Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to call. Nice to be back after a week's vacation. It was wonderful, but I missed all of you, and I want to thank not only Gary Tangway who sat in all last week, but also of course Marita and Karen Bussemi who on a Monday produced the program. So we're back ready to go, that is for sure, and we are back to our normal programming, meaning we're going to start off with our first four guests in a segment. Rob Brooks is back behind the microphone, and I'm all set. My name is Dan Ray, and I am here every Monday through Friday night except on a month vacation, and I will be here every night for the balance of September through most of not all of October, right up to it including November fifth, and of course that's going to be a very important date for everyone. So one person who is going to be watching November fifth very closely is a longtime friend and colleague, John Keller of WBC Television. He is the political editor over there and it has been for it many many years. Does his Sunday morning program, amongst other responsibilities. John Keller, welcome back to Nightside. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Would you say your name was against Dan Ray?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, I don't think we haven't met too many times.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 3: I don't think you have to reintroduce yourself to the audience anymore. I think everybody knows who you are.
Speaker 2: You never know, you never know. That could be some new listeners every day. John, how are you doing? Yeah, you're right to reintroduce you, but I do that out of professional courtesy. I welcome, welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 3: Thank you, big, big night.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: This might be the one and only, the one and only presidential debate of this year. I've heard very little from the Presidential Debate Commission, which normally is in charge of this lock stock and barrel. For some reason, everything has changed this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're out of the picture, and it's a matter of the campaigns negotiating directly with media organizations. Dan. I'm willing to moderate one's if they're interested down the road, but I'll tell you Tomorrow night could be the only one, and that I think changes the strategy that these candidates will bring Tomorrow night. I mean you you know, we're we're a little less than two months away from election day. That's a that's a long time, and so one thing you've got to do if you're Harris or Trump is try to create viral moments that will live on over the coming weeks online. Because if you're counting on people remembering the entire debate by the time they go vote, I think you might be in trouble. So that suggests to me, for instance, that Harris in particular, will have some set lines ready to go that she's going to try to drop on him that will create viral moments on Trump is going to try to do the same, but I watch for that. I think they're going to be looking to create these little episodes that will be bouncing around Facebook and Instagram and TikTok for the remaining seven weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, it's really interesting because if that debate ends up as sort of a draw, a right, a tie, whatever, however people score it. If it doesn't move the needle, then both of them probably would be open to another debate. But if one wins dramatically, as Trump did with President Biden in June, I think that's it. We may see a vice presidential debate. I'm not even sure if the Presidential Commission on Debates or whatever it's called, which generally was run by the League of Women Voters, If I'm not mistaken, they've been ased out of this whole process, asd out by the June face off between President Biden and former President Trump, and we know how that ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're right, this could be it except for a possible vice presidential debate. I'm not sure if that's set and grant yet that even that's going to happen, But you know, you got a one or what the strategy is for these two going into this. Are they going into it looking to just excite their base so that you know, people who are already inclined to back Harris come away all hyped up and ready to turn out. Is that how they look at this as a as a straight turnout election, or whoever generates the bigger turnout is going to win. Or do they use this opportunity to make a play for the undecided voter, the swing voter. And that's weird, Dan, because one thing we know about these undecided voters, the small percentage of the electorate that still can't make up its mind. Or just as I'm paying attention. Is they tend to make up their minds in the final couple of weeks. Yeah, that's what history shows.
Speaker 2: You know, there's probably eleven people in the country who at this point.
Speaker 3: Are it's really got a wonder right, So they could.
Speaker 2: Put all those people in the room together. It would be a very small room and we could figure the election.
Speaker 3: Out as long as there's an open bar.
Speaker 2: Something like that. Yes, that would be the poster's dream. Well, I don't know. I mean, obviously i'd follow I follow the polls polls closely as you do, and I follow five point thirty eight very closely. And it looks to me like as in this moment, Vice President Harris did have a bit of a bump out of that convention, which went very well for the Democrats. But that bump has not continued, and it's if it may have even receded a little bit. Is that the way you see this or am I missing something?
Speaker 3: No, that could real well be. I'm going to stick with the way I've looked at this all along, just for lack of a better idea, Dan, and that is is that if the swing voter goes into the polls in November or down the stretch because there's plenty of advanced voting that's going to be going on focused on Trump and thinking, gee, do I really want to go back to what we had with Trump. I think that's good for Harris, because one thing the polls tell you is Donald Trump is not that popular. However, if they go into the polls focused on Harris and the Biden years, well, those years have not been popular with the voters, and that could be persuasive for people who just say, look, you know, maybe I voted for Trump back in sixteen because I wanted to try something new, and maybe I wasn't that thrilled with it, But then we had this Bite and Harris thing, and I really didn't like that, so I'll go back the other way.
Speaker 2: Well, there's another element I throw at you'd like to get your reaction, John, and that is that. And I agree with you that if you go in thinking about Trump and the turmoil, particularly of the last few weeks of his second term of his first term in office, most people say, oh, do we really need to go through that again. But if people go in and they focus and they say, well, I know what Trump believes, I know what his positions are, some of which I might agree with, some of which I don't disagree with, I don't agree with. But what is Vice President Harris? She hasn't done news conferences. She hasn't done except one to sit down interview. Am I voting for someone that I know what's in all? Or? Am I voting for someone that Bernie Sanders yesterday said is not changing her positions, She's just kind of accommodating her circumstances and trying to win an election. That was a sound bite for Bernie Sanders yesterday.
Speaker 3: I thought, Yeah, you know, you're right. It reminds me a little bit of the whole edge of sketch situation with Mitt Romney. Remember that he was gonna once he got the nomination, shake like an edge of sketch and come up with a a whole new platform. Yeah, that didn't work out too great, But I don't know. I think tomorrow night you're gonna hear a lot about Project twenty twenty five from Harris. Yep, because that has proven, much to my surprise, to be honest with you, to be a very effective vehicle for well certainly scaring the daylights out of people. Because it's a project twenty twenty five is a lot of extreme right wing wishless stuff, but it suggests and it promotes fear of a Trump led future.
Speaker 2: It also sounds like it sounds so governmental, and it almost sounds like Area fifty one. Right. Yes, I don't know what it is, but it doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't sound good.
Speaker 2: And whoever does.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's going to be interesting tomorrow night, that is for sure. And I know you'll be watching it like a hawk, and people will get your reaction to it, and we'll get people's reaction to it. And by the way, tonight we're going to talk about see what people anticipate and expect beginning at ten o'clock. And you have set the table as always very nicely for us, and I appreciate that very much.
Speaker 3: Get the popcorn ready, Dan, Oh yeah, Arrow.
Speaker 2: Popcorn tomorrow night. Thanks John Donathan, Thank you. John Keller. John Keller, political analyst at WBZ TV. You see him, and he is always very close to the mark. He's a guy who's an absolute straight shooter. When we get back, we're going to talk with a brain health coach and consultant about whether or not. The food you eat may dictate your mood. We'll see. We're coming back on Nightside. This is Monday Night Step Termber ninth, Football in the year. We're going to be talking later tonight, by the way, with Tara Sullivan, Boston Globe sports columnists, who really I enjoy. She's going to talk about the big Patriots upset victory on the road in Cincinnati. It was on to Cincinnati yesterday for the Patriots, and now it's on to the rest of the schedule. We'll talk with Tara, and we'll also talk with Emily Sweeney about Boston accent. So we'll have a little bit of fun. We'll loosen it up here coming up right after the break here on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Light Sinight Studios on WBZ the news Radio.
Speaker 2: I want to welcome Lee Richardson. She's a brain health coach and a consultant. She's the founder of the Brain Performance Center Lee Richardson, or I should say doctor Richardson. Welcome, very welcome to you. Food may dictate our mood. What's this all about? I'm here, well, too much sugar, too much carbs. What are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Holoyd.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what we're talking about. Our diet does affect our maids, and really it's because it's through blood sugar, and once our blood sugar gets hot, starts triggering our hormones. And then, you know, anytime you do something that you really like, the brain starts kicking out this dopamine, and dopamine is a really feel good transceneral transmitter, and we get confused like, oh, I like that, I want that, I need that, And that's confusing for the brain. And then maybe four or five hours after we get that sugar high, that adrenaline starts to get released in our system. And as good as that dopamine makes us feel, adrenaline makes us feel bad. But it's confusing, you know, to when you eat something and you feel good and then all of a sudden, or what's not all of a sudden, for a little while later, you feel bad.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me miss this. I understand the dopamine concept. And dopamine, for example, if people are runners, they know what a runner's high is. After you know, a ten k race or a five k race or a marathon, you get that that dopamine, which is just hey, I've really I work out every day. I'm my best part of the day is when I finish my exercise routine, generally around eight or eight thirty in the morning. I'm ready to go, so that it's not a bad thing. But I guess if it's brought on by exercise, it's okay. But if it's brought on by junk food, it's not. Is that what I'm hearing you.
Speaker 5: Say, Well, it is because dopaman is a key factor in addiction and whether and you know, I'm not saying you're addicted to exercise, Honestly, I have approached that in my younger years. But whether it's alcohol or I got to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I am addicted to exercise because I do it. Yeah, I try to do it every day, you know, and I feel much better when it's over. You got to have that mindset, get up, get it over with and get on with the day.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And well, thank you for admitting your addiction. I think exercise because I tell myself for years, well, it's a healthy addiction, and I still want it, but I can live.
Speaker 3: I don't have to have it.
Speaker 5: And with food and so it's so complex, you know, we all have our comfort food that makes us feel good. And I can remember as a little kid, you know, anytime I felt bad, my mom would make me a baked potato. I see a baked potato today, I'm like, oh, yes, please. Now, I know that's a high glossmic index, but at the same time, it's a comfort food to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's assume somebody is actually over eating in terms of sugar and carbs. So the process is you like the sugar and carbs and you get the dopamine high, and then you come crashing down and you're adrenaline which takes which brings you down.
Speaker 5: Well, that plays a part of it, but it also it's your blood sugar. It fluctuates and they call it now a high glossmic index. And for our listeners out there, you know, God Glass, Google, you don't have to work too hard to figure out what low glossmic indexed foods are. Just put it in the search bar, and it's amazing because it's it's what makes it complicated. There is no two people that have the same brain, and there's no two people that are going to react to sugar or caffeine or chocolate or anything. The same way that somebody is my.
Speaker 2: Favorite food groups chocolate. Oh man. Okay, So what's the long term implications here? What are we talking about here? What by do by by over indulging in sugars and carbs, Other than affecting our moved there must be some long term.
Speaker 6: Medical Absolutely, absolutely all of that relates to insulin and diabetes.
Speaker 5: Diabetes is and it's probably one of the fastest growing. So there is no difference. Everybody thinks all the body that's your physical health, and all the brain that's your mental health. No, thank you, it's brain health. And the brain controls everything that's going on in the body. The body keeps score of whatever's going on in the brain.
Speaker 2: So how about a quick recommendation. We've probably scared some people tonight, including me. What other than self disciplined, what can you do? Cut down on your sugar and your carbs.
Speaker 5: Educate, become aware you know, Google low glassmic index. I mean I was brought up, Oh my gosh, you got to eat grape nuts. They're hot glasmic values and little did my mom know. So if I want thing to say to our listeners out there, it's your responsibility educate yourself and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 2: Okay, So low glycemic index is what we should be googling tonight, right, Ye, all right, doctor Lee Richardson. I love the way you kind of tell us the truth. Okay, but you're doing it in a nice way.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for your kind words.
Speaker 2: Well can take that as a compliment. Okay, Oh I do. I think you've probably shaken up a few people tonight, but that's not a bad thing. We'll have you back as always, doctor Lee Richardson. How can folks get in touch with the Brain Performance Center if they'd like to get some information about the Brain Performance Center, Well.
Speaker 5: We've got that good old fashion website, the Brain Performance Center dot com, and they can find doctor Lee E. Richardson on LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, sounds great, doctor Richardson. We'll talk soon. Okay, thanks so much for joining us again. Have a great night.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna talk about Boston accents, not only real Boston accents and the one just seeing the movies with. Who better to talk about this with than a great friend, Emily Sweeney of the Boston Globe. And I'm looking forward to talking to Emily, we'll be back right after the news at the bottom of the hour, and you can get your Boston accents ready. Go pack your car if you haven't packed it yet. We'll be back.
Speaker 1: Night side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right now. There are some people in other parts of the country who think that those of us who grew up in Boston have some form of a Boston accent. I don't quite frankly, hear that accent at all. However, the great reporter and social commentator of the Boston Globe, Emily Sweeney, took on this task to critique Boston accents. What real Bostonians think about accent portrayals in movies and television. Emily, I don't even recognize a Boston accent. I recognize all sorts of weird accents from the count around the country. But we speak really normally up here, don't we.
Speaker 6: You know, Dan, That's what I think. I mean. I know sometimes people will be like, wow, your accent, and I'm like, what, Like, I don't know. I don't hear it either, but I do hear when I'm bad accent.
Speaker 2: Do you say either or either? I say either.
Speaker 3: I say either, why's that?
Speaker 6: I don't you know, that's a good question. I've never really thought about it too much, Dan, But you know either either you know either kid?
Speaker 2: Do you say odds or aunt?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Of course aunt without a doubt, of course.
Speaker 2: So some friends of mine just say, you know, aunt Mary, aunt Gloria and stuff like that. There's different ways to pronounce words, So go ahead. I'm not trying to step on your lines here, and I'm trying to get get everybody on the same page with us here, because obviously saying pakrka, that's what you're going to say if you're in habit.
Speaker 6: Hobbit square right, right right, And as all Bostonians know, you wouldn't even try to pack your car and have it yet, which is the whole thing. Is kind of weird, of.
Speaker 2: Course, right, unless you were conducting a protest or something, and then you have first something like that. No, so look, we do have Let's let's explain it for people who were knowing listening to the show and have never been to this area before. Many of us feel that the letter are is a superfluous letter of the twenty six consonant and vowels that make up you know, the English language correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it just kind of rolls off the tongue and just disappears sometimes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: What I mean is as opposed it disappears.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, I got you, and yeah, so so, and it's kind of a it's an interesting topic. You know. I got to interview a bunch of my colleagues at the Globe for a Globe Today TV segment, and we also interviewed members of the public just about like, you know, what are some of the best and worst Boston accents we've heard on TV and movies? And I'm sure you can think of some. I mean, some bad ones come to mind immediately for me. But you know when when some people, when people try to do the Boston accent and they don't pull it off, it's, uh, it can be very distracting.
Speaker 2: I find it'd be like a Southern It would be a Southern accent somebody who's really not from the South and tried to throw a few U walls in there, and you realize they're you guys said that the accent of the actors in The Perfect Storm were pretty bad. Wasn't Mark Wahlberg in The Perfect Storm? Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, I think macky mock gets a pass when we when the perfect storm is mentioned, and I think, you know, Coloney didn't even really attempt it, which is fine, you know, because not everybody in Boston also has.
Speaker 3: An act that if you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yep, yeap of it.
Speaker 2: I'm i'm a because he's from.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, and you know Mark always nails it, you know, Casey Affleck always nails.
Speaker 2: It, you know what.
Speaker 6: One of my colleagues, John Chestell, pointed out that Jeremy Renner, who apparently not from this area, but also nails the accent down in the town like you don't even notice it. He sounds so natural. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, hopefully, yes, yes, thankfully, and uh, you know, he did a great job with it. One of the real bad ones that got mentioned when I was talking to my colleagues was, I don't know, if you've seen the movie Thirteen Days, Kevin Costna totally just massacres what I think is supposed to be a Boston accent.
Speaker 2: As you probably know, my audience is gonna hate me for telling this story again, but I played a major role in Reversal of Fortune, which was the club from the story on air with it, I mb D or I m dB, whatever the hell it is credit, Okay, And we were nominated for the Movie of the Year. Jeremy Irons won the Academy Award that year for Great Performance. Glenn Close played Sonny Bulah, Sonny van Buloh. She never got out of the bed, I think in the entire Yeah, the entire movie. Uh. And and we lost that year to Costner in Dances with Wolves. So I don't like Costner. Okay, I haven't spoken to him. Since you've hit a little bit of a nerve with Kevin Costner.
Speaker 6: Well, now you have another reason too.
Speaker 2: Well. I never had spoken to him before either, but I haven't certainly spoken to him since that's a true story that I was in that movie and we lost the Dances with Wolves. That dam I know. Well, you know it would have been I would have had a perfect record, one for one, you know, one movie, one roll, one on screen, one oscar. That's I would have gone out bat in a thousand. But now you know, so don't have an oscar.
Speaker 6: That's right, there's plenty. It's on you, you know what I mean, The next the next film, you know, well, you have a good feeling about it.
Speaker 2: Well, people say to me, when's the next one? And I say, well, you know pretty much. Jeremy Irons and Glenn Close and I we all keep reading scripts and we just can't kind of agree, you know sometimes you know that sort of thing. But as I say, I want to say to you that one of my on my bucket list is to win an Oscar.
Speaker 6: There you go, of course Oscar?
Speaker 2: So who was?
Speaker 6: And I'm sure you'll give a great speech too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the music will be playing as soon as I grabbed the microphone.
Speaker 6: You hold on to that mic too, even when the big like.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Well, Michael Logue time.
Speaker 6: So what else you're working on?
Speaker 2: This seems like this seems like a good one. You guys the Globe are becoming multi media, multi dimension all over there.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, totally. I mean the Globe Today TV show is great. I always have a great time being on it, and you know my colleagues are on. It's on if you want to check it out every weekday at five o'clock on Nesson. It's worth checking out. And you know, one of the things I'll be doing for the show will be doing a segment on one of the unsolved murders that I'm writing about for the Cold Case Files. That's one of the series that I write for the Globe about unsolved murders.
Speaker 2: And then of course to come back for that one talk about that. The other thing too, is for sure, I know that you guys probably hang with John Henry over in the in the cafeteria most days, right if you see.
Speaker 6: Henry, well, you know, Linda Henry is always around and she's very, very involved, So definitely see her a lot in the news groom and in the building.
Speaker 2: Well here's I tried to reach the Globe yesterday morning.
Speaker 6: Okay, my Sunday.
Speaker 2: Newspaper to which I'm addicted, okay, as a Globe subscriber.
Speaker 6: Since like I like to hear that good Oh yeah, a long time globe.
Speaker 2: My Sunday globe was late yesterday morning, totally threw off my schedule coffee, breakfast, everything, okay. And then this morning this morning, to add insult to injury, as I walked down my short little driveway and noticed that my globe was there on time, well what appeared to be my globe. It was a copy of the Cape Card Times.
Speaker 6: Oh really, okay, So it's been a bad week, Emily, and so when you say, oh, man, John or.
Speaker 2: Anybody over there, just let him know that they have one upset subscriber here and the people of the Cape, because I'm in residence in the Cape during the summer months doing my program.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, totally.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, if you have a friendship or your your close relationship with Henry family.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 6: Should then and and you pay for it, so you should get your paper on time. And actually we do have I can talk to folks at work tomorrow and you know, offline I can maybe get a little bit more of your info and you know, won't make sure it gets faced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem. No, what happens is they told me today, I talk when you when you get the Globe person, the people who you talk to about missing your paper or your paper being late, they're not in Dochester. They're in Shoenex, Arizona.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Well what they say is no Boston accent.
Speaker 2: No Boston accent at all. In fact, I have no idea what accent it is. But it's not in Boston accent that I'm certain of. They say, well, you live in an area where we can't redeliver. So I'm thinking they must be like one person sit here in the Cape who has to do the whole cape, and once they miss you, it's like express.
Speaker 6: Oh geez, I'm sorry to hear that. And I am gonna I am going to follow up on this, Dan seriously.
Speaker 2: Well, I really do appreciate it, because I gotta tell you, I love the Globe. I love the Herald. We want to be a newspaper town. And it's very frustrating because look, in this day and age, a lot of people are cutting back on this, cutting back on that. And to me, the Globe is a critical portion of my day, okay, And I really really mean that. And I read everything. I read Chesto in business, i read the sports page Forust Shaughnessy, and I'm gonna be talking with Tara Sullivan about the big Patriots game next. So I love the Globe. Okay, I don't necessarily love the editorial page, but I love the Globe as a newspaper, to be honest with you, and I do, I really do. Anyway, Thanks for letting me have a little bit of fun. I always have you just concerned you're a huge asset to that if they ever ever do anything bad to you, I'm dropping the I'm dropping the subscription.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, Dan, I appreciate that and knocking. Hopefully nothing like that will happen.
Speaker 2: So no, you you you are an m d P.
Speaker 6: Thanks Dan, seriously, I mean seriously, you know I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us tonight.
Speaker 6: And we're looking forward. All right, thank you, Okay, thanks definitely.
Speaker 2: All right, a lot of information there, folks. Then we get back. We're going to talk about something really good, which the Patriots yesterday on to Cincinnati. They won in Cincinnati. Tara Sullivan of the Boston Globe sports columnist who's a great writer and really is a great sports columnist, joins us right after the break here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, one of our guests, as is not available for some reason. We don't know why, but that's the way it works sometimes here on night Side, Tara Sullivan and the Boston Globe. She was gonna tell us maybe she's recovering from too much celebration or just is a little too tired to join us, but we were going to talk about the Patriots victory over Cincinnati yesterday. I think that was a surprise to most of US sports fans. So congratulations to coach Mayo, who was a really great guy. I had him on the show a few years ago. He had had a dog who was not treated well when that dog was put in a kennel. He's a really he's a great coach. I think certainly what he did on Sunday was great, and he's also a great individual, a great human being, and obviously his team responded very well yesterday. Now, when we get back on the other side of the nine o'clock News, we're going to talk about a story that went front and center today. It has been a story that's been around about a year. Story that big prostitution ring that was running out of Cambridge, Watertown, Massachusetts. Cambridge, Massa in Massachusetts, Watertown, Massachusetts and also in a suburb just outside of Washington, d C. A high end prostitution ring. And there are about twenty eight alleged customers of that ring who, under no circumstances understandably want their identities exposed. And there was a hearing today in front of the Massachusetts State Supreme Court in which it was argued that there should be not only a hearing but that information should be public records. So it was sort of like balancing the interest of the public in knowing because and I'll explain on the other side of the nine why the argument is that is an interest in the public knowing versus the right of privacy of these individuals customers, who, as the US Attorney in Massachusetts mentioned last November when the diamonds came down that as customers, they are breaking the law as well. So we'll get to all of that, and then later on tonight, beginning at ten o'clock, we will preview tomorrow night's presidential debate between former President Donald Trump and current Vice President Kamala Harris. And we want to know what you think is going to happen, and I think it's going to be very interesting. We will broadcast that debate live tomorrow night at the ABC feed will be here beginning at nine o'clock right until the end of debate, about an hour and a half till ten thirty. We'll get back to all of that right after the nine o'clock news on Night Side