Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessionets.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is long time friend. I haven't seen you in forever. It's been a while. Mike Quinn, hope you have some takes today, Yeah, we'll see. And one who was with me at the game on Saturday, if how was your first experience with it's your first experience.
Speaker 3: First experience on a on a road game. It wasn't It wasn't bad. You know, hey, I hadn't made it out of alive, no expectations to it. Kind of kind of similar to when when football started, where there was no expectations. It was nice, it was new, it was it was a good experience, great game.
Speaker 2: A great game, fun game, great to write about. I didn't know what the so I threw it all in the pot, started up and wrote it, started up and wrote it down. Drama, drama, drama. It was a good it was a good article in a good article. By the way, well, thank you. Normally you're not gonna get paid anymore. You don't, I don't normally say that. If you want to.
Speaker 4: Read me, it's all sportsdou dot com.
Speaker 2: Uh, and it's typical is a rivalry game, right, a lot of drama. I've seen drama that crazy and you expect that in a in a rivalry game like that. I mean, it's let's go with this because we're going to talk about it a lot today.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, we're gonna have just just so you know, we're gonna have Kyle Dodd in the first hour three seventeen. Everyone knows Kyle DoD. He's former ASU basketball player. Now he's the color guy for the radio show, radio show for the games. And then the other side, we're gonna have Brian Peterson, who was also at the game. So we'll talk to a lot about the game today and then maybe get ready for tomorrow.
Speaker 4: But no, let's go there.
Speaker 2: So you're a competitor, right, You and I have played against each other, plaid with each other, and well we haven't played with each other, but I mean, well, you know what I mean. I understanding where you're going on that. Say to you, yes, if you don't want to get Poop talked to you, win the damn game. If you want to be what to do, win the damn game or be ahead in the game, because all you have to do is point to the scoreboard and shut the hell up. It's like Sean's you know, I don't want to I want I don't want court stormys.
Speaker 4: You know what you do, don't lose the damn game. Don't lose the game. Don't lose dame game.
Speaker 2: So so I'm not going to defend Hurley or whatever, or even whatever because I hadn't.
Speaker 4: I hadn't. Did you have any problem with what happened? I can't.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I can't imagine defending her at all. I mean the he talks more crap than anybody else a lot.
Speaker 4: That's and I think you and I had that conversation. We had that conversation.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just I mean, him sitting there talking about people, you know, yapping during the game. I'm like, he could be kidding me, dude, because he doesn't remember when he played or when he coached thirty five years ago. I mean, that was the king of talk crap yep, you know, with with him and some.
Speaker 4: Of the other guys. I mean, come on, it's how do you bully a bully? You'd be a bully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd be a bully, bunch in the nose. Yeah, yeah, incredible, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I had no issue, but the reasons why he sent his players and the coaches neither do neither good good reasoning. I did not logically agree with at least him and Tommy not shaking hands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think I think you know, you're put in that head close position. Has got to be that level of professionalism and sportsmanship to at least go competitor to competitor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, this is not a novel. This is not novel. You look, okay, you got fifteen guys on the team. Fifteen guys on the team. You cannot maintain control of fifteen guys and just say we play with class, be a class player.
Speaker 4: Don't do this stuff. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's football teams that have eighty five players are talking about.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? The issue side the issues? It's you.
Speaker 2: You know, look, you want to talk crap during the game, and you talk crapt during the game. Okay, but you better be able to control these guys. Through a handshake. Well, here's the issue. To me, there's so many issues, but not really big excited. We'll give a crap. But okay, So he was being talked to and they didn't like the yapping and blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: So you're gonna resort to head buddy. Yeah really really one extremist for the other. But you know, we were being told about, so he resorted to this that one very bad doesn't make another really bad. Right now, go ahead, let's go. We got call ready, which is cool. Yeah, there you go. There's no line that you go over there.
Speaker 2: It's okay to go over right, to get into head buddy, right or punching or pushing you're.
Speaker 4: On aaron I the ball? Who's this? Hey, hey, good good? Tell me you're insight? What do you got?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 6: You know, it's interesting. Here's my analogy of this sport. I grew up playing sports my whole life. I was d one college golfer. And the whole thing about sports is the hardest thing in sports is the losing handshake and when it's when you have to acknowledge that somebody kicked your butt. And now I don't mind that they took his players off this floor to avoid something, you know, a skoy wile breaking out something like that. But I agree with whoever said that he should have at least been mad enough to go up to Tommy and shake his hand to acknowledge the end of the game. And you know it's it was very well as me for how he his post game went. Yeah, with all you know the talk and you know this and all that you know, I mean, it was a heat and rval I saw smack talking on both sides of the floor. I've watched you in a basketball for forty years and I've seen nothing but smack talking on both sides of the floor. But it comes down that loser's handshake either makes you work harder to be a better competitor, or you submit to it and you're the second best. And you know, I'm honestly, I don't really worry too much about a little brother in Phoenix. You know, we've dominated them. For our record since I've been watching basketball is one sixty one and eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because the brother considerly there, they consider us little brother.
Speaker 4: It's certainly in football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, go ahead, what do you got scoreboard? Football, we've got scoreboard and baseball. We've got scoreboard and basketball, and when and scoreboard and softball when he comes down to the four sports that matter and two song scoreboards a little brother.
Speaker 2: So, mister shows, let me say this. You're golfer Division one. I'm sure you're a competitor and other things if you're with the boys, with you with the guys, uh playing and I'm sure like for some on a Sunday, Saturday or whatever, even in college, you're saying, come on, Alis, hit the ball, come on, come on, guys. I mean you're talking crap too. I'm I don't know golf, it's probably less less crazy, but I'm sure deep down you see what the hell are you doing? And and kind of not miss Smike. Talking in sports is a given.
Speaker 6: So I played in the riding league and it was you would have been surprised just how chippy it got, uh at conference championships twice, I mean where it was getting heated, you know, between between teams, between the two teams that you know. I played at Right State and we were one of the teams to beat all four years out of there and Butler was the other team basically in our conference that was the other team to play against, and we went ton to Tonneler and it got it got chippy, and you know, I mean as much as you here expect for a golf outing to potentially go fist, because I mean it was heated, and you know, there were gamesmanship that that that went on amongst the teams, and that's it.
Speaker 4: That's it, that's game, that's gaming. Ship. You don't want it to happen to you, don't let it happen.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, we had to shake hands too, and we lost. We lost conference twice and we won it twice, and our conference had to win conference to go to regional.
Speaker 2: Your coach said you at the end of the day, you shake their hand, right, I mean.
Speaker 6: At the end of the day. And that's that's you know, no matter what sport you play, at the end of the day, that's what is supposed to happen. What happens between the lines is competitive and it is what it is, you know. And that's my only question is Caleb does he out for tomorrow right's game?
Speaker 2: No, we've we've we've written that at a number of times, you've said it on the internet and all that. No, that's what we were told on Saturday.
Speaker 6: Well that's why I expected. I mean, my understanding was if you got kicked out of the game, you had to sit out of the next game. But that's good, you know, because there's a little bit of anyways, neither here nor there. But yeah, I mean, the whole point of playing the game game competitor that's a competitor hates losing more than they love the winning. And it's it's it's just having it's just the fact that somebody did it a little bit better than you is a really tough to to swallow as a as a anybody that competes at a high level really hates that more than they you know, they expect to win, but they hate that lost. They never expect to lose. And I love the oday and I love that you know, we've had a little Brother's number up in Phoenix for so many years.
Speaker 2: Guys, right, thank you, thank you, joh I appreciate it so so to your point one, I don't disagree with you in terms of get the guys out, because there could something could have happened. May they may not have happened, but they might have right, Uh, that we've seen these lines get heated with the former Michigan guy five to five guy. Sure, you know, punching the other coaches stuff like that, that happens.
Speaker 4: I get it. People are competitive.
Speaker 2: Uh, And there's a difference between being competitive and going over the edge punching a coach in the in the handshake line. Uh, you know, headbutting a guy in the in the game. That's not being competitive, that's losing your cool. I'm wondering one and you, mister Quinn, on that if U A could appeal that foul because I think before upon further review, Caleb was just kind of going back. Maybe get a technical for go back, but to get thrown out for kind of defending yourself, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, was it because he said something to the official?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It didn't look like he did, but he was being pulled back. Hey, if that happens to me, I'd be pissed too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think Caleb handled it good to start with, the way he fell back, started laughing but then came back at him.
Speaker 4: I think was was the was the issue, But that's at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: He made no contact with the guys. I still don't understand. I still don't understand why Caleb got kicked out. Well, I think that's the whole thing. I think that's why the review could be uh done and say okay, technical, yes, but maybe not the the two the two technicals.
Speaker 3: That's something they probably already looked at, just because from a league standpoint, they want to make sure their review everything and get it right. I'm looking back on it, and I've watched that play multiple times. It did look like he did say something to the rest, So did he what point when he was getting pulled back by Carter Bryant, he was just kept talking and at that point, you know, you got to stop to get back to your sideline things.
Speaker 2: But the circumstances of events at the time you kind of don't know. You don't know because you you already see that they're not doing anything about it until they watched the film and watch the tape and blah blah blah, and then it happens. At the end of the day, it happened, and let's move on. But but I'm not a u a grat, so I have no dog in a fight. I'm just able to tell a story. A lot of people are pissed for whatever reason, and more pissed of him because I think Bobby Bobby was out of place to me, and I think we talked about this on the sideline one. I don't think he's coming back, and I think he's going scorched earth to Hurley. Yeah, he's not. He's not coming back. He knows he's not coming back, So why not just burn out? You think he's done this season? I'm pretty sure. I'm not pretty sure, but that's my guess. Fans probably helped not They probably love this. No, yeah, of course, because they've owned him.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: It's not the situation of who are they going to go get? Well, it's they're gonna get anybody.
Speaker 4: Well. The thing about is we've talked.
Speaker 2: I've been here thirty seven years. They could get whomever, and it hasn't worked. We'll talk to Kyle doubt about that because we couldn't continue outside of this room. Talk about the issue being a sleeping giant right in athletics. Football kind of had this Football and basketball they could be, but they've screwed it up so many times. It's not very good with whoever they try to get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season. Uh, some projections still have them as a possible NCAA tournament team just because there's so much opportunity out there for them in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens. So they play again in March.
Speaker 2: Here's another issue and I just got to tweet about it that Tommy should address the issue.
Speaker 4: About the situation.
Speaker 2: He kind of talked about that in terms of are we class and because someone asked him right about the class, but about him talking about Caleb, about Hurley talking about Caleb, Lloyd should feel obligated to address what Hurley said about love, especially the last part where the no Player of the Year blah blah blah. That's kind of true. But Petty, I mean, he doesn't do it. He might have just set it off the cuff. And if he doesn't feel that way that he doesn't. There's a lot of other dudes that have been pretty good. Yeah, that that is true.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of Big twelve players out there that have had a really good season.
Speaker 4: But what else is he going to say that he hasn't said already?
Speaker 3: You know, he stands he said, He's said it multiple times this season that he stands by Caleb Love and always will.
Speaker 4: Sure. So here's the issue too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if they played tomorrow against BUYU, they're on the road, there's only one real guy that's going to ask that question because none of us are with the team. That's Bruce, and he might eventually, because Bruce and Bruce, he'll ask that question. Yeah, we'll get him back on the return trip Thursday, Friday maybe, And then by that time you're almost a week removed from the.
Speaker 4: Game, and you got focusing on text stead on something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the news, the news cycles already got coming here something though.
Speaker 4: Should he address it? Maybe just in a written state.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is I disagree with Bobby and blah blah blah, and and that's all you got.
Speaker 4: What's the matter?
Speaker 7: Die?
Speaker 4: You die?
Speaker 2: Arizona knows who they are, and he's talked about that.
Speaker 4: There's bigger things just focus on for Arizona and Tommy Lloyd.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think a lot of people outside of the program, the people who watch and observe and tweet and basbook, are more concerned about it than people involved. Yeah, people are worried about my relationships don't worry about.
Speaker 3: Okay, don't worry about it. We're doing just fine. We're in our honeymoon phasey.
Speaker 2: Let's take a great quay to get ahold of Kyle Dog gonna review some of the stuff on their side. I wonder how he called it, and that's that's kind of why we're going to get amount.
Speaker 8: Yeah, your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nation wide keyword on our website.
Speaker 6: Cash.
Speaker 8: That's cash. Enter it right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise so Fasco?
Speaker 4: YUCKI trye.
Speaker 10: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Deroti Rocking Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Doratle Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years.
Speaker 4: We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better. Than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 13: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO NINEZ two nine point two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with nut notice.
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest grow hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 4: As one of the leading card shops.
Speaker 15: In the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball Go cats.
Speaker 16: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects.
Speaker 4: I'm the environment.
Speaker 16: Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespis, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four Action Pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Keno Sports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch a league baseball talent from around the globe. Feel the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field.
Speaker 4: Whether you're a lifelong fan or just.
Speaker 7: Looking for an unforgettable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March.
Speaker 4: Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait.
Speaker 7: Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com that's SASPA dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware, and sinks. Our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the window deepot dot com the Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 8: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wady and the Ball. Here on Fox Sports sportsun fifty times. Steve rovertaure Mike Quinn. I am Mike Quinn. Now on the phone, we have Kyle Dodd, former you of a you. Ah, holy, let me start over, former a isshoe guard. Uh and a you have a pain in the neck, but he's proud of it.
Speaker 4: How are you doing, Kyle?
Speaker 17: Well, if you introduced me as a as a U of A guard, does that mean my record flip from one to eight to eight and one? I'll take that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you were part of this rivalry. Can you talk about the rivalry and what it means? And then I'm gonna go with another question from that.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, uh, you know what's funny because obviously we've been have a couple of crazy days since the game was played, and just a lot of emotion, a lot of stuff that's been talked about, and you know, I've been telling people and I even said it on the air in my postgame show, and I said it a couple of times last week, like I don't really enjoy it anymore. As I got older and as I started a family, and I had trouble separating like my hatred towards Arizona and like life like so, I mean i would walk to a into a U of a game and I'd see a family just like my family, and I'd see three little kids wearing you know, Celine Stottomire jersey or whatever, and I'm like, damn, I hate those kids, you know. And and I had like it. Yeah, and I had to like take a step back and like realize, like it's it's it's. I have an appreciation for the ravalry now, like I I appreciate what you guys have built in basketball. I appreciate Arizona fans being so passionate. I still, you know, I still jump in the arguments, I still take jabs. I still play the game, you know, but yeah, I mean I don't enjoy the games really honestly, I just I mean in any sport, because I just it's almost like I just rather you just tell me who won at the end of the game and I don't have to deal with it because sometimes to me, I think the rivalry brings the worst out of us as people. And you know, and I know it's just a few bad situations or bad apples and the fans or whatever, but but still it's just like, uh yeah, it's it's crazy, it's but the the appreciation part is that people are so passionate and they're so intent, you know, on on their team winning that it's something that brings people together on both sides, you know, with just rooting against the other team.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because you and Richard Jefferson did that exactly what you're saying. You guys went back and forth at each other, and at the end of the day, you guys were kumbayah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, it's like I said, it's it's you know, like I know, he took some shots at Bobby or whatever, and then Ten took some shots at the issue saying, you know, this is the reputation, and I know, I know the stories. There's some disgusting stories on both sides of how what what was said, you know, during during certain games to certain people. And this the Steve Kerr stuff that's unexcusable, you know, and the Bobby Olsen Loud Olsen stuff for students and that's not unexcusable. And there's been stuff, you know, and and I don't talk about it a lot, but I mean I could go back and open up my ASU dot e edu email account when I was after I got the fight with Walton, and I mean stuff that I had to quite for turnover to like ASU police because it was like people were threatening to come to my apartment beat the hell out of me, you know, and I'm just like, that's not real. But yeah, I mean that's what I told Richard on there. You know, I just said, hey, look, I mean it is what it is.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 17: We uh, we have we have people that take it too far on both sides. And at the end of the day, I think we all understand we're we're all human beings, and yeah, it's just we're gonna have our opinions, different opinions. And I'm you know, I'm still gonna hate Arizona and hope they lose every game. But I can still sit there and run into you before a football game in Tucson and chat with you and Anthony for and and be friends and and go on your you know, go on your in your classroom and do that stuff. So it's it's like I said, as I got older, I'm able to separate, you know, the the real intense feelings I have towards Arizona, and then like still have a bunch of friends in Tucson and still appreciate Arizona and in a weird way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, how did you call this? How'd you call the final minute.
Speaker 17: Unfortunate? I mean, that's what I just I just wish that it didn't happen. I mean, selfishly, I'm joking when I say this, but I'm kind of mad at bj Freeman because he might have taken my spot in the top five of the most tap the players at u A. So no, but but seriously, you know, like it's just unfortunate. It's the stuff that you just don't don't want to happen, you know. Obviously the handshake thing is you know, I understand, you know, keeping the situation away from uh, you know, escalating further and and whatnot. But and and nobody can nobody can jump inside of coach Hurley's head and you know, really understand what you know, what his And I'm sure he's a very calculated person. He's you know, super competitive, as you guys see. And for whatever his reasoning was, you know, he does make decisions with conviction, and he's and he believed in and that was the right decision. And I thought, you know, after the game and Tommy, I thought Tommy was really good in the press conference. I mean he said, you know, he agreed, didn't want anything further, and you know, it's just it was just unfortunate. I will say that, I just wish it didn't come to that. Again, I can't you know, I can't speak for anybody and any other decisions, but I just I wish that it hadn't come to that. I I wish the game would have just finished and I would have gone home pissing and moaning and crying like I always do what you guys beat us, especially at Tempe. But yeah, it was just I didn't want to see it that happened that way. And you know, I just, like I said, sometimes the rabbitry brings really bad stuff out of people, and I just didn't want to see that.
Speaker 2: So Bobby Hurley is passionate uhas Yeah, I was gonna say, put it up, put all those in caps.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's he's passionate, fiery and angry. Uh at that game he was really angry. Did that help or her? I mean, is that is that a uh? Is his tea a reflection of that of his personality.
Speaker 4: In that way?
Speaker 17: You know, I think I think what you see on the sideline with Coach Hurley is everything that made him a great player. You know. It's that competitive spirit. It's I'll do anything to win. I you know, I'm not going to back down from anything. I think the players that you know that play for him appreciate that he battles for them all the time.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 17: It's it's like I said, if you're if you've got a guy on your side, you know, for me, for for issue, then the passion and the love that he has for airs of the state and wants to win so bad, I appreciate it. But on the other side, I can understand that like people might view that as you know, this guy just won't stop screaming and yelling. But I just think everything that is in his character on the floor is what made him a great player, and is what and and what made him you know, a good coach for us. So you know that being said, you know, it's just again it's just a difference of perspect because then you couldn't find a nicer human being off the floor than coaches. Like he is total opposite. If you see him fiery and crazy and you know, wanting to win, but then you get him off the floor in the hotel and you know, just just out and about like you know, we travel obviously with the team, and Coach is just a genuinely nice guy, constantly doing I mean our story after story, constantly doing nice things for random people or strangers or you know, I think I've told stories before, but uh, you know, I mean, like we're up in Washington when time driving a bus to the shoot around and there was a homeless guy that had a like a Bobby Hurley Duke Jersey on. Bobby stopped the bus, got off the bus across the street. Everybody's like what is going on? And we just see him like run across the street and talk to the guy. And gave him something nobody knows. I we think he gave him some money, but I'm like, nobody knows the story. But like every and he didn't say no, he didn't explain it to anybody, but it was just like and this guy is looking and he's trying to hit his buddy who's like half asleep, to explain what just happened. And you know, his buddy's like, you know, I don't even want to hear it. But it was, Yeah, it was just like stuff like that. And there's countless stories like that. So he, you know, off the floor, he is just a genuinely nice guy, and when he gets on the floor, he wants to win, and he wants to he wants to battle for his team. And that's that's what you see. You see the fire up hit you know inside.
Speaker 4: You see it with his brother too. But let me let me go here.
Speaker 2: You could talk to twelve thousand people in the arena and they'll have twelve different thousand opinions on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had no problem with him taking the kids off, because who knows something could happen. I have no problem him saying I don't want to shake my hand. Let's go because it's just what it is.
Speaker 4: The one issue I found kind of strange is he was on a team that tucked a lot of crap.
Speaker 15: Yeah yeah, I mean, like, you.
Speaker 2: Can't be given to people a hard time for talk talking crap when you got Bobby hurt Christian Lightner on the other side.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean I don't think, you know, if you watch Bobby play, I don't think Bobby was like a chirper like Lightner was. But yeah, he did play with the guy that was probably the most notorious, you know for people getting forgetting under people's skin. So yeah, there's you know, the irony of that is is you know, I mean, obviously christilating, there is a lightning rod for competitor.
Speaker 2: You know if once you play, I covered you, and now we've become friends and you're a competitor. Guess what athletes do when they face each other. You talk a lot of crap.
Speaker 17: Yeah yeah. I played with Eddie House, which is the I've never seen anything like it. So he was he was a lot of fun to listen to.
Speaker 4: Half the time.
Speaker 17: I was just like in awe of some of the stuff that he was able to go at people with and then still be able to you know, put up forty. But uh yeah, it's you know, within the within the game, there's a lot that said. Obviously, I have the the privilege of being down there on the court, and you know, and and I hear a lot of the stuff, and you know, I would never throw anybody under the bus on either team, but I mean, yeah, there was a lot of stuff that was said and a lot of things that happened in both directions that yeah, I wasn't a you know, wasn't a fan of. But then I could sit here and get on my high horse and say, yeah, I can't believe Caleb Loves said this, this is this. But then I mean I was an idiot on the floor too, Like I did anything and everything to try to, you know, give my team a competitive advantage. And different people compete in different ways, so I think on both sides, honestly, I just yeah, there was a lot of it. But that's why that's when have we not seen that in the rivalry.
Speaker 3: So obviously, you know, there's there's the rest of the Big Twelve season to go for Arizona State. Right now, they're projected as a fifty to fifty shot into the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 4: Where do the sun Devils go from here?
Speaker 17: And we got to win some games, man, I mean, uh yeah, I mean still after after being three and seven in the league, losing four straight home games, we're still on the bubble. And that's crazy. That just shows you the strength of the conference. All four games, three of them to rank teams, Well, now you guys are twenty. I mean we were up, we were winning inside the five minute mark or had the lead or tied you know, in all four games, were right there and just weren't able to pull those out. And then you know, eventually those that starts stacking up losses and they have some wins available. I mean, obviously k State at home is a must win on Tuesday, but they're coming off a game where they just went to ames Iowa and beat Iowa State. So I mean, but then we go to Oklahoma State and then we have, you know, some other home games that you know, you you gotta try, you gotta try to win all your home games from here on out, even though it's gonna be really tough. And then you got to pick a couple off the road. But I think the number for me is that they found a way to get to nine wins. I think they're safely in because because of the good wins that that would mean you got a couple of good good win wins. And they're only they only have one loss upside quad basically quad one this year, so and so quads two through four. We have one loss and that was at Cincinnati, which you know would be that's what they would consider a bad loss. But yeah, I think if they win some games. I mean, so you have ten games left, so they would have to go what six and for for the last ten to get to nine wins and and see what they can what they can do.
Speaker 2: You were part of the pack twen, Pack twelve, right pack twe pack ten?
Speaker 17: I was, I played in the Pack ten.
Speaker 4: But yeah, okay, so yeah tells you how old you are.
Speaker 2: I won't say yeah anything, but you you go to you on the road to a lot of these places. Obviously it's not the you're not in the pack ten anymore. This is to me, this is fantastic, the best move both teams can have done in the basketball conference. You gotta you gotta show up every day or you're against your ass handed to you, even at home. Houston found that out. You know what I'm saying, it's just tough. If you're a competitor, and I know you are. We've talked a number of times. This must be heaven.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's crazy, man. I mean, this is what I've been saying to people. It's like, you know, coming to McHale every every night, and the crazy I mean because it's it's packed. Everywhere we've been has been sold out. It's been crazy energy. What I will say is the big cool fans are like really really nice people.
Speaker 1: Like it's you don't have some.
Speaker 17: Of the arrogance and just like they're really like there was times when you go to UCLA or you go to Stanford and you and you just you're like, god, man, these people are just ruthless, you know. But like everybody's really welcoming and welcome to the conference. Here's where you should go, here's what you should do, blah blah blah. And you know, other outside the travel and the weather, everywhere we've been there's been snow on the ground everywhere. You know, the travel has been a little bit rough, you know, just different. I missed the one hour flight to LA but it's yeah, it's it's been a cool experience to see some of these other places and the passion of these fans and and yet, like I said, they're very respectful and nice. And I'm sure they're so nice to you know, us and and you guys because they get a chance to come and getting eighty degree weather and watch their team play, you know, twice a year. So but yeah, it's been it's been really a really pleasant surprise. It's a gauntlet, man. It's it's a good league and there's not a lot of wins available. You got to go take them in Arizona. I mean it's a perfect example of uh. I mean they're flipped their season big time. And I mean sitting at nine and one, I mean nine wins in this conference in your first ten is it's quite a feat.
Speaker 2: Let me say this, good luck when you come back. I know you're right next to Bobby in the so you're gonna you hear it.
Speaker 4: You know how these guys are with him?
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, yeah, I think yeah, And that's I think it's a late night game too. And I you know already are a lot of my friends are like, oh my god, you have no idea, And I'm like, dude, I know, I would expect nothing else, and I think the building in that place is going to be uh crazy, and you know, I'm sure there's a lot of hostilities and stuff. I would say, like the number one thing for me would be that we'll get through that game and we don't have any crazy incidents with any bad apples on on either side. But yeah, it's gonna be mchable, will be rocking. So it's the craziest I've ever seen it there. For me was the year I actually did win the one game I won. We won in Tempion. It was a weird schedule. We played like two weeks later down there, and it was like they weren't having any of it because we we we beat him up pretty good and I think you guys went out like twenty six to four. Jason went off. I was telling Jason Gardner the story last year that was the wall fight actually, and uh, we're getting just blown out of the building and I was just like, and that roof was going to, you know, blow off that place. And I think that's why I lost my mind a little bit. And I didn't I didn't get to enjoy the rest of the game. I only made it like halfway through the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well will you enjoyed the last second shot two a couple of years ago, So.
Speaker 4: That was fun.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that was That was probably my best obviously my best moment. And the thing I remember at that shot too, is just how it's the first time that I think they're ever like most of you, a U of A fans walking out of the building, We're like, hey, man, like that was just what a shot, you know? And it was yeah, it was like even at that point everybody And it was a really well played game before that too, so both teams played really well. And yeah, but that was, yeah, it was it was surprising even U of A fan Like we actually went to dirt Bags and to have a beer before we went home, me and Doug Tamer and Tim and and it was all U of A fans and everybody was just like, holy cow, what a what a shot?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: The thing about that this would be my last thought Bobby. Bobby was so excited. He went and hugged a couple of people, and then he came back to the bench and gave all the all the fans right there on the edge of grief.
Speaker 17: If you remember, Yeah, he gets I mean I think that was you know, uh he gets it as you know from those that group of fans behind the bench. He gets it really bad. And I think he yeah, that was his moment to be like, you know, express himself. But uh, if we think it's been bad in the in the past, I'm sure that whole group behind the bench this year, I'm sure that they'll beef up some security because that's going to be a hostile.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Feel safe, Okay, thank Kyle, appreciate you, thank you.
Speaker 17: Yeah, no prop anytime. Guys have a good week, right.
Speaker 2: Take care Kyle dot from Ishoe guard dot you obey guard. I won't come back and talk more. Maybe take some calls five to four, one, six, seventy four to forty. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 18: Hi, this is formal while get Lemanhundly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 4: Space in your life.
Speaker 18: We off a complete line of cardio machines multi gms in freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home at auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say all them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 4: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 2: Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about his you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program.
Speaker 4: He has consistently been the.
Speaker 2: Top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tuson.
Speaker 13: It's time for the coll Of Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson can Quisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at it's finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and coet So live in concert at Rito Park. The Colon Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting COLO Rectal Cancer Awareness and Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by foul Bomb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 8: Breaking down all the xys and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports foorteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to one of the ball, you know, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you or Mike Quinn. I am one with us today. Yes, sir, just a bunch of bitching today. Yeah, I mean we're we're just complaining about that. We'll have more typical Monday, right, yeah, yah, yeah, complain Monday, Monday afternoon quarterback and blah blah blah. Well, you'll have a lot of stuff in the breaking news. We've kind of postponed our breaking news. We're playing on for breaking breaking news, real breaking new stuff at the four o'clock If you want to call, we'd appreciate it five two oero for one six seventy four forty. We've already gotten one call about what happened over the weekend.
Speaker 4: And I think that was my first time I call her. Agreed with me.
Speaker 3: You know, I've had a couple that say, all these kids now, they don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 4: It felt good, it felt good. I'm gonna just want to say that it.
Speaker 2: Looked like you were a little jacked about that. Yeah, and I do too. Okay, he could have either way, either here nor there for me, just you know, get the guys off. You don't want to escalate anything. Okay, that's cool, shake hands, done that before. Yeah, you know, I've.
Speaker 3: Actually experienced the situation where it was middle school and things got heated.
Speaker 4: Those parents were getting into it.
Speaker 3: And of course the parents and so they just told us, hey, next time we will, but right now, let's just get our kids out of here.
Speaker 4: Go to that corner. Go to that corner. You're good to go were the kids and get it into or the parents.
Speaker 3: The parents were fueling the fire the kids, you know, kids and competitors and yeah, so you have the parents to it, you know, just separate, just separate.
Speaker 4: The next time.
Speaker 2: In a wrestling meeting, was in the wrestling team and we had to fight away out of the gym. Yeah, okay, we'll talk to about that later. You gotta call hello, you're on the air, round the ball?
Speaker 4: Who's this.
Speaker 7: Mind?
Speaker 4: How you doing there?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: This is this is Miguel Come sta. Yeah, you know I would then we come and get you. Man, They're gonna come and get you.
Speaker 19: Oh man, you know what, you know what The rest is the most Mexican thing you can do is go to work.
Speaker 4: Right, That's funny. I'm sure someone told you that. That's why you picked that up. But that's funny. Oh dude, I was, I was there.
Speaker 11: Anyway, That's just the whole other candid words.
Speaker 19: Let's talk about the candid words that have it. And I saw your sitting next to a j man.
Speaker 4: You have some at least, No, he had better seats than me.
Speaker 2: I went down to say hi, and he's on New Mexico guy and we talked and then I said, we got this is not official until we take the selfie.
Speaker 19: They're all fo you're all selfing photo.
Speaker 2: I looked about one hundred looked like Moses when he comes down from the mountain.
Speaker 19: All right, But but anyway, you know, with the whole Bobby hurling thing, his petulant behavior, and I love his faces, him and Jake Cutllyric Kindred, and they can make a face to look good in a photo opp to save their life. They're a walking mean And for him to you know, rest on the on the excuse that they you know, he saw it escalating and and he did it on the whole planning the flag thing and once he think he is uh Michigan or Ohio State. This isn't Michigan or again to Ohio State. This is a fat guy versus a.
Speaker 6: Sun beaten lawn chair.
Speaker 19: Straight up the hammer and the nail. And I know there's reads a dude from Scattaboo and the way they handle us in football, but we're still winning in football, and it's it's it gets to that.
Speaker 4: But they needed to shake hands. And after you get whipped and.
Speaker 19: Put in the corner, you gotta be humble enough to shake hands. What are they doing, They're making men right.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a man.
Speaker 11: Teachable moment to say when things escalate.
Speaker 19: The game is over, the competitiveness is done, and this is where you humble yourself. This isn't life or debt. This is basketball, and that's teachable. He didn't teach him a damn thing. All he taught him was you guys should be pissed and blow it off in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Yea, I hear you, And I don't want to disagrete you because I think you're kind of right. But you know, I says my father would say, and maybe yours yup.
Speaker 4: I can't. What's the point now, yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 17: I get it.
Speaker 11: And Streaman's note a villain.
Speaker 4: He's he's not.
Speaker 19: He's not something we think about, something we worry about. He's just as good as Bobby Hurley. Hurley's just now that he's not his brother, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, well, that's what we have some breaking news on that too. In a few minutes.
Speaker 19: We'll see, Yes, Sarah so so bare down, I love y'all and living that miserable Dallas cowboy life.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you about that.
Speaker 2: Your your owner, because they just moved up. He just moved up. The dude who's a substitute teacher. No thing's gonna come that nothing.
Speaker 11: Well, well, what the what happened was he wanted Mike McCarty, but he wanted Mike McCarty for three years, and Mike Mike McCarty smelled his own uh perfume, so to speak, because they he wanted the Bears wanted to talk to him, and and and Jerry said no. So he thought he coul averaged five years and he only wanted three years, and it would have been a Garrett situation.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think this.
Speaker 19: Is the blessing in disguise. I like the old line coach they got from the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: I like what it's gonna happen.
Speaker 6: Either way, I was gonna be miserable.
Speaker 17: So this is just.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, this is just another way to stop my toe.
Speaker 19: It's either the cinder block or the bed frame.
Speaker 11: That I broke with my big woman, or stuff my toe in.
Speaker 4: The corner or something in the way.
Speaker 19: I'm gonna have a broken little toe. So yeah, you already know everybody needs to calm down. Every four years it gets crazy. But I.
Speaker 2: On the podcast, Yeah, yeah, we'll get it the call real quick. Hello, you're on their line the ball.
Speaker 4: Who's this?
Speaker 17: It's Brian.
Speaker 4: The reason you got to follow Mike. But what do you got, bro?
Speaker 5: Well, just you know, you know, I watched the game like everybody else, and it was to me, Bobby Hurley, you know, I mean, nothing changes with this guy. You know, he always has He always has an excuse.
Speaker 6: You know, this, with this, this, with that. You know, did he ever look.
Speaker 17: At his own his own actions and what he does, you know, but what he does.
Speaker 5: On that court and standing walks out on the court and the reps don't do anything to him. You know the player head button that can I understand his frustration. It was a terrible thing to do and he should not have done it. And what happened to him getting thrown out that was that was the proper thing. But do they do they understand that Bobby Hurley, that's like a little kid.
Speaker 4: On the court.
Speaker 17: Well, that's always complaining and whining.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what I meant where I was going on the on the other question for or last guys, just like you know, he can't act a fool like that and then expect his team to be nice, to come cold and collect.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the issue to the avenue A d I mean.
Speaker 2: And that's why I say we got to see if he says, you know, stop it already or you'll be gone.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but you know, and one thing too, he sits there and does all this stuff and then you know, and then he turns around and calls Arizona class list.
Speaker 5: And I'm going okay about the way he.
Speaker 17: Acted the whole time, and not just for that one moment or whatever it was when U of A made a basket and me where and you know.
Speaker 5: The kids are going to chirp in each other that's just the way basketball and a lot of sports, absolutely.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 17: And if you can't handle that, and then maybe you should find another profession.
Speaker 2: No, Like I said, he was on one of the teams that tripped the most and had every reason.
Speaker 5: To him and and and and and he was one of the biggest chirpers.
Speaker 4: Yes, so we'll see, I mean, we'll see. It's just so strange. It's just it's to me, it's fun. It's a good story already. I don't only care about the rest.
Speaker 5: Yeah it is, well, yeah, I mean, I mean, especially the way it ended, and you know, and and and nice to see the u of A fans turning out like they get up there as usual, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm wondering if in the next day, if it hasn't already happened that they talked to each other on the phone and said, you know, okay, this is what happened. This is why, you know, because he waved them off. And then you saw the photos of Timmy lorjoin me what did I do?
Speaker 4: You know, like, what did I do? And he just waved them off and waved out Murphy.
Speaker 2: It was just it was just bizarre watching it and you're thinking, is this really happening?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, And and the worst part of it is all the stuff on ESPN and whatever basically went with what Hurley said, not saying, okay, what Hurley I never heard her mentioned about how we got a technical in the first half, you know, bracting like a fool, and you know, but but.
Speaker 17: But you they make a big issue about oh u of as class list.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to vote for kleb love for player or the conference, which not gonna get anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, but still ESPN slashes at hurlings.
Speaker 4: I mean, so so you.
Speaker 2: Know, he'd let him take his ball, and that's what he did. He just took his ball and went home with it. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 17: Well it's gonna be very interesting you.
Speaker 4: Know next month. Oh yeah, I'm here. It's gonna be lost time.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's because.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to get back at him and just like kick their butts down.
Speaker 17: Here.
Speaker 5: Well, you're gonna have fourteen thousand crazy fans and maybe two hundred days two fans, not like it was up there.
Speaker 4: You're right, you're right crazy.
Speaker 5: And they're gonna let him have it the whole time.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, it's not like it's called that's called Tuesday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Do it all the time. Thanks, Brian, appreciate your call. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah we got about a minute. Lot, I got a cup, I miss miscounted, Okay, we got it. Okay, No, I think Brian, it's all the culture legiti. I'm not trying to bash this other side because it's just not worth it. Uh And everybody has has their opinion. It's not like you haven't seen this stuff before. No, I mean you've seen it before.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. It happens. It happens sports, I mean all the time.
Speaker 3: That's what comes with the rivalry, especially sure in State. You know you're you're two hours away from each other. You have what I what I find interesting is just it's a game at Arizona State. There's a financial arena and the head coach of the home team is getting booed off of the court.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you something did you write about? What did you write?
Speaker 3: Would you have five takeaways from the first ten games?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, so nothing really specifically, Like now.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are upset that when the writer, the AP writer didn't mention the technical up on him on coach, but talked about other things because they wanted to be Journalism.
Speaker 4: Is not like that. It's not like that. You write what I know.
Speaker 2: I didn't write about his technical because it didn't fit, didn't didn't fit the story. It didn't fit the story, the fight and the game. Yeah, I didn't need to put about this so Jaden's technical, although I did. I did because he did that. I saw it, you saw it.
Speaker 4: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's not fair. Anybody who thinks life is fair is totally wrong. It's not fair, not fair. You know, I could have been you. I was gonna say, it's like going just I mean, I look at you and I'm like, life's not fair.
Speaker 4: I can't have everything, like exactly, let's go, we gotta go