Speaker 1: My god, her voice is so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very dear.
Speaker 3: Okay, read for hour. Bye are you kick?
Speaker 2: Eh?
Speaker 4: Welcome to going down to So Out Pipe, the podcast where we always have ourselves in time, And this week we're going to be singing some songs.
Speaker 3: I'm Dwando and I am guy. Yes, voice like an angel? And why are we going to be singing some songs? What episode will be reviewing? This episode is wing Wing indeed? Yes.
Speaker 4: Now, last week you were saying, oh boy, this could be dangerous for us to review this episode.
Speaker 3: Let's just say that white or Caucasian people doing accents that are outside their sphere is generally frowned upon in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, and there's a bit of it in this episode, but I don't think the bulk of it is sort of done not maliciously. But then I'm saying that as a middle aged white guy.
Speaker 4: The funny thing is you say that, yet all the China he is that's spoken this episode isn't Chinese. That's all just trade Parker just making gibberish.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, we hope enjoyed this episode of Going down the South Park. We'll see you next week. It's literally just Trey Parker making sound, just making He's just the Wesley snipeicular that she was flabbergast. She could not believe that was in a mainstream movie. I don't know. And if you can google Wesley sn demos clips on YouTube. Yeah, I won't even say what he's saying. And it's not even that. I won't say. It's not even that offensive. It's not like swearing a racial slurs or anything. It's kind of racial slurish.
Speaker 4: But the whole point of this episode is that so Token has been given a chance to sing at the local Miss Universe pageants whatever, Colorado's Colorado pageant, and he's gonna paid two undred dollars and Cartman sees this as a chance to become his agents.
Speaker 3: So they break into the talent agent business. They form the super Awesome Talent Agency, and they're going to start representing people and earning ten percent by doing nothing. That's that's the that's their gimming. So the whole thing is taking the mickey out of talent agencies. That's what they're doing here. Yeah, that's the thing. I can only assume that Parker and Stone, they either have a really good relationship with their agents, or they just were about to go out on their own. Yes, Like I'm trusting that the guys at CIA, who they named CHECKI I don't know if Parker and Stowe were actually with CIA. Let's look yeah, but like, guys, we're going to be taking the piss out of the heads at C are probably going to go we're CIA, We're making money. Hand out a fist. We don't give a fuck. Yes, it says ye a.
Speaker 4: Stone and Parker teamed up with Ari Emmanuel, a talent agency William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, where they met Joseph Ravich. According to The Times, Ravish heads their Reign Group, a boutique merchant bank with a focus on entertainment, digital media and sports.
Speaker 3: I may be incorrect here, and you might want to click on the link if it's actually a link, but I'm pretty sure Ari Emmanuel was the inspiration for Ari Gold from Entourage. It sounds about right, yeah, Ari, if only by virtual of the first name, but I get the feeling that he was sort of the inspiration on top of Ari emanual Entourage was who it comes up. I mean, it was a real Hollywood agent who inspired Ari Gold. Yeah, there we go. So he represented Parkeringstone said that Jeremy Pivens would have made this bit of a right wing pivot. Yeah, Pivets Pivot. Yeah did I tell you about this? You see everyone else? Do?
Speaker 4: I think we may have discussed on the podcast at some point. Yeah, yeah, he was doing this thing where someone else is making money. I'm gonna try it as well.
Speaker 3: Hey, Griff, maybe Grift? Why not doing this thing? About a thousand years ago, we made a show called We Tried to Reboot that. Today, you know, white guys, they think it was a documentary a out January sixth I remember when Pivot was on the come up. He and like John Cusack were like best buddies, and they appeared in all these movies again, and Qusa is just the most blisteringly left wing, virgin on communist kind of guy. Wonder how he feels about his best mate. Just got gotta make that right wing grift money. One of what Christmas is like when those guys get together.
Speaker 4: Pivot was never the A list ever. I mean he struck made him yeah yeah, but he was always this this the B player, He's character guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember from the Family Man it was it was that the boyfriend who loves he was he was best friend guy, best friend guy. Yeah that's true. Yeah friend was Chris Pratt for a very long time? Was he really Chris Prap shot up? And yeah, like a bulk of movies is kind of like I remember seeing him and stuff fat Pratt even just regular praps. It's not La Week for Jurassic No. No, he put on what he put on weight for Parks. And three he was in a show called Everwood, which was kind of like one of those Dawson's creeks. I was teen soaps and you look at him in that and it's kind of like, oh, we can't get Heath Ledger, but we'll get this guy because he looked close enough, because he's sort of got a little Heath ledgerish in some ways. And then he obviously had some degree of comic timing's and a few he's in the movies like Delivery Man and Five Year Engagement, all that kind of stuff. And then he got Parking and Wreck and he's like, I think it's funnier if this guy's heavy. I think it's funny if this guy is sort of like let himself go a bit and he didn't want to wait for his life to be over. And then he goes, oh, this is pigeonholing me. Yeah, and I'm the new Jonah yeah, pretty much. It's like, oh yeah, I'm just going to be sidekicked forever. So you know, hit the gym. It's Gardians of the Galaxy next thing, and Guardians before Jurassic it was wasn't yeah yeah yeah, because everyone was like Chris brad in a Subero movie that's going on. He did that inswer picture was Ah, motherfucker's got abs.
Speaker 4: This episode here. The other story is so talented. The other story is that mister Luke Kim has had the Chinese mafia helped smuggle his wife Wing into the country, who she he claims as a singer, not the greatest singer.
Speaker 3: But we'll talk about Wing.
Speaker 4: Yes, we'll talk about Wing in a second. And then the boys picker Upers as a talent and they take her to La and the mafia want to back and just they're kind of comparing your talents to the Chinese mafia, aren't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, essentially you're both sort of bloodsuckers. And now, as they say in the close to the end episode, mooching off the hopes and dreams of others. Yeah, exactly right. It's a dirty and perverse business. So Wing tell us who Wing is. So Wing is the wife in of Luke Kim in this episode, but Wing is actually a real person. Wing is actually a legitimate singer born in Hong Kong but generally resides in New Zealand. Yeah, and a love of her websites still exit, So we get the website at the end, Wing music dot co dot NZ. I almost teared up at the end, but that that's a really sweet little shout out. And she benefited financially from this. Yeah, yeah, everybody win, everybody Wings. They had to get, obviously, the approval to use her lightness, and it's actually her songs, it's her singing. It's her singing because she's got this yeah, shall we say, very distinctive voice. Initially, when I first watched this episode, I didn't know a lot about I didn't know anything about Wing, and I thought, oh, is she like do you remember William Is it Willim Hung?
Speaker 4: When he said American idol, I thought they'd taken to mick out of William Hung. Here they still might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, William hung of course, is a young man who showed up to the American Idol American was it was Australian one, No, he was American Idol. H Yeah, showed up to the audition's terrible, terrible singer saying she banged, she bangs, she banged, she bangs. It became a sensation, absolute nerd, terrible voice, but you know, I did it with such enthusiasm, and yeah, it just hit the right note of like you're kind of clueless, but you're maybe just in on the joker or no, he was never clear he knew exactly what he was doing. It was genius by him. Yeah, he played like he wasn't in on the joke. Of course it did. Yeah, that's part of the gimmick. Yeah. Yeah, And one would think, oh, okay, well this is this, like that is what did Wing show up to the auditions or something and just singing as I said, her distinctive style, which is I don't think it necessarily called it good singing, but it's in the in the Wikipedia page about her, they refer to it as outsider art. William hungers we'll see what he's doing now, right, So he's a Hong Kong born American motivational speaker and former singer who gained fame in two thousand and four as a result of his unsuccessful editioning of Ricky Martin's hit song she Bangs on the third season of American Idol. Let me. I have never heard one of William Hung's motivational speeches or anything like that, but I bet you dollars to donuts, both of which I enjoy. The gist of his speech is something like, follow your dreams. Even if you're no good at this thing that you're doing, it may lead to something great. So just you know, you see your passions following a dreams. That's the gist of it. That's that's what he does. That's pretty much. That sounds about right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But Hung rapidly gained a cult following. A William Hung fan site set up by Rialta don Chin and his wife Laura, recorded over four million hits within its first week of him appearing on the show. Remixes of Hung's audition performers top song requests lists at a number of radio stations, an online petition to bring Hun back to American Ocle he didn't get through. Okay, that would be that would be a pisstake of the entire reason American OL exists if he was to get through, right, but an OL petition existed, was started, included more than a hundred thousand sei the just By late February, Hung was brought back to American Idol as part of a mid season special titled Uncut, Uncensored, Untalented Love That I Love that.
Speaker 3: Era the special too Hard for TV. Yeah. The special documented what it was like to experience the audition process, in Hung's case, emerge as an inadvert celebrity, so he didn't go onto the show, but his audition became a success and he was brought back, and he used that fame to start his own career as a as a motivational speaker. Good for him. Oh, absolutely got a record. You've got a record deal that that's just well, that's just yeah. Yeah, but you know, the dude made lemonade out of that out of lemons.
Speaker 4: So retired from music in twenty eleven. Apparently, Yeah, anyway, but yeah, good for him. Oh yeah, every I feel like every season has their wido or they guy that's like, oh did you see that guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you've got to as you said, you've just got to find You've got to find just the right person. That though, because I'm sure there are absolute shitty people who just show up. I mean people who are no good at it but have been told by their friends well meaningly or being stitched up. It's like, oh, you should audition, pri you're a really good singer even though you're you probably get up at karaoke night and yeah you're belding out and you're really enthusiastic, but you're no good, you know, good at all. I felt bad for Susan Boyle. It felt like the marketing machine was just eating her alive. Yeah, but I think Susan Boylan actually probably did all right. A good buddy. Oh she was a great singer as well, was fantastic thing. What do you reckon? William Hunk's first album was called Was it called It's One Word? Oh? Wasn't called? Well Hung? No inspiration? Oh? And the second one Miracle Happy Summer from William Hung. Okay, but enough enough about William Hung. Yeah, but we imagine that Wing was of the cup in the same cloth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Wing still exists. Her website is still online, right, but the latest news this is the latest news on Wing music dot co dot nz. Wing will be ready to sing for all her clients from the tenth of March twenty twelve through phone service. Oh sorry for the inconvenience I'm happy to serve all my clients again. That's the last update.
Speaker 3: Is she still with us? I fucking hope. So, according to wikis still alive. She got her on page as well as she Yeah, okay, that's good. Yeah, just the songs that she's singing. And I think what touched me about Yeah, because this is objectively not good singing, but just the sincerity of it. Just yeah, she's singing because she likes to sing. You can tell that it comes through in the way that she unquote performance Sylvester silence big fan. Well absolutely yeah.
Speaker 4: Boy do they take the piss out of that guy because it needs a translator. But you know who reminded me of this is a very local reference. If you haven't meet to Melbourne, you won't even know what I'm talking about. Have you ever been to ham Hall?
Speaker 3: I am aware of it.
Speaker 4: There is always an Asian guy out the front singing karaoke songs on my mic every time we go there. Bank It makes fucking so much money. His suitcase thing is filled with money every year. It goes there every weekend. And he just basically does what what William Hung does. Just sings, deliberately, goes out of out of his way to sound terrible. Singing these songs, seeing dancing queen and whatnot makes the forty people get photos with him. He's got his own one of his own websites, CDs and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for him. If you can tamp down the natural ability to feel shame, he'll do well in this world. Indeed, you can do very well in this world.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so Wing was a genuine artist singer, and they used her lightness and her songs and everything, which I thought what Parker has don't have said. We weren't sure whether we were taking the piss out of her or whether we were patributed.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think they are. And I mean I'm normally inclined to sort of look for oh you guys are being cruel or whatever here. I don't think they are towards Wing, as I said. I just think her natural sort of sincerity comes through. She's not given much of a character other than when she gets up and seeing I was pretty I felt pretty comfortable. She keeped out of her But I mean, you don't hear a say or do anything else. I don't know. This is kind of a wholesomeness or a pure purity to it's is treated like shit by Luke Kim as well. Well, yeah, but sorry for it to some degree, certainly, But it's more like, I just think this person really enjoys singing. I know, I'm not talking about necessarily about the character in the in the show actual, the actual. Yeah, yeah, I just think and I think, well, Parker and ston't certainly Parker, you know, they're into music. I think that would appreciate someone who is really into it, someone who gives their heart and soul to it. And even if they're no gooder like wingers, like no, are you going for one hundred percent? Let's give you your props? And I think they when they say at the very end, when they put up the lad you could look at that it's like, oh, we're still taking the pits. I don't think they are. I think it's like, if you enjoyed hearing this, and for some reason I did. I mean, I'm not about to visit a website or bio CDs or anything like that. Like, I just like good view.
Speaker 4: You know, well, they never once say that she's bad, except for like stankonness is going to be too hard to get a crew off to off the ground.
Speaker 3: But they kind of live up to you the view. I don't know anyone is it's you deciding yourself. I don't like this. It's this is bad Trey Parker and Stone. They're not saying this is bad. They're saying, who this is what she does, this is her actual songs. Take it as you will. I think they're implicitly taking the pair as well. It's like, oh, yeah, voice of an episode. Sorry to do the accent, folks, but yeah, voice of an angel and all that kind of but yeah, and as Yeah, I thought that was actually a pretty funny line. It's like, yeah, like getting wings care of the ground is going to be too much work for us. Yeah, and I love later on though that once immediately augh that missus lukem has actually done all the I've already bought the tickets and we've already up. You've already done all the work. That's great, I know, I just yeah, I got a kick out of that, out of the character and wing. I also like that it sort of branched out into like an action flick, almost like Scarface at the end, wasn't it very scared? Well, I'm wondering if that was it did and when Cartman is grabbing the guns, oh you want to play hard? Or something that'd sound a very tiny Montana. It's been a while since I've watched Scarface, and I'm scared to rewatch because I feel like I won't like it anymore. Maybe that, yeah, is the thing. It's one of those ones that's it's loom so large in everyone in the collective consciousness, so to speak. It's one that I haven't rewatched a lot. I mean, I've watched a lot of briand Department Was rewatch a lot of them, a lot of Appacino movies as well, But somehow this one feels like is it because everyone likes it? No, I don't think I'm that much of a contrarian or a snow It's just like a long movie too, it is there is that. Yeah, it does feel like a bit of a commanding because it's such a it feels like such a mainstream movie. It's so quotable. For get that it's a long movie as well. You put it on your like doing. Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that you want to play Huh. Do you have any favorite moments from the episode. Those lines that I mentioned earlier near the end, when the Triads and the and the Boys posing as agents, I was just saying, yeah, this business sucks crime or talent agent, talent management. It's dirty in perverse business.
Speaker 4: And you should have stayed with him because it turns out it goes to a real talent agen and he ends up waiting table.
Speaker 3: That's correct. The re introduced to mister Garrison as Missus Garrison. But when he said the badge one, yes, that's one of my favorites. Yeah, I like that. But I just liked Principal Victoria and miss calls her mister Garrison Garrison the love. That's that's our reaction. That's better than a black man singing correct. Yes, look this sensitive. This episode is going all in on the insensitivity some muchs. We'll just do this, and my apologies to anyone offended by this. But when Cartman is doing his spiel to Token about trying to convince him to some with super why should I give those he does the voice terrible but also awesome. It's the Free Fitty, Oh yeah it is. But by the way, shout out to the great R and B singer Lou Rawls who provides the voice for Token. That the song that he sings that Miss Colorado Pageants actually not only a Lou Rual song, but it's Lou Rules recording. Yeah, the song Lou Rules would be dead a year after this, actually yeah yeah, but he did have a lovely voice. And I like that whole presentation as well. The way whoo and he sort of like he winks to the crowd. Yeah, yeah, he's a real showman. Cross the Token. It's good stuff. I liked Carton when he's introducing Token to the office and yes, have you seen the fountain? In the fountain and they all get really glad handy when they first go. It's like takes them down to the basement if you've seen the fan. But then standing car com it's like Token, you made a smart movement. It's like you know when forfing a discount you know just takes off, takes off, and you know we get the call from you know, c A or something like that, and we go over like Dan, you've been doing great man, But time to hit the bid leagues. Buddy, By the way, bring that match. But I thought that was really funny. So yeah, that's some of my favorite ones. I liked. Obviously it's racist, but not the shitty prawn chicken spe not not the pny he's upset about everything. No, no, not a shitty pron That's okay.
Speaker 2: Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Speaker 3: All right, trivia time. Well, that's my first question is gonna be what was this shitty? What's your first question? My first question is what is the address of a super awesome talent agency? Your dress? It's cut, it's basement. I don't know what is it? It is two double three four five abania. There's Los Mexicanos. There we go. Yeah, you find it on the on the bills, okay, on the on the posts leput of Brantown. What is the size of the height of the fountain in CEA's offices. Oh, it's it's two stories toy story story.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. How many entrants are there in the Miss Colorado pageant sixteen? There at sixteen? Yeah? They kind of mock them, don't they drawing them? Not as few as they could be they're not that hot. Yes, sorry, miss Colorado. How long has someone waited in line to audition for American Idol? I want to close to what you just said. What I just answered. Oh see my memory is already. I wasn't really listening to how many its like eleven hours? It's fifteen, eighteen hours, seventeen seventeen hours, he said fifteen the one before then he went to eighteen two ahead, anyone one ahead? Fifteen eighteen eleven numbers are random. My last question for you because I've want to go through When Wingers appearing on the Contender, she's up against the boxer named Marcello. Where's Marcelo from? Does Mexico somewhere? He's from Del Fuego, Mexico, which I don't know what dell stands for. Maybe is it that I think? So let's just go with that. Okay, I'll look at del fuego, which means the fire I think of the Okay, So Guillermo del Toro, noted film director who we were going to cover on the movie Guy with Mountin Davis, but we decided not to. He is Guillermo of the Bull. How about that? There we go. It's pretty rare, isn't it? Of the bull? Maybe it's just the bull, Gimo the bull? How about that the bull? It sounds tough.
Speaker 4: This show is brought to you by the four figure discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. Speaking of that boxing fight, though, as you're saying, she doesn't say anything wing, it was incredibly uncomfortable when you think she's gonna actually just take the punches, kind like Home of Simpsons, like she got a good chit on.
Speaker 3: Her, but then she just proceeds to get the sheet. Oh no, Well, well you know Marcello's got the director from so Huru. Yes, indeed, I love cheesypoofs. You love cheesypoofs. Weed didn't need cheesypoofs. Weedy name.
Speaker 4: All right, it's time to read out some cheesypoof names. Mister Davis started with the lovely Katie g got a good chin on her. If he punches that girl, I reckon.
Speaker 3: We would never would. We would stand in front of anyone trying to, you know, throw a punch at that.
Speaker 4: Cady j Indeed, Glenn Take, Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zap Pruitt, Shaneymaker, Elliott j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sewn DV Pete Anderson, Timothy burs And Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned, Flood Bellow, Windo Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath will Be, adri McCloud, March Eleven Ginger and Pickle, Preston Murray, to Lee, Enriquez, Decklan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Sheppard, Dooe, Reading, sac Day, Pretzel's me Nowly Gavin Lane, Damie Miller, Charlie Joe and Abigail B Sharp Carter.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we take hits for the rest of you guys, but we would certainly tell. We would say saying no stop. It would say hey, don't calm down, Hey, hey hey come on man, leave them alone. Yes, that's what we do.
Speaker 4: All right, So the original edit of Wing was March twenty third, two thousand and five. Top films at US buck Office. Mister Davis, I'm sure. I'm sure there are at least three of them, March of two thousand and five, What do you reckon? I'm pretty sure War the World's come out in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Didn't it, I imagine? So, yeah, it was a year we had cinemas. I'm sure that there were movies in them. The number one film at the US box office was a sequel to a horror movie that you like, that you really like. Because Robusts has been knocked off for the top position, it's now number two, and the Pacifier has now gone from two to three. This sequel has come in with a bang and taken top spot at the US box office, equal to a film that no one really talks about anymore. Spawned off like three sequels this film. Only the first one was popular, second one was just kind of like what's going on here? And that was the end of it. I want to say, is it Texas changeaw massing? No, it was original concept. Oh TVs girls crawling out of them? Oh it's ring time. Yeah, the Ring Too, The Ring two starring co starring guys mate Simon Baker was Nami. What's in number two? I believe she was? Yes, I mean two days number one the US box office when this aired. How about that? Written and directed by Trey Parker. We're talking about Wing now, not the Ring Too. That was not written, of course, I don't know.
Speaker 4: So the rest school, there's a special announcement and Missus Garrison is saying how Token has returned from Colorado Star contest.
Speaker 2: Tolkien sings as Coursey sings, He's black.
Speaker 5: Tokien is going to sing in front of a huge audience at the Miss Colorado pageant in Danver, and for doing it, he's going to be paid two hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two hundred dollars. Now. Of course, as a woman, I'm a bit against those showvinistic pageants. But I hope that you children take a moment today to congratulate Token for being so spatial.
Speaker 4: But the kids are annoying the cafeteria. You're like, what what you think it's gonna be a racist line here, because like, why are we have offered these things? It comes I know why you think's gonna say because were't white? It's like no, because what are talented?
Speaker 3: Talented? So basically what they're starting from the get go here is the talent. Talent agents are untalented. They just mooch off of those. We have the talent. We're not the artistic side, we're the thinking so we're smart to be talented. We're too smart to be talented. It's a great line. Can't suggest that they be a token's agent. They get ten percent of whatever he makes. And then they have the montages and putting together their agency, which is super awesome talent agency. Then all go to get some suits. Sitting up the office, they're still the fountain from someone's backyard, setting up the flyers and whatnot. And I just love how it ends with them as all giving the high fires for each other, like, yeah, did a great job here, Look at this office. It's great. I can I say that the ragging on talent agents a bit here, And I'm sure there are a lot who are scamed me an opportunistic or maybe and just you know, ship at their job. You've got. I'm pretty sure that there are some long running relationships between actors and their agents or you know, creatives and their agents. You said that. I mean, when you're sort of I think, particularly when you're starting out and you're sort of navigating the business, can be from what I hear, can be kind of murky waters you're alive, Yeah, exactly. So if you've got someone who's in your corner who sort of knows the ins and ouncement, could be pretty valuable resource. But they see Token. They're all looking around the corner and see Token looking at the sign. So he sends the boys back to the office. You guys look like you're just hanging out in the office. Kenny. You call me when you get when I get there, so I can say that I'm talking to somebody famous. It's a good tactic. It's bungled, but it's a good tactic. It's a lot of people probably do it. Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah. Hears so many stories about a lot of them play for gags. But you know, I think, what's his name, Glenn Powell, the star of the Running Man Now and see Nothing Long coming from straight to streaming coming soon too, vod you. And he's not the first man to say is like, oh, when I was starting out, I would pose as like my agent or something like that. I was like yeah, I would be calling production company, will having Hi. Yeah, I've got Glenn Powell on line for you. I could hold please and yeah, and then you still put a voice to do that, and then he would get on the line. Thanks, Brad or whoever is my is my assistant. Yeah, just to pretend you've got a little bit of juice appear special correct. Yeah, they entered the office. He's got taken with him. Did you notice the fountain? Pretty nice.
Speaker 4: Cartman and says without a rep you're in danger of being taken advantage of this. Whe Kenny then calls Unfortunately Carton pretends he's talking to Abraham Lincoln, which was a good running bit that he kept choosing dead people. Yeah, but they're the people that he would know or heard of. Its like they're super famous. A Lincoln, he's very important.
Speaker 3: You know, Colonel Sam is incredibly important a lot of the Carl's the only one who's sort of notice though, is that's blank faces on the rest of the kids, and you see Carl's eyebrows.
Speaker 2: Yep, Yes, yes, I think that's a good idea. Guys. Let's give Michael Jordan a call about dead Now where were we we were at? Why I should give you ten percent.
Speaker 5: Look, Token, here's the bottom line. You're gonna start having a lot of offers coming at you from all directions. A media storm is about to hit you, and you can't handle it on your own. Nobody can eminem justin Timberlake HOODI they all have agents. You need somebody to manage it all for you. This thing in Denvers is just the crust.
Speaker 2: Token. With our support, you can have the whole pie. Well, I guess that makes sense, all right.
Speaker 5: Uh, if we could just get you to sign right here, Welcome to the teen Tolkien, can't he Token just signed with us from now on, we are an entertainment team. Token, you just do all the singing, all the performing, and all the entertaining and leave the.
Speaker 2: Rest to us.
Speaker 3: Now that was a recurring bits. Yeah, the rest to us. And we're now at the pageant and the sixth ten of the most Beautiful Women in Colorado over there, and Token's time to sing. It does so well. It's the stage presence of the kids. Yeah, the boys.
Speaker 4: They overhears someone in the crowd saying we need to get into singing that kids by myth. So they offer the offer the card from to sing there and this is what we get. Garrison's line between us girls and I think that's my badge. Wetter than a black man singing and token. After the show's finished, he's been given his two hundred dollars and he pays them. They have say cut, they get twenty bucks. They can't believe they're stoked.
Speaker 3: But then the l a agent from CEA, he arrives and swoops up token and takes them away for a limo ride limit and it's just business guys which up. Because of this moment, you kind of feel like, at the end, you deserve this token, screwing these guys over well doing it so sort of yeah, Cavalili, Yes, absolutely. I like the way that the agent, it was kind of styles a little bit like Jerry Maguire is kinda yeah yep, I said that slick agent look to him.
Speaker 4: The boys are now sat in their office. I guess hard work doesn't pay off. It's going to be an unemployed drug addict for the rest of my life. But then mister Luke Kim arrives and he wants some representation for his wife Wing.
Speaker 3: She sings.
Speaker 4: You know, she's a good singer. She's great singer back home. I've used the Chinese uffia're smoking into the country and we want to kick off her career here. So she sings Dancing Queen for him.
Speaker 2: Well, what you did? We're sorry, dude, but getting her career off the ground would take too much work for us. Ah, that's too bad. She just got accepted to be on America isold in Los Andres. But I can't take her because I have to mind a restaurant. You've already done all the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they say they pay a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Sir, We would love to sign your wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, we'll go to La with your wife. All she has to do is go on the show, do all the performing, make all the money and leave the rest to us.
Speaker 4: I wonder if this Asian guy in malbur because he always sings Abba songs, is he meant? Is he trying to be in the Australian wingo who knows better because he always sings Dancing Queen and whatnot? So she sings Dancing Queen here, and the boy said that it's gonna be too hard her crew off the ground, mister Luke Kim says, But she signed a deal with American idolog she's gonna be paid one thousand dollars like, oh okay, so you do all the work and leave the rest to us. So they're on their way to Ala and they call Luke Kim from the bus let him know they're only four hours away from getting there. And your wife does your wife eat anything or anything?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, she's a delicate little flowers. She does needs much to eat. And he has to talk to her and he screams at her. What do you think, what's the reason for having him treat her like shit? What was the what was the gag there?
Speaker 3: Now? No? I think does he's just sort of horrible husband? Well that he's he's essentially bought a product. Yeah, he's treating her productating everyone else. Everything is transactional in this yeah. Yeah. The the deals between the mafia, the Chinese mafia, the triads and the agents and all that kind of stuff. Everyone just yeah, products to be bought and sold.
Speaker 4: But the Chinese mafia arrived to City Walk and they said they haven't received their money. He was supposed to pay ten thousand dollars to smuggle her into the country, and he says, look, I'll get it one She's in she'll make the money very very soon. They say she has to come work in Ala for us and a massage parlor, and she's paid it all back, and he tells them that she's in Alabama. They don't believe him, so they said turn around, and then he starts throwing all of his shitty chicken and he shitty beef onto the floor, but not the shitty prawn, but the shitty praun.
Speaker 3: It's a shitty shrimp.
Speaker 4: Shitty shrimp, shty shrimp. We say prawn here, we do, yes, And he reveals that she's going to be an American Idol, So the Chinese mafia leave. They're going to go there and get her. And the boys arrived just in time for the American Idol auditions. But there's now a huge line as a guy's been waiting for like seventeen days. Were he with wing like the wing wings, you know, the wing and the boys please please let us in there, we'd have to wait in line. And CAMPANMB pretends he's getting a call from Colonel Colonel Sanders. Yes, and they they give up. Look, it's not going to happen whatever, But then they overhear another guy so is this guy s a producer of the show or whatnot, because some a talent agency has called this guy to say, we can't be contested for your show. Now, yeah, I guess this guy's like that.
Speaker 3: I think he's like a show runner whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, finds that finds people to compete on the show. But for a show called The Contender, there was the Contender, an actual show.
Speaker 3: Contender's an actual show ran from, according to Wikipedia, March three, two thousand and five to January seven, two thousand and nine on NBC and ESPN, but been canceled before this episode aired. Yeah, okay, yeah, each seasons by Sevester Sloane correct created by Mark Burnett, who's kind of like that. You know, he's I think you created a survivor and a couple of others. Okay, yeah, he's the the dick Wolf of reality shows. Correct. Yeah, a pretty big deal Mark Burnette. But presented by Sylvesta, Sloan Sugar, Ray Leonard, Tony Danzer. Wow, yeah, who's the boss. We're very about to find out how Zima did the theme music or right on Zimmer? Yeah? Really each each season of the series. But there was a group of boxes as they compete with one another in an elimination style competition while their lives and relationships with each other and their families are depicted. This sounds like The Ultimate Fighter, Yeah, but for boxing. But it's like yeah, or like American Arnold but for boxing, because it's like, Hey, you're on the journey, the journey. It's about the journey.
Speaker 4: But now Wing is unfortunately on the contender and it ain't gonna go well for her because she's taken on.
Speaker 3: Who Marcelo from Del Foyo Mexico. He beats the ship out of her. We have Sylvester Stallone in the corner cheering her on doing good. But I love that he has a translator with him at at all.
Speaker 1: They're good, Mister Stallone says, he's sorry it couldn't go better for you back there.
Speaker 3: Oh, thanks real good.
Speaker 1: Mister Stallone thinks her singer has a lot of talent. He really likes her voice. You know, the way she vocalizes the melody brings tears to his eyes.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Missa Sdone. We just die she wasn't a better back shirt.
Speaker 1: Eh Ooh, mister Stallone wants Wing to sing at his son's wedding. You doo. He'll pay her four thousand dollars for a thousand dollars woo, be it disaddressed tomorrow two pm sharp and don't be late.
Speaker 2: Who he won't good goodoo.
Speaker 4: And they all celebrate seeing who let the dogs out? And they realize, wait a minute, where is wing? And we cuts to her being dragged away by the Chinese mafia. But they think that it's the CIA, don't they They do, but we need to find it for the CIA, does I.
Speaker 3: Don't if I want to, Yeah, feel praid to actually cut this bit out. I don't want to bring the mood down too much. But you know they're talking about us singing the sun Saloon saying, oh you can sing it my son's wedding. Yeah he's dead, right, Yeah, unfortunately he is. Sage Stallone died a few years after this in twenty twelve. He said, I don't know. I mean, I remember hearing about this when it happened, and I don't know. It was just really saddened by it because you story about it. He just seemed like a really cool kid. He was like, I don't know, probably excuse he's into the same ship that I was. Apparently really like horror movies and all that kind of stuff, and he was trying to sort of make his own, carve his own identity away from being a slice Loan's kid and all that. So I don't know just what just a half disease. Apparently there were no suspicious circumstances or anything like that. He's been dead for four days before being found, no drugs detected. Just imagine would have been just really tough sort of growing up as Stallone's kid.
Speaker 4: It will be because you feel like you're just expected to be tough, right because you Stallone's kid. Yeah, it's I remember when travolted some passed away as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was tragic. Way to bring the mood down. Man, We don't we don't have to keep this in and it's kept in.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, I mean we shused just have the shiit kick own where the moves down anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, let's try and lighten things up.
Speaker 4: But they try to lighten themselves up by you know, they excited the fact that they're gonna make it make four hundred bucks because she's now getting being off at four thousand dollars at the wedding.
Speaker 3: But they don't know where she is.
Speaker 4: The Chinese mafia has dragged her into the into the limo, but they think it's the c AA, but they've fortunately dropped the cards and then they know where they live. They're going to where where their officers are. They're going to get them. Now back from the commercial and the mafia have said to wing the god all tied up, and they say, you've signed your life away when he came here. It's the age of business. Nobody has the guts to stop us. So basically, we're smoking you in and then you become our slave, you become our property, or.
Speaker 3: You signed to us. We take ten percent of your earnings.
Speaker 4: There, nobody's going to stop us. Of course, we cut to the boys arriving. They just walked straight past the guards. I shut the fuck up that balls. Yeah, my balls got scared of them at all. And I feel like the guards at this point are kind of like, what the hell it'd be confusing, wouldn't it do We just let them in and kind of see what happens when they go inside. So they get inside and they see a massive out and they're taken aback by it, and then.
Speaker 3: She's out.
Speaker 4: How about some goddamn business. But then they get shot at very much like Scarface and Cartman. You want to play rough fires back at them, doesn't know how to hold the gun or anything like that. Kyle then throws the toy car which gets on home alone antics where they still in the car and go out the window.
Speaker 3: If you had the opportunity to shoot, like a semi automatic rifle or an automatic rifle, so you went to the States or something, and would you jump at the opportunity to do.
Speaker 4: So, depends, like a shooting depends on the situation. It's just like old mate uncle Jeff at my friend's uncle who just said, I've got an automatic in the backshit, you want to.
Speaker 3: Have a go? But no thanks, But I was at a range then, yeah, where it's all safe. I have an American cousin, shouted Carolyn. Carolyn, Yeah, she and her husband Neil live in Austin, Texas, and apparently apparently had guns. And I think when my nephew Rory went over, he did a bit of shooting. I think when ROSSI, my brother went out, he definitely went did some shooting. And I'm not sure if they got like semi automatic stuff like that, but apparently had handguns and things like that, and you know you could go out on the out on the range and squeeze off a few rounds. I'm like, I'd probably be down for that. I've shot many guns. My dad has owns like twelve guns. Yeah, like one of the man. I've done my share of rifle shooting and shotgun and clay target and all that kind of bness, but never I've only shot a handgun once. Okay, I think I've shot a handgun actually, yeah, just rifles. Yeah, but yeah, if the opportunity to like get like an AAR fifteen or something like that, I'd be like, I'd be interested to see what this would be like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, it's I think about being in America. It feel like, I mean, now I might as well might as well. Yeah, I went in Rome, see your own.
Speaker 3: Canyon, see you Mount rushmore gun, go to five guys, and I actually had five guys in Melbourne. You tell me it wasn't bad. It was really good, very feeling. It was very expensive, but very feeling. Your your walt was amptibit, your belly was for correct. Yeah, that's trade off. This show was brought to you by the four figure discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus pod us, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, talking Sifould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. But they find Kenny dead. Unfortunately, don'torry, you didn't die for nothing. We're gonna get rich.
Speaker 4: Then the mob Boss has a gun to Wing's head and he said, and they all said, look, we're in the same business here, you know, we're not so different, you and I and the boy said we had a contract first, Like, no, she she belongs to us. We had we had a contract first. And then Stand interrupts and its usually it's Kyle, used to be Kyle saying I've learned something today. But Stand comes and he says, we're not talking about a product here, it's a person, and we're all just leaching. We're caught up in this business that treats people like commodities. And mob Boss agreeks He's like, yep, you know what we are, and it just turns the corner. It's like, we should be training here like this all the all the contracts are null and void.
Speaker 3: This is where they're saying, mooching off the hopes and dreams of others, dirty and perversions of Cartman's the only one who still wants in doing it.
Speaker 4: We cut to the wedding and Wing sings there and then Mafia all there with Luke Kim as well, and they see.
Speaker 3: Token unfortunately waiting tables.
Speaker 4: He's trying to makes some money so we can get back home again, goes Talent Agencies apparently don't really do all that much. Then the Mafia says that you know what, she sings like a delicate little flower, and Lukey screams at her in gibberish, indeed gibberish, and we get a promo for her website. And as the end of the episode, so I think said, I don't feel like they're taking the piss out of her. If you don't like her stuff, then that's on you. They're not saying what she's doing is bad, really, they kind of I think they're using.
Speaker 3: The fact that this is not a traditionally sweet singing voice. Yeah, for comic effect. But yeah, I mean, I don't know, I just it's hard to explain, but it just feels like there's an affection for wing in there. I don't know, and it's using that using this song sing at the very end, which is just a pretty simple song. It's actually was written originally for Sesame Street, did you know? Really? Yeah? It was originally performed on Sesame Street in the seventies I think, And then the Carpenters did a version and that apparently charted really well in Barbara strausand also did a cover of it.
Speaker 4: My mom's favorite song of all time is Please Miss the Postman's by the Carpenter They did cover of it, Please Miss the Postman. The version of it is my mom's favorite song of all time.
Speaker 3: Carpenters were pretty rad. Yeah, yeah, they get you're looking at it such. She's just rocking the drums. You're like, oh yeah, you're a legend. Oh yeah, Karen Carpenter on the skin, just fucking going wild. It's awesome. Yeah. And they had some really sweet songs. Yeah, I mean, well it's the Simpsons. Why do you so? It's largest song close to you. It's a lovely song. Yeah, perfect, But say is our review of Wing Quick Quick cyber Cybar. Do you know why Sesame Streets?
Speaker 1: I didn't?
Speaker 3: You know? Gone my whole life, Sesame Street has been a thing. It's like, why is it called Salame Street? I decided to look this up. Do you know why it's called Sesame Street? I did once look this up, and I've forgotten about it. What is it? Because they wanted to create a sort of an air of magic. Anything can happen nor Sesame Street. And what did magician say? Or what was it? Open cess? And it was something open sesame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's got the nice liiteration sesame sesame Street. Ryan's off the tongue that does Sesame Street sounds. As a kid, you always thought it was a real place, and so I won one day. Yeah, I'm going to go vis as Sesame Street. I feel like it's just like a waste of opportunity here. Some thing part me to buy the rights of Sesame Street and build a Sesame Street, have the puppets there hanging and just have the puppeties behind the shelves battering with the kids.
Speaker 3: It'd be fucking great. It would be great. I think the people who created it were very sort of civic minded in terms of pop and they were very much we want this to be education to rogers. Yeah, and that kind of as opposed. I mean, I'm sure they made a few bucks off, but hopefully they did. But yeah, I think the design was more Yeah, this is for learning. Yeah and still going to this day. Good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Indeed, the next episode, oh of gone down to South Bank is best Friends Forever. So this is the one that won them an Emmy in two thousand and five, the Terry Charvo case, who apparently she passed away a mere hours before no It aired merely hours before Charvo passed away and received positive reviews from critics for its portrayal of the media frenzy that surrounded the Charvo case.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that more when we talk about.
Speaker 4: The episode's Best Friends Forever, a pretty iconic episode of south Back. Next week here, I'm going down this out. But thank you guys for tuning in each and every week here.
Speaker 3: To the show. We do appreciate all of your support. We love to hear from you.
Speaker 4: You want to do a mailbag episode before the year is over, so south Parkmailbag at gmail dot com please write in and if you do have a spared dollar redo in your pocket. One dollar per month helps keep the lots on here at going down to South Park. So send your dollars through by supporting us on Patreon. And if you do have five dollars and m I think your access to over one hundred hours of exclusive content, So go ahead and do it. Our commentary of Bigger, Longer Run cuts on there if you want to check that out. Indeed, well you recently brought it on four K I did, Oh, I've Got, I bought it and then said put it away for Freesmith. Okay, so I haven't watched to Get, but that is our review of Wing. Next week is Best Friends Forever, mister Davis.
Speaker 3: Any final words for those incredible listeners out there, Ah yeah, just like subscribe, consider becoming a patron and leave the rest of us