Speaker 1: Here we are again with another episode of the Mullet, the business and content marketing something advice offshoot of Countryslide. We have just recorded three episodes back to back, and this is the fourth episode in that chain. So this is probably going to be the silliest of the lot. That's what tends to happen. So some of them are good.
Speaker 2: I think some of.
Speaker 1: Them were good. Some of there was definitely content in there, so I think this is my turn to read it out, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Can you do a Welsh accent? Oh you've got that in the locker? Now, don't do that. It's it's inappropriate.
Speaker 1: No, how much time should I actually know?
Speaker 2: No, don't don't do that, that's silly. This is very serious business.
Speaker 1: How much.
Speaker 2: You stop it?
Speaker 1: Stop it? Stop at you? How much time should I actually spend on content? I run a small eco clear This is actually more across the other side of the tam aisle. It's a bit more cornish. I run a small eco cleaning business in a rural area. Nothing fancy, just me and a couple of part time staff. I keep hearing how important social media is, but between doing the actual work admin and trying to have a life. I've got about twenty minutes a week's spare. Is it better to do the odd scrappy post when I can or should I carve out proper time and try to make a plan. Claire east Devon, Oh, I've got stuff to say about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got. First of all, I don't know what eco cleaning is. I mean, you don't use things to like that will kill stuff, And.
Speaker 1: I don't think you just don't lungs out, don't spray bleach everywhere? Yeah, okay, fair use an army of trained termites to eat away at the limescale in the kettle.
Speaker 2: Twenty minutes spare. I feel like if either they're overworking or they need to put their prices up. It's really easy in all businesses to create a prison of your own making. Yeah, and not have time. We've done it, and not have time for.
Speaker 1: All the things.
Speaker 2: You know, we're currently recording a podcast. Yeah, So it's really easy to do a prison of your own making in the form of a business, and you end up not with a business but with a job that you've given yourself, plus lots of liability and stress. So potentially the first thing if you only if you've got such limited time, look at your pricing, because maybe you could put it up, you know, a five or an hour and see you might get some of that time back and be granted the ability afforded the ability to actually do some social media and some marketing. That's my first observation of such things.
Speaker 1: You know, mine sort of follows on from that. Why you thinking about this? You just think you should do it? Or is it because you want to find more customers? And if you want to find more customers, well, when are those customers going to be served because you're so flat out already unless you can find someone else to come and you can have employees and expand out that way, which sounds what that's what Claire's doing. She says she has a couple of part time staff already. Okay, you can do that and get more customers. But then are you still working flat out or should you be working on the business rather than working in the business, Which is a really difficult part to get beyond for people. Oh, particularly when it's your thing that you started and you scaled it out and then you've got some people to work for you and you're telling them how to do it and you're managing them at quite a few different levels at the same time. Getting to the point where you're just working on strategy and working at the high level at the ten thousand foot view is really hard when they're used to you working alongside them or in the job at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Trades often have this problem, builders and carpenters and sparks and so on, because you know how to do the job and your reputation relies on doing the job properly, and then you get someone else to work for you to do the job, you're almost stood over their shoulder making sure they're doing a good job, in which case you may as well have just done it yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Or you spend as much time explaining how to do the job as it would have taken to do it.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's an ADHD problem?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I suppose there's a control thing as well. You want to be in the control of the quality.
Speaker 1: So there's that, But there's also if you're somebody who if you learn how to do something yourself, and if you had to teach yourself how to do and you had to, you weren't given a guideline. If you do this, then this, then this, than this. You had to observe what other people were doing, try it for yourself, work out what worked, work out what didn't, and put it all together. That way, it is almost impossible for you to step out of that because your brain literally doesn't work in that structure for that subject. You you see every problem almost instinctive. Instinctively, you don't see it as something logical that you can just write down as a paragraph of this is how you do this, and this and this is why. Because you are working from a continual series of memories and experiences which you need to have in your brain in order to solve that problem, you can't coldly step out of it and go right What you do is this.
Speaker 2: I converted that in my web design marketing business, where I wrote an entire higher operations manual of exactly blow by blow how we did certain things. And a lot of times I'd use it even for myself, like just working out all the numbers and where the where the stuff was for paying a fat bill. You know, I'd need to do all of those bits, and yeah, you can. It's a good way to separate, separate yourself from that and give people a protocol of stuff to work to and hold them accountable for doing things correctly because they've got no excuse once they've got a step by step instructions that they didn't follow. I think we've got sidetracked. Have we got sidetracked? Brilliant?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think that's good universal advice. So this is about the social media. Do you actually need to do social media? Because what are you? What's your end goal with it? If it's to get more customers it in and actually do you have the time to service it? Or is that a parallel problem of working on business versus working in the business. Let's keep it on the social media side of things. What players ask if.
Speaker 2: You can scale? If you can scale those people, you have always got to be careful of trying to scale business that relies on you. So I'd say you could put your prices up and then that might free up some time, and then replace the terrible, terrible clients with the goods some good clients, and all the ones that want it cheaper and cheaper and cheaper can probably drop off, and all the ones that are good that value the service will keep paying, and then you could probably leverage social media to your benefit. To be honest, you could if you've got your pricing strategy right and the business is profitable, you could easily you could easily just pay somebody else to do to keep up to date with your social stuff. But if not leverage those Facebook groups and stuff like that, where hyper local you need to focus on hyper local social media, it's no good. It's no good. What I see with cleaning companies and stuff is they'll set up a cleaning company and they'll target hashtags like cleaning company, and you know, they'll be like talking about products and all this sorts of stuff and the people that are liking it like other cleaning companies. But actually what you need is local people that are in that area that might need your service. So I'd leverage like your local you know, an East Devon group of people in that village or surrounding villages that you can actually go to, and that's where i'd focus it.
Speaker 1: I'd say there's another element to it as well, which is it's not just about finding new customers, it's sort of keeping those customers. It's keeping that trust, it's keeping that quality of service and making sure that staying with you is one of the most important things. To them in that aspect of their business, whether it's for the home or whether it's for like airbnbs or something like that, that you want to keep people with you so you don't end up going backwards and losing customers. So social media doesn't have to be just about finding new people. It can be about serving the existing customer base in the existing audience, which can be making sure that you do things or show things that are aligned with what they want. So there's a heavy breathing in the background because that's my dog that's just arrived in the desk. You're very interested in social media strategies, aren't you. Yes, so say ROAs, Yeah, that's a return on ad spend. People who don't know yeah, gets all, gets all. The marketing type's really excited. So what you're putting out in your social media could be just we've done this amazing job here yet again, and you don't expect much interaction from it. It's not going to get your new customers, but it means that in a year's time or six months time, or even three months time, someone might look through your grid and that's the you know, all the photos are on Instagram, all your reels and just say yes, this person does consistently good work for lots of different people over an extended period of time. Sometimes that's all people are looking for, is that you just want you to be reliable and good. You know. That's particularly for service based businesses where there's other competition in the area. They just want Yet this person's active and good. So staying up to date as well and just posting once a week. It's not going to get you much growth, but it shows that anyone checking in with you goes, oh yeah, they're still trading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 1: How many people do you know, or how many businesses have you found that you remember going there two years ago and you go to look at their websites actually nothing's changed, or their Facebook accounting. You start thinking have they gone bust? Are they still trading? Are they still doing stuff? Or are they just really busy and not doing social media? And you have to ring them to fight and say, not being funny, are you still open?
Speaker 2: Fishing?
Speaker 1: Tackle shops are quite bad for that at the moment. Yeah, it's not just finding new people, it's almost sort of continual maintenance, continual contact with an audience. Even if it's just one way communication. A lot of the time.
Speaker 2: I would post I would post transformations sort of like before and afters if you can get the client thing or a bit of educational content that it's something like, of all the cleaners I've used, this is the best for excellent amount of years, no harmful. Emma calls this this, you know, stuff like did you know that Bleach does this and this and this? This is why we don't use that when we when we do cleaning, and I don't. I wouldn't say try and sell hard unless you're on local groups then you can push it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's just something you just said there. That's it's the first time I've realized this that cleaning businesses are hard ones to do transformations, to do before and after so.
Speaker 2: Because you'd have to get clearance from the client and you also have to get you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's a social element to it as well. So if your thing is car detailing and car cleaning, filthy filthy Porsche, going to clean Porsche. Everyone wants that because they want to show having a dirty car because you've driven it a lot and had a couple look at hard days driving. It isn't there's no social negative to that. And obviously you're rich enough to pay somebody to clean your car, So there's two levels of signaling there that they're happy with personal trainers before and after on.
Speaker 2: That in a pigsty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, if you say like this, look at this person's filthy toilet before I cleaned it, you know that's not it's no one's happy with that transformation. I think you can just show afterwards maybe with that and just hint at that and say this took seventeen hours of solid work to get the staying out of that mattress. That's whatever it is. Wow, it's coffee.
Speaker 2: It would be really good. Just a little guide of how to get blood out of a rug and put that into your local Facebook groups, because there's no way people wouldn't bite it to that. I'm giving you that one free. You will get engagement and someone will probably pick up the phone if your if your socials are up to date.
Speaker 1: Has one of your guests that your airbnb butchered and munch jack on the living room carpet?
Speaker 2: Does red wine get out white wine or is it white wine get out red wine? I'm not sure. I can't remember the thing.
Speaker 1: I've just made the worst cocktail ever.
Speaker 2: Carpet wine. Carpet wine.
Speaker 1: Cocktail carpet wine?
Speaker 2: Is it.
Speaker 1: The So when the producer puts in the production chat Jesus Christ, you know you're onto a good one. So if you are going to do social media, look at the what you're doing it for, and just if you're happy with how things are now, just do maintenance. But just just keep it going, keep it ticking over good consistent stuff. And then if you need to ramp it up at some point in the future to get more working or to grow, or you finally manage to step back from the business and you're just working, you're working on strategy and marketing rather than out cleaning people's houses, then you've got a base to build on. You know. Just do good, simple strategy now that's consistent and right for your brand. And that applies to pretty much everyone who doesn't need If you don't need to grow your business through social media, but you need to be on social media, just do maintenance. One post a week and when people tag you and stuff, when people say and that it's positive stuff for your business, just share it to your stories or something like that. It takes ten seconds to do. It makes that customer feel good, makes you look active, and it keeps that relationship with that person. I see that with friends, businesses and other businesses where they get tagged and stuff and they don't share it. They go, yeah, well I don't need to or I'm too busy too. So you might have just nudged that customer a little bit further away without realizing it, because they didn't get the social feedback of you, sh of you tagging them in something. I'm tagging you in something and you sharing it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like blanking them. So ghosting kids, ghosting. Yeah, whether there's a social element to social media, it's not just a place for you to make money or to find customers.
Speaker 2: People don't like being sold everything.
Speaker 1: Nope, no, no, I mean I don't know what they're being sold with this podcast the ability to unsubscribe, Maybe.
Speaker 2: They should be sold the Patreon For just three pounds a month, you can go to ww dot countryslide dot com or dot co, dot UK, dot co, dot uk, dot co, dot uk UK slash support and you will get professional end of show shows which amazing and full of the best stories ever. And you get access to nice Twitter aka our WhatsApp group chat, which has got some good stuff and it is popping off. I have not really been able to go in it, but Richard Nigers is around and he's posting pictures of his pint, so you can go and have that.
Speaker 1: It's where all the best discussions happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good. You should, you should, you should sign up.
Speaker 1: And if you want to send in your questions, then send them into the email address that's in the show notes below this episode on your podcast player, and we'll sift through them and we'll record the four best ones in about three or four weeks time from when this goes out, So we're doing sort of drops of four at a time.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people like to message through social channels, so you can message us on Country slide Pod, on instaface, and also on Twitter, y x X dot.
Speaker 1: Com, x eggx dot com, musk Chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's it. That's all for what a night it's been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's we're here and now we're going and that's it and that's all that can be said.
Speaker 2: Okay, boy,