Speaker 1: Hey y all, this is Clay Melson down in Houston, Texas and you're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience from seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 2: And welcome, ladies, gentlemen to the Doctor Sky Experience, heard exclusively here on talk radio seventy seven WABC, As we like to say, the Crown jew Live Radio, the iconic talk radio station seventy seven WABC out of New York, around the nation, around the world, and I'm sure out into the universe as a regular listener the Doctor Sky Experience. I'm sure by now you might know, and if not, our content is based primarily on science from technology, astronomy, space, aviation, and weather. But how about this special guests and celebrity guest in the mix. And today, ladies and gentlemen, be introducing amazing guests. Clay Milton, guitarist, songwriter, vocalist and blues guitarist joins us under Doctor Sky Experience. How about this blues rock prodigies, every special breed. They live and breathed, the fiery swagger of electric guitars and the irresistible loure of rhythm soaked sound. That's Clay Milton's music. Calling in a nutshell. At only twenty eight, Louisiana Bourne and Texas based blues rocker has already spent fifteen years performing live. His powerful, raspy voice and wicked guitar lift leaves no doubt he's grown up in the school of barroom blues rock. Welcome to the Doctor Sky Show here and the Doctor Sky Experience. Clay, how are you today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, man beautiful down here in Texas. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Hey, I love Texas, my friends, and as I mentioned to you off air, there's a major event for our science friends and astronomy friends, the Big Total Soul Clips coming on April late twenty twenty four. And who knows, maybe we can all hook up and here's some of the great vibes. Oh Light Melton. Hey, let's get started by talking a little bit about your background. You're a young rocker and blues expert, blues musician, blues guitarist. How did you get started in this? Because if I go back in time, that means you were performing what he's right around even before the high school day? Is am I correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, you know. I got into Hendricks first with guitar and then kind of a holy Trinity of classic rock see Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Hendricks and led Zeppelin, ZZ Top and all those albums and interviews I could read or listen to from them talking about their influences and songs they would cover and stuff kind of informed me and pointing me in directions back through blues history. And you know, whenever I was graduating from playing crawfish bulls and garages with my buddies, you know, and then moving into a live environment here, Houston has a rich you know, blues history and those like great players that were welcoming and I got to grow up playing on stage and learning from these mentors and players around here.
Speaker 2: Amazing talk to us because we had a lot of people out there that, you know, young aspiring musicians and people out there with talent to grow. What's your opinion? I mean, you're a young guys. I keep saying here, congratulations on your success, and we look forward to seeing much more from you. But what advice do you give anybody out there who wants to get into this music business? And a little advice from you, I certainly think would be an.
Speaker 1: Order well man, as a young player, what I'd like to tell people trying to become an artist or musician is get out there and play with other people as soon as possible. You know, all your experience and practice of playing alone is compounded and you start to learn an accelerated rate when you're playing with other people in a live environment, and the lessons are very instant. And especially if you can surround yourself with players that are more talented than yourself.
Speaker 2: You learn a lot.
Speaker 1: And same goes for you know, if you want to be in the in the music business and touring and working as a musician, and it's important to surround yourself by good team members, and it's and build a team and do as much as you can yourself with your own team, and treat the business just as seriously and as as you do the music.
Speaker 2: Talk to us a little bit about another text. As amazing musician Steevie Very ron Vaughn obviously passed away, you know, way way too soon. Nobody should pass like that, but your kind of love for his style of music. Describe him if you can to this audience and the things that you want people to remember about Stepene.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a cool question. I mean, Stevie was such a huge influence to me, and uh, you know obviously had a huge part in the eighties Blser Surgeon, and you know that's that's impart too, how much he paid homage to his own influences and heroes. I think he tried to lift them up, which is, you know what I loved about his music, and he did so in doing it in his own voice, you know. And if I can encourage anybody that hasn't listened to him to listen to the original music and listen to the covers he does, and just it's so evident that when he's playing, he's putting his whole self into it. It's feeling it. And I think that's what blues music is about. I think that's what real rock and roll came out, is, you know, someone putting themselves completely into the music and being.
Speaker 2: Able to share that with live audience, specifically well Clay, as you know better, this music style is invigorating, it's powerful, and obviously it comes from a great history, long history as now you're part of it. As you continue to grow, you're listening to the Doctor Sky experience or special guest musician Clay Melton. He's moving up in the charts ladies and gentlemen, and you're here with me on Talk Radio seventy seven w ABC, the crown jewel of radio broadcasting, proudly not only out of New York, around the nation, around the world, and what Clay, I'm sure even around the universe. A little bit more background. I want to read this to the audience. It's so powerful and you're the one who's living it. Play's twenty twenty two release Live in Texas, which includes ten original songs and one cover, was spun on more than one hundred and sixty radio stations in the US and abroad, and his riveting cover of Zez Tops Jesus Just Left Chicago climb to the number one song in the world on the Roots Music Blues Rock chart in June twenty twenty two. Congratulations on that, brother, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you very much, you know, and I mean obviously have to Thank's Easy Top for a lot of to be the song and you it our own way.
Speaker 2: Well, folks, here's about you're about to hear a little excerpt from Jesus Just Left Chicago here from his album I'm from Texas album. As we continue here with our very special guest Clay Melton, whose website you got to go there, folks. It's simply this Claymeelton dot com. And here we go with just an excerpt from Jesus just left Chicago.
Speaker 3: Jesus just left, She cackle, ain'tst pound New Orleans. Well now, Jesus just left Chicagle.
Speaker 4: Ain'ts power news? Looking on into the other all.
Speaker 3: Voice simple swing, look at Charles you mississippis wo by the water, tell the wine Charles and Mississippi.
Speaker 4: Oh my waa, we will get out of California.
Speaker 2: For well, Clay, I thought that was amazing, man, I mean that's just incredible. So describe describe the band too. I mean, obviously you're the You're you're the talent in there, and many other people described to us some of the other players in this band of yours. And how how how it all comes together? I mean it all has to work, and wow, it all sounds great to me.
Speaker 1: Well like it, you know, I mean it doesn't happen without the band. And we have Zack Grendel on drums, who have been playing with for about nine years now. Uh, and then that Cox on base have no since middle school. We played in the band in high school together a metal band as a matter of fact, and along with Kyle, our tour manager, who was my first bandmate on drums growing up, but he joined about a year and a half ago. And you know, a lot of the songwriting happens. I'll bring in some verses and choruses and stuff, and then will range you know, the final arrangement together as the band in the room. And that's very much how Live and Texans happened. You know, all written and arranged about three to four months before the recording of the show.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's powerful stuff in here. I'm going to read a testimonial here. You know it well, it goes like this, and I quote, the passion electricity surely missing in the music of many of Clay Melton's peers, is abundant in the fantastic performance of Timings Everything. It's another reason why Clay is certain to be recognized as one of this generation's guitar heroes. End quote from Richie Adams, editor in chief of Red Hot Rock magazine. Hey, that's powerful stuff, my friend, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt, thanks to Richie over there. And you know, Timing Is Everything is an older song of ours from our first album, Burned the Ships in twenty seventeen, and I still think that that song in particular, carry is the energy that we bring into a lot of our songs still today.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's talk a little bit about current things going on with Claim. Milton at Claimmelton dot com talk to us about Alive on a Wire. So this was released what back February twenty fourth. Describe it to the audience because obviously as a songwriter, there's a lot of intent and meaning in these songs, not just great music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's definitely the rock forward sound of our rock and blues. And you know, the song got written when we were coming off of our last year summer tour in twenty twenty two. We had been supporting Dead's Rocks from New York and the Bluestones out of Canada, and the tour was, you know, fantastic. He couldn't have gone smoother, and but you know, it's about the whirlwind that tour could be, you know, playing shows every night and then running off on the highway to the next show and just you know how exciting that can be. Exhilarating and draining all at the same time. And so we came off a tour, just you know, really feeling amped about that. And sure, I think if the tour had gone there's been a couple more speed bumps along y maybe we would have had the same attitude when we came off the tour, you know, because when things get stopped midway, it's a different game. But we're just excited, feeling great coming off. So about that, you know, it's really kind of a precursor to what's happening this year. It's our busiest year yet on the road, and so we'll definitely be playing it and living it.
Speaker 2: And you've got Runner coming out to us here what April fourteenth describe that? I mean, you just keep rolling them out. It's like an amazing music factory here talking to Clay Melton and don't forget his websites Claymelton dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Runner is it's being recorded and done the same way we did a live on a wire. All these new songs were recording here at my house in Houston, Texas, just in the living room, and we're recording it ourselves. And you know, the luxury and that is being able to give the songs the time they deserve, being able to step away and sleep on them and you know, come back and recut any things we want to and just really being able to be explortive as we want. And you know, it's liberating being able to do everything or as much as we can ourselves. And it's all being mixed by Sebastian Kure, who I've worked with for our first couple of releases in twenty sixteen and when he's living in Austin, but he's a long time in front of our drummers. Actually how we connect it. He's now living in baron Kia, Columbia, where he's originally from, and so we're doing all that work over the internet and it's a blessing and a key I think. Also good advice for artists coming up trying to build a team is find a producer that really gets you and knows what you want to do. Because music there's no rules or laws about how I have to go about making art, but there are a lot of subjective tastes and you know, finding someone on your team that really gets what you want to go after sonically is you know an important thing.
Speaker 2: Well, we're proud to have Clay Melton here and get a load of this, folks. It continues more on his bio. Clay Melton is quickly establishing himself, obviously as a rising star, having played world famous venues such as Whiskey a Go Go in Hollywood. And how about this one of my favorite bands, opening for Grand Funk Railroad on the Chevrolet main stage at the State Fair of Texas. You know something that's really an honor. They came here, that's Grand Funk out to Arizona last year in a fall concert on a big farm. And I'll tell you something, my friend, those people were jumping up and down, yelling and screaming and hooting and hollering. That must have been an exciting time. Talk a little bit about that experience with a Grand Funk Railroad, a classic in the world of music.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was a lot of fun. I mean their rock and roll royalty, you know, and their show is certainly that you know, I mean watching them, you know, songs that you know, I grew up loving a lot. I grew up with a lot of classic rock as well as and yeah, it was just a dream.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We really love where up there. That was up the Stay Affair of Texas on their Chevrolet main stage, which is about the most Texas stage I've ever seen, because it has two Chevrolet trucks vaulted above the stage and you're looking at them over your head. The first time you play, though, you know, you're you're kind of checking out the riggings, like, man, there's some big trucks right over your head. Yeah, but it was a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, tell us about this. I mean, blues is famous and popular all over the world, but what about Texas and blues. I mean, just give us a little spirit so we can squeeze it out of you. It's like something special about blues in Texas. What say you?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I mean. Texas geographically has so many influences coming from a lot of different places, originally from a lot of different places when it comes to blues. You know, obviously Houston and often have Angels, have rich music histores, and the blues and the Lightning Hopkins from down here in Houston, and I think you know, there's a part of you know, a lot of blues music that comes from you know, towards the Delta has its own style. You know, obviously New Orleans and New Orleans funk has its own style that is very has a lot of Delta influences, but then has you know, your creole influences, your zydico and those types of rhythm. You know, Texas is, especially Houston, you know your it's coastal, it's swampy down here, you know, and so you know the way that people have lived down here for for years and stuff, and especially in the early influences of when recording music started begin to happen. I think all those factors are something that can't ignore. But then beyond that, and especially you know, obviously like when I was growing up, this is you know, well after blues has been an established style coming out of Texas, but those it's still rich in a lot of blues being created, blues being played and you know, paid, paid with respect, you know, in the live environment. So I was just lucky to be able to be around it.
Speaker 2: Yes, my friend. And lastly, I want to mention, and you're sharing the stage with sir Earl toon of Cool in the Gang. We had Cool in the Gang on this program, maybe another year or so ago, but wow, that's one that really is near and dear to me talk about that for a minute. That's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: Missus Carlton is just you know, one of the kindest souls and supportive and real, and you know, to be able to sit down with them, we got to send some time together outside playing the concert, and you know, I mean we were up on stage playing celebration with them, which you know, it's wild hearing that song, you know, everywhere growing up, in every every kind of movie and all that. It's just it was really kind of a surreal moment, and I was real pleasure. I was grateful to play with them.
Speaker 2: Well, Clay, let's hear a little bit of another song here that's so popular, you know in the music charts. Here we're gonna hear a little bit of your rendition of back to Blue. Here we go.
Speaker 4: When you are down on the ground, you don't know what else to.
Speaker 3: Do, when your hid's.
Speaker 4: Down on the ground, you love and left you someone new, Oh wound.
Speaker 3: Your man, baby your backs booe?
Speaker 4: Has your man left your hide? Jive? You don't know what else to do byself? Some cheap red wave brown, some Delta blues, you know, wow yoom, maybe back in the summer, not that if you gotta make to keep back wow.
Speaker 3: Yum.
Speaker 2: And also obviously that's awesome, my friends. And finally I want to ask you the time permitted here talk about the Live on a Wire tour. I mean, obviously you're not standing still, you're in motion. What talks about tell us about this tour? Live on a Wire tour? What do we need to know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're you know, I'm stoking up the last couple of days at home because the rest of this year is going to be busy business road. We're heading out to April twenty third, starting the tour in Baton Rouge, Louisiana at their Bad and Rouge Blues Festival, and that's gonna be a lot of fun. And then we're heading out to the East Coast. We have a lot of dates in Virginia, Massachusetts, New York and all those there's up there, some Rhode Island and then basically this whole year, you know, we're on and off. When we're coming back, we're working on new recordings for the album, for the full album, and then getting back out on the road. We're going to be out your Way in Phoenix this summer, up on Arizona and then in Tucson, and then we're gonna be up to Chicago and back to the Northeast for the end.
Speaker 2: Of the year. Absolutely something for everybody as WABC. Of course, Hall's out of New York City, that great city, and that was the entire connecting states and also here where we're doing this broadcast live and pre recorded from Phoenix, Arizona on talk radio seventy seven WABC, the crown jewel of radio, the iconic talk radio station, seventy seven WABC. You got the last word. What do you want to tell our listeners that's not in the question of a you know, not in the form of a question. As we conclude this interview today with you.
Speaker 1: Clay, Hey, even if it is in our show, go see some live music support those touring bands for your New York listeners will be at the Iridium, which will be a pleasure as of you know Leftball's home club up there. Wow, and you know we'll see you on the road. I'll take it's right, Clay Melton dot COM's last tour.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Clay, stay on the line with us as we go to our hard break here our very special guest, as you've been listening on the Doctor Sky Experience up and coming, Yes blues guitarist and so much more. Vocalist and songwriter Clay Melton his website proud to say it here on this show, Claymelton dot com, dutas Guy reminds you always remember to keep your eyes to the skies as we talk mostly in the science realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, but as we bring it back down to Earth. Great guests from the rems of the celebrity guest and today our special guest, Play Melton. Thank you so much. Clay got to speak to you and and the band and looking to hear some great things from you in the world of music. So thank you for being our guest today.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on