Speaker 1: It's with d Y.
Speaker 2: I'm all right, welcome back everyone, and we're going from an hour that was really a fun hour with Joeke of State Leone to a much more serious issue, much more serious topic. In the Boston Herald today there was an article by Rick Sobe which talks about an effort that is now underway by an organization called Students and we can probably probably put question quotation markets around students, but students for Justice in Palatine Palestine. This is at a moment as we're approaching the anniversary of the horrific October massacre of last October seventh, and this so called week of rage, that's what they're calling it, a week of age across college campuses, according to Rick Sobey, is sickening those in the Jewish community. You can understand why this week of rage will also bracket some of the holy days of the Jewish calendar, which culminates next week with Yam Kapor and has already started with Rashashana. If you want to go to the website National Students for Justice in Palestine, you'll see what I'm talking about and some of the language that they use. I just want to just touch on this quickly, and then I want to have as many of you respond to this as possible. They write, for over eleven months now, the Zionist entity that's what they call Israel, with the backing of the US and our universities, has committed a horrific assault in the nearly two million Palestinians living in the Gaza Strip. Since the start of this genocide, the people of Gaza have continued to stand steadfast, resilient, and unwavering in the face of these crimes. It is for them that we rise. This is the statement in part from the National Students for Justice and Palestine. Forgetting, of course, that Israel never started this problem. This problem was started on October seventh by himas joining us now is a longtime friend of this program, a journalist, a lawyer in Boston with a great law firm, Minskin Levin, a First Amendment specialist. Jeff Robbins, Jeff, welcome back tonight's side. I'm happy you're here. I'm not happy under the circumstances on which you're joining us tonight. How are you this evening?
Speaker 3: Dan? Thank you so much for having me in. More fundamentally, thank you for the attention that you insist, persist in focusing on this ananity, this moral depravity that we have of people celebrating, celebrating the slaughter of innocence and actually mocking the victims, victims who are victims of kidnapping, rape, being blown apart, being executed at gunpoint, and all out of a genocidal urged by a genocidal organization to slaughter Jews, and supported amazingly by students who regard themselves as progressives and as humanitarians. It beggars the imagination well.
Speaker 2: Their slogan from the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free, clearly, as Rick Sobey writes today, and as the Anti Defamation League says in his column, is an anti Semitic slogan. It calls for a Palestinian state, quoting now from Rick Sobey's piece of the and the Boston Herald, extending from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea, territory that includes the state of Israel, which would mean the dismantling of the Jewish state. How can college students in America be so naive to allow themselves to be really pawns by this group that has, you know, their instincts, If not their actions, certainly their instincts are terrorist. How can so many college students allow themselves to be to be used in this way as unwitting accomplices. I mean, did they teach anything in high school and college today about world history, about what happened you know, seventy or eighty years ago, you know, eighty eighty five years ago in Europe? What does none of this ring bells in their heads. I just don't understand it. I mean, I can understand where you can have people who are just clearly anti Semitic, the the offspring of the far right from a couple of generations ago, who have now fantastasized over on the far left. But you see these these crowds out in the street, Jeff, and it's like, what's going to happen on college campus? Is in the next few weeks? Next week? Actually?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, as you have before, you've posed the question, the profound question, which is, how can people be sucked up or gulled or basically dumbed down into embracing something which is just antithetical to human decency. You've got a group that has has its purpose annihilating Jews, that invades another country, annihilates twelve hundred is only stopped eventually. They tended to annihilate even more than twelve hundred. Rapes, People blows them to pieces, kidnaps them, babies, toddlers, holds them in tunnels. And you have to beg and plead to have people who hold themselves out as humanitarians and as progressives say, you know, that's just unequivocally outrageous and it has to be stopped. And it's not enough to simply say always real has the right to do itself, as though you know that in and of itself means anything, but that Israel has an obligation to prevent this from happening again. And to look one step further, some of these students, who you might imagine have the wit to understand this, that what has happened here is not quote unquote only to slaughter Jews, but to consign tens of thousands of Palestinians to death, which is exactly what Hamas sought to bring about and has brought about. It does not take Einstein to understand how morally depraved this conduct was, and how morally depraved it is to support it, or embrace it, or whitewash it. And yet, as you point out, that's the dilemma we have.
Speaker 2: My guest is Jeff Robbins. Jeff, as I said, is a journalist, a syndicated columnist. Is columns up here once a week in the Boston Herald, amongst other newspapers. He's a lawyer, first amendment scholar with Minskin Levin, a representative of the Clinton administration at the United Nations on the whole questions a question of human rights. We see what's going on. We saw what happened yesterday, one hundred and eighty two hundred ballistic missiles fired in on Israel. If Israel did not have the defense system that they have and that they have built, if it were on fire two hundred ballistic missiles in on any other country in the Middle East, that country would have been obliterated. Thank God that Israel has the Iron Dome and some other ways in which most of these missiles were knocked down. But I just if there are people out there who are empathetic, I'd love to hear from you. And if there are people out there who are just sick of it, and I don't want to go through what we went through last fall. It cost university presidents their jobs because they had no backbone. They didn't even know how to respond to questions that were asked of them in Congress. These were college presidents. I hope, and I really mean that, I hope that there is order maintained so that students can go to classes. Jeff, you're a First Amendment scholar. You represent people on First Amendment cases. These students, they have the right to protest, but the protest always gets to the point where a building is occupied, where Jewish students are harassed, where Jewish students are prevented from actually entering onto the campus that they have paid their tuition to. Why is it that these college administrators don't understand there is a difference between speech and action.
Speaker 3: Well, for one thing, let's let's call a spade a spade. There is a certain amount of gutlessness and fear that pervades university administration buildings. They're afraid of students, they're afraid of faculty.
Speaker 2: You have, for.
Speaker 3: Example, the president of Brandeis Ron Leebwoods, who resigned a couple of days ago after the faculty voted by a narrow margin, by a ten vote margin, a no confidence resolution. Why the no confidence resolution, apparently because he had expelled Students for Justice in Palestine, when they had disrupted campus, when they had vandalized the campus, when they had intimidated kids. So you have faculty being just as witless in some cases as the students are not all faculty but a group of faculty, And so you have university halls and college administrations petrified of blowback if they have the stones. I think that's the first Amendment phrase, to stand up and say no, you can't do that, you can't do that. So there's been a wave of intimidation on campuses on many levels. Jewish kids are intimidated. Non Jewish kids who are who have an inkling that they want to stand up for their Jewish friends and against this crap are intimidated. You've got intimidation and university halls and it is purposeful and frankly, Students for Justice in Palestine, as you point out, you can put quotes around students, quotes around justice and quotes around Palestine is an organization that has gotten very, very effective at intimidating people. And that's this is where the rubber meets the road. Whether or not people students faculty Jewish non Jewish administrations, whether they stand up to the intimidation or not. We're going to see whether that happens this school year.
Speaker 2: When we get back, I want to talk a little bit about the amount of financial support that many of these universities are receiving from Middle Eastern countries and whether or not that plays a role in their lack of spine or their seeming lack of spine. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. I'd love to have you join the conversation, whatever your point of view on this is, because we need to talk about this, and that's why we're doing this tonight. Tonight is Thursday. The anniversary Tonight is Thursday, October third. The anniversary of what happened a year ago will be on Monday, and it was timed that way, I'm sure, by Hamas, to do it during a period of time of reflection and prayer in Israel, and here we have a year later. As opposed to all of us memorializing and remembering those who were lost and those who were still captive, Students for Justice and Palace Design are going to try to turn it around and turn the spotlight away from the real victims towards what they claim a victims Palestinians who live in Gaza. But those Palestinians have been placed in the line of fire. They are basically being held against their will by Hamas in Gaza. And you know, Hamas from a tactical point of view, has been brilliant, but from a moral point of view, absolutely corrupt. We'll be back on nightside if you'd like to join the conversation from whatever point of view. Six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty and triple eight nine to nine, ten thirty were back on night side with my friend Jeff Robins, who has stood on the side. And by the way, you know, Jeff and I disagree on a lot of political things, but in this we are united, okay, as every American should be united. Never again. We are seeing the beginnings of something that we should that we should denounce immediately, immediately and forcefully. And unfortunately many people are quiet. They are they are averting their stay or they were averting their eyes, and they are nonetheless contributing to what could be could be a holocaust, even worse, if it's possible, then what happened because there were six million Jewish people who were killed by Hitler Germany and his henchmen. This is a group of people who want to eradicate a nation, a nation because they happen to be Jewish. Back on Nightside after.
Speaker 3: This, Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World.
Speaker 2: Night Side Studios on w b Z the news Radio, back with Jeff Ross Robins. He used to work with a guy named Jeff Ross for a long time ago. I was the news director of w BZ TV. But this is Jeff Robins, Boston attorney with Mince Levin, former head of the Anti Defamation League here in New England, a journalist and a student of Israel. He also teaches courses in in different colleges, so at least one of which I know of which need not be mentioned, but it's an Avy League college. So we'll leave it right like that. Let's go. We're talking about We're going to talk about Israel and about what may be happening in American college campuses in the weeks in this next week ahead. They have said what they want to do, and generally, when these radical groups say what they want to do, they do exactly that Davis in San Antonio, Texas. Dave, you first, this hour and nightsager.
Speaker 4: Right ahead, Oh god, how you doing. You know, I'm half Jewish, half black, and my father, my grandfather, when he was over in this country, he parked his car in front of a railroad car and left the home note let the note home saying I'm worthboard Dad alive because are the persecution that he suffered at that time. I think that you got to you got to stop talking giving those kids the attention that they're getting. Society should metaphorically put a privacy sensor around that school, keep their kids from going to that school, elect officials that will limited export exchange students from attending that school, and teach them a financial lesson.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just not one school, Dave, Dave, it's just not one school. This was on campuses across the country. Uh you know from M I T.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your your your ivy league and your elite thing, your elite ones were ones where all the rich people are there, not the majority. It's smart majority.
Speaker 2: Let's have a conversation. Okay, okay, all right, it is. There were campuses all over the country. Okay, including you're far from the majority. Okay, you know what, Dave, let me step aside. Let's let mister Robbins respond to you and see if you can control yourself and agent a conversation with him, because you're not able to gauge your conversation with me. Go ahead, Jeff, good luck.
Speaker 3: Well, Dan's obviously right, this is non isolated instance. It kind of took on a wave across certain college campuses. You're right that it wasn't all college campuses, but it's it's it's kind of difficult to ignore something as profound as what occurred. I think Dan is right, you know, to the to the ninth power here, it is morally depraved to celebrate the slaughter of civilians. It is morally I guess my point is that, Dave, do me a favor.
Speaker 2: You can interrupt me, but if you interrupt the guests, you're going to walk the plank. So just listen to what Jeff has to say and then comment. It's called a conversation. You're going to enjoy it. Go ahead, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I understand the hope that you can kind of ignore this and not pay attention to it, would that it were so. I think the point is that it's so profoundly morally depraved. It reflects so badly on our campuses and on certain segments of our society, on basic decency, that it's just very tough to ignore it, tough to the point of impossible.
Speaker 4: I think, I agree with you, but you don't have any law enforcement in this country that's going to do anything to make them people regret what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know, you raise generally.
Speaker 2: Jed Dave. He was starting to formulate.
Speaker 4: Okay, wow, I haven't finished yet.
Speaker 3: A couple of things. A couple of things. I mean, there is you know, beyond law enforcement. You can't apply law enforcement to loathsome views. The more fundamental problem is the loathsomeness of the views, the ignorance. I mean, I've said often that I don't think a lot of these students can tell you the difference between the Gaza strip and the Louisiana purchase. So you've got an ignorance problem. But as Dan points out, people have really been gulled into a kind of moral witlessness that's really problematic, too problematic, I agree with Dan, way too problematic to ignore. You can't it's not a law enforcement problem. Really fundamentally it's a problem much deeper than that.
Speaker 2: They're almost like useful idiots in the sense that they apparently know nothing of history. They know nothing of World War two and the events leading up to World War two. They know nothing about the founding of the state of Israel. They know nothing of what happened actually happened on October seventh. But they're out there in the streets. So I don't know, Dave. Let me give you in this conversation, final work. Go right ahead.
Speaker 4: I remember a conversation on DAAN that Morgan Freeman was having with one of the prominent host hosts there, and at the end of the conversation, the host said to him, what do we do about all this racism here in this country? And Morgan looked at him and said, stop talking about him.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dave, thank you very much for you call. Appreciate your call. Maybe what we'll do is we'll stop talking about it. I won't stop talking about it, but Dave is welcome to stop talking about it as well. Jeff, I don't think that's the answer to stop talking about it, because if you ignore it, just like any sort of a cancer, if you ignore it, it's only going to metastasize further.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fanciful to hope you can ignore it. It's it's way too entit and cancer, truthfully, is a pretty good analogy. You just got this kind of you know, it's it's cool to celebrate the slaughter of people. It's okay to embrace that, to celebrate it, to you know, to advocate for it, to embrace it, to whitewash it for that's too fundamental problems to ignore.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid, Jeff, I've never asked you this question before, and I'll be really interested in what you how you answered, not only as my friend, but also as a First Amendment scholar. I believe that the horrors that were inflicted on those innocent civilians last October seventh has never been shown to the American people. It almost it gets sanitized. I'm sure you have seen some of the videotape that were taken by that that was taken by the terrorist and made available. For some reason, the folks who have run network newscasts have said, we don't want to show this in its full horror to the American people, and I understand that, But have we got to the point where we need to kind of show people to get their attention and maybe to make them truly understand how horrific, how horror to think that that morning was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right. I just think, like I know you do, that the moral failure, the moral frivolity of this segment of the American left, to the American purported left, it's so troublesome, it's so dangerous that you have to try something to crack, you know, the conscience of the you know, let's face it, the TikTok generation. And therefore we're not left with anything, I think, other than to try to show them what it is that occurred, what was deliberately carried out, planned for months, if not years, and that which these particular individuals on campuses or elsewhere on the left, on the so called progressive side of things, which is a phrase I can't understand in this context, to try to crack the consciousness so basically people understand, this is what they're getting behind when they say they're exhilarated, when they say harmas is us, when they say we are harmas, that's what they're getting behind.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, exactly, and I don't know if there's going to be a network. I mean, the network could put up, hey, folks, get the kids out of the room, or whatever they want. We're going to show this in its full horror so you understand what we're dealing with. I think that, for example, the American people turned against the Vietnam War because the networks showed what was going on in Vietnam. If they had sanitized that, the war would have gone on longer. There would have been more Americans who would have died. I just think that sometimes you have to basically say it as it is, tell it as it is, and maybe even show it as it is. And we'll take a break. We've got a newscast coming up, and we get back. We'll get to more phone calls. I'd love to have some of you respond to that. I think that I really think that is necessary. It's one thing to say, oh, children will be headed and women were raped and grandparents were shot and killed in front of the grandchildren. It's something quite else to show it, to show it and it's all it's horror. You can use it so that the faces are not shown. Okay, you can do some editing. I know that you can do that. Back on Nightside, right after this if you're on the night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio, Oh, we will be continuing that conversation. Jeff Robbins Boston Herald, a syndicated columnist, also a lawyer of First Amendment lawyer with a mince Levin here in Boston, very powerful law firm. Join the conversation, and if you disagree with what we're saying, and I'd love to find out here from some of you. I think the American public is able to We should have been shown what actually happened, and we got a sanitize version. We got verbal descriptions that that children were slaughtered in homes and that people were hand grenades were thrown into you know, it was like very personal killing. So I'll be interesting if people agree with that or not. As I said, Jeff, I think it can be sanitized to the point we don't have to show the image of the person's face, but to show somebody, you know, on the ground who has lost a limb. I think the horror of this, we think about this as like what we see on television. You know, the bad guy gets shot and he falls over, and we know that's not real. I don't know if we can differentiate as a country anymore the amount of slaughter that we see in the movies and on television with what is actual slaughtered. Does that? Am I making any sense to you on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much so. And you're harkening back to the images of Vietnam and the depth in Vietnam and the effect, for example, the coverage of the tet offensive nineteen sixty eight had on America is a very apt analogy. I think you're right that words like blowing apart and raping and kidnapping and limbs and all the rest of it, it does not do justice to what occurred. And you know, I think that helps sort of facilitate a kind of a coldness on the part of some people about what happened on October seventh. And by the way, let's not forget what happened on October seventh was calculated not just the slaughter Israelis, but to lead immediately to the deaths of Palestinian civilians, thousands of them. This is the responsibility of Hamas.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Without without the terror attack, there would have never been in need for Israel to go in and literally root out the terrorists from underneath hospital buildings and schools in Gaza. Let's keep rolling. It's also the context. I mean, you hear about a firefight between or a shootout and you realize, okay, the police ended up killing someone or a police officer was shot. Horrible. But this was people who were in their beds in the morning, at six point thirty in the morning, who were welcomed by people with automatic weapons just spraying bullets inside their homes and killing randomly. It's and these they were American college students marching in the streets supporting this looks Next up Davis in New Hampshire. Dave, welcome next on Nights you're all with Jeff Robins. Go right ahead, Dave.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mister Robin's question, so, if you're so focused on Israel's right to self dessense, what have you done to raise concerns about the Israeli governments attack on their own people's ability to defend themselves. My understanding is it Tel Aviv restricts gun ownership at limits am opens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we lost him, Jeff. We did not hang up on him, and I think he is a a gun advocate and he was trying to basically turn this conversation away from what we're talking about. So the radio gods, I think did us a favor on that one. Let's go next to Gary, that's true, and we did not. He somehow disconnected himself. Let me go to Gary in New Jersey. Gary, you were next on nights. I appreciate you calling in the right ahead. Gary.
Speaker 5: Well, I wasn't gonna call because it is the holiday and everything, but I did turn you on to listen. And what you said is, you know, near and dear to me.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 5: No one believed the Holocaust till they saw those films, all those they thought they were rumors. It couldn't be. But that's just one small part. I had once the other day at jw V the Jewish War veterans that we were eating, and naturally we solved everything by the time dessert was there.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course.
Speaker 5: And the thing is, and this was to a man, and you know a lot of us have retired law enforcement, all most of the old guys now like may Vietnam veterans. And one of the things we said is that this generation and Jews that's happening to him in school, none of this is ever going to get fixed by talking. The only thing a bully really understands is forced and unless these kids organize themselves and start really fighting back. Once that happens, bullies like to fight with people who won't do anything. Once they start fighting back and doing something, a lot of this is going to dissipate. And I don't only say this.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see what you've got to cut you. You know that. I guess what you're sort of suggesting is something the equivalent to a collegiate Jewish defense league.
Speaker 5: I think, well, what I'm suggesting is I grew up in a tough neighborhood, and at that time, you know, about my age, things were more divided among religious lines than racial. Sometimes you had to go to another neighborhood and you went with a couple of guys and you did what you had to do. No one got killed. But after that, none of that happened anymore on either side, and until these people realized that they're going to get an ass whip and they're going to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're talking about what we lawyers refer to as self help. Jeff respond to suggestions, good luck, Well, let me.
Speaker 3: In this way, not directly, but Here's what you've said makes me think of we started talking about Students for Justice in Palestine, which is really an intimidation based organiz It's been hugely successful scaring the be Jesus out of people on campuses. And I think that what last year did teach us, and I agree with you about this, is that there's got to be a new sort of surge of courage on the part of people, Jews, non Jews, whatever, faculty, students to confront this. And I'm not talking about violently. I'm talking about to challenge this nonsense, to say we stand against this, we don't buy this, it's not working, and stop the intimidation that has to happen on campuses. If we're going to roll this back, by the way I think it can happen, I get a vague sense that maybe there's a little bit of pushback going on on certain campuses. Now. You know, faculty votes for investment don't get the same number of votes they did before. The Boston Globe, which is astonishing to me up here did an editorial today against the Boycotten devestment and sanctions movement, So maybe there's some pushback. So I agree with you to this extent, those bullies, and I count students for Justice in Palestine so called as bullies. Classic bullies have to be challenged and confronted. If that doesn't happen, then we're not going to see and end to this anytime soon.
Speaker 5: I totally agree with you. But you know, one of the things that I see is a lot of the parents of students that had nothing to do with this. You know, they're not taking these kids out of these colleges. I mean, I have no idea what it costs to sense someone to yell at Harvey, but I'm sure it's a good.
Speaker 2: Buck if you're including room and board as well as tuition. Yeah, so I.
Speaker 5: Would say if I'm spending that kind of money, I would have to be going, what the hell are you letting go on here? I want my kid to get it. You know, someone who has nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: Trying one of them for preach your contract carry out. They got a lot of lawyers. Okay, I know what you're saying, but do you want to take your kid out once? Once your child's been your son or daughter's been accepted to.
Speaker 5: A you know, well, I know once universe, I would have to I would have to get I would have to say and go see someone saying, I'm giving you eighty ninety brand a year. I want my kid to get the education what paying for. And I think more parents did that, you know. And I like to see when the sponsors or I guess donors to these university and I say a lot of that.
Speaker 2: A lot of that happened last year, and we need to see more of it. That's the sort of uh yeah, I totally agree with that. Gary is always thank you so much for rasing in New Jersey.
Speaker 5: Good good new year to everybody, and let's hope this crap gets squared away and.
Speaker 2: A good new year to you and your family as well.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Garrett.
Speaker 2: Good take quick break. Jeff Robbins as my guest. We will continue our conversation right after this. Now back to Dan live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 6: All right, back to the calls. You go, got full lines, try to get everyone in here. Let me go next to Carol in Halifax. Carol you in next on night Side. Thank you for calling in and uh I love to hear what you have to say to Jeff Robins.
Speaker 7: Go right ahead, Carol, Hi, Hi Dan, thanks for taking my call. I are you in Halifax?
Speaker 2: Are you in Halifax, Massachusetts and Nova Scotia?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah, Massachusetts?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, good? Correct? I correct, want to correct myself. Go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Something you said earlier struck a cold of me about showing the films, the actual video of the attack. I can I can recall ninth grade my history teacher bringing in black and white films from the Holocaust and showing it to the class and and what a wake up call that was and realize and realize and the horrors that can be done to other humans by humans. And I agree with you that too much sanitation is going on. They really need to, uh, you know, make people aware of the horrors of what happened there and that how it should never happen again. You know, It's just.
Speaker 2: I mean, I watched tonight or one of the evening newscasts.
Speaker 8: There was a gentleman who was beaten to death by three Memphis, Tennessee police police officers, and that was shown in its full brutality from body camps.
Speaker 2: And you say, why was that shown? It was shown to show that these police officers literally lost control of themselves. They like rapid dogs. And this man was on the ground, he was helpless, and the beating continued. And I think it's important for other police officer to say, you know, do you have want to be portrayed in this situation. This is not a police officer, was struggling with someone over gun and the gun fired, and so this was a man who was beaten to death by these or at least they were convicted by the way today in court. And I just think that this, uh, sometimes you have you know, everything doesn't have to be sanitized anymore. Yeah, in my opinion, Jeff quick comment and what Carol of Halifax had to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another example of what both of you have said is the is the coverage of the beating of black civil rights workers and marchers in the nineteen sixties, the impact that that had on American public opinion. Another example of exactly what you guys are saying.
Speaker 2: Carol, Thank you. Have you called before? This is your first time?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I have called before.
Speaker 4: Call.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love you, call, thank you. Let me go to Betty on the boat. Betty on the boat in Boston. Harvey, you're on with Jeff Robins Betty, go right ahead.
Speaker 9: How are you tonight, sir?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you.
Speaker 9: I believe in all honesty that we should not sanitize any news that's going on in the world because it's a misrepresentation of the fact. Emerson said in one of his essays on nature. Words are a sign of natural fact, and if you're going to sanitize some news, it's not fair to the American public. I remember as a child going to the movies with my mother. I was four or five years old. We were going to see God's Ziah and before the movie, they had a newsreel showing planes taking off from the ships. They showed bombs being dropped, and then they never sanitized the news. This is something that became vogue over the past couple of decades. It isn't right, it isn't fair. You're not getting the true story, so you can't and they make an informed decision.
Speaker 2: We both agree. I think with your Betty on that, Betty, I would I would like I know that you are are a fixture in Boston and you're a great caller to this show. We're going to start tonight, and this is a little off topic, but since you're here, this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, as I'm sure you know, in October, and in conjunction with our friends of college Hype, we're going to give away a lot of Nightside T shirts, pink Nightside T shirts, and I would love to you have to be the first one that we send one to. So if you would leave your address now, we want like medium large, maybe extra large, whatever. If you leave an address right and said that.
Speaker 5: You we will get one to you with the next thank you.
Speaker 9: But the other thing is is that there was a study done by the International Society of Traumas called ITS and it involved the effects of trauma such as the Holocaust. And one of my associates, let me call him, that is a member of IT'S, and that there's a doctor by the name of doctor Daniel Baron, and he was in Israel and he was kind of he was the authority on international generation trauma. And he went and he found Hitler's godson living in Detroit, and they went and they talked to him and he became part of a study and they ultimately found that there was forgiveness between the generations of Holocaust victims and that the man had lambs in his house with strange pots. He never understood that they were body pots from the Holocaust, and he got rid of them. But yeah, I'd be honored to have a one of your T shirts and I'd wear it with pride.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Betty, you stay there. Give that information. I'm running out of time here, so I got to say good night to you.
Speaker 9: I can hear you, and you take care you.
Speaker 2: Stay, don't hang up. Give the information that Rob will need. Jeff, We're we're flat out of time. I'm going to ask the callers who are on the line to stay and we'll continue this conversation until the next hour. But let me give you a final words, Jeff. What can people do? I mean, I think they can write letters. They can call the universities. They can they can encourage the universities, amongst other things, to do the right thing and maintain order to keep classes open. Anything else you want to that you would.
Speaker 3: Suggest, Well, generally, the effort to intimidate people on this issue extends to school committee meetings and town halls and PTA meetings and classrooms and all the rest of it. Wherever people meet, we used to call the water cooler. And so I think what people need to do is to not stay silent, but to speak up and to serve. Notice that you know, when this kind of slaughter, when this kind of genocidal attack, when this kind of virulent anti Semitism gets raised, that it's going to be met with a challenge. And I think that's the best thing that people can do, and it's an important thing, and frankly, you do it on a constant basis, and so we all owe you, Dan Ray a great debt of gratitude.
Speaker 2: It seems to me, well, if I didn't utilize this microphone for that cause, I would be remiss in my responsibilities. I feel strongly about it, and I appreciate having people like you who are allies on this. And again, i'm sure that you're going to be writing something about this next Tuesday if I had to, If I had.
Speaker 3: To bet, you're absolutely right. And thank you so much again, Dan, Thanks Jeff.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon. For those of you in the line, please stay there. Russell, Richard, and Doug. The only lines that are open are two and three, which is six one seven two five four ten thirty six one seven, two five four ten thirty. I'd like to continue this conversations as the hour continues, and I just think it's important. I really think it's important. And let's let's get ahead of this, and let's not sit next week and be surprised that college campuses have erupted again, because I believe they will erupt if we say nothing, and hopefully even our conversation about it might tamp it down a little bit. So stay there, back on Night's side. Right after the eleven o'clock news