Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's a Lady with mo Kelly and we're live on YouTube at mister mo Kelly and joining us in studio on this Thursday, This Tech Thursday is none other than Marsha Collier. Marshall Collier is always great to see you, but it's also great for everyone else to be able to see you as well.
Speaker 3: I love I love the new YouTube. It's it's fabulous. Hi everybody, how you doing? We got so much fun in tech.
Speaker 4: What do you want to start tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, lots of fun. You want to save money?
Speaker 3: You want to hear about some missing Android updates that you may not have, Let's do that. Okay, So unlike iPhones, you know, iPhones just drop oh we have a new operating system. Everybody gets it all at once. But when you're an Android, you may get it here.
Speaker 2: Right, get a feature here, a security update there, it's a peacepeal.
Speaker 5: It's it's definitely piecemeal.
Speaker 3: Actually, you get like three different types of updates, and it really helps if maybe once a month you go to your settings and you look search updates.
Speaker 5: The most important one and this is.
Speaker 3: One that you don't probably even know you have, and that's the Google Play update, which really that's your feature update. So when they have new features, that's where they're dropped because it's incremental. With Android, you don't get it in one giant PLoP. You get, oh, we just invented this, so we are going to give it to you on now. So you have to be sure to check for updates in the Android Play system and that will be in updates in your settings. The April update had something really interesting in it, and I think it's a great security fixture feature. But iPhones have something similar and it's a real benefit for us to have it now. The new security feature automatically restarts the phone that remains locked for three consecutive days.
Speaker 2: They tell us, we're supposed to reboot our phones semi regularly anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, but you know, you may be hey, I'm taking a digital break, I'm not, or I'll only use my tablet or something like that.
Speaker 5: So what that does.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to prevent unauthorized access by returning the device to a secure, fully encrypted state. Believe it or not, it's called before first unlock. In other words, the way the phone was before the first unlock totally secure, and the reboot that you're going to get automatically if you don't start your phone in three days and it's locked, it triggers a new encryption of the device's data and it makes it totally inaccessible without the passcode.
Speaker 2: That is very cool because I know when I reboot my phone, my fingerprint sensor is not going to work.
Speaker 5: It forces me to put in my passcode. Well this, well that's it, that's what you're referring to.
Speaker 3: But again, this is dropping kind of like pop yeah, kind of farm, you know. But the automatic reboot, if the phone is locked, not unlocked three days, it will happen, and this will prevent unauthorized access to your phone's data, which is absolutely everything you need.
Speaker 5: And it encrypts and encryption. I mean, that's magic to have your phone refreshed and encrypted. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's a way to add actually do this yourself without leaving your phone for three days.
Speaker 4: Which is kind of unconscionable, but.
Speaker 5: Sure Apple has an inactivity reboot as well, which does a similar thing.
Speaker 3: And I think this is a real benefit to everybody. But you're only going to have that if you get your Google Play system updates.
Speaker 2: I I'm a nerd. I'm so much of a nerd. I know that it usually drops the first Tuesday of the month, which is around If it's after the fifth of the month, it'll usually be available on my phone. And I try to never miss an update for some reason. I don't know, maybe because I think there's gonna be something. There might be something special, a feature drop. It might be so, and you don't know until you, like, open up the cracker box, you know, the cracker Jack box.
Speaker 5: That's the only price you get.
Speaker 3: They have such crappy things in crackerjack boxes these days.
Speaker 4: I didn't even like cracker Jacks. I just wanted the prize. That was it.
Speaker 5: The little plastics germeo popcorn was not appearing to me either. Stuck to your teeth. But anyway, back to this, But you are on Pixel, Yes, I have a Pixel nine a run and Google's Pixel gets the updates first.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: But then you've got Samsung.
Speaker 3: You've got one Plus, which, by the way, one Plus is becoming an up and coming phone.
Speaker 5: I've been looking at their phones. You've seen them.
Speaker 3: Mo I brought us here. They're getting better and better I'm really surprised. So it's good to see somebody because Samsung's kind of been the king of Android.
Speaker 2: They have you know what, and I prefer the Samsung build, but I like the ecosystem of the stripped down Google Pixel phone, and I like getting the updates first.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's the thing. I mean. I like standard Android because when we.
Speaker 3: Read about these updates and the phone has its own skin, is what it's called. Every Android phone has its own skin, like one UI which is Samsung. Right, it comes at different times when the manufacturer decides it's okay to drop it. So this is something you have to you need to do keep checking and also your security updates. I know a case, your phone will say you've got an update waiting, but by then it's been sitting there for a while, right.
Speaker 4: It's probably obsolete already exactly.
Speaker 5: So that's what you want to do.
Speaker 3: Go and check your updates. Features like the theft detection you know when someone grabs it out of your hand, and okay locks, remote lock and offline lock on all Android phones.
Speaker 5: They arrive on the Google Play system update. So you want these cool tricks, get that update.
Speaker 2: When we come back Marshall Calier, what do you think we should cover next?
Speaker 5: I think we should cover what I was going to talk about, and that was my ever growing Google drive. I don't know about you, but I.
Speaker 2: Have multiple Google drives under different logins to add all that space together.
Speaker 5: They haven't figured out it's all you not yet.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess I could put it out there, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but uh yeah, I've been too chicken to do that. I mean, I have a couple, but I like keeping it all in one place because what Steward. There are the backups of your phone. Your phone is backed up regularly. Your Gmail, dear god, my Gmail mailbox is a mess. I mean, with all the promotions that come in and all the updates that come in, there must be forty thousand emails in there. And I'm going to give you some tips on how to get rid of some of this to make some more space on your Google Drive, as well as how many stupid videos have you taken that you really don't want to be keeping up space?
Speaker 2: That's true, and those videos take up space very quickly, very easily. We'll have more with Marshall Collier on this Tech Thursday in just a moment it's Later with Mo Kelly. We're live as you can see on YouTube, and also you can hear us on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 2: Mo Kelly Marshall Collier everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube, and I encourage you to tune into the YouTube live stream right now because Marsha Collier and her be beutiful red hair is just flowing and I like to show her off in that regard and it matches her.
Speaker 4: What is that salmon sweater? I wouldn't say it's pink, but it's.
Speaker 3: Well, it's kind of pink and pink and moth and mo Everything I have is.
Speaker 4: A mothelo lot look. I understand that it happens to most of my suits. Unfortunate. It's like, how did they get in?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 4: Have no idea.
Speaker 5: Have you ever had a smuth hoole fixed?
Speaker 4: Well, I fixed it myself. I just kind of saw it together.
Speaker 3: No, but you know, like you go to a tailor and like really and they do it. And in the old days it was like forty dollars, which was I couldn't afford. But I had it done, you couldn't tell there was I don't know what kind of magic they do.
Speaker 5: A real tailor is a real.
Speaker 2: Artist, and I've been blessed enough to have a suit or two tailored to appreciate the difference.
Speaker 4: But I'm not taking it for a moth hole. I'm just going to sew it up myself or get something else.
Speaker 3: Having clothing tailor, did you know a whole lot of the LAPD and the LAPD reserve, Because I know this for a fact. They get their shirts tailored, so you know they get that perfect line when they're on the bike.
Speaker 2: And the only reason I know that is because when I go to my dry cleaners, you will see nothing but law enforcement.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: You'll see LAPD LA County Sheriff's Department. I'm talking about Milton Eaties, not too far.
Speaker 5: From Milton's Great Cleaners.
Speaker 4: Oh it's great, twenty four to seven, you know, yeah.
Speaker 5: One thousand dollars, but you know.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's not seat but you're paying for the for the convenience of being open all the top.
Speaker 5: Quality is absolutely great. Cleaner. Thank you for sending us the coupon.
Speaker 2: No, I know we've just spent half the segment talking about clothes and tailoring.
Speaker 4: But what do you want to pick up Google photos?
Speaker 5: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: Well, let's start first with we store our stuff in Google Cloud, right, Google Drive, iCloud if you are on an Apple phone and dropbox or drop dot com, which is also always nagging me to buy more. But I've got stuff up on there and it gets expensive. Google Drive gives you fifteen gigabytes for free, and that sounds oh, I'm happy I have free space. That's so cool, But I have to tell you it fills up because, as I said, email that is so upsetting, because do you delete everything?
Speaker 5: Do you go through all those little folders every day?
Speaker 2: It's the emails and the attachments may be connected to them, it may be sent to you, it still adds up in your Google Drive.
Speaker 5: Right, and that's my file cabinet.
Speaker 3: So for example, you can do universal drops and just say hey, I'm going to delete. But I use my Gmail as a file cabinet, so I can reference emails from two thousand and eight that are on a certain topic and has saved my day a lot. So I don't do general deletes, but what you can do, let's say you like those emails from best Buy. I occasionally like them, but they send them every day every day, best Buy people. Really that's not helping your case. Trust me, we don't need them every day. So in order to delete those, type in the bar from with a colon a's two dots, you know, it's on the right of the keyboard and best Buy.
Speaker 5: Click.
Speaker 3: You will get all the emails that are in your box from best Buy. Then you tap a little dot on the top left top left yft and it puts check marks in all the way down. Hit the delete button and you'll get a warning that'll say, you know you have more than just on this page.
Speaker 5: Would you like to delete them all?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 5: Yes, I would all of them.
Speaker 3: And it does take time, so you know, don't keep poking the delete button because it does take a while, especially if there are a lot of them. And that's what I'll do occasionally, you know, like during lunch, I'll pick a brand and okay, guys, you're done, you're out. You're out, And it doesn't really clean up enough. I still have tens of hundreds of emails, just like crazy, but I don't want to lose anything important.
Speaker 2: One thing I noticed in that delete function it allows me to not only delete, but also and maybe this is relatively new, not not very new, it will automatically unsubscribe me if I ask it to as well.
Speaker 3: Right, and do you ever just before you hit that unsubscribed button say, oh, maybe I don't want to do this because maybe the maybe I like this email.
Speaker 2: Rarely almost never though, yeah, I get a lot of those are unsolicited. It's like, wait a bitte, I didn't sign up for this. You might have signed up for one of their partner sites or something, or bought something else and you're on.
Speaker 3: The list right right, And I thought we were supposed to be able to agree to our emails, but oh no, that's in the terms of service and the privacy policy. The twenty pages of scrolling ten point type that you're never going to read.
Speaker 4: You have to scroll to the bottom so you can hit accept. That's right, those are the rules.
Speaker 3: And you can't get into the program and click except no, no, no no. When you're in Google Photos, this is an awful mess too. In the old days, we used to be able to see the bad pictures when we pick them up from photomat photo maat.
Speaker 4: We don't know what photo maat is I'm about to explain.
Speaker 3: Okay, Photo Maat was a little place that had kiosks in parking lots and inside they'd have a guy and a machine. You'd drop off physical film and the guy would deliver the next day or later, within an hour, prints of your pictures.
Speaker 5: So this was all automated. It was all very cool.
Speaker 3: You had to pay what was it like, thirty cents a picture?
Speaker 4: It was something. It was ridiculously it was inexpensive.
Speaker 5: It was inexpensive.
Speaker 3: But the point was you sometimes got rolls back where one picture was good out of twenty four disappointing. So we have it so much better this day, and we store them up in Google Drive. You need to go through there every once in a while, and I must have I'm pushing one hundred thousand pictures. When they are stored in Google Drive, they are stored at a lower resolution, which means if I ever have grandchildren, they're going to have these fuzzy pictures of me, and that's that's the way it's going to be. Grandma's going to be fuzzy, which probably better idea, but you got to realize that.
Speaker 5: Every time you take a picture, every time you do a.
Speaker 3: Screenshot and the way you can get around uploading everything because I don't like to upload my screenshots because screenshots.
Speaker 5: Are usually notes to myself.
Speaker 3: What I do is you go tap your picture the upper right side of Google Gmail, click settings and not Gmail, I am so sorry, Google Photos, google Photos app. You click that and you can select which of your photo albums you want to back up. So I just unclick the one for screenshots because screenshots I do right, and I don't save the pictures from my book, which is a little difficult. So you just have to be careful in what you're uploading. But to unload a bunch of stuff, sometimes you could go up there and you can sort with giving you the details, which we don't have a whole lot of time for. But you can sort large attachments on Gmail. And you can also recover storage by looking for your movies, which Moe and I were talking about. You may have downloaded a movie you can't read on an Android device anyway, right because there's different formats, just delete them because I mean just an audio file that lasts twenty eight minutes, that can be twenty megabytes, twenty megabytes. You have enough of those if you have a podcast. Why don't you move those to a hard drive, you know, if you want to archive your podcast, don't keep them there and keep backing them up to go well, because you don't need to be paying for that.
Speaker 2: I'd only add one thing, make sure that you also empty your trash, yes, because if you don't empty from the trash, it's still thinking that it's they are.
Speaker 3: Right, and you don't know if it's monitoring how much you have in it when it comes to time to rebill you. Because the pricing. Just so you know, we said fifteen gigabytes free. Nice, but a dollar ninety nine a month for one hundred gigabytes that's my sweet spot.
Speaker 5: I think it's great.
Speaker 3: I've only got about forty gigabytes up there, and I've been using it since the beginning, So twenty nine ninety nine a year is.
Speaker 5: I like it. It's a good idea. But then two ninety nine a month for two hundred gigabytes if you really are picture hoarder or data hoarder, and two terabytes for nine ninety nine a month, and you can store a whole lot into terrorbytes.
Speaker 2: Some great, great tips and some tricks and some advice that we all can use starting right now. You don't have to be a tech expert of guru like Marshall Collier. You can do it right now and make your life easier without buying unnecessary storage.
Speaker 3: I hope everybody likes the tips that I give each week because they're kind of basic tips, but we forget them.
Speaker 2: How can they reach out to you if they want to know more? I know you have a large fan base who interacts with you.
Speaker 3: Marshacollier dot com. Go to the contact page and you can reach me through there and.
Speaker 4: She responds a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marshall call, You're always good to see you look fabulous.
Speaker 4: Thank you for coming in studio with us.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Mosia.
Speaker 1: Next week you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty