Speaker 1: Hey, what's good is your boy?
Speaker 2: Jid?
Speaker 3: What what's good? Everybody?
Speaker 1: This is what's good? This glow really and you're checking out the Cruise Show podcast. Make sure to subscribe rate and sure, let's go go.
Speaker 3: Who you know got that much rain?
Speaker 1: That's the question.
Speaker 3: We just heard.
Speaker 4: Catalog, catalog, the Russell's on the Cruise Show.
Speaker 3: Let's get it. Let's come on.
Speaker 4: What something brother? How are you?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: Iron well and grateful.
Speaker 1: I appreciate your time and energy always. I picture all I pictured this just the way it went right. We get the intro, you start the vibe right away and it's love. Come on, come on man, you again shot the DJ fuse that's our DJ. Put that intro together for.
Speaker 3: You man, phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, sir man, the Lord is out. Congratulations, Yeah, got it to bro listen for Laura is out. But let's not forget about. And there's a list of of of projects that have been hitting all platforms. Rent Due with him Boy Crazy, Majorly Independent with p low Oi live from the two O six We Valaura is out. Did I miss anything that.
Speaker 3: Was this year? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Three point play.
Speaker 3: Easy, Yeah we went a five piece this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a lot of music.
Speaker 3: Well, can I give you a little exclusive?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 3: Rent paid coming? Me and hit Boy just finished yesterday, stop it. We're closing. We're closing the year out.
Speaker 4: Where did y'all finish it?
Speaker 6: A year?
Speaker 3: And yeah? Yeah yeah yeah paid?
Speaker 4: How many songs were getting this time? Nine? Nine?
Speaker 3: We'll see I might chop it down?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How many do we have to pick from? Nine? Nine?
Speaker 3: What's crazy about me and hit Boy? Every project we've done, we've done in one day. And all the songs that we made was the song say made it like, that's how that's how we we hit. So yesterday we made seven songs. We had two from prior Rent du was made in five hours, seven songs, and those seven you hear are the seven we made.
Speaker 4: La Russell's in the organic section.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is happening ically.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, it's not on sale. We're doing everything organic. Yeah. What's behind that work? Ethic? That always interests me?
Speaker 6: Love?
Speaker 3: I love what I do. I got an extreme passion forward. I just love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Did you feel love growing up?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the.
Speaker 4: I guess in different forms.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Like I didn't. I didn't. I didn't have a perception of what love was for me to feel indifferent. So what I was given?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so is that is that the reason behind your love for what you do? It's like, yo, I'm gonna give this love. I have so much love. I found what I love and this is what's going into it. Is that the main ingredient?
Speaker 3: I think that's like universally ordained, you know, I don't I don't know how I got here and got to become this being. You know, I feel like those are just this thing. When you're born, you get some of your mom, some of your dad, and some from the universe. That's just like this is who you are, and that just kind of I don't know what it is. It just kind of shined through me. Yeah, Yo, Tiny Desk was crazy. You had a good time. Come on, we had a great time. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone had more fun than the russ.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: God, like you're having a phenomenal time and it's just one of those moments like, yeah, like this was supposed to happen.
Speaker 3: Man, Tiny Desk was on my PR hit list for about three or four years. So for us to finally get there independently and you know, without backing and from the Bay you know, I went we went back home to Vallejo after like that was a really special moment.
Speaker 1: Really special moment that it's not like your only there's so many special moments. You dog gets crazy, bro. Yeah, yeah, and you know it. Yeah, believes that you have to believe it because you've been on stage with five people looking at you, like, how come no one's here?
Speaker 4: Right, you have to believe it.
Speaker 1: You have to believe that this is.
Speaker 4: Going to go. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I also believe though, with that excitement that you wanted to do Tiny Desks, there will be artists I want to perform at your backyard.
Speaker 3: Man, that already I'm saying, like a tiny it's that significant to the culture, right, it's our version of what tiny desk is nationally. The backyard is a cultured version of that that you can't get nowhere else.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's people who come perform in the backyard and they like, I've never felt nothing like that.
Speaker 1: Nah, that's a different energy in that backyard. That's just that's just grassroots. That's that's where it's home.
Speaker 3: It's community.
Speaker 4: It's community, that's what it's about.
Speaker 3: I love the walks you take come on that you know about the stroke come.
Speaker 1: It makes me want to walk, right, I haven't yet, but I will process.
Speaker 4: I'll get back to it. Get I was on it for a minute then I fell off.
Speaker 3: I love it, Man, take them walks. It's gonna it changes your life.
Speaker 4: It really does.
Speaker 3: It's so important. And I had came to a point in my journey where I was like, man, I really just want to get paid to live. So I'm just gonna document myself living in the strolls. We have so many people we be on the stroll and we be having people ride pass us in the car watching the stroll. You know, like it's such a beautiful It's a beautiful thing. And a lot of people began to walk just from the strolls, you know, they get to feel like they on a walk with us. And when I was doing it, I was always like, it would have been crazy to be able to walk with like a Kanye or a nip or Hole when they was building all that they was building and just hear they mind and how it was working, and we created the strolls and it was perfect.
Speaker 4: The strolls is where the truth is.
Speaker 3: That's where all the game and the inside and yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it's just it's and it's raw, it's formed. Yes, there's no smoking mirrors.
Speaker 4: It's a walk. We strolling dog and were talking and we're getting it out.
Speaker 1: No man, yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 4: I love the smile.
Speaker 1: Man, come on, come on, man, we gotta smile more. I have to remind myself to smile.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a we kind of conditioned not to smile. And it's so intriguing because you'll be in a position where you really want to smile and you really enjoying your time, but you just like refuse to. You know, it's a condition that you really got to unwine and break, and that's why I'd be smiling so much. Smiles is contagious, it.
Speaker 1: Is very much so is What job did you quit before you took this?
Speaker 4: Very seriously?
Speaker 3: My last job was at an aerospace plant. WHOA, yeah, all right, so what were you doing now? I had started on the workfloor and I was doing like production and packaging, and then I got to move up into like contracts and ad men.
Speaker 4: You're making good money, decent money.
Speaker 3: I was making decent money that I thought was good money because like in a hood, ain't nobody got no money, So you think you really making money until you start making money and you.
Speaker 1: Like, bro, I wasn't making no money, right, right, right, that's true. And did you give you two weeks or were you like today's yep? Yeah, yep man. Yeah, that's a brave move, that's right. That's a leap, man.
Speaker 3: It was a big leap for me, especially because like I was using my job to fund my journey. So all those my first shows, I was taking the money from my job to fund it. So when it was like, man, I'm gonna lose my job, I made a promise to myself that I would work, you know, twice as hard.
Speaker 4: Win or lose.
Speaker 1: I love the line win, not win or lose, just win, just win. Well, there's no loss, there's only lessons, right you heard. Yeah, Man, it's the biggest lesson so far. I know you've been through it and you're smiling through it, which I can appreciate.
Speaker 3: The biggest lesson so far.
Speaker 4: Whether it's through a major conversations.
Speaker 3: Man, I think I think the biggest lesson is just to be authentic, Like I've I've gotten so many opportunities because I'm a Russell, not because I'm a rapper, not because I do strong, because I'm not performed, but because people love Larussell as the being you know, Like I don't have a big song or a million strings, I don't have no hit. I am my biggest song. I am that thing that people think of, and being authentic has gotten me further than I could have ever got in through marketing or digital campaigns or hits. It's just it changed everything for me. I'm in here because I'm Larussell.
Speaker 4: Because you're yourself.
Speaker 1: Man, being yourself takes courage too, dog, especially today, come on, with social media and everything going around this, right, being yourself almost is rare, you know what's crazy?
Speaker 3: But it's the like most natural thing. Like I wake up as me, so when I walk out my house, if I choose to be anything else, that's me taking.
Speaker 4: The harder route, right, Yeah, I want to make it harder on yourself.
Speaker 1: It's that easy, right, right?
Speaker 2: Or is it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean for some people it is, I guess, and for some people it isn't. But they gotta find that for sure.
Speaker 4: What's jack?
Speaker 2: Let's talk about players holiday, like the Bary Avengers getting together.
Speaker 1: How was that? Like?
Speaker 2: I feel like the cities do that man monumental thing like I feel like the bay rides so hard for each other that seeing that was just insane.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was monumental just being on a shoot and looking left and right and seeing like everybody there in that moment. I was really showing a lot of love the Plow because Plow is one of those He's done so much for the coaching, for everybody that everybody shows up for him. He's one of the very few who could make that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you heard people makes the call.
Speaker 4: You got to answer, for sure, God, you got to what a good dude too? Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, God, Man, for sure. I love seeing that energy though. I love when cities do that, right. I think it's important that here with the pop out, it's a different hangout. It's different pop out, right, But like nah, like people that come together in their city and hold it down.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a very special thing. It shows unity and strength necessary. That's the only way to you could you could get to a certain level just together.
Speaker 4: Question you have to ask, like forty eight, we want to do this over again?
Speaker 3: Or did you ask any other people that did the original player's holiday? Pilo put that together. I didn't have to do nothing I didn't have to do nothing. But that's a pilo.
Speaker 1: It was sent to me.
Speaker 3: I knocked it out and sent it back. You know, I don't ask no question speaking up your work ethics. What's the fastest you've made a song in five minutes?
Speaker 4: Five minutes?
Speaker 3: Was all of my songs? An average is like what bro like ten fifteen minutes?
Speaker 1: I make it when I come home though that's not five minutes.
Speaker 3: That was five minutes. No, when I come home with five minutes documented. It's online, we live streamed.
Speaker 4: It, yo, So like what that's just that's just a feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I usually I won't write if it don't come to me, Like I don't force right, if its own and I'm not feeling it and loving it, I just don't do it because it don't come to me. But most of my songs is probably when these on you here was made in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: And let you know, there's people that are in the studio twenty four hours a day working on you know, working on one verse.
Speaker 3: I tell you, I tell you, not me, not me. No, I can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 4: Nah, I mean I think that's that's what it's about.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's about like, it's about a feeling, it's about connection, and it's about right now, not overthinking it. Yeah, that's why you don't have no gray hair though. I just let it flow. Yeah, let it flow.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 5: Let you no, I'm going back to time and the speed and efficiency. You know, you've collaborated with a lot of great time to people. Who's one person that you know left the left an impression regarding the work ethic, professionalism and and just turn turn around time.
Speaker 3: Hmm. Malachi, my my little homie, Malachi. We when I was making a pilo, I made the pilo majorly independent and rent do all in the same like the same day. I think we left Pelos to it. Then we went we made those same time, right, And I told Mally it was one of his first trips with us out here, and I was like, every time you hear beat, if I'm writing, just write. It might not make it, but if you ready, I'm gonna let you go. I think we probably did like thirteen songs total when he was on ten of them. I get in the studios with a lot of people, A lot of people cannot hang and write with me. I be bored because I be done and I gotta sit and wait, you know, and I like to be in the flow. I usually do five six seven songs a session. I like to be in the flow. And he's the only one who could stay in that cadence and flow. It's a really superior ability and a.
Speaker 1: Breath of fresh air. I guess you heard, yeah, one hundred percent of Malchai.
Speaker 2: Yeah for real, man, you know, I feel like something that everybody talked about whenever your name comes up is Larussell's vibe, Like Larussell's vibe is so this so that? What how would you describe your vibe? Because I saw a comment on your Instagram what they say, Hey said, Loresslo gives me cool Jim teacher bikes.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, right right right. I don't I don't know how I would describe it. Like I don't meet me often in the world, you know, Like we meet so many people, and it's it's very seldom I make people that has me as excited about life and the experience that I witness people walk away from us with. So I don't know, I don't know, it's just like it's a life energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, what was going through your head with until the Sun Goes Down? What was going through your spirit?
Speaker 3: I was, I have wrote till the Sun Goes Down. That whole a Lord project I did in like two days, right, So all of all of these songs made in two days. And I was kind of just in a space because I have wrote caught Up in my head and when I come home and shout out Troy Taylor, he sent me a pack and I was just like, man, I really want to write like some country and some R and B joints that just feel like the music I used to hear growing up in my household, you know, and you wake up and your mama cleaning and you hear them old R and B jams. I was like, I really want to make those songs. I want to make something that feel like that until the song goes down. It's just like the ogs love that song. I feel it, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those you know, right, It's just yeah, it's got like a nostalgia feel to it, but it's got, you know, that new feeling and.
Speaker 4: That wrongness to it.
Speaker 1: Man. It's good man, come on, yeah, Nah survived for sure, man. Yeah, So what songs did you wake up to growing up.
Speaker 3: The clean up woman. Uh huh. I used to always hear my mama playing the clean up woman. Sometimes it'll be Richie, rich ain't gonna do nah. Sometimes it'll be uh, you gotta clean up, Well, you're messed up a lot a lot of Oh, it was such a range. You know, you gonna wake up to two thousand and one the Chronic or you gonna wake up to some the Staples singers.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was it was so so much range.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no my house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like my mom would listen to like the Beg's right and the Beatles, and then it'd be like some Spanish music and it'd be like the craziest shuffle.
Speaker 4: It was just wild, wild, right.
Speaker 1: But those are the sounds that inspire us. So you know those are the those are the songs that are.
Speaker 3: Like they shape who we become.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they shape you for sure.
Speaker 3: No, That's how powerful music is, you know, and why you could never discredit it or minimize the impact and the power of what kids here and consume because it shapes you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's up? Let you going back to you know, CRUs brings up Spanish music.
Speaker 5: H do you see or study like the demographics that follow you and if so, like do you have a large life, you know, following, I.
Speaker 3: Don't like study it in a data way, but I'd be at my shows and I'd be around the hood and you know, as I'm walking around, the homies love me and I grew up with Mexicans, Like every single day I was at my best friend crib and like that's I'm just you know, in the hood like that, that's how you grow up, you feel me. But yeah, we got a big demo. Like the dope thing about our shows is if you was to come to a show and someone was like, man, what's the demographic, you wouldn't be able to explain it. It is every single race, in every single age.
Speaker 2: The mission district gets down with Larissel.
Speaker 3: You heard.
Speaker 4: Did you pick up any Spanish growing up?
Speaker 5: Uh not?
Speaker 6: You know, you know curse words? We all in the curse works right right right, my mom lev right.
Speaker 4: You said your homie was Mexican. Your best friend who was it? What's his name?
Speaker 3: Boka? That's actually his dad is the first person that put me in the studio and the first time I got to hear myself on wax. So did he see something in you that we were you freestyling. I mean, I was just always enthusiastic to rap.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I used to always write rap and he used to make beats, so I always hear him make beats and I'd be like, man, let me spit some And I was making beats at the time too, so I send him beats to listen to. I was just always enthusiastic about music. Yeah, sir, yeah, yo, you were you were summing to like make a theme song for first of all, like a food truck. Yeah that's crazy. Yeah yeah yeah live and I made a slap Yo, I made a slap.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 3: I was listening to the song in the car and I was just like, man, it's really it's selling them. You hear a theme song that you like that, you know?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then for your daughter's school as well, yep, right, So what was that?
Speaker 4: What was that about?
Speaker 3: Man? We had a t right elite? Yeah, elite? So there doctor Bishop who owns that school. It's it's a public charter, so that's privately owned outside of the district, so they get to kind of embrace kids in a different way. And she's always thinking the cool new ways to kind of be fresh and give them opportunities that they may not have. And you know, my daughter goes there, so I really try to lend myself to the school when I can. And we got to make that song with the kids, and it was such a dope experience because I wasn't gonna do it originally, even with the truck thing. Like anytime someone hits me to do stuff like that, I'm always kind of atverse first because my music has to really happen organically and I never want to do nothing corny. That's like I don't like that you feel me. So if I can't find like an organic means to do it, I just won't do it. But I was just really trying to stretch myself and try it, and like with the food truck, it was like, let's pull up and let's just see how it comes about. I can hear you exactly and making something that still feels like me. You know, if I can't show off as myself, I'd rather not show up. So in these songs, it was like we was able to make things that still felt like Larrussell music that you could play at a.
Speaker 4: Show right right, right right, and you should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how old is your daughter she's twelve?
Speaker 2: She's twelve? Does she get like kind of embarrassed when it comes to like everyone comes up to you like, yo, your dad's larrussell.
Speaker 6: She's like, my dad's just.
Speaker 1: My dad, you know.
Speaker 3: She she had a point now or like she leaning it into it because it's life favorable to you know, to get the perks from it. But it's also like, you know, so to her is regular too.
Speaker 4: So that song you can mark down as like parents volunteer hours then right.
Speaker 3: Certain community.
Speaker 1: I always try to find different ways to get out of that.
Speaker 4: Right, Can I donate some T shirts? Can I?
Speaker 3: That is hilarious? I know you got it. You gotta show up, You gotta be present, because like when I go pick my daughter up and just doing that process. Even we have a group of kids at our school who comes and help out with the backyard shows, and our presence changes so much, like they really their perception of success is altered. They see somebody who's successful, so they now think they can be successful. I never seen nobody successful at my school, in my neighborhood, in my city growing up, I never met anyone who made it. They see somebody almost every day. So it really starts to play into your psyche of like he's on the radio and he's at the school and I see her. I hear him every day and I see him. I can do it, you know. So it's very necessary to show up. You can't just get a t shirts cruise.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm scheduled at the school tree lot this year.
Speaker 1: I'm scheduled at the cafeteria next week.
Speaker 4: I'm doing the turkey trot, just did the walker thon. We're here, baby, logging hours down. We have to show up and we got to show out. Man.
Speaker 3: Man, it's necessary. It changes everything.
Speaker 4: It really does. It really does.
Speaker 1: And we're you know, what I'm trying to do is I'm trying to do everything that wasn't done for me, you know, and and I remember everything. Dog, you know, I'm trying to do it all. Bro yese me Yo the Lord. Congratulations on him. Gratitude, man, keep going. Man paid on its way, you hurt man.
Speaker 3: Paid on his way. We got some mike and keys on his way. We got some bangled dess on the way. The clip fools, man, I'm flooding, you know. I got into this space where I'm just like I just want to be free again and let everything go. You know, it's like you get in this mix where you start dealing with like label partners and dis your partners, and they convince you you need to wait six weeks and you got to roll out there and do this. And that's never been my thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm here today because I drop music and I put that. I put out shit that people love and enjoy, and that's what we own, so we coming.
Speaker 1: I always say, there is no rules. You make your own rules.
Speaker 3: It ain't none. And it's crazy because you'll slowly get convinced that it is. While you around a bunch of people who think it's rules. You start embracing them rules as your ethics and your law, and it's like, nah, that ain't even real. It ain't real. You could do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want. Man problems are man made you hurt man for sure.
Speaker 2: He's Jack get Rich for the crucihow thanks for listening to the Crucial podcast. Make sure to subscribe and here auto download so you don't miss an episode.
Speaker 1: Out South South South South