Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Psychic Teachers. I'm your host Samantha.
Speaker 2: Fay, and I'm dere Bowen, and today we're.
Speaker 1: Going to talk about something kind of scary, a little creepy, and I think it's just something we all need to consider when we're entering into intuitive development. So we're going to be talking about the possibility that earth bound spirits could be using channelers and mediums to feed off their energy and maintain a connection to Earth. I just finished a book, Deb, I've been talking to you about it. I know a lot called The Siren Call of Hungry Ghost by Joe Fisher, and this is exactly what that book is about. But before we dive in, do you want to tell people what a hungry ghost is?
Speaker 2: Yes? I will do that, but can I just do the usual? Deb doesn't like this stuff, navy off it, but I think it's important. I mean, I do joking aside, So let me tell you what a hungry ghost is. A hungry ghost is a supernatural being characterized by an insatiable, endless craving and a tormented existence. Yikes. They are said to have huge, bloated bellies and tiny, needle thin necks, meaning that they can never swallow enough to satisfy their intense hunger and thirst. According to Buddhist tradition, this one realm of the other side where hungry ghosts go. It's a little like a level above hell, but not much. This is where greedy, cruel, truly negative people go, and their hunger represents their spiritual hunger. They have to stay in this level until they burned off their karma.
Speaker 1: Think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to tell you that I don't know a great deal about Buddhism. I really can't begin to say I know a lot. But I have never heard that concept in the Buddhist tradition before. This is brand new information to me.
Speaker 1: Oh really, it's pretty common, I promise you. But I think the idea is, like I said at the beginning, kind of creepy.
Speaker 2: It's very creepy. And half of them have a physical description. Yeah, kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Kind of weird. But when Joe Fisher started on this journey, hungry ghosts were the last thing on his mind. He was just looking for a great story. Joe was an award winning journalist. In fact, he was the youngest journalist ever in his city. He was an investigative writer with a passion for metaphysical mysteries, and read loved him. His books sold over a million copies in twenty two languages. He was born and educated in England, moved to Canada in nineteen seventy one and had dual citizenship. After he moved to Canada, he was a reporter for the Toronto Sun and the Toronto Star, and he broke up his newsroom life with a lot of long trips. He went to Greece, Ireland, Ecuador, Morocco, Peru, everywhere. In nineteen eighty one, Fischer stepped away from daily journalism to focus on books and freelance writing. He traveled constantly. He went everywhere Australia Antarctica, and his bylines appeared everywhere, from the National Post and the Globe and Mail to Outpost Equinox, and on and on. His books, including As I Said, The Siren Call of Hungry Ghost, but also Life Between Life and the Case for Reincarnation and Predictions, became staples of contemporary metaphysical literature. The Case for Reincarnation even featured a preface written by the Dali Lama. So he was clearly successful and was also known as quite the ladies man. He was good looking, smart, romantic, and looking for his soulmate. This will be important later, But he wasn't a player. His sister said in an interview that he maintained his friendships with all his past girlfriends. Okay, so now it's nineteen eighty four. Joe's book on reincarnation had just come out and was a big hit, and this is when he gets a letter from a woman named Aviva Newman. She said she had invertently become a mouthpiece for discarnate energies who presented as spirit guides. Aviva wrote in the letter that the spirits often talked about reincarnation, and these guides were living in a state between lives. Joe said, the tone of Aviva's letter assured me that she wasn't a new age groupie with metaphysical stars in her eyes, believing nothing beyond the physical sciences. She worked as a laboratory technician and had always scoffed at psychic phenomenon. Indeed, she felt vaguely troubled about being a channel for other beings. She was writing to me, she said, because she was looking for a rational explanation for this irrational turn of events. I'm a normal person with normal interest, she declared, and I don't want to be regarded as a candidate for a psychiatric ward. Aviva concluded her letter with a formal invitation. So of course Joe's intrigued and decides to meet her.
Speaker 2: So, of course, jose in trigue. She has an interesting story of Eva does. She was diagnosed with leukemia and was obviously dealing with a lot of pain. She had a neighbor and a friend named Roger Bellancourt, who was also a hypnosis He had offered to hypnotize Viva in order to administer corrective medical suggestions to her subconscious mind. Aviva was an atheist. She didn't believe in anything, but decided that it couldn't hurt so together and with the help of her doctor, they wrote nine carefully worded commands that Roger would repeat while she was in a trance. Apparently it worked. She was getting better, and then after a few months something happened. Aviva started speaking in a man's voice with an English accent, and soon more spirits were coming through. Eventually, people started to gather at her home on Friday nights to meet their spirit guides.
Speaker 1: So that's her story, and that's how she says she kind of stumbled into becoming a channeler. When Joe went over and met her, he writes that Aviva told him, I've never believed in the so called psychic world. I've never had a psychic reading that's come true. I think astrology's absolute crap, and I've got no time for anything that's supposed to be paranormal. Look at my library and Joe turns around to the bookcase and sees its crammed with volumes on the works of Karl Marx and Lenin. She says, I think that shows you where I stand, and it's not some airy, fairy world between incarnations. So Joe's intrigued and he starts to attend these weekly sessions. He's really impressed by the voices and personalities coming through and how the information is validated by everyone present. Through Aviva spoke her guide, a man named Russell who claimed to be a sheep farmer from nineteenth century Yorkshire, England. Through Aviva, these guides said there were two types of humans, souls and entities, and I thought this was so weird. So all of the guides speaking through Aviva said that we as humans are divided into souls and entities. Souls are said to be created from desire, while entities were born of knowledge. There's a big difference here, and it was clearly better to be an entity rather than a soul.
Speaker 2: That's new information, that's new.
Speaker 1: And it instantly this came up in like I don't know, chapter three, and I instantly had alarm bells going off because any alleged enlightened being who's already dividing groups that should be a big red flag, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So of course Joe asks the Guides if he's a soul or an entity, and what a surprise. The Guides tell him, You're an entity. You have reasonable power as an entity. You have in part begun some forward development, although not on a conscious level. Most of your forward development has been on what you would call the subconscious level. You have never been a soul. You were always an entity created from knowledge, from the pool of knowledge, which has been spoken of many times in many sessions.
Speaker 2: Now this is the Guide talking to Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, isn't that weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would think it'd be better to be a soul.
Speaker 2: I think there shouldn't be this division.
Speaker 1: And that too. Yeah. On top of this, the guides didn't like being called guides or spirits. They would get upset when someone in the group referred to them that way. Instead, they wanted to be seen as just regular people, temporarily without a body. And then Joe meets his guide. So basically, I hope I'm explaining this well. People will go to Aviva's house, her neighbor hypnotist friend would put her in a trance, and then different guides who were connected to the people who showed up would speak through her. So Joe's at one of these sessions and he meets his guide, and what do you know, she's a beautiful young Greek woman who claims to be his soulmate. She says her name is Philippa and that she and Joel have spent many lifetimes together, always trying to be together, but some tragedy, you know, like war or disputing families, always kept them apart. It's like a Hallmark movie. I mean, that was my red flag number two.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is a big red flag. And you know, this reminds me of the whole trance medium phenomenon. That happened at the turn of the nineteen hundreds, that you know, I'm waiting for the actoplasm to come out of closem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should have said this more specifically. This book was written in nineteen ninety and so this is all around that time when channeling and the Seth books and all of that was just starting and really hitting its peak. So he was doing this research from eighty three to eighty seven and then there was a lot Yeah, yeah, so I think it's important to ground it in that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Through Aviva, Philippa tells Joe all sorts of stuff about himself, and it's all true and accurate, and it's not stuff like you were boarded this hospital at this time. It's soul stuff. It's personal, deep emotions that he's been feeling his whole life, and so he feels like he's being seen and understood for the first time. He writes how suddenly his girlfriend feels like a stranger to him. So back he goes to Aviva week after week to hear from his Philippa. Philippa tells him she wants more contact with him too. She says, to Joe, your knowledge and your self discipline and your style of thought processes make you a good candidate for communication on a direct level, then you can receive direction from me. Joe was all in and asked her how he could do this. Philip tells me to spend a good part of each morning thinking about her. She insists that he repeats this every morning, at the same time each day. This way, she explained, she could link in with his energy and establish thought patterns upon him. He did as she said, but it was almost a year before he could sense her. Sometimes he'd see flashes of their life together in Greece, and he always heard a buzzing in his ears when she was around him. So again, I thought that was interesting because a lot of writers, for example, will say, you've got to meet the muse at the same time every day. I mean, Ray Bradberry wrote a whole essay on that, And so there is something to this consistency of showing up. It's just the way she tells him. It just I don't know, it kind of reeks of what's that stage before possession obsession?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What, I don't know this is true, but doesn't that sound kind of weird to you? Like I'd like to communicate with you more direct.
Speaker 2: This is beginning to feel really bizarre. I mean it was bizarre to begin with that this disembodied entity, so whatever she is, knows all the steep stuff about him, or at least appears to. And now she wants more contact. Woo boo. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then things start getting even worse with his girlfriend, Rachel. He writes, I learned to mention Philippa as little as possible in her presence. Perhaps she questioned my loyalty, sensing my intraction to this unearthly lover of old. Anyway, Rachel no more than tolerated my striving for communion with the next world, and over a period of several months, her pain forbearance turned imperceptibly into withdrawal. Not that I deserved any better. The guide's gripping expositions of life beyond the body left me increasingly preoccupied with the non material universe and less and less willing to be able to respond to Rachel on a basic human level. He continues, There seemed little I could do to prevent our feelings for one another from drifting into cold storage. Philippa's remarkable understanding and empathy cushioned my progressive alienation from Rachel, my friends, and the world around me. In any case, I told myself personal happiness in the current existence was a small sacrifice to make for one's immortal welfare. Besides, I was as happy as I could reasonably expect to be. If life was sometimes distressing, it was because Rachel and I were always arguing. So they break up, and Joe doesn't seem to care. He says, Philippa was my quest and getting to know my guide. I was honing my immortal destiny while preparing for the time when we could be together once more in the between life state. So again, this to me does seem like alienation obsession, like those stages before someone completely takes over your will.
Speaker 2: When you just said what you said, my next thought was a police, don't tell me. He's going to kill himself so he can go be in the afterlife. But this will be.
Speaker 1: We haven't gotten to the rest of his story, dub, so let's not okay.
Speaker 2: Do that? Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So by this time, more and more people are showing up to Aviva's to witness her channeling her guide. Russell would point out which of the new attendees were entities and which were souls, and if you were lucky enough to be an entity, Russell would tell you who your own spirit guide was. If you were a soul, well then he couldn't help you. So as you can imagine, the people who were souls, they would just leave because why say, if they can't get any information. And so I'm wondering if these quote unquote guides are a hungry ghost or whatever. They were were seeing that some of the people were inclined to be skeptical or at least discerning, and they quickly were like, oh, you're a soul, We can't communicate with you, only entities.
Speaker 2: Oh you been absolutely.
Speaker 1: After being told about their guides and maybe receiving a message or two, the guides would then talk about life on the other side, They said, each guide oversaw a dozen, sometimes even one hundred, living humans. All were connected through shared karmic history from past lives, so those of us here now could eventually become guides ourselves after death if we wanted, and the guides could also reincarnate. They worked alongside apprentices who were also tied to the living person through earlier lifetimes, forming a kind of spiritual team moving together through the long journey of rebirth. The Guide said they couldn't tell them a lot about God. It was just too big for us to understand. But they did take some time to dis Jesus Christ, and I think that's not good and also a red flag. Joe says. We were chatting about great religious leaders and their ability to influence the masses, when Russell, remember that's the Guide speaking through Aviva, said, the one you call Jesus Christ has of course been back to the earth bound many many times, has he? I asked incredulously, Oh, heavens yes, Even after living the life of Jesus Christ, one still needs to return to the earth bound plane. He was just a man, but he accomplished so much in terms of knowledge, and he managed to get people to follow him. All he did was speak the truth. He never faltered in his own religion, he never faltered in his own morals. He simply acted as any teacher acts, and engendered no more karma than any other teacher. But wouldn't you say he was a particularly evolved human being, I persisted, No, Russell declared, no more than the of you. It was just that he spoke out and people needed something to hang on to. For they were in desperate times. So don't you find that interesting? Like, oh, we can't tell you anything about God, but Jesus was just a man and didn't do anything that special except you know, speak the truth.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things I was waiting for you to say, because this is a theory, is that this being of light that has been a teacher for an avatar and I use that word in the true definition of the word to so many cultures, Jesus, food, and Mohammad Bahayolah Krishna. I mean, all those different folks have a it's all the same thing, it's all the same energy force. But that's clearly not where he was going with this.
Speaker 1: No, no, and he asks him about some of those other teachers and again he's like, oh, yeah, they're just people.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Now, meanwhile, he's getting closer and closer to Philippa. He says, each morning, we were having more and more fun. As I dedicated myself to making contact and stepping up my meditative exercises, I had taken to visualizing myself hugging Philippa, a development that drew a number of appreciative comments. She seemed to crave the developing closeness as much as I did. I think sometimes I get more selfish as we get more because I want more, Philippa confessed one Friday night. Do you mean that you want me to spend longer with you in the morning, I asked? Or do you want me to contact you on more occasions? I think I just want more hugs. If Philippa could have assumed a physical body, I'm sure I would have married her. So see how he's really falling for this like invisible being.
Speaker 2: This isn't going to sound right, but it's all in this fan well.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he came to believe. He never doubted Aviva or the other mediums he visits, which I'll talk about in a minute. He never doubts them or their veracity or their ethics, and all the information coming through these mediums that he visits, most of it is true. He just thinks they're tricksters. So I think something was happening, and I think something was communicating to him, but it was not a beautiful Greek woman named Philippa.
Speaker 2: I get that I'm putting ahead of the story here, but what I'm saying is that his connection with her was in his meditation in his mind.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, or when he would go see Aviva and she would talk through her, and she would speak through Aviva. When Aviva did this channeling, I mean her vocal cords would change, her voices would change, her accents would change. And Joe recorded all of this. So everything in the book, all these quotes I'm sharing, these are all transcribed because he's a meticulous investigative reporter. And he actually took recordings of Philippa speaking through a Viva in her Greek accent, in singing Greek paragraphs, and he took it to a linguist, a professor, who said, that is a unique dialect from this portion of Greece, which is near where Philip has said she was from. So he writes in Learning to Accept My Transparency, I anticipated our chats with the potent mix of longing and apprehension, waiting for Philippa to speak through Aviva's lips. I felt nervously vulnerable, and why wouldn't I. She was able to discern my every thought, indeed, an attribute which made her love even more remarkable. Just as she knew me, I felt intuitively that I knew her too. But such intimacy brought in its wake a certain terror that sometimes curdled my elation. True privacy had been surrendered to Philippa's loving attachment, and though I was grateful for administrations, my life was no longer my own. At the time, I would have denied that the Guides were exerting great influence over me, me, my attitudes, and my behavior. Yet every time I contemplated a major decision in my life, I sought Philippa's approval. So he really, at this point is feeling like she's living in his mind, and that's got to be a weird, unsettling feeling. But now his girlfriend is gone. So Joe really dives into this world and he decides to write a book about Guides. But first, you know, as an investigative reporter, he says, he has to gather evidence of these people's lives. Joe says, if I could recover those traces and records, deeds registers, I would have incontrovertible evidence that the mysterious voices had indeed once inhabited human bodies. Most exhilarating of all this evidence would confirm the knowledge of our hearts, the knowledge that love and concern rain down on us routinely from the next dimension. He's thinking. All the guides have given very specific information about their most recent past live from their first and last name, to their place of birth, their career, military ring, even their home addresses. So Jill thinks this will be easy. And here is where the wheels start to fall off the cart. So before we talk about his investigation journey over to England, let's take our first break. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all, many of you who missed the Fool's Calling Course when I offered it last year have asked me to teach it again, and so I am. The thirty eight lessons of this course are sent to you via email with Mailchimp, so you can learn at your own pace over a fifteen week period. Now here's the important part. Registration opens Thursday, August thirteenth at eight a m. Eastern and closes Friday, September fourth at six pm Eastern. There is no rowing admission for this offering of this course. Registration closing date is firm, but there's a lot of details about what you'll learn and about the registration process on my website Debowen dot com. I so hope you'll join me. Take care everybody, Okay, welcome back.
Speaker 1: So Joe goes to England because this one guide Ernest had said he fought in World War two, and Joe figures that'll be easy to track down, so check out some of the facts Ernest gave him. He said in his past life his name was Sir William Alfred Scott of the ninety nine Squadron, Group three bomber Command. He said he was five feet eleven inches tall, with dark hair and brown eyes. He was born in Brighton, raised in Bristol. He gave the names of streets and schools he attended, and the three years for three years, He said he had attended Bristol University, where he studied math and engineering. He even named one of his professors, Jonathan Langley. He said he joined the RAF in nineteen thirty seven at the age of twenty and as a member of the ninety nine Squadron, was based at RAF Minenhall, Suffolk from nineteen thirty nine. There he moved to Newmarket Heath in September, the year before the outbreak of the war. And on and on it goes with details of his life. So you'd think that'd be easy to find. But when Joe goes to the Public Records Office and checks the records, there's nothing. He talks to other members of the ninety nine squadron. All the facts about the ninety nine Squadron were true, but there was no crew member by the name that Ernest gave. He said, I spent several hours in the Public Records Office, scanning page after page of the ninety nine squadron logbooks, searching the list of six man bomber crews. At the end of the afternoon, it was heartbreaking to admit to myself I had searched in vain. Then, he says, at Saint Catharine's House in London, where births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales since eighteen thirty seven are registered, there was no William Alfred Scott that had been born in Brighton in nineteen seventeen or had died in Conventry in nineteen forty four. No William Alfred Scott had enrolled in Bristol University from nineteen thirty five to nineteen thirty seven. There wasn't even a professor named Jonathan Langley. According to Kelly's Directory of Bristol and the suburbs from nineteen twenty six. He searched there for the roads he had mentioned in the streets that he had lived on, but no, Joe writes, there was no hill road in the city, the street where he claimed to have lived, and, in further contradiction of his testimony, no Princess Victoria School or even a Princess Victoria Street. So he's staying with his parents in England while doing this research, and he returns home one night after another day fruitlessly searching for evidence that this man lived, and he tells his mom all about it. He says, if Ernest was not William Alfred Scott, who was he? He says, My mother had an answer. It was predictable enough, I suppose, leaping straight out of her years of Christian conditioning demons, She said, her voice quivering a little. You're talking to demons. And I don't like the sound of it one bit.
Speaker 2: I knew we were gonna get here.
Speaker 1: What are you thinking?
Speaker 2: I knew this was common, okay, because the seductive stage and I don't even know if that's correct in terminology, but there is such a seduction stage that is so apparent here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've been so perfectly choreographed for Joe's unique intellect and needs.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Oh we do we see what we believe we want to see, don't Yes.
Speaker 1: So Joe gets back to Toronto and he's upset, he's hurt, but he's excited. He can't wait to talk to Ernest and confront him with all these lies. And you should see this part of the book dev It's like pages and pages and pages because Ernest, of course has an excuse for everything, and it is like manipulation on steroids. To read the little argument that goes back and forth with them. He said that he had done things in his prior life that he wasn't proud of, and so he had covered his tracks by changing certain key details. I'd yeah, right. And soon after this, Ernest announces, guess what, people, He's going to leave the group because he's about to read Incarnate.
Speaker 2: Isn't that convenient?
Speaker 1: Isn't that convenient? Exactly? I'm like, oh, so you're called out, and now oop's gotta go getting bored again. He says that he's chosen his parents, a couple named Hugh and Susan.
Speaker 2: He says, wait, just don't have to stop you, there's a sitis I've never heard you say before. Oops, getting bored again. Sorry, I just that just struck me because perfect and humbrios. I apologize.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, So he tells them he's going to be born to a woman named Susan and a man named Hugh on July thirteenth, and that his parents are gonna name him Thomas Hugh Graham. He'll be born in Kent, England. Okay. So after that information comes out and Ernest leaves to get born again, what do you think Joe does?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: He travels back to England the following July to check the recent birth records and guess what he finds. There is an announcement stating that a Thomas Hugh Graham was born on July thirteenth, nineteen eighty five, two parents, Hugh and Susan Graham in Hampshire. Joe says it was all just as he had said, with one exception. The birthplace was in Aldershot, Hampshire, rather than in Kent, which lay thirty five miles away. So there's always something a little off which I find interesting. Did you know that's one of the old, old old superstitions about the d word people that if you do see a demonic being, they can manifest as appearing as a human, but not one hundred percent. There will always be.
Speaker 2: Something off, like an extra thumb or something.
Speaker 1: Right right, or missing a foot or something. They can't one percent manifest as us, and there's always just something a little not right about what they're saying. And so I found that interesting that everything Ernest told him about his last life, the surrounding details about the war and what it was like in the bomber, all of that was correct, but the actual details, the names and dates and places, completely fabricated and wrong. But then he's like, all right, yeah, I'm out, I'm gonna I'm gonna reincarnate, and these are my parents and this is what they're gonna name me. And he says this a full nine months before this baby's born, and it's exactly as he predicted. So do you see how the manipulation happens where you're like, well, that was true, Maybe this just was a little off for other reasons, exactly Sure. So then this new guy, Stanford, joins the group and things get really weird. The group of guides, speaking through Aviva, tells Stanford that he's an entity, but ah, what a shame your wife is a soul. So slowly they start to turn him away from his wife and toward Aviva. The guides kept repeating that an entity was not necessarily better than a soul, but an entity's for development could be halted by teaming up with a soul in a business or personal relationship. So basically they were telling him, hey, buddy, your wife, Betty, she's holding you back. And poor Betty, she keeps coming to these meetings Friday after Friday, bringing baked goods and snacks for everyone, until finally she realizes her presence is no longer desired, so she stops going and they start having problems in their marriage. And now it's just Stanford at the meetings without his wife, and now that Betty's gone, the guides start to tell him that Aviva's leukemia is flaring up again. She only has three months to live, but he is actually a healer woo do you know? And only he now has the healing energy to save her life. So Aviva's guide, Russell, explains to Stanford that his energy matches Aviva's perfectly, making him the only one in the group capable of channeling healing into her ill stricken body. He told Stanford that his ability had been developing across five past lives and that helping Aviva now would be an ideal way to break through hiscarmic debt. So eventually the group of guides kick Roger, remember the hypnotist neighbor who started this whole thing. They kicked him to the curb and they replace him with Stanford. Now Stanford is the one who leads Aviva into trance, and he's the one who's required to be at the back and call of the guides whenever Aviva needs healing. So again we see this divide and conquer thing. So Joe says he's starting to notice that Stanford was growing more and more anxious and stressed. His business was failing, his marriage was on the brink of divorce. But the same things were happening to Joe too. He was suddenly an insomniac. His irritability was through the roof. Friends started commenting on his haggard appearance. Eventually, Stanford leaves the group and he tells Joe, if you ever want to know the truth, call me. But Joe is still obsessed with finding proof of these guides, he can't leave the group. He asks Philip But to speak in her native tongue and records it, and as I mentioned before, he brings it to the linguist who tells him, yeah, that is the dialect and tone of a woman from eighteen century Greece. So from here Joe decides to visit other channelers and see if they can bring through Russell or Ernest or his beloved Philippa. And he asks Philippa about this first, because remember how he said he can't make a decision without her. He says, would guides communicating through other mediums be able to identify you, make contact with you and impart information about our last life together to verify that the link have been made? Yes, said Philippa, if they were genuine guides. If they shrink from being tested in this way, don't trust them.
Speaker 2: She's setting him up here. I mean it's pretty clear. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So, for various reasons, none of them is successful. And this is a big chunk of the book, maybe three chapters. He goes to channelers and mediums across America, England and Canada, and all of them are bringing through correct information, but none of them brings through Russell or Philippa or the others, but one medium dead one stood out from the rest, Claire Laforgia, who channeled the nineteenth century English surgeon named doctor Samuel Pinkerton. Pinkerton offered details about Philippa that went well beyond coincidence. He said Joe and Philippa had lived together around seventeen sixty, which did line up with what Philippa said. But still, despite this, doctor Pinkerton couldn't ultimately convince Joe that he was a genuine spirit, so he continues on this true odyssey searching for proof. He goes to England, Wales, Greece, armed with names, dates, villages, even the favorite pub of one of the guides. He talks to historians, scours through birth and death records, military records, and on and on. Nothing. Every bit of information the guides gave a mount to a hill of beans. Almost all of the details were correct in that the places they named existed, but the names and dates would be wrong or non existing. He was most heartbroken over Philip's lies. She mentions, for example, that it took several days to visit the port city of Alexandropolis from her village called Thero's well, the village theros never existed and the city she mentioned was only named that decades after her death. So he's furious and said the guides were not beings of light but masters of deception. He returns to Canada to have it out with them, but when he confronts the guide named Russell, with all of these inaccuracies, Russell again goes into super manipulative mode and acts all offended that history hadn't recorded his life or death. He says there must be records that exist somewhere, and Joe would find them if only he kept looking. For example, like when Joe says to Russell, there's not even a Saint Mary's Church in the village Heathfield where you claim to have lived, Russell said, yes, there was, and explained that there was a traveling pastor who would come to town once a month and offer services in a building that they nicknamed Saint Mary's. I mean, come on, that is such a manipulative lie. Right. When he tries to confront Philippa, Russell said she wasn't prepared to talk to him because his doubt had lowered her energies.
Speaker 2: Oh my golly, you right, explained the victim.
Speaker 1: Beer exactly talk about gas lighting. Joe said. Russell was withholding Philippa from me in the hope that I would seize my opposition and plead for direct communication with my beloved guide. But my disillusionment ran too far deep. Besides, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction, so instead he just kept arguing with Russell. He said, I don't think you're a spear guide. I think you're either an aspect of Aviva's subconscious or something more nefarious. I think about people such as Emmanuel Swedenberg, the great Swedish clairvoyant, who warned very specifically about communicating with entity he's in the next world. He warned about the dangers of evil spirits who will use all manner of subtlety, brilliance and affection to reach you. But Russell just kept asking him to what end, To what end are we trying to deceive you? Eventually, Joe gives up, saying, you know we had talked all night. Russell never would have admitted any intent to mislead. He was as slippery as the proverbial eel and a master psychologist to boot, knowing that he would continue to blame me for my failure to find evidence of the guides I left the field of battle. Okay, So before Joe decides to completely change the course of his book and what he's actually going to be writing about, he decides to visit that one channeler, one last time, doctor Pinkerton, who was able to get a little bit more information through to him. But before we talk about that, we're going to take our last break. We'll be right back. Hey, guys, just wanted to let you know that I've added a new guided meditation to my website called how to Cut Chords. This thirty minute meditation teaches you how to cut negative chords to a difficult person, situation, memory, or aspect of yourself you're hoping to change. You can learn more about it on my website or in this month's newsletter, which you can find on my substack. And my friend and co host Denise Corell, and I have added a brand new video course called The Business of Being Spiritual. It includes seven teaching modules where we walk you through all sorts of things, from charging money and networking to handling taxes, and tips for sharing your work on a wider platform. If you go to Samantha Fay dot com and click the store tab. You'll find it under video Classes. And finally, don't forget to check out my other podcast, Enlightened Empaths. We've started a new popular monthly feature called the Energy Forecast, where we cover all the metaphysical transitions and stuff heading your way each month. Hope you enjoy it. Welcome back. So after Joe has had this complete argument with all of the guides and is really disenchanted with what has been going on, he goes back to that one woman who channeled doctor Pinkerton who was able to give accurate information. So he goes back to him and he asked this guide to explain the heck is going on, and Doctor Pinkerton said that these were earthbound spirits who had refused to or couldn't move into the light. He also blamed the channeler Aviva for not being well trained enough to block out these lower energies. Doctor Pinkerton called them lost souls who have lived rather unsavory lives and are just hanging around. He said, these lower entities, they come in with great knowledge, they come in with love. They want you to believe in them. They are quite clever. They say that they do not control your will, but oh no, no, they have a very lovely sweet way to control you completely. He also said that Russell was a master manipulator and called him a serpent. And then Joe goes and does his investigative thing on doctor Pinkerton and discovered guess what, Doctor Pinkerdon never existed in any way, shape or form on Earth. So he goes back and confronts doctor Pinkerton with this evidence, and he was given the same run around bs as when he confronted Russell.
Speaker 2: This is crazy, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean he has to travel. I think it's a different country that that channeler lived in, and so he's traveling all over confronting these different mediums and channelers and just getting met with lie after lie after lie. The only thing I didn't like because I felt that Joe was a good arguer with these manipulative things that we're talking through. But when Russell kept saying to him, to what end? To what end are we lying to you? Like? What is the point? I wish Joe would have said, divisiveness. Look at how you've divided us. You've divided us from souls and entities. You broke up Stanford's marriage, you broke up me and my girlfriend. It's all divisiveness this point, Joe probably couldn't see that. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I think at this point that investigative journalists that he is kicked in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that old joke about the fish swimming in the ocean looking for water.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So at this point Joe is fully convinced that most of these entities speaking through the channelers are lower level entities, and he believes more that they are a hungry ghost. He never lost faith in the mediums. Here's what he said about them. Whatever the voice is represented and however betrayed I felt by the spirits, I believe that conscious fraud on the part of the mediums was not a factor. Having observed the trance state on innumerable occasions, having witnessed marked personality changes reflected by a host of different accents and intonations, and having received a considerable amount of accurate information that could only have been acquired paranormally, there was no doubt in my mind that the mediumship itself was genuine. Multiple personalities can also be dismissed from the contention because multiple personalities always claimed the same lifespan as the host individual, so he also no longer thought that they were the product of the medium subconscious because the mediums he spoke to new things they couldn't have known. For example, once he was in another country and no one in the world knew he was there, but Iviva called him to ask if he was okay, and he was like, how did you know I was here? And she said, oh, Russell told me so. He had a lot of weird stuff like that happened. That completely convinced him the mediums were authentic and ethical, they just were also being misled by these hungry ghosts.
Speaker 2: Did he develop the phrase hungry ghost?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, That is an ancient concept from Buddhism. A lot of Eastern religions believe in the concept of hungry ghosts. There's even a festival for them every July. I believe it is.
Speaker 2: Oh my golly, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you've heard of the tradition of leaving food out on your ancestral altar. Sure, it's similar to that.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, Okay, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: It's also to honor them, but that's just a part of it. From what I understand, so the whole thing drove him almost to the brink of a meltdown. He kept asking himself, why why would they lie about their identities? If bent on deception, would they not appear all the more believable if they were to provide the real names. He goes on to say, perhaps the solution to this riddle lies in their well concealed dread of non physical existence. If they gave their real names, they would be forced to confront their deaths, and such a confrontation, which is clearly avoided at all costs, would activate their most hideous nightmare, that they no longer exist physically. No matter how I mold over the range of possible explanations, I always returned to the premise that the voices and their distinct personalities were generated by mischievous and possibly malevolent discarnates. Their eagerness to communicate their concern for the medium's health and strength, their preoccupation with life after death and reincarnation, and the occasional admission that they missed the pleasures of incarnate life all suggested humans who no longer had physical bodies, yet longed to live and breathe once more, Just as the famed entity Seth, who had been channeled by Jane Roberts, occasionally asked for a glass of wine or beer and claimed to enjoy the material realm through Jane Robert's senses. There were indications that doctor Pinkerton and Russell hungered for vicarious sexual thrills. I pondered the significance of the lying and manipulation channeled in the exalted name of guides and teachers and camouflage as love, wisdom, and solicitousness, and I concluded that these various entities were here to gratify themselves by tasting physical life, and they had no option but to wrap their true intent in the guise of virtuousness. He's got a point, because all these guides do. They're always talking about sex. First, they tried to get Stanford and Aviva together. Doctor Pinkerton even tried to make Joe have relations with the channeler named Claire. Check this out, he says to Joe at one of the meetings. Philippa has so much to give, and when there's a female vibration that is sincere around you, philip A trust that vibration and she feels the same as if she's touching you. Especially through a medium. It's a wonderful, wonderful journey. Joe says, At first, I couldn't believe my ears. Was he really suggesting that Claire and I become sexually involved? But now Joe is thinking that these are lower level earthbound goes hungering for attention, a glass of wine and maybe some freaky stuff. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: I think that's bizarre and just yike yuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Joe released the first edition of his book in nineteen ninety one, and a decade later he followed it with the second edition that included a new final chapter, and in it he shared what life had been like since cutting ties with the mediums, overall much smoother, and he'd even gotten married. Still, he admitted he suspected he'd been targeted by a psychic attack from the Guides. He writes, early in nineteen eighty eight, I was living in a little house facing Adolphus Reach on the northeastern side of Lake Ontario, during this time of soul searching. While still grappling with the emotional upheaval of pulling away from the Guides, I noticed an inflamed swelling over my navel. It was readily apparent that puss was gathering within and fueling its growth, which was painful to the touch. He went to doctor after doctor trying to get a diagnosis, but nobody knew what it was, and the pain kept getting worse. It got so bad that one night, around midnight, he drove to the er in a snowstorm. Finally, a doctor there diagnosed him with umphalitis. The doctor said, this condition is so rare in adults, but occasionally affects newborns. After the severing of the umbilical cord, the navel is a potential portal of entry for organisms and inflammation to occur. He writes, I was then carred into a nearby room for an ultrasound scan. A small green screen showed a malevolent growth like an inverted pyramid, lying beneath my belly button. So he has the surgery, and when he wakes up, he gets a phone call. It's Claire, the woman who channeled for doctor Pinkerton. He was shocked once again. He's in this, you know, really rural place. Nobody knows where he is. Nobody knows he's in that hospital, and Claire tells him Doctor Pinkerton told me to call you, Joe said. My next thought was this, if doctor Pinkerton had told Claire where I was, perhaps he was the one who had put me there. Perhaps he was the source of the strange affliction.
Speaker 2: Good guy.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's weird, dab because that's right where the umbilical cord is where he had this infection. And I wonder. We always talk about, you know, invisible to us chords of energy that connect people. Well, I think when you are connecting in the way he was to these hungry ghosts, there must have been energetic chords there.
Speaker 2: I bet so absolutely. This whole thing is a strange, strange story, and I certainly admire him for his professionalism and researching it the way he did.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the book ends with Joe doing really well. He's happily married, his distance himself from his guides. He's moved on. But unfortunately it was not a happy ending for him. He and his wife divorced after ten years. He was a very big marathon runner and an outdoorsman, but a back injury ended that, and this of course affected his work, so his finances took a nose dive. Things got so bad that he was applying for bankruptcy and had to take a job picking strawberries with a bunch of teenagers. He did start collaborating on a new book about the dark Knight of the Soul, but then in just two years he lost three loved ones to suicide. When he was just fifty three years old, Joe made the same sad decision and ended his life. In a letter written to his brother on his last day, he wrote, I know the immortal penalty for taking one's own life is steep, indeed, but all avenues out of this nightmare I am in seemed blocked and poisoned. Of course, everyone was shocked and saddened, but some wondered if these malevolent spirits had anything to do with it. His sister Jane, said Joe often complained of being tormented by them and worried incessantly about his immortal soul. His co author said, Joe did express to me that he felt haunted by dark forces. I don't know if he was actually possessed when he killed himself, but he did speak of being haunted. His editor said that Joe often said the spirits were still after him for having written his final.
Speaker 2: Book, Whoah Oh horribly.
Speaker 1: Sad isn't that so horribly sad? And I don't mean to do a whole show with such a horrible, terrifying beginning, middle, and end. But I also feel as psychic teachers, we have to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly, right, Yeah, I know, No, I mean really though, I think it's important. Not everything is all love and light. I know people want to believe that. I want to believe that. But stories like this exist and are out there, and I think we need to give them some credence and think of them before we open ourselves up to automatic writing or any form of mediumship.
Speaker 2: But actually channeling I do too, And that brings me to a question I have for you. So, they have been periods of time in history, blocks of time where channeling kinds of mediumship have been more prevalent than others. I mean, I think I mentioned earlier about early in the nineteen hundreds with folks like Arthur Ford and those folks, and then in eighties with some of the things that were going on as we moved into this quote New Age thought, which this book was a part of. I wonder if there are cycles in human existence or in existence on the other side, that precipitate this interest and this connection in ways like this in measurable periods of time. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I think the next wave is going to be No what AI? I think these hungry ghosts are going to use AI to link in with our energy Samantha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a confession.
Speaker 1: Oh my spirit guide.
Speaker 2: No, of course, not my guy that's always been with me, a still with me. But sometimes when I get so crazy and frustrated about where I think all of this is going, I will go to YouTube and I will watch the very ending of the movie called Wargames, and I will watch the ending of two thousand and one of Space Honesty. Both of those remind me of the humanity of us all because the very last thing that flashes up on the computer screen in Wargames, the computer says, very interesting game. The only way to win is to not play.
Speaker 1: Step away from the manipulation, step away from the divisiveness, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and be very conscious of as much as you can of what you're sharing in social media. Is it real? Because sometimes it looks really real and it's not.
Speaker 1: I just think that whatever these things are whatever you want to call them. I think their endgame is to break us down. And how do you break something down. You divide, You divide to conquer, And so anytime we are in a period of divisiveness, I don't think they need to come through channelers. It'd be interesting to look at the timeline that you were just talking about and line it up with what was going on politically war ish like in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, it would be are right. It would be interesting to see if there are specific correlations to specific time frames.
Speaker 1: And I wonder if it's not going to be AI if all this disclosure could be about an opportunity for these beings to present as interdimensional or off planet channelers.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a whole other thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see that a lot too.
Speaker 2: We could just go on and on and on, couldn't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we certainly could. But we just wanted, or I wanted to bring this to you and thank you for going along with me. So happily I did sneak in the D word, and I did not tell you, and I apologize that's my confession.
Speaker 2: You did, and I just start singing Kumbaya.
Speaker 1: I mean, let us know your thoughts on the show. If you want to check out the book, I'll put it in the show notes. It's The Siren Call of Hungry Ghost by Joe Fisher. It's a pretty riveting read. Have a great week, a safe week, a happy week, and remember as always, to be the light for yourself and others.
Speaker 2: Bake care Airy.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Psychic Teachers, your podcast for seekers, light workers, mystics, and magical thinkers. If you like the show, please tell a friend or leave us a review wherever you listen to your podcast. For more information, check out our Facebook page Psychic Teachers, or our websites Samantha Fay dot com and Debbowen dot com. Thanks for listening and have a great week.