Speaker 1: The show has begun since your phasers, the fun you ry for.
Speaker 2: Trip Trip Trip trips Indo Dcon.
Speaker 3: With Carridom It's the d Conchamber.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Trekky's and trekkers, welcome back to a very special episode of the Decon Chamber. I'm your co host Dominic Keating, joined as always by my best mate and my fellow co host mister Connatraneers in the house here today on the Decon Chamber. We are so delighted and honored to be joined by mister Robert Picardo himself. He first appeared as the Doctor on Star Trek Voyager in nineteen ninety five, over thirty years ago. If you can believe that there were seven seasons. That character went from a short term emergency hologram to a complex character with a defined identity and a place in the crew. Quickly became a fan favorite and has since returned to the Star Trek universe more than once, with appearances in First Contact, Deep Space.
Speaker 1: Nine, and Prodigy. I'm not at all jealous.
Speaker 4: Today we're speaking to him as part of the cast of Star Trek's newest show, staff Leet Academy where he reprises the role of ill doc Drre now hundreds of years older and in some ways wiser, though as it turns out, he still has some growing to do.
Speaker 5: He's serving as chief medical.
Speaker 4: Officer on the USS Athena under Academy Chancellor Nala Ake, played by Holly Hunter. Season one's just aired in its entirety and we're now so looking forward to seeing what's in store for season two, which is just rapped.
Speaker 5: We're so pleased to have you with us, Bob, and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Pal. Thank you very much. It's a pleasure to talk to both you guys. You are terrific interviewers that I remember that from last time, and we are longtime friends, colleagues and brothers in the Star Trek family.
Speaker 4: We're sure so was a sort of dendum, and the news came out yesterday although season two, and we're looking forward to seeing that. Sadly, the snip came from the higher ups yesterday. So you got the call on Sunday am I rising thinking I.
Speaker 3: Would say the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater. We just found out yesterday. In other words, the day before we're recording this, we found out yesterday that the show will not be going forward, that season two, which we have completed, will be our last season. When we chatted before we started recording this podcast, I said, let's deal with the eight hundred pound gorilla immediately rather than talk about it as if it hadn't happened. We got the whole cast, got an email from Alex Kurtzman's assistant saying that all the producers would like to have a zoom meeting with us this past Sunday at four pm. And it sounded a little ominous, a little sad, and it turned out to be the moment we saw everyone's face on the zoom with all of the cadets, by the way, with one exception. The cadets were all together in one of their apartments in Los Angeles, all sitting together, which just shows their tremendous solidarity and affection they developed over the course of shooting the two seasons and Alex our leader, Alex Kurtzman, along with no Glandau, Guya Violo, and the other producers Tunday and Aaron Byers, all of the team at Secret Hideout, which is Alex Kurtzman's production company, were there and as I said, it was written all over their faces that we were getting some bad news that was going to drop the next day Monday, which is only yesterday as of this moment, that was speaking that the show was not moving forward. It was sad, he said. He made it very clear that he was delighted with the show. He felt so strongly about the work we had done, how beautiful the show was, how everyone was doing their best work, and it had nothing to do with equality of the show. Not enough people had found us, he said, you know that the reason you'll hear is that we never cracked the top ten shows in streaming, which is true. However, they gave us literally two weeks or less after we aired our tenth episode. Now, often people have their own viewing habits and streaming, they sometimes wait so that they can binge watch the show. Maybe they wouldn't have heard about it because there was really a no advertising push behind our show. There was never, to my knowledge, a commercial on any broadcast television channel, on any other outlet. And I talked to so many people who said, oh, yeah, you have a new show. Where is it. I haven't found it. So in any case, for whatever reason, perhaps because our show was created during a prior administration at CBS Paramount. For whatever reason, they decided to take a pause in new Star Trek, and that Star Trek will be reintroduced again after a period, a fallow period, which, as we all know, is what happened after your guys.
Speaker 4: Show Crazy to the QUI mate, now that we know the smart of cancelation, well before it's time, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: I feel like the cooler Bob because a couple of years ago I interviewed Doug Jones on the ship and they had found out and I are an hour previous to that that they had been canceled, And now talking.
Speaker 3: To you, so h Connor, Connor, Angel of death Trenier. He wields his mighty what is it a sight or something?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh it's right here. I can grab it.
Speaker 3: The killer franchise killer anyway, so I listen. I also, speaking of killing franchises, I was also in uh uh Stargate Atlantis.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I was a season regular the season before that got canceled too, So it might not just be you, Connor. It could be the two of us working together.
Speaker 1: You stink of cancelations.
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say I saw the whole show season one, and I really liked it a lot.
Speaker 1: It took me.
Speaker 5: It took me, so I've gotta be I'll be honest with you. It took some warming up for me.
Speaker 4: The first three episodes, I was like, Okay, this is a bit c W in space. There were two scenes at the end of episode three that got my attention when the the war faction and the Cadet faction was sort of set up and I started to see the planning and where this was going to go. And I got to say, by the end of it, it truly got my attention, and there was some, as you say, just fabulous acting going on.
Speaker 5: Tell me, Bob, when did they come to you and say what are you doing?
Speaker 3: It was a while ago. It was during the after we had hit the peak of the COVID pandemic and we were on the downward curve. I want to say, I guess it was March of twenty twenty three. It was shortly before the actors strike, so that was the year that we went out on strike. In July, so I got a call from my voiceover agent saying that they want to have a conversation with you about a new Star Trek series and I'm thinking Prodigy is only on now. They want to put me in another animated series, and so I had the voiceover agent call the production company and say, no, this is for a live action. I said, they want me in a new live actions That doesn't sound right. So I had a zoom meeting with Alex Kurtzman and Noga Landau and the showrunners to be. They told me about Starfleet Academy. They told me about their idea of bringing the Doctor back, that it was eight hundred years beyond Voyager's future in the thirty second century. They schooled me because I had seen some discovery, but I wasn't strong on what the burn had been. The Burn when there's this terrible thing where all of di lithium goes nuclear and millions and millions of people died, and warp travel was eradicated, and basically all of our star Trek's imaginary future of space travel was set back hundreds of years by this terrible tragedy. And this Starfleet Academy it was now one hundred and twenty years after the Burn, and it was reopening, and it was the first entering class in that long a time. And my character was an eight hundred year old, continuously activated artificial intelligence. He was Voyager's doctor, not a backup program, because it could have been a backup program that was launched in the future. That's what some fans thought it was going to be, because we did a Voyager episode where another version of my program was sent into the future. So everybody knows that's in the same timeframe.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred years. What about my ship? What happened to my crew? It's safe to say the long.
Speaker 3: Dead, long story short. They pitched me a concept. They told me what the arc of the first season would be and how the Doctor would basically become a parent to the one hologram Cadet, and it sounded in interesting and you know, and she was, by the way, the first Cadet cast, Caris Brooks, wonderful fire, very magical actress with this incredible energy and zest that just bursts out of her. She was the first one cast. And they had this idea that my character would, through a technological reason, would parent her, would have an accelerated she would go through an accelerated childhood. That would be the eighth of the ten episodes.
Speaker 4: Well, they already had that mapped out that storyline.
Speaker 3: That's why my character was so resistant to her in the pilot. You're our first holographic student, the first of our kind, at least no one's mentor. She assumes that because I'm a hologram and she's read all about me, and she comes from a planet of only holograms. Interesting backstory, her plan and all of the organic beings that created these holograms to basically assist them, serve them, these artificial intelligences. There was a terrible some sort of a tragedy like a pandemic, because remember this was all conceived during the end of the COVID pandemic that wiped out all the organics. So her planet was nothing but holograms living together, developing their own society, living in isolation. Because he didn't quite know what to do, and they were sending her out as an emissary.
Speaker 2: And made you they're amissary.
Speaker 3: It is as the first effort to make contact with this newly reconstituted starfleet to see if they wanted to basically be part of the federation rather than live in isolation. That was the backstory.
Speaker 4: It reminded me of the Edo period in Japanese history. That those two hundred years where they just cut off from the rest of the world, and that this was the first, as you say, necessary reaching out to see if they were going to rejoin.
Speaker 1: It was very clever writing.
Speaker 3: So of course, very rude to her. That was the beginning because people couldn't understand why I was being so dismissive, and you know, but they they wanted to plan that, to lay that in that something was bothering my character, that we couldn't know what it was, but it would make sense later. To be honest, it's never my purpose.
Speaker 4: Well, it was always going to heart back to the there's a couple of episodes from Voyager Real Life in particular, which is a very fantastic episode where you have a hologram family goodbye, all goodbye, and then of course a blink of an eye.
Speaker 3: For each second that passes on Voyager, nearly a day goes by.
Speaker 1: On the planet because the time changed on Cask.
Speaker 5: Every three days on it.
Speaker 2: It was five years in that he had a lifetime of experience, a human lifetime of experience in what was eleven or twelve minutes it was, you know, he married, he had a child.
Speaker 3: They never explained to me how he could father a child that was glossed over.
Speaker 1: He was my.
Speaker 3: Son, but drew hologram.
Speaker 1: It's a long story.
Speaker 3: I don't know how a hologram would be anatomically correct. I don't know what kind of emergency medical procedures they were envisioning if they had given him. But that was we couldn't We couldn't quite address that, whether he whether one of his talents was being a sexual surrogate. When in my forties it excited the imagination somewhat now at my present age, I really but in any case, yes, blink of an eye, this same thing, and that's a Star Trek you know. That's a time game that they've played in many Star Trek episodes, in other iterations of Star Trek, where time passes at a different rate of speed so that you can have all these experiences and then return to your ship. I mean, let's face it, when we send someone off to Mars and back again, I'm the worst person is figuring out but a lot. Once we go beyond Mars, we're capable of doing that time. When we can travel at warp speed, you'll come back to a planet that you were, all of your colleagues and friends and family have died, So that's always been part of the Star Trek writer's imagination. I think different rates of speed in different environments, and then you come back and you've had a whole lifetime in a few minutes, or in the case of the Starfleet Academy, I think it's like twelve or thirteen days where seventeen years have passed.
Speaker 4: Eighteen years right, right, and you've become her parent. And yeah, there's some lovely acting in that episode.
Speaker 3: Please, you're absolutely right. It referenced both those episodes, but especially real life, and in fact, they showed little images, wispy images of the daughter that I had created eight hundred years prior. Bell from the moment you first walked up to me at the Operacle of Booth with the sweetest, most hopeful smile.
Speaker 1: I saw my daughter and the way she used to smile.
Speaker 3: And in this randomized program, a tragedy happens and I cannot save her life, and I have a deathbed scene with her. And when the writer of that episode, I believe was Joe Minowski, said, this is the birth of the doctor's human soul, is what he told me. This episode because of this tragedy and the depth that that it opened up feelings that the depth of which he'd never had before. Gone yes, and they built on that they wanted. Alex Kurtzen made it very clearly said we want to see I don't know how he phrased it, but we want to see a level of emotion that we have never seen in your character before.
Speaker 6: It really worked. I teared up at the end of that episode. I thought, I thought, both, you know, the A and the B story were fantastic. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was very interesting to use the thorough good the the play Our Town as a as a sort of, you know.
Speaker 5: Be story, but also a backdrop to the whole story that.
Speaker 4: You were going through, and that each one of the cadets their story was kind of referenced in that play too. It was some of the cleverest star trek writing i've ever.
Speaker 3: I agree, it was very deep. It's an American classic, that play. Just the notion that a play that the playwright, even in our moment in time, the playwright is long dead and the play is still done. It was being done on Broadway as we were shooting that episode, as we were about to and to their great credit, Alex Kurtzman and his company brought all of us to New York to see Jim Parsons from Big Bang Theory playing the stage manager and to see that production, and then we met the cast after, so we were all we not only you know, re read the play, but we saw it produced and then as a framing device with my character being starting out as the stage manager, but then the stage manager kind of becomes our chancellor Nala at the end, because the doctor has gone from being an observer of life to a participant in life by accepting this challenge, by daring to be a parent and to be part of the story rather than an observer of the story. All of that was very I thought, very smartly rendered.
Speaker 1: And the call.
Speaker 5: How did you feel about some of the vernacular?
Speaker 1: They were so modern and.
Speaker 4: Not what we're used to hearing in Star Trek, and some of it jumped out and smacked me in the face. What was your feeling generally speaking about that aspect.
Speaker 3: Because we are all from the Rick Berman generation of Star Trek where we spoke in this futuristic you know, mid galactic speech is what I called it. And in fact, your show had Hipper. You seem to have hip or speech on your show than we ever had on Voyage, So they were kind of moving in that direction, you know a little bit. But yes, it's a huge difference from what we're used to. My character had a scripted you know, said chicken shit in so three or something, and I literally went ooh, that'll be And obviously none of us I know you guys well enough to know that none of us are prudes with language without language in any way in our regular lives. But because of that instinct, we had that inner, you know, Star Trek motor that we were used to speaking a certain way from that generation of Star Trek that now is totally different. And it was a decision, obviously a creative decision made starting in Discovery. It's almost like the universal Translator is being used on us, the audience. Right, we don't know how to talking eight hundred years in the future, but it sounds like this to you now because it's contemporary speech for eight hundred years in the future. So why shouldn't it sound contemporary to you watching the show. I mean, I don't know how you want to justify it, but the point is it was an adjustment for me some old school Star Trek fans do not like it. They don't like the contemporary language. They made that clear to me. They also, I mean, let's face it, there we're in a moment in this country, a culture and political moment that's very different from three years ago when this show was conceived, right, and I think that it can safely be said that our show was out of step perhaps with the cultural and political moment that we are in now. Start tres core print. Value of diversity has always been the engine in my opinion, and now with diversity under attack and the whole notion of DEI having been kind of slimed, you know, diversity equity inclusion, which was an important goal and important value. Now it's being used as an excuse to say, oh, that person didn't deserve their job, they had an unfair advantage, they took a job away from this person, all of that stuff, which has nothing to do with the values of diversity, equity inclusion. It's like you're just taking a word, and like a word like woke and turning it into a dirty word. Who doesn't want to be woke? Who would rather be asleep during life? I would like to be aware, I would like to be aware of important values in life. I'd like to be aware to kindness, I'd like to be aware of equality. So I think woke is a good thing. But you can take any word and turn it into.
Speaker 4: It's been weaponized and uh and the it's been othered and and that's a shame.
Speaker 3: Well, it happened to be in the nineteen eighties with the word liberal. Liberal used to be a rule. Is God's love is liberal?
Speaker 4: You know geez, when you actually say that out loud, it's laughable, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Liberal, Yeah, they had to change it to progressive and now they're now progressive being made in a bad word. But yes, I think that Star Trek's core values are diversity, equity, inclusion. When you remove when you surgically remove them, I don't think it's Star Trek anymore. But that's uh, that's just me.
Speaker 6: Hey everyone, Connor Trenier here, Hey guys, Dominate Casing here.
Speaker 4: We want to thank you all for tuning into our Star Trek podcast, the Decon Chamber.
Speaker 6: We've officially opened our merch shop and we wanted to show you some of the T shirts you can get there right now.
Speaker 4: There are many designs, including these two wonderful ones.
Speaker 5: I went to Riser and all I got tied up.
Speaker 1: In a basement with him. And let me tell you, this is just the beginning. We've got so much more to come.
Speaker 6: If you want to check them out, head to the dcon chamber dot com slash shop and if you.
Speaker 4: Are a patroon you get a discount on all of It's a great way to support the show and wrap the decon Chamber at the same time.
Speaker 3: And you no new.
Speaker 1: Bob.
Speaker 6: Can you speak to the similarities and differences between the two sets, two shows wherein you played the same character.
Speaker 3: What's that? Of course? Well, you know, I thought it would seem really weird and to go back thirty years later and in many ways it's completely different. Our magnificent Atrium set. You could have taken every set of Voyager and not filled and not filled that one major set that we had. It was stunning. It was it gave you sometimes when we were shooting with a steady cam, you just you couldn't see the light. You felt like you really were in that world. It wasn't. And of course all of the things we used to do shooting in front of green screen, never seeing what we were actually looking at whether it was a planet surface or a giant monster. We all, you know, I remember when I'm in a Voyager episode when I'm supposed to be fighting this evil creature. The visual effects guy said, I said, what does it look like? He says, well, it looks like kind of like a giant blob of glowing linguini. And I, okay, does the glowing linguini have eyes? He goes, yeah, yeah, kind of up here. So they got like a broomstick and put a ping pong ball and that was the That was the head of the glowing linguini and I had to, you know, fight that. Now we see the glowing linguinie. We see everything, you know, the when we look out the window in our giant set, all of what's happening in the San Francisco skyline in the thirty second century, all of the different kinds of craft, but is all happening right there in real time, in high depth and is shot so there's no there's no green screen. When you work on the augmented reality stage, which I only did very little. I did not get to do it like the cadets who are going off on missions. But all of the background is shot is in high definition on this curved these tiled four K or maybe eight K digital screens that are tiled to form a completely seamless sort of curved panorama, isn't it? Yeah, and everywhere you look. But it's based on gaming technology, so the camera is the player. But what that means if you're a fixed person in front of the background and the camera moves, then you see the background whooshing behind the person you're talking to, but it looks great to the camera, so's.
Speaker 4: Tract for the actor to moves behind the camera. On set, you're like, stay filled exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm looking at you and your background's going like that, and it gets you a little seasick. I didn't work enough on it to have to face the challenge, but obviously people who worked on the Mandalorian and people who worked on the Cadets on our show, who were on Planet Surfaces and all that, they dealt with it much more than I did. But all so, but still you're doing the same kind of you know, imaginary future that Star Trek has always presented. So yes, the sets were more magnificent, yet the shooting technology, the actual craft of making the show was way advanced, thirty years beyond my Voyager experience. Still, the storytelling is similar enough that you feel you still feel like you're in that the same world. It's just on a much bigger, more expensive, and more fully realized basis. That makes your acting ultimately makes it easier. It wasn't hard to get back in the camera. I'm in the camera in the character. I mean, let's face it, I am thirty years older, twenty pounds heavier, three inches shorter than when I did Voyager, playing a character who's not supposed to change.
Speaker 4: Right, you're letting good night, And I got to say, showed me that video of the.
Speaker 1: Test, the video when they were making you younger looking.
Speaker 3: Yes, I wanted to do an episode. Now we can talk freely about it because the show's canceled. The fans reminded me in social media throughout when Discovery was on the air and Discovery jumped into the thirty second century, all of these fans were saying Picardo could be on the show.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Remember in the episode, the Voyager episode, Oh Gosh, Living Witness, when his backup program is discovered seven hundred years in the future and then he goes off at the end, helping people. I'm a doctor. He took a small craft and set a course for the Alpha Quadrant, attempting to trace the path of Voyager. So the fans remember this one episode, this one detail. Well, I wanted to meet my voyager, back up my old self and be as I looked at forty one, and play off myself as seventy one or now seventy two. So I wanted to play opposite my younger self and basically have my younger self ruthlessly insult my older self, saying, why would you possibly want to alter your opinion appear? Why would you want to look like that?
Speaker 4: Well, you jumping out of the bushes at Alex Curtisman, much like you did with Randon Rager.
Speaker 3: I did. I was jumping out of the bushes. I pitched this whole idea. Noga asked, and I told them, and they loved the story, and they said, they said something like it sounds like a season three story. They told me a long time ago. So now season three won't happen. So now you've heard the story. And I would love to have done it, to have digitally corrected my one performance to look like that and to insult myself, but then it would turn into something else. It would be My idea was that it would turn into a kind of a because my two characters are technological brothers. They're the same program but they started out with the same basic programming, but they've had different experiences in the interim that have changed them. But they're still like identical twins that have been raised separately. Right. So the idea is that because we both had a conflict leaden relationship with Daddy, who was our programmer, Doctor Lewis Simmerman, and my character on Starfleet Academy resolved that because we did a Voyager episode that was very much where the doctor tries to save his programmer who's dying. I traveled halfway across the galaxy to treat you. The least you could do is show a little gratitude, thank you, get out of here, and the programmer treats him terribly like he's a failed experiment, and the doctor has to prove himself to us. It's the play I never sang for. My father borrowed and put in star Trek, and that was my story idea on Voyager years ago. But I wanted to do a riff on that and these two, the doctor and his backup program, are children of the same parent. One has resolved the issues, the other hasn't. And after eight hundred years, those daddy issues, those parental conflicts, they don't go away if you don't deal with them, right, So it was a kind of a therapy message. Right. The baggage never goes away, folks, unless you deal with the baggage, right.
Speaker 4: It would have been a terrific episode, I gotta say. And that's a shame.
Speaker 3: It's too late now, damn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, were you nervous?
Speaker 4: I mean, you seem to say that you weren't going back on set and being there were some heavyweight access there too. You've got mister j Matsey and.
Speaker 3: Ms Hunter, Holly Hunter, who I've admired, I mean, who doesn't know her film career and broadcast News is one of my favorite movies. So working with Holly and you know, I got the few Holly is a very well she's obviously incredibly self assured and talented actress, but you kind of have to prove yourself to her. Since I was kind of baked into the deal. I was this old guy who was from Star trek and she didn't really know anything about me or my character. I kind of had to prove myself to her. But once I did, once she kind of went Okay, I see why this guy's here or I understand now, then I felt totally embraced by it.
Speaker 4: Do I understand that she would be have been part of the casting of the show the general you.
Speaker 3: Know, I've heard Alex say on stage that they wanted her from day one, that was their dream casting, from from the early conception of the character. That he's always been a fan of her, and he and Noga wanted wanted her from the get go.
Speaker 1: That's sick, I have to say.
Speaker 4: I mean, I yeah, it's amazing these people's cleverness in thoughts and casting that they.
Speaker 1: Would Gamatti is a perfect example. And he did he lobby at all for.
Speaker 3: This, He did he It's funny. You remember about three years ago three he was nominated for Best the Best Actor Oscar for a movie called The Holdovers. Yes, which he's just terrific, but he's terrific everything. I'm a huge fan of his since I saw him play John Adams on HBO right or more years ago. And also he's a famous name to me because his dad, Bartiomotti, was not only the commissioner of Baseball before that, he was the president of Yale. So when I graduated Yale, his predecessor Kingman Brewster. How's that for a name for a president of Yale, Kingman Brewster. His successor was Bartiamatti, who was Paul Giamatti's dad. So I'd always heard the name, and then when I saw he was an actor, Oh, he's so good, you know, and all that, But I had no idea. He was a hard core Star Trek fan, and in some of the interviews when he was nominated for Holdovers, apparently they said what else would you like to do? What are your dream roles? He said, I'd really like to play a klingon on Star Trek. He said it, and they reached out to his agent and said, we can make this happen. They actually heard through the media in an interview that that was a life dream, and so that character obviously was built for him. He loved doing it. He was like a kid in a candy store on the set. He just had the best time. He was so warm and complimentary to me, he said, just I talked to him after our Zoom meeting. He said, one of the joys of doing this has been getting to know you. I think the world of your work and all that, because he watched Voyager. His favorite his favorite track, he will tell you is Deep Space nine favorite. But he knew my work really well from Voyager. He was so complimentary to me and made me feel you know, you work with someone like that who's had such a glorious career, especially a character actor, right, I mean, let's face it, neither Paul Giamatti. None of us really look like Tom Cruise, although you know you guys looked a little like him when you were younger, saw never having been the leading man type. When I see a character man like Paul Giamatti who has had such a just a really great.
Speaker 5: History career, I mean really yeah.
Speaker 3: That when they look at another character guy like me and pay me that kind of compliment, and he only I mean he may have seen me in other things, but he really knew me from my character on Star Trek. So that's always a kick. And I'm sure it's happened to you guys, where some famous actor that you've admired, you meet them and then you find out they're a Star Trek fan, I mean Jason Alexander.
Speaker 4: I met at an Emmy party back in the day when we were the Hot Show, and I was at this party and he started waving and made a bee line. I actually looked behind you to see he was waving at straight up to me.
Speaker 3: When Dominic keating God, I love you.
Speaker 1: In that show.
Speaker 4: I got to say it was the biggest you kick as you say you can possibly imagine, yeah, because I remember.
Speaker 3: The first time that happened to me Voyagers, first or second season with and now he is now gone, but gosh, he's one of the stars of Goodfellas.
Speaker 1: Paul Oh, Sylvina.
Speaker 3: Paul Servino, forgive me for getting his name. Paul Servino came up to me. This is nineteen ninety six, and it said a SAG. It was the first SAG Award. I don't know if you guys know this, but the Screen Actors Guild Awards were created in ninety six. In the first year of them, Star Trek as a franchise, was given a special award for diversity in casting and all of the Star Trek family were there at the first SAGA Awards. Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and members of all of the casts, so there were like fifty of us. I think on stage. You can dig up that picture somewhere. Voyager was in its first or second year. But in the dining hall, Paul Servina was there because he was nominated for the first SAG Award for something. But he stopped me and talked to me. He was wringing his hands like nervously, like he was meeting them like the pope. And I'm going the whole time. I can't believe Paul Servina knows who I am. I can't believe he knows you know.
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 6: And I asked, So, you guys shot ten episodes a season, and was your the length of your shooting schedule similar to what it would.
Speaker 1: Have been on Voyager or our show?
Speaker 6: And how many day business days did you take to shoot an episode?
Speaker 3: All good, yeah, all good questions. We as you know, back in our day, we shot a show in seven days, correct, seven shooting days. But our episodes were basically forty three minutes long forty three change a few seconds because of credits and commercials. Now, the episodes can be any length that they target for an hour, but probably our shortest episode is fifty six minutes. Our pilot is seventy five minutes. So but basically we shot a ten day schedule for an episode. Some of them went over the pilot obviously took extra days because it was long. It was an hour and a quarter and bigger picture stuff, more effects, whatever, so, but basically they were scheduled of for ten shooting days. The days were long, just like the old days. I mean, you know, if you're in the last shot on a Friday night, you finished, you know, sometime between two am and five am on Saturday morning. And the old guy. I literally in season two, which I can't talk specifically about, I had a very complicated shot with a giant techno crane that was a little dangerous that I'm running in and I'm thinking, I've been here fourteen and a half hours. I'm seventy two years old. I'm running into a shot with a techno crane going around my head. I wish we'd done this a little earlier. But you know, the great thing about it is working with first of all, with all that young talent, it does keep you on your toes. It keeps you sharp. My goal was always to know my lines better than all the kids, which I often did, but not always. And Holly of r was immaculately prepared. You know, she worked because she had a huge burden and you know, and she just you know, she nailed it. She knew her lines cold and that you know, that's great because she's the leader, you know, the captain is always the cast. And that was the biggest similarity between this and Voyager because Kate Mulgrew was always immaculately prepared. Ever had to look at the script. Ever on the set. It was amazing.
Speaker 4: How was miss Hunter's character development discussed? Was it was that something that she came to set with on on the pilot or does it mean that did it more often evolve?
Speaker 3: She made it clear I believe that she was going to be her own captain. That was that was baked in when she talked you know, I think when she talked to Alex and Noga about the role, she I think because she I mean, she never said as much to me and but but but she basically was not going to she was going to go her own way in this role. And I know there was a lot of hay made on the internet about how she sat in the captain's chair. First of all, she's an incredibly petite person. She doesn't have an ounce of fat on or she probably weighs maybe ninety eight or ninety nine pounds. She's really trim, has amazing energy for being only I think five years younger than me. But she, you know, she had her own vision of how she was not going to obey. You know, these the rules for a captain and I'm going to do my own thing. I thought that was pretty. I was shocked sometimes right sometimes I went, holy shit, I wonder that's going to set the internet ablaze. I can't say what they are, but there are two episodes in particular that jump out at me that Holly has. They feature her amazing acting skills, unbelievably there. Each one is like a movie, and she has an extraordinary challenge. In two of those tenets episodes, they just they just went, we've got a great actress. We're going to give her a boat load of challenge.
Speaker 4: I noticed, particularly that first big scene between her and Paul Giamassi where he's just berating her and she's just listening, and she I've never seen an actor listen so artists arduously and with such intent before she just barely a flicker of the eye, but it was it was notable.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the scene the scene that I'm the episode I'm proud of the eighth one that we talked about earlier, where the doctor is parents a child. She witnesses my whole deathbed confession over my apparently dead you know, Hologram Cadet, who we cannot save. And I'm explaining to her quite emotionally, why I couldn't come through for her, why I could not I couldn't offer her the kind of support that and that she was asking for. And then she holly observes that and she is she really I don't know how else say it, but you look in her eyes and she has what is empathy? How do you play empathy? How do you act empathetic? She in just looking in her eyes, she has wells, just deep wells of of empathy, of emotional support. Even if she feels helpless and doesn't know how to, you know, she is listening, and you know she gives a shit in a way that you know, I don't know how, I don't know how it could be acted any more powerfully because she had to do a lot of that you know in that episode and others. So she has deep wells of that. And part of that is that her understanding character, having four hundred and twenty years of life experience and you've seen she's seen a lot, and that has informed her empathy. So, you know, she did a I really like the fact that she just went, you know, way off the she went way off the farm. As far as of starfleet captains, she just like, you know, I'm going to go way over.
Speaker 1: It was scripts.
Speaker 4: It wasn't that she was barefoot in the first scene, and that was a sort of you know.
Speaker 3: Jumping out point again. Whether that was I don't I can't honestly say whether that was the off the writer's idea and she ran with it, whether that was hers it was scripted. I think in episode two where she's walking barefoot, she they really wanted to create a contrast between her and the head of the war college. Wonderful actor Raoul Yes who plays Kelrich. You know, he's supposed to be sort of shocked with in the same way that much of our audience was shocked by the way she sat in the captain's chair. He's supposed to have never seen a Starfleet captain like her and criticizes the fact that she's walking around barefoot, and then she gives us long talk on the health benefits of being barefoot, you know, and the free ions that are being absorbed in your feet or your body, whatever the heck.
Speaker 1: It is, it's surrounding.
Speaker 3: I can say whether that was the writer's idea and Holly just took it and ran with it, or whether that was one of her asks. You know that she liked that idea, but clearly you know she and also the glasses wearing. You know, we've healed all eye problems post Dardan LaForge, Right, we've fixed everybody's eyes jump out. Yeah, but remember when you're a four hundred year old creature and you're only half lanth and I presumably her dad we don't know yet, but her dad is thousands of years old. Why wouldn't he have a pair of readers in his top drawer that all kids go through. Your father, your parents' top drawer. I know I went through my dad's and even though those readers were probably, oh, I don't know, eleven or twelve hundred years old, he didn't need him. He just left him there from centuries ago. You might play with him as a kid. You know what, I'm taking a long walk around the block. But my point is, we don't know how a four hundred year old creature with a thousand year old father would behave. They might like antiques. She certainly had a victrolla yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the exactly the record player was a lovely note. And I love the fact.
Speaker 1: That she had a sort of drinks cabinet.
Speaker 4: And you know they weren't shy and having a whiskey now and again, why wouldn't that, Why wouldn't that still be around in five hundred years time?
Speaker 3: And what an amazing set her office was, just glorious, And all of those sets, I got to tell you, I feel for those sets as I feel for my fellow actors. I feel sadness that those sets are just going away. I mean that my fellow actors were moving on to other parts of their career. All of these wonderful young talents will have will have great careers in the future, but those sets are being dismantled and cut in pieces now, and that like breaks my heart. They were so spectacularly crafted, they really were.
Speaker 1: They're just beautiful.
Speaker 5: Tell me a little bit about Guya Viola Violo. I couldn't find much about her on the internet. She seems to be sort of, you know, an enigma.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's I don't know exactly all. The thing I found most fascinating about her is that she's born in Italy, in a town. She's born in Sicily, in a little rural town, and came here in her teens sometime I believe, maybe her late teens. She spoke perfect English. I mean, if you heard her talk for five minutes, you might go, oh, maybe, you know, you might hear just a little something that made her sound. But the first two or three times I talked to he, I had no idea that English was her second language. Super smart, very youthful. I have no idea how old she is. She looks like she's in her mid thirties. And she wrote the pilot. It was really you know, she's She is not one of the two show runners, and I don't think she has been a showrunner before. But the pilot episode is her soul writing.
Speaker 5: Credit created it.
Speaker 4: I mean I thought her, Yeah, she's credited as creator. But it surprised me that she wasn't one of the show runners. But she've written me Absentia and a couple one other show that I noticed, but other than that she's there is no presence of her.
Speaker 3: On the innet. Yeah she is. And when I told her that I'd been in Sicily with my wife and my daughters and my brother about two two and a half years ago, and I told her some of the places she went. We saw these more recently excavated this estate that had all these incredible baths in all these mosaic child baths, and she said, oh, that's right near where I grew up. I was like, because it was a very kind of remote part of Sicily, and I thought, how amazing that I'm working with someone who was born you know, we're both Italian heritage. All four of my grandparents came from Italy. But here I'm working with someone who was actually born there. Even though she's in her thirties, maybe forty at the most, she has become so ad at English that she has written this amazing pilot with students speaking in today's vernacular, even though they're said in the future. You know what. I was completely impressed with everything about her, and she was very easy to talk to. They listened to me because they knew that I know my era of Star Trek certainly knew my character. I pitched them jokes relentlessly, and some of them got into the pilot. There's a in the pilot episode I say exactly the same line I said in Voyager thirty years prior. I said, The fans with me. Well, it's the first laugh I get in Voyager. They've just activated me. My character has no affect, no personality. He's in the middle of a crisis. And I say it. And I start looking at all of these injured and I call for a tricorder. Tricorder, and Harry Kim hands me one, and I look at him with an incredible withering look, and I said, medical tricorder, Medical tricorder. And then he goes and gets me the appropriate one with a detachable sensor. I said to the producers, we have an opportunity here. When the when the cadet has swallowed her combadge, that was the out of the scene, she said, I the descripted line. She goes, I think I've swallowed my combadge and I say, already that was cut out, right, And I said, can we just shoot something you can cut it out if you don't like it. So I say, already, and I go trycorder medical, trip, trycorder medical, try quorder and then I and then I scanned her and I and when I give her a shot, and I also did another line I did in voyage her. I said, oh, don't be a baby when she winces at the shot. So I just I just kept throwing in things from three thirty years ago, and they they left them in.
Speaker 1: So oh blast.
Speaker 6: It was great to see Tony knew some penless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's great. First of all, she is hilarious. She's got an amazing improv background, so she's very funny, but also an accomplished dramatic actress, so it was great. She co wrote that episode that she appears in playing that character, and she's also a big Deep Space nine fan, and she knew my character well and wrote some of the fun interaction I had with Tig Nataro was written by her, and that was really fun. I mean, I love Tig's stand up comedy, and I thought she's a natural character for me to annoy the crap out of because my character gets very enthusiastic and that's annoying when he's enthusiastic about something, and she as dry as a bone. So I said to her, because I don't think she knew anything about, you know, my old days on the Old Show. And I said, when my character is excited about something, he's completely annoying and overpower. He wants you to be as enthusiastic as he is. So we could really have some fun with this. So we did. You know, I coached her on how much I was going to annoy her because you know my backstory and any I even pitched her a piece of comic business, which she executed just brilliantly, and we get a really nice laugh on that. Because I have these little megaphones in this little we're doing this special it's almost like a satire of a satyr in the Jewish faith. We're doing this ceremonial meal that has all these ridiculous ridiculous that has all these important you know, rich place setting a place for you know, in case Elijah shows up, we need an extra place at the table, and we wrap up the yff coach. I mean, whatever, the all these things that are part of the meal. And again, I love going to satyrs, so I'm not all I'm saying that you have to learn when you go to a satyr as a guest, you have to learn the meaning of everything. Well, we were doing that in this episode. And we had this ceremonial meal with little megaphones that you talked through and and I kept trying to force Tiggs character Reno to talk through the megaphone and she finally grabs it out of my hand and goes, no, that was funny.
Speaker 1: That was a scene.
Speaker 5: That was a scene who was coming to dinner?
Speaker 1: I forget who the the.
Speaker 3: The We never meet the person coming to the from a another Holly. Holly is standing in for the diplomat. And it really was a nice episode for kel Rex's character, the head of the War College, because we saw his vulnerability and we saw the beginning of a friendship developing between him and and Nala. So that was great, uh, you know, because he's the one who feel, you know, like we're supposed to be helping him prepare for this event, and by making fun of it a little at the end, he gets very angry and walks out. So it was it was a fun plot.
Speaker 4: Well, it's too bad that they you know, shopped it and it's I think this had at least another two seasons in it, but I got to say I really enjoyed watching it. I saw it all and the Furies episode alone was just wow, Wow, what an hour of TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, Look, first of all, thanks for watching it. We've all, god knows, we've all spent a lot of our lives lives in science fiction, so it's not always at the top of your list to watch more. But I appreciate you watching it, and also shows how well prepared you guys are as interviewers, which is what makes doing your show such pleasure to do. Thank you, min Thank you for doing your work.
Speaker 1: You know well, you look great.
Speaker 4: I'm really glad you had the experience to go back and play this character again and you do it so well and resting bitch face or not.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I feel grateful, you know. I feel grateful to the fan community, grateful you know, to the franchise for having been so good to me. And I'm grateful for my family, for you guys, and all the wonderful actors and friendships I've made, all the actors that I've gotten to know, the friendships I've made over the course of this thirty years have been you know, the best bonus of the of the job.
Speaker 4: It really comes down to roost, you know, as each decade passes as it were, and what a family this is, and that we're forever joined in something quite wonderful.
Speaker 1: And there's been the sixtieth year, God bless.
Speaker 3: And one quick side note for you, Connor, remember the short film we made called ben Frankly that where you're you're the history teacher and you want to pitch a movie about Benjamin Franklin. I am playing Benjamin Franklin right now in seventeen seventy six, the musical So I think of you all the time.
Speaker 1: Let me go Wonderful. Where's that being put on here?
Speaker 3: It's just in my theater club here. I do it just for joy, not for money. We rehearse for a couple of months and we do like three performances. But it's my skills up. Some of the actors are professionals, some of the miameters. It's really just for me and I'm.
Speaker 4: Seeing beautifully and it was lovely to see them bring the opera back into the Academy.
Speaker 3: I wish it hadn't been so early. It was a lot to learn for someone who doesn't read music and sings by ear, but I was happy they did that too. I thought that was really nice touch.
Speaker 5: Well, bless you mate.
Speaker 4: I love to seeing you again and it was nice to see you on the cruise just now, and we'll see you in Vegas.
Speaker 3: I hope yes you will.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you so then thanks you love mane no noyebye.
Speaker 3: It's commos
Speaker 2: Commos, it's commis.