Speaker 1: The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying, I have loved you with an everlasting love.
Speaker 2: I have drawn you.
Speaker 1: With unfailing kindness. Hear the word the Lord for you. Let's pray Father in Jesus name. We thank you for your word. We thank you for this time together to worship you, to be together, to commune with one another. And we thank you so much most of all that you love us beyond our comprehension.
Speaker 2: Holy Spirit.
Speaker 1: We asked that you would come and move and lead us to the Father. Come, Lord Jesus and speak to us.
Speaker 2: Walk among us, and Father, be here Jesus name. Amen, please be seated.
Speaker 1: So my wife Laurie showed me in the Epic Times a particular article right before Valentine's Day that sort of shocked me. And it shocked me because you'll see in a moment.
Speaker 2: How much it speaks to the word you just heard.
Speaker 1: So doctor Alexander, even Alexander, he is a well respected.
Speaker 2: Neurologist that was in the prime of his life, but.
Speaker 1: He contracted bacterial meningitis and he was in a deep coma so much in the hospital that the doctor said he had two percent chance two percent chance of living and for seven days his brain showed no activity whatsoever. At that point he encountered he actually his spirit left his body. He was having a what some call a near death experience. But he left his body and a radiant being came up to him and spoke to him.
Speaker 2: And delivered this message.
Speaker 1: You are deeply loved and cherished forever. You have nothing to fear, and you are richly cared for. Sounds amazing considering those words were very similar to Jeremyah's word speaking from the Father. So miraculously, doctor Alexander recovered, and he says love is what pulled him back from the brink of death. See, he had been adopted at birth, and he said, I had this subconscious belief that maybe i'd it didn't even deserve to exist, that maybe I didn't deserve love since my own mother had given me away.
Speaker 2: But he believed this.
Speaker 1: He said, this love expressed to him in this message cured the deepest scars of his heart and brought healing to him and brought him back to life. The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying I have loved you with an everlasting love. I have drawn you with unfailing kindness, King James says, loving kindness.
Speaker 2: I like that word too, loving kindness. I've drawn you.
Speaker 1: So Here the prophet Jeremiah is speaking to the people of Israel, and it's actually at a time when he's speaking about restoration coming, and it's actually the same chapter where the promise of the New Covenant is given. But as he's speaking to his people and talks about from the past, he's reminded them of his deliverance out of Egypt. He's reminded them of their time on Sinai, where he walked with him through the difficult time of the desert. He's reminded them of bringing them, leading them into the Promised Land. All these different things. I have been with you all this time, showing you my love, drawing you to me all this time. Whether you knew it or not, do you know that you're in a love story?
Speaker 2: You are? You are in a love story with God.
Speaker 1: From gen Genesis to Revelation, we see again and again the Lord pursuing out of his love, pursuing us, creating us, redeeming us, walking with us, being with us, showing his love all along the way, drawing us, as he says to us, with unfailing love, loving us with an everlasting, forever love. The God of Love is pursuing you, not just the world, but you. These words are for you this morning. Of course, the greatest expression of the love of God is Christ Jesus. In Christ Jesus his love, sending his only son to die on the cross, sacrificing his life, putting all the sins of the world, all your sin, on him. Of course, that is the greatest expression of love that could ever ever be right.
Speaker 2: We know that. But he loves you, He really really loves you, and he likes you too.
Speaker 1: By the way, sometimes we say, oh, he loves me, but does.
Speaker 2: He like me? He likes you too.
Speaker 1: He made you the way you are, right, He made you the way you are. You've been deeply loved since certainly certainly from your conception, but probably from the beginning of time.
Speaker 2: You have been deeply, deeply loved by God. He was there your conception.
Speaker 1: He was there when you took your first steps. He was there when you fell on your face running down the sidewalk. He was there when you had your first kiss. He was there when you had brokenness and hurt, when you chose paths of destruction.
Speaker 2: He was there, He's always been there. Think about.
Speaker 1: Your life and the times that he's shown you, he's revealed to you the evidence of his presence and the evidence of his love. But the resolution of this love story is still to be told. And I'm talking about the love story inside the bigger love story. I'm talking about the love story between.
Speaker 2: You and your heavenly Father. It's open ended. It's open ended.
Speaker 1: And for those of you who are here, who who who don't have a deep relationship with your heavenly Father, it's still open ended whether or not you will.
Speaker 2: Because it's all up to you. It's all up to you.
Speaker 1: My first glimpse of the love of God was when I was four years old. I had what I now know was a vision. At the time, I didn't know what a vision was. But I saw the Lord Jesus on a cross. On the cross, I saw him with his crowns crown of thorns, with the nails in his hands and feet, blood dripping down his face and off his hands. And the only feeling I had was love, absolute.
Speaker 2: Total, complete love. And I knew that. I knew that, I knew that I.
Speaker 1: Was loved, And I have always known that and it has never ever ever left me. Soon after that, I gave my life to the Lord. I prayed the Sinner's prayer with Annie K. Gave my life to him and he has always, always, always been there. But when I was growing up, I grew up in a family I like to say, you know, we didn't know we were just we didn't have the name dysfunctional, but that's what we were, you know, I mean, we really were, and a family of seven, five kids. I was the second of five. But my parents they didn't know how to love. They loved very imperfectly. They did their best based on their level of brokenness and their own past and some of you recognize that in yourself or in your parents. And they fought constantly. I went to bed many times lying in bed, not being able to go to sleep because my parents were fighting. And eventually they eventually long story, but they did divorce, and that was an area of brokenness for my life.
Speaker 2: But the Lord was with me and I knew that and he protected me.
Speaker 1: I didn't that didn't mean I didn't have to go through the process of healing, forgiveness and all that stuff, but he was there. I was abused as a child, it's sexually abused by a family friend, and that was very it was devastating. But even in that, I knew I was loved. And even through that, through the process of forgiving and and letting go that came because I knew I was loved, I could do that. I could walk through that healing and cling to my heavenly Father because of the love of God has so much power. I grew up close friends in the neighborhood. Three of my closest friends. My friend Paul, he died, he choked to death on his own vomit, having over drank alcohol at a party. My friend Dominic became so addicted to drugs that he eventually lost virtually all his teeth. And my friend Jimmy Kay the strongest guy in the neighborhood. If he wasn't on your side, then you might get beat up because he's also a really angry kid, and he played football like crazy and we could never tackle him. But Jimmy, Jimmy got into drugs as well. He got he got into uh uh.
Speaker 2: A lot of bad, bad things.
Speaker 1: He ended up in prison, He ended up uh he had lots of street fights and everything else ended up in prison. Uh family accounts of battery and ended up dying in prison.
Speaker 2: Why was I spared?
Speaker 1: I was spared because I was not captured by the world, because the love.
Speaker 2: Of God had captured me. That's why I was spared.
Speaker 1: Now, for the entire three years of jesus ministry on this earth, what did he talk about and what did he do? His words and his works were all about Your heavenly Father loves you. He cares about you. Come enter into a love relationship with him through me. That's all Jesus talked about. That's all he demonstrated time and again. Your heavenly Father loves you so very much. If you've seen me, you've seen the Father. You want to know what the Father's like. Open the book, look at the New Testament. That is the Father, That is your father in heaven. That is the one who loves you. That is the one who draws you.
Speaker 2: To him with his unfailing love.
Speaker 1: But Jesus also told stories. He told parables, right, and there's one parable where he really told about his father's love.
Speaker 2: You might know that parable.
Speaker 1: As the parable of prodigal Son, but you may not have realized that it's a love story.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a look at that love story right now. It's Luke, chapter fifteen, starting in verse eleven. There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, father, give me my share of the estate. Now, according to the custom, if he was a younger son, he was a second son of two sons, he would get a third of the estate, a third of all that his father had when he died. But to come to his father and to speak to him and say this is what I want was not only unheard of, it was absolutely disrespectful, completely, particularly in that culture of honor. It was like the worst thing you could ever say to your father. And by implication, he is rejecting him, and he's rebelling against him, and he's basically saying, father, I do I love you, and I do not respect you. In fact, he's saying, father, I can't wait till you die. Could anything been more painful to that father, I'm sure it broke his heart into a million pieces. The son's demand would also been a great grief to his family, absolutely stunning, and in our front, to the entire community who would have known this family and to have heard what had happened now most of you here, In fact, I would venture to say, all of you here, at one time or another, and maybe even this morning, have been a prodigal son or daughter, have been that younger son. You know, we simply want to live our lives the way we want to live them. What we want to do, you know, and enjoy what the Father gives us. The blessings of life, the blessings of family, the blessings of good work, the blessings of health, whatever blessings we have.
Speaker 2: We have so many, many.
Speaker 1: Of them, and we want to enjoy those, and we want to do what we want to do. But in doing so, we deny what the father desires most from us, and that is a love relationship or he's first, or he's our first love.
Speaker 2: Verse twelve B. The second part of the verse says, this what the father does.
Speaker 1: So he divided his property between them.
Speaker 2: So he does it, and he didn't have to do it.
Speaker 1: Any normal father in that culture would have thrown him out, disowned him, and maybe even beating him up first. But this father gives him what he asks for. Here you go, Here you go, son.
Speaker 2: Listen out of the generosity of his love.
Speaker 1: The father gives, he gives, he gives, he gives. He loves you so much, even when his heart is broken for some of you here this morning. His heart is broken just telling you that.
Speaker 2: Verse thirteen.
Speaker 1: Not long after that, the younger son got together all that he had set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.
Speaker 2: Now there's a surprise. He was just waiting to do it right.
Speaker 1: The son demands his inheritance, takes it from his father, takes the money and runs. In doing so, he further rejects the love of his father. He rejects his family, he rejects his community, and he rejects any faith that he had, because to go into the far country is to go away from God's people, to go to where the Pagans worship their idols. And so he does all this as he rejects the farther and again by his actions, he's saying, I don't want to have anything ever to do with you, father, I am completely done with you. Now, we don't think that spending our lives the way we do is rejecting his love, putting him second or third or away.
Speaker 2: But that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Now the Father lets him go without a fight. Here you go.
Speaker 1: In essence, your heavily father says, I love you so much that I will not make you love me. He doesn't want robots Autona toms.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. He wants somebody to love him back. He wants you to love him back. I won't make you love me.
Speaker 1: He won't force the relationship that he desires from you.
Speaker 2: But he's there with open arms. He's there, he's right, and he's near.
Speaker 1: He's as near as your neighbor to you right now and nearer. But the risk is worth it so that he has.
Speaker 2: A real love relationship with you Verse fourteen.
Speaker 1: So after he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in the whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went out and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. He ends up in a pig sty, starving to death. Jesus gives us a very simple picture of what it means to be away from.
Speaker 2: The father's love.
Speaker 1: Spiritual poverty, emptiness. You know nothing will truly satisfy and fulfill you.
Speaker 2: As the lover of your soul. Can he is the love of your soul?
Speaker 1: He is. Yes, I spent time as a prodigal as well. I chose to live my own life about the time I went off to college. The attractions and the temptations were too great for me. At least that's what I thought. I guess I don't know, but they were partying, heart eating relationships, not focused on God relationships, selfishness.
Speaker 2: I could go on with many things.
Speaker 1: But by the time I was twenty two years old, I already had an engineering degree, I was working on my masters. I was getting basically out straight a's. I had a full scholarship. I was paid for being for doing research. I was living on the beach.
Speaker 2: With some of my.
Speaker 1: Buddies, hanging out, partying, having a great time in and out of various relationships. Wow, you think I'd have the greatest time ever, But I wasn't. One weekend, I was in the San Berardino Mountains with my girlfriend and some friends. We were at a cabin there and I was out on the porch, and I remember it so clearly. I went on the porch by myself, and I looked out, just kind of out the scene off into the mountains there, and I was completely empty.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: It was like it didn't matter if I still believed in God. I was far from it, and I felt like he has no use for me.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to die.
Speaker 1: I actually thought I thought that that something's gonna happen. It's gonna be an accident. I'm gonna my heart's gonna stop. I don't, but I thought I was gonna die because I thought I am useless here. I'm living for this. Whatever I was in the PIGSTI I really was. Have any of you been there? Yeah, Verse seventeen. So when he came to his senses, he said, how many of my father's hired men have food to spare, but here I am starving to death. I will set out and go back to my father and say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I'm no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired men. So he decides to go home just to be a hired servant. He's no longer a son, He's not worthy to be a son. And so he's rehearsing what he's going to say to his father, and he begins to head home. Verse twenty says, So he got up and he went to his father. He's ragged, he's dirty, he's weak, he's hungry, he's broken, and says, but why he was still a long way off. His father saw him and was filled with compassion for him, and he ran to his son, threw his arms around him him. Is it that amazing?
Speaker 2: Amen? That's yeah, that is wow, wow wow. All this time the father had been anxiously looking for him.
Speaker 1: That's why he saw him in the distance, because he every day he'd be looking out there, every free moment, he's looking out there. Is my son coming home? Is my beloved son coming home? And he saw him, saw him out here?
Speaker 2: Is that my son? I think it's my son. He's probably limping.
Speaker 1: But dragon just you know, clothes, if you know, just rags, wearing rags, just skinny as a bone.
Speaker 2: And so he runs.
Speaker 1: A Jewish man would never run, not of this, not not of that age that that's that would be beneath them. That would be shameful to do. And yet he runs, he runs, He runs for two reasons. The first reason is that the uh that the son would would encounter a gauntlet of the community who probably hated him for basically dishonoring the community by what he did to his father, and we're just been horrified by it. And then they probably they'd probably be, you know, casting a spurgeons at him, probably just going.
Speaker 2: Oh there's that you know, there's that bomb. You know.
Speaker 1: The father runs out, I think, first of all, to protect his son. Father humbles himself to protect a son. The second second thing is he didn't want to wait another second before he was in his son's arms. Not another second, There's no time to waste. Threw his arms around him, King James. I love the King James. It says he fell on his neck. He fell on his neck, yes, and kissed him. The neighbors watch and disbelief. Right, how how can you treat him this way?
Speaker 2: You know all he did to you? Are you crazy? Yes?
Speaker 1: I'm crazy in love with my son, all this running, all this running and falling and hugging and kissing.
Speaker 2: What an amazing, loving mess.
Speaker 1: Right, it's the spontaneous love just flows out of the father. Spontaneous love and his actions tell us all we need to know, all you need to know about when you return to him, about when you seek him, seek his heart. It's one of the most powerful scenes in the New Testament, if not the Bible. Isn't it about the scene? It's Jeremiah thirty one three. What we just read Jeremiah thirty one to three lived out expressed, demonstrated, running, falling, hugging, and kissing slight. Let's see verse twenty one. Son says, father, I've sinned against Heaven, against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. But the father stops him. You can't finish his the rest of his he'd planned to say about being a servant and about blah blah blah blah blah. But the father says to his servants, quick, bring the best robe, put it on him, put a ring on his finger, sandals on his feet, Bring the fated cat and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate for this son of mine was dead and he's alive now, and he is lost.
Speaker 2: He was lost and now he's fine found. And they began to celebrate.
Speaker 1: This in the midst, like I said, in the midst, he stops him he doesn't even let him continue.
Speaker 2: He says, son, doesn't you're back?
Speaker 1: Best robe that represents his acceptance, that would have been his robe. The ring off his finger, the father's authority, sandals, the sign of sonship, being a son and not a slave, not a servant. The fatted calf a sign of the father's joy and in his son's return, and a full community celebration. Why don't we know that is because a fatty calf was too big for a family to eat. This was it was for the community to come. And so what the father's doing is restoring that, restoring his place in the community. Showing them all the stuff he put on his son is saying that's my son. You respect him because he's mine. My heavenly father fell on my neck too soon after my on the porch experience. The Lord broke up my relationship, that long term relations to that that I was in and that I just never should have been in, and I was.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 1: I was so grieved by not only that, I was grieved by that, but I was grieved by my life. And I would I would actually go and lie on the bedroom floor with with the lights out and listen to music.
Speaker 2: And that's what I did.
Speaker 1: And I did it for you know, multiple days, at different times when I wasn't studying. I did study still, but I was just just grieving, grieving my life. And all of a sudden, one day when I was in that place, the Lord came into the room. He came into the room. I didn't see him face to face. I probably would have died. I didn't see him face to face, but he was there and he filled the entire room and his presence was so amazing, and it took my breath away and I'm I'm just in awe at that moment.
Speaker 2: And then he calls my name. He says, Gary. You know when the Lord calls your name, he call he.
Speaker 1: Said Gary, and I was just like, Oh Lord. He said, Gary, you have been a Christian all these years and all that time.
Speaker 2: You'll live for yourself.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, no truer words have ever been spoken.
Speaker 2: And when he said that, I just wept. I just was.
Speaker 1: I was broken by that, this, Oh Lord. And he gave me some time to collect myself and then he said, now it's time to live for me.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm thinking you still want me? That was it.
Speaker 1: I mean, just what I felt is his love and mercy and grace and all that he still wants me. And I said, and of course I wasn't I said yes, Lord, I said yes, yes, yes, And I said, Lord, from this moment forward, I promise you, if you give me the strength, I will never ever say no to you again. So like the prodigal, like the prodigal son, I was home. Can any of you relate to him calling you home and welcome you home?
Speaker 2: I bet you can.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna move forward here for the sake of time. How important is it to you? How important is it to the father that he has a relationship of love with you?
Speaker 2: I want you to think about that. How important is it to him?
Speaker 1: Don't have time to go over the older son. But if you know the story at all, you realize that both of them were lost, not just the younger one, but the older one too, living at home, not knowing, not pursuing, not caring about father's love. Right. What they didn't realize is the father's love.
Speaker 2: Was their greatest inheritance.
Speaker 1: The father's love is your greatest inheritance, more than anything else, more than any great ministry or service, or any great success you have in this life or whatever. More than anything else, your father.
Speaker 2: In heaven is your inheritance.
Speaker 1: In this life and the life to come. This love story is open ended. It actually ends without us knowing what the older son does. Right, Jesus leaves it open ended because the ending is up to you. That's why it leaves it open. It's open ended. This love story is open ended. Your love story is open ended.
Speaker 2: How will you complete it? How will you complete it?
Speaker 1: Jeremiah thirty one to three, You'll go back through one more time. I've loved you with an ever lasting love. I have drawn you with unfailing kindness. He's reaching out to you. He doesn't just love you. He's in love with you. He really is, and he will never stop loving you. Do you know that everlasting love means like everlasting that he will love you if you reject him, and he will keep pressing on, reaching out, if you reject him completely.
Speaker 2: If you reject him, he will love you. In hell. He may not feel that love, but he will still love you.
Speaker 1: He will continue to love you for all eternity, crazy love. I'm going to tell you the purpose of your life right now. I know it's true because it's in the book. The purpose of your life is to fall in love with God.
Speaker 2: How do I know that? What's the greatest commandment?
Speaker 1: With all your heart, soul, mind, body and strength, love the Lord, your God. Right, that's it, and your neighbor as yourself. Let's stand, let's all stand. I'm going to have the last slide shown up here because this is an activity we don't have time to do, but it's something that you can do as you go home in your prayer closet. You know the church, the Lord is moving to our church into prayer the last few I mean last few Sundays. If you've been here, you know it, and God's tugging at your heart and.
Speaker 2: You're you're responding. I know you are.
Speaker 1: You're beginning to respond, you because that's where everything comes from. Well, I'm just gonna encourage you that the first thing ought to be not coming asking for anything, you know, not coming you know, with with with an agenda, but the first that your number one agenda, just to be in His presence and to love him, to seek him. Like Psalm twenty seventy four when David said, you know the one thing I seek after?
Speaker 2: You know you can look that up.
Speaker 1: But this little activity here, it basically comes from Psalm twenty seven four where he seeks and asks and dwells. Okay, and so that's where that's from.
Speaker 2: Uh SPA.
Speaker 1: Spend time. Spend the first time there. Then you can go into everything else. Then you can going to intercession, you can go into supplication, you can go into whatever, worship, whatever.
Speaker 2: But start with him every day.
Speaker 1: And these are just some questions, some things to ask him and talk to him about. But every day that you have as have questions to ask him, have things to tell him, and start there.
Speaker 2: He loves you so very very much. Let's pray.
Speaker 1: Father. I thank you so much for your love that just keeps coming. I thank you so much for rescuing me, Lord, for rescuing me, for pulling me up out of my pigs t I thank you, Father, Thank you so much. I want to love you. I want to love you back. I want to live for you. I want to know you. Draw me into you, Lord, Draw us into you, Lord, so that at the end of this love story, the consummation of it, Lord, would be just more love, more love.
Speaker 2: More love. Lord.
Speaker 1: Let us fall in love with you in this life and grow in love with you for eternity.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lord. In Jesus name, we pray Amen and amen. Thank you, Thank you,