Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock straight up. Welcome to your Monday morning wake up call. It is April twenty first, of course, the day after Easter. Hope you had a nice weekend. We're wakemup to news that Hope Francis has died. Kind of a sad thing, although you know what I will say, eighty eight years it's a good run. A lot of people don't get that one. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. As I just mentioned, the Pope has died. The Vatican announced the death of Pope Francis early this morning, after he made a surprise appearance from the balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica on Easter Sunday. Pope Francis was eighty eight. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to join us at five point thirty five with the latest. As a billion Catholics around the world say goodbye to the leader of their church. La Mayor Karen Bass will deliver her State of the City address today at City Hall. Her office says she'll be talking about wildfire recovery, a nearly billion dollar budget gap, the homeless crisis, public safety, and how federal policies are impacting city business. Several trees in downtown LA have been cut down, apparently by vandals using chainsaws. The trees were cut down on several streets over the weekend. LA Mayor Bass's office as the city's trying to figure out who did it, assess the damage, and get new trees planted quickly. Also coming up on wake Up Call, the US and Iran have held another round of talks. ABC's Jordana Miller's going to tell us if they made any progress on a deal to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon. On again, off again. Deportations are on hold again. ABC Stephen Portnoy's going to join us before the top of the hour to tell us about the Supreme Court's latest decision. And here's one for you. Ever wonder if the future is going to be like a Terminator or the last of Us, or is it going to be more like Meet the Robinsons. Well, we're going to be talking with an author and futurist, Kevin Sirilli. That's coming up at five point twenty. Looking forward to that, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Bells have told across Rome following news from the Vatican that Pope Francis has died. He was last seen yesterday on Easter Sunday, blessing the faithful from the balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica and driving in an open car through the assembled crowd in Saint Peter Square. Father James Martin says there is a lot of sadness.
Speaker 4: Today but also great till gratitude for all he was able to accomplish, and then also this understanding of how hard he pushed himself, particularly at the end. This was a very holy man and a very hard worker.
Speaker 1: At the same time, the Pope spent more than a month in the hospital earlier this year because of respiratory problems. He had double pneumonia. Pope Francis was eighty eight. Vice President Vance met with the Pope at the Vatican yesterday. Bossion as, how are you find yourself out to her?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 1: Ethic you can have mister to your father Vanci's. His heart goes out to the millions of Christians around the world who loved the pope. French President and Menuel Montcralin says Francis always sided with the most vulnerable and the most fragile, and said a great pain would be felt in France and around the world. Israeli President Isaac Herzog called Francis a man of deep faith and boundless compassion who fostered ties with the Jewish war world. La Mayor Bass is about to break down her budget plan for the city.
Speaker 5: Maribas is set to deliver her State of the City address, where she's expected to outline her plan to tackle a nearly one billion dollar budget shortfall. She'll also unveil her twenty twenty five twenty twenty six budget, which may include laying off more than fifteen hundred city workers and cutting vacant jobs. The city faces mounting challenges from slowed housing construction and a struggling entertainment industry to fall out from the Palisades fire. Heatherbrooker KAFI News.
Speaker 1: We'll have the details on the state of the city addressed throughout the day right here. On KFID space supposed to happen about noon. Police have shot and killed a man who appeared to have shot at a police helicopter in Resita. LAPD Sergeant Bruce Borihan says officers responding to an assault with a deadly weapon call yesterday run.
Speaker 6: Into this apartment complex behind us here on Victory Boulevard. Sometime in that when the suspect was in that apartment complex, the airship was overhead and reported that that suspect actually fire appeared to fire at leadership.
Speaker 1: Police confronted the man in the rear alley of the apartment complex a short time later. That's when the shooting happened. Time to say good morning too. ABC's jordonah Miller, Good morning, John, Jordana. I'm curious we're going to be talking about Iran in the US, but is there any response from Israel on the passing of Pope Francis this morning?
Speaker 7: Well, Israeli officials from the president on down are putting out statements, you know, you know, wish saying they're expressing their condolences over the death of the Pope. The President of Israel, Isaac Hert Hertzog called him, you know, a great man who dedicated his life to the poor, to the needy, and to really developing interfaith relationships with Jews and other religious minorities.
Speaker 3: Remember the community.
Speaker 7: Here, the Christian community here in in Jerusalem, the Catholic community is very small, and it's been dwindling for a few decades, and that has made it ever more reliant on Rome and the Pope and the tension from the from the Vatican. So they are there's a lot of grief from local clergy, the representatives of the Vatican, as well as the faithful here. So it's a somber day for Jerusalem, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, thanks for that update, Jardana. Okay, so the reason that we're talking this morning was because Iran and the US have held another round of talks on Iran's nuclear program. Where were the talks and did anything come out of them?
Speaker 3: The talks were held in Rome.
Speaker 7: We don't know a lot of the details, but we do know that the United States and Aron are saying that progress was made. There are already h you know, intentions to talk again in about another week. And those are all very good signs because remember before before these talks began, just a couple of weeks ago, Iran was really flip flopping on whether they would actually be interested in talks, right, And there were semantics about whether these were direct talks, whether they were indirect talks. Because Oman is there also as a mediator. I don't think that matters as much as the fact that the sides are talking and now they say they're going to work on carving out a framework for this deal. We know what some of the big issues are going to be, even though we don't know the details. So, for example, will President Trump and the United States give a Ron a certain percentage to which they can enrich uranium? Right under the former deal with President Obama they could enrich just over three percent, right, Will that be the case again or will some say geranium at all? And what will happen to the There's a lot of enriched material up to sixty percent, right that Aron did in kind of defiance of the international community, which is just a step away from weaponized levels around ninety percent. What's going to happen to all of that in rich uranium? Is it going to be destroyed? Is it going to be given to a third party?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Another big question is the length of this deal. Will it be in place for twenty years, twenty five years, thirty years. We know President Trump and others were very critical of what many considered the kind of short sunset clauses on the Obama deal. You know that it would have been in place for just ten years, twelve years, thirteen years. So how long this deal will be you know, will be you know, in force. That's another issue that we'll be discussed.
Speaker 1: Sounds like they have a lot, a lot to work out, right.
Speaker 7: And it's not.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's a deal that is going to be hammered out, you know, in a month. You know, it's going to take some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And do they have plans to meet again?
Speaker 9: They do.
Speaker 7: The plan is to meet again, I think this coming weekend, though we're not sure what the where the location is. It was you know again the last round was in Rome, but Death of thely to be Rome again. But we'll we'll have to see. I think we have to recognize that Iran is in a very vulnerable and weak position and so despite all of their threats, and we're not going to do this, and we're not going to do that. And we'll retaliate to see Americans bomb US. You know, Iran really there, they have to negotiate with the United States if they want the regime, the Iranian regime led by the Supreme Leader, to survive, because otherwise they're really putting the regime at risk, right if there's an attack or really tight sanctions that bring the economy down. I mean, Ron has its back against the wall.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well we will be watching. Thank you for giving us that insight, so we know what they're at least starting to talk about. And we'll be following this one, all right, jordanah Miller, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Namy.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Supreme Court has temporarily blocked the Trump administration from deporting more Venezuelans, it says are criminal gang members. Hundreds of men from Venezuela and El Salvador have already been deported, including Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who the government says was deported by mistake, but one of his tattoos is gang related. Borders are Tom Holman says it's a legitimate claim.
Speaker 3: You can't ignore tattoo.
Speaker 1: That's one more factor that leads you to believe maybe the gang member.
Speaker 3: It's just not based on tattoos. It's based on a lot of other things, but tattoos.
Speaker 1: Many Wellman says, no one is removed just because of a tattoo, so there is more to it. Democrats are calling for the resignation of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth following reports of a second chat on the Signal app where sensitive information was discussed. ABC's Lewis Martinez says this one included flight schedules for the fighter jets involved in a military attack against the Huties in Yemen.
Speaker 10: We've confirmed from two people familiar with the chat that yes, the Pete Hegseth actually used his personal phone to set up this signal chat originally during the confirmation process. It included some family members like his wife, like his brother who works out the Penagon, and his personal attorney who now works at the Pentagon as well.
Speaker 1: The White has dismissed the report yesterday as a non story, insisting that no classified information was shared. Charles wrapping up in Arizona in a conspiracy case against a woman already convicted along with her husband of killing her two children in Idaho. Laurie Valo dabl is on trial, this time for allegedly conspiring to mur or her estranged husband. ABC's Jorene Shaw says day Bell's expected to rest her case today without calling any witnesses.
Speaker 11: Mari has maintained she is not guilty, instead claiming her brother Alex killed Charles Valow in self defense. Alex not around to tell his version of the story because he passed away shortly after from natural causes.
Speaker 1: Dabell is acting as her own attorney. Closing arguments are expected this week. Oakland has a new mayor elect. Former Congresswoman Barbara Lee has defeated former Oakland City council member Lauren Taylor, who conceded the race on Saturday. Seventy eight year old Li says she's grateful for her support.
Speaker 12: Thank you first of.
Speaker 13: All, and we love Oakland right, We love in Oakland right.
Speaker 1: Lee takes the job after the recall of former Oakland mayor Sheng Tao, who faces federal corruption charges. Okay, so, girls in space just not going away. Katy Perry and Lauren Sanchez and Gail King and a few others all went up and did their space thing and then talked about how they are changing the world with their with their three minutes of weightlessness backlash, and yeah, the backlash isn't going away. I thought, you know, it's gonna be kind of flame out really quickly. But then I was on Instagram and found this.
Speaker 2: Tell me, did you guys have a lot of fun? Do you finally realize and understand how much of haya Old Chicks careers off?
Speaker 1: Fade?
Speaker 6: Cantie?
Speaker 1: How completely?
Speaker 12: Don't you are.
Speaker 1: Too much too hot?
Speaker 2: Just moart out of.
Speaker 9: Celebrities folk love yourself, nobody came, nobody care.
Speaker 1: It goes on for a lot longer than that. And I don't think he needed to make the comment about the Old chicksen but because I think Katy Perry's still kind of rocking it right right, Okay? Anyway, Uh, it's probably it fade away. Yeah, it hasn't yet. In his last appearance to the faithful, Pope Francis waved to the crowd from the balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica. The Pope gave the crowd his blessing and wish them happy Easter. The Vatican announced the Pope's passing early this morning, Pope Francis was eighty eight. Senator Chris Van Hollins's all Americans are threatened if the deportation of a man living in Maryland is allowed to stand show. Hey, Otani has rejoined the team after a brief paternity leave. The Dodgers superstar and his wife Welcome to baby Girl. On Friday. Otani went over three in his return yesterday, with walking a strikeout in the Dodgers one nothing win over Texas. Let's say good morning now to author and futurist Kevin Surially.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Kevin, Hey, thanks for having me. How's your future going these days?
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna tell us.
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 9: Are you? Are you polite to your artificial intelligence? When you talked to Siri and elect so, do you say please and thank you?
Speaker 1: I do not have a good relationship with Siri.
Speaker 9: Do you want to talk about it? Why not? What's going on with you in Siri?
Speaker 1: Well, she and I are not on speaking terms because I used to ask your questions and she always gave me stupid answers, and so I just don't talk to her.
Speaker 9: Alexa and well, I respect that you guys are fine. Okay, So sixty seven percent of Americans. And I write about this on me to Future, about subsec dot com. But sixty seven percent of Americans say that they are polite to their artificial intelligence. Now why because some folks are just doing it because they think that they should be nice to AI and it's good manners cultural, I guess. But the others are in the back of their mind they're concerned about like a robot uprising that somehow if AI comes back or is able to beat humans, that they're going to somehow. Remember who said please and who said thank you? But Sam Altman, he's the CEO of Open AI with Jones Chatchipt, he said, stop being so polite to our official intelligence. Stop it because it's costing tens of millions of dollars in electricity. So all of these Americans who are writing these very nice questions or asking very nice questions, the brain of AI is just saying, get to the point. Already, artificial intelligence is run on electricity, and these data centers that America is building all across the country is really taking shape, and a lot of its power by nuclear energy, by the way. But these data centers, we're in the middle of an electrical revolution because of how much Americans are now relying on artificial intelligence. So stop saying please and thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, because stop saying please and thank you or you're going to have blackouts.
Speaker 9: Correct. Yeah, well that's the very you know, exactly. Yeah, that's the extreme version of it. And I think when you look at just from a modern standpoint and where this is all headed the humanoid robotic space, which of course is the next competition between the United States and China and the digital frontier. Over the weekend, there were twenty one humanoid robots that ran in the Beijing half marathon, but only six of them finished the time. The fastest robot finished the half marathon in two hours and forty minutes, which, by the way, is very slow. The average age of a seventy year old running half marathon is two hours and forty minutes, so it's not that fast. But I think this is cheating. And I don't know how you feel about this, amy, but they changed their battery three times, So you don't get to change your battery when you run a half marathon if you're a human let alone takes steroids. So why is it that a humanoid robot gets to change their battery and somehow still get to finish. I think the Chinese Communist Party is cheating with these robots.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to know about the ones that didn't finish. Did they just run out of gas, juice, whatever? Or do they follow over what happened?
Speaker 9: Just fell out and collapse? Can you imagine they sell over busted, thud dead?
Speaker 1: Okay? So, Kevin, because you're a futures so you study things that are going to happen. And I was Kno brought us back with music from Back to the Future, and I was kind of laughing about that because all this stuff that they did in nineteen eighty whatever, and when they said, here, we're in the future in twenty twenty five, we actually have some of that stuff now.
Speaker 9: It's pretty cool, and I think you're absolutely correct. I mean, I'm a millennial and I'm a part of the last generation that can remember life before the Internet. Gen Z is the last generation that can remember life before artificial intelligence. Folks that are born today are candidly the last generation that we'll remember life before quantum computing, which is going to make AI look like a calculator from your TI eighty three and geometry class in high school. But I interviewed Major General Gagnad, who was one of the top generals at the United States Space Force. I interviewed them last month at the National Press Club, and I said, what do you want folks to know about outer Spacebviously, this is before Katie Perry's eleven minute flight with Gail King up to the space and he said that space security is national security and economic security. And I really dug down on that because the average American most folks don't know this. This will blow your mind. The average American interacts with space more than two dozen times per.
Speaker 3: Day and we don't know about it.
Speaker 9: Right, you don't even know an amy. I mean it's everything from your phone to your computer, to your emails. I mean everything is run via the satellites. So protecting that space domain is just completely imperative. America of Force turns two hundred and fifty years old next year, and I said, where is America General in two hundred and fifty years from now? He know what he said, beyond the moon And that just kind of blew my mind as well, because all of this is headed towards expanding human presence, not just or beyond planet Earth with the intention of protecting the planet as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so well we're not going to be around for that, so let's look into our near future. Like what give us some like some of your predictions of things that we should expect to see in the next ten years.
Speaker 9: Well, I think driverless cars. You're already starting to see that on the road. Have you seen one yet driving driver less cars?
Speaker 1: We have them in La so.
Speaker 9: Exactly, so I think that's going to be way more common. I think you're going to be seeing space jets that are able to land and then drive more private the private aviation space won't look out for that. So if you are on a private jet, I don't fly private, but for folks who do, they be able to land and then drive to their destination. But I also think speed in slight and speed and train is going to get a lot faster as well. Hypersonic flight could be something that comes in our lifetime. Quantum computing in our lifetime to really be able to solve complex diseases and find cures. That's something that really interests me. But space, the space economy, space apply chain, the way that the chemicals and properties here on planet Earth, and the chemistry behind making cures for diseases is different than the chemistry up and outer space. So you're already seeing some health companies send things up via satellites to cook medicine for lack of a better analogy, and then it comes back on Earth and you're able to solve diseases. So that really is interesting as well, not to mention mining the Moon, mining Mars, all of that is really happening as we speak.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Kevin, one last question, because I know we got to let you run, but most movies TV shows that show the future show a really dystopian future. It doesn't look great.
Speaker 9: Thank Is that all possible?
Speaker 1: Or are we going to have a bright future?
Speaker 9: Yes, we're absolutely. I mean, listen, I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a world without the Internet or GPS or uber or my iPhone. So at the end of the day, I mean, technology is good. It's all how we use it and it's what we make it so people don't have to be worried.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, thank you so much, Kevin Thrillly. I would love to talk to you more. Unfortunately we're out of time, so maybe maybe we'll do it again. But appreciate your time this morning, love taking a little look into the future.
Speaker 9: Thank you for having me. Have a gret day, all right.
Speaker 1: Take care. Pope Francis has died. The Vatican announced his passing this morning, hours after he appeared before a crowd of thousands celebrating Easter Sunday at Saint Peter's Basilica. The Trump administration has asked the Supreme Court to allow deportations to continue under the Alien Enemies Act. The Supreme Court proved an emergency request from the ACLU early Saturday to pause the act that allows suspected Venezuelan gang members to be deportive. We're going to be talking more about that with Steven Portnoy in about fifteen minutes. Chinese e commerce sites Tmu and Sheen say they're raising prices. They say the increases, which going to effect April twenty fifth, are a ripple effect of President Trump's tariffs. Tariff's on Chinese products imported to the US are a upping one hundred and forty five percent, sometimes higher at six so five. A handle on the news. The latest call for the Secretary of Defense Pete HEGs death to be removed from his office. Take a look at that right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, we got the news this morning when we woke up that Pope Francis has done.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: The message read like this, Samy. At seven thirty five this morning, the Bishop of Rome, Frances returned to the Home of the Father. Was seven thirty five Vatican time this morning overnight here in the United States, and now begins this process of choosing the next Pope. Francis had been in that position for the last twelve years, had moved the church kind of to the left, you know. He embraced the disenfranchise of the world, the homeless, the refugees, migrants, others, the poor, and much to the chagrin I think of a lot of traditionalists inside the church, he also sort of reached out to the LGBTQ plus community. When someone asked him about a gay priest, he said, who am I to judge? And I think people read a lot into that. So a real legacy that was, in papal terms, relatively short twelve years. I mean, look at John Paul, he was in there for thirty something like that. So now we'll see where this process goes, but it will take a long time and there's a lot of ceremony to come between now and the choosing of the next pope.
Speaker 3: Amy.
Speaker 1: Well, and the good news is we all just watched conclaims that we're very familiar with the process.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Great, if you haven't seen it, it's really I mean, it's fiction and it's it's a story, but it does offer I think, something of a look inside this process of choosing posts. Course, nobody really knows what happens except the seventy odd cardinals who gathered to participate in that. But it is always a gas. But it is an educated guess. So if you haven't seen it, see it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a question for you about because I am not Catholic, I'm Lutheran, but I know that there's about a billion, well one point three nine billion Catholics around the world. What does the pope actually do? Does he set church policy? Is he more of a figurehead? You know?
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, and he sets a tone as much as anything else.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 14: He sits there issuing statements and proclamations and eat aches all day long, and those filtered down to the churches, to the parishes, to individual priests and church members. But yeah, I mean there is a concrete policy that comes with that too. He was responsible for some of the investigations into child abuse allegations within the church. There's a lot of administrative stuff that comes with it. So while he is the figurehead of the Catholic Church, there are some administrative duties that go with that. It's a big job, and he didn't take any time off, and I think it was remarkable. People were shocked that he was in the hospital for five weeks, came close to death several times, eventually was discharged and was well enough to appear at the Easter ceremony yesterday. I mean, the holiest moment in the whole Christian calendar, and he was right there to participate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of like you know what, you know how some people like say, I'm going to make it to this birthday or something like that. Yeah, Easter's the big one for Christians, so well it is. Yeah, so I think, yeah, but I mean, wow, an amazing life. And so we get first of all, we get nine days of mourning, yes, and then they're going to have a big funeral.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 14: The large funeral. I think something like two weeks here the key dates, so you know, after this nine day period of mourning, the funeral comes to seventy cardinals. Seventy cardinals from around the world will be traveling there. Between day four and day six the funeral comes. Then between seven and fifteen days preparations for the conclave, and then at some point, maybe next month sometime, we will have the white smoke coming from the chimney there at the in the choosing of a pope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's and there's so many movies about about that that I feel like I know about the white smoke, you know, between conclave and then there was the Dan Brown movies. Is it Angels and Demons that had that one or I can't remember which one it was, but there was a couple that are really centered around rug the pope and replacing the pope.
Speaker 14: I mean there's there. Take them all. I suppose they are fiction. They are out of someone's imagination, but you know, they may give us an inside glimpse of what happens there.
Speaker 1: Yep. All right, ABC, Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the information. We'll talk to you soon. All right, it is time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 3: Good morning Dan, Good morning Amy. How are you.
Speaker 1: We're doing good, doing good today? So I am looking for your notes because I put Oh they're there. Okay, let's get in your business with Google and the Justice Department.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh is Amy will be on the Washington court room today lawyers for both Google and the Justice Department. They're can be facing off now. The government has accused the tech chine of turning its popular search engine into a monopoly, leading to the Department seeking to force the company to sell its Chrome browser, as well as take steps to increase competition. So obviously a very big day for Google imaginal. We have to sell Chrome. I mean that's unbelievable if you think about it.
Speaker 1: Who would buy it?
Speaker 3: I don't know what would it cost? I mean everybody uses Chrome, right, have to cost a fortune? Yeah, I mean I have no idea whould buy it? I mean, like in the cost, I think billions upon billions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and then I try to think, like when big things like this happen or may have to happen, I wonder does that actually affect you and me? And how does it affect. I guess if you have Google stock, But what are some of the other ripples from something like that happening.
Speaker 3: Oh, you's that's a great point. I mean, obviously a Google stock you would affect that because you know they would lose a huge revenue source there with Chrome. I don't think as a user. You know, you get up, you get on a computer, you click on Chrome. Anything's going to change potentially. But whoever buys it, you know, at first, maybe the stock drops a little because they're going to pay billions of dollars, But you would have to believe that that stock of whichever company would in fact buy it if it's you know, if Google is forced to sell, it would at some point go up. Because we know Chrome is a massive revenue source because of the fact that everybody's using it. So for one, it would be bad that being Google, and for the other, whoever would potentially buy it if you became available, probably very good for the stock. So take a you know, kind of keep an eye on that one to see what ends up happening.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of stock, Boeing stock could be affected because of the trade war between the US and China.
Speaker 3: What's up for that it's right in the toilet anyway, right. Boeing has been in the news for the last couple of years, all for the wrong reasons, but they're not feeling the effects of that trade war, as deliveries of some seven thirty seven jets have now been refused by the Chinese airlines that ordered the planes, which has led to Boeing flying the planes all day to the US, you know, while the airplane maker, though, is in talks of the parent company of state owned Malaysia Airlines for that airline to potentially take over delivery slots left open by those Chinese airlines. China also ordered its airlines to stop receipt of Boeing aircraft and suspend purchases of aviation equipment and parts from US company. So tit for tat with China and the US. No one's blinking at this point.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, okay. And then tariff's giving a cola company an advantage over other cola companies.
Speaker 3: That's right. PEPSI could get a disadvantage because they make almost all their concentrate for its American sodas in Ireland for over fifty years due to the country's low corporate tax right now, the concentrate for Pepsi and Mount Dew is going to be subject to a ten percent tariff. Coca Cola Amy, they make their concentrate for the US market in Atlanta and Puerto Rico. They're not going to be exposed to tariff now. Both companies, though, could be hurt by twenty five percent tariff on aluminum imports for the cans we use. So they've now said they're probably going to now try to have more plastic with bottles and things like that rather than cans if in fact they have to pay at twenty five percent tariff.
Speaker 1: I do not like that. I do not like my diet coke in a plastic bottle. I like it in an aluminum can. Really why, I don't know's it tastes better, it stays colder. I don't know what it is. I just like it in a can better than a bottle, not than a glass bottle. But then I.
Speaker 3: Plastic, I love the I like if I drink of coke, I like it in the plastic. What is a twenty ounce more than a can? You know? So we're completely Obsodamy. We would certainly not survive in the same household exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, Well with that, let's just end this discussion then, Dan Business with Dan Schwartzman from Bloomberg. Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Have a good day, you too, Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. You know, uput two people unarmed?
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: A brother and sister have been stabbed on the beach in Santa Monica. The twenty eight year old sister says she her brother, his girlfriend, and a couple other friends are on the beach early Saturday morning when a couple men began harassing them. They threatened and then stabbed the brother and sister several times with pocket knives. The group was able to run away. Two were taken to the hospital. The brother remains there, the sister's been released. A man who allegedly bit in Orange County police officers died in custody. Fullerton officers responded to a city park early yesterday morning to remove a man who was in the park after hours, but la say the man resisted and bit one of the officers before he was restrained. He later died at the hospital. Attention, all these shoppers, the FEDS have issued a health alert for a certain pork product.
Speaker 2: It might be contaminated with metal. The USDA says sixteen ounce packages of pork carnitas, seasoned and seared pork could contain the fragments. The affected items have use by dates of June thirtieth or July first printed on the side. Shoppers are urged not to eat the product and to throw it away. No injuries have been reported, but the USDA is warning consumers to take caution. Andrew Kirovelak hey if I News.
Speaker 1: Catholics began nine days of morning withinnnouncement that Pope Francis has died. His death announced by the Vatican early this morning, following a surprise appearance from the balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica on Easter Sunday. Pope Francis was eighty eight. Deputies responding to a traffic crash in Palmdale have found two men dead in their car. The Sheriff's Departments's two bodies were found with gunshot wounds in a remote area near Little Rock Reservoir early yesterday morning. Sinners is the top movie at the box office on Easter weekend. The vampire thriller earned about forty five and a half million dollars in its first weekend in theaters. A Minecraft movie was second, still bringing in just over forty one million dollars, and the faith based animated film The King of Kings was in third with seventeen million in ticket sales. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. DHL is responding to the Trump tariffs by canceling deliveries of products worth more than eight hundred dollars. Bill's going to tell you more about that right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen portnoy So. Stephen, the Supreme Court first said the Trump administration could use the Alien Enemies Act, but now says no, not so fast.
Speaker 13: Well, what has happened here is unlike something we've seen in the past. Rapid activity in the courts. On Friday at the District Court, the Circuit Court, ultimately the Supreme Court and the Justices put pause on deportations under the Alien Enemies Act. The order from the Court late Friday into Saturday morning said, quote, the government is directed not to remove any member of the putative class of detainees from the United States until further order of this Court, the putative class being the Venezuelan men who were brought to this facility in northern Texas as a staging area, presumably for their imminent deportations under the Alien Enemies Act. They've been given pieces of paper in English which said that they are subject to removal under the Act, that they have the right to make a phone call. But nowhere in the Act. First of all, none of it is in Spanish, and these men aren't necessarily believed to speak English per se. And no wherein it does it say that they have the right to consult an attorney or to pose a challenge, which the Supreme Court weeks ago said they have the right to do. The Supreme Court also said that before any of these men are deported under the Alien Enemies Act, they have to be given notice within a reasonable amount of time. Well what's a reasonable amount of time? The Court didn't say, And so now that's being put to the test. The administration seemed to be arguing, or seemed to believe the twenty four hours was enough notice. And the argument is, well, look, you have a couple of guys who were able to call an attorney, get into Court and get an injunction by the Supreme Court. So that's obviously enough time, isn't it. That's the Supreme Court, that's the argument from the White House. The justices who dissented from this are the conservatives, Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 13: Alito wrote separately over the weekend to say not that he disagreed per se with his colleagues with respect to how this is all playing out, except that it's not ripe for consideration by the Supreme Court, that it's unpressed and legally questionable in Alito's mind for the Supreme Court to step in at this moment. That this needs to play out first in the lower courts to develop a record that the Supreme Court can then assess whether things have been done right, rightly or wrongly.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you mentioned dissenting was the two of them? So was the seven to two decision.
Speaker 13: Seemingly Yes, there were no other noted descents generally that we take away from that. It was just seven to two. But importantly, in his descent, Alito said such things as this quote, both the executive and the judiciary have an obligation to follow the law, and he specifically said that the executive the President must follow the Court's order of earlier this month to give the detainees notice of their removal within a reasonable time and the chance to challenge it in court beforehand. The administration insists it's doing that. But again, this piece of paper is in English. It doesn't mention that they can consult an attorney, doesn't say they can make a challenge, And the ACLU says that that clearly violates at least the spirit of the court's earlier order.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then how has the Trump team responded to the decision? Have they? Are they appealing? Well, how do you appeal to the Supreme Court? What do they do next?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 13: Right, so, a whole lot of more filings, I mean, you know, and just this morning, the last few minutes, I see the ACALU has filed its latest response to the government. So ultimately, this is going to have to play out in one of two ways, either at the Supreme Court. Supreme Court is going to have to resolve the situation, or it'll play out first at the Fifth Circuit, which is beneath them.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 13: And to the extent that Alito calls this unprecedented. I'm not sure how this moves forward, but for now everything's on pause until the Supreme Court says otherwise.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC, Stephen Porton, I thanks so much for the update. Appreciate it. You bet, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 4: He celebrated Easter with a faithful and now he celebrates Easter in heaven.
Speaker 1: The Vatican has announced the death of Pope Francis. He died this morning, a day after appearing outside the Vatican on Easter Sunday. Father James Martins's friends has really wanted to live through Eastern I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I can't know what's going on in his mind, but the idea that he would participate and celebrate with the faithful was probably something that he really pushed himself to do.
Speaker 1: The Pope spent more than a month in the hospital earlier this year because of respiratory problems. He suffered chronic lung disease and had part of one lung removed as a young man. He served his pope for twelve years and set a different tone for the papacy, focusing on humanity. For the Catholic church facing scandals and accusations of indifference. Both Francis Was eighty eight, Louisiana, Virginia, and Missouri have all reported their first measles cases this year. One of the patients reported over the weekend is a four year old child, and all three cases are linked to international travel. At least twenty seven states have reported at least one case of measles so far in twenty twenty five. And LA County firefighter has been hurt working to put out a fire at a lumberyard in Pico Rivera. Officials say the firefighters suffered what's called an indirect injury yesterday when a train ran over the hose the firefighter was holding. They were taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries, which were described as moderate. A former LA City Council member could be hit with hefty ethics fines.
Speaker 12: Former LA City Council member Kevin de Leone could face nearly nineteen thousand dollars in fines for ethics violations tied to three city hall votes. A new report says he failed to disclose more than two hundred and sixty thousand dollars in consulting fees from groups that later benefited from those decisions, including the AIDS Healthcare Foundation and USC's Kex School of Medicine. Dalleone admits to five violations, but says the votes were about helping the vulnerable, not personal gain. A final decision on the fine is still pending. Brigitia Degastino Kafi.
Speaker 1: News LACD officials trying to figure out who has cut down dozens of trees around downtown La.
Speaker 8: I lived downtown and walked around as I usually do. I saw a tree on Olympic and Hope, and it was chopped down. I thought it was the city.
Speaker 3: To tell you the truth.
Speaker 1: Medea Mussavi runs the Downtown la Insider Instagram page. She says he noticed the trees down while out for a walk on Saturday morning.
Speaker 8: And as I'm walking around the city, I'm starting to see trees in more areas. There's three right above us on Grand, There's this one behind us.
Speaker 1: The trees on at least a half dozen streets appear to have been cut down with a chainsaw. Mayor Bass's office says city public works crews are assessing the damage and making plans to quickly replace the trees. No arrests have been made. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour news room for a producer and technical producer Kno, along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.