Speaker 1: From h Town.
Speaker 2: This is a for h Town, This is Houston, This is Sports Talk Saturn night because.
Speaker 1: Right now you see it Leighton Houston.
Speaker 2: Right now, going back to Sean Salisbury, it's a big week for the Astros as they pursue to try and re sign Alex Bregman.
Speaker 3: Reportedly by Bob Nightingale, the Astros and Alex Bregman are fifty million dollars off. Dana Brown spoke to make sure I get this correct.
Speaker 4: I believe it was.
Speaker 3: Indeed, it was a MLB network radio on Sirius XM. He spoke yesterday at the winter meetings. This is what the general manager for Dane Brown had to say.
Speaker 5: Look, Gregman's outstanding, you know, great defender, good bat quality, ab all the time, done great things here in Houston.
Speaker 4: We're working, we're working on it.
Speaker 5: You know, we're having a lot of conversations with Scott and you know we're optimistic.
Speaker 6: It's certainly going to be an important factor for you, and I guess the question is if you don't get them right, everybody has to have Plan B. Where do you pivot from there? Knowing that maybe you could upgrade first base a little bit, you could find somebody else for third base and the trade market. We hear Aeronanto's name out there at Damas is off the board now, so that's another guy that could have gone there. Uh, do you have internal solutions for first or third other than Singleton and maybe Debond playing But where do you where do you see the infield if not Bregman?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say the internal solutions are maybe a little bit away, so maybe another six to eight months, maybe a year, So I don't think it's going to be internal. But you know, sometimes these young kids will will fool you and you know, they'll come in camp, they'll look really good. They'll you know, they've they've worked their tail off in the off season, so you never know. But we're not taking anything off the table. Uh, you know, hopefully you know, maybe by trade or you know, something like that. But nothing's off the table. You know that we don't have to compete. We want to remain good. Uh, but we're focused on Bregman first, So that's our priority. It's been our priority from day one. Get a third basement signed, so uh, you know, we want him to come back.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So there's Astros general manager Dana Brown speaking on MLB Network series, XM Radio and the Willie Domas, Sin and Sean. You mentioned it last segment briefly, that is going to propel Bregman over two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 4: She got one hundred and eighty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd think at least right around two hundred million somewhere in there. I and listening to Dana, and I think they do want him, and I think it is a priority. Here's a problem if you want to get it settled, if it's probably if you want to, you want know how you get third basement back? You have to pay him, offer him two hundred and ten million bucks. Yeah, and you'll probably get him. So, I mean, I know, hey, we want him here, and we're well, and I'm with Dan one hundred percent. But the way you're going to get him here is probably not by being fifty million dollars away. That's just it's pretty simple math. You want him here, then you're you're probably, in your book's gonna have to overpay a great deal that you're not used to doing here. If not, then you're gonna have to find a third basement. It's pretty it's really not that complex right now. No, No, it's not you know what he wants. It's really not. It really isn't you know what he wants. You're not gonna you know, you're not gonna be negotiating down. And it's not that it's not that hard. It may be hard to do them because there may be eight other teams are gonna sy oh, you offer him two ten, okay, we want him so much, we'll give him two twenty five? Who knows? And then where's your ceiling where you say, no, that's our that that's a etched and stone. We ain't going to pass this. But fifty million, ain't it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? That that much distance. So it's it's not like, oh man, we got to go through here and we got to go trade for him, and we're gonna have to give up. It's real simple. Do you want him outpay the opponent? If you're fifty or four million dollars short, then there's nobody who can say that. Well, they may have given it their best shot, but it wasn't a shot good enough to keep Bregman interested. And if you're going in today and you see a Domins's contract in Soto's, even though a different position, you start to think about the money that's moving, and it will move this offseason. If you're Alex Bregman, you're sitting there saying you're for me, the timeframes running, You're you're not waiting around. No, you don't want to miss the first wave of big bucks. And he's probably now I mean now that Soto's off, I mean one of the prized catches in the off season right now. So if it's like I said, it's not that big, we you know where you are, you know where they are if you want to do it, and you know where the market's probably going to be. It's a pretty simple thing. Scott, where are we Well we want six years, two ten, Well we're only willing to pay you one seventy. Okay, that's great. Is that your final offer? Yeah, we can't go any higher now, okay, why wish you luck? Yeah, and I'll see letter, see you in Boston or wherever else you're going. It's really that, it's not. I mean, you can get creative and say, well can we do this more upfront? One more money, whatever, But really the creative, you know, how do you shape it? You can tie that fifty million dollars up anywhere you want early, later, pay me now, pay me later, whatever it is you want to do. But there's a number that I'm sure Scott Borse is gonna want to get to. And if he doesn't, somebody else will. And that's just the simple math of this. Yeah, you don't have to go through trading prospects or any if it's you and a guy sit in a room. What's he want, Here's what we're willing to offer. What's your final offer? And it's either going to be good enough or it's not. There ain't gonna be a whole lot of Well, we're within fifteen dollars. Now, when you're within fifteen million, you're probably in striking distance. But other than that, he's as Soto left for the same price for one extra year off it was it for sixteen years.
Speaker 3: There were the Yankees offered him sixteen and it was like four million, five million less per year.
Speaker 1: Right, So, but what I'm saying, when you're up in a billion dollar area, yeah, you're like, so, yeaht caught in the tax wash, ok, five or six. But he literally is going across the street. And when I say at Brooklyn, through the Queens area, but literally across the Street to change a uniform play in front of similar fans, although Yankee and Bets fans may be different ones at the ball bar, but New York fans, same media is gonna cover him every day. Yeah, And he did that, and in truth, it probably came down to twenty million bucks, Yeah, million max. Right when you give all the years forty five million bucks a year right on on a guy who's going to make a billion dollars if you count endorsements, by the time this contract's over, he'll be well over a billion dollar over yea, counting his salary in that, Yes, that he will have just made in that fifteen years. Yeah. Problem. Matter of fact, we're probably if he plays like he's been playing, it'll be more than that.
Speaker 4: Right, So.
Speaker 1: And is and I'm sure back in his home country and internationally too. I mean, all the endorsements we don't see, right, It's it's it's a he's a a billion dollar player. So my point is is, and he can opt out after five years. Yeah, but why would you anyway? So to see what there so you scale that down into Bregman, it's a pretty it's it's simple math when you're not trading prospects or players. It's just how much money got Yeah, you know, throwing into like we'll throw in a range Rover's probably not going to be enough.
Speaker 3: You can buy ten of those. So what are you gonna do to get me to where I want to get? Fifty million dollars apart? According to uh Bob Nightingale, he also said the plan is for Houston to quote unquote enhance their offer soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, well what does that look like this week?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure that people thought Willie Domas was going to be around a little longer off the board. Yeah, and mayor he was a possibility for this team if in fact.
Speaker 4: He was their a quote unquote backup plan.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that backup plan is now a starter. He's not a backup. But you know I started at a star for for somebody else. So goes fast. When you say well soon, I would suggest that offer soon means like today, I would think so by tomorrow. It's because if it gets to my point, I'm also somebody makes me an offer that I can't refuse. Are you turning it down? Are you gonna sit there and go back? No, you're gonna say, oh, well you want to come up seventy million dollars to catch me. I'm just signing. I'm not going to miss out on it, which begs the question, is Pete Alonzo staying in New York?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're going to do both. I have no idea, man, that's that's going to be.
Speaker 1: You think you'd want to You just add a great player. You don't want to take a great player away from it? Right, you get both those power bats in your lineup. You really need that, Judge and Soto, Alonzo and Soto. Yeah, you'll take that if you're the Mets. I'm not. I'm not convinced he's leaving automatically. He California guy, isn't he?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Pee Alonzo? Yeah, come on now, I.
Speaker 1: Thought he's an Orange County or a California California. Well, he wouldn't have handled the means he went to Florida. Let's see Pete did. And Pete don't want to. He didn't want to come to Esco.
Speaker 4: He could scared. Yeah, oh yeah, that big polar bear mother.
Speaker 1: You know, he don't want to roll up on my in the mean streets. He's not He's not that dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he looks smart.
Speaker 1: Guy's not gonna roll up there.
Speaker 4: He looked a little lost walking through Esco.
Speaker 1: You don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: Hey man, what's that big white guy doing over here?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: The only basic white guy we allow here. I know he's actually from Tampa. Oh yeah, so he's a Florida guy. Yeah, one of those coasts you know where there's water, Yeah, right right, southern California. Yeah, you know, Florida's a big peninsula, you know whatever. It is, left coast, West coast, best good players from both. So he's a Florida guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't see him going to the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 4: I doubt it.
Speaker 1: But he rolled out, he rolling into Esco either. You know, what do you say? The only one seals?
Speaker 4: Hey man, The only big greeno that we like around here is Susy.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I don't like you pull up.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be that.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. No, I don't know, man.
Speaker 1: You know you're not allowing pads up. But what do you mean, Oh, it's Whitey blows everything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's it's it's it's hey man, what l a?
Speaker 4: What do you call him? We call him Beeter.
Speaker 1: That guy's name, that Peter Alonzo.
Speaker 4: Man huh Alonzo, Yeah, I mean kind of Yeah, baby, we'll welcome you, We would get maybe welcome him in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's uh, he's I don't know if he's gonna go back there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Willia Domas, by the way, headed to the Giants seven year, one hundred and eighty two million dollar contract only twenty nine years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big signing for the uh for the Giants and uh yeah, but but Pete Alonzo, he's fraid he's gonna get paid. So there's another big catch in this, in this price market.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and well Cohen's got a ton of money, so I wouldn't be surprised if they dump money into him too.
Speaker 1: Well, look, the Dodger's philosophies. One's not enough. So if you want to keep up.
Speaker 3: With you know what Steve Cohen's like, man, forget that deferred money. Gets your bat here you go. Oh yeah, ain't the dodder. No, he's a get it up, get it out, let's go. How much money you're like, that's final with me. I'm good to go.
Speaker 4: It's insane.
Speaker 1: I can get some interest off that principle. Man.
Speaker 3: Something else interesting coming from Bob Nightingale is that the Astros are aggressively trying to train one of their bullpen guys.
Speaker 4: Who is it. We'll discuss the next right here on Sports Talk seven y