Speaker 1: And now Kevin Gordon filling in for Brian Thomas on fifty five KOs the Talk Station.
Speaker 2: Four minutes after five o'clock, Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five k see the Talk Station. I guess, as the introduction had explained, I didn't need to repeat myself there, but okay I did. If you check my Facebook page, you'll notice that I posted today what my show guests for the day, and follow along with me if you will. We got basically news and views and probably can coax an opinion or two out of me over the next couple hours. Of course, you know I have an opinion. I'm not afraid to use it. Seven o'clock, we've got Chris Fickensure. He is the owner of Cookie Jar Bakery. We'll talk about his ninety seven year old business a Newport, Kentucky institution. At seven thirty five, we're going to be talking to Charlie Coach Coleman. Now he is a former county commissioner in Campbell County and was one of the last I guess conservative voices on Campbell County commission And now it's as as I refer to it, the people's Republic of Campbell County. He is, if you may may not know, he's a coach at Bellevue High School for a number of years, retired from them. Was doing that Northern Kentucky sports Legends on gosh, what was it, I think it was before time Warner, whichever iteration that was. And now he's in the process of writing a book about Northern Kentucky Legends. It's about to be published, so we'll talk about that a little bit. Also at the eight o'clock we're gonna be talking to Matt Donaho. He is the owner president of Madewell Restoration. I met this gentleman at our Christmas party on December the fourth, and we got to talking. It seems we know a lot of the same people. Young man owner of this company, made Well Restoration, and we were talking about this project that they did back in November for a World War Two veteran, and we'll talk about that. I just it was just if it's one of those things that when you talk about companies and people giving back and people doing the right thing this time of the well, actually any time of the year, it's always a good thing. And I thought, you know, what people need to hear about this story and know about this company, and so we'll go on from there. Now as far as the news of the day, I hope you all had a very good, happy and merry Christmas and looking forward to the festivities for the new year. I know that there's a lot of people in the hospitality industry that worked over the holidays and so they get those celebrations get pushed off to the next day or even the weekend. In my situation, we've got our son that lives up in Toledo and our granddaughter. She's got a birthday coming up on January the third, so kind of do something a little closer to that. So they're coming down this weekend and we're gonna be doing a little bit of the Christmas there. We got kids, our other our daughter lives in the Netherlands, and so we did a little facetiming yesterday, so kind of a quiet, quiet, I guess, quiet time around the household yesterday watching a lot of different movies. Got caught up on some of the movies I've been putting off this time of year. I mean, if you've got Christmas, you've got to watch. It's a wonderful life. You got to watch the Christmas Story. You got to at least watch that one time. Binge, what I know they've run that to twenty four to seven. It's a wonderful life was I guess you know they well they've run it a couple of times that I've seen, but we recorded it back in the first part of the Christmas season. Got to watch that. It was a really good, nice relaxing day. Did a little show prep yesterday and got all ready for today, and so I'm looking forward to spending some time with you this morning, taking your phone calls and talking about the issues of the day. Looking at some of the headlines as I do. Well, you got to check the headlines when we first come in in the morning because you never know what is going to be transpiring overnight. You don't know what crazy stuff is going on. But I was surprised to see now usually around the Christmas period that there is always some sort of oh, a terrorist act. Now that you had that car that rammed into that Christmas what they call them Christmas markets over in Europe, and they're still trying to figure out what's going on with that. Obviously it was done on purpose, so an act of terrorism, but I didn't see anything here in the United States that would qualify for that. We had some football games yesterday and there is and I got admit, I was busy doing other things and I didn't watch the games, but there is an awful lot of blowback on Beyonce and Mariah Carey for their performances yesterday. Now I've never well, except for all I want for Christmas is you Mariah Carey. You know, I've never really been a big fan, but I'm not. You know, It's not like I don't like her or anything. It's just that I think she's overrated. I will say that. But the headline that caught my attention was, I guess she was the lead into looking at the video, she was the lead into the Pittsburgh Steelers Kansas City Chiefs game, kind of along the lines of what they do, you know, on Thursday night and Sunday night football, where they do the intro to that, and so they did this with her, and I saw the headline and I thought, oh, well, I'm going to look at this for myself. I'm going to make sure that I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon. I'm not going to base on what other people are saying. And the best description of it was she phoned it in. You could tell she was lip syncing. It wasn't any kind of a live act. It was basically her mouth and the words and doing all the the you know, they had all the different scenes from the times that Pittsburgh and the Chiefs have played, and back and forth in between some of the I guess highlights of some of the past games or highlights of their the different things that the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Kansas City Chiefs have done. And it was kind of like, why waste our time? You know, if you're not going to put any effort into it, if you're not gonna make any effort, why should we even pay any attention to it? And then apparently there was a halftime show by Beyonce, which I watched getting ready for today, and I'm like, what the hell was the point of that? I you know, I am so tired of all the pyrotechnics and all the dancers and all the stuff, the distractions in the back. Remember the good old days when it was just about the music, when it was about the artist performing the song, and then you could actually see what they were doing. But it's all covered up now between the lip syncing, I don't know. I couldn't really tell whether she was lip syncing or I was looking out on my phone. And it's just it's all unnecessary, it's just all fluff. It's just I want to when I go to IF, I IF, and when I go to a concert, I want to watch the band. I want to watch them sing the songs that I like. I don't want all the other distractions. I don't want all the other stuff. And I don't want people sitting next to me singing the words. If I want to go and hear them sing, I will follow them home. I'm here to hear the artist, not somebody else singing. But you know, that's just me. By the way, the phone numbers seven five one three, seven four nine fifty, five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three talk one, eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. And I just it's just I don't know these these artists and what they try to do and how they try to make everybody. It's like, you know, and when you listen to some of these songs on the radio, anymore. It's like, well, what's the difference between this song and somebody else. It's almost like you cannot hear the other people singing, You can't hear the words, you can't hear you know, they all sound alike. It's just annoying to me. And I know that's why I spend too much time, or a lot of time listening to talk radio. Because again, if you're talking about as I've mentioned several times before, if you're talking about reality television, it doesn't get any more real than what we've experienced over the last actually at least twenty four months or better, well, going even back to twenty fifteen when Donald Trump came down that escalator. You talk about the real world experiences and all the carping back and forth and all the accusations and all the lies, all the hoaxes, everything that has gone on, that is better than any reality television show that I think I've ever seen or even heard of. And so when you break down what happens in your real life, that is far more interesting and far more exciting than anything that they could produce on the television. And it's just a I don't know, maybe it's just me maybe I'm just crazy, but you know, we know that already having a little bit difficulties with our computers this morning. I hope not missing any calls right now, but yeah, we'll get it together here during the break or thereabouts. The phone numbers five one, three, seven, four, nine, fifty, five hundred one, eight hundred eighty two three talk one, eight hundred eighty two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KR see the talk stage five nineteen in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KR see the talk station. You know, I cannot wait till January the twentieth. I I have been looking forward to the US for a long time. I get as you may know I do. America struck a network on our sister station, and over the period of the last few years, you look at certain trends as far as what's going on in the energy sector, because again energy effects gas diesel affects the trucking community as well. It affects us in terms of our commute. It affects us at all. The energy prices. If you look at your electric bill, you look at the companies. I mean, isn't there isn't a business that isn't subject to energy price increases. Right here at the station, we've got all the all the lights into the station here, so we've got the electricity there, the electricity that powers some of these manufacturing facilities and keeping lights on there. I don't care if you're a doctor, a lawyer, or a hospital. All of it is based on energy. That's one common dominated throughout the economy. So when the energy prices go up, and when you have an administration like we have as far as the Biden administration that has jumped full uh full on headlong into unproven technology, this green news steal as I call it, as far as wind. So I'm not opposed to those, but if you're going to have those, make it so that it's feasible that it is available, that it is on a basis of where you can use it on an ongoing basis. Don't have a situation where you know what we're what they're experiencing in Europe right now, it's eased up a little bit there over the last couple of weeks, but you had this blast of weather there where it was beginning to be a much colder than anticipated winter, and it really I mean, shoot, we didn't even winter began this pass that we go, well, this past Saturday on the twenty first, at four something like twenty one in the morning, and so we are now officially into winter officially, but if you go back in the Greater Insane Northern Kentucky area, we've had snow flurries, and we've did have I don't think we've really I know, we haven't had any accumulation on the sidewalks. They haven't had to go out and scrape that off from my neighbors and make sure that they're safe. But over in Europe they've had the same thing. They've had a very large cold spell. And along with that, with the fact that they have gone feet first, headlong into this green technology, they've closed a lot of their coal burning power plants, they've started ratcheting back on nuclear energy, and they've started being more dependent upon windmills and solar panels and getting natural gas from Russia. And so when this cold spell came through, the wind wasn't blowing, so the electricity that was available wasn't there, and they had to rely on some of their sources, their backup sources for that. We've seen certain instances where with the solar panels where they are not at certain temperatures, not as efficient as they should be, and so you're not getting the bang for your buck there. And so we've got this all in the favor of this green technology, all in the favor of saving the planet. And as I've mentioned several times before in this probably you've heard this before, where if you look at the environmental movement, it has nothing to do with saving the planet. It has nothing to do with preserving things. As a matter of fact, it has more to do with control. Where you work, how you work, where you live, how you live, how you cook your food, what food you can eat, how far you can drive with these e and everything is all about control. And that has more to do with communism socialism than it does with a free capital and capitalism society. And so I just mashed the two together. Environmentalism has become the new communism. So I just call it climunism. And because of this climunism that has affected so much of the stuff of what we do as opposed to making sure that what is available and that we that of what is being converted or what is being used is ready for prime time. You don't go jumping into something. You don't eliminate a market, You don't eliminate an entire technology or do away with it, or what they call in terms of this demand destruction, where you eliminate a particular segment in favor of something else. And I'll explain a lot about that when we come up coming up, because this whole demand destruction that we keep hearing about is a term that I had not really heard much about until about a year or so ago when they started talking about demand destruction with internal combustion engines, demand destruction as far as coal fire plants and all of the movement towards this green news Steel phone numbers five one, three, seven, four nine, fifty, five hundred one, eight hundred eighty two three talk one, eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KRS the talk station five point twenty nine in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KRC the talk station. As we try to continue to fix our little computer problems here. I believe that the the phone lines are working, so I'll give those phone numbers out rather than teasing you with something that doesn't work. Phone numbers five one, three, seven, four, nine fifty, five hundred one, eight hundred eighty two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound five point fifty on that AT and T wireless phone. So, UH, give us a call here and see what's on your mind. Now again, looking forward to January the twentieth, Uh, I am seeing an awful lot of good. I'm seeing a lot of things that are giving me hope in terms of what is going to transpire. I think that this administration this time around, he knows the ins and out. He knows I think pretty much, who he can trust, who he can't trust, and UH as he attempts to get the UH the economy back on track, as attempts to get everything going again. It's interesting to see some of the comments from the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media. It seems as though that they even though that they have been proven wrong time and time and time again, that somehow they think that people are listening to them. And when you look at the ratings for MSNBC, CNN and realize that their viewers, that they've lost almost fifty percent or more of their viewers, they still haven't gotten it. They still haven't gotten the idea. They still haven't gotten the clue, the fact that whatever they've been regurgitating to the American public, the American public isn't buying it, that they're not paying attention to them anymore. And when you think about what Donald Trump has managed to do since as far as being president and being in the spotlight on you know, NonStop, pretty much since twenty fifteen, is the fact of how many people he has basically embarrassed and pushed off to the side, not the least of which at this point, you know, Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, and Barack Obama, all these people are irrelevant the media. We talk about this, I talk about the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media. They are no longer relevant. You talked about ninety five percent of the coverage of this this man has been negative, and still they were not able to break through and break him down. You go to the law fair and everything you know, it's all the stuff that we have seen for the last nine years. It's just incredible and it's going to be interesting to see what transpires. And of course, you know with these with all these pardons that are coming out from the world, Oh my god, I'll tell you. Well, let's go to the phones real quick. Let's talk to Linda Linda fifty five care see. Uh well, I guess happy day after Christmas. I hope your Christmas went well. Welcome to the program. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 3: Oh our Christmas. Trump in the White House, I know it, I know it. We keep our fingers crashed and nothing happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he might as well be because I think the car will be interesting.
Speaker 3: I think that president that's in the White House checked out when he moved in.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, according to that one report from the Washington or the Wall Street Journal for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I just I called because you have to do all this talking this morning, and I thought, well, I'm going to call him just say something that I heard. You know, Ram Paul comes out with his list of all the terrible spending that they're doing, which I thought was really interesting. And then I heard that they went ahead and passed the money for a new stadium in Washington, and I went, oh, that's good. Now we want to stadium. And I went, oh, that's good too, more tax money. And all I can say is whatever Trump does, he's going to have a hard, hard, hard time doing it. And the American people really have got to stand up and be on these phones with the senators and representatives. I know that that's real important. I learned that in the tea party. You've got to get those slips down there so that they have a stack of them so they say, oh, this is important to the people anyway. And I just called to say happy New Year.
Speaker 2: To you, thanks, thank you so much, you know, And it really doesn't take that much. I mean, if you have, you know, if you know your senator congressman's name, or even if you don't, you can call the switchboard and they'll ask him. They're very, very efficient about that getting you to the right voicemail and you can leave a voicemail or leave a comment and you're not on anybody's radar screen. That's not going to be any blowback to you. And if they get fifteen to twenty five forty phone calls from people, that gets their attention and all this port that we've been seeing and ran Paul God bless them with his festive US report. It is just incredible. If you want to talk about the efficiency as a government, start with that. Start with is that the Office of Management and Budget that every year comes out with some of the wasteful spending and they do their own report. Let's start with those areas. Now that's not going to get us the two trillion dollars, but it's going to be a start.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I cannot help but think that there's with all the empty office space in Washington that we are paying for, just start cutting all of that crap. Yeah, just thinking how much money would go away from our ceiling there that I just think that it's common sense. And I don't think that these senators and representatives they went to school, they're lawyers. They don't have any common sense.
Speaker 2: No, they don't. And I think one of the things is is that these people need to get back to the office. I don't think we shouldn't be having those empty offices. They need to get back to work and they need to be there and be able to and there needs to be something in terms of how productive they are actually being because when you see some of these stories about the what was it a couple of years, four or five years ago that they looked at the Justice Department lawyers and something like ninety five percent of their day was spent looking at porn. Absolutely, I mean, it's just unbelievable. And there's no you know, I question here at the station if I happen to tap on something that there's a couple of those what is it the Sun his paper out of the UK. Sometimes there's some kind of risky risk a pictures on that I you know, I keep trying to stay to the stories instead of some of those pictures that going along with it. Figuring out that somebody's going to look at that and say, hey, Kevin, what the hell you looking at here? And it's just and yet nobody's checking their uh, their search engines or search history and all that. It's just insanity.
Speaker 3: Well, in closing, I'm going to get off of here. I just want to say to the American public or whoever's listening, let's support our president and the administration that he has by being involved. And let's not forget FEMA is not helping North Carolina or Georgia.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Glinda, thank you so much. You have a merry Chris or a happy new Year. We're beyond Christmas now, happy new Year, all right, take care, thank you so much. Yeah, oh I'm late for a break here. Let's give the phone numbers now five one, three, seven, four nine, fifty five hundred one, eight hundred A two three talk one, eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five kr See the talk station five forty two in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five krs. The talk station phone numbers five one, three, seven, four nine, fifty, five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two, five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. You know, when I look at some of these newscasts and I start seeing some of the stuff that's being said by the left, it amazes well, it's laughable anymore. We had what was the big flap last week that uh Elon Muss is the president and they're trying to go Trump into getting upset and trying to poke him a little bit. Yet we've had and we saw the Wall Street Journal report last week that came out that this administration has been checked out within the first couple of months of being sworn into office. The reason he was hidden in the basement in twenty twenty was that he couldn't go on the campaign trail, that he didn't have the mental faculties to do that. They talk about Jill Biden being out on the campaign trail more than him, and yet this was hidden from the people. And you have all of these spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media, and I call them that for a reason. All they do is get the talking points from the DNC or from the podium or whoever, and then because they are liberal themselves, they are going to prop up their guy or their person, and they are going to run with whatever the dialogue that's given to them to regurgitate to us. They're not doing any of this independent analysis. And I have to laugh now when I hear some of these people coming out and saying, gosh, I wish that I had spoken up sooner. Well, right there, that person should immediately be fired because they are not a independent news analyst. At that point, they are not a reporter. They didn't do their job, and why do you think they're going to do their job going forward? When you look at the amount of lies that were told to us about you know, Joe Scarborough, you saw, I'm sure the rant that he did. You know, if you can't handle this fu this is the best And this was a month before he actually within two or three weeks before he exited the stage. As far as open up the door for Kamala Harris, this is the best version of Joe Biden ever, all the lies about he runs rings around people that he is the sharpest one in the room, all of these lies. None of these people, from the person in karreem Jean Pierre, to anybody in the cabinet, there shouldn't be any of these people anywhere connected with our government ever. Again, they have done away with their fiduciary responsibility to the American people. There should have been that twenty fifth amendment that people get together and say that the president is incompetent. And then you know, not that I wanted Kamala Harris to be president. I think that would have been an even bigger disaster. But again, it's the law, it's the way things are supposed to be done, and we have to ask the question. We need to find out who has been making these decisions. I believe that has been Barack Obama pulling the strings. I believe it's people like Susan Rice and some of these other people in the administration. The look at the close advisors, the senior advisors to the president. Do you think that any of these things that the executive orders that he signed, that he was competent enough to sign those, And I think most of those could be overturned. I think if you you know, based on the Wall Street Journal report, everything has been a fraud about this presidency, and if the president isn't the one in charge, then anything that has happened as a result of so called the president saying certain things or signing pieces of legislation. You know, if you've got an elderly person that is found to be dementia ridden and they try to sign a contract, that's an all and void. So everything that he is done, everything he's done for the last four years, should be null and void. And we go back to what it was at the end of the Trump administration. So again, uh five to one to three phone a little bit late for a break. I'm doing it once again. Five one three, seven four nine fifty five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five krs the talk station, five fifty one in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five krs the talk station. You know, I do not think the people, and it takes some thinking about this because you know, when you look back when he came down the escalator in August twenty fifteen and from that point on, how many attacks there's been on this person. There have been attacks on his integrity, attacks on whether or not he's telling the truth. You go through the whole thing about the Russia hoax, the Ukraine hoax, the phone call hoax, all of these things that have been thrown at him, these fake indictments, these fake dragging him into court with that Egene Carroll and the defamation lawsuit. Every one of these is going to be overturned by the Supreme Court, and everything is going to find that there was nothing done and that there should never have been these cases should have never been brought. And then when you look at all of the talking about these other people, these other news networks, and all of the lies that they have spilled over the last nine years, it's all by the way, you've got a guy that has destroyed what they call legacy media. They are no longer relevant at all. It showed how irrelevant they were by the results of the election. It is proven by the amount of viewership and listeners that all the liberal outlets have lost over the period of time since the election. It's indicative of the fact that they're talking about spinning off MSNBC the time, is looking to sell CNN. At one time, CNN was the crown jewel of news, that it was the go to outlet to get the news. How far they have fallen. And then Trump has proven Hillary Clinton to be a fraud, Kamala Harris a fraud, Biden a fraud, Obama a fraud. And look what happened during the campaign. Two point five billion dollars that was wasted. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that these rich people from the Democratic side wasted that money on her campaign, but were lied to buy the campaign, buy the DNC that hey, we've got this in the bag. It almost reminds me of Vietnam. Of the people in the cabinet. De Lynn and Johnson's people were telling us, hey, you know, we're just a month away from victory. Here, we've got this in the bag. We're going to win, all to to find out that it was all a lie. Now, if you're a donor, do you want to give to a bunch of people that are going to be lying to you? And then we see what a fraud Oprah Winfrey was, when we see what a fraud Bruce Springsteen was, the fact that these people get on stage and it appears is that they are endorsing Kamala Harris, and then we come to find out how much money they were paid. Why does Al Sharpton will have a job. He did an interview and was paid five hundred thousand dollars to do that interview. Do you think that that was a fair and balanced interview? Do you think that the people that watched that got the truth, that got hard hitting questions and then even coming onto the view, the disastrous question was to be anything that you could do that would have been different. Uh, I can't think of anything. I even the view. Why are they still on the air, all the lies that they have told. If you can't depend on certain outlets to give it to you straight, to give you the accurate information, they have no business being in business. Coming up, we got the top of the hour. We'll be discussing a whole bunch of things that we want to get to. I'm Kevin Gordon Inver. I'll give you the phone numbers five one to three, seven four, nine, fifty five one eight hundred eight two three two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gorton in for Brian Thomas fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: And now Kevin Golden filling in for Brian Thomas on fifty five KOs the talk station.
Speaker 2: Six oh five. As we roll into this Thursday morning, the day after Christmas, the second day of Christmas, I might add, you know this whole business, and you know they talk about the twelve days of Christmas and the song, and everybody kind of has a tendency of thinking that the twelve days of Christmas are actually the twelve days before Christmas, when in actuality it's the twelve Days of Christmas. The first day of Christmas begins on Christmas Day and runs up to what they can all the Twelfth Night, which is the night before the Epiphany, which is January the sixth. And so the fact that we're not out of the Christmas season yet everybody kind of I know some people that like the day after Christmas. There are people that are taking down their Christmas decorations already, and it really kind of rushes the season now. I know that, you know, you have the Thanksgiving and then once after Thanksgiving begins or ends, then you have the Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all of the sales that go on you see year after year. How I mean, it's almost like after Labor Day now they start putting out some of the Christmas decorations. They don't even get to get through the or the Halloween festivities or the Halloween season before they start putting stuff in the stores for these Christmas sales, trying to boost as much of the Christmas sales as they can. Because businesses, most retail establishments don't start turning a profit until the month of December. That's why they called it Black Friday because it's from that point on where the companies start turning a profit and start making money for their year end, and so they try to extend that out. Plus, this year we had what five less shopping days because Thanksgiving was so late in the year, and so that cut down the holiday season. It created a little bit of problem. As far as people trying to buy gifts online. I can tell you that I have not. I mean here in the Gordon household, we do not. We have been doing more and more online, but we have kind of not one of the how should I say we're not We weren't quick to jump on the bandwagon there because a lot of the stuff that we buy, it's almost like you want to look at it, feel it, examine it, because it's just a different way of buying. And we've gotten more and more into the online shopping over the last I would say five years or so, and this year in particular, the amount of frustration that we experienced as far as getting stuff on time, delivered, when promised, and then once you get the merchandise itself, that it doesn't live up to the expectations. We've gone to the extent of I have tried to buy a pair of shoes, a particular pair of shoes. I think this is now the fifth time that I bought that pair. Had to return it, and of course they have now some of this restocking fee that they want to charge you for shipping bringing it back. So I wind up taking it back to the individual stores themselves. But when they tell you that, you know, a size is a certain size, and they say, if your normal size is such that it either runs big or runs small, so do size up, size down, that doesn't work. My wife has sent had to send back two coats because they told her that the size was wrong. You know that the size if you're in this particular size, you want to size up because these run small. Not the case, and so I have shoot, I can remember being a kid, and even to this day, people cannot Well, it's very difficult to buy clothes for me because whatever size I am, you know, the waist size, length, size, end zeame that it depends on the brand, it depends on the manufacture. In some cases, within the manufacture itself, there are difference in sizing. And usually if I'm going to buy it pants, I go to the store, I buy you know, I get about three or four pairs of them, take them into the fitting room, and it's amazing. Some of them are like a quarter of an inch or a half an inch too long in the end scene. Some of them are a little that the waistband isn't isn't quite as wide, and it's and it's tighter. It's a tighter fit, and when you hold them up and you hold them side by side, you notice that there is a difference in the size. So having to try on the clothes, having to try on the shoes. Generally I can get by with with shirts. I don't have much of a problem in that way, but when I do see certain items that I think will fit, sometimes they don't. And it's been a very frustrating season this year as far as online buying online purchases, as well as the frustration with when they say a certain item will be available and then how soon you can get it. That is, you know, overnight or they say next day shipping or two three days extends sometimes almost into a week. And there's been some stores where we went to buy something it was available, it wasn't available in the store. They said that the closest place there wasn't any available in Columbus. There wasn't anything available anywhere in the Cincinnati area. The only place that had anything in stock was up in Dayton. So we went ahead and ordered this item, these actually three items online and we go back and check the account. The next day, order processing, next day, order processing, the day after that, order processing to the point where and it was going to be something that was going to be available or delivered within three days. And so we even at we actually went to the part of buying the item and paying for a wrap express shipping that would have gotten there overnight or not quite overnight, but two days. And so I kept seeing order processing, order processing, and after seven days they canceled the order because they said they were out of stock. Now, that is a crappy way of running a business. That is a crappy method of running a business. And quite honestly, if that is the way this e marketing is going to do, and I don't if you're if it's not convenient, if it's not going to get to you on time, if you're not going to be satisfied with that item, then my wife was saying, she says, you know what, I've almost had it with this e shopping to the point where I'm going to start at least well, there's three or four vendors right now that we won't buy online from. We will actually go to the store. And depending upon what you're buying, I don't care if it's uh so, you know some of these decorative soap dispensers or anything that has any kind of a painting on it. Go to the store sometime and look at that item, and look at each one of the items. Now, in a lot of instances, I don't know if there's some sort of a process or if it's part a handmade or hand painted or something. But the difference between one product versus another, and you see where something is not as shiny, something is a different color, something is the shine isn't the same, or the painting isn't the same. It's just incredible. And if you pay attention to these things, and if you're picky that way, then you look. You got to go and actually look at the autem because so many times you get that homet go, who the hell would put this in a box? And to the extent of I've well, one of the pairs of shoes that I bought. I opened the box and it looked like somebody had worn them all and they were they were scuffed up. So it's this online shopping. If they you know, of course, they're gonna blame the supply chain and they're gonna supply and complain about this, that and the other thing. But it basically boils down to the quality control within the organizations themselves, and if they don't get their act together, they're gonna have some serious problems. Phone numbers seven four nine, Dick, we'll get to you right after the break. Phone number seven four nine, five one three, seven four nine fifty five hundred one eight hundred eight two three Talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas along with Danny Gleeson. Fifty five krs The talk station six nineteen in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five kr see the talk station. Let's go to Bobby, Bobby, fifty five kr. See uh, thanks for calling. I hope you had a merry Christmas and so far towards a happy New Year. How are you this morning? Cavin.
Speaker 5: A simple thank you can't express our true feelings of appreciation because you're always holding that torture freedom high and bright every day.
Speaker 2: My brother, thank you, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate that. I really appreciate that. Yeah, I you know, it's one of those things of where we are in some we are in some exciting times, and I don't think people a lot of people have the full appreciation of what we have witness what we are witnessing, and the transformation that we're seeing. As far as this country is concerned. I think that when you look at these past four years, you know, the left is going to whine if there's any investigations, and I think there needs to be a whole slew of investigations because if the Wall Street Journal report last week was accurate and that they showed signs of dementia at two months into his presidency and they didn't institute the twenty fifth Amendment, folks, we have a constitutional crisis on our hand. We have a group of people who basically hajacked the presidency, started hiding information from him, insulated him, and were making decisions and they weren't elected. And so you talk about a threat to democracy. That is what we've been experiencing for the last four years.
Speaker 5: I just hope people aren't complacent because these individuals on the left, because we don't have due dog Democrats anymore. No, but these people on the left, they're just in shock and all right now. They are not going to relinquish any type of power they think they can get. And coming up to January sixth on the certification, how they change to the security and everything around the Capitol, it always makes me wonder Capital Police and the place of the deep excuse me, DC, they're uncle have control anymore, Uh huh, secret services.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I certainly hope that there isn't any type of things going on within the deep state that would try to prevent anything from going on, that they would allow something to get out of control, or anything that would interfere with that. And because you know, it boils down to Bobby. You look at everything that the Democrats, everything that the Liberals have been claiming, everything that they have accused Republicans of even for the last decade or so, it's stuff that they're already doing. I don't care if it's the Russian hoax. They were the ones with the Russian hoax. You look at how many of these Seriously, how many of these democrats have SA GUIVERA T shirts in their closets. There isn't a democrat out there that doesn't love communism or doesn't have some affiliation with or a soft spot in their heart for communism. Well, is putin more of a capitalist? Is he more of a of a democratic leader? Or is he a communist dictator? So who's cozying up to? Who there?
Speaker 5: That's just like the January sixth committee. You look at all of them. They are enemies of the state. That's how I see it. And there's no reaching across the aisle. I see those individual which, as you know, their enemies of the state. Now you can go right down the list of them. If they've committed crimes against the state, they need to be prosecuted by the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And of course, and of course the left is going to whine the weaponization of the Justice Department and all of that nonsense. Well, what have we been experiencing over the last actually nine years during when when President Trump, when he first announced that he was running for president. I mean, we had the we had the FBI and the CIA, spying on him almost from day one. I just unbelievable.
Speaker 5: It's no different than the contractors that were out there on the Capitol grounds. You know, they said, there's only twenty six of them. Yeah, give me a break. It was about thirteen that put up the gallows six o'clock in the morning that day. That didn't nobody took down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And you look at some of the footage of the number of people the Capitol police that were breaking down the barriers and ushering people in, directing them as to where to go. The fact that you know, and I love how the FBI, when they're being questioned, they say, are you asking me if there were any FBI agents, any playing clothes or whatever. They're always careful to to speak their words specifically no, but if they're paid informants, paid gang members. I would love to know how many of the people there, and I would love to see the pictures of the people that were prosecuted versus the pictures of the people that were actually doing the destruction. And I guarantee you that there's an awful lot of people from Antifa that were part of that crowd that were stirring things up and not the actual Trump people.
Speaker 5: If a person wants to be able to look through the archives of photos, look at the individuals that took the fences down and orchestrated a lot of the problems. A lot of them were.
Speaker 4: Wearing Bulwick coveralls.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Period.
Speaker 5: If you look at those individuals that were wearing those the day before, you'll see it.
Speaker 2: Well, Bobby, thank you so much. You have a very happy new Year, and look forward to talking. And I'll be back on on the thirtieth and thirty first, so look forward to talking to you then as well. Dick, I swear we're going to get to you after the break. I'm Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas. Fifty five krc DE talk station six twenty nine in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, but five Carosee the talk station. Let's take a quick chat with Dick here, Dick from Dayton Fitt five. Dick, how are you? How is your Christmas?
Speaker 6: Good? Good? Good?
Speaker 7: Good to talk to you, Kevin, Hello to Danny. I had a good Christmas.
Speaker 2: Buddy, Yeah, yeah, Well I don't know.
Speaker 7: As you probably don't. My friend she U girlfriend, she had to go to a nursing home, her legs were bad, she got sick, and yeah, it's been different. You know, I've watched a little cat here. But she's doing really well over there. She's doing uh, it's really good. She's getting taken care of there because one of her friends from Kettering Health comes in here, you know, during the week.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 7: Her daughter came down to God bless her from Columbus and we had a little party and then uh, the dinner, I mean the Thanksgiving dinner and the Christmas dinner was ham turkey. Oh gee, it was good, two kinds of pie. But yeah, I've been uh, well, you know, the music stops during the holidays, you know, but I might go if it's weather permitting up and seeing you. Uh, I'm telling this group I've been playing in Uh. I was telling you and Danny knows about the Drummers, the Beaver Creek Stummer, Yuka. Lately, I've never heard anything. We did five Christmas shows and we rocked the house, rocked the incredible. Yeah it is and you know, actually I started on mandolin, but I'm still I've got I can play the mandolin, banjo, the little guitar, yuke and you don't knowing everybody. It's it's just nice. And I retired four years ago. I'm I'm really and going to school part time at Sinclair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Oh yet the brand I'm taking my classes and this next class is it should be good for me. It's called Introduction to Broadcasting.
Speaker 8: Oh my, about that. Oh that'd be That's that's gonna be nice. You know that'll be nice. Well, hey, we're up against the clock here. I got to get to the news the bottom of the hour. My friend. You take care and look forward to hearing from you.
Speaker 2: In the new year.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Dick, take care. Five one three, seven four nine fifty five hundred one eight hundred eighty two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KR see the talk station. Six thirty six in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KR. See the talk station. Let's go right to the phones and let's talk with Luke. Luke, fifty five krs. How are you this morning? I hope your Christmas was great?
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, this is a little dom a you know, optimistic about Doge about Trump. I do believe we have a great opportunity here that that I believe we will be taking advantage of. But re very back to what Bobby san Parsi inauguration in January sixth, with Trump.
Speaker 10: Vic and Elon all being I believe the billionaires on.
Speaker 9: Paper and I'm sure they have a lot of liquidation available as well that you know, to hire your own security.
Speaker 10: How if you have that money, resources, that many resources, there should be no assassin that you give nothing that goes on because I'd be paying for my own secrets ors, my own security team. That's that has been stacked into the hilt with every man possible make sure that another nothing ever gets around me that shouldn't be around me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the problem with that, with the problem with that, Luke, is that within that framework, you have to have the communications between you know, the threat assessment with between the FBI, CIA and hopefully with the Secret Service, and have the communications available to because you cannot, I mean, you can hire a security detail around yourself, but as far as all of the things that go into that in terms of sweeping the buildings, making sure that they're secure that there's no assassination attempts, making sure that there's no interference from any type of outside attack. I mean, there is still as far as we're aware that there are still these threats of attacks from by Iran on the life of the president. And so the security detail that you would hire wouldn't necessarily have the security clearance to tap in to all those resources of the federal government. And you would hope that there would be people within the federal government that if there is any of these plans, any of this attempted crap that's going to go that people are thinking about going on, you would think that somebody would have the spine and realize the oath of office that they took and say we're not doing this and rap people out.
Speaker 10: I would hope, yeah, yeah, And I hope that as well. And I just hope that you know, and as president, I know there's a separation of power, but as president, you know that Trump can have enough to make sure that the other lettered agencies.
Speaker 9: Of the government are doing their damn job, if not have the ability to.
Speaker 10: Fire whoever's not whoever is in the swamp.
Speaker 9: I believe he knows he has the American people's vote of confidence to drain it at any cost necessary.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, And I tell you know that the sad thing is is we don't we still don't thank you for the call. We still don't have the the Secret Service report about what happened in Pennsylvania. We we where is the report on that? Where is the information as to what breakdown? What happened? Did they really was it just?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Was it an accident? Was it a drop in the ball or was it on purpose? What? What exactly was it? And until we get that answer, we're not gonna I don't know if we can actually feel safe or feel secure that we're going to get the necessary information that we need to get. Let's get too too sweet, too sweet? How are you this morning? My goodness, I haven't heard from you in forever.
Speaker 6: I'm always out there listening, Kevin. I see this last move that the Biden administration did, would you know, flip the script on the guys that was on death row? Yes, those thirty seven. That really irks the hell out of me, Kevin, Yes, okay, you I just I just think that's so evil. But I was listened to Red Eye Radio and the gentleman was implying that the pro France has put the pressure on it.
Speaker 2: I heard that too, And what do you think about that? Well, first of all, I think, you know, if you're if you're one of these people that on the left to talk about separation of church and state, I think that's you don't hear any of them squawking about that. But I mean, how can this man say that he pays attention to Pope France US when he is all in on abortion? How?
Speaker 6: I mean, just he just gave a room a freaking award here recently, didn't you from Marcus Sanger?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably, yeah, exactly, they did. They did give her an award. And and you know, if you don't, if you don't value life at the very beginning, and you don't appreciate that and do everything for the least among us and help them the weakest among us, then all of a sudden you.
Speaker 6: Get years old. Yeah, slaughtering families? Are you giving them cutting up some slack?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Now I just can't. I can't get over there. That really hurt me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now it's not you know, giving them amnesty or letting them out on the street. It's been reducing their sentence to life imprisonment.
Speaker 6: But which has cut them a whole.
Speaker 2: He slack to me exactly. So now we're going to be paying for these killers. The people that that suffered as a result of these heinous attacks are going to have to live with the idea that this person is still there.
Speaker 6: And that's what bothers me the most. Those FIM has got to this stuff got to come up again right in the face, right in the face. Yeah, yeah, And do you have any recourse at all other than just blow the White House?
Speaker 2: Growing up with well, you know, the thing is is that I mentioned in the previous one of the previous segments is the fact that you know, with the diminished capacity that was pointed out in the Wall Street Journal report, that they were actually insulating him and keeping things from him, and that we're limiting the amount of exposure and the meetings and meetings couldn't go the long because he would be tired and he wasn't functioning, and he should have been removed from office under the twenty fifth Amendment been in. Well, that's a story.
Speaker 6: For another His wife is.
Speaker 2: You know, that's the thing that we need to know. We need to know who who's been running things, because if they're unelected officials, you better believe Oh yeah, I mean, if they're unelected officials, if they have been making the decision and they've just been basically you know, holding his hand, signing the documents and whatever, you wouldn't put up that with a family member that's trying to steal the family's wealth. Uh uh. But all of a sudden, this is okay and people aren't outraged by this.
Speaker 6: And see that's what makes the wifey look bad. Yeah, she said, they're watching all this stuff and she don't seem to give a damn abundet exactly.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about, you know, on the on the right here for years, about elder abuse, and you know, how bad do you have to want power and hold on to power to be in a position that you would do that to your spouse let alone owned Well, well do it to your nation. Let alone do it to your spouse. I mean, there is pure and so that we and then.
Speaker 6: You stomp on these family tools with that nonsense. Well I really got to me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, same to you, my friend. Thank you so much for call. Yeah, I just don't know how you can reconcile this and say that that there doesn't need to be this full blown investigator. And I'll say it, and I'll say it again. Every one of these people that has been surrounding Biden, either an advisory capacity, senior advisors, the White House spokesperson, the secretaries of State, every one of these cabinet officials from the Defense Cabinet member on down, Where were where was the spine with these people? Where was the love of country That you don't have somebody in a diminished capacity that has to at certain times actually meet and speak with world leaders, that you would allow that to happen, and that these people that were pulling the strings, that were actually doing the decision making, that is unconstitution unconstitutional, and in fact a direct threat to democracy. That every one of these people and everyone in the mainstream media that wasn't pointing this out, those spoon fed regurgitators, and the people that met him, the George Clooneys, the Obamas, everybody that ever had a meeting with him that are now saying, well, you know, it seemed like he was a little slow. Joe Scarborough, all these people, they should be all fired, run out of town, nowhere near any type of position of power ever. Again, because that, my friend, was and is the existential threat to democracy that they have been accusing Donald Trump of over the last nine years. And again, this existential threat to democracy crap that they've talked about that is accusing somebody of being a threat to democracy. What is a bigger threat to democracy than to take a duly supposedly elected leader. And we can go back and probably question all of that, because let's look at the this story for another day, but let's look at the how do we wind up having seven million people suddenly disappear from the twenty twenty election to the twenty twenty four election. Where do those people go? Because the vote totals are off by that number, And so you talk about an threat to the existence of democracy, We, my friends, have been witnessing that for the last four years. Phone number seven four nine fifty five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three Talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound five point fifty AT and T Wireless Fund. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KR see the talk station six fifty one in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five KRC the talk station. Hopefully we'll be able to get to some of this over the next couple hours, but we do have guests coming up and I'm sure well I've been hearing and seeing and listening to a lot of discussion. Is you know when we had that bill last week that it was at that fifteen hundred page monstrosity that was being pushed through and again because our government is not reacting to the will of the people, because they are not doing the spending bills the way they're supposed to be doing the spending bills. The fact that they are delaying until the last gone minute, that before the government shut down, and then they try to cram all this stuff in there. You know, we have on an annual basis, Rand Paul does this Festivus Report and every year it's page after page after page. This year forty one page is long. As far as different waste fraud and abuse in the federal government, and you have the Office of Management and Budget. I believe it's that August that or it's the ig Report, the Investigative Journal, Investigative General's Report talking about waste fraud, abute and there's different groups, watchdog groups within the federal government that list these things out. If you would follow those, that would be a very good start. And then if you take into consideration the fact that for you cut for every dollar that you spend, you cut maybe a penny of spending or keep the adjustments that whatever adjustments to these programs that are being done, they aren't automatically renewed with a cost of living adjustment. For crying out loud, we don't get that as an American people, as far as any things that we get. You look at the Social Security checks and you look at what's done there. The cost of living index or the cost of living that's used to determine that is just a joke. They wait till the latest possible time to make that adjustment, and then it has nothing related to what we're seeing as far as inflation throughout the year. But they pat themselves on the back and say, well, we've given this cost of living adjustment, and if you would just cut those down and say, okay, if you're in here for a cost of living adjustment, we want to know what the basis of that is. What in these bills or what in this spending is actually part of subject to cost of living, and there is just so much And when we start hearing stuff about well, you know, you're going to be cutting entitlements, you're going to be cutting into Social Security, You're going to be cutting into a lot of these programs, and it's going to take away or it's going to reduce the payments going out to Medicare, Medicaid, and you're going to be cutting benefits. Well, included in that budget are the office workers. Are the people that administer that. And if you're top heavy with that, and if you've got too many people on board and too many people that you're dealing with doing those programs, you've got waste, fraud, and abuse right there. So I fully believe that if the proper allowance is done, there will be more than two trillion dollars that can be cut out of this budget and people would be surprised by that. So I'm looking forward to seeing what dose come up with. It'll be interesting what and what you should follow is who's squawking the loudest about what, because those are the programs, those are the things that are the first things that should be looked at because if they're yelling that loud and that long about certain items. As I've said before, everything that we have seen being accused of over the last nine years with this president, President Trump, that has been accused of by the left, they themselves have been doing. And make no mistake about that. Every time they accuse something, look into what they have been doing themselves. Coming up, we've got Chris fickin Shure. He is the owner of Cookie Jar and very interesting story. I'm Kevin Gordon Merrick fifty five KRC the Talk.
Speaker 1: Station and now Kevin Gordon filling in for Brian Thomas on fifty five KOs the Talk station.
Speaker 2: Five minutes after seven o'clock. And if you checked my Facebook page when I put out there, who I guess we're going to be for the day, you know that we're going to be speaking with Chris Thick. And sure, and I hope I pronounced that right. Who is the owner of the Cookie Jar Bakery in Newport, Kentucky. It is an institution, a very famous institution down there. Welcome the program, Chris, certainly appreciate you spending time with us.
Speaker 11: Oh, thanks thanks for having me. Kevin.
Speaker 2: Did I pronounce that name correctly?
Speaker 11: You got real close. It's sick and sure, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did I do? What did I call it? I do? Did I put an R in there? Or thick?
Speaker 7: And sure?
Speaker 2: What I do? All right? All right, well, we won't make that mistake going forward. Here. You know, my wife she was on Facebook and she saw this post by your daughter. And I have been aware of the cookie jar for a number of years, but it seems that we're timing wise or whatever. Never I've been there once, I think in the afternoon, which probably pickens were slim, so I haven't been able to partake. But my wife read this article or read the Facebook post that you're a great Facebook post by your daughter, and it intrigued me from the standpoint that here we've got and this is all the things that intrigues me. We've got family, we've got history, we've got food, and we've got some very unusual hours. Number one, family, it's a family run business, been around for ninety seven years. The history, you know, the ninety seven years. And food, I mean, how can you go wrong there? And you're hours of operation being open at three o'clock in the morning and then until three o'clock in the afternoon. That is my kind of that is my kind of place because I'm a night out as you know, because I stopped by to talk to you.
Speaker 11: The other day, right, yeah, yeah, it's uh, we've always well, I'm down there working. I go in at midnight and everybody says, why are you up, and it's like, well, you'd be amazed at the people that are out, you know at that time of day. I used to they've trailed therry up the road. He had a lot of those drivers. We used to actually open them at midnight back in Newport's kind of heyday where you know what, they had some a lot more bars in that down there then. But right, yeah, so but yeah, it's uh, yeah, I've been down there for forty years working the night shift.
Speaker 2: Now, this business started back in nineteen twenty seven. Tell us a little bit about that and then how you came into the business and give people background.
Speaker 11: Then it's been part of my life, I guess since my grandpa started the business in nineteen twenty seven, and you know, since I was still a young teenager going down and helping dad work as he took over the business from Grandpa. But I also he's pick up Grandpa after school, go down there. And make donuts and in that, but never never really planned on being my life, uh work, But it's you know, circumstances. You know, you play the cards you dealt. And I actually lost my father in a car accident. I was eighteen, and I had no intention of being a baker me. My mother said, let's let's see what happens here, you know, or give this a couple of weeks and you'll go back to college and you know, life and you know, but it's been a great ride I have. I have no regrets, but it's just you know, just how it worked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in order to get in touch with you the other day, what was it Christmas Eve or something like that, early in the morning or whatever, I thought, all right, I'm up late, I'm gonna go down and talk to him, have him as a guest on the program. And as we started talking and you and you mentioned how your father died and you said you'd give it a couple of weeks, the thing that came to mind was, Uh, it's a wonderful life. Or you're the local George Bailey, and I saw your Facebook post and I was like, oh, that's what he's been saying. So great minds think alike, and so.
Speaker 11: A little bit of running joke. And don't gonna be honest, if I've never watched Wonderful Life till maybe ten years ago, uh huh, and we're sitting with a wife, I'm like, man, this kind of strikes the cord, kind of feels similar this out if I had that working on. You know, we didn't didn't travel a whole lot. You know, you can make a lot of being in a small business and you can make a lot of sacrifices. I even had my own version of Uncle Billy, you know, Uncle Tommy that I inherited with the bakriesh. Yeah, it's it's it's a little parody there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I liked and I liked your equipment there, Chris talking about the whole experience that brought the story full circle out pouring the love and support from everybody has shown. At least I didn't get punched in the face and try to jump off a bridge, So I guess, yeah, all things considered, not too bad, now, go ahead, go ahead, No.
Speaker 11: No, no, I was just into my daughty as you put out a great little little post and just the people that showed up. I guess that's what going viral feels like. I have no idea, I'm not a but just the put out pourt of love, people coming in just saying they appreciate you, and you know, we were busier, you know, and all get out, So it was it was a really fun experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have been. I have always been somewhat of a night out. Years ago, when I was in college at Xavier, there used to be a lot of businesses that were a lot of restaurants that were open twenty four to seven, and I was always fascinated by those because you could go down there and you could get you know, well eat at any time during the day. And there's so few and far of those now anyway, that it's tough to find someplace that's open twenty four to seven where if you're a night out go get a bite to eat.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's it's dating. And it's kind of like a little secret of people that come in early at you know, three o'clock in the morning. They're getting hot. That's the hot donuts and there, you know, I got a little following of people that come in there just you know, knowing everything's going.
Speaker 4: Right out of the other and and all that.
Speaker 11: But yeah, I said, I'm Danner working, so we open the doors and welcome you in.
Speaker 2: So we're talking with Chris Fick and sure, he is the owner of Cookie Jar Bakery in Newport. And when I put this out on Facebook and I mentioned that it was going to have you on, I got a phone calls from some friends of mine and they started giving me stories about how one fellow used to work for since Aint Bell and he would stop there every morning on his way to work, and he said, you guys had the best coffee around and always look forward to that in the morning. Another couple of people called it and said, yeah, you know, And what is interesting about businesses like this is that it's sometimes it's like certain things where you take them for granted and you kind of move away, you kind of get out of the pattern of going to that particular facility, and then all of a sudden, it takes somebody to remind you of that, and it's like, wait a minute, I enjoy that I got to go back. I mean, this is this is something that I've been missing for the last few years or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 11: Know, it's it's it's easy to fall I'm guilty of as well. You know, you just go to do the one stop shop somewhere, and yet you don't take a bunch of time to go to this small guy. But we had so many great stories, so many people. You know, if I'm coming in there, you know a gentleman that's eighty something years old, he used to work down there, and he told his story online, and you know, so it was really my you know, my George Bailey moment where we you know, at the end of the movie they come in there and they show their love and appreciation.
Speaker 2: That the kind of felt like that, right right, I'll tell you what we're gonna well, speaking more about the history third fourth, your fourth generation, now grandparents came over from Germany, great great grandparents, I guess came over from Germany. Uh started will tell us that that part of the story as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, My grandpa came over with his two brothers from Germany, you know, when things are tough in Germany, and he settled somehow settled into the bakery business. His other brother, Rhiney as well, had a work for Grandpa. Then he started his own place down in Bellevue, Kentucky called Ryan's and that was a well known bakery for years down there. But then he married my grandma, whose father she grew up in a bakery, was a baker. Her grandfather was a baker, so I guess they didn't have much of a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in the blood. Well, it's amazing how the life life takes a turn, and had not something happened the way it happened, you wouldn't be where you are. And that's so involved in so many different lives and so many different facets of life, and it's these are the kinds of stories that I absolutely love about. You know, family run businesiness is because, as you said, people kind of take those for granted. They're usually you know, they don't have the notoriety, they don't have the familiarity with some of the more you know, the larger corporations or the institutions. And now every grocery store now has their own bakery, which is kind of questionable and their products, but the actual homemade products that a mom and pop place actually has is just phenomenal. And you just don't get that touch, you don't get that greeting with the individual that owns the place, that feeling of family walking in that they appreciate the business as opposed to just another number, and so I just love the whole story. I'll tell you what. We got to take a quick break. Can you hang with us? I want to talk about I want to talk about brag about some of your products as well. Get a lot of people know about that, and if you haven't been there, what they are missing. So I can attest to that. And I'm gonna have to burn those calories off coming up here very shortly.
Speaker 11: I can stick around, all right.
Speaker 2: My guest is Chris ficken Sure. He is the owner of the Cookie Jar Bakery, an institution there in Newport, Kentucky. I'm Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five kr see the talk station seven nineteen in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five krs the talk station, talking about one of my favorite subject food. You know, most people eat to live. I live to eat and this particular story we're talking with Chris Fickinger. He is the owner of fick and Sure rather, owner of Cookie Jar Bakery there in Newport, Kentucky. And I keep mispronouncing your name because I have a friend by a similar name, but ficking sure, I want to make sure that you got it. Yeah. Now, so you guys have been at that particular location for how many years now?
Speaker 11: Uh? Yes, it's gonna be ninety eight coming up here in jail.
Speaker 2: Also from day one. Oh well yeah, you know.
Speaker 11: That's a little bit of a story that he did start down to Dayton, Kentucky a couple of years and then opened that up. So he grandpa had like three shops and then I guess the depression came and uh huh, he just settled back on the new Port location. But yeah, we've been there pretty much the whole time.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: That's that That is incredible. And as I said, you know, you lose that that homie down home feel with other you know, big bakers and the more famous ones in town. That personal touch, the heart that has put into each one of these items. Uh, and just the feel of the being part of history and part of something that's so well established is to me is the thing that makes the whole deal.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Now, when I was in there, I was so fascinated talking to you that. I mean, I'll looked at a lot of the pastries and stuff, and but I didn't look you guys. Do you guys bake bread?
Speaker 11: We bake bread, pies, cakes, doughnuts. You have pretty much a full retail anything you think of. So and I said, to do it all from the same recipes that Grandpa hit the uh huh, stubborn or stupid or what. But I never really changed it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's interesting because there's always that tendency of when somebody has a particular recipe and then you you either tweak it or try to do something different. But what you know, if you're eating something there at the cookie jar, you're eating a piece of history. You're eating a recipe that's well more than one hundred years old because it's brought over from the old world.
Speaker 11: Right. Yeah, like I said, I never never really changed anything. I got the same but either those same icings, uh huh. And it's just that old say it's not broken, don't fix it, right, So, I mean there's no preserved or anything in it. So you got to eat it with a couple of days.
Speaker 2: You know, I meant to ask you that question, but I thought, yeah, I better not go there because I don't know the answer to that question. But that that is huge. The fact that there's no preservatives in that is huge because as we're starting to see as far as food nutrition and everything that is out there, the talking about the preservatives that are in food, that the stuff that's in there is not good for you and maybe be causing some of our health problems. So do your body a favor and go to some place that doesn't have the preservatives and that is well. I mean we've seen that with a lot of the health issues that we've been having in this country. Right now, I got to ask you this question before we get out, before I let you go. What is your best selling item that you that you have.
Speaker 11: Oh, I mean it's the Donus I mean we do a cooking yar role. It's kind of our signature one. It has like an almond round.
Speaker 2: Feeling which I can attest to is very good. That gives it Kevin Gordon's stamp of approval on that.
Speaker 11: Yeah. But we yeah, I have a lot of coffee cakes. Uh, you know, do tea rings, do a lot of you know, fundraisings with churches when we sell our tea rings and stuff. So uh huh, there's got a lot of traction. But but yeah, everything's you know a pretty good balance of what we sell.
Speaker 2: My guess is Chris picking Sure, the owner of cookie Jar, What is your favorite? Do you have a particular favorite?
Speaker 11: You know, I got about three or four go tos. Cookie Jar is one of them. I like the Danties, you know, like I said, the rolls are baked and the donuts are you know, it's fried. So but yeah, there's cookie Jars probably my top.
Speaker 2: It's very good. But when we were talking to.
Speaker 11: Other sign your donut don't you can't?
Speaker 2: Well true. But when we were talking the other day and you said, uh, that that is you know, you gotta try that one, I thought, Okay, I got I'm gotta give that a shot. And I and I see online a lot of people that that's their favorite too, and so I have to agree with them on that. Now. We did see online and it's it's interesting when you go from baker to baker. There's different terminology that is used. The cream field. I've heard those referred to as biz marks, long John's or some other names you call those.
Speaker 11: We just go play on creamfield.
Speaker 7: We have it.
Speaker 11: One guy, pretty simplified.
Speaker 2: Huh, nothing fancy there.
Speaker 11: We do sell an actel cler some people come in and say, give me the Claire, and I said, well, I say screenfield, don't it eclaire?
Speaker 2: Uhhh a shell?
Speaker 11: You know that we bake separate and we sell those as well. But yeah, there's a lot of people come ou different terminologies.
Speaker 2: The Tigre tales bear clause and wasn't.
Speaker 11: Real creative with his name.
Speaker 6: He we just.
Speaker 11: Green builder Jai Villa exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, what what is the is there a specific I saw the Persian donuts? What what is there something about that that that we give that pretty?
Speaker 11: That's a pretty basic tone. I mean that's kind of it's not scrap. But we when we cut out our donuts on the bench, we have the glaze. You're gonna have all the holes, you're gonna have all the other little in between pieces. So we take those pieces and form of the and and roll them up and make a Persian don it like the white ice in their car. Yeah, so now that it's it's the leftovers, but it's you know, it's the way using up a dough with uh you know.
Speaker 9: They're having all that waste.
Speaker 11: So I'll try frying up don the holes once and that was that was a pain.
Speaker 2: Well, I do by the way. We want to make mention that people know how to get in touch with you. As far as the address, the address of the of the store.
Speaker 11: Yeah yeah, we're at nine nine Tea Mama Street. Uh break down. There a new quart across from the police station that you can call it. I wish, I said, I had a fancy website to send you to.
Speaker 2: I do not, but you do have a Facebook present. You're kind of like me with your Facebook present. So you have this, uh you have this hard to find uh Facebook page called the Cookie Jar Bakery, like a difficult of Facebook page like me, Kevin Gordon. So yeah, really cleverly disguised.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 2: Well I got to warn you about something, Chris. You're gonna see a lot more of me.
Speaker 11: I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 2: It was it was well. I mean, like I said, getting up or still being up at three o'clock in the morning, and I thought, you know what, I'm going to make a trip down there. Hopefully I can catch him there and hopefully we can get him on the air. And I'm glad I did. I wish you all the all the success in the world and people, if you haven't tried this, you you have to try it. That's all I got to say. So you're gonna be seeing a lot more of me, and so sorry.
Speaker 11: I appreciate it. I appreciate y'all do it. I just like to thank all the people that supported this to this and thank my daughter for putting that beautiful little post.
Speaker 2: App Yeah. That was that was that was that was great.
Speaker 11: I certainly got a fun experience. I hope everybody gets the experience like that in their life. So it was nice.
Speaker 2: Well, Chris, you have a year off. You open again when?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm going to open Thursday. I was going to take a lazy day, but now I gotta get in there and make more stuff up.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that they're you know, pounding on your doors already. There there's been, you know, the riots going on outside the door because you're not there. So yeah, I guess, yeah, yeah, Okay, give me one day.
Speaker 11: I'll recover. We'll be open Thursday, Friday.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh you're open to You're open today, Friday and Saturday Friday. I know, I get confused.
Speaker 11: Run together.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Well, as you say, I'm to make donuts, all right, Chris, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Chris ficking Sure, the owner of a cookie Jar bakery. Just a fantastic guy. Boy, tell you what, when I started talking to him, it felt like we were old friends. It was just incredible. So I'm glad to have him on in a company well worth supporting. I'm Kevin Gordon and for Brian Thomas fifty five KR see the talk station seven in the morning. Kevin Gordon and for Brian Thomas fifty five CAR see the talk station. If you paid attention to my Facebook page, you know that my guest right now is going to be Charlie Coach Coleman, a friend of mine. I'm proud to mention and uh give you a little bit of well, i'll tell you what. I'm going to let him tell his background and former coach at Bellevue High School. So Charlie, welcome to the program. Thanks for spending time with us this morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, Kevin. And I was just listening to your past guest and it reminded me. I'm a graduate of Newport High School and quite a few mornings I would stop by the Cookie Jar Bakery. Uh huh, I'm on my way to school of the morning, So it brought back some good memories of my growing up in Newport.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. I'll tell you what. It's going to be a go to destination for me. I mean, you know, my hour. For some reason, I've always been a night owl, so that might be all that might be. It's going to be a go to place for me for a while here. Now. Coach at Bellevue High School for how many years I was there?
Speaker 4: Twenty three? I was the head football coach there fourteen and the athletic director as well for thirteen of those years.
Speaker 2: And state championship in there thrown in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was honored to be a part of six state championship games. We won two state championships four times we were running up, So six times in a career is six times more than most coaches. But yeah, for sure, we had a great community and some really great kids that had good character and they were good students. And God blessed me by leading me across the creek from Newport over to Bellevue back in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And for people that are not familiar with Bellevue, Kentucky, it is very small town. You know, you've got over in Cincinnati, Cincinnati but over across the river, you flip that map over and you've got you know, basically beginning with Silver Grove. Then you come into Dayton, Kentucky, Bellevue, Newport, and then coming to all across the river there and that is a very small community compared to a lot of the different teams and the various schools that you went up against. So making it to the final six years or six different times is a feed in and of itself. And then when I met you, we met back in twenty ten, twenty eleven during the well some things going on in Cambell County Fiscal Court and got to know you then, and then you became county commissioner there and probably the only conservative on that commission. Now we pretty much have the People's Republic of Campbell County as I refer to it. But before that you were involved in the Northern Kentucky sports legends on it was the forerunner to what was it, not Spectrum but Time Warner? What was it before that?
Speaker 13: Insight inside I heard the table In Northern Kentucky, we had our own channel was Channel six, which they referred to is ic in six, and it was all local programming.
Speaker 4: Throughout the day, including sports, but not exclusively sports. There were some talk shows, I think the Chamber of Commerce head a show, and a variety of programming. And when I retired from Bellevue High School, I was a history major. Taught history and government and always had an interest, especially in local history. And I thought about writing a book about Northern Kentucky sports history. And I got to thinking of book's got to have a beginning and an ending, and if I could do a TV show, it could go on and on and on, and so for ten years I did the Northern Kentucky Sports Legend show on IC in six and that was the forerunner to my book that will become coming out shortly here in January.
Speaker 2: Which we'll talk about when we get back. How about an how's that as a transition? Huh?
Speaker 4: My guess is.
Speaker 2: There you go. My guest is Charlie coach Coleman, truly a coach, not fake like what we saw during the campaign. But we won't get into that on the national level anyway. My guess is Charlie coach Coleman. We'll be talking to him when we get back about his upcoming book. I'm Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five krs The Talk station seven one in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fits to five KR see the talk station. My guest Charlie Coach Coleman, former head football coach at Bellevue High School, six trips to the state finals and as part of Inside Communications, did for ten years on Northern Kentucky sports alleges. And he has now put some of that stuff together to write a book. And I do have to mention this about Charlie is that when he ran for office in Campbell County, somebody that wanted to put people above politics at the fundraiser and I helped him with his campaign, and it was amazing the number of former students, former athletes, former people that he coached that just absolutely came out of the woodwork doing nothing but talking about what a great guy he was, how much of an inspiration he was to them, and how they how he influenced their lives. And for people that are ever involved in any kind of sport or any involved with people, realize that you may not know right off the bat or even ever how much you touch their lives, but by being involved in their lives. You have touched their lives considerably, so I just wanted to mention that before we continue on. So, Charlie, the impetus for this was all the different shows that you did for Insight, and you have put this together and the book is going to be released within the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, And thank you for those kind words. And if there's any young teachers listening right now, it's amazing the impact that you have on your students. Students will come up and say, do you remember when you said this or that? And of course I don't, but they do.
Speaker 2: But you're taking well well yeah.
Speaker 4: And coaching the same way. You know, you get awfully close to the kids. But getting back to the subject matter of the book, it was on my bucket list for many years, and I decided a year ago. My wife and I went on the cruise, and on that cruise in November twenty twenty three where I had some time and just some peace to sit down, and I started writing this book. And I have featured fifty sports legends from the decade of the nineteen fifties, and I chose that because there's so many athletes and of course even in my book there are missions, but not on purpose of all the athletes. But if I could do them by decades, and hopefully can do one on the nineteen sixties, I can recognize a lot of the athletes. Of course, in the nineteen fifties it was mainly males. I do have one female. I wrote about Pat Scott, who went to Saint Henry High School. And Pat, I think all your listeners will remember the movie A League of their Own about the women's professional baseball and she played for the Port Wayne Daisies. As a matter of fact, that yeah, the Barons of Crawford Museum in Davout Park has her uniform that she donated. But quite a story, and she said the movie was pretty accurate. Actually the girls were strict, very strict rules on how they they could be out and they were taught manners and so on. But that was one of my favorites and I included her in that book as well as I was forty nine others.
Speaker 2: And you know, people don't I think you know, today we kind of take women's athletics for granted, but going back to that period of time, the opportunities that were not there. The Trailblazers of that period are just absolutely phenomenal and talk about a league of their own for crying out loud.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and that was my subtitle, a League of her Own in my book about Pat But yeah, that was one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: They all were my a favorite. Another one I had was kind of a sad story but a success. Don Johnson, African American from Covington. Actually his nickname was Groundhoul because the way he could field ground balls, but groundhouled. I had him on my TV show and said he was the first African American actually signed by our hometown since Nae Reds. And the Reds sent sent him and a Cuban player out to Utah for minor leagues and they were denied an opportunity to play there and came back to Cincinnati. Both were released by the Reds and Groundhoul then signed in the Negro League and played for the Chicago American Giants, And as he told it, he had a hit off Satchel Page and that was kind of the highlight of his career but a great story. Not his baseball card and he signed it for me.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, And now.
Speaker 4: In the Chicago American giant uniforms. So those are two of my favorites.
Speaker 2: But we'll have to talk about a couple more. Oh yeah, we can get into Jim Bunning when we get back, because we got to again, We've got to take a quick break here and appreciate your time this morning, Charlie. My guest is Charlie Coach Coleman, author of the new book. Did you I am assuming that the title of the book is Northern Kentucky Sports Legends.
Speaker 4: Yes, No, the Kentucky Sports Legends out of the nineteen.
Speaker 2: Fifties, of the nineteen fifties, and of course I have the series of eventually the sixties, seventies and on. And you know what's amazing is just talking to you through the years the number of class acts and class athletes that have come out of this area that hopefully a book like this brings attention to that and an appreciation for what all has been contributed from this area that nobody talks about. So looking forward to talking more with you about that coming up. My guest again, Charlie Coach Coleman. I'm Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five KRC, the Talk Station seven fifty two in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five KRC the Talk station, continuing our conversation with Charlie Coach Coleman, author of the upcoming book Northern Kentucky Sports Legends through the fifties, and of course there'll be subsequent books from the sixties, seventies and on. But thanks for having with us. Charlie is certainly appreciate it. We left talking about lot now we left talking about Jim Bonning, which probably a very famous, not only a pretty famous, very famous person from the area. And I think somebody that a lot of people, I don't know, when somebody's in your own backyard, it's like you don't have the appreciation for him until you kind of step back and say, why look at this guy compared to other people in the profession. And then of course his life after baseball and being a congressman eventually a senator as well.
Speaker 4: So again, yeah, he was raised in Southgate, right outside of Newport, went to Saint Teres Elementary School. He did not go to high school in Norland, Kentucky. He cross the river and went to Saint X and I believe Sat X was in downtown Cincinnati at that time. But if you looked at what Jim Bunning accomplished, you know he won a hundred games in both leagues for the Phillies and the Detroit Tigers American National League and all far many years. And if he were playing today, he would be the premier player in Major League Baseball with those kind of statistics exactly, just a great player. Of course, he is a Hall of Fame, I'm well deserved, but a Northerland, Kentucky guy, and fucking mentioned at least two more. Larry Staverman, a guy goes under the radar. Newport Catholic graduate All boys school, then it's Newport Catholic. But if someone would ask the trivia question, who was the very first first coach of the Indiana Pacers, and the answer would be Larry Staverman from right here in northern Kentucky. And not only was he the first coach, and the Pacers when the ADA then and when the ABA got started, they did something revolutionary to separate themselves from the NBA, and that was to incorporate the three point shot. Larry Staverman was a driving force behind that. And of course now the three point shot is all the way down to the elementary school. A Northern k guy, Larry Staverman, was very instrumental in convincing the to the ADA to incorporate the three points.
Speaker 2: Amazing, you got one more for us. We're kind of getting up against the clock here real quick.
Speaker 4: So I men, Homer Rights. Homer Rights who later coached Sincene Bangalore. Oh yeah, and I actually born in Bellevue, but made a name for himself at Poor Thomas Highlands and really raised the bar for football in Kentucky the whole commonwealth with his program. And of course just died in the past year, as he had been athletic director Georgia Tech University and author of several books. Leadership Fitness was his last one that is used at several colleges and universities to this day.
Speaker 2: And that's a fantastic thing about history and about bringing up these people from the past and the impact that they've had on their individual sports and stuff that people aren't aware of. And I'm sure that this book there's gonna be a lot of things that people never knew about, and you know, it's gonna be a whole learning experience for a lot of people. So Charlie, wish you all the best with it. I'm looking forward to when's the book going to be released?
Speaker 4: Well? Played the second week in January, That's what I'm told.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Doctor James Claypool and Bob Webster both helped me and editing and publishing U to Northern Kentucky guys are well known, and Bob tells me it'll be the second week in January.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you're gonna have a I guess you're gonna have a Facebook page. You have a website yet for it?
Speaker 4: Or I do not and I don't do baseball forbid you, Arlie.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to get this out. They've gotta market this book for sure. Well, Charlie was great talking to you, and you have a merry, happy New Year and so on, and we'll definitely be in touch. Van.
Speaker 4: I value your friendship, you know that.
Speaker 2: Thanks all Righty, you take care. Kevin Gordon in for Brown of course, my guest, Charlie coach Coleman looking forward to his book. I'm Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five krs The Talk Station.
Speaker 1: And now Kevin Golden filling in for Brian Thomas on fifty five KOSS the talk station.
Speaker 2: Seven minutes after eight o'clock. And if you checked out my Facebook page, you'll know that I'm supposed to have a guest in this hour or this half hour this segment, fellow by the name of Matt Donaho. We're having a little bit of communication issues this morning, and so hopefully we'll get in touch with him shortly and be able to talk about him and a fantastic story there. Now we talked about earlier that you know, every year Rand Paul, Senator from my state state of Kentucky comes up with what's called the Festivus Report, and in that he outlines different areas of waste fraud and abuse in the federal government with the government agencies. And it's it's funny this morning, when I was driving in there was this story that that I was looking at that I was I was playing a video and I had it off to the side, and right after this video that was playing, a video from Ronald Reagan came up when he was talking to Johnny Carson. And it's amazing how much of the stuff that he was talking about waste fraud and abuse, some of the stupid government programs that we have and that have been part of the government are are still there today. He mentioned, and we've heard this before, that these different bureaucrats in Washington have never had, in some cases a real world experience. So many of them have never signed the front end of a paycheck. They've only ever cashed those checks, and so realizing what it's like to be a business and to be in business, they have no clue. And the thing that struck me because I'm listening to this and Ronald Reagan was talking, and he said, you know what people don't realize is that, yeah, we have a tax bracket, we have a tax rate that we're supposed to be paying. But even then, back in nineteen eighty when he became president, up until the time he left the presidency in nineteen eighty eight, he said, at that point, the effective tax rate was close to fifty percent. Now think about that, we have got to be way higher than that now. And the way he talked about it was that, you know, when you have a government regulation that comes into play when a corporation has to hire somebody to comply with that, and then the added cost of putting whatever that item is into their product or to comply with those things that requires man hours and that has passed through to the consumer. This whole idea of people taking that they're talking about loopholes, that they're talking about that corporations need to pay more taxes. Well, paying taxes is a cost of doing business, and corporations do not pay taxes. We pay those taxes because they pass those through onto us. And so when you take in terms of what is built into the cost of a particular product and then you add that up in terms of an additional tax on that item, then that's where that fifty percent numbers comes up. And when you look at the various regulations that are involved, and it just kind of blew me away listening to somebody to talk about it says, you know that it requires somebody who it requires more knowledge to figure out the tax code than it does to make the money. And that is an upside down situation where you have all this effort, all these all going to work day in and day out, and then you wind up with a situation where then you have to pay somebody to figure out how to pay the taxes on the income that you've worked so hard for. So you pay somebody for the privilege, if you will, of paying taxes. And when you listen to some of these bureaucrats, it all boils down to the fact that in their minds what they talk about loopholes, what they talk about as far as income is concerned, you can't think, you know, you and I we think in terms of our net pay being the money that we have left over after we've paid our taxes, and it's our take home pay once they've taken out social Security, Medicare, federal, state, social security, state, city, county, all that, and then you see your net pay, well, in your mind, that's the money that's left over to do the things that you want to do. As far as these bureaucrats are concerned, this is the money that they, in their minds, that they let you keep because they think all the money that you make is theirs, that that should be part of what they fund the government with. And when they talk about these loopholes and they point out and they say, oh, the loopholes they're there, well, who put them there? The loopholes, as they call them, were the were the legal tax deductions that they when they wrote the tax law, put in that tax system. And so if you take advantage of those laws that they put in there, they make it seem like you're doing something wrong by taking advantage of it. It's just it's an entirely totally screwed up concept as far as how these people look at things and the way they go about governing. And then when you look at with these as we're seeing and hopefully in the coming administration, we get some of these things knocked out when you look at the EV mandate. Now, when I say EV mandates and that, they'll say, well, there's no such thing as an EV mandate. Well, you know when you say that to a car manufacture that as far as your entire fleet of vehicles that if you have within those vehicles, you have to have a certain average amount of miles per gallon, and those standards are set so high that the only way that you can attain that would be to sell more EV's, and so the more EV's that you have to sell to comply with that. No, it's not a direct mandate, but it might as well be, because in order to comply with those mileage standards, you have to sell more evs, and you have to sell something that the American public has pretty much said that we're not interested in and something that is not ready for prime time, which you're forcing things in that shouldn't be forced in. And I started seeing I mentioned this, Gosh, I think this is back in the first hour, this concept of demand destruction. And when I first heard this being said about two years ago, I said, what the hell is demand destruction? And I started looking it up to find out what it was. And a little teaser here we'll talk about that coming up. Phone numbers five one, three, seven, four nine, fifty five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound five point fifty atn T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five kr see the talk station eight twenty in the morning, Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five krs the talk station. Phone numbers five one, three, seven, four nine, fifty five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two, five five pound five point fifty on that AT and T wireless phone. Every year Ran Paul has been since he's been in the Senate, or at least as far as I can remember, has come up what he calls the Festivus Report, and each year he outlines some of the waste, some a lot of waste, fraud and abuse, and he starts off happy. Festivus already wrapping up. Feels like we blinked in history, dumped a year's worth a plot twist on us. Donald Trump dodged two assassination attempts. Vice President Kamala Harris ousted President Biden from the presidential race last minute, only to fail spectacularly. The twenty twenty four Summer Olympics in Paris captured global attention with a brilliant display of break dancing from our friends in Australia. In November handed control of Congress to the Republicans. And yet amongst these seismic events, one issue remained unchanged, the ever mounting national debt. Now we keep hearing people talk about the national debt. We keep hearing talking about how things are a waste front. I mean, when somebody lays out on a silver platter for you areas where you can cut spending, you would think that people would take note and do it. In this report, okay, According to Doze, the Department of Government efficiency that Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami is heading up. It's an unofficial arm, but at least an advisory capacity that they are talking about wanting to cut about two trillion dollars out of our spending every year, or at least over the course of a couple of years, this year or whenever, you know, they can't. Now, justin Rand Paul's Festivus report alone, there is over one trillion dollars that is available right there on a silver platter to be cut. And in his opening paragraphs he talks about at how this that we're spending four point five million every minute, seventy four thousand dollars every second. And when you start going through some of these things, now just I mean, this is just this is just off the top of the list here government waste things like ice skating, drag queens, twelve million dollar Las Vegas pickleball complex, a four point eight million dollar on Ukrainian influencers. Now, this is not the weapons that are going on there. These are people who have blog pages, people who are influencers, whatever the heck that is. Because you look at some of these influencers and anybody that would pay. You know, when you look at some of the so called influencers in this country and some of the stuff that they talk about, and the fact that they're influencing anybody, well, you know, they ought to start with themselves and influence their own lives, because some of the stuff coming out of their mouths is just absolute nonsense. But okay, we're paying four million, four point eight million dollars on Ukrainian influencers. What are they influencing. I mean, we've got whatever lobbyists there are with the military industrial complex already lobbying Congress because they want more toys because we're not involved directly in any wars anywhere. And when you're building these these weapons and you have these toys at your disposal, you want to see if they work, you want to see how well they operate. And so you find a proxy war like the war in Ukraine or somewhere else, and you get lobbied and you sell these weapons to this country. Now, I'm not downplaying the situation that you know, let's not fake. Let's not forget the fact that there should never have been an invasion of Ukraine in the first place. During the Obama administration, during that Oh, you know, mister Nobel Peace Prize, Russia invaded Crimea, or as Maxine Waters calls it, Korea. But they invaded Crimea and nobody pushed back. So if you're talking about Russian influence, when you're talking about kow towing to Vladimir Putin, wasn't that cow towing to him? And then okay, none of this transpired. Well, that transpired back in twenty twelve, and then during the Trump administration, none of this transpired and went on, and then all of a sudden, Biden comes into office and in February of twenty twenty two, after amassing all these troops on the border, and if you're amassing troops on the border, it's probably a good idea or probably a little bit of a hint that they're planning on using those troops that they will probably cross over the border and invade the country. So where was NATO Now it's not a member nation, but it's on their doorstep. Where's the UN Where were they? Where was this warning? Where was this threat of retaliation if they crossed? Why did they not fear sanctions from this our government or the international community by invading a sovereign entity yet they did under a democratic administration, and so all the stuff Russian influence, Well, what about that Russian influence, the fact that Biden didn't do anything, and oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you can tell me, talk to me, call me up here and tell me about all these sanctions that were put on Russia and it was all even that was a hoax because they never instituted them. And we can talk about that. I'm Kevin Gordon. By the way. Phone numbers five one, three, seven, four nine, fifty five, hundred one, eight hundred eight two three Talk one, eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KR. See the talk station eight thirty actually eight thirty one in the morning. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five K see the talk station. What's Let me give you the phone numbers real quick eight five nine eight eight eight five Hello, five one three, seven four nine fifty five. I almost give you my phone number five one three, seven four nine, fifty five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three Talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound five fifty AT and T wireless phone, Kevin Gordon and uh, I'm here, So let's go to the phones. You're there, I'm here. Let's get to it. Alan, how are you this morning? Thanks for calling in.
Speaker 15: Hey, I'm good.
Speaker 11: Is it still locy to Saint Mary Christmas?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? On this show, it sure is. Actually, you know, we are still in the Christmas season. Today is the second day of Christmas, so it goes on for actually, the Christmas season goes on for another ten days. So you're well within your within the spectrum.
Speaker 5: Well, I hope.
Speaker 16: They hope you have that prosperous studie year.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do my best. Is what's on your line this morning? My friend?
Speaker 16: Well, I've been out of the news cycle for at least twenty four hours because I haven't heard the latest on the Christmas bull shooting.
Speaker 5: Then is there any new news that.
Speaker 16: They came out with the background of votivation by the shooter for any of that.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I have not seen anything. I think a lot of people have been more focused on this round of thirty seven known killers, murderers, people that were a part well, actually their sentence was reduced by Biden on some of his pardoning, some of the stuff going on as far as you know, getting ready for the incoming administration, the trying to claim that that le Elon Musk is somehow now the co president or president, and they keep referring to Donald Trump as the vice president. So a lot of nonsense. But as far as the school shooting, no, I have not. I could dig into that a little bit, but I've not heard anything further from that. And the less you hear about something like that, the more you know it's bad news for the left.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that that was what I wanted to speculate on.
Speaker 15: You know, I think, like you, I like to wait until the news actually comes out to decide what whether or not a person is, what they have done, whether they're guilty or not guilty. Here she's gone.
Speaker 16: But my speculation is, like you were saying, if the longer you don't know anything about the shooter, Yeah, the more likely it is that it's a leftist type of individual. And the uh.
Speaker 15: News media, the legacy media.
Speaker 16: They want to cross over the fact that this was a leftist because all leftists love everybody in the world and and there's no way that a leftist would.
Speaker 2: Do anything like this, Yeah, and you know a lot of people have been focusing their attention on this uh shooter of that United Health president and uh, the big news on Friday was he was arraigned and he's in there smirking, and his attorney and him were all were both dressed alike. What was you know, trying to confuse? What? What?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 2: What was that all about? And they I've heard I was just flipping through the channels and I think I heard it was either seeing well one of the crazy outlets. They were saying, oh, here is this young man who is still you know, innocent until proven guilty, with the law enforcement officers lurking over top of him. And I'm like, well, if you've never been to a courtroom, do you remember seeing when Trump was on trial and he was sitting in that New York courtroom, the number of bailiffs and cops that were standing behind him like he was going to get up and do something disruptive or attack the judge or try to escape. I mean, give me a break. It's just you know, this young you know he's a young man. Well you know he's a young man that you know pretty much we have on tape that killed somebody, So let's deal with that. So yeah, I have to look into that school shooting and see what's coming up.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, hell and you have a good rest of your day and a happy new year. If I don't speak to you between now and then, all right, okay, you know in this Festivus report, now I got to do. I do have to take issue with one thing as I'm going through these numbers and I'm seeing, you know, currently the federal government is spending ten billion dollars on maintaining, leasing, and furnishing almost entirely empty office buildings. Now that's merely a matter of these buildings that are being least rented and so on. That the workers, the government workers, are not on the job. Most of the people that I'm hearing that are calling into this station are in their car. I am assuming they're commuting to the office. I'm assuming that the pretty much. When I go to the hospital and I see doctors and nurses there, they're not working from home, although a lot of them would like to. I don't see many teachers working from home. I don't see construction workers working from home. I don't see police and fire and first responders working from home. You see a lot of the workers working from home. And why are these federal government employees given a pass? Why aren't they told to come back to the office and if they're if and what we've seen in the past that it doesn't appear is that there's any type of a monitoring process of these workers to make sure that they're being productive and if they're not, and if they don't have those in place, Hey, how about installing some of those controls in the software program? Hey, I'm late for a break here. Let me get the phone numbers out real quick. Five one three, seven, four nine fifty five hundred one, eight hundred eight two three talk one eight hundred eight two three eight two five five pound, five point fifty AT and T wireless phone. Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas, fifty five KRC the talk station and Paul that he put out, I do have to take well, what should I say? Correct? One thing in here he talks about one of the on the surveys is when bailouts go bus. United States Department of Transportation granted a failed trucking company seven hundred million pandemic Era a loan, talking about under the Cares Act four thousand and three loan program, Uncle Sam went on a spending spree handing out cash like monopoly money, seven hundred million dollars in tax payer money to Yellow Corporation, which was a corporation. Now, one of the justifications behind that is that they were a big hauler for goods going into the various pxs and the government contracts as far as bringing food and supplies to our military basis. Plus it was a company that most of their employees were teamsters, so there was that pressure lobbying, et cetera. And the seven hundred million dollar loan was lent to them. Now, back in two thousand and eight, they were teetering. They had acquired a bunch of businesses and sort of mismanaged those to a certain extent, but had been teetering on bankruptcy because of union contracts and whatnot. But they did file for bankruptcy. However, since they filed bankruptcy in August of twenty twenty three, I believe they sold the assets and those have been auctioned off and the government loan was actually paid back with interest. So yes, that was money that maybe shouldn't have been I don't know, because when you've got a particular contractor that is responsible. We're bringing food supplies, medicines to your military basis, especially during COVID, you want to make sure that that's continuing. And with these different healthcare items that were being transported, you want to make sure that those are provided as well. And yes, the company was mismanaged, it went out of business, but with the value of those assets, that loan has been paid back with interest. Let's go to the phones. Carol fifty five. Care see thanks for calling. Happy, well, actually happy Christmas or Merry Christmas, because we're still in the Christmas season and Happy New Year. How are you this morning?
Speaker 12: I am done fine, And I just wanted to say, yes, we are still in the Christmas season because the Epiphany is not until they're celebrating it on the fifth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fifth or the well yeah they yeah. January sixth traditionally is the Epiphany, and it goes the twelve Days of Christmas, goes from Deceummer the twenty fifth up until what they call the twelfth Night, which is the fifth, and then goes on into the Epiphany. So I guess it's right up to that midnight and then you go on to the epiphant, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I always just sit there and say Merry Christmas all the time anyway, because then we have an Epiphany party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there you go.
Speaker 12: I always sit there and giggle because okay, I'm in day no how And I look up and down my street right now, and I would say there's at least six Christmas trees.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, already yeah, already, so Pete and people who have put like lights up and stuff. Uh huh, I'm down now. That's really rushing the season.
Speaker 12: I mean, well, I always get in trouble because I leave my lights up late too long.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but you know you're just look well that's because you're always in a celebratory mood.
Speaker 12: But I just wanted to say, Marry Christmas, Christmas, funderful.
Speaker 2: Year, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. You have a good day in the rest of the year. Let's uh and uh yeah, keep those lights up until the Epiphany for crying out loud, absolutely uh coming up, We've got I want to touch on a couple other things before we get out of here, get in some other mischief. I'm Kevin Gordon, and for Brian Thomas fifty five k DE Talk Station eight forty nine in the morning, Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas fifty five detalk station. One of the things I always like to do around the Christmas season, and one of the things I always look forward to reading and uh looking at the numbers, because as a recovering accountant, I enjoy these things. The PNC Bank comes out with their Christmas Price Index CPI, which mimics the Consumer Price Index, and it's a fun look at the all of the things that go into the Twelve Days of Christmas song, the partridge in the pear tree, the lords of Leaping, and all the components of that song. And every year they sit down and they compile what it would cost if you would buy every one of these items one time throughout the season, or if you actually followed the song itself and so on. You know, the first day of Christmas you have the partridge in a par tree. Then the second day you purchase not only the partridge in the par tree, but the two turtle drugs, doves and a partridge in a par tree. So you add that all up and throughout the index there's three hundred there are three hundred and sixty four actual gifts that would be purchased. And the way that this index actually mirrors what goes on in the economy because you have employee costs with the maids of milking at the farm industry. There, you have the entertainment industry with the pipers piping, drummer's drumming, lords of lee dancing. Then you have the five gold rings, you have poultry prices built in there, and so you have a wide spectrum of the overall economy which pretty much in most years mirrors this CPI, the consumer price Index. Now this year in particular, if you were to buy all three hundred and sixty four gifts, which would mean, you know, every day that you'd purchase all those gifts that are sung about during that day, the total bill would come over for the first time crossed over two hundred thousand dollars. It would cost you two hundred and nine thousand, two hundred and seventy two dollars for each one of those gifts. Now, if you were buying just the individual gifts themselves, the number of the twelve gifts just one time would be forty nine thousand, two hundred and sixty three. But when you get into the components of this, it's interesting that you look at the way and the fact that this went up five point four percent increase this year in this survey versus what the national average for inflation at this current point is around two point seven two point eight. In that neck of the woods, it is double or close to double. But this is kind of a fun example of depending upon what you buy in the economy, what food components, what hard goods, clothing, cars, and other things of even though the overall inflation rate maybe two point seven, what you're buying and what you're consuming may be well above that, like in the instance of this, So if you're buying these kinds of products, you are experiencing a five point four percent increase in what you're buying is and your dollars are not going that far. Now, when we hear the Consumer Price Index two always here where they do the CPI, the Consumer Price index, and they say, well, we want to look at the core items because we want to take out those that are fluctuating too much, and we pull those out, and the consumer price the PNC Christmas Price Index does that as well, and so they take certain more volatile items, and it's a fun way of kind of learning about economics, a fun way of maybe teaching your kids about something. And I will post this on Facebook. Usually I try to have one of their folks on to talk about this as a guest. But this being the day after Christmas and the way things are, I mean, I'm looking out in our office right now and it's kind of sparse. I think a lot of people took the week off, or at least take the rest of the week off, and so there's not a whole lot of people that are in and trying to get a hold of these folks and having them on was a little difficult. But every year I look forward to seeing this, look forward to talking about it and the fact that they actually take the time to do this. It's whimsical, it's fun, it's instructional, it's educational and well, as I said, fun, which is probably pretty much the big criteria. But it's interesting reading, it's good stuff to talk about, good stuff to look at and kind of looks at. How as far as items that are on the list, some items that didn't go up in price at all versus others that went up as high as sixteen percent and kind of give you an indication of how the overall economy. There are certain things that didn't go up very much this past year, but then there's a whole bunch of other things that went up tremendously. So fun exercise. Wish we had more time to talk about it, but we had a lot of stuff to talk about today. Thanks to Charlie Coleman and Chris and Chris Fick and Sure with a hooky Jar for spending time with us this morning. Anyway, time for us to get out of here, have a great day and have a prosperous New York. I'll be back on the thirtieth and thirty first filling in for Brian, so have a great day. I'm Kevin Gordon in for Brian Thomas. Fifty five krc DE Talk station,