Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty YEP.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Handle, morning crew, as we start yet another year, twenty twenty five. And for those of you that write checks, and I'm slowly getting away from it, you know, just writing twenty twenty five as opposed to twenty twenty four is always difficult. Michael Monks just reported the stock market is started up two hundred and forty.
Speaker 1: Points this morning, and so far it's been a terrific year for the stock market.
Speaker 2: We're well on the way. It's up two hundred and forty points to day. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: At the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple of things I want to share with you. Oh, let's talk about laws that have kicked in. Now every January when I come on the air and when we go back to work and the new year starts, a bunch of new laws that have kicked in. California, as you can imagine, passes more laws than any other state, not only in terms of the numbers because of the size of our state, which is by far the biggest state in the Union, but also because we have a legislature that passes a lot of laws. So even per capita, over five thousand laws were introduced last year by our state legislature.
Speaker 1: Five thousand. Who the hell knows what five thousand laws are about.
Speaker 2: And it's this legislature, it's our senators, and it's our assembly people that vote on this stuff. One thousand were signed into law. I have no idea how these guys and women and men keep track of this stuff, but I'm going to go through a few of them, and it talks about how much we have changed, how much we stayed the same political correctness wokeness if you will. Don't quite understand what wokeness is, but let's go through some of the laws that have kicked in as of January. For one of the things in terms of crime fighting and our ability to deal with crime in this state is we have gotten away from quote wokeness and realize that bad guys are really bad guys. You know, none of this kroc about it's our fault that they're bad.
Speaker 1: And so we had PSS passed Prop.
Speaker 2: Forty seven, and criminals were giving a lighter sentence, they were gonna go to this prison as long we're getting more rehab. There's an argument there and so new laws go into effect. You know what, We're gonna make it more difficult if you get tagged for retail crime.
Speaker 1: We're going to bring down the limit to where it's a felony.
Speaker 2: Now, property theft, shoplifting, car break and smash and grab, robberties.
Speaker 1: We're actually gonna.
Speaker 2: Take that seriously, and you're gonna go to prison sooner and we're gonna take and you're going to be a felon quicker.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: We're you know, we're just this Black Lives Matter movement, and not so much Black lives matter, but the whole philosophe, anti police, anti harsh on crime because somehow something wrong with something's wrong with society.
Speaker 1: That's sort of changing. A ban on forced outing of.
Speaker 2: LGBTQ youths by schools. This was hugely controversial. Does in certain states if a kid is transgender, the parents must be told by the school.
Speaker 1: That is the law.
Speaker 2: You go to Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Southern states. Well, in California, schools cannot tell by law. Can cannot call parents and say your daughter, your son is trans or part of the gay community is using the wrong bathroom. Now I don't know how that stays hidden.
Speaker 1: I don't know how a.
Speaker 2: Kid is trans without parents knowing about it. I've never been able to understand that. But you know, to me, and I'm part of the LGBTQ community, to me, it's not a big deal in terms of practicality.
Speaker 1: It certainly is a big deal in terms of the political statement.
Speaker 2: And that's mainly what it is, I would think, because it's hard for parents not to know, so the school can't call up and say, surprise your boys an address and just walked into the girl's bathroom. Oh, had no idea reparations for black residents. Remember the State's Reparations task Force that the states set up to look at should reparations be paid to Black Californians who whose family has been discriminated against in some part by the state, or who can prove their connection to their progeny of somebody who was a slave. And so what this does is simply affect well part of the reparations.
Speaker 1: And this is discrimination.
Speaker 2: Hair, hairstyles, braids, locks, twists, dreads.
Speaker 1: You can use them. They can't be discriminated against with the dreads.
Speaker 2: Now it gets interesting because there are white people that create dreads, which is.
Speaker 1: The strangest looking thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: But you know, the question is can a white person be discriminated and told by the school you can't have dreads while the law now says that a black cannot be discriminated an African American h.
Speaker 3: Well, you know again, part of their culture and their hair, that's what they're arguing.
Speaker 1: Is part of their culture. That's exactly it. And I can make some hairstyle. Well, you know, but let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: It's part of their culture in terms of certain Caribbean nations.
Speaker 1: Right, if you're looking at that.
Speaker 2: Now, let me tell you a guy that's born in let's say Santa Clarita, right, and all of a sudden decides in high school he's gonna wear dreads and it's part he argues, it's part of my culture.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, but the United States has a European culture. So for a long time African Americans were told that their hair wasn't professional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, that's true, and I think this is where it's based on. And to your point, that is true. But then the issue becomes culture. People should wear their.
Speaker 1: Hair anyway they want to, you know, they should just be able to wear their hair.
Speaker 2: You know, if a girl in high school in Glendale wants to keep her mustache, then there should be no discrimination at all allowed.
Speaker 1: So let's move on.
Speaker 2: I want to finish up new laws that came in. As I said, it's started the last segment. Over five thousand, this is California. Over five thousand bills were introduced, a thousand were signed into law, and I'm just coming up with a few of them. Some of them ridiculous, which I'm not going to get into. Some of them, yeah, it doesn't really matter. A couple of them really important. One of them is that medical debt is no longer on your credit report. The credit reporting agencies cannot use medical debt as part of your credit. And boy does that makes sense because the vast majority of debt of bad credit is based on medical debt, and medical costs in this country are so astronomical, so insanely astronomical, that you know, you get caught up in any kind of an emergency surgery, you're screwed. Even with an insurance company paying eighty percent. You know, if there's one hundred thousand dollars operation, which is not unusual, you're still stuck with twenty thousand dollars. Who the hell can pay that?
Speaker 1: Is that retroactive?
Speaker 3: Does that mean that it will come off of I don't think so, And I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer, but I will tell you in terms of debt. Now, I have a Kaiser plan which I pay big, big money for, but my copays are non existent basically.
Speaker 1: And when I had my.
Speaker 2: Open heart surgery, we talked about replacing my valve, which went south. And most people want my vocal cords replaced. But I got my heart valve replaced, and I saw the bill. It was one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: The vast majority of that was the investigating of whether you had one or not.
Speaker 2: Very well said, there's a whole story there around for it. Ok here's one a ban on octopus farming. Now, is there such a thing as octopus farming in California? No, there are no octopus farms. But it's a statement about how bright octopus And by the way, it's not octopi, it's octopuses. That that's a very strange woman. U.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna leave that one alone. Okay, all right, you're smiling. I'm sorry. I thought that. I thought that was reasonably funny.
Speaker 3: Crude by the look on Cono's face, nobody in radio land heard that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you? By the way, did you edit that? You know? I did? Absolutely? Oh, come on, my shoulders pretty high that my ears perked, So no one, Michael, Oh, that's a shame. Anyway, I was.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to describe that, but you can guess as to uh how I I octopus says not octopo up in it?
Speaker 1: Are you keep dumping on anywhere? Are you dumping at it? Again and again? Well? No, not all of them?
Speaker 2: The one, okay, fair enough, all right, so let's just move on instead of having a great time with editing or not editing. The point is that there there are no octopus farms in California. But a statement is made, and this is California at its best making statements, and this is protecting animals in this case. And the argument is, and it's legit. Octopuses are very smart. They actually do have the ability to be and they are a lot smarter than most creatures. And they you've seen them. They can change color, they can change shapes, they are they're extraordinary animals.
Speaker 1: They truly are.
Speaker 2: They can you know, for example, I've seen films in which a handler of an octopus or someone who had a pet, and they do they are made, they are pets for people. Obviously they're in tanks. Would say giraffe, and then immediately the octopus looks like a giraffe. It's just amazing. It really is tesla. And there it looks like a tesla. But anyway, octopus farming is now illegal, even though it is not not done in California.
Speaker 1: Again a statement, then we go.
Speaker 2: We expand schools can't require parental notification of child's gender preference.
Speaker 1: That's sort of.
Speaker 2: It says school boards cannot pass resolutions that require school staff to notify parents if they believe a child is a transgender. It expands on previous law. Here's a one boy.
Speaker 1: This is a real argument about political correctness.
Speaker 2: The state must update its history social science curriculum. The students must study Menendez versus Westminster School District of Orange County. That's a nineteen forty five case regarding discrimination. This had to do with Mexican American parents. Children well refuse admission to local public schools and that case said no, you can't discriminate. And this was nine years before Brown versus Board. That must be taught. That case must be must be taught, which is okay. Now we're talking about the history. The same thing goes with the history of the slavery of Native Americans during the years of the comcissadors and Father Sarah. No, it'd be the Father Sierra Huniprio Sarah. He is he actually enslaved people to build the missions, and we don't know that.
Speaker 1: Remember in school, we studied this and we.
Speaker 2: Built little models of the missions out of sugar cubes or whatever the hell we did, and we thought it was great. And you have the Sierra Highway, and Father Sarah is given the credit and he did build all those missions, leading out the fact that it was slave labor that he used of the Indians.
Speaker 1: We never studied that. We didn't. It was just all great stuff either what I don't recall that one. No, we didn't. It was not part of the curriculum. Well, this law now says it's part of the curriculum. As you study the construction of the.
Speaker 2: Missions going up and down the state, starting in the San.
Speaker 1: Diegoor and ending up the area and ending.
Speaker 2: Up near the San Francisco And I don't know with the nord the most northern and the most southern one I should and I did. And it's about every twenty miles that there is a mission, and so there would be a place for travelers to stay at the missions. And there are some that are still completely whole. I think the San Fernando Mission is pretty intact.
Speaker 1: Oh you have many, sure, Yeah, and there it's pretty hard. I remember visiting them as a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're still around, but you now we have to know how they were built. Also, in terms of tenants, tenants facing evictions if they get if they get a notice of eviction, usually a three day notice to pay or quit. You haven't paid your rent. Here's your three day notice. They have five days to respond under the law. New law says they now have ten days to respond, just to make it easier. So you're seeing tenants rights expanding. Also, there will be money for US help, legal help for tenants who can't afford to defend themselves. And so this is a state where it's good to be a tenant, not in Arizona, not Nevada. You're a tenant, you don't pay the rent. Let's say the rents do at ten o'clock in the morning, you're out by four. Not in California.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Those are just some of the bills that were passed and are now law starting January first. And I could go on and on and on. Hey, let me share this story with you. And that is the Tesla that explode in front of the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas. And the police got the information in terms of who it was, what happened, where it was driven from, from where it was rented, which was an app almost immediately because Tesla had all of that information already and for the police that is invaluable. Why because the deep dive by Tesla into the driver, Well, it sort of proves that your.
Speaker 1: Tesla, like I've heard many times, is not a car. It's a computer on four wheels.
Speaker 2: And here's the problem with not just Tesla, but many of the latest cars. Where you've been, they know where you are going, they know access to your contacts, your call logs, your tics.
Speaker 1: They can get into all of it.
Speaker 2: Conversations you have in the car with people, for example, screaming at your passenger too much teeth. I don't want to even go into that. That's kind of rude, cono. I'm assuming you didn't edit that, thank goodness. And so this was absolutely invaluable in helping find out who it was and the motivation, and it.
Speaker 1: Became almost instantaneous. That's the good news.
Speaker 2: Bad news is how do you feel about your car knowing everything about you?
Speaker 1: Which means of course the car company the car doesn't care.
Speaker 2: But the car company General Motors was sued in August by the Texas Attorney General selling data from one point eight million drivers to insurance companies.
Speaker 1: In terms of.
Speaker 2: Driving, how fast do you go on the road, how fast are you going when you turn corners?
Speaker 1: How many times do you cross lanes? It is tough. And this was where the tesla it's this guy.
Speaker 2: It was suicide where this green Beret, active green beret was on leave, blew himself up first killing himself and blew himself up and had left a suicide note saying it was a lot of PTSD what the police said. I mean, clearly there were no politics involved, unlike the guy in New Orleans who had been radicalized with his car. Now that was a pickup truck that was rented and that was a little harder to figure out who, what where, and they took a lot of investigation. The good news with the information they have today for law enforcement, it's great for everybody else. I mean, I don't know if you're bothered by the company. Your car company know everything about you. I got to tell you the fact they can read my text because they can get into my phone. I use ways, and I use ways with my iPhone. I don't use the GPS on the car. Well, that means my phone is connected, which means you can get into my phone. And since it's going through the car, the car BMW for example, which I happen to drive, I guess they know all about me. For example, you've got a German car company that knows I'm Jewish.
Speaker 1: That's problematic, big problem.
Speaker 2: KFIAM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.