Speaker 1: The hope is that falling in love will bring out the best in us, but that's not always the case. As twelve year old Jasmine Richardson fell in love with her twenty three year old boyfriend Jeremy Steinke, they came up with a plan so sinister it had the community of Medicine Hat Alberta in complete shock, and a family was permanently destroyed.
Speaker 2: Good Morning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and graphic contentmentarial for a mature audience listener discussion is a US, Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole, I'm Ben, and you are listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. Clankety clink clankity clink clink.
Speaker 2: We're being responsible and hydrating ourself with Good Old. It's too old today, Well.
Speaker 1: Because it's finally hot in our town, in our town, third city, town, community, whatever.
Speaker 2: It is, Good Old Canada.
Speaker 1: Isn't it like thirty degrees or something?
Speaker 2: Uh? Celsius should clarify that right now, because people in Fahrenheit are probably like, oh, that's cold. Oh yeah, but yeah, thirty degrees celsius right now, which is hot for us yet, so we finally have summer right in time for fall. To start kicking in pretty quick, so that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw a leaf on the ground already, really I did, but I think it was just like the tree was dying because there's no sure. Oh yeah it has to be. It's too early. It's too early. That shit won't happen for a while.
Speaker 2: Gave me like a slight panic attack.
Speaker 1: No, we're damn We're not there yet. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in the meantime, we're going to hydrate ourselves in this hot weather. Actually, fun fact. I don't know if I've mentioned it many times before, but I am a safety professional at work.
Speaker 1: Right you are.
Speaker 2: Today in my safety meeting at work, I gave a good old talk on heat stress and staying hydrated was a very important key on that. Oh that's good, So I guess you can say I'm following my own advice.
Speaker 1: Well done, Thank you. Well, I am the opposite of a safety person and I had a very bad tumble on the weekend and fucked myself.
Speaker 2: Up mountain biking. Yeah, I extracurricular.
Speaker 1: I well, I'm learning ish right, And I ended up using my front break a little bit too heavily going down a hill and I went right over my handlebars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a good old. In the mountain bike community, we call it an OTB over the bars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said that to some of the other day. I was like, what's that? And yeah, I have some massive, massive bruises and scabs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you look bad ass now, I do you look like you just took someone the fuck out.
Speaker 1: I was gonna wear dress actually what today, like a really pretty dress and I was like, I just can't right now because I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think anyone can sued anytime, but I mean, if that's.
Speaker 1: What you well some huge bruises. I was like, this isn't fit.
Speaker 2: Fair doesn't fit. Should we get onto Patreons? Yeah, Patreon, Patreon and patrons. There we go.
Speaker 1: And well the really exciting thing too about these lucky Patreons is on Sunday, we'll be dropping our monthly extra episode.
Speaker 2: Yea, the exclusive. Uh so the individuals we had sign up for Patreon this week, so special shout out to Melissa Harper, Angie Arms McDaniel, Lexi Roy, Amy, Rudy Edge, and Jessica Meeks Rutledge Rutledge, Amy Ruttledge. I just I read the l is an I for a moment there so Amy Ruttledge, I just clued in, so and then yeah, Jessica Meeks, awesome, awesome, awesome, Thank you so much for supporting us over on Patreon. To those who can't support us or don't want to, that's totally cool. There's no need.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no hard feelings whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Just appreciate you being here. And to those who do decide to go support on Patreon, we appreciate that too, So thank you so much. And yeah, the patrons will get that extra exclusive episode coming up at.
Speaker 1: The end of the month, yeah, which is very soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we are a day late today.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was just going to say that. So it's all really because of my injury. Actually I could blame it all that, but it's honestly like I started doing this case and then there and it was like it was all right. But then I saw the book on it and I was like, holy, this has like insane amount. And one day I read like one hundred pages of this book and I was like, uh, yeah, I need an extra day, and we're putting a bunch more shit in there.
Speaker 2: That's totally fair. Once in a while we take that extra day and we do it just to make sure, we get that extra information and we do case justice.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so this is there's a lot of info. This is part one. This is going to be a two parter. Now, it was definitely not going to be to begin with, but I did not stop it in an asshole spot.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: So you could very much listen to this and then very much to listen to the next one and not think I'm a giant jerk. So fair, there you go.
Speaker 2: Can I touch on some true crime news that occurred today, yes, before we get into the episodes, you do. So we had two crazy things get announced today in the world of true crime.
Speaker 1: You okay, Well I heard about the one, the John Bene Yes.
Speaker 2: So the headline from Fox News says this regarding job and a John Bine Ramsey crime scene, DNA could be id'd in hours, Cold case researchers says, as family pushes for answers, so really quick elevator pitch of this article, which we will put in the links maybe this episode as well, and of course social media elevator pitch. Yeah, there is some uh, some DNA that the family pushing to get idd it could potentially get turned away, but they're really pushing idd and it could help in solving the case. So that is really cool.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because I'm just looking here. So that was in nineteen ninety six that she passed away. Okay, So gosh, man, that'd be incredible if they were able to solve that, Ah, it would be that'd be amazing.
Speaker 2: And second piece of incredible news that came out today, the infamous Somerton Man mystery may have been solved as DNA points to the man's identity. Professor claims that is the title of the article on CNN. So basically, a professor who has dedicated decades to solving one of Australia's most like enduring mysteries claims he's discovered the identity of this mysterious Somerton Man. Apparently. He says that the body of the man who identified as a Somerton Man was one of a man called Carl Charles Webb, an electrical engineer, and that's who he claims the mysterious man is in this case is from nineteen forty.
Speaker 1: Eight to so, and so this man was just never identified.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar with this to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a crazy case, okay, And maybe you have to cover that. Oh I planned on it one day and maybe maybe now have too, sooner than later. Yeah, but his findings have been yet to be verified. So both the job and a case and this Somerton Man case are currently still in the limbo mystery stage, but both very well could be solved very soon.
Speaker 1: Well that's so good like that they just don't give up because and that's the thing. People think they get away with shit, but you just might not.
Speaker 2: And the biggest thing is conversations us on this podcast. We probably will never solve a case. I mean, that'd be absolutely insane if we did. But we probably will never solve the case, let's be honest. However, us having the conversation can get you guys out there having the conversation, and it could get someone's name to someone who might know something or might end up researching and passing that information on and it accumulates and snowballs and years down the road, someone might figure it out because someone somewhere heard it on our podcast.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, it's just saying that these people are not they've never gotten forgotten right exactly, Which is it's awesome And like true crime, is this a popular thing, right, So it's great that these things are still talked about and still researched and.
Speaker 2: It is and exploring it through conversation like it's the best thing you can can do. Like you say, it's never been forgotten about and that sums it up beautifully. So all done on that.
Speaker 1: I five, Oh, thank you, smack smack.
Speaker 2: Okay, we took up like almost eight minutes of an intro here, so let's get into this epic stuff.
Speaker 1: But let's go okay, okay, this is wild. Okay. I do want to say the book, too, is unbelievable because they've kind of skimmed and read some other true crime books and I'm like, eh, it's kind of boring, but this one no. So it's called The Runaway Devil, How Forbidden Love drove a twelve year old to murder her family And it is by Robert Remington. So I honestly suggest reading this you listen to our podcast first and then read it. And it is wild, wild.
Speaker 2: Story, roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, like unbelievable because I can't fit everything in the podcast. I wish I could, but there's just so much. Okay. So it was April twenty third, two thousand and six in Medicine hat Alberta, Canada, a city of roughly sixty thousand people. Gareth Jacob Richardson's next door neighbor and best friend Race next door, after arriving home from a morning out to see Jacob. The two boys were supposed to have a sleepover at the Richardson's house the previous night, but Gareth ended up going to a hockey game with his grandma. Good old hockey game in Canada, it's pretty typical.
Speaker 2: A hello out there, we're on here. It's hockey night tonight.
Speaker 1: As he peered through the window, he made a haunting discovery and raced back to his mum and he said, Mummy, there's bodies at Jacob's with blood all over them. I saw them through the basement window.
Speaker 2: Oh that's disturbing in itself, especially for a little boy to be saying that. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think he was only like five or six or something like he and then honestly too, like his mom, I would be like, huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would assume she probably didn't believe him at first.
Speaker 1: Well no, so Gareth's mom, Sarah looked at him in disrelief, but followed Gareth across the driveway. They shared a driveway with the Richardsons, and she warned Gareth though that he'd better not be lying, that this is not something to joke about fair. As Gareth pressed his hands and face to a ground floor window, his mom did the same, and she saw the body of a man laying face up on the floor in his black boxer sorts. His legs and face were coated in blood, so much so Sarah couldn't even tell if it was Jacob's dad, Mark Richardson or not. He appeared to be reaching out with his arms in emotion, but he wasn't moving. She then saw Jacob's mom, Deborah Richardson, behind the couch. She was also lying on the floor, almost on her back in an oddly bent angle, with her legs also coated in blood. Sarah took her son, fearing the attacker could still be in the area or maybe even in their house, called her mom N nine one one while she waited in her car on the street for them to arrive.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, way to jump in head first.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, it's a lot egg.
Speaker 2: That is a lot to absorb in a short amount of time. Okay, yeah, that's page one. Wow, I don't even know how to digest that at this point. Okay, yeah, okay, keep going. I'm just trying to process this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll buckle up here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So when Inspector Brent Sickendyke arrived at the scene and looked into a basement window, he saw a body on the floor covered in blood and called for backup. Really not sure what he was dealing with here, he grabbed his protective tactical shield from his cruiser, pulled his gun, and waited for the backup to arrive. At one pm, four policemen would enter the Richardson home and here is what they would witness. This is just too much Already, blood smears on the wall leading to the upstairs and basement. Oh shit, more blood smears in the kitchen near the handle of the back door. As they followed the trail of smeared blood down to the basement. At the base of the stairs, they came across Deborah's body. She was lying on the floor in an unnatural position, partly on her side and back, her face or sorry, her head slightly propped on the back of the coach, where her light brown hair was over her face. Her blue nightgown was hiked up, showing her naked from the waist down. She had a large blood stain around her body on the carpet and blood smears all over her legs. A little black dog was at her side, barking and whining.
Speaker 2: Oh no, why did we have to bring animals into this? That just fucking breaks my heart even more. Yeah.
Speaker 1: To the left, a burly, dark haired man in his boxer shorts laid face up on the floor in a dark pool of blood. His legs, too, were smeared in blood. The man's hands were clunched upright as if ready to fight. His right eye socket was a gaping red wound, and he had multiple slices, punctures, and cuts all over his face and body. On the floor next to him was a screwed that he used in an attempt to defend himself. Blood was literally splattered all throughout the basement, on the exercise equipment, TV and ceiling. Wow, like it would have been a scene from Hell.
Speaker 2: No kidding, that is more than a murder scene. That is that sounds like a massacre. Holy shit, that's not cool, and.
Speaker 1: It gets worse As they continued their search, Following this smeared blood to the upstairs bedrooms. They would come across a girl's pink bedroom. The bed was unmade, but there appeared to be no signs of violence within the room. The scene in the next bedroom was unfortunately drastically more gruesome. It was a little boy's room, and on the bed lay the body of Jacob in his underwear with a large gash in his throat. There was blood on the bed, floor, walls, and all over the toys that surrounded him, including his Pokemon cards, wrestling figurines, and Star Wars lightsaber. And this is the most gut wrenching part here, Like I freaking solved when I read this. It was suspected that Jacob grabbed his lightsaber at one point during the attack and tried to use it to defend himself, giving all the blood that was on the surface of the lightsaber.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I bawled my face off. That is just like a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh, my stomach is in fucking notts. Holy shit, that is one of the saddest things I think we have ever even come close to saying on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Wow, I know I'm like spreading I almost left it out, but it's just it's gut wrenching to like say the.
Speaker 2: Least, and it honestly, I mean, I don't know the case, but I'm sure it's very important to understand, like what happened, what this end of it, ju ole did And if I may say, can Jacob be or badass of the day for trying to fight back with his lightsaber?
Speaker 1: Well the dad too, Like I mean, we'll get into that at some point, but the dad fought, like hell okay to like protect and save his family as well.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So three out of the four members of the Richardson family just gone. Jacob was eight years old, Deborah was forty eight, and Mark was forty two. Jasmine Richardson was, however, missing from the scene. They searched the house numerous times for her, but she was not to be found, which the police were thankful for. Maybe she had spent the night at a friend's house, But they also feared the worse, did the person responsible for this scene also abduct Jasmine? Was she the ultimate target in this gruesome crime? So the police released statement that said they were searching for the Richardson's daughter regarding a serious family matter. And sent out an amber alert. Jasmine was twelve years old, but as the events started being pieced together, they were in for a shock of a lifetime. You see, Jasmine wasn't abducted, her life was not miraculously spared, nor was she heartbroken over the loss of her family, because the deaths of her two parents and her little brother were at the hands of herself and her twenty three year old boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Kate, can you repeat that, please?
Speaker 1: The deaths of her two parents and her little brother were at the hands of herself and her twenty three year old boyfriend.
Speaker 2: There is a whole shit ton too unpack in that sentence right there.
Speaker 1: This is a brutal one.
Speaker 2: It's brutal first and foremost, before we get into age. You have this individual who slaughtered their family, their little brother at the age of twelve, twelve, twelve years old, with the help of their boyfriend in their years older. Yeah, holy shit, Yes, it's wild. It's a wild case.
Speaker 1: Wow, devastating. So I'm gonna jump back and give some backstory on the Richardsons.
Speaker 2: Please do because everyone's everywhere like what.
Speaker 1: Okay? So, Mark and Deborah, who both suffered from addiction previously before meeting, would marry in nineteen ninety one in Ontario and vow to change their lives forever. They would have their first child in October of nineteen ninety three, Jasmine, and shortly before having their second child three years later, Jacob. They would they would move to Aukentalks, Alberta. And I've never even heard of this town. It's parents say it's like eighteen kilometers south of Calgary, so it's very close.
Speaker 2: I probably would have driven through it.
Speaker 1: Then. I think that's how you say.
Speaker 2: That sounds fun to say, oktos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like an Alberta town. And I don't mean that rudely at all.
Speaker 2: Just it sounds like an amber alert town.
Speaker 1: Alberta town.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm pretty sure you said it sounds like an amber alert town.
Speaker 1: And the amber alert happened.
Speaker 2: Due no, but I thought you were meaning like, if anywhere an amber alert is going to happen, it sounds like this place. I was God, no, yeah, I was like, holy, way to judge. Wow, but okay, thankfully you didn't say that that was my assumption.
Speaker 1: Well you assumed wrong.
Speaker 2: Thank God. For a moment I thought you might be a monster.
Speaker 1: It's like Wow, I'm not a monster.
Speaker 2: I was gonna do it, but I'm not going to do it. Okay, I'm gonna do it. You're monster. There we go.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Okay. Times weren't always easy for the family. Deborah would have to get food from the food bank at times, but she was always stretching a dollar and making good meals for the kids. Mark and Deborah also devoted their lives to helping people get off drugs and alcohol, with Deborah a mentor and sponsor at Narcotics Anonymous. I think it's freaking awesome, no kidding, Like really shows what kind of people they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the book regarding this case runaway Devil like, I mentioned a friend. A close friend said Deborah would sometimes call and say, don't need to call me back, just wanted to let you know that I love you until you love yourself. Her famous words were I love the bones and the skin you're in. Like that sounds so nice, no kidding. Another one that described the family would say they were a loving family and treated each other with respect. In September of two thousand and three, the family would get some good fortune when Mark, who had upgraded his courses in electrical engineering, was promoted in his career with Encana Corporation, which is a large Canadian oil and gas company. The company even paid for the family to move to Medicine Hat, which really excited them. It was about a three hour move away from where they were currently living. They had gone from relying on getting food from the food bank at one point in their lives to now having workers pack and move their belongings to their newly purchased family home in the suburban neighborhood of Rose Glenn. Their hard work showed, and they didn't seem to take it for granted either. Like does this family not sound amazing?
Speaker 2: They sound like they are picture perfect out of a Hallmark movie at this point. Yeah, Like I quite literally am like picturing their house with like fake snow on the front lawn, like Christmas lights and the dad's putting up a reindeer on the roof and rocking around the Christmas trees playing well, mom's taking cookies, Like holy.
Speaker 1: Shit, Yeah, I would honestly say, all that's probably true.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay.
Speaker 1: Their son, Jacob was described as joyful and energetic. His teachers referred to him as the class clown in his kindergarten year book. He wrote that he wanted to be a policeman or a soldier when he grew up, Oh my god, and that the thing he liked best about himself was that he has a family and is very fast.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, can you please stop fucking pulling at my heart? Holy shit, I know, I know, Oh my fucking god. Okay.
Speaker 1: As for Jasmin, well, maybe she was pure and innocent at one time in her life, but she definitely took a very dark turn when the family moved to Medison Hat Jasmine was going into grade five, she decorated her room with treasures typical for an innocent preteen, stuffed animals, sheer white canopy over her single bed, collection of books, and the usual girlish clutter of scarfs, pens, body lotion, and a small wooden jewelry box with glass doors. Jasmine was described as happy and social who shared her mom's luminous smile. She attended a Catholic school and didn't seem to struggle making new friends. It would be in grade six, though, that Jasmine would start to change her Oh.
Speaker 2: To be fair, I think at grade six we all started to change.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a fucked up age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go through a whole lot of shit. There's hormones, there's you notice things, things are changing with things around you and with you.
Speaker 1: And in grade six or maybe more so like seven eight.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean once you start getting there, things start happening. Yeah, whether it's like immediate like a lot of shit. And I'm not necessarily just talking puberty, but personality changed too, right, well.
Speaker 1: When she was an early bloomer, which will get to which I think doesn't help with a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, So don't I don't want us to start judging her just because she started changing, because at that age, we all fucking know.
Speaker 1: That's totally fair. That's totally fair. So it was grade six though, oh I already said that jazz and search exchange bla blah. Her and some of her friends began to question the formal religion taught at their school, including the concept of hell. Jasmine seemed to absorb her mother's New Age interests, which included rey k Riky crystals and meditation. She also became interested in Wicca, which is a predominantly Western movement whose followers practice witchcraft and nature worship, and who see it as a religion based on pre Christian traditions.
Speaker 2: Which again Wicka has another bad ambience around it, sort of thing.
Speaker 1: It's not necessarily yeah, but it's not bad. It didn't seem all bad from what I read.
Speaker 2: No, it's not necessarily black magic. No, though some do correlate the two that way and do practice that, but that is not standard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just because you have an interest in that, I don't think right away you'd be like, oh my gosh, that person's sketch, right, So you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: It's just like we have a true crime podcast, but we're not gonna go fucking murder someone. Some people think that. We've had people question that already, and it's we.
Speaker 1: Talked about that. Oh my gosh. So on her wall, out of black tape, she did she did up the pentagram symbol, which was like kind of an odd appearance in her like little girl room. You know, it was probably like a kind of a first sign ish, right. So she also started testing the limits of authority and at the Medicine hat Mall, she was drawn to the teens from the local goth crowd. Soon her and her friends would start adopting the goth look. Her wardrobe change to be more black, She started applying darker and more heavy makeup. She occasionally wore a choker and an oversized hoodie with the logo of a heavy metal band. One of her favorites at the time was the Misfits.
Speaker 2: Misfits are awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they actually named a lot of bands, And I really would not have known if it wasn't for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough. I have a feeling that a lot of her her musical interests would have lined up a lot with me, I think so.
Speaker 1: So she started being feared and avoided at school, with teachers often concerned over her appearance and how she acted.
Speaker 2: Feared and avoided. Oh, I guess this is like a religious a strict religious schoo Well, and I.
Speaker 1: Mean she was starting to like wear pretty dark makeup and dark clothes.
Speaker 2: And well, I mean that I wouldn't like, thinking back to high school. I know people who were like that in high school, and it's like teachers and stuff weren't fearful of them, you know. But I could see it maybe being a little more predominant in a say, for example, a heavily Catholic school. Yeah, because I mean that is going to more correlate to you know, satanic worship and stuff, whereas general public it's not. It's just all that person's goth, which is just like clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, yeah, in like a public school, it might not be as noticed kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: By the summer of two thousand and five, between grades six and seven, Jasmine was physically more mature than most of her friends. She was only eleven, but looked much older and could easily pass for fifteen or sixteen, Like way, looked way.
Speaker 2: Older, to be fair, to be fair, some people, some people might get that reference anyways. To be fair, I'm pretty sure that most kids nowadays who are like fucking ten twelve do look like they're sixteen anyways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh nowadays. Yeah, but this was back in like oh five or six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Like, sh shouldn't she be wearing like fucking butterfly clips and shit? Am I around that?
Speaker 2: Just because that's what you for doesn't mean that's what everyone else bought.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm still probably wearing those in the grade eleven.
Speaker 2: Shit, I'm pretty sure you still have butterfly hair.
Speaker 1: I don't know you sure I still have like my polly pockets and stuff. Though, point proven they as are. I'm keeping those for life. Man, those are sweet. Not that I like play with them. They're keepsake ban.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're collectibles. Yeah, it's not a toy. It's an action figure, right, I.
Speaker 1: Know, my keepsake being probably some weird shit there.
Speaker 2: I've got action figures and they're displayed on our shelf right now. So I can't judge.
Speaker 1: You can't judge at all. Definitely not okay, So this is interesting. In the book I read, it mentioned research has shown that girls who reach early puberty are at risk for delinquency and aggressive behavior, and are also more likely to be depressed socially withdrawn, moody, and sexually active, which kind of all makes sense a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, doesn't that all just come with hormones and puberty.
Speaker 1: Anyways, it does a little bit. But like I think they're probably feeling a bit like uncomfortable in their body when like other people in their age aren't where they're at, and so then they act out or they even like they are getting bullied about it. Yeah, like I could see developing early being not easy.
Speaker 2: I can see it too. I just question the fact that it took a scientific team to come up with that.
Speaker 1: You know, well, doesn't it take a scientific team to come up with everything?
Speaker 2: Fair enough?
Speaker 1: I mean that nicely, do you? Okay? So in August of two thousand and five, still eleven, Jasmine started dabbling on online social networking sites, which I feel like was not a good decision at what age eleven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a little early. I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was on MSN and all that stuff back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, it's just like she could go selth like. I just don't think I could have a kid. I'd just lock them up like they're they're not allowed to go anywhere.
Speaker 2: I just want to sum this up because I've been kind of cutting in a lot here, But to sum it up, I just I don't see a major problem with her actions yet. No, I know what it does later clearly have a problem with that.
Speaker 1: You'll they'll start getting a little bit more sketch.
Speaker 2: As for now, it just seems like your typical teenager going through.
Speaker 1: Something a little young though, Like I gosh, I'm just trying to remember what the hell I was doing at eleven. I don't even know what grade is that that's like grade five. Okay, I definitely was not on the fucking computer. I was probably still making my advice and.
Speaker 2: Shit grade five, oh shit really? Oh yeah, I was playing Pokemon, yeah, a game boy.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think i'd be showing because I said it. Where was it? Okay? No? Grade six? No? I yeah, I just think I would be still like pretty innocent at that age. But I mean, everyone develops differently, fair. So she started with mind whiz dot Com, listing her orientation as bisexual and describing herself as single with a dog, and like, I'm sorry, but at that age, I don't even know if I necessarily have known what bisexual was. Her profile picture consisted of her holding a realistic looking replica handgun in her right hand and pointing it towards the ceiling.
Speaker 2: I do want to touch on the bisexual thing. I mean, like, things have evolved a lot since the early two thousands. It wasn't much of a topic for us when we were that age. Yeah, so yeah, it would be a little bit more rare for someone to have that conversation. Yeah, but if they felt that way, I mean I'm sure that they would know inherently you're right.
Speaker 1: Nowadays, that probably wouldn't be abnormal to know that.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. No, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it is a good thing. Actually, yeah, so I'll actually post a photo of I think that's the photo, a post of her holding the replica handgun, because it is literally mind blowing that in that fucking photo she's eleven. Like, there's just no way, There's just no way. I don't know. Okay. Then she was on MySpace, where she had the username x Underscore Madness Underscore x and listed her age as sixteen, listing her interests as hatchets, serial killers, criminal psychology, blood moonlight, human anonymy, and kinky shit and kinky shit, also listing the serial killer and cannibal Jeffrey Dalmer as a hero along with Chris Angel and a few heavy metal artists.
Speaker 2: Chris Angel we can barely consider him a heavy metal artist.
Speaker 1: No, he no, along with Chris Angel, and oh well he was he was.
Speaker 2: He he's a musician as well.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought he was just a magician.
Speaker 2: He was a magician and a musician. You know that song I am a mind for he sold mine for?
Speaker 1: Oh that was him? It Okay, because yeah, he was like you'd consider him probably goth right, little goth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, his style, I would say, is goth.
Speaker 1: Yah, yeah, which I mean, okay, all, that's pretty much fine. The kinky shit's okay. No, Actually, no, being interests of serial killers, well, I guess that. Fuck. I don't even know if I can say, because with that be one of my interests, there's a line. Shit, and like having Jeffrey Dahmer is a hero, Yes, that's fuck.
Speaker 2: That's where it kind of gets into it. If you have an interest in serial killers, I think there is a problem in my opinion, and I could be wrong, and it may not be one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 1: But it would be an interest in like true crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interest in the stories. It's an interest in what happened. It's an interest in understanding all the dynamics. But saying I like the serial killers that I think is not cool because I love true crime. I fucking hate Cereal kills.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're assholes, They're nasty. What do you say? Douche canoes?
Speaker 2: Douche canoes to the nines.
Speaker 1: So when she started grade seven that fall, the change in Jasmine was very noticeable and dramatic as for the school counselor short skirts, chains, fishnet stockings, spiked callers, blackmeshed and heavy eye makeup with eye accents of teardrops and stars drawn in black eyeliner, which all was very much so breaking the school's dress code. As you could imagine, Shortly after Jasmine's twelve birthday, she would be introduced to Jeremy Stanky in the mall and she was very much so drawn to him. He was hyper and the center of attention. People really loved him. Around this time, Jasmine would also start getting into arguments with her parents. They did not approve of her older male friends, and rightfully so, along with Raven who was nineteen and trench Coat, who was in his early twenties. Trench Coat, yep, these are two people's names.
Speaker 2: You know you're a winner if your nickname is trench Coat, if that's what people go by, good old trench Coat.
Speaker 1: So those were two of her friends that were just like friends. There was Jeremy who was twenty seven years old, that's eleven years older than Jasmine. Now, Jeremy was a high school dropout with a history of violence. To say, his upbringing wasn't great would be an understatement. His mother was an alcoholic and she had terrible partners over the years that abused him like very much, so abused him. He also started down a path of drugs and alcohol in his early teen years, including pot, ecstasy, acid, and mushrooms. His mom said he suffered from ADHD and at one point tried to hang himself, saying he wished he was never born. He was also a cutter.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I need to elaborate on what a cutter is.
Speaker 2: No, And I mean that's super unfortunate. Honestly, I know some people in real life who did that in their early years and stuff. And it's not not something to joke about. No, it's very unfortunate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was actually a stat Oh my gosh, I don't know if I could find really quickly in here about how this many people actually do this, Like it was like, whoa.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite prevalent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I feel like it said it was, oh, my Internet's not going to be nice to me, like twenty percent or wow or something. Okay, So I found this just distict and what it says is that one in every two hundred adolescent girls between the age of thirteen and nineteen regularly cut themselves.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's still high, but it's definitely lower than twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is lower, but I that is like a lot higher than I anticipated it to be.
Speaker 2: That is still significant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was like, holy, Okay. So it wasn't until the summer of two thousand and five that Jeremy started to go goth. He was looking for a new crowd and they were very accepting of him, which I have heard that of people who are goth, right, like they're very accepting.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like I've been kind of not goth, but like punk. I've been kind of part of that scene throughout my life, and people in that sort of genre they're generally outcast themselves. So if you feel like you're fitting in with them, they accept that. They're not going to fight back because they know what it feels like. So they're usually open arms in those sort of crowds.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, so, and Jeremy enjoyed hanging out with a younger crowd. Though his mom never admitted to drinking during her pregnancy, it was speculated that Jeremy had fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, and apparently the desire to hang out with a younger crowd is common among people with this disorder. Their developmental problems often include scented growth and lower mental and emotional capabilities than others in their age group. So though they have a desire to have friends, they can often be rejected by their peers because of their social immaturity.
Speaker 2: So just kind of like what I said, we have two people who are trying to fit in right, and once they find someone else like them, they're going to be open arms. Yeah, so we kind of almost have a perfect storm between these two. One who's not fitting with their peers because they're outgrown them, for lack of better words, and one who is not fitting with their peers because their peers are outgrowing them, for lack of better terms.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, and this is the other thing I really wanted to know. Jeremy was also described as hyperactive. His mom described him as ADHD, and it's common to suffer from both. So people with fetal alcohol effects and ADHD can be impulsive and can put themselves in dangerous situations without thinking about the consequences, which I think really needs to be mentioned in this case. More commonly, what you might hear about Jeremy though, is that he like this is like all this other stuff that I said was in the book, But when you read like news stories, it's often that he wore a vile of blood around his neck, claiming he liked the taste of blood. He was a self proclaimed three hundred year old werewolf and a soul eater. Wow, that would be like kind of how the media described him. Jasmine and Jeremy would start casually seeing each other in December of two thousand and five, and around February of two thousand and six, Jeremy sent Jasmine an email asking her to be his girlfriend, to which she said yes. And you could say the pair might not have been the best influence on each other. One thing I should note too, is like Jeremy didn't realize how old Jasmine was exactly. Like I think he thought that she was like fifteen or something, which is still way too young that is, but I mean her profile online did say she was sixteen years old. Yeah, and she didn't realize some of the stuff I read how old exactly he was, So I don't know, I don't know. The two of them communicated through VampireFreaks dot Com, which is currently an online clothing store, but up until twenty twenty was a social networking site. And Next how do you say that.
Speaker 2: Nextopia, Nextopia or Nextopia?
Speaker 1: Yeah so pa and which is a Canadian networking website. Jeremy went By Soul Eater and Jasmine Runaway Devil. They confess their love to each other over Messenger at the beginning of March, so like, that's very soon. They pretty much were official and like around Valentine's Day and then beginning of March they're like telling each other they love each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, but.
Speaker 1: I mean lots of times at young ages.
Speaker 2: Yea, Yeah, things go really fast. It's lust and you don't quite understand it and.
Speaker 1: It could have been like first love kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So a few days after, Jeremy wrote Jasmine song titled Till death do We Part and I'll bless your ears with it.
Speaker 2: Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: You're the blood that flows through my veins. You're the sun breaking through the clouds when it rains. My love is for you forever as we die here together, We'll be together forever till death do we part. And then he signed it off, hope you enjoy, love you tons later, cuddle Bunny, and he went later as like I had to look this up because like, yeah, I was like what does that mean? And I just like I should have known, but it's been a wall. It's been a wall. So yeah, that's how he spelled later.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Jasmine's relationship with her parents, as you could imagine, was steadily declining. Yeah, I would assume so after leaving her brother. Okay, this is so. At one point she left her brother alone while she was supposed to be baby sitting him and they were at like a work function, and so they grounded her indefinitely because he got scared. I mean he was like eight and called and was like I'm home alone when she was supposed to be babysitting, Like what the fuck. They also started monitoring her computer pages, eventually deciding to box up their computer altogether so she could no longer use it. This soever didn't stop Jasmine. I mean, I think a lot of things parents do, it's like they just find a way, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, kids will always find a way. The best thing. I mean, I'm no parents, I don't know, but from my experience, what my parents did with me. The best thing to do is be involved, be involved with it. Yeah, because I was starting to get to the age where I was going to go out and you know, have some drinks with friends and party when I was under age. Not to you know, criminalize my parents here with this, but they would bootleg for me. They would go buy me alcohol, and they would tell me, Okay, as long as you have the money, we'll buy it for you. Drink responsibly, tell us where you are, tell us when you need to be picked up, doesn't matter the time, whatever, we will be there. We will get you. And that honesty kept a lot open.
Speaker 1: You would have found a way to get that alcohol. Regardless of that.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my parents were pretty involved too, So like if I wanted alcohol as well, I would be able to just get it from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Not to say you should go buy your underage kids alcohol. That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: No, But like, yeah, the involvement and stuff, I don't know. Yeah, but honestly, sometimes I think you could probably just do anything and it's not going to work either.
Speaker 2: That's true, But work with them, not against them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So she would just go about using the computers at the public library, like done right, and she would go about imagining her life what her life would be like without parents. After completing some successful family counseling sessions, Mark and Debra decided to let jazz and go to one of the punk shows to see her friends, with the stipulation that they attended with her. I mean, she's twelve, right. I don't feel like that's that bad.
Speaker 2: That's not outrage I don't even.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of parents probably wouldn't even let them go at twelve, right, that's like really young, that is young. But that proved to be a disaster because at one point she wandered off and was later found in the back alley making out with Jeremy. That's when the real punishment started. She was grounded for a month, no phone or computer privileges, not allowed to listen to music. They took away her eyeliner and hair straightener, and she was to go directly to school and home afterwards. All friends were turned away at the door. So boom, they're like putting their foot down here.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, I mean, rightfully?
Speaker 1: So yeah. So Jasmine, though, felt like she was a prisoner in her own home and grew increasingly angry, angry about her lack of freedom and privacy. On March twentieth, she wrote to Jeremy Rarr, I hate them, so I have this plan. It begins with me killing them and ends with me living with you. So we are set. I'm going to try and call you, but I really don't know if I'll be able to. They are treating me like shit. I hate them so much, but I hope this won't bring us apart. I hope to talk to you soon, and I love you with all my heart love.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's a lot of emotion in that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the next day Jeremy wrote back and said, well, I love your plan, but we need to get a little more creative with like details and stuff. I wish they wouldn't treat you that way, Gurr. It angers me to hear that I dislike them very much. Don't worry. I love you too, my sexy beast.
Speaker 2: Okay that was a bit much.
Speaker 1: Okay your eye rolls, I just can see and go up. I hope to hear from you soon. To take care of my love. You have the key to my heart, and soon enough you shall have my heart if I die anyway, because if I give it to you now, I'll die then and you won't be able to hear me say how much I love you love xoxo.
Speaker 2: Xo xox So that's very gossip Girl of him. Wow, Okay, I'm ashamed that I know that. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well no, he went XO xoxo in gossip Girl. I think it's just xoxo gossip Girl. Still, anyway, he's like a bit much.
Speaker 2: He's a bit much for sure, Like it's.
Speaker 1: A bit much. I'm a little done with that. Well, the amount of shit emails I read.
Speaker 2: I'm not going I think it's a bit much, but I'm not going to judge him on that. I mean, young love and with the potential alcohol feed al alcohol syndrome was.
Speaker 1: It, yes, fetal alcohol syndrome disorder and ADHD. I know, Okay, I know, but the yeah, and he's showing his affection and stuff, but it's like it's a bit over the top.
Speaker 2: It's a bit over the top for me. But that's not to say anyone can be like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the fuck, I've never received any love notes like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you get a go fuck yourself instead.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, bring maybe I need to find a Jeremy. Okay, So on March twenty fourth, Jeremy posted a poem on his next Opia how do you say that shit nextopia or next Opia page that read my and like this shit's public. This is the thing that's just like, it's just not very smart. So my girlfriend's family are totally unfair. They say that they really care, They don't know what is going on. They just assume. As their greed continues to consume, she is slowly going insane. She continues to think that I came into her life to help her out and to stop what they keep trying to shout. It's all total bullshit their throats. I want to slit. They will regret the shit they have done, especially when I see to it that they are gone. They pay for their insolence. Finally they shall be silence. Their blood shall be payment.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's incriminating. If there's anything I've ever heard that is incriminating.
Speaker 1: Yep, And right there, we're stopping the episode.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, of course you are, so next episode. I thought you said you weren't leaving us on a cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: That's alanger. I've given so many details.
Speaker 2: Still we are at the point where we know he is about to converse about committing this.
Speaker 1: I felt it was a very kind spot. So next episode we'll be talking about the final days leading up to the murders, Jeremy's final words to Jasmine's dad, and the aftermath that entailed, including how they spent their time before being caught, which is just disgusting, and the punishments they received or the lack thereof.
Speaker 2: Wow, So tune in next time.
Speaker 1: Tune in next time to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: You need to get more announcing about it.
Speaker 1: I could do it really well.
Speaker 2: Okay, do it, do it? Let's hear it. Okay, well, we'll both do our best announcer voice. Let's do you.
Speaker 1: Tune in next time to Wicked and Graham. That was actually pretty shitty.
Speaker 2: Really like this. You gotta get like authority. Authority.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see how you're setting yourself up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lose shoulders math right, So you go tune in next time to Wicked and Grim like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's how you can finish all of our episode. From here on out, Ben will become an announcer at the very end of every podcast.
Speaker 2: How I'll do our outro a whole like Patreon social media speel like this. Okay, le's that I can do this.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: For the record, this is completely improv so I don't have scriptures.
Speaker 1: I can tell this is fucking improv.
Speaker 2: Okay, So well, thank you very much for being here with us today on Wicked and Grim. We appreciate every single one of you. Coming from the bottom of our heart, we sincerely do mean that. If you want to support us, you can find all of our social links down in the description of this podcast. We have Instagram, Facebook, website, We're even on Reddit. If you want to supportus on Patreon, you can go ahead and do that too, But don't worry, it's not necessary. We appreciate every single one of you regardless. We love you. Thank you so much for being here, and of course don't forget too, Stay Wicked.