Speaker 1: Walter Sterling and you with Wyatt Sharp Wyatt, congratulations for being on the biggest all night show in American radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Now today you're in Austin. Is that your report? Is that what you claim?
Speaker 2: I am Austin, Texas, Yes, sir, all right, very different than Canada.
Speaker 1: Completely different than Canada. Please give us an update on the news and information of interest to your your fans, your audience on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was actually becoming a bit of a pattern for us here in terms of true crime news. But I started doing some true crime stuff after my interview with the Nancy Guthrie Sheriff, and I've just been continuing with that ever since. And so your listeners will have known that the Luigi Mangioni investigation had a new development this week. Luigi Mangioni is, of course, a man who killed the CEO of United Healthcare, Brian Thompson, just on a sidewalk in the middle of the street in New York City. This was in December of twenty and twenty four, and so he actually pleaded guilty to two federal stocking counts this past week in court. And the reason that he did that was because of something called double jeopardy, and he was facing counts in both the federal court but also state charges as well, and so the hope, according to his attorneys, by pleading guilty to the federal charges is that they can get those state chargers thrown out and that he will be able to walk free sometime in his fifties. Is kind of the general timeline that people are looking at right now, which obviously seems very very absurd for someone who literally killed a man in cold blood. But the reason that I think my generation is so interested in this case in particular is the reasoning behind why this happened. If you listen to the attorneys for Luigi Mangioni, they will tell you that he did this as kind of, you know, for reasons of emotional disturbance that they haven't officially used that line of reasoning in court, but basically saying that he was so fed up with the healthcare system and that's why he did this. But to me, it's just so interesting, because I really don't think that, you know, as fed up as you can be with anyone or anything, the idea that that type of an argument would ever stand in a court setting seems quite you know, laughable in that sense. It doesn't seem as if that would ever be a worthwhile argument or something that would have much legal standing.
Speaker 1: I am shocked that they had the nerve to present that he's not being tried for murder. He's being tried for stalking, and the judge has agreed to let this go on.
Speaker 2: Right. I talked to I don't know if you're listeners, well know his name is Mark Geragos, a very well known attorney, and he told me that one of the interesting things in this case is because of the legal loopholes. Right. It's not that you know, Luigi Mangioni didn't commit this horrible act, because he absolutely did, but it's because of the way that the legal system work works, rather that he very well could be out of jail within his fifties. Now, of course that's not certain. We'll have to see how the case continues to progress. But I just think that, and I'm sure you would agree with this, that it seems very shocking to me that someone who killed somebody who is currently I think in his twenties, I mean, only getting you know, twenty five or thirty years for that type of a crime seems quite absurd when someone like Brian Thompson, you know he's not going to get any of his life back, and yet here you have Luigi Mangioni, who could, potentially, based off of the way things are going, be released and you know, still have twenty to thirty years of his life left.
Speaker 1: Wyatt Sharp, who has a very active and popular channel on YouTube. The Sharp is that right?
Speaker 2: Sharp Exchange? Close enough?
Speaker 1: She got no sharp Exchange Sharp Exchange Sharp Exchange on YouTube. Tell us the latest that you you've received about the Guthrie case. You had a famous interview with the sheriff, anything else from that interview and then updates the past week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I've done obviously that interview with the sheriff, but I've also done a couple of follow up interviews with different people. And one of the gentlemen that I spoke to, or gentleman I spoke to with someone by the name of Rick Castigar, And obviously your listeners probably don't know that name, but his backstory is very interesting because he was actually the boss of Sheriff Chris Nanos for about thirty five years down in Tucson, Arizona, and I interviewed him and he had some pretty interesting things to tell me. He had said that the kind of tension that we are sensing right now between the sheriff's office down there with the FBI is actually not just specific to this case, and it's a law outstanding personal grievance that the sheriff has with the FBI, not just the FBI director currently, but with the bureau as a whole. And he says that he believes that that tension has hurt the case pretty dramatically. He said that it's actually the ego of Chris Nandos, the Pma County sheriff, that has sabotaged the case. Was the wording that he used. So I thought that was really interesting just because that's not you know, your average Internet commentator who's saying that about the sheriff. It's someone who has had direct involvement with him, who worked with him for several decades. Also on the case, I've spoken to Ed Smart, who was the father or who is the father of Elizabeth Smart, who of course was abducted in Utah for Smart of course.
Speaker 1: What a smart and interesting person to interview in this case, Elizabeth Smart's father. Please, I didn't mean to interrupt you, but I wanted to yellow highlight how smart you are.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I appreciate it. But yeah, the reason to that point why I wanted to talk with him is because his daughter was found after nine months of being abducted, and so I thought to myself, let me reach out to him because he might have some interesting things to say about the timeline here, because I think six months into this investigation, a lot of people who perhaps aren't super ingrained in legal and criminal cases, think that after six months these types of cases have gone cold. But interviewing him was kind of to underscore that even six months into this, well, Nancy Guthrie likely unfortunately, even he said, is probably not likely to still be alive. That does not mean the case has gone cold, and it does not mean that they're not going to find out the perpetrator of these crimes.
Speaker 1: And in your opinion, what has happened there with Savannah Guthrie's mom. In your opinion, what do you think the end result is.
Speaker 2: It's really tough to say without speculating too much. I think there's a lot of different scenarios, but I do think that part of what has happened here and part of the reason that we are left without answers. When I interviewed the sheriff, you know, he wasn't able to rule out the suspect from the Tucson area, which, of course, you know, I don't want to read too much into that, but I thought that was kind of puzzling. But I think part of it is because they withheld the FBI for several days from getting access to the scene. There's been an extraordinary lack of communication, So you know, honestly, Walter, I think right now, one of the realities here that not a lot of people are willing to say is that even the Sheriff's office doesn't really seem to have much of a clue what's going on, because if they did, they probably would be saying more because quite frankly, their popularity is going down quite substantially right now because of the lack of answers that they are giving. And you know, as much as the sheriff did give me the interview, I'm very grateful for that, I think the fact that he wasn't able to answer a lot of the questions that I had for him in a direct way that certainly didn't vode well for him, and it didn't vote well for the public's trust or kind of their interpretation of how transparent the Sheriff's office has been.
Speaker 1: Whyat Sharp? Anybody who has teenage children know that if an answer, if a question is asked and you don't get a direct answer, there's a lie at work. It's it's yes, It's very powerful. Wyatt Sharp? Whyatt Sharp? The Sharp Exchange on YouTube, great guests. Thank you very much for being Canadian, and thank you for being on the other side of Midnight