Speaker 1: It's Josh Freaky with a couple of dump shits.
Speaker 2: Hello, Primates.
Speaker 1: That greeting has a particular significance today. Anyway, you found Primus Tracks. Congratulations, I am feeling pretty bubbly. I'm doctor Josh Bald, one of the hosts of Primus Tracks. He is bursting with excitement today from the thirty ninth floor of Primus Tracks Towers is Encyclopedia. Frankie Beresteine, Hey, Josh, Frankie, it's a big day here at Primus Tracks, where it's the end of the record. We're getting close to the end of the Monolith of Phobos, and we are celebrating the release of the Great Paradox and the Golden Egg of Empathy.
Speaker 2: So when one thing finishes, another begins.
Speaker 1: Is in life a circle? That's right, just circular like the face of a chimpanzee. It's true. We are talking about bubbles Burst today. What do you want to say about the new Claypool Lendon Delirium record Quick capsule review Frankie.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm super excited about it. It does have a lot of replay value for me, and I've been playing it once or twice per day since he was released, and I'm still I'm still getting acquainted with it. I'm still discovering things here and there. I do have my favorites pretty well established, but I'm still discovering things in all the other tracks. And what I particularly enjoy about it is that it works as a concept piece when you play it back to back, but the songs stand on their own and you can also enjoy them as individual pieces. Troll b It is already one of my all time favorite Clippo. Then on the lyric tracks, that song is just fantastic. We'll go deeper into it in a couple of years, but.
Speaker 1: Whatever we could do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Rich made a really fantastic companion piece with the with the comic book and what I do. What I appreciate the most about this record is that it feels rewarding for physical media enthusiasts like myself in a day and age where everything is streamed and then forgotten. I think it's a really great thing that they put out a record that goes beyond the liner notes and actually offers you something to dig into and enjoy. I did spend a lot of a long time gazing at those illustrations taking the story and what can I say? What a fantastic release. What's your early take on the record.
Speaker 1: I've only had time to get through it twice and I have not much to say about it yet, which I suppose allows me to save it for the individual episodes. But there are some things that have caught my ears. There's plenty that has caught my eye thanks to Rich Ragsdale. And if you haven't listened to our episode with Rich Ragsdale for crying out loud, go do it right now. Press pause on this one. Okay, you're back. You've listened to the Rich raged episode. Great, and we may continue talking about bubbles Burst. It is track ten on your Monolith of Phobos record. It checks in at four minutes and ten seconds. Credits are as follows. Music Sean Lennon and Less Claypool, lyrics Sean Lennon, Less Claypool vocals and bass, Lennon vocals, guitar, melotron and drums. And on your vinyl edition, Frankie Less is credited with lead vocals on this track. That seems in error. Yeah, so something happened there. I guess that makes your vinyl Collector's item.
Speaker 2: Now, do not forget. We need to talk about the music video.
Speaker 1: Certainly there's a music video. There's even a demo version of this tune. This there's a lot around bubbles Burst, and.
Speaker 2: Because it was it was the gateway to the Delirium. It was the first thing they ever put out, so I think they wanted to make a big show about it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you can address all of that and more right now.
Speaker 2: Well, no, actually, I think Cricket was the introduction to the Delirium. Yes, you're right, Yeah, that was the lead single, Yes, yes, But Bubbles was the first track to receive a music video and the only track so far which we've been able to hear in demo format from the Delirium catalog. So I think that while well, Cricket was the gateway to Delyrium, I think Bubbles garnered a bit more of attention because of its subject matter. And we'll go into that in a moment. Let's just review some statistics. Bubbles Burst was performed heavily during the twenty sixteen portion of the promotion of the record, when it was brand new, when it was fresh. And the thing is that while all the other tracks were dobro pieces, which were accommodated to PACYDRM on the second leg. Bubbles Burst was performed on Packyrm since the very beginning, it was always a PACKYDRM song. Interesting, Yes, and the song was performed for the last time to date at that back to back show in the Boulder Theater in Colorado. It has not been performed again since in any delirium cons Curiously, the song was mentioned by Sean Lennon during the recent Golden Egg of Empathy listening party. I don't know if you if you caught that part in the in the chat, I didn't. I think someone might have brought up the track And then Sean said that they used to perform it at the beginning, but they dropped it because he I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like people just weren't into it that much. So it was perceived as kind of a downer. She was removed from from the setlists.
Speaker 1: And I assume by downer you mean it's so down tempo that it's not engaging the crowd as much as something a bit more upbeat.
Speaker 2: With and well, and it's sad. I mean lyrically, it's a very sad song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I it's something you're playing to fifteen hundred people, and then you remind them of the the insanity of Michael Jackson. You're gonna they're gonna get lost in thought.
Speaker 3: And it's and this is something that was highlighted that the Bullboard when the album had just come out ten years ago, lots of people made the same observation that the song was really sad, that it kind of ended the record on a very sad note.
Speaker 1: It is, I agree, it is. The musicality of it. The musicianship is all fantastic, but it is so I'm struggling for a word. It's not depressing, but it certainly is not a joyful tune. And then the lyrics on top of it, it's it's bizarre. It is a bizarre tune and I really like it.
Speaker 2: And I think it perfectly. It perfectly highlights what Liz saith about how jarring and how drastic the differences in their lives are when they started to get to know each other, and Less said, well, I come from a long line of mechanics, so he couldn't believe some of the things Sewn just casually threw out right, like being getting picked up at school by David Bowie and being helped by him to do the homework, being babysat by Carrie Fisher, and then hanging out with Michael Jackson's pet Chimpinzee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was. In the interstitials on that Boston Live performance, they have those interviews in between some of the tunes, and Less tongue in cheeks says, yeah, Sean had a really normal upbringing, no different than anybody else. I'm paraphrasing, but something like that, and yeah, what a childhood. So what's interesting is that this He says he's resisted writing songs about his life experiences, had up to that point for quite some time, but in talking with Less, he was convinced to just write about bubbles and that experience. In fact, Frankie, we can let Sean Lennon do all the talking today if you like. He was on All Songs Considered on NPR back in June of twenty sixteen, had a nice conversation with the host of that program and answered a lot of questions that you and I probably would have lobbed his way as well.
Speaker 4: But there's also a new video for the song that makes it all seem a lot more unsettling. Newell Fielding of the UK show The Mighty Boosh portrays Jackson, and he does it in such a wildly exaggerated way that he makes Jackson seem almost grotesque or demented, like he's completely insane. As the video unfolds, he tries to convince Bubbles to take a bath with him, to be his friend, and to share candy together.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to play that part first because the host seems incredulous at the portrayal of Michael Jackson and the Bubbles first video, which if you have not seen that video, he's spot on the Noel Fielding portrayal and the direction and by Less. By the way, Less directed the live action portions of the video, with of course animation by our friend Webster cold Cord. Near the end, Less is using a lot of close ups and upshots, and so Nol Fielding and as Michael Jackson makeup and costuming is right in your face and he's above you. So it's disconcerting, it's it's brilliant in that regard.
Speaker 2: I think Charlotte also had a hand in the video, right.
Speaker 1: Sean and Charlotte are credited as producers, along with Age and Oh Yeah, Cool Yeah, everybody was on deck for this one. So the video itself is certainly I actually I really like the video because I like some of this, you know, I like freak out stuff. Why not?
Speaker 2: And I urge you listeners to check out our classic Webster Cold Court episode which we're recorded way way back, because he goes into great detail about the claimation portion of these video.
Speaker 1: Right and as far as the live action goes, Nolan Mike Fielding do wonderful work as Michael and Bubbles uh those you probably know those names from the Mighty Boosh uh and Noel if I recall correctly, Frankie is an outspoken Primus and Less Claypool fan, so I think that connection was ready, it.
Speaker 2: Goes, It goes both ways. I think Less he's a huge fan as well.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred percent. Yes, uh. Less is noted for his affinity for British and UK comedies.
Speaker 2: Especially he's got those paintings hanging that popularm station.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, yes, so he's those those two guys certainly have a connection. So those close ups of Noel Fielding's face as Michael Jackson are just excellent. They really they really portray just this uh, this feeling of being kind of love bombed in a way like he's so he's so doting on Bubbles in this representation in the video, but he's above you, you know, because the camera's below his face, and so he's almost smothering you. And I think that's really good direction and camera work coming from from Less who wrote and directed the video. It's it's bizarre. I'm a big fan of it. So let's return to the conversation from All Songs Considered with Sean Lennon about the purpose of the video.
Speaker 5: For me, I think it's important that even if people don't believe me or are angry about the way Michael's portrayed in the video, that the truth is my intention is very sincere and harmless, and I'm just making a song. I'm not like trying to take him out or anything or put him down. It was just kind of like having fun and trying to talk about an odd situation in a way that makes it art. The idea of like Childhood's inn in Bubbles Burst was using the metaphor of a chimne who's fun when he's a toy, but then when he gets old, like things get too real. Using that as a metaphor for my life and specifically, you know, a feeling that was hovering around when I was hanging out with Michael.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, he also goes on Frankie to explain why this track was included on Monolith Phobos.
Speaker 5: Well, I was telling you less about it, he's and we were talking about song topics, and it just seemed like it fit in with the theme of kind of a trippy narrative that our record has, and you know, I thought it would be interesting to write about something that actually happened. I don't know, it just felt right. I think I sort of resisted much of my life talking about those kinds of stories because they just seemed so hard for me to figure out how to translate them or relate them. Yea, Yeah, And I just thought it was an interesting metaphor for kind of what happened to a lot of Michael's friends who were my age. You know, it felt like there was something odd going on, and I didn't I still don't know what it's. You know, nothing ever weird happened to me in an illegal way, but it's just the whole place seemed like I was in some sort of Peter Pan fantasy land, and there was a sense that when Bubbles got too old, he had to be gotten rid of, you know, because chimpanzees turned into angry adults.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting that he's getting into this the metaphor of the bubble and the bubble bursting. Yes, and so the childhood being that bubble. He also, I don't know if I've played it yet. He also describes Michael's life as a bubble and before there was a lot of media and even law enforcement scrutiny of his actions.
Speaker 2: That's certainly what it sounds like. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sean also gets into an explanation of these lyrics.
Speaker 4: The line you say, there's a in the song where you say we didn't understand dancing with Peter pan I assume you mean Michael.
Speaker 1: What would be the result?
Speaker 4: What would what would be the result when we turned into young adults?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he didn't realize that it was neither nor bubbles nor eye realized, you know, that getting older was going to make it make us less viable playmates, you know. Yeah, And there was something kind of sad about that. So I don't know, I wasn't trying to judge the situation in a positive or negative sense. I just was trying to explain, like what it felt like.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a great point because he's not trying to pass judgment. We know michaels as.
Speaker 2: They were our facts, Yeah, and we know Michael surrounded himself with particular kind of company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know that Michael had some issues. I'm glad nothing happened to Sean, obviously, but it's certain beyond the realm of the ordinary, what Michael was doing, and the fact that he had friends that were decades younger than him, yes, speaks to some things that can get see me unseemly.
Speaker 2: They can, and you can understand perfectly why. But at the same time, I mean, I'm not like a Michael Jackson advocator. I do admire his work. I'm not invested in defending his public image. But I think that having seen the Living with Michael Jackson documentary a couple of times, you do get a very interesting glimpse into his persona and it does, I mean, at least for me, it did lessen the impression or the doubt about whether he ever did something malicious, because in that documentary you kind of see behind the scenes Michael Jackson he's not on stage, he's not performing, he's just doing his regular activities. And you do notice quite a few things in the documentary. First of all, how incredibly lonely he was. There's a part in the documentary where he's just writing a golf cart around the hotel, which was fully booked for him and as such it's only inhabited by his crew at the moment, and he's just driving that golf cart around in the middle of the night because he's got no one to talk to, he's got nothing to do. He probably couldn't sleep, and I mean, it just shows that he never really had a friend or someone at hand to combat that or to lessen that loneliness. There's also a part where he's leaving a mall and a fan attempt to approach him and the fences. I know all your songs on guitar. I love playing your songs on guitar, and Michael seems genuinely interested in having a conversation with him, but then he's whiskered away by security, and you can see the disappointment in Michael's face. And there's another part where he's confronted by Martin Bashir, who was by the way. He was very heavily criticized by when this documentary came out because of his approach, which was kind of it had kind of an ambush quality to it. So he confronted Michael near the end of the documentary and he said, well, you're you're sleeping with underage boys in your bath. You have sleepovers with boys, you don't you see how that can be perceived the wrong way? And you can see just how brutally honest Michael is in his replies. He says, no, nothing, nothing malicious is going on. We just sleep. We just sleep together. And that doesn't make it right, but it does keep you in pro ession that Michael was a kid in his mind. He perceived himself just like the rest of the boys. I don't think in his mind he was an adult doing something creepy with children. In his mind, I think he was genuinely having a sleepover with his friends. And that is reinforced by a portion of the documentary where they are exploring Neverland and Michael is walking around with a group of kids and then this guy comes out with an ice cream cart and he says, who would like to have the first scoop? And you can see Michael pushing back the children and saying saying me, I mean that does paint a picture of a guy that thought of himself as a child.
Speaker 1: I think he either never grew up or never had a childhood.
Speaker 2: I think his childhood was stolen. Definitely.
Speaker 1: Oh, certainly he was. You know, he was on stage at such an early age. Didn't have a normal childhood either. So I don't suppose you we're here to psycho analyze Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: So just just sharing some facts. But if you, by the way, if you enjoyed Noel Fielding's performance in the Bubbles Verst video, you got to check him out and black Ding Paler by Casabian where he performs the part of Blad Dame Paler.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that one. I will check that out.
Speaker 2: He's dressed up as as Blad and he's walking around carrying a huge pine pine tree.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he can replicate Vladi in Paler's sweet moves much like he did Michael's.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think he nails I think he nailed those.
Speaker 1: I do want to play one more clip from the All Songs Considered about.
Speaker 2: Oh, then I'll take my quote with you after that.
Speaker 1: One, please.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So this is in particular about Noel's portrayal.
Speaker 4: Well, so you've got a guy portraying Michael Jackson in the video, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's not a terribly flattering portrayal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean I don't think that creepiness is insulting. I just think it's more fun. And I think the video is like a it's a parallel dimension, and it's a dark kind of comedic manifestation of something that comes more out of the song and not out of real life. So it's like a reflection of a reflection. But of course the whole story has a darkness to it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like the representation of him isn't I mean, as a visual poem, I think it kind of represents something real. You know. He was very lonely, and he was weird, and he had weird interests, and he was in this kind of you know, Peter Pan universe that he created a bubble for himself, you know, and there's something dark about that there.
Speaker 1: You go, Wow, what's your what's the quote?
Speaker 2: You have?
Speaker 1: Dogment?
Speaker 2: I think it's just one of many stories I have that are interesting from having a different kind of childhood. But it's a song about being friends with Bubble, Michael Jackson's chimpanzee, and spending time at Michael's house in California with Bubbles and a Boa Constrictor and a bunch of other animals. I think that was a super strange time, but not in a dark way, in an odd way, a unique way. It was odd because Bubbles was older, stop in Dandie the Outfits, and we were all running around playing video games with a chimpanzee. It was a surreal scene. It was kind of part Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, part Doctor Dolittle, and part you know, more Town's greatest hits. It was a conversience conversions of a lot of desperated universes that merged for a while. And that was a strange scene, but it was also really fun. I mean, it was amazing to hang out with all those animals, but there was also something very eccentric about it. He was the coolest dude I've met, for sure. Referring to Michael, he says, I mean people, they have a lot of opinions about him, and like anything else, my opinions can only be based on my experience. He was super fun to hang out with. I mean, he was a big keith, you know. The time that I got to spend with him was like Disneyland all day long. He'd set up water balloon fights and pie fights and basketball courts, just really fun stuff where he'd invite all his friends over and there'd be two teams and everyone would dress in garbage bags and throw pies at each other. It was a super high level fun orchestrated insanity. I mean, whatever happened with him and anyone else, I have no opinion about it because I wasn't there. But when I talk about it in Bubbles Burst, I wasn't trying to be critical. I was simply trying to document the truth this happened, That's all I will say. I think a lot of people thought I was criticizing him, or not criticizing him enough, or whatever, But it wasn't about that. The song was really just documenting a strange time in my life, a surreal moment of my life that is very memorable.
Speaker 1: I think that stands in support of what we heard from him earlier and what we said, which is this is Sean telling his lived experience. He can't speak to anything else and won't, but I do appreciate the metaphor of childhood's and the bubble bursting. Childhood does feel like a really comfortable bubble that you're in. Transitioning to adulthood bursts that bubble and then you are saddled with all the responsibilities of being an adult, or you know, in Sean's case, he aged out of being Michael's friend and the bubble burst for him. I don't think too many people have had similar childhood experiences, so I'm glad he told the story, you know, with him telling the story of the lyrics for us, we don't really have to say much other than I really love the line feasting on candy and dressed like a dandy.
Speaker 2: We do need to highlight how the video I mean, because it's a laypole and on the Delrium track. It's kind of a cult thing. It's not that much in the mainstream, but it did generate some backlash, and I think it did garner attention from people whom otherwise would never have felt the need to attack less Claypoole on YouTube, and I think it's understandable. I mean, there were quite a few negative comments when the video came out all over on YouTube, read it and elsewhere. And while I don't agree with the comments, I do understand where they come from. Michael Jackson fans are very protective of his image and his life, and I understand why they would react in such way to the video, which to them might come across as a parody, as a hard critique right because of the exaggerated way in which he was portrayed. But I think this also steems from the way they perceived Michael to have kind of a fragility to him, a vulnerability, I guess, and an example of that would be the Jeffersons from South Park. We know that over the time some celebrities have actually been vocal about their disapproval of their portrayals in South Park, one high profile case being Barbara Streisand, whom is known to have hated the mecha Strisand episode, and the case of Michael, he never he never went on a record publicly to express an opinion about the episode, but I've read that people close to him said that he was deeply hurt by the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember hearing about that. There's all these layers, you know, celebrity, being a pop star, what you miss when you don't have, you know, what we would call a modern childhood, being an adult trying to get that back some way, and just what that does to your emotional state. And that's just the beginning. There's there's so much more to it. It's and then of course, yeah, and then of course what people say about you in the public sphere, because you're a public figure and there's always somebody trying to score points off you. I would say in general, Michael didn't do himself any favors.
Speaker 2: And Sean used a key word in his quote. He said, insanity, And yeah, that is precisely what I think these was. I mean, having a pit chimpanzee. It cannot be described in any other way other than insane. But you know, it's interesting because, as as I mentioned previously, I don't think there was any malicious intent. People can be very critical about chimpanzee pets, and one high profile example being Charlen Nash who have her face, nose, eyelids, and hands tore off by a chimpanzee who was the pet chimp from her friend Wow. And that that chimpanzee was called Travis, and that was a high profile case from two thousand and nine. And I mean if people have been very critical about that, of course they would be hyper critical about a pop star having a pet chimpanzee, which could be perceived as something really frivolous. Again, I don't think Michael understood the ramifications of what having a pet chimpanzee involved. There were actually some observations from people close to him whom expressed their disapproval about it. Housekeepers included they were not third, They were not thrilled about having to wipe off feces from the wall on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: If you were going to pull anybody in that organization may be the first one to stand up and say no.
Speaker 2: Yesh Rashida Jones also went on record to say that she was bitten by Bubbles once.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know.
Speaker 2: She tried to discipline him because he was being ruth and he beat her hand.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So by two thousand and three, when Bubbles had become more aggressive and dangerous, no pun intended. I think that Michael was not aware of what having a pitt chimpanzee involved until two thousand and five, when he was taken away. Right now, as of the present, Bubbles is still alive. He hates being photographed, he likes throwing water and sand at people, and he enjoys the companies of other chimps. I believe he's at a sanctuary and the Michael Jackson State still covers all of his expenses to this day.
Speaker 1: Wow, I was unaware Bubbles was still around, So that's fast.
Speaker 2: He's still around, But he looks nothing like that adorable chimp that Michael used to carry around in his arms. His features changed quite a bit, and as Allan do, his current takers describe him as very shy, but with a sweet temper, and known to have an inclination towards the arts. He enjoys painting and in listening to music.
Speaker 1: Now, now do we know his attitude towards Michael Fielding's portrayal of him in the video.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a great question.
Speaker 1: I guess you could look at it as when a kid says I want a pet chimp, you say, oh, that's cute. You know they're they're a kid, they want a chimp. They don't understand. It's unfeasible when an adult millionaire says I want a chimp, and they go out and get one. All right, something's something's up anyhow.
Speaker 2: There's a parallel there with Prince, and I think it illustrates it illustrates very well the mentality of people like Michael Jackson acquiring pet chimpanzees. There was a Q and A with Kevin Smith quite a few years ago where somebody asked about his experience working with Prince, and Kevin goes into this thirty minute plus tangent to answer the question, describing in detail all his experience. Long story short. There was one one day at Paisley Park where Kevin had just had about enough and he was having a conversation with Prince's assistant and Kevin just casually asked, is he always such an asshole? And the assistant told him, he's not aware that he's being an asshole. She said, for instance, the last week, Prince called me at two am and he told me that he wanted me to secure a camel for him. And Kevin asked, why did he want a camel? She said, I've stopped asking those kinds of questions a long time ago. I don't know why he wanted a camel at two in the morning in Minneapolis. But I had to tell him that it was not feasible for me to produce a camel at that time or ever. And she said, but he was not trying to be an asshole. He just couldn't understand why it wasn't possible, because in his mind it was a perfectly feasible request. And I think that perfectly illustrates what happened with Bubbles. I think Michael didn't think there was anything wrong with securing a pet chimpanzee and having him playing around with other children. I think another example would be Michael's attempt to purchase Joseph Merrick's skeleton. About that. Yeah, you could look at it from the angle of well, does these guys seriously believe that he's entitled to something like that? But I think you have to approach it from the perspective that in his mind, he was not doing anything wrong by asking. So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the mind of a child in the mind of a deranged millionaire. The only difference is one of them has the means exactly. All Right, we were through the looking glass. Now we've done it. Let's sample some of the music here. I actually want to play the demo first, and I don't know if I'm blowing your mind by telling you, Frankie, I prefer the demo version of this song.
Speaker 2: You said that before. I think it's quite interesting.
Speaker 1: I think it's very fitting because this is such an introspective tune. To hear the demo, which is Sean solo acoustic. Essentially, he's just sitting on his porch and playing this chord progression and singing his song. For those of you who have not heard the Bubbles demo, it was a bonus track on the Japanese edition of Monolithiphobos. I looked for it on YouTube, Frankie, because I had lost my MP three copy of it. I think it's pretty hard to find.
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, and I'm amazed that was included in the Japanese pressing in the first place. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love getting a demo, and of course it's for a Sean song, not a less song. Let's hear a Let's hear a titch of that.
Speaker 6: In eighty three.
Speaker 2: Texas FIR seventy, he was just a few months song.
Speaker 1: Taling he'd been.
Speaker 2: So name, fun name.
Speaker 1: You know, it doesn't really sound like a demo because of the quality. But in twenty sixteen. A demo can sound like a polished studio recording. But yes, the guitars sound fantastic. I like the pacing. It just sounds like a like a singer songwriter rendition, kind of a stripped down version of it. I would imagine you remember our pal Matt Weiniger said he heard Sean Strumman this tune at Rancho Alaxo and said that's good. You better record it. And Sean said, I did, I got it. You know, if Matt Winerger tells you what's good, you better record it.
Speaker 2: And I want to point out that the lyrics are factually correct. Bubbles was born at a research facility in nineteen eighty three, a facility which bread chimpanzees with the purpose of conducting research. Michael acquired him when he was eight months old, and the purchase was looked by Bob Dun animal experts.
Speaker 1: Wow, a chimpanzee in a facility in nineteen eighty three sounds like the beginning of Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: Right very close.
Speaker 1: So that's that's just a sample of the demo. It's very satisfying for me, although Frankie had to send me his copy of it, and I take umbrage Frankie because in the metadata you have the artist's Primus.
Speaker 2: Yes, because all my stuff is under Primus.
Speaker 1: How could you do this? Even though I don't like I don't like your bowie, that's all under Primis too.
Speaker 2: I don't like to be clicking around like going through Claypool Delirium Primos. Now, just everything under Primus and life is much easier.
Speaker 1: But this, but that's your digital collection digital, yes, of course, Okay, you don't do that with your records and tapes and CDs.
Speaker 2: Everything is chronological.
Speaker 1: We had that discussion with Sam.
Speaker 5: So Yeah.
Speaker 1: Note to any visitors to Primus tracks towers, if you're able to breach security and get into Frankie's record collection, just move one of them, just one, and and on your way out as you're escorted out by security, Uh, tell him you moved just one and see how long it takes him to find it, how many how many wigs into pays he goes through as he grips his hair out. Uh So the studio cut that we're all familiar with has a lot more instrumentation to it. It's got a lot going on. I would never be Yeah, the bass is pretty cool. I would never yeah, and I would never say a track by the Claypool Lenon Delirium is overproduced. And what I mean by that is it's still bass, drums, guitar, melotron, vocals. Yes, but they do put it all together, even though this is down tempo and probably didn't translate live, which is why we haven't heard of it for almost a decade. I think I think it all comes together very nicely.
Speaker 2: And and it's it's very interesting because Less has said.
Speaker 1: How.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I didn't that was that was the shut of music, right, I was.
Speaker 1: Playing you off? No, I just turned it all the way down because I was going to try to queue up apart go ahead.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Well, how Less and Sean have said that they push each other artistically, like Les pushes Sean to be more technically proficient, and Sean pushes Less to explore melody in a way which he otherwise wouldn't with the rest of his of his work, and not only vocally, because I mean you do get Less uh doing vocal harmonies, which is not something common in his discography, but in this track, but in this trick, but I mean not not in in the way that he does it with with delirium, but with this track in particular, I think that goes beyond the vocal harmonies. And it's also prevalent in the way he played the bassline. It's so melancholic and evocative in a way that I hadn't heard him play like that before. Prior to this track, I had never heard a less Colleople baseline and thought, oh wow, that's that's really sad. That had never happened before until this song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the closest we come to this kind of melodic, almost pretty playing as Mary Day ice Cube and that, And I'm not saying it's similar at all other than in that spirit. I think because this is yeah, this is pretty, yes, but.
Speaker 2: It's also very enjoyable because it's not flat. I mean, it doesn't stay the same through the It actually has very clear different sections. And my favorite, of course, as you know that you know that I'm a very cathartic person, So my favorite part is the catharis of the track at the end, which is also which is very reminiscent of the on Boomerang Baby.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, it's related. I think that catharsis is emblematic of the instrumentation you know, reaching reaching a higher level after all the melodic beauty, uh and or I guess melancholic beauty as you as you termed it. And then we get a nice guitar solo that leads into a pretty sass, pretty satisfying conclusion here.
Speaker 2: That's pretty satisfying, and it goes so well with the animation done by Webster.
Speaker 1: Yes that as Michael escapes with this is animated, Michael escapes and.
Speaker 2: He transforms into a metallic version.
Speaker 1: Of l Yeah, which reminded me of the cover of Is It History?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's like the Greatest Hits Packatch or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the one. And then he and Bubbles go into a bathtub in space, yeah, where they live happily ever after.
Speaker 2: Can we just discuss for a moment how mind blowing it is for someone to keep a chimpanzee as a pit.
Speaker 1: It is. I could not conceive of doing that in any effective way myself.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean speaking about primates, you know, there is something, there's something very peculiar about chimpanzees, and well, what sets them apart from other primates is that, for instance, you have orangutans, which are incredibly strong, but incredibly gentle. There are no recordive attacks in history of an orangul tant killing a person. They are simply not violent by nature. I mean, if you were to they are very solitary, but if you were to run into one in the wild, they will most likely move away from you as quickly as possible. And gorillas can be more defensive. They are more territorial, but they would rather just to scare you off or mock charge you before actually killing you, whereas chimpanzees will kill you no matter what, and they are vicious. A gorilla might just punch you until you lay on the ground with all your bones broken, but then he'll go away. Yeah, but a chimpanzee will not stop. A chimpanzee will turn your face off, he will rip your arms off, and he will rip your genitals off as well. It's the only primate that will do that. They will not stop until they have completely disfigured you, because that's how vicious they are, and there's nothing you can do about it. I mean, if you ran into a chimpanzee in the wild, that are strategies which might work with other primates in order to assert that you're not a threat. Nothing will work with a chimpanzee. They will chase you down and they will kill you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So a gorilla will send a message like a mobster by breaking your bones, but the chimp just wants you dead.
Speaker 2: The chimp wants to rip your genitals off.
Speaker 1: Next time, might take a bunch of kids to the zoo. That's gonna be my warning to them.
Speaker 2: Remember kids, now, now, after hearing that information, just picture a chimpanzee dressed up with with human clothes, yes, dancing around a mansion. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking of primates, Frankie, that beautiful song about primates can only mean one thing. It's time for Primemates takes. If you want your takes about the song of for discussion read right here on the podcast. All you have to do is go to patreon dot com Forward slash Primus Tracks And you know what I think, Frankie is going to have more chimp facts for us on the Patreon. So if you really like learning about animals, Patreon dot com, Ford slash Primus tracks. Our Primates takes this week about bubbles Burst come from first Zach Heard, who says there's only two things guaranteed in this life, childhood's end and bubbles Burst. This is one of my favorites on the record. The tones of the instruments, the lyrics and the story they tell, and especially the nostalgia fills me with even though it's about someone else's experiences. Absolutely beautiful track. Our resident Fish expert Jordan Kahn says I find this track very Pink Floydian. The line Childhood's End was an early seventies single, and Sean's outro solo is quite Gilmour esque.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Childhood's End was released by Pink Floyd in nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 1: Oh very good, So it reminds him of that one. Eric in Australia says, somnolent and ethereal oh Man. Eric's been handling the thesaurus at his library. Eric also says I love the soaring guitar solo. Finally, our landed Gentry Edwin Allen Richards Fourth says I love this song and as a huge fan of the Mighty Boosh, it was so cool seeing two of my favorite worlds collide in the music video.
Speaker 2: I love that song.
Speaker 1: Dot Com, Frankie, are you a Mighty Bush fan?
Speaker 2: I've seen I've seen the bit and yeah, I do enjoy it. I've seen I've seen noil In in other films and they were hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, I first saw him in the It Crowd uh, and then many years later finally watched Mighty Boosh and I love just how surreal and bizarre it is. Both he and his brother Mike are great in it. Yes, thank you Primates, by the way for your take.
Speaker 2: Brooks did not take our jobs today.
Speaker 1: No, we still are gainfully employed. Brooks spared us.
Speaker 2: We still still have a roof for now.
Speaker 1: I'm up on it again, that's for sure. Hello Primates, Josh. Here, after we recorded this episode, I came upon a cover of bubbles Burst posted just a couple of weeks prior by a band called The screw Up, who do a lovely rendition of the track. We hadn't featured any full band CLD covers because they largely don't exist, but this one's well done.
Speaker 7: Enjoy live cutsman a jam vehicle, Live cuts for the Gem vehicle, Live cutsman, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what's going on here. It's live cuts for bubbles Burst. We have two today. We are heading right back out to Columbus, Ohio and Boston. Massachusetts two of Frankie's favorites, and of course they are pro shot and they are available on YouTube, so why wouldn't we reference them? First Up, Columba Rush.
Speaker 2: Is when they performed The Bubbles live. Similarly to the other tracks, it had an extended intro where sewn with Noodle away on the guitar.
Speaker 1: Let's hear him Noodle a bit. For those of you watching along on.
Speaker 6: YouTube, lessons left the stage.
Speaker 1: See this sounds a lot like the demo version. It's not exactly the.
Speaker 6: Same, but I love the.
Speaker 1: Atmosphere of this. That's great.
Speaker 8: Let's hear more of this one, Toyshu.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this before. With these live performances, Paulo brings such confidence and smoothness. I think, yeah, he's he's elevating those studio drums and we pointed that out before. Uh, with this record, it really comes alive with Polo and the kid. There's there's some really nice drive in his plane. There's one more thing he wanted us to hear. It was the outro. Now is this with some of these Monoliths tracks, Frankie, do you find yourself listening to the life cuts more than the studio album.
Speaker 2: With the first record, Yes, with South of Reality. I mean, for me, the studio cuts are just perfect. But with Monolith, yes, I think I do gravitate towards the conference more.
Speaker 1: I suspected as much. Let's move to Boston House of Blues for some of that guitar solo goodness with Bubbles in Boston.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paulo is smooth back there, and Sean solo really shines. Uh live too, It all it all comes together live with these Monolith tracks. I think we're finding except for no one to we're in space because they never played it live. It is my understanding.
Speaker 2: Uh no, it was just played over the PA at the beginning of each show. There was a show introduction, but I never perform his life.
Speaker 1: Oh well, next week's episode is gonna be real fun. Then, well, Bubble's Burst really took us on a journey, Frankie, We've been all over the place with it.
Speaker 2: So such an interesting subject.
Speaker 1: It is an interesting subject. It's a it's a nice tune and it's you know, it's great to hear, you know, something from from Sean that's a little more personal, you know, sharing these things because we we get a lot of stories from Les Claypool as a lyricist from his life, so you you get a it's parasocial, but you still get a connection to the artist in a way that you wouldn't normally. So this, in a way, this humanizes Sean Lennon, if that makes sense, not that he was inhuman before, but it allows us to get him, to get to know him the person and not the name.
Speaker 2: And I think this is just a glimpse, is just a very very small fraction of what Michael's entire of life and persona was. So I guess the lesson here is that no matter how many decades pass, people will never not talk about Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Evergreen topic right there, you bet well, bubbles burst in the time of chimpanzees. I was a monkey and you've been tracked. Next week, Frankie, we answer the age old question, is.
Speaker 2: There their bumper space?
Speaker 1: I wish we had said that more in Unison, but that was pretty good. We're gonna find out they're making a bold claim. I think that's even more controversial than this week's topic. So strap in everybody primates, primates, primates, patrons, prime matrons, people of Earth, people of Phobos chimps all around the world, especially in Texas facilities. Thank you for listening and I'll talk to you next time later days.
Speaker 2: Willa mace H