Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Okay, so you've given us this really dense stack of sources. It looks like it takes us right from the basics the core of a Linux server all the way up to managing stuff across multiple clouds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the idea.
Speaker 1: So our mission today it's pretty simple. We're giving you the shortcut. We're not going to wade through, you know, setting up servers by hand, definitely not. We're cutting straight to the strategic stuff, the why and the how of real DevOps automation exactly.
Speaker 2: This deep dive it really tracks a huge shift in it thinking. I mean, we're moving from system admins clicking through installs one by one the old way right towards a true DevOps model, and that's all about speed, being able to audit everything, and well collaboration. The main thing is breaking down those old walls using automation to get things delivered faster and crucially reliably.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll start with the basics, the foundation links, fundamentals, and then pretty quickly ramp up towards infrastructure as cotatchies, containers, Kubernetes, and and multi cloud strategies.
Speaker 2: Think of it as your quick start guide. We want you to get the whole picture, focusing on the insights you really need, not all the low level detail.
Speaker 1: Got it, Let's dive in app Okay, let's start right at the beginning. Then Linux it's open source, which means lots of different versions. Right, Distributions are distros.
Speaker 2: Yep created by different groups, companies, communities.
Speaker 1: So what's the like the strategic difference when you're choosing between the big ones.
Speaker 2: Well, it really boils down to risk versus reward, especially around support. So on one side, you've got Red Hat Enterprise Linux RHL, that's your corporate choice, the subscription model.
Speaker 1: You pay for it.
Speaker 2: You pay, but you get guaranteed support, stability that's certified, and this is important compatibility with their enterprise software like JBoss and stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, stable, supported, predictable exactly.
Speaker 2: Then on the other side you have things like Debian and it's very popular derivative Ubuntu. These are fully community maintained, so free as in cost, yes, maximum freedom. But you know, if something breaks, you're leaning on the community forums, mailing lists. The fix isn't guaranteed on a deadline.
Speaker 1: It's that classic trade off then, paid certainty versus free community efforts precisely. Okay, So once you've picked your OS, we're talking about putting it on a server. And the sources remind us a server is really just a powerful computer doing a specific job, like hosting a website or running a database.
Speaker 2: That's all it is. And when you pick the software for that job, you're defining what we call a stack.
Speaker 1: A stack like a set of tools to solve a particular problem.
Speaker 2: Right, you define the solution by the tools you choose. Everyone knows the classic LMP stack, right, Linux, APATCHEQL, PHP.
Speaker 1: The original workhorse totally.
Speaker 2: But modern stacks are way more varied. The sources mentioned one NPM and Jinx as the web server, piping for the application itself, and Mango dB for the database, different tools for different needs.
Speaker 1: And the last bit of this foundation, where does the server actually live? We're shifting here too, aren't we, from on premise to cloud big shift on premise.
Speaker 2: That meant the servers were physically inside the company in their own data center, maybe even under someone's desk.
Speaker 1: Huh hopefully not, hopefully not.
Speaker 2: But they own the hardware, the cooling, everything. They manage their own virtual machines too, maybe using tools like open stack.
Speaker 1: Or overt right at the cloud.
Speaker 2: Cloud just means those virtual servers are running on someone else's hardware in a third party's huge data center think AWS, Azure, GCP.
Speaker 1: And the big advantage there.
Speaker 2: Elasticity and cost. Mostly you can spin up resources when you need them and crucially turn them off when you don't, like overnight or weekends. You only pay for the run time and storage you actually consume. That can be a massive cost saving for organization.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Pay for what you use. Yeah, all right, so we have our servers maybe in the cloud, but once you get more than a handful, doing things manually just breaks down right immediately.
Speaker 2: It doesn't scale. That's where automation becomes absolutely essential. And the first tool pretty much everyone learns is Bash.
Speaker 1: Bash the command line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the command line interpreter, but it's also a scripting language. It's the system admin's Swiss army knife, you know, great for automating simple repetitive things like whati oh, rotating log files, checking if disk space is low, restarting a service, quick, imperative commands.
Speaker 1: Imperative. That's the key word here, isn't it. Bash tells the system how to do something step by step.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Step one, do this, step two do that.
Speaker 1: But if you're trying to set up say fifty identical web servers, writing a Bash script for that gets complicated fast. You're downloading ISO images, figuring out disc allocation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, dynamic allocation for your test lab maybe, but fixed size for production so you don't accidentally fill up the whole storage system. It's slow, it's prone to errors. That whole pain point is really what led to infrastructure as card I see. Absolutely nobody wants to sit there manually prove visioning one hundred vms every day. IC is the answer for the provisioning part, setting up the infrastructure itself. It goes way beyond just simple task scripting.
Speaker 1: So tools like Vagrant come in here.
Speaker 2: Vagrant is often the first IC tool developers meet. Instead of you know, clicking through all the virtual box setup screens, defining memory disk size, enabling virtualization in the bios. Yes, you just write a simple configuration file code. Vagrant reads that code, talks to virtual box, and automatically builds the VM for you. It usually uses pre built OS images they call them boxes from places like Vagrant Cloud gets the BASEOS installed instantly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a huge leap. We've gone from telling the computer how to run each step with Bash to just declaring what we want the end result to look like with Vagrant and IIC.
Speaker 2: That's the core philosophical shift. It makes the whole process repeatable, consistent, and auditible. If your code says you need three gigs of RAM, you get three gigs of RAM every single time nopes I click the wrong button.
Speaker 1: Automation is getting serious now, but we can accelerate even more. Right. Moving beyond full virtual machines to containers, let's talk Docker. People often call it lightweight virtualization. What's actually happening under the hood in Linux?
Speaker 2: Yeah, lightweight's a good description. Fundamentally, a container is about isolating processes and their filesystems. Think of it like an advanced version of an old Linux command crut. It creates a sort of walled off directory that acts like its own little OS.
Speaker 1: Install walled off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It uses Linux kernel features control groups name spaces to keep the container's resources. It's network traffic, it's view of the filesystem separate from the host and other containers. That's what makes it so portable. Everything the app needs is bundled inside Okay, so let's.
Speaker 1: Walk through an example. Say we're developing a simple web app and Python using the Flask framework. How does the whole container ecosystem build up around that to make it ready for production?
Speaker 2: Right, So you start coding with Flask, but flask itself it even warns you it's built in server is just for development. It's not tough enough for real traffic.
Speaker 1: Okay, so step one need a better.
Speaker 2: Server exactly for production. You need a proper WSGI server that stands for a Web Server Gateway interface. It's a standard way for Python web apps to talk to web servers. Guncorn is a really popular one.
Speaker 1: Gunnacorn handles the Python part robustly, but you still need something to face the public internet right to handle all the incoming connections.
Speaker 2: You got it. You need a traffic cop out front reverse proxy precisely. Typically you'd use something like in jincs. Jinx is fantastic at handling tons and tons of simultaneous connections. It does a few key things. It can load balance traffic if you have multiple guncorn.
Speaker 1: Workers, spreads the load yep.
Speaker 2: It can also cash static files your images, CSS, JavaScript. That stuff doesn't need to hit the Python app every time, and jinc serves it directly, which is super.
Speaker 1: Fast, takes load off the application server exactly.
Speaker 2: It only forwards the request that actually need dynamic processing, like fetching data from a database back to Gunnicorn. This massively reduces the CPU load on your application servers and makes everything much faster and more responsive.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we have this perfectly packaged production ready container with then Jenks and Gunnicorn and our app. But one container isn't usually enough, is it? What happens when we need hundreds running across lots of physical machines, Doctor swarm maybe isn't.
Speaker 2: Quite enough right at that scale, you need serious orchestration. You need Kubernetes K eight's the eight hundred pound Gorilla pretty much. It's the standard now originally based on Google's internal system called Borg. When you're managing hundreds, maybe thousands of containers, the real challenge is maintaining the state you want. Declaratively, you tell Kubernetes I want five copies of my web server running and it makes it happen.
Speaker 1: How does it manage that? What are the key concepts we need to grasp?
Speaker 2: Okay, three key objects to start with. First is the pod. That's the smallest thing you can employ in Kubernetes. It's basically one or moreiners that are always scheduled together, run on the same node, and share resources like networking and storage.
Speaker 1: So a pod might have my Jinx container and my Gunicorn container running.
Speaker 2: Side by side exactly. Then you have the deployment. Think of this as the rulebook for your application. It defines how many copies or replicas of a pod you want running at all times. If a pod crashes, the deployment controller notices and starts a new one automatically to get back to the desired.
Speaker 1: Number self healing. Nice. Okay, pods are the runners, deployments are the rules. What's the third piece? How do users actually reach these pods? If they can come and go?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's the service. Pods are ephemeral, right, They can be destroyed and recreated, and they'll get new internal IP addresses. You can't rely on those ips. A service provides a stable, single point of contact. It maps a fixed IP address maybe an internal cluster IP or an external load balancer IP, to the group of pods managed by a deployment.
Speaker 1: So the service acts like a permanent front door even if the rooms behind it keep changing.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. It ensures traffic gets to healthy pods, enabling real scaling and resilience without users noticing pods restarting.
Speaker 1: Okay, it makes sense, But now we have potentially thousands of these pods spitting out logs across maybe hundreds of servers. Checking logs manually is.
Speaker 2: Impossible, utterly impossible. Forget tailing log files at this scale. You need centralized logging instantly, and.
Speaker 1: That's where the efkstack comes in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, EFK, elastic Search, Fluent, and Cubana. It's pretty standard practice in Cubernetes environments. Flunid is the log collector and shipper. It usually runs as a small agent on every single node in your cluster, grabs all the container log streams and sends them off, sends them where to elastic search. That's the powerhouse. It receives all these logs, parses them, indexes them so they're searchable, and stores them. It's built for handling huge volumes of text data.
Speaker 1: Okay, logs collected, indexed, how do we actually use them?
Speaker 2: That's Cubana. Cubana is the web interface on top of elastic Search. It lets you search across all your logs from all your containers in near real time. You can search for specific errors, filter by application, timeframe, whatever you need. Plus you can create dashboards visualized trends like graphing the number of four hundred and four or five hundred errors over time, invaluable for troubleshooting and monitoring.
Speaker 1: Right, so, we've built the infrastructure, we've containerized and scaled the application. We're logging everything centrally. But there's another big challenge organizations face today dealing with multiple cloud providers, the rise of multi cloud. We've got the big three AWS, GCP, Azure.
Speaker 2: Yep, the titans AWS is you know, the original Giant still the main player, has an absolutely massive range of services for almost anything, would be full choice for many often Yeah, then you've got GCP, Google Cloud a bit newer, often seen as being strong in data analytics and machine learning, things like big Query for huge data sets, specialized hardware for tensoflow, and sometimes it's cheaper, especially for raw compute power.
Speaker 1: Interesting and Azure.
Speaker 2: Azure is Microsoft's cloud, so its big strength is integration with the Microsoft ecosystem. If your company relies heavily on Windows Server Active Directory SQL server. Azure often makes the most sense, is generally seen as very reliable, very enterprise focus, but often the most expensive of the three.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they each have their niches. But the problem comes when a company wants to use services from more than one. Right, maybe they need Azure Active Directory for identity, by the one GCP's Big Query for analytics, and perhaps they run some Core apps on AWS using Dynamo dB.
Speaker 2: Exactly that's becoming super common. But managing that Each cloud has its own way of doing things, its own dashboard, and crucially, its own command line interface the awscli, Google's u cloud Cli, azures as cli. They all work differently, different commands, different syntax.
Speaker 1: It's chaos trying to automate across them.
Speaker 2: Total chaos, inconsistent, complex, aero prone. And that specific problem managing infrastructure consistently across multiple providers is exactly what Hashi Core's Terraform was built to solve.
Speaker 1: Caere Form the big name in IAC.
Speaker 2: It's become the de facto standard for multi cloud infrastructure s code. Its brilliance is that it lets you define your infrastructure, servers, databases, networks, load balancers, everything using one single universal syntax. In its configuration.
Speaker 1: Files one syntax for all clouds.
Speaker 2: One syntax. You write your Terraform code describing what you want, and Terraform itself figures out how to talk to the specific APIs of AWS or GCP or Azure or dozens of other providers to make it happen.
Speaker 1: So if Vagrant brought iac to managing single vms easily, Terraform brings that same declarative power to managing your entire complex multi cloud setup.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. It manages the state of your whole infrastructure, and probably its most critical feature isn't even the apply part. It's the safety that it provides before you apply changes.
Speaker 1: You mean, the planning step.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the Terraform plan command before you actually change anything. You run plan Terraform reads your code, checks the current state of your actual live infrastructure. It keeps track of this in a state file and tells you precisely what it intends to do.
Speaker 1: What it will add, change or dot delete exactly.
Speaker 2: It shows you this resource will be created, plus this one will be modified, and the really scary one, this resource will be destroyed. That preview, that ability to see the potential impact and catch mistakes before you accidentally delete your production database. It's an absolutely essential guardrail for managing complex infrastructure safely.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've used Terraform to build it. We use Docker and Kubernators to deploy and scale the app. Yeah, what's the final piece tying all this automation together, Getting code from a developer's laptop into production reliably. The CICD pipeline right.
Speaker 2: CICD often orchestrated by tools like Jenkins get lab, CI GitHub actions. There are many CI stands for continuous integration.
Speaker 1: Checking the code quality automatically.
Speaker 2: Pretty much every time a developer commits code, the CI server automatically pulls it, builds it, and runs a series of checks unit tests, integration tests, maybe static code analysis tools like linters. The goal is to catch bugs early and often makes sense fail fast exactly. Then if all those cichecks pass, you move to CD. That can mean continuous delivery or continuous deployment. Continuous delivery means the code is proven ready to deploy, maybe with one final manual approval click. Continuous deployment means it goes all the way out to.
Speaker 1: Production automatically, now fully automated.
Speaker 2: The goal is to be able to reliably push new versions frequently. And this whole complex workflow, build, test, deploy is itself defined as code, pipeline as code they call it. So the delivery process itself is versioned, repeatable and auditible, just like the infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, we have really covered a lot of ground. We went from the Linux foundation, the.
Speaker 2: Different district RHL versus w Nbuntu, through Bash scripting, the limitations there, and then the big philosophical leap to infrastructure as code with tools like Vagrant and crucially paraform for managing multi.
Speaker 1: Cloud Declarative configuration became key.
Speaker 2: Then we got into modern application delivery Docker cant the jin scuncorn pattern and scaling it all with Kubernetes, understanding pods, deployments and especially services to connect the moving parts and not forgetting centralized logging with EFK for managing that scale.
Speaker 1: Right, The whole journey shows this relentless drive towards automation.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it the overarching theme? It isn't just knowing the individual tools, is it. It's understanding that automation has to deliver resilience, consistency and auditibility. That's the goal.
Speaker 1: So let's leave you with a final thought to chew on. If the ultimate goal for a professional DevOps engineer is to build infrastructure that's so well defined by code that you could literally destroy it and recreate it perfectly identically in moments, what people often call immutable infrastructure the dream state. Can you realistically achieve that by clicking around in cloud provider dashboards or by relying on a patchwork of custom Bash scripts? Or is the unified declarative plan and apply approach of something like terraform the only truly sustainable way to manage the sheer, complexity and scale of modern, often multi cloud reality.
Speaker 2: How you answer that probably defines your approach as a modern engineer, something.
Speaker 1: They think about. That's all the time we have for this deep dive. Thanks for joining us, See you next time.