Speaker 1: Hey, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Game and Former Show, a weekly podcast covering the video game industry. Join us each and every week for a discussion of the latest gaming news, reviews, and exclusive reviews with Game and Former staff and special guests from around the industry. I am your host, Marcus Stewart. I am joined by Charles Hart. Hi.
Speaker 1: Ho, Charles the Heart here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's Kermit the Heart. What was that noise?
Speaker 1: That was?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: That was when just when I laugh, I just kind of make that sound. It's like a it's kind of like I'm choking a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Well, that's good to know someone I hopefully is in better shape. Eric van Allen, Hello.
Speaker 3: I didn't know we were supposed to be doing voices today. Brother, I can't. I can't do a bane on command. I gotta like work my way into it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: At first, some reason, I was really certain you were Magneto from the X Men.
Speaker 3: There's a small difference between them. It's just one is like to me, my X Men, and then the one is three or my x Man.
Speaker 2: It's not a Sean conneriness to it. And that I was trying to figure out which Muppet you were doing, like which muppet sounds like Sean Connery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's a crazy take on miss Picky.
Speaker 3: That's like a delta of like Sean Connery, Magneto and Baane, you know, and you just kind of like pivot around.
Speaker 2: That sounds like every I can't even say high schoolers because Sean Connery really ages a lot of people, but that sounds like a Venn diagram of what like someone of a certain age considers like pinnacle coolness is like the intersection of those three names.
Speaker 3: You gotta put like Sonic the Hedgehog on there somewhere too, because there are there are a lot of people who they even shadow the Hedgehog shadow. That's the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: That's the person that has a boon a Boondock Saints poster hanging in nerve room. Back when that was like the definitive like I'm cool and I love cinema and no disrespecting boot doos ants. I think it's a good movie. But there was an and I say this to someone, I had a poster that was like the era of like I'm showing how cool I am because I like the Boondocks Saints, I had a Fight Club poster in my college dorm room.
Speaker 1: What I want to make a joke come out. I never had a poster. But that's also in that.
Speaker 3: You gotta what you call it, the most flanderized version of yourself for sure.
Speaker 2: Well everyone, we hope everyone is living their best life as well. We're gonna we got a bunch of games talk about. We're gonna be talking about Fire Emblem, Fortunes, Weave sixteen sixty six Amsterdam Marvel Tocon Fighting Souls, as well as a one point zero launch of Fields of Mystery up. But before we do that, you know, the best way to support Game Informer is by getting yourself a Game Informer magazine subscription. That's right holding up the magazines here if you're watching the video version. We've got our current cover story on only Musha Way of the Sword. But hey, Eric van Allen going way back, holding up the Assassin's Creed Revelations.
Speaker 1: Issuzy pull.
Speaker 3: My new bit is reaching behind me for just random issues of Game Informer and seeing what I find. And it's been pretty fun so far.
Speaker 2: I was like, he's holding up the issue he was reading when he had the fight Club poster hanging up.
Speaker 3: In his dim I'm not kidding the timeline my matchup.
Speaker 2: But yes, go to Game Informer dot com slash subscribe. A magazine subscription gets you tan is. She's a year both in print and digital as well. You can go to your bookstore, news stand and other businesses, both in the US and abroad, and by single issues of Game Informer were all over the place. We've mentioned before. We're in Australia, We're in the Netherlands, We're in Canada, We're in all sorts of whatever country eleven that has us on your bookstore and newsstands. We find us there. Please let us know where you find us. We always love hearing where people are finding Game Informer. It helps us out a lot as well. And yeah, like I said, is the number one way to support us and help us continue to do what we do. Gamiforma dot com slash subscribe. What is that, Eric, Nintendo moving into HD big news. Yeah, they're finally doing it. That was the big feature in the Revelations issue was talking about Nintendo's moving.
Speaker 3: That was like, I'm not kidding you. I think that's the first article in the magazine past Like the toc is Nintendo moves into HD like this is huge news.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what else is huge news is Fire Emblem fortunes Weave. We had a Nintendo direct recently sort of laying out uh, kind of its big sort of gameplay and narrative layout, breaking down to game systems, talking about the apparently the real plot of this game, just the game where you're controlling four different kind of champions and as sort of like Roman gladiator esque competition called the Heroic Games, I believe, and uh, sort of like in reality being this kind of like future character who is like manipulating the events of this tournament in the future to kind of help prevent and incoming apocalypse of sorts. But uh, Eric, you've been checking this game out, you know more about it than probably any of us here. How what do you think of Fire Emblem and what can you share with us so far about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's Fire Emblem. I'll tell you that up front. It is as somebody who's played a lot of these games coming into this. I started with Fire Emblum on Game Boy Advance, you know, the first one that came over to the US, and I've loved the series ever since. And I was going into Fortunes. We've kind of wondering, Okay, what is the what's the setup, How's it gonna work. Is this going to be more of a three houses type game. Is this going to be more of a traditional fire emblem. Is it going to maybe find the middle ground like Fates and Engaged kind of did. And the answer is is just a lot. It's a really really big game in ways that I can't even start to tell you about because of the restrictions of our preview window Embarco, but Firemlin Fortunes weave like they showed in the direct the setup is that you are going back to change the causality, change the events that would happen in order to build up your forces against this great evil. And that is kind of your framing device for how you end up working with these four lords who we know are Kai, Theodora, Dietrich, and Letta, and they all kind of have different approaches reasons why they're in the heroic games. And the cool thing is playing through this stuff. You do play as the lords. You're playing through their stories through their eyes with the future timey stuff kind of used as a framing device for you to jump between them or to offer insight, offer foresight. There's there's kind of ways that your character ends up giving them help in some ways. Usually it's through this kind of mechanic in the game called the Pale Ravens Perch, where you go and talk to this this bird who gives you foresights about an incoming battle that kind of gives you a hint towards what the end of chapter battle will look like so you can build up your forces, but the actual playing of firem unfortunes weave. So I picked Kai because he.
Speaker 2: Seemed like like is either like happy go like the kind of like plucky kid.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's he's the plucky kid. He's very gone from from Hunter ex Hunter coded like he is he's there to have an adventure, And I was like, cool, this seems like a really good protagonist type character to start with, versus Dietrich is basically just Ala card from Theodora. Is this like war warrior, queen conqueror hype? I don't know a ton about her. She seems really interesting. I'm mentioned she's wonder woman.
Speaker 2: If we're gonna keep assigning other characters to these people, is she is she like Amazon.
Speaker 3: Like like Dom wonder Woman. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: She's got a little bit of just wonder Woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Eric, there's a little bit of Ivy from Soul Caliber in there. She has this really cool like not bionic arm, but like just arm that that where her powers kind of flow from, because all the four lords have these blaze arts that are their superpowers that kind of give them their edge over all the other units. And Kais is from a like a pearl in his hand, Dietrix. I actually don't know where Dietrix comes from because I haven't like played as him yet. There's probably information out there speculation as to where it comes from. But Theodora has the the arm like this this giant arm that she can use to like throw rocks and stuff like that. And then Leta has the uh I forgot the name of the universe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost, but it's like, yeah, the Spanish Spanish.
Speaker 1: Loot type thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's It's got kind of like a Flambanco tune to it, and she'll like strum it and then it can kind of do different things depending on what she opts to do. I think in the direct they showed uh summoning the beasts and stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the totality of what that is yet, and I'm being very coy because I've really just stayed focused in on playing Kai's Path because the way the game takes it is you can jump between paths if you want to, or you can focus in on one path, and it just kind of gives you an option to do what you want to do. And I can't talk about the overall structure of the game too much, but I like that in this game, you know, Three Houses, I really loved for the way it made you make a choice and said, you've got to make a choice, live with the consequences. Who are you willing to put your weight behind and fight for ultimately? And I thought that was a really really cool thing and let to some really differing routes with differing outcomes that had a lot of emotional impact. I know that there are also probably a lot of people who played Three Houses and were aching for some sort of golden route, some sort of way to see everything and do everything and have everybody on your side, et cetera. I'm not sure if that exists in Fortune's Weave. But the nice thing about Fortune's Weave is that if you hop into a lord's story and you get three chapters in and you're like, I don't really know if I'm vibing with this or I actually kind of want to go see what's going on with this other character, or maybe it ran into that character once I got to Dagson, which is the main city where the heroic games are taking place. Which, by the way, the hero games, like you said, gladiatorial combat where the winner gets their wish granted. It's very holy Grail war coded.
Speaker 2: Twisted metal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, twisted metal. Yeah, my favorite face day night's been off twisted metal and yeah, everybody's fighting for their dream to be fulfilled, their wish to be had. I only know what two of those are. I know what kaises which Kai? Yeah, I can talk about this. Kai wants to get his dad out of prison. His dad has been imprisoned for capital r reasons that happened in the story, uh, and he wants to get his dad out, So he's fighting in the games for that, alongside his childhood friends Tiala and Peter. Peter, by the way, one of my favorite characters, just because everybody else has fantasy names. It is like a fantasy warrior and then there's little Peter with his bo just trying to not die is just like Brad and Beast and reincarnation of like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like the Adventures of Elliott. Like it's just like that's just a name. What the heck?
Speaker 3: I love the vibe of just a dude in the coliseum who's just like, I'm just trying not to die. You know, I don't really know what I'm doing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Peter, don't want to ask.
Speaker 4: Referring to the characters as lords, yes, are they lords like they become lords or are they all going into it?
Speaker 1: They're like lords of some area already.
Speaker 3: I might even not be using the technical term for it in game. Lords is kind of a colloquial term that gets used in the Fire Emblem community for these are the like if you play firemlanm the Sacred Stones, f Raim and Erica are the lords of that game, or like Lynn is a Lord of the original or fire Emblum seven but Fire Emblem on the GBA that sort of the ike is a lord. It's just kind of a designation of this is a main character sometimes of some kind. They might have the Lord class, although I have not seen a lord class, but that it's kind of just a helpful designation to say, like, these are the focal viewpoint characters.
Speaker 1: So that's when I use that, that's i I refer to it.
Speaker 2: I think in the Nintendo direct they call them champions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'd be another way to put it. Because the way it works is you enter the Heroic Games and you make a clan as like a team, and they all have names, and you compete in these matches. The early matches are basically just qualifier matches where they have you kind of working with or against other teams to determine like who is the strongest and all that, and so you get to kind of see all the different characters and meet them and stuff like that, so you get an idea of what they're doing before you go into that. So with Kai, we form the clan of Ribera Wins, and it was made up of like Kai and his two childhood friends. But then as the game goes on, you can recruit more characters through you build up renown, which is kind of a meter that's like as you do quests, as you achieve things, even as you do stuff in the game that's considered like building your prestige, building your perception amongst those and DAGs in and around the games. It'll build your renown and then you hit certain renown markers that will open up more activities for you. It's kind of the gate for some of the more complicated and involved mechanics in the management side of the game, and then also opens up recruitment for other characters alongside support, which you can do support stuff. You can talk to character characters, you can give them gifts, you can eat meals with them, you can do things like that to kind of build up your support and rapport with characters, eventually getting support conversations, which are classic fire emblem two characters talking, story builds up between them, see how their friendship grows. Each character kind of has different levels of supports. I have some characters that have tons of supports that I can unlock. It looks like some characters that only have like two or three.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't know if they have supports. You mean like they have options of people they can talk to.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it's interesting because that is depending on what FIREMM you play. There are a lot of characters who it's like this character can have supports with tons of characters, and this other character only has like a few And that's a pretty common thing, especially depending on whether the characters are really story critical or if they're just kind of an optional character you could get. I still don't have a sense of how important some of these characters I get are throughout the story, because some of them are definitely core to the story, work alongside the lords or champions and work with them, and it seemed kind of core to who they are. Other characters kind of just seem to be drifting through. You know, here's here's this guy who's a gladiator and he's just going to help out because you need somebody who can swing swords and you can recruit him if you need that. Or there's another character that was like I was going into a chapter where I was like, I could really use an archer. I don't really have a lot of Peter, who's kind of my main archer, but I could use a secondary archer, you know, if I run into a situation where I need range or to deal with flyers or something. And character opened up, it was like, hey, you can go recruit this character if you want. They're an archer and I was like, cool, awesome, thanksgame, and Anna a longtime Firemolm series stay shows up to kind of give you some direction on that and gives you this kind of board for every cow. We're getting into a lot. Okay, so this is a really big game. Between matches, between like chapter matches and stuff, there is free time where you can spend your time however you want. You have a certain amount of turns and each turn is like a segment of a day, and you have a certain amount of time between your matches where you can go train. You can go talk to characters, like I said, give them gifts, eat meals with them, try to recruit them, things like that. You can also just go explore the world map outside Dagson and go running around and farm resources, travel through dungeons. They brought back the dungeon mechanic from Fire Embalm Echo Shadows of Valencia. So you have kind of a small party and it almost it will remind a lot of.
Speaker 1: People of metaphor.
Speaker 3: They will see this and they will be like that looks like metaphor, and like, yeah, it kinda is like metaphor in some ways. Where you're in these very scaled back JRPG style party battles against other people in the dungeon, and it plays more like a traditional party RPG than a tactical RPG. But then you also have tactical RPG battles on the map as well. You have quests you can undertake for renown and rewards and things like that. There are other towns you can go to to visit to get items. You can find merchants on the map that will give you rare things. Some merchants only operate on a barter system, so you have to trade them certain rare items to get certain rare items in return. There's so much in this game that I think the really interesting thing for me is that you kind of have to juggle a lot of different systems early on, and it starts to make sense the deeper in you get. But I think the first few chapters where they start dumping all this stuff on you is a little overwhelming.
Speaker 1: At first.
Speaker 3: I was returning to the tutorials a lot. I was having to look at the menus to be like, Okay, if I need to do this thing, or I need to find this thing, or I need to look for this, how do I find that? And there are a lot of quality of life things that have been baked in to help with that, but you do have to kind of go find them. My hottest tip is that when you're looking at the city map and you tab over, you can see a list of all the characters that you have met already, and not only will it let you fast travel to where they are to go talk to them, but it will list their requirements for recruiting. So if they need like support level two and renowned level six or something like that, it will tell you that on there, so you don't have to make a spreadsheet like I did tracking all of that. It is in the game already that you madadsheet.
Speaker 1: I my you know's you though? Yeah? Yeah it.
Speaker 3: It did feel kind of cool to make because I just had this big thing and then I could sort it because the nice part was I could sort it and then I could be like, Okay, well I'm at renowned level three, but now I know that when I get to Renowned level four, these are the characters that will open up and I need to be at this support level with them, so I need to start working on their supports now.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I love a good spreadshet You don't you know you're pretty Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's a lot of people out there who might be listening to this and being like, Eric's a crazy person, and then like four people who are like that that makes brain gobert. And let me tell you this, This will make your brain go bert.
Speaker 4: But you don't have to. There's people like me that are like, oh my gosh, I don't want to go spread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was the part of the direct when I showed people how to open up microsoftic cell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it comes with a free Microsoft extent.
Speaker 3: You imagine the Sakarai presents where he teaches you how Google sheet works. That's what I'm talking about. But I'm enjoying it. It's it's really really good. I think it's good Firemlum. I think the the largest hurdle to overcome so far for for your traditional firemlum fans, because there is always kind of different parties in schools of thought about a fire emline game and how it should be, is that there are kind of the traditionalists who love those sorts of fire emblem of of your who want a more campaign driven, uh you know, durability driven challenge to get ready for this actually because I knew I was likely to cover this game in some way, I've been playing the old fire Emblum's on game Boy Advance just to kind of recenter myself and get back to, Okay, you know, where where did my history with this series start? And also remember kind of how Firemlum has changed over the years, because even from Firemblum seven on the GBA to FIREMLM Awakening, there's a pretty big difference in changing mechanics and things like that. So the interesting thing has been that it's cool to see the ways in which fortunes we've kind of ducks around certain trends and and things that have been true in FIREMBLM for a while, like there's there's not really a weapon wheel. There's and that's not new for fire Emblum. They've they've been toying with the idea of getting rid of that or just moving it more into the background with each new entry. But there are ways in which using certain weapons or how they can turn tune that from certain classes having access to certain weapons, or what those certain weapon classes can do that others can't. For example, like lances often have a higher priority against mounted units. In general, they're better against mounted units, and so you know that even though lances aren't going to be within a traditional triangle, you know that if you're going into a map with cavalry probably want lances.
Speaker 1: It's still cool to see that.
Speaker 3: And there's even some you know, combat arts are here, so there's a lot of playing with durability in that way where you can spend that durability to amplify your attacks. But then if you run out of durability on the weapon, it becomes a lesser version of itself. It doesn't break, you still have access to it, it's just a worse version of it. And there's been some really smart overall, just kind of like congealing of the different fire emlms here. In a lot of ways, this feels like a combination of a lot of fire emblems over the years of having all these different mechanics, all the the resource management and out of battle stuff that you saw in Three Houses School arc in having the maps, which the maps are kind of a I've had a few maps that are really really like and are standouts to me. They mostly happen within the coliseum, which should not surprise you, whereas the maps you kind of get into on the fringes on the outside of the city. You see a lot of them. They're very small, very fast battles. They almost remind me of playing Firemlam Heroes in a way. If you ever played that one. Oh yeah, that's the Mussile game, right, No, No, that's Fireball Games. Yeah yeah, Firemlam Heroes. The mobile game which was Fireblum scaled down to just four on four I think that was what it was when I was playing it, and just very small maps and very quick battles. Some of the fights on the outskirts of Dackson, where you're fighting on different maps against you know, Brandon like bandit encampments or wild animals or something like that, they kind of move faster and they go faster because you don't want those to be the long drawn out epic battles. You want those to be the story battles, right, And so I like it. I think it has found a really good balance of how to handle all that stuff, and the theming of the game is one that I really really have to emphasize.
Speaker 1: They nailed.
Speaker 3: This is such a good world. I mean, it's cool that we're going back to I forget what the overall world is called but three Houses virus. Yeah, because because fire molm traditionally don't get at me fire more heads if I'm wrong about this. But most gains, with the exception of say like path of Radiance into Radian Dawn and stuff like that, are kind of their own entries. But we are back in the world of Three Houses. So Fodling was the continent to the north, Dagda is kind of the larger area to the south, and we've actually in Three Houses. We saw characters from this region in that area. Now we're kind of down there, we do see characters from Fodland. No, not specific characters. I'm saying, like people from Fodland.
Speaker 2: People are like, hey, I'm from here.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, Like oh I I was in a town and they they were selling Fodland tea that they had imported from.
Speaker 2: It to T shirts like Photland yeah yeah yeah, like like I heart New York shirts.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I went to Gerrik Mack Monastery and all I got was this lousy T shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's really good.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's cool to see that because you get a sense of a larger world. But also, I mean just the music you can hear. I think one of the smartest things they did for promoting this game was to put some of the soundtrack on Nintendo Music, uh that you could listen to early bangers banger tracks in this game, like like non Alarmo, you can't listen to fire moment when you wake up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know, maybe they'll add that, but I think the theming of this game of taking this sort of it's it's Rome with some Spanish influence and even some North African influence and kind of that whole part of our world. Yeah yeah, yeah, like like there's kind of like a strip of land if you think about it like that in that area that all of it is combined together into this one locale and you have a lot of influences there throughout and you can even see it as you move around the world map and you see those different places and how they resemble that both in culinary, in sound, in just everything, and it's really really cool. I think it really works, and it just adds that moment if you get into a fight in the coliseum and the guitars start kicking up and there's kind of just like a pace to it it like it weirdly brings me back to like the Ridley Scott Gladiator because there's even a dude that goes out into the arena. Is like back in the year so and so, the great battle was held between this general and another. Today we recreate this with our competitors and it's like it it gets your blood going. You're like, yes, dude, this is awesome.
Speaker 4: Do you think Marcus is gonna like this as a like wrestling fan. Does it evoke any of that sort of energy at all?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it has wrestling in I guess.
Speaker 2: It's like the spectacle of wrestling because it's so adjacent to I mean, if you really want to trace the lineage of wrestling, I mean like wrestling back in like ancient Greece and Rome and stuff.
Speaker 3: Then it really comes down to do you think it's cool when this there's like this crew of ragtag heroes trying to make it, trying to survive and then roaring out. There's like some chariots that come out and you're like and it's all dangerous and you're like, how do we deal with these things? And you're having like band together it Like I was thinking about the Ridley Scott Gladiator movie constantly while.
Speaker 2: Playing scanned sequel. I'm sure, right, there's a sequel. I've never I never I never watched the sequel. I was like kind of interested in it, and then it just fell off my radar, so I never got Okay, I think it'd be good research for this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right.
Speaker 3: I gotta watch the second Gladiator as well. Yeah, Fireing Blum Fortunes Weave. I think the slice that we've seen so far has been pretty pretty cool. As a Firemlue fan, I'm pretty excited for this one. Yeah, it's Fire Amblem.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, game comes out very soon. It's like next it's a September release, right, one of the fifty.
Speaker 3: You're saying very soon, we're still like a month out, which in game release calendar time is still eons away because there's so many I think of it in terms of how many games between then and now, and there's there's many mini games between then and now, so we do have some time, but.
Speaker 4: It feels about about five weeks from the day this episod.
Speaker 1: So it comes out okay.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes with game releases, it either is far away, but then sometimes it feels like it's tomorrow, because sometimes it just releases just creep up on you. Yeah, you know, having fun.
Speaker 3: It's it's always there, you know, there's always new games coming out, in new things that we're seeing speaking of yes, Marcus.
Speaker 2: And by the way, yeah, and by the way, off the top of you might have if you can hear rain and thunder. That is on my end because I live in Florida and it's the summertime and we get a lot of that during this time. But I like to think it adds like a nice maybe like a cozy atmosphere if you like that. But also I think it's great table setting because thematically it fits the next game about to talk about just sixteen sixty six Amsterdam, which I got to go see. I got to travel all the way to Amsterdam itself to go play an hour of this game, which on paper sounds insane to go to travel that far to play an hour of a video game. But that that's out. Is this business be sometimes? But yeah, if you've heard of this game, it's been around for a long long time, And honestly so I wrote through the new story when they re revealed this game during some Summer games fest and in it, I phrased it as if it was like a new reveal because I had forgotten that this had been floating around since like the early twenty tens. But in a way, it still works the way I framed it, because I think this is still it the first time it's ever had like a formal reveal, Like I think it had just been known by name as a thing that was kind of maybe happening in the background, but never had like it never progressed far enough to get like a full proper reveal back in the day. I guess, like short recap. This is the next game by Panash Digital Games, which is the studio led by Patrese de Sila, who you might know that name as he's kind of credited as one of the principal creators of the Assassin's Creed series. Formally at ubisof he was the director of Assassin's Creed one and two and was one of the lead writers on Assassin's Creed Brotherhood when he left Ubisoft under less than great terms, and this game was sort of something he conceived while he was at Ubisoft, Like he's told this story before where he took a family vacation to Amsterdam, came across a building that had a marker that said Anno sixteen sixty six, and sort of like the spark of an idea of setting the game or making a game set in the seventeenth century in the city was something that he had been wanting to play with. And we actually, you know, Patrice was on this trip and part of the preview beat was that we took like a two hour city tour where we just walked around with him and a local historian and he's just kind of like they're pointing out buildings, and some of the buildings are in the game, and then some just sort of like took some thematic inspiration. But he took us to the Anno building and he talked about how originally he was like, oh, it'd be cool to make an Assassin's Creed game in Amsterdam, which makes sense because he was still at UBI Soft. Just because of the architecture and you know, like it's if you've ever seen or been to Amsterdam, like it is nothing but just like rose and Rose and Rose of like built like very narrow but tall buildings. A lot of them have very like crooked facades kind of like in some cases intentionally. In other cases, it's because Amsterdam is built on basically swamp land, Like there's a lot of river ways, Like it's very much like I think the nickname has it's the Venice of the North End because of that building started to sag under the saturated earth until they were reinforced with more modern means over the years. So it's just got like a it's got a funky look to it that kind of makes it ideal for like setting up cool sort of like open world sandbox to like run around in h He never got to do that with Ubisoft because he left went to go to TCHQ in Montreal and where he kind of started working on the game. Then THHQ went out of business and then funny enough, Ubisoft bought THHK Montreal, So I mean he was brought back into Ubisau, but then he was immediately terminated when he came back, and there was a whole legal battle that kind of spun off from this because they terminated him. But the IP and depending on who you listen to on both sides, Patrese kind of ash said that, hey, they basically tried to steal my idea and didn't want me there. Would be off, kind of said the opposite, and he kicked off like a year's long legal battle that Patrese won and got the rights back to the game. And fast forward many years later, he's been working on it since twenty twenty and now it's about to launch in early access August twenty fifth. So yeah, a lot of a lot of turmoil surrounding this game, and after playing it for an hour, I'm I'm like cautiously hopeful that'll be worth it. The synopsis is that it's actually set it's set in sixteen sixty six, but it's actually taking place over the course of three periods, which is it's pretty appropriate coming from the guy that made Assassin's Creed the sixteen sixty six Like main Eras has he controlling a witch named Noah who is kind of a newiated into her well say coven. I think they're they're called the Zandaris, and she has the role of a collector, which is like a very specific but important role in the faction, where she is tasked with hunting down these entities called originals, which are these beings that a long long time ago in the game's lore, the Zanders had given specific humans this ancient magic called nucks with the idea of like, hey, this is really gonna help humanity. We're gonna only pick the people that we think are most worthy to have this, but it basically gives them these powers, and I guess also allows them to kind of live almost forever, it seems like. But then I wound up backfiring because the longer that these people had the nucks, it began to corrupt some of them to where they just became more or less monsters than are now like threats to humanity and so and I guess also they've just spread throughout history. We are you gonna say, Charles.
Speaker 4: Well, when you say monsters, are we talking like they're doing really bad things? Are you talking like they literally transform into like a monster.
Speaker 3: Or physical monsters or like, uh, not performative monsters, but like action based monsters, a bit of both.
Speaker 2: Like there's one point of demo where you do confront an original and granted this guy is actually like cool with you, like he's he's like nice and has worked with the Zaan Dares, but you also need to collect his power. So when you when you do that, it like manifests this like weird shadow creature that you have to fight God. So yeah, I guess it's it's kind of both. And so this kind of kicked off like a generation's long cycle of like, Okay, we need to take back the power that we've given these originals. We need to train someone specialized in doing that, because the problem is that the originals just look like people and they just blended into society over the century. So we need to figure out how to find them and then confront them and then basically kill them more less and get their power back. And the way to do that is that you need like their original name, because some of them been alive so long that they've just you know, just assumed different identities.
Speaker 1: They have changed names. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like a seal that they have that's tied to them Genie to find and then you just need to get like a visual like identity of them, like what does this person look like? So you are going around as this switch and like a like an open world, but it's not like a big open world because Panash is not a huge team. I think there's roughly about seventy people there. So, like Patrice described it as like Amsterdam itself, it is like a sandbox, but it's more dense than it is wide. For example, Like one of the cool things about the game is that he he and a team are making sure that every single building can be explored inside like the interiors. You can just walk into any building, and because of just the way Amsterdam's laid out, there's like multiple floors that you can explore, and that kind of like level design choice will play into a feature I'll discuss later. But Noah has a partner who is a cat. And the thing about this cat, who kind of becomes basically her familiar of sorts, is that it has the consciousness of a man from nineteen ninety nine who is named Aaron, and sort of like on New Year's Even nineteen ninety nine, he and his partner go to Amsterdam to celebrate the New Year's It turns out his partner is actually a modern day zam Daris, and he kind of like unwilling or unwittingly, engages on like a sex ritual with her that sends his consciousness back to sixteen sixty six inside of a cat on the night that Noah is initiated as a collector, and so as part of the initiation like, hey, you need to pick a cat, which is actually like a gameplay choice, like there's multiple different cats you can choose from, and each cat has like different gameplay sort of like differences that weren't unlocked in the bill that I played, but Patri said in the in the early access build, the cats will have like a difference between them. But you know, he gets transported there, he has no idea where he is. Noah knows this, like there's a point where he she encounters his like true self in this kind of voice, so she knows that he's from the future. So he's very like understandably freaking out and confused about what is happening and why he's in like three hundred years in the past. But it kind of forms is like kind of fun dynamic between the two because you know, Noah's very stoic and kind of steadfast, and he's just like he's just like a dude, Like when I like the future to be like, what is happening here? This is crazy? Magic is real. I've in sixteen sixty six here, You're a witch. This is wild. And then there's a third time period that, uh, did either of you guys play the free prologue that they put out on Steam. Okay, I asked, because this prologue is set in the third period, which is seemingly like the present day, like the twenty twenties where you play it as this woman named Cleo who visits this library because he got a letter from her dad basically tasking her with finding some information from a guy that she knows, like tied to like this magical book. But it turns out that her father is Arin, So future Aarin has left a message basically serving as the narration for what happens during his adventure as a cat in sixteen sixty six.
Speaker 1: You're rubbing your eyes, Charles.
Speaker 4: Is he in the future? Is he like back?
Speaker 1: It is anymore? Like, we don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we might assume he's not a cat anymore because he wrote this, But I don't know magic who knows, But they just because they treat him like he's either missing or dead in the future.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just gonna say, like, if he got his consciousness sent back to be a cat, I guess the part of the equation I'm missing is he could have written it before he was sent No, that wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 2: He definitely wrote as well after because he addressed it to his daughter. He's like, hey, this is something you need to know. Here's what happened to me this one time where I became a cat and got sent to the past. But I need you to find some things in the future because Cleo, just if you line up the information, it seems like she was conceived during the sex ritual that sends to the past.
Speaker 3: That's where my question was that that was the sticking point for.
Speaker 4: Crazy, that the line she was conceived during the sex swittual made me an, Eric.
Speaker 1: Go, these things happen, you know.
Speaker 4: This is also like very funny, like from from an original Assassine s creed guy, like he couldn't have the animis, so there's a really convoluted magical thing of It's like, well, it's the present, but it's also the past and it's also more in the present. And don't think about it. We don't have the animus, but we have cats and magic, and.
Speaker 2: It makes more sense than the animates because the animis was like a borderline magical machine, just like this is exactly this is just magic at least just straight up magic.
Speaker 4: A h here, there's less explaining that has to happen. If you just say it's magic, it's like, okay, that's fine. If you say it's technology, then you're like, how.
Speaker 1: Did you get all that tech? What does it do? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Like sequencing DNA makes me like basically relive someone's memories. Is that how it works? That?
Speaker 3: I mean, that is okay. I'm not going to get into semantics, but I'm like that at least like has quasi believability, whereas magic is just like I don't know man magic, and then everybody's just like cool.
Speaker 4: I think I don't have to try to understand the magic, whereas you would have to understand that.
Speaker 1: I mean not that you even have to understand.
Speaker 3: You accept that we have thrown the bounds of reality and we are completely entering made up time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like the animals, they try to have their best to explain it, which only makes you scrutinize it more.
Speaker 3: Again, we still just end up doing magic. By Assassin's career is they're just like, yeah, we just do magic now, and it's like yeah, fine, but so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like three different eras. But the main story is like the sixteen sixty sixth story so I played like an hour. Like the section I played for the preview was like immediately after the prologue ends, where you are Noah, like you're you're doing your witch witch rual. It gets jumped by a bunch of militia who are witch hunters, and you get to try out some of the combat, which is very if you've seen the trailers, kind of like very melee action coded, like, uh, she has a staff that you're swinging around. It's like basic combos, uh, three hits, like dropped some It looks nice. It felt really a bit weightless in kind of this early build, but it like looked cool. And then you also have a magic spells that you can use, Like the only spell that I had available during this demo was like I could target certain ops just like crates and whatever and just make them explode, which were just like instantly kill anyone that was nearby or at least heavily damage him. If it was like a stronger enemy type, you're finding like waves of enemies, which it was like a bit dated sort of like it reminded me a lot of the old Assassin's creeds where you would just kind of have like enemies circling you, and they would like one or two at a time would kind of take turns attacking. So I'm hoping that gets changed a bit to maybe feel a little bit more interesting and dynamic. But if anything else, it felt like kind of nostalgic in a weird way of like this is what games used to be, and like managing mobs used to be, Like.
Speaker 1: Is there a counter button?
Speaker 2: Uh, there's a dodge. There's not a counter, but you can do like a kind of like a perfect dodge thing at the last minute that kind of like warps her like behind her behind a which not which time, It doesn't show, it doesn't slow time. It's just sort of like she just very quickly like just whists behind them like she she she does like a very supernatural sort of like side step, like she's not like rolling or anything like that. Does that make sense? But we had a separate hands off demo with Patrice where he was showing us more of the game and some of the powers that he had in his build. Was like she could petrify enemies, like turn them a stone temporarily. She had one where she like summoned these weird like tendrils from the ground and it just lifted enemies in the area. Then you could just like wail on them while they were suspended. So there's other things you can play around with. And then when you get into the into like the city proper, it opens up this other part of the game that is like investigating the Originals. And so this is like maybe the most interesting part of the game to me because it's very open ended in terms of how you go about with your investigation. So, like I mentioned Foard, there's three things you need to find from the originals to point them out, and how you do that is a lot of like exploring buildings and talking to people in the street and just trying to find clues. So as Noah, you can switch between her witch and her like civilian form, which is important because citizens won't interact with you if you're a witch or they'll be scared of you. And there's like an awareness sort of like meter that builds up like kind of like if you want to be reductive. It's almost like a GTA star system, where like the more sort of like questionable things you do, the more kind of like of the wrong attention you start to attract. And then if you fill up the meter, the militia comes after you, and then you either have to fight your way out or go like retreat to like a safe house. But then he showed us a thing where like, oh, if you get in a fight with the militia to kill you, they'll take you to jail, and then you're like sitting in jail in almost like in a middle gear fashion. You have to break out of jail, so get Yeah, he said, He's like candidly, he's like we're still working on the jail part of the game, like because we're trying to figure out like, well, there'll be like a penalty.
Speaker 1: For like multiple incarcerations.
Speaker 2: Like if I just get arrested three times straight, should something happen or like yeah, yeah, like well I will that be like a hard game over at that point or like you know that that part of the game is still very much tentative. But you can also switch between Aaron. You can switch to him anytime because he's a cat, he's smaller. He can get into spaces that Noah can't, Like to get into this one building to find an original I had to use Aaron to do some like platform and that very much reminded me of stray and how like kind of like deliberate but graceful it is, and find like an open window, slink in, go to the front door, open it up, and then let Noah in and have her takeover. Aaron also has the ability to possess people, which is pretty cool. So there's like the in game Lores that apparently people that are afraid of cats are vulnerable to possession. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. It's like Charles will never be borne. He's a cat guy, so you'll never have this happen to you.
Speaker 4: But Aaron lives with a cat named after a ghost.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm like double protected. So you guys are basically witches. Actually not a thing about it, bulocks, but yeah, oh that's true, I guess. So. So yeah, so if you find a citizen that's afraid of you, there's like a whole mini game where you like hiss at them and then you jump on their face and literally scratch their face.
Speaker 1: Yees.
Speaker 2: And that's like an important part of the rich because even Noah apparently like she has a scratch in her face from a cat, and like, I guess, cat scratching you in the face is basically like the way you kind of like interapact with them or to have like a magical cat interact with you in some way, Like I think it's kind of how Aaron became her familiar in the first place. So there's a lot of like face scratching going on in this game. But yeah, there's one point where this is when Patrice was playing, he like possessed a woman because we needed to get into a building that was like it seems like there's like a party going on in there, but are like, Okay, Noah can't get in because she's not invited to this. So Aaron, you go in there, that's one of the people in there is like a housekeeper.
Speaker 1: Then let Noah in.
Speaker 2: And then because the housekeeper let Noah in, everyone's cool with things like oh, I guess she was invited, and like you can even take well, it's more just like she's not supposed to be here because this isn't her house or she's not invited to whatever this event is. But you know, like hey, if I.
Speaker 3: See yeah, it's like yeah, okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like if someone in the party lets someone else in, everyone else in the party is going to assume that they're supposed to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I get for a second, I thought you meant that, like the character couldn't enter the building unless they were invited in, And I was like, that's a vampire rule, not a which rule.
Speaker 2: I think that's just a rule. I think that's just how society works there. No but but so yeah, and there's in terms of the investigations, Patrice was saying that you can kind of in terms of like the information, you can gather them in any order. It just depends like you can be loud or you can be stealthy. In fact, he even said that you can play most of his game outside of like the original the confrontation with the Originals. You can play it pretty non violently. It's just like, okay, and then when you do find an original and you kind of have all the information you need, it triggers this boss fight, of which I only got to see one against the sort of like book Maker, who was actually like cool with Noah and sort of like willingly gives his power to hurt as like a debt to Noah's mother, but sort of like the entity that I guess makes up the core of the original is sort of like this almost like rabid beast, so like even though his like physical shell dies, now you have like just the raw power that is just kind of belevolent. And then I got into a boss fight with that that was pretty pretty basic, honestly, Like it was it felt very much like the first boss in a video game, just to get you used to the idea. Like it was just kind of like rampaging around. It kind of just looked like a weird shadow creature, so it was like a good exercise in dodging and knowing how to. They had crates and like junk set up around the arenas. It's like, oh, I can target those and blow those up when the monster gets near, that'll be that'll do some damage. It's like fine, Like it's it's not like the combat seems like like totally serviceable. But the stuff that I'm most interested in that I did not get to play myself is more of the investigation stuff, just because I like being able to take in the city. I think the city itself looks really nice so far, like just how they've kind of not only captured it from like a realistic standpoint, but they also have added sort of like a like something about the graphical filter they're using. They're they're trying to make it look like a old Dutch paintings. There's one painter and particulate that they cited.
Speaker 1: Rand. I mean they did cite rem Brandt, but this is off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did go to Rembrandt's house while I was in there, but I was not invite you in or Yeah, okay, he did not. I don't think he's invited anyone in a very long time.
Speaker 3: That's the secret. Yeah, I want to say Vermire.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Uh, Like apparently there's something about the way that the art direction that it's got a bit of a almost like a paintull equality that maybe you you really you don't see immediately in screenshot, but in motion you kind of get a sense of it. But apparently that was like a very big artistic influence for the presentation of this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like my my overall impressions, like the game's cool, and the setup and premise is wild in a way that I'm interested in. Uh, but you know, this is not unsurprising. It was rough, like you know, there was no way around, Like it was really rough in the state that it was in, but it was like a like I said, like an in development build of a game that is launching into early access. So I guess that's not crazy surprising. I just hope that at least when it launched an early access, that it's a bit cleaner and more stable than what I played. But I think Patrice said in the early access build it's supposed to have like the game's first few chapters what she kind of described as like a substantial like chunk of the game, and that overall he expects the game to be an early access for at least the year, assuming that things go well and based on whatever feedback they get. But he said that pretty much the only thing that they're going to be working on is like expanding the gameplay and like finalizing a dialogue. But apparently the story's written and it's like mapped out, like they know where they're going with this and whatnot, Like the rules of the world haven't been established in a lot of good stuff. One thing I will note real quick is that there was one section at the end where I did jump back to nineteen ninety nine where just through story Shenanigans, you play as Aaron after the ritual, but then Noah comes with you, but she's the cat now, so it's like again the roles were reversed. We're like, no, what's exploring nineteen ninety nine as a cat because there's some stuff you have to do in nineteen ninety nine with Aaron And yeah, Eric's face is Yeah. Time traveling via cat consciousness is like a big I was.
Speaker 3: So sure that I had like the timeline laid out of my head. I was like really, it was like you're watching Memento and you're like, yeah, I know how this movie works, and then you get to one part and you're like wait a minute, oh no, and you're just no, there's a new wrinkle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know how often this will happen or if it was just the one time thing this.
Speaker 1: They're swapping cats too.
Speaker 2: They're swapping cats. I guess it would be a different cat to be crazy. If this is the same like three hundred year old cat that she's in'thappening.
Speaker 1: I mean they're tied.
Speaker 5: It's already where that's where we draw. Yeah, magic exctly, that's what magic's for. You just explained away like I don't know, man, It's a magical cat, magical immortal cat, But there was one I didn't mention this in my preview just because it was I didn't have like it wasn't like a huge game play in theclation, but it was just kind of a weird moment where this is where they kind of like properly teach you how to possess people because you need to go. You need to make your way down to the hotel courtyard to find an object, and there's like certain areas you can't access because you're it's for employees only. Also, Aaron's like in his underwear the entire time because he had just had sex and he just did a change because the situation is dire. Times of the essence, he just has to go, which he remarks about. But like as soon as the segment starts, they start playing free Bird, okay, like like straight the Lice, like the license song their starts playing, and this entire segment where you have to make your way down multiple floors and kind of like stealth your way across like like curious onlookers the other hotel residents that are seeing like a man in his underwear just randomly walking around and then you're switching to Noah to get ahead and like a lot doors for airon to continue. Free Bird is playing the entire time that this.
Speaker 3: Is happening first half of Freebird or second half of Freebird.
Speaker 2: It's the start of the song. I think it does finish a song because I this was a long section, and obviously it's a long song, but I'm pretty sure I heard like almost the entire song by the time I wrapped it up.
Speaker 3: Because I was going to say, playing a stealth section, I would think that the second half of Freebird would not match the energy of that dynamic. You know, I can't imagine trying to like sneak through an area in the backgrounds, Like It's like that would not tonally contrast maybe the first part. That's still a weird choice.
Speaker 2: I would argue, no, it based on the just to get the premise. It's just like what what like I did a double take, was like is that what I think it is? The opening notes of We.
Speaker 1: Couldn't get Layla.
Speaker 3: We couldn't get like like the second half of Layla or anything like that. We had to go with first half of free Bird.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's the like most occult band that would fit like a witchcraft game I mean, yeah, like a Stevie Nick's Stevie Nick song on there. Yeah, yeah, I don't know, get ghost to do a song. I get a ghost song in there, but yeah, but yeah, that's sixteen sixty after sam it seems cool. Coustously optimistic. I hope it gets cleaned up soon. But I like the premise. I like the world. I think it's I think there's something there, but it'll be curious to see how it just comes together over time in early access all right?
Speaker 4: That was that was Yeah, it was to see some footage of this game, because at the time of recording we haven't and it just sounds so so wild.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, do you guys think you were jumping into the early access bill checking out.
Speaker 4: Or honestly, like, do you want to I'm interested in the game and concept your description of it, I'm not sure you liked it all that much. Like you you said you're cautiously optimistic. It just sounds like a lot of the stuff was very basic. The interest is more in the world and the framing of the game than like the game itself. But the time travel Shenanigans is like, I mean, I just got to figure out what the heck is going on there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're I think you're mostly right, Charles, Like, it's like did I in terms of like being on the sticks playing the game. I wish I liked it more, but a lot of it had to do it polish more than anything, sure cause, like the combat looks cool, it just didn't feel great yet hopefully it gets there. And the investigation stuff I didn't get to do at all, but watching Patrice play it, it's like, that's cool. I would like to mess around with that to see how deep thatst system goes. Oh god, I forgot to mention one last thing about the investigations. It's got like a roguelike thing to it, which is something that they had not talked about until this point. Like when you take a contract to go after an original, you get like a choice of one of three randomized powers that you can pick or like stat buffs, and then I guess throughout the mission you can find more abilities. But basically every mission you'll have like a different suite of abilities that is like like kind of like roguelike in nature, and I believe when you die you lose some of them. But yeah, that was another thing that I did not get to play, but Patrice was showing off and I was like, oh, interesting, it seems like the roguelike stuff, Like this isn't a run based game over all on what people to think that the entire game is a roguelike. It just seems to be these contracts to go after the originals.
Speaker 3: I I want to say this gently while holding of whoever is listening, that this feels like a Supreme Pizza of gameplay ideas where we just kind of put whatever on there. Sounded good, and that makes me really curious about what the final game is gonna look like because there's just everyone you're like, oh, I think, I yeah, that sounds like a game I've I've played or would play. And then you're like, oh, and it does this, and I'm like, what, It's like a.
Speaker 2: Supreme pizza, but like like a smaller medium at like in terms of like maximum size.
Speaker 3: This is like those party supreme pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like this isn't like a Crimson Desert situation where it's like, here's like an absurdly large pizza that has every possible topping. It's like kitchen, It's like a reasonable size pizza, but it's like dense with toppings.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, more topping than cheese.
Speaker 1: Sure, that might work.
Speaker 2: I like cheese, but you know a flavorful bite. Yeah, it's like, oh, cheese and pepperoni cup. Oh but you added this like less common ingredient with like the like, oh, I didn't expect.
Speaker 1: That banana pepper in there. I was gonna say, but.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say hotney of like hot. You're like, oh, hot honey. Interesting that I could be good.
Speaker 4: Hot honeys of more reliable edition. Hot honey is the roguelikeney.
Speaker 3: Specially, hot honey is the Pick three rogue light thing because it's like, yeah, it's tasty, but like everybody's doing it now, so it's kind of losing it's allure a little bit. You know, it used to be like hot honey, and now you're like hot honey again, Like yeah, take it back to red pepper chili flakes. You know what I'm saying, Mmm, hot honey is better.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmmmm.
Speaker 3: Okay, well well that's a different podcast.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's sixteen six six afternoon. You can go to vamformer dot com right now. You can read my written thoughts over there. But yes, we're gonna take a quick ad break, but when we come back, we're gonna talk about some marvel tokon fighting souls and fields of mystery will be right back.
Speaker 1: Look, we've all been there.
Speaker 3: You've got the angle, but you still lose the trade and competitive gaming milliseconds aren't just a stat they're the difference between a trophy and a GG next. That's why Logitech g just changed the game with the new pro X two Super Strike. This features revolutionary HITS technology, the haptic inductive trigger system. By swapping traditional switches for magnetic sensors, it gives you a massive thirty millisecond advantage. Under the hood, you're getting a Hero two censor pushing forty four thousand dpi in an eight K polling rate, all in an ultra lightweight sixty one gram chassis. Now you might be asking, how do we know it's good. Well, Alex van Aken took the mouse and this is an empty box because he actually uses this mouse all the time when we play deadlog and stuff like that. You can really feel the difference. So if you're serious about climbing the ranks, this is the weapon of choice. Stop playing fair, start playing faster. Go to logitechg dot com and use the God Game Informer at checkout to save twenty five off Logitech G products exclusion apply non stackable grab the super Strike today. The winning click is finally here.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, welcome back to the Game and Former show and Eric, you have become an Avenger or an.
Speaker 3: X Man, not quite all. X x Man is more of my speed.
Speaker 2: I would say, which team, whatever team you've joined in Marvel Token and Fighting Souls.
Speaker 4: Can actually Marcus you and I let's do a game we try to guess Eric's like character that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so I do have a four I have a locked in for Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, So well real quick, if you don't know what this is, this is the four on four tag team fighting game by Arc system Works. So you might know as the team behind Guilty Gear, Blaze Blue, dragon Ball Fighters.
Speaker 1: That is important, which, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Great fighting game series, but I especially am a fan of dragon Ball Fighters for the DNA of this game, especially like Dragon Ball Fighters for sure. Yeah, you have a team of Marvel characters all duking it out, and so since you have a team of four, we're gonna guess the team that, uh, Eric's going with I'm gonna say, there's definitely an X man in there, like an X main character. I'm gonna guess because who's it. Who's in the case, Wolverine, Storm.
Speaker 1: Can I manage? Run down the roster?
Speaker 3: Run down the roster because it is it's not a large loss roster, but it is like a decently roster.
Speaker 4: So we've got Miss Marvel, spider Man, Penny Parker, star Lord, Black Panther, Just Shurry, Hulk, Captain America, iron Man, Carnage, Green Goblin, Doctor Doom, Magneto, Blade, ghost Rider, Deadpool, low Key, Danger, Storm, Magic, Wolverine.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna say, I'm gonna go Danger. I'm gonna say, you got a little weird dangers on my team. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wait, Eric, don't don't confirm it yet.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Okay, I want.
Speaker 1: To and I want to guess. Okay, so I want to compare it.
Speaker 2: I'm musa say Danger. I'm gonna say, because I know you're a big Marvel's capcom fan, I'm going I want to say either Doctor Drum or Magneto. I'm gonna say Magneto because he's he's pretty, he's you know, he's a mainstay in NBC say Danger, Magneto, I'm gonna spider manns He's classic and then m I'm trying to think of it like someone like super left Field. Like I feel like you're going to pick someone maybe that hasn't been in any like NBC, just to maybe try them. So like that would be like Miss Marvel or ghost Writer? Who else has it never been? Magic's never been in m VC. I'm would say, you know, I'm gonna say, Miss Marvel, why not? So what is that? Danger, Miss Marvel, Spider Man, and and Magneto was my team.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm reading this down Danger, Miss Marvel, Magneto, and who was the last one was a spider Man, Spidery.
Speaker 1: My guest is.
Speaker 4: Danger, Doom, Magic.
Speaker 1: Ghost Rider.
Speaker 3: Charles was the closest by getting two of them right, and granted one of those I gave to you, Doom. Doom is on the team. Uh, Doom was.
Speaker 4: Most confident about. For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't have guessed Danger.
Speaker 3: So we're watching because because I was streaming or or I was on Jesse's Uh Jesse Vittelli friend of the show who was on last week was was laid off between us recording the episode and publishing the episode from his gig, but in response did a sabbath on over the weekend up through this week in which he managed to a career through a thousand subscribers over the course of like five days of streaming, which actually put him in the top one thousand for active subs in Twitch, which is just wild shout outs to Jesse.
Speaker 1: We love Jesse.
Speaker 3: We're gonna try and probably get him on the show a little bit more often because he's just a good time, good person to have around. But also he did some really really fun stuff on there. So I was over there for a little bit streaming with him playing some token but.
Speaker 1: My team.
Speaker 3: On Point Blade, which I did not see coming. But Blade is a little bit like almost Vergil from MVC three style. I really he's just got some good neutrals. I really like his options. I think when I look for a point character in a game like this, I kind of want somebody who's going to be able to play the neutral game very well. And I think with him, I found like a really a character whose neutral game I vibe with. He's got a lot of good sized swings throw out, he's got some ranged attacks, He's got this really cool ability where he throws a steak and can follow up and like zip to the opponent attack with it, which leads to some cool trap moments and stuff like that where you can kind of follow up on attacks that people think you can't follow up on and things like that. So I really really like Blade for that. I also my next on the lineup is danger because it does matter what order you put them in, and this is maybe one of the weirder stranger things about Marvel to Con is that, so you think of Marvel versus Capcom or Dragon Ball Fighters, and you have a team of three, each with their own life bar. You can call in assists or you can tag out to them. You also have the ability to do follow up supers and things like that, so if you do a level one super, you can then follow it up with another character's level one super and that'll also tag you out, so they come in and be the point character. So you always have a point character who's out and fighting on the screen al a street fighter, and then two people kind of in the background who can help the varying degrees on timers. Marvel TOKN does all that, but they give you four people on a team, a singular life bar for the entire team, and you start the match with only two of your characters, your point character and your first assist available, And there's also some weird, funky mechanics. I'm still kind of getting my head around where depending on how your characters are arranged in the roster, they will have different assists that they throw out when they come out and help you, And this changes depending on who you have swapped to as your point character as well. So I've been doing a lot of changing around of my team to figure out how I want that to sort of line up and play out and who should be where.
Speaker 1: So I was seeing is.
Speaker 2: The type of the differences between the assists? Is it similar to like how you can choose different types of assists than Marvel's capcom like this exists more defensive, this is when it's more offensive.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, I think the best example I can give is Danger, who is currently my second slot character. Her second slot assist is she bounces out. For those who don't know, Danger is basically just like what if the Danger Room was an anime robot girl like to be from near and that's that's Danger. Uh, so Danger jumps out the dango. Finally, I've always said this the most dangerous game. Uh, Danger like hops out and like shoots a laser blast, and that's just that's a classic you know, tag fighter assist. She's going to put some long range pressure out. I do like Doom's laser a little bit more so. I did have him in that second slot for a while, but I've I've been going back and forth on that, but that's ranged.
Speaker 1: One is the first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually some sort of range thing, which I like having in that first lot. Also, Spider Man do his web ball. He just like like I think he shoots out three or whatever. I'ven't played against a lot of Spider Man players, so I don't know Spider Man as well, but he just kind of.
Speaker 2: Like these people not seeing brand New Day.
Speaker 1: I assume he'd be the number one guy.
Speaker 3: He's he's actually I know, he's supposed to be pretty strong in terms of just his ability to do some some catch and and some catchup and we'll get to that in a moment, but he so so Danger is my second Doom is my third doom Is is like Zone God. He he wants to put out all kinds of projectiles and different things on the screen. They're just difficult for you to deal with, and he's going to pressure you like crazy. So he has a laser that is, for my money, the best projectile in the game. He has a laser he can call down from above that kind of is on a delay and then just drops a laser from wherever the character is standing. When it finally the delay is up. Uh, and he's just got a lot of great pressure. I love his uh, he puts out. If you've played Street Fighter, he's got the urin shield, the slow advancing like mirror shield that you get used to combo people with. He's got that, and it can also do the You can put it so it forms in front of him and moves forward, or you can make it so it forms behind them and dvances toward you, which I love doing because that's real. That's it's so good. If you can't sell I, I want to induce anxiety in my opponents. I want my characters to just be unrelenting pressure to where they don't know what to do because so much is happening on the screen and they think my combo is over, but I've actually just hidden the fact that I called an assistant, backed up, let them swing, and then went in for the upper cut.
Speaker 1: Like I love pressure. It's so good.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to see doom zone people and Avengers zoomsday.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, the Doones go crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the Avengers charging him. He just shoots a laser to keep them back. They're just really annoyed.
Speaker 1: Like he just uses this same mirror shield over and over and over.
Speaker 3: That's how we stop Thor in the trailer, my fourth character, who I bounced around a lot of characters in the slot because I think those first three crystallized pretty fast for me. This one's a bit of a surprise and might be a bit strange considering the makeup of the rest of my team, but I kind of like this character as sort of a curveball I throw in there right at the end. Is Black Panther is Shuri. Oh nice, Okay. She is a rush down, super high combo potential. Character has the ability to cancel out of a lot of moves and do some really nasty mix up stuff in close range, which I think if I've spent kind of the first two rounds of a game playing a zone game with you and playing pressure and stuff like that. When Shury comes in and suddenly all I'm like up in your face and throwing a bunch of stuff like right in front of you, it really throws people on their back foot. They think they know what game I'm going to play, and then they're like, oh, wait, what is this?
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 3: Also, her assists are really really good. I really like them. They're they're the kind of assists that I like in a Marvel game. There's one where she hops out and kind of throws two spears under her and then throws two spears out like the side of her. That just does great coverage on the ground for when you're trying to like advance forward or knock out somebody else's assist. And this is the thing that tag games just require so much mental ram Yes, they really really do, because you have to consider.
Speaker 2: Because you have so many people now like, how's that kind of how does that adjusted your play style? Because you're so that's three.
Speaker 4: Sixteen matchups in any given fight.
Speaker 3: And the nice the nice part is making it so it's a singular health bar, so you only have to chew through one health bar per round, even though like matches still go long We've been playing first to three mostly in our sets online, and it still feels like those sets go on pretty long because it's also internally first to three. So we would play, say you go like three wins to two, that's that's like the first round, and then you go to like five of that, You've played a lot of games in that time, You've played a lot of rounds. There's just a lot of game to happen there. So I do think this will be in the FGC side, in the competitive side, it will be a game where you're probably going to see fewer sets until you get to like finals and stuff like that. But it does just make it a mentally taxing game. It makes it a you have to think about all these different characters, what they can do, what those assists look like. And granted, the thing about tag games is you learn a lot to then unlearn a lot of it because you start thinking, you said earlier, okay, well that's a projectaly assist. You learn Okay, well, if I see like Doom Danger Blade stuff like that, I know kind of how their assists are going to work and what they're capable of doing at any given time. You can play with those expectations a bit on your end. Blade especially has some some fun changeups if you change what slot he's in, same with Danger, but for the most part, you're like, if I see them in that second slot, I know it's a projectile that they're going to throw out at me. And most assists do kind of fit in to some broad categories of your providing cover for yourself. You're extending a combo, maybe you have something that's in anti air or is meant to kind of knock things off the screen. So if somebody's jumping at you, or somebody's calling an assist to advance on you, you can call this assist out to kind of provide that cover and knock them back a little bit. It's just figuring out kind of where all those things fall into those buckets, so you can then reduce the mental ramload back down to the like what are my options right now and how do I execute? And that's the hardest part. It's the hardest part of every fighting game, is your knowledge funnel goes out really far and then has to funnel back in, and most people drop out at the widest part of the funnel right where it's like I am so overwhelmed by the amount of information that exists when really it's about it's like driving a car. You know, you have to start to move things to the back of your mind and be like, this is muscle memory. This is I'm just instinctively checking my mirrors and my rear view and stuff like that. I don't have to tell myself remember to do this, remember.
Speaker 1: To do that, do this, so you just do it naturally.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like this game is because there's so many characters on screen and it's you know, tag fighters are inherently just chaotic. Do you find it difficult or maybe early on, to like visually parse what was happening, Like it just seems like so much is happening at all times, Like do you ever get lost in the chaos of like which character am I? Or where even am I? Right now? Am I being illy juggled because like four people are coming at me.
Speaker 3: I think the one of the funniest things that happens in this game is when both players panic call all of their assists at the same time and there's just an audible like We'll be on discord and I'll just laugh and we'll both be like I have no idea what just happened. I have no idea who I'm playing as right now, and there's there's definitely a little bit of that. But for all the ways in which I do think this game can be very overwhelming, it's also surprisingly new player friendly, I think, because again, a singular health bar means you're not thinking about Kay, I need to rotate this character out because they've taken a lot of great day image and I want to recover that, so I need to move around and stuff like that. You don't have to worry about some of the higher level Marvel versus Capcom three stuff of X factors and things like that. You can kind of just play the game that's in front of you. And there's a lot of mechanical things that Arxis is implemented, like auto combos and even some of the defensive and offensive mechanics. You have a I forgot what their proper names are, but it's like an Avengers Assemble attack, which is this kind of like Armored jump forward, which is if you've played Persona for Arena, there was a similar move in it where you just kind of like do a hot forward and if you connect with it, it just starts a like tag attack where your character jumps in and then another character jumps in, and you can kind of just do a one two punch, and that's just kind of an offensive move forward that isn't always the most effective thing to do.
Speaker 1: But can be effective.
Speaker 3: What's very effective is the Avengers counter, which is the opposite direction of that input, where you kind of do a backstep and they'll have kind of a an orange shade over them, and if your opponent swings into that, it's effectively a pairry and you get like kind of a follow up attack on it and then reset neutral. And that one I've found a little bit harder to gauge because it kind of feels very very forgiving. The trade off is that there's there is no way to break a combo once you're in it. Once you are in the combo in this game, there is not like, you know, a burst or anything like that that is your your get out of jail free card. Once you are getting juggled, you better hope somebody drops a combo or leaves a window wide enough for you to do the air recovery and land and start blocking again, because otherwise you are in the combo is that frustrating.
Speaker 2: I feel like a little bit I have no defense for that whatsoever.
Speaker 1: That's been one of the more.
Speaker 3: Like high level criticisms I've seen of this game. I mean, there are other critics that Arcist has been addressing, mainly the performance on PC, which I've been playing on, and I can attest it was really rough early on, and they have taken measures to fix it, but it is still a work in progress, although much better than it was before. But I think from a I wouldn't call myself a high level player. I wouldn't call myself a low level player. I'm just kind of somewhere in the middle. It is a little yeah, yeah, yeah. Somebody who plays fighting games has you know, gone one in two and a few tournaments and can kind of somewhat converse in this language. Is that I do think it's a little frustrating that I don't have a get out of jail free card because I've been used to having that in other games. But at the same time, it does mean I'm having to rethink my approach and that I have to play knowing that I don't have like a gimme to get out of some pressure. If I you know if I need it, and that does change the way I play. I do think it forces a more thoughtful approach compared to how fast this game can feel sometimes where high level play. I mentioned chasing and stuff like that earlier. There's so many movement options. There's so much movement tech already in this game for characters to just zip around the screen and put out projectiles and really just I mean it is a tag tag. Fighters love abundance. They love over the top exaggerated action. I did a story years ago about Marvel versus Capcom two and how that kind of changed the fighting game landscape because of you just had these matches where it was just everything on screen all at once.
Speaker 2: It's spectacle. It's fun to watch even when you're not playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it is I think to con does check that box of it is a spectacle fighter. It is entertaining to watch. You can do some things where I had one combo in the corner where I I apologize to my opponent. It made combo because I was just hitting everything and I was discovering new lines as I was doing it, and I just found some nasty ways to keep the pressure up and just keep them stuck on the wall and all that, and I was like, I am so sorry, but I am just absolutely styling on you right now and it feels awesome and that sometimes look, sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail, and that is the way of this game and this type of fighter. But I think given all that, it is one of the more approachable versions of this that we've seen since at least Dragon Ball Fighters, which and people really like it for that.
Speaker 2: You've been playing it too, and I kind of want to pass it to you as how do you feel about the approachability because you're not like a big fighting game guy. I think you've said before, like you'll play that.
Speaker 1: I love to watch a fighting game.
Speaker 4: I just have never been able to get into one enough that I ever felt like I really knew what I was doing, and I feel like I didn't have.
Speaker 1: What I needed was like a college.
Speaker 4: Dorm with four people where we all were really into a game for like a year, right, Like I I'm up to that with like Smash Bros. Like I can play Smash Bros With people, but like other like more traditional fighting gips, I've ever been into this one.
Speaker 1: I just was enjoying.
Speaker 4: Uh, there's there's a lot of like auto combo strings where you can kind of feel like you know what you're doing on like some basic levels without having to like memorize and.
Speaker 1: Execute in the same way.
Speaker 4: I think there's still advantages for if you do like the classic inputs. I think it does a little bit more damage or just like better at times usually, But as someone who doesn't really know what I'm doing, it's nice to be able to just jump in and kind of like fill around. And also, I was just playing through the story a little bit, which has alway it's honestly, I'm not that far in. I just started playing the there's like different teams of the characters. They split the cast of twenty into five teams of four, so it's playing as the fighting Avengers, which is Captain America, Black Panther, Hulk, and Iron Man. And there's these like bigger anime style cut scenes, and then there's these comic book cut scenes where it's like just slightly animated comic book frames and then just kind of telling the story. And the whole plot is that the Champion has come to Earth and he will only fight the best, and so he's got a big tournament.
Speaker 1: Going on, and you guys almost champion each other.
Speaker 2: Character.
Speaker 1: He's a new original character, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, like the Beyonder or something like they were doing like.
Speaker 1: A Super Wars thing. It is.
Speaker 3: I have seen nobody run this character. By the way, I have seen nobody this character. Yeah, I think I think it's a story mode un lock or something. I have heard tell of one of my friends matching up against somebody running Champion online and otherwise, like I've heard of nobody blaying. It's this character I don't even seen.
Speaker 4: Because it's like you'll you'll see him in like the key art, like he's in the background. It is one of those things where it's like the game is built around being these recognizable characters everyone spent decades of their life loving and becoming attached to, and then they're also like and there's the big bad guy.
Speaker 2: It's like that fighting game, what was it, Marvel Nemesis. Do you guys remember that game where it was like half the roster was half Marvel characters and then the other half of a roster were these original characters called like the Imperfects, And it was just like I'm playing that and being like, why would I ever pick any of these?
Speaker 3: I just want to be my dudes, I will say to Marvel. To CON's credit, I think this is a really good selection of my characters.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of the most inspired. So, like, there's characters in here I've been wanting in an NVC game for a long time, like Carnage, Green Goblin.
Speaker 1: Blade Goblin's so fun.
Speaker 2: I love his design too, he just looks cool.
Speaker 1: Is Loki new to this sort of realm too? Am I correct? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's never been in a Magic game. Magic's also a great pick. I mean Magic almost feels like like there's some cool nods in this game. Obviously, Deadpool is nothing but references to other fighting games, both internally at Arc system Works and also uh broader games. He has the Yoshimitsu self stab and stuff like that. Uh, there's just like, yeah, he he is literally just fighting game memes the character, which I normally am like Deadpool, like, come on, have we not already run this into the ground with this character? Like yeah, but but they found a way to make him really fun and interesting and speak to the game that he's in, and Magic and Blade and ghost Rider being in there is like, yeah, we also agree that Midnight Suns was a really cool game that more people should play, and we're gonna shout that out. I really really love the lineup with this game.
Speaker 4: When I went to I was talking to the guys that did Cosmic Invasion, Marvel Cosmic Invasion. They were talking about the like roster that they chose for that game, and just like the process of picking them and just how Marvel is like when they're like guiding people to choose, like the rosters that they're doing, they're very much They're not like you can't have these characters, but they're like go ahead, take like take Spider Man if you want to take Iron Man, but we just want that you also make room for like those kind of weird polls, like they want to make sure that it feels different enough, and like people are gonna be introduced to Danger for example, because they come because they're like cool.
Speaker 1: I like the Hulk. I want to play a game with the Hulk, and then they get interested.
Speaker 2: Like don't just pick the guys like you have a rich, a rich roster of characters, like you can literally you can dig deeper if you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even the first DLC character they've announced is Phoenix Cyclops.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's such a cool pivot because like Cyclops. I'm like, yeah, it's it's it's a Marvel Tag fighter. Cyclops should be in that game. There's there's no reason not to. But then they said, okay, but what if Phoenix Cyclops And I'm okay, all right.
Speaker 2: From one specific story arc or that, like my Avengers versus X Men, it's like the only time that's really been a thing that I can remember. I remember saying now, I was like, that's such a specific pool that I really really love.
Speaker 4: The thing I want to say also about the story mode is that Thor is not on this lineup, but he is like in this world they like the the Avenger story starts with Captain America is going to like a big opening of like the Avengers Park and there's a statue in the park of Ironman, Captain America, and Thoor and everyone's like, yep, those are the Avengers, those are the three Avengers, and Captain America's like, poor Hulk. Yeah, well, Captain America is like, the plot is they have to go get Hulk, but they he's so scary. They lied and they were like, oh, No, he wasn't a part of this. He was just kind of around, but he's not going to be your permanent protector, so they kind of like shunned him off to the Savage Lands.
Speaker 1: But they keep.
Speaker 4: Referencing the fact that like four has left, like he's gone missing, and I assume he'll be a DLC character, but he also might.
Speaker 1: Just not be a DLC character.
Speaker 4: But I think the main thing I like is that they're not just because someone's not on the roster doesn't mean they're not reference.
Speaker 1: They're not like.
Speaker 4: Still key parts of the universe because also.
Speaker 1: Loki's here, so.
Speaker 2: The stages have a lot of references. Remember looking at trailers and seeing like, okay, there's like five different references to like different other characters that may or may not be in the game.
Speaker 1: There ain't seen.
Speaker 2: You go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was saying, I ain't never seen a thing that has Dazzler in it. But she's not in every video game I've ever seen, and she is a billboyd in this game.
Speaker 2: You gotta play x many arcade game. That's like the only game you could play is Dazzler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, there's a there's an Xavier academy level that just has tons of X men in the background and the stage, and every time we play on it, I'm just like, please, come on, put put some of them in the game. Come on, like just I would love to see, like Sielock could get such a cool treatment here, Iceman could get such a cool treatment here. But I also want them to just keep up this energy of like, you know, doing the cool thing, but maybe swerving in a way that we don't normally expect. I think a lot of people would have expected Venom, for example, Instead we got Carnage, which is really cool option yeah, because Carnage is gnarly in this game. I mean, he just looks cool. He's got such a cool style style to him.
Speaker 4: He got he got really pronounced hip bones.
Speaker 3: He's like the he's like the what are the liquors from? From Resident Evil?
Speaker 2: Like he's kind of like he kind of built like one of those, yeah, like liquor. I mean that Cletus Can said he known for two things, one being a horrible serial killer too gatam hips.
Speaker 4: God damn he got damn liquor hips.
Speaker 3: I don't know I had to say that in that voice.
Speaker 1: But and at this time, he's gonna.
Speaker 4: Bleep me out and people could be like, what what could he have possibly said.
Speaker 1: That I did.
Speaker 3: I had to believe I had to bleep Wes On the last episod he said something we could Yeah. I was like, we cannot air that.
Speaker 2: It's really good, it's only we will never tell. Yeah. But yeah, marvelto Gone Fighting Souls. It is out now. I'm so excited. Like I've been out of town on a work trip, and honestly, one of the hardest things about being away was getting code and not being able to download it. Like I was like, I have to wait for days. It's installed now I'm gonna try to fire it up tonight. But I've been so excited for this game. It's it's a good time.
Speaker 3: It's really fun and honestly, like I again, I think it's very approachable, which is the right thing for them to do, was to make this game that has kind of a low floor but a high ceiling, and it feels like they have they have nailed that.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The last game that we'll talk about today is a Fields of Mystery, which has gone one point.
Speaker 1: Oh uh.
Speaker 2: It is a cozy sort of like a farm sim life sim uh that we've uh. I think we've all had kind of had our eye on. I actually have not played it in early access. I've kind of took I took the approach of like, I'll wait for this to go one point. Oh, but it looks it looks really cool. Charles, you've checked it out. How is it shaped up now that it is out in full.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I had not played this game, even though I was excited for it. I will start by disclosing that the Prfist game is handled by Sarah Putzorski, who's one of the mid mexicalhorts. And I'm over at Mimax sometimes and I know sarah've played D and D with hers. She's cool size it's a potential conflict of interest.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Sarah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to address that top.
Speaker 4: I like this game though it's it's not not an unpopular opinion. It's sold a million copies in the first like six hours, like being out. Yeah, it's doing doing quite well.
Speaker 1: And it is basically Stardoo Valley.
Speaker 4: It feels very much and I assume what it is is a bunch of indie developers saying we liked Stardoo Valley, but there's some things about it we would do a little bit different. So we're gonna do our own take on it. And it's not an exact one to one, but it's close enough that if you've played Starduo Valley, it's it's all gonna feel very, very familiar to you in terms of like just the structure, the days, the way everything is worked. Even a lot of the like animations and sprites are vaguely similar. Hey, Charles, you want to know my deep secret.
Speaker 1: Have you not played Starduo Valley.
Speaker 2: I've never played Starting Velle. Oh wow, it's one of my biggest gaps in terms of, like, I guess the last decade of gaming. I've put it off so many times, mainly because it kept switching to more appealing platforms or like, oh it's only on PC, and like, I mean that's okay, I bet I'll play because everyone says it's amazing. Then it came to PlayStation, I was like, okay, that'll be the one play. Then it came to Switch, I.
Speaker 1: Was like that's perfect handheld.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, And it's been on my switch wishless for years and I still have never gotten to it.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 2: So this will be like my first exposure I guess to that a Stardo esque game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that genuinely had not occurred to me was someone who was interested in Fields of Mysteri but had.
Speaker 1: Not played Stardoo Valley, which I've played. Fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you played like a Harvest Moon before. If you played like a something where you kind of manage a farm.
Speaker 1: You reviewed Harvest Stella.
Speaker 2: That's.
Speaker 3: I just do that and then coming back and you're like, that's like an RPG with light farming elements, where like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley are farming games with light RPG elements. Yeah, like Iron Factory is somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never played Harvest Moon or those like. I got into like life semi stuff and like my he's like in a like And even then, I don't go out of my way to play every single one of these ones because there's just so many of them, and they tend to all require a huge time investment, where like I don't I don't want to play, Like, I don't even want to play. Multiple of these are the same times. They all kind of hit the same They scratched the same niche. At least for me, it's like, give me one good one to sink my teeth into. So I play, like I don't know if animal crossing counts, but like it's in the vein right.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 4: Like there's a way that you get sucked into a game like Fields of Mystra or Starry Valley that doesn't happen with animal crossing because the real time clock, right.
Speaker 3: So so the they wants you to log off, yeah, yeah, they turn off your system.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the base premise of this game is it is a takes place in a sort of kingdom.
Speaker 1: Where like magic is presence.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of a it's a light fantasy world. And uh, there's a town and it's not doing great, but they think maybe we can get an adventure in to come fix up the farm that's on the south of the town and then kind of help out around town. They're basically giving you the farm in exchange for you becoming like the town's main helper guy. So you come in, you have your house, and then you have like this land that's all your farmland, and you can chop down the trees, break up the rocks, plants some plants, plant them, grow them, sell them, et cetera, et cetera. And then there's also lots of villagers to talk to you can romance them, and then all sorts of systems.
Speaker 1: From these sorts of similar games.
Speaker 4: So something that's not in Sardi Valley is there's a museum. So every crop you grow, every bug and fish you catch, that sort of thing, you can bring it.
Speaker 1: Over the museum, get it logged.
Speaker 4: You're trying to get money. But there's also renown, which that was a fire embloom word and I was like, oh, it'll come back. Is that like upgrade your town which lets you unlock more stuff. So last I played, I just unlocked the minds, but I haven't gone there yet. I'm also five or six hours, not even I'm probably probably five hours in, and I'm on like week one of the game, and it's just the sort of game where five hours is like a good amount, but one week of.
Speaker 1: Game is like nothing.
Speaker 3: Basically, early game in these games is usually a lot of walking around, meeting people, talking to people. It's usually a little bit slower at the start because you are just getting acquainted with everything right, and then by the time you're in week four or whatever, you're just in the mindset of like I need to do this, I need to wake up and do this and do this. Does it have like stamina meters and things like that, kind of like your your traditional trappings of what forms a day in a game like this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there is like a clock, so you day can run out just like time wise, but there's also stamina meter. So there's only so much like labor you can do in a day, Like you can only chop down so many trees and break so many rocks. You can cook, so like if you cook food, you can get stuff that can replenish your stamina. There's like a whole wide like cooking menu.
Speaker 2: Name me a dish that you're made. I'm curious about.
Speaker 4: That sliced turnips. I got that recipe because I grew turnips. Their recipe is one turnip.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Do you even cook this or do you just slice it into meath?
Speaker 4: You gotta take it to a cooking station, which in this case, I guess it means just the cutting.
Speaker 3: Board just kind of blanchet or like put some salt on there, like.
Speaker 4: It might not be cooking. I got a recipe for baked potato. Also, you got these recipes also over time, so it's not like you can just It's not like Minecraft, where it's like if you know how the pieces work, you can do that. These are like once you sell your first potato, they're like, by the way, you can bake these and.
Speaker 3: You're like, I never even thought of that.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Also to say, I do really like it, and I do really like the ways that you can tell they played Starduo Valley and they were like, I wish it was this way. So like in Stardoo Valley, famously, if you want to buy stuff, you gotta go to the shop, and the shop is closed on Wednesdays, and it also only opens at a certain time and it closes at a certain time. And in this game, I'm ninety five percent sure as long as you go up to like the menu ordering board at a shop, you can just like leave the money there and take something.
Speaker 1: They're just like, yeah, you're good for it.
Speaker 4: Like the town just operates on a level of trust where you don't have to like wait for the clock to do that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I aspire to live in a city where that such an honor system the.
Speaker 1: Dream right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and I'm I'm still very early on. But I like the characters a lot. I like the art a lot.
Speaker 1: I really like the music.
Speaker 4: The sound palette kind of reminds me of the song that keeps playing remunds me of Twin Leaf Town from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl that has like a similar flute.
Speaker 1: Synth sound in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't have I don't have all that much to say except that it's it's about what I expected, which is to say, Starduo Valley with some new added stuff. It kind of feels like a sequel in a lot of ways, where you're they're taking a lot of stuff, they're not even being that crazy about adding things. The other thing I really like that I'll mention to clothes with is there's so much customizability that's just kind of freely available. So once you unlock a clothing item, it's just always in the menu. You can just swap out what your appearance looks like at any moment. You can change your name, your pronouns, your skin color, your outfit. You can pre save appearances if you want to do that. I just got a pet and I didn't have to unlock the pet. It was just like a familiar A familiar pet came to Well, it's a cat now, but I can just go on the menu and swap it over to a dog if I feel like I want it to be a dog.
Speaker 1: So it's it's just like a thing of.
Speaker 2: Does it happen the consciousness of a man from nineteen ninety nine?
Speaker 1: Yes, you got to make him what's his name? Aaron?
Speaker 3: Aaron, Aaron the cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then the other big thing that's in this game that I haven't gotten to yet, and I'm not getting the vibe. I'm gonna get to it soon. But there is like magic in this game, so you can cast spells that will help you crops go faster, and you'll you'll do different things.
Speaker 3: But it does have a vaguely magic vibe to it. I don't know if that is some of the more pixel yards or just kind of the bright you know, there's a lot of characters that are very brightly colored and stuff, and I looked at that, I was like, it seems very fantasy. So I do love the art just being a total like late eighties early nineties anime throwback, like some very RNMA inspired early Sailor Moon even like hard cap or soccer type stuff. I feel like, between this and Orbitals and some other stuff, we're having like a real renaissance of this art style, and I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: It seems like totally really good the way game developers like went back and had their like, man, we've want to make sixteen bit eight big gangs. That's what we grew up with. It seems like now like, yeah, I just want like that same time period, but just for anime aesthetics for my game. Yeah, I want eight nineties anime.
Speaker 3: I want a game that looks like Lapoot the Castle in the Sky or Capital in the Sky.
Speaker 2: I think it's Castle in the Sky the Gibi.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: I will say that that's one thing that the character porches in this game miles better than the ones in Stardu Valley, which are like fine, it's just like little heads, and this one it is like that full anime art style, which I really like.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should do. I was thinking about this when I was playing The Mermaid Mask, which I finished, by the way, during my trip.
Speaker 4: We've all finished it, right, did you finish it, Eric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I finished it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, oh yeah, look at us. It's a really good game. Look at us, smarty pants a game. Yeah, but I was gonna say, like, that's like in the IF. I almost want to pitch a category for best character portraits for Gody, just to give this game, to give Murray mac to Shadows. I love the character portraits so much in Mermay Matt, So I'm wondering, like, oh, do I need to look at Fields of Mystery now? Like is it? Could that be in the running too? Basically I do like that.
Speaker 3: As a as a running because I will say Fire Moment has got some good character portraits too. Oh sure, we didn't talk about none with gun Oh my gosh, gun none. We got to leave some things as surprise for the folks at home.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: Everyone's seen that screenshat. That's like the It may as well be the cover art of the game at this point. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my my fire emblem don't want none if she ain't got gun hunt hunt. Yeah, yeah, there we go there that whoever give used the game, that can be the title.
Speaker 1: I'll let you'll let you have them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, alrighty, Fields of Mystery I like I mentioned out now on PC only in one point. Oh, I'm again. It's I have a pile of games. I need the gap between this and Token and also Big Walk. I still haven't h fired.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Big Walk is so good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be playing with my brother. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm playing with my girlfriend and I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I've entered the phase where I can't replay Big Walk. I might try and hop in with some people to clear up some of their puzzles and help them out and stuff, but you know, you can't ever really recapture the first play through magic.
Speaker 1: And so I've just been.
Speaker 3: Watching other people play through it and on on streams and on YouTube and stuff, and just to get a little bit of the good feeling.
Speaker 1: And it does hit.
Speaker 2: It's it's very good. You should become to let me solo her of Big Walk a Big Walk. And I have other people that.
Speaker 3: Just ruining the game, where people I love that there's ruining. There's some tech out there. So there's speed running tech that people already discovered where if you have the big uh there, they kind of look like a yoga ball that you go like cuckoo and it like lights up. People have found a way to basically do a very similar thing to what you would do in a Half Life speed run where you just kind of drop the object, hop on top of it and pick it back up and then do that over and over again to just elevate yourself into the sky, uh and fly essentially. And so it would be cool to just show up as like, let me solo, let me solo walk, I walk alone, and just pick up an orb and just take off into the sky and finish the game.
Speaker 2: Can you wear a pot on your head in this game?
Speaker 1: No comment? I don't. I don't wanna.
Speaker 3: I don't wanna spoil something there there there is a there's.
Speaker 1: One of those. It's one of those.
Speaker 3: It's one of those something on your head is potentially spoil. Yeah, yeah, there's a there's a pot on your head adjacent mechanic.
Speaker 2: Let's say, yeah, a pothead mechanic. Some might say, uh, well yeah everyone. That'll wrap it up for this week's game and former show. Thank you so much once again. Game atformer dot com slash subscribe get yourself a magazine subscription. Tenish is a year print and digital. If you don't want to do that, You can also find us in your bookstore and newsstands, both in the US and abroad. We've got our only Musha Way to Sword cover, one of my favorites that we've done since we come back. Just looks. Look at that fire, straight fire. Much like this magazine. But yes, subscribe Suport Game Informer, get yourself a magazine subscription. You can follow all of us on social media. You can follow me at Marcus Stewart seven over on Blue Sky, you can follow Eric at c Moussy, and you can follow Charles at Chuck Duck three sixty five. Oh thanks for watching everyone, and we will see you guys next week. Have a good one bye,