Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty and now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's not Bill Handle. Oh you flatter me. KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning to you, Happy Monday. It is Memorial Day where we memorialize and think about those that have died for our freedom. You know, I talked about this on the Fork Report on Saturday, and I know that it sounds so I don't know pandering, I don't even know the right word. But the reality is the reason why we celebrate, we get to have, you know, good times with our family, which we should do, is because somebody has given their life. And in addition to that, the families of those people that are still alive or outlived their family member that gave their lives are sacrificing on the daily and there's power in that. So when people say, you know, it's is it somber? I don't think it needs to be somber, because the whole point when somebody gives their life for us, it's I want you to live. I don't want you to mourn me for the whole time. So it's this weird balance of the joy of being alive and enjoying our freed freedoms here in the United States and the payment that it took. So my hope in my prayer today is that we are thoughtful about those that gave that sacrifice, but we're also enjoying ourselves in honor of that sacrifice. It's not modeling or it's about, hey, we this has been paid for that we need to enjoy it and to connect with each other. So whatever you might be doing today, I sure appreciate you taking the time to pop in here. I was listening to Amy King and the wake Up Call today. Good morning Amy. Hello, So that was interesting. You're talking about Gwen and I mean, that guy's just a genius anyways, he's just Kurtis Stone, Yeah, he is. Chef Stone is an incredibly talented guy. I'm trying to figure out and I only heard bits and pieces and it's not the first time I've heard it, right, Hello, it's not the first time I heard that, right, Okay, Hey listen, nobody nobody in radio right now is live except us, So it's all right, exactly.
Speaker 2: This was an out and about segment. In fact, if you want to watch the whole thing. You can see it. It's on my Instagram at Amy K King.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, I encourage people to do that. So I'm trying to process. I only heard the little bits of it this time. Process Why you would let it rest? You were saying that he would put the steak in a lower temperature. I'm going to guess it was indirect heating. Indirect heating means it was over an open flame.
Speaker 3: Over an open flame, that's the only way he cooks it.
Speaker 1: Oh, that makes more sense.
Speaker 2: So he says, get the meat, which he had. It was a New York strip steak.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Up to room temperature? No, yeah, no, he said, I know. They all said season it.
Speaker 1: They all say that. Let me tell you something about this, and there was a science done this. It drives me nuts. All chefs say this, get up to room temperature. To get a steak up to room temperature is to leave a steak out, for a raw steak out for longer than two hours, which makes it bad.
Speaker 3: But you encourage can have this conversation.
Speaker 1: They did this whole study on it, and I don't know. It's one of those things that chefs still say now you can if you take a steak and I you know, don't waste steak. But if you take a steak out of your refrigerator, out of refrigeration, and you put it at room temperature, which is about seventy one degrees, and you wait for that steak at let's say thirty five degrees, come to seventy one degrees, I guarantee in two hours it may be dropped by ten degrees. Maybe. I don't know why chefs say this. They all say it, all of them say it. But you can't do it. You cannot do that. Take a steak and try it. Well.
Speaker 2: I had one of my friend's brother's sister whatever is a butcher, and.
Speaker 3: She did the same thing.
Speaker 1: What take it out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was all about getting it up to Yeah.
Speaker 1: They all do it, they take it out.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's got to be a reason everybody does it, Neil.
Speaker 1: No, I'm telling you something. It. The theory behind it is this that heat, when you're using heat, like direct heat, the heat has to push through whatever you're cooking to get to the center. That's why a medium rare steak is not medium rare the whole way through. That's why they say it's a warm, pink center because the whole steak is going to be gradations of dunness because that heat has to travel into the center. The problem is that the battle between cold and hot. You know, heat is something. Cold is not cold is the absence of heat. Heat is actually something. So the heat has to push into that cold steak and battle with it for temperature. The thought behind it is if you make it seventy one degrees, then the battle is less, so it's going to be more evenly cooked. I'm saying scientifically. The folks. Kenji Lopez Alt, who is a food scientist, tested this theory a bunch of times and never could get it to room temperature without it going bad first.
Speaker 3: And is he an award winning chef.
Speaker 1: Yes, actually he is a massive award he is the Here's the thing. Chefs are taught by apprentice style. Apprentice style is due as I do, and don't question. That's why the reverse seer came much later, and chefs still to this day will say things like, it's sears in the juices. You cannot sear in juices. It is impossible. You can't do it. It's scientifically impossible. And yet I hear. I hear pitmasters, and I hear chefs do it all the time, because chefs are not scientists, so the science says it can't be done. I have to lean on that. So I hear stuff like that all the time. But if you take a twelve ounce steak that's an inch thick, and you put it out from a thirty five degree refrigerator on your counter for two hours, it will not hit seventy one degrees and it will be bad because having raw meat out at seventy one degrees room temperature for two hours makes the bacteria double every twenty minutes. That's science, that's skians, that's skiants man, all right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Curtis Stone says, bring it up to near temperature and then cook it on the grill, right, cook it on the grill. No oven, no pan searing, none of that on the grill. But in between the grilling, you rest it for a few minutes, and then you put it back on and then you rest it for a few minutes. And you'll have to go back and listen to the interview to find out why he says that. But boy, that steak that he cooked for me was the best steak I've ever had.
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: I have no doubt he is known for his cooking. I'm just saying that you're not getting that steak up to seventy one degrees.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was a sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Who knows sixty eight degrees. Maybe it was a general rule. Maybe he's saying take it out early.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing they let I hear all the one a little bit is they say let it rest. You go for what for five minutes.
Speaker 3: After it's done.
Speaker 2: I think that heat was talking about how you don't need to rest the steaks the way that you cook them, the way that he cooks them.
Speaker 1: No, because he gets it up to high heat. It sounds like he's getting it up to high heat, first taking it to let it cool down, and then searing it off because he's only putting on for a couple of minutes at the end, right.
Speaker 2: Fat side down. Fact you have to go about. You have to go back and listen to it. It's really interesting. You'll have to go back and listen.
Speaker 1: He's putting it sideways a New York steak.
Speaker 3: He cooked it on all four sides. I watched him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know what I sleep fat side down. When we come back, we're gonna have some news for your promise. Hey, Cono, feel a little triggered there, Neil, Yeah, it drives me nuts. Like the best chefs in the world say some stupid things, and I'm like, why why do we still say it sears in the juices and let it come to room temp or let it rest for five minutes. You know what the science is. Let it rest until it's one hundred and twenty degrees then cut it. But he's never getting it above. Oh boy, I'm going back to my grill and how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. This is fun. It's a whole different start.
Speaker 1: Ruined my whole Memorial Day. Let it get to room tempt yourself to room temp. All right, let's start some handle on the news lead story, all right. US Attorney Bill helped me with this. Samy announced this week a pilot program that he dubbed you gotta love this Operation Guardian Angel. And this is intended to neutralize a sanctuary state laws. So the office identifies individuals with you know, criminal records and all that who've been deported and charges them with illegally re entering the United States and doing it as a federal crime. I don't think I have a problem with that, right what would be the I don't understand sanctuary cities in that set. I mean, take care of people. I don't think you need to be nasty to people, but I don't understand what that is.
Speaker 2: Trump threatens tariffs, then pulls them right back off the table for now. As you may recall, President Trump on Friday said, hey, you know what, let's put fifty percent tariffs on the European Union because a deal isn't coming together like I want. So then the stock markets and everybody freaked out. And then on Sunday he said, let's extend that. So instead of starting June first, these tariffs will apparently be delayed until July ninth. The President says it came after he talked to the president of the European Communion Communion European Commission. He says they requested an extension. I agreed to it, and the European Union president vander Lyon said she had a good call with Trump. She said Europe is ready to advance talks swiftly and decisively.
Speaker 1: Didn't you say, like you know, every time there's no deal is he just playing around. Is he just pushing his cards forward and then pulling them back, pushing them forward and pulling them back.
Speaker 3: It's to force people's hands, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree that. I agree that.
Speaker 2: The thread of tariffs, I think is getting people to the table and then he backs off while they negotiate, and then if things aren't moving forward, then he goes, you know what, nothing's happening. We're going to threaten those tariffs again. And that's what it sounds like to me.
Speaker 1: I agree. And there was also a gosh, there was a story that we talked about, I think last Friday with Bill where it was Craft that is putting three billion dollars back into their factories here in the US to bring more of that, and I think those little things. I was talking with Anne off the air that if we get twenty five percent more, I mean, I don't there's no way we're going to get everything that Trump wants, But if we just get twenty five or something more, I'd be good. I would be totally. I think that was a win, you know, just a little bit more back in the US. I'm not saying we're gonna fire up, you know, Detroit again, but just a little bit more. I think what could be a win. Fifth anniversary or of George Floyd's murder was not celebrated, but many took to memorializing the fifth anniversary. Even here in Los Angeles, people met around. I think it was targets. Did you hear that or see any of that? Yesterday? Amy? Not yesterday but Saturday? Or was it would have been yesterday? Sorry, where they had gathered at many of the targets and stuff like that, apparently because of DEI stuff going on there. But what does that have to do with George Floyd. Well, it's all tied together, is how. Here's activism. I don't trust anything that by its very definition, it's like the pharmaceuticals. Yeah, they got a pill for everything and a cure for nothing. So it's like that's how I feel about activism. It's like, if it cured, these people would be out of a job. So you have police reform and civil rights activists that are joining thousands of people on Sunday marking the fifth anniversary of George Floyd's murder and being concerned about Trump Trump Administration's actions that they say have set all this back, all their efforts back decades, and of course you got the Reverend now Sharpton, who still looks odd after the weight loss surgery and the hair. It's like trim the back of the hair. He said at a Houston Gravesite service that Floyd represented all those who are defenseless against the people who thought they could put their knee on our neck. He continued to liken it to Emmett Till, fourteen year old black boy who was abducted and lynched in Mississippi in nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 3: I think that's a false equivalent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a look at you pulling the the informal logical fallacies out amy, stop it. Do you know the Latin? No? Okay, but yeah, I thought that was It's like one of those jumps to Hitler in an argument.
Speaker 2: A mob of vandals is trashed downtown LA. Several businesses, metro trains, and even a police vehicle vandalized and what turned out to be a rather chaotic scene in downtown LA over the weekend. It happened just after midnight Saturday, so early early Sunday morning, LAPD got a call about a large group disturbance. It was about three hundred people who were up partying on a rooftop at what appeared to be an abandoned building.
Speaker 3: What can go wrong?
Speaker 2: Right, So then they hit to this, they hit the streets. Officers tried to break up the crowd using rubber bulleps. They issued several warnings, they were ignored. There were illegal fireworks, drug use, public drinking, and a whole lot of graffiti and metros is about fifty people even blocked two A line trains and then got into one of the trains and started spray painting it up and it interrupted Metro service for a time. Nobody was hurt and no arrests were made.
Speaker 1: Cono, fireworks, graffiti, the what are the odds there are people I'm just saying, man, very likely, yeah, Amy, What was the Why were they gathered at all? Was there any reason for them being in a three hundred person group.
Speaker 2: It was an unpermitted rooftop event at what appeared to be an an abandoned building.
Speaker 1: Now that makes a little bit of sense. They were partying. It was just a party, and they ended up lea because I was like, what was going on? This doesn't tie to any particular protest? Drug use, public drinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't a protest.
Speaker 2: It was some sort of a party and then they said, hey, let's hit the streets.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we don't know, it's hard to We don't have the exact details, like did they disperse because the police showed up at the party so everybody flooded out of the building and then hit the streets, or why they moved from the rooftop down onto the streets.
Speaker 1: Can we see a show of hands of anybody who in the room that's been shot at by rubber bullets?
Speaker 3: I have not you have me and codo.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I still have them. I still have some of them.
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 1: I was in the riot, the nineteen ninety nine riots downtown why because I was broadcasting and I got locked out of the Staples Center and my partner, Tim Kelly was in there and I was on my cell phone. Our security was actually shot and taken to the hospital. They were they took one of them, took it in the ear and the leg and one of them and so they so I was without security roaming the streets and I still have them to this day. I still have those rubber bullets to this day. And then they had these larger ones that they'd shoot at the ground at a forty five degree angle and they'd ricochet up into the group. And strangely enough, La Times went to interview me. I was the only host live on the air at that time. I was riding on the back of a ups truck to get from point to point they because they were trying to get around over there in Olympic and something. And I'm on the cell phone and they station's calling me to say get out of there, and I'm not answering. I'm like, I'm going to stay here as long as I can. But it was, it was crazy fascinating. LA Times interviewed me and I and I told them what I saw, which was the protesters throwing bottles of urine and rocks at the cops before the cops did anything. And they didn't print that. They only took this, you know, all this stuff. I remember distinctly going that is crap. I'm like, no, I was right there at the skirmish line there when they read the right literally read the Riot Act over a loud speaker to say my press badges all that means nothing. When they do that, I was just like anybody else at that time. But I thought they held themselves quite well. The lapd You know, what are you gonna do? Anyways? That's that one of about four riots I've been in. Any Ways, that should be a nice more stories. Oh yeah, little punk rocker, we got those riots all the time. Okay, it is a different time. I'm a different guy. I'm way heavier, run slower, so I do better things. It is Memorial Day. I hope you are thinking about those that have given the ultimate sacrifice for us to be able to enjoy ourselves. Have some barbecue sales. Anybody buying anything today? Anyone? Do you do that where you keep stuff in your Amazon cart or whatever for later?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 2: And you know what, Bill Handle, who's off Today's got to be very sad because Costco is closed today.
Speaker 3: Oh is it really good for them?
Speaker 1: I'm the only one that keeps it in the cart. Huh for later?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't generally if I buy something, I want it now.
Speaker 1: You don't have like a holding tank of things. Yeah. My cart that I haven't purchased yet is up to one point two million dollars in my cart. Nice, so maybe I should buy some of that maybe some get off of mine but actually buy stuff. All right, Neil Sevadra here with the morning crew handles taking the day off. It's kind of nice, right, just us, you do what we want.
Speaker 3: Did Ann find out if anybody else is in the building?
Speaker 1: And would you like to tell everybody what you found out? Uh? Yeah, So we sent Ann. We got eight stations here at I Heart Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: We sent him on a mission.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so well, let me say, I've met some really nice board ops upstairs people haven't met, but no, nobody's live. Yeah, I think everybody's on tape. I think Moe is live tonight. Moe Kelly has a work ethic like nobody's business.
Speaker 3: Yes he does.
Speaker 1: And you know what he'll tell you if you ask him, He'll say, you know, I do not take this this job for granted. And if my audience wants to hang out, I'm going to hang out with them. He tries to never take time off. But uh, hope Gary's by the pool. I wish was the only one laughing at that. Ah. Okay, let's get back to the news, shall we. Top Republicans. These are prominent US senators Warren Trump to get serious about addressing budget deficit or they're going to block the Big Beautiful Bill. So you have these fiscal hawks, and I know Handel talks about this all the time, saying that they don't exist anymore. Well, apparently they do, at least just a few of them, and they're pushing back. So not everybody's in lockstep with the Orange Man. And right now they're pushing back and they're saying that, you know, they're going to block the passage of this tax cutting legislation known as the Big Beautiful Bill if they don't get some of these concessions.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't have much of a margin. He's got a couple more than he had last last time. But it is it fifty three cent senators are Republican and it's already passed the House, so now it's in the Senate's hands. Any thoughts whether it'll get through. I think it'll get through.
Speaker 1: He's pretty persuasive, but we Chelsea, well, I think.
Speaker 2: Part of it is he's got so much power that he's like, we'll just primary you if you don't vote in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what Handles as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of crazy. Okay, So there's fifty three Republicans and forty five Democrats and two independents. One of those is Bernie Sanders, who caucuses with the Democrats anyway. But so they don't have much of a margin, so they can't lose more than three.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yep, trump'sys Putin has gone crazy. Russia launched its biggest drone attack yet on Ukraine in the more than three year war. President Trump said Vladimir Putin is going crazy by stepping up the bombing of Ukraine just as the US is trying to get a peace deal. The bombardment last night included three hundred and fifty five drones. The night before, Russia fired almost three hundred drones and sixty nine missiles. So from Friday till Sunday, Russia has launched about nine hundred drones at Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, that is not getting better. And I feel like everybody's kind of waiting for it to kind of resolve itself, and it's not. So it gets uglier before it gets better. A Texas House on Sunday pass Senate Bill ten. It's a measure requiring the display of the Ten Commandments in every public school classroom in the State. So this law is going to have court challenges. It's just going to put potential violation of the Establishment clause there in the First Amendment US Constitution. Kind of big deal around here. So in this case, and I don't understand I, as many of you know, I'm a theologian, a Christian apologist, which means a defense for an idea and Christian philosophy and all these things. I've been part of my life since I was about eighteen seventeen eighteen. So I look at this and I try and tell people, first of all, the ten Commandments are for the most part, are split in half. Five are about our relationship with God and the other five are about our relationship with each other, how we should treat each other, and how we should treat God. And you may go, hey, but that's what I believe. It'll be great to have it up there. The problem is, you may be in the majority now, but you might not be one day in the United States. And are you going to want Sharia law? Are you going to want Satanic law? Are you going to want you can't say Jewish because Judeo Christian is synonymous. Are you going to want a different belief system, scientology, whatever. It might be something that you might not agree with up there, and to me, it's highly problematic on its face.
Speaker 2: I would also say that if the Satanists are the majority, then we have a whole other problem.
Speaker 3: In the US well.
Speaker 1: Satanists. Though the Church of Satan is not what people think it is. Church of Satan is a philosophical belief system. It's atheism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's what I think about this. If you look at the Ten Commandments, like you said, there's the five and the five. If you look at them, they're kind of like a nice set of guidelines.
Speaker 3: But I totally agree with you, Like.
Speaker 2: If they shouldn't be in the school, I mean, it does violate all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Constitutional laws were built upon that upon the ones that are judicial in nature. Don't murder, don't steal those types of things.
Speaker 3: And don't cove it, don't sit there.
Speaker 2: Like if you look at the practicality of them, don't covet thy neighbor's property and thy wife.
Speaker 3: And all that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's basically saying, if you just spend all of your time wanting what somebody else has, you're going to be miserable. Yeah, I mean it's they're good common sense laws.
Speaker 1: Absolutely rules. The vast majority of those rules obviously have have a place in our system. They do. But when you get the religious part of it, yeah, I think it becomes highly problematic and you end up opening the door. It's like, oh, I want, you know, prayer in schools. Okay, I want prayer before you know, before graduation ceremonies them. Okay, fine, Well what about when the Church of Satan says we want our shot. Oh well, I was, I just met Christian prayer. We'll deal Jewish too, because they got the first half of them. But work good with that. But you know, you can't you can't do that just because you're the majority. You still have to have some leeway there.
Speaker 3: So, got time for one more.
Speaker 1: Let's do it?
Speaker 2: Uh? Could a deal be close? President Trump says there has been progress made with Iran on its nuclear program, and he's hinting now that announcement could come in the next couple of days. He's like saying, I'm not saying for sure that it's happening, but there could be a deal. He said they've had some very good talks with Iran, emphasized real progress has been made serious progress, he says. Oman's mediator to the talks between the US and Iran said on Friday that the two nations had made some but not conclusive progress. So that was on Friday. Trump is saying more progress has been made over the weekend. We shall see fingers crossed. Eh yep, Yeah. Can I tell you something? I don't want to talk to you, Okay, I was going to tell you something really cool. I was going to give you a gift.
Speaker 1: But that's all right. Think those kids when you were younger. Okay, Well, it's gonna be really cool. It's gonna be really big and huge. I was gonna give it to you, but now I want because you you won't listen to me, So it was gonna be great. You be really great. Fingers crossed for our country. This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.