Speaker 1: Donald Trump crashing, the economic recession looming?
Speaker 2: What happens next?
Speaker 1: Watch what happens will happen right here.
Speaker 3: On fifty five KRC the Talkstation. It's eight oh five shiveighto six here fifty five kr CD Talk Station by Thomas Wishing everyone ain't very happy Thursday slash Friday Eve and always looking forward to the bottom of this hour because we get to talk with Ihart me. The AVA is Nextpert Jay Ratliffe, good man, he is, and quite a few interesting topics to talk with about. But though in the meantime, Welcome back to the fifty five KRSE Morning Show, coming off of what I understand was a pretty successful debate with Mayraf tab Purval and the other guy, Corey Bowman, running from mayor of the City of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, my friends. Good to have you on the show this morning.
Speaker 1: Hello Brian our happy opening day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you being the huge fan of the city of Cincinnati you are, I presume you are a Cincinnati Reds fan. I think that kind of goes without saying, right absolutely, And where are you going to be today, Corey Bowman?
Speaker 1: So obviously the parade is going on.
Speaker 2: I believe I'll probably be.
Speaker 1: I'll try to be around the Tountain Square area if I can get through the crowd and everything. That's the main place I'm going to be. And then me and my family are attending the game.
Speaker 3: Great, well, hell yeah, assuming you are identified, well, you're gonna have a Corey Bowman T shirt on or a big sign that says hi, I'm Corey Bowman and I'm running for mayor, or some way that people can identify you if they want to ask you a question or two.
Speaker 1: Corey, I'm going to have my Flip the Natty T shirt on. I think that goes pretty well with the reds coloring and everything as well. And then yeah, I'll probably have my ten on and hopefully people can hopefully the right people will recognize me.
Speaker 2: I hope so.
Speaker 3: And you can get in touch with Corey Bowman through his website Coreybowman dot com. There's his campaign pledges and what he hopes to accomplish, an opportunity to donate, maybe get a yard sign, get some Corey Bowman T shirts and spread his name around. What did you think of the debate when you look back on and reflect on it, were you happy? Because you know Westside Jim was there. I know, Todd Zenzer was there. He just got done talking about it. He said it came off he came off pretty well.
Speaker 1: Well, that means a lot. You know. It was my first political debate outside of just family dinners, and so I felt really good about where we came across at the end of the night. You know, I don't want to say that I came in with low expectations, but I did. I just want to come through knowing that we stood our ground and that we were able to go toe to toe with him, and I believe that's exactly what happened. I believe that there was a lot of valid points that we made, and we gave people the opportunity to see what we stand for.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: And understand from the reports, I got that Purval kind of ignoring the other candidate and really focusing his attention more on you, And I think that sort of speaks volume for the likelihood that you were gonna win in the primary. It's going to be you head to head with with have to have pro ball.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, with everything with the campaign, you know, whenever we got getting the signatures to get on the ballot, I try to stay as tunnel visioned as I can. And so we've gotten a lot of positive feedback about the primary. But I'm just telling people we have to get out and vote, you know, specifically, I'm calling on all the Republicans in Cincinnati that if you believe that we could be the one on the ticket, for you to get out April eighth through May six, as early voting starts, and let's get this thing solidified.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the things I just learned from Todd Zinzer is you may end up finding yourself having a pretty good support for my friends in Hyde Park. Quite often, you know, they're educated, they're very you know what. It's a typically you know, stereotypically wealthy community, but quite often lean blue and support Democrat candidates. But this whole project that they are all against, this redevelopment project. They're any council voted against it. This idea that this huge developer is going to come in and build these big structures, which don't know, are completely inconsistent with the vibe and the architectural style of that historic community. But Cincinnati City Council looks likely to approve it, which means that Trump's what the Hyde Park voters want, so you might find yourself in some good company in Hyde Park.
Speaker 2: Corey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean if you're going with the citizens and what they want to do, then in local government you should find yourself in good company. You know. Whenever all this development was first happening and we were researching it, that was a big thing we realized is that the opinions of the community councils were being completely ignored through the process. They said that they did some preliminary work to get the opinions of voters, but when it was about to be solidified, people made their voices loud and clear that they did not want this to happen in High Park. And those voices, it looks like they are just being ignored by the local government.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's something that you experienced in your own life. Last time you're on you told me about there were a lot of developers, small developers, not politically connected developers who wanted to put a lot of you know, investment and money into rehabilitating some of the houses in your neighborhood. That's roughly around Dayton Street, right, Corey, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Around They called bay Miller Block Dayton Street really close to Lynn Street.
Speaker 3: Okay, so real developers with real projects and real money that will help the community, because any investment is better than leaving something dormant and empty. And yet the City of Cincinnati throws the roadblocks up it because it isn't part of their connected Communities vision. I mean it that, I just I really quite often, Corey, you go back to what the what the citizens want, what the constituents want, versus what special interest group or moneyed developers want. And when the city defaults and goes with the money developers and these political action groups or these you know, non governmental you know, outraged, constantly organizations which running contrast to what the voters want. You know, you got a real potential on this one, in spite of the fact that you're a Republican running in a blue city. I think more and more people waking up to this kind of reality. It's the connected people. It's not what you stand for. It's not the specific values of Democrats or Republicans. It's what's good for the citizenry. And they're not delivering on what's good for the City of Cincinnati and the voters.
Speaker 1: You're exactly right, and to be honest with you, When I look at what we're standing for, I'm amazed because I feel like I'm a nineteen seventy Democrat, you know, fighting the establishment of big times. Yeah, you know Gardmera or corporations. But yet I'm running on a Republican ticket and I'm just sitting here like, weren't Isn't this supposed to be the party that is for the common man, that's supposed to be fighting against this stuff. But the developers and the city officials, these ones, these are the ones that are kind of holding back. In my mind, what I think is one of the best things about our city is the small businesses. The local developers might be able to flip one or two properties at a time, they're really not getting the benefit out of any of this.
Speaker 2: No they're not.
Speaker 3: And I think more people are waking up to that reality, which gives you a fighting chance. Corey and a city that you know, a Republican couldn't get elected in. I just see this opportunity, this possibility. Now after what's the same for the sake of discussion, you win the primary, it's just you and after that Purwall that's when the campaign kicks off. In Earnest I imagine you're gonna be hitting the ground in all of the neighborhoods in the city.
Speaker 2: That is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean our strategy we have to mobilize and unify the Republican Party in our city because the last mayoral election only twenty six percent of voters showed up. So you've got seventy four seventy three percent of voters that didn't even feel like they had a voice, that didn't need and feel like it mattered if they came out and vote. So for this primary, we're primarily focusing on the Republican Party or those that we know just have felt like they haven't had a voice. And then after the primary, that's when we really kick it into gear because we've got to go to these communities and show them that were the right.
Speaker 2: People for the job.
Speaker 3: Well, and I understand the AFT have purvol pretty much gave you an outline on your for your campaign, and his opening statement at the debate, he went through all of what he thought were his accomplishments, many of which I can't I don't think you can call an accomplishment Corey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, when it comes to statistics and everything, I mean you read some of the articles about the debate and they said that it wasn't in our favor, and then people that were in person they say it was in our favor. So I think that whatever your perspective is, you really got to go to the facts and the statistics. And I think one of the biggest things that was said was that t has been low, that crime over the last four years is low, and really that's not the case. There's a few examples of very small incremental decrease when it comes to homicides and shooting, but overall, when you look at the statistics, you're looking at aggravated assault is actually up eight percent, I believe, and then you're looking at auto thefts up forty percent, and then you're looking at that, and then you're looking at robbery that's up nineteen percent. And overall the crime statistics this is talking about from twenty twenty two, first year he took office, to twenty twenty four, overall the crime reporting is up two point six percent. And so if you just focus or cherry pick certain statistics, you can say whatever you want about what's being accomplished. But if you're in the downtown area, you realize this isn't the case.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I like to think of these quote unute, uninformed voter, the one that really doesn't pay attention to politics. But if he hears the mayor suggests that crime is down, and he or she lives in a crime laden neighborhood, they're not going to buy that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, don't tell me crime is down. You don't live where I do. Apparently I could tell you all day long how bad crime is.
Speaker 1: No exactly, And you know, voters that are in these areas. It used to be that you could just concentrate all these failed policies into an area like the West End, and you can just always, you know, count on their vote no matter what, because you just think that they're ignorant to it. But all of these failed policies now are bleeding into all these other communities and people are starting to wake up all around the district.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Corey, you know Corey Bowman dot com. I encourage my listeners, most notably in the greater Cincinnati area. You can help him out even if you don't live in downtown Cincinnati. What happens and goes on in the city of Cincinnati. The decisions are made by city council and the mayor have a broad impact that transcends the boundaries of the city limits. So it's good for all of us. If the city conditions improve, more people would likely to consider the area generally speaking, including in Hamilton County the surrounding counties. If we have a stable, vibrant downtown Cincinnati, it's important for everybody. So with that in mind, get involved, get engaged, help Corey out, and maybe we can have a change in this in this community for the better. I know you're passionate about the city you love so much, Corey. It's why you're doing this and why you're running. And I don't know Aftab. I think he just enjoys being a politician more than he is passionate about the Cincinnati area.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd like to think that people get into public service to help people, and that's ultimately what we're in this to do. And so I tell people is if you're voting for me, you're not going for somebody that moved to Cincinnati to get into politics. Move to Cincinnati in the downtown area because it's from here. He loves the city and he wants to see the best sports citizens.
Speaker 3: There you are, Corey Bowman dot com is how you help him out? Corey, we'll have you back on the morning show soon. I will show all the best on the campaign trail as we head on into the primaries.
Speaker 2: Hey, and enjoy Opening Day.
Speaker 3: It's just what's a wonderful tradition we have here in the city and one of the things that makes the city so great. And we'll keep our fingers crossed for a victory for the Reds today.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely. I told my son, my five year old son, last night. I surprised him. I told him we were going to the game, and I think that was a mistake because I don't think he slept the next three hours.
Speaker 2: It's his first game.
Speaker 1: It's his first Opening Day game. We make a point to go to at least three to four games a year, but he's always wanted to go to Opening Day because he sees all the pictures of everything. So we're all very excited.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 3: And if you want to talk to Corey Bowman, find him on Fountain Square during the parade time. Corey, have a great day today, be safe and we'll talk real soon.
Speaker 1: Fran, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: My pleasure eight eighteen Here fifty five KRECD talk station. We got a little more to talk about, plus Jay Ratliff coming up with Bottom of the Hour.
Speaker 2: Look forward to that and I hope you do too. I'll be right back fifty five krs