Speaker 1: The new and improved iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: So cool. Thank you.
Speaker 1: But did you know that you can make almost anything a preset? Your favorite local station, sure, but your favorite podcast that amazing playlist you made for free.
Speaker 2: Even iHeart stations.
Speaker 1: You can't get on the radio like free Form Radio and Alternative re one.
Speaker 2: That's a game changer.
Speaker 1: Whatever you choose, it's as easy as a tap to make a preset, find out what everyone's talking about, and get the new and improved free iHeartRadio app today, I Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: Billy Cunningham, the Great America, welcome this Monday afternoon in the Tri State all as well. The reports of my demise are somewhat premature. It's not true. You can't believe what Sloaney says. I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light, not Sloaney. But that's a different issue. Jonan, You and I now is the great Rob Sanders Sanders for Kentucky. Colonel Sanders for Kentucky may step up and take over the Senate seat. And Rob Sanders, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Colonel how are.
Speaker 2: You, Willie? I'm doing well.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me back on this Monday. It's nice of you to sub for Ken Brew today and you know fill in. Yeah, you're a very addequate fill in. It's nice to have the great American substituting for the average American.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm back, loud, proud, and sassy, and let's talk. First of all, we're gonna talk about Mega versus McConnell, Not Mike McConnell, but Mitch McConnell. Well, we'll deal with that in the second half. But of course, when I was monitoring events all over the world, I see that you had a bank robbery happening on sixth in Madison, a US bank on Friday afternoon. Just in time, get you home by six or seven pm at night. Tell the American people what happened with the shootout on the mean streets of Comington.
Speaker 4: Well, Covington police were called to the US bank, as you mentioned, at six and Madison. The initial call was for a bank robbery that was ongoing, with the subject trying to rob the bank with a can of gasoline.
Speaker 2: That was a first for me.
Speaker 4: Never had anybody rob a bank by Arson and Kenton County since I've been around here.
Speaker 2: But then in the.
Speaker 4: Middle of that, while officers were responding they got updates that the suspect also had a gun and had displayed a gun, so they knew they were going to encounter an armed bank robber. At that point, to A Covington's Finest arrived on the scene. Actually a whole bunch of them arrived on the scene, but one of them stayed at the bank and some folks near the hotel. Covington flagged the other two officers down and were pointing down an alley that is between Madison and Scott Street, six and seven streets. It's an east west alley in there, saying the guy you're looking for went down there to A Covington's Finest went down that alley where they encountered Charles Davis, who is sixty two years old. He's from right here in Covington, believe or not, on Scott Street. The biggest chakra of this whole story, Willia, is that he wasn't from Ohio. Nevertheless, mister Davis was walking down the alley dropping money as he went.
Speaker 2: There was money blowing all over the alley.
Speaker 4: With the officers were coming down to apprehend mister Davis, he pulled what appeared to be a handgun from his pocket, and the two Covington officers opened fire and striking mister Davis. He fell to the ground, but didn't stay on the ground very long. Went for the gun again while he was on the ground, causing the officers to discharge their weapons a second time. They eventually charged mister Davis, took him into custody, got him in medical attention, Covington Fire Department took him straight over to University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where they are remarkably good at patching people back up from gunshot.
Speaker 2: Wounds, which only creates more work for me, Willie.
Speaker 4: But nevertheless, we'll be happy to take care of mister Davis, although he might end up getting charged federally. The FBI actually showed up on the scene, which is a rather new thing. It must be this new leadership at the FBI, Willie. But they're getting back in the bank robber business and may actually be prosecuting somebody, which is welcome.
Speaker 2: James.
Speaker 4: We're always willing to share the wealth here in Kenton County when it comes to crime, and if our friends in the federal government want to prosecute mister Davis for robbing us bank, we certainly welcome them back. To Kenton County. It's you know, funny Willie. When I started out as an assistant prosecutor, the FEDS took every bank robbery, and then it dropped down to, well, only bank robberies with handguns, and then it dropped down to, well, only if it's a serial bank robber. And we really haven't seen much federal prosecution when it comes to bank robberies in the past few years. But it seems now that that is going to change. I can only assume that that is a newfound change brought on by the Trump administration and Cash Bettel being in charge of the FBI and Pam Bondi being in charge of the Department of Justice. But we welcome them back to the bank robbery prosecution business.
Speaker 3: I rob sixty two years old. I assume this is at his first rodeo because it's rather stupid what he did. Unfortunately, he's going to live, which is another problem. But I guess the FBI is going to quit rating the home of ex presidents tipping CNN ahead of time. What they're going to do maybe get back in the business of bank robberies and forgeries and and and bezel on that kind of stuff. But is mister Davis, is this his first rodeo at the age of sixty two years old with a gallon of gasoline?
Speaker 4: Well, he surprisingly will he has no felony convictions here in Kentucky. Now, I haven't had a chance to run his enc IC yet to find out if he's got some across the river. Maybe he's a transplant from Cincinnati, and that's why I'm surprised to learn that he was living here in Covington. But nevertheless, I don't know if he's been convicted of a felon he's in another state. That'll be part of the ongoing investigation, of course, which may not land on my desk. It sounds like, but we'll see.
Speaker 3: You're more than a happen to give up the case. You got enough to do, right, We got plenty.
Speaker 4: Of work going on over here, Willie. We got all kinds of rapes, robbery's, child molestings, the murders, you name it. They you know, is for a safer town as Kenton County is. We still have plenty of prosecution business to be done. I'm starting to trial tomorrow in fact, so you know.
Speaker 2: We sit pointing.
Speaker 4: That's why we're willing to share the wealth with our friends in the federal government, if you know, whenever they want to prosecute somebody, all they have to do is let us know.
Speaker 3: So inside the bank you have a handgun and a can of gasolene. Kind of walk us through what happened at the teller station that Did he threaten to maybe shoot the gallon of gasoline to blow it up?
Speaker 2: Did he?
Speaker 3: Why bring gasolene when you got a gun? Get into the mine in Charles Davis.
Speaker 4: Well, I haven't seen the video from inside the bank yet, Willie, but just based upon the radio traffic that the dispatch center was putting out to the police officers, he apparently was threatening to light the can of gasolene on fire, sort of blow the bank up, I suppose by lighting a can of gasolene on fire and himself. Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how that was supposed to work out, but that's what they were being told over the radio as police were responding, and then as they were on their way to the bank, that's when the dispatchers told the responding officers that he had a gun. Now, I'm not sure I believe this gun may turn out to be a fake gun. I've seen some pictures of what was taken into evidence, but it certainly looks.
Speaker 2: Real enough that if I were the officers.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be waiting around to find out if it was real or fake when that gun's pointed at you and you're looking right down the barrel, if it doesn't have a fluorescent orange tip on the end of it or something. And even sometimes then because lord knows, we've had criminals in the past that have made, you know, painted their guns up to look like toys to try and trick the police. But nevertheless, this one didn't look just like a handgun. It was dark, it had a barrel, it was pointed right at the officers, so you know, it's no wonder. It's said old saying that Fafodo Willie, if you're gonna play stupid games, you're gonna win stupid prizes. Mister Dave is lucky to be alive. He's lucky that they have just fantastic doctors and nurses over at University Hospital that managed to save people's lives on a regular.
Speaker 2: Basis, and as often as people.
Speaker 4: Get shot on the north side of the river, that's a really good thing. But nevertheless, it does mean more work for the prosecutors on the south side of the river when the person getting shot is a bank robber, and so.
Speaker 3: Rob Sanders, when you take someone across the Ohio River, Tony Bender may not know this extradition is involved, and so you have to gunshot wounds. If you get a gunshot wound, get to University Hospital, you got a good shot of living. Unless you're a Cabaca Abba. That's a different story. So when you take a bank robber who is shot to U see medical, what is the process to get him back to Kenton County, Well, you hit on.
Speaker 2: A very important point.
Speaker 4: Willie University Medical Center is the only eleven one trauma center within probably one hundred miles of here, or real close to one hundred miles. The next closest one is University of Kentucky Medical Center down in Lexington, which I always try and talk to fireman and a driving them to Lexington so I don't have to extraduie them back to Kentucky. But I don't know to saving people's lives, I guess comes above more work for Rob Sanders in the fireman's mind, because they always go and take them to UC. But then we have to get warrants for those people's arrests. We're not allowed to just drive back across the river and put them in handcuffs and drive them back to Kentucky.
Speaker 2: We have to get warrants for their arrest. We put the warrant in NCIC, then.
Speaker 4: Get our friends at the Cincinnati Police Department or Hamilton County Sheriff's Office to serve those warrants and take them to the Hamilton County Justice Center. And even though it's just a few blocks away, Willie, they have to sit there in the Hamilton County Detention Center until they get a court appearance, and they can waive extradition, which means the Kenton County sheriffil drive over in the next day or two and pick them up, or they can fight extradition, in which case it could take.
Speaker 2: Months to get them back.
Speaker 4: And we have to call our friends down at the Governor's office and get a governor's warrant and send that paperwork.
Speaker 2: It's a whole lot of work, whole.
Speaker 4: Lot of paperwork, all sorts of red tape just to get somebody a few blocks north across the river. But nevertheless, those are all the hoops we have to jump through. It's no different bringing them back from Cincinnati as it would be from Hawaii or or any other corner of the United States. It doesn't matter how near or far away that dependent is. If they're on the other side of the state line, we have to jump through all these hoops to extradite them back to Kentucky.
Speaker 3: And Saint E's is a great hospital. Hell I was born there. But nonetheless, if they're not being designated a trauma Level one, if you don't take them to the best facility, you could be accused of not caring sufficiently for this shot bank robber by taking him to a hospital not designated by National Institute of Health as a Level one trauma center. I get that now. Secondly, as you may know, Tony Bender's good friend, Mitch McConnell has decided not to run for reelection. I'm not sure he's going to make it alive till next year, but that's another issue. And when I talked to Mega types, they tell me this is going to be the Battle Royale because the Trumpster does not want to have someone like Mitch McConnell represent Kentucky in the US Senate. Because Mitch McConnell's turn to the dark side. Of course, Trump won Kentucky by thirty percentage points, but that's lost on Mitch McConnell, and so it's going to be Mega versus McConnell, Mega versus McConnell. Who wins that matchup?
Speaker 4: Willie, That's a really confusing question, because you know, there's everybody in the race, at least everybody that's rumored to be getting in the race so far, has got connections to both Trump and to McConnell. Especially when you're talking about Daniel Cameron. You know, when he ran for governor Kentucky, he had Donald Trump's endorsement, much to the chagrin of some of his opponents who thought that they were going to get the Trump endorsement and did not. He came out in favor of Daniel Cameron. Now Daniel Cameron's running again. But of course Daniel Cameron got his start in politics by being general counsel for Senator McConnell. So obviously he is very close to Senator McConnell. But everybody involved has been closing. Senator McConnell's been involved in Kentucky politics pretty much synonymous with federal Kentucky politics for the last thirty forty years. So it's very different cult to find anybody who can make it on a stage that large where they could be a viable candidate for the US Senate in Kentucky that doesn't have some kind of connections to the McConnell network and the McConnell network. Even though Mitch McConnell has gotten sideways, I would say with the bulk of the Republican Party, most of whom are very strong supporters Donald Trump here in Kentucky of late, he still has a very large network. He's had hundreds of people that have worked for him as either interns or students or along the way. The McConnell's scholarship program in Kentucky is very well known. Lots of the people that receive McConnell's scholarships go on to work in Senator McConnell's office. Needless to say, this isn't so much to pat him on the back as it is as much to articulate just how broad his network is. So even though he is on his way out the door, there are a lot of people that are very fond of Senator McConnell. Who are very influential in Kentucky pics in.
Speaker 2: Their own rate.
Speaker 4: And so it'll be very interesting to see whether Donald Trump endorses in the Senate race, whether Mitch McConnell endorses in the Senate race, and where the McConnell network gets involved when he they call it the McConnell machine, and it will be interesting to see if that machine is united behind one candidate or if they're fractured and broken up behind multiple candidates, which certainly is the possibility if multiple candidates with McConnell connections jump in the race.
Speaker 3: Well, of course, Tony Bender of Boone County loves Andy Bascher, the current governor, And of course there's reports that Bescher is going to jump out of the He's got two more years to serve that he's going to run for the Senate seat. So give me a matchup, Andy Bascher versus Cameron, Andy Bscherer versus Scott Jennings, this CNN contributor Andy Bascher versus Rob Sanders, the Colonel or Andy Bascherer versus Tony Bender. Does Andy does Bascher win that thing?
Speaker 4: I don't think Basher jumps in at all, Willie, And I'll tell you why. I think he's hoping to run for president in twenty twenty eight, and if he runs for Senate and loses, his chances of being the Democratic nominee for president go way down. Now, as you know, Willie, I'm not exactly the biggest Andy but Sheer fan in the world. I don't think he's got a shot, a prayer anything to be president of the United States. But nevertheless, there's a lot of people in the Democratic Party in Kentucky and a lot of people in the Democratic Party nationwide that I don't know if they just haven't met Andy Basheer, because he's about as exciting as as white toast, but they think he's got a shot at president. I think he thinks he's got a shot at president. So I don't think he jumps in the Senate race at all, and that's why he's trying to keep his powder drive for the presidential race. Nevertheless, if he were to change his mind and jump in the Senate race, it would be interesting. I think Scott Jennings could be a very formidable, formidable opponent to anybody. I don't know that he's got the name id, but I've seen him on TV before He is very sharp witted, very intelligent, very varianced when it comes to politics. He's been involved in campaigns, usually more behind the scenes for decades, but he's got his own PR company that's very adept at running campaigns, and the folks down there acus they really know what they're doing. I think Andy Barr has done a good job staying elected and re elected in his congressional district, which encompasses a lot of the Lexington area, which is one of the few blue holdout locations. You know, Lexington's much more politically similar to Hamilton County or Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: More specifically, it's very blue.
Speaker 4: Yet Andy bar keeps getting elected down there, so I don't think you can discount his chances. And then you never know if another congressman from Kentucky, like our own Thomas Massey, or like Jamie Comer, might jump in the race as well, so it could get very crowded, it could get very messy. As we've already mentioned, Daniel Cameron's still hanging out and everybody's been knowing he's been eyeing that seat since he lost the governor race. But that you know that lost in the governor race makes him vulnerable Willy. It's you know, some people smell blood in the water, and that might factor into Andy Basheer's decision too. He could change his mind if he thinks that Daniel Cameron is going to be the Republican nominee. He's probably sitting there thinking to himself, well, I already beat him once, why wouldn't I beat him again? But this will probably be a very different risk because when we're talking federal politics as opposed to state politics, you know, it's it's a whole different ballgame because we're not just talking about who's given out the big FEMA checks or who's holding their drinks with Andy or whatever he called his press conferences every day during COVID. I think, generally speaking, your average voter in Kentucky looks at the governorship and thinks they would do far less damage if they elect a Democrat governor as opposed to electing a Democrat to the United States Senate.
Speaker 2: Of course, donated legislature.
Speaker 3: We got a big question for you. Of course, you're an honorary Kentucky colonel, as I am. Colonel's for Kentucky. Even though the headquarters have left the Louisville I love the KFC products. Could you possibly, as Colonel Sanders, run in Kentucky and put a chicken in every pot? Is that a possibility?
Speaker 2: It's always a possibility, Willie.
Speaker 4: But the biggest downside about that is I've spent the last eighteen plus years now building the Commonwealth Attorney's Office into the best felony prosecutor's office in Kentucky. And if I leave, guess who gets to appoint my replacement. Andy Baser would get to appoint my replacement. I wouldn't trust him to point one of the fine assistants that work for me. I've got a number of them here that could run my office if anything were to God forbid, happened to me. But it doesn't. Just you know, it's not like having a lieutenant governor or a vice president where they automatically assumed control of my office. If anything happens to me, or if I run for US Senate and win, my vacancy would be filled by the Andy Basheer himself, and I would have no control over who that person was. And the last thing I'm going to do is turn Kenton County in the Comal with Attorney's Office over to some George Soros loving type to be a liberal voice in the prosecutor's office. That's the last thing kent me neat.
Speaker 3: I think a fried chicken in every pot will make a lot of sense to me, Colonel, but we got to run. We'll see what happens. Scott Jennings, I love that guy. I've met Daniel Cameron under your leadership seems good. And nonetheless Andy Barr would be fine too. It's just Kentucky's got to stay Republican because the next four years is going to be rough no matter who's in office. Once again, Colonel Rob Sanders of Kentucky, thanks again for coming on the Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Show, Willie. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 4: And hey, let me know when you hear which game Vanilla Ice will be playing at this year at the Reds Games, and you know we'll attend his concert together.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the schedule yet.
Speaker 3: I'm going to talk to talk to the powers that be Karen Kraft and let's do it. We'll be dancing on our leisure suits looking.
Speaker 2: Good, excellent, Willy. I look forward to it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Rob Sanders for Kentucky at fried chicken in every pot and the coleslaw All on news radio seven hundred WULW.
Speaker 2: In this edition of The Marketers Report, Cory Marcisoto, Chief Marketing Officer,