Speaker 1: It's the JV and Sandy Show. You can listen online at one O three to one Austin dot com.
Speaker 2: This won't be.
Speaker 1: The first time I've seen some of JB's cycling injury. So I remember years ago JB walking into the studio pair of shorts. He goes, hey, check this out, pulled his shorts up. Had had a bruise the size of a watermelon on his just like hip down to his thigh. It was enormous bicycle accident. You got another one. Tell us where you went, what you did, what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I met up with a buddy of mine. He lives in outside of Denver, and so I flew into Denver, jumped into his sprinter van with him. We went about four hours to a place called Fruta, Colorado, kind of near Grand Junction, and it was a it's a gravel ride. So gravel riding is like one of the newest I shouldn't say newest, but the most recent popular trends in cycling. And it gets you off like the busy streets and out on you know, farm gravel roads up into the mountains. It's really fun and so it kind of looks like a typical road bike, but the tires are a lot wider, and you know, they're like skinny motorcycle tires. The idea is that, you know, a little more grippy in the loose dirt and until it's not. And so he and I did this seventy five mile ride and gravel in the mountains, you know, in one day. Yeah, and you're you're you're starting at an altitude of like it's some like forty six hundred feet or something like that. Wow, So you're out, You're up there, You're you're at altitude and uh. And then there was about four thousand feet of climbing in the seventy five miles and it was fun and until it wasn't, and then it was fun again, and then it wasn't, and now it's not. I was he spends more time on a gravel bike, and I was having a hard time keeping up on the downhills and I'm bombing down this one downhill and that it's kind of like a gully at the bottom, and that it was kind of a little too late to slow down to where I would have felt more comfortable. But it was all sandy bottom, and I'm like, okay, sand is very hard to ride a bike through. But it's also it's sand, right, so soft, and so I come flying into it and I'm you know, and the bike's getting kind of loose and you're thirteen again, right, yeah, And then it hits this gully and I'm starting to come back up, still have a ton of speed, and the tire front tire just gets kind of shoved to the side and then it ended up popping over to the other lane and it washes out really quick, and what bam, I go down. I go down really hard on my right side. And it's funny. This is about fifty miles into the race, so we've already been out out there for quite a bit. It's getting hot. And the first two things I noticed as I'm falling, I get a leg cramp in my calf on the right side, and so I'm laying there and that's all I can feel is the cramp, right And then I did scrape my elbow. You can probably see that there's a scrape on my elbow that's the big deal, and a tiny scrape on my knee. And I didn't even think about I was like, oh, it kind of hit my hip and didn't even think much of it, No big deal. You know how it is when you have stuff like that, You adrenaline kicks in. You're a little embarrassed. You get up, you dust off, and I'm just because I crashed in sand, So I'm just you look like a powdered nonut. You're all sweaty, and you're going, yeah, I looked terrible, and it's dusty and dirty. And then we get we're like a mile from the next rest stop. I take some water and I clean off my elbow and I'm like, ah, I'm good. I feel good. Didn't think anything of it. And then we're riding about another thirty minutes and I reached down to my hip and it feels like it's the size of a baseball ooh, this lump and I'm like, oh my god. And I turned to my buddy and I go, do you see that. He's like, yeah, I see that. It's just like this huge not sticking out of my hip. Now, everything was working fine. I'm riding the bike, the bones are working, i'm turning, I feel okay. It just keeps swelling and swelling and swelling. And then when we got back to the van at the end of it. It was like this extra extra giant love handle is probably the best way to describe it. It was all swollen, wasn't bruised at this time. And then I think I posted a video of that, and you saw that, right, Tricia. I did.
Speaker 3: I saw it, and it was just like you could just grab it with your hand.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: It was like a giant love handle, only on one side of your body.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then h and then we're you know, we're just hanging out having some beers after the ride, and I'm like, oh, this is fine. You know, I've banged up before. It all. I cared about everything's working, you know what I mean, and fracture or anything whatever. And it starts bruising and swelling and bruising and swelling. I'm like, oh crap. So I get some ice and I'm icing it and we're just hanging out and having some beers and it just keeps. The bruise just keeps spreading and sweating. And then I'm like, well, you know, I'll sleep on it and sleep on my side the other side, and you know, maybe this thing will go down. So that was on Saturday. It is still not gone down. Holy crap. Let's see it. The bruising. The bruising has gone from a softball sized area on my hip to all the way around to my belly button and then halfway around my back. Oh you're ready to see? All right, here we go. Can you see that might hit ready? Yeah? Oh my god, JB dude.
Speaker 1: I mean it's from his back where his spine is too, is just below his short line all the way to his belly button is just one giant purple mass of You need to get that drained or something.
Speaker 2: I went to the doctor and they gave me a pat on the butt, said you'll be fine. Okay, that's what I thought. It's so it's so hard like a baseball. I thought they were gonna like poke it and it was just gonna be like you ever seen those videos when they're like a cow has an infection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like doctor pimple popper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought the doctor is gonna do. It's like, oh, we got to get some of this inflammation and infection out of there. Like now they're like, you're fine. Does it hurt? It's sore, it's tender, like you know, bruises.
Speaker 1: Where they can I mean, it's kind of near your kidneys. Were they worried about that?
Speaker 2: Uh, it's the impact spot is directly on the side o the bruising that has gone forward to my belly and then all the way to the middle of my back. It is just blood drainage. Oh that's a nice thought, isn't it. Yeah, that's just internal bleeding draining again.
Speaker 3: Internally, it just sounds like it's so much danger there. But they were like, you're totally fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, hopefully I still am. They I was like, I thought they would want to do something, but man, did you did you go to the emergency room or do you not? My regular my regular doctor.
Speaker 3: But they're like the same reaction we had when he lifted.
Speaker 2: Up your No, I guess not. I guess they see crazy stuff all the time.
Speaker 4: But wow, I can't believe they didn't refer you to someone else. You would think, huh, so do they give you like how long, like if this gets worse, come back or no?
Speaker 2: She was She was like, if this gets if this gets worse and you're in a lot of pain, go to the er. That's the next step. Like there's nothing they can do, which I kind of feel that way about most yeah, family doctor stuff, like what do you actually can't really do? Yeah? Right, not a lot, you know, So are you worried at all? Are you just like okay? Well before, like so, I had a few days before going to the doctor and I was like, what if there's some infection in there? Yeah, possible, but it was more of an impact than a scrape. And then I thought, well, what if the blood clots or something that could cause a problem. I actually asked them about that and they're like, I don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Wow, man, what if it never goes away?
Speaker 2: It always looks like for you, what what's funny is walking around and after the event there for a couple of days it literally looks like I'm concealed carry Oh yeah. I definitely saw some very country kind of guys like going, uh huh, I got you. It looks like I've got a gun on my hip. It's so swollen. Is this your best injury yet? I mean, like you're most like, this one's way worse than the one in the past on your side of your hip, which was big, But this one is like growing around your stomach and back. I know it's the it's the lump that's more concerning. Bruising is just bruising.
Speaker 1: And let me guess you got no sympathy at home, no zero, you got you gotta whatever.
Speaker 2: You still got to do all the chores. It's very willy wonka. It's very violent. You're turning violet violet. I know. I asked my wife. I said, if you've ever had a fantasy about being with a guy with a purple unit, I said, now it's your time, I said, because it's creeping that direction. Oh that'll be weird, right, Is that a chick thing, Tricia? I don't think so. I mean, it's not my I mean when when when women buy the fake ones they like the colors.
Speaker 3: Oh, the colors.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you know. The colors don't matter.
Speaker 3: Friends, you don't care about the color, Well.
Speaker 1: Take care of do I guess. I take your pat on the bottom from the doctor and take care of it. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: Not much you can do, just heal. I'm in And you know, in my my thought of it immediately and still now is like, oh, I'm pretty lucky. That could have been a lot worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and out in the middle of nowhere, that could have been bad, Be careful,