Speaker 1: How much is a sausage and chip where you are?
Speaker 2: Too much? I took the kids to the chip shop the other day and it, honestly, it costs like Liberia's deficit. It was insane.
Speaker 1: Thing's too expensive now, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, sausage and batter?
Speaker 2: You buy one? You think I'm never going to financially recover from this?
Speaker 3: Now? It's crazy. I couldn't agree more. There is the cost of living crisis that Labor kept going on about is still alive and well now. And it's funny how they've managed to go and shut up about it because everything at supermarkets is just expensive and crap, and I don't exactly know why, but it is.
Speaker 1: I would argue.
Speaker 2: That it's not it's I mean a sausage and chips. You're basically just existing. I mean that's not cost of living. You ain't living eating sausage and chips.
Speaker 3: Wow, there you go.
Speaker 1: You see, we'll drive around the country quite a lot at the moment for our different work things, so we probably all have to frequent service stations. I literally can't afford anything in there now. I'd end up brewing up coffee with the the battery powered coffee grinder on the tailgate of the land Rover in the car park on a gas stove instead of going into startup or wherever.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, it's yes. Everything is very expensive and wages, to my mind, haven't gone up. I can't suddenly turn around and go and charge you know, that much more for what I do. It just doesn't doesn't work. No one's every Everyone seems to be prepared to charge higher prices, and so you're going to have to lump here, but they're not prepared to pay higher fees for the services that you provide.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the day rates haven't gone up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same, isn't it. No, I'm just going to nip off and get a drink a sec and night be back. Hold on, hold on, do.
Speaker 1: You think he knows that we're recording? So, dear listener, this is what it's like most of the time. You know, we we have all of it, We have everything on screen in front of him. He knows it's recording. It says recording. There's a little counter there that says recording. It's flashed down five four three two one when I hit record, and here we are. This is this is real life. This is real time.
Speaker 2: What do you think he drinks? What's a summer quencher for Richard?
Speaker 1: Nigus laichi juice? I think juice laichi.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a bit out there, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It was going to be exotic, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Do you know what he's done as well? He's put his he's put his mouthpiece close to his headphones, so all I can hear is myself be repeated back in a three second Suffolk delay directly into the microphone.
Speaker 1: Well, this is you know what you sound like now in an opulently appointed, hand carved oak extension conservatory thing. This is what you sound like.
Speaker 2: Via a microphone that was taken from a pound shop bargain bin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Richard, do you know that we're recording?
Speaker 3: Yes? And now I didn't. Sorry, we've been recording minutes. It's okay, that's all. That's all staying in. I'm back. I've just got myself an elderflower cordial it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're trying to guess what you were drinking. I should have had a good go at that, Amy guest. Lemon barley water, lemon barley water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see that in. Yeah, he's very old school, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go out and say that you're probably not a black currant fan. I think you're more of an orange elderflower. Call deal, and you know, the more botanical variety.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, the right cross to the bank. Guns on pegs don't have this problem. They seem to be just polished all the way through Farmers Weekly.
Speaker 3: Why no, because they pre record all the stuff Farmers Weekly. It's all very slickly edited together. You know, there's and there's all recorded in chunks and guns on pegs they just sworn about in London and sort of where they've got high internet speeds. That's what I heard anyway, you know, basically they're just sat in some Kensington drinking den.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I heard that they were just entirely AI generated. I think Avian is an entirely AI generated model of a human being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah, yeah, it's it's not real, it's not legit. It's not like us, you know, wats and all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, callum, have you had any VEG related disasters recently?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So as of my last week's attempt at going to a shoot and then breaking down and having a what when what was it.
Speaker 1: That was a mechanical breakdown, not an emotional one this time.
Speaker 2: I mean you could use it across both. Really, where I was stuck on the A one twenty after the first long journey and my new car, which I bought from what did you call it? Deceased spec? Yes, got it on a very bargain price because the man stopped driving for a long time and then he died. And ironically I found a DVD in the Kenwood DVD player that said longevity through exercise, which I'm not sure if that worked or didn't work. The jury's out on that.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm imagining if he's dead. If he's dead, I'm going for it. It didn't work? Is that I?
Speaker 2: Headphones? So did we catch zero of what Niga said?
Speaker 1: Headphone? I don't know I heard it. I was waiting for you to come back in this.
Speaker 3: Is sheet's going off Champs.
Speaker 1: It might be Calum this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it might be me as soon as Callum comes on. Is he like stealing all our country Internet? Because when I'm speaking with you, it's all fine, Richard, But then Callum comes on and he like comes in. He did vote labor, didn't he? He did vote labor? Perhaps they've given them special internet that if you stealing our country internet, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've got very good rural internet here, but we are constantly in danger of it going off every time that the hedgecutter comes past, because there's a very droopy fiber optic cable, so at some point it's going to snag and all the Internet would disappear.
Speaker 2: Dear listener, if you could just spare the three pounds for you can get Richard Nigis internet that will allow him to continue to record like a normal podcaster. Podcasters in this country are seriously under threat, especially rural ones that can't have the Internet. You can support us via country slide, dot co do dot uk slash support.
Speaker 1: Thank you for a man who I've said this many times before, for a man whose income increasingly relies on his ability to sit in front of the laptop and type and send things through an Internet connection. He has spent more on wine in the last week I think than he has spent on laptops in the last year.
Speaker 3: Yes, that would be fair to stay.
Speaker 2: What's the matter? What's happening? Do you remember what was the thing with Victor Meldrew in it? One foot in the grave. Remember that.
Speaker 1: I do remember that, Callum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that that was actually like an autobiographical sort of thing. But obviously Richard Nigas is living that in a different timeline.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't know Victor Meldrew's day job before he retired was a hedge layer. So, Callum, whilst we're waiting for him, do you want to keep on telling us about your car.
Speaker 2: So rich we might actually get a story out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, decease spec Come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, disease deceased spec car. And I broke down on the A one two n T on the way to Simon Garnum, so I'll give you a little talk about that. It's funny. So I went to go to his house and then I broke down, and we were going to do like an evening bit of fishing, and well, obviously I just broke down. So I'm on the side of the motorway. I tucked myself away in. They asked me if I was somewhere safe, and I was like, well, not really. I'm sort of on a verge of the of a very fast dual carriageway and the only shelter I have is a rose bush, which, if you know, no lorries don't don't get stopped by sort of rose bushes, which also meant I couldn't climb It was so dense I couldn't climb up anywhere to get out of the way, just very dangerously close to the car. So obviously AA still took four hours to come and get me on a priority, high priority.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, you know I said kids in the car, They ended up just leaving, so that was that because there was you know, it was a half hour away whatever, so they ended up leaving kids in the car. They thought that was perfectly fine. Ended up towing me to a garage, and the garage had the car for like two or three days. I ended up having to get a lift back from the garage to home at like midnight. It then, what's the rest of the story. My brain's gone dead. Yeah, got back home. They took like three or four days to fit a new fuel injector and got the car back, and then I drove to the train station yesterday with a strong smell of fuel, and then I drove home with an equally strong smell of fuel. Lifted the bonnet up to see that there was fuel pulling in the top of the engine bay, which I don't know a lot about cars, but that's bad.
Speaker 1: Generally the fuel is meant to be in the contained system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I had guessed that. I'm not a car expert, but I know fee'll be bad.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So has it been resolved now?
Speaker 2: He's sitting on the drive. In the meantime, my dog died, So it's been It's been a tough one.
Speaker 1: If your wife leaves you now, you are a country and Western song, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah? Do you leave me with a keen old now?
Speaker 1: And now we're going to try and check in with our Suffolk correspondent, Richard Nigus.
Speaker 3: Broad Sword calling Danny Boy, broad Sword calling Danny Boy. Can you hear me, Danny?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he's back, excellent, receiving you strength to hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yes?
Speaker 2: Did you turn it off and on again?
Speaker 3: Well, I've tried it with my phone. That didn't work. I tried it with all sorts of things. I don't know what the matter with it is.
Speaker 1: Miss.
Speaker 3: I think it were shut. I thought we had quite good internet. I do some things. Why I talk to other people, you know, with zoom and teams and things and it seems to work all right, But I don't know. It doesn't like this podcast. I think it's I think it's probably sabotaged. I think guns on pegs of sabotage the internet.
Speaker 1: In Finningham we are hitting the guns on pegs sort of seo quite well here on search terms, just on words used, we're doing quite well. Do you know that is a thing, Yeah, for podcasts and videos and YouTube and things like that, that if you say things like finance, finance, mortgage, mortgage, beauty products, beauty products eighteen to twenty five years range, and use all these keywords, it will be AI will pick you up and promote you more.
Speaker 2: I listened to the podcast the other day and I got an advert for a crypto thing. I was like, yeah, hopefully we've got a few quid for that big finance.
Speaker 3: I listened to an episode the other day and I got an advert sent to me for a beer soaked towel. So obviously dwell flonking is must be a search term that chap GPT now understands.
Speaker 2: You're like, you're like that key demographic that soon you'll be getting targeted adverts for like over fifties pension plan, funeral plans, and you'll probably get action slacks, you know the type of boards the Yeah, the slippers that have got the velcrow and you're don't have to do any sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Zip up tart and booty slippers with the integral heating.
Speaker 3: Well do you know, oh we forgot about the stair lift, yes, Stannard. Well, you know it's quite interesting actually, is that the day I turned fifty I started getting advertverts coming to me for Saga Holidays. So you know they seem to think I want to go on cruises and catch Legionnaire's disease whilst tall the Fjords of Norway in a boat with a load of sort of people whose hobbies are golf. No, not really, my bag man.
Speaker 1: I suppose that was a memorable day for you as well, because you know, you turned fifty. You looked up at the radio there was Margaret Thatcher just becoming Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: And obviously you know, I remember I was laughing that day I turned fifty. George Formby had just bought something out which made me chuckle. You know, he was on there on the stage at glaston Grill. No, he was on the stage at Glastonbury again, can let's go and kill the Nazis? He was going, No, he never did that, did he? But it seems to me that it's all right now. If you're going to be a pop star, I got to go and advise that you kill people. So when we're actually fighting real Nazis, then singers don't go and tell us let's go and kill Nazis. But well, do you know what I'm talking about that?
Speaker 2: I would say the sex Pistols and the punk movement probably did a little bit of political campaigning.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think they did. I wouldn't disagree with that. I think that, however, they were certainly the alternative. You know, I'm old enough to remember when the punks used to be about for real, you know, I was what six seven years old when the sex Pistols suddenly arrived on the scene. And but everyone was just horrified that these people came about. But it is a fair point, you know, it hasn't been. It isn't a new thing that musicians do so things.
Speaker 2: This is the thing I like, they're all going on about it because it's you know, it's it's a slove newsweek. Other than World War three and that they all go on about it, but like I was just I was trying to think of controversial people. And then we had Morrissey now England for the English from the National Front Disco.
Speaker 3: That's pretty rough, but I suppose anti Semitism that's not you you know, that's not really quite normal. And when you then go and see a load of sort of Trustefarians all stand jumping around in the field shouting back that they, you know, let's go and kill the Israeli Defense Force. I think that was quite a new one. But worse still, worse still that chat Bob villain real name something double barreled comes from Ipswich. I mean, god, he's really let the suffolk side down. We're not We're not anti Seamites here, We're not, you know, it's how bad.
Speaker 1: Bob Villain's real name is Pascal Robinson Foster.
Speaker 3: Sands like the Cox for the second eleven second eight to eton, doesn't he It.
Speaker 1: Does sound like something from a sort of a Leslie Nielsen film.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a levels of ridiculousness that we have. Now. The other thing is that the thing with like punks and stuff like that, if you were in London in certain scenes in the seventies into the eighties, they were everywhere. If you were in I don't know, rural Somerset, they were nowhere. And I think it's we almost through media and through media talking about something from five years ago, ten years ago, or a film set in the seventies or eighties, they put stuff into that to say this is definitely shows London in the seventies. Look, we've got punks in the background, whereas they weren't as prevalent as those films make out. And that's probably what we're seeing here with all this is stuff like that is said all over the place in small areas. It's just this time it happened to be broadcast on the BBC, and that's what we're seeing here. So it's not something that was said for the first time. It's just hearing it now. But lots of other stuff is said by other people saying other ridiculous, bloody things.
Speaker 3: I think as well, there's a little bit of a backlash fine finally, a backlash against what is perceived as a bunch of rich, right on people, you know, spending four hundred quid on a ticket that is one of the few outdoor events that the BBC still cover. You know, they say they can't afford to go and do Oh no, we can't afford to do the Grand National. No we can't afford to do any ashes test matches. No we can't afford to do the Six Nations. But oh yes, we can send four hundred crew to this thing, all filled with you know, young people and bands being rude. We can afford to do that. And I think there's a bit of a backlashes that people. It's the same reason why Reformer high in the polls, and you know, Rupert Lowe came on and said, oh, we're all going to do this thing. It's not a party, but it's sort of a party and we're going to go. And there's loads of people who are just saying, I think we've had enough of all this. And in a way Glastonbury has taken the kicking for it rightly probably and wrongly as well, because I don't think everyone goes there, you know, with the intention of being a git like that. Bob Villain clearly were a knee cap. Don't be started on them, because you know, I've not got a great relationship with Irish Republicans, so therefore.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say, were your kneecaps.
Speaker 3: My knees, were my knees, I'll be fighting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So talking talking of spending a lot of money to go to a field, you're off to ground Swell. I am.
Speaker 3: I am off to ground Swell, which I have to say, I think is a fascinating show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I think that it's it's basically, for those who don't know, ground Swell is the big regenerative farming show and it has huge numbers selling. Okay, well, region farming is the most important probably seed change step in farming of late is people who are trying to go and farm more sustainably, more environmentally friendly, just generally trying to go and farm with nature better. And it's it starts in twenty sixteen, relatively small, a lot of farmers just as you say, well, it's basically hobby farmers or hobby or farmers in sandals and that sort of thing. As all the hippies go there, and it's now it's a very big event of which all the big boys go to and there's lots of talks. Yes, there's a lot of snake oil salesman saying, O would just add this sort of essence of seaweed to your field and your yield will go up. Or just plant nut trees everywhere. Don't worry, I won't get in the way of the combine harvest. But no, I think it's fascinating that. So I'm going to be talking there in the bookworm stand tent on Thursday. So I've already have spoken by the time you listen to this, talking about hedgerows and surprise price and my book surprise price.
Speaker 2: But no, it would be goodlet's it about hell, we.
Speaker 3: Already done that one. We will have done that one. Yeah, So I think it's I think it's gonna be a good show. And I guess it's like, you know what the game fair is for people who have some semblance of interest in in in the countryside. This is very much for people who've got a semblance of interest in farming. It's not cheap to go, but it has lots of very interesting talkers, guest sort of lecturers who will go and talk through their stuff. What they do this is, this is how I did this, and this is how it works. You could try this on your soil, YadA YadA ya. Yeah, I think on the whole. I give it a eight and a half out of ten as a place that's worth visiting once. If you're a real saddo like me and really into this stuff, I think it's a it's a thing to go to every year.
Speaker 2: Eight out of ten on the places you'd go to visit once scales.
Speaker 3: No, no, No, eight and a half. I said out of ten that you ought to go to once in your life. It's one of those things that if you only go once and take it for what it is, you know it's there to teach you, to show you how you can do this, and there's no point going and sort of not going because even if you save you're a very traditionalist farmer and you say, now I'm not going to go and get rid of my plow, Well go and see all these other guys going and see what the alternatives are. And if you are one of these anti anti farming sort of types, you need to go there and need to see what people are doing. And if you're a staunch environmentalist who believes you know the work at the end of the world is nigh, well let's go and see. And then you want to blame farming all the time as the reason why the polar bears are dying or something. We'll go and see grounds and see what people are doing who rather than just gobbing off and going on protests, go and see people who are actually doing something. And I think that that would be the answer. But I think Richard observed earlier on something very sensible about how actually the vast majority of people just aren't interested in what we do in the countryside, won't you.
Speaker 1: Richard, Yeah, the sort of it's also this horseshoe theory of online debate that the two polarized ends of the discussion end up arguing with each other because actually their positions are not too far apart. They are the extremes of the argument, but they're the ones always arguing with each other, and then the big group in the middle don't even know that there's an argument going on, or that they're just sort of The countryside is somewhere you drive through on the way between towns and occasionally visit.
Speaker 3: And do you think that this recent debate they had in Westminster on grouse shooting is a prime example of that.
Speaker 1: I think it is. I mean, it was a big while Justice brought it as part of their petition and forced a debate, and then there was a lot of defense from the shooting organizations in preparation for it, some of which we had I think a small part of, yeah, you know, very tiny part of but you know, this podcast and particularly the efforts of more important people, more people have worked a hell of a lot harder than we have. Who know who they are, we'll talk about them later. They they all put on this very good defense of the ecological and conservation side of grouse shooting, and you know, it turned out to be nothing. But if you had been a member of our Patreon WhatsApp group, you would have seen a little bit of that discussion over the last couple of days, because that's one of the perks that you get by being a patron of this podcast. Then you can go to countryslide dot co dot UK forward slash support, as Callum may or may not have mentioned earlier, depending on how the edit for this podcast turned out, that's where you can go. You can find out how to sign up. It's only three pounds per month. It's not very much, but you get early access to the episodes, add free episodes and you get the all the bits that we cut out at the end that are possibly career ruining. And it has been interesting to see who has been signing up to hear what we say, because you know, we are very careful about what we say on this podcast, and we could lose our careers. So we're putting it behind a pay wall of three pounds because that will save it. But that that money.
Speaker 2: Goes towards that makes be less inclined.
Speaker 3: To do today.
Speaker 1: He ate the sales, he ate the sales. I'm trying to tease our enemies into giving us three quid. And we've got our WhatsApp group in there as well, so you can join that WhatsApp group and you can.
Speaker 2: It's Twitter, good Twitter, good.
Speaker 1: Twitter, pre covid twitter, pre musk, Twitter where any sort of rural topics that discose. Some people share photos of what they're doing, and I put up a drone landscape photo of where we lived last night. And then there was a conversation about politicians and conservation, and then someone's talking about roguing out oats and what else have we got in there? At the moment someone's asking about diet and is the were the diets of our not of our very recent ancestors. In the British countryside. Was it healthier than we have now because of less access to diverse foods? You know, there's all these topics of conversation going on, so you really do need to join that if you're listening, But you won't get any adverts, although you still get the bit like this where we're asking you to sign up for the Patreon but you're already signed up to This day is in.
Speaker 3: Good adverts, the good adverts. This is good. This is a bit more like you know, you know, we're back in the seventies. You used to have those public service information films and so.
Speaker 1: You know you still have about that.
Speaker 3: Oh we see you. You're too young, aren't you. Yeah? Oh yeah, Well basically what used to have back in the seventies you had these things called public service information films and they used to come on and they would advise children like not to go into electric substations. But they were wonderfully gory. Jimmy frisbee, he throws a frisbee up in the air and he climbs up onto onto a electric power station and then gets fried. And and you had like the grim Reaper stood by the side.
Speaker 2: Of old people in Facebook groups. They absolutely love looking back at nostalgias, not like it was your mind day. Yeah, kids used to throw frisbees into service stations. I read a thing about about the Blitz and how kids used to get locked in freezers and dying because they used to play around in freezers and they had locks on them. Just climb inside, have a little jolly up and then nobody would hear them. Screen.
Speaker 3: We didn't have freezers during the war.
Speaker 2: Cool deear we bridges bridges if.
Speaker 1: You if you like this kind of thing I was. I just want to plug for no other reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plug plug your thing gone mate.
Speaker 1: Scarred for lifebooks dot com and they have a podcast as well, and they've done a couple of books all about this about how if you grew up in the sixties through to the eighties, you were terrified by the government through information, so everything from nuclear war through to uh, who was going to help me cross the road? Was it Gary Glitter?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: That was was the Green Cross co Shaking Steves shaking Stevens Hey better still better still? Learn to swim? Rolf Harris. Rolf Harris was stood by the sat by the side of a pool. Okay, when I was a kid. My dad just threw me in the billabong and that's how I learned to swim. Now you need nad Ale to help you. And he's got him sort of holding this girl in the water and helping her to swim. I mean, I'm not being funny, but see, actually here is an interesting thing. My brother is thirteen years older than me. He said that Gary Glitter lived in our dustbin, right, and because we thought he was rubbish, all right, and he used to take me out into the garden, hold me by my ankles over the bin and say I'll go to send you to Gary Glitter. Right. Fast forward twenty years and we now realize if Gary Glitter had been in that bin and there was a sort of you know, eighteen year old bloke dangling a small child over over a bin saying Gary, come and get Richard, he'd have gone, yes, come and be in my gang. He would have been a whole different sort of public service information film. I'll tell you that for nothing, not the sort you want to do.
Speaker 2: You want to know a really really funny little anecdote.
Speaker 1: Go on, please anything after that? Anything, take us away.
Speaker 2: My aunt. It's not that funny actually, but now it is quite flakey. My aunt got run over, yeah, with the green Cross code and she was reading it and not looking where she was going. So she got over it really badly damaged her foot. And now she's got one foot slightly shorter than the other.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, there you go. You know who the Greek cross cove man was, don't you?
Speaker 1: Darth Vader wasn't it? It was Darth Vader, Yeah, proper West country MANA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was. And so they obviously they did a voice over because he was called guy called David Prows, right, and he spoke like that, right, and I won't always be there when you cross the road. And so he did all the he did all the voice and stuff for Darth Vader. And then I think when they actually looked at the rushes and they went and said, you're a terrible man, Darth Vader. And I don't think Mickey Mouse is in it to be fair, but anyway, because a princess, a terrible princess, Leah is talking to this sort of you know, evil dark lord of the of of of wherever he is, Darth Vader, and he then comes out and go, you're going to reveal or you're secrets or I'll go and use my special grid up on you. And that's why they had to put a different voice over the top because he you know, he looked quite menacing, but soon he his mouth, he just sounded like he was a roadie for the Wurs.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Britain's best rural podcast.
Speaker 3: Excellent after these messages anyway, So I think have.
Speaker 2: We covered off with colored perfect script.
Speaker 1: Cars, injectors, roses by roadsides, ground swell.
Speaker 3: And getting your foot run over by the green Cross cross code, gar Rolf Harris, Gary Glitter. That's just the sort of things these are. These are the cutting edge.
Speaker 2: The title for this episode be Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris and other things we care not to talk delicious and other things our parents told us not to talk about.
Speaker 1: We hear these things when people about people and neurodiversity and ADHD and things like that, and there saying why is that ADHD suddenly everywhere? And one of the arguments for that is no, it was always there, it was just it came out in other ways. I think this podcast is a kind of proof of that principle.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to say, I'm just.
Speaker 1: It's like herding cats. Anyway, we have a topic sort of which is started by Richard's latest Scribe Hound piece. Not my one about psychedelics and mandrad root and things like that. Richard had one about well it's not quite the duplicity of politicians, but it was a bit of a scoop. So can you explain what it is and where you got it from?
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you. The reason it is a scoop and it's one of these things that falls beneath fell beneath the radar because the Labor Party had such a monstrous, great big majority of the last general election. I discovered courtesy of meat. I was sent to press release by the GWCT asking me if I would write an article or pitch to some of the newspapers I write for about some of the research that they have done ostensibly and particularly their Otterburn study, which was very very interesting. In this Otterburn study, what they did was they were trying to prove that predator control is essential if you are going to save red listed species. And upper Otterburn up there in the far North, they did a twenty year study over three thousand hectares of moorland and they carried out predator control for half of that time, for ten years, and they counted the breeding success of various species. Then they stopped doing the predator control. They had exactly the same habitat exactly the self saying food sources, so there was plenty to it. And what they discovered is the decade after the predator control had ended that golden plover numbers had dropped by eighty one percent, snipe by seventy six percent, red grouse by seventy one, lap wing forty nine percent, curly you by twenty four percent, and the poor old black grouse and gray partridge up there had gone extinct completely. So Andrew Hoodless, who's the gwct's head of research, basically said, well, there we go. We've proved that these species drop off a cliff if you haven't got predator control. That then tied this up with a similar piece of research they've been doing for thirty years at Loddington in Leicestershire, at the Allerton project there, and they found that in some circumstances when they stopped doing the predator control that declines had happened by ninety percent. So they qed basically said, and I think this is The killer is that if you think so much of the work that I do and you do Richard is funded to a greater or lesser degree by government grant. What they were basically saying was that if you don't have predator control in yes, you're going to lose all these species. But also for everybody this matters because it's a complete waste of tax payers money because you ain't ever going to get the successes because basically these things get eaten by Corvid's foxes, muster lids, gray squirrels, brown rats. That's it. So it was. It was a pretty cut and dry piece of research, right, So that was it was interesting. They presented it they being the GWCT, presented it to DEFRA. Def went, yeah, this actually does make a huge sense. They then DEFRA went and gave it to at the time Steve Barkley was the was the DEFRA Secretary of State back then. Because the Conservatives are in he said, yes, this makes absolute sense. The House of Lords Lord he went yeah, yes. Robbie Douglas Millery went, yes, absolutely, We're with this. This seems completely The sciences is spot on, The money makes sense. We're going to do it now. They then gave it to Rishie Sunac's office, and that happened to be full rather unfortunate that Sunak had just announced that we're going to have a general election, and one of Suonak's spad's parliamentary advisors she ran our eye over it and went, oh, dear, no, no, no, we can't possibly put this one forward because we're going to have headlines reading farmers paid to kill wildlife by Tories. We couldn't possibly have that, and it will probably cost too much anyway. So Sunak decided to veto the idea, despite the fact all the science said it that His Secretary of State Ford Dephra said, this makes sense, Boss. The House of Lords will with it. Yes, this makes sense, Prime Minister. Yet Sunak, who everyone's saying what a great friend to grouse shooting is and all this, like, well, clearly he's not that much of a friend for wildlife. So it's very easy. And I'm the first to jump on labor saying, you know, Rachel Reeves kills yellow hammers, I think quotes Richard Nigis. But it's also he's the Lorax.
Speaker 2: He speaks for the trees.
Speaker 3: The Tories are just as bad. They were so petrified that they might have had a negative bit of pr that they overturned this. So we're still going with DEFRA funding which is essentially bad for wildlife and it's not cost effective for the taxpayer, courtesy of a bit of pearl clutching from the previous Prime minister. So I wrote about this Inscribehander. But I think it's interesting is that I've now asked this question of I've sent this article to the current DEFRA Secretary, I've sent it to the spokesman for Reform, I've spent it, sent it to the shadow DEFRO secretary, and I wait to see their responses, which would be the follow up to it.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen a Mondo e nucciese the thick of it? Yes, that's pretty much a documentary, yeah, of what Whitehall and Parliament is like, from everything I can tell and from everyone I know who works there, who shouldn't be telling me things but they do. This is sometimes when I come into conflict with people in our world, when we talk about policy and saying, you know, well, we had this politician up here and they thought this is no they told you that they might actually think about themselves what they'll actually do when their boss or when their party says you need to stand in front of a camera, stand up in parliament and say this or write this down and say this is your policy will be decided either by a spad, a specialist advisor as you said, or a think tank who have been paid to do something like that, or how rebellious they're backbenches at that time, depending on how important they are. As Kish Staarhmer found out last week, the.
Speaker 2: What politicians as well other industry to have a hell of a lot of sway lobbyists they do.
Speaker 1: Lobbyists, Yeah, well that's comms and pr people and specialist comms, but they're sort of plugged into the SPADs as well.
Speaker 2: This not a sentence I'll never get tired of hearing.
Speaker 1: No, but it's it's almost like this corporate thinking is there in has been there in government for a long time, at least twenty years now. And when I moaned about and say, well, it's not just tories or labor or whatever, it's this entire system. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: That the labor thing, like why did labor get in power? Because exactly as you say, there's people that have had politicians say oh yeah, we're going to do to their face, probably largely conservative politicians that didn't do exactly what they said to their face. Quite a lot of these politicians are just blatant liars. So then everyone voted labor, well, largely a lot of people voted labor because they're all full of shit. That's mostly why you've got Keir Starmer.
Speaker 3: Because I agree that now.
Speaker 2: I would hazard a guess that forty of the population is just voting, not voting for labor, voting against bullshitters that sit in an office tell you one thing to to the face and then don't deliver on any of the promises they make.
Speaker 1: I think the ian the labour getting in last time is pretty much most people can accept that it's not necessary that labor ward and it's that everyone else lost. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, they're slice carried on the scene. This So this is this is the future of politics. And we've got this thing with reform at the moment, and there's a new hang on. We've got another party started this week and then and then a right wing movement as well. Yeah, so the populist right between in Britain I think is spread over about six parties now because there's Homeland and reform and I've lost track of what the others are. I'm largely a political now in sort of I don't like anyone. I'm just sort of cauld you be agnostic with hate. I don't know. But I'm more interested in the system overall and how the system works. And this thing I mean, sort of that thing that Richie Sunac does not surprise me at all because it's almost it's a scoop, and it's a really good scoop, and it's it's a massive part of how policy is affected. Yes, but that has to be reflected on the other side as well. When people are trying to make trying to lobby for farming, lobby for the countryside, lobby for conservation, they have to understand how the system works. And this whole thing of we just show people the science and then they'll get it. Yes, unless one person looks at it and goes, yes, science doesn't matter. I don't think people are like you killing foxes and years of research is wasted.
Speaker 3: Utterly, utterly. That it's the thing that the guy who actually wrote the policy or the law, the jargonese in law for the Hunting Act was an Orthodox Jewish chap, very well respected Silk, and he said that when he actually penned the copy for the Hunting Act, he said, he goes. I realized, he said, for the first time in my life, I was making law not for the people but for the sake of the governing party at the time. And he said, that is not good law. So he's utterly disinterested in fox hunting. He's got nothing to do with it. But he realized that laws were being made not to improve the welfare of foxes, but just to basically pander to a group of labor MPs who at the time thought this will kick the toffs. And I think too often you become you know, obsessed by with Sunak. Clearly here his spad was worried. The biggest worry in her head was that there would be a headline Tories paying farmers to kill wildlife. That's what they worried about. It wasn't actually that they were worried about. The wildlife was failing, or indeed worse still, if you're going to be completely you know, financially driven by that tax payers money, that so much of that budget of our cash which goes on paying for mugs like me to do what I do, and farmers drilling AB eight and ABY nine, creating new ponds, creating meadow lands. YADDR is all for nothing because we don't actually see biodiversity gain because it gets eaten by generalist predators, of which there are too many. And that doesn't make any sense. And even if you are an ardent rewilder, you would agree that, because that's one of the reasons why they want to release wolves and links everywhere, is because they're saying, well, the wolves and lynx will reduce the deer population, but also they will either kill or disperse the predators that we have because there isn't this natural balance. We don't have an apex predator here anymore. Well, okay, so let's say they're right and the answer is wolves and lynx until such time as they are all released, then surely we're still the only people standing. So therefore, whether you're an rewilder or you're more like us that you are a sort of intervention is three legged stool conservationist. We all agree that we have an over abundance of generalist predators, and it's very interesting and I think it goes back to what Richard was saying is that on the whole, I don't think that the general public are that interested in nature really, and politicians probably pick up on that and that they're more worried about the fact that the public are only really interested in nature if it's seen that nasty men are going to be killing it. And it's a sad old state of affairs.
Speaker 1: I mean, going back to this bad thing, it's easy to overlook how much personality and personal desire just in one or two people really dictates policy. Now, to take a jump over, you've heard of the Boris wave of immigration, so this was sort of mid lockdown changes in immigration rules that Boris put through Dominic Cummings, who was a spad I suppose was his quote for Boris was that he wanted Dominic to open the floodgates on immigration and visas because he wanted the Financial Times to like him again, and that was that was that was his quote about why he wanted that to happen. A lot of the lockdown stuff came down to the decisions of two or three people. I mean, this is all a matter of record now, and this isn't some conspiracy theory. Not it's just you know, this is en Hansard, this is this is recorded. It's just everything moves on so quickly we forget about it. But a lot of this stuff really does come down to people's personal desires and how they think the world works. So if somebody thinks that people won't will never get behind the idea of legal predator control, then that will be off the table forever, because I'll never ask the public either. And surveys have always been wrong. A survey says this, well, out of we rang three hundred people who were at home all day, in the middle of the day and have got time to answer a thirty minute survey. Right, That's it's not really exactly it's not a good section of society.
Speaker 2: I always feel like they should say, of the three hundred people that just happened to be the sorts of people that answer surveys, we found out, and it would be a far more telling set of data.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't Yeah, And all the polls and all of the predictions and all of the media pundits saying, you know, this is definitely how the election will go. I said something. I think I might even said it on this podcast. A few episodes ago that if you were surprised by Brexit, and you were surprised when Trump got in the first time, and then you were surprised when Trump got in the second time, maybe you should change where you get your thees and media information from, because if you constantly are surprised by these things, the people you're listening to haven't got a good track record. And i'd almost you know this thing about augmented realities coming where everyone will have a set of electronic contact lenses or glasses or something that will show data around people. You know, you can use it for Google Maps, and I'll tell you what kind of bird that is. I want to have a little stat above everyone's head that shows how often they're correct in their predictions. You know this, this person is only correct in their predictions seventeen percent of the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Stop listening to that person.
Speaker 3: I can agree more. I mean, it's it's quite amusing. Actually they have You know if I sometimes listen to gb news radio and it's it's quite entertaining. But they basically get sort of three relatively right wing people and one random socialist on to try and defend the government or whoever, and you know the way that this is done, you would honestly think they, oh my god, is there nothing this government gets right. If you actually then look at other things, you think, well, some of it's clearly not completely buggered up. But if you just listen to gb News, then you're going to think, well.
Speaker 2: This is awful.
Speaker 3: You know, this is just the worst thing that's ever happened to this country. And I don't know, I think we get persuaded because we live in our own little bubbles of our belief system and whatnot, and that clearly becomes such a massive problem when you've got people like SPADs who can convince an intelligent man like Rishi Sunak that you can go and literally ignore science, and you can literally ignore the advice of your best placed minister. You know. Steve Barkley, love him or loath him, was at the time the minis Secretary of State for Dephra and he thought this was a good idea. The lords thought, yes, illegally, this will work, and yet still he turned it over because basically they look through the prism of is this what the public are going to want to hear? And yeah, how.
Speaker 1: Awful that you said? You said prism there and it's optics as the words used. So callum, we outside of your work with sort of the field and shooting times where you're talking to I don't know that what people listen to this podcast a lot when you're talking to normal people, how how diverse are their opinions or how oh how far off this mark are they? Oh?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: I So I'm under a strict NDA, so I can't say anything to but you're doing yesterday, did I did asue and it's all twenty somethings, and.
Speaker 2: They're just it's a completely different London twenty something and it's not like there's a shortage of those. There's a lot of those people, and they don't the sort of stuff that's coming out of gb News. They would look at it like it was a comic, you know. I wouldn't tow them with the brush of like they're all vegans and sort of that sort. But they're all very left progressive young people really, and so that worldview is so incredibly different to I don't know, but the older generation of a more rural area. So I get to see quite a lot and also I get to see things like this actually in Parliament. I do quite a lot of stuff for usually private business that are holding roundtable discussions in Parliament about all sorts of different subjects and as people from all areas. It's really good to see when you get certain things like I did a whole thing about women's health and it was a really important discussion and it didn't really matter because it wasn't a political divide, doesn't matter if you were left right whatever. It was just a problem that needed solving. So you get people to come together for certain things like that. But I think wildlife is the way wildlife and all these sorts of problems. It just depends how you see the world because young people will do anything to get exposure to wildlife, have more of it in their sort of in their national parks and stuff like that. And you know they want to go down and have a picnic at the weekend and go to Richmond and see a load of deer, whereas they have had spent the time seeing that the deer destroy all the trees and that it's actually a problem, so they don't know and go on Twitter. Now have a look at Packham and have a look at all of the stuff. He said about the grouse shooting thing, a look at the clear complete misunderstanding of ecology, biodiversity and all of the things that happen in the moors. In fact, we should definitely plug your episode, mister Prido of Moreland Matters. Go back and check that episode if you haven't seen it already, because it's really important. It will give you a lot of what you need to know about this grouse thing. But go on that and you just see there's a fundamental misunderstanding for all the people on the Packham thing. They don't understand about predators. They've got this a lot of misinformation about I'm not saying that no raptors have ever died at the hands of gamekeepers, because I don't know if that's true. I don't know. But they've got this narrative that all gamekeepers do is go out kill a load of raptors, cause havoc, burn the moors and put smoke into the air that's causing pannage with fire, and that everyone that shoots anything isn't doing it for food. They don't understand the fact the economic impact that you took away grouse shooting, what it would have to rural communities not even considered it. It's not even on the radar. It's completely not a thing. All they see posh ol top gun smashing the grouse out of the air.
Speaker 1: That's on the raptor control thing. It's used to get when when broadcast out to the why the public was mostly through newspapers, you had to issue retractions if you publish something that was completely bottling us.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: And with the raptor persecution thing, yeah.
Speaker 2: Raptor persecution dot org dot utah. Yeah, so oh yeah, the reputable source that is.
Speaker 1: Around completely unbiased, anonymous. But that's I mean, that's you know, it's as biased as a grouse shooting place, I suppose in theory. But just to look at the numbers, the people have shot raptors, and raptors have been killed on grouse mills. There have been prosecutions for it. You can go and look it up yourself. But if you go away from the.
Speaker 2: Car, even if you're prograss, we'd all we'd all say that that's terrible thing to do.
Speaker 1: All the organizations, all the people do so. But what isn't shown is that when they say, you know, hen Harrys have been killed, and then there was this one gre keeper who was prosecuted or actually was thinking it's somebody working for a keeper or somebody volunteering. What isn't shown is that more raptors have been killed by pigeon fanciers and pigeon racers. They hate them bird collectors, bird egg collectors because they want the nests, they want the eggs, or they actually want the eggs of other things. So gamekeepers are actually quite low on the pecking order, and any shooters are very low on the pecking order when it comes to wrap to persecution. The problem is that that isn't a helpful narrative when you're trying to deal with the public because more people or fewer people have got a gamekeeper in the family than have a pigeon fancy. Yeah, yeah, particularly that's it's so you've got that one. And then there's the other thing of hen harrier that it hasn't been shown to be killed. It's just it was tracked and it disappeared on this grouse moll. Well, most of the north of England on a hill is some sort of grousemall the big chunks of it. So that the data is not in your favor. There if you're a hen harrier, you're more likely to disappear on a grouse more than not.
Speaker 2: But so when they turn they sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but a lot of a lot of people who are killed in county lines ruggs things have been dumped on grouse malls as well, but that's not really a grouse grouse predation issue exactly.
Speaker 3: The but you've got the track one of those, so.
Speaker 1: They've got the GPS trackers. The problem is that the GPS trackers are about as reliable as my ability to stay on topic, and they just drop off.
Speaker 3: It's also if you've ever have you ever covered for shooting times or anything callum falconry, Have you ever done anything with peregrines?
Speaker 2: No, I did go and go and see a man's fun's birds to prey.
Speaker 3: Okay, well if you go and see I wouldn't tell me why if you go and see these falcons flying. They use the same trackers basically on these peregrines because they go up and up and up and up and up, and they've got them on a little GPS unit. And then quite frequently the peregrine decides stuff this, I ain't chasing what you want? They see something else, and they go and bugger off into the middle of and so to try and get these precious and very expensive birds back. These falconers then go charging off in their cars, chase afterwards and follow the tracking system. Now, one of the things that is most interesting is that you're putting You know, birds are very finally tuned. How do they go and fly is by a wonder of evolution but also very fine weight distribution. So if you want your bird to be in hunting fetal, they wave them very intricately. And you're suddenly going to go and put this tracking device on a bird of prey and then you release it back into the world again. It is carrying essentially in bird terms, a full sort of parachute regiment worthy burgen on its back. And so therefore they don't fly quite so well. And I don't care what any person who claims how important these are on the GWCT do a huge amount of bird tracking for science. But these birds, when you put a track on them, they are at risk of predation themselves. And the number of birds of prey that kill other birds of prey is very high. In fact, I watched a marsh harrier killing a cock hen harrier over the Raiden marshes near my old home stumping ground as outside Southwold, and watched it happen. And so therefore you you've suddenly got this thing that isn't quite as agile as it used to be, wearing this tracker. And yes, it probably did die over a grousemore, because, like Richard says, geographically speaking, there's lots of grousemalls over there. So it's you know, it's it's it's science will tell you that this has died over a grousemall. But what's killed it is neither here nor there. It's it's that that is not explored and and it doesn't fit a narrative. The thing I don't get and I don't get about this wild Justice campaign is that they are focusing on birds of prey right about driven grouse shooting. What is their suggestion, what is their recommendation that should happen to these moors then, because if at the moment of grousemore stops being a grouse more and it just becomes a more, it's a worthless in cash terms, and there's no income coming in for it. So who's going to do all the conna work.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know what I got?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: One of the comments was gone that they should switch it to like eco tourism where everybody wants to photograph. Now, let me tell you I've run enough photography events. Yeah, if you try and sell a photography event at fifty quit a ticket, you might struggle to sell your ticket still, right if you think someone's going to pay one thousand pounds to go and photograph some grouse and a lineup of ten with all of these mate, you've got.
Speaker 1: Yeh yeah, yeah. There's the only photography workshops that still sell for some reason are the art nude photography workshops, which is a different kind of bird. Really, that's the literally there's old men and camera clubs will pay for that, but they'll also they'll have ten grand of equipment in their car and then quibble about paying the seventy five pence to park and park out on the road instead. Yeah, to go and photograph something.
Speaker 3: It does. The costs don't add up. And also, let's be perfectly honest, is that if you say were to get one more working like that, it's like the same situation with NEP. Now NEP washes its face financially because they're in Sussex. You've got this one place that's been rewilded, and people go and pay money to go on birds Afar ease and exit through the gift shop and all that. But if you've had the neighboring farm also decided to come a nep and run that business, and then the neighboring farm to that, and then the neighboring farm to that, it's not going to wash its face, is it, Because you've suddenly flooded the market. And so therefore this idea that you could turn the whole of the uplands of England into some sort of ecotourism center is clearly cloud cuckoo land, and it doesn't work. And I don't think really anyone actually doesn't buy the fact unless they're completely blind that the management of grousemores is bloody good for a load of red listed species, as highlighted in that Otterburn report that the GWCT. Did you know you look at those numbers of red listed species that plummeted as soon as you took a gamekeeper off that land. Now the only way you can afford to pay the gamekeeper is by the grouse shooting it ain't going to work, as you say, unless we go and perhaps you do heather based nude photograph feet. Could that work? I don't fancy doing it in November, I'll be honest. Well I've done it, but that was about the house to look good naked.
Speaker 2: I actually photographed the gentleman's ankles on the moor at Otterburn. I don't know if that's any any good for you.
Speaker 1: May was the rest of him clothed or.
Speaker 2: It was Crispy boots Crispy Boots advertorial piece and it was on the moor up there we walked the more in a pair of boots.
Speaker 3: You you photographed my ankles, haven't you quite a few times?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah?
Speaker 2: And if you subscribe to the Patreon you can see those photos of Richard's filthy ankles. For just three pounds a month you get so much extra. You can also donate on kofe. The link is down in the show notes. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Can you photograph my ankles? One bough?
Speaker 2: Oh mate? Have you got cankles? So? Have you got actual ankle?
Speaker 1: Have you not seen my calves? The bigger than you're pretty thigh? Yeah? Say it again but slower, no, right, we're going to go off and record the after show bit now, which is a bit that patrons only get where we've got some Shenanigan's there and we didn't have time to talk about Ash die Back like Amy wanted us to. So maybe Callum and I can do that next week. Next week you won't have Richard Nigus on the podcast because he's going off on his annual family holiday to where shall I say? He's going Mongolia. That's where he's going to. He's off to live in a yurt. He's going to start on the outer move towards the end. I've got, I've got, I've got an out he's going to. He's going to the.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm off to go the Mongolian rim and uh and it would be it'd be great, won't it. I can't wait. I'm going to charge across the steps on a pony. I'm going to be following in the footsteps of Genghis Khan and yeah, and I fully intend that when I come back, I will be the master of most of the days of Asia. So worship hears a government