Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I need to start off the four o'clock hour by apologizing to my partner here, Austin Montgomery. I just really I forgot that. You know, whenever we we do when we're working remotely, I turn on my webcam, and you know, in fact, it's the same thing even if I am in studio, because if I'm in studio doing the show in the same building, we're actually in different rooms, so we see each other view through a web through a camera rather than you know, the window like they used to do back in the old school rainew days. So whenever I'm at home, it's the same thing. I just pop up on my webcam. Well, I forgot where the webcam was, and I just realized as I leaned over to plug in my charger for my phone, and then I dropped it and I couldn't get it, couldn't get it plugged in because it's right next to the outlets, right by the couch here. I just had my rear in directly in the camera for like thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: I did not even pay attention.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, okay, good, but you're probably thinking, damn it, he's not gonna yell anyways. I thought.
Speaker 3: Just for scientific purposes.
Speaker 2: Oh man. So yeah, I didn't realize it. But there's a slight delay when I move fast. So like when I see my my camera, you know, it's a slight delay. I don't know why. Maybe it's slow connection. I'm not sure. But when I quickly turned around to sit down, I looked at my camera and it hadn't caught up just yet, for like a millisecond, I just saw my ass right there on the.
Speaker 3: Screen a moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do have pants on, but yes, something like that. So great, let's let's get the second hour started here on a Monday. It's coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget. You could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. A lot of reacting to the weekend, and of course a lot of reacting to the weather, because we did, in fact get a lot of snow over these last couple of days. Not only did the meteorologists I feel like, get it almost exactly right as far as the amount. They also got the timing down. I mean, sure enough. I woke up on Sunday morning at about eight thirty and there was already a good layer of snow on the ground and it really never stopped until later on in the afternoon. And then of course it turned to that sleep freezing rain stuff ice and you know, got colder, and then this morning there was a good amount of snow that came down. So obviously that's impacted a lot of people's schedules, and we probably don't have the exact same audience today. But you know what, maybe we got people that are out working today because they can't take the day off, so they're still in their daily commute and they still have us as part of their daily rotation. If that's the case, thank you. But you know, however, you're listening wherever you're listening, we appreciate you, and just know you can always listen live on the iHeartRadio app. I'm gonna keep propping this up because I want this to become a huge part of the show, and that is the talkback feature in the iHeartRadio app. So again, I know a lot of you have probably heard me mention enough and you're thinking, shut the hell up, Nick, we get it, we know what it is. Well, maybe there's some that weren't paying attention. So I'm going to remind you once more. If you listen to the show on the iHeart Radio app, all you have to do is click the red button in the top right little record button, and you can you can share something with us thirty seconds. You can ask a question, give a take, You can insult me if you'd like, You can make a joke. I mean, you really can do whatever. I don't know if it's all going to be played on the show, but you can do whatever you want. I want to really make this a because I think this is great. Not only I mean, I know I sound like a company man here, but like this, this is I think the better way to have interaction from your listeners via their voice, right, like the text line's great. Twitter. Heck, I used to read emails on this show until not that long ago, and then I realized probably don't need to keep mentioning that that's a way for you to be a part of the show. But anyways, you know, people just don't call into shows like they used to, and really it's not great radio at times. Not to say the people who call our show don't contribute, but it's just, you know it call in talk shows this day and age, like I would say postgame shows where it's raw and it's as soon as the game is ended. Like those I think will always exist in the way that they do just because of what that medium is. But when it comes to just wanting to be able to share your opinion with somebody who knows, you know, the subject you're talking about, and they're probably on their platform radio, they're going to let you share what you think to others that you know might have a similar opinion or you know, just are in the know with whatever you're discussing. Back in the day, long long time ago, you didn't have a Twitter account that you couldhide behind and just say whatever. You didn't have social media, The Internet didn't exist. Well, there was no text line, So like, you know, that's how think about this, Austin. If you wanted to share an opinion on sports with somebody live in real time, reaching other people who have interest in what you know you have interest in, yeah, the only way to do it was to call in on a live talk show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because you couldn't.
Speaker 2: You couldn't. I mean, there's the end of social media. You know, it didn't exist. Like you can go door to door if you want, you can go to a sports bar where the game's on, but like you know that that clearly is just not where we are anymore. Therefore, people don't feel the need to pick up the phone and wait on hold. And I mean people don't even call anybody anymore, right, like people text yeah so and again that's why the text line has has certainly become a huge part of how we interact with listeners of this show. And I know we're not alone, I know it's everywhere, but this is because I think there is something about getting a different voice, different voices I should say that I think just gives you that feel of a radio show. And look, we're still going to take calls, trust me, I'm just stating I'm trying to. I think the talkback feature for those that listen live on the Art radio app like that could be a convenient way for people to contribute to the show, and it's easier for them, and it's easier for us to just hit play and I can filter through what you know, what what should be played on the show, that kind of stuff. So again, you don't even have to sign up for anything. You don't have to, Like, you don't have to, We don't. We won't even have your phone number. Like, all I see is just we've got an eighteen second fourteen second talk back clip and you know, I'll play them during the break and then decide which ones I feel like, you know, are worthy of hearing. And trust me, you got a better chance of getting on the air if you insult me. That's that's good show fodder.
Speaker 3: Man, it's great.
Speaker 2: And we don't take ourselves call you a card boy. Yeah, we don't take ourselves too serious around here.
Speaker 4: So another programming teaser, just because we may for listeners that definitely want to try to take advantage of the red talkback mike feature is and we I do it on my stations too. There's going to be probably giveaways in the future that require you to go on and use the talkback mike feature, So we do that on other stations, and that could make its way to seven ninety two.
Speaker 2: Austin, you just gave me a great idea. Yeah, because I again, I really want to make this, make this a thing, and there's no better way to do it than saying, hey, if you want to win tickets to go see this awesome band that's coming to town, you want pass this still Louder than Live or something. Yes, that'll get them. That'll get him using the talk back, and then it'll just become routine for him, exactly. That'll next time we have a giveaway. That's what we're doing. Yeah, you gotta. We'll ask a trivia question and the first people that can, you know, get the first person that can get through on the talkback with the right answer, then they'll win.
Speaker 3: So that's right.
Speaker 4: Instead of having us battle this guy called first, this guy called first, does does he even have the right answer?
Speaker 3: We just skim through really really quick.
Speaker 4: Play this fourteen second clip, eighteen second clip, ten second clip. They can even insult you why they're answering it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean again, I'm pretty good at laughing at myself. I developed that skill at a young age and probably not good for my mental health. Maybe it says a lot more about me than I realized, But hey, I am who I am, and at this point probably not going to change much, you know, I'm getting older.
Speaker 3: Iron sharpens iron, all right.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned the school closing and how or the school closings and how as a kid, I really really enjoyed the thrill of waking up and running to the TV and looking at that bottom ticker. And I knew they did it in alphabetical order. And I knew once we got to certain counties like Breckenridge, bullets up next. What are we getting? I mean, if anything, maybe give you a two hour delay. Come on, come on, I need something. I'll just give me something, because I feel like you stuck it to the man. If you got a snow day, even if it's an hour, yeah, it's kind of feel like you won.
Speaker 3: It's like you're waiting for your horse to come.
Speaker 2: Mother nature had your back when you didn't want to go to school for a day or maybe miss an hour to whatever it may be. So if we got to Carroll County and Bullet wasn't on there, then I knew I had to. I had to make that long walk from the living room to the bathroom to get ready for you know, shower and leave, and it was just, you know, wasn't fun. So but but on the text line, you know, I I kind of feel The reason I mentioned my age is that, like I kind of feel like I'm not a boot. You know, there are people that are grown ups, not that much you know, younger than me, that they didn't even get to experience that because by the time they were in school you could still see it on the bottom ticker. And in fact, I was watching the news last night. It's still the thing. But that has got to be that's got to be one of the ways people find out that they're out of school the least, you know what I'm saying, Like, if you're seeing it there, you know, I kind of feel like if you are a student, if you have a kid in the school system, if you are a teacher, you work there, you're gonna there's gonna be some kind of an automated message or some kind of a social media thing, some kind of app that tells you. And look, if you get a snow day, you get a snow day. But I'm kind of, you know, having a moment here thinking maybe I am getting old because this person says, Nick, I'm thirty two years old, not that much younger than you, And I never relied on the local television station ticker. Wow, they did they not have the internet back then? Look, they had the Internet, but like it was in its weird stage.
Speaker 4: Like I mean you had to be paid for it or be subscribed to the end world dial up.
Speaker 2: Or so we're talking. Like by the way, I graduate high school in two thousand and so maybe by then it wasn't you know, No, I know, I gotta be honest, I think it was, like I was gonna say, maybe by then we were a little bit you know, yeah, in the tech world. But no, like smartphones had kind of just become a thing to where like when you would look think about this, you can update a website and in fact, you can create and manage an entire website without using anything other than your phone yea or a tablet. Like back then, to update websites you needed to be on a physical computer. So like and also no, no, I mean, like this is I hope I'm not making people laugh by saying this, because it's just the reality of it. Like, not everybody that I grew up with had the Internet, Like, so if you could. You know, we're at a point now where if you tell somebody in order for them to be able to get information they need to go to a website. Now it's just like there's really no I mean, unfortunately, there are people I guess that still can't access it if you don't have a phone, if you're without a home or something like that. But like society at least has the standard of, hey, you can get the info online, Like at this point, figure it out, you know what I'm saying. Back then, like imagine telling hey, we're gonna update everybody again this there are people a lot older than me listening and they're like, gosh, this guy thinks he's old. He sounds like an idiot. It's not that long ago. But there are people listening that are like Austin's age and younger that are like, wait a second, not everybody had the internet, because look, the Internet when I was young, it wasn't a phone thing. Now all people think about the Internet is that do they have access to data on their iPhone or their smartphone or like this is another thing that used to drive me crazy. When people would say my wifi's out, my WiFi is not working, they would refer to wi fi as Internet. It's not right, it's not that so like I had Internet long before WiFi existed. I mean, so it's just you know, everybody you get accustomed to wherever we are in the digital world at the time you're old enough to have a phone that kind of stuff. But like back to what I was saying, when it comes to school system, it would have been a national story if the school system I went to in nineteen ninety nine or in two thousand and two told every parent in order to get updates on school closings, you need to have that you need to go to the website, because there'd be a lot of people that one would feel like that's insane. And also there'd be people that claim I don't have the Internet, like we don't, we don't, Like there are people believe it or not that when the Internet like became a thing even and it's like tiny, like even when like when you had the AOL CD ROM discs or whatever, like back then that thought, yeah, this won't work. Nah, this is probably just be a phasey I'm out, I'm not in the Internet. It won't there's no way it'll it'll be able to you know, once everybody gets on it. There won't be enough bandwidth or whatever, like, it won't work well, clearly it works. It's a huge part of what we do in every way, and that's how we get all of our information now, I mean, but back then, you know, back in my day, we were lied on the TV and the ticker. So to answer your question, smart ass, I'm thirty seven, and I don't think it's that uncommon for people around my age to you know, used to to not be as young and and and you know, hip like you to where you could get at you could get information on your phone or whatever it may be. But if you're that, if you're that much younger than me, like when you were a little kid, I guarantee you because what do you say thirty one or thirty two? Which one is? You said thirty one or thirty two on the text line. I'm thirty seven, It's like we're not that far off in age, so we're like I would imagine either you grew up in a different world than I did, a different planet maybe that had some you know, tech advances that I wasn't privy to. But yeah, hopefully those of you that got a snowday today, if you're a teacher or maybe you enjoyed the snow day with your kids, have fun because you're getting one tomorrow too, And actually, did did they cancel school for Wednesday as well in JCPS?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I kind of think they did, which seems a little bit premature, but you know, with the power outages and it not getting warm enough for any of this to melt on its own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of that. That's gonna be the worst.
Speaker 2: Part, no doubt about it. All Right, So we talked a little bit a little bit about the NFL playoff matchups. We've got the Super wild Card weekend, some really good games. Also talked a lot about Lousll's twenty point victory at Virginia. I mean, I'm now looking at the rest of this schedule feeling as if this Louisville team can I mean right now for what it's worth, then nothing, because they got a lot of basketball to be played, and they're clearly gonna need to finish strong to feel like they're safely in the tournament. But for those that do assess the bracket every day and give you bracketology, as silly as it is to some, because you know, it's there's no point in really trying to get I mean, I guess, I mean I'm a s guilty as anybody looking at these check ins, but like clearly, Louisville being in the tournament today if it started doesn't mean anything. They got to finish strong. But right now everybody has them in, not even as like the first four or the last four in. I think the lowest I've seen them is like the next four out or I'm sorry, yeah yeah, so not that you know. I guess eighth team is what I saw yesterday from Brackettville, Like they're the eighth, Like there's seven teams that would that would be out before they would be out. And and the game against Clemson tomorrow that's huge. I mean, that's one of the You've got momentum in a major way. You're at home, you fresh off of five star commit two good wins against Virginia in Carolina. And I'm not even saying good wins because like those teams are great, but Louisville just played really well and didn't need to shoot well from the three to really take care of their opponents. So tomorrow's huge against Clemson. So we'll get back into the Louisville hoops stuff coming up here shortly, but I do want to acknowledge the Kentucky result from Saturday, because you know, I kind of stopped saying it because you know, it may not have ever been funny, and it really wasn't meant to be funny. I wasn't trying to make a joke. But make no mistake about it, Cala Perry in Kentucky, that was a breakup. Bb In and Cal broke up. They got divorced, and it was not as ugly as I guess it could have been, certainly not the ugliest divorce out there, but both sides knew, Hey, we had a great run, and I know you'll find somebody else, but we just need you know, we need to cut ties because you're great. But this just it's its course. I'm ready for something new. You're ready for something new. You know Cal's now sleeping on the couch and not in bed with BBN. Maybe you know, maybe he's out late saying he's working, but maybe you know they had drifted apart. It needed to happen. The change needed to happen. So that's why I kept saying early on Kentucky's winning the breakup because they beat Duke. Cal didn't have a great start in the first few games in Fayetteville and now here. We are early January, less than a month until these two teams play each other and Cal brings Arkansas to up and Kentucky isn't winning the breakup. They've won the breakup. I mean, I guess there's a scenario that Pope flames out or Cal ends up getting hot and really thriving at Arkansas, But those two things I think are very unlikely. I don't know what the ceiling is for Mark Pope. I mean, I think he can win a title there, because every coach that's coached there has for the most part, but those don't come easy. But he's not gonna have the first round losses that Cal has, and he's gonna win games like he did against Florida. I mean, Kentucky's got a guy who is quite literally, I think, perfect for that job. I hate saying it makes me kind of sick. Austin looked at me dirty when I said it just now, But like it's they have a really good coach and they're going to lose games. Who knows how deep they're going to go in the tournament this year? Again, who knows if he's going to win a title, because again, those things don't happen that often, but like they have to feel phenomenal about where they are in every aspect right now compared to where they were with Cal and it and again, like make no mistake about it, Cal getting his ass kicked by Rick Barnes again, this time it being at Arkansas, not at Kentucky, and then him acknowledging that he didn't do a shoot around and maybe he should have done a shoot around, Like all the stuff that Cal did that you became very very annoyed by and led to, you know, you wanting to have the separation. He's now doing it with less success at a place like Arkansas, and you've got a guy who you know understands that the job is bigger than him. And I'd say Kentucky basketball fans right now probably feel better right now than they have in a long long time. I wish it wasn't the case, but you know, I'll real call it like it is. I think you could say the same for Louisville fans because you know, a little bit of a different situation, in fact, a very different situation. But like you know, both fan bases I think feel pretty good right now. Which as much as we like to rovel with one another, and it's always great for louisvill fans when they're great in Kentucky stinks and vice versa, when both are heading in the right direction and both are generally speaking doing well to where they're believed to be two of the better programs in the sport. Clearly Kentucky's there now Loisvel's got a ways to go. But like that's better for the rivalry to be honest with you, So all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine. Dy.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there are many of you that had to go get out and be out on this weather the last couple of days, had to work, had some things to do, whatever. Maybe maybe you just didn't want to stay home, so you know, you probably needed to get some fuel, probably needed to you know, wash off your windshield a little bit, maybe move some of that snow that keeps dripping down on your windshield and freezing up. So you probably stopped in Ato Thorntons to do that, didn't you, Because that Thornton's isn't closed on days like this or even yesterday or tomorrow. They're open, They're they're there for you. Many locations in the Kentucky and area certainly appreciate our friends over at Thornton's. And as you know, we are proudly fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. All Right, so the NFL now has five jobs open. I believe there's been some coaches fired. Obviously, there's been coaches fired long ago that that the job's been open, right like the Who's who got fired? Mid season?
Speaker 5: The Jags is open, but they just fired Maron today. The Patriots open coach got fired. Eber Flus got fired. Robert Salaberes. I'm shocked Doug Peterson made it to the end of the season.
Speaker 2: I know. I think though at this point may like somebody getting fired like Black Monday. I feel like more often than not, it's become a thing. And it's not just the NFL that has like the black whatever day that therefore they just claim that that's where coaches careers die because they get fired. It's every sport that usually if you're going to make a move, you do it pretty quickly, immediately after the season comes to an end. But I think in the NFL it's been more routine to where if you survive Black Monday, you're going to keep your job, right because they know, like nobody's making me. And I guess technically you could get rid of somebody who flames out early in the playoff because you knew expectations were high and they should have been a lot better. So I guess there has been instances where that's happened. But I kind of feel like there's already kind of a big there's gonna be a big off season for coaching jobs. And maybe I'm wrong, because again, I know there's changes made every single year, but I think when you look at the Bears, the Patriots, the Jets, the Saints.
Speaker 4: Somehow Brian Dabile retained his job over in New York, I.
Speaker 2: Think I'll be honest with you, I think he deserves another. Well, they were bad last year, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were bad last year afterlous contract. Yes so so, but he did make the playoffs and he souped up Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: And they whenever he whenever he gave them some success that clearly didn't sustain it this year. You know, they had been terrible forever. Like, people don't realize that the Eli Manning era ended really poorly and that they were awful for a while after that. So you know, I think I can understand why they To me, I would understand if you're the Giants, you saw enough where he did get you competitive. He did some things with the guy that clearly isn't going to be in the league much longer, Daniel Jones. He probably had no decision he got. First of all, he got sequan when he was injured a lot, which isn't his fault, and he certainly wasn't the one that made the decision to let him walk. So like I could see Dave Ball And this may sound crazy to a Giants fan who you know, hates him and whiches he was gone, but I kind of feel like that that the Giants could see him as a guy. Look, we we know this was bad, but a lot of it's not on him, and if we let him go, someone will hire him and he may crush it, and we don't want that scenario to happen. So I think it makes sense for them to keep him unless they knew they had somebody ready to go that they knew would be in fact better. The Colts keeping their whole circus intact is not at all surprise, and it was expected by fans. However, I do see like there's been a lot of talk in the NFL like, are you kid me? They're not making any changes? Yeah? Do you realize who owns the team? Do you realize that, like what's going on that we don't care the Colts? And I'm getting off track here, but I'm just gonna vent the Colts are really one of the worst franchises in the NFL as far as like do you really like who are you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: They have only been good because of Luck. I mean, they got two first round picks and Peyton Manning was one of them, and without him, you're nothing, and they no pun intended. They got very lucky when they were able to go from from Peyton man to Andrew Luck. They got really lucky. And then Andrew Luck retired and you've really since then, you've seen a team an organization basically show that they they don't know who they are. They they have an identity crisis because they don't have an identity without those two guys, and they they don't have a commitment to one thing or the other. They they've actually again not been the worst team. Again, there's something to be said. I suppose by having, you know, it be a real rarity that you're not alive for potentially getting in the playoffs. But like it shows that you think that that's good enough because you you know, you didn't even tank when you got Richardson. You just you tried to be better than that and that's as good as you could be. So you ended up taking Anthony Richardson every other year that for the most part, they're they're competitive enough to where they don't get a good draft pick and they don't do anything in the playoffs or they or they or they completely embarrassed themselves and their and their fans when they you know, all you got to do a couple of years ago is not lose to the Jaguarars who had one seat, who had one win all season, and then you lost to them to close out the regular season, kept you from the playoffs. You're in a live for the playoffs in Week what sixteen whatever it was last weekend and you do what you lose to the Giants, giving the Giants their only win on their home field all year, and you did an embarrassing fashion. You may Drew Locke look like Peyton Manning of old, like the Colts are an absolute joke. They've benefited from two guys, and I think Dungee deserves some credit as well. But outside of that, man, this franchise doesn't know who they are. Or maybe I'm a bitter fan who does know who they are. They know who they are. They're telling me who they are, and I'm the one having a crisis year. I feel like I'm on the couch at the therapist's office, like that's what this is. They're telling us. No, we're going to keep the band together. I mean yeah, I mean we were almost a playoff team this year. What are you talking about? Like they they they're telling us actually that this is this is who they are. Like it or not? What are you going to do? And I don't know the answer to that. I guess just be sad and be miserable because they're they're telling us, in fact who they are. It's not an idea. I keep saying, Oh, they don't they don't know who they want to be. Do they want to be terrible and really get a franchise quarterback again and admit that they were wrong about Richardson? Or you know, do they want to you know, keep just you know, keep the ceiling at eight non wins, maybe sniff the playoffs because in their eyes, they're looking at Richardson and thinking, hey, we've been able to kind of hide him here and there. You know, we actually still wont some games this year, Like we're winning. What do you mean, what's the issue? Why wou't we draft another quarterback? We haven't gone in the tank in two straight years. We you know, haven't found ourselves in the bottom ten of the league like they're telling us who they are. And I just, I guess, more than anything, I'm having a tough time accepting it anyways. Of the open jobs here, Austin Montgomery, I'm your agent. You want to get an NFL job? All these franchises want you? What franchise? Am I calling back? Am I calling back the Patriots? Am I calling back the Bears? Am I calling back the Jags? Am I calling back the Saints? Am I calling the Jets? Who do you want me? Is your representation to or to to to get a deal together for you to become their next head coach. I got to keep in mind where they are right now today.
Speaker 4: I think out of all those teams you named, are all disasters. I think that the Saints of their salary cap situation has finally caught up to them. Their ownership has been weird. They got a bunch of an aging roster out of all of them. I kind of like the Patriots. They're gonna have a top ten pick this next year. I think they found their guy. Drake May kind of started off a little bit rough, but he came into it at the end of the year. Now, granted they didn't you know, they didn't even give draw mail till a Black Monday. They just said screw him at the end of yesterday's game. I think, and I thought that they had probably one of the worst rosters, but they're young, they have cap space. I like them over my God, the Jets and I don't know, I guess you could probably say the Bears in there too. It's hard for me, as a Minnesota fan to say, because you got Caleb Williams, you still really don't know what's there. But he also the last year has been coached by eber Flues, who's a defensive guy. And when you go for a save our franchise quarterback like that, you need to have someone that works with them on the daily, someone that has an offensive mind, something that's gonna work in this NFL. So I probably have to say the Patriots or the Bears. And the Bears have obviously they had a great draft class last year and because they just got everything from Carolina, so that's gonna be Those are two intriguing teams where I could see, if they get the right head coach, then we'll see what kind of damage they can do next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, it really comes down to do you have some decent stuff to work with immediately or do you have some decent, decent things coming your way, like the you know, a top five draft pick. So uh, I was thinking, you know, because I was surprised that Mayo got fired. So I was, and a lot of people were, I think, so it probably came down to they're not just doing it because they think he's lousy. They're doing it because they know who they have. And I'd heard people saying that it was it was Mike Rabel. But I guess it's actually awesome. Montgomery, Now that's right. You make the move to be a the gummery. Yeah, that's that's what you.
Speaker 3: Were, too big beffy football guys.
Speaker 2: So I can't tell if vrabel's like a really really good coach or he's like, put it this way, Dan Campbell and Verbel. Campbell's a little more goofball, right Vrabel. But but they're but they're the they're the they're the football guys.
Speaker 4: Football guys, right, They're they're culture setters. They're not like the greatest, they're not like the masterminds on offense or defense, but in terms of taking a group of men and getting them to fight for one thing, those are they were exactly one and the same.
Speaker 2: So I like with with Campbell, you know, because he had he had what a decent season, gave him some life and that got attention, and then I think they were down and and people were kind of making fun of his gimmicky stuff. And then in the last couple of years they've been phenomenal. I think at the time Campbell was still kind of just getting attention for being, you know, the guy that he is. The Brandy. Yeah, Vrabel was doing what beating Lamar Jackson in the playoffs. So therefore, you know, I think people thought Dan Campbell is UH. You know, Mike Rabel is essentially who Dan Campbell wishes he could be that kind of football guy. But man, his teams play tough and they're good. Well, now it's completely reversed to where I still feel like, of those two, one of them is not a great coach. UH, And I would say right now, clearly the momentum is with is with UH, is with Dan Campbell, with Rabel, like I get why he's a you know, because that kind of stuff matters. Man, Like, when you're an NFL head coach, there's a lot that you have to you know, have on your resume to qualify and whatnot. But what you are is, you know, you're kind of a peer a GM, kind of not a GM because GM is a different job and it is important. And if you're not the GM, which most NFL coaches aren't, like you know, that is a different role. So maybe I shouldn't used as an example, but like you are, you're the coach, but you're kind of the captain more than the coach, Like I don't know how to say it, like you're not disciplining guys in the NFL as a head coach, and if you try to run your program like some hard ass like Bill Belichick did for a long time, like that's just not going to work anymore. These guys know, hey, you are, They're they're not going to get rid of me. You know what they're paying me. They'll get rid of you and get another version of you, because there's a billion of you out there, Like you have to not kiss ass, but you've got to be relatable. They've got to respect you, and of course you have to know what you're doing. But I think that's why, in really all aspects of professional sports, there's still are some exceptions out there of guys who are who have like Tomlin. Tomlin can be Tomlin until the day Tomlin doesn't want to coach anymore. Because he's proven that he's respected, Guys want to play for him. Everybody would want to play for him. But I think if like a guy came in now with no credentials, with no resume, the same as Tomlin and tried to lead an NFL franchise like that, I don't think it would go well, now maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you know, they would buy in because they respect him, because he's got the right intangibles that kind of stuff. So you know, Rabel, he's the guy that he can look at his players in the locker room and they'll know he's been where they've been. And it's not necessarily about like if you've never played, they think you don't know anything. I'm sure there is some of that to an extent, but it's just kind of about you know, like that you've been, you've been in the trenches, right, You've you know, you're somebody that can't speak to the experience in the career that or you know, maybe not the same career, but the same industry essentially, and you know that, Like that's why guy like Steve Kerr. I'm not sure Steve Kirk can coach basketball or not. That sounds like an insane thing to say, and there's there's clearly some hyperbole there. But Steve Kerr went from being an annoying, smug announcer to just going and sitting on the bench and letting Steph Curry and Klay Thompson shoot threes, two of the best shooters that he ever playing on same team at the same time, and then Draymond Green's out there punching people and taking cheap shots like you know, like that that's and Andrea Agudalad was still in a really good place in his career whenever Kurt took over. So you know, you kind of just got to be able to manage personalities, egos, you gotta coat, you gotta no little ball, clearly, but she kind of just got to get out of the way. Yeah, if in fact, you're in a really good situation. So you know, when I see some of these candidates out here, so here is the predictions that are out there. So Rabel is the guy that people expect to be hired by the Patriots, and I think again that would make sense as to why they made the move when they did. And the Jets, Rex Ryan, what do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Like I've been hearing about that for a while now. I can totally see that.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, Like it's one of those things where you're like really again, but then you quickly think, why not? It's the Jets they were better with than they've ever been, right, Like maybe not that. Let me back up, Jets fans, I know they were not Their best era was not the Rex Ryan era, but post Rex Ryan they've been terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were actually making the playoffs with the extra.
Speaker 2: So the Saints are gonna hire Joe Brady. I don't think that'll go well, but we shall see. He's certainly been in line for a job for a while now. And the Jaguars are set to hire Aaron Glenn according or that's the prediction that's out there.
Speaker 3: N's DC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he'll be next in line, and then the Bears Cliff Kingsbury. Gotta be honest, I think it would work.
Speaker 3: Probably he's done a master forul job to watch.
Speaker 2: I think it would work. I think it could work. All right, quick break, we'll be back that. I was gonna say that, and that's what they need, right If they still believe in Caleb Williams, then they have to have a guy that like. That's gotta be one of the biggest intangibles for them in this hire. Okay, somebody who we know would get the most out of this guy's talent. Two West Coast guys clearly of great offensive mine. So all right, we gotta run quick break. We'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock out right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We are wrapping up the four o'clock hour here on a Monday afternoon. Stay a nice and cozy as it is still freezing outside and there's a lot of snow. We'll get back into that coming up here in the five o'clock hour. However, I do want to let you know if you are somebody that would really like tickets too, and I need to get this out as quick as possible, if you want tickets to the Louisville football game or the Louisville basketball game Tomorrowgaan's Clemson, which by the way, is a really really important game for Louisville, and I do think attendance could be a real concern given the fact that the weather we've had recently, and it's only going to be colder in these next two days. So if you will go to Twitter right now, go to my Twitter account at the card Connect, or if you follow Rick Keeber, of course a big supporter of U of L, and he's been supporting this program for a long long time and certainly been a big supporter of Pat Kelsey. He has got five hundred tickets that he's giving away. I don't know how many are still available, but I just checked within the last sixty seconds. And if you follow Rick, go to his Twitter account. I retweeted it, so that's where you can find it easily if you follow me at the card connect is my Twitter user name, but there's a link there. You click it, you can get two free tickets, two free complimentary tickets if you know, while they last. There's five hundred that he bought in is giving away, so they clearly want to have a good crowd there. It's super important. And I don't think you'd be seeing this, or maybe you would, I don't know. I was gonnay. I don't think you'd be seeing this kind of a of a of an attempt to make sure people are there unless you were worried about, you know, maybe the weather. And I think if people have free tickets, does that make the weather better. No, but it'll probably incentivize Okay, I can get in for free. I'd like to be there. Let me, let me let me. It's probably for the folks who really weren't considering going because they didn't have tickets and the weather is the thing. Well, if they know they knock out the issue with having tickets and they get them for free, maybe they'll the work on finding away there. So I mean free tickets, folks. And it's an ACC game against the top team in your league. Clemson's notat e Laitue. Clemson usually is the team that comes to town from the ACC that you feel like there's a big game, we better be there. But hey, they are one of the and I hate saying this, but it's the truth. They're one of the last remaining opportunities for Louisville to get a Quad one victory here. In fact, I'm not even sure if they are there. I gotta go look at the net because the kin Poms has Clemson at thirty two, and I don't I think that puts them just on the outside. So again, that speaks more to anything just how rare it's gonna be for Louisville to have chances to really significantly improve their resume. But look, they're both North Carolina and Clemson right now are flirting with the top thirty and Austin. Do you know, is it quad one? Is it one through thirty five? Let me look it up here. I'm putting you on the spot off. How sure that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So quad one, qua quad one, Quad two, and quad three Quad one is a home game for a team that's one through thirty, a neutral site game for a team that's one through fifty, or if you beat anybody. And I think this is a little bit flawed, but you know, what are you gonna do? This is how it is. If you beat somebody on the road, if they're in the top seventy five of the net rankings, then then you get a quad one win. And I think the reason I hate that is because you could be in the top fifty of the kin Pom and have a losing record in the net as well, and have a losing record because you play in a league where the metrics already loved that league and it's competitive, you're not bagally held accountable for losing.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: You see this team from the Big twelve and the Big Ten, they got eight Quad one wins. Well, six of those came against teams in the bottom half of their league. They just happened to be, you know, in the bottom seventy five in road games. So currently right now, North Carolina is sitting at let's see here, North Carolina is at forty three, not good. They fell pretty hard when Louisville beat them. And then Clemson right now is at thirty seven. They're both a little bit higher in the kin Pom. But the net is the one that matters. So if Clemson in North Carolina finish in the top thirty because you beat them at home, that's what you need for it to be a quad one victory. So again, right now Louisville has let's see here, I'm gonna look look at this about it. So when it comes to the opportunities you're gonna have in the ACC right now, the top ranked team in the net, and you see no surprises, Duke at twelve and two, you already lost to them, so no chance to play them again. And then you've got a road game this week, and which, by the way, I'm going to be at in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh right now is we're fifteen in the country in the net rankings, So they fall sixty five spots or sixty spots, I'm sorry, and still be a quad one win. So there's no doubting what that's gonna be. When it's all said and done. You go in and you compete, and you play well, you'll still probably jump up in the rankings. However, if you go there and win Man, that's a that's the big this Saturday, and again we probably need to we'll get there later in the week, but the Clemson games is first, and there's some value there as well. But that Pittsburgh team, and I'm worried. I think they're really good. I think Wolfe could play really well and lose because I just happen to think Jeff Cable's got a really good team this year. But anyways, Duke and Pittsburgh are the only two teams in the top thirty right now. Clemson's at thirty seven, Louisville is at thirty nine, SMU is at forty one. North Caroline is at forty three, and then after that, when you go from Cara line on, there is a big, big drought. The next best team in the ACC after those teams is at seventy six, and that's Florida State, So I guess to be fair Florida State, if they jump up a couple of spots, then that'll be a quad. And again, that's good for Louisville, right but man, doesn't that speak to how silly the road winds are being valued? Because winning on the road should have more value. It means it's a difficult if it's a more difficult task against a certain caliber of team. Florida State right now, I mean, does anybody think they're good this year? They're not like terrible. They're better than I guess they were the last couple of years. But I mean Louisville, if they jump up one Florida State jumps up one spot, louis will get aquad one victory. And again I'll take it. I'll take all of them, all the quad ones you can get. But I just think that's an example of like that value as far as just your system alone, the metrics alone. Now, clearly people who use their brain, and it's not the only thing. They don't use this specifically to slop the just to slot the spots in the tournament and give the seeds. But you're telling me that when it comes to just the four different levels of value that you have, Louisville could beat Pittsburgh on Saturday, or beat you know, Kentucky at RUP and then beat Florida State at Florida State and technically those have the same value. Like that's just that makes no sense at all. So anyways that they've they've stuck with the net formula. So as much as it is flawed at times, it is what it is. You gotta you gotta do whatever you can to to find yourself in the good graces of these metrics. So anyways, tomorrow, hopefully there's a good crowd there. I'm I don't care about the number. I mean, I hope it's not empty, and I don't think it will be. But the fans that have been going to games, especially those that were with the Carolina game, I mean, when this team's playing that hard, they're playing with that kind of energy and there's big plays where the momentum swings, it's it made me feel alive again. So I'm hoping to be there tomorrow, and uh hope louisvill could keep this this this run going because I think, you know, when it comes to you know, the record itself, it's still not great because you know, they they took losses earlier this year, five of them in fact, to good teams. But they're now up to ten and five and I think they're playing their best basketball. I really do so. Hopefully there's a good crowd and they can get another victory tomorrow. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side for another hour with you. We got the five o'clock hour coming your way. It's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety