Speaker 1: It's night side with Ray.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, Nicole, what a holiday are we talking about here? You and I are both working today.
Speaker 3: Just because it's not a holiday for us doesn't mean it's not a holiday for somebody.
Speaker 2: But well, yeah, there's probably like holiday every day around the world.
Speaker 3: That's the case National Girl Cheese Day. I'm requesting that off.
Speaker 2: No, but this is probably like a holiday in Tanzania that we don't celebrate. But it's not a holiday for us, and it's I don't know. We're going to talk about that at nine o'clock. Okay, we're going to ask if people did celebrate today and what holiday did they celebrate all of a sudden, And then how about these pesky panthers, Nicole? I know, I mean, you know, this is ruining my winter and it's pretty early.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, started you don't let this get you die.
Speaker 2: Early in that, but this is this is scary, This is scary. I was convinced this was the year.
Speaker 3: Well let's not, you know, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We feel like I have to say that for every New England sport early in the first couple months, like, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Then it comes to playoffs.
Speaker 2: And then we can panic. Do me a faye. Well, when it's when it's time to panic, will you let me.
Speaker 3: Know as soon as I found as soon as I find out.
Speaker 2: As soon as you just let me know, because I don't want to like appeer to panic.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we can enter panic all we want, it's just we don't want to scare everybody.
Speaker 2: Good good goods. Okay, that's a good that. That's a prudent position to take, thank you against these pesky panthers. Panthers very illiterative there the position. Yes, thanks Nicole, have a good show, right, Thanks, good evening everyone, And I hope you had a good holiday, whatever holiday you celebrated. We'll talk about that at nine o'clock tonight, and then later on tonight we're going to talk about the hotel workers strike here in the in the Greater Boston area. I think it's going to be very interesting to understand, uh, because all the stories I've read have not specified what is at stake. I mean, obviously the workers on and strike more pay and better pension and all of that, but I'd love to know what situations they find themselves in and let's get some of this out on the table, because I suspect that the more information we have, the better off we will be. But first, first, let me introduce myself. I'm Dan Ray. I'm the host of ninth Side right here on WBC entitled Nightside with Dan Ray, very appropriately entitled. And this is a program that is on a holiday, but it's not a holiday special, so let's make that clear. Rob Brooks is also not on holiday. Rob is working today, so Rob, my condolences that you have to work on a holiday, even though it's really not a holiday, it should be a holiday in some form of fashion. We'll talk about that at nine. We're going to start off with our first hour tonight, which there were no phone calls in the first hour. I remind you of that. I need not remind regular listeners of that. And we are going to go down south and we're going to talk with Sharon Hawa. She's the senior manager of the Emergency Response a Best Friends Animal Society. And there has been a two major hurricanes, Hurricane Helene and then Hurricane Milton, and not only a people impact, but people's pets are impacted. So Sharon, welcome to Night's side tell us Best Friends Animal Society, you folks are located.
Speaker 4: Where yes, hi, thank you for having me. We are located in kannap Utah. But we've got Center's Pet resource centers across the country and our staff is widespread across the country. The work that we do is nationally focused or a national organization that focuses on getting this country to a no kill status with America Shelters by the end of twenty twenty five. So we've been doing a lot of work for the hurricanes right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the problem that is from and Center at this point. So what can people here in New England do? Obviously, in New England we do a lot of pet adoption from some of the southern states, and I think that you know, there have been vans coming up here in New England. A lot of my friends have adopted pets, animals, dogs, cats. What can we in New England do? I think I saw one story about a group in Rhode Island that actually sent a group of workers down to to I believe North Carolina to try to help out, just as we send electrical crews from different parts of the country. What can we do here in New England.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's a great question. I think. You know, one of the things that really does help with life saving four pets is to foster and adopt from your local shelters, because what that ends up doing is enabling that shelter to raise their hands and say, hey, we've got space. We can take some of those impacted animals from those hurricane ravaged states. And that's where you see the vans coming up with the animals because a group, a rescue organization or a shelter organization was able to make space. And that is largely in part due to the public raising their hand and saying I can foster or adopt to make that space. So when people foster and adopt, they really are saving two lives, the animal's life that they're bringing home, and they're also making space for a new animal to come in from an area where they may not be able to survive because of hurricanes and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm very proud to say that my daughter a year ago adopted from an animal shelter here in the Greater Boston area Situate Animal Shelter, a beautiful, quirky dog named Mustard, and all of my closest personal friends. I mean, I count my five best friends on my right hand, and Mustard's right there along with Willi the dog, which is another family member. So we we love dogs and shelter dogs. And I suspect that there's going to be a lot of pets, you know, all sorts of pets coming up from the South, particularly after I mean, when this storm hit, it had to have tremendous impact not only on families, but also in the family pets, which is members of the family. Anyone who has a dog understands what I'm talking about. If you don't have a dog, get a dog, so you can understand that that canine becomes a member of your family. Not a member of your extended family, but a member of your family. Are there ways that folks can help out your organization or is there any sort of a fund that is intended to help out pets in North Carolina? We support here on Nightside of a program called Shadow the Shadow Fund, the Shadow Fund in even Northeast, which is an incredible program that provides veterinary care for peoples pets up here when the owner does not have sufficient funds to provide vetinary cures. A lot of people up here who have to make tough decisions between rent, food or or vegetan treatment for their pets. So you're you're in a pet friendly territory here. What more can we do to help? Let us know, share and tell us what can you do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, we do have a fund set up and all the money that we raise goes to supporting this disaster and future disasters because we are in the height of hurricane season. So this certainly isn't going to be the only hurricane. I hope so, but this isn't going to be the only one left. But yeah, I mean, if you go to best Runds dot org, you can follow the work that we're doing with Hurricane Helene and Hurricane Milton on our web page and there's some links to go donate if you're interested. There are a lot of people that are displaced right now with their pets. They've been displaced since Selene, so Melton was just the double whammy that kept them displaced. And you know, right now, it's just about what kind of long term recovery it's a state going to make available to them, and is that recovery going to be inclusive of their pets? Because oftentimes it doesn't always include their pets, whatever housing they go to. So it's really about advocating as well for these individuals so they have somewhere to go with their animals and they aren't separated because they are family members.
Speaker 2: They absolutely are. Hopefully. The one good thing about these hurricanes is that as bad as it was in Florida, and it was really bad, the second hurricane was not as bad as had been predicted. I mean, the first hurricane was horrible, and they were suggesting it was going to be worse. And also I don't think North Carolina get hit with this. Well, Milton just went across the state of Florida and exited into the Atlantic Ocean, which was also you know, a blessing. So hopefully, well, I guess icond say it could have been worse and if Milton followed the path of Helene. But nonetheless, there was a lot of damage done to a lot of states, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida, obviously North Carolina and even Tennessee. So whatever people could do, Bestfriends dot Org, Sharon, I appreciate it. Thank you so much for joining us tonight to highlight the need and the program that will help satisfy that need.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you so much, and thanks to everybody in New England for always stepping up for their animals.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We love animals. We love pets here in New England family pets. Thanks Sharon, appreciate it. When we return, we're going to talk ask the question, the age old question, is it healthy to quit social media? Well, since social media has only been around about thirty years or whatever it is is, it's a thirty year question. We have a doctor who says that if you limit your social media you're quickly going to see some health benefits. That doctor, doctor Tricia pas Richa, will join us. Pas Richa will join us right after this break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from The Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So how much social media are you on? I'm on way too much, But I use as an excuse and it's actually a legitimate excuse. My job. That's what I do. I have to know what people want to talk about with me, is doctor Tricia pas Richa. She is the Ask a Doctor columnist for the Washington Post, but she's Boston based. You have the best of all worlds here good afternoon or good evening. I should say, doctor pas Richa, how.
Speaker 4: Are you, hi, Dan, It's great to be back, great to be.
Speaker 2: Back on the show again, and I thank you very much. So I can't understand why I spend so much time on social media, part of which is my job. But I can't wait when I retire, I'm getting off social media completely. How how healthy is it to get off social media, or to put it in another way, how unhealthy is it to spend half your life on social media?
Speaker 6: Well it's a great question, you know, there's not a straightforward answer, and I think the data, you know, in a global sense is a little bit mixed, and part of that is just because of how the studies they're done. But I think intuitive where we all, all of us feel like we're on social media too often. And there have been some studies, one that came out of the University of Pennsylvania that looked at what happens if we randomize people to just using social media as often as they like, which which as we all know, can drag on into hours and hours of our day, versus limiting social media, for example, to ten minutes per day on any given platform and in that study, for example, people sound. The researchers found that within three weeks of limiting your social media use, people's depression and loneliness core is dramatically improved. And that's you know what. One example of a small study that I think really gets to the heart of the problem of social media is that it's supposed to be social. It's supposed to provide as this connection to other people, and yet it can play a huge role in just aggravating our own sense of loneliness. And so when people say should I get off social media? I really tell them, well, how does social media make you feel? And if it doesn't make you feel better, so you feel that you're not using your time the way you want to, then yes you should get off and see what happens if you do.
Speaker 2: I believe that social media is really the equivalent of douging yourself, gouging your body with junk food. There's very little on social media that is has any social redeeming value. How far off do you think I am on that? Well?
Speaker 6: I think this is why it's a little bit hard for doctors like myself to say on social media it's totally bad. Everybody should absolutely get off. I think there are some areas, and there have been some studies to support this. Certainly some areas and some groups of people that really do find a benefit in social media. So that would be people who find forgeable social support groups that you can really only get on social media, where they might have difficulty finding those kinds of communities in real life. So here have been some studies about support groups that you can find on social media for breastfeeding women, for example, and how kind of affirming that can be to talk to other women who are going through the same kind of struggles that you are, and or for example, for LGBTQ plus youth who may have trouble connecting to people in their immedia community, but they really find a sense of validation and community online And so in those scenarios, I think there can be a lot of benefit to it. But sometimes it can be hard to know are the benefits that you're getting outweighing the risks and the potential damages to your health. And if it's hard to tell, I usually tell my patients this is something I've done myself. Just do an experiment where you take a break, you pretend to quit for two weeks, set that at the beginning the bullet the beginnings is just going to be two weeks, go off entirely, and at the end of the two weeks, just pause and say how do I feel? Do I feel better? Do I feel worse? Do I feel the same. And I think you'd be surprised how many people I've told this too, and once again I've done it to myself, that you actually just feel so much better after two weeks that you don't want to go back on afterwards.
Speaker 2: I sort of analogize it. And I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one of the radio. But you have to see those concials. People who are walking around on the beach and they have these, I don't know, magnet finders or whatever, and they're looking for diamond rings and rare coins and they're walking up and down the beach. They're getting a little bit of exercise, but it's not too often that they come up with a really big find. You know, they'll find like a beer can buried under the sand or something like that. I would think that with all the social media that exists, that if there were people who were looking just for the good stuff, you know, groups, if you're an LGBTQ teenager, or if you're a mom, as you said, you know, breastfeeding, looking for a support group. But it's the other stuff. I just don't know. I don't know how you separate the wheat from the chaff, because once you get sucked in. I'm you know, I'm a big sports guy. So if I see something, you know, some I don't know, some funny baseball play, you know, with the guy's running the bases the wrong way or whatever, or someone hit a home run and the guy caught it in his beer and his beer a mug, whatever, then you just you get seduced. What's the next one? Oh, the next one is the guy who caught a ball and fell over the fence, you know, and all of a sudden you say, what have I been doing for an hour and a half.
Speaker 6: I think you're exactly right. I had a conversation with the US Surgeon General, doctor Vivic Morphy about this because, as you might know, what, this is something that he feels very passionate about and is one of his big initiatives to try to add burning and Beck and.
Speaker 2: I chat about that all the time, only kidding the search in General's name on me go ahead, I'm ahead.
Speaker 6: But he and he, yeah, he's wonderful, he and he feels very rightfully passionate about this. And and you know, one of the things he said to your point is that he made this comparison which I thought was was really appropriate, which was that social media can be like trying to separate mold out of yogurt. Like you might just want to eat a bold of yogurt, but if it's covered in mold, you might say, let me just get the mold out and I'll eat with the underneath there.
Speaker 7: But the problem is, I'm going to go find a new new uh yogurt my refrigerator in the store.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: If you find out I had molded it, you would just throw it out. You wouldn't just try to eat the good stuff. And I think it's the same with social media. And that's it, and that's his analogy, not mine, but I think it's it's totally appropriate that it's it's hard. A lot of people leave social media feeling more upset and affirmed, and that's the problem. And you know, not only that it takes away from people's sleep, it takes away from meaningful in person interaction or your work or your learning time, and so all of those things that up and you're doing it for hours and hours every day.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure that when every new invention came along, people said all the cards and that automobile thing's never gonna last. I'm sticking with my horse and buggy, you know, by good old Steed. Get to talk to him in the morning before we roll into town. But I just don't see the value. You talk about all the sex trafficking that now goes on there. You know, whatever you want to find, whether it's good, bad, or indifferent. You know, I have a dictionary here. It's actually a dictionary, and it's amazing and has all these words in it that you can look up. I don't have to go to social media to look up words in a dictionary. Seriously. This is the book. It's called Webster's Dictionary. And I, you know, I don't it's it's a losing battle. I think it's just a losing battle, and I think a lot of people get lost in it. It's like it's a morass. I guess it's it's like a it's like a real life it's like what a corn maze is can get in a corn maze. Even if you get lost in the corn maze, you can call the main number and they'll come and find you. We have calling con mazes in New England, you know what I mean by that. But if you get lost in social media, who do you call? Well?
Speaker 6: You know, I think we're all living this big if you will, social experiment right now as we are gathering more data and with data, and we're learning as we go. I think we don't know yet exactly what is the best way to use social media. Who are the people who will benefit the most? And I think you're right that, you know, like, we're probably never going back as a country, as a world to what it was like before social media. But I don't think that means that we won't reach a place where we do harness the ways to really extract more of that benefit and less as a harm. But we're just not there yet because we haven't studied it long enough. And you might say, okay, well, social media, it's been around, you know, Nick, you mentioned thirty years. Facebook came out in two thousand and four. But the fact of the matter is we haven't been collecting data as long as we should If you look at the studies out there, they're small. Most of the social media companies Meta x, onmly, Twitter, they haven't released all of the health outcomes and data that they actually have and they've been keeping over the years. That's one of the things that the Surgeon General has been really calling for is to try to use that data to understand how we can make it better. And once we know that, we can kind of enforce the right kinds of regulations. But that's going to take time, and it's going to take a little bit of lobbying of the companies in order to get some access to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then then gets it into another dangerous area where all of a sudden, the government is regulating social media. I don't want them regulating radio stations they are regularly, but newspapers. I mean, I think of social media sort of as a newspaper. I think they should take that protection that social media has gotten from Congress as a gift, so they can't be they can't be sued for imperfect information or bad information that they circulate. They have that exemption. It's almost like an anti trust exemption. I think that should be taken away, and I think maybe a lot, then the junk that's on social media would disappear. Doctor. I very much appreciate you taking the time, and I didn't realize you were based here in Boston. By congratulations on that, and we'll talk with you soon. I really enjoy our conversation, doctor Tricia hush Richa, thanks.
Speaker 6: Again, thanks so much for having me. Take care of me.
Speaker 2: When we get back. When we talk about the twenty twenty four Special Olympics New Hampshire State Golf Tournament coming up, I guess tomorrow at the Owls Nest Resort in Thornton, New Hampshire. We're going to talk with Mark Eric right after this. This will be a great one coming up.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I think everyone who listens to this program is a big fan of Special Olympics, and I believe it's tomorrow. The twenty twenty four Special Olympics New Hampshire State Golf Tournament takes place at Owl's Nest Resort in Thornton, New Hampshire, with us Mark Erickson, he's the multi media manager for Special Olympics New Hampshire. Tell us about this event. This is not the first year. As I understand that you've done this golf tournament, tell us about it, Mark, who's eligible? Who plays? And I hope the weather forecast is good for you up there tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Good evening, Dan, thanks for having us on. And right now the weather forecast is looking to be pretty pretty decent for Thornton for tomorrow. It is our state golf tournament the Owls Nest Resort. And I'll I'll clarify this upfront and tell you I'm not a golfer, but I am the guy that goes and takes a video and pictures and things. It is just an absolute beautiful, beautiful golf facility in Thornton, New Hampshire. And we will have one hundred and eighteen golfers on the links there tomorrow all day long. And these are Special Olympics athletes and in some cases unified partners. We pair up individuals with and without intellectual disabilities in the school systems and they partner up and they compete and play and hang out and enjoy each other's company. So we'll have one hundred and eighteen golfers at the state golf Tournament at Owl's Nest tomorrow Harlan Electric is our is our big presenting sponsor, and we thank them so much for that, and we're hoping for an absolute great day of golf.
Speaker 2: That's like thirty foursomes. If I'm not mistaken, I'm doing the math there. I think it would be thirty foursomes. If you that's a lot of golfers. That's a lot of golfers.
Speaker 6: Get all through.
Speaker 2: What time do you start, how early do you start and when do you finish out?
Speaker 5: Well, we'll start to write it around eight am. And the way that the day is going to be set up is we've got unified alternate shot team play in five hole, nine hole, and eighteen holes, and then we have some eighteen hole games as well. Part of what makes this go, the biggest part of what makes this go, honestly, is our wonderful group of volunteers. They come from all corners of the state and they organize all the chaos and into something that is cohesive and competitive and the level of competition that our athletes really deserve.
Speaker 2: Now refresh my recollection. I think I know where Thornton, New Hampshire is, but I'm not exactly sure. Can you locate it for me precisely for our audience in case someone wants to come and I assume you can't just show up and participate by the people who come and support it and maybe make a contribution right there or of the watch some of the golf.
Speaker 5: I assume, well, sure, we would love to have you cheering our athletes on. Uh Forrton is it's north? It's a it's a bit of a hike. Uh, it's in It's in Grafton County, New Hampshire, if that if that helps you out, Uh sort of is.
Speaker 2: It a let me ask you? This is my Is it above the Mount Washington Hotel going north?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, would be how far from the Canadian border?
Speaker 5: It's you know what it's Uh, it's uh, it's ahead of the Woodstock and Lincoln however, so it's between Plymouth and Woodstock.
Speaker 2: Okay, Plymouth, you're and it's.
Speaker 5: Ninety three you get you there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's well, that's exactly what I was using to get over to Mount Washington. Got hook a right at some point and that swing over what's the age range tomorrow? How young and how old?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: This is obviously uh a tournament that's going to involve a wide variety of people. I assume, I assume with the various talents and and abilities.
Speaker 5: Well, Special Olympics athletes start with the regular Special Olympics program at age eight, and then there is no upper age limit. We have athletes that are in their forties and fifties and even a couple in their sixties that have been with this program for years and years and years prior to age eight. We have what's called a Young Athlete program, and that's for youngsters between the ages of two and seven, and that sort of gets them prepared for Special Olympics at age eight with just some life skills and people's skills and having fun and getting to know one another.
Speaker 2: And how many years have you been running this event? This is not your first rodeo? Isome? Right?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, the State Golf Tournament's been around, you know, the history of it predates me, but I've got to believe it's been twelve or fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Well that's great. And what does the day include? Obviously all the golf activity, and is there some sort of an awards event at the cost?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well we'll have awards. Well, we'll have lunch for everyone, and in between and for down times, we'll we'll have a few other activities going on. But yeah, before we wrap up the day, there'll be many gold and silver and bronze medals handed out to our athletes and their unified partners, and we're looking forward to a great, great day tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So you see, they go for the gold eighteen holes, nine holes, five holes, and then individual skills competition. I'm sorry you must have this sounds like always a great day for anyone who's a golfer. But I assume you got some putting competitions and things like that where everybody can participate. They don't have to be hitting the ball three hundred and ten yards off the first tee.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, nothing, nothing like that. We are all about being inclusive all the way around, and we make sure that everyone has, as we like to say, the competition and the day that our athletes deserve. And again we have our wonderful volunteers to thank for that.
Speaker 2: That's great. Well, look, Mark, I really appreciate you joining us tonight. I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow and they fulfill the dreams. This has to be a special day for a very special program, special Olympics of New Hampshire in Thoughton, New Hampshire at the Owls Nest Resort. Wish you all the best of luck tomorrow and I hope everyone has a memorable day. I'm sure there'll be plenty of camaraderie and a lot of fun for everyone, the participants and also I'm sure family members will be there to cheer them on, and oh yeah, a few speculators as well. It's going to be just a great day. Thanks very much. Is there a way people can get more information on Special Olympics New Hampshire. I see you have a pretty simple website special so for Special Olympics NH dot org. Is that the best way?
Speaker 5: So O nh dot org has all things Special Olympics New Hampshire. And we'll also let everyone know that we've just unleashed a new fundraiser online and say pick your prize, rapple the grand prize and that is a three passenger c do jet ski. So if you want an information about fundraisers or the state golf tournament or anything else, it's so O n H dot org.
Speaker 2: Perfect, just perfect. You hit it perfectly for us. Hit him straight tomorrow too, Mark, Thanks very much. I appreciate your time tonight. Thanks thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan, have a great night.
Speaker 2: You bet your best. I look to all the participants in these New Hampshire Special Olympics twenty twenty four State golf tournament. We get back. We're going to talk about another athlete new to Boston, but he made quite a debut, well really a starting debut yesterday. Drake May the new star quarterback for the New England Patriots. They were dressed out in their throwback garb. Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe sports writer, will weigh in with us right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: With us now Boston Globe sportswriter Dan Shaughnessy, great friend and certainly a participant in this program periodically. Hey Dan, thanks very much for joining us tonight. You had a a one story that began in the Boston Globe today thanks to Drake May, there's finally a reason to watch these Patriots. Not a bad performance by the quarterback yesterday. The defense left a little bit little to be desired, a little bit to be desired. How are you tonight?
Speaker 8: I'm Okay, Dan, how are you.
Speaker 2: Doing it well? As always? You know, his numbers last night were yesterday afternoon, we're pretty good. I mean, he got sacked four times, which unfortunately is a problem any Patriots quarterback would face. Give mcgrade for his first time out. You've seen more than a few of these Patriots games, and I'm sure that you were there for Mac Jones' opening performance and maybe Tom Brady's opening performance back in the day.
Speaker 8: He I mean, you know, he put twenty one points on the board, the most they've had all season. He had three touchdown passes. They only had two in the first five games, so those things are certainly in his favor. But you know, on the other side, he turned the ball over the team did four times, three of them were on him, two interceptions and a fumble of his. You know, one of the picks was deflected. The first one was a bad throw high over the middle, which you can't do in the NFL. So it was uneven. But again for the first start in the NFL against a pretty good defensive team and you know, five and one team Houston Texans, I thought it was it was good. It's weird to come out of a twenty point loss. Feeling good, But the way the Patriots are at this juncture of their situation, I think you have to say that they're not going to be competitive, they're not going to be a contender, they're not going to be in a playoff hunt. So you look for what you can and yesterday's game was far more entertaining, more fun to watch, and it indicated that they might have found a guy who can lead them into the future. So I thought those were all pluses.
Speaker 2: I think he looked better to me yesterday as a quarterback. And you're a closer observer. I've watched a lot of quarterbacks for the Patriots, going back to Budsong and Babe Perilli back in the day, all the way all the way up through you know Mac Jones. Mac Jones, he looked much more comfortable than any quarterback recently. A lot of the other guys have kind of that happy feet thing going on. I didn't feel he had that at all. I thought he'd looked like a veteran quarterback for his pois again not necessarily a Hall of Fame rating, as your article points out today, How did he look compared to other folks who you saw.
Speaker 8: There first time, Well yeah, I think, you know, he's twenty two years old. And then you know, going back over the time, I mean I was in high school and Jim Plunkett came in from Stanford, a Brose Bowl winner and number one overall pick in the draft. And Pluckett won his first game twenty to six over the Raiders. But he had a very tough four years here. He took a beating and it got worse and worse, and they eventually traded them and he went on to Okland and won two Super Bowls with the Raiders and was MVP the Super Bowl with the Raiders. So that was, you know, a long time ago. It's fifty years ago. More recent, well not really recent, Drew, but so I was at his first game. He was in Buffalo in nineteen ninety three. Parcels was the new coach and he was the number one overall pick. He was only twenty one, and he was clearly ready to start playing in the NFL. But that team went one and eleven out of the gate, so he lost his open in Buffalo. But he was clearly a Pro Bowl bound passer, and he had him in the Super Bowl in four years, so that's pretty good, and that was Drew Budsoe. So Mac Jones the most recent he was first round pick number fifteen.
Speaker 5: Overall, had a.
Speaker 8: Pretty good first game and probably a little better than what our guy had yesterday. But I think that I don't feel he showed quite as much pocket presence, ability to do things with his feet, you know, kind of avoid the rush. I thought that that may kind of really showed those things that you look forward to down the road. I thought it was a good showing overall. Like I say, unusual to come away from a twenty point loss feeling okay, but I kind of did yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, I was watching earlier in the morning. I'm sure you probably were as well, the Jacksonville Bears game and the Bears and Caleb Williams just running away with Jacksonville. You know, Jacksonville looks like a team the Patriots might be able to beat. But Matt Jones came in to to clean up after Trevor Lawrence was done for the day, and I just thought, I think the last pass that I had seen Jones throw on television was that that horrible interception in Germany, and you know, he came out through one pass was got a completion. I think he got sacked or you know it just obviously the Patriots are, I think, are much better shape with Drake May than they would have been if they hung on another year with Mac Jones.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 8: I mean, things are a lot of issues with the offensive line. They didn't have stevenson Esay running the ball out of the backfield, and you know, turned though over four times, You're not going to win that game. You're playing a really good team, a team that it's very very staunched defensively. So that was a lot to ask, But I thought overall it was it was a good showing. And I think Jones, I don't know, he did take them to the playoffs. I mean, it wasn't a disaster, but it got a little bit worse each year, and a lot of that was on them and the coaching that he had over him and the chaos that was going on in those final years under Belichick, and he didn't have a lot of weapons to deal with and needed as this guy. So you got issues all over the place. But I think that in a excuse me, a NFL of twenty twenty four with the rebuild and you know, their position to do that now, and I mean I kind of you put them up against Jacksonville. They're playing them London nine thirty on Sunday morning. I like them a little bit more than Jacksonville that that's a winnable game, as I think last week at home with Miami would have been a winnable game if they if they had had Drake may plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the schedule only gets tougher from here. I think I read the opening of the early line on the London game as Jacksonville I think was a six point favorite, which seemed to me to be a little generous, but maybe.
Speaker 8: Pretty good for one in five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think they're thinking that Lawrence has to come up with a big game pretty quickly. Yeah, a lot of pressure I think on the coach Peterson. I think might have to fly home alone if they don't win at Webley Stadium next Saturday, next Sunday morning. But it's going to be an interesting game to watch, that's the one thing. Yesterday was interesting, and as long as the Patriots keep it interesting, they'll keep our attention for the ballast of this season. I just don't want to see him get blown out by some of the really good teams. That's what yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's been a tough watch. And like you said, the interesting part of it to me is even in the twenty point loss, it was more fun to watch. He just saw some stuff. I mean the first half, you know, the end of the first half and he throws the forty yarder into the bucket and that was the best play they've had all year, and it was just electric. Cut the lead to fourteen to seven. At the half, they're getting the ball. Second half, you're thinking, hey, they could win this game. So those were good signs. And that was a good moment in the game. And he was able to do things with his legs and throwing the run, throw across his body, and you know, there was some unfortunate things. It was uneven, but I think overall it's a win in terms of looking at the big picture, which is what they're doing right now down there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's the big question. Do you get to go to London next week for the game? Are you gonna be watching?
Speaker 8: I opted not to. I would get to go if I chose to it. No, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: A wise decision, trust me, A wise decision. Dan Shaughnessy is always thank you, my friend. Always great to have you on Nightside.
Speaker 8: Thanks so much, Dan, Thanks Dan, take care all right.
Speaker 2: When we get back today. It was a holiday, it was a federal holiday, it was a state holiday. But I'm working. Rob is working. We're going to find out if you celebrated a holiday today and which one did you celebrate. We're going to be talking with the state representative from Winthrop, our state representative, Jeff Turco, and we'll open those phone lines up right after the nine o'clock news. My name's Dan Ray. This is Night Side on a Monday night, a holiday, Monday night.