Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty is.
Speaker 2: Later with mo Kelly Live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. What the hell is up with Nick Polliokanni?
Speaker 3: How you doing? I gotta say now not to interrupt you and not to do a promo for you, but if you have not caught Later with mo Kelly tonight, you need to catch the podcast because it had just been good from open seven till nine, and hopefully I can keep the energy going for you. Where can they find the show? It can be on the iHeartRadio app. That's twenty four to seven. My favorite that you can always see be posting is KFI AM six forty dot compord slash listen, So if you happen to be online, you can also catch in your car KFI AM six forty. Are you anywhere that you get your podcasts? Any platform that you're looking for? So, but I had a late night last night. That's where I'm going to take us first. So the focus for today is going to be trying to as the weather is turning, getting us out and about a little bit more, not to steal that tie from somebody else here on KFI that works the morning hour. But anyway, last night it was out super super late. And it's because are you familiar with the Grunion Do you know the Grunnion run? Yes? Yes, so it was the first one it is as a kid. Yeah, so I was gonna say, you got to go out and do it again if you've never done it before. Cabrio State Beach near the like in the South Bay La Harbor is an easy one. I've done it there. They also have it in Long Beach. That's where we went. Actually it was Cabrea Beach, which is and it's the easiest one and it's specifically because California Department of Fish and Wildlife are always out there to make sure that everything is going smoothly with it. So was there last night until this early morning. And that was the first run. So it started on the fourteenth, and it went through last night into this morning. And so the next one is coming up Saturday, the twenty ninth. So not to steal Natica's you know, weekend idea, but for the final weekend of the month, Saturday and Sunday, you'll be able to catch it for that. If you're looking to get out about so pretty much Grunnion are the it's and it kind of doesn't go with the only fan story we had earlier on. But the reason that they are coming and the Grunni and are running our fish that spawn in the sand in the shallow waters of the coastal areas here of southern California. So you're literally, I mean, I Sam, oh no, Sam's not there. I was gonna say, can I get let's get it on. Oh you are there, Okay, I'm here, Okay, But I was just like, this is like definitely very white music style. So because the thing is is it has to be late at night when they're out there running up onto the beach and they're spawning.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: So it's a really good time if you've never experienced before. It is definitely one of those quintessential coastal southern California things. A lot of schools back in the day used to there we go, thank you, there we go, Sam my first, my last, my everything, there you go. But this is something that I would highly recommend. You can get details about it at Nick Polio Keno this week with a Nick on Instagram. The Lincoln Bio has more details for you there. But like, so you've done the grunning and run. It's been a few years, but you can can. It's a very interesting and unique experience. Oh, it is that.
Speaker 2: And I didn't really fully process it as a child, right, it was a school of field trips.
Speaker 3: Yes, And the thing is what's odd is you actually can care them or can catch them with your bare hands, and they can be consumed. Although I you know, I'm not no, I'm a huge seafood person. This is probably not the one especially because and not just that, but you know, if they're getting it on, I don't want to interrupt they're spawning rituals. So but that is something. But if you're looking to do something still in the South Bay, and this is from my favorite botanic garden here in southern California, the South Coast Botanic Garden, which has a unique story. We've talked about it here later with mo Kelly. It was a trash site in the South Bay originally and it has since become a botanic garden and it's really they did the really cool during the pandemic. They had the disco. They was chic. They did a whole like outdoor disco socially distant thing that was incredible. You Also, they had the trolls, which I talked about, like the eight you know, several stories tall trolls. And what they've got coming up this weekend is going to be a celebration of everything agave. So even though I don't drink anymore, agave is a delicious sweet nectar that can eventually become tequila. So that is something to check out. That's in the South Bay. It's really really inexpensive. It's fifteen bucks for the general public, or if you're looking for a little bit more of a tipsy experience, VIP tickets are thirty seven dollars and if you're a member, which I am, it's free general admission or twenty bucks for VIP admission for that. So the thing is, we've got so much in our own backyard. And as again, as said as the weather is turning to be a little bit more hospitable, still a little chilly, a little bit rain chill, a little windy, been real windy, but it's time to get back out and about and that's kind of my thing. I mean, I went to Mammoth to do snowboarding. They just had a huge another dump of snow in Mammoth. Wish I could go this weekend. You went since the last time you got snowed in, No, that was the last time, And I wish I could go this weekend because they literally just had this huge dump when we just had the rain here. I forget how many inches or feet at that point, but it just and you know that I wish translated to our closer mountains a little bit better. We still have some snow in Rightwood. We still have some snow in the same Redino Mountains over in Big Bear and Arrowhead and all that, so but that's a little bit less. I mean, you can definitely still they're grooming the mountains, so you can still go skiing and snowboarding everything else. But if you want like insanity six hours north up to Mammoth, I mean, that's it. Just like we talked about getting snowed in, and that's not the first time I've been snowed in, and last time it happens a few years back, I wasn't even to be able to make it back for the show. So there's that also. Something that I've talked about before, but I love to always push it is the National History Museum in Exposition Park, so deep in the heart of la It is the this weekend actually coming back, and if you happen to be a member there, you've got a preview coming up. But it is going to be the Butterfly Pavilion. So I'm the Halloween kid and I love the Spider Pavilion that comes in the fall. Here's what happens the Butterfly Pavilion pretty much it runs through the summer to August twenty fourth, So it opens this Sunday, runs through August twenty fourth. Then what butterflies may be around also stick around to become food for the Spider Pavilion, which opens is exactly the same place. So it's you know, circle, circle of life, you know. But that's a great opportunity for you. It's ten dollars per person gadmission if you're a member of the National History Museum. Again, I'm trying to keep it super inexpensive to encourage you to get out. And also a former school trip. Correct, No, that's exactly it, because I mean I was I grew up in the Inland Empire. I was born in Upland and raised now Talloma, and we used to come all the way out here. We did the same Ridino County Museum and everything else as well, but we came all the way to Expo Park to do the museums that are here. And I mean I was born in eighty one and in eighty four we had the Olympics, right, No, it's easy. So anyway, so those are the fun things and then the biggest thing that is coming up is going to be a little bit further out and it's already underway. Actually, no, it starts off for Thursday Friday. Check in my facts there we got Thursday. Gotta keep it right, fact check yourself. I love going out to the desert and one of the things that's really impressive is being able to go to Living Desert, which is a zoo and botannic garden out in Palm Desert or like Palm Springs. And they have done this for a few years and they kind of change the time period. But it's Glow in the Park so from the twentieth through April twenty seven, so it opens this Thursday, runs through April. You can see these beautiful lanterns, like huge animal lanterns, different wildlife that are in and among the existing exhibits that are there now. Granted, all the animals, the real animals have gone to bed become this time period, although a lot of them are nocturnal, so you may hear sounds and you may see some movements, but you're not going to get a beautiful view of all those incredible animals that live out there. But this is something that people go year after year after year to go see because while some lanterns stay the same, and we've got similar things that happen, like the Garden in Arcadia also here at the La Zoo, but this one is really special because you're out in nature, you're out in the middle of nowhere, and it really is different. It's a different experience, and it's still if you're looking for those chili experiences, it is real cold, still out in the desert.
Speaker 2: You give us such great information and I'm amazed. As an Angelino. Some of this I obviously did know, like the Grunion Run, some of it I did not know.
Speaker 3: See that's but that's what I love because there's so much that we don't do in our own backyard. And having you being born and raised, me being born and raised here in La Or in the South Southland, and the Inland Empire. From me, there's so much that we don't do, and I know, I like you, and many people don't want to necessarily do the touristy things. Granted I go to Disneyland and Universal Studios and do all the theme parks. I do a lot of touristy stuff, but the bigger and more exciting things for me are what's in our backyard? Absolutely what can we do to support our local community? And also, as always you know last Colum Free ninety nine is how we roll, so trying to make sure that it is being aware of your time, energy and effort is what's being spent, and a little less on the pocketbook.
Speaker 2: We'll have more with Nick POULIOCHETI just a moment and find out what else is up with Nick.
Speaker 1: You're listening to later with Moe Kelly on demand from kf I A M six forty.
Speaker 4: What's you? What grew up?
Speaker 3: What did he change that? I was gonna say? Eric Clesardo obviously sent us a new one, and Sam's confirming, yes, I see it there. It got sent to me hot off the presses from Twala himself. I said, those are not the same lyric. No, I was impressed because I was like, it's fantastic, it's a rework and it gives us a little bit more for Tuesday Night. Thank you, Eric, Eric Lesarto, You're amazing. We appreciate you greatly. And a huge fan, huge fan and huge friend of KFI. Absolutely always jumping right back into it though and again getting into that free ninety nine and last call. If you are a Catholic, you may or may not know that tomorrow is Saint Joseph's Day. So the nineteenth of March every year Saint Joseph's Day. Why do we care about that if you're not Catholic, Well, it is the day that this swallows return to the church in Sane Calpastrano. Yeah, so Swallows Day is actually tomorrow. The reason I talk about it is because this weekend is the huge Swallows Day celebration that happens every year in sanmue Capistrano. And it's a Las Colndrinas, if I remember correctly, as the name of Swallows yesterday Las Colndrinas, which is the best party for the bard. Right there you go. If you're not familiar, then I don't know what to tell you. If you have not grown up in southern California. The event has always been closely tied to the nineteenth of March because of Saint Joseph's state coincidentally, and it's been reserved observed that way for centuries. But the modern celebration was popularized by Father Saint John O'Sullivan in the twenties and according to legend, Father O'Sullivan and by the swallows to nest at Mission San Juan Capistrano after seeing a shopkeeper destroying their nest elsewhere in town another childhood school trip. Right, I was gonna say, so, I'm hitting all the like the harm my marks back. The swallows migrate every year up from Argentina. They nest and raise their young in the eves of the missions and surrounding area. What did migrate from Argentina? Argentina, Argentina and then over time the celebration has grown to include cultural events and festivities, including this weekend. So the Swallows Day Parade. I am not doing it this year because I've got a couple other things going on that I'll talk about. But in years past I've actually em seed or I've been the announcer for the Swallows Day Parade in San Juan Capestrono. It's always a blast if you're going to go number one free ninety nine. I love that. But beyond that, it is making sure that you give yourself plenty of time. And that is because you get off that or take a highway on the five. Now this is going back to my traffic days, but there will be a good mile or two backup, both north and south on and the five it or take a highway. Really, it's so popular, and I think it is because it's free ninety nine, but it's also something that is so culturally relevant to South Orange County. It brings people from la it brings people from the Inland Empire, brings people up from San Diego. So give yourself plenty of time to get it. The theme this year is Lasso's and Lace, and the Bud Bud Wiser Clydesdalees will also be there, so they'll be I don't know if they're the Grand Marshals per se. That's a whole different ballgame here.
Speaker 2: It comes to right, comes to big number one, but wiser fear, are you.
Speaker 3: Old enough time? I'm old enough to do it? Yes, no, no, no, I wasn't drinking back then. But yes, no, but the thing that's funny and just a tangent. Briefly, our generations had the most amazing jingles. Absolutely, there is nothing like that. Now you've got fun, memeable things that are there. You've got so many fun different takes, but it's not to the level of the marketing that was around so many different corporations, and I mean, you know, we just grew up with that.
Speaker 2: That was but that was the only way you could really reach people correct radio or TV, and if you had the there had to be something that was going to stick in your ear.
Speaker 3: Here we go, Here.
Speaker 4: Comes the king, Here comes the big number one, but wiser beer, the king is second. Then none, just say but wise' you've said it all. Here comes the king of beers.
Speaker 2: Solt you guys, let's head, but why the beer's the one that's leading.
Speaker 4: The list, and say, still tell you there's one.
Speaker 3: But it is stun with me for at least forty years. Yeah, easily, No, they're totally and it's it's that's fun. Yeah, I'm sorry. But then that was a nice desician. No, that was a good I love it because I mean there was that, but like the funnier one that came to mind immediately was Rotor Ruter Road. That's the name, and away you go, troubles down the train rot Yeah. Yeah. The best that we you don't get to see. The thing that we get to experience here is seeing each other and seeing how everybody's reacting to those jingles and music.
Speaker 2: You light up because it hits somewhere in our memory. We're like, yes, I remember watching that.
Speaker 1: Quick first aid for Claus sewers and stop that drains the wonderful road machine twists and turns and shaves line clean ro.
Speaker 3: And away troubles down the Now play the cheach and strong version of that. I haven't reached. Later with Kelly after dark, QUI we're there. We already talked about only Thames.
Speaker 2: I know, you know you could almost get away with that one these days.
Speaker 3: Probably I was gonna say, but maybe don't risk it. Yeah, I don't know. I got you one more thing to talk about real quick is it says our Chavez Family Day is going to be this weekend. That is happening in the La Plaza de Colcura Artes, the Plaza of Culture and Art. If you're not familiar with Alvara Street, that is where it is located. So Alvera Street is yeah, another field trip, like I have covered street. And I think that's the thing that's so interesting because my niece, one of my nieces, Emily, she's actually on do you remember doing it? Was either fourth or fifth grade and we would go to the mountains. Did you do that field trip? No, we didn't go to the mountains? Okay, because so maybe oh okay, so that's Haley and Ella, my nieces in San Clemente do that? Is it right out of data point? And they've done that a couple of times. Emily from my family in Long Beach that she is on her fifth or fourth and fifth grade. I'm sure people are yelling at the radio right now, but fourth or fifth grade you get to go to the mountains and you're there for a week. So it's like your very first co ed. I understand, we didn't know. It's okay. I messed out, Yeah, I apologize. I was doing great.
Speaker 2: Like we didn't have elaborate field trips like that. We didn't have any type of overnight See.
Speaker 3: I remember having to raise money for it. We'll put that much and I know that I had to donate some money for Emily to go. So now the furthest I think we went with Sam Juan Cavastrom, which makes sense, I get it. But so that's not so much else is going on around the South Plan. Also, if you happened to I caught me last week, I talked about the game Man's Course of Los Angeles. They have their Rhinestone Cowboys show this weekend. I will be there, so if you are going, be sure to say what's up ron Ztone Cowboy. I should love that song. But it's so funny because there's so much much more involved. There's like country covers of pop artist and there's just so much settled happening for that. So if you want to check it out again this week of a Nick or Nick polio'cane on Instagram. Yes, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: The first time I heard about the Gabe Men's Course of Los Angeles, they would always sing at the PBS Yeah, Christmas Eve special corrections downtown.
Speaker 3: I think the Dorothy Chandler.
Speaker 2: Yes, And because my family will watch that every single year and they were always the best choir every single year.
Speaker 3: It's funny because so talking to Louis Pistow, who is the director of the program or the executive director. That's it. They've done the Grammys, they've done the Auscars, They've done all these different award shows and the thing that again we talked about last week. But it's so interesting. It's not just gay men either, No, it is all Southern Californians who can carry a tune. As long as you can do ten or one, ten or two to carry you too, there are expectations, well not just that, but now you also have to be almost a triple threat because you have to at least be two of the three of being able to dance and sing, because they do an entire production number of so many things. Just looking at it, It'll be Beyonce, Brandy Carlisle, lil Na's ex Chapelerone, also Dolly Parton, Reeba McIntyre, Shania Twain, Casey Musgraves, the Chick Charge, repertoire, lots of it. It's going to be happening again this weekend, both on Friday and our Saturday and Sunday this weekend, and then I will be there on the Saturday show the twenty second.
Speaker 2: It's too bad I have to go to break because I could do this all night I'd.
Speaker 3: Love to, and I get you know, I've got you. Yeah, I have so much and more to go through. But again, if you want to learn more, always social media. Instagram is the easiest. Nick pollio'chani or this weekend and Nick the Lincoln Bio has all the details for you. I'll see you soon, oh absolutely, you better believe it. All right.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty