Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: He is at time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you draft. Doctor John Allens is in here with us, and we've got wild Brew coming up here in just a couple of weeks. This is this is pretty came up pretty fast on us. That's right as August twenty third. It's going to be a Tulsa. It's going to be at the rBST Center. That's right, all right, So this is great. Tell us a little bit about it, what folks can expect and why we're doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so other than it's a good time and it's pretty tafty.
Speaker 3: So Wild Brew has been around for I think this is the twenty seventh year, which you know, for a fundraiser is a tremendous run. It is for a brewery and restaurant festival, it's a tremendous run and it's really you know, kudos to the committee down there u Tulsa. That's they're kind of the ring leader on this event and the champions of this event, and they're big supporters of the Sutton Center and have been for a long time. So that's what Wildbrew benefits is the work that we do at the Sutton.
Speaker 1: Center, And what is the work we do with the center, doctor.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you asked.
Speaker 3: We conserve two different endangered birds for the Fish and Wildlife Service and for the US those are the prairie chicken and the masked bob white. And by the way, those two birds are going to be featured in our logos and branding for Wild brew two different beers that we have down there are sort of supporting each one of those birds from the New Story.
Speaker 4: Brewery, and so that's some of the work we do.
Speaker 3: Is conserving those birds. And then we also have quite a few survey programs, so we go out and we see what is around us, what's in the wild, and we do that over the course of many, many years so that we can determine long term trends in the wildlife it's around us. So we focus on a few species there. And then we have an education program where we take raptors and falcons and owls out into the classroom or out to festivals, and so that's sort of our outreach and we get, you know, we get to talk to people and share more of what we do there.
Speaker 2: Now your education Billow we've had him in here a few times. He is something else. He really gets into this and he made sure that the kids whenever he's got the mobile exhibit, they get into it as well, and just by.
Speaker 1: Accident they start learning things. How does that happen?
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of fun next thing, you know, you learn a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've always found that to be the best kind of learning experience where there's a little bit of a wow moment associated with it, and so so it's really it's an effective teaching tool because.
Speaker 4: It's it's novel.
Speaker 3: I mean, how often do you sit around with a big bird and get to watch it, you know?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this bird is almost as big as he is and very well behaved. And Artemis has got a kind of a fun personality too, So that's right.
Speaker 1: So it's pretty cool. Now.
Speaker 2: The work that was really put the sudden Avian research on the map was how we brought the bald eagles back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure many people may remember back in the eighties bald eagles were you didn't see them because because there were none around, and the Sutton Center they went to i think Florida and they found some eggs and of course this was all permitted and approved and everything, and we brought the eggs back here to hatch Southern bald eagle chicks and they used We didn't have mama bald eagles, so we used chickens to sit on the eggs and turn the eggs, incubate the eggs, and when the chicks hatched, they used puppets. They had eagle shaped puppets to feed the chicks so that they didn't associate food with humans and they could maintain some of their wild tendencies.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And so those initial efforts, which meant went for years and years, uh, sort of resulted in the seed population that is now naturally reproducing all around us. Now there's over three hundred nests in the state of Oklahome.
Speaker 2: I do remember living in Florida. I've seeing the bald eagles right around some of the little islands that you don't really see on the maps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those things are huge.
Speaker 2: I had no idea how big an eagle, god, especially a bald eagle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoa. You know, we have to think of something.
Speaker 2: Research center here for making sure that they're thriving now and now we've got another project with our other birds that you've been working just as diligently to make sure that they have a fair shake at surviving too.
Speaker 1: And the work is ongoing, and this is why we need the money.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's this ain't free.
Speaker 3: It's it's not free, and it's and it's labor intensive. And you know, I learned I learned this the other day. You know, when a Bob White saw a Bob White egg is a small golf ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And and when they when the chicks come out there of course that size and uh, sometimes their their feet are a little curled right like like a club foot might be. And you know, if this was a standard you know, agricultural operation, you might just sort of let that bird go its way and not not be too concerned. But but we actually make little splints out of masking tape for them, and so you can flatten their feet out and they have little shoes that they walk around in for a couple of days, little masking tape shoes and and after a few days of you know, flat structure and putting weight on them, their feet all flattened out and they can grow to be a healthy adult.
Speaker 1: Wow. Great.
Speaker 4: And it takes time and effort to do that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and and attendance and uh and care and and the people that we have working on these projects are are really committed.
Speaker 4: To the birds, you know, to the wildlife.
Speaker 2: So how do we get tickets to this wild brew Extravaganza coming up to twenty third at the RBS Center in Tulsa.
Speaker 3: Glad you asked Tom. You go to wabbrew dot org. That's wabrew dot org and you can find tickets there.
Speaker 4: If you're a brewery.
Speaker 3: And you want to sign up, you can sign up there and come and be a vendor.
Speaker 4: If you're a restaurant, you can.
Speaker 3: Sign up and come and share some of your food there. This is we're getting close to the deadline, the printing deadline, so I think this is about the last week when you can get in and get your logo on some of the printed material. Of course, it still get on the website if you want to. We're expecting two thousand people or so. That's historic trends. We've sold close to five six hundred tickets right now.
Speaker 4: Wow, you should definitely come.
Speaker 1: So all right, this sounds really good.
Speaker 2: Now this also benefits the breweries and the restaurants too, because people can get a little sample and say, hey, you know, next time I'm in town, or next time I'm in that neighbor, we'll probably visit you and maybe again and again and again. And I think that's part of the reason twenty seven years is paid off, because everybody wants to kind a piece.
Speaker 1: Of that action.
Speaker 4: That's right. I mean, it's a it's a great marketing event.
Speaker 3: And of course, you know, twenty seven years ago, marketing and media is a lot different than it is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you almost apples and oranges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you if you think about the dedication of the breweries and restaurants that you know, many of them come back here to year to year. This really is a mainstay event. It's a community event and people want to be there. It's also a well oiled machine, so getting in and getting out is easy.
Speaker 2: And you don't have to reinvent the wheel every year. That's right, That's great. So how many brewers about thirty?
Speaker 3: I think we have about thirty five breweries signed up right now, and I think twenty six, twenty seven maybe restaurants.
Speaker 4: I think we've got a few more coming in.
Speaker 2: We can make like thirty two to thirty two that'd be great. Yeah, even fifty or fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're our objectives are to hit forty.
Speaker 4: That's that's all really okay. But we've got the floor plan laid out.
Speaker 3: You know, there's sort of a few aisles along the edges and then there's a patron area in the middle. So if you go a little bit up on your tickets, you can get into the patron area and have a little extra elbow room for seating. And I think there's a little upscale food in there and things like that.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is, because of all the varieties of food and beverage to sample that once should probably wear loose fitting clothes.
Speaker 4: I think that wouldn't be a bad idea.
Speaker 2: An apron on an apron, Well, it depends on your manners, but you know, just make sure you got the wattle room there.
Speaker 1: But once you do some walking around folks, it'll probably be calorie neutral. Yeah, yeah, I think so that's what I'm going with.
Speaker 2: I think so, and of course I might not be factual, but I'm going with it.
Speaker 3: And we've got a deal at the Double Tree across the across the street for you.
Speaker 2: Know, spend it down there spend the night and tell us so why not you know, I mean it's a beautiful town.
Speaker 1: It is by day by night. Come right home to.
Speaker 2: Beautiful Bartles build in the daylight and say, ah, I wouldn't experienced that was That's right.
Speaker 1: This is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Again, just go to the wild brew dot org and that is the website. It'll tell you a little bit about what's going on with the money is raised for. Also, it tells you a lot about the fun you're going to have, and it'll tell you how much you need to put down in order to have such fun and help out a great cause at the same time. See this is this is what I like about putting the fun in fund raising.
Speaker 3: There's a there's also I should mention this as an online auction. I think it started okay, so I gotta check that out. We have a number of trips and packages on there. I think there's some h some art available, and and that online auction goes until near the end of the event. So I think that closed like seven on the twenty third, which as you go check it out, you can get to it from the website.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. Thank you doctor Ellis. Thanks for being a part of it here today, wonderful being. We'll see you at Wow Broue. I don't you guys don't play wild thing down there, do you? Ann No, you don't do that.
Speaker 2: I just been silly anyway, it's a lot of fun. Thank you for watching and listening to our community connection being brought to you by Wesley and Kidney College, orland Morenycam Funal Home and tool Grass Motors.