Speaker 1: Thank you, Joe. It is six o four here Kentucky. This Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS take us with you wherever you go this morning. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at WHAS dot com. I do want to remind folks this started last week, but we are now into phase two of the routine inspections on the Clark Memorial Bridge, and with Phase two starting today, this is actually when traffic is more so expected to be an issue. So if you're somebody that commutes across that bridge, Clark Clark Memorial expects some delays and look, if I'm wrong and the delays weren't there, then good. But it was something that they wanted to point out that when Phase two starts, which again today June sixteenth, that's when apparently the inspectors are going to be climbing the bridge's steel trust to examine the upper steel beams, and apparently that will cause more of a delay because of what goes into that. So just be prepared and if you have, you know your you've got a way. And I remember last week, whenever we talked about this, I was acting as if there's all kinds of different routes you can take, and no, there's actually not, because there's only a few bridges when it comes to getting to Kentucky and Louisville. So just keep that in mind, folks. You've also, as you could expect, talked a lot about the assassination that took place on Friday and a near one that took place as well not long after it, and just just an absolutely tragic situation. And we did talk with Rio and Nei a little bit earlier. And I shouldn't feel this way, but there's nothing this suspect could say that would in any way make anything. I mean, it's part of me says no. I don't want to hear anything. There's nothing he could say that that would justify what he did by killing two people and attempting to kill two others. But I am intrigued to kind of hear, you know what, what led to somebody being just this awful and insane. I think we have some ideas as far as what the motive is. But if you ever found yourself being interested in true crime to you know, my daughter loves those and I've never felt bad about it, and I don't overall. But you know, there's there's part of me that at times like, well, maybe we're giving this awful person what they want. They get this level of attention and notoriety, obviously for terrible reason, but I don't think they really care when it comes to, you know, some of the things that that that that they end up doing. But if he talks, we'll we'll we'll get I guess what led to him going to that, going to that? I heard that extreme.
Speaker 2: I heard some reports yesterday coming out that this guy was sort of talking to his neighbors and there were some red flags that were put up at that point. But you don't know what makes people ticket. It's a classic example, you don't know what goes out. I was thinking about that was out cutting the grass Saturday. We'll get around my neighborhood. You just don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who you never know, And then the minute you no, you know what's going on in somebody's head, you never know. I mean, you just never know. Yeah, And you mentioned red flags. I mean, I would imagine it's probably one of those things that it's a tough spot to be in if you feel like the red flag was there but you didn't realize it was a red flag until it's way too late.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that happens all the time, right every time. Yeah, you know what, that was kind of odd. That person was behaving really weird. I didn't think much of it, you know, thought about it for a few seconds, and then I just never thought about it again. And then you have something. And it's not to say that those people feel any way responsible, but if they do feel as if well, I don't know, maybe I should have said something that would be that'd be tough. But I think some things that are red flags, it's almost impossible to know in real time one what somebody's actually going to do, but also that that would actually be the red flag. It's just it's wild.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We've seen some of our neighbors some different behavior that comes about, and sometimes they're just different, that's who they are. But it harkens back to the day as I was listening to some of the accounts yesterday. If you see something, say something, Yeah, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter anymore, just go in and speak up.
Speaker 1: Also, something else we touched on earlier, the protest that took place all across the country. Louisville had one of those as well, the No Kings protest. And I'm sure we have many listening that are on one complete side and others that are on the exact opposite side as far as what they think about these protests. But what I ask is, can't we all agree that despite around four thousand people showing up in downtown Louisville, different places throughout you even had some smaller protests that took place in the Highlands near Barchtown Road by mid City Mall, yet some just across the river in New Albany Jeffersonville as well. So I can't speak for the Southern Indiana aspect of it. But when it comes to the downtown presence again, they estimated around four thousand, and it looks like it took place from about noon to four pm, and once four pm hit it concluded and throughout the entirety of it there were no arrests. That's about all. I mean, that's best case scenario, given the fact that regardless of what you think of these protests, people were still going to be able, people were still going to do it like it wasn't like we were going It wasn't like it was going to be prevent it from happening at all, and they have the right to do it peacefully. And you know, I'm sure if you were there on site, you may have your money, you may have your opinion on what's peaceful and what's not. But law enforcement was clearly there a lot of presents from LMPD and they didn't see anything that was an arrestable offense. So again, I feel like that's best case scenario, to be honest with you, especially when you look around the country elsewhere. That's not the case in a lot of.
Speaker 2: Places, absolutely, And you know, I just like, like we heard with the pool in the way, the city's on top of this now and I just think, there's this and I tiped my head to the mayor. You can say what you want about the mayor. I'm political atheist. I have no allegiance anywhere. The mayor and the LMPD and in the city as a whole are collectively working together to kind of keep this stuff contained. Let's home it stays that way, but they're taking action, and I think that's what the citizens of Louisville and the city have demanded for the longest time.
Speaker 1: I feel like Louisville leadership, at least right now given and I'm talking about what's taking place really in the last few weeks specifically. I mean, I think they're doing a good job of balancing for everyone involved, those who completely you know, for both sides, and I hate to say that it's this side that side, but let's be real, it is. We've never been more divided than we are right now. It seems so all right, what I want to get to coming up here in just a few minutes after we get our next update on traffic and weather. The Kroger here in Louisville that was that was shut down is expected to reopen today. But never a good thing whenever you get shut down by Louisville Metro Department of Public Health for rodent infestation. So we'll talk about that, and Morgan, your next update of traffic and weather's right now right here on New's Radio eight forty whas six fifteen. Hereuckyains Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. So this was in one of the earlier newscasts, and I'm sure if you're somebody that frequents this store, then you're well aware of what's going on. But the Kroger location on Gauss Avenue, I guess near the Schnitzelberg Germantown area was closed down. Actually is that it's Goss's Avenue? Is that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Someone I go to. I go to this one during the week.
Speaker 1: So they were closed down over the week and expected to reopen today. And it was because they had multiple failed health inspections by the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness. They were flagged for pest control and sanitation issues, rodent infestation. Apparently there were rodents. I mean, just it sounds like they've done what's needed to be able to get the green light to reopen, which is certainly good. But I'd be a liar if I said this wouldn't impact my future trips to this location. Scott, you go to this location? Are you? Are you still going to die?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was there Friday, and because usually Friday I go stock up on my lunch stuff for the week, and I'm good, and I walked in. I noticed they had an aisle that I frequent was closed down and they had curtains around it, and I thought maybe this was just something that that they they do a cleaning for you know, they pull sections aside and they do cleanings.
Speaker 4: I can get home. It's on the news. Mark goes, don't you go there?
Speaker 2: And I said, yeah, I was just there today, and she goes, you didn't see this, and I said, yeah, I didn't know what it was for. And the store was still packed on Friday. It wasn't keeping people away. I guess that the city comes in and says it's okay, I'll get because the stuff I buy, like, let's be honest, if anything looks tampered with, I'm not buying it.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you where the road and infestation was found and we'll see if it's something you buy. Because there were three aisles closed Friday, there was.
Speaker 4: One that I wanted to go down then.
Speaker 1: And then they ended up shutting the whole place down before they get they're going to reopen this morning. But the three aisles at the Gulf Avenue Kroger were closed Friday after they found evidence of rodent infestation and these The statement from the Health Department said that they discovered evidence of a rodent infestation in three aisles that included bread and pasta products. So was that what you were no, Okay.
Speaker 2: No, I go down the condiment aisle because I love my hot sauce. Okay, and so, but that is right next to the bread ale because luckily, I'm I'm a pretty low carb kind of guy.
Speaker 4: I don't need a lot of bread.
Speaker 1: This is uh wow, kroger Is. I mean there's kroger Is all over the place. I mean, they're a very very successful business, so I doubt this is going to be some huge issue for them moving forward. No, but it is a black eye when it comes to you having to shut down for this specific reason. And I don't I have no clue what others are going to do. And I'm certainly not telling you what to do. You can do whatever you want. I'm not even the most like put it this way to give you a level of sort of where I am as far as trusting if things are clean and not tampered with and that kind of stuff, like if something is lightly expired, I'll probably eat it and not and not think about it for a second. If that makes me a disgusting human being, I'm sorry, just being honest with you. But when I hear that there's just these two words rodent infestation, even if you do everything you can to prove you could break, you could tear the place down and rebuild it. I think road infestation is going to always be in my mind when I think of that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Dude, you it makes you wonder how many more of these are in places that haven't been.
Speaker 1: So you don't want to know? I know, right well, think about this, you know, how do you know how many businesses similar meaning maybe not maybe not just grocery store types of places, but just like there's businesses that are sweating because they're like, uh oh, yeah, we know we've got some roadent issues going on, and we're doing our best to bandage it and not let it get to this level. But I just think those two words road and infestation is going to turn a lot of people off. Also when it gets to the point that you you had to be shut down by the Louisville Metro Public Health and Safety because of how bad it was. It's just it's tough, it really is. John. Would you would you would this if this was a store that you frequented, would you no longer frequent?
Speaker 3: I would at the very least stay away from it for a little while to make sure that no other similar stories arise over the next probably month is probably at least the amount of time I would give it. I know my wife wouldn't want me shopping there for at least some amount of times. So, and there's plenty of other places I could shop at, so I definitely wouldn't be going to it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of different types of rodents. But I mean, it's got to be rats, right, I mean.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't say it sounds like, Okay, I don't know that, so.
Speaker 1: Don't you know? But when you when you consider the animals that are in the like in that in that world, I mean, the only one I could think of that would be there would be rats. And I'm and not only are those disgusting animals in my opinion, they scare me, like they freaked me out right where I go. That place is opening up at nine o'clock. If I went in there today, I would be like walking on my tiptoes looking around thinking I'm gonna stay. Just that's more so just me being a weirdo about how gross rats are. But yeah, road infestation, that didn't it just sounds awful.
Speaker 2: I could go because we had a we had mice in our home, and I could go on all day. But there were times I didn't tell all that. There was one time I found a household snake in one of our mice traps. Mouse traps. I did not say a thing to my wife. Well, I talked about it on the show somebody would go to church with.
Speaker 1: So you later got outed.
Speaker 4: She said it right in front of him.
Speaker 2: My man had a couple of beers and decided to disclose this in front of my wife. I'm like, appreciate you, bro, thank you. But I'm not as creeped out by mice.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean was she Was she happier that you didn't tell her?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She was.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 1: But because she didn't tell her for good reason. Yeah, she's like, I knew what you do to her. You knew that you got it taken care of. There was no benefit from her knowing, right.
Speaker 4: It was creepy to see though at first. At first I walked down.
Speaker 1: I've got the chills right now thinking about snakes and rats.
Speaker 4: I know you do. Yeah, now I don't mind mice. I can do mice rat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Different world, different world, those two animals right there. All right, we got an update of traffic and weather coming your way right here right now, and news Radio eight forty whas thank you, Joe. It is six thirty four here Konsecuta's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty w h A S getting your week started here. Hopefully you enjoyed the weekend a good Father's Day week and it was for us around here, and hopefully it was the same for you. Now this story is it happened probably within an hour or so of when we ended the show on Friday, So we're going back a little bit, but it's certainly worth bringing up because there was a scary and somehow miraculous ability to avoid a disaster when there was the wreck that took place on Friday morning around I think around ten am there was a semi truck on sixty five near the Kennedy Bridge that it ended up in a fiery crash, where an eighteen wheeler on fire dangled briefly off of an overpass before eventually falling. And not only was it a wild visual to see, just think about these two things together, a truck dangling off of an overpass near the Kennedy Bridge also up in flames in a major way. I mean, it looked like something you see in a movie. But what I think is crazy, and I'm not indicating that, like in any way there's any specific reason for this happening. But there's now been three incidents very similar in the last fifteen months or maybe actually less than that, roughly thirteen months, we've had three separate incidents involving semi trucks getting into an accident either on a bridge or on an overpass to where they end up dangling off of it. And again I'm not saying that there's like anybody specifically as it fault. If there is any real consistency here, it's probably people not monitoring their speed when they're in certain spots. But think about how crazy that is. I posted the pictures on my Facebook page if you guys want to check it out. Nick Coffee is where you can find it. Also on Twitter slash xit the card connect And these aren't my photos by any means, but just photos up to three different incidents. And it started, of course back in this was in This was in March maybe of twenty twenty four. This is the one that made national news just because of the visual of the It was that four vehicle crash that took place on Second Street Bridge and you had that Cisco semi truck just dangling and you had first responders there, fire department that had to kind of kind of what do you call it a repel off of the bridge and get in there and save her. I mean, that was that was insane to see the heroic act there and just again it's the visual. I mean, there's a reason why it ended up getting coverage live on CNN and Fox and whatnot, because you got to get a look at this. You won't believe it's a there's a semi truck dangling off of a major bridge. So that was a huge story. And then there's one that happened the day after Derby May fourth of this year. This was on I sixty five South at the Kennedy Bridge, and you had something similar a wreck where straight up the semi truck is dangling off. And then again we had this on Friday. Again, I'm not bringing it up to say somebody, you know, look, clearly they're gonna look into this and figure out as best they can what they can do to, you know, prevent this from happening. But you know, and maybe they do find out that there's something, there's something at fault when it comes to like the roadway or whatnot. I'm just bringing it up because I think it's insanely you know, what are the chances of those kind of things happening? Ever, we've had it happen three times and roughly a year and a quarter.
Speaker 2: Well, and it was, like you, I saw those images and it was just they look horrific, and so I again started again. I love social media, and I started reading some of the truckers that we're talking. I'd be interested talking to some of the truckers. I'm working on a story for that for Kentucky Focus. You know, there are some there's a strong need for truckers. Are we pushing them through the trucking courses too fast? Are we allowing people to get behind rigs that maybe aren't qualified or wouldn't have been qualified just five ten years ago because we're trying to fill that shortage. Is this an experience factor or because that's been there for a while. Yeah, and it's only, like you mentioned, it's only been recently we've had these incidences. So are we seeing more inexperienced drivers taking that maybe a little too fast or what negotiate the way they should.
Speaker 1: When I think, well, it wouldn't be a shocker if we found out that all of these incidents that took place the you know, take away the fact that it's a bridge and that it's a semi there's a lot of different causes for an accident, right, I mean, you know, there's probably not anything specifically tied that that is, you know, there's probably not one specific thing that has led to these three things happening happening separately, but it just makes you wonder. I think a lot of people when I posted the photos, it was a lot of people, you know, basically saying that you know, the cities at fault or whatnot, and look, maybe there are I'm not here to say one way or the other. I wouldn't know. But anytime these things happen, you do get comments from from the mayor. This when the one that took place where the first one that got again national attention at that point, Mayor Greenberg noted that there's been ongoing discussions with KYTC about safety improvements, including epoxy surface treatment and replacing some areas that it needed to be I guess upgraded. I guess he's talking about the road specifically there and then here recently, the latest one that happened, this one right after Derby on May fourth, emphasized the ongoing collaboration once again with KYTC to enhance safety in the area. So again, probably information will never get and it may not even matter. But now I'm thinking, Okay, when it comes to the three separate incidents, what's the experience level of each truck driver? Is that area an area they drive across frequently or did they not know what they were getting into and came in a little too hot. It's just and what's wild is that what took place on Friday. I mean the driver was able to escape before the fire happened. There were no explosions. You know, there was no hazardous materials in the because when it fell to the ground. I mean if there would have been hazardous materials in there, I mean imagine what that and that could have easily been the case, right, I mean, it wouldn't have been a shocker if that fed eighteen wheeler was hauling something that would have been major disaster had as Matt Yeah, crazy stuff. So it's just the visual of it is wild. It looks like some AI movie type special effects, but no, it was it was real. And seeing the videos and the pictures from those that were just out and about on the road near it, wild stuff, wild stuff, no doubt. All right, we got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here, right now on news radio eight forty WHAS six forty six here Kentucky and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. Take us with you wherever you're going this morning. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. Don't forget if you are listening on the iHeart Radio app, you can always interact with us with the talkback feature. I want to I need to remind myself to start reminding you guys of that feature more often. But that's a good way to uh for you to share your thoughts on whatever it is we're talking about. Questions, complaints, compliments, insults, send them our way. We we can't play everything you send us, and certainly we can if you are using profanity, but know, just know that's an option if you ever just want to fire off your opinion on what we're talking about you, or if you even want to basically provide your resume to join the correction police, because we know that's what this feature will be used for a lot of folks is to say, well, hey, Nick, you loud mouth. You said this, but in fact you were wrong. It was this. I mean, if you want to do that, knock yourself out.
Speaker 2: I love corrections I and I've told this. I've said this since day one when I got on the radio. The audience is the best. I'm not I'm not perfect.
Speaker 1: You're better than me. I'm not a big fan of the police.
Speaker 2: I don't mind them at all. I'm like, bring it, you know, because I love it. Because I love it helps me in a lot of ways too. But you know, hopefully, Nick, I was listening to some of those you sent prior to and we're going to try to put those together.
Speaker 4: We get enough one, we're gonna try to put them together.
Speaker 2: At the end of the week and maybe get a pulse because I think what it does is it provides an accurate feed of how people think in this city. As we were talking earlier, some of the biggest stories, the crowgra on Goss Avenue, the truckers.
Speaker 4: On sixty five.
Speaker 2: Immediately I go to social media, and I go to our page to start with, because I like to see what people are saying, especially our listeners, and we can get a real feel for that. And then I'll jump over to lky are Media partners there and I think with the talkback feature that you mentioned, that provides a great venue and we sort that stuff out.
Speaker 4: You can tell.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know from working at the station five in the morning, you know for a while that different people calling it five in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, five am crowd. You really never know what You're got people starting their day. You got people ending their day. That's exactly right. And to be fair, I don't mind being correct. To trust me, I've probably been wrong about a few things within the two and a half minutes of this segment, like trust me, I'm wrong. Often it's not about that, it's just those that go about it in a way of like they put you on the radio, right, it's wrong, you do fis right? And you know what I love is either trolling them at times like oh no, I think you need to go check yourself because I think you know, even when I know I'm wrong, if they're being nasty about it, I'll just tell them, Oh no, I'm right, you're wrong, and then they'll really want to This guy's squeezy. He stinks he's still right, and I probably shouldn't do that. That's childish of me. I suppose. Sometimes I'll give them like, you know, again, there's a way to go about it, and at times when somebody's just wanted to I guess dunk on me for being wrong. When I don't give them the response of like challenging them, I'm like, oh my god, thank you so much, then they feel empty. They didn't get fulfilled by insulting me because I'm instead of being angry and offended, I'm apologetic.
Speaker 4: That's over the ticket. Yeah, that's the ticket. And that's what I was trying to tell mister Cruz when he was on the air. I said, you know you don't have to respond.
Speaker 2: In fact, when Will Clark used to get those all the time, because Wellie would say some stuff that would be but everybody loves Will Clark.
Speaker 4: So I said, what you.
Speaker 2: Need to do is when you get an email, read it, learn from it, and then you move on. And when I say move on, when you delete it, then delete it out of your recycle bin. Because if you don't delete it out of your recycle bin. Like when you're missing a tooth, he keeps sticking your tongue up there, or you miss your tooth, you'll keep going back to it. And that's the thing I've learned is that I love critis because I have to sort some's warranted, some admittedly not. But it helps me be a better person. And and I just I learned also to move on.
Speaker 1: And this is not obviously a caller driven show. That's just not what this is. But I learned in my previous world whenever I did have a show that was more so interactive with listeners and phone calls and whatnot, it's better radio if somebody's gonna call and disagree with you or take you to task on something, or even like insult you. I mean, I'm not encouraging that people shouldn't be me to one another. Like because I said your team's not as good as as you know you think they are, doesn't mean you should call me and tell me that I'm ugly. But that's just how some people are wired. But you know, again, if you I don't, I don't. I didn't want to make this conversation into something where people should be hesitant to tell us what they really think, So tell us what you really think again. Talk about features there on the Ahet Radio app, and we hope to hear from from many of you. All Right, we've got an update of trafficking weather coming your way, and also another update of sports with Scott, So stick around at six fifty one Here Kentucky and it's morning News News Radio eight forty whas