Speaker 1: Welcome back to Making It. So this is episode number forty seven. On this one, we are covering Star Trek Strange New World's season four episode one, Vallas MARINERUS. I'm your host, Craig and my co host all the way from the US, Steve. Hey, you going, buddy?
Speaker 2: How are we doing?
Speaker 1: I am freezing my ass off right now. It is the coldest winter morning in Australia in Queensland that we've had so far. And it might not sound a lot to you guys where you're from, but it's only five degrees celsius here, which is that's fucking cold. It was ten degrees at the same time yesterday, so we've literally.
Speaker 2: Had the seeing is no I only deal with freedom units. I don't really know what that even means, but I do know it's hot as balls over here and I went through back right now.
Speaker 1: This season, Maddie. He's too busy with work and everything else going on in his life at the moment, so I think Steve's probably going to join us for most of this season. Not only we doing the normal podcast using just the audio medium, I'm a video recording this for the first time as well, so I might chuck it up on my YouTube, so we'll see what goes on there.
Speaker 2: It just depends on how many times I pick my nerves.
Speaker 1: I really don't care. Like I'm definitely not going to blur anything out mate, So yeah, behave anyway, so you can hear that nicely. Steva here clear as David excellent. All right, So spoilers. This is going to be a heavy spoiler chat for season four, episode one of Star Trek Strange New Worlds Vallas Marinerus. If you haven't seen the episode and you don't want to be spoiled, just to pause this podcast right now and go away and watch the episode. If you don't mind being spoiled, Yeah, come listen, you know, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and I'm going to spoil my teake on it. Go and watch it, Go and watch it.
Speaker 1: Well before were we actually start talking about it too much. Let's get into the synopsis and I'm going to read the synopsis off of Prime Video here in Australia. It says Pike leads the crew into a stellar storm, which sends the Enterprise back sixty five million years to the time of the dinosaurs. The crew must find their way home before their actions affect the past. And change the distant future. Okay, I deliberately made sure that I didn't read the synopsis before the episode. I didn't even read the name of the episode, jam, But I got curious once I did sort of turn it on, and I'm like, what is Valus Marinerus? And then obviously they sort of spoke about it throughout the episode. But the Valas Marinerus is the largest canyon system in the Solar System. It stretches over four thousand kilometers or for Steve two five hundred miles. It's up to six hundred kilometers wide or three hundred and seventy miles, and up to seven kilometers or twenty three thousand feet deep. It's located along the marsh and Equator and is roughly ten times longer and five times deeper than Earth's Grand Canyon, all right, and just massive. Yeah. They've got a picture of it here that I'm looking at on the Google and it's got a map of the US superposed over it, and it's actually longer than the US is wide. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been to the Grand Canyon and that is something to behold. But they can only imagine what that would look like.
Speaker 1: It's like a massive scar on the surface of Mars. So as we get through, we'll.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so the season or this sorry, this episode opens up with a season recap, and I guess the biggest thing from the recap Captain Bettel, you know, Captain Pike's girlprind Gone, you know, and spoken la they're sort of a they're a thing to use. What a twenty twenty six sort of thing. They're in a situationship? I guess are they still yeah? Yeah, well they definitely got something going on. We'll The episode itself opens on the surface of a planet, and I didn't really catch the name of the planet. With Pike, Laan and then Benga riding horses, it was. It was a pretty cool looking planet. It was very desert like but rusty looking. It's sort of it reminded me of like some of the Old West in the US.
Speaker 2: Yes, the thing, Yeah, that's what the vibe I got off it right away. Did you we doing like a.
Speaker 1: Hollow deck or is this did you not? Laan was carrying a six shooter on her hip as well. It wasn't a phaser, it was a six.
Speaker 2: Shoot that's something you pointed out. But like I did not notice that at all. But what I was saying before is I did notice that there was that she had like a bullet belt on whatever that might be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I noticed in one of the behind the scenes photos as well, you could quite clearly see that it was a revolver on her hip, which is cool core that was carrying a phaser pistol. That was really from them. They went for the whole aesthetic, they really did. I have a really, I have a question, all right, So that they beamed up to the Enterprise, what happened to the horse? Where the horses?
Speaker 2: Though you've never heard of the USS Enterprise steeble Master, Well, I'm thin the horses back that's the cargo B three.
Speaker 1: I'm actually wondering if they were horses that were on the Enterprise and they did beam them up into like a cargo bay or something like that, or if they just left them on the planet.
Speaker 2: And that just pipped into my hand to that maybe they would just clumbered while they were at the planet or acquired they were at the planet and they're just being themselves back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, they were there for a was it to hand out some vaccines to some locals on the planet. Now they didn't say if they it was a human colony or not that I picked up or not. Now I didn't heal either, you know, but it was interesting that Pike did take his own saddle, and they did look like they were Earth type horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were like the horses from Revenge. Was it that Revenge of the Jetto or whatever it was the newest one. Yeah, you know what I mean. They have the space horses that were working on the ship with sticks, legs or whatever they were.
Speaker 1: I thought it was cool though, and it obviously goes all the way back to the very first episode of Ye ob there and Pike loves his horses, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I did like that callback. I noticed that rode away.
Speaker 1: I say, now, the saddlers in just about every episode, if not every episode.
Speaker 2: Because it's hinge on his wall, right, Oh, it sits in his ready room. That's what it was a conference room because it seems.
Speaker 1: To double us both Spock meets them in the transporter room and he's actually not there to meet the captain. He's there to meet la arm So and you don't don't agree or no, no, it's out yeah, so he Yeah, they're they're definitely still a thing, and she invites him back to her quarters to help her take her boots off because it's rather difficulked.
Speaker 2: Apparently, sometimes you need to help taking your boots after you in a while, you.
Speaker 1: Just taking your jacket off, taking your underwear off, like I don't know if you've ever been around horse people, Steve, but they kind of have a horse smell. So yeah, I don't know. I grew up next to one. Actually that in a donkey.
Speaker 2: They have a couple of pitbulls, some chickens, an interesting little little spot in the middle of the suburbia.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to say it right now. I'm probably need to shower before her and spot get down with anything, especially with his vulcan nose. You would take your smell on like that, to have.
Speaker 2: A sip of my Earl Gray tee that I've got going on here, Earl Gray hot it is, except it's milk, and get my New York American Ferotogla water.
Speaker 1: Just a nice big blue bottle of water. Okay. So next we go back to Pike's ready room and UNA's in there with Pike, and she's talking about how busy they have been in the last six months, so essentially it's been six months since Marie Bttel has died by the sounds of it, and Pike has been keeping himself distracted by keeping the Enterprise busy with missions. Now is that fair to the crew? Probably not. And UNA's basically saying that they need a break because it's just it's been too busy. Yeah, yeah, she's She is also asking that maybe she could do an away mission at some point as well, because as much as she loves commanding the Enterprise, while he's down doing away missions. Like, realistically, as we know, the captain should be really staying on the ship and the number one should be off doing the away missions.
Speaker 2: But as we've seen through our Star Trek, that's number the case. The full complement of officers goes down to the planet at all times. It's the wild I'll never understand that. Let's say that science officer, I'm medical chief and medical like everybody just.
Speaker 1: You know, the whole senior stuff. Yeah people every night. Yeah, Admiral April comes to visit as well, and he's talking to Captain Pike about promotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, Chris really doesn't want it. He wants to stay on the Enterprise, and I don't blame him, Like, you know, even Kirk he wanted to stay on the Enterprise. Picard he wanted to stay on the Enterprise. Everybody stays longer than they probably should, and I don't blame them, because you know, who wants an office job at the end of the day, especially if you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're going to you're going to miss that action one hundred per especially with dealing it on a daily basis as well, because you're going to be coordinating with other captains and seeing what they're doing on field. So he's going to miss it every day if he does that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when I was in the Army, I avoided promotion for quite a while so I could still continue being a frontline soldier. But yeah, I still ended up in an office at the end.
Speaker 2: Anybody took a little bit longer, though, definitely did take a bit longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Pike gets his next mission the next mission. Yeah, this is basically what sets us up for the whole episode. So, yeah, or tagus. She's talking to her about Scottie putting alarms on her console because as we know, Erica likes to push the ship quite hard. As she's piloting and probably goes past the design parameters of the ship, and Scotty's trying to protect the ship as a good engineer and it's really not like that now.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, so obviously this is a little combat to when he was more cautious, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, she's having a bit of a complaint about that. Hourah is distracted in that conversation because they've got a new staff leet cadet from the Academy on board, like when she first came on board, and she's going to be mentoring her. Now, this is a young Vulcan lady. I didn't catch her name, but I did not either, And she seems rude, this vulcan. Like is it that she's very rude or is it that the writers just don't understand how to write a Vulcan. I mean, you've seen it.
Speaker 2: I think a numerous amounts of different Vulcans and how they interact with humans throughout the different shows, and I think that's pretty much on power for most one hundred Vulcans with no mixed blood, you know what I mean, even to.
Speaker 1: Like to stand up.
Speaker 2: She seems very Maybe she's like the like to begin with, she to be mean, but maybe she's the Asperger's the Fulcan because she seemed very very focused on whatever whatever she was focused on, which was nothing to do with anybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was very very abrasive this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So her had been practicing her Vulcan with Spock, but then apparently she was terrible at it and she had a very bad accent, and the cadet asked her not to speak Vulcan's good. Yeah, it was like for a cadet to be speaking to a commissioned officer that way. I thought it was like, coming from my military background and everything, I was like, oh damn, that's really pushing it.
Speaker 2: Well, so one thing with the whole house, how she acts, Yeah, but how she reacted to it. I said, you know, she is definitely Vulcan, but at the same time, you would think that somebody who's progressed that far in either the Vulcan Science Academy, which I think she was rejected from. I think she said at one point or the starts with the academy that she would know normal mannerisms and normal social you know, cues from humans because she was just trying obviously to be nice and connect with her. But she didn't get that one, not like not at all, which was kind of odd.
Speaker 1: Actually, No, I suppose yeah, coming from a different culture, like she doesn't understand humans and she doesn't understand how we react to things, and so she's this is probably her first like real interaction with humans apart from it, like she would.
Speaker 2: Have had you, Well, that's what I mean though, Yeah, I feel like she would have had that a little bit more interactions. And if she's reached that level of intellect and in where she's at in her career, you'd think that that that one thing as simple as they could gesture from somebody that should be able to understand. I know, Vulcans don't really deal with emotions, and they are definitely a different species, but they definitely understand emotions, I guess to a point.
Speaker 1: Do you remember in the I don't know if you actually watched this when Tallinn came over to the Critos in lower Decks she came straight from a Vulcan ship. She wasn't even that abrasive, and she'd comes straight from working on a Vulcan ship, where she'd come out of the Vulcan science Academy, and so she hadn't had a lot to do with humans.
Speaker 2: And she was like, she wasn't part of Star a Fleet at all.
Speaker 1: So she was on like a exchange program essentially. But she's what I mean, she was wearing a Starfleet uniform. But yeah, she she came over directly from a Vulcan ship. Yeah, I've never.
Speaker 2: Seen the show, as you know. So yeah, I've tried. I've tried, but yet Steve and I are somehow still friends.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. Okay, So they go on the mission that am April sent them on, and there is a Category ten interstellar squall. It's not a very common thing, but Pellia interestingly, she says that she saw one a long time ago ago from a phone box. Now that is definitely what did she say? She said that she's seen one a long time ago from a phone.
Speaker 2: Box colon blocks but a phone booth, phone booths. Yeah, so that is definitely a Doctor Who reference. Okay, okay, so there is somebody on the writing staff for this show that is a massive Doctor Who fan. Not only have we seen we've seen the phone the police phone box from Doctor Who last season. Very quickly, Yeah, Pellia has mentioned a couple of Doctor Who things a couple of times, so, and apparently early on in Star Trek they were trying to do a crossover between Doctor Who and Star Trek, but it never happened because of different studios and different countries and all that sort of stuff. So, yeah, but they say they're a shared universe. That's what they claim, at least a pseudo shared universe like non Cannon.
Speaker 1: It could work, it could work good. But when she did say that, Pike's face was like a little bit of like, what are you talking about? Confusion? It was pretty funny. So apparently this squawl is around a star and there's no they've got no idea why Ryan, but Spock is very concerned about the ship being destroyed if they get too close to it, so her she picks up a calm signal from inside the storm with a may day. So obviously, as the Enterprise does, and Pike orders Erica take us in so you know, we can try and help. Essentially, this next part is the one part that really really annoyed me about this episode, and it's unnecessary and it reminds me of that terrible Stargate origin. The scene where they spin the camera around as the ship was spiraling into this storm. The camera is just spinning around and around and around, and.
Speaker 2: Like, why, terrible choice, terrible choice with a show full of beautiful film work or you know, film whatever you want to go, film work, animation, c G.
Speaker 1: I that was so bad, Like the director of episode, Chris Fisher, like, bro, come on, like they just do that to us. It didn't need to happen, mate, But I guess it was a choice. It was a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was just where I really got into the episode. By the way, this right after this is where I started going because I had my my my my walls up and my my barriers up because I really loved last season what was season before? So I've been kind of cautious on this, and that's just where I felt like completely into the show when I was one one hundred gig.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, last season, didn't They blame last season on like the right strike and you know how they didn't have a lot of time or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it happened still there, It definitely happened. There's a lot of bad choices in my opinion, but and I just some people love it, but I just hard know the hardest of No.
Speaker 1: I have heard that this is the worst of the first six episodes of the season, and I'm like, if that is, If this is the worst of the first six episodes, I'm pretty impressed. So like, well, well we'll see. But Erica tries to reverse them out of this space storm thing, but the Enterprise gets caught and sucked in. So when they get sucked in, it like cuts for a second, and then we go back to the Enterprise and life support is the only thing that's working essentially, so they've got no weapons, no shields.
Speaker 2: And the ship is still spinning, just we're not seeing it through the camera. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So according to Scotty, they've lost their iridium, so they can't relight the warp Corps. So is that something we've heard before that we need a ridiom to relight the warp Corps.
Speaker 2: I was kind of curious about how they last it. I didn't really understand that part or what happened to make them lose power during that storm. Did their systems get fried? Like I didn't understand that part.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, like the systems get fried, yep, cool, But yeah, why is there a ridium all gone like somehow did the storm suck it out or like yeah that's what made me Yeah, okay cool, But yeah, I've never heard that we need iridium to you know, ignite the warp corps or ignite the warp engines at least.
Speaker 2: So meanwhile, we got hardcore TRACKI fans, But this has been established since the original series.
Speaker 1: Book or something somewhere. They can't determine where they are, so in the universe or in the galaxy, they've got no idea at this point, like they've been sucked into this storm and they've got no idea where they are. However, they can detect iridium on the nearest planet to them, am like okay, all right, well that's quite convenient that they've got some very close to where they they are. So they decide that Uner is going to take a shuttle mission down and she takes Lan and Erica with her. Anyway, they go down to this planet on the shuttle. Now, when they open up the side of the shuttle to get out, it puts out this little i'm gonna call it a little ramp bridge thing that goes onto the cell on the shuttle. But it's like there's like a part on the cell that opens up as well, so the bridge can go across onto it. It's I actually didn't mind it. I didn't mind it either, but it was I don't know, I've not seen that before, But why wouldn't you make it so the door was just a little bit higher so it didn't need to do or the.
Speaker 2: Door was on the back of the ship where there's no engine.
Speaker 1: It's got a ramp on the back, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, usually I want to say the shuttle pudged from that era where they released from the back. I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I knew the door on the side, but yeah, it was interesting anyway. I liked it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was smooth. I thought it was it wasn't. It didn't like interfere with the n cell, so I knew. I knew that was going to be. Like people will be like, good, what the hell's going on there? But it doesn't interfere with the ntelle though.
Speaker 1: It was something I wasn't expecting. Like not that it's bad at all, it was just different, and it seems like a different It seems like a redundant thing to have.
Speaker 2: Like you just I think they wanted something cool, if like for the ship and it'sthetically pleasing for them to get out of it or just you know, new technology whatever, and they decided to go with that. I didn't hate it, but like you're saying, unnecessary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I've said this all the way along with this new Trek like strange New Worlds Discovery, and that the visuals in this show absolutely stunning. They the CGI that in the ar wall thing that they use, it is all on point now on this planet, like we could see volcanoes and it looked stunning like New World to the CGI team, well done, like absolutely, Like even the planet where they were riding the horses around earlier, like that was cool as well, Like somehow there's on that planet where the horses were, there was like floating rock formations. So I'm not sure how the gravity works on that particular planet. But on this planet, which you know, obviously we're talking spoilers here, we end up pointing out that this planet that they're on now is Earth. But yeah, so Lar detects a large life sign ahead of them, and it's in between them and where the iridium is and apparently there's no way around now there's an entire planet there. How is there no way around? Like if they'd have said that the exact thing, there's no fast way around. They denied how to deal with the data store at all, Like t rex in there, let's not deal with a t rex, Sally. It was so weird, like, oh, he's the only way on the entire player that we go is right there. We have to knock him out, that's what Yeah, okay, yeah, Lane, She tries to stun the dinosaur.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which yeh, as we say, is a t rex. Now I knew that by seeing the ass of it, by the way my fault the tail and the like the backside of it when he was ripping something at a part, But I knew it was a t rex. I'm like, well, what else can that be? It's going to be like a t rex or something. I just think that my head.
Speaker 1: Where I was like, is this Earth?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? I really didn't started thinking that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this point, they have not figured out that it is Earth exactly. Some of the people watching it may have like I didn't figure it out at this point, but then when I actually saw the dinosaur, I was like, that is absolutely a t Rex. Like, so Erica and Scotty have got some massive bands. Are things going on? Do you think they're setting up some sort of a relationship here, like you know, like they're always they're like arguing with each other all the time.
Speaker 2: I think, I think all these characters, I think the characters that may interact with Scotti is what shapes him to who he is and what we see in the original series, because the Scarti that we see now we've seen glimpses of what you know discardis that we know. But he's definitely more refrained and more by the book, So I think he changes as time goes on. So maybe it's just like a character challenge. But I don't really see relationship wise, But.
Speaker 1: At this point he seems like a little bit.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what I'm getting at, Like he seems kind of like refrained or or just by the book, he doesn't want anything bad to happen by any means necessary. By adding blinking like light blinking lights to every kind of fail safe in the freaking and the ship or any kind of indicator, it's it's it's it's odd, definitely, And he's so far you're at this point, Appellier is still the chief engineer of the Enterprise.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's there's definitely something I can never understand. By the way, really I can't understand.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't do it. I can't understand it. I try. I put the subtable.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm still wondering if they are trying to set up some sort of a relationship between these two, like maybe we're leading into this season where they have like a one night stand or something. Who knows, they're both the same rank, so it wouldn't be a problem that way. But anyway, the Enterprise is grabbed in some sort of I'm going to call it a tractor beam, but it's not exactly a tractor beam as we would know, but some sort of rule. Yeah, another electrical holder. Yeah, well, wouldn't attractor beam be some sort of an electrical holder anyway? It looked like a lot of light, yeah, true. Hold. Yeah, anyway, this is where we actually get the opening credits for the show, and we are fifteen minutes and forty five seconds in.
Speaker 2: I love that it was such.
Speaker 1: A massive, like opening part before the credits. It's probably the longest we've had in Strange New Worlds. Well, I could be wrong on that, but it's the longest in my.
Speaker 2: Memory anyway, So you know what, just that whole build up that fifteen minutes there and then for them, because you know, it's it's been a minute since the show has been on since season three or whatever, going into the opening, which I absolutely love. I love the opening of the show. I loved the song, I love the score, I love the visuals of it all. It got me right back into it, and it got me kind of pumped up in the middle of the show, you know what I mean, Like it was like boom right into the right into the opening, and I'm like I almost swore right there trying not to.
Speaker 1: How good is the opening? I love it. I love it is.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, and I love I love all the openings, even the show is I don't well maybe not the sad track Academy, but I love even in even Discovery, I don't mind the opening to it. And you know how I feel about the enterprise.
Speaker 1: So they this is probably my favorite opening music of any of the Star Trek shows. It really is. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: Something hits me different with this with these three particular the next Generation, Deep Space nine and Voyager. Something hits me deep with those, I just nothing can compare to those in my in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Look, this is gonna be I even loved the opening stuff for Enterprise and hate me for it people, but yeah, I even liked that.
Speaker 2: I really loved it actually, and I didn't know everybody hated it because I came in, like I'm a huge sciphier, but as craignis, I came into Star Trek later and like, I just watched them all on my own without any connection to any fandom. So when I when I found out that everybody didn't want that phone, it's like, man, I fucking sing along do and.
Speaker 1: Every time it comes on, I'm bumped here and every time, And I honestly think it's more people these days complaining about it because like when we watched it very early, when I watched it, at least, it was very early internet days, so there wasn't so many like message boards and YouTube videos and stuff for people complaining about this blugs. It wasn't even podcasts and things for people to have a wind about them. But blugs were big. The blugs were big. They were big during the whole opening title sequence of the show here. I think they've changed a couple of little things in there. Did you notice there was one part where it was sort of black and white and it looked like there was an old school like blimp and things.
Speaker 2: I thought it's so city at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there was. I noticed that brown. I think it's what Starbase one I think they call it. With the ships towards the end there, I think there's a couple of new ships in there as well, and they might have moved a couple of things around, but there were I think there's a little a couple of little things in there that are hinting towards what we're going to see in the rest of the season. So and like I said earlier, I haven't looked at the names of the titles of any of the episodes of the season yet. I haven't looked at into what any of the episodes are supposed to be about, which is.
Speaker 2: Great because I really I don't want trailers or anything when it comes to a show of it in a franchise that I'm like, he does my bottle that I'm super invested in, I don't touch anything to do with it until it actually comes out and then I just gd like dive right into it.
Speaker 1: You know. I also noticed it said the Anson Mount is now an executive producer, Like was he an executive producer before? I didn't think he was now.
Speaker 2: But as we know before, like so many of these actors that have been on Star Trek have taken on you know, producing, riting, you know what I mean, even in Stargate. You know, it was a man it's happening, you know. Obviously did a bunch of episodes too there before she took over to Sanctuary as well.
Speaker 1: So Chris Judge wrote a couple episodes and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. That's huge with Star Trek. Actually a lot of the actors of I mean, Jonathan Frakes being the number one, like he still doesn't.
Speaker 1: Speaking of hashtag safetargate, come on, Like I have been posting NonStop on my geek Can Camo account on Instagram like save Stargate, Like it's it's been brilliant looking at all of Amazon MGM's posts on Facebook and Instagram and stuff like that. That's just full of save Stargate from all the fans, like hair like and not save it at this point is beyond me.
Speaker 2: You know, it's frustrating, Craig. It's just that all us Star Trek fans are obviously stands of all different kinds of sci fi, whether it's bad one five, which you know is huge to me, it's as well as Stargate. It's so frustrating to know that like shows like like franchises like Stargate have the backing, but Stargate won't, even though it's it's it's re showed or four shows at this point, multiple movies, a massive fan base. You know, one of their shows lasted ten years. I can't believe they would even announce it and then cancel it again. Regardless, we can go on about that forever, but it's very inferior. It's disappointing.
Speaker 1: Well, Steve and I might have to have another chat about that my owner channel, because there's this going out on the Get into Geek channel with our friends from the Get into Gate. But all right, so the Enterprise is still in that tractor beam. I'm just gonna call it a tractor beam, and apparently the Universal Translator is still working, so they can't get out of this tractor beam. So Pike is like, well, let's try and talk to them so and the way he says it to them, he's like, you have accidentally taken hold of our ship. And then battle Commander Cassel she comes back and she's like, well, we haven't accidentally taken hold of this ship, like we've done it. I cook your ship it is now May claimed it as salvage. Basically, she looks familiar, and I'm not exactly sure what she's been in that I might have seen for.
Speaker 2: I said the same thing, you know what, dude, she reminded me of that old school star trek random actor that would come in and just be an absolute force, whether it's just a single episode or night. You know, you don't know what I mean about that, right, Like whether it's an old British actor or something like that. She was really really really really good.
Speaker 1: Like the character in this was excellent, like as a like as I'm going to say, the bad guy of the week in this episode, Like she wasn't the typical bad guy that just wants to absolutely end us. She was the bad guy that you know, not only well doesn't really want to end us per se, she just wants our technology, you know, to protect.
Speaker 2: Her own exactly and she'll go do that at all cost and without knowing the outcome. Yeah, what the ramifications might be ramification?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So back on the planet, the away team they're trying to figure out how to get past the dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: For no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah this yeah, still good, but still good. Yeah, Like I don't know, Like to me, it looked like you could probably walk around, but yes, it would have taken a bit longer, like as someone that spent half of his career walking on two legs around the place, Like, yeah, okay, cool, it's probably going to take an extra hour or so, you know it. Does the Enterprise have that time? I don't know, like that, if they'd have just put like a time crunch on it to go, hey, we don't have the time for this, because you know.
Speaker 2: It'll take us an hour to get down that valley an hour backup, you'll all be clear ways through that way right there.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I guess they did have a time crunch because the Enterprise was caught. But did they even realize that the Enterprise was caught at that point? I don't even know. I can't even remember.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's communication between them and the ship was there at that point.
Speaker 1: No, there was, because Erica was talking of Scottie on the So now the question is asked, are their captors prewarp? Now the technology of their ship would suggest that they're not, But okay, maybe they are prewarp and they're only they are caught within their own solar system here, So now we learn that they don't. Yeah, yeah, it's totally different. That ship was. You had the technology to grab hold of the Enterprise and hold on to it, but they didn't have very good weapons. So, which obviously is a lot of the premise of the episodes. This this crew was Captain Cassel that her planet is at war with a neighboring planet with a species called the Doldrum. So Chris invites her on board, and what he uses to invite her on board is the premise of her seeing their weapons, because you know they're at war. But at this point, if they're a pre warp civilization, we shouldn't be interacting with them so much. But I guess they've really got no choice, and that is sort of spoken about really in the episode.
Speaker 2: But the amount of time said steuiffleet breaks their own rules is tenfold. It's it's it's uncountable. So all of them, I don't.
Speaker 1: Look at this.
Speaker 2: There's a huge issue, you know what I mean overall, especially if they're a kite somewhere where they don't know where they are and they're trying to get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back on the planet Lan. So she talks about how they've now got a disintegration function on the phases and she uses that function to phase the trees down. So yeah, it looked cool, it really did. It's good.
Speaker 2: It's good to see what the progression of technology game from two or when it was established, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So all right, back on the Enterprise again. So we've you know, we keep jumping between the away team and the Enterprise. Spock is doing some scans and he's determined that they are actually in the Solar System, so the Solar System being our Solar system where Earth is, Like, what the hell? And they've determined that they are actually sixty five million years ago.
Speaker 2: It's totally good idea. I love this.
Speaker 1: Wow, like they have somehow through that subspace squall storm thing traveled back sixty five million years into the past.
Speaker 2: So now that's when Craig, that's when I realized that my little thing about the tear that's definitely Earth is definitely it's definitely Earth. But I didn't know how it was going to play out. Obviously, continue sorry, and.
Speaker 1: Like battle Commander Cassel's planet is actually Mars. And then when you go look up what the title of the episode, Vallas marineris is, it makes sense because later on she talks about that trench on the planet. Anyway, perfect, absolutely perfect, just like how they didn't well, I guess that their sensors and everything are down, but they didn't mention when they got that, they didn't recognize any of the staff formations or something along those lines, which makes sense now because now, yeah, there's sixty five million years ago, like the stars and everything approved.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so sardrift, stellar drift exactly, but not only that, but not only that, as we see by the end of it, everything has changed in this all system by the time they leave, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, and then this is where they actually tell the away team that they're on prehistoric Earth. So and yeah, it is actually confirmed now that that dinosaur is an actual Tyrannosaurus rex as we would know it. Like if my son was watching it, he would have loved it like seven years old loves dinosaurs. So because they are yeah, well as because they're in the past. Now, they're like, well, we can't actually harm anything, including these dinosaurs, because if we harm this dinosaur, it could destroy their own future.
Speaker 2: Well wiser, why would killing one trick dinosaur and mess up the timeliner of their entire future?
Speaker 1: Well, the butterfly effect. I guess, like, you know, who's to say that that dinosaur doesn't eat another one later on that's eaten something or doesn't eat something that then you know, evolves into humanity.
Speaker 2: I guess they're like, Well, what I'm getting at is like they've never been on a planet that doesn't have any other kind of They never been in a passion had that situation because how many times does their time travel throughout sidetrack, They've never run into that situation where they can't like that they defend themselves or something like it. It's like, I don't know, I find that to be a little weird. One thing if you mess with somebody is like you kill this guy, and that effects like an entire generation of like people, which are facts like jobs and you know all that like in human connectivity, but with just a random animal on a planet, Like, I don't know, I find that to be odd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. I understand it how this works. But yeah, like if you if you have questions about it, put it down in the comments, like whether you're watching this on my YouTube or if you're listening to it on the get into get.
Speaker 2: What you can see me veep the entire time. I forgot.
Speaker 1: Stuck on the robot penis Well. The commander Cassell, she comes on board the Enterprise and instead of coming on the Enterprise the way she was invited to, they just phase straight through the wall like she yeah, she she plays by her own rule, this woman.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's just coming on doesn't matter. Yeah, I love that she brought two security guides with her too, Like that was that agreed to bone as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So she does mention how they are taller than like Pike, like due to less gravity on her planet, which as we know is mar Has at this point. But she's not that much taller that I thought that she needed to mention it. But if you actually have a look when you see like a full body shot of her with her people, her shoes have actually got like a big platform on them. And are like two or three inches, so that's why she's told.
Speaker 2: Her outfit which made her look very tall as well pads and the head piece or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: It was a very cool outfit though their whole costume loved it, man loved it well. And you know her people are Martians as.
Speaker 2: Well, I Craig, I could literally make I would want to see the entire show based off their entire culture.
Speaker 1: That's how That's how much I loved.
Speaker 2: This, that pursuit of the concept of what was around their people and their struggle forever. But like, it was amazing, man, Like I'm blown away by it.
Speaker 1: But we haven't even got to the most interesting and they no timeline ending part of the episode yet. So in Benger, he asks Commander Cassel if he can examine her and her two security people because normally the bio filters of the transporters would filter out any pathogens. She actually agrees because not only is she the commander, but she's trained in medicine as well, and she's curious to see what our medical technology is like on the enterprise, so which I thought was really cool. So she's not only like in the middle of a war fighting for her people's survival and grabbing the Enterprise and basically just salvaging it and doing whatever the hell she wants. It's still curious enough to see, you know, what the Enterprise and its people have to offer, which I think is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Very starfl he's very human, you know. Humed. She was like you said, she's she's not the villain of the week, she's she's like the tragic villain, or like, yeah, she's just a tragic story. It sucks.
Speaker 1: You know. She's fighting for the survival of her people against a unrelenting enemy, which we've learnt is a insectoid species which is going after them as well. So the away team back on the planet, they're going to try and stun the t rex and Una comes up with the shooting the soft palette inside its mouth. This is extremely ballsy to go up against the t rex.
Speaker 2: I think twelve feet from it on a plata on like a little cliff.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the hell is behind right now? Why are we doing this, like trying to shoot into the soft palette of it? Okay, cool, yep, all right, yeah she does it thirty yards away, Yeah, she she does it. You know, she's lucky she didn't get squashed as it collapsed onto the ground. Yeah. Anyway, so back in Sick Bay and Benger's completing his scans and she's got they've got no pathogens or anything, and it's it's it's safe for the Enterprise crew and safe for her crew on board. So this is when they start to explain the Federation to Harmanica Sell and her people. Now, one of the things I really loved about where they were explaining the UFP, like because they're talking about how they exchange weapons and you know, they exchange technologies and they protect each other and all that sort of stuff. But one of the things that Chapel explains is sometimes that exchange between members of the United Federation of Planets it doesn't have to be weapons, it doesn't have to be people, it doesn't have to be technology. It can just come down to sharing music or good recipes like it could be.
Speaker 2: It could be new new materials and ways to build houses fast there. It could be transported technology to help increase its viability, or you know.
Speaker 1: You don't even have to provide troops to protect the UFP, like the you known Federation Planets. You can literally just the planet that produces food and music and things. I thought that was excellent that that is one of the most Star Trek things I could possibly ever hear out of this stoll, I think, yep, definitely, Like that is a great sounding future. Whether it happens or not, you know, is yet to be seen for humanity. But like the thought of that, you know, as a point where we could possibly get to, is quite excellent to me.
Speaker 2: So I get to take on other planets defense forces and you know, their contribute ships and technologies, and you know, like the enterprise is not just human technology obviously, So that's a that's a collaboration of of all the cultures that have invested into soft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like at this point, it's humanity. It is the Vulcans, it's Andrians rights and you know.
Speaker 2: And we don't know who created the viewer screens on those. They could have been the Tylerants, it could have been you know what I mean, Like, it's not just Earth on thatself. Yeah, it's really cool. It's cool to think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's very very cool. So Captain Pike starts to talk about the carrot and stick discussion with her, which Captain Cassell or sorry, Commander Cassell. She is like, what's a carrot? Like thinking at some sort of way, which I thought it was pretty cool. Spock explains to her about the science station because you know, she's like, oh, is this you know, essentially like where you discover the weaknesses of your enemies and things. Well, yes it is, but it does a lot more than that, because you know, the Enterprise isn't a warship. Like, yes, it is armed to the teeth and is probably one of the best armed at this point in Stafleet's history, but it's a science vessel number one. It is not a warship. It is designed to protect itself and protect others, but it is definitely not a warship per se.
Speaker 2: Now it's we see it. It's a complaint a lot with an accent. It's almost like a luxury layer escape the schools and and all that stuff. And meanwhile they're only bees are flying around and just warships with just the compliment of crew, And.
Speaker 1: They're like, what the hell is wrong with you guys? You got children on here? Would think that we were very strange having children and families all over the.
Speaker 2: Well they did, and the in the exchange program they had with Raker and Welsh brother. Yeah, Kurrent, Yeah, karens what the hell is going on here?
Speaker 1: So as Pike is talking to Captain or Kimmander Cassel, I keep saying captain. If I say captain, you know, excuse me, because yeah, she's still a captain of their ship. So he uses the word alone. But apparently in her language, when you are speaking, your inflection, which happens with a lot of languages, actually means yeah, your inflection means different things. And the way that it was translated alone translated into him being a widower, which makes sense his loss of Marie Battell last season.
Speaker 2: I loved how you can instantly see there's like the emptiness in his eyes. Yes, he's very good betrayal, but Anson moment right there, like you could see the emptiness and his heart skipper beat and just him pulled back for like that momentary bubble right there. It was just it was a very very good act.
Speaker 1: I don't think Anson Mount's acting chops get enough credit, like throughout his career, I really don't. He's such a better actor than some of the roles that he's played through his career. Like he definitely is like, Yes, he's the leading man in this show, but I think he deserves a lot more credit than what he's given.
Speaker 2: I'm going to plead ignorant to the fact that I don't know what else he's.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that failed in Humans TV show that Marvel did. He was in that.
Speaker 2: I never saw it, but he was a leading guy in that. He was he was black Bell. I know, he seems like somebody who has some gravitas obviously, like the show started. I like he he has that that Paul as a captain. Yeah, no, a couple of shes didn't have faltered make up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think people are well aware of my opinion on the show overall. Had this show has the potential to be the best the best, and it's had moments where it's not even remotely lived up to that. But this episode and hopefully what the season will bring and show you what Star Trek could be and what it should be, and I have high helps for it.
Speaker 1: Man. I think that was so with the rest of this season. And yeah, because we've got a full complement of ten or eleven episodes this season, I think next season there's only six episodes. I think it is which is the last the strange New Worlds, like whether they go on and do this Star Trek year one with the first year of Kirk is still seen. I don't think it's going to happen, but you know, we will see. So But going back to this episode, we actually see Mars itself with an atmosphere, and damn that planet looks beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has tend to open a view were screen rate She's like pull pull your view screen.
Speaker 1: Up and then yeah, she row take the planet like one hundred and seventy two degrees or whatever it is. And this is where we see the Vallast Marinerus, So the big scar on the planet, which is apparently where the Doldrum crashed a ship on their world deliberately and killed two million people. So, as I was saying earlier, that scar on the planet with that big valley slash trench, the Vallast Marinerus, it is the length of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: It was almost the length of the entire planet or system is well you know half of it, I mean you know half of it, half of that side at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was massive. So and it killed two million people. So no wonder you know, this is like they you know, they hate this Doldrum species. Now, the Doldrum come from a neighboring planet. Now, obviously we know that this is our solace them, but we it's not till later we figure out, like there's another planet there. Now, because there are an insect species, they've been saying that they can't communicate with the Doldrum at all. They've tried and they failed massively. So this is where they go to Sam Kirk, who is a zeno anthropologist, and obviously Stafleet has come into contact with quite a few different insectoid species at this point, and he's talking to them about how they learned to communicate with some of them, and even one of them, one of the SPECIESE was it twenty three?
Speaker 2: It could have been twenty three twenty three of the species that they've contacted, I believe, I believe don't necessarily caught it on me fans, but I'm pretty sure it's twenty three of them. We're able to communicate.
Speaker 1: One of the species that they've come across. They communicate through smell, which is interesting. So and he said, yeah, that that translation was rather stinky. Essentially, here's my shit, they had tackles anyway. So Commander Cassel, well, she and her guards they steal anti matter fuel at this point, and then Chris is like okay, So he actually runs down to where they are on the ship and they're about to exit and phase through the wall where they came in onto the Enterprise, and he's like, I thought we were getting along, essentially, like you know, but she's like, look, you lied to us, you weren't truthful.
Speaker 2: And she's been nothing buted out the entire time, heard her full intentions, whether she was going to take the ship or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while she was in the lab, she discovered that we, well the crew of the Enterprise and the Enterprise itself is from sixty five million years in the future. She's discovered that She's figured that out from their own computers, and she's not happy about it. And she essentially sees it as lying to them because they did explain where they were from, but not when, and that's a big thing to her, which yeah, I kind of get.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, she's knowing that just how are they going to get home? Number one Starfleet isn't there to help them or assist, so what's you know? And then obviously what you're going to say next.
Speaker 1: So, and you know, Enterprise is giving them what they need to win this war. Like, they don't have access to the antimatter themselves, so they're just taking it from the Enterprise and they're going to use it as a weapon.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: The away team down on the planet, they find the iridium. There's a crashed shit.
Speaker 2: You missed one poet, you missed one poet. When she's when she's talking with Plaque and she they're talking about stifleet and all that, she does make it aware that she realizes that her planet is destroyed sixty five million years in the future and is a red waste plan and she and she the fact that she quotes and says red waste plan, you know, and oh wait, she didn't see it in the computer actually.
Speaker 1: So so she does. She realizes that, you know, in the sixty five million years in the future where the Enterprise is from, Mars is just a barren rock essentially, and she wants to start And I don't blame her. I really don't blame her at all.
Speaker 2: I don't either.
Speaker 1: The crash Doldrum ship on what we now know as Earth. Now there's some pods that are on where that crash ship is, And I don't know were they still alive or were they.
Speaker 2: Just confused about that because why would if they had been there?
Speaker 1: Actually how long were they down there? Well, the ship was fio, so it didn't look like it had been crashed there for too long to be honest.
Speaker 2: All right, So then that maybe I don't know they said reflexes when when they acted when in fact like reacted, but I don't see how did you activate like the deep like deep rast out of cray of sleep or like it was very confusing. I didn't get that boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It was a quote unquote colony ship. So the Doldrum were they heading to Earth to try and colonize Earth as well? Like obviously, as we know, Earth is the third planet in our Solar system, Mars is the fourth, and then there's a a fifth planet with the which is the Doldrums planet. There's no fifth planet exactly exactly. So anyway, she goes in and she gets the iridium fuel pod.
Speaker 2: There's god.
Speaker 1: The next scene, it's honestly okay, So Lan punches what looks like a velociraptor. Did it look like a velociraptor to.
Speaker 2: You, Yes, so I was going to mention this earlier and igot about this. I so obviously since Drastic Park, like which we had deemed at the time very authentic looking dinosaurs, a lots come out just to suggest that they were other feathered. Not all species were, but I do like that they kept one to be roughly about the same as it looked in Jurassic Park, and it had one look more accurate that raptor came up. It is kind of a raptor. Raptors would imagine would be a lot bigger than her, probably like three or four feet, but at the same time it looked like one it was feathered. I do love the accuracy they tried to you know.
Speaker 1: Here is like, yes, I do like dinosaurs, but were these actually supposed to be veloci raptors? And my big question here is were the loss of raptors actually around at the same time as the Tranosaurus rex or were they from an earlier period?
Speaker 2: Just throw not was actually knowing this, but knowing how Steven Spielberg would operate in the accuracy and overall validity of validity of his depiction of Jurassic Park that they would be in the same era, Jurassic era.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously, as we know, there's like the Jurassic, Jurassic and a few other.
Speaker 2: He's very accurate with that kind of stuff. That's why I wouldn't think he would do that personally. Later, Yeah, something to look up, definitely.
Speaker 1: So one of the veloci raptors comes up and Larne punches it in the face.
Speaker 2: Right and defeat sucking squat.
Speaker 1: Have you ever have you ever I was so thrown off, dear Steve, have you ever seen the video where there's a massive kangaroo that is choking this dude's dog who goes up and punches it. It reminded me.
Speaker 2: Of because of the kangaroo just like leaves back and it's like it's still bad about that's so true, that's still true.
Speaker 1: So anyway that at this point, the next scene that we see is Laan is in sick Bay talking to and Benga and Nurse Chapel. She's literally broken her hand from punching that raptor in the face. Doesn't feel it, she doesn't feel it, so and she says that she's been feeling different for a while, so you know for those ye.
Speaker 2: But she's still the same, She's still the same line to Nurse Chapel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, yeah, she's they're still friends and you know all that sort of stuff. She's she's talking about her augment DNA and then like and Benga's like, well, you're not, you know, thinking about taking over the galaxy or anything, are you? So a little bit of foreshadowing and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure? So is this always what I was just saying too. It's like the fact that she's like, oh, you're still the same person to a deep down inside or something.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, she's not.
Speaker 2: She's clearly not. She's telling you that she's not.
Speaker 1: It's weird take over the Enterprise, Like, there's still a few characters that need to leave, so Lan is one of So what happens to her? So we're obviously starting to slowly build through this season to losing Lan somehow, whether she goes full Khan or whether she gets killed somehow or Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's what's going to happen. I think we lose lose her. That's my opinion. How nothing to beast it off, but I think it's probably a good way to protate to Andrew character.
Speaker 1: Like is it one of those things where they wipe her from the history books or you know, because we never hear about her, so Spock never.
Speaker 2: To she is a scene too.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so all right, so they they've installed the iridium and we've got our engines back online. So at this point they hail Commander Cassel and Pike apologizes to her in a way you know, he's sorry, you know, and then she shuts off the comms and she's using that antimatter. So she's going to destroy the Doldrum's homeworld, which is the fifth Deay, not messing around. This is like she sees her way to end this war, and she is going to end the Doldrum once and for all.
Speaker 2: No pussy food, no pussy flood. They get ready to it.
Speaker 1: This is where they are like, well, hang on, the fifth planet in the system is not Jupiter like as we would know it now and as they know it. So it is another planet, right, It is similar to Mars in size and everything, but yeah it is, it's just not there in the future. So anyway, she deploys the antimatter mine, but they actually say that she's going to be too close to it and it's going to destroy herself as well, So she actually sacrifices her own ship and her own life when she does deploy this antimatter onto the Doldrum homeworld, and she kills herself in order to make sure that her people survive, which is no very noble. Yes, but at this point there's the moral conundrum that they have. It was like, well, hang on, do we stop this antimatter mind from hitting that planet or do we let it happen? And essentially, because Pike realizes that hang on, in our time there is no fifth planet in between Mars and Jupiter, he lets it happen. Like the crew on the bridge are all like, well, we can't let this happen, but he does let it happen.
Speaker 2: And as a result of that, it's not just one thing that happens too, so no, it's three things happened.
Speaker 1: Really, So yeah, Cassell and her crew dead, the Doldrum planet dead.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, beautiful Enbagery by the way, sorry to interrupt beautiful. I loved Pike standing under bridge and looking at that it looked fucking banging that.
Speaker 1: Was destroying the Doldrum home planet. Is it shifts Mars's orbit accidentally? Like so she didn't realize that this was going to happen. But it also creates the asteroid that destroys the dinosaurs on Earth.
Speaker 2: At the Yuca Temple Peninsula, with the extinction actually happens.
Speaker 1: Now, the question is, is the whole incident where the Enterprise travels back in time, is it was always meant to happen? Were we always responsible for our own evolution? Like the mind being with the paradox is paradox is. Yeah, it's awesome, it's a very lovely Sorry, continue, Steve. No, You're right. I wish we could see each other.
Speaker 2: We could que we get out.
Speaker 1: I use that type. I can't see you.
Speaker 2: That's but no, I'll upgrade one day if you. Just the idea of them being able to make this whole concept intrigues me on a level that I've never been intrigued before out of a ship. It's been a while since I've been intrigued to that to that level. I love the concept of it. To follow the potential, like I could see like comics coming out of this of like the Marus, you know, the Mar's planet and stuff like I want to learn more about it. It will for me. It was perfect.
Speaker 1: The remnants of the Doldrum planet become what we know now as our asteroid belt as well. And as I said, yeah, the explosion of that planet changes Mars's orbit. So Commander Cassell's actions actually resulted in her killing off her own planet and her own people, really, which is creation of ours, yes, but it's quite sad for her and her people, I guess, and she'll never know what she's done herself, like what she was doing, she was doing for the protection of her own people, and it's quite sad actually.
Speaker 2: Well, when Clake says I'm sorry when the wave hits her ship, that's why he's saying I'm sorry because he knows that he knows the planet is going to be destroyed. At the same time, he's like, see, I have to let this happen. She thinks that it's going to happen a certain way, but what's really going to happen is, like I said, A followed a four different scenario. The Doldroom planets destroyed. Her planet is sent out of orbit and basically the atmosphere stripped away becomes a red baron wasteland. The asteroid of an asteroid breaks off hits Earth. Dinosaur is destroid. It just forms our Solar system as we know it today, because then the asteroid belt comes off with the ashoid belt. Was the fourth followed Absolutely brilliant, Absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 1: It really so the explosion of the Doldrum planet with the result with the antimatter explosion and the power of that is from that. Spock determines that there is enough power from that that if we head into it, it should have enough power that we can get the Enterprise back to our time.
Speaker 2: Though it wasn't destroyed it exactly.
Speaker 1: Will it destroy the ship? Well, it clearly, but what.
Speaker 2: He says is it. I love what he says, though, will it destroy the ship? I'm determined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. I loved it. The crew doesn't want to spend the rest of their lives sixty five million years in the past, definitely, So let's get the.
Speaker 2: Hell out of there. Yeah, fuck it, let's get that.
Speaker 1: The Enterprise senior staff, they're having their their debrief, shall we say, And then Chris orders that the crew needs some time off and they have the rest of the night off. But as they're leaving the ready room there or the conference room, and Benga he has a bit of a chat to Chris, and he explains that when he scanned Captain Cassell and her guys that he got their DNA on record, and their Martian DNA is actually throughout the galaxy. So that means that some of the people from Mars must have survived and many, many different spaces have parts of Martian DNA in them, which I think is cool.
Speaker 2: It could be the possibility that the Martians. This is why I feel like it's so intriguing to me, like the story of their planet and of their time like sixty five million years ago, because what if they had ships that you know, noticed or were in orbit at the time, or on a colony, some asteroid or some moon, you know, because they didn't have warp capabilities, maybe they had flown two years to this certain destination or whatever, and they were able to realize that their planet has been destroyed and then go elsewhere to you know, spread the varsity DNA throughout the galaxy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant, dude, it really is. It's brilliant. This is the best I have seen star tracking quite sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, this is probably it is in my top five favorite episodes of all of YEA Strange New Worlds.
Speaker 2: So far, it's up there as top episode of Stide. Honestly, I'm not just saying that's like I watched it three times, and if you know me, like if I'm going to watch something three times since Thursday, you know it's Saturday and night here in the US. It hit me in a different level. That's a type episode for me in Star Trek in general. That's the time sci fi episode for me in sci fi let alone, just Star Trek that is that hit me on all levels. And I blew up Craig right away when it happened. I was like, holy shit, Due, it.
Speaker 1: Is extremely good this episode, so Averril April. At this point, he is back on the Enterprise and debriefing with Captain Pike in his quarters, and Captain Pike pulls out a book called The Princess of Mars, and Pike is sort of discussing, like wishing he could tell his dad about it because his dad is now dead and everything. But I like that they have well, Starfleet has determined that this whole incident has to stay a secret. Yeah, those that aren't watching this, they were just listening. Steve. He's picked up his cat what's his cat's name? Heiber, like a Kaiber Crystal from Powers.
Speaker 2: Yep, she's honorable, but she made a little attention for some thing because she kept me out next to me and I can't ignore her.
Speaker 1: So yes, So this whole incident where the Enterprise traveled sixty five million years back into the past, it has to stay secret and the history books cannot be changed, which like, how many times has the Enterprise not even just this Enterprise, but well this Enterprise in particular has traveled time a couple of times now and it be documented too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So well, the ramifications of this, I mean, at the same time, I was going to say, the ramifications of this are a little bit different, But at the same time, the ramifications of this would affect literally nobody on Earth or in the Federation.
Speaker 1: So no, But what is it keeps canon for Star Trek alive because we've never heard about this before. So I like the way they did it. It was a smarty I like it with Cannon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like it in general though, because I love secrecy and I feel like there's much people like to put Starfleet in Star Trek on a pedestal of this utopian society and the ship doesn't think and it's all you know, socialism and involvement. That's not what we see on the screen every time, exactly here in this episode, it's just not what we see. They're still very human.
Speaker 1: So obviously Admiral April is there to say to Chris about this promotion. But Chris, he decides not to take the promotion. He's not taking it, but he has someone that deserves a promotion, and that is number one Una Chin Riley. So for those that didn't know, he's actually a lieutenant commander. So she actually gets fully promoted to full commander at this point, which is.
Speaker 2: Great, yep, which is building her up to where the point where she is on the show as well.
Speaker 1: So she is the first officer of the flagship of the fleet, and you know, she should be a commander, not just a lieutenant commander.
Speaker 2: Of course she should be. That's why. That's why he recommended it too. I would imagine too, it's probably it's bow time, you know.
Speaker 1: So we go back to her and the Vulcan cadet that's there. I still think she is extremely fucking rude, but.
Speaker 2: This is all bar scene by the way, right, Yeah, it's odd to bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe she's not rude, maybe she's just very vulcan.
Speaker 2: Yes she is. That's what I was getting at earlier. She's Jeff Vulcan.
Speaker 1: So Scotty and Erica. Yeah, they've still got a thing going on there. I'm not sure what's happening whether Yeah, as I said earlier, I think they're setting them up for something. But obviously Ortegas she has to leave at some point as well in the next season and a half, so that'll be interesting. So in the bar as well, Chapel wants to know more about the dinosaurs, which is cool. But yeah, yeah, obviously this whole thing is supposed to be secret, like stop talking about it.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, dude, is like I've always wondered this on shit, like everybody, you know, battle stations, everybody. Does everybody know what the fuck is actually going on at all times? Or are you just on dack foot completely ignorant to of your entire five year mission because you're not on the bridge, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You're confusement and you're going around and fixing light globes and stuff on the ship like that's your entire job, Like do you know what else has happened? Do you know that you've just traveled sixty five million years back into the past.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like kind of the premise to some lower decks though, I guess to a point.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly, love that shows.
Speaker 2: It's to show you the other version or side of stuff for you.
Speaker 1: Correct. Now, this last scene of the episode is I like it because it is back when they were still in the past and the three girls down on the planet on the away team. There they are looking out over prehistoric Earth and seeing all of the dinosaurs, and I thought that scene was brilliant. It was beautiful, and the CGI and the ar wall or whatever they were using there for that it looked amazing.
Speaker 2: Bang it.
Speaker 1: What did it remind you of at the end?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: What did they call back to? What was they what they reference? You tell me Drastic Park? Well, yeah, all I can hear in my head was.
Speaker 2: When when I when I saw the t Rex bending down and get picking his head up, I was like, he's gonna roar, And it's kind of.
Speaker 1: The exact scene the Jurassic Park right there pretty much. And then that's the end of the episode. So for me, that episode as I've said, was absolutely brilliant. I loved it, like such a strong opening episode for a season of Strange New Worlds.
Speaker 2: Yep, strong, its strong, and like I said before, dude, not only just strong for sty Trek or Strange World strong for sci fi. That was incredible. That was the for me. I think I told you that I very rarely will hand it out of ten. But that's damn close.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: Man, that's that's that's the nine point five for me. Dude, that that was.
Speaker 1: Well when Yeah, looking on IMDb as well. At the moment, this is one of the highest rated episode of all of Strange New Worlds. Still, the highest rated episode is those old Scientists, the one with the Lower Decks guys coming over?
Speaker 2: Is it really?
Speaker 1: That is the highest rated episode of this show.
Speaker 2: Yea. And I couldn't connect with it because I didn't Obviously, I liked the episode, and I understand the characters and ape attention to certain things About's Lower Decks. I just don't watch it. So I didn't connect with that episode that much because obviously I never stow the show.
Speaker 1: Lower Decks for me is one of those shows now that I like because I've seen every episode so many times I can just put it on in the background and it's like a comfort show, Like it's just hilarious. Like even my seven year old likes watching it. So probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, right, But I know we've talked about it, but did you have you watched Prodigy?
Speaker 1: I haven't watched all of Prodigy yet. I don't even think I can get it on any of the streaming services here in Australia anymore, not even Netflix.
Speaker 2: I say Netflix has the second season and then Paramount had the first season. I'm not even sure if it's still longer. But that being said, that show it has a very kid elm to do it, just like how how I treated Clone Wars back in my day. I was like, it's a kid show. It's a kid show. But then once people started telling me that, now, trust me, this is the best of Star Wars. This is in depth storytelling, it deep, it's emotional.
Speaker 1: Well into. Prodigy is the only Star Trek I have not seen all of Like I've even seen all of the original animated series. So I really do me.
Speaker 2: Too, me too, I like it too.
Speaker 1: Actually I had flood white to that, but anyway, neame that's about it from us here, Like, as I was saying, I really loved that episode. Next week's episode is called the Griffin Incident. Just it looks like it's going to be a Kirk heavy episode. Like I'm not going to read the synopsis there because I want to stay so I want to stay surprised because I hope. I'm hoping that this is going to be another brilliant episode as well, so you reckon you'll.
Speaker 2: Be at Kirk. It's a it's a heavy Kirk episode.
Speaker 1: Well, it's got a picture of Kirk and his brother there, so it could be a Kirk episode. This is just going off the picture on IMDb, so I could be completely wrong. I'm not looking at the synopsis.
Speaker 2: So well, this episode got my hopes up. So regardless of how I feel about the Kirk character this and this shows incarnation, I feel optimistic about it.
Speaker 1: Excellent. You think he'll be back next week? Mate?
Speaker 2: Now I'm just kidding you, so well, I'll wait, but no, I'm willing to do it every week going forward. But not only that, I would love to sit down and have like a starkeep chat with here or even just I know we've talked about this before, but you know I would like to just pop up a couple of chatsmens, so well, i'll give me more used to it, no when to jump in and all that.
Speaker 1: Too as well, but yeah, they're more used to it to me. Yeah, Steve too many podcasts. He's done a couple with us here on this channel before, and I think he's done a great job. Like he's a good dude and he loves his sci fi. So i'd like to have him back. As I was saying earlier, I'm going to try and put this out on YouTube as well on my Geeking Camo channel, which you can follow me on the socials at Geeking Camo on Facebook and Instagram. Think I'm on threads as well for it now, I'm not sure does anyone use threads?
Speaker 2: I know I did for a while. Then I was like, it's kind of like very politically bleased, so it's political. Yeahs very heavy on that actually. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously this will go out on the get into Geek channel for those guys for audio, so you can listen to that on all the different places where those podcasts go out, and it goes out on just about every podcast platform, so you don't have to just step in one.
Speaker 2: Also, I am going to get a computer. You promise Craig that I'm going to get one. Not only that, I'm going to make sure like I get a nice setup. So if you do post this to YouTube going forward, because I have tons of stuff, I'm just going to make sure I put it shut up behind me, you know, make it actually look like not me just vaping and leaning into my desk every five minutes or back in my chair or spinning, you know, every once in a while.
Speaker 1: All right, team, until next time that is us, We'll catch you later. Don't hang up yet, Steve Ye