Speaker 1: Night side with Dan Ray ONBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So thanks to all the callers who joined us on the SO scurity issue. And I'll tell you that tomorrow I will have Jim Roosevelt on Boston Attorney and also the grandson of Franklin Roosevelt. We'll talk about so scurity tomorrow night. Now, I am very supportive of the Trump administration's efforts to get gangland gang members and terrorist members of MS thirteen, members of the Venezuelan gang, who they've now sent at least a couple of flights, one to Al Salvador and at least a couple of flights back to Venezuela. I am certainly interested in pulling criminals off the streets of the country. And I know that there will be some friends of mine in the ACLU who will disagree with me, and who will say that every he has a trial, everybody should have due process. And I think that if you have come here illegally and you remember of a gang, or if you're someone who has been convicted of a crime, get him out of the country, make them serve their time, and then get them out of the country. However, I don't understand, and maybe someone can explain it to me why the Trump administration has decided to do some of these arrests in public. There's one that has taken place here in Medford, Massachusetts, at Tufts. A woman who's here from Turkey as thirty year old. She's some sort of a graduate student dealing with it seems like a relatively non controversial situation. She has apparently co edited or co written a piece that was supportive of Hamas. I am appalled that anyone would support Hamas in any way, shape or form. However, she had a visa, she was here legally, the visa was terminated and she was arrested on the streets by about five or six plane clothes ice officers. It's not a good look. It is something that basically, I think becomes visually so disconcerting that even people who support like me, the deportation of gang members, the trend di Agua Gang MS thirteen and others are a little well, I wouldn't say upset, but I'm certainly somewhat quizzical. The other thing is that I want to mention is that many of these people who have been arrested taken into custody and moved Louisiana. There's not much information other than she she wrote a piece supporting Hamas. I mean, uh, there's no one who is more pro Israel as far as I know. Then, I I don't see how you can be much more pro Israel than I am. But if she's here legally on a visa, uh and she decides to write a pro hamas h editorial. Uh And if you want to look at at whenever the visa expires and make it make a decision upon that. Those sort of actions administratively, I'm okay with that, But I'm not okay with suspending, terminating the visa and arresting them on the streets because I think it's counterproductive and I think it gives ammunition to the other side. Uh And and just because I agree with or I disagree with the the arrest of the graduate student. There's a professor from Brown, a medical professor who was sent back to Lebanon because she had attended Alma's funeral. I want to know the specifics, Okay, I don't want to If we're going to terminate visas which we extended, I want to know there has to be a modicum of due process for that, and I didn't see any modicum of due process. Now I know somebody going to disagree, Bring it on. I think there's a distinct difference between a member of a known terrorist organization such as Trendi Agua or MS thirteen and someone who's here on a visa legally who has a different point of view than I do have that I have Onjmas or the government has on Hamas. Let me go next to Undan in San Francisco. Hey, Dan, it's been a while. Welcome back. How are you good?
Speaker 3: Dan? Thanks very much for taking my call. And this is gonna be one of those nights where you and I agree completely about what's going on.
Speaker 2: Okay, I agree with you that.
Speaker 3: The arrest of that particular student, Ramesa oz Turk in Somerville was visually disconcerting, and I believe it is counterproductive, and I do believe that it makes America look bad.
Speaker 2: Do you let me ask you this, Do you agree with me? I don't have a problem what they did with Trent Ragua. And by the way, if in that mass arrest there were any individuals who were picked up incorrectly, I want them returned here. Okay, yes, you know, and I think that the that when you have a mass arrest like that and a mass deportation, the potential for mistake occurs. The fact that someone was a Venezuelan soccer player doesn't necessarily mean they're not a member of trent Do Agua, by the way, but if they are not a member of trent to Agua or an active member, they should be allowed to return here. And I mean they were talking about some guy who was a gay barber or somewhere in California. He could still be a member of trend to Agua. That doesn't But if the person is living here, working as a barber or as a soccer player or whatever, and they have no association with the gang, bring him back.
Speaker 3: And I agree with you on that too. And as you mentioned, the student, missus Oster, was not a gang member and she was not a terrorist. She's actually a doctoral student and what she's studying is a child study in human development at Tuff's University, and she's here on a full write scholarship, and she had a valid F one student visa. And the the op ed that she wrote in the newspaper for Tufts was written a year ago. Okay, so now all of a sudden she's targeted. And I also want to point out that in her op ed, she did not support Hamas and she did not support terrorism. All she was saying she was talking about the university divesting some of its endowment from Israeli companies, and she talked about the Palestinians who are getting killed in the war and gods of the Palestinian civilians.
Speaker 2: Yeahs, I will disagree with that. That's the the b d I I believe boycott divest uh the movement or the BDS. Is it TI or b d I or BDS.
Speaker 4: That I.
Speaker 3: Know is she didn't support Hamas and she didn't support terrorism.
Speaker 2: And yes, I will do agree with her on the idea of boycotting Israel. I'll disagree with her on anything that you know, Palestinians being killed. I'm sad that there were Palestinians being killed, but guess what, the Israelis have to defend themselves. So I will debate her on all of those topics. But at the same time, I come down to the final the place you are, and that is that it is counterproductive when you have people like that swopped up on the street. It is just not a good look, that's all. That's that's where I'm coming from.
Speaker 3: And it was filmed, right and just to let you know, I mean, I think you know, but what the audience to know that the people who arrested her were wearing playing clothes, they were wearing masks. Most of they didn't identify themselves to her, and they handcuffed.
Speaker 2: Well, they did know they they I couldn't tell what. Here's what I think happened. She was targeted, okay, And I think that there were some cars that were parked in this area of the school, whether it was on the school campus or whether it was just off campus. And I think there was someone in an apartment who noticed the cars and they put one and one together and they had their video cam and and they happened to have That's why it wasn't videotaped by the government. It was videotaped by another person, probably a student. But there was a point in time where you could see where they took their badges out, so she knew that she was not being kidnapped, not that that was any consolation in her, but there was an effort they showed. I saw one of them show what look to me like a badge. It wasn't like they were coming up to her without showing any identification and they were taking the badges. The badges were down inside their sweatshirts or whatever their their their outer clothing was, and then you take the badge out and you hang it so it can be seen. You know. So that's still at one point that I wanted to disagree with you on.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, But I don't know why they didn't have uniforms on right. I mean, imagine if you were surrounded by six people and they pull out something that could be a badge, and maybe maybe not a badge. They didn't look like law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Well, if they were sitting in cars with you, they were sitting, if they were sitting at cars, and if they were sitting in the cars with uniforms, and their goal was to apprehend this woman, or if their goal was to apprehend a more dangerous person, sitting in cars with uniform probably would be counter productive, don't you think, Well.
Speaker 3: Let's look at her. She's a thirty year old woman who's a PhD student.
Speaker 5: You know, I can't look I'm with you on that at all.
Speaker 2: But I have. My point is that that she shouldn't have been had her visa pulled, and if the visa was there, she shouldn't have been was she still shouldn't have been arrested. Whether they were in uniform. Look, ICE agents are not the most popular group of people here in in Medford, Massachusetts, as I'm sure you know, so you know they they probably were doing what they felt that they had to do for their own safety as well. In my opinion, I mean, there are people out there who are now saying, there's a guy on TikTok today saying when you see an ICE agent, shoot him.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's crazy talk.
Speaker 2: Of course it's crazy talking. But if you're an ICE agent and you're there to apprehend someone, and you've been given an assignment, and you say do I have to wear a uniform? If they say no, we want you to go playing clothes, you will, I think that's that's a criticism that's somewhat peripheral at the moment in terms of the major point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll accept that, all right, Great, I do want to say, if I may, is that really I mean, it's making us look xenophobic, it's making us look authoritarian. It's making us look hypocritical in terms of not respecting freedom of speech and due process and the rule of law. And it's it's just antagonizing our allies around the world when Trump really should be paying attention to getting prices down. That's what he ran on, that's what he was elected on, and it's it's not all of this uh, sweeping up people and harassment.
Speaker 2: But but you are okay with getting the terrorist out of the country. I hope we're in agreement on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, okay, but this is going too far.
Speaker 2: I good enough. Okay, we're on the We're on the same page. We're on the same page. Okay, thank you much, thank you very much. Thanks, Okay, thanks San Francisco, one of my great callers from San Francisco. Okay, thanks, thank you. Bye bye, all right, bye bye. The bar is not that high. We'll take a quick break if you'd like to join the conversation. If you agree or disagree, feel free. Six one, seven, two, five four to ten thirty six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. This is one you know. Look, I understand the goal and the fact that there are people self deporting. That's a good thing. As well in my opinion. Okay, but just as we criticized the deportation of the Mexican the family, the mom and dad who were illegals, their ten year old daughter dealing with brain cancer and she was stopped on the way to a hospital and then they were deported. That's not America. Come on, guys, let's uh. You know, I'm as much of a lauren on a person as anyone, But there's a few there's always an exception to some of these rules, and some of the rules in this case, I think, just pulling visas because someone wrote something and disagree with there's a big step between that and someone who actually is an active terrorist. The guy in New York may have a different situation because what he may or may not have done in Colombia. But I've seen no evidence that this Turkish woman did anything other than write a piece for I guess a local newspaper or maybe the student newspaper. Back on nights Side, right after this, It's Night Tide.
Speaker 1: With Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back we Go, Bob is in California. Bob, appreciate your patience. You were next on Night Side, Bob.
Speaker 4: Yes, Stan Good evening, Dan, I respectfully disagree with you on this and the previous caller okay, tell us, well, yeah, we okay, we are at war. We're at war with Hamas, Isbela, and Iran, and they're expressed preppers, as you obviously know, is the annihilation of Israel. They don't want Israel to exist. And when you have somebody in this country like that student, she's pro terrorist, Okay, she was supporting Hamas, get her out of here. Okay. If you're supporting Hamas, you are anti Semitic, and you are pro terrorist, and you are obviously abilivious to what happened October seventh. You probably never saw any films about the Holocaust. Okay, how dare her come to this country national resources and then start writing an editorial where you're supporting terrorism and of us. No, there was a great move to get her out okay. And I love like with Columbia. Columbia fired their president as you know, they suddenly put money ahead of their so called principles. You know, they were an incubator. Columbia, like a lot of these universities of hate. Okay. Now, the argument that some people use, like the last caller, is oh, free speech. No, hate speech does not fall under free speech.
Speaker 2: Well, I understand your point. The problem is this, I might be sympathetic to the idea of moving people like this out of the country. However, I think the way in which you do things is important. And I just think that the optics of this woman walking down the street alone and being confronted by six Ice agents again, she did not look like a terrorist. I have not read the article that she wrote. You may have, but it would have to have really been more than just simple simple empathy for that point of view. If she celebrated if in the article, I should probably have tried to find the article, and maybe I will by this time tomorrow find it. If she had celebrated what Hamas did on October seventh, that's a different story. That's a different story in my opinion. But she if she wrote a relatively bland article, and maybe in the break I will try to give it a quick read here. And I may have been remiss and not reading it. I just I haven't seen this should have been if the White House was certain, Bob, it would have been nice if they said, after they arrested her, we have arrested phil in her name. The reason we have arrested her is her visa was revoked. The reason we revoked her visa was because on this date, in this news article she wrote quote whatever she said. I would feel differently about it depending upon what they came up with. But the only response from the White House so far is that that she wrote an article which was a supportive of Hamas. But I wish it was. I wish they would lay it out. What do they mean by supportive? Do you know what I'm trying, what I'm trying to say, or.
Speaker 4: No, I think you have a point. But again, I'm going to go write back to what I said. I'm okay with what they did. Okay, we'll send a message if you're in this country and or thousands or students that have come here to use our resources, if they hate America, like clearly she does, is she's pro Hamas, then okay, go to the guys the strip, go over indeed, with the Palestinians, go where you know, go over there. Okay, don't come to this country and be writing hate speech. Don't be doing that. And I'm totally okay with how they removed her. Okay, but then I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is if if she was writing hate speech, I wish they had laid it out for me. Uh and so I could see what the what the hate speech was. I'm looking at an article here from National Review, which is a conservative magazine. They write, the writer, who I do not know, says, while I can see the legality of the administration's move against Ramasha Ousturk, I reject this morality imprudence. You're a Turkish graduate student at Tufts University named Remisa auster Co wrote an op ed for the school's newspaper complaining about the administration's failure to respect student government demands for the university's divest from Israel. Few seem to have read the piece. Rather than a statement of anti Semitic ideology, it's a bland process complaint about anti Semitic ideology, landed with Gratruda's quotes from James Baldwin typically forget to put left wing juvenilia. In other words, I'm going to read the article during the break here, Bob, and I'll, you know, I will come back and and see what what what I might come up with here? Okay, this this article was written, was published on March twenty six, twenty twenty four. So let me see what I come Let me see what I come up with.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay. Clearly she's anti Israel. Okay, she was criticizing, you know, for the ties of Israel. She's anti Israel, Okay, which means she's pro terrorist. She's pro hamas well.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That might be for me a bridge too far. I'm very pro Israel. Okay, But let me let me read the article, and I can read it, and I'll come back on the other side and I'll have comment on it. Okay, I will. I've found it and we will read it, I promise you. Okay.
Speaker 4: Sounds good. All right, Thanks, thank you, Dan, Thanks.
Speaker 2: Bob, good night, talk to you. So good. All right, all right, let me take a quick break here, we'll break a little early. I'm going to talk to John and Bob, and if you want to join us, feel free. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six, seven, nine, three thirty. This article appeared in the Toughs Daily, which is the student newspaper at Toughts. It was written co written by four individuals. It was published March twenty sixth a year ago. Twenty and twenty four. I'll read it and I'll have some comments when we get back, and i'd love to get your reaction to what we're talking about. We'll be back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, as I promised, I've just read the op ad written by these four individuals, including Rumeisha Ostork, the woman who was arrested last week near either on or near the Toughs University campus. The first paragraph I'm going to read to you of the is all I want to focus on. This is only an op ed piece of three, four, five, six, seven, eight paragraphs. It's not that long. On March fourth, the Toughs Community Union sent it passed three out of four resolutions demanding that the university acknowledged the Palestinian genocide, apologize for university President Saneil Kamara's statements to close its investments, and divest from companies with direct or indirect ties to Israel. These resolutions are the product of meaningful debate by the Senate. This is the tough University. It's not the United States Senate. It's a bunch of students, okay, and represent some sincere effort to hold Israel accountable for clear violations of international law. Now we're getting into an area that's problematic. Credible accusations against Israel include accounts of deliberate starvation, I don't think that's a pretty strong allegation, indiscriminate slaughter of Palestinian civilians, and plausible genocide. This is obviously a woman whose mind is not in the right place. But there's a lot of people on the left's minds or not in the right place, and we can't kick them out of the country for their minds not being the right place. I wish my friend, I hope my friend Bob is listening. Credible accusations, first of all, credible by whom against Israel include accounts of deliberate starvation, really indiscriminate slaughter of Palestinian civilians, and plausible genocide. Well, we did have indiscriminate slaughter of Israeli civilians that we know on October seventh. We did have plausible genocide allegations because I think the individuals who went in and attacked the folks at the dance festival and went into the Kobutz's area and killed older, old men, old women as and infants. I think that was genocide. I think they went after them because they were Jewish. I think that's pretty clear or Israeli. Israel then has a right to defend themselves. This is stupid, editory, stupid position taken by people who obviously may be antisemitic, certainly are anti Israel. But I still don't think that once you give a visa to someone that you can rescind the visa or revoke the visa because they've written a stupid, tough daily editorial, in my opinion, and I don't think that that's where the American people want the Trump administration to focus, in my opinion, and I just think it's a bad look. So if you'd like to join the conversation, you can agree or disagree. I've got a couple of lines still open. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Let me go next to Bob and Rain and Bob you were next on Nightside. Hi, Bob, how are you.
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 6: How's it going?
Speaker 2: Dan going great? If I'm not mistaken, you're you're a pretty solid supporter of President Trump? Correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I am I right or wrong on this issue in your opinion. I want to hear what you say.
Speaker 6: So I guess I don't like the look of, you know, actually doing it in broad daylight. But I have to say just I think that we should be removing these people just as they were allowed into the country at two o'clock in the morning while we were sleeping. And I don't know if this is a particular case. But while I don't think.
Speaker 2: She supposedly is a full bright scholar, I don't think she's too bright anyway. But that's okay. That sort of diminished the standards if she's a full bright scholar. This article could have been written by a seventh grader. I mean, it's there's nothing astonishing about this article. But go ahead. I don't mean I did not well, I did mean to interrupt. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: Well, I think there might be more to it than just that article. There you know these you know that where you know that the Trump administration is looking at. And also i'd like to say that you know how quickly we forget uh nine to eleven uh, those folks are simulated in the communities. They went to cookouts, they were in bowling leagues, I believe, and stuff like that, and we know what happened there. And I don't believe that the First Amendment applies to people on student visas. And if they speak against our country or our allies or whatever. And I think for any kind of you know, hate hate type message, they should be removed from the country or Okay, I can.
Speaker 2: Understand your position there. But having read the article, the toughest part of the article, the one sentence that most offends me as a supporter of Israel and as someone who who insists on the survivor of Israel. Credible accusations against Israel include acounts of deliberate starvation and indiscriminate slaughter of Palestinine civilians and plausible Gemiside genocide. They they, they they sweet, They write with these these wide brushes and they don't substantiate anything. And first of all, if there's any any genocide that was involved, it was on October seventh, the morning of October seventh, at the music festival, and in the kibbutz.
Speaker 6: Of course it was.
Speaker 2: But I just think that that that that the administration before they pick someone up like this here, she's not she's not should be the first group that that she's that they're worried about. I would be worried about. Let's get the terrorists out first, Let's get the criminals out second, uh, and then we can start to worry about maybe some of the agitators within these these uh these campuses. Okay, and the guy in in Colombia, he may have been somebody who was a real leader of that demonstration. That's different than somebody writing a juvenile op ed piece in a college newspaper, in my opinion.
Speaker 6: But is that the only issue?
Speaker 2: Well, I assum it was the only issue because the administration hasn't said. Look, we've also found out that she was going to whatever fill in the blank, going to Hamas meetings, sending money to Hamas, whatever they got on her. What if you go to a rest her and you're going to kick her out of the country, and you're going to revoke her visa, which have already done. Give me some reasons, give me some reasons. Make your point. It's not a good look. You said it, I've said it. And so what happens is that undercuts the public support for what the Trump administration is rightfully doing.
Speaker 6: I agree with that fair enough.
Speaker 2: All right, Bob, appreciate your call very much. Thank you much. Skip Rowling here got John in Boston. John, you might wrap us for the night, Go ahead, John.
Speaker 5: I just don't think it was a good look for that woman to be supporting Hamas with that letter. Listening to an intel expert, Deep Sarah Adams, she's well known, uh knows about terrorism, and she says right now is one thousand terrorists here in this country right now, and they need facilitators and sympathizers to support them. That's how they get around, that's how they're able to function in this country. And Hamas stopped at American hostage American hostages in Israel who are captured, and Mamas is directly connected to the Muslim Brotherhood, who was connected to Arafat, who is connected to Otto Gazzini hit his favorite commando. And it's like this woman is not you know, she's standing.
Speaker 6: Up for Hamas.
Speaker 5: They are killers.
Speaker 2: In the article, by the way, the article that I've just read in its entirety, because it's not that long, never mentions Hamas.
Speaker 5: Well. The thing is Dan, she's speaking out for the group. And it's interesting that the FBI is seriously because they talked about nothing. Look, well, the FBI showed up to that seventy five year oud grandmother in Kingston, mass and blackass ups to arrest her because she was in an abortion play playing she wasn't blocking terrances, and no one said a word. Very little was said about that. They had no problem showing up in black as SUVs to arrest her and her sister spent a year and a half in jail, and she was just recently pardoned by President Trump and all of a sudden, this woman who's.
Speaker 2: No But let me ask you, if does it justify the excesses of the Biden administration by matching them with excesses by the Trump administration? Is that a good? Look?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I just don't think it's excessive in light of Boston is a sanctuary city. We the nine to eleven guys who are here, the Boston Marathon, bambers are here. A city's been attacked. We're in a very dangerous time right now, and we don't need people here being sympathetic to groups that are they're terrorists or very to our country. We're our scheduls in grave danger.
Speaker 2: Right But look, I understand that I understand that John. I'm just saying is I would like to spend whatever resources we have to spend if you want to go after this woman who wrote an op ed piece in the who probably was read by five thousand people max. Five thousand and one, now that I've read it, it just you're you're spending important political capital. Get the terrorists out, get the gang members out, get them, get the convicted criminals out, Let the self deportation go. Then you can focus on these other ones. In my opinion, as always, I'm running out of time, so I gotta let you run.
Speaker 5: I gotta let you money from all right, thanks much, talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: All right, done for the night, Rob Brooks, great job, I'm reade, a great job. To the calls. We have some good calls tonight. We'll have We'll have them. Jim Roosevelt on tomorrow night, will continue our social security conversation. I'll end us always, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pell. Charlie Ray, who passed fifteen years ago in February, that's where all your pets are who have passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. I'll see you in April, every one. In about two minutes, it will be April. We're out of March almost in April. Have a great Tuesday everyone, see tomorrow night. I'll see you on Facebook in about two minutes