Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services ensure your most prized possession.
Speaker 2: As a good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today as usual on a Monday, Mike Quinn, Hey, Henry running the board with our guy Cody, trying to figure out my life saved me on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Welcome Cody. This is the beginning. Kobe, I'm sorry, Kobe, Kobe as in this guy over in the corner as in Lakers Kobe there, you can't read? What can I do? Screw this up? If you start start working the board right, He'll call you your first name. Thank you. You gonna prove yourself. You're gonna prove yourself here. Yeah right, Hey, I was just testing you, Kobe and Henry. Hey man, how's it to be an Arizona Wildcat alum and student? This weekend? Uh? It's rough, rough, it's uh. It's a tough weekend, tough weekend. I think expectations were a little higher, uh than than than we played out. So let me ask both you. I asked Henry and and Kobe this, Uh, which was worse the football game or the basketball game? Mint and the women lost too? They think that.
Speaker 3: No, I think they came back though.
Speaker 2: They won't they beat they lost an AU earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they won their last then.
Speaker 2: They won their last game. Yeah, So which is the worst basketball? Football? Well? Yeah asking me? You're asking, yeah, I kind of I will talk to them in the second. I already know their answer because we talked about there. I think that the the most disappointing is the is the basketball. I think that there were people that like really thought that we were gonna kind of show better against Duke, and we did not. I think football we've kind of gotten used to like ups and downs and hey, maybe we'll win this game. It's like, yeah, you know, we won't, which is uh, you know, upsetting in itself. But I do think that expectations were a little bit higher for our performance in basketball. Yeah, we just didn't seem to We just didn't seem to put anything together like we had And again, it's just kind of to me. I'll talk about it after Henry's answer and hope.
Speaker 3: Yet, Well, I think at this point there's just no expectations even left for football that I feel like you got to say basketball.
Speaker 2: So so what about this weekend? We'll get more. We'll get to that in a second. You didn't have any expectations after we did well against Houston that you know, maybe we'd be able to do Yeah, you're a pessimist.
Speaker 3: Not even pessimists. I just didn't. I watched the Houston game, and Houston beat themselves. We really didn't do anything that impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TCU tried to beat themselves, but we wouldn't let them exactly, Kobe, what about you?
Speaker 4: I would say basketball as well, especially after the first game versus Wisconsin, we thought it was a flu uker on the road, like Duke came and you had a chance to get a big win against a great team and they didn't come to play. And football, it was a bit of a letdown after a good week before. But they have a chance to bounce back verse as you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with you everybody, especially your analysis Henry, where you're already given up hope on football, right, I mean, who hasn't who this weekend is everyone talks about their bowl game, blah blah blah. They're still gonna say, Okay, we won, but we still had a second season at the end of the day, that's what you remember the season by people rattling enough that the coach would be fired, YadA YadA. Okay, you go five and seven. I guess what that would be the final record?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? So what's the big deal with there? Even though? So what I mean that second you were here too, you were here a number of years that that a nickel gets you a nickel. Well, I will tell you some right now. If you if you win that game, you remember that game, and what does that get you? It gets you something to remember it by? Are you kidding me? Like, look, I'm from I'm very familiar. I mean, I'm familiar with Arizona, Arizona and state game, but I'm very familiar with the Army Navy game. It's like there are times that we've been one in ten. You win the Army Navy game, you know what you say, twenty years from now, Hey remember that time we won that Army Navy We won the Army Navy game. We beat you. Yeah, I'll tell you what when winning the Arizona Arizona State game is a big deal. Now, I get that. I get now it would would we rather win a national championship? Probably? Yep, they'd rather win a national championship. My point, would we like to go, you know, win a bowl game against bug tussel Tech. No? Maybe for the money. I mean, I'm sure the athletic department is like, hey, we'd really like to go to a bowl game against bug tussele Tech. But there's the and then who's gonna go to that. Who's gonna go to that? No one's gonna go to that. They're gonna get the They're gonna get the money. My point is, okay, you get the breaking rights. That hell, good for you. Let's move on. It is okay, well, okay, there I get I get it. And and this this game is has all your I would call you a bit jaded, okay, ons you've done that, and you've called me worse. You've done that many times. I know who hasn't called me jaded after all these years. And I'm surely going to understand. I'm according to Bill Listener, I'm grumpy for a reason. You know, something in my life has really affected me. I need to see a therapist. Probably look in the mirror every morning and get grumpier. Yes, yes, all the great hair. There's not much I can do. God already did it to me. Uh So I get it. I get it. The concern now is basketball. I will talk about football. We have Troy Hutchinson coming on at the three, three fifteen, three seventeen, and then we have mister Doug Haller here at four seventeen, coming from Phoenix. He covers the asue he's covered Arizona a bit, So we'll talk all about that. We can argue it later. But the basketball team, to me was just kind of like I was gonna write a column that night and I'm thinking, what the hell am I going to say that people don't already see. The one thing that bothered me was and not so much Caleb, even though he can't hit anything these days in the ocean, it's like it's like they don't even look together offensively. And you've seen this team. I've seen this for thirty seven years, and the one thing that I noticed more than anything is Arizona. In order for Arizona to be good, they have to run, they have to move in transition. They got to do these things. And that's historically since Luke got here in eighty three. Okay, so if they don't do that, they're toast. I don't care who they're playing. So so that was sensive rebounding and moving the ball, moving the ball, and Duke prevented all that because they just couldn't shoot shoot the basketball. So if and guess what teams are gonna do, not that you didn't don't even know this, slow them down? Okay, they missed them shot, YadA, YadA, And and here we are again. Well you know, uh fast break start with defense, okay, and uh so I do think that we need to we need to pick up on our defense. I think we're gonna we're certainly gonna have to run. We we seem to, and by I mean mostly Caleb Love seems to be pressing, trying to make a little too much happen at this point. Okay, you can sit there and go, oh, you know, that'll all settle down after a while. And after a while, I mean, what is he the fifth year senior. I mean he's played in some really really big games. I'm not sure how much more settling down he's gonna do. I just I don't know where he goes from here. You know, I mean turn the ball over like that or shooting. Can't see him still Caleb, I'm talking about Caleb Love. Yeah, you know, we talked about that too coming up. I mean, realistically, if Tommy, I mean, when you talk about what are you most disappointed in? That's a play with Caleb Love. Yeah. So we're coming up and and hittering, and Kobe with a beat says, uh, they got they gotta move, they gotta change the lineup. Obviously, I think if if Tommy had anything in him, excuse me, with regard to Atlanta, don't you think that would be one of the first moves. I gotta I gotta believe that if things don't change rapidly, you've got to have Caleb watch a lot of basketball. So, Henry, would you move Caleb out or crieve us in first? Grieve us out first?
Speaker 3: Which was moving Caleb out? Just feels like you're conceding the season. Honestly, were they him?
Speaker 2: Great point? Great point? Yeah? No, you're right, offensively nobody, Yeah, no, one. Bryan Bryant would move probably two of the three four.
Speaker 3: You gotta you gotta make a center change for this upcoming tournament and see how it looks and if that goes wrong, then I don't even know you.
Speaker 2: You you make a point. And if you do that with Caleb, how will he react emotionally to it? Will he say? Okay, I'm gonna tune that the rest of the year. I mean you could lose him emotionally. Yeah, well, you absolutely could lose him emotionally. But what are you shooting one for nine? I mean? Whoa? Okay, I mean who could you put Henry here? Let's go, you're in, Come on, I can shoot one for nine. Well, I don't know if I could shoot. I don't want. I don't want to sit there and be too hard on because he's an accomplished individual. Sure is he going to turn it around? He's the first team All American preseason. I understand his first team All American. He's certainly not playing like first team all How do you fix it? How do you fix it? I think one thing? They didn't give him the ball early, get him going early. I think that's a big thing.
Speaker 3: I think Tommy thought he could just settle into the game on its own, but that's it's harder to do that in college than like the stars in the NBA. And they know when it's their time to take over. I think he didn't know that kind of this game and just like get him the ball earlier to get him going.
Speaker 2: But he took the first couple of shots in the game night in most Oh, they were up five zero, six zero.
Speaker 3: I think too. I think his first shot was with like fifteen minutes left.
Speaker 2: Really, oh yeah, I really, yeah. They were probably tight at the time. So one of the articles I read mentioned how they got it. They tried to get him involved early, So maybe I'm maybe I'm wrong. It depends who wrote it. Yeah, I was gonna say you didn't write it, So it's like I'm a would have been kept looking for good articles. Yeah, then you could fight because yes, no, I I agree with you, Henry. We'll see what happens with him. But two games in a row, right, two games in a row first time the mistake. Second times could be a habit. And we've seen how he kind of go into funks. Yeah, so we'll see from that end. Creevous too, I think is an issue. You can't hang on to the ball. He looks. I don't think he's ready yet. Obviously, it's just in the good competition. So so we'll see. And then I've Henry's been spotty a little, He's been better at least, right, and we're talking about maybe starting o walka Yeah, I mean it's a heck of a change, but it's a nice solution.
Speaker 3: I mean they started a walka what two games ago and look good?
Speaker 2: Yeah again can yeah? And uh and whoever the other one Morgan State or whatever it was, I can't remember even anymore. But we know that they're better than those guys, just not as bad as good as Wisconsin and Duke. So so we'll see. This weekend is a huge weekend. Uh, Bahamas has been tough. Everyone that carry already penciled the Zags and Arizona in the finals. I'm not sure that could or may happen. They played, they play like they did, turning the ball over like yeah or not. But but but Henry, to your point, and I've said this all along, it's only November. It's four games in what happens in November. You eat some turkey, get a little fat, march, you eat off that fat, and you get beat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see, we'll see if they can turn it around, you know, start holding onto the ball. Yeah. Well, Henry Henry Tommy, Tommy gets paid a lot of money. He got a big raise over the last few months. Uh. Now we'll see if he can earn his keep. Yep, he's got a coach. This this is this is a team that's gonna need coaching. Hes coaching correct correct. Uh. And and we saw you know under under Sean where he thought he and he kind of misspoke or he said he misspoke, but he talked about how he couldn't get get a hold of the guys to play hard, and he talked, walked it back, talked it back, and they still didn't play hard.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so he was probably telling you the truth. And tom tom was very Tommy was very uh stern on Friday night. He knows that needs to be changed. Things need to be changed, need to be looked at.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna not gonna not change it. So we'll see how the rotation goes here. And just because they went on Wednesday doesn't mean anything. Because they went on Thursday doesn't mean anything. Well yeah, I mean it means the same thing as any other game in November, which is like we're playing to try and get better by March. And so you got to you gotta understand that. I just well, I'm terrified that we play the whole season with love not getting into the into the groove here right, Well, you're not. Doesn't happen. He'll be He'll be fine for most of the games. That's the problem with switch games. Won't he be fined? We'll find it. Okay, Hey, let's go and we'll get ahold of Troy here on the other side of the commercial.
Speaker 3: Are you ready? Ready to discover your soul, your.
Speaker 5: Wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 5: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucside.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 6: Yaki Try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorati Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipments?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the vest you deserve. Arizona Hound the.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: On twenty second, just west of will.
Speaker 9: Not School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 2: Shorts or long sleeve follows.
Speaker 9: And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation, or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 10: Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in Melo three O eight seven Arizona K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lendric syncredit rates and avaiable loan programs or such ex change with UM notice.
Speaker 9: Did you know collect these sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and.
Speaker 2: Trading card games.
Speaker 9: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: On a road trip or just around town, driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one Rate auto loan is for everyone. One Rate offers a single competitive rate, no matter your credit score, you can borrow better with pream. For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one rate Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 3: I'm sure by NCUA.
Speaker 11: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 2: Arizona Pest Control is your.
Speaker 11: Complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth to the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American, Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame Coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com slash conference once again. That's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com slash Com.
Speaker 1: Princess Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen FIFA.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Mike Quinn and Mike Quinn and I on the phone. We have Troy just Sen from gooasycats dot com. Youre Troy.
Speaker 12: Yes, I'm here.
Speaker 2: I'm here. Great, great to hear. We weren't sure we're gonna get we weren't executing sure whether we did or yeah, yeah, Troy, Troy. So I'm asking people who it was worse, the football game with a basketball game. I think it's unanimous.
Speaker 12: I would say the basketball game because football is over right, I mean, the season is far from over high expectations with basketball, so I would I would vote the basketball game.
Speaker 2: So, so would you temper the expectations for basketball now what you've seen through four games?
Speaker 12: No? No, I think you know they still have a very good team and you're going through four games again and two really high level opponents. I know was struggled in their very next game, but you know, that's the way at college basketball, and it's going to be the way of life.
Speaker 2: In the Big twelve.
Speaker 12: I still believe this is a twenty two to twenty three, maybe twenty four win team that will be a top three seed and then see the Blade Tournament. But you're going to take your lumps along the way. Maybe a little concerned about Caleb Love as of right now, but Tommy Lloyd has been a coach that has proven to fix themes offensively throughout the season if there's an area of struggle, and you know, you just got to believe in the system. And this is going to be a team that's going to be in the thick of the Big twelve. It's just taking a few lumps along the way right now.
Speaker 2: Would you bench or no, no, no, who would you bench? If you had a chance to bench.
Speaker 12: I would go back to Tobya Waka starting in the lineup. I think he brings you a physicality that three of us just isn't prepared to bring you right now. And I don't know if creve Us is full go as of right now, and Tommy even said that, you know, maybe he should have made that adjustment.
Speaker 2: In the lineup.
Speaker 12: Caleb Love, I want to benj M, but you might want to change up the roles. You know, they've asked them to play more off the ball, and he's talked about it being a squirrel without the basketball in his hands, and quite frankly, that's just not his game. And you've seen them kind of stand around in the corner at times and then when he gets the ball, he chucks it up. I think it's difficult asking somebody to do that what they're not used to doing when they're a fifth or six.
Speaker 2: Year senior, right right, how you're not supposed to be disappointed or related when they win or lose. What was your biggest observation outside of Caleb Love with the team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, just just not a lot of communication out there. There's a few transition opportunities, but big man looking for a guy to pass it to you and not getting it out of their hands quick enough. There's a counted about six or seven times where if they got the ball out quick enough on a rebound or a turnover, it would have been an easy dunkers lay up on the other end, you got to get out in transition and the communication needs to be better there. And then defensively, there's just been a couple of breakdowns, especially at the three point line late in the shot clock. I think overall, I was going to play a great defensive game against Duke, but they could have had their opportunities to limit that score.
Speaker 2: For the Blue Devils, how do they fix the turnovers? It's like the they just don't seem to be handling the ball well, like it's it doesn't feel good in their hands. I mean, is Caleb had a couple of things where he was just previous had a couple of time before he was fumbling the ball. Are you seeing that or am I not watching close enough? Yeah?
Speaker 12: You know, I mean the turnovers. For me, the number that you're going to look at for Arizona, especially with a high level offense in terms of tempo and up and down, is that probably twelve to fourteen range somewhere in there. That's where they've been around during the Tommy Lloyd era. And I'm taking a quick look at here right now. For the game they had fifteen, so maybe two more than what you want. One of the main issues and they only marked Kreebus for two of those turnovers. Is the balls in the big hands a little bit too much and they're not back to the basket type of big and they fumble the ball and that gets messed up there. But you know you're gonna have turnovers when you're having so many possessions in a game. What you want to see is a high assistant andover ratio. And again to do they only have sixteen assists, so if you have twelve turnovers, so if you have fifteen turnovers, you want to see the assists numbers in the twenties. And that's usually the style of basketball. Tommy Lloyd likes to play as the highest this number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the things that I was watching during the game was I said, God, this seems so disjointed. And I remember using that word a few times seeing the Sean Miller the era for the offense because it looks so disjointed. He took offense to it because it was disjointed and he just didn't want to admit it. It's not a Tommy Lloyd. Often you've got to score in the eighties, eighties or you know, seventies for sure, and it just didn't look It looked at a scenc disjointed, just not very comfortable.
Speaker 12: It looked disjointed. It looked like people players were looking for somebody to take over the game rather that be a Caleb Lover or Jaden Bradley. Just a lot of standing around and lack of communication out there on the court. And again, you know, you have three high level guards and Bradley and Love and kJ Lewis. But this is the first side that they've been in the starting lineup together, so I'm sure they're trying not to step on each other's toes and make sure the balls distributed equally. But there's got to be those moments where you know somebody's looking around for something to happen, and someone says, just give me the ball and get out of the way, let me get to the hoop. Too many jump shots, too many settling for mid rings jumpers, and bad three point shots. But it's a lot of stuff that's correctable as you play more basketball with this group, and this group gets used to each other because yes, there's a lot of returners, but the roles are very different.
Speaker 2: So do you see your sense I'm sensing that you're saying that they're going to play through this, can how do we move the ball better? Is it just a feel as you're as you're alluding to here that we're doing this or I mean, is there something more that Tommy Lloyd can do other than hey, we'll get there eventually.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, I think one of the things is just getting better about getting out once you get the ball in the rebound and getting the steal. They need to get out in transition. That's the biggest thing for me with this offense right now is there's just not There hasn't been a lot of transition opportunities for them that they've capitalized on. So you need to do that. And then number two is just a little bit more cohesion with Jaden Bradley and Caleb Love. If you're going to have Bradley be the main ball handler.
Speaker 2: Then Love needs to start.
Speaker 12: Moving around the perimeter more and moving around the court more because right now, in the half court set, like I said, he's been camping in the corner because you know that's not his game.
Speaker 2: So but he's been trying to.
Speaker 12: Train on how to do that, how to score without the basketball, and it's hard. So you're asking a guy that plays more of a Jamal Murray style in terms of getting the ball and out.
Speaker 2: I'll be the one to.
Speaker 12: Dictate everything to do more of a Clay Thompson style, which is coming off screens, which is constant movement out there on the court. And it takes time to develop that, And especially when you're trying to have a point guard switch to more of that role and then another point guard take over the main point guard role, there's going to be a gelling moment and I think we've seeing that right now between the two of them.
Speaker 2: Let me jump in here with this. I read a couple of articles about alluding to Caleb Love's attitude. Do you think that he's upset about the way he's being played right now? And is that affecting him or is he you still sense that he is upbeating part of the team. No, I think he's upbeating.
Speaker 12: Part of the team.
Speaker 3: And when you.
Speaker 12: Have losses and frustration fouls like you have the technical against Wisconsin and stuff like that, you know people are always going to question that because you know that costs you seven points right there. You look frustrated, you haven't been playing well. But I still think he's bought into it. He want to come back to Arizona if he didn't believe in Tommy Lloyd and what this coaching stack is asked.
Speaker 2: Them to do.
Speaker 12: You know, I think they made it very clear from the moment he entered the draft too. When he came back, there was on their game plan for him for the next season.
Speaker 2: They laid all that out. He was on board.
Speaker 12: It's just a process of getting used to it in live action when you're going up against teams like Duke Wisconsin compared to you know, your your low level teams, and compared to in practice. You know, it's one thing to run it in a practice, in a scrimmage, it's another thing to do it against a high level opponent.
Speaker 2: So Friday night, there was a lot of media in the room, some notable people obviously see from Duke and from from Arizona. The one question I wouldn't want to ask, and I said, no, that's a dumb question. But here's the question, as as Caleb Love goes Arizona, do you think.
Speaker 12: You know? I I one hundred percent believe that last year the way Caleb Love goes, Arizona goes. But now I've with the way they're asking him to play, and the way that Jayden Bradley has played, I wonder whose team.
Speaker 3: It is right now?
Speaker 2: Right now Bradley seems more than yeah, right now Jaden's team.
Speaker 12: And so it can can you win that way? And I think that's what they kind of wanted to transition to, is it being not necessarily Jayden's team, but Jaden.
Speaker 2: Dictating the depo.
Speaker 12: But Love again needs to just be a little bit more aggressive and less reliant on the mid range shot. You nego as he goes. But I don't know if he if what's what they're asking him to do that there are those opportunities for him to take over the game right now.
Speaker 2: My whole thing is he shot two air balls, but like two airballs. This is the first team All American guy that you we've seen have a lot of good games and a couple of you know, bad games, But that two in a game against a big time opponent in front of a lot of eyes, that's not good. Well you miss You also missed a free throw, which you're like, oh, okay, people miss free throws. But he's one of two. Okay. His game, as you're just alluding to, his game is don't get into the basket getting fouled of the line, shooting ninety from the line. He just didn't scene real Caleb basketball.
Speaker 12: No, exactly. And when you're trying to learn a new role and you're trying to buy into something, sometimes you become hesitant and forget who you are out there on the court, who you are as a player. You know, one of nine from the three point line. There's not a game in the world that Caleb Love should be shooting nine to three point shots. You want to see that number probably around four and having him be more aggressive. There is a part in the game where he had an open three point look and instead of just a quick trigger three like we're used to seeing, he hesitated, took the three and it hit the back iron. They got to back out, kicked it back out there and nailed the second one. But it's that hesitation. Anytime you see a shooter at the three point line and there's a hesitation, they're more than likely they're not making that shot. So just playing careless not I don't want to say careless fastball, but like, just don't think you just want to play, you want to play in rhythm and right now he looks like a player that's thinking too much out there on.
Speaker 2: The court because we won't see you or I won't see you. Maybe we'll see you Saturday, but not before the tournament starts. Are they going to win the tournament?
Speaker 12: You know, with what they've shown you, you would say no. But I just have a gut feeling with the way Tommy Lloyd's seems perform in these type of environments, how they're able to recollect after games like this, I think they are. I think they're going to beat Davison, beat the next team whoever they play after that. I don't know the bracket off the top of my head, and then they'll up a Gonzaga Arizona matchup in the championship game. And I think he gets mark Field. I think they're just going to go through a run right now where they play good basketball and kind of get back on track. And I think it's good for that. You're away from campus, you're away from everybody, and you're on a team trip in the Bahamas where you can focus on just you guys and yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just watching video on Twitter. They're already in the Bahamas and joining themselves. Yeah, you can imagine the game is long past them. Well, they need I do think they need to blend as a team. I mean, they're just not playing well together. And I don't care about the Canasians game whatever in the previous game, because you're not gonna fay. You're not going to face those two teams in the tournament. And everyone's talking about all the big club's gonna get him ready for the tournament. Well, so do these last two games?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, these two games are getting ready for a big twelve try. I think that you you you said the word that I was thinking about, and that was rhythm.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: They don't feel like they're in rhythm. They don't feel like they're on a roll. And yeah, you're absolutely right, Caleb is not shooting in rhythm. Do they get their mojo back there? You I'm assuming you're saying they do on this trip.
Speaker 12: They they do, and you're going to start to see not only Caleb Love play well. I have a feeling Townsend will have a good game or two in this tournament and a guy like Dela Rosso taking more of his type of shots. You just want to see guys get back to their roles and and kind of find that offensive rhythm and that full to the game because you know, basketball, in my opinion, it's one of the most rhythmic games out there. If you're not feeling good, if you're not if you're not feeling the flow of the offense, it's not gonna be good. It's not going to end well. So just getting back into that tempo of what they want to do will pay dividends. And I think they do that this weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll trust you, you know, you know far, I'll trust you like the next block. But okay, let's talk about football real quick. Did you go to did you go to Brandon today?
Speaker 12: I did? I did go to Brennan today.
Speaker 2: Well, what's the lasting impression?
Speaker 12: The last thing impression is talking about you know, this being the end all the all, biggest game of the year type of game, especially now with no Bowl game, and this is it lasting impressions, you know, on the season and trying to end on a good note and send guys out on a winning note that have been around the program four or five years, that have helped build it to was last year and where it is this season. Unfortunately. Uh, but you know, and there's been talked will tet Roald McMillan play. Will guys like that who have NFL potential uh and be NFL draftics play in this game? And as of right now, Brennan says, everybody's.
Speaker 3: Ready to go.
Speaker 12: They're they're going to play. Tet Roald McMillan's going to play, and if Jonas Savinea is healthy because he did get being up at the end of the game, that he'll most likely play. So that's a little bit surprising given that you're not going to be going to a bowl game, and this game really means not team for a guy like doctor Rowland Millan. But as of this moment, he's he's going to play in the game.
Speaker 2: That would be very interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be if.
Speaker 2: He didn't play. And what that would mean to this team, well, I wonder, I mean a lot of other venues for Arizona.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I think it's a situation where you're balancing it as a coach and as a player, and no I fa Fieda gets it and his teammates get it, where you know, you're not playing in a bowl game, you're not playing in a college football playoffs, you're not playing with a chance to go to the Big Twelve Championship game on the line. If he hurt himself and his draft stock win from a top five pick all the way out to the first round, they would feel terrible, the coaching staftware, the players would everybody would feel terrible.
Speaker 2: So how do you balance it?
Speaker 12: If it's close and they go on the second half, fourth quarter with the game online, he'll probably play the whole game. But if it's a twenty point blow out by the end of the third quarter, you probably saw the last of Tetroll McMillan in an Arizona uniform. Because it's it's something where you want to balance, because you don't want to ruin a player's career post college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So do you think he stays here or goes pro or I don't. Can he be drafted? Can he enter the draft? I don't even know.
Speaker 12: Yes, Tetroyal McMillan is draft eligible and he will be a top five pick. There's no chance to come back there.
Speaker 2: This is like the Mike Biby thing in the two years you're coming back. Oh, I haven't made that my decision. You made it last year. You already you already know what you're going to do. Okay, Troy, thanks a much. We'll see you this week at the football game, and we'll see if your prediction of basketball doesn't does or doesn't come true. I'll hold it against you either way. You know that.
Speaker 12: Okay, Well, I'll see you guys later.
Speaker 2: Have a good one. Yeah. I believe everything he kind of said. I do. I love I love his comment about the rhythm because Caleb does not look like he's in rhythm. And he's not the only one. And he's not the only one though, you knowkj Lewis hasn't been kJ Lewis and Crevis we talked about. He can't hold water right now. I mean he's dropping a lot of balls. Yeah, he throws, puts a ball on the floor and it throws somewhere else. Yeah, Okay, let's go. You're an Arizona men's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from LUT is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is former wild Cat Leman Huntley with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attacking. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform.
Speaker 2: Your personal space in your life.
Speaker 13: We allf a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot Arizona Health the lean to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate. You need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PMA dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tuson, Steve vera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder bender or a leaky roofed, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today. We're big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, you're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Streamy Live on the Ihearts Radio AaB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ramera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my thebaut here on Fox Sports fourteen and fifty I'm Steve RIVERA your night, Quinn. I still am well, I'm questioning that now. Yeah, not doing well? But dam you feel like I mean you feel like Caleb loved Yeah, me and Caleb have no rhythm anymore. Eligibility? What the hell kind of question?
Speaker 12: What it was?
Speaker 2: What it was? Can I see your resume? I think you gave me a fake resume? No? Yeah, all my background in sports, Henry, Like I said, I came, I I come here devoid of facts, Henry. Feel perfect, You're perfect, perfect spot for it. Federal opinions. You that one slipped through the cracks. You're my my fixer upper here. Yeah, Hey, anybody want to complie? Do Henry's got the mic or the control over here? We got some calls five to zero, four, one, six, seventy four, forty The guy I haven't heard from his I hope we still do it, Okay? Is Gabe game has a call?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 2: He hasn't called a couple three weeks. I wonder how he's doing because football is notne good. That was not too good to say they could Gabe, but this could be the tough time is Thanksgiving? Maybe he just getting ready for the holidays. Yeah, I don't know, Miguel what doing that. Mike's dying to be on a show. I'm gonna have my fat Mike as a host here, but in these days that's going to be crazy. You got to be with us, Henry, because I don't know if I could take Mike by myself time. Kobe's gonna be learning from Henry. So hopefully Kobe will get it in a day back to borrow, to help me to borrow. So anybody want to call, please do There's gotta there's gotta be people out there that have an opinion. On this basketball team. Yeah, five to zero, four one, six, seventy four, forty. Give us a quick call if you want to let us know what your thoughts are to me. So, if you paid money for that game, you guys were your students, right, You guys got good seats. You guys probably got prime two thousand and two and a half thousand dollars seats. But if you paid money for that game, I would be disappointed. Oh yeah, and they did that with North Carolina. Remember North Carolina. You weren't here for North Carolina and they paid that was the highest price ticket back then. It was like, you know, seven hundred hundred dollars with coach Williams coming in and there was on to stinking it up that weekend or that night or that morning whatever game I think it was the afternoon and there was someone didn't show up in one of the Loot's final games here. Well, yeah, so they need to get better quickly. They're Tony. You can I say it. You do you have the Paul. You can mention that in the breaking news.
Speaker 3: You can you can talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're twenty twenty fourth, hanging on in the top twenty five. That two doesn't really matter, Yeah, I mean does it matter in their psyche? No? Who's the big teams? I mean it doesn't matter ours. I mean, I mean we're just like, hey, you know, no, they're not looking at that at all, not at all. No, No, No, the fans look at that. That's a fans thing. It is a fans thing. You don't worry about it now. Hey, so I know that. I don't know if you're going to mention this, but with Yukon losing the are they going to fire that coach? Kobe would saying the last night I saw him on the going ballistic the earliest of number one team or not the earliest, but yeah, pretty pretty good Memphis. Isn't that good, is it?
Speaker 3: I don't think they're ranked now.
Speaker 2: No, with with Hardaway, they're five and the big win. Yeah, you know what it means. Not a damn members gets into in MAUI. It doesn't mean anything. Yeah, my thing, and I don't want to stir anything up. But if I was a coach and I was observing this, I'd be concerned about the chemistry because I've seen this before where things don't go well, they don't go well, and they don't continue to go, well, football, Kobe. You're new to this group. I think I've asked Henry this time or two, but I'll ask you now you've seen football for your software, you so would you say that what are the biggest issues for football?
Speaker 4: The coaching change was big and me and Harry talking about the wide receiver two position, not a great wide receiver two, the O line and yeah, disappointing year, but we'll see what Brennan can do. Do you do you sense that the players are playing hard for the coach.
Speaker 2: I think they do like the coach.
Speaker 4: You like Brennan's always clapping and have you during the game in the DC. I know he's older, but the coaches say they like him a lot. I think Brennan still has the locker room. I just think it's lack of skills.
Speaker 2: Henry, do you want to refrut to what the Kobe just said.
Speaker 3: I kind of agree he's saying. I also agree with the thing you talked about a couple of weeks ago, how they don't fear him because he was nice to them from the start, so they don't feel like they're gonna give you disciplined if something goes wrong like that.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, it's like they need each other in a in a weird way, right you convince them to stay, to be part of the team, and you're saying, come on, guys or whatever whatever cell job you gave. Now that they're back, you said, well, we're here, We're here for you. What else did you want? Is this? Is this a generational thing?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: I mean it's is it one of those things where it's like, hey, the way you reach his general is this general parenting? You know you're not going to reach his team. You know, by you would have been, you would be in jail right now. Mike, Yes, I would. I would. I mean I'd like, I don't believe in you know, talk to my daughter who's here from the in from Boston, if she were here there right now, she'd be like going, yeah, I'm not a big general parenting guy. Uh the I just you know, I remember my dad not a general parenting. It's a generational thing, it is, so is is what he's doing. Is that reaching the players more than it would if you were yelling and screaming. And I still believe this. I still believe this. And it's a fine line to be a coach. Now, I generally believe that kids of this age want to if you're an athlete, want to be coached, and they want to be taught to become better players. They also know more than the coach. They also, Hey, I was a young dude, stupid young man, and I knew more than my dad. I realized I didn't know more than a dad when I had a son, and I had no idea how to raise one. You know, that phrase is I my dad became smarter smarter as I became older, And it's that's the way it is. Well, sure, I mean we're not going to get an a pairenting here. We're trying to keep it on coaching. But the thing but but well, that's the thing about it. I mean, how do you how do you reach this team or how do you lose this team? If you know, I mean a yeller and a screamer right now, Woody Hayes, No, no, Woody Hayes wouldn't be coaching this team. Well, let's talk. Let's not even go to Brendan. Let's go to Tommy. Let's go to Tommy because now this is a fresher example. Sure, this is a fresh for example, because he's these guys don't even know who what Haes is. But let's go to Tommy because it's a new example of having to get on the guys, uh to a certain level. Right, and if you get on them too much, what if they shut down? Yeah? Let me let me say that you guys are here when when your kids from Illinois and Boswell, Boswell? Okay, so this is fact I'm saying. In fact, he's and then he's only seventeen, he's only eighteen, he's only nineteen, and he was at a black check table in Vegas? Right now? Did we ever know what happened to the kid? Disciplinary wise? Probably couldn't do anything with him because you needed the kid. Yeah yeah, And so what kind of respect are you going to get from that by not being able to discipline? Maybe they did inside and we didn't know what it was, but he played the next game? Yeah right, Well, am I making I think you need to?
Speaker 3: I see, I see what you're saying. We don't know you can't really disabout him because you need them, So.
Speaker 2: You get right right right? And if you say, and this is not an example to this, but Mike Quinn being at eleven, you better be in at eleven. You show up at eleven ten and I don't do anything to that. What's the point of telling you being by eleven? Well, no, absolutely, and I think that you need to hold that stand. I do love one of Bill Walton's best stories about John Wooden, where John Wooden he finally went to John Wooden and he said, He's like, Coach, He goes, I understand that you want me to cut my hair and you want me to cut my beard. But you know, it's like going, this is who I am, and this is what I believe in, and I'm going to stand here and Coach wood And said, I I think it's great that you're standing up for something. And we're going to miss you, you know, Bill Walton, And you know, I know John Woulden. I've talked to John. He's talked to me. I haven't talked to him. He talked to me, and he would have he would have said, look, we got we got other people here. I don't know if we have a coach that would do that. We don't live in those times anymore. Well, that's that's again.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: We don't live in those times. We live we live in a time of general parenting and I think that's the way you reach what. I just saw a young lady here that back from college when I was I coached her in a in a little small tournament when she was twelve and raised my voice. And she's still I mean, I think she's twenty now. So I saw her at the hardware store and she didn't want to talk to me. It's like still holding that crutch about, you know now. So it's one of those things, is like, and I'm fine with that. I mean, it's like she got better. I don't care, which was my point as a coach. But that's the thing about it. Do you do you reach the players better by being the clapper and the glad hander now, or do you reach players better by yelling and screaming and putting a foot in there? Well, I think there's a fine line between one or the other. We already have one example of football, and that's zero for one right now, right with the clapper and the appreciator. How many times Tommy Lloyd lose his stuff? We haven't really seen it. A whole heck of a lot, he says he has. He says he kind of does in other ways. Well, we'll see you we'll see how it how it works. Yeah, I mean, I don't know if Mike certainly you've seen him lose his stuff. Yeah, yeah. And and he's my I mean, he has a reputation. These dudes, these dudes either transferred or they didn't play. You know, he was one of those guys. Okay, see later if you don't enjoy it, I'm gonna be here. I don't know if you will be, but I'm gonna be here. Coach Lopez. Did you listen to the show last time with Coach? And I hope I'm not doing anything that I shouldn't be doing because I think he said this publicly. And the thing that when he went out recruiting one time and he spoke to the kid, obviously they wanted the kid. The mom came in and the mom said, do you yell at the kids? And he says, yes, yes, I do. He didn't come here. The kid didn't come here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Well that's the thing about it. I mean, there's some there. There are a lot of you know, anxious, fragile people here. We've lost a bit of resilience and I'm sure some individuals. Sure, and not to say that that's the issue. But how do you motivate, how do you motivate, how do you motivate the guys to play? Well, you have the bench, I mean the Bobbie Night you say all the time. The greatest motivator is does just sit down right there? Son, and you'll get back in when you get back in, right And it's true. Now, the problem, one of the problems that we're not very deep. No, you have ten, ten guys. You have ten guys, but you're deep Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah. Last year they only were eight guys the whole sea.
Speaker 2: That's all he would do. Even now, how many did he go with? Probably eight or nine. He didn't play. He didn't play Martinez.
Speaker 3: Played double or so Brian Waka and that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's who he's gonna go with. He'll play Martinez when he has a chance to play Martinez because they don't really need Martinez in the backcourt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they really don't have like a true ball handler.
Speaker 2: No, but they if he could shoot it, they would, I mean yeah, because you have the three guys. And you know, the funny thing is I got I got called out Friday night by one of my good friends and former former guy at Uba. I said, they're gonna be so good in the good back court because if kay J Lewis is is cold, they're gonna have Caleb Love. And if they have Caleb Love, don't have Calea Love, They'll have Jane Bradley. Two of those guys can't be going for that time. And he says, how did this tweet last? This is well in age? Well, yeah, didn't age well, And I'm thinking you're right, it didn't. They didn't shoot well. Also, Duke is pretty damn good. Pretty good. I mean, Duke Duke is a good team. There's no doubt about our flag is is the real deal? Okay, the uh we are too. You know we've seen you know, we've seen this team play. You know, I mean people in this team play. So it's like I just hopefully they hopefully they they they they come around and uh give him out. That was was Caleb running the point the whole year last year or no, no, no, he's not at all. He was Yeah, he was off. He was off the ball. So I'm not sure how different is this position? Then, well, that's the thing we're talking about. He's what eighty fourth? I think in the latest NBA drafting eighty four. This is the first team All American. He's not he's not a ball on ball guy. He's a shooter guy. He is, And maybe that's another issue why he's not a big NBA guy because he needs to to the ball more. But if you can't handle the ball, now, why press him into a situation that he doesn't do any good at? Yeah? I know, well, you know, I don't know. He played, he kind of played. He played a bit off the ball last year. He's playing off the ball this year. Yeah, I don't know how different this position is. Maybe he's just in a slump. Well, I mean, people get shooters getting slumps and shooters shoot, so you know, but you got to tell you what, if you're shooting one from behind the arc, you gotta a bad missus. Yeah, you got to start getting them good. How are we doing all the time?
Speaker 3: We got like a minute?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah enough. If you can't get to the line and get your shot down, then then you're not And then when you get the line, you better you better make them. Yeah. Well, I mean, if you're ninety percent free throw shooter, you need to Yeah. Well, you know, we can solve everybody else's the problems. Do you have any problems at the house. I have no problems. Okay, hot tub's not working very well. Well, I can't do anything for that. You know, need work on that. That's what I called this show that the best thing. We can solve everybody else problems, but we can't solve our own. If you can fix any six problem calling, yeah, okay, let's go.