Speaker 1: Good evening, and welcome to another edition of the Cajun Night Live. I am your host, the Cajun Knight, Jacob Mook, and welcome everybody to another group. We've got a lot of things to discuss this evening. We're gonna start off primarily talking about some of the interesting and controversial things going on in the good old us of A. Then I've got some things that we're gonna talk about on the international stage, some Europeans things, some Russian, Ukrainian things, maybe some Israel Gaza things. We're gonna jump all over the place. For anybody listening that would like to be a part of the Wednesday Night Cajun Night Lives, then please come to the link in the description below and go to the Patreon. There's only one tier for injury, and we're trying to grow this thing to be its own autonomous group of individuals sharing ideas and information, philosophy, all the things. Let's just jump straight into it here. Also, I should mention Patreon is the only place where you're gonna be able to find a video for all these things. So if you want to see what we're talking about, this place to go. So I didn't know this, But did y'all know that AOL dial up is still a thing? It was, but it is about to go offline. This is from ABC News. AOL is set to pull the plug on the iconic dial up internet service, y'all. I honestly didn't know that this was even still offered. I you know, this is about as crazy to me as to say, well, I guess we're gonna take down the old telegraph lines. People ain't really using it no more Like I genuinely thought that this went by the wayside and somewhere in the mid two thousands. But here we are, and they are finally about to pull the plug. They got a little video on this article that we could just play, and then we're gonna talk a little bit more about it. Let's go, oh that iconic sound.
Speaker 2: Time now for our last call we love and remember that classic Tom Hanks med Ryan film rom com. You've got mail? But do you remember hearing that dial up sound? Well we literally put it in the show in case you are under thirty and don't remember.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Now America Online or AOL, is now announcing that it's pulling the plug on the long time dial up service this September thirty. So we're gonna bring back the panel. And first, everybody quick raise your hands. Do you remember dial up? Did you ever have it in your house? And while everyone's putting their hands up, Mike, where the heck is Bike's hands? Okay, thank you, Mike, you are our resident tech expert. I'm going to you bring us back to those early days of dial up.
Speaker 1: You have ten.
Speaker 4: Seconds, really quickly. The fact that one hundred and seventy five, two hundred and fifty thousand Americans in twenty twenty five to rely on dial up gives me an indication, as class cold water of me that there still is a problem in access with brough up in infrastructure, and we still need so much digital literacy in a way that we're heading toward the AI future that we're in right now.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: That was so succinct and so well said. Mike, took up all the time. Everybody else gets one word, Heidi, how do you feel about dial up going away? One word?
Speaker 1: Who's surprised?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 5: That's okay?
Speaker 2: That was that was a couple of words. That's okay. Meheck, how do you feel about dial up going away?
Speaker 6: I'm with Mike on this one, one hundred percent agree with him.
Speaker 1: We have one minute left.
Speaker 2: I was told to move quickly through this segment, but we have a minute left, which is an hour in television PREA you get the rest of the time. How do you feel about dial up going away?
Speaker 7: Well, in all fairness, I did grow up on the tail end of dial up before everybody else got regular Internet. But I will say it does make me sad. It's just one another piece that gen Z gets to claw away from this millennial.
Speaker 1: That is pretty funny that gen Z are never going to understand dial up or even know what that tone is. But neither here nor there. I did like the point that was made by Mike Muse. As we are entering the AI generation, we still have over one hundred and fifty thousand people that are still using dial up as of time of recording. That's pretty insane to me. I genuinely thought that that was a foregone technology. But you'll learn something new every day. Let's get after it here. It's the end of an era for AOL. After more than thirty years of connecting people to the Internet through the dial up, AOL is hanging up its iconic service. AOL routinely evaluates its products and services and has decided to discontinue dial up Internet to the company's website states this service will no longer be available on AOL plans. The change will not affect any other benefits for your AOL. The company stated the service and dialer software will be discontinued as of September thirtieth, twenty twenty five. The distinctive, high pitched dial tone, humming and worrying may sound like a distant memory of an early Internet days for some, especially with the advent of wireless model connections that have replaced the conventional phone line technology. America Online is the Internet pioneer of the early nineteen nineties, changed its name to AOL in two thousand and six. Maybe that's why I thought it went away when it changed, like officially the name change. Maybe I thought that they also did away with dial up altogether at that time. I don't know. I was. I was still a child in six I who knows, well I say that, yeah, freshman hight, Yeah, I was a kid. I was a kid anyone. In twenty seventeen, it shut down the popular instant messenger service AIM. Wow. I didn't know that aim was still up and operating in twenty seventeen. That's crazy. And there's also some iconic sounds that come to memory with that, the door closing, the door opening, anyone, anyone. And the company was sold to Apollo Global Management in twenty twenty one, becoming the new Yahoo, Inc.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just kind of starting off with a lighthearted conversation, right, this is the end of an era, a legitimate end of era. Not mad at it, not sad about it. And I'm like, oh man, that's one. It's it is a thing that we everybody that we're actually using the internet during this timeframe will be able to remember, and pretty much everybody born from I mean, honestly, I would say probably two thousand and six onward, but realistically there may still be some small remnants of it, one hundred and fifty thousand people in America that will be able to speak with actual clarity on the dial up tone, that legendary signature sound. But it's also pretty interesting to see how technology is traversed and is moving forward as fast as it is. Moving on to the next topic, the urban vertical Farming project. So I don't know if anybody's heard this, but this actually makes sense to me, so quick breakdown before we get into the article. I know that in my area of the country there are two big super mals, right, big malls that used to be like the pop and spot. There was one called ball Marche and it was the mall like when you and your friends would go to the mall that was the spot. Then the mall at Cortana was built, and anybody in and around Baton Rouge will understand some of these terms. Everybody else will think I'm just making up terms. It doesn't matter. Just bear with me here. Ball Marche became the rougher place to go shop and Cortana was like the spot. Then the Mall of Louisiana was built right by the Interstate. Then the Cortana Mall became kind of the rundown section and nobody really shot there. There was only a few stores that would even remain open. But these buildings are still in place. These buildings have a lot of skylights and direct sunlight, and they're indoor. They're close proximity to big highways, they have big parking lots. The infrastructure is still there to do something with these buildings, but it's not a lot of people that are opening up stores anymore, especially with Amazon and all kinds of online shopping, and then things being delivered straight to your door. You no longer have to go to like try on shoes at this point, you can just have them delivered straight to your door. So big mall complexes are starting to be more and more phased out. That being said, there is a group that is currently working at using these buildings in these locations for more effective and productive means, So let's talk about it here. Time magazine once described malls as pleasure domes with parking malls in general. Strip malls in particular, are ubiquitous in suburban areas or suburban America. Rather, built in the nineteen fifties, sixties, and seventies during rapid suburban expansion and rapidly increasing car usage. For better or worse, they were once a sign of progress. Now a major enclosed mall hasn't been built in the United States since two thousand and six, and many are completely abandoned. According to Don Wood, the CEO of the Federal Yet Reality Investment Trust, even the process of knocking down or converting a mall could take as long as two decades. And I can understand that too, tearing down that large of a structure and hauling off the rubble, rezoning it if it's listed as commercial, if you're trying to rezone it for apartment complexes to residential. It's not like it's an impossible feat. It takes time and it takes money, and I don't mean a little money, I mean deep, deep pockets to make that kind of big change happen. So it's a thing. So the structures may be here to stay, but they don't have to just be a homage to what once was abandoned malls and strip malls could be easily and efficiently converted into vertical farms. So where are strip malls headed in the short term? Why we should grow food in mixed use structures and think more about their impact on the local economies. And doesn't make sense to convert a strip mall to a vertical farm. Let's break this down. So, so their present abandonment actually has a lot to do with the success they had in their early days. At that time, it was almost unimaginable a strip mall would be torn down, worthless or avoided. As a result, leases were signed, sometimes for more than fifty years. However, those leases had one important omission, an option to terminate that actually made a little sense back then, But now communities pay for developer and realature strong sightedness or short sightedness rather, though, you can't be too hard on them for failing to predict the Internet and online shopping with these awful structures, right, But what if we could put them to good use? As The New Yorker noted, in some cases the buildings have been converted into community colleges, corporate headquarters, or churches. But what about vertical farms? They're definitely possible. But let's look at the conventional wisdom about strip mall's first and what they that industry looks like in the short term, strip malls in the short term in terms of symbolism, excuse me, symbolism. There's actually a website called deadmalls dot com. That's just a gallery of failure. Wow, okay, that's that's kind of funny. I didn't know there was a website strictly devoted to taking pictures of the ruins of what was once shopping malls. That's that's pretty funny. Okay. The Internet just be Internet, and doesn't it The primary reason for these failings is that the anchor stores think about like the big stores that are usually at the perimeter of the mall, think of your Dillards, your Sears, you know, these types of things have lost so much ground to online shopping. These were the stores that drove traffic to malls in the first place and allowed these smaller retailers with less of an advertising budget to bring people to their doors. Wow. Yeah, that's just the nature's starting to overtake what was once the mall. That's crazy. Even more shutdowns are on the way. According to an industry study reported on the Wall Street Journal, in order to regain past levels of profit, department stores will have to close over eight hundred locations. Mall owners will struggle to fill spaces of that size, often resorting to discount retailers like TJ Max and Marshals, or converting the spaces to moviet theaters, which is also something that's going by the wayside because of all the streaming surfaces. So anyway, this leads to decreased traffic for the entire mall environment, meaning even more closures will follow in an increasingly vicious cycle. So let's jump ahead here. To where it talks about growing food in mixed use spaces. Mixed use first to the development that combines residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial uses in a way where it is physically and functionally cenergetic and that facilitates foot traffic. I personally hate the words synergy and synergetic, but I know it's going to be used in this good bit. Let's just get after him anyway. Let's look at Jane for a quick example. Jane is an accountant at a local firm across the street from an apartment where she lives. On a typical day, she packs your lunch and heads across the street for a pleasant nine to five on of her clients. That thing is supposed to be. One of her clients is the local grocer, which is the first floor in the same building as her apartment on the sixth. She works on her account until closing, when she meets some friends for a happy hour a restaurant downstairs from the office. Jane orders a beer, which the restaurant bruise itself. Not only does it sell the beer at its own bar, but it also sells it at the grocery store next door. Jane also orders a salad at a restaurant. Some of the produce comes from the same grocery store, which has worked out in a wholesale deal with the restaurants they both save on shipping, but a large portion of that salad is greens, and the greens come from hydroponics farmed on the top floor of the building that Jane lives in, where can harness sunlight and HVAC exhaust from the apartments and turn it into energy. The hydroponic farm supplies both restaurl and grocer and also gets its taxes done with Jane. That actually sounds like a pretty solid setup, which, if I'm not mistaken, is also something that they're trying to do with the line in Dubai. It's a very all enclosed ecosystem of human living. But anyway, this synergy is extremely important, and when looking at the economic impact of local businesses, it becomes something even more exciting to encourage. Local businesses account for half of the private economy, largely due to multiplate multiplier multiplier effects Jesus for communities. Essentially, the multiplier effect means local businesses are more likely to spend money with other local businesses, so much so that for every dollar that moves from being spent at a non local to a local business, the community will see a two to four greater income boost, job creation rate, and return on local taxes. So the overarching idea is that they are going to start trying to use these old, abandoned and strip malls to be hydroponic vertical gardens. I myself am a huge proponent of vertical gardens and hydroponics and aquaponics. I might add I find it to be just a way more efficient way to do things. And if they could actually start using these for that purpose at least a section of them. Right, And you think of your big malls that you have, maybe not all the little department stores on the side, but the main strip of the mall is typically lit by sunlight in a atrium style skylight that has direct sunlight in it. If you were to plant a very long strip of a vertical garden on the inside of this mall, and it's an enclosed system and you can maintain the temperature, you get a couple of people to maintain what the water nitrate levels are and all these things, then you could sell that at a i'll talk a cut rate to give local good, healthy produce to the local communities. And most of these malls are now you know, surrounded by let's just call it low income communities. That's just a double hit of good things to come. Go ahead, Raven Lee, I see your hand raised.
Speaker 8: I do agree with you. I think that there's a lot of conversations I've been having about how they can supply all the different people. You know, there's so many groups that aren't having enough. I dropped a link in the chat that's actually a group that is working with malls and and pretty much is talking about doing vertical gardens in malls and museums to try to help like promote the environment and promote different stuff like that. But with vertical gardening and that kind of empty space is using the abandoned buildings repurposing them is a huge thing, and that that would be able kind of the same conversation of making community gardens. They can utilize this as a community garden, just on a scale, and that shows lots of benefits actually for supporting lower crime in the community, for uplifting and actually lowering depression and anxiety within the community. There's out of Detroit and Chicago, they did two studies and it shows the benefits of even doing a small little community garden, what it does and the impact it does in the community. So it could be that they these locations could feed potentially large amounts of people and would help reduce a lot of the crime in the area as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, I could believe that one hundred percent. So the link that you shared is from Botanic Botanics Bota ni KKs.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a group that they they've done it to like for locations, they've added in vertical gardens of different varieties to specialize locations like the Art Museum and Life and Stufience Museum and stuff like that around like Beijing, Malaysia and a couple other places, and kind of like they do down in specific parts in South America where they're adding in the concrete jungle where they add in the bushes now and they're covering those places to try to help with the air quality and to be able to keep the air pollutants down. It's all a part of it. But now the conversation, they just did the first decomposition of a body regenerated in fungus in mushroom, and so they're like they're all kind of intertwined with trying to help the environment, feed the people, reduce pollution, and be able to kind of reuse and recycle what we have going on right now.
Speaker 1: Hold on, just to clarify something, you said, the decomposition of a body, you mean a human body and they turn that into mushrooms.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'll have to look for the article. I just saw it the other day because I follow a couple of the California They have the pods in the wall where you put the bodies in the wall and it's like a circular it looks like a little hobbit door and they put them in there and then what they do is they decompose over a certain amount of days and they have like a bacterial composition that they've figured out how to quickly get rid of the body in like a fertilizing soil, and they're using that to help refertilize other things as that. As you know in nature, they also have the ones where you're trees, and they're the ones that where your different types of plants where your body gets planted underneath it. Now they're trying, because they're trying to figure out ways to use human bodies that are deceased to be able to fertilize and help restore the nutrients in the ground because we've ran out of space for all the bodies while we're running out of space and so the crematoriums are running NonStop pretty much. But that causes pollution and stuff like that, and so many people are trying to say, you know, is there a way that we could use human bodies to regenerate the land that is destroyed?
Speaker 1: So wow, I mean, I'm not necessarily against that. I mean, I've seen these pods where you know, you can have your remains be put in a pod and then like a tree will grow from it, and it's like your body will be like the initial nutrients for the tree's growth, and that's, you know, that's a cool thing. I'm not. I don't judge people based off of what they want to do with their bodily remains. I for one, want to be cremated and put into fireworks. That's just me. Some people want to be buried in a plot, some family plot, next to their loved ones, and like that's you know, everybody's got their own thing. I'm not. I'm not throwing shade one way or another. But to say that you're going to have mushrooms be grown from a human body, I'm, for the love of all that is holy, I am praying that it is not of the psychedelic variety, because I know quite a few people that would who's their mind if they found out that they were ingesting psychedelic mushrooms that were grown from a corpse. I can already hear some very dear friends of mine going off talking about the crazy things that they would experience off of that. But yeah, let's just hope that it's like Portobellos, you know. But yeah, yeah, I mean I could see that being a possibility as well, using humor remains and just remains in general of dead plants and everything else to make better fertilizers. So absolutely, I don't want to read a little bit from this article that you sent from botanics or botanis. I'm not sure how which one you pronounce it, as it talks about the benefits of vertical gardening in malls. It will improve air quality. Indoor air quality is crucial and pollutants can negatively affect human health. I agree with that one hundred percent. Plants are literally filtration systems for this enhanced esthetics one hundred percent. Who doesn't love nature? Right, No more empty walls. I know quite a few people that have a like serious issue with looking at bare walls. So that would improve. That creates a healthier environment, multiple levels of it. Creating a healthier environment, good things. Increase in visitors possibly possibly, yes, maybe no, but I mean that's you don't need visitors in order for the plants to grow and for them to be sold or donated or whatever. But okay, it could absolutely and reduce energy costs. Vertical gardens can also help with temperature control in the space. They act as a natural insulator, which can lead to a decrease in energy cost for heating and cooling in the area. Now, that's a good idea. Designing and implementing a vertical garden in a mall. You got to choose the right location that makes sense. You got to choose a spot that gets good natural light. That's ideal for a vertical garden. You should also consider the traffic flow in the area. Ideally, you want your garden to be visible and accessible to as many people as possible. Okay, fair enough, consider the size and shape of the wall. Very true, that you know makes sense led to the right plants. Very important, very important. I know somebody who had an aquaponic system and he chose the wrong type of fish for the aqua part, and he chose the wrong type of plants for the plant based part, and one good cold snap killed his entire crop of fish and plants. So got to make sure you're doing your research on which which plants would do the best for that environment, and which plants would be easier sold in your area. Like, if you're living in a spot that really gets down with kale, then like maybe you would grow kale. That's good things. If you're in an area that really prefers, you know, cucumbers, then I'm just saying you have to do your research, but very good things. Thinking about irrigation, your vertical garden will require a special irrigation system to ensure that the plants receive enough water and nutrients. Drip irrigation systems are often used to water vertical gardens. I don't think that that's really a problem because most of these malls have fire systems that are already built into them, So honestly, you could just you know, repurpose some of those or even just do it like not a tie in. Those systems have to be completely separate from the other water lines in the building, and I understand that. My point is though, like the infrastructure, the banisters that have the railings for pipes to be built onto, you just have to kind of build off of that. On the other side, it's it really wouldn't take much doing and seek professional help. Well, I mean, hey, who couldn't benefit from seeing a little more professional help maintenance and care. It's really not much to maintain a hydroponic system. It sounds like it's crazy. The legwork is in the beginning of it. Once it's up and running, you really just have to do some daily checks, like maybe once, if not twice a day, come by and check the pH check the nitrate levels, make sure that you don't have like an insect problem. And like that's what I'm saying. You could hire one to two people to maintain an entire strip malls worth of a hydroponic garden. That's okay, fair enough, watering the plants regularly, proper lighting, prune the plants very true, fertilize the plants. Like I said, you gotta check the nitrate levels pest control, yes, indeed, air circulation one hundred percent and monitor plants health. And that's what I'm saying. It depends on the scale, right, depends on the size of the vertical garden that you're talking about here, but it really the juice is absolutely worth the squeeze pun intended. Go ahead, Raven.
Speaker 8: Just to touch on the how many states legal by the way, that human composting is legal is thirteen states and fifteen more pinning the legislation right now, so fifteen states are one hundred percent you can do human comp Wow. And yes, there's a really cool YouTube video on vertical gardening the people that actually are doing the massive warehouses of them, and it breaks it down like all to the cellular level. It's a fascinating documentary about it.
Speaker 1: It's really good, absolutely and I'm as I said, I am a huge proponent of it. My parents' greenhouse is nothing but vertical gardens, and their square footage of their land versus the yield that they're getting from their plants is I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's insane. It's not even like they have a big, massive setup. It's a forty foot greenhouse. And the amount of just handover fist production they're getting out of their plants is mind blowing. Okay, very good thing, so possibly coming to them all near you vertical gardens. All right, now, let's move on to more political conversation here. This is actually an article from Al Jazeera Trump. Does Trump brokered deal squeeze Russia and Iran out of the South Caucuses. I'm not exactly sure if it does or does not. But for anybody who didn't hear a transit corridor pack signed by Azerbaijohn and Armenia could be game changing, according to several experts. So for anybody who didn't know, Azerbaijohn and Armenia have been in let's just call it conflict for somewhere around like thirty five years, give or take, and Trump just kind of brokeer the deal that made them come to the negotiation table together. Now, a lot of people in America do not know about this, because most people in America that I've talked to don't even know that Azerbaijohn is its own country. That's a true statement, sadly, but it is what it is, and honestly, the only reason why most Americans know about Armenia is because of the Armenian genocide that took place in you know, just a couple of decades ago. So it's unless it's done something crazy to be in the headlines. Most Americans don't really know about it, but let's talk. Azerbai John's president Ilham Aliev probably mispronounced it, and his late father im predes Haidar Aliev and some of their closest political allies hail from Nakchevin. Yeah, that's the spot. The name of this tiny mountainous and underdeveloped Azari area sandwich between Armenia Iran Turkey sounds unfamiliar to those outside of the strategic South Caucasus region, but Nakhchievan Knakchevan's name and geopolitical significance resurfaced after the United States President Donald Trump hosted a White House summit between Azari and Armenian leaders. On Friday, Azerbaijan's Prime minister and the Armenian Prime Minister signed a preliminary peace deal to indy decades long conflict over the Neigorno Karabak region. In the early nineteen nineties, ethnic Armenians in the Nigardo Khannabak Kara back rather region broke away from the oil rich Azerbaijohn after a war that killed thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands. Moscow broke her to truce in nineteen ninety four, maintaining two military bases in resource poor Armenia supplying with cheap energy selling arms to Azerbaijan sounds like a win win, to be honest with you, Even though the conflict did not involve Nakchavan. It cut off the zengiir Corridor, a forty kilometer or twenty five mile logistics unbiblical cord to Azeri mainland that consists of a derelict road and paralleled rusty railroad tracks, air travel and hours long bumpy transit through Iran's. Iran's remained the only way to reach the exclave, whose authorities ruled it like a personal fiefdom with lulls and ways of life often contradicting those of the mainland. After winning the twenty twenty war over the Nigorno car back and restoring control over three years later, Baku has been eager to receive or revive the corridor, demanding its extra territorially and even pondering the use of military force. A new reality in the region. On the other hand, the reasons go far beyond restoring access to Aliev's ancestral land. The cor or could become a namoth trans transport hub between Turkey, Azerbaijan and Central Asia. I feel like the Belton Rode initiative might have also had some precedents to kind of lead into this area. I don't know. It may increase the flow of Central Asian hydrocarbons to Turkey and further to Europe, boost the regional economy, and up end Russia's two centuries of domination in the region that also includes Georgia. Armenia was reluctant to allow Azari access to the corridor, fearing that the emboldened Turkish Azari's tandem might jeopardize its security. But Trump cut through the Gordian knot on Friday, and his role essentially cements a new reality in the region. According to Emil Mustefeyev, the Baku based chief editor of the menval Politica online magazine, this is a serious shift in the security architecture and transport logistics of the South Caucuses. While in the White House, Aliev and pash On God I'm butchering these names, lavish Trump with praise and nominated him for a Nobel Peace Prize. Wow. We will see if that gets pushed forward. It's very possible that old Don and T will become a Nobel Laureate's that's a reality that we might see. Okay, what cracked me up in this is that they didn't lose their way about how one has to communicate in Washington. An expert in the region told Al Jazeera. They also flattered Trump by naming the corridor the Trump Route for International Peace and Prosperity or Trip Tripp Wow, and leasing it to Washington for up to ninety nine years with exclusive development rights. And there is the sweetener of the deal. What looks like one of Trump's favorite real estate deals actually heralds a tectonic shift. Trump's administration has indeed been quick to find its way toward the long do geopolitical pivot. China, which has been promoting its Belt and Road initiative in Asia and Eastern Europe, may remain neutral to it. In Russia, which has two military bases in Armenia, might ignore it, at least publicly, he said. But for Iran it's a real blow. So this is a boost to Washington's cloud To guard the trip, Washington may use private military companies and eventually build a military base that nominally safeguards Armenia but actually keeps an eye on Iran with said Ukrainian political analysis analyst Aleski Kutsch Couch, sure it means more potential pressure on Iran and a boost of Washington's clout in the resource rich Caspian region, where US oil companies made sizable investments in the nineteen nineties and Moscow is also about to lose a lot. No matter how paradoxical it sounds, it's Moscow that has been and still is a decisive factor in the peace settlements between Armenia and Azerbaijan, and in sault having the latter's problems of accessing Nakchavan. Dude, I'm sure I've pronounced it right one of those times, said the head of Central Asia's Due Diligence and think tank in London. One of the main motives for the reproachment of both sides is there push to get rid of Moscow's influence of peacekeeper's roles that it had imposed on them. The new deal only highlights how fictitious Moscow's role as a peacekeeper in the Middle East is in peace settlements in South Caucasus, really is. However, the deal is not yet set in stone, and the Trump hosted summit sparked premature optimism, said the University of Exeter in the United Kingdoms, a dude named kevork Auscinian. All Right, this optimism should be tempered by realism and historical precedent, as many peace processes have failed despite promising starts. So, like they said, the deal is not done yet, but at least it's a good start. Now, let's just look at this. Is it more likely that Trump is doing this brokering of this peace deal because he genuinely cares about the people of Armenia and azerbai John, you be the judge. I think that it is more likely that he's doing this. So that, like they said, they could put some American infrastructure in the area, possibly throw a PMC, a private military contractor out in that area to kind of keep an overwatch over it until they can build yet another foreign military base for the United States. That's kind of our jam. We don't do the whole imperialism thing, but we set up a military base there, and that acts as a outpost, right, it acts like one of the tentacles of the octopus. And if we could get something that close to Iran, yeah, I could see that being more of the motive behind Trump wanting to broker a peace deal between the two countries. We will see how it shakes out. But anyway, let's move on here. Let's talk about the Texas Democrat situation. We talked about this last week a little bit. They are trying to read district the state of Texas for better voting numbers right, to make it quote unquote more fair and balanced. And the Democrats in their offices in the state of Texas know that they're about to lose this rezoning vote, so they just took off. They left to go to other states and things. The downside of that is there was other things on the dock that needed to be voted on. Some of that was the flood relief and for all these people that were affected by the Texas floods. So now the Democrats are being blamed for some of the relief to that didn't get to the victims. And meanwhile they're blaming the Republicans for them leaving the state in the first place, which delayed the relief to get to who it was. So the Democrats and Republicans are pointing the finger at each other for well, why didn't you send the flood relief? Well, why didn't you? And it's a mess and all this really stems from the Democrats not showing up to work to do the thing that they were elected to do, which is crazy. But let's go ahead and watch this quick little news clip about it. Then we're going to talk about it some more.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm Dylan McKim here in Kirk County, Texas, where about two hours north in Austin, political feeder is playing out. Texas Democrats have vowed to kill the first special session in order to temporarily block an effort by Republicans to redraw congressional maps, but in doing so, they've also blocked efforts to provide relief for the victims of those deadly floods in central Texas. Both Republicans and Democrats are putting fingers at each other, saying who's to blame for these delays. Meanwhile, here in Kirk County, residents are trying to rebuild.
Speaker 1: Three inches a mid and everything.
Speaker 10: Nathan Rich rents this shop for his diesel repair business. On July fourth, the Guadalupe River came pouring in, damaging electrical equipment and rusting his tools. A month later, his business is somewhat back to normal, but the house he rents next door is completely gutted.
Speaker 5: It's hard to shell out one hundred thousand dollars to rebuild a house.
Speaker 10: Rich received thirty thousand dollars in grants for his business, but grants for his home and personal belongings are limited.
Speaker 9: All the stuff that we've built together just gone.
Speaker 10: This is his wife, Audrey. She works across the street at the local bank. It happens to be the location where residents in Centerpoint, Texas can pick up applications for financial relief. That money is being distributed by the Centerpoint Alliance for Progress, which has about two hundred and seventy thousand dollars to hand out.
Speaker 11: We have a committee that actually went to their houses to verify that they did have damage.
Speaker 10: So far, it's helped fifty eight families with twenty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 12: Checks rent now and hit our shop rent.
Speaker 10: But that money doesn't go far.
Speaker 9: We don't have the money to just rebuild go buy a house, go rent somewhere.
Speaker 10: Local groups like the Alliance are having to step up because relief efforts at the state capitol are stalled as politicians duel over redistricting.
Speaker 11: It would be nice for our government to want to help, but we're going to try to make sure they're taken care of regardless.
Speaker 10: Both political parties are appointing fingers over who to blame and the delay and funding, But people like Rich are choosing not to wait around for Austin politicians.
Speaker 2: I got way more going on than to sit and watch the news and be mad at Democrats or be mad at Republicans or whatever.
Speaker 10: They continue rebuilding little by little with a simple mada, one day at a time in Kirk County. I'm Dylan McKim.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's talk about that a little more in depth. Shally. This is from the Texas Tribune. Texas Republicans and Democrats locked in redistricting battle weaponize the flood response, with Democrats walking out over redistricting, bringing the house to a standstill. Both parties are accusing each other of abandoning Central Texas flood victims. And I'm not saying this because I am more of a conservative minded person, I am going to say who abandoned who, Which side of the aisle just literally up ended and left the state rather than come in and do their job. If we're gonna start pointing the fingers at who is abandoning their post and abandoning their constituents. But let's read in here. When Governor Greg Abbott called a special session last month, he put legislation responding to the devastating Hill count Country floods at the top of the lawmaker's agenda, But with the session went winding down, the legislator's ability to improve disaster response has become tied up in a bitter fight over a rare effort by Republicans to redraw the state's congressional map halfway through the decade. The new map, as demanded by President Trump, would create up to five new GOP seats ahead of next year's midterm elections. The Texas House is in a standstill after Democrats left the state on mass last week to prevent the chamber from voting on the map again blow my mind, and both parties have been accusing each other of abandoning Central Texas flood victims. With the tragedy which killed more than one hundred and thirty people, becoming a political cudgel in the redistricting clash. Republican lawmakers have blasted Democrats for delaying measured measures to bolster the state's emergency response by fleeing the state to deny the House the quorum needed to advance any legislation. The only thing standing between Texas and real disaster relief is whether our absent colleagues decided to show up. That's what Speaker Dustin Burrows, a Republican from Lubbock, said on the House floor Monday, continuing the quote, when the gavel drops, the question is simple, will you be in that chair to vote for these critical disaster recovery bills or will you be remembered as one who did not show up. That's pretty cut and dry there. Democrats say their GOP counterparts showed they were never serious about prioritizing the flood response when they put the contentious redistricting effort first on their agenda. They point out that the flood bill saw no movement in the House in the first two weeks of the session, even as Republicans advanced the congressional map at a quick clip. This is a quote here. Abbot can call a special session today that is dedicated to honoring the loss of the memory of the July fourth flooding victims, or he can once again put DC corruption ahead of Texas communities. Representative Jene Wu of Houston, chair of the House Democratic Caucus, said in a statement Tuesday, Ultimately, all legislation, including the flood response, the new congressional map, stricter regulations on consumable hemp, and a raft of socially conservative a raft of socially conservative priorities Abbot placed on the agenda, will remain stalled until Democrats return to Austin and the House regains a quorum. Republican leaders on Tuesday said that it would they would gabble out the special session early on Friday and immediately launch into a second thirty day session if Democrats did not return to Austin this week. I don't believe they're gonna gonna be real with you. They scheduled the flood bills for a Tuesday vote on the House floor, which did not take place due to insufficient attendance. Upping the pressure on Democrats to return, Abbot has launched a flurry of ads targeting the Democrats who walked out, and he has asked the Texas Supreme Court to declare their seats vacant, arguing they have deserted their office. Again, I'm not saying this because I disagree with their political statements. I'm saying that I agree with him based off of the fact that they're not showing up to work. It's literally their entire job to show up and vote on these things. But yeah, anyway, if Texas House Democrats care about the Texans they abandon, they will return to Austin and do the job they were elected to do. Man Man after my own heart, Abbot spokesperson Andrew Mahalaris think I got that right, said in a statement Tuesday. Democrats said they were eager to pass the flood bills, but refused to play a role in adopting the new congressional which they called an attempt by Trump to rig the midterm elections and maintain Republican control of the US House. So, all right, I don't know. I know a lot of people from Texas. I do have very close family members that live in Texas. I can't imagine that this is going to bode well for the Democrats in the midterms, even if they don't redistrict. Like just being real here, because the people that really need the help right now are not getting it, and there is one side of the isle that is showing up to work. Whether you agree or disagree with their politics, that's not important. You got real people that are really hurting right now, and they're not getting the help that they need because one side of the aisle isn't showing up. I can't imagine the people that are not showing up getting re elected when that time comes. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe these are very long standing seats and this is a person that's been elected eighteen times and it's name recognition alone, so they're gonna get re elected anyway. But I would I would think very low of the people that would vote that kind of person in. And I'm not saying, you know, I don't know each individual person's quality, but if that's what it is, when the going gets tough, you literally abandon your posts until things smooth out. That's not the type of people that I personally would want to run my area or my district or my county or whatever else. But okay, we will see continuing here, it says, Dems say the flood response wasn't a GOP priority. Democrats noted that about halfway into the special session, the Republicans led House hailed four hearings on redistricting and planned a four vote of sorry, a floor vote on the map. The legislature's Disaster Committee meanwhile held two joint hearings on the floods. In these sessions first two weeks before specific bills were introduced, the House and Senate handles advanced their proposals last week. Is another quote from Actually, there's a quote from Representative Anne Johnson, a Democrat from Houston. We have been there for two weeks waiting to address They only put one bill up for us to debate in the House, and it was the redistricting Okay, that's fair. Democrats also argue Republicans showed their priorities by putting a quote unquote call on the House that would hold until the redistricting map was adopted without mentioning the flood related bills. Okay, so it's dirty politics either way, slicely, I get this, But again, as an elected official, your job is to wade into the waters of dirty politics, not abandon it when things don't look like they're going to go your way. So anyway, just given the update on the Texas situation, we talked about it last week, and I thought it was worth bringing up again this week. All right, So still sticking to the South. You know, in the United States of America, this is from Wece. This flesh eating bacteria is spreading across the South. Here is how to stay safe. There's something extra unsettling about the words flesh eating and beach season being in the same sentence, but that's where we are. A bacterium called Vibrio valneficus. Yeah, I'm just gonna call it vv if that comes up again, because I'm definitely not gonna get that right. For twice in a row. It's spreading across five Southern states and it already has been linked to nine deaths this year. It lives in warm, salty, not super clean water, the kind you wade into barefoot while holding a beer. And it's hitting Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and North Carolina the hardest. That's kind of a jump up. It jumped straight over South Carolina and hit North Carolina the heart. Okay, fair enough. The bacteria can enter your body in two ways, and neither is ideal. First is through open wounds, which would include scrapes, cuts, tattoos, piercings, and yep, even razor birn. The second is through the consumption of raw or undercooked sell shellfish, especially oysters. See I gotta m that sucks. I personally love oysters, but just being real with you, I prefer farm raised because you have way less of a chance of getting sick from them, regardless of what month it's in. Yeah, but fair enough. If you were just to go out there and get you some oysters from the Gulf and just start shucking and slurping, you could very well get a flesh eating bacteria. Isn't that fun? That sounds like a particular attack on your vacation plans. That's because it sort of is. According to state health departments, most cases so far have been linked to wound exposure, but several have been tied to the consumption of raw seafood. Either way, once it's in, things can get serious fast. The flesh eating bacteria it's infecting people across the South. The doctors say the symptoms can go from that looks red to getting the ambulance in a matter of hours. High fever, swelling, intense pain, and oozing wounds are In the worst cases, the infection can spread to your bloodstream and trigger blisters, confusion, dangerously low blood pressure, and tissue death, hence the flesh eating nickname.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 1: So that thing can make you go necrotic in a matter of hours. It can start going that way. Oh my goodness. Some people have indeed amputations or I'm sorry, have needed amputation. Others didn't survive. The Florida Department of Hell says blood born infections from Vibrio vulneficus. Ah, I think I got it right twice. What's up, have a fatality rate of about fifty percent. Oh my god. If this gets into your bloodstream, you got a fifty to fifty shot of making it out alive. But even if you make it out alive, you're not gonna be all good. Oh my god. And while this bacteria isn't new, it was first reported in the nineteen seventies, it's showing up more often, especially at ocean temp as ocean temperatures rise. Louisiana typically sees about seven cases a year this summer alone. It's already had seventeen. Cool Florida has had at least thirteen with four deaths. North Carolina has seen nearly sixty Vibrio cases across different strains. Some health departments are blaming the spike on hotter water and hurricane related flooding. Climate change once again is playing Oh Jesus Christ, yep, it's climate change. That's why the bacteria is killing us. Clearly, the best way to protect yourself is, unfortunately also the least fun. Don't go into the water if you've gotten any open skin, no matter how small. Skip the raw oysters unless you know they're from a safe, regulated source like farm raised. And if you're immunocompromised or have liver issues, be especially cautious. Doctor say you're at higher risk of the life threatening complications. No one's saying cancer is Cancel your beach plans. Maybe rethink the combo of open wounds and seafood that you brought out of a cooler. Okay, fair enough, So I did think that was important to bring up. As we are getting into hurricane season, the water is still warm and people are still making beach trips. Just be careful out there, everybody. Now, let's jump into this next conversation. This is from the Washington Examiner. Appeals court says that Trump can cut two billion dollars in foreign aid. They just dropped this information, so let's learn a little bit more about what this means.
Speaker 13: Appeals court ruled that President Donald Trump can withhold nearly two billion dollars in previously approved foreign aid payments. The US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia voted two to one to overturn a lower court's order requiring the administration to pay out the funds. Judge Karen L. Henderson wrote for the majority that the plaintiffs, a coalition of contractors and nonprofit organizations, lacked legal standing to challenge the freeze. The case drew support from a coalition of twenty state attorney generals led by Republican South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson, who argued that the President has brought authority to ensure taxpair dollars serve US interests. Judge Florence Pan issued a lengthy dissent, warning that the majority's decision under minds Congress's power of the purse and enables the executive branch to bypass constitutional safeguards. Shortly after beginning his second term, Trump moved to dismantle USAID and other sources of foreign spending. The administration argued that the freeze was necessary to reevaluate whether the billions of dollars spent annually through USAID advanced US diplomatic and security interests.
Speaker 1: All right, so I got a PBS article. It's going to talk a little bit more about it, to talk about the the deeper analysis of what this could mean. The Appeals Court lets Trump administration suspend or end billions in foreign aid funding. A divided panel of Appeals Court judges ruled Wednesday that the Trump administration can suspend or terminate billions of dollars of congressionally appropriated funding for foreign aid. Two of three judges from the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit concluded that the grant recipient's challenging the freeze to not meet the requirements for a preliminary injunction restoring the flow of money. In January, on the first day of his second term in office, Republican President Donald Trump issued an executive order directing the State Department to shut down USAID. We talked about that already. After groups of grant recipients sued to challenge that order, the US District Judge Emir Ali ordered the administration to release the full amount of foreign assistants that Congress had appropriated for the twenty twenty four budget year. The Appeals Court's majority partially vacated Ali's order. Judges Karen Lacraft Henderson and Gregory Katsas katsas I don't know concluded that the plaintiffs did not have a valid legal basis for the court to hear their claims. The ruling was not on the merits of whether the government unconstitutionally infringed on Congress's spending powers. The parties also dispute the scope of the District Court's remedy, but we need not resolve it because the grantees have failed to satisfy the requirements for the poleminary injunction. In any event, Henderson wrote. Judge Florence pan who we just heard about a second ago, who dissented, said that the Supreme Court has held in no uncertain terms that the President does not have the authority to disobey laws for policy reasons. Yet that is why the majority enables today. Pan wrote the majority opinion thus misconstrues the separation of powers claims brought to the grantees by the grantees, rather misapplies precedent and allows executive branch officials to evade judicial review of constitutionally impermissible actions. The money at the issue, I'm sorry, yeah, The money at issue includes nearly four billion dollars for USAID, USAID, I should say, to spend on global health programs, and more than six billion dollars for HIV and AIDS programs. Trump has portrayed the foreign aid as wasteful spending that does not align with his foreign policy goals. Okay, Henderson was nominated to the Supreme Court by the President George hw and Catnus or cats Sistic rather was nominated by Trump. Pam was nominated by Democrat President Joe Biden. So they just gave the approval, basically saying that he has the go ahead to suspend and cut off these funds. We're gonna we'll see if they want to try to fight this, or if they're gonna try to do something to repeal it, or or you know, I don't know, I don't know, but it seems like that money's not gonna go where it was slated to go. Have you know, I'm not a big fan of USAID, and it's not just because of the and there was that list that Doge found of like all these ridiculous things that USAID was sending the money to. That's not my inherent problem with it. I just see it as inefficient, and it's there's that list. Don't even wrong. But yeah, there's a few things that they were sending money to that was very worthwhile causes and people that really needed the help, and I understand that. But I will say this Trump has a very very different approach to foreign relations than most of the presidents, if not all the presidents that we've had since McKinley. So again, we will see if they try to push this in a more judicial way or if this might even lead to I'm sure somebody's gonna try to make this an impeachable offense for him. But he's still having to fight this whole Epstein situation, which they just tried to get a release of the documents from Maxwell of the conversation, and the court basically said, we're not going to release this because it doesn't hold any kind of real weight behind it, and it wouldn't help any open investigations at this time. So it's again Trump's guy's playful with things that he started, and we'll see how it all shakes out. Now. In other news, still talking about Trump and the White House, the White House has ordered the review of the Smithsonian Museums. And I think this all kind of ties in with the new push to federalize Washington, d C. And I just saw an article that the mayor of d C actually wants to work with Donald Trump, who a Democrat with a Republican. I just want to throw this out bipartisan union where they are wanting to federalize the city itself. And yeah, it all stems from old big balls getting you know, mugged. But the crime rate in d C, yeah, it might be a little bit lower this year than it was last year, but that's not saying much overall. I think the statistics said that Washington, d C is twenty six percent safer now than it was last year. I get that. That's cool. That's a quarter safer. So when you go out in a you know, area that may not be the safest, you have a one in four less shot of being mugged. But again, it's like, is that really the ratio that we should be looking at or why is there so much rough areas in and around our nation's capital? Right? Sam, go ahead, sir, Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 12: I thought that the ec the whole point of BC being the way it is is so that no one state could be quote unquote the capital of the nation, so they couldn't have all the power. So then federalizing that wouldn't that be counterproductive of said government could be?
Speaker 1: However, federalizing it wouldn't make it under the jurisdiction of Maryland or Virginia. If anything, they just wouldn't be That's the thing. It's like, it's seen as its own district, right, which means it has its own legal precedents. It has like six different police departments that are operating within it. Federalizing it basically means that those police departments may or may not be around anymore. But it would be more like the DC National Guard would be the police force of DC.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 12: It could so it's like similar to martial law without it being marshall.
Speaker 1: It's like, basically, if you commit a crime in Washington, d C. It will instantaneously be a federal crime. Oh now. But that's the other thing too. That's seen as a very authoritarian thing. And I understand why knee jerk reaction it would look that way. And I'm not even necessarily saying that it's not. I am saying that I lived in Washington, d C. For four years, and that place is a shithole. Like aside from the National Mall where all the monuments are and all the tourist attractions are, which find good things, and aside from the rich, swanky neighborhoods where all the politicians live and things like that, which fine, you have these areas, pretty much the entire town is an actual shit bag. It's it's horrible and go ahead.
Speaker 12: But didn't they like, uh, deface Lincoln's memorial and tear down Washington and statue and everything.
Speaker 1: I don't know about the defacing of Lincoln. I feel like that would have been.
Speaker 12: But I remember they spray painted over it. It was during the time when they started tearing down all the statues of fus shit U. It was of Albert Pike, which they I think we all can agree, fuck him. And I say what you will about the Confederate generals that that's neither here nor there, but them tearing down the like all statues of our founding fathers, I do have a problem with. And now they're bringing back the Albert Pike statue.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy. I think I do remember hearing about it. It was like a spray painting on Lincoln and it was during the big activism, you know, b LM movement. It makes no sense to me that you would do that to Lincoln. And then they even went and spray painted on Mlk's memorial, which made no sense.
Speaker 12: Like, ah, I'm just a little waising boy from Georgia, but it would be it seems like that that would be the one thing that is the biggest slapper in the face of your own community. Uh m Oka, He's paraded almost as a sight in your community and you're gonna disrespect him.
Speaker 1: It made no sense to me either. I remember it.
Speaker 12: That man is rolling over in his grave like we need some my knees to dig him up and matches trap him down so he don't set his damn coffin on fire.
Speaker 1: It's a crazy But this is the thing. If DC does get federalized, that is not gonna happen again, or if it does, it's going to have a lot more weight behind the punishments that will be doled out to the offending parties. So I don't know. I'm I'm not saying that I am in favor of federalizing DC, and I'm not inherently against it either. I would have to see to what level that's really gonna play out to the local population, But we could talk about that later on. For now, Like I said, the White House has ordered the review of the Smith's Soan museums. The reasons why are actually kind of funny. Let's listen.
Speaker 14: In coming to your favorite Smithsonian museums. The White House will be reviewing material in some of the museums to make sure that they align with the President's view of history.
Speaker 5: There's forth.
Speaker 7: Jessica Albert explains what we know about the President's audit of these Smithsonian museums. She also spoke with museum visitors about the changes. We talk to people outside some of these museums that will be reviewed by the White House. Many of them express concerns that key pieces of history could be erased.
Speaker 3: The ridiculousness of it evades description. History is history, and you can't change it to fit the.
Speaker 1: The plan of somebody who doesn't know what's going on.
Speaker 7: In a letter addressed to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, the White House laid out a plan that could alter several Smithsonian museums content and these eight museums will be reviewed by the White House to make sure it fits with the President's vision ahead of the country's two hundred and fiftieth birthday celebration. Next.
Speaker 1: All right, real quick, I did want to read which of these eight museums, because the Smithsonian has tons of museums for the record, all over DC. The eight in question the National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Natural History, the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the National Museum of the American Indian One of my favorite museums in DC, I might add the place is badass. The National Air and Space Museum, my other one of my other favorite museums, The Smithsonian American Art Museum, the National Oh dang it, the captions are on on that one. National Portrait Gallery, and the Hershorn Museum of Sculpture. Oh wow, her Shorn Museum and Sculpture garden. Okay, fair enough, let's continue cheer.
Speaker 7: The letter says, quote. This initiative aims to ensure alignment with the President's directive to celebrate American exceptionalism, remove divisive or partisan narratives, and restore confidence in our shared cultural institutions. One of the museums on the list is the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Speaker 15: That oswe come before the changes.
Speaker 13: If they do, hopefully they don't.
Speaker 1: If the changes do occur, that's one give you one last chance to go ahere.
Speaker 7: The McGinnis family from Pennsylvania brought their grandson to the National Museum of the American Indian History.
Speaker 3: Shouldent follow an agenda. What happens happens, and there are a lot of things that happened that are we're.
Speaker 15: Not proud of.
Speaker 7: This isn't the first time the President has targeted the Smithsonian Museums. In March, he signed the Restoring Truth and Sanity to American History Executive Order, which called for the removal of quote improper ideology from the Smithsonian Museums and National Zoo. News Force spoke with a curator at the Air and Space Museum, another museum on the list, sent out by the White House. He told us he just learned of the plan to do a review the curators.
Speaker 16: We are historians first, and we care deeply about just, you know, wanting to tell stories as accurately as possible in a way that is accessible for all Americans to come see.
Speaker 7: The Smithsonian also put out a statement. It says the Smithsonian's work is grounded in a deep commitment to scholarly excellence, rigorous research, and the accurate, factual presentation of history. We are reviewing the letter with this commitment in mind, and will continue to collaborate constructively with the White House, Congress and our governing Board of Regents. According to the letter from the White House, the museums have thirty days to turn over information about their current exhibits, and about one hundred and twenty days the museums should begin implementing quote content corrections where necessary in the district. Jessica Albert News.
Speaker 1: Four content corrections. That's very interesting phrasing, and like I said, it's it's kind of crazy that. And I understand that history, some would say, is all I agreed upon. And I understand that from time to time we have a certain opinion of history that we get more information on later that kind of rewrites what we once knew about history. This happens all the time. It really does not being said, that is not what is in this conversation here. I actually had the letter pulled up on the White House dot gov Briefing Statement Letter to the Smithsonian International Review of Smithsonian Exhibits and material I said, Aaron International, I'm internal. Excuse me, so it's going to be an internal audit of the Smithsonian exhibits and materials. Now, let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: It says, Dear Secretary Bunch, we wish to begin, Actually is Bunch the last name? Yeah, the honorable Lonnie G. Bunch, the third, Dear Secretary Bunch. We wish to begin by expressing our appreciation for the brief tour you gave us recently of the National Museum of American History and the National Museum of the African American History and Culture, and by acknowledging your work on behalf of the Smithsonian Institution, as well as the Institution's role in shaping public understanding of the American history and culture. We are completely aligned with your statement that the Smithsonian is a welcome welcoming place of knowledge and discovery for all Americans. We are grateful that you and the Board of Regents have expressed your commitment to the non partisan educational mission of this great institution. As we prepare to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our nation's founding, it is more important than ever that our national museums reflect the unity, progress, and enduring values that define the American history. In this spirit, in accordance with Executive Order one four two five three, this is the restoring truth and sanity to American history, we will be leading a comprehensive internal review of selected Smithsonian museums and exhibit exhibitions. This initiative aims to ensure alignment with the President's directive to celebrate American exceptionalism, remove divisive or partisan narratives, and restore confidence in our shared cultural institutions. Okay, to some of the museums in question, I don't think that's going to be an issue whatsoever. To others, I could see some potential upheaval. I'm just gonna throw that out, but we shall see. This review is a constructive and collaborative effort, one rooted in respect for the Smithsonian's vital mission and its extraordinary contributions. Our goal is not to interfere with the day to day operations of curators or staff, but rather to support a broader vision of excellence that highlights historically accurate, uplifting and inclusive portrayals of America's heritage. That's a great sentiment, it really is. However, not all of American history has been uplifting or inclusive. Just gonna make sure that we're keeping it all one hundred here, but all right, continuing, it says, the review will focus on several key areas. Number one, public facing content A review of exhibition text, wall dick ditict, didactics, didactics rather excuse me? Websites, educational materials, and digital and social media content to assess tone, historical framing, and alignment with American ideals okay. Number two the curator process. The curatorial process a series of interviews with curators and senior staff to better understand the selection process, exhibition approval workflows, and any frameworks currently guiding exhibition content. Okay. Exhibition planning a review of current and few your exhibitions, with particular attention to those planned for the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Of course, Number four Collection use evaluating excuse me an evaluation of how existing materials and collections are being used or could be used to highlight American achievement and progress, including whether the Smithsonian can make better use of certain materials by digitizing or conveying to other institutions. All right. Number five Narrative Standards the development of consistent curatorial guidelines that reflect the Smithsonian's original mission. Going on, It says, initially our review will focus on the following museum's. Additional museums will be reviewed in phase two. This is a multi phase plan. Well, all right, let's see where we're talking about here. I read this list earlier, but let's re review it, shall we? The National Museum of American History, the National Museum of Natural History, the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the National Museum of the American Indian the National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Art Excusing a Smithsonian American Art Museum, National Portrait Gallery, and the Hershore Museum and Sculpture Garden. So of these, let's see one, two, three, four, possibly five, I think possibly five out of these eight will have some very drastic changes made because they don't fit into this whole inclusivity narrative that is trying to be portrayed at this moment, and we'll see, we'll see how they try to rewrite history this time materials request to initiate this process, We respectfully request that each of the museums listed above designate a primary point of contact and provide the following materials to our team, including for online content number one, two hundred and fiftieth Anniversary programming number two, current exhibition content number three, Traveling and Upcoming exhibitions number four, Internal guidelines and Governance number five, Index the permanent collection or index of the permanent collection, Number six, Educational materials number seven, Digital Presence number eight, External Partnerships number nine, Grant related documentation, and number ten Surveys and other evaluations of visitor experience. So we talk about the timeline a little bit here. Within thirty days of receipt of this letter, we anticipate that each museum will submit all requests of materials outlined in the first four bullet points above, including current exhibition descriptions, draft plans for upcoming shows, America's two to fifty programming materials and internal guidelines using the Exhibition Development Review of america two hundred and fifty exhibition and program planning, and connect with curators and staff about their specific proposals. A staff liaison from each museum will be designated to serve as the primary point of contact, and our team will begin on site observational visits, conducting walkthroughs of current exhibitions to document themes, visitor experience, and visual messaging. They have another timeline for within seventy five days, museums are asked to submit the remaining requested documentation. Our team will begin scheduling and conducting voluntary interviews with curators and senior staff. It is a voluntary interview, but okay, and each museum should finalize and submit its updated plan to commemorate America's two fiftieth within one hundred and twenty days. Museums should begin implementing content corrections where necessary, replacing divisive or ideologically driven language with unifying, historically accurate, and constructive descriptions across placards, walled dedications, digital displays, and other public facing materials. If all the benchmarks are met on schedule. We anticipate completing our review and preparing for a final report for your review in early twenty twenty six. This report will include museums specific assessments and institutional trends, and constructive recommendations for future exhibit exhibition strategy. We view this process as a collaborative and forward looking opportunity, one that empowers museum staff to embrace revitalizing curatorial visions rooted in the strength, breadth, and achievements of the American story. By focusing on Americanism, the people, principles, and progress that define our nation, we can work together to renew Smithsonian's role as the world's leading museum institution. All right, and they list a bunch of names of thanks and things. Okay, remember how I said that federalizing DC kind of seemed like in a certain light and authoritarian move. You know, this is where we kind of take that next uptick. And again, it may not play out that way. It might be that they just want to make sure that a lot of these exhibits have a you know, for instance, in the National Museum of the African Americans. Right, So is it possible that they're going to keep up all of the somewhat the exhibitions or exhibits I should say that may not cast ante bellum America in the best light. Is it possible to keep those up? But then they also want to make sure that they show some patriotic things as well as far as like how far we've come as a nation since our beginning. Okay, that's not inherently a bad idea. Is it also possible that they are about to try and rewrite and, for lack of better words, whitewash a lot of this history. There is a possibility of that. Yeah, So anyway, we will see what happens with the Smithsonian Museums in the upcoming days. Real quick, We're not going to spend too much time on this one, but we did need to bring this up. An investigation is begun. The US Steel Plant is ready to get to the bottom of the explosion. For anybody who did not hear about this, a US steel plant blew up and there were some deaths and they have a current investigation to see what exactly happened. If you haven't heard about it yet, let's hear some from CBS Pittsburgh.
Speaker 16: Wes Steele continues to promise to pinpoint what happened at its Clairton plant on Monday to cause the explosion that killed two workers, injured ten more, and spread fear throughout the mand Valley. The company's president and CEO said again today they're committed to understanding exactly what happened and will fully cooperate with all investigations. As slatest statement comes as federal investigators make their way to Clareton.
Speaker 17: Of the ten workers who were injured, five remain in the hospital. They range in age from twenty seven to seventy four. As of yesterday, all were in critical but stable condition. The five other injured victims were released Monday. As for the two men killed, one has been identified as Timothy Quinn. The family of the other is asking that his name not be made public. From Governor Shapiro on down, everyone wants to answers as to what caused the explosion.
Speaker 16: Congresswoman Summerly represents Clareton in Washington. Chris Hoffman asks her what the investigation will look like.
Speaker 5: Congresswomanly is appreciative if you as steal's efforts to get to the bottom of this. She says, ultimately this can never happen again, and we need to make sure people that do work in these facilities, whether here and Claron or in other parts of the Mont Valley, are in a safe environment. You as Steel committed to a transparent process that it says we'll get answers about the blast. Congresswoman Lee says it's up to leaders and agencies to hold them to that promise so.
Speaker 18: That we can get the full truth of not just what happened, how it happened, and what do we do now, what needs to be done to make sure that something like this never happens again.
Speaker 5: According to the pH twelve representative, OSHA and the EPA will be involveda have federal regulation and investigative power.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: Lee didn't have a timeline for when more details could come out. She says some of the investigation will need to be talking with the people who were there, some of whom are still recovering.
Speaker 18: Those are some of the folks who will be able to talk more, you know, in detail about maybe what happened in real time, what they saw themselves.
Speaker 5: The US Chemical Safety Board also has a team at the plan investigating. They are in an independent agency that doesn't issue citations are fines, but gives recommendations to companies and groups like OSHA.
Speaker 1: Basically, today we were just able to see the initial debris field. Is the site still being made safe to allow further engine? Real quick? That dude looked like a safetymand didn't he tell me that dude does not look like safety is his life. I'm just saying, uh, anyway, moving on to allow further engine.
Speaker 5: Our newsroom has been contacted by several steel workers, CLEM and US Steel maintenance work is reactive and not preventative, and it may have played a role in this explosion. US Steel CEO David Burrett had this response.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked and outraged at that statement.
Speaker 16: I find it unbelievable because of safety being in our DNA.
Speaker 1: We take this extraordinarily seriously.
Speaker 5: Congressoman Lie says, whether it be US Steel or Nipon, there must be a commitment and investments to fix whatever issue caused the blast and make all mills safer.
Speaker 18: And if there's no accountability, then we can't, you know, we can't say for sure that safety is in a DNA.
Speaker 5: Her office is working on getting in contact with Ni Pond, who has put out a statement saying it's committed to give all the resources needed to heal from this tragedy.
Speaker 1: All right, So that will just about do it as far as the the American home front conversation is concerned. Now, let's shift over to wildfires that are going rampant in Europe as we speak. Lest listen, it is of em Reuters.
Speaker 19: Wildfires, fanned by a heat wave and strong winds continued to rage across southern Europe on Wednesday, as houses, farms and factories were burned and thousands of residents and tourists were evacuated. A wildfire near the city of Patras in western Greece prompted the evacuation of at least twenty five settlements, with the fires setting alight a cement factory and sweeping through olive groves and forests. On the Greek islands of Chios in the east and Caphalonia in the west, both popular with tourists, authorities told people to move to safety as fires spread. In Spain, a volunteer firefighter died from severe burns fighting fire in the Central Castile and Leon region. Firefighters hosed down blazing houses and warehouses and villages, where more than five thousand people were evacuated. The country's state weather agency almost all of the country was at extreme or very high risk of fire. Spain's environment minister said many fires were suspected to be intentionally caused, but added it was too early to say how many. In Albania, several major wildfires are burning across the country. In the southern city of Dalvina, evacuees returned to their homes, but authorities remained vigilant. Attempts to douse the fires have been hampered by a heat wave across large parts of the continent. Spain was in its tenth day of soaring heat that peaked on Tuesday, with temperatures as high as one hundred and thirteen degrees fahrenheit. Conditions are expected to last till Monday, making it one of the longest on record.
Speaker 1: Okay, Greece, Spain, Albania. Well, let's learn a little bit more about this here. This is from CNBC. Temperature records smashed as extreme heat wildfires grip parts of Europe. The extreme heat, like I said, there is the key points. Excuse me, extreme heat is smash temperatures like you said? Weather forecaster Media or Media France said it has an update that unprecedented maximum temperatures, often twelve degrees above normal levels, were set earlier in the week. Scientists have warmed, of course, that climate change is exacerbating the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events. Let's learn a little bit more about this here. Record breaking heat has swept across Europe in recent days, pushing temperatures well beyond four a degree celsius, which is one hundred and four degrees fahrenheit in some areas, and fuelling regional wildfires. In France, temperature records were obliterated in the Bordeaux region, Saint Emilio, Saint Girons, Anguilem and Bergerac Bergiaq. It's been quite a while since I tried to pronounce French words. On Monday afternoon, according to an update from the Weather forecaster, often remarkable, even unprecedented maximum temperatures, often twelve degrees above normal levels, were reached this Monday. The FORECASTU said that a heat wave is in the southwest has seen spreading to the center, east and northeast of the country through Tuesday and Wednesday. In Croatia, temperatures climbed to thirty nine point five degrees celsius. In the Adriatic coastal city of Sibonik, and thirty eight point nine in the popular tourist deaf destination of Dubravinnik, the Brovnik. Excuse me. The temperature records come as scientists warren climate change is exacerbating the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events. The burning of fossil fuels such as coal and gas is the chief driver of the climate crisis. There's okay. Europe is meanwhile known to be warming faster than any other continent, at twice the speed of the global average since the nineteen eighties, according to the EU's Copernicus climate change service. The UU excuse me. The EU's climate monitor has attributed this trend to changing weather patterns, reducing reduced air pollution, and the region's geography, noting that part of Europe extend into the Arctic, the fastest warming region on Earth. In Spain, firefighters largely contained a blaze that broke out near the capital of Madrid on Monday evening. Nearly six thousand people were evacuated from their homes in the northern, central and southern Spain this week as wildfires raged amid a heat wave predicted to push temperatures up to around forty four degrees celsius in some parts of the southern European country. Wildfires have also been reported in Portugal, Croatia, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Montenegro and the UK in recent days. It's not just Europe suffering from the record heat, with temperature records also broken in Canada of late temperatures Meanwhile, soored above fifty degrees celsius in Iraq, plunging the country into darkness on Monday during a nationwide power outage. So the heat is actually also affecting the power grid in some of these places. But that is unprecedented that many countries, all spread out across Europe. It's not like these are all neighboring countries. Some of them are, but the UK, Portugal, Croatia, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, the UK, Spain. This is crazy. And yes, of course, hotter temperatures make for easier combustibles. I understand that one hundred percent. But my god, again, that is unprecedented. And I'm not saying that there is obviously a nefarious actor or arsonists at play here, but I would like to see what the investigation yields as far as how all these fires started. We will see what these things turn up if they actually do an investigation on it. Now. Sticking onto the European conversation, Zelensky and European leaders to hold a call with Trump ahead of the Putin summit. This is from the BBC. I should add Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky is joining European leaders and talks need at aimed excuse me at increasing pressure on the US President to side with Ukraine during Friday's summit with his Russian counterpart in Alaska. In an online call with Trump on Wednesday, the leaders are expected to reiterate that no decision should be taken without Ukraine, including changing its borders by force. Trump has said any peace deal would involve some swapping of territories quote unquote, and it is believed that Putin's demands is that Kiev surrenders the parts of eastern Donbas area that it still controls on Tuesdays. Lensky said such a concession could be used as a springboard for future attacks by Russia. Russia launched a full scale invasion in February twenty twenty two. A Russian summer offensive has been progressing, with troops making a sudden thrust near the eastern town of Do Dobro Pilia, all right, and advancing ten kilometers or six miles in a short period of time. But they really, yeah, they did that, but they haven't really taken much ground more than that as of this moment. Some but it's a very very slow grind. But yes, they are still gaining ground one hundred percent. While downplaying Russia's advance, Zelensky said it was clear to us that Moscow's objective was to create a certain information space before Putin meets Trump, that Russia is moving forward, advancing while Ukraine is losing. Okay, that's not a certain information space. The math is the math. I'm just gonna throw that out, but all right. No official details have emerged on what demands Putin could make when he meets with Trump in Anchorage on Friday. However, there has been concern among Ukraine's European allies about the possibility of Trump agreeing to Putin's demands. German Chancellor Merz has called Wednesday's meeting, and Zelenski is traveling to Berlin to join him for the video call with other European leaders, including the UK Prime Minister Starmer. Before the call Trump, Zelensky has previously insisted that Ukrainians would not quote unquote gift their land to the occupier, and pointed to the country's constitution, which requires a referendum before a change in its territory. Last week, Trump said there would be quote some swapping of territories to the betterment of both quote Russia and Ukraine, sparking concerns in Kiev and across Europe that Moscow could be allowed to redraw Ukraine's border by force. Russia currently controls just under twenty percent of Ukrainian territory. The dun Boss is made up of the eastern regions of the Luhansk and Dnesk has been partially or partly rather occupied by Russia since twenty fourteen. I think with that they mean the U Crimea. Moscow now holds almost all of Luhansk and about seventy percent of Dunesk. But speaking to reporters on Tuesdays, Zelensky reaffirmed that Ukraine would reject any proposal to leave the donbas So this is a current map of the occupied territory of eastern Ukraine. Like they said, they have all of thelu Hansk, they have seventy percent of Dunesque, They've had Crimea since twenty fourteen. They are still pushing into the Khirsan region, but it's not as heavy of a push as it is to the northern region, and Zaparizia still has fighting going on there. But again, the Dunesku seems to be where the majority of the Ford advance is taking place as of this moment. The White House on Tuesday said that Alaska talks would be a quote unquote listening exercise for Trump, and added having him and Putin sit down in the same room would give the US President the best indication on how to end this war. It follows Trump describing the summit as a feel out meeting on Monday, seeming to tone down expectations that Friday's meeting could bring Ukraine and Russia closer to peace. Yeah, I don't believe it's gonna at all. As a matter of fact, when he announced the summit last week, Trump's sounded positive that the meeting could result in concrete steps towards peace. He's very sure of that, but he's very sure of pretty much everything he says, So take that with a grain of salt. I think in my gut instinct really tells me that we have a shot at it, he said. The Ukrainian leader has previously said any agreement without Kiev's involvement would amount to dead decisions. That's fair, and Zelensky is very pissed about this. I understand that he's basically saying, like, Yo, if you're gonna call this meeting with Putin, why is Ukraine not also being invited to the meeting. Meanwhile, the Trump is like, listen, man, I've got to get him alone to talk to him about some things. We're trying to figure out what's gonna be best for all parties. You'll be at the next one. I've had multiple meetings with you, and the last time you came to my house and had a conversation with me, you got a little temper tantrum on international television. So I'm gonna go meet with old lad real quick and we're gonna have a convo. I'll let you know how things shake out, Tony, I see you unmuted brother way in Yeah.
Speaker 15: Back in twenty fourteen, Crimea succeeded very effectively, but Luganskantnik also attempted to their legislators didn't recognize the new the departure of Yanikovic, and they tried to secede, and they held referenda on it too. But in kind of the short term, the don Bas Republics ended up only being like maybe twenty percent of those territories way in the east, and Ukraine was trying to conquer them, and that's kind of what really set off the war in twenty twenty two, because Kiev was about ready to finish the job and take back these kind of breakaway regions within the breakaway province that was like the easternmost twenty or thirty percent of them. So yeah, that is different, a little different from Crimea. But now, as we've seen for the last three years, Putin has gotten uh you know, pretty much most of both of those territories and more so, and he's not giving them up and it's time to probably just recognize that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I means he's not very popular in his country as of this moment, Putinsky. Yeah, I mean, there's an argument to say that Putin is also not very well liked in his country as of this moment, because he told his people this was going to be a two week military operation and we're on year three of it. Even if people supported what the mission was about. That's that's not a good look. Right. It's the same thing if America was to get involved in, you know, some sort of a peacekeeping operation via the UN, and we told the American people that, oh, we're only going to be there for a month, and we ended up staying for ten years. Like that's that is not a good look, regardless of what the initial motives were. Yeah.
Speaker 15: I think there was some overconfidence on both sides, to be sure. Yeah, but I think Putin is still popular enough.
Speaker 1: And if you felt like he's about to lose his seat of power by any means, it's not to that level, no way.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And he has been re elected since the war started, if you believe the election results, which a lot of people in the West don't. But I believe him, and I think opinion polls confirm that he is popular enough. He's least popular with younger and male voters. He's more popular with older and female voters.
Speaker 1: Wait, wasn't his opponent in that election arrested shortly after the election?
Speaker 15: You know, I forget might have been even been before I don't even remember what those guys' names were. I would have been able to remember if this was last year, but I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Same. Same. And then I also get that mixed up with the leader of the Wagner group that tried to throw a coup, and I know it's not the same.
Speaker 15: You have guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't Pregosion that he was going up against in the election. It was somebody that was not a member of his cabinet, but like somebody who was seen in years prior to as a homie of his. And then you know, when they went up for the election, it was, oh, it's no big deal, this is his friend. Putin's obviously gonna win and it's gonna be no big deal. Then you hear that your boy was bagged and tagged, and it's like, oh, well, all right, then this is an ursha, you know, and these kinds of things.
Speaker 15: But anyway, Yeah, I don't have much more to say on that. How many more stories you got?
Speaker 1: Just a few, But I mean we can go longer than two hours this evening. I have no issue with it. So if you got something, dude, do you want to jump in? Now we're jumping towards the end.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'd like to jump in now, Okay.
Speaker 1: Go for it. The next article I was going to read is talking about the conversation with Trump and Putin, but by all means, brother, jump in.
Speaker 15: Okay. This has to do with Israel and Gaza, which I don't think we've talked about in a little while.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I.
Speaker 15: Wish Royce were still here, but I guess it's not. He said he was passing out and good bye, good night and Royce. But I wanted to bring up a guy who many listeners have probably heard of. His name is Anthony Aguie lar He's gone on Tucker Carlson twice, He's been interviewed by the BBC, He's been interviewed by a host of other podcasts hosts that I have listened to. And to give you some background on him, he was working for a security contractor called ug Solutions. I forget what that stands for, but they're like PMC a little bit, and they were working for GHF, another three letter acronym, and GHF stands for Godza Humanitarian Foundation, and Godza Humanitarian Foundation kind of replaces the U n unruh. If you've ever heard of them. It's U n r W, a un Relief Work Association or something. I actually forget what it stands for. But that was the organization that was bringing lots of food into Gaza until about March of this year when they were banned and Gaza was put under a blockade, and then food couldn't get in there anymore until this GHF Foundation started. And okay, this guy Anthony Aguilar, let's let's play a little bit of one of his Tucker interviews. I got it going right now. I hope that you can hear it.
Speaker 1: I have it pulled up. You posted in the chat. Huh, Tony, can you hear it? I can't guess, but I have it pulled up on my screen. It's the it's twelve minutes long. Is this the one you post in the chat?
Speaker 15: Yeah, let's just do like the first minute of it and then I'll keep talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so good everybody watching this on Patreon at Cajun night. You're gonna be able to see this for everybody who is just listening to it. Look, you're gonna want to be a part of this. Come join us a Patreon for this. All right, let's check it out.
Speaker 6: I witnessed Palestinian parents, men and mothers and fathers carrying their dead children in their arms, skeletons. I witness that, I've witnessed people that have come on to the sites that you can see that they are just completely emaciated and starving.
Speaker 15: That's not fake.
Speaker 6: So if if the deniers want to think that we got Stanley Kubrick to go into Gaza and take a bunch of crisis actors and shoot a film on, you know, to fake this starvation, but it's real and people are dying.
Speaker 1: At this point right now.
Speaker 6: Because we the United States, the Gaza Humanitarian Fund put up our hand and said we'll do it. The starvation at this point has gotten worse than it was before because the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation's process is leading to that starvation because it's not delivering enough aid, not even nearly enough, not even nearly to be to be a fraction of enough.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like.
Speaker 6: Someone handed bb net NYAFU a list of the violations of the Djeva Convention, but but like took the took the numbers off of it, and he's just checking them off, like displacing the population.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do that.
Speaker 6: It's like Okay, well that that's a war crime. Firing at the civilians to control the population. Okay, well, targeting civilians with lethal amunition to control the population, verbatim is a war crime. So you got that one.
Speaker 15: Check what next?
Speaker 1: What do you got next?
Speaker 6: We're gonna build the humanitarian distribution sites in the middle of combat zones. Oh shit, there's there's protocol three.
Speaker 13: Got it?
Speaker 6: You just did that one.
Speaker 1: What's next? Oh?
Speaker 6: How about we, uh we label the entire society as as got as hamas and kill them all. Wow, bingo, you just got a straight across, because now you just made another war crime statement. Because the Geneva conjaventions pecimply hibbits the classification of an entire population as the enemy based on the actions of a few is hamas all.
Speaker 1: Of all of Gaza.
Speaker 6: No, no, of course it's not. Are we treating them like they're all Hamas? Yes, we are. Another war crime. So when I bring up these points about this.
Speaker 15: Not this content here, and yeah, I don't want to take up all of everyone's time, But he's he repeats the same thing in a number of different places, and so he went on Tucker once I think July thirty first or August first, and then a few days later, all of a sudden, and Tucker warned them, there's going to be a lot of attacks on you. So a day or two later, and I don't think this is just useless Twitter drama, but a bunch of mugshots of him were posted alleging that he beat up his wife and was guilty of you know, elie, possession of a firearm and all kinds of stuff. And then what I'm sharing here for people who can't view it is that lady on Twitter who goes by handled Village Crazy Lady. She pretty thoroughly debunked that, and I don't use the word debunked lightly, but she was kind of lucky that she's got like a paralegal background, and she also lived in North Carolina where he lived, and she looked at the mugshot and the arrest record and said it just doesn't look right. The docket number actually maps to somebody else, and his date of birth, which is listed on the mugshot, is not the procedure that the way they do things, they will give the age in years like forty something years old, but they don't post birth dates. And yeah, Duke Lane doesn't exist. And there's you know, all kinds of other reasons that this was obviously a fabricated attack on him, and he's been coming under lots of attacks. This one's obviously very illegitimate. One of the slightly more legitimate attacks on him is that he seems to be a disgruntled employee. So he was a contractor. They didn't want to renew his contract. He was having a hard time getting along with people, and he told them, if if you don't renew my contract, I'm going to go public with all this stuff, and he did so. This is making Gaza Humanitarian Foundation look bad. It's because he's got lots of stories about how starving people are coming and just getting a shot at and something like a hundred of them will die per day at least, you know, that's the report I've seen. He had kind of a unique position where he got to travel between four different sites there. Three of them are way down in the southern end of Gaza, and the fourth one is right in the middle in the net Serene Corridor. So most people throughout Gaza don't really have easy access to any of these places, and they have to walk a long long distance to get there, and it's just a terrible situation because they get there, there's no signs telling them where to go. The only way they figure out where to go is that American and Israeli contractors shoot it to the ground or over their head, and you know, some of those bullets hit them. And so he's got lots of stories. One of his stories is about a boy named Emir who comes up to thank him for the food and then he sees a mirror running off and then in a group that gets fired on, Amir gets killed. I'm sure most people, many people have probably heard that story. As for the whole disgruntled employee allegation, I guess this comes down to the idea of loyalty in a military situation, because I think you would agree, Jacob, the military the highest virtue for somebody in the military is loyalty and obedience, not so much you know, doing the right thing based on what a priest might tell you. What do you think about that.
Speaker 1: There's levels to that, but I would say yes, loyalty and instant obedience to orders are two of the highest qualities. But just so we're clear here, he wasn't there for military as far as like uniformed military purposes. He was there for a as a private contractor correct, Yeah, he was, so then his loyalty goes to the almighty dollar.
Speaker 15: Yeah, maybe to his employer. But I think the people in organizations like this have a pretty military like mindset where they follow orders and it's a messy world and you do the best you can and you're not going to be judged based on the morality of your actions. Your superiors are responsible and for making those decisions. So I think his disloyalty, you know, if you can call it that, there's a big turn off to people who are especially are more ideologically aligned with Israel. But this brings so I don't know, maybe this is a larger issue, But in the twentieth century, I feel like Nuremberg tried to the Nuremberg Trials tried to rewrite the whole idea of what you should do as a soldier if you're commanded to do something bad, because the previous mindset was you just obey orders, and the mindset after that is actually a lot murkier, where yeah, maybe you can obey the orders, but you know, will you be able to use that as a defense if people want to judge you for it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm with you on that front. But also PMCs do not operate under the Geneva Convention or the Nuremberg trials. So and there's levels to the private military contractor game, and I understand that as well. But like for instance, Benghazi, right, if you ever watched the movie associated with it, the contractors that were there to guard the CIA Liaison office, even though everybody in that building was American, and the dudes that were a part of the PMC were American contractors, and yeah, all of them were former military, they were not military at that time. They were ordered to not go help the embassy, and they said, fuck you were doing it anyway, right, So like good things, but that also broke their contract. And if something would have happened to them and they would have gotten taken prisoner, no one's coming to get them because PMCs they don't operate that way. And if a private military contractor wants to take a prisoner and do medieval torture on them to get some sort of information, Geneva Conventions not at play here. Neither is the Nuremberg neither is any other kind of international officiating body. Because they're out there for private contracting purposes. So I don't know Aguilar's entire backstory. I don't know which contractor he worked for. I know dudes personally, who and hell I even almost worked for a PMC at one point in time. I was I was almost picked up by Constellis and I was almost picked up by Oh Hill. What was the other one? Not bare Claw. I'm thinking I'm hunger. I'm thinking of bear clothes. I forget what the name of it was, but there was two PMCs No no, no, no, no Blackwater that went by the wayside after the Blackwater Bridge incident. It then became Triple Canopy, and then it got sold and it's some other subsidiary. Now it's a new name, but basically the same rank and file structure of it all. God, I cannot remember the other PMC that I was about to work for, but damn it anyway. But a lot of my buddies that went worked for them in Afghanistan and in active war zones. They were fully aware of what the score was, and that's why they were getting paid up to five or six times what these soldiers were getting paid out there, because the soldiers if something happens to them, the US Government's coming to get them. PMCs. If something happens to you, you are up Shit's creek, brother, and I hope you make it back to the state to one piece, because that's just the way it goes now. Humanitarian PMCs, I don't know, they're like their mo right, I don't know what they're stane and operating procedure is. I know that the same rules or lack of rules still applies to them, but I don't know what the difference is as far as their like you would say, their orders or their mission set. Usually PMCs are hired to protect the assets of their their contract, right, So if you are hired to guard this road, it's not against this group or against that group. You're hired to make sure that no one destroys this road or impedes traffic beyond a reasonable point. And like whether that's your guys, their guys, whatever, that's your job and you're just literally punching a clock. There's no feelings or morality associated with it. So I don't know. I don't know how that's going down as far as Gods is concerned. But PMCs kind of operate their their mercenaries for lack of better words, and morality very rarely plays in with mercenaries.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and these guys were proud, probably largely hired precisely because they were trusted to keep their mouths shut. And this is one guy. I don't know how many coworkers he has, but he's had a couple other make statements that are very critical of the of the aid process and how these people are not really getting fed, but they are getting shot at and they are getting killed. But the other people have done it anonymously. He's the only one who puts his name on it. And he's saying that after this is over, or maybe not even after it's over, maybe just months from now, more of these guys are going to come forward and say they've seen the same thing. And he's alleging the UNRA did a better job at distributing food, but GHF seems like it's specifically set up to get as many of them killed as possible. He points out lots of things like they don't provide any water. Most of the food they're providing his dry rice and lentils and stuff and stuff you've got to boil in water, and God has no water, no fresh water. It's got salt water but no fresh water. So they are just really screwed there.
Speaker 1: That is, that's horrible, Sam, your hands raised, brother, what you got?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I was wondering, what was the Blackwater bridge thing?
Speaker 15: Something Falujah?
Speaker 1: Uh? All right, so how can I The Blackwater Bridge incident was where you had some Blackwater operators that were American by birth, but where they were operating, they were not flying an American flag that got into a little bit of a scuffle with the local for lack of better words, let's call them a terrorist organization. They lost the fight, and their bodies were drugged through the streets and hung off of a bridge with nooses, with signs around their necks. You know, the typical debt to America, death to the infidels, you know that old that old stick and uh. These pictures made their way all over the internet. You could look up right now videos and documentary about the Blackwater Bridge incident. Blackwater, up until that point was the largest and most successful American PMC operating in the world. That one incident pretty much negated that, and they took such a hit that they ended up having to sell and rebrand the company. To another group, which is when it became triple canopy.
Speaker 12: Wait, is that why the snipers started dipping his bullets in the spam?
Speaker 1: No, that sniper was an American sniper, so PMC they could dip it. Huh.
Speaker 12: I was talking about why he was doing that because, Hey, a fellow American was killed and humiliated like that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there's been a few cases of American soldiers and marines that you know, were killed and their bodies were mutilated and all these things, But these were servicemen PMCs. You could do psych warfare all you want. It's not gonna like help your mis set. But yeah, if you want to dip your your bullets and spam to make sure that the hodgies will you go to hell when they die, then like you could totally do that. There's no Geneva convention that these guys answer to. See.
Speaker 12: That's the thing and the way I say, if an insurgency doesn't follow the Geneva conventions, why should we? I feel like, how government can tell us where to fight, when to fight, they should not tell us how to fight.
Speaker 1: So the problem is, whenever you declare total war on a group of people, the blowback on that years after the fact is typically the Uh, the ends don't justify the means, right, So you want to try to leave the area better than when you got there. When it's all said and done, you want to leave the area a little freer, uh, not as oppressed, you know, because the bad guys that you're killing, you want to be the bad guys, like the actual bad guys over this area where the women and children are scared of these people in the are they are a hindrance to a happy life being lived in this area. Whenever you go into the mindset of a total war kind of situation, that usually goes by the wayside. And that's how we get some of these situations like in Vietnam where you had helicopter pilots and door gunners that were just mowing down groups of women and children because well, how do we know they weren't VC And it's like, no, no, no, that's that's not the way at least that's not the way that America wants to do business. We want to be seen as the golden standard of how to operate in a war zone, not not the other way around. Although I think there's a time and place for everything I mean, if the insurgency is going to use dirty tactics, I am all in favor of meeting that fire with fire. But the problem is that if we don't maintain the standard, then who's going.
Speaker 15: To I PREGI that goes along with this this whole title of this podcast Cajun knight, and being a knight means that you have a concept of honor and chivalry, and part of that's, you know, just pr and part of that's trying to do the right thing. But pr is really important in war, and you don't want to cross lines that you'll be judged negatively for and that'll give the enemy an excuse to cross lines too. So in World War Two in Europe, luckily nobody crossed the line of using chemical weapons, even though both sides had stockpiles of them, and both sides were just waiting for the other side to cross that line first, and somehow it never happened. So we got lucky there.
Speaker 1: Saying with the flamethrower situation, right, that's why they stopped using flamethrowers, because you would use them to clear out a pillbox or a machine gun. Nest okay, dope, that's what they were designed to do. But once these guys came out on fire, they wouldn't shoot them. They would let them slowly burn to death. That's that goes against the standard of us trying to show the world that we're the good guys. If we had cameras and satellite TVs back in those days, and the American public, we're seeing that our American boys, these guys that were drafted from all over the country were doing this animalistic and heinous shit to the enemy, even if yes, they were Nazis. I understand that, I get it, But it's about the optics. It's about what gets seen by the public and what these guys are going to be viewed as when they get home. That's why you had these guys coming home from Vietnam getting spit on and called baby killers. Right. It wasn't even like they were actually trying to do that. There were some cases where they were doing some heinous shit and should have been shit on. But the ninety nine point nine percent of US service members that went to Vietnam because they were drafted and then came home did not deserve that type of retribution. But they got it anyway, because that's all that the media was reporting on because no news sells like bad news, so it's about the optics overall.
Speaker 12: But Jacob, the uh, how do I put it? That's the thing though, you you can't really I feel like you can't judge. So you can't judge the actions of like the men on the in the fight in war because war is not human. Everybody says, oh, we should fight the war humanly.
Speaker 1: How do you.
Speaker 12: Kill vast amounts of enemies humanity?
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 12: And if you want to, and if you really want to talk about the justifying the ends, justify the means. Okay, yes, Uh. The world's greatest uh general Ville party was when America UH introduced our little boy to Japan. Granted, but we did far more and more damage and more UH casualties with the firebombing of Japan, the mainline Japan then we actually did with the two atomic bombs dropping.
Speaker 1: That's fair, but we also have to look at what the alternative was to that. The culture of Japan during World War II was literally they were telling the people that Americans were eating them, they were gonna eat the prisoners of war, that we were these barbarian animals, and all these things and that's confirmed by multiple people that could speak Japanese that were in the Pacific year that heard these women throwing their children off of cliffs to their deaths rather than be quote unquote captured and eaten by the animalistic Americans. Right, they were not going to surrender by any means. As a matter of fact, every Purple Heart that has been awarded since World War Two were made for what they expected to be the Purple Hearts to be awarded after the invasion of mainland Japan. So the ends justifying the means dropping two atomic bombs finally got it through the Japanese mindset that hey, y'all, maybe we can't win this thing and we need to stop to save our population. Because the reality of it is that upwards of hundreds of thousands, if not a million, people would have died from the US invading mainland Japan. So I'm not in favor of dropping nukes on people, but that truly was a situation where the inns truly justified the means. It's not a fun conversation to have, and I'm with you, you can't. You can't judge the war fighter who's in the middle of a firefight for going a little berserk. I get this one hundred percent fog of war being a thing, frenzy being a thing. I have the sympathy and the empathy for it. But there's gotta be a limit.
Speaker 12: Okay, I understand what you're saying, but it's just the way it says. You can't judge some like the way that people judge. So like the our boys from Vietnam, they the people judging them, they didn't they they weren't there, they didn't do it. And and what really fills them off if you go to you have twenty years before that, you had you had the Gat the dads and all who were young boys literally killing Nazis and all getting swiped out on beaches and everything. Then you have the forgotten war, which was the Koreans. They that the Korean War, which they probably felt some type of way because they would they were just dropped off by the wayside. No one ever would talk about the Queen War. But it's just like, how do you as a country.
Speaker 1: We didn't.
Speaker 12: We went into the Vietnam War as a favor towards the French, because up until that point it was the French, the French and Indonesian War.
Speaker 1: I want to say this Vietnam was called.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, that it was a over a twenty years civil war at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Granted, you really can't expect much from the French military that they gave up with They didn't even fight in World War two.
Speaker 1: So but again there's limits. There's got to be limits. There's never gonna be justification from mowing down a village full of women and children. You know that there's gotta be a line where we say, no, although the insurgents might be doing some heinous shit, we are not going to go to this level to match that particular fire using human shields. We have to at some point acknowledge, no, we have to be better than that, right, I agree, So but yeah.
Speaker 15: You know, we want to give our boys the maximum possible benefit of the doubt. But the other people are given their boys, and even if they're terrorists or Nazis, the maximum benefit of the doubt from their angle too. So this ends up, I don't know, special pleading on both sides to say, oh, well, we're just better and but you know, our boys should be allowed to do anything. So Hitler allowed that Wehrmacht completed immunity from any prosecution for any crimes in the Eastern Front, not on the Western Front. He was pretty strict with them in France and German. German behavior was not too bad there, but in Russia and Poland it was very bad by comparison. And yeah, if we're going to say, well, we don't want you know, the men who are fighting the war, they are under so much pressure you can't really judge them. Well, that goes for the enemy's men too, But we do want to judge the enemy's men.
Speaker 12: And humanize your enemy. It's a whole lot easier to kill them, which is the indoctrination. But it's jack you bought up how the Japanese said that we were cannibalizing the POW's. There was an actual Japanese unit that actually took a bunch of I want to say that air man it was yeah, yeah, not even that, it's not not even talking about just then. But no, they they captured, they shot down a bunch of the US planes. They captured the crews of the ships. And of yeah, it was a Bush senior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his boys. He found out that all of the guys that were in the camp with him got eaten.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so it's kind of funny that they were gonna say, oh that they they commit cannibalism. But yet the Japanese officer made his men eat the the body parts of the American pow because he believed that it would give them the strength that they would absorb their essence and right.
Speaker 15: But they were that's.
Speaker 1: Absolutely accurate. And but here's the thing. They were eating a military combatant. The Emperor of Japan and his media spear told the Japanese civilian population that the Americans were eating women and children. I'm not saying that eating military members is better or anything like that. What I'm saying is a mother humming her two year old off of a cliff onto rock face to prevent it from being eaten alive, and committing mass suicides like that seen as the more humane option because that's what they were told. That's a different conversation, right.
Speaker 12: Oh, it's just agree and everything, and it might just come out like I'm a dickord of it, which I say this as someone who has Japanese lineage and I'm learning more about the heritage, and I'm about my Cueen and Filipino heritage too. It's just it escaped.
Speaker 1: It kind of.
Speaker 12: Pisses me off that the Japanese there's folk they believe that they were on a bound and they have the code, the Bashido code, but yet when push come to shove, they threw all that shit out the window because they wanted to be quote unquote the superior Asian when in reality, all Asians primarily come from the same fucking area, which it's all a fucking su.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny that the Bashido code and pretty much the entirety of the Samurai way of life was outlawed in the eighteen hundreds, and then when it came time for World War Two, they're like, we got to get back to our roots. Man. It's like, wait, so all the swords, the Samurai swords that you outlawed, now you have Kamakazi pilots that are putting their family samurai swords in their planes so that they can have and maintain their family honor. It's like, all right, that's that's a flex.
Speaker 12: Also, uh oh, I can't remember which general it was or if it was the in for himself, but when they gave the they gave, when they surrendered, they gave their not not there are the military sort. They actually gave their families a semi sort, which is saying a lot because they they believe the Kaitans, they believe that their ancestral souls goes into them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've seen a couple of those in the Marine Corps Museum. As a matter of fact, a quantico, it's pretty dope.
Speaker 12: I had a actual kitana that a that that was passed on to me, uh from a gentleman that I met, uh and everything. He was he was a World War two vet, it was and everything, but it got stole when my house got broke into.
Speaker 1: Damn it was.
Speaker 12: It was. I cleaned it in everything, but it was very old it You could feel the history in it like they even like you couldn't tell that they've seen battles. There was nicks from where it was, uh where the other it's hit another sword and off and uh. There there was even notches in the pommel like titting.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a dope, dude. Yeah.
Speaker 12: But there's also photos of the Japanese having a competitive beheadings with the in Nan king, which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the raping of name king. You actually did have that. You had two Japanese officers that had a contest to see who could be head one hundred people the fastest with a katana. And then they got to the end of it and it was decided that it was a tie, and neither of them like were cool with that, so they continued the contest in more more disgusting ways. The raping of Nan King was, uh, that was a thing. You know what the fucked up thing is?
Speaker 12: And I say this and it's it's fascinating, but it's also fucked up. You know who's actually considered the hero of Nan King, I cannot remember, it's gonna uh. It was actually a high ranking Nazi he actually uh, he was not a racist. He actually hated that. He grew up over in Japan and it uh no over in China. He was like the Nazi delegate over in China. He had China. He had uh, Germany and Chinese like children at all. Like he and Hitler did not get along for that reason. But he wrote up. He interfered with the Japanese. He he gave a sanctuary I want to say, like a mile long whatever.
Speaker 15: And Chalkeenhausen I believe that was his name. Yeah, but yeah, I know who you're talking about.
Speaker 12: He was cleared of. He was the only ss TO officer to not have any charges brought up to him after World War Two.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 15: Well, yeah, I think they wanted to charge and they held them in captive. The Allies did, and he lost a lot of weight. And it was a Chinese lady who actually saved him from that situation.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 15: Her name was and she lived in Belgium until two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 15: Yeah, she also saved a lot of a lot of like Belgian resistance from the Nazis too, so she saved people on you know, mostly the Belgian resistance side.
Speaker 1: She was the thing today.
Speaker 12: I can't remember the name, and I feel bad, but like when the Nazis rolled into her country, I can't remember which country. I'm running off for like two hours of sleep, but yeah, I'm great. So she was eight months pregnant.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 12: I don't know if it was I can't remember if it was the Funch, if it was the Nazis, But anyway, she got held and they waited till the day after she gave birth, then killed her.
Speaker 1: The lady that we're talking about that lived in Belgium to a two thousand and eight, not.
Speaker 15: The Chinese lady and Belgium else.
Speaker 1: A revolution she was she started.
Speaker 12: She didn't just lead it, She erected the She built the whole of resistance, like the network and everything. Like she was pregnant at the time she started. I eight months pregnant. And then when she gave birth to like a month later, she got captured and the government waited till after the day after she gave birth to kill her.
Speaker 1: Wow, talking about Southeast Asia, let's talk about this and let's you know, let's end this one on a slightly humorous note, shall we? Collision between Chinese ships expected to escalate tensions in the South China Sea. And before people start thinking that this was some sort of an active war, we should mention the fact that it was two Chinese ships that hit each other because they were trying to stop a merchant vessel, a non combative merchant vessel just got a maneuver kill. And that's on record. Let's read in and now let's just predict China will move to restore its image at sea while ramping up exercises to improve navy coast guard coordination. Yeah, I'll bet they are. This is a picture of one of the ships that had a collision. Let's learn some more about it, shall we. Just they cannot, they cannot, And of course this article on my phone opened up the entire way, but on the internet it's not going to long story short. These two military Chinese vessels, they were, you know, Chinese coast Guard. They were trying to stop I cannot remember off the top because I had this article pulled up earlier, and of course it's going to suck now. They were trying to get closer to and I'm not sure if it was a Taiwanese merchant ship or a Indonesian or what the case was.
Speaker 15: But it was Filipino, I'm pretty sure. And the filip got video of it too.
Speaker 1: Yes, Filipino, that's what I knew. It was an island nation. I couldn't remember which one. My apologies, and uh, essentially they tried to maneuver to stop it and ended up ramming into each other and now they're worried about their image at sea. If nothing else, I think this is an excellent time to hear from our resident Malaysian correspondent.
Speaker 10: Try don't trust China.
Speaker 5: China is ass hoo.
Speaker 1: I love that guy so much. I really do. So you know, we'll see, we'll see if China is able to uh save face on this. I don't think that's possible. Just gonna throw that out.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now, that's not to say that America has not had our own military oopsies in the past couple of years. I mean, hell, we had two planes get shot down by the same destroyer over towards the Middle East area, and that was that was not a good look. The commander was relieved of command hard and uh, I don't think he's even allowed to recommission, honestly. But that's at least I would think slightly better than ramming two entire ships into each other. I don't know. I've never piloted a naval vessel or a coastguard vessel. I've never piloted a plane, so I don't know, but out loud, one of those sounds more embarrassing than the other. You have a missile system on a plane that, for a split second couldn't tell the difference between if that was our guys or their guys, versus two giant ships that were trying to outmaneuver a non armed merchant vessel and one of them straight up nose dove into the other. I just speaking on behalf of myself. I think that's just hilarious. But you know, hey, anyway, all right, Sam, go ahead, I see your hand raised.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So I just I find it funny and that they're Asian and there's a reason why the stereotype things can't drive, and now they can't fucking boade either.
Speaker 1: I guess not. You know, I guess not. Oh Man. Quite an episode we've had this evening, everybody. I want to thank everybody for joining me on this edition of The Cajun Night Live once again. If you would like to join us for our Wednesday Night lives every Wednesday night, nine pm Central, please go to the link in the description below Patreon slash cult excuse us listen to me Patreon slash Cajun Night once Again. I am the Cajun Night and I thank you all for joining me. And as always, God bless