Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games.
Speaker 1: Taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life.
Speaker 2: We saw your depends on how much you want, and now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 1: Dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode. As you know, we have one goal here on the Auction Brief, and that is to help all of you win more titles. And one of the ways that we do that is by bringing the best and brightest minds in the fantasy community on here from my weekly disc Dicussions with Drew. These conversations are there to help you with the most difficult fantasy situations you're going to face in your drafts this summer. Let's not delay. Let's get right to this week's guest on another installment of Discussions with Drew.
Speaker 3: Time for Discussions with Drew, in depth conversations with the brightest minds in the fantasy industry.
Speaker 2: Welcome into this week's Discussions with Drew. Our guest this week is Brian Drake from Fantasy Points and just happens to also be one of my best friends. But let's not go short on the introduction here, because Drake is the jack of all trades. He is a Fantasy Points writer, podcaster. He does a good pod with John Hansen, the Guru himself. He's also a Serious XM host and most importantly, an FSWA Award winner for Article of the Year. This guy is everywhere, He does everything, and I tell you what, he always pulls me along for the rides. So the duo is coming soon to Serious XM airwaves everywhere. Thanks for being here, man.
Speaker 1: You got it and always glad to be on the auction brief And I think I'm tying Marcus Grant now for the most appearances. I'm coming for him. I listened to that show. It was very well done. But yeah, dude, by the time this show drops will be inside of two weeks from our debut episode on Serious XM Sundays three to five in the off season or draft season as we want to call it, and then during the year you can catch Drew and I on Fantasy Points game day from seven to nine pm Eastern, so there's still gonna be that late window going on. We'll be able to talk about and everything else that's going on around fantasy football for that day. So that's super exciting. I'm fired up to get that going here. My gosh, that'll be here before you know. I have a nine mile road race earlier that day before our first show.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's no sweat for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Utica boiler Maker.
Speaker 1: It's actually a really big road race kind of on the East coast here that people might know about. But yeah, I'll be doing that and then drinking a beer or two and then coming back home and we're getting out of the air.
Speaker 2: So that'll be a great time. Nothing different, sounds awesome. So during the season, it's what hours during the season three.
Speaker 4: To During the season, we are on the air seven to nine.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was thinking it was six to eight.
Speaker 4: So you're right. I think it is six to eight.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I don't want to take you wrong. Okay, all right, See he's on the air too much, he does. He's got all his shows get mixed up. So I tell you what, I've positioned myself here in the basement so that when we're on the air in season, I've still got my five TVs here over my shoulder here so I can see what's going on. We can recap all the day's action. I'm so stoked for all of that to get started, and again can't say thank you enough. But I'll stop now on all that stuff. What else has been going on with you?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: What other content are you creating? And where can people find your stuff?
Speaker 1: So mainly right now I'm doing the Fantasy Points podcast with John Hanson that drops twice a week wherever you get your podcast, and then you know you and I will be on serious. I'll be writing an article this year as I always do the Defensive Streamer article at Fantasy Points, and also doing work at The Huddle with our friend Doug Orth, which is great. I used a lot of the stuff I did for The Huddle last year to get nominated for Football Writer of the Year by the FSWA.
Speaker 4: And we'll see whatever else can come along.
Speaker 1: I always try to pick up an extra gig or two, but it's tough grinding this content out here. Man, There's only so much time in the day, and like you, I've got two young children. My son's fourteen, my daughter's eleven. So I remember last year, almost every no other of the week, I'm writing or producing some sort of fantasy content. And it's you know, let's not cry ourselves a river here. I mean, it's not like we're digging a ditch. But it's time consuming to do all this, to write something, to record something, and to have a fresh take on it. So yeah, that's what we're up to this year at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that it's under estimated what the creative process takes because it's not just sitting down, bang, knock it out and throw it up there. There's editing that goes along with it, and there's the creative process that has to of course be there in the first place. And I really struggled the last couple of weeks with the creative process. And so I'm back into what I believe is peak draft season mode. And that's where we're going to take you today because I know that the Auction Brief episode with Brian Drake is one of my most listened to episodes every single year, bar none, and I think it's partially because you and I. The banter that we have is born from a lot of years of fantasy football. How long you been playing fantasy football?
Speaker 4: Oh, jeez, I would imagine over twenty years at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I you know, I'd started when I was in law school, late nineties, early two thousands, So between us, we've got fifty years a fantasy football experience. And believe me, I love the innovations to fantasy football these days, with yards per rout run and the efficiency metrics about success rate and war and all that stuff. I love all of these metrics. I think innovation is great. But when it really comes down to it, and we're sitting in the draft room, a lot of times it just takes some common sense. And I think that's why people like the show that me and you do, because we're the kings of common sense here, aren't we.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think we've just spawned a tagline for the serious XM show there.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get that and cut into a promo. But yeah, And I was talking to some guys yesterday. I jumped on, I'm like in this home radio league where these listeners can join our league. And we did the draft reveal this week, so I joined the podcast and I said listen, there's a lot of ways to win a fantasy league. Does it help you to draft good players? Of course, but there's a lot of luck involved, and like you said, with common sense and we'll talk about it today.
Speaker 4: With some of these players, it's.
Speaker 1: Avoiding landmines, avoiding bad teams, bad quarterbacks, bad play callers. Like I think there's an article I want to write this summer where I'm gonna say, like, if you just want to draft a team of guys from like the McVeigh, Shanahan Kubiak tree, Like what would that look like? Round by round? Even if you gotta like jump eightyp and say I'm only drafting guys who are coached by guys from this tree, and like, what would your team look like? It might be an interesting exercise.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see if I can find enough time between high noons to bang it out.
Speaker 2: Well. Surfsiders for me these days, I don't know. You're the one who got me into surfsiders.
Speaker 4: I had some of those yesterday in the pool.
Speaker 2: Now, what's your favorite kind the serf sider?
Speaker 4: I like just straight up regular lemonade.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I like the half and half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hate iced tea.
Speaker 2: I'm not an iced team at all.
Speaker 4: At least he's the worst.
Speaker 1: Iced tea sucks. Watermelon sucks. My kids are upstairs right now there. It's ninety degrees out here in central New York where I live, and they're.
Speaker 4: Oh, Dad, yeah, we're cutting up a watermelon.
Speaker 1: Ba. I would rather lick a rock than eat watermelon. Watermelon's the worst lick.
Speaker 2: It's my kids freaking love what we bring home a watermelon. That thing's gone in a day. Yeah, it's just it's absurd that it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but pineappleons. That's pineappleons where it's at. And then there's these new things out also made by surf Side.
Speaker 4: They're called sports Light.
Speaker 1: I'm not not that they're a sponsor of the show, but they're like basically alcoholic gatorade. I think they're about super light, to be honest, I'll bring some of the expo and dude, they're dangerous.
Speaker 4: You could drink forty of these.
Speaker 1: Things and you're getting electro lights while you drink, so kind of rehydrate anti you know. So it's it's interesting, but yeah, that's I don't know. I've just kind of gotten off the beer kick, even though I love IPA's they're too heavy, and you know, I'm running a ton these days, so I don't want to kind of just get way down with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, look, we could talk about alcohol, we can talk about all the stuff we could screw around other episodes popular, but let's talk fantasy football. And I'm trying my best to get people out under an hour. I'm shooting for forty five, but I'm trying to get out under an hour because I want people to be able to consume the show and small bites, and that's important these days. So we got a couple of different topics today. We're gonna play a little game of this or that where I'm gonna give you some choices and you can tell me what you like. But before we do that, one of my favorite things to ask the guests that I have on the show is something that you've learned from twenty twenty five, because everyone's always got a different perspective, and I really enjoy smart people giving me the perspective on what they learned last year. So what did you take out of twenty twenty five you want to use this year?
Speaker 1: And this came from my home league. This didn't come from playing in the King's Classic or playing in expert Leagues or best Ball or anything. This really just came from playing with my twelve buddies, and it's a lesson that should be very obvious. But in today's day and age and where ADP is headed, I think we need to really dive headfirst into it, and it's leaning into pass catching running backs more than ever, so Drew. Last year, I did the little research here. Yes, imagine that I did some research. Fifteen running backs saw at least fifty targets last year, all but one of them that was Taja Spears average at least twelve PPR points per game. So listen, not everyone's going to get a chance to draft CMC or Bejon or Gibbs. You got to be in the top half of your draft. But you can get your hands on guys like you know, Travis etn Javonte Williams, Kyrone Williams, Chase Brown, hell, even Kenny Gainwell. To me, those guys are so much more valuable than especially in a PPR like a Jacori Krossky. Merit of the world was like a between the twenty grinder, and there's a lot of guys who didn't even get to that fifty target number laslast year.
Speaker 4: Who I think ken this year?
Speaker 1: You know, look at a guy like Camp Scattabo, Rashad White, Breis Hall who surprisingly didn't get there. So with all these running backs flying off the board, drew thirteen of the top twenty four picks by adp in redraft that I just looked at earlier today, thirteen of the top twenty four picks are running backs.
Speaker 4: So if you're waiting till the middle rounds.
Speaker 1: It's completely dried up and God knows what you're going to get at that point. So get in the running back business fairly early. Focus on the guys who catch passes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pendulum has certainly swung back to the running backs in the first two rounds. People are more nervous. And I talked about this with maybe it was rich Reebar a couple of weeks ago about there's just very few alpha receivers that are commanding that thirty percent plus target share, So instead people are swinging back to the running backs, and certainly the ones that are catching passes. So I like the first lesson out of the gate, and what we're going to do today with Drake is we're going to play our little game of this or that, and this is going to be of course, you know, when I sell us as the common sense guys, it doesn't mean that we don't have numbers, so that we don't like to look at numbers. But it's just that when it comes down to it, we know that when we get in a draft room and when we go to set our lineups on Sundays, there are certain things that matter that sometimes those numbers don't tell us about. But let's do Let's try to hit both sides of this. Okay, We're going to go right out of the gate with the quagmire in Pittsburgh. It seems that nobody cares whatsoever about the Pittsburgh Steelers offense for fantasy football. I don't blame them, but there's going to be some value here. Aaron Rodgers is QB twenty eight. I think that's weird. Like I'm not a Rogers guy whatsoever, but QB twenty eight feels just completely odd. At running back. I want to ask you your first this or that question. We've got Rico Dowdell and Jalen Warren there. Now. They signed Dowdell. He's going off the board as RB thirty two and Jalen Warren's RB twenty eight. The market telling us they don't care about either one, and Jalen Warren only slightly more. But you know, both guys can be drafted as RB thre's. It feels like at least one of these guys is miss priced. Let me ask you in each of these this or that, I want to ask you, first of all, who do you want straight up? And then I want to ask you who do you want with ADP, so roll that into your answer, if you would, Rico or Jalen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, last year, my guy uncle Rico had three weeks where he finishes either the overall RB one or RB two on the week. But those are like huge volume weeks, right, He had minimally twenty six touches in those games. He's a guy who needs a ton of volume to come through, and I just don't know if he's gonna get that this year, splitting time with Jalen Warren, so I think inevitably, whoever's gonna come out of his backfield is whoever's gonna stay healthy. But Rico does reunite with Mike McCarthy, who oversaw his twenty twenty four RB twenty three finish. So Rico this is the guy, though, who can play on all three downs. Like we said, I don't know if he's necessarily gonna get that in Pittsburgh, but it comes down to who Aaron Rodgers trust next to him. And Jalen Warren is not a tough runner. He's not great at really anything. To me, he's more of a change of pace back. I thought he wore down last year. Kenny Gainwell surpassed him down the stretch. You know, Tyler Warren and Tyler Warren Jesus, Jalen Warren didn't play more than fifty percent of the snaps in any game.
Speaker 4: After Week twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you got Rico, who I think is going to get the goal line work, and as the season goes on, it is going to show that he is a very competent pass catcher out there. Over the course of the season, I think Aaron Rodgers is going to see that and enjoy that. And with the history with McCarthy, I'm leaning in uncle Rico here.
Speaker 4: They brought him in. He's very capable in being a three down back. So I just I don't know. I don't. I think Jalen.
Speaker 1: Warren was miscast last year as someone who we're gonna make him a feature back. I think that was a mistake, and part of that is they whiffed on Caleb Johnson on Iowa in the draft, who they thought was going to come in to be their Naji Herrit. Yes, so maybe Rico dwald will comes in and he is their Naji Harris again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it sounds like it's pretty easy for you. It's Rico in a vacuum, and he's the cheaper running back, so obviously it's Rico at his price. I think this is great. This is why I have smart people on the show, because it challenges my worldview. And I've just been thinking that Warren is a little bit too cheap because he's going to slide back into the pass catching role that sort of got stolen from him by gain Wall at the end of the year. But I think you make an excellent point that he wore down a little bit and the Steelers realized they needed to get him off the field more, and so hence Rico Dowdell. I still believe to your first point that opened the show, that we could see forty five to fifty catches though from Warren, So I like that aspect as well, But I think, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as cheap options, I'm not mad at either one on my team, like a start either guy.
Speaker 4: No, But if you're in a deep league that's gonna.
Speaker 1: Have a lot of flex spots to start, like, you don't want either of these guys?
Speaker 2: Are kings classic cough cough, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But we play in a league where it's a fourteen team league that starts two running backs and then an additional three flexes. Rico and Jalen Warren are going to start at flex every week in that league every week.
Speaker 2: You're excited to have those guys at flex every week.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move on to the wide receivers. They are also stuck where nobody cares about them. In fact, I think this is kind of funny because DK Metcalf, a former Fantasy Darling, is down there at wide receiver, and we've got Michael Pittman down at wide receiver forty one. So nobody cares about Rogers QB twenty eight, Metcalf wide receiver thirty five, Pittman wide receiver forty one. I would guess these guys are going to outperform their adp. It's a matter of how much do we care. So which guy do you want straight up and which guy do you want the price? The price really isn't that different at this point. Metcalf or Pittman.
Speaker 4: For me, it's Michael pitt Now.
Speaker 1: The reason behind that is Aaron Rodgers wants to get the ball out quickly. He's super old. He doesn't want to get hit. They're gonna play a ton of three wide sets. They just drafted a kid, Jeremy Bernard out of Alabama. They want to Makay Lemon. Eagles made sure that didn't happen. But here's some nuggets for you. Of all quarterbacks with one hundred attempts last year, Aaron Rodgers had the fastest time to throw. That's a stat from Fantasy Points data, at two point.
Speaker 4: Three eight seconds.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's getting the ball out short and he's getting out fast.
Speaker 4: His deep throw percentage everyone.
Speaker 1: Talking, oh, remember, well, Aaron Rodgers, all of these deep moon balls, blah blah blah. That ain't his game anymore. He was thirty fifth in the league at just nine point four percent of his deep throw percentage. So his six point two to a dot. Its average depth of target was only outdone by listening to these two gun slingers, Brady Cook and Dylan Gabriel. Okay, that's everybody who threw at least one hundred passes. So he's throwing short. These are gonna be quick routes. Michael Pittman last year, his a dout was eight point five in Indianapolis. DK Metcalf's ten point eight. Okay, now let's go dig a little deeper. Michael Pittman's best year in Indianapolis, he had over eleven hundred yards. His ad out was seven point nine. Dk Metcalf had his legit worst statistical season as a pro with Aaron Rodgers last year. He's never been a low aid dot player. He does not fit well with what Aaron Rodgers wants to do. So I like Pittman. I think he's a security blanket for Aaron Rodgers. And I think at wide receiver forty five is show whever's coming off board absolute steal.
Speaker 2: Football guys hasn't met forty one. But either way, he's a wide receiver four. That seems like an easy play. And again, in those deeper leagues, that's an easy play for the back of your roster. But even when you're going through and I'll slip a little auction plug in here, when you're going through the auctions and nobody cares about a guy like that, it's easy to make him your wide receiver six or seven for a couple bucks. And I just think he's gonna smash that.
Speaker 4: Michael Pitman's a good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really could. Yeah, And I totally agree with the analysis. It's hard to finish thirty fifth in deep throw percentage when there's thirty two quarterbacks in the league. We know how much turnover the risk, but it's hard to finish thirty fifth. So excellent poll there. Okay, let's move on from the Steelers moribund offense because I did a little bit of that last week. Let's talk about some more exciting players. How about Jeremiah Love in Arizona. This is kind of a rough situation because the thing I talked about with Marcus Grant was how bad their offensive line is. And I'm not sure they did a whole lot to make that better. But they bring in a coaching staff that clearly wants to run the ball. They signed Tyler Algier. They still have James Connor. They've got a three headed monster back there. They want to use it. Now. I expected Love to be a little bit higher in ADP, but right now he's RB thirteen. That seems somewhat palatable. But you're really got to still spend a mid to late second pick to make sure you get him. And there's four running backs after him that I could argue. I want more straight up, and they're going later. Let me ask you, let's do a lightning round quick, and then I'll let you roll out your love analysis. Okay, so lightning round Love or Breis Hall.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take every player over over Jeremiahave.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, so play the game. Damn it, you're not playing the game. Okay. So the four guys I was.
Speaker 4: Guys on bad teams. But I'll still lean Bruce Hall. I like to going back play.
Speaker 2: More, Okay, and then Kyen Williams, you want him over Love?
Speaker 1: No one is more disrespected Fantasy football year over year than Karen Williams.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love hearing that. Josh Jacobs.
Speaker 1: If you tell me, mister legal action here that he's going to play and not be suspended, like, yeah, absolutely, Josh Jacobs.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's the foundation of the offensive Green.
Speaker 2: Bay, yeah, for sure. And then we've got Travis HM, so I refuse to.
Speaker 4: Call on that.
Speaker 1: By the way, I will never call him Travis HN on any show we do together. It's Travis Etna until the end of time.
Speaker 2: All right. So you want all those guys over Love, which tells me he's miss priced right now, somebody out there likes him. What's your take on Love this year?
Speaker 1: Listen, He's not a bad team, okay, and this is a bad team with a lot of competition, So listen, we don't know what who the quarterback is going to be for the full season.
Speaker 4: They want to tank to get a quarterback in the draft.
Speaker 1: They know that this coaching staff probably isn't long for that world there anyways, and it's literally just kind of a punt season. So do they want to run this kid into the ground? That they're paying a ton of dope highest contract of any running back in football's Jeremiah Love. He makes more money than anybody, and that's which ridiculous. But besides the point, I've just seen this before. We did this with It's not the same position, but Marvin Harrison Junior same team. You can look back to a year ago with Ashton Genty, you know, running back going to a bad team. Like, we love what these guys did in college, but they're drafted high to garbage offenses. And I got a feeling jeremih love for as flashy as he was at Notre Dame, that will not tran to this horrific Arizona team. So give me, as I always say, give me good players on good teams with good play callers.
Speaker 4: I mean, does it get.
Speaker 1: Any better than Kyron I love the Green Bays offense, always productive.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 1: I got a man crush on Kevin Moore and this New Orleans offense. Okay, Listen, at the end of the day, I just don't want players on bad teams. And maybe the player I want the most of anybody here is Travis etn Okay, because they paid him twenty eight million guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Who knows we're gonna get for Elvin Kamara this year.
Speaker 1: They're gonna play with pace and they're gonna be one of the teams that runs the most plays. Last year, they were top twelve in total plays for a kind of crappy New Orleans team. The Saints averaged the fifth fewest rushing yards per game, and I think they went out and they got ETN because they want to drastically improve upon that. So any of these guys fall to me as my RB two, because you know I'm gonna be in the RB business early and often. In these drafts, I think, think you're really cooking with gas. If you take a running back in round one, you come back round to maybe three, get any of these guys.
Speaker 4: That's a really strong start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some of these guys, like you said, you can get them in round three, so you could even slide a receiver in round two and still really like your RB two. So okay, Yeah, I think we're on the same mind. On Love. I did an auction the other night where he went for thirty four bucks. I got him. I thought that was a little bit I was expecting him to go a little bit higher. It wasn't that necessarily got stuck. I just really wanted him to go in the upper thirties before I let him go. I ended up getting him for thirty four. Then I kind of looked back on that and I thought, you know, there's a lot better guys I could have had for a few bucks less. So I'm still of the mind that I agree with you on love and Hey, that's the common sense stuff that we're talking about when we talk about the years of fantasy experience. You mentioned Marvin Harrison, you mentioned Ashton Genty, these guys that go to these awful offenses. It's really hard for a rookie to perform in the NFL on a good offense, let alone these crap offenses with that offensive lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we love the shiny new toy. We love Oh, this is the new guy. I can't wait to get him. And I've done that in a lot of leagues where you want to look like the smartest guy in the room. I'm gonna take this kid that you guys have never really even heard of, and I'm gonna start him every week and.
Speaker 4: He's gonna crush you know what.
Speaker 1: Just take Kyron Williams, who we know is gonna be really good and is very boring. No one slaps the sticker on the board for Kyen Williams and it's like, yeah, Kyron Williams in round three. But you know what, Kien Williams always comes through. This is the year Blake Korum takes over the jot. No, it's not, it's not. It's gonna be Kien Williams again, just scoring ten touchdowns and running for twelve hundred yards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Drake doesn't even know it right now, but he's set me up for my Thursday solo show because we're gonna talk about Kyrien Williams because everyone knows I've got a little bit of a bias with him. But there's some interesting things we can know about him. But all right, let's move on because I got a couple more situations I want to hit, and then, of course my favorite thing that everyone loves. We're gonna hear some over and undervalued players that Drake's thinking about right now as we head into July. But let's talk about the Patriots backfield because it's one that we're going to talk about all summer long. And it's kind of interesting because Trevion Henderson is up to RB twenty one. You're really going to have to try to get him right around the end of the fifth round if you want him. And Vermandre Stevenson's at RB thirty one. He's the middle of the seventh round. So some of these previous questions I had for you didn't necessarily have that big of a gap. Now we've got a big gap. So I want to know which guy do you prefer in a vacuum, and then which guy do you prefer end of fifth or mid seventh.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the answer has got to be at the price got to be Remandre for me. I mean, you look last year and he didn't get a ton of touches on a team that threw the ball, I think more than anybody, which was the Patriots last year, last three weeks at a season week sixteen, seventeen eighteen. Okay, ween a matter for us in fantasy, but it is what it is. Ramandra finishes RB fifteen, RB five, and RB one.
Speaker 4: A lot of that had to.
Speaker 1: Do with some receiving touchdowns on that, but okay, that's fine. He still found the end zone a ton of times in the fantasy playoffs.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is.
Speaker 1: A situation where I mean, Trayvon Henderson, we know he's so good, we know he's a home run hitter. They tried to get him the ball a little bit more at the end of the season, but I mean, I think I'm just gonna take the cheaper option here, and I mean, I'm sure I could dive into this the numbers on these two guys, but it really is a coin flip. I just I kind of just pounded my head against the wall, and I, I don't know. They're both good players and they're both going to get the ball. It's not who's better than who. They're just both going to see the rock. They just are.
Speaker 4: They're not going to bench one guy for the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and let's let's be honest, that's not happening. And Travon Henderson really was not a guy that ever saw a fifty percent snapshare unless Evenson was on the sidelines hurt. So even after he fumbled, everyone said, here comes Henderson. Stevenson's fumbled twice. They didn't care. They didn't care. They kept going back to Stevenson. They trust him. It's the same thing as Kyrone Williams. They trust him. There's something that he's doing that they trust. They're going to continue to use him, and they paid him too.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Travion Henderson to your point, I'm looking at his snapshares right now. I mean down the stretch, even after their Week fourteen, by when you would think, oh maybe this is when they're gonna get the kid going. You know, he had a huge week fourteen carries for a buck forty eight and two touchdowns where he was the RB three. The next week he played nineteen percent of the snaps. You know, the following week he's fifty two percent of the snaps. It's just a case where they're going to give both guys the ball. So I know Bob Harris always loves this kind of talk, where you go, okay, I got two options, and whoever follows to me later, that's the guy I'm going to take. So I will be completely fine with Ramandre and doing some mock drafts. So far this year, I've gotten Remandre several times to fall to me.
Speaker 4: And if if he's your RB three, you can do a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of the most unsexy picks on the board, but also that's just how Fantasy championships are won sometimes because you go get your upside guys, but you need boring dudes who are gonna play, and it's gonna be a little bit frustrating and lineup setting leagues. But I think you just keep running them out there and he's gonna play, So okay, I think we're of one mind on the Patriots backfield. Let's talk about the Tampa Bay backfield. It's a little bit different than what I expected to see because I thought the Bucky Irving situation the end of last year seems to have clouded things up quite a bit for fantasy gamers. I mean, we're at the point where we just kind of don't know what the hell to think about Irving, not only because they're still talking about lingering shoulder problems in freaking June, and you know, and then they've signed Gainwell and Gainwell was very good for the Steelers last year, but has an RB thirty four price tag. That's pretty significant gap there. I'm assuming we like Bucky in a vacuum more than Gainwell, but with the price difference, what do you think.
Speaker 1: I'm Kenny Gainwell all day. Coaches love Kenny Gainwell, and you referenced the bad shoulder. He's still worrying about this shoulder. I think it cost him like seven games last year. And if he's still on the fence with it, what's that going to do? The coaches know he's got this bumped shoulder, you think they're going to put him out there fourth and one from the one yard line, not a chance. You got Gainwell, who's a very good goal line back, by the way, and you've got Shaan Tucker, so they gave Gainwell a bunch of money to come down there, very good blocker. We know we can do it all really good in the receiving game. So why would I want to put my chip on Bucky Irving who last year he really did become when he returned that between the twenties grinder who had almost no value for fantasy because Tucker was taking the goal line work and short yardage.
Speaker 4: And they still Rashad White back then.
Speaker 1: So I think you've got Rashad White's replacement and an upgrade in Kenny Gainwell, and Tucker's still there, who they he was a restricted free agent and who they brought back. So yeah, I'm glad to let somebody else draft Bucky Irvy this year.
Speaker 4: And if he proved me wrong, he prove me wrong. He's a small guy.
Speaker 1: He's not a big dude who's gonna go in there and bruise between the tackles.
Speaker 2: He's just not I think that what we saw at the end of his rookie year got us very excited and that's just not coming back. And so we just need to just relax that's not coming back and assess it for what it is. And you nailed it by saying, we've got Sean Tucker at the goal line, We've got Kenny Gainwell touching the ball on their down. What does that leave for Bucky Irving? It leaves a very uninspiring guy who maybe, you know, maybe hits two hundred carries, but he'll be lucky to cross, you know, four or five touchdowns twenty passes catch. So I just think that RB twenty feels crazy to me. I don't know how that's going to happen, but you know, maybe I'm wrong. And there are a couple guys every summer that I'm wildly wrong on and who knows.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of players that we'll talk about throughout the course of the summer. And it's okay, Well, he could lose touches to this guy, and it's kind of a two headed monster. If you're already talking about three guys in a backfield, forget about it, Like why even delve into those muddy waters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Gainwell costs you almost nothing. He's a bottom end RB three price, and again I'm throw another auction plug in here, but Gainwell is the kind of guy that you get for a couple bucks at the end of an auction that just helps you through bye weeks and injuries early in the season and just nobody cares about it. Nobody cares. Again, the unsexy pick sometimes are the ones that we want. So okay, let's go to the final situation here of this or that, and then I'm going to get you some under and over valued players. The Carolina backfield is I find fascinating this time of year because the steam on Jonathan Brooks is certainly happening. He's getting steamed up draft boards now. He is at RB thirty seven. I know that doesn't feel very high, but it is from a month ago, and Cuba Hubbard's at RB twenty seven. Now that tells me that nobody is again very sure about either guy. And I know that they're not ranked very high because we're still talking about a high end RB three and a high end RB four. So I get that we don't have to pay a lot for these guys. But are we believing the Jonathan Brooks hype and are we disrespecting Cuba Hubbard. I guess I don't really know what to think yet. I need to dive into this a little bit more. What do you have for us?
Speaker 1: This is a team that wants to play hide the quarterback. We know that Bryce Young stinks. They don't want him to drop back and throw the ball a ton, so they want to run the rock. Problem being with a guy like Chuba Hubbard, he kind of sucks. So we saw last year. You know, early in the season he had a couple of really good weeks to start off. Maybe he got banged up and he just never really recovered and he tried to rush himself back. So Uncle Rico got a bunch of touches there. But at the end of the day, Chewba Hubbard was really really bad last year.
Speaker 4: He's not a goal line back.
Speaker 1: In fact, he handled just ten percent of the Panthers carries inside the five last year.
Speaker 4: Brooks.
Speaker 1: When healthy, he's gonna take this job. It's just a matter of time. If he can stay healthy. He's more talented, you know, he is a good back out of the backfield. They listen, they drafted this guy for a reason. I don't think that they're over the moon about getting touches to Chewba Hubbard, who is extremely inefficient. Last year, I mean you look down the stretch, you know after their week fourteen by when he came back from gonna be a little banged up. Eight carries, six carries, four carries. They weren't looking to put the ball in his stomach and let him run wild with it. And I think they'll find just anybody who can take the load off of Bryce Young, and I think that guy's gonna be Jonathan Brooks. So maybe guys in your home leagues aren't as into Brooks or they're like, oh, this guy, you know, he's gonna die again and another injury is gonna fall him.
Speaker 4: And maybe it will.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I think Cuba just gave us the blueprint last year of like kind of who he really is.
Speaker 4: He had that great year two years.
Speaker 1: Ago and then he got paid. But I mean, Chuba Hubbard is a very replacement level running back who's out there. He's he's I think he's like a lower lower end Kenny Gainwell, like Kenny Gainwell.
Speaker 4: To me, he's a much better running back than Chewbahubbard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that I'm going to eat my own words here by saying some of the un sexy picks are what we need. I'm not sure Chewba Hubbard is one of those this year. I've always been a Cuba guy, but I'm just not sure that he's what we want because if Brooks works out, that's what they want. That's clearly what Carolina wants. And let me just say too, I've been reading some stuff on Twitter about his injuries, and number one, I love that he you know, he had a whole year off. And then also, the guy's fairly young. Still, he's pretty young, so I don't think that we need to worry about the fact that now he's a twenty eight year old coming off with two knee injuries. He's he's a young they want to use him. I think it's one of those things where, like you said, in your home leagues, they may not be clued in. I'm just a little concerned what kind of steam is going to happen in August once drafts start rolling. We're gonna see these ADPs converge and then eventually cross and certainly an expert league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he'll he'll go when we get out to Canton a month from now or so, uh, that will be the case. Jonathan Brooks will go off the board before Cheber Hubbard. Chewba Hubbard is It's two in the morning, you're at the bar. The lights come on and you realize, you know the person you've been talking to. You're like, oh Jesus, what have I been doing? How many Miller lights.
Speaker 4: Have I had?
Speaker 1: Like, all right, I'm gonna call me the uber, Like you had nothing to do with Chewa Hubbard at the.
Speaker 2: That's that's the analysis that you come to the auction brief for the uh.
Speaker 4: You're flirting with Chuba Hubbard like, well you.
Speaker 2: Knows that too many Pineapple high noons and Chewba Hubbards standing there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, he's got a big contract and he was good at one point, Like you could be good again. It's think you're talking to this your ex wife or somebody at the bar and you're like, you know what, it was good once back in you know, two thousand and four, it could be good again.
Speaker 4: No, it's not at all.
Speaker 2: He's got a big contract, you know what I'm saying. So all right, yeah, okay, well I think that again we're of one mind there, maybe we disagreed a little bit about the Steelers, but for the most part, we've lined up on what we were thinking here today. But my favorite part of the show is the beginning when I get to hear you know, your lessons from last year. But the audience's favorite part of the show is what we've come to now, and that is hearing what the analysts start thinking about some of the overvalued and undervalued players right now. When the show drops will be the day before July, so we're heading into that critical stretch that three weeks where everybody is breaking the law before we get into training camp. But ADP doesn't shift a whole lot between now in training camp. So what are a couple guys that you're thinking about. Let's start overvaluable the negative first will end on a positive note. A couple guys that you're thinking right now are just overvalued. You're not touching at their current ADP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I took a lot of guys here who are pretty high up the board, because that's that's what's sexy, that's what people are going to be debating when they're on the clock in the first two runs of the draft. First, guys, this is very simple for me. It's Devon ah Chan. It's a bad team, a horrible cast of characters around him. Last saw last year devon a chance saw it ten point one percent of his runs go for fifteen or more yards.
Speaker 4: That was second best in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Extrapolate that out, forty six percent of all his rushing yards came on explosive plays, again going over fifteen yards.
Speaker 4: So if you can look at a lot of advanced metrics and you.
Speaker 1: Could say, wow, eight Chan and Jimye or Gibbs are pretty much the same guy. You know, their numbers really add up. Here's the problem. A guy like Gibbs is on a great team. You know, good play caller, you know if it does. Dan Campbell's calling the plays at least, and I like the quarterback there, and the offensive line has been good in the past. We'll see now with a little shifting around, none of that is true in Miami. We've got a bad quarterback who is going to tuck and run and not dump off these little checkdowns, which is where Hn gets all of his value, and the line sucks.
Speaker 4: So this is a team.
Speaker 1: This is easily the least talented roster in the NFL. The Miami Dolphins, No question about it. They are playing to get a quarterback and get the number one overall pick. Why in the world am I going to spend a first end of the first early second round pick for the best player on the worst team in the league.
Speaker 4: I'm simply not doing it.
Speaker 2: I'm totally with you. Chan is just a button I cannot click. For all of those reasons you broke it down. I'm not gonna jumble things up any more than that. I just can't do it. I can't. It's and we have seen study after study that shows it is extremely difficult to be an RB one in fantasy football. When you play for a bottom three or bottom five offense. There just isn't enough scoring opportunities.
Speaker 1: How many players are how many times they're going to be in the red zone. Yeah, I got the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: With all of this.
Speaker 1: If Malik Willis just runs, you know, there's five plays in a game that maybe Tua would have checked down to a.
Speaker 4: Chanson't doing that.
Speaker 1: He's gonna just jet that's what he does, and then those are fantasy points you're not getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be extremely frustrating if you do end up with them on your team. Don't watch. That's been my tactic for a long time. There's certain guys that I will draft and never watch him. Ryan Tannehill, I think was the one who spawned that rule.
Speaker 1: Just Tim Tebow was great at that thoughts.
Speaker 4: That made dude.
Speaker 1: He had games where you would go to halftime with like negative points and then at the end of the game, like he would come out.
Speaker 2: You have seventeen because he'd run the ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'd run a ton. Oh my god, thank god. T Bow is the king of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great. Okay, so your first one devon a Chan, give me another one. That's uh, that's overvalued right now.
Speaker 4: Ken Walker super MVP.
Speaker 1: So this is the guy who last year in Seattle was really relegated to the between the twenties grinder role that I've talked about a few times today. Seattle did not want him on the field in passing downs or in goal line all right. Ken Walker last year only had twenty seven point six percent of Seattle's carries inside the five.
Speaker 4: That was forty eighth among all running backs.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until Charbonnay got hurt that he was forced into this full time role. And let's be honest, guy, did a great job, shined in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. I think he's a good player. I've drafted him a ton over the years, Drew, but guess what, every single time, he's screwed me over.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: If the lack of competition in Kansas City gives him longer lease he's gonna get more touches. But I can totally see bouncer ken Walker pissing off Andy Reid and then all of a sudden, they got a third down back in there who Mahomes likes a little more, and you know they're situationally using him here and there, and then ken Walker just becomes what we just mentioned between the twenties kind of grinder guy. He could get some goal line work, there's no doubt about it, but he hasn't in his career, and he hasn't been shown to be very good when he had the role. So I think ken Walker is extremely overvalued.
Speaker 2: I don't think that the Chiefs necessarily, I don't. I don't understand the steam I guess is what I'm trying to say here, because just because he goes to the Chiefs, that's not the same offense that we saw six years ago, so it isn't just all of a sudden plug and play top five guy. I'm a little bit surprised that he's gone up as much as he has. The name that we're hearing behind him is a Murray de Mercato, which is pretty interesting.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we may not see Walker as much as we want in third downs. I don't know if Emmitt Johnson's going to steal goal line looks from him or not. But one thing about Andy Reid is he throws the ball a ton inside the ten yard line. He loves to throw the ball. And now I don't know if that's a if there's a chicken or egg situation here where he was throwing because he didn't have a guy you could count on, and maybe that's gonna change. And who knows, we'll be sitting here next year talking about how we screwed this up and he had fourteen touchdowns. But they don't like to throw inside the ten So if that changes, it changes, and that's you know, that's a mistake I'm willing to live with. But Okay, that's a good couple of overvalue guys. Those are hot names in the top couple of rounds there?
Speaker 4: So do we bring the clickbait here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we're doing. We're clickbaiting. So okay, how about some undervalue guys? And that's where I'm gonna leave you for today. Give me somebody that you think is just going too low right now.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be doing my job as an Eagles homer if I didn't crow bar a Philadelphia Eagle in here. So how about Saquon Barkley a year ago? Barkley was a top five pick in draft. That's where you had to get him right now. He's a middle of the second round type player. So Philly's issues, and trust me, I watched every snap, folks. Their issues last year started with a horrific play caller in Kevin Bittulo, and their offensive line was decimated by injuries. Those injuries actually started. You can go back to the playoffs the year before in the super Bowl. Honestly, I actually watched the Super Bowl last night. I was sitting here in my house, like just eating like a pizza and having a beer, and I'm like, oh, there's nothing on. Let's put on the Super Bowl from two years ago. And they talked about Landon Dickerson you know the injuries that he's gone through, and you know, between center and guard, they've had a number of injuries. And last year you also missed time with Lane Johnson out. If those guys are healthy, you have anyone with half a brain calling the plays. Barkley is going to exceed expectations. So Sean Mannion's gonna have an offense drew with a lot of twelve personnel. They went out and they got themselves a blocking tight end as well. They're gonna run more motion. They were terrible at that last year. And Jalen Hurts is gonna be under center more. These are all things that are gonna bode well for Barkley, who was stuffed a ton when they were just literally doing shotgun draws to him, you know, off tackle and everyone knew it was coming. So Barkley is a guy I think people are gonna look at it and go man, Saquon Barkley is like a really good player, and what the hell nobody wanted him with the first twenty picks of the draft on a team that's probably going to win their division.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they still got a really good defense, which is always a great compliment to the running game. And I was talking about this believe it or not on my show last week, and I said, if Barkley had four more touchdowns last year. Now, I know, I know people are, oh, four, like that's a lot. I get it. But it's Saquon Barkley, and he had his opportunities last year that he didn't cash. So I think we're having a different conversation this year if he just punches in a couple more touchdowns. Because while he was a little bit quote unquote disappointing for what he had done the previous year, I do agree that with a strong defense and just marginally better play calling, I think we could see a different Barkley this year. All right, that's a good one to start. How about another guy that you considered to be an undervalued player right now?
Speaker 1: All right, and this is a guy who I still don't understand how his jersey is not hanging behind you in the studio. How about ray she Rice Baby middle of round three ADP.
Speaker 4: All Right, Yes, he's a knucklehead, we get that.
Speaker 1: But folks, when he's on the field, this guy's a PPR tsunami. Last year, in just eight games, he finished as a wide receiver one in five of them. His lowest target number in any of those games was seven. Look at the roster. Who the hell else they're throwing a ball to a You got Grandpa Kelsey, who himself might actually be a massive valued ADP.
Speaker 4: But the wide receiver group here is a joke. So Racie Rice went on.
Speaker 1: The field is a top five Fantasy wide receiver right now. You can get him as like wide receiver thirteen to fifteen, easy, easy undervalue for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right when he came back, they started throwing in the ball near the goal line too, like they had designed all these weird touches that were manufactured Andy Reid megabombs that were like, hey, we're gonna throw the ball to Rice in this weird way. And so yeah, I think the thing with Rice is, and this is what I said in the Patreon that I haven't said on the show or anywhere else yet. But if you're talking about Rashi Rice and you get into the middle of or end of August and you're having your draft and nothing else has happened, one of the things I've pointed out is that a lot of times when he gets in trouble, it's when he's got too much time on his hands in the off season. During the season, he's generally been staying out of trouble. And all you're asking in a redraft setting like we're talking about, is to make one hundred and twenty day bet. Can he stay out of trouble for one hundred and twenty days and we can worry about the rest later next offseason when he does something else done, but for one hundred and twenty days, if you can stay out of trouble, he is a value right now. That is one hundred percent for sure. Okay, well, hey, we've had a little bit of technical difficulties. I hope that doesn't come through on the show. I'm going to do some creative editing and I want to thank my guest Brian Drake for powering through that stuff today because it's taken a little bit of extra time. So hey, let me just close once more, and I'm going to stop saying it, I promise, but thank you again my friend for bringing me along to the Serious Show. I'm super excited about it. Thanks for all being a big supporter of mine. And tell everybody again where they can find you on Twitter and where they can find your podcast and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so check out the Fantasy Points podcast. Whenever you get your podcasts, just you know, search Fantasy Points podcast. You see a little cartoon face of the guru. That's how you know you're on the right one. On Twitter at Drake Fantasy, you can say hello to me over there, and I'll be out of the Fantasy Football Expo. If any of you guys are going out there, I'll be there Friday and yeah, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, I'll be drafting the Kings Classic, doing some radio shows, and drinking some adult beverages.
Speaker 4: So come say hello out there.
Speaker 2: Heck yeah, I can't wait for the expo. I finally am dragging one of my buddies out there. So my buddy Morgan, who's coming out. Let's be honest. He's coming to see the celebrities that are going to be there, not me, but hey, it'll be cool. He's a fun guy. You'll enjoy meeting him, and I'm sure he'll be hanging around with us most of the weekend. But I can't wait to be there. And you're gonna bring some surfsiders, right.
Speaker 4: The coolers already loaded.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest here, whatever, bring me those gatorade things. Man, what are those things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll bring that.
Speaker 1: I'm probably gonna crack but thirty seconds after we get off the show here, so I've got an hour break and then I record with the Guru for our show, so sneak one in between.
Speaker 2: All right, excellent, Well thank you again, mate, Yeah, thanks again for coming on the show, and thanks for being a huge supporter of the Auction Brief. You got brother, all right, mister Brian Drake at Drake Fantasy on Twitter, don't forget to go over and find his stuff and his excellent podcast with the Guru himself, John Hanson. That's going to do it for another week of discussions with Drew. All right, that's going to wrap up another week of discussions with Drew as we strive to talk with the smartest people in the business every single week. Don't forget to tune in Thursday morning for my solo time and the Auction Brief. Mike, thank you so much for joining us this week. I'll talk to you real soon. The Auction Brief is adjourned.
Speaker 3: The Auction Brief is a journ that'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction brief