Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's the coworker that you didn't recognize without his beard, Ali Ward. And if you click this for fun, let's have at it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: This guest hugely popular twenty twenty two Ted Talk.
Speaker 2: It racked up millions and millions and millions of views.
Speaker 1: It's titled why Having Fun is the Secret to a Healthier life? Scientifically, what is fun? Who has it?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: And As a science journalist, she has researched topics like the culture of wellness, what's fact, what's flim flam? All about screen life balance, and wrote the book The Power of Fun, How to Feel Alive Again. So when I put out the call for questions at patreon dot com sashologies, one patron, Tabitha Delangelo, upon hearing that the topic was fun, not knowing who we were interviewing, offered, if you have not yet read it, check out The Power of Fun by Catherine Price. Uh Tabitha, we were one step ahead of you. Also, thank you to all the patrons who support the show. We literally could not do it without you. And thanks to everyone tagging their photos in ologies merch so we can see where you've been this summer and repost them. Merch is at ologiesmerch dot Com also thinks to everyone who leaves reviews, because yes, I read every single, single one of them. And this week's select is from Walker Barrow, who wrote, pick any episode and you will be instantly hooked. So if this is your first one, I hope it hooks you. Or maybe you're already hooked from the one on worms. Okay, let's get to theology. So, as you're about to learn, there's very little on this as an independent discipline. So this is a rare episode where I have to task myself with fabricating an ology for it, which we never do.
Speaker 2: We do not like to do.
Speaker 1: So I started designing a word based on Latin and Greek origins, and I came up with godiology, from the Latin for fun or the harder to say but more impressively spelled dia skeatis tecology, and a search for those words came up with nothing, no previous uses, And then.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 1: I googled funology, being like, no one's used that, right, wouldn't you know it? Hundreds of previous uses of that listeners, friends, children. I don't want this to be funology. I don't want that to be the title, and neither do you. I know it, but I cannot argue with precedent, So with a cringing heart, I'm sorry, it's got to be funology. Don't blame me because there aren't any real funologists out there, as you'll hear anyway we're going with it. But yes, this writer spent again years digging into the research and is an expert on what scientifically fun actually is. So limber up, shake off your troubles, fill your ears with info about adult versus childhood fun? What even is fun? By definition? Do introverts have special alone fun? What's the difference between happiness and laughter and fun? What is fun due to your actual meat body? Do animals have fun? Do substances mean more fun? How can you have more fun? How to have it when the world is crumbling in cinders all around you? And why it's important that you do with Award winning journalist and speaker and author literally wrote the book on fun and yes, funologist Catherine Price.
Speaker 3: I am Catherine Price, and.
Speaker 1: She okay fun expert? I mean pretty much you wrote a book about this. How often do people in casual social situations like your friends? How much are you pressured to bring the party or be uplifting in situations.
Speaker 2: Does that happen to you?
Speaker 3: I don't know how often I'm pressured to be the fun person per se, although when I go to conferences and stuff, I definitely have had people refer to me as the fun lady, and that feels like it comes with a bit of an expectation.
Speaker 2: Well, how did you steer your job toward this?
Speaker 1: Because we get paid to do jobs because typically they are not fun, although hopefully people can get into a field where they are somewhat inspired by it or it is fun. But I mean, this is a question that you must get asked at every single conference and dinner party, you know.
Speaker 3: I actually don't get asked that question too often. I basically never had a field other than writing that I was interested in, and I also have always been consumed by an awareness of my own mortality, and so I think I've had a personal I don't know, compulsion to want to feel like I'm living as fully as I possibly can. And I have a hard time taking orders from anybody who's also that. So I had a professor in college who had this philosophy of what he called creative drift, and the basic idea was that you should do whatever you're doing in the moment as well as you possibly can, and then have faith that that is going to open up opportunities for you that you couldn't possibly predict, and that that's going to lead to a more interesting life than if you try to achieve your goals head on. Like his example, I think was that he wanted to be in the National Park Service somehow, and he could have become an intern and then worked his way up the ranks, but instead he took the secutest route and eventually was invited to be a pretty high up member of the Parks Service that he never would have been offered had he taken the direct route. So anyway, that's kind of how I've tried to lead my life. I always knew I was interested in writing. I pursued freelance journalism after college, which is not a great career idea. It wasn't then and it certainly is not now.
Speaker 2: Been there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So my first major book was about the history of vitamins and nutrition, and that was in part because I have Type one diabetes and in part because Michael Polland, the Food Writer, was my journalism school mentor, and also in part because my husband had a dream one night in which for some reason he was thinking what's a vitamin? And asked me what's a vitamin the next day and I said I don't really know, and he said, you should write a book about it, and so off I went. But then, more relevantly, how I got to this project is that we had our daughter in twenty fifteen, and a certain point I realized that I was spending a lot of time looking at my phone when I was with her, and she was looking at me as I was looking at my phone, and I really did not like that. I have a background in mindfulness, and again, I try to live a meaningful and joyful and present life, and so that led me to write this book, How to Break Up with Your Phone. And then I had this realization that if you take back the time that we spend on our phones, you end up with a lot of free time, and if you're like me, that can lead to a minor existential crisis where you suddenly don't know what you want to do with yourself and feel just panicked. But long story short, that led me to a new journey of exploration that led to me becoming very curious about the feeling of fun, and so that's how I got to this point. I really have tried to follow my interests, and yeah, there have been ups and downs, but right now I'm working on fun. I'm working on writing about how we can feel a live more generally.
Speaker 1: And Catherine says that being a parent has also shifted her focus to enjoying life more and being an example of more mentally healthy routines, especially after her twenty eighteen book about scrolling habits came out and her daughter nine has been listening as children do.
Speaker 3: I mean, she started giving copies of How to Break Up with Your Phone to her babysitters, which is way more confrontational than I am, but I'm like, yeah, we really do try to model the idea that it's really important to have fun and be present with each other and be playful and connected.
Speaker 1: When you started researching fun, how did you start to crack into that? How many different types of experts like multidisciplinary did you have to talk to, because I imagine there are so many different aspects of play and fun and relaxation and distraction. How did you start to crack into that?
Speaker 3: Well, she'll probably give me the backstory of like how the phone led to fun and so I had a mini existential crisis when I started spending less time on my phone, but I hadn't yet identified what I wanted to spend time on. And in one of these mini crises, critical moments, whatever, I was in the middle of a crisis, I asked myself this question I'd ask people when I was writing how to break up with your phone, which was, what's something you say you want to do but you supposedly don't have time for. And the logic there was that we do have more time than we realized, we're just spending a lot of it mindlessly scrolling. And so my answer to that question was I wanted to learn how to play guitar because I played piano since I was a kid, and I love music and I have a guitar, but I didn't really know how to play it. So I ended up signing up for this adult music class at what was actually a children's music studio, but it was like byob It met on Wednesday nights. It was this group of other parents who were there to just play together, like I'm like, both literally and metaphorically, because we weren't going to perform. This was not like going to become a rock stars. And I started just really looking forward to Wednesday nights in a way that felt a little bit foreign, especially because at that point I was a new parent and I think that, you know, i'd been so engrossed in like early parenting. There was just this feeling of freedom and euphoria that I was having in this class. It felt very foreign at that time, and I started getting curious about what that feeling was. And it took me an embarrassingly long time to put a word to it, and eventually I was like, Oh, I'm having fun. I'm having fun. This feels really good. I want more of this. And then that's when the science journals really kicked in. I was like, well, what is fun? What is this? And then I got very curious about like what is this doing to me? It feels so good emotionally, is it doing anything physically? What do we know? What's the research about fun? And that's when I think it got really interesting because when I tried to look into a definition of fun, what I found was totally inadequate in terms of how well it matched what I was experiencing. The dictionary definition basically said it was enjoyment or amusement or lighthearted pleasure, which is true, but this was lighting me up for the entire week, and it was bringing out this feeling of joy that was just so nourishing. It was not just kind of simple pleasure.
Speaker 4: Sounds so nice.
Speaker 3: And then I looked into the research. So I started to look into PubMed, you know, the biomedical database, and just seeing what was there, like looking in textbooks and stuff, and there was basically nothing like when I looked in PubMed the first time. One of the absolute top hits was this article that was called Putting the Fun in Fungui and it was about toenail fungus. And that was kind of when I knew I needed to write a book about it, because I was like, Okay, that's hilarious. Definitely not the type of fun I'm talking about. And seriously, if that's the top hit on research on fun, like that's crazy because this is a word we use all the time. So I started to look into some of what the other non fungal papers were. Most of them really didn't apply, but there were a couple that said things like fun is not a term in any index of any psychology textbook of which we're aware. That struck me as really weird.
Speaker 1: Catherine was shocked to see that there were experts in play but not in fun. She couldn't even find a scientific definition of fun, and so she embarked on some of her own research, speaking to experts about the elements of fun, which we're going to learn in a second, and also doing some sociological data gathering.
Speaker 3: So that's how I kind of got into it. But I was genuinely shocked that there was so little out there about fun, considering we'll use that word all the time. We all think we know what fun is, but what is fun?
Speaker 1: And how is fun different from play and different from joy?
Speaker 3: So basically like what I did for the research for this, and I should note this was in by this point. It was like April of twenty twenty when I signed the book contract, so this was like full on lockdown.
Speaker 1: And folks, people are still getting COVID, so be careful out there. But during the lockdown, a lot of time at home to work on a sociology mission.
Speaker 3: So it was a very interesting period of time to be thinking about fun and to be asking other people to think about fun. But anyway, I asked people on my mailing list to if anyone was interested, fill out a survey where I asked people to share with me three examples from their own lives that they would describe of memories they would describe as having been quote so fun, with the so capitalized. Because I'm a science journalist, I didn't know how else to phrase it. It wasn't very technical. And then I asked them, can you describe an experience or something you might plan that would feel fun if you could do anything right now? And it was absolutely fascinating because I got thousands of responses to this survey, and it was from people all around the world, and the details they shared with me were obviously different, right, but there were commonalities that kept popping out, like the feeling was the same, so the emotion was the same, And then there were themes that popped out. One thing that really stood out to me is that there was something very powerful, emotionally moving about these stories people were sharing that did not, again match up with the Dictionary definition of fun just being lighthearted pleasure. So when I read through people's stories, I often found myself simultaneously with a huge smile on my face, but also feeling like I was about to cry, like there was something very moving about these stories. And there were also three themes that kept popping out again and again and again, to the point that I came to conclude or hypothesize that they constitute a definition of what fun truly is that's more accurate than the idea that it's just lighthearted enjoyment. And then I ran my definition by the people who had shared their stories with me to see if they agreed that this would match their experiences, and the vast majority of people said it did capture it. So my hypothesis is that true fun is the confluence of three states.
Speaker 1: Okay, so pay attention. Fun has three ingredients, and they are.
Speaker 3: And those three states are playfulness, connection, and flow. So playfulness is often misconstrued by adults as meaning you need to act like a child, or you need to be silly or somehow be immature, which makes a lot of people very uncomfortable. But to clarify, I'm actually talking more about the attitude that you bring to a situation or your life, like a playful attitude, finding ways to laugh, not taking yourself too seriously, you know, letting down your guard regardless of what the actual activity is, and that is nearly Actually, I would say it was universal in people's stories, this spirit of playfulness, the element of connection was interesting because truly, the vast, vast, vast majority of stories people shared with me, there was another person involved, and that was true even for people who self describe themselves as introverts. And I found that fascinating. Sometimes dogs were involved, but really it was normally people. And it was to the point that, you know, I asked people, did anything surprise you about what you just told me? And there were a number of people who said something like, I'm an introvert, but all the stories I just told you had another person in them. So there seems to be this element of having a shared experience, like a special shared experience. And that was actually one of the top picks when I gave people a list of descriptors that they could choose to describe their fun experiences. Special shared experience was one of the top, alongside laughter.
Speaker 1: Just brutal to be reading these during lockdown too, Yes.
Speaker 3: Exactly, that was the depressing part. I was like, oh, human connection.
Speaker 1: But that also gives us such an insight into why maybe the last few years have been so difficult exactly.
Speaker 3: And it also that was helpful in that particular moment because it meant that if any possibilities for human connection arose, I should take them, like you know, a zoom happy hour. Would I want to do that right now?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But like then yes, yes please, because that's like as close as you're.
Speaker 1: Going to get. So so far we have one playfulness too, shared experience maybe a human or an animal connection. And then the last.
Speaker 3: Element was flow and flow is a is your listeners mar or you know, it's a term that describes a state we get into when we're totally actively engrossed in something that we're doing, like up often to the point where you lose track of time. So the quintessential example is an athlete playing a game. Or the psychologists who coined the term chick sent me high He actually used the example of rock climbers. He did a lot of interviews with rock climbers, because if you're scaling a rock wall, your mind is not wandering, You're totally focused on what you're doing in that moment.
Speaker 1: And me Hi cheek sent me high e. It's quite a name. A Hungarian psychologist and author coined that term flow after many, many interviews with painters and rock climbers and hobbyists, factory workers, people across all these different vocations and interests, and he kept hearing about being swept away in something like a river of focus. Hence the term flow, and his nineteen ninety book Flow, the Psychology of Optimal Experience was on so many artists and politicians nightstance it probably still is, and in it he wrote, flow happens when a person's skills are fully involved in overcoming a challenge that is just about manageable, so it acts as a magnet for learning new skills. So too easy, you get bored too hard, and it sucks in provokes anxiety. But flow happens also where there are some clear goals and some high stakes and being in your body chicks. Meai was not a fan of TV, and though he died just a few years ago at age eighty seven, he probably would not have thought highly of the amount of time I've spent looking at an algorithm of DIY home renovations, especially since I'm not doing any DIY home renovations. In fact, some sociologists have noted that the ubiquity of television in the nineteen forties and fifties has a direct correlation to a drop in hobbies and in inventions. People were too occupied with the Ed Sullivan Show to go tanker on things in the garage, and now we're too occupied with content of people tinkering in their garage to tanker in our garage. But why did he cite rock climbing so much? What was to deal with that? Well, he was also a rock climber, and he said in his book that the mystique of rock climbing is climbing. You get to the top of rock glad it's over, but really wish it could go on forever.
Speaker 2: He writes.
Speaker 1: The justification of climbing is climbing. I will note it's always a good day when you don't fall to your death. And for more on that in particular, you can see the show notes for our Quasi Thanatology episode about near death experiences.
Speaker 3: But we all can get into in less dramatic situations like this conversation, for example, or in a work project. But it's basically like you're not distracted. You were actively engaged and focused. It's not the same as losing track of time. If you're watching TV, which I always like to clarify, that's what you sent me high called junk flow, and that's a different state. It's very active. So what I came to conclude for myself and propose is that true fun is the center of that Venn diagram where you have playfulness, end, connection, and flow all existing at once. I think that kind of answers your question about play, that play is part of fun or playfulness is part of fun. I'd also want to clarify, like fun as a feeling, it's not actually an activity. I think a lot of times people will say, oh, you know, like what's fun, and they'll say, oh, I don't know, Like going to concerts or pickleball was very common for a while, But it's like we all have times when we went to a concert and it was incredibly fun, and then we went to a concert and maybe even the same performer and it wasn't so fun. So it's not so much about the activity itself, but rather the feeling that's produced. And then, in terms of joy, when you're asking about what do I see the difference being between fun and joy? I think that fun is a type of joy, like they kind of fit together, but they're not the same. Like you can have joy that's not playful, like the example I always uses the birth of a child, right, or you're not laughing necessarily, no, I'm crying. So I think that they're related, but they're not the same. But that fun, the feeling of fun produces joy, Like if you're having fun, you're probably also feeling pretty joyful in that particular moment.
Speaker 1: When we think that we're relaxing or having fun by by scrolling and by consuming other people's fun on a tiny screen, how do you think that's different from the lasting feeling we get when we're doing something with someone else and we're in flow and we're losing track of time and we're being goofy and we're not being so hard on ourselves or self conscious. Why do we get sucked into doing things that are not actually great for us or our brain, but they eat up so much of our time when they're not really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you bring up a number of important points there, because first of all, those are different experiences. Like mindlessly scrolling or passively consuming stuff is not the same as having this like joyful interaction with people or having an experience, And that's part of the reason I think it's so important to get dorky about what the word fun means because we use the word fun to describe both of those things. You know, anything we do with our leisure time we typically think of as well, we did that for fun, but as social media scrolling fun. I think if you actually thought about that, most people would say, no, no, that's not fun, that's just something I do to relax, or it's a waste of time. But I also think it's important to clarify. I think, sorry, first of all, thank you for asking me all these detailed questions, because I often feel like people will be totally bored by me getting this detailed. So hopefully your listeners are into this. Hell yeah we are.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's get nerdy about it, right.
Speaker 3: I think about our leisure time as being dividable into three buckets, and one bucket would be the things that lead to this feeling of true fun, right, this feeling of playful, connected flow. And to me, those are the things that I at least want to prioritize the most because that is such a wonderfully nourishing feeling and it's so good for us on so many levels, which we can talk about more. And then on the other side of the spectrum, I think of activities that produce the feeling of what I call fake fun. And that's why I keep saying true fun instead of just fun, because I think opposite is fake fun, and that's stuff like scrolling through social media for too long or watching TV to the point where you actually just feel gross. It's kind of like junk food. So I think a fake fun as being activities or products or services that are marketed to us as fun, but they don't actually produce this feeling of playful, connected flow, and they're kind of like junk food, where they're very easy to binge on, and in fact, they're designed to be easy to binge on. To answer your question about why we do that so often even if it doesn't feel good, but then we feel gross afterwards, kind of like when you eat an entire bag of tato chips and then you're like, what did I just do? But then I also think it's important to note there's this big middle category of things we just enjoy, kind of an acquietor way, like solitary hobbies or interests like reading or going for a walk or doing a craft or even watching TV or movies to the point where it's still enjoyable, like just watching a couple episodes of your favorite show instead of watching seven hours of it.
Speaker 1: So solitary hobbies and passive consumption can be enjoyable and healthy. But if we're getting real dorky and real pedantic, they are not the same as what Catherine calls capital TF true fun.
Speaker 2: But solitary or passive hobbies are.
Speaker 1: Also not mindlessly unhealthy junk or fake fun.
Speaker 3: And that's really important for us to recognize because those activities are often more accessible because you can do them alone, and they're very nourishing in kind of a different way. They're kind of like rejuvenating in a quieter way than the things that might lead to true fun.
Speaker 1: What about people who have different types of fun? Do people experience fun different ways? If you've got let's say, ADHD and you're a little bit more wired for dopamine, or if you are on the autism spectrum and maybe you are more introverted, did you find that there was a lot of variance or did you find that those kind of three aspects of fun were pretty universal?
Speaker 3: I found that those aspects of fun are those three ingredients of fun were pretty universal playfulness and connection and flow. But what that looks like to different people is different, and I don't want to hypothesize about anyone's particular individual experience, but I can say more broadly speaking that I mean, I think about the concept of what I call fun magnets, and each of us has a different collection of fun magnets. So an activity that often leads to me feeling this playful, connected flow like for me made me not the same as what does it for you, And that would apply, I think in the neurodivergence situation too, But it doesn't even have to do with neurodivergence as much as it does the diversity of people and our interest and how we respond to situations. So, just as a concrete example, a one hundred percent fun magnet for me or nearly all the time is playing music with friends like that just tends to generate the feeling of fun for me. So that is a fun magnet for me. My husband, on the other hand, does not play an instrument. That wouldn't be it's not fun to him at all, Like that is not a fun magnet. That's like horrible. And also if he were to tag along, it wouldn't be fun for me because I'd be aware of my husband and that he's not having fun. So it's been very helpful in our relationship to recognize, like, that's one of my fun magnets, it's not one of his. On the flip side, he really loves like multi day camping trips, you know, in remote locations where you hike up hills and then like sleep on the ground, and I have really bad knees and I like my bed, So like that's not a fun magnet for me. He reaches out My point being like I do think that the feeling of fun and the energy it produces in those three ingredients, the playfulness and connection and flow, those appear to be universal, but each of us reaches that state via a different path. And so that's why when I collected people's stories, all the details were different. People were doing very different things, and they were with different sorts of people. Sometimes they were alone, you know, but the resulting feeling tended to be the same.
Speaker 1: So while fun tends to incorporate those three elements play, connectedness, maybe with a horse or a friend or the universe, and flow, we may have different activities that present that ven diagram of true fun. So mulling over yours, staring into space at a bus stop, recalling the good times, maybe looking through your phone's photos to be like, hey, that was fun, or just thinking of yours is a great place to start. Scientifically speaking, do they know, like an functional MRI, what parts of the brain are lighting up when you're having fun, like what networks go on or offline, or what happens physiologically.
Speaker 3: Well, again, there's no research on fun. Oh, and I think it'd be very difficult to get someone into an fMRI s you're like, let me, let me put you this thing on your head while you're playing soccer. I don't think that would work. So no, I don't think I mean for fun per se. I don't think that we can say for sure what's happening. But I would say, like, what I came to conclude is that if you buy my hypothesis that it is the confluence of these three states. There is research about what happens when we're experiencing social connection, for example, or when we're inflow.
Speaker 1: Okay, take for example, the twenty seventeen study the connection prescription using the power of social interactions and the Deep Desire for connectedness to empower health and wellness, which notes that there is significant evidence that social support and feeling connected can help people maintain a healthier body composition, can control blood sugars, improve cancer survival, decrease cardiovascular mortality, decrease depressive symptoms, Feeling connected can mitigate PTSD symptoms, and improve overall mental health, and that the opposite of connection, social isolation, they say, has a negative effect on health and can increase depressive symptoms as well as mortality. There's also the twenty ten meta analysis titled Social Relationships and Mortality risk and that dug through like one hundred and fifty papers and it crunched some numbers to find that social connections with friends and family and neighbors or colleagues improves the odds of survival by fifty percent. And if you're alone in a room, a dark room that's like a closet, like I am recording this right now, how bad can isolation be?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: To quote the study, low social interaction was reported to be similar to smoking fifteen cigarettes a day, having alcohol addiction, or not exercising at all, and low social interaction is twice as harmful as having unhealthy body composition. So more fun is playfulness plus social connections plus flow equals a longer life. But more importantly for United States citizens not having to make a GoFundMe to cover chemo or physical therapy bills. So get THEE to a carnival or a knitting circle, or a kickball league or a kazoo band, like your life depends on it, because it does.
Speaker 3: One thing I found particularly interesting in terms of a physiological thing is the idea of what fun is the opposite of Oh, so if you think about things we know that are very very bad for us over time, like emotional stress, right, very bad for us because it raises our levels of cortisol, which is a stress hormone that is there to help us run away from immediate physical threats. Yeah, because it does things like I mean, you guys probably know this, but like you know, it spikes your blood sugar and it increases your heart rate and your blood pressure. Those are great things if you have to run away, But if that happens over time, you can see why that might lead to increased risks for all sorts of health conditions, like you know, walll high bloo pressu itself or heart attack or stroke or type two diabetes, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So stress the opposite of fun.
Speaker 3: Emotional isolation, social isolation, and loneliness, those have the same effects, The same health risks are associated with those states, and probably because of the cortisol levels that come from we as a social species being isolated alone. So if you know that emotional stress and then loneliness and isolation are very bad for us physically and actually do increase health risks, I think it stands to reason that an intervention like fun that does the opposite might also have the opposite effect, by which I mean when people are having fun, it's a very relaxed and open state, and it's also, as we were just talking about, usually a state in which you're feeling socially connected. I didn't read any stories from people's fun experiences where they said they were lonely during the experience, But I think that given the fact that fun is an open, relaxed state that often involves social connection, it makes sense to hypothesize that it would be good for us on a physical level.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting too, because I feel like after the lockdown, so many people started working from home, and I'm feeling there's probably been a bit of a shift in general about how isolated we are because we realized we could be and it was more convenient in some cases. And you know, there's still spikes in the pandemic and things like that, so it's just kind of more inbuilt into our society now, into our culture.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's really tricky because it's so much easier. I mean, we're doing this interview, it's three pm where I am, and I am still in my pajama pants because I've been working from home all day and just Zoom calls right, oh boy, okay, cheers literally safe.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I changed my shirt before I locked down, still in Phagamma.
Speaker 3: I'd like to say I did, but I think if I'm being honest with I think I fell asleep in this shirt because I wore yesterday. Anyway, we need that, get into that, moving on. But you like, this life is so much more convenient not going to I never had an office, but like if you had an office, it's more convenient not to go into the office. It feels easier to just because it is because it's inertia. So it actually I think it really does require us to think, wait a second, like does this feel good? I think to some degree it feels good. It's lovely to be able to work from home. But I've always had a freelance rule for myself where if it is past noon and I'm still in my pajama pants, that's not a good day. And I think it is worth kind of like thinking about that individually and as a society and as you know, your workplace whatever. Is like, how do we bring back that feeling of genuine human connection because I think it's really lacking right now and it's causing a lot of problems.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm wondering when you were talking about fund magnets and making time for fun, how do people work that out for themselves? Is it trial and error? Is it sitting down with a piece of paper and figuring out what gives them excitement.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of different ways you can do it. I mean maybe if you're listening to this, you've already kind of started to reflect and like, oh, yeah, that is fun to me. But I think you could have a conversation with a friend, say that you listen to this, you know, conversation between us and like let's try to figure out, like what are your fund magnets. If you have the journaling type, you could do it on paper. One way and is to just think back on some of your own fun experiences, like things that stand out in your own mind as having been so fun. But you might be surprised to find, like to notice the people that keep popping up, because maybe you have one friend that you really enjoy having like intense emotional conversations with, but they're not the same person that you feel the most joyful and free and alive with, you know, and you might be surprised by the settings. I've had a lot of people who will say things like, oh, I thought I hated being outside, but like all of my fun memories Inbove horseback riding or something like that, they were outside. But like, you might just be kind of surprised if you just start to write down some past fun experiences by what themes emerge. And that's a way to find fun magnets. And then what you do with that is you can look at your list to be like, oh, well, these are my priorities in your limited leisure time. These are the things you should prioritize and try to just spend more time on and then you can go a step further if you want. This is for the real, real dorks out there, is like ask yourself what characteristics these things share. I think these as like fun factors, like maybe maybe nature and outdoorness. Outdoorness, I'm not sure that that is a word. Being outside is like popping up again and again and again. Well, then you know that if you have the option to do something outside, it's probably a good idea or like maybe you know, for me, like music is a fun factor. If there's music, I'm probably going to enjoy it more than something else. Or maybe it's physicality, or maybe it's performance. For some people, you know, maybe it's risk, maybe it's thrill. Like there's all these kind of characteristics that you might start to notice like oh yeah, I typically really enjoy myself when that's present, and you can use that to start to curate what you spend time on.
Speaker 1: So if you were to think back on your most fun memories, what might they have in common? Like what were you doing? What made you become a real goof without caring? What made you feel seen and accepted and connected? And what did you lose yourself in and In her book, Catherine also notes this hierarchy of needs that have to be fulfilled to even think about fun, things like safety and food and water and shelter, which in some societies and conditions are simply too difficult to secure. But if you are lucky and privileged and safe enough to be able to think about making your life more enjoyable, those are the elements.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As a science writer and someone who spent years researching and interviewing experts and lay people, Catherine saw these greater patterns that help individuals figure out their own sources of true fun, which we also need to survive in the long run.
Speaker 2: All work, no.
Speaker 1: Play makes the guy with the acts a real asshole.
Speaker 3: But I think it's really important to note that what I'm talking about right now is a very engineered approach to fun, where it's like, figure out your fun magnets and then schedule outurday afternoon. And that's, like, I think, is actually essential for a lot of adults, because for adults, our lives are so busy that spontaneous fun is less likely. Like when you're a kid, you just are having fun, you didn't really think about it, But as adults, we actually do need to go through these kind of seemingly academic exercises to kind of figure that out and make sure we're prioritizing it. But on the flip side, we also just need to be a little bit more open to spontaneous fun and maybe try to like get into more of what I think of as a fun mindset, or just make a bit more space in our lives reduce distractions so that when you see like a friend's number pop up in your phone at three o'clock, you know, in the afternoon, and you normally would silence it to instead be like, you know what, I'm going to talk to them for fifteen minutes because that might actually be fun and it's spontaneous. Or if someone proposes or if you propose a spontaneous activity, like say yes to it. So there's two sides. There's like the engineered fun and there's also just like opening ourselves to opportunities for fun that probably are floating around us already, or creating those kind of spontaneous opportunities.
Speaker 1: Okay, here are some things that sound fun to me. You did not ask, but I asked myself, So I'm telling you checking out maybe some outdoor movie screenings, mini golf, I would hit that. I'd do it a county fair, finding out who has fruit trees that you're welcome to pick from, and then going for a walk and taking that fruit, baking a new recipe with someone you like, volunteering oddly fun, trust me. So it was a craft night or a game night, a fun photographic bug hunt. See the Apaiology episode about that, always down for that.
Speaker 2: Making stuff out.
Speaker 1: Of clay also sounds like a blast. These may not be your ideals, but think about what has those elements of getting lost in the moment, or hanging out with another a live thing and just getting to kind of dick around with no stakes, or even just picking up the phone and saying, oh, hey, I got fifteen minutes. Let's talk about something of zero importance.
Speaker 3: And if I took a step back, I'd be like, Catherine, what are you actually doing at three fifteen? You're scrolling through the news and checking the email over and over again, and the work quote unquote is just that you're still sitting in front of the computer. If you were more thoughtful about it, you'd take the call, walk around the block while talking with your friend, and then come back to your computer, refreshed and be more productive.
Speaker 1: Ugh, oh that's so true. I have one billion questions. May I ask them? All of them, every single one of them, word for word, in great detail.
Speaker 3: I'm already in my pajamas. We can go all night.
Speaker 1: But before we dive into your questions, let's take a fistfall of cash and let's toward a worthy cause. And this week, Catherine would like it to go to Breakthrough te d dot org, which was founded in nineteen seventy by families whose loved ones had been diagnosed with type one diabetes T one D. If you're cool and Breakthrough t one D is a leading global Type one diabetes research and advocacy organization, all with the goal to make T one D a thing of the past. So a donation will go to them in Catherine's name, in the name of her pancreas thinks, to sponsors of the show. Okay, let's leap into the ballpit of your questions. Get your hand sanitizer. Okay, first question, Hi, this is Eliot.
Speaker 4: I'm in Seattle, Washington, and my question is is fun contagious the same way that laughter is? I know, if I start laughing about something other people will laugh along with me. But if I am having fun, will other people have fun just watching me? Or will they just kind of walk on by scratching their head?
Speaker 1: Is fun contagious?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I like that question. I've never been asked that question. I think it can be. I don't think it always is, because you could have a situation where the people are around are total wet blankets.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: I mean that too dismissively of the other people. I think that a lot of us are so stressed and so tense that it's really hard for us to actually open ourselves to fun. With that said, yeah, I think it is contagious if you see that people are having fun and you're involved in that and they're laughing. I mean, fun and laughter are so intertwined. Laughter, I think, is the number one sign that you're having fun. So if laughter is contagious, yes, fun is also contagious. I'd also say one thing I've observed that I thought was just really beautiful is that if you just listen to other people talk about memories of their own fun experiences, it's energizing and joyful as a listener.
Speaker 1: Patron TJ. McKenna also wanted to know if fun was contagious. So there you go. And after this interview, I was so pumped. I tore through Catherine's book and she has some great anecdotal examples of people surveyed. They're called her Fun Squad about some of their most prominent memories. I mean a radio couple. She reads them in her audiobook too, and they're great. So some examples of fun she collected include the first thing that came to mind was squishing mud through my toes. Walking in mud is fun and gross. I'm not sure the most recent time I've done this, but I suspect my sense memory is from sometime in high school, along a particular path, and probably with my friend Margaret. Another person said playing fetch with an exuberant silly dog. This was last weekend. I'm thirty two. Another person's fun time included dance class. I'm often overwhelmed by the fun I have on a Friday morning in a church hall with a bunch of older ladies. I've been doing this class since i was forty one, and I'm forty six now. I'm usually the youngest in the room. We do things like dance are imaginary tales like swishy peacock feathers or a fluffy bunny tail. We tickle clouds, squawk like birds, claw the air, or move as though our feet are in marshmallow. Yeah, it's fun. One person told Catherine that they travel to remote northern Siberia when it was still the USSR, when they were twenty two formerly closed towns that had never seen westerners, and it was a one month environmental volunteer exchange and one weekend they visited a children's camp, spending a day singing and playing and splashing in a small lake. And they write, I couldn't speak their language, and aside from translators, they couldn't speak mine. The most unadulterated joy of my life occurred that summer day, the deep essential to survival creativity of one hundred children inviting us into their world with such pure wholeheartedness, silliness, song, and wonder. The experience is imprinted now on my DNA. So it was, for lack of a better word, fun. So asking family or friends or strangers this question, or even an internet form can be really inspiring to figure out when your brain and body were in sync and you were having an actual good time, which I promise you. Unfortunately, is not going to be scrolling for products to buy on your phone screen as much as our phone screen. Wats that so bad?
Speaker 3: Just go back and forth, like reminiscing about past fun and notice how just that reminiscence feels both your own reminiscing and just feeling that. I don't know, it sounds so like cheesy to say, like the other person's energy, but truly like the way their face lights up, and how you feel listening to and witnessing them get so happy and excited telling you the story. So long, answer short, Yes, it's contagious.
Speaker 1: I do feel like just hearing about other people's fun experiences is inspiring, Like the same way it would be like if you saw someone eating a corn dog and you'd be like, I kind of do want a corn dog?
Speaker 3: You know, give me that corn dog. But you know it's being in person with someone or even over a zoom call, but like sharing directly with each other in just a celebratory way, these past fun experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and corn dogs and corn.
Speaker 4: Dogs spectacularly, give me fourteen.
Speaker 2: Of them right now.
Speaker 1: Pyes, I'd like you to know that corn dogs are thought to have been invented around nineteen ten when a corn bread mold manufacture put out a pan that was designed to look like a cylinder of corn bread in the shape of an ear of corn and accommodate a hot dog in the middle. And this innovation was called the Crusty corn Dog Baker and I can hear your thoughts, and I know you want to purchase an antique model for nineteen hundred dollars on Etsy, and you can also krusty and corn both spelled with keys. Also, if you're wondering why the Baker's Field, California new metal band Corn also spells their name of the k, it's because a member of the band vetoed the name Corn spelled with a C. Also, did you know that the R and corn is backwards because a few members of Corn at at one time worked at Toys RS, which as a backwards are Yeah, I can see that flow swept me away like a whitewater current. But corn dogs, they're no laughing matter. Speaking of laughter, many patrons asked about laughing and giggling and its role in fun including Elizabeth Mina, Bob b Lane, Steely Clean Church, Jenna Condon, Jen A and Stephanie Rosso, first time question asker who wrote in how do we quantify fun? Is it comparable to humor? Like a chuckle versus a belly laugh? What about laughter? How much is laughter a part of fun? Or are they kind of two different things? Is humor classified kind of as fun because it typically involves in exchange and because typically you are being playful?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I love these questions. I think that humor and laughter aren't necessarily the same thing. There's so many reasons people laugh. There is a lot of research on laughter. We're talking about the positive forms of laughter here, not just like the awkward laughter or the mocking laughter not fun. So I don't think it necessarily needs to be humorous. And I say that in part because I don't want people to feel pressured thinking that you gotta be funny to have fun or to create fun. That was something that I came across my research is when I asked people to describe people from their lives who were fun, and then said why were their friends fun? It wasn't always like they're telling jokes and they're the life of the party. It was more things like they laugh at other people's jokes, or they're up for anything, or they make everybody feel comfortable in their presence. So I think that's kind of an important thing to keep in mind. But I do think that if you find yourself laughing with another person, it's highly likely you're having fun together.
Speaker 2: That's so sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really wonderful because I kind of think it's like, I don't know, laughter is kind of like fun bubbling out.
Speaker 2: That's so sweet.
Speaker 1: That's it's interesting too to think that the pressure of having to entertain someone as opposed to the pressure of just being present and relaxed and letting people feel like they can be themselves too.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's important for introverts in particular to hear because, you know, people tend to think you have to be an extrovert to be a quote fun person, but it's not at all the case. It's like, if you're just someone who who makes other people feel comfortable and you go with the flow and you're you know, yes, anding to use improvisational comedy terminology like that creates a fun atmosphere.
Speaker 1: And for those who have never taken an improv comedy class or dated anyone in Los Angeles, the first rule of improv is yes ending, which means when your scene partner proposes something, you agree that that's where you are and what you're doing, and then you add to it. So let's say you're in an improv class or show and you're on a bear stage and the scene starts with the other actor saying, I can't believe it. We're finally astronauts out of spaceship. You don't say, what do you mean, We're not in a spaceship, We're in the valley. You say, yes, we are on a spaceship and can we find a place to stop for a snack and p or yes, we are on a spaceship and what time do you think we're going to land to kill all the earthlinks? Yes? And I have heard comedians reference yes and in their wedding vows. So yes, ant just go with it, keep building something together.
Speaker 3: What's not fun is when you shut people down and you're a wet blanket. When you're like I don't want to do that, or like you're like that was a stupid comment, like that kind of stuff. We're just kind of judging other people or criticizing them. That's when you're not a fun person. Ah know, you can be an extrovert and be a jerk.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but haters need not apply, necesariously need not apply. So many people had a great question about fears and thrills. Looking at you patrons Rika Putten and Arwin don Ewell, Lauren Cooper, Earl of Grammelkin, Tessa Gleeson, ariel bel Sdi Lennox, Jamie Alexander, and first time question askers Ana Dylan sky Folio and Andy Pepper and Magzaroni first time question asker know why do some people find roller coasters fun and others like horror movies? Gail Starr also like, why do people find scary activities like skydiving fun and others dread them? What's going on with thrill seeking and bungee jumping and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad they asked this question. This goes back to the thing I was saying about fun factors, like what are characteristics of experiences or interactions that make something feel fun to one person but not to another?
Speaker 2: Think playing music versus camping.
Speaker 3: And I would say that risk and thrill are definitely dividing lines for people. To first clarify, risk and thrill, to my mind, are different because like, okay, skydiving or race car driving, that's actually risky. You might actually get hurt. Right, That's different from a thrill of a slide at the water park, where like it's safe hopefully. So I would say risk is always thrilling, but thrill does not always necessarily require a risk. But regardless, some people love risk and thrill and some people don't. I personally hate horror movies. That is like a nightmare for me. It would create nightmares. So I think that that kind of comes down to some people really enjoy the feeling of an adrenaline rush and some people don't. And I think this actually brings up a very important point and goes back to one of your earlier questions. Everyone reaches fun or experiences fun differently, and we should not feel pressured to accept someone else's version of fun.
Speaker 1: So to address Nicole Wackerley's question, who asked, why are a in fueled activities like riding roller coasters or skydiving fun for some me at nightmares for others? My significant other Nicole writes or patron Zoe Litton wrote in about their brother and their mom who love these things and they don't.
Speaker 2: What can one do.
Speaker 3: Like, if you were really good friends with someone or married to someone who loves roller coasters and you hate them, that's fine. You just that's not your fun factor, that's not a fun magnet. That's fine. Maybe don't go to the amusement park with them because you'll ruin it for them, but like let them go, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And some people wanted to know in terms of you know, you mentioned risks. Some people wanted to know, like sheep In for some question, asker, where is the line that separates I'm doing this activity because it's fun, and I'm doing this activity because I have an addiction. As someone with addictive tendencies, it can feel blurry sometimes. And Jason Lowenthal wanted to know. Also curious about the instant gratification thing, as I've seen others ask here, but also how that ties with alcohol or alcoholism or drugs and addiction patrons. Mantha wanted to know where addiction to phones comes in. Ryan the Tiger asked about things like video games and gambling. Certain substances all seem to start with that initial fun feeling and then they become habitual. And Ivan Gonzales in Arizona asked what is the effect of alcohol in having fun? Because when I go out and get drunk, I have a lot of fun. Listen to wake up the following morning. Do addictions do they substitute, do they augment fun? Do they take away from it? What's going on there?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we're talking about two separate things, right, like substances that might help us let go. And then how do you tell when you cross the line from enjoyment something you want to continue pursuing to an addiction. A lot of people ask me about the role of alcohol and fun, and I would say that it is true many for adults, many fun memories involve alcohol, right like the wedding, dance party, or you know. I think that that is because alcohol loosens us up, and it reduces inhibitions and makes us more playful, makes us feel more comfortable with that letting go. Ideally, I think we would try to reach a state where we were able to do that without the help of alcohol. But I think that is why it's so often involved. And so if you're able to mindfully, you know, be aware of that and be like, all right, well, I'm going out for dinner with my friends and I know that I've a glass of wine. It's going to be more fun, and I'm okay with that. That's I think fine.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 3: The question then is whether you have an addictive personality or is this going to cause a problem. Are you going to be able to stop at one glass or are you going to have six cocktails at the holiday office party and then do something you really regret? You know, like you don't so that's tricky, but I do understand that. That's why I think that alcohol and substances are so often involved in people's memories that stand out to them as fun is because there's this lack of inhibition that comes with it that we should aspire to be able to achieve without the substance. In terms of the addiction aspect, I think that well to define addiction, I would define it is when you continue to engage in a behavior that has negative consequences, Like despite the negative consequences, you feel compelled to continue the behavior. That's kind of the simplest definition of addiction that I found. If you think about fun as being playful, connected flow, I think it's very healthy, Like those goals are healthy. The question is whether you might start to get two oriented towards, as you were saying, the quick pleasure and the quick hit, probably involving dopamine, because that's involved in our addictions of a particular activity and it starts to impede on the rest of your life. So I think that's the litmus test for any addiction. Is it something you're doing having negative consequences on the rest of your life, but you don't feel like you can stop, because then that's a problem.
Speaker 1: And for more on dopamine seeking risks or relationships with substances, we have a three part ADHD episode and we also have an addictionology episode. Those are linked in the show notes, just in case this is something that you're looking out with a more critical eye. I know, for me, what has loosened me up in uncomfortable social settings can also be tough to do in moderation, which only leads to a lot of not fun the next day, and this reinforcement of a feeling that I'm not okay as I am, which sucks.
Speaker 3: But I would argue that when it reaches that point, it's not fun anymore. Like yeah, if you really stick to the definition of fun as playful, connected flow and without negative consequences like then it's not fun. Then it crosses the line. Good to keep your eye on, though, especially if you are someone with an addictive personality.
Speaker 1: Well it's interesting too because thinking about the notion of junk fun versus true, authentic fun, I think we probably might find compulsions around fun that's not actually fun, but we think it's relaxing.
Speaker 3: That's a very good point, because that's very true. It's probably fake fun. If you're like you can't stop doing something, it's probably because you're getting these quick hits of dopamine, which is a very common sign the fake fun. The things people tend to say with like true fun. Again, it's like a shared experience. So if you're really addicted to having you feel addicted quote unquote to having really great conversations with your best friend, I don't know that that's a negative thing, you know. And that's another kind of litmus test you can do for yourself is ask yourself, how are you feeling after these experiences? Are you feeling like gross afterwards? Because then it's probably wasn't true fun. True fun. In my experience and the experiences people have shared, is this very nourishing, very joyful state that gives you a hangover that feels good. It's almost just like a joy hangover, and it's something that feels really good to look back on, and that's just very different. So I think that you're totally right. Like that's another example of how we cause problems when we use the word fun itself too broadly to refer to too many different things.
Speaker 1: And you know, when it comes to loosening our inhibitions with a substance, I know, especially if we're dealing with depression or isolation or anxiety, using something to swim which our brains off in that regard, or take our amigdalahs down a notch if we can. We didn't have to do that as kids. And so many people asked about fun changing as we age. Patrons and kids or aspiring kids at heart include Chris Curius, Lauren Galio, Samantha de Holland or Caro Young, Dianna Di Pietro, Apolonia, Pina Renil Mandre, Jennifer Simon, Marico, Mary ell And Cheney, Heather Dykes, McAllen, Sarah King, Tyler Bates, and first time question askers Judy Ritchie, Olivia JM. Jojo Emerson ESSI rue Tilly's mom, Rebecca Jackson, and Grace Davis, all of whom essentially wanted to know. In dirt Witch's words, why do so many adults stop having fun in the way the kids do. I assume it's cultural, They're right, But is it. Have you noticed any difference of how kids are able to turn off their inhibitions more quickly versus adults, or does fun change when we get older? Are people in their seventies having the most fun? Where's your peak?
Speaker 3: I don't think there's a general peak to fun, although I will say I think it's not that kids are good at turning off their inhibitions, They just don't have them yet. Their inner critics have not yet found their voices right, Like, that's so. I think that that's very true. But I think the rest of us is really just more about whether or not we are able to silence that inner critic, Like can we be kind to ourselves? I mean, it gets deep pretty fast, because if you are constantly criticizing yourself, then you won't be able to let go. There's an element of vulnerability in fun that I think is really fascinating, because to be playful you have to be a little bit vulnerable because you're letting down your guard. But I also think really important tying together a couple things we're talking about is that when we talk about like substances or the role that these things play and fun, I think that actually speaks to another misconception we have, which is we tend to focus on that type of memory as being quote unquote fun, like the crazy wedding party or whatever, and not recognize that fun happens in quieter ways all the time. You're probably having moments of playful, connected flow sprinkled throughout your day, which means you're having fun in little doses throughout your day, and those moments count like it's just a different type of fun, if that makes any sense. And I think that's so important because people tend to think, oh, wait, no, no, no, I don't want to go and get drunk and like go to this party. But if you're able to like sprinkle on a little bit of playfulness to your workday and have like a connection with a colleague you know, or chat with a stranger for a couple of minutes and you both share a laugh, like that counts. It's not going to be necessarily something you remember when you're eighty five years old, But the accumulation counts, and I think it's essential we pay attention to those small moments because then they matter to us. Like, if you ask me right now, hey, Catherine, can you reflect on, like some stressful moments from your past week. I'm quite sure I could give you ten things that cause me anxiety or stress in the past week. But can I do that as easily if you're like, can you tell me like ten moments where you had a little bit of fun? I mean, I can probably do it better than most people at this point, but most of us it'd be hard because we're not paying attention to it. It's not on our radars. So I just say that because I don't want people to This is a misperception we have that it's like the drunken party is fun, and that's the case.
Speaker 1: Very quick aside, one high point of fun this week for me was being at arrest stop charging our electric car and noticing a small white pill on the ground, flipping it over with a leaf, and then googling white pill round our twenty and realizing it was the generic form of viagra, and then finding another one and another, and another, and another and another, like confetti scattered over this twenty foot radius, fifty of them. I needed to know the mystery. How did they arrive in this parking lot in Chowchilla, California?
Speaker 2: What were they doing there? They were everywhere.
Speaker 1: Just a side note, never pick up drugs from the road bare handed. Never do it. It was a rookie mistake, but I knew what they were. I washed my hands right after. Don't ever do it. Don't ever do it. But yes, that little whimsical mystery on a long road trip was some welcome, free fun. I'll tell you more about it later. But we did not keep the pills. We have limits.
Speaker 3: You know, little things can be fun and quieter interactions a much better indicator than this kind of like alcohol fueled fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Like my friend Simone loves to do puzzles together, and I'm like, yeah, that is fun because we're like in a flow state. We're doing something together, we're talking while we're doing it, and we're solving problems. And it's funny how those things that you wouldn't think would be like a blast, like doing a puzzle with a good friend can be more fun than a big party or a bender or something you know exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's also interesting if you think about, like, is the puzzle itself the fun I would argue, No, it's the structure that's giving you, guys something to do with a goal and with your hands and like keeping your brains kind of occupied. But you're able to then banter with each other and joke around or have a conversation or whatever else. You know, So again it's not necessarily the activity. Like I personally am not drawn to puzzles. But a couple of weeks ago, I was on a trip with my mom and I know she likes to puzzle, and I was like, I want to do that with her, and it was actually really fun. And it's not because we were trying to piece together you know, a scene of cottages with like little girls and bonnets, satisfying, But the fun bar was getting to actually interact with my mom and have a shared experience.
Speaker 2: M hm. It's always there's always a cottage.
Speaker 3: There's always a cottage.
Speaker 1: There's always a cottage, and clos and the clouds so satisfying.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well, a bunch of people had questions about animals. Some of you wanted to know about animals, including Shelby Reard and Lindsay Bartholomew, Rebecca Fitchett, Ashley Adare, Leah La Sarte, Ewen Munroe, Chicken Chomper, Farren, Genevieve, Jellybean Rowland, Richard Klaire, Mower's poodle, Prince Asan, Deborah Gray, Emilee Krieger, Gorius of Tomsk, Deanna sterrez Nick, Dean Quincy, j Byrne, kJ Rick, d Mass, Paxen, Aaron and first time question Oscars Ruben, Kimberly Hellerin and Shannon Bartels And like Kitlin Bishop, first time question Oscar one to know how is fun expressed in non humans? Is it something that has been studied well?
Speaker 2: Like, what can we.
Speaker 1: Learn from them? Are animals having fun or are they playing? Or is it anthropomorphizing to say that cows hopping around in a field is fun?
Speaker 3: Sounds fun? I think that we can't. We can't you know, fun is a feeling. Then we're never going to know if animals are really experiencing fun in the way that we are. But there's been more research down in play and that animals play. I found some very funny research article titles it was like fish that jump, juggle, and tease, I think was wonderful.
Speaker 1: For more on fish having a better life than you, please see the twenty fourteen study highly Repetitive object play in a cicklet fish from the Animal Behavior journal Ethology, which begins whether play occurs in fishes has long been a contentious issue, and because the researchers were here for that drama, they state that behavior patterns labeled as play are enigmatic phenomena that typically have been restricted to mammals and perhaps birds, and that claims for play in non endothermic vertebrates and invertebrates have been largely dismissed as anecdotal, anthropomorphic, or immature instincts. However, they recorded hundreds of occurrences of an unusual behavior in three male white spotted cicklet fish, which are these small black and navy blue and white flecked cuties. They're native to a deep lake in Eastern Africa, but they're commonly kept in freshwater aquaria. But the paper cites these key criteria for classifying animal behavior as play. The behavior must be not functional. It's got to be voluntary, spontaneous, or rewarding. It has to be repeated but not rigidly, and has to be initiated in the absence of severe chronic stress like disease, crowding, hunger, and predation, which I don't know how the fish feel, but personally, that's tough.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 1: It's been a rough couple of years, folks. But apparently a researcher sat and watch these fish for two hours a day while recording them, and the fish would strike this bottom weighted thermometer repeatedly, which was like a punching bag. So they'd strike it, it'd come back, and then they'd dodge it. And the study reports that the target behavior of attacking and deflecting an object that rapidly returned to its upright position not only fit the criteria for play behavior, but it differed among the different fishes. Huh.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, that's fascinating. But you can see that in the dog park, right, Like, first of all, there's a thing called a playbow. Like dogs do a play bow when they put their butts up in the air and wag their tails. That's their indication that they're non threatening and they're ready to play, which I think is interesting, Like, what's our equivalent of a play bow? I don't think we should stick our butts up in the air and wiggle, but like, what is the human equivalent? And I would say it's a friendly smile, not f looking down at your phone, like making a comment that kind of I don't know, makes it clear that you're willing to be playful, like in your conversation. But for dogs, like that's clearly what they're doing and you can see there's no question that dogs are playing together. I mean, we can ask what's the point of play? And that's a whole area of academic debate. I personally, if I were just to hypothesize, I think part of the reason that animals play is the same that we do, which is it feels good. But yeah, there is a fair amount of research on animals in play, but not fun.
Speaker 1: It is funny too, because a lot of my memories of fun are or you know, playing around with my dog or being in the park watching her have fun and chasing her around. It is funny in that case that shared experience of trying to play fetch with a dog that does not comprehend it, or watching her chase squirrels that is contagious.
Speaker 2: I think it is interesting.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think it's really interesting too in terms of what the human animal connection is because a lot of people mention dogs to me, i'd be curious about listeners feedback did not get as many, if any stories about cats, which stereotypically makes sense. But I mean, I have a dog myself who also dances, not understand catch, but I would say, like, I get that. I think there's some element of the dogs are making eye contact with us, they've been bred to socialize with humans that clearly they have a body signal the playbow that indicates what their state of mind is in that regard. And also when you're around a dog, you're not really that self conscious, right, So that actually is a way for many people to let down their guard. You don't feel judged by your pet. And so I think there's real legitimacy to the idea that a lot of people report having real fun experiences with their dogs. In some cases, I guess other animals.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's like a few cat folks out there that are like.
Speaker 3: What, wellimental, but yeah, like with the laser, I mean, yeah, for sure, I think that's true. It's interesting to reflect, Yeah, it's interesting to be like, oh, does that feel fun to you? If it does feel that's the other great thing. If it feels fun to you, then it was fun because you're the person experiencing this. But then you can say, like, why was that fun? Why did I have fun with my cat? Just now? Like what was it about that interaction? And maybe could you apply that to some human interactions.
Speaker 1: I don't know, cat folks, I may be allergic, but I see you and I love you. And doctor Michael Delgado is a philinologist, and of course we have an episode with her that you will love your cat. Children are gonna love it even more. Speaking of children, Patron's Hope, Lizzie Martinez learned taraka Oliver Callous and Liz had similar questions. You've got a nine year old, what about childhood development? Like Katrina Rene asked, any recommendations on how to tap into your fun, playful side. If you're a person who maybe didn't get to experience much of it as a kid, If you don't associate your chilhood with a lot of play or fun, how do you know when you're having it?
Speaker 3: I think that's a common challenge I hear from a lot of people is that, you know, a lot of people have very difficult childhoods where they weren't allowed to let go and they were you know, experiencing trauma, or they were put into positions of responsibility that were not appropriate for their age. I mean, both of my parents come from situations like that. I've heard from both of them that one of the things they enjoyed about parenting themselves is they felt like they could re experience their childhoods through me. I'm an only child, so I do think there's something to that, is that if you are one of those people who had a really challenging childhood and you do have a child of your own, is there a way to follow their lead? Because children often are naturally playful, and they are in flow a lot of the time, and they want to connect with us, So is there a way to kind of meet them on their grounds and kind of let them take the lead. And then also, I found one thing that is helpful for people then this is true if you've got a kid, but you can do it just for other people in your life. Is if it's hard for you to figure out what would feel fun or nourishing for you, what can you do for other people in your life to give them that experience to do something together that you think would be kind of a gift to them, because that, for some reason is easier for a lot of people to brainstorm, but still results in this feeling of a special shared experience that often leads to fun.
Speaker 2: So it's really sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah to such, you know, like, how can you create delight for somebody? Like how can you just surprise them with something and take it from there and don't put pressure on yourself, you know, Like I think a lot of us are out of practice with fun if we ever were in practice with it, and we're just trying to like train ourselves to focus a bit more on positive stuff because their brains are naturally going to focus on the negative stuff. Give ourselves permission to enjoy our lives. Like, you're not an irresponsible person if you prioritize fun, and if you really feel yourself like pushing back against that, then maybe you're someone who can start to, you know, focus on creating fun for other people. But just the idea that the world has tough problems to solve is not incompatible with the idea that we should prioritize playful, connected flow, And I would argue that when we have fun with other people people, it actually erases our differences, many of the differences that cause the conflicts in the first place. Like, if you're truly having fun with someone, you're not going to see them as a political party or like a nationality or religion. And if you can erase those differences, even for a moment, it's going to make it easier to find common ground to work together. So I actually think it's a very powerful force for good.
Speaker 1: It's funny that we think that the more we hunker down and deprive ourselves of good things, the more that helps the world.
Speaker 3: But who is doom scrolling helping?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have to ask myself that question. I'm like, you're just reading the same news article again, Like, no, this is not helping solve anything. Social media, if you're ranting on social media or reading other people's rants, not solving any problems. Like, if you go out and have fun with somebody else, you are making a bigger difference in the world, even if it's someone you already know. You've created a little bit of joy, and you've experienced a bit of joy and like that can grow. For me, it was an interesting kind of like tweaking of my own thoughts to be like, who am I actually helping to stay on my couch?
Speaker 4: Oh body please?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, that's not to say that you shouldn't spend your efforts online spreading the word on atrocities, mobilizing folks to vote or attend protests, or organize mutual aid, or become educated on the many terrible things that are affecting our planet and our species and other species. For more on this, also, you can please see the recent Genis Ideology episode, which is neither fun nor happy, but it's very important on the topic of fun versus happy. Many of you, including Nicole s kanne Ghani, bobonni Well's how Kara Young and Bob Boberson wanted to know? Oh in this voice note from a patron, Hi.
Speaker 5: Ali, I'm Roman regular from Brooklyn. There is fun, and there's joy, and there is happiness. And although in quick glance they seem to flow into one another, it's possible to have them at any combination or lack thereof. What's actually different in the brain between the three or are there different chemicals involved?
Speaker 1: A few different people wanted to know do you have to be happy to have fun or vice versa? And what's the difference between fun and happiness?
Speaker 3: Well, this is something I was thinking about a lot, actually, because we obviously all want to be happy and a couple things. One thing I like about fun is to me, it feels more concrete than happiness, by which I mean like, if I asked you, did you have fun last weekend? You probably could answer that more easily than if I said are you a happy person?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Happiness is much more philosophical. There's something more concrete about fun. And then I would also say I noticed in myself and then in all the stories people shared with me, that fun is a happy state. No one was like, I had so much fun doing blot and I was miserable. It's not the case even if they might have had a very challenging life, or they might have been depressed in general, or you know, suffering in some way, in that particular moment, they were happy. And so that has made me personally think that to be happier, one way to achieve that is to focus less on happiness per se and more on having moments of everyday fun. But if you're like, Okay, I'm going to take this step further. I'm going to figure out more ways to incorporate little moments of playfulness or connect or flow into my day. And if you do that over time, I truly believe you will end up happier. Without directly aiming at that happiness goal, because I think it's too much pressure. And I'd also say a point that a friend of mine who's a psychiatrist made is that you know a lot of people are like, well, if you're really depressed, you're not going to have the energy to even try this. You're not going to be able to get off your couch, which may be true. The flip side is that it's also possible that you're depressed and anxious because you're not having enough fun or not doing enough of the things that you enjoy that bring you joy. Like there's obviously situations in which depression or anxiety or some other challenge like requires therapeutic intervention and possibly medication, et cetera. But it's also interesting to reflect that we might think that we can't have fun or we can't do things that bring us joy because we're depressed and anxious. But it might also be true that we're depressed and anxious specifically because we're not prioritizing and not putting energy into pursuing the things that are fun to us or bring us joy, so worth considering. I thought that was an interesting point raised by a psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: And for more unhappiness in general, you can see the Terminology episodes with doctor Lori Santos, who teaches courses on happiness at Yale, and that episode covers everything from mindfulness meditation to a happiness questionnaire you can take to a paper on do it yourself fecal transplants enjoy. Average Pie wanted to know why are empty boxes more fun to play with than toys?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I was encountering that question this morning with my daughter because we were sitting on the step outside and there's this big box from a toaster oven. She's like, why can't I have that box? And we actually have an empty box collection in our basement and for her birthday one year, she actually asked this so funny, she asked her friends for boxes for her birthday. And can you imagine the delight of parents when they brought us all their empty Amazon boxes and our despair it's because there's creative opportunities. It's not a prescribed outcome. I think that's why it invites creativity and imagination in a way that I, as an adult, have lost, but my daughter maintains.
Speaker 1: That reminds me one of my most fun memories I have as a kid is building a giant robot out of boxes in the garage with my sisters.
Speaker 3: I think it's an important point though for parents, because we think, like, if we're going to help our kids have fun, we need to give them super structured activities or like toys. But kids can do so much with empty boxes and with free play, and that's actually so important for development. I mean, it's so important and it's enjoyable, but like, give them the boxes and let them just make stuff.
Speaker 1: On this note, Casey Daegall and Jemma wanted to know, in Jema's world, how has capitalism affected how we have fun and what we consider fun? And have there ever been any fun promoting campaigns led by a government organization where they're like, let's advocate for more fun. Do you think that there's something cultural that has shifted?
Speaker 3: Oh man, this is a kind of bigger answer, but like we've been trained to associate time with money, and so anything that we spend time on that doesn't result in money, we categorize as a waste of time. And so I think that that's one reason that fun can feel frivolous is that you don't make money necessarily when you're having fun. Although you could have fun at your job, but not necessarily, so it feels like it must be a waste. But I think the other misconception is we often think that you have to have a lot of money to have fun, because you have to have the money to go skiing or take the private yacht or I don't know whatever else people have, Like there're stereotypical ideas of that, but that's not the case. Like, sure, I think money can help you have experiences that might lead to fun, but you don't need to be rich. You don't need to have a lot of money to have fun. And you can see that around the world where you look at people who are quote unquote less privileged or whatever you want to call it, who actually seem like they're having a ton of fun. And then you look at these like super stressed out, very rich Americans who are essentially just like working harder and harder and harder. They can have more money, presumably to spend on fun stuff, but they're not doing that because they're just working so hard to get money to you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And again surprising to absolutely know on is that global happiness rates drop when basic needs aren't met. And the study of happiness it's not phonology, but it's related. And in fact, the UN has been tracking rates of happiness since twenty twelve to help them inform policy, and they collect self reported rates that focus on these six main factors social support, average income, a healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and the absence of corruption. And for the first time in twelve years, this year their data showed among millennials, evaluation of one's own life drops with each year of age, while among boomer's life satisfaction increases with age.
Speaker 2: Well, that is not fun.
Speaker 1: The good news, I guess is that millennials and younger scored higher in the generosity scale. And apparently a lot of people do ask Google what is the most enjoying country in the world, and the answer is Finland. Finland is the most enjoying country in the world. The US dropped to twenty fifth Now. The least happy country reportedly is Afghanistan and many countries in the global South. So while fun is present in places and under conditions you may not expect and it's vital to living, it is a greater challenge when you're in survival mode of any kind. So if you are in a place where many of your physical survival needs are met, you do have a head start on figuring out what things give you more true fun and not passive or scrolling or fake and possibly consumerist fun. And Catherine elaborates.
Speaker 3: I think that, yes, there's two ways in which capitalism could negatively contribute, or the way we think about capitalism is like, yeah, the idea that if you're not getting paid for your time, it's a waste of time. And then also that you have to have a lot of money in order to have fun, which is going to make you feel like you need to work more.
Speaker 1: Ugh, that's such a gut punch.
Speaker 3: But fun is accessible to all as long as your basic needs are met and you're not in like a survival situation.
Speaker 1: And you have empty boxes, can you just order boxes on Amazon box? That's very meta, believe, And last listener question, which I thought was so beautiful and I love that this was asked, and this is why I love patrons and listeners for setting these in. But people's resistance to fun? Tanya magic Fingers asked why do people feel threatened by other people having fun? Are when asked, why is it that we look forward to something thinking will be fun, but we back out the last minute? Alice Reuben wants to know why does fun give me anxiety? Or Chelsea and her dog Phoebe want to know what about the fear that creeps up during a good time? Like will I have this fun again? And I think this was interesting. Beaverly, I asked, why do some people feel guilty when having fun sadly not asking for a friend? So when we have this resistance or anxiety around fun, where do you think that's coming from? Why don't we let ourselves seek it out more?
Speaker 3: Oh God, that's a really big question to end on. Sorry, thanks, Well, I think speaking to the person who is like, you're in the middle of a fun experience and then you find yourself being like, what if I never have this again when this ends? I had that just yesterday myself. Actually, I was in a pool with my daughter and her friend and my husband and we were all joking around. It was a beautiful day, the water was a perfect temperature. It was just like, you know, snapshot of childhood and me being me instead of enjoying it was like, oh, the nostalgia. She'll be a teenager someday, you know, and it's like, oh, thanks, thanks, brain. I don't know exactly why that happens, and just really empathizing there that it can be very hard to kind of allow yourself to just enjoy the moment and have fun and not immediately think about it's going to end and you're never going to have fun again. I think maybe that's just an element of like mindfulness and kindness to be like, oh, brain, there you go again. Thanks for that depressing thought. I'm going to choose not to pay attention to her right now and instead just add this lovely experience to my repository of past fun experiences, which she reflects later. So that's one thought.
Speaker 1: Life is short. It's also long, and it's lovely and heartbreaking and scary, and it's exciting and it's beautiful, so we might as well stop and appreciate all of the ingredients. That make up our mortal cast roles.
Speaker 3: I think when you're feeling guilty about fun very interesting. That's the way I'm saying. It can get deep very quickly, because I think it can be very difficult for many of us to give ourselves permission to enjoy our own lives, you know, in any capacity. And we were talking about that a bit a little earlier, in terms of feeling like you have a responsibility to make yourself miserable by reading the news stories or doing whatever you're doing, because if you have fun, you're not allowed to do that.
Speaker 1: So Catherine cites the twenty twelve book The Top Five Regrets of the Dying, which was written by a palliative care worker, Bronnie Ware, and two of those regrets were I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life other expected of me. And I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings, Catherine continues.
Speaker 3: And there were things like, you know, I wish I hadn't worked so hard, or I wish I'd maintained my friendships. But one of the top ones was I wish I'd let myself be happy. Oh, I think that's really important for us to keep in mind that that it wasn't. You know, Yeah, I wish I'd worked more, or I wish I'd spent more time doom scrolling the news that was not. And then the anxiety element of why people feel anxious. Sometimes you're just being forced into situations that genuinely are not going to be fun for you. And there's a feeling of pressure. And that comes from a misconception that, like what someone else finds fun, you should find fun. So I think we need to give ourselves some you know, permission not to find that fun. It's fine, you don't need to push yourself into something. Sometimes there's just an inertia though, And I think that's another thing to look into. If it's like, oh, I'm just feeling myself being resistant to fun, what's that about? Is there a childhood issue? But is it all that? Like it's harder to get off the couch than it is to just sit there and scroll, But like, maybe you should make a commitment to yourself to at least try to get off your couch next time and then see how that feels and then build upon that.
Speaker 2: And what pray tell of the haters.
Speaker 3: If someone is really a wet blanket on your fun, that probably means there's something much deeper going on for them and probably not your job to solve. But maybe you don't want to spend as much time with them, or maybe you want to carve out a way for you to do things that are fun for you that don't involve them, because it's not going to be fun if there's a wet blanket around like that critic is going to impact you and that's not what we want. Or even if you see someone else having fun and you're like, I'm not having enough fun. I want to feel that way, and the immediate reaction can be jealousy and just kind of resistance and wanting to shut them down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so interesting because before this conversation, I never would have thought of it as having those different elements and having someone be able to point out why certain times were more fun or certain activities. And it's funny, like you think about like art therapy or music therapy and you're like okay, and then you're like, oh no, that's why that works. Yeah right, that's why equine therapy works. So that's why you know, I was in a really terrible anxiety spiral for like a week, and I was convinced to go surfing, did not want to go, no interest in that, but promise someone I would. It end up getting me out of that anxiety spiral for months. And now I look back and I was like, oh, yeah, I was talking to the surfing instructor. I was in a totally present, like flow state, so you don't drown.
Speaker 2: You know, right right right, all of that.
Speaker 1: You can't be too self conscious when you're goofing around in the waves. And it's just funny because it's like, why was surfing that time so fun? And being able to scientifically say like, oh this was why, it's like, oh I can start finding that around me in other ways, you know, yes.
Speaker 3: And I also think you hit on something that when people are like, well, what's a hack or fun? Try something new with another person.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, but it's like a good idea. Yeah, try something new even if it doesn't asserally sound feeling, because you can still have fun even if it like you're like, I don't really want to go surfing again, but that particular time that was fun. I'm glad we had a shared experience. We laughed, like we were connected. I was out of my head, you know. So, yeah, do something with someone else, do something new with someone else.
Speaker 2: And what about last questions?
Speaker 1: I always ask the worst part about your job, the worst part about writing this book? What was the hardest part about writing this or about trying to find fun in your life?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, Well, I think as I was saying, it was a challenging time to write about fun because it was literally right in the beginning of Lockdown. But I think the other challenge is that I've realized that I really do enjoy I'm not necessarily a full on extrovert, but I do enjoy human interaction, and I enjoyed doing stuff out in the world with my body, and freelance writing is not really that. So I think that my challenge both with my work with how to break up with your phone fun and you know, I'm doing this sub sec newsletter how to feel alive, Like it's too much screen time, so it's tricky to live the way I want to live. But then also realize so much of a writer's life is staring at a screen. So I've been trying to kind of shift away from that which I guess is a really useful realization though. You know, it's like, can I do more stuff like podcasting or just go have more experiences to then write about instead of just staring at a computer screen all day?
Speaker 1: It also makes sense why sometimes going to a coffee shop you've never been to to write and look at the people coming in with their dogs or overhearing a conversation, like why that makes things a little bit more fun. I find that for myself at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. And I think also the hard part about writing is the isolation. And I think that was a useful takeaway from this book, is like social connection is really important for everybody, and I actually really want more of it in my own personal life and my professional life. And that actually really has led to me try to find more collaborations in more ways to you know, not just be sitting alone with my words.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Same, What about the best about being an author who got to do a deep dive in fun?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it's led to some like interestingly justifiable tax write offs, but besides, it was for fun. And look, I wrote a book about fun. No. I think it's that it's like it is cool to be like the fun lady. You know, it's like I get to think about this and I don't. I remember being at a party once with a friend and I was like, I'm getting a lot more interesting opportunities as a result of this project than I would have said i'd written a book about war. And then I looked at his face and I was like, oh God, the reason I thought about a book about war is that he wrote a book about Wooh, I am so awkward. But anyway, I think that that is It's opened my own mind. It's made me think about these things for myself. It's made me change the way I parent, it's made me change the way I live my own life. And like, that's I think, a really cool and wonderful result from a professional project. So yeah, and it's led to things like this, like this is fun, Like this conversation with you is fun. This is a fun moment of my day and that's really cool. So I'm really grateful for it.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, thanks so much. This truly was fun. I really really appreciated.
Speaker 2: Yay, we had fun.
Speaker 1: So yes, ask funny people fun questions. We are all here to learn. Now if you're intrigued about breaking up with your phone, or if you're intrigued about having more fun. There's a link to Catherine's website in the show notes, and her book on fun again is titled The Power of Fun, How to Feel Alive Again. There are also links to her social media on X and Instagram, as well as a link to our newsletter, and we have more links, including to the studies we mentioned and tour ted. Talk all up at aliward dot com, slash Ologies, slash Funology, and we are at Ologies on X and Instagram. I'm at ali Ward on both. If you ever need classroom friendly versions of ologies great news. Smologies is now its own show, available on its own feed. Find that wherever you get podcasts. You'll notice the new sage, green color and some colorful new illustrations, and that is also linked in the show notes for you, as is ologiesmerch dot com, and of course so is a link to the Patreon page at patreon dot com slash Ologies, which you can join for just a dollar a month. Aaron Talbert admins Theologies podcast Facebook group. Aveleen Malick makes the transcripts. Kelly ar Dwyer Woman's the website Noel Dilworth is our scheduling producer. Susan Hale is our all powerful managing director. Jake Chafey and Mercedes Maitland are our audio editors, and stepping in this week as lead editor. As the wonderful Mercedes was under the weather, we hope she feels better is Jared Sleeper of Mindjam Media, who is also married to me and kind enough to stay at the office a little late finishing this. He's also the funnest person I've ever meat, which is why I made our bond legally binding. Nick Thorburn wrote the theme music, And if you stick around till the end of the episode, I share with you a secret, And for that, I'm going to play you a little footage taken at that electric car charging spot, because I did leave you on a cliffhanger, and I feel like you need to know, Hey, did you.
Speaker 2: Guys drop fifty viagra?
Speaker 1: Where did you find?
Speaker 5: Them?
Speaker 1: Are all over here?
Speaker 2: Because there was a black tesla and an old man you drop something?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I did ask strangers who informed me that the older gentleman in a black tesla may.
Speaker 2: Have dropped it.
Speaker 1: If that was you, if you dropped your generic viagra and chuchilla. You definitely have my condolences. Thank you for making my night. How beautiful would it be if that person were listening? Life would just be sparkles and rainbows and dark matter cosmic connections. One can hope, one can hope. I blow you kisses. Okay, kiddos, this is your dad speaking, urging you to please go have some fun, get weird, be yourself, share a moment, even with a stranger or a lama, lose yourself.
Speaker 2: In the process. I shall go do the same orbye.
Speaker 1: Pacadermatologymology, rypdo zoology, lithology, zechnology, meteorology, of ptology, menthology, seriology, selinology. I was fun.
Speaker 5: There was fun.