Speaker 1: Welcome friends, Jacky, Welcome to movie Film. It's episode three forty five. I'm Zaki has sign. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's going Zachi.
Speaker 1: Hey you staying cool down there in Socaw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well, typically it's it's June as we record right now, and typically we have something called June gloom, where the month of June it tends to be sort of overcast. But yeah, it's been no gloom here. Really sunny, but not an oppressive heat yet, like I would say, like low eighties, so not that crazy August through October whether we get out here quite yet, thank god. So what about you up there?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's we're in the midst of a heat wave, which is less than ideal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You so the ac is blasting indoors. Yeah, you know, I'm in my recording space, so it's a little warmer than i'd like. But hey, that's okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have kind of a converted garage space that you record in, right, so there's not like vents blasting in cool air for you.
Speaker 1: That is true, but that's okay. You and I we generate enough cool all by ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cumbers wish they were this cool.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's the way I like to see it. Mister Freeze wishes he was this cool?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: What are we going to get another big screen mister Freeze? I think I think it's time. Brian, I agree.
Speaker 2: And isn't that sort of online speculation, you know, for the next Matt Reeves the Batman movie, because I think the still frame image that they released from it had snow in it, so people are like, oh, it's clearly that means it's mister Freeze.
Speaker 1: But I would like a stretch, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, but I would love to see, Yeah, a good mister Freeze story without the camp that's right, right.
Speaker 1: Less camp less Austrian accent.
Speaker 2: I mean, we love our Austrian brothers and sisters, of course, but yeah, let's less uh puns.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah, Well, well, every I mean everything I've heard about The Batman Part two is that it's gonna be another two face joint.
Speaker 2: Yes, and getting into his family right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so uh, which I would assume is pulling from from The Long Halloween, which is a terrific story if you haven't heard that. Uh, And we got Sebastian stant playing playing Harvey.
Speaker 2: Dent love it.
Speaker 1: That's a good choice, yep. But yeah, get us our mister Freeze. I want, I want ice guns, not so much the ice puns, like you said, you know, let's do that. Let's let's work our way back there. It's been it's been almost thirty years. I think it's time.
Speaker 2: It's like that that I know, it's from the eighties, like hugs not drugs, you know, guns not puns.
Speaker 1: That's right. But it's yeah, long enough to let mister Freeze back in from the cold, back to you, Brian.
Speaker 2: Tonight the weather looks like. But hey, good newscasters, I think so right.
Speaker 1: We got the banter, we got the you.
Speaker 2: Know, we should do an episode where we do that sort of newsman Cadence.
Speaker 1: It's it's you know, it's it is a specific skill. I'll tell you. I have a student who I taught, uh eighteen years ago, who when I when I taught her, she said, my goal is to be a TV newscaster, and by gum, she has achieved that goal amazing. And so every once in a while, I see, I see, you know, she'll post clips of her of her reports, and she she shifts into newscaster voice mode, and it's extraordinary.
Speaker 2: I mean, is that something they teach them. Is that a way for you to speak probably quickly, yeah, but in a way that is very understandable when you're speaking so quick conveying a lot of information.
Speaker 1: I see it as like, you know, some version of like you know, in the stage acting. You know, you have like the mid Atlantic accent, yes, which actors are taught, you know, and that's for the stage and screen. I feel like there's something similar with like newscaster voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I assume there must be some sort of reason for it. I'm guessing it just has to do with making them as understandable as possible. Yea. And yeah, like you said, it's interesting no matter where you go, what region, you just see newscasters speaking with that that yeah, that cadence.
Speaker 1: That's that specific way. It's it's it's hypnotic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, some people are just some people have that broadcaster voice. Right. My friend Bob Sesca, who was a podcast you know, and I was on his show a couple of years ago. He's just somebody man. It's like he's just he just has broadcaster voice, and he's just very good at it, you know, and I'm so I'm so jealous of that, Yeah, because I've just got whatever this is.
Speaker 2: I know, I've thought about that too. Actually, regarding myself, I'm like, I wish I had more of a radio voice or broadcaster voice for this, but you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: It's what it is. It's three hundred and forty five episodes in five hundred plus if you count the pot the commentaries.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: We've done okay with what we have said. Yeah, yeah, that's your takeaway. That's true. Speaking of what we have, we haven't had a ton of stuff to discuss. You and I we were like, like, what are the headlines? But I think we've made the most of what we have with the things we have lined up just gus today, Yeah, I think so. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, actually, you and I have kind of covered a lot of what's out there between the two of us, which is kind of nice. So I'm I'm looking forward to hearing you talk about the things you've seen because I haven't seen them, although this one I think you have seen. I can't remember if I mentioned this on the last episode, but I've gotten really into pop culture Jeopardy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember telling you about the first season like a year ago or whenever it dropped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the like a week or two ago. I was looking for something to just fall asleep to basically, and I opened Netflix and they had the season two of Pop Culture Jeopardy, hosted by Colin Jost, and I thought it would fall asleep to it. It was like eleven thirty at night and I was up till three binging it, which is it's great because it's I've always loved Jeopardy, but with this version, I can answer most of the questions, so it's really fun. Yeah, and it is kind of fascinating also because I did know, well, not the majority of the answers, but I at least understood the majority of the realms they were covering. But every now and then they would get into something that was very modern, or they would talk about a TikTok star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would have an entire question slash answer that sounds like they're summoning a demon from Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's just a bunch of nonsense words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a thing. I read it a lot. When there's a headline about like two TikTok couples breaking up or something, and usually the top comment, which is to indicate I have no idea who these people are. Someone once did a tweet that was like, this is what modern headlines with young stars I don't know sound like. And it says, curtains for Zuska, you know such and such caught flipping a grunt or something like that. It's just nonsense, but it makes sense to some audience out there, but it makes no sense to us. And so yeah, a couple of the questions feel that way, but not enough. I was able to enjoy it. But I burned through the whole thing and really really enjoyed it. There are some good twists and turns, you know, people coming back that you didn't expect in whatever.
Speaker 1: So am I wrong to think it's just arrogance on my part to think that you and I would just destroy on that show.
Speaker 2: No, I thought about it. I thought about it well because I was answering all the questions, and well a lot of them, a lot of them, and enough of them that I was like, dude, we would really do well. If we could get the buzzers right, we would do really well.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. That's what you realize it is a buzzer game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean, you can know the question, but if someone gets it before you, or gets the timing a little bit better than you, you know. But anyway, I burned through the season two on Netflix, so I went back to season one on Amazon Prime and I'm watching that one right now. So I'm loving it. I think a lot of people who listen to the show would enjoy it too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, season one had the three person teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little different.
Speaker 1: It's a little different, so I think that that was a smart thing. They made it two person teams instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. It felt I don't know how to explain it. It's very much a feeling in the back of my mind. But it does feel like they've polished it up a little bit for season two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm sure a lot of that has to do with, yeah, just making a duo versus three people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I watched the first episode, I think it was the first or second episode of this season, and one of the categories I texted you about this. One of the categories was our cartoon crushes. Yeah, And as soon as I said, like, I saw the category unconsciously I'm like, oh, Chatara, I'm like telling on myself now to our audience. You know, well, I well totally.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like we've all had that moment like Garth right where he's like telling Wayne, you know, do you ever find bugs bunny attractive? When you dress up with a good bunny?
Speaker 1: It does unconsciously Chatara from the ThunderCats pops into my head. And then wouldn't you know that was the first question slash answer. It was a picture of Chatar from Thundercuts. I'm like, well, I'm not alone. I guess that's right, right right, I'm part of I'm part of a mass of humanity of some size.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, you know, I love is. I think a lot of people if it was like family feud, maybe the number one answer would be something like Jessica rabbit. You know, but I like, I liked it. That's like a deeper cut. And yeah, Jeopardy was on your wavelength, like.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure, pretty sure Jessica made the cut in that in that category. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was about her line. I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way right right right right anyway, Yeah, so that that's a fun one first season is is still on Prime Video.
Speaker 2: I believe, right, Yeah, I'm I've just started it and it's a lot more episodes. I want to say. The Netflix one was like twenty something, and I feel like the Amazon Prime one is forty. I'm not sure that wor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they dropped it in waves, which I liked better, and like like, you know, chunks of ten or twenty or something like that, which made it last a little longer. You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. By the way, as I'm watching it, Colin Jost is a great host.
Speaker 1: I was thinking the exact same thing. I was like, he is very gifted at that job.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, and he knows when to make a kind of a rye remark. But he's also good at, you know, I don't know, bantering with the contestants and ooh almost and oh you were so close. You know, He's got the whole game show hosting down. And it made me think it's funny that when he wrote a little memoir not so long ago, he felt like he had to call it. I think it's called a punchable face or a very punishable face, because for a minute, if you thought of Colin Jos it was like, oh, yeah, that guy I kind of want to punch. And I'm not saying that for myself, but like that was sort of when he and Michael Jay started doing Weekend Update, they weren't very popular. You know, people found them. I don't know secifically, Colin josts I feel like people just did not take to him immediately and so right and in that moment, that's what he felt compelled to title his own memoir, Very Punishable Face. And it's amazing. Now. I think they are the longest running duo at the Weekend Up.
Speaker 1: They does buy a wide margin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've seen a lot of people online be like, I hope they never leave. So it's just funny that Lorne Michaels just was like, no, this will work. You'll catch up to me, you know what I mean, he knew it.
Speaker 1: See Colin Jost ignore the haters. Yeah, eventually, eventually you'll get your way. Sure, you're married to Scarlett Johansson and long running SNL creator, but eventually things will come around. We're rooting for you, Colin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you needed our love too, well, you got it.
Speaker 1: I think that the you know, the recurring bit on the show where on SNL where you have you know, the they're right, they write jokes for each other right without without telling each other, Like I think that Colin very smartly leans into that and allows himself to be the butt of the joke. And that's what makes that that whole bit work totally.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe that's part of it too. And you know Sarah Sherman when she goes on just her whole stick is dunking on him and him being game for that. Maybe that helps, right, And he doesn't look like such a haircut, you know, or a stiff shirt or whatever, and I don't know, but anyway, Well what else you got, Brian, Well, I'm just I gotta do it. It's there's only one episode left. I gotta throw out some love again for Widow's bay Man. I love the show Apple TV.
Speaker 1: Plus, I'm telling you you you were on the leading edge of the wave.
Speaker 2: That's okay. So I it's so funny because this is not happening in my algorithm.
Speaker 1: So fascinating.
Speaker 2: Just a lot of posts about it.
Speaker 1: A lot of a lot of talk. Yeah, people people loving this show.
Speaker 2: Man. It's just it is such a unique and specific tone and it continues to thread that needle of creepiness and laughs and you know, riffing on horror tropes while creating its own fun, spooky, unique mythology. And I'm really going to miss it when it's gone. There's only one left. But and I just watched you know, the one this week and was like, joh, they still got it.
Speaker 1: They still got it.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I want to talk about it. I want to like talk about some of the the jokes and things that made me laugh, but I wouldn't dare spoil them. I just I'm just going to recommend the show. So finally I went. The only thing I've really seen in theaters recently besides Disclosure Day is I finally went and checked out Obsession. So this is a really interesting story really about this movie itself, right, I mean comes from a director named Curry Barker who did videos on YouTube, much like the director from back Rooms.
Speaker 1: And trend Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and then the big story around this is it was made for under a million dollars. It comes out in theaters makes a lot of money, but most movies make the most amount of money and their opening weekend and then it sort of diminishes week by week, even if it's just a little bit, but this keeps making more money every weekend. And that is the last time that happened. Apparently is the movie Et, which is insane, and so currently it's aid one hundred and sixty one million domestic and two hundred and thirty four million worldwide, made for under a million dollars.
Speaker 1: It's extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I was very curious about this, and I mean, those are interesting statistics. But I heard it was good also, and I had a good friend of mine say, he said, I loved it, but I didn't like it. And I think what he means is it's really well done and there's a lot to admire, but it's intense. It's a hard movie to say you enjoy because there's a lot of intense things happening in it. So we were talking about this before we started. We both had interest in this, but we were like, Okay, what night am I going to be in the mood for something upsetting, you know? And well I kept looking at my regal app sponsorship sponsorship, and and every night, every night, the thing was almost sold out, and so I kept sort of putting it off. And then one night I was like, well, I want to talk about this before the next episode. So I went and I was sitting elbow to elbow on a Tuesday night, you know, packed theater, and basically, I should say, the premise of this movie is this guy has a crush on a girl in his friend group, but he is not sure if she likes him back. And he goes to this, you know, sort of new age store and sees this novelty toy where it's like it's called like a one wish willow. It's a stick and basically you make a wish, break the stick, and you know, it's like a fortune cookie kind of situation. But what he wishes is I wish that this girl, Nikki would love me more than anyone else in the world. And he breaks the stick.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, don't want to do that, uh huh.
Speaker 2: And it turns out the stick works. And you could imagine the romantic comedy version of this, you know, with like Kate Hudson or on Adam Sandler or something, and oh and then she loves me and she keeps buying me balloons and filling my house with Teddy Bear and.
Speaker 1: It went in a different direction, I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: So This is like, we know, what if a person was basically borderline obsessed with you, well, not borderline she is, she's obsessed with you. She loves you. Yeah, And so if you know, you need to leave the house for work, and you turn around and your door is completely shut with duct tape because she can't stand you leaving, and you know, as soon as you walk out the door, she basically stands with this really creepy smile on her face and then pease herself standing there because she's going to wait for you to come home. Like what would realistically happen if you put someone under that spell? It would be hell for that person and so and eventually for for you, you know, and she would become obsessed and not let anyone else get near you and whatever. So anyway, what a brilliant idea. I mean, I don't know if this has been done before. It's so simple and straightforward. It's kind of shocking that we haven't seen this intense take on like what is the dark side of a wish?
Speaker 1: Like that? Right? Right?
Speaker 2: And So I gotta say I really like this movie a lot. Nice really liked it, and I completely understand that it's upsetting it is upsetting, and it's mostly an unpleasant, upsetting feeling. I'd say there are one or two moments of just outright horror, like, oh good Lord like kind of moments, but not as many as you might think. It's okay, just the psychology of it, which I don't want to spoil, but like, there are glimpses throughout the movie where the person, her real person, is trapped inside the non wish, the person who is not under the spell, and occasionally that will like reveal itself and she'll kind of, you know, and so you know she is experiencing a form of torture.
Speaker 1: She's an unwilling participant.
Speaker 2: In this, yes, And so that is if you really think about it, what makes it so upsetting and disturbing and the implications happening here. But I got to say, as upsetting as it was, and I understand that a lot of people have found it super upsetting, I think part of me was watching the movie and enjoying it but also just marveling at it, and I couldn't help but think about as I was watching it, Wow, these people had no idea when they probably made like two thousand dollars for a month's worth of work, you know, being a cinematographer, being the actors doing the score, that they were making the greatest calling card they could have ever imagined, you know. And this movie does not look like a scrappy movie that was put out, and you can imagine that they're going to do so much better with the next one. This is a really remarkable, remarkably made movie, and like very mature decisions in the filmmaking. I mean, it looks gorgeous, it looks like twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And he decides not to do a lot of cuts, and I don't know if that has to do with budget. You know, maybe he couldn't do as many setups and but and if that's the case, I don't I don't want to put that on him, because maybe this was all creative intention from the beginning. But if that was the case, that could be sort of like Jaws, the Shark is not working, where like your limitations made your movie ten times better because what it allows is there are a lot of really uncomfortable moments between these two people. And when you allow them to sit and you don't cut, you're existing in this moment with them, and we don't get the relief of a cut. We're stuck, and the performances are so strong, and the framing and the lighting and the storytelling at the script level are just so top notch that like, you would never know that this was an underdog movie that would be very unlikely to become this breakout hit. Just so I couldn't help but also be admiring the movie as I was watching the movie, and I think that might have softened the blow a little bit for me, you know what I mean, because I was thinking, like, man, good for them a lot while I was watching it, which didn't diminish it for me, Like it didn't take me out of it. I just made me, in my own personal way, appreciate the movie even more, I guess. Yeah. But for people it's just funny. It is a horror movie, and so I can't like broadly recommend it. You know, people I think know what they're able to stand when it comes to that, right, But knowing what it is, I definitely recommend this movie. This is a very good dark tale. And you know, it also made me think because now we're having this sort of explosion of new exciting voices in horror, right, I mean, several years ago it was Jordan Peel. You know, uh, we had what's his name? Oh gosh, I should have in front of me.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: But the filmmaker who did back Rooms Kill, Kane Parsons, Kane Parsons, forgive me. And and then now this guy. And it's it's interesting because you know, you and I for the longest time have said we are not horror guys. And it used to be we're not horror guys, period, and then it became, well, we're not horror guys. But I kind of enjoyed this. And then in the past couple of years, several of my favorite movies of the year were horror movies, right, you know, you had Companion and weapons and this and back Rooms and and I was thinking, it's interesting because there was this thinking several years back, why are all these big movie stars doing TV shows. It's like, well, movies have become this sort of thing where they have to make a certain amount of money. They cost so much money, they have to perform and get the biggest audiences to show up for them possible. So they're making these things that don't feel as specific. You know, they're they're big, you know, theme park rides for everybody, which can be a fun experience, but that doesn't mean you're going to get the most nuanced or complicated characters or stories that might not appeal to everyone, but they're very rich and something exciting for an actor to chew on. That became television, so all the big TV movie stars went to TV because that was where all the exciting, textured, nuanced, complicated stories were happening. For me, it feels like, strangely, that's what's happening with horror, like and theatrically, all the really interesting concepts, stories, storytelling, delicious parts for actors seem to be happening in horror at this moment, right, And I mean I would love to see that open up. I would love to see that happen with comedies again, with thrillers, with dramas you know and all that. But it is funny how I have kind of become a horror person because that's where the most interesting stories are happening in this moment.
Speaker 1: Fascinating, right, So we should say depending on the horror Oh no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Well, okay, what I want to say, Yeah, I want to clarify because.
Speaker 1: For a long time you're not you're not waiting for Winnie the Pooh, Blood and Honey Too or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, No, no, great point, great point. But what I mean is these really interesting. Yes, Like I didn't used to like horror because it was mostly what are ten creative ways we can kill teenagers in two hours?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Stupid teens?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I just had no interest in that. Like, I'm not entertained by different forms of mutilating people, you know what I mean. And I know some people are, and they have a detachment from it, and they just see it as like a you know, a hunted house experience or something. Totally get that, not for me. But with these stories that I'm mentioning weapons this companion, they're really fascinating stories and have fascinating themes and fascinating characters, and they just happen to have horror elements woven throughout them. Now, would I have preferred this movie if it didn't have one or two insanely discussing things. Yeah, like personally, yes, you know, I wouldn't mind if they had scaled back one moment in particular. But that's that's what it is, you know what I mean. And I'm willing to stomach that because I'm getting to enjoy such a great story.
Speaker 1: On the big screen. Now I understand, my man, Andy Richter is in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a small part, but is really warms your heart seeing him, for sure.
Speaker 1: It's it's fun seeing both Conan and Andy branching out into a non comedic you know.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right, yeah, Conan, And if I had legs, I would kick you last year. And then he's going to be in Toy Story five this month, that's right. Yeah. Now you said you're familiar with the actress from this indy Yeah Indian ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she was one of the regulars on Superman and Lois, which, as longtime listeners know, is one of my very favorite Superman adaptations. She she was the daughter, she played the daughter of Lana Lang. So you know that's Clark's, you know, girlfriend from his Smallville days. He moves back to Smallville and now you know, her daughter starts dating Clark's son, and and you know, she was she was a solid part of a very solid ensemble.
Speaker 2: That's well, that's great, and I know she's kind of blowing up, you know now with this movie, which I'm really happy about because you know, we were saying right before we started recording, I mean, like it doesn't you can be the greatest actor in the world, but you need the material that's going to be the right showcase for you for everyone to see it. And it's amazing that this movie that she probably had very little expectations about, you know again, with its budget and everything, and this was just a show stopping showcase for her. Like, she gets to show such a range where she plays a really nice, normal person that any you know, person would have a crush on at the beginning, and then she goes through this sort of metamorphosis phase where she's the spell is taking over and she's a little confused, but she's also feeling these sorts of feelings that are unnatural and also being herself a little bit. But then she becomes maniacal and she gets to do some really fun, showy maniacal stuff, and it's unsurprising that she's being talked about so much after that.
Speaker 1: You know, the mark that somebody's made it is that people start feverishly fan casting them as various superhero characters. So that's the you know, right, It's like, you know, there's other roles believe it or not, everybody is like reaching for that superhero dream and sure, sure, but right away I saw oh she's got to play Harley Quinn and I was like, well, that seems a little on the nose, doesn't it right?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you, yeah, you can imagine of course because of this, because she does a lot of creepy smiles and this incredible creepy frown. And then also Michael Johnston, who plays the guy who makes the wish, I mean, he it's a again, It's it's so good because it's so meaty. It's not just about Okay, she's under the spell. How many discussing things can she do for two hours? Like it really is about what is this like for a person under that spell? And what is it like for this person who's put that person under the spell who is kind of getting their wish come true? But then you also realize that maybe this is a bit against her will and what do you do about that? You know, do you try to fix it? Do you try to just you know, plug your ears and ignore it?
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: And he plays that sort of that person really well, you know someone who who you know, I don't want to get into it, but like it's that's I think it's also a media role, so it's there's a lot here, And I can see why this movie is doing so well because there is a lot here to enjoy versus it just being you know, grotesque and.
Speaker 1: And also.
Speaker 2: Strangely for people who can tolerate it. I can't see this being kind of an interesting date movie, you know, sort of like to discuss it afterwards.
Speaker 1: So this sounds like the perfect thing for me to go tell Amana to watch without telling her what it's about. I did the same trick earlier this year, would send help.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, she didn't know that it was kind of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just like, oh, it's like Rachel McAdams, like crash lands on this island with her boss who like doesn't like her, and she wasn't expecting what came next.
Speaker 2: But she liked it, right.
Speaker 1: I think her exact words were, I hate you for telling me to go see that, but she did like she did like the movie though, Yeah, yeah, it's a little bit like we've talked about this before, you know. I watched Fall with her, and that's another one that had she known what it was about. I don't think she would have co signed it, right, right, But that's a great bruised forearm movie, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and there's a second one coming out this year that is an official thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw the poster for it and it's but it's not the same person. I don't believe, so that that right there is disappointing. I think I've said this before. I want a franchise built on the same person ending up in this situation again and again and again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's sort of like John McClain, like, how many times can a guy end up in a tin can every Christmas?
Speaker 1: You know? Yeah, So for those of you who don't know Fall, it's about these two friends they decide to go climbing up this tower that's like three times the size of the Eiffel, Yeah, like a radio tower. Yeah, it's in like the middle of Texas or something. And then they just end up stuck there and hilarity ensues as we're living Zachi Hassan's nightmare for the next ninety minutes. You know. It's a captivating watch, but it's also it's not a pleasant watch, you know. It's one of those Yeah, yeah, I guess similar to obsession based on what you're describing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and obsession definitely more intense, grows, Like I said, some gruesome moments, but also just psychologically, I mean just thinking about it is really upsetting, really, you know, when you get down to it. But very very well done. A remarkable feature debut with by Curry Barker. I mean, just so assured and like you'd think he's been doing this for ten years.
Speaker 1: Well in that van let's shift gears slightly because I too saw a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Oh what's happening to us?
Speaker 1: Who are we this? This is a horror lampoon, I should say more accurately. It will be known now and forever as the he Man Killer. Oh no, I'm talking about scary movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, scary movie slash, Scary movie six.
Speaker 1: Scary movie six. Which of the scary movie catalog? How many have you watched?
Speaker 2: Definitely four? I don't know if I ever saw five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you saw you saw, but you saw the first three.
Speaker 2: Wait, I take that back, I did not see two.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I I've never seen too. That's what I realized after watching this one, which.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing online seems to be everyone's favorite. But yeah, I've seen one and I even saw one again recently. It's been on Pluto and I watched the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Really, so I have not. I saw it opening night back in two thousand. Yeah, I haven't seen it since then.
Speaker 2: Okay. And then yeah, then the Waynes did the one and two, and then I think like Zuckers.
Speaker 1: Did at least one man, there was some Zucker involvement. I don't know how extensive that was. Yeah, for three four and five, and then that that Zucker involvement kind of you know, they also did Superhero movie, yeah, which which is not terrible. I will say, that's.
Speaker 2: What I've heard. Yeah, I've not. I've seen chunks of it. But what about you with a scary movie.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, I I've seen bits and pieces of three four and five. I think I couldn't tell you which is which. I know. Lesley Nielsen is in one of them.
Speaker 2: I think the thing I will never forget is he plays the President and it turns out the alien and he peees out of his pointer finger, that's right, and then he like taps the pointer finger to get the drips off. That's what I remember. That's what I remember.
Speaker 1: Classy classic, So I I remember watching the first one in the theater and finding it uproariously funny. I remember very distinctly, right, I have not seen it, since I cannot speak to that, I will say watching this, I was like, man, this is.
Speaker 2: Rough, really okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just like, well, I'm I'm pushing fifty, so I'm you know, on the one hand, I'm like, well, maybe I'm just not the audience for this anymore. Then I'm like, well, I think I am the audience for this, because right so I was having this weird you know, I just it. It wasn't even like I just found the jokes mostly very broad and obvious. So it wasn't. It wasn't they were tasteless or whatever all of that you expect. But it's like the movie itself is is is following the structure of Scream, the twenty twenty one Scream. Okay, so already you're like parodying a five year old movie at this point, you know, right right right, and then you know they work in you Got, you Got, the substance is parodied, and and and get Out and like a lot of the recent stuff, we've got some sinners in there, you know. But to me, it just felt very obvious and and unfunny in that way, you know. There. I think that Marlon Wayne's who I like a lot like his character Shorty is who is in the first two. He gets like he gets a lot to do in this, and it was like way too much. Mmm, okay, because I'm like, he's just like a stoner. That's his whole thing, right, that's it. And I'm like a little goes a long way, you know, right. I think that you have Sean Wayne's playing Ray, who's like the closeted gay guy. M he he has stuff in this that I think is funnier, even though it's all very one note, but it's it's at least funny, you know. But like other than that, you know, it's like Anna Farius is doing like she's like Jamie Lee Curtiz and the Halloween reboot movies. Okay, and she's she's woven in and then and then you've got you've got a new cast to I don't I don't remember their names, but like it's again, it's it's very laborious, you know.
Speaker 2: Really wow, Okay.
Speaker 1: I I found it. I'll put it this. I found it mostly unfunny up until the very end, and I won't reveal it, but like the third the third act, as as we're winding up the story, I laughed at some of the things they did. I thought those were pretty funny. Okay, but I just you know, I my question is like how much of an afterlife do these movies have? Anyway?
Speaker 2: You know, Well, that's my question for you actually, because we had the Nicked Gun reboot recently and they did a really good job. I know, we were sort of nervous, like can they even come close to replicating that kind of humor all these years later, because it seemed unlikely we hadn't seen it in so long, And they actually did a really good job of doing a similar style of humor, which is a lot of visual gags, a lot of wordplay, and they brought it into the twenty first century. Also, it was I thought it was successful. But there were also those terrible parodies several years ago, like date Movie, Meet the Spartans, epic movie, And the problem with those was all they did was try to be like, remember this are you look at this thing? This movie? Hey, we're doing this movie now, so they'd always have to say a right, I remember they had, you know, when Britney Spears shaved her head or whatever, it was like meet the Spartan's kind of a moment exactly, So like Britney Spears would be there shaving her head and someone has to go, hey, oh no, it's Britney Spears, and then like you know, he'll kick her into the pit or something, and it's like, well, that's I hate to break it to you, that's not a joke, right, Like you could maybe work with that, maybe you can find something there. But like so, I guess my question is does this skew more that kind of parody or does this go a little bit more closer to the Naked Gun.
Speaker 1: That I think it's somewhere in the middle. Like, I don't think it's as amateurish as those other ones, you know, but I think that I think so much of the humor in this is reliant on recognizing the reference, and it's not funny on its own. Yes, I see, right, like the substance sequence unless I mean, granted I haven't seen the substance, but I'm familiar with I know. But but if I would imagine that that not everybody watching this movie has seen that, so would it just not make any sense at all, you know.
Speaker 2: So they don't take that scenario from the substance and craft jokes within it. They just present the substance and expect you to laugh at recognizing it.
Speaker 1: I think. So right, Like the there there's one bit where it's you know, the the the Marlon Wayin's character is is gets stoned and then ghost Face shows up. That's the other thing, by the way, is that is that they can they call him ghost Face And I'm like, yeah, I guess because it's all like within the same studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, paramount now.
Speaker 1: But so so ghost Face does like the teacup thing like from from get Out, okay, and then Sean or sorry Marlon Wayne's goes into the sunken place and it turns out to be a parody of K pop Demon Hunters okay, And I mean, yeah, that's that's me. I'm like, okay, yeah, I guess I was trying to imagine it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean like it becomes.
Speaker 1: It becomes like an animated Yeah. But it's like, well, I mean I don't find that funny, you know what I'm saying, Like, I totally totally.
Speaker 2: But I can understand in the heat of the moment on a Friday night, if you're excited about this, you know those things that sort of oh that's the thing, I know, and you have some sort of response to it. But to your point, is that something that's going to live on? Are you ever going to watch it again? Maybe not and probably not.
Speaker 1: But but on the other hand, you know what, they spent thirty million dollars making this movie. It made like fifty something opening weekend. Wow. Yeah, So, I mean they got their bag right, And guess what, I'm glad that the Waynes brothers who got kicked kicked to the curb before from a franchise that they started, they got to come back and sort of have their their triumphant homecoming. Good for them, you know, right, there's plenty of waynees is in here. I mean, we got we got, we got Sean and Marlon, but I saw a Damon Junior is in here. He gets a cameo, Greg Wayns, Who's Who's and Kim Wayne's is and we got we got, we got, we got a whole bunch of Waynes.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, plenty of cameos though, my gosh, lots of lots of people popping in Okay, yeah, but but largely forget about I again, I will say the last ten minutes or so, I did laugh. I found the gags and sort of the way they wound together what they were doing. I found it amusing. Okay, okay, but not enough to recommend it, you know, right.
Speaker 2: Right, So if you're feeling like this might be your thing and you just want to kick back and visit a familiar place, maybe you'll enjoy it, but you can't broad recommend it's not like yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Well, and the thought I had is it's been it's been what like twelve years I think since the last one thirteen years mm hmm. So it's like this one was playing catch up with all the shit that's like horror in thirteen years you get it. Like now, based on how this one did, they're gonna be like they're gonna have another one in theaters like next week, you know. Yeah, and it's like, well, what are you gonna what are you gonna parody? Right? Well, one presumes obsession and back rooms.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Okay, right right right right.
Speaker 1: I mean you know it kind of makes you wonder too.
Speaker 2: I saw something online where on the poster they had a squid game mask. And you know, these movies tend to be like eighty minutes, right, and you wonder if they have like two and a half hours of material, and some worked better than others, and you wonder what they did shoot that they didn't include.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well it it definitely felt. You know what I'm gonna this is like one gag which I'll I guess I'll spoil it somewhat. I'm just to make the point I'm making. So you've got you know the way the movie creates it. Anna Faris is character has has two daughters and they're in essence, Melissa Brera and Jenny Ortega, right, and and then you've got the boyfriend, who, like the whole movie is very obviously telegraphing is the killer just like Jack.
Speaker 2: So literally scream five or whatever.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, und okay, right, it's it's doing that. It starts with her name is Tuesday. That's how obvious it is. Okay, Okay, there take a character take, so so we're following them throughout and then and then we also see that there is a Halloween party at at Regina Hall's house, and you know, all the kids are there at her house. Okay, So then the doorbell rings and it's it's this is not them, but it's it's you know, Melissa Brera, Jener Ortega and Jack Quaid whatever there those characters. Yeah, but they're like the vampires from Sinners at the door. Okay, at the door and can we come in? It's like no, go away, right, and and it's like, we get it. That's the thing from Sinners. But I'm like, but why are there those why are they doing that? Like what do you get what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally totally.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't I understand the reference, but I'm not understanding it's placed in this other than you guys are like, oh, we got to do a Sinners.
Speaker 2: Thing, right, which is interesting because that does sound less like the First Scary Movie. Yeah, right, the First Scary Movie actually works as a movie, and it has references and obviously absurd things happening, but it's all within the context of that story, right where I remember there's that matrix fight between ghost Face and on A Ferris, but that's because they're scaring off, and it's like, as they're scaring off like they did In't Scream, But what if she lifted in the air like Trinity, and but it wasn't like randomly inserting, you know, punching in a moment that doesn't necessarily fit in context just because you recognize it from me.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'll say that moment in particular bump me because it it felt in congress within this movie even you know, it's funny you mentioned about Anna Faris doing the matrix thing in the first film, because in this we have her doing a John Wick basically as all these ghost trace people come at her. And I was a little thinking. I was like, man, look at that, like like twenty five years later, twenty six years we go from one Keanu to another.
Speaker 2: That's right, Wow for him? How many iconic characters as he played, right that you could do that as Shorthand and everyone knows what she's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thought I thought that was very I thought that was very funny. Yeah, so you know, I think this is I don't I don't think you need to go to the theater to see this, but but I suspect a lot of people are gonna it will be a streaming hit.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I could definitely see streaming it at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But as I said, this one ended up demolishing Masters of the Universe over the box office. But we'll talk about that later in this episode. But what the what the box office fate of he Man and Company? It may portend for the future, if there is any for that franchise. But hey, we got some listener letters.
Speaker 2: Brian, Well, I believe you have been after it for me eighteen thousand.
Speaker 1: Lass All addressed that, SA, You've got me all right. So you know, just a couple of weeks ago we dropped our commentary track for the nineteen eighty seven Masters of the Universe. Got some comments on that.
Speaker 2: Oh love to hear it.
Speaker 1: So here's a note we got from Mark la Chance who says, I remember seeing this movie in the theater when I was twelve, and I enjoy it. However, now I realize its flaws and limitations, but I can still appreciate it. Lastly, one more leading actor that was dubbed in a film. Now, if you remember, you and I we were talking about how we were debating about alf Lundgren's delivery in the eighty seven movie, and you know, we talked about how the initial intent was for his voice to bed. He said, well, it's last time that happened. I mentioned nineteen eighties Flash Gordon as one example. I think I think we were perplexed as to whether there were any others. Well, here comes Mark writing to the rescue. Great he says that Clinton Spillsbury was dubbed. That's not a made up name, Brian, that's a real person. Doesn't that sound like something like, what's your name? Son? It's Clinton Spillsbury?
Speaker 2: It totally does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, real guy. He starred in nineteen eighty one's Legend of the Lone Ranger. Huh did you know that movie exists?
Speaker 2: I know, I didn't.
Speaker 1: So this is a movie not to be confused with the twenty thirteen one. It stars, as we said, Clinton Spillsbury, who was apparently dubbed. I think I knew that. I may have blocked it up. But also Christopher Lloyd plays the villain in that movie. Okay, he plays the guy that you know in the recent one, William what's his name? William Fickner played him. Okay, same guy. So that that movie it was. It flopped. It's another infamous flop. You think they would learn, right, They keep conect to like, I don't think people are into the Lone Ranger anymore. That's my sense. But that film when it came out, it was meant to be. It was meant to do for the Lone Ranger, what like what you know Superman did for for well, for Superman, you know, okay, Christopher uh did not happen obviously, But at that time, Clayton Moore, who had played the Lone Ranger on the on television in like the nineteen fifties and stuff, he was a he was an older fella, and he would make appearances, you know, as the Lone Ranger. Okay, so like he would go to places and you know, meet meet the original Loan Ranger, and the studio making this movie made him stop. And it became this like big story.
Speaker 2: Because they wanted everyone to think of this movies Lone Ranger as the Lone Ranger.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly, they're like, hey, old man, take off the mask.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sad. And it's so things have changed so much now, right, I mean, these meet and greet sorts of things are so enormous these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh. So I think there was that bit of bad you know, bad karma slash bad publicity, right, which may have sunk the movie.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: My recollection is it's not very good. It's been a long time since I've seen it.
Speaker 2: But you know, well, it's interesting you say that this was hoping to be like the next Superman in that moment, and it's funny because the twenty thirteen Lone Ranger feels like it was trying to be the next Pirates of the Caribbean.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, Well, we see a trend, you know, tall things this season, and some of these things are just not meant to live on in the same way that they did. You know, not everything gets to be Batman. Yeah, it's true, right, or Superman? I guess, I guess Superman is an evergreen right?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Mark continues. I also didn't realize there was a post credits scene in the eighty seven Masters of Universe. I'll have to check that out. No, you don't need to, it's fine or you on YouTube. Yeah exactly, you don't have to rewatch the whole movie for that. Let me spoil it for you. It's just Franklenzella poking his head out of water saying I'll be back spoiler alert. He did not in fact come back, right, He says, I don't think that's the first post credit scene in film history. In the movie Young Sherlock Holmes from nineteen eighty five, the main villain is actually revealed to be Mori Yardy in a post credits scene when he signs the register at an inn. Now, I have not seen Young Sherlock Holmes since the late eighties.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've ever seen it.
Speaker 1: Oh you've never seen it. Oh it's a good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I only know it as the first movie to have a full character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, it's I mean, might be worth revisiting. I suppose, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny too, because now, of course people attribute to post credit sequences to Marvel films and say, like, you know, nobody left Masters of the Universe when I saw it, because we're all thinking, well, there must be a post credit sequence here, because Marvel has conditioned us with these big blockbusters like Blasps. Wow, I'm not even gonna cut that out. That's staying. Uh. You anticipate most big blockbusters are going to have some sort of joke in the middle of the credits and a setup for something else at the end. Right, But growing up in the eighties. All the John Hughes movies had those, right Farris Bueller obviously, Planes, Trains and Automobiles has the ad executive from the beginning of the movie still looking at the two mock ups, like and I think there's a Thanksgiving turkey on the table, implying that he's been there for several days. That's in front of the credits, and then Adventures and Babysitting Nut John Hughes. But you know, a bad guy follows a girl out to the outside of a skyscraper. Then after the credits, you see he's still stuck on the skyscraper. So that like used to be a thing. Yeah, and then it feels like they went away for a little bit. And then Marvel, you know, conditioned us to no matter what the movie is, now we expect there to be a post credits scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every Yeah, I mean, like I'm trying to think of, like even in terms of Marvel, Like, what what was it like, cause I stuck around for iron the end of Iron Man, and I'm like, how did I know to do that? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean was there online chatter like don't leave?
Speaker 1: Must have been in fact, you and I and Sean we watched Iron Man together and we all I must have read somewhere like, oh, there's a thing after the credits.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: By the way, just in case anyone's wondering the same thing I was, I just googled it. This is off of Wikipedia, so I don't know, but it says the first general release film to feature a post credits scene is The Silencers from March nineteen sixty six. Wow, And it features Dean Martin. He's on us rotating sofa with densecantly clad women and during the scene, text overlays are.
Speaker 1: They just filming his life?
Speaker 2: And then they just put it in right right, and it says coming up next, so maybe it was setting up a sequel or something. And then the next one it lists is nineteen seventy nine of them up at movie so wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there was a big gap there.
Speaker 2: According to Wikipedia and what they've listed here, and then and then it says airplane young Sherlock Holmes, Masters of the Universe, skeletory at the bottom of a pit saying I'll be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what what like? What does the two thousands look like?
Speaker 2: Contemporary film examples all five Pirates of the Caribbean films, Napoleon, Dynamite, Daredevil. I remember that Bullseye when he's in the full body cast. It's like a mid credit scene. Okay, x men, the Last Stand I remember that. Yeah, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Uh well, I don't know if this is matrix reloaded. That wasn't That was a trailer for the next trailer. Yeah, I call foul come on now, Uh yeah, well then, of course not. It's getting into Marvel basically.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, it's easier to blame Marvel as people. All right. Nowadays it's like all Marvel ruined everything.
Speaker 2: Right, right, But it was with the Masters of the Universe. I mean, I was just convinced. I knew there would be something.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I did not stick around for the final final post credit scene because I thought that was just the the two the earlier too.
Speaker 2: You know, something told me because the movie seemed a little reverential for the first one by giving delfh Lungrin an entire scene and not just one line. In passing, I wondered if they felt like compelled, they would feel compelled to put something at the end, like.
Speaker 1: The to mirror the end the post credit scene of the eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they did.
Speaker 1: They did. Indeed, we'll talk more about Master's Universe in a second. Oh. Actually, on one other comment we got this is also about voiceovers. This is from mister Roro on YouTube says, I don't know of a recent voice over dubbed, but zach Efron's singing voice was dubbed over in the first High School Musical. So I know you've always wondered about that, Brian.
Speaker 2: He was just he was He was so handsome, and like, well, we need that face, we need the face. Just tell you something about that voice.
Speaker 1: Just the just the singing voice. Anyway, thank you for that. And got some headlines here, Brian extra. So we're talking about Masters of the Universe. The big question is what does the future of this franchise look like? Does it have a future? It? It opened in a way that I have to say, you and I have been absolutely consistent about that this movie was not going to do well. Yeah, I mean we as soon as the first trailer dropped, you and I talked about it and we were both like, well, Amazon, MGM about to lose a lot of money on this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean the main reason was maybe the window for this ip has all but closed at this point, you know, I mean, this is something that would appeal to us and people our age. But I don't know, I know there have been other iterations of he Man throughout the years, but I don't feel like, you know, a ten year old in this day and age knows what he Man is and is asking their parents to go see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was an uphill battle for it.
Speaker 1: It was always an uphill battle. And you know, this film has been you know, a hypothetical for as long as we've been making this podcast. Yeah, we've said pretty consistently the window is closing, you know. We were saying that like ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So it indeed has closed based on at least just the box office. But I think I think there's a comma at the end of that rather than a period, because yeah, look, we're a far cry from whatever the first Michael Bay movie Transformers movie made, you know, twenty years ago almost, and if you remember, in the aftermath of the first Transformer, they were trying to get like g I Joe out the door and all this other stuff. I think this one two was a result of Barbie doing as well as it did.
Speaker 2: I believe it or not. I completely forgot about the Mattel connection. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And I think what Barbie had gone for was several factors. One, Barbie has never ever gone away be you know, Greta Gerwig had a point of view, and see, you know Margot Robbie was sort of a zeitgeisty star at that moment, right, So it was this unique alchemy of premise filmmaker and star working together. And so I certainly understand Mattel just jumping on that being like, hey, he man, you know Hot Wheels.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Hot Wheels is somewhere in the development pipeline infinitely. But yeah, it was always like, again, as I say this as a fan, it's like, look, it burned white hot from like eighty two to eighty six, and it's ever burn that hot again. And that's okay. So, as you and I discussed, it's like, well, at the end of the day, do we have a movie that we liked? Yeah, you know, and at least for me, that's all I need. I can't remember if I said this to you, but but exactly thirty years ago to the date, like the same weekend thirty years ago, another movie opened that I happened to like quite a bit, which flopped catastrophically, which is The Phantom.
Speaker 2: Mmm, wow, thirty years ago. I was thinking further back. He said thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty years ago. And then you know, exactly thirty five years ago this summer was The Rocketeer. And you know, my point is, it's like, look, don't I don't need a shared cinematic universality of this stuff. I don't need trilogies or anything. I'm like, just give me one movie that I enjoy. I'm I'm I've had one he Man movie for forty years. Now there's two and that's fine.
Speaker 2: You know yeah, And you you saying Rocketeer is the perfect example that makes me understand because that came out when I was young. I wasn't really following box office. I just knew I loved it. I've always loved it. I still love it. I watch it now and I think it completely holds up. I think it is a wonderful movie. And I don't even think about I'm sure the executives back in the you know who are working at Disney at the time thought a lot about its performance, but that doesn't have anything to do with how I feel about that movie. Yeah, it's just a wonderful movie that I'm always going to get to enjoy. And so it's unfortunate in this moment for the people who have money in on Masters of the Universe. But to your point, we've got a great movie that a lot of people have enjoyed. Most people I've seen who've watched it, critics and fans and everyone alike, have enjoyed it. And we will always have it and that's nice that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is acknowledging that, you know, not everybody loved it, you know. I Luke Smail sent us a note sort of listing the reasons didn't work for him, and he's not a loan you know. I think some people had issues with the tone. Yeah, you know, it was a little joke or whatever, you know, and Marvel hashtag Marvel ruins everything, you know, and I want to acknowledge that. Look, the tone's not gonna work for everybody. So so it's not like it's it's without flaw, right, But I agree with you in that, by and large, it seems to me that folks who are checking it out are coming out like that was that was fun?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: And and you know, I've seen it just since we last record, I've seen it twice more so, I've seen it three times total. I've enjoyed it each time. I've seen it with a different uh, you know, a group of people each time, you know, different group of kids. My kids all have enjoyed it. My wife loved it, Oh my, oh good, she was just over the moon. My brother loved it. For me, my brother and I we we watched the original one in you know, in eighty seven, so we were like, oh, we're going to go see this one, and that was just a very surreal experience for me just having that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so the movie it to me, it's.
Speaker 1: Like it's another John Carter or any of these one and done's that are just fine. You know. However, I saw a piece up at Nerdous with which I thought was interesting just looking at the reaction of the film in terms of, yes, the budget is astronomical and it doesn't make a lot of sense, but factoring in well, Amazon had to have known that, They're like that was a lot of money to spend on this, so like, what was the thinking behind it? And it's it's you know, I saw a statement from somebody from Amazon. It was like, well, it's performing, you know, in line with what we expected, and we're you know, it's gonna have a long afterlife on our platform or whatever. And I'm like, well, a lot of that's a little coia, right, Like I wouldn't like, if I'm hoping for a sequel, I wouldn't take heart in a statement like that. Yeah, yeah, Like what are they gonna say, Oh, we shit the bed with this one bad? Obviously they're not gonna do that. But I I find it interesting that a lot of the discussion I've seen online has been something in the vein of, you know, they should have put it on streaming, and and I'm like, how fascinating isn't that fascinating? Like how like like we're now we're we're at the point where obsession and back rooms, which would have been the streaming movies five years ago, Yes, those are the theater movies. And this we're like, it's put it on streaming. Voltron, that's going to streaming, right?
Speaker 2: Saw that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right? And and and think about it, right, like two years ago, you and I watched Axel Foley Yeah right, right right, And and the conversation we had at the time was like, why didn't they put this in theaters? And then now I kind of like the that may have been the smart move, not putting in theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because then it wouldn't have maybe a stigma yees do it if it didn't perform.
Speaker 1: Right, because remember just the year prior to Axel f was in the five Yeah, which was also a famous calamity in terms of how much they spent versus much they made. But we're seeing the trend here, which is that you know, our time in the sun is rapidly dwindling.
Speaker 2: When you say are who are you referring to us old, our stuff, the stuff?
Speaker 1: We yeah, well, let me let me let me quote you. This portion from Nervous says, so what becomes of mo tw next? Should Mattel give up all attempts at making the brand relevant and just keep selling high end replicas of older toys to its AARP ready audience. So a little piece of me died when I read that sentence as I nervously glance at my power Sword replica on my shelf. So I don't know. You know, this is from Nerdous. They say Amazon MGM should simply read the tea leaves on the non theatrical future of Masters universe and release the film to prime video now. Don't wait two or three months. Do it in three weeks, drop it while the film is still in the conversation. If the streaming numbers are good, then pivot and let Motu become a streaming franchise. And weirdly, I look at that and I'm like, you know, maybe that might not be the worst idea.
Speaker 2: I as long as I get one more chance to check it out on the big screen, because I do want to. Yeah, yeah, maybe not. I mean, this is twenty twenty six. If that works for that and that, I'm glad they made it. I want them to be rewarded for making it, if that's what's gonna help them get make it most successful for them and profitable and whatever new metric sure sure. So.
Speaker 1: One data point I think is worth mentioning here when we talk about Amazon sort of having a plan, is that as soon as the movie was released, they put the four K Blu ray up for pre order, and which is fast. I think, yeah, yeah, And it's been like the number one pre ordered, number one seller in that category in Amazon, like since since it went up.
Speaker 2: See that's cool, right.
Speaker 1: If that's really just just anecdotal, maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it's a data point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not something that could have happened in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So there's just so many unique factors right now, and I'm having to catch up to like, oh, well, it's only in theaters for a couple of weeks, and that must mean that it's this you know, it's it's not gonna make its money back and that makes me feel bad. But it's like, well, no, we've got Dreaming to account for, and they're going to license it out to you know, who knows who else to stream it. And the four K is already number one seller. I mean, that's not something we ever had when we were kids. We had to wait a year for the home video release of anything. So they have, like you said, these executives probably had this mapped out.
Speaker 1: They they must have some kind of metric knowing that this movie is going to be living on that service for you know, and and it'll be a driver of traffic. And then and then again, if you've got these ancillarious things, like like the people people pre ordering the disc tells me, well, they're they're already. People are like I want to watch this again. I want to have it so I can revisit it, right, And and yeah, I mean I I don't begin to know what the calculations are as far as merch and how that's split between Mattel and and and and MGM Amazon, But I don't know interesting data point anyway, Yeah, yeah, Like I I could easily see a situation where a sequel is has more of an audience because of goodwill from the first one. I just think that this is this isn't like a Batman Begins situation where the first one did reasonably well and then the second one just blew up right right like this, I mean, this is a there's no spinning this. This is a catastrophe in terms of money spent versus money out, you know. Yeah, but anyway, I just I just I find all of this interesting in terms of realizing that, yeah, you know, twenty years ago was probably the peak window to put this out there. And you're like, well, this is primarily a gen X franchise, and you know gen X Millennial to some extent, and you know that window is is rapidly closing, if not closed already.
Speaker 2: And like you were saying earlier, they can't all be batman like some things are just going to have their windows closed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially when we talk about nineteen eighties kidvid. You know we've discussed this before. Other than Transformers and Turtles, nothing else has hung in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ThunderCats, all right, all that stuff Inspector Gadget, ThunderCats movie ain't happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, sorry for anybody who was hoping to see a live action Shitara, not me. I'm just in general, if anybody who is hoping to that, it probably won't happen. Sorry.
Speaker 2: That reminds me. By the way. So speaking of algorithms and the things we're seeing, I have this thing now. It's AI generated and it shows a red carpet for a movie premiere of eighties cartoons. I mean this sounds so of course this has like been sent to me, but I remember there was one for Inspector Gadget and I got it looks incredible, like the lighting is perfect, and it's Jim Carrey as Inspector Gadgets.
Speaker 1: And oh, that's what they should have done in the nineties, right.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's the thing. The casting is always perfect. And then what was the one? Oh I saw ThunderCats and it was Margot Robbie as Chaitara.
Speaker 1: Oh perfect, it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's really well done. Do you ever see these?
Speaker 1: I have not seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'm gonna send them to you and infect your.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna screw up my altho too?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, you love it.
Speaker 2: It's right up your alley.
Speaker 1: Oh you know you mentioned Inspector Gadget And I feel like, weirdly that that late nineties movie may have put just enough juice in the tank for them to come back like that. That's the thing that people may have nostalgia for.
Speaker 2: Isn't that hilarious? I've noticed that because I'm a big Inspector Gadget person. That was one of my huge cartoons as a kid. Yeah, And so when I sometimes will google it or look things up, or I'm like, did they ever are the old episodes anywhere?
Speaker 1: Do they make new episodes?
Speaker 2: I'm noticing there's a lot of nostalgia for. Yeah, that Matthew Broderick one, which I'm like, oh, fascinating, that is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so you know that may be one that gets another turn at the grinder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we shall see.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hey, speaking of a belated sequels, the truth is, no matter how much time passes, the windows never completely closed. Because look at this. They just announced this week that a twenty four Jump Street is in the works. This is a new Jump Street sequel. Now you you may realize that they skipped twenty three Jump Street. Yeah, so we got twenty one Jump Street in twenty twelve, and then twenty fourteen or twenty two, and then and then twelve years later twenty four Jump Street. So that's a clever meta acknowledging that it's been a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and at the end of twenty two Jump Street they do set up twenty three Jump Street, do you remember that? Well, yeah, and they set up like through thirty something Yeah, yeah, exactly. So I don't know if that's in reference to that or whatever, but those movies have been on Pluto lately. I almost always stop on them, and they are just like a joke a minute, Yeah, and they and they land. You know, it's I really really enjoy those movies. So when I saw that they were making another one, this is something I'm I'm like perfect. I really love the brand of humor. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are hilarious together. I would definitely want more of this. So this is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm looking at Variety. Here it says a third installment of the franchise has been development at Tony for more than a decade. Remember they were they were plotting a Men in Black crossover.
Speaker 2: Which don't you wish we could have kind of seen what that was?
Speaker 1: Well, Channing Tatum has said that's the best script he ever read. Well, which maybe just to comment on the type of scripts he's getting. I don't know, there's that, But also, I mean that's what they all say, that the unmade one.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but when that never leaked? Did it in the Sony leak?
Speaker 1: I that's it, not the script but the the I wasn't that when it first got out that they were thinking about doing that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so it says here again, this is this is from Variety. Why skip ahead to twenty four Jump Street for starters. Sony's Jump Street movies are already a self aware reboot plus the code of twenty two Jump Streets. He's Schmidt and Jenko take on a series of other undercover missions that could serve as a potential twenty three Jump Street. The duo infiltrated middle School, medical School, culinary School, Firefighters School, Dance School, Da Da Da Da eventually become a video game animated series. Thus Sony titling the fourth Cooming film, twenty four Jump Street, continues the running gag. At present, Tatum only has an offer to return for twenty four Jump Street. Negotiations are expected to take place soon.
Speaker 2: But Lord and Miller are not.
Speaker 1: They're producing, Yeah they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they won't be directing. But I guess someone named Rodney Rothman who directed or co directed one of the Into the Spider Verse movies. Yes, we're doing this, So so it's in the Lord and Miller family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well see, now Lord and Miller are you know they're too they're too high falutin now now that they've got their like dramatic success.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You know, I've seen enough stories like this drop where it's like, hey, another one of these in the works. X fill in the blank franchise, m that I'm slightly I'm not getting too excited.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Because it feels like this could very well be like at testing the waters strategic drop you know.
Speaker 2: You know, I bet because they do track you know how many times things are referenced on social media and whatever. So maybe it's like, yeah, they they put a little drop of blood in the water and see how many people bite.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Now that said, I think it is a good idea, and I feel like we're talking about windows closed saying this. This pretty much is like your window. Yeah, maybe another couple of years. But it's very hard to get Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum to pass for students anymore, right, right, right, right, Suppose they could pretend to be teachers, right, that would be the next lotch Oh that's good. Right, yeah, but yeah, I've said this before in the in the second Jump Street movie, when Channing Tatum figures out that that Jonah Hill slept with with Ice Cube's daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: I I have never laughed that hard in a movie theater, Like I was doubling over, like for the rest of the movie my stomach was hurt.
Speaker 2: You're still thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my god, it just brilliant, so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I will watch this, oh same, Yeah, and then like you said, speaking windows, I mean, this could inject new life into this thing. And then you get two more if it were we.
Speaker 1: Had a whole roadmap after the post credits scene.
Speaker 2: And that's right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be talking about this fella's latest release in just a little bit. But Steven Spielberg's making the rounds, Brian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's I was telling you, it's pretty fascinating with Steven Spielberg because he is very gregarious and he does good interviews. But if you start to watch a lot of his interviews, you begin to notice that they're a little crafted.
Speaker 1: They're pre produced.
Speaker 2: Pre produced, like he has his talking points, and he tends to repeat his talking points in his stories when you know, we of course would enjoy any new morsels, you know, just about himself and his process and all these things, but he always sort of gives us exactly the amount he's going to give us, right, And he doesn't do director's commentaries explaining his films, And when he talks about his films, he tends to tell the same storyorries about them right that we've heard before, and he doesn't do long form interviews until now. We were noticing that in the lead up to Disclosure Day, Spielberg has really been making the rounds, pounding the pavement more than I think I have ever seen. And that involves or includes him being in a bunch of podcasts as a guest. Yeah, and it's been kind of exciting for me. I mean I listened to him on the podcast It's called on Film with Kevin McCarthy, nice long form podcast where he discusses craft. And then just before we got on, I was listening to The Rewatchables and they had him for over two hours amazing talking about the movie two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's sort of the launching, you know, discussion like, okay, let's talk about two thousand and one. But then that will inspire questions like, oh, well, that's interesting because in this movie that reminds me of what you do and Raiders of the Lost Arc and would you mind talking about what that was like that experience, And you start getting these stories I've never heard before where he's talking about meeting Stanley Kubrick or having dinner with him or I just heard him talking about he didn't like The Shining when he first saw it. Spielberg and he went and had dinner with Kubrick, and Kubrick was like, so, what did you think of the Shining? And he's like, oh, it's great, Stanley, and he goes, you didn't like it? What? No? I know? And he goes, well, he goes, tell me what you missed? What wasn't there that you wanted? And so he talked about the things from the book, you know, the topiary animals coming to life, and he's like, ah, it would have been cool to kind of see that. And he goes, well, what did you think of Jack Nicholson? And he's like, well, I love Jack, but it's a little big you know. And he's like, it's almost Kubuki performance, you know what he's doing here. And then he said, you know, people can listen to the conversation. But then Kubrick Spielberg is like, sharing this with us. Kubrick explained these decisions and the performance decisions with Jack Nicholson, and Spielberg was like, I see it now and it's just my gosh, news stories, interesting stories, personal stories with him and not just Kubrick, but he talks about the Palma and Lucas and all these other people, and it's just what a time as a Spielberg fan to get to hear all these long form conversations with him right now. So it's I'm really happy about that. But you and I were also saying, it's also a little indicative of this maybe is the first time Spielberg's felt like he's had to go out there and do this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: He's not the top of the heap anymore, right, Like.
Speaker 2: He needs to go out there and spread the word a little bit about his movie because when we were growing up, I mean certainly in the eighties nineties, he didn't have to lift a finger. You know, Spielberg Movie's coming out. We were there, the world was there. Yeah. And the last few movies he's had, which have been very good, the post Fableman's West Side Story, they have.
Speaker 1: Not performed right.
Speaker 2: And there's been the COVID of it all and all that stuff to factor in as well, but they have not been the taken the world by storm the way that his movie is used to. And so now you see him like, okay, like I'll go out there I'll talk about my movie. You know, more than we've ever seen him before.
Speaker 1: He has to job own it a little more than than he's used to having to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, have you watched any of these conversations or I've.
Speaker 1: Seen not not what you're describing, but I I saw him on a Colbert Show about a month ago, and and I was thinking, like, you know, there there's a short list right of people of like directors who who would show up on late night shows, m right, and and Colbert is one of one of the ones who can who would do that because he had he had Christopher Nolan also, oh right, Yeah, yeah, I think I think that the the movie landscape, I mean, this is this is just one of those things where you and I we have been around long enough to see all of the the waves, you know, how these things go. And and I think it, you know, I think there's a discussion and I had before where it's like every director gets a certain number of at bats and and at some point, you know, just the the the zeitgeist moves on, and you know that's sort of where Spielberg is at right now.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a fascinating case, right because everyone still knows who he is, and I do feel like there is still a reverence for him. I mentioned this on the show, but you know, the first trailers for Disclosure Day weren't doing a ton for me, right, and they weren't give me a lot. I wasn't quite sure I was. I wasn't finding something to hook onto necessarily, but of course I was going to go, it's Spielberg, it's Aliens, all that. But I was picking up on and I had multiple experiences of this people next to me not quite jiving with the trailer, and then as soon as it said from Steven Spielberg, I multiple times I heard people go oh, you know, like sort of ugh huh. And then there are these two young people next to me. I told the story and I'm like, what does he mean to them? You know, like does he I don't know. And when the thing ended, I heard someone go eh, and then the other kid went well but Spielberg, and I was like, Okay, So, I mean he's not dominating like he used to, but I do feel like people still look to him as elevated. Yeah, so we'll see. Though. The frustrating part about recording this episode is this is before it's really come out, so we have no idea how this is going to do. I'm very curious.
Speaker 1: Well how about this, Brian, why don't you and a guy let's let's go see it, okay, and then we'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: Look forward to.
Speaker 1: It, see you soon, all right, see you in a couple hours. Okay, And now we're pleased to bring our features and we are back. And you know who else is back? Brian?
Speaker 2: Who's that, Zachie?
Speaker 1: Why it's Steven Spielberg making his movie.
Speaker 2: Making his movie.
Speaker 1: He has a certain what we're seeing now is like a trend line that he that he tends to gravitate right.
Speaker 2: Back towards I see what you're saying now. Yes, absolutely, this seems.
Speaker 1: About every twenty years or so. It seems like.
Speaker 2: Exactly this is. This is always running in the back of his mind, and every now and then he goes back to it because he loves it so much.
Speaker 1: We see where his heart truly lies. I should say, before we even get to our discussion of disclosure day, you and I we were talking about how he's been making the rounds every which way, you know, and he was on the Josh Horowitz podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't heard that one yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just saw some clips on YouTube and I you know, he basically he did what you do. It's just like asking all the questions. And he said, did did Elliott and e t ever meet again? And Spielberg says, they never met again, but Elliott always dreamed about him because of you know, when Et touched him on his forehead, he created a psychic link that he had for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: Ah. I like that, you know, when you said the question like did they ever meet again? I was literally leaning forward like this was like world news, like and what did he say? Well?
Speaker 1: And I love that that Spielberg beyond just know he actually thought it through.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: And then the second question was whether Roy Neary ever returned home? Oh my gosh, yes, and he said yes, yes, he did, just like all the other people you know in that we see in close encounters who came back eventually.
Speaker 2: Right, it's like a fairy like they take people, then bring them back, then pick up new people bring them back.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there you go. So I'm those are just the snippets that I saw.
Speaker 2: I you know, it's been interesting He's been on so many different podcasts that have different formats. Yeah, it's been kind of nice because I listened to one where he talked a little bit more about technical craft. Now this person is asking the questions that I would be asking, and I'm really excited to hear that. And then of course the two thousand and one one was amazing because you get to hear him geek out about a movie that he loves.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So this is ah what a time I know.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of time, it has been about twelve hours since you and I watched Disclosure Day. Yes, yes, I will say I went to a seven o'clock screening last night and that joint was packed really and that made me happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw. I want to say the Thursday night box office was around twelve million I saw, which is really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is good. Yeah, okay, okay, yeah, well do you do you want to get the ball rolling? Oh? Man?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. So I am thankful we had a lot of time to process. Yeah, because much like when your favorite band comes out with a new album, you know, you know all their previous albums, they touch your soul in a way they remind you of moments of your life, you have deep connections with them. So when this isn't just like a summ or movie coming out. This is one of my favorite artists in my lifetime presenting something new and just like you know you that happens with a new album and you're like, Okay, great, I heard it. I might need a couple listens to really understand how this fits with me or how I connect with this. I do feel that experience a little bit with this. So this these are first impressions, and I would say I was a little surprised how much I had to process afterwards. This wasn't an immediate thing where I had, oh this these are my feelings about this movie. I would say, uh, I enjoyed my time with it a lot, but I can't say I ever felt fully all in dude.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just like people sometimes are like, do you guys always agree and I promise, I'm like, I promise we don't talk about it beforehand, but I'm just like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, this is gonna I have been counting the minutes to this discussion so.
Speaker 1: Literally as I was walking out of the theater, my second Mikile goes, what did you think? And I said, I said I liked it, and then I paused, I was like, I liked the swing. Yeah, And that's kind of where I'm at. I'm like, there is a lot in this that I really admired, and there's a lot that is singularly Spielberg. I don't think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Wow, we have some sort of psychic link between us here. We're holding that little metal piece, hands clasped together, I guess, And oh my gosh, I can't wait to dive into this. I can talk about this for an hour, but I'll say this right off the bat because I really did try, and I actually did write this down so I could say this clearly. But I was trying to figure out specifically how to express what I was feeling and what I was wrestling with a little bit. So bear with me here. Thinking about his previous alien movies, they're never necessarily about the aliens.
Speaker 1: Sure, so by way of context, we have War of the World's two thousand and five, Yeah, well, nineteen eighty two, and then Close Encounters seventy eight exactly, So.
Speaker 2: With et that movie is actually about loneliness and fear and friendship, and it's about two souls that needed one another and they make a connection and it's beautiful. And I watch it forty years on and I still my heart melts right and close encounters to me, I think it could be about different things to different people, But to me, that movie is about belief and it's something that you're you specifically, are grappling with that others may not understand, but that thing is very real and present to you, and it may drive you crazy, but it's a belief that you can't resist and you have to reach out and try to touch and understand. And what I love about that movie is at the end, his belief is rewarded in really wondrous and cathartic ways. Right this movie, I think it's about the potential for the truth capital t and a greater perspective of the universe, you know, possibly being able to unite a fractured world. And I like that theme, but I don't know that the execution of that theme resonated with me as strongly as the themes in those other movies I mentioned. Yeah, And I don't know if it's because I didn't quite connect with the characters. I don't know if I didn't quite connect with the world the way it was depicted, you know, like I'm with Roy Neary in his mania, I'm with Henry Elliott in his loneliness and the kinship and everything. And I never quite was able to resonate with what this movie was presenting to me to get me completely on board with the theme. So we'll talk about in spoilers. I thought the ending was very cool, but it didn't land as powerfully for me as I'm seeing some other people say. And and it's still a rip roaring yarn, but I think for me this one might be more in line with something like War the.
Speaker 1: World's Yeah, I would put it in the in the same category.
Speaker 2: Ash, Yeah, that less than his more emotionally impactful films. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if I can draw comparison to you know, one of his recent films, which was positioned as kind of a throwback to to his his Popcornspielberg era, you know, Ready one is a movie that as soon as it ended, I was like, I did not like that at all. I did not like it on a bench, I did not like just not at all. You know, it just did not work for me. And that's fine. I know people listening who liked him, that's great. It's just for me personally, and it felt like he wasn't into it. That was my I felt his disinterest in the material.
Speaker 2: You know what, that almost feels like just real fastle's scuse. I don't want hijack you, but it feels like what Zamechis does where he's almost more interested in the technology than the craft of it, the craft than the story. And that's where Zamechis is gonna drift. And that feels like that was his little dabbling in that.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Yeah, And so you know, anyway, all that is to say, that's not a movie I felt compelled to to revisit for just the reason. This one. I never doubted how how connected to the material Spielberg was. Yeah, and I I appreciated that aspect of it. I could, I could feel his warmth for what was being said. I think the film let me actually, let me start by saying what what I what I did like quite a bit. I think I think this was a fantastic performance by Emily Blunt. Oh yeah, probably one of her best and honestly I think the entire top line cast. I thought Josh O'Connor was great. Coleman Domingo is having quite the moment. He's fantastic in this, like everybody's you know, Colin further, like Eve Houston. I thought it was fantastic yep, right, So so I liked all of them. I I do feel like this and this is not a spoiler, because I mean it's in all the trailers that I mean, it's it's a story about aliens. I mean literally the last trailer, like two weeks ago, is just Spielberg talking to the camera like, so what if aliens were real? You know, like right, right, right. So I don't feel like I'm spoiling anything, but I do feel that to a large extent, the story terrain that this movie exists in no longer feels new, right, because we're living in a post X Files and posts like all these things world.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: It it feels a little familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not as novel as you would expect from him, yes, right.
Speaker 1: And then and then related, but almost contradictory. I feel like it's it's assuming a knowledge of the inner workings of this world. Yes, yes, that I feel like it was like, bro, I think you got to feel some of this in a little bit.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, because there's you get glimpses of what's happening in that world in the movie, but it's you know, talking heads on the news, and I was like, wait, wait, wait, I didn't catch that. What like, yeah, right, and I got the gist, right, but uh, yeah, I agree, it's a pretty important component.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think just to pick up on what you were saying, I think that in order for the third act to land more effectively, I think we needed a greater sense of sort of the world, like what was happening in the world. And this is this is me trying very hard to talk around spoilers. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like, let me let me just say, for anybody listening and you want you want to get my non spoiler thoughts there, it is there's a lot to admire and if you like Spielberg, if you have enjoyed his work, then then this is this is not an insubstantial entry in his catalog. But it's not a movie I can wholeheartedly recommend, and I don't know that it's a movie I'm gonna end up rewatching a ton I it used to come.
Speaker 2: Yes, I definitely. Well, I know for a fact that you and I are going to be seeing it again.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: But I'm looking forward to that because, like I said, I mean, it is important to note, speaking for myself, just how much anticipation I have for this man's work. I am now happy that I know what it is and if experienced it, and I do feel like this is I am giving a valid take on my feelings on it right now, but I am very curious watching it a second time if it will play a little smoother for me or something, or possibly the flaws stick out more that's possible. Yeah, and I guess too. I mean, I'm really looking forward to diving into this because there's a lot that I liked also, but yeah, I wanted to at least set the tone for what I walked out with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one thing I'll say is, you know, my man knows how to execute on action sequences, like he still got it. You know what. There is a scene involving a car and a train, I'll say, yep, where I'm just like, I'm just like leaning back taking it in.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I'm like my man, I know.
Speaker 2: Actually there, Well there's two things there. We'll get into spoilers about one of them, but there was there's a set piece in here when I went there, you are there, you are it is. It is action, It is wondrous. It is something I've never seen before. It's delightful. And I was like, wow, okay, we did. That was the thing that I felt like I got from him that was new that I was like, oh, I love it. I love it only from you, only from you. And the thing that I can say that isn't a spoiler. I mean this is clear in the trailers that Colin Firth is the antagonist. And in the opening scene when he's introduced this, the camera is spinning around an suv slowly kind of revealing all these you know, henchmen kind of taking position or whatever. And then someone opens a door and the camera pushes in on the door and so the window frame frames Colin Firth as a light is shining down the top of his head and it's like, ah, I was like, yes, like I'm sitting down for fill a you know, like I just nobody does that stuff. And so the the technical stuff is fully here and just so delicious.
Speaker 1: Absolutely And one other thing I'd like to say is as the movie ends, and you know, the credits come up, and I'm just sort of sitting and just like watching the credits, letting it come in and letting this great score wash over me. And then you know, it says music by John Williams, And there's that part of me where I'm like, is this the last Steven Spielberg film with music by John Williams? You know, you can't help but have that thought.
Speaker 2: I did, and I people got up and left and I did not move until the lights came up.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's it's it's John Williams. You know, yep. I was like, I what else can you say?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. You spoilers, Yeah, I mean that's there's really not much else we can say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. Spoiler all right, go for it.
Speaker 2: You know what I really loved. I loved Emily Blunt's character.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved her being this weather girl and her kind of okay relationship with her boyfriend. And then when she suddenly starts speaking other languages, I thought that was really fun. And then she also has this you know, sort of psychic impath ability and we've seen things sort of like that, but the way that they employ that in this movie and the way that she portrays it was just that was magical. And specifically when they are, you know, surrounded by the bad guys and then she appears to Firth as his wife. Yeah, like, what a an amazing thing and it was captured so magically. And then everyone sees, you know, like a mentor figure or a son or a you know, or daughter I think it is, you know, and and that's how they're able to escape from the warehouse.
Speaker 1: And I was like, wow, so that part by this is just how my brain works. But you know, yeah, we're seeing she's like, it's like he sees this. One guy sees an old man, he's like, I always loved you, like a son. And that's one lady. She sees a little Girl's like, oh, we're gonna go play it right. And I just thought it'd be funny if one, like one person just sees a clown who's just like Bongo forgives you and we just move it like there's like no explanation, We have no idea what that means. This is how my brain works.
Speaker 2: That is hilarious, dude.
Speaker 1: But I and then at the very end, when we have the montage of all the people who are watching, we see Bongo the clown, and we're like, huh.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh there he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, sorry, go on. I just I had that thought in my head. I was like, I need to mention this because I I forget dude. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: You know. I remember thinking of a joke too during the movie, and I didn't I didn't write it down, And now I'm like, ah, I wish I could share with zech. But I thought she there was an amazing performance. Yea, and she she plays all that so well. That moment where she's it's you know, we've seen it over and over in the trailer where she's sort of possessed a little bit and speaking that clicking language. I was wondering how that would play because I've seen it like a hundred times. But it's great, Like it's very still uncomfortable, and she plays it so well, like someone who is really confused and concerned about everything that's happening, but able to have genuine connections with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought she was probably the strongest part of the movie.
Speaker 1: She I mean, she was good. I thought I thought Josh O'Connor was very solid.
Speaker 2: He's very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that. Obviously, you put Colin Firth and Coleman Domingo in a movie, you're gonna get great performances, right, And they have I think one scene together, which is fantastic, and I'm like, sitting there, I'm just like, man, I just love watching these two guys play off each other.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is they are positioned as sort of the moral opponents, but truly I don't know where either of them is coming from. Yeah, yeah, right, And that feels like a big problem because because I'm fine with leaving things unset and not diving just whole hog into a whole bunch of backstory, but I feel like I feel like you needed something I don't know what, maybe maybe like a like a scene before the credits where it's the two of them together as co as colleagues, just to contrast with what comes later, right, Because the movie drops us right into the story and that's fine, and it expects us to catch on and that's fine. I'm fine with all of that, but I do feel like there's certain pieces that are necessary to make the ending hit.
Speaker 2: Agreed, And to your point, even if it's just shorthand, I mean, it makes me think of the true Fox character in Close Encounters.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's a perfect example.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, because we don't I don't know who that guy is, but I understand him completely, you know, and you know, even down to his line at the end where he's like, I envy you to NEARI yeah. So yeah, and you know, I had similar feelings. I thought Josh O'Connor did great with what he was doing and playing the type of guy he was playing, but I'm not even sure I under stood his character entirely, and I didn't feel a lot of chemistry between him and his girlfriend, which is typically that human element is something you expect a little bit more from Spielberg, you know.
Speaker 1: And so, well, what's funny is I was I agree with what you said about the chemistry, but in my head, I was like, well, he's gonna end up with Emily Blunt. That's what I was thinking too, right, So that's why I was sort of like fine with that. But then you realize that, oh, Jane is like she she does not pull a Wyatt Russell, Yes, right right, she does not. Nope, out and so I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, I mean, not bad sketches ideas for these characters, but I don't know that they felt as rounded out as I would have liked if I you know, I think.
Speaker 1: Maybe part of the problem is there's just too many characters. Like I feel like, I feel like Eve Huston's arc, which is, you know, how does a person of faith reconcile their faith with knowing this new thing? Right, I'm like, that's a movie all by itself, totally right. So I'm like, you know, could you have given her business to another character, to you know, to Josh or to Emily Blunt? And you know, like it feels like too many, too many things are happening happening because like you've got so many characters you're sort of moving him through the pieces, Like you literally have characters who are like I have to go here. Why I don't know, I just I have to go here. And I'm like, well, that's a problem, because like, I think that only gets you so far, right, because I don't know how many times throughout the film we hear some version of like, you know, what's going to happen is going to change everything or whatever. Right, that's the thing that's sort of pushing us along. Right, And just to be clear, I don't mind how it ended in terms of where it ends things. I feel like that was probably the only way to end it. But I think that we need we need a greater focus on what this world is and therefore what this change represents. And without part A, we don't really get Part B, and so it doesn't land as effectively as it might.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean the implication is it reminds me a little bit of Watchmen, right where you drop a giant squid alien on New York. Maybe the world will forget about its problems with one another and we can focus. We can become united. That's right in something else, something discovering something bigger than not killing each other. Yeah, And so I think, you know, it's kind of a similar idea here where I think, instead of you know, us thinking we're meeting an enemy, it's more like, Wow, the world is bigger than we understand. Maybe our problems aren't so big, and you know, this greater perspective will help us.
Speaker 1: Right, So, just to you know, contextually, the film is like we're on the verge of world War three, the end is nigh, and so that is the ticking clock that the film is operating within. But I it feels like the it feels like the disclosures of Disclosure Day are not directly tied to the World War three part. Does that make sense? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh no, completely? Yeah right?
Speaker 1: And I think that's what would have made it work better for me. It would have added a level of tension above and beyond. Our characters are trying to get away from these bad guys, you know, and and and I think for me that would have allowed me to squint past some of the sort of logic problems I had a little more Like I I I I think that uh hm when when you say, oh, this group, I forget what the organization, you know, Hydra whatever, I think Colin Fertz group. It's like, oh, we're we're like above presidential level right right? And I'm like, okay, I get that. And that feels very hand to wav. But just on like a logistical level, Make that make sense to me?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure?
Speaker 1: Like where do they get all the resources to do this?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 1: You know, if you can dispatch a battalion to freaking Kansas City, right, Like, how does that work, you know, and so so oh and this is the other thing. Sorry I'm jumping around, but this is important. The climax of the movie feels like it was made by somebody who grew up in the fifties and sixties and seventies and still views linear media as like the arbiter of social change, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, because to me, I'm like, I'm like, hey, I'm a fan of the news media. If but if we actually of journalism, I not news media, of journalism, but if we believe that the way this climax is staged could have this kind of social impact, I think that's that sort of blissfully naive.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree completely because and just every other news affiliate is just like, whoa, We've got to run this. Yeah, and I would be like what is this? You know, like I would immediately be questioning its authenticity. And also this is a little different, but you know, it ends as everyone is seeing this for the first time. That's the ending, and the cynic in me thinks the world is a little bit more like Springfield, you know from the Simpsons, where immediately they'd be like, wow, look at that thing. Kill it, right, you know like that's probably da sadly, you know, or or more realistically, nobody would believe what they're seeing. And part of me this is again I hate this, but seeing the footage, which I wish had made the hairs stand on the back of my head, and you know, I was like, I mean, it does look like visual effects from a movie.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. So if I saw that on the news, it looks like alien autopsy.
Speaker 2: Right right, and some of the ships coming out of you know, storm cloud looking thing. I just even my eyes weren't buying it in the movie. So like, if I saw that in the news, I don't know that I would.
Speaker 1: Have bought it. I mean, they they literally have characters in the control room saying like this is this AI, right, And that's sort of like their way of just acknowledging that that's the world we live in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and someone runs a check right with pixels, Yes, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I think that that that climax was clearly meant to hit in a different way and and I just don't think it does because of the world we live in. M And on one level that makes me sad, yeah, because right, because it's very much Spielberg wearing his heart on his sleeve, and this idea that no, if aliens arrived, everything would change, and I'm sure it would. I don't I don't doubt that. And by the way, I want to mention Courtney Grace, the actress who plays the newscast Oh yes, yes, watching the footage go out, like sure, what this is like a starmaking role for her.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that as it was happening, like, is this person like she just got maybe the most crucial part in this movie and she's nail it.
Speaker 1: She was terrific.
Speaker 2: Ry.
Speaker 1: I think that this notion though that, oh, we got to get to the TV station before this goes out. We got to cut the backup generator. I mean, I'm like, this is a great nineteen ninety seven story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 1: Yep, that was my thought. I'm like, we don't live in that world anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and other than alien ships landing on every single front door of every single person, I don't know what people would believe.
Speaker 2: That's the other that's I know, I know that's what I mean, right, Like, I mean, recently, in real life history things have been sort of documents have been an or opened and video shown, and I've like ignored all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just real quick. I wanted to specify when I said that the newscaster had the most important role. It's because she's the person we're watching having the reaction to the footage.
Speaker 1: In real time.
Speaker 2: In real time, I mean, we can see people watching on their phones on buses and baggage pickups at airports, but like she is reacting in real time, and so we're following her and experiencing all this through her and believing it through her. And I thought she did a really wonderful job of being confused and then surprised and then emotionally moved and then trying to keep her composure because she realizes she's on camera as a guide. I just she nailed all of that, that journey.
Speaker 1: That all I was. I really liked again this notion that everyone everywhere is staring at their device, people are on the airplanes. What I I just I want I want to acknowledge Spielberg's spirit of optimism and say I love it. Yeah, I love you for feeling that way, mister Spielberg, sir. It just it doesn't register as real for me. Yeah, I mean I almost wonder if like you do like a like I'm and see if you follow me on this, like as like a montage of the aftermath, like like quick shots of what the aftermath of this looks like without fully revealing the scope of it. And then we come back to Emily Blunt saying listen, m just to sort of give us a sense of like, this is what happened next without without just fully revealing it. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I can see it both ways, Like there's cutting it off before we can see any of the aftermath. I guess gives us something to chew on. Yeah, right, but there would it would be nice. It feels a little not incomplete, but I am eager to see just like a second after, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's funny because because you know, we they wheel out senior citizen Et as I call him. Yes, he's back and he's pissed.
Speaker 2: Was there a split second where you wondered if it might be et.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent? Yeah? Yeah, anyway, okay, got so yeah, uh yeah, when you just see the silhouette, right, yeah, but but like he like whispers in Josh O'Connor's ear, and I was like, hmm. And then I looked at my watch and I was like, oh, we're not going to hear anything he says. Yeah. So literally, I was already as soon as we go to Emily Blunt, I was like, it's gonna she's gonna like open her mouth and it's gonna go to credits.
Speaker 2: Oh. I was not far off, I know.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, So I was not like disappointed in that way, huh. And I was thinking about it, I was like, that's almost the only way you can end it, because like, what can you what can possibly live up to the build up?
Speaker 2: I completely agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, so so I because and I was talking about this kids last night, I was like, I just don't think there was any other way they could end it. Yeah, So I don't have a problem with that. I just feel like what they give us could have hit harder with a little bit more plot, plot and emotional runway.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, I agree. And at the same time, it's it's, uh, it's fun, you know what I mean, Like it's it's fun. I just he's taken us on such potent, powerful, resonant, unforgettable journeys before and seeing him back in his wheelhouse, like you were saying, right, with these alien stories and the things he likes to tell, the things he likes to express or convey through alien stories. I was just a little surprised that when it ended as like, oh, like I didn't quite get onto the ride I was hoping to, right, and for the reasons I think you just said, like just not quite connecting with the world, the steaks, and just not quite feeling the impact. I think the ending wanted me to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, a couple couple questions I had you already mentioned about about Danny and how how he got caught up in all this, like what his connection is to Hugo, the Coleman Domingo character. I was thinking about Margaret and how she gets sort of activated, right, and it's because that cardinal flies in the window. Yeah, And I'm like, was that like an alien thing?
Speaker 2: I think so, right, because the aliens disguise themselves as animals so they won't alarm us. Okay, so that cardinal was an alien, that's my understanding. Okay, So, and that's fine, but the whole thing hinges around, Oh, she and he are like the it was always them. They were meant to communicate with the aliens or whatever. I'm just like, well, why them? Yeah, that's a good question, because they're imbued with abilities that would make them good go betweens for humans and aliens. But was there something specific about them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we see the process when they're children.
Speaker 2: See, that would be nice to know. Yeah, that Danny, you know, for when he's a little boy, he had like a bigger heart. You know, maybe he was kind of a sensitive kid and he's very empathetic as a child or so, you know what I mean. Well, actually he was the math one. Maybe that'd be more Margaret, but no, that's yeah, I mean that's what I'm saying, right Like the I would like this their characters colored in just a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, cause you know, Margaret talks about her fear of having Parkinson's because that's what her dad had, and I sort of expected that to be more of like a thing like we'll we'll get this reveal of her childhood and that'll reveal that fear and how that ties in with the aliens, And unless I missed it, there was nothing like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like she's lying in her bed, the aliens come in her room and they're like follow us basically, and I'm just like, well, why her, right, because because I'm like, well she alludes to like, oh I ran away because I was scared of my dad's shaking or something. I'm like, well, maybe like the aliens found her then, like she was like they rescued her. I'm not saying you needed to do that, but I'm just like, if you're situating Margaret as like she is, she has these extraordinary gifts, right, She's like a new deity, right, why why her?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I actually liked that moment too, by the way where she showcases her and that woman just starts praying to talk. She's like no, no, no, no, no, yeah, like I'm not a religion you know.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting And actually I agree the sequence that follows where she uses that you know, artifact to like keep Colin Firth's team from from seeing them, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: That was the set piece I was talking about in the non spoiler section where I was like, ah, this is something wholly original captured in such a fun and dazzling way where you see them. I was like, actually, think wondering when they're the swat or whatever they are, we're approaching the house, I'm like, are they just going to like bump into it? And then they proceed to for like the next two or three minutes in the most fun, you know sorts of ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel I just feel like, on the on the script level, this one fell apart from me, not on not on the craft level, not on the not on the the film construction level, but just at a basic story and script level, it didn't. It didn't work the way I would have liked.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Same, And it's interesting too because this story it didn't occur to me till this morning. But this story is Spielberg's first draft of Close Encounters. When he and I mean literally like when he was coming up with the story for Close Encounters, the first story was someone who worked for Project Blue Book taking the secrets and people pursuing him.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: So in a way, he's had this story in his head for fifty years or so, and it kind of makes sense. Now he's a little older and he's like, I still just really need to get this out, and maybe he did, Maybe he got all his ideas out, But I'm not.
Speaker 1: So sure that.
Speaker 2: I don't know the heart and the soul of it completely rounded out as well as I know he's capable of.
Speaker 1: You know that said, I do think as like a fifty years later bookend to Close Encounters, it's worth examination in that sense too. Oh yeah, sure, right, Like like that's the other thing is like this movie is not going to be viewed wholly on its own. It's going to be viewed as part of the Spielberg catalog. It's going to be viewed in contrast with his other alien films, and so I think it'll always be worthy of discussion in that way. M hm. But I think that on its own it it could have held together a little better for me.
Speaker 2: You know, you talking about it as a bookend to Close Encounters. I would have loved if in the last ten minutes when they wheeled out that you know, little I don't know coffin sort of thing, and then the character was inside. I would have loved if it was Roy neary, like old Richard Dreyfus, and he's like okay, okay, and he like pushes Emily Blame out of the seat, Scoon over, sister. I'll take it from here. Aliens are real, you know, you just get the I'm back, Hi, Terry Garr, you know.
Speaker 1: He He's like listen, and then corrected by Steven Spielb. Yeah, I would have loved that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it'd be funny if that's what was Spielberg's idea.
Speaker 1: And David Kep was like, ah, David Kep, it's like the Laser Cats sketches on SNL.
Speaker 2: Yes, get out, let's work shot this a bit, but yeah, but there is still a lot to enjoy, right, I mean, as you said, I mean the craft is incredible and it pulls you along. I didn't realize this movie was about two and a half hours long. It did not. I never felt the time I was pulled along the whole way. Everything I'm talking about is when I walked out, How did I feel? And I didn't quite feel, you know, as connected as I wish I had to the characters in the material. But I was pulled along, you know, masterfully through it. And so I think that's almost why it makes me a little bit more disappointed that I didn't feel those things.
Speaker 1: On top of it, I agree, there's one scene this is where we're talking about, like you start questioning the internal logic of the movie, where we see we've established that Colin Firth is able to it's called diving, where he's able to see the world through different characters' eyes. And he's done that already with Eve Houston's character, right, So Josh O'Connor he knows that that's a possibility. So we see him go through their hotel room and just anything that identifies the where they're at the hotel, right, and then she's like, I need you to tie me up because I'm a danger Okay, So she does that and then in the middle of the night, she wakes up, but it's it's with Colin Furt's eyes, yeah, and she she glances over at Josh O'Connor who's sleeping, and he's got his like notes in his hand. Yeah, and then she kind of like nudges his hand and you see that on top of the notes it says, you know, Indiana or like the name of the hotel, and now they know where they are. And so this is where as I'm watching the movie, I'm like, come on, bro, really right right right, like you know, like you you went through the whole room, you're throwing random stuff with this piece of paper.
Speaker 2: It doesn't occur to you well, and it's the piece of paper he stared at the longest because he wrote on it, right, And and maybe it's a little thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it feels very Oh, this is like we got to do this to like get to have the plot move, you know. Yeah, anyway, that's that's in a nutshell, it's all. It's all well executed, but there's these these plot construction issues that that do that do niggle a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know another thing. I almost hesitate to bring this up because this might be too nippicky, But this is the time right again. As much as I loved the idea of wheeling out this elder alien and we're gonna he's in a newsroom, that's so cool. This is this is peak that thing I love, right, fantasy in your backyard, like seeing an alien in a in a you know, a Kansas City newsroom or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I ever really felt the wonder in Awe I was supposed to feel seeing it, and I was trying to figure out why. And I wonder if it's because we already saw a few earlier in the movie or if I'm so familiar with that design, or you know, the the what do they call them, the grays? You know they starts with the big eyes. Or when I see e T he's there, I can touch him, he and Elliott when they hug, I can, you know what I mean? Like I can feel the embrace right and and likewise, even you know, the aliens in close encounters, even though they're like stop motion and whatever sort of janky looking thing they are now, they still look like something I could poke, you know, and like shake its hand and like a tangibility. And I read online that apparently it was a puppet that was enhanced with CGI.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I would never have believed that. I thought it was CGI.
Speaker 2: I feel really really happy hearing you say that, because I felt the same thing, and I was like, there's just even if it's half a degree of disconnect from feeling that that thing is actually in the room with them, and I do feel like that is bringing the experience down for me a little bit, Like if I saw something that was brushing up against things, or even like maybe it was having a hard time walking and it put its hand for support on one of the cameraman's shoulders and the guy's like, oh my gosh. Yeah, you know, like, but seeing that would have brought me into it even more, like, holy crap, there's an alien in a newsroom. And unfortunately I didn't quite feel the wonder I wanted to with that specific thing. Yeah. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think again, I truly feel like it would have meant more separate from the way the creatures depicted. I think if if the stakes of what he represented were emphasized more, I You're.
Speaker 2: Right, what that moment meant. If it had meant like, Wow, this is the conclusion we need to this.
Speaker 1: Story, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing I really do want to emphasize that I really admired a lot about this movie is that it's so quintessentially Spielberg in that it's not cynical. Hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There there is a broadly optimistic view of human nature that I liked. Yeah, And what does it come down to. It comes down to people's decency, people's empathy. And you know you know this, you and I when we've talked about E T. One of my favorite things about E T is that it's about trust and trust being rewarded.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Each time Elliott broadens his circle of trust, it's rewarded, right. Yeah, yeah right, he tells Michael, Michael becomes his ally. He tells Mom, Mom becomes the ally.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Keys is like Elliott grown up. Yeah, yeah, right, I love Keys in that movie, you know, And and that to me is something really you know, people might say naive about Steven Spielberg, you know, but I love that about him. Yeah right, I agree, wonder you know, And that's something that I like in this movie, this idea that this revelation would be the thing potentially that brings the world together. So I like that conceptually, I love that. Execution wise, I don't feel like we get there. And that's what I find frustrating. Not that I think the notion is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Mmm, yes, does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Like even at the end when you think about it, like Scanlon the whole movie, he's set up as the heel, Yeah, and yet at the end of it he allows it to happen. He doesn't stop it.
Speaker 2: He just kind of gives up. Yeah. Well, and it'd be interesting to understand why exactly. Yeah, Like see, I I think it's interesting that we don't. It's not like we see Emily Blunt become his wife and then he gives up. M I don't think that's what happens. Yeah, I think he has this realization of like, no, this is the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: Right, which I'm not sure I highly got No, I agree with you, Like that's that's the point, right.
Speaker 1: I would have loved for that, the moment when he's like, no, this is the right thing, Like that really needed to mean something. And so this is this is my like frustration, Like I'm I'm fully on board with where Spielberg is trying to get us. I'm just not sure the way he gets us there is the most efficient or fulfilling you know, it's it's not it's not the efficient route, it's not the scenic route. And that's that was my frustration. But it's like, I feel like only Spielberg has that even now, at at this age, has that childish belief that that not childish childlike that No, this is like this will bring us all together.
Speaker 2: You know, how could it not?
Speaker 1: Exactly? You know how could? And and and yeah, man, I want that too, I know.
Speaker 2: I Yes, you're still right, because then if they had sold it. Maybe it would make us feel the same thing.
Speaker 1: How could it not exactly? Yeah, uh but yeah, that's that's our disclosure about disclosure day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, actually we have to say real quick John Williams wonderful hearing his music, surprising how little of it there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I don't. I didn't hear a lot of big sweeping motifs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say even the first half of the movie, I noticed there was a lot of action in things happening without any score. It was an interesting unusual Spielberg.
Speaker 1: Ye choice, Hey, the man's earned his break, the man's earned his rest, that's sure. Yeah. I think he was probably just sitting back and be like, hey, the you know, like the the music of the car chase speaks for itself, and and and Spielberg's.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, right, right, right, right right.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, there's there's like, you have some action riffs that are very very John Williams. Yeah. But but weirdly, there wasn't like yeah, you know, like yeah, I mean, and this is the obvious comparison, but like the Close Encounters theme or the you know, something suitably uh sweeping in that in that singularly John Williams way we did not get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay, I that's fine.
Speaker 1: I actually the music score, I really have no no real complaints about m m uh. That's just something I noticed, that's.
Speaker 2: All, you know, now that you say it, I'm remembering in Close Encounters Williams and his music quotes when you wish upon a star, and in this movie, Emily Blunt when she's a child sings a song from snow White. So that's just a interesting point of connection, I suppose between the two songs from old Disney movies. Okay, yeah, just just throwing it out there because I got nowhere else for it.
Speaker 1: Well, there we go.
Speaker 2: I like the observation, Oh man, this is great. I really it was hard. I saw it by myself last night, and it was really hard not being able to discuss it. So this I was really looking forward to this. You know.
Speaker 1: One thing I will say though, You know, for the two and a half hours, I was never bored while watching it. Yeah, exactly, same, right, Like it was definitely there were aspects of confusion or whatever, but I was fully I was you know, I was I was fully plugged into the experience, and I think that that is something worth acknowledging as a plus that that, you know, like you said, I mean, it was two and a half hours. It went by pretty pretty pretty efficiently, I would say, And so it's certainly at the craft of filmmaking. Spielberg. He still knows what.
Speaker 2: He's doing, absolutely, And I mean, that's what makes discussing this so interesting, is this is like a rip roaring yarn and also just us being who we are, and you know, again speaking for myself, I mean close encounters like exists somewhere in my soul, you know what I mean, and having this movie be a bit of a companion piece to it. I'm old enough now I've learned that you just can't expect things to hit the same way things have in the past when you were a certain age and experienced at a certain time and whatever. So I never expected this to reach that. But you can't help but you look at them together, right, you know. And so that's just kind of what I'm processing right now. And it's a little bit easier to talk about the things that were like, oh, it would have been nice if this and oh, you know, I wasn't quite feeling this, and I wish I had, but I'm glad that you brought it up. It is also a good time at the movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, but hey, let us let us know your thoughts. Can You can email us at Moviefilm Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave us star rating. Every little bit helps, And if you're listening to the show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe and leave a comment because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon page, Bran, that's right.
Speaker 2: If you head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. You also find bonus conversations that drop over there about twice a month, trailer talk things that just wouldn't fit into a regular episode. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. Plus, your subscription goes a long way in helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested, Nabele, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 1: And if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's corner. That's the a k I. S. Corner. You can also read my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle, including my thoughts on Masters of the Universe, which we discussed this episode, as well some other fun stuff.
Speaker 2: What about you, Brian, You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zaki Sad. This has been Movie Film three forty five. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody, Welcome friends Podcast
Speaker 2: Jackie