Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we'd bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property. And for this week of April seventh, we are continuing with Running Point on Netflix with episode three, The Travis Bug Affair. And you had to feel for poor Jackie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, first last week he's suddenly a member of the family. Now he's suddenly working as Ila's assistant.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: You know, has no idea what he's doing because he's never learned.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, I just all those who have been in a job that is way over your head, and people are like, oh, you'll learn on your you'll learn on your feet. It's not fine. It's never fine. It's like, please sit me down and explain to me what to do right, And finally, fortunately Ali does do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it did. It did make me think of like, you know, when your kids are little, and oh, yeah, you just you know, sometimes you forget like, oh, I have to actually show them how to do this or that thing. You know, they can't just pick it up by osmosis, I mean something. Some things obviously they can, but you know, it's not fair to expect them to do things without any any help, you.
Speaker 1: Know, or to be mad when they screw up if you have not provided that right help. But it's also true that parents sort of are thrusted to this job without sure's. I guess there are manuals now to teach you, but since every child is different, it done works. You just have to sort of hope that you don't screw things up in such a way that people are yelling about you on x X. Yes, now that that that dude can insist on calling it Twitter, we're all going to call it X, right, Yeah, that was like parenting wise. The point of that whole storyline was old people are bad at tech. Don't don't let him he's not even that old, but don't let him near your your devices. Well, and he doesn't know how to do the burner, I can't.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't pick up the phone if you're busy.
Speaker 1: Get that is exactly now.
Speaker 2: If he had just waited right a few minutes, I think you would have to handle it without messing it up in the way that he did.
Speaker 1: So ye, mutch out. Yeah, she's she's trying to deal with this annoying player. First, this is the sponsor she just got, and then she takes him to dinner at the coach's suggestion, and then he kisses her, and then it becomes a big thing and he doesn't deny it, and it's just one thing after another, right, and nobody sort of seems to know how to handle him, except his fellow player sort of the I guess, an elder statesman on the team, even though he still looks very young but old old in basketball years, I guess, just does sort of sits him down and does something that's good. But if you can do it from a parenting point of view of you know, praising the things that they're doing good, right, recognizing that they have a rule, taking them seriously, and kind of inviting them to step up. Yeah, you know you can. You can keep on being a doing the things you're doing, but you have a responsibility and you have value and you know you are needed and straighten him right up. Isn't that nice? Couln't that be great if that works? Just exactly like that? Yeah? Where is that guy? Could you license him? So now for parenting situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's very much like he you know, he acknowledges like I can see. He can see, yes, why Travis is behaving the way that he's behaving, and he can actually find the right words to Travis to see that too.
Speaker 1: Right, which works better than punishment or sweet talking, both of which were just sleep unsuccessful.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But it's hard when you're in the emotion of the moment to think of a way to handle this that does not involve one of those things. But you know, it's something to think about if you're in that situation. Right. Doesn't necessarily work in real life like it does on TV alas, but wor worth adding to your arsenal at any rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's it's like you said, you know there, Yes, there's a manual. There are many manuals, and the problem is figuring out what to take from which one, and which one's going to work on your kid. But this I think his name is his name Marcus, the other player, Yes, yes it is. You know, he's very he's very savvy, has figured out he's a student of the game and the players.
Speaker 1: Yes he is. Woh yeah, yes, so that was impressive. Convenient but impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite convenient.
Speaker 1: It's almost were almost to a half an hour here.
Speaker 2: We got to wrap this up.
Speaker 1: Okay, one good talk.
Speaker 2: Bunny, figure this out. Yeah, and it was. It was helpful for Aila that this guy came to her. You know, she didn't even have to ask him to go do it, which I don't know if he would have done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just sat back and he showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They had a conversation before the didn't they.
Speaker 2: But she well, she tried, but he sent his representative, didn't he Maybe he sent like a different guy, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, because see he wasn't interested in talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think she I think she did try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, no, he came to her to complain that he had had to play the whole half of the game.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but that yeah, yeah, in this I thought you meant did they talk before this episode? In this episode?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, yes, it starts. That's right. You're right that he sent the representative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this episode, it started with him upset because he had to play the.
Speaker 1: Whole It's like, you need him in the game, get him in the game, and it worked.
Speaker 2: So he had he had a self interest that he was.
Speaker 1: That he was right. That helps also if you have a self interest. So so again we have the formula of ilis screws up and whether it's surfauld or not, a scrope occurs and then it is by the end of the episode heartwarmingly rectified.
Speaker 2: That's right, and same with Jackie.
Speaker 1: Jackie. You know it starts to learn what to do. Not perfect, but he's learning what to do. He gets rid of the cocaine drawer. It's great.
Speaker 2: So he has very good coaching from Yes, from.
Speaker 1: Ali, Yes, and he will get there. I'm pretty sure he's an appealing addition to this crazy group because the other brothers are so annoying. One sympathetic brother out of three four four, one sympathetic brother out of four.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and you you know, what's the common what's the differentiator. He did not grow up with.
Speaker 1: Them, that's right. He's actually more sympathetic than she is, so a sympathetic Gordon. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then we had an extremely understanding fiance as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean he had nothing to worry about because.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, nothing was really going on. Nothing was her her fault or anything. But still it had to be hard to listen to all that.
Speaker 1: But okay, yeah, yeah, good luck to them. He just seems to be there to set up a future story. You got to check in with him once everybody.
Speaker 2: Remembers, Oh yeah this guy, this guy, yeah, part of that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We shall see where, if anywhere, that goes.
Speaker 2: But that's just Mindy Haling having a role for her.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's fine, he's good. I did see that this has been renewed for a second season.
Speaker 2: Are we surprised? I mean, when your season is eight episodes, it's like, you know, it's basically a mini series, like yeah, you can, yeah, have another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It's not the same as in the olden days of our youth, where seasons were long and you bitch your nails for months as to whether your favorite show is going to come back. Now, it's like there is handed these things out like popcorn, which is fine. I guess as long as it's not my money. Okay, sure I can watch it or not as I choose. But this is pretty watchable. Yeah, yeah, I think it's short. If nothing else, and you know, it's fine. Doesn't require you to pay like one hundred percent attention. You can do other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and you'll till dogs, you'll laugh here and there.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it laughs and there are cringes and you know, yeah, it's fine, right, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Everything endorsement, It is fine.
Speaker 1: But we're going to keep going or worse ways to spend a half Yes.
Speaker 2: So next Wednesday we'll spend another half hour. It is season one episode for dul Jaunchie. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: We're so glad.
Speaker 2: I don't know how we're saying. So we'll check that out and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.