Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel with you on a Tuesday edition of our program. It's a full show because there is no UK Baseball on Tuesday, no midweek game. You'd think this team could use a midweek game to kind of lift its spirits a little bit after dropping the entire series over the weekend at Mississippi State. But the Wildcats not can rest and heal because there have been some injuries, significant injuries and get ready for this weekend series with Oklahoma, the Sooners coming to town for the first time as members of the Southeastern Conference. And we'll have it for you right here on six thirty WLAP. It's a six thirty start on Friday night, Darren's pregame comes up at six point fifteen. We'll have them for you over on SEC Plus as well. Doug Flinn and I will have a telecast. But it's a huge weekend for the baseball Wildcats and they have got the hang on to home turf. Got to win at least two man if they can sweep that would like put last week firmly in the rearview mirror. But Kentucky, I don't know if it's on the bubble right now, but it's not going to host a regional and being a two seed or maybe even a three seed maybe out the window right now. So big weekend of baseball coming up, but a lot to talk about before that, including the remnants of the Kentucky Derby. We'll talk with Kenny Rice to look ahead of the Preakness that comes up in our number two, and Keith Farmer's also going to join us. He covered the derby, and we'll also talk basketball with Kman because we have a new Kentucky Wildcat to talk about. He is Rhyes Potter, and we thought that the roster news would end, at least for the time being with a yellich the kid from Croatia. But a day or two later comes word that Potter is entertaining an offer to come through the portal and transfer from Miami where he signed after playing at Alectiondon Catholic and become a Kentucky Wildcat. Sure enough, the word leaked out on Sunday and it kind of made the rounds on social media yesterday. So I had a chance to touch base with Reese and he will join us at the bottom of the hour. So coming up at the bottom of the Hour, former Lexington Catholic Knight, former Miami of Ohio Redhawk, and now a brand new Kentucky wildead Reese Potter. He is listed at seven to one two fifteen, two fifteen. I mean that's slender, but you know, if he plays as much out on the floor as he does under the bucket, he'll be okay. And he played well at Miami of Ohio, played about that eighteen twenty minutes a game, averaged six or seven points, average, nearly four rebounds a game in less than a half of basketball. So he will help this Kentucky team with depth and he will get better of course playing against the likes in practice of Yelich and Garrison and Malik I'm Moreno and all these guys. But we'll meet Rehyes Potter. I've never interviewed the guy. We'll talk to him at the bottom of the hour while we're on UK basketball. If you followed, and many of you did, last year the basketball tournament TBT LAFA media, the Kentucky team is pulling itself together again. And the word came out over the last twenty four to forty eight hours that Andrew and Aaron Harrison would be playing once again for La Familla. And if you recall that Kentucky team last year did really well, did not win. It lost to the team that eventually won it called Carmen's Crew. This was the team that was the team primarily made up of Ohio State players former Ohio State players, and in fact, the MVP for the tournament, the basketball Tournament for the second time this past year, was Jared Sellinger and he might recall he's the guy who bumped into Josh Harrelson a few times in a NSA a tournament game against the Wildcats and Harrison hurled the ball at him and it was part of a Kentucky upset that included a huge three pointer by DeAndre Liggins, who will play for TBT or in TBT for the Wildcats. But the biggest news game with the Harrison's coming back. And remember now this is a tournament where the games can be decided at a certain point. They might not go to the conclusion if it reaches a certain points spread at a certain time. Game over and against Louisville the Ville last year in the quarterfinals, it was Aaron Harrison who hit a huge shot that ended the game and then you might recall it was almost predictable. It was so chippy that there was I don't know what you want to call it, pushing and shoving, you know, all that kind of silliness that can go on. And it indeed happened last year between Laville and La Familla, but that was in the quarters and up in Philly, I believe it was. And then the Wildcats, primarily the Lafamia team lost in the next round of Carmen's Crew, which after that beat a team made up primarily players from Houston Forever Koogs. So the Harrison brothers are back, and if you go to YouTube you can watch a couple of montages of the huge NC tournament games won by huge shots from Aaron Harrison. Here's a little bit of the audio. Harrison back out to Rama, driving up Blasture feeds the corner.
Speaker 2: Harris the chops eight ten sentenced of.
Speaker 3: The purpose like the space you get a contest a charity better and what a shot?
Speaker 1: After Harrison underneath bounced to the Carmie shops and back outside.
Speaker 3: This is the point where he always hits it.
Speaker 2: Wow, my money from Sun, Let's.
Speaker 1: Turnt it again. Kind of fun to relive those I had forgotten it. On the Wisconsin shot, his brother fed him the ball Andrew got the assist. If you know you follow such things on that and then against Michigan you might recall this. It was a step back. It was a little jab step. I don't know if he was planning on trying to drive or just setting up his defender, but he used a jab step and then stepped back and drained it. And those moments were just phenomenal. And you've got to remember those plays when you think back to how frustrated you were and everybody was, and the loss to Wisconsin in twenty fifteen, and I know that there was some sentiment leading into that game that cali Peri wasn't subbing enough because in the middle of a news conference at one point, Calipari was talking about the Harrisons and he stopped himself and he looked up and he said, you know they're carrying us right now, don't you to the media. And in fact, to a degree, they were. But I'll never forget neither were you that lost to Wisconsin in twenty fifteen when they could not, even with the hairs in the game, couldn't get off a shot for three straight possessions and over on the bench say hello to Devin Booker. I know, not the same Devin Booker he is now, But back then he could get off a shot. And you know who might have been better at doing that, Tyler Eulis, who could have left somebody in the dust and gotten the ball up in the rim at least. And yes, I know there would have been challenges defensively. I'm not saying put them both in. You put one or the other end. Wisconsin with bigger guards would have had a field day at the other end, although Eulis was a hell of a defensive player, but you know what you sew them. I mean, I still oh man, I'm sure it bothers you as well. But any other Harrisons are back and the TVT was a lot of fun last year in Kentucky's kids played hard, they played well, they took it seriously, they practiced well, and it's a great event. Make some money. Speaking of money, ESPN is reporting a big dollars thanks to college sports ad revenue. It's not actually technically ESPN reporting it, it's Sports Business Journal. There's a story out right now that says the network has increased its ad revenue generated from college sports by are you ready forty two percent year over year. Now, this coincides with the expansion of the college football Playoff, with those eight additional huge games for ESPN to sell to advertisers. And by the way, two of those games are on TNT. ESPN kept the ad money. There you go. But it's not just football. Add inventory on college sports such as basketball, baseball, softball, those sports, the non revenue quote unquote sports have combined for an eleven percent year over year increase in AD revenue. You know what else? Volleyball is making money now for ESPN. And yeah, disclosure, I work for SEC plus, owned by ESPN. I don't know what kind of money they make. I know they don't spend a lot on SEC plus because, for one thing, a lot of those broadcasts are primarily manned by students. Doug Flynn and I we are not well, we're students of life, students of the game. But what I'm telling you is they are modestly crewed. We have a great crew, we really do, and modestly but properly equipped on the SEC level. So I'd love to know how much money comes from SEC plus. Probably not a whole lot since it's streaming, but it's all part of one big package. And thank you college sportion. If you're ESPN, you're saying thank you to the Southeastern Conference. Yeah, the Big Ten network makes a lot of money. ESPN does not own the Big Ten Network. It owns the SEC Network and the ACC Network, among others, and those are the big money makers. So anytime you hear about a decision being made that will favor not just college football but SEC football, if ESPN is anywhere lurking, you got to think they're involved, or at least they're trying to influence the situation because that's what's paying their bills right now, and that shouldn't be a surprise. Coming up to the bottom of the hour, Reese Potter, the newest Wildcat, stay with us here on the Big Blue Sider six point thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider. Coming up next, Reese Potter, the former election and Catholic Knight and former Miami of isle Redhawk, now a Kentucky Wildcat, will join us and talk about his decision to step into the portal and emerge as a Kentucky Wildcat. Good could have gone to a lot of places said he studied on it, did not do the knee jerk thing and say yes and immediately to Mark Pope and Cody Fieger. But he now is a wildcat and this is going to be one big, big team. There's going to be a lot of size on this ball club. It's going to be interesting to see how Mark Polpe deals with it. But he's got a lot of size and a lot of talent. Coming up in our number two, Kenny Rice of NBC Sports, we'll talk Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Basketball seam with Keith Farmer of LAX eighteen. Both of those guys water logged on Derby Day, but we'll talk to Kyman. We're also going to talk to Keith about a story involving Jack Gibbons in his new book. Well it's not new anymore. Really, it's been out there for a while, but more and more people being exposed to They call me goose and came in. We'll have more information on that coming up in our number two. You might have seen a story about that on Channel eighteen and again just on Behalf of My Buddy Jack. I urge you to check it out if you're a Kentucky fan, if you've grown up in central Kentucky. It's really really interesting and it's a fun read. I saw this, of course, I'm watching Derby coverage, and if you were too, you noticed it, or you may have not noticed it, but it just kind of happened. Mike Terrico opened the broadcast on NBC. It started off on USA Network and it was anchored by Ahmed far Reid, who's really good, and then they turned it over to NBC. They basically said, all right, our coverage is gonna shift over to NBC and you know more coming up. Blah blah blah. So there's Turco and they had just gotten started when I looked up and there's Ahmed Farid and he was doing a little stand up piece for NBC. But then the next thing you know, he's back at the anchor desk. Was Randy Moss and Jerry Bailey I think are terrific. They do a tremendous job covering the Derby, those two guys, and so does far Reid, and Tarico's done a nice job. I sure wish to Hammond was still on the broadcast, but Thiiko does a nice job. But the next thing you know, he's gone, and for Reed had taken over, and eventually he got the opportunity to say, Mike's not feeling well, so I'll be here for a little while. And in fact he finished the day as I recall, and he spent four straight hours handling the coverage and did a great job. And he talked about it later on to a media outlet. He said he got done with the coverage on USA at two point thirty, took off his mic, took out his earpiece. He says, he was leaving the little studio there. He said, I bumped into Mike and Tarico stopped him, and he could tell that something was wrong for Reid could He said he didn't look quite the same, said I think his eyes were watering a little bit, and he Perico said to him, I'm not feeling great. You might have to take over for me, and Fared said, that's a shock, because Mike is a machine. So Fared said to himself, Okay, he's not feeling well, but there's no way Mike's not going to be able to power through this, which he tried for thirty to forty five minutes, but apparently Tarico just took Kip taking turns for the worse and worse, and at one point Afreid had his ear piece back in and about forty five minutes later, they got in his ear and said you got to come back and host the show, which he did and was terrific. And that happens every once in a great while, somebody has to step in for somebody. And I almost had a situation like that, and I bring it up only because it's one of my great regrets. I was working the twenty seven NCAA tournament. I think the baseball team was out of town that weekend, and by now I had wrapped up the years I had worked for the nca radio network. But I'm in Rapperina, And that was the tournament where Billy Gillespie's A and M team emerged and beat Louisville, and people mistakenly thought that Mitch Barnard was courtside watching Billy beat Louisville. That's when he decided to hire him. No, Mitch was in Chicago with Kentucky. But that win and that weekend for Billy Gillespie cemented him as the hottest coach in America. But I digress across the way is a guy named Dave Simms, who's now the radio voice of the New York Yankees. For many, many years, he was the voice of the Seattle Mariners. Lives in New York, commuted to Seattle. You know, he had a place out there and he stay. He is one of my all time favorite broadcasters. I have never met the man, but he's tremendous. I just love his work. So he's over there and he's working radio in Say Radio with Dave Gavitt, And I'd worked with Dave as a producer for Ensay Radio. But the next thing I know, Gavitt's gone, and I come to find out that Gavitt, liked Turrico, had been under the weather. The former Providence coach, the former head of the Big East. He had had to leave. He had had to go and get medical help and he ended up being really sick after that weekend. I don't know if he ever worked again for the NCAA Radio network. But little did I know that one of the producers for the nca Radio network who also worked with us on the UK network, Mike Dodson, he was up in New York, but he had a feeling that I was going to be in Raperena. So he starts calling me or trying to call me, to tell me to walk across the court and sit down and do the game with Dave Gavit, at least doing them that day, because I mean it was literally last minute. Well, I had a cell phone back then, company phone. I was working at IMG. I'm not going to say the brand, but it's not what I've got now, and it was a piece of junk, and he might kept trying to call me and could not get through to me. I had my phone right in front of me, could not get into Rupperina. So many people, so many people on their phones in Rupperena, couldn't text me, couldn't get anything through to me, and tell me to walk across and sit down and work with a guy I had idolized for so long. I get somebody else to do it. I think the next day they had Kyle Macy come in and work with Dave. But that's the first thing I thought of when I heard and sell the rest of the story on NBC covers. If far Reid had sat down and spent so much time subbing from Mike Tariko and did a terrific job. Of course, he already had complete command of the material. I would have been flying by the seat of my pants, broadcasting two games, doing the color for crying out loud. But really I just would have been filling in, trying to stay out of the way of the great Dave Simms. And now he is the radio voice. It's a job he's always wanted, he said, being the radio voice of the New York Yankees. So Aaron Gershaan can enjoy him if he pulls him up online. But I'm sure I've got I've got to look around and see. There are other stories like that where people step in at the last minute. And I'm not saying I would have done a great job, but it would have been a thrill for me. I can tell you that. And I wouldn't tell them this, but I would have done it for free. Coming up next, Rhys Potter, the former like you said, Catholic Knight now a Kentucky Wildcat. Later on Kenny Rice Keith Farmer on six thirty w Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider. Joining us now from right now is his dorm room at the Miami Ohio is Rhyes Potter of the Newest Wildcat. Congratulations and I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: It's been a lifelong dream of mind. So this is so real for me.
Speaker 1: I had a feeling you're going to say that. So let's let's start with when you were growing up always a Wildcat fan. What are your earliest memories?
Speaker 4: You know, growing up as a Wildcats fan and liked it. I mean I was always the thing. You're either a Kentucky fan or a Lobal fan, so I think elected it. I was definitely a Kentucky fan, so I grew to love the program. And you know, it was kind of all everybody knows is to be a Kentucky fan. Everybody knows that when a Kentucky basketball game is, when a Kentucky football game is. So it's the big deal around here.
Speaker 1: And I guess was Tubby coaching when you were growing up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it with him and mostly cal Yeah, mostly the years I remember of the cal Era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you do you remember any specific players that really excited.
Speaker 4: You would probably say John wall I mean that was always a big thing. Wall dance when I was younger, So you know, that was always the player everybody was most excited about. Every little kid used to do his little dance, So you know, that was probably, you know, the best and earliest memory.
Speaker 1: I have, although your game is a little bit different from his, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I wish I could say I was as stass as him and you know, as good as him, but yeah, it's a little it's a little different.
Speaker 1: You're you're a pretty tall guy. Were you tall growing up? I mean, was it always basketball for you?
Speaker 4: It wasn't always basketball for me. I was always kind of I was always taller, but I was never really you know, that much taller than everybody. But I just kept steadily growing, and so everybody kind of peaked and I just I just kept steadily growing, you know, a couple of inches every year. So I kind of kind of what what happened to me?
Speaker 1: Well, and that happens to most kids that way as well. And then when you got a chance to play college ball, what I mean again, Miami is a great school, the best option for you at the time, though, right.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was probably not the most highly rated school for sure, But you know, I believe in coach Steel, I believe in the staff. So that's kind of the place that I knew kind of was going to be.
Speaker 1: Home originally, and you guys are coming off a great year. You drop a heartbreaker in the MAC title game. But next thing, you know, you're in a portal. What led to your decision to see? You what else is out there?
Speaker 4: Just kind of just combined up a couple of things. You know, I love my time at Miami. I had no complaints. You know, Coach Steel, Coach Smith, and you know, Coach Home and Coach Ridgeburg. You know, we were great to me. You know, they they kind of helped me get where it's where I am today, and I have nothing but the thanks and gratitudes towards them. So, you know, I kind of wanted to, you know, move on to a little little, bigger things. You know, I wanted to compete for national championships. You know that kind of the thing I've always you know, growing up in high school and stuff. You know, the big deal was that you weren't gonna win your you weren't supposed to win your city or your region. The goal with the win the state title. So that've kind of kind of always been in my mindset. You got to win the big thing. So that's kind of the big difference between Miami and here. You know, Miami, you always kind of like the under dog and you're always trying to compete for mac championships. But you know, Kentucky, you're competing for banners, you're competing for you know, national championships. So that's kind of something I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: When you entered the portal, did you know Mark Pope was looking for one more person?
Speaker 4: I know, so, I mean they were still constructing the rest of the roster, recruiting some other people. So they started recruiting me a month ago, and then kind of knew all along that that's kind of where I wanted to go once they reached out to me, you know, but you know, I wanted to take my time, you know, see some other things. But you know, growing up as an electioning kid, I always knew, you know, if you if I ever had the chance talking it than now. So like I always knew, you know, after they reached out to me, that's where I wanted to go. You know, Kentucky kind of recruits itself, you know. You know, anybody who turned down the blue and white and the Kentucky on the front of the jersey, I think it's honestly crazy that that being growing up, being a electioning kid, so you know it's a little different for me than you know, maybe some other people.
Speaker 1: Talking to Reese Potter, who is the newest Kentucky Wildcats stepped into the portal and emerged a Wildcat. So tell me about that first phone call I had that happened. What was your reaction?
Speaker 4: That's so triest figure reached out to me, you know, he texted me, and I didn't believe it at first time. You honest, I was actually lected him. So I thought one of my friends is playing a joke on he or Frank, you know, never really thought that that was the opportunity that would come. And as soon as he reached out to me and I told him, you know, that's that's something I'm definitely interested in. And then Coach Pope, you know, facetimeed me. Actually he was in the middle of the you know, LA airport, and he took the time as the day, you know, call and talk to me, and you know, it was just a surreal moment. You know, growing up watching Coach Hope, you know he was able to you know, win a banner here and he just you know, kind of talked about how much everybody likes him, loved him, and how much they like wrapped their arms around him and welcome him home. You know, it's like, you know, that definitely interested me and something that I like, you know, I look forward to being able to do.
Speaker 1: I've been able to sit across from Mark as a as a coach and a player that that energy is infectious. What is it like as a recruit when it's coming through that computer screen and he's talking to you about maybe joining his team?
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's crazy, you know how much energy has He's just a very passionate person for this game, and you know the game has been really good for him. So you know, sometimes on screen you might think he's you know, he's taking there or something like that, but like I can say with the Hartson, you know, he's not taking it. He's just a very positive guy and very confident guy. He's feels confident in his players and so that's the way you know, he wants his players to play. And you know he's he's a very happy individual for sure.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to describe him. He's happy and the people around him are and it makes it easier, I guess, for them to work for him. And play for him. You mentioned that you wanted to take your time though. How difficult was that, Reef, Because again election and kid, you'd always wanted to be a wildcat. The knee jerk reaction would have been, yeah, I'm coming yesterday, but you did the mature thing and took your time. Tell me about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I mean it was really it was really hard. You know, as soon as they contacted me right away, I wanted to be like, yeah, that's where I'm coming, but like, I mean, all along, that's kind of where my mindset was. But I just wanted to take my time. You make sure see all my other options that you know, my mind never changed. I always knew that's where I wanted to kind of as soon as they contacted me, Well, now you.
Speaker 1: Know, there's a there's a pretty good looking roster right now with some size. Obviously you're going to learn a lot in practice and then, uh, you know, go up against some good players. Tell me about fighting for minutes. You're gonna have to do that probably anywhere you went though, right yes.
Speaker 4: There, So I'm really looking forward to it, you know, ready to get everybody better, for them to make me better. So I'm really looking forward to it. You know, you know, everybody on this roster, the NBA prospect though huge. I mean, this team is you know, very well constructed, and you know it's gonna be really fun competing with these guys and getting to know these guys.
Speaker 1: What did Mark Pope tell you about his offensive system? Because it's a little different, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little different. So it's more of an NBA style offense, you know, which is kind of kind of becoming a thing in college now, but not completely. You know, the more fought out, you know, fast flawing offense, you know, kind of running gun is kind of kind of the offense in my opinion. So that's kind of something that you know, the NBA does, and that's kind of the dream is to get there, so you know, they do it and then they're able to get their players to it.
Speaker 1: So we saw Amari Williams shoot threes, We saw Brandon Garrison shoot threes. How's your three point game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty good. So I feel like my career three point percent is pretty solid in my opinion, So you know, I'm just looking to improve that a little bit and keep keep keep that going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at your numbers. As a freshman, you had forty five percent of your triples thirty seven percent as a sophomore. Did the offense at Miami allow for that kind of freedom?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So, I mean it was kind of a little similar but a little different to the Kentucky offense. So it's definitely something that I'm going to have to get to know. But it's definitely something that's in my game to be able to, you know, pull it from deep and face the floor for get everybody else you know involved.
Speaker 1: You average seventeen minutes a game and nearly four rebounds a game. I got to think you take a lot of pride in that part of your game, Am I right?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah, I mean that's you know, when you're out there, you're the big man, so you got to you got to make sure to clean everything up. So that's definitely playing I look to improve and just keep going.
Speaker 1: How's your defense?
Speaker 4: Uh? Pretty good? So last year my team, you know, we took pride in our defense and being able to you know, switch one through five. So that's definitely playing out. It was really fun to me to be able to challenge myself to go and get smaller, more quicker guards. So it's definitely playing that I look forward to improving and just keep doing because I feel like I do it at a pretty good level right now.
Speaker 1: Is that something that you particularly like doing block shots? I know a lot of big guys really they make it an art form.
Speaker 4: Yes, for sure. I mean it's definitely fun to go over there and block something that's kind of I mean that's like kind of our our two points, you know, kind of being able to clean everything else and you know, making off for a mistakes. It's definitely definitely fun to block a shot, you know, get get gets the crowd going, for sure.
Speaker 1: Do you know any of the guys on the roster right now?
Speaker 4: I know a few people. So I grew up with Malachi and Jasper and then kind of I played against her in a couple of times. So so I know a couple of guys pretty well. So I'm looking forward to, you know, learning about everybody else.
Speaker 1: How did you cross pass with Malachi and Jasper?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: So, Jasper actually lives like five minutes from my house. I've always played on like similar teams with him and always so he went to Woodford County originally, and so he went to Carter g in middle school, so playing against him in middle school and then we played on the similar age team, so I always kind of kept close with him, and you know, he was always a similar tournament, so I was able to you know, watch him because he was in a younger age. And then Malachi obviously was at Great Crossing for his whole career, so I was able to play against him a couple of times and just you know, grow a friendship from that, being able to battle it out on the court and then you know, you know, the friends off the court.
Speaker 1: Hey, I was gonna say, how did you do against him?
Speaker 4: Oh? I feel like I did pretty good. I know he would probably say it'd probably say otherwise, But I feel like he's got a got a pretty bad record against me, is what I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, yeah, but now he's got a state championship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got a state championship. But you know, I'd like to say my senior year he was going to against me. Oh that's that's where what I get him with. But you know, he does have the state championship. I mean, obviously he's a great player. I mean, he's on draft boards for a reason. He's a great, great, great individual and he's gonna do great things next year. People are gonna look forward to Washington play.
Speaker 1: Talking to Reese Potter, he is the newest Wildcat, came through the transfer portal and we'll play for the Wildcats this coming season. And you've had to make now two major decisions in your life. What's that been like because that first time you signed a scholarship, you know, I know your parents are there to help you, but that's something that you got to decide and you had to do it again. Is it an enjoyable process?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say it was probably the most enjoyable process, but when you know, schools like Kentucky reach out to you, and it definitely definitely bring the brings the life back into Bath and makes the fun being able to you know, come back home and play for the premiere program and you know, play in front of you know, a bunch of crazy fans and big Blue Nation. Because so wasn't that hard of a decision the second time around? You know, the first time around was a little tougher, you know, but you know, second time around, I kind of knew knew what I was looking for. Knew what I liked to play, and you know, I mean, it's impossible to turn down. You know, Coach Post's offer is.
Speaker 1: Reese Potter, the newest Kentucky Wildcat transferring in from Miami of Ohio. We'll talk more UK hoops with Reese on the other side of the break here on six thirty w Welcome back to the Big Moon Sider Dick Gabriel with you. We're chatting with Reese Potter, formerly of Lexington Catholic High School, attended Miami of Ohio, but just over the weekend stepped into the transfer portal and came out a Kentucky Wildcat. As I understand it, it happened fairly quickly once you decided to make this move. Tell me that happened. It happened over the weekend, Am I right?
Speaker 4: So I texted Coach Poe or Coach Pope and Coach Steger last night letting them know that this is what I want to do. So I don't really know exactly how it got out leaked, but you know, these fans are crazy and I'm looking forward to playing front in front of them and you know, making them proud hopefully because you know, Kentucky's the you know the school, and you know that look forward to playing in front of these fans.
Speaker 1: Well, I was about to ask you, what do you think it's going to be like now? Because you're a hometown kid, and I remember Joe B. Hall telling me that he he kind of was very cautious about signing local kids because there's so much more pressure from fans and family and you know, your minister and your mailman, you know, about what are you gonna do when you're gonna play more minutes stuff like that. Uh, you're a little older now, you're more mature. Do you feel like you're better equipped to handle that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely feel like i'd be better. Bet I'm more equipped for it now. You know, I've played two years of college basketball clock, so I kind of know what it's like, you know. But I you know, I never really realized how crazy would be, you know, as a likening kid, always knew how how crazy these fans are and how much they love their program, but I didn't realize it was it was this much. So it's definitely something I didn't realize, but I kind of did. So I have no idea. I don't have any idea, how it is going to be able to put on that the first time I walk out in front of these fans. It's gonna it's gonna be a surreal moment for sure, and it's definitely gonna be something on the cherish for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: You've played in reperena though, haven't you.
Speaker 4: I haven't, so yeah, yeah, I feel like I've had I don't even know I only had two. I had two to three losses every year in high school, but I lost in Norwegian Championship one. Yeah it was rough, you know, every year, but like I was ranked, we were ranked, like the Catholic was ranked number one for the whole year, and then we always we always fell short of the goal. But you know something, you to be a blessing to finally be on that Court's definitely feeling, you know, I wanted to do in high school, but you know, now I'm got to do it. So it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: And now that you have signed, you say you have a better idea how crazy these fans are.
Speaker 5: I feel like I have a.
Speaker 4: Better idea, but definitely, I don't think any of us kind of know how how crazy it's going to be you know some of these some of the players that have played before me, you know, read mister Shepherd, Coach Pope and you know, and Travis have told me how how crazy it is and like you'll never really expect it or realize it until you actually do it. So looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: What's your phone been like since the word got out?
Speaker 4: Man, it's been blowing up. You know. I'm just extremely grateful for all these all these fans taking me in and welcomed me home. So you know, it's been a it's been a real blessing. So yeah, it's it's been a lot, a lot of buzz and a lot of people reaching out to me, which is which which is all love? And so I really really appreciate them all.
Speaker 1: What about your folks, What about your family? What's their reaction?
Speaker 4: You know, my parents love it when I when I was when they originally reached out to me, you know, that was my My parents both went to Kentucky, so or my dad went Kentucky and my mom grew up here, so you know, they always kind of they always kind of knew how crazy this this place was and this program is and how much they love their players, so they were able to kind of tell me how it was to be able to go to Kentucky and live around these people and like it in all their lives. So you know, they're super proud of me, and then they're they're really grateful for this opportunity.
Speaker 1: I have no doubt. I mean, it's one thing to land, to scolly take that off your parents' shoulders you're paying for school or having your school pay But now to be able to come home and play, that's something else. And like you said, you've got a pretty good idea of what Kentucky fans are like. But just to hear that noise in Repperena, I assume you went to games growing up in Reperina.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, sir, I went to a few games that noise. Definitely, when when stuff happens, it's different. There's no place, there's no place in the country like it, for sure.
Speaker 1: Did you see the Mark Pope interview with John Rostein last week on YouTube or.
Speaker 4: I've seen a couple of his interviews, but I don't know if Hock seen. I'm not sure if Hock seen that one.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you know, man, So get on YouTube and just type in Mark Pope and I guarantee you that's the first thing that'll come up. Because Rostein is him, he's with cbssports dot com. He breaks down the roster, Uh, new guys, guys coming back and all that. And you think Mark Pope's excited. Listen to him describe And this is before you had made your decision. You know what he's got coming in and how this team is coming together. When when you looked at that roster, how excited did you get?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very excited. Before even I committed, I knew like how great this team is going to be next year, and how well this team is gonna glue together and they're gonna you know, this team's really got a chance to, you know, do something special, do something that not a lot of groups are gonna, you know, be able to say, you know, even before the season starts, you know, this group has a has a real chance of winning it all. So that's just something that I look forward to doing, you know, competing every day.
Speaker 1: I know you were busy with your career at Miami and school and all that. Did you ever have a chance to watch Kentucky play during the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was able to. I was able to watch them. You know, a couple of times, I felt like most of the time we always played at the same time, so it was a little bit of a struggle. But yeah, I was able to see, you know, some last year. You know, the team had a great, great run last year, and so that's something that we look to improve on and you know, keep going.
Speaker 1: When you were watching that Mark Pope offense, did you have any thoughts like what are they doing? Or or you said it was similar to Miami, So did it just look familiar to you?
Speaker 4: It looks a little familiar.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: When I was watching last year, I was watching more of as a fan. I'm more more of a fan than like more you know, judgmental, you know, studying it really so you know, I kind of know kind of similar, know what it's similar like, but I don't completely know for sure, but I'm looking forward to learning it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you I'm happy for you, happy for your family, and I appreciate your time. I know you've got finals coming up. You're gonna be able to concentrate race, You're gonna be able to zero in on the books because without letting your mind wander back to lectioning.
Speaker 4: In yes, sir, so, I mean, my mind's nothing going to wonder. I don't know if there's anything being able to control that, but yeah, definitely definitely got to finish up here and then and then you know, get down to electioning. Then you know, enjoy enjoying my time there for the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: And I'll let you go with this. What are you doing this summer? Are you playing going to play much ball? Do you didn't even know yet?
Speaker 4: I definitely gonna play a lot of balls, so, you know, to as files a wrap up, I'm definitely gonna start getting to work and you know, get down to the Craft center and start start growing myself and start to start to develop the process.
Speaker 1: Just pick up games with your new teammates, right.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm looking forward to it. I think a lot of us are looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: You know, to be some great games for sure, I would imagine. Hey man, thank you so much, congratulations, best of luck. Looking forward to meeting you in person when you get here.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, I appreciate you reaching out.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks and great job on the interview, and they'll let you know what it airs.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: End up next and now number two. We'll talk with Kenny Rice of NBC Sports about UK basketball and of course the Kentucky Derby. Also Keith Farmer from w l e X Channel eighteen and BBN Tonight also covered the Derby. Also covered Rhys Potter in high school. So we'll talk Kentucky hoops with Tea Man as well. That's on the other side of the news break. You're on six thirty wlapetet sutact Senat. It's Kenny three two one, Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider and joining us now is a longtime friend and a guy you see during, among other things, Triple Crown coverage of a third a racing mister Kenny Rice, longtime sports director WTVQ. Are you dry it out yet? From Derby one fifty one?
Speaker 3: Dick, my great friend. I am doing better. My feet are still a little wet, but you know, usually takes about five six days and they'll be good.
Speaker 4: I'll be.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not I'd rether work in a cooler climate, honestly than than a hotter one. But we could do without the rain. But I've worked in I've worked in worse conditions. As you know, you have two at the Derby's. We've seen some really nasty ones. This wasn't too bad.
Speaker 1: I remember the year it seemed like it was snowing, you know, I mean just a little yeah, you know, we joke about the rain, Kenny. But you, being the veteran that you are, you know where to hide, you know where to just step in, and you're welcome in any barn. So if the rain starts coming down, you can you can pretty much hide from it. But there are times you just got to step out into it, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Dick, as you know, there are advantages to longevity because you do build up some friendships, at least some relationships, and yeah, you can always slide under a shed row or you know, pop in a stall when we're back over the paddock. So you know, we kind of we kind of try to work around that as much as possible. Then, yeah, and you got to pop out someday. You know, you can't hide forever, so you try to you try to time it, but of course you're on a time schedule, as you know, Like if they're coming to me at four twenty, they don't care if it's a downpour or a sprinkle. I got to be in this perceipt. I gotta be in front of like Baffort's barn.
Speaker 4: At four twenty.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I've had I've had worse days. My hair, Dick, you know that's the most.
Speaker 4: Important thing to me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it was. But you had a team of specialists right there though, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm peeling, peeling, peeling grapes and massaging my neck. You know it's embarrassed, embarrassing the treatment.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about the race. As I recall, I mean, I parked myself in front of the TV. You uh, you picked journalism, I believe, as did I. Yes, and he ran a heck of a race. And I believe, if Memories serves your colleague Donna Barton Brothers picked sovereignty and stuck with it. Do I remember that, right?
Speaker 3: She picked sovereignty. She told a sovereignty I think on Thursday, Yeah, one of our early meetings. And yes, she's stuck with it. And I said, and she gets the double. I had good cheer, she had good cheer and sovereignty.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she bet it.
Speaker 4: I asked her.
Speaker 3: She never commented if she bet it. I said, I hope you did. Eddie Ochek certainly was MBS, as were me. I said, yeah, I wish we hadn't know that. Well, Soverigty wasn't like I was surprised at what he went off at. I mean, I didn't think that was the craziest pick, Sovereigty. I thought it was a solid pick. But I just thought journalism was the best horse. If I picked again, I'd pick journalism first. And I think as they separated coming down the streets, the best two horses were sovereignty and journalists yep, yep.
Speaker 1: And I thought my ASA was one of the top three and he was there, so yeah, so yeah. And by the way, I also had the double but full disclosure, I took the favorite and the oaks good cheer and then use that all button, so well it's good cheer got home in the ILK. So I'm like, I'm a winner, but you know, it didn't it didn't even cover my initial bet. Uh yeah, here's the thing that I'm kicking myself. And I had Sovereignty in my second tier in my exotics, but I kind of kenny. I threw out the fact that Sovereignty had already won over the racetrack because it was an off track. And that's a good lesson to learn because you know that even when it's when it's wet like that, that's a really good racetrack. So if a horse likes the track, he's gonna.
Speaker 4: Like the track, right, That's it. That's it. You know.
Speaker 3: I did the same thing. I kept coming back. I kept coming back to Sandman too. I thought, well, you know, maybe it's gonna make a good run. I saw him win in Arkansas and but yeah, but you know, and there, you know, Bill Mott, you've got to be happy for the guy. It was funny on the on the post race, he corrected me. I don't know if you heard it, because I remember I said, you know, it's a very similar you know, kind of a dark, kind of drizzly day in nineteen when we waited twenty two minutes for find out that you won the derby with Country. He said, it was twenty three minutes. Everybody in the truck. I can hear him laughing in my ear.
Speaker 1: It's awesome, you know.
Speaker 3: And when we came back out, I think Randy and Jerry and Ahmed commented, is that twenty three twenty two? You know we're not going to debate a minute with the man that just was the Derby. But guy, as you know that they did seem like eternity man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You're right Bill Mott, who is from South Dakota. But yeah, you know, basically as coud Louisville as home base for the last forty odd years and just a classy part of the business, isn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when you talk about horsemen, you know there's a lot of trainers out there, but you know he's one of not a few, but there you know, it's about a fifty to fifty split on trainers and horsemen, I think. And he's a true horseman, you know, like people says he going to the pre I said, honestly, Bill Mott is one guy that will truly do what's good for the horse.
Speaker 5: Not that all the others wouldn't, but.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's auto maxim. Wait, I gotta go to Pretnis year I won the Derby, which would make sense, but or the horse is not ready to run, and it just stands out so much that you know they're gon gonna try to run the Freakness. But but Bill will make the right decision. I don't know what that'll be you know, like I say, he really does care and and it's just everything works out well for him this year, the last couple of years, you know, going back to the Cody's wish and all that. Yeah, and you know a guy like that, you know, you're happy for guys like that to you know, stayed the course and you know, getting I would say, getting what they deserve because they worked hard to earn what they're getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and he's been in a game. He's seventy one, which as we know, is not old, but no, that's the kid that's exactly many many years ahead of him. But yeah, he's just he's done everything right, you know, without controversy and things like that. And either he or the owner after the race, when they talked about what what lies ahead, you know, whether it's the Preakness or not, one of them said, sovereigns, he will tell us, which is clearly the way to go. And you and I have seen horse people wedge some of these horses into the Triple Crown Race and never have had any business being there. But I think that's the proper way to go. But the trouble is, Kenny and you and I have talked about this for years. Is getting the fans interested. And as you know, and there's a triple crown on the line, you've been at Belmont Park when there's you know, thirty thousand, You've been there when there's one hundred and thirty thousand. Because it's all about the triple Crown.
Speaker 3: It is I mean the Belmont. Now, for the horse people, I know this is different and that includes out most of the people listening your legs, I get that, But the Belmont is just another big race. If a triple crown that is on the line. For the rest of the world, Okay, for the rest of the country, it's like, hey, yeah, there's a big horse race in New York today that I don't know. Somebody won the Derby, somebody went I don't even know, and it shows in the ratings. I mean, the race can go. I think we had like twenty one million to watch the race itself at about seventeen million leading up to it. That number would drop off to like four million for the Belmont if there's not a triple crown. Maybe if you had, you know, two competitive horses. Let's say hypothetically that you know that the next race is won by journalism, So you got a little bit of a rival. You might get it up to six million, but that's it. You know, it's not going to come close to the numbers that the Derby is going to get. And that's really why NBC lost it is because they didn't want to pay New York Racing wanted pretty close to the equal amount that the Derby gets, and Fox is paying them a lot of money.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean they got the money to spend, I guess. And that's how that's how we lost the Triple Crown, you know as we call it now, we just call it the Double Crown now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, speaking of NBC, your ratings and congratulations were the highest since nineteen eighty nine when one of my all time favorites won it. Sunday silence. Yeah, do you guys even talk about ratings? Do they talk about it with you with talent?
Speaker 3: You know what they do is they send it out. We found out Sunday night about it. They send out a memo to all of us was and you know, naturally congratulated us and actually got a call from my boss yesterday, which you know the phone range he goes my goodness. I'd like to have done the preteness, but no, it was a good call. They said, yeah, good job, good job. Everybody did a good job, and the ratings popped up big. And why they popped up, I don't know, other than I guess I'm gonna say some of the Bob Baffert factor in there, because it wasn't like we wasn't like we had super horses, you know, where everybody who said, hey boy, this justify you know what about this too? You didn't race last year? And about this American pharaoh. I don't know if there was such a buzz about journalism or anybody else in the field other than the horse community. But for some reason, you know, it just clicked, and you know, thank goodness, that means we'll keep doing it. Actually, I think we got it for about another six years or something with Churchill.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's nice, excellent.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Kenny Rice of NBC Sports and we'll come back and talk a little bit more about the derby and about influencers, and we'll talk about the basketball cats as well. Here on six thirty w LA. Welcome back Kenny Rice as my guest. He is for the longest time covered the Triple Crown and other races for ESPN and an NBC, and if you got a race, he'll cover it for you. But I think you're just exclusively exclusively NBC anymore, right that that is correct?
Speaker 3: That is correct. You don't cut down on the W two's. The accountant likes that, so yes, yeah, just thing with them, this my twenty.
Speaker 5: Sixty year nice Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: Can't you know when Jack was just a little boy when I left Channel thirty six.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's very h I remember when he was a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate to be that guy, you know, because I don't know when I used to go back home and say, I remember when your little boys. I'm thirty years old now, you'll always be that little eight year old kid to me. And I thought then, and see, that's the way I kind of catch myself these days, you know, I remember your kids when they were little kids.
Speaker 1: You know, my son used to get in trouble in middle school now and then, you know, just just mischievous stuff. And a few years ago I bumped into his middle school principal. What became that boy of yours? I said, remember that kid who was always in trouble. He's a cop. So it comes full circle. Before we went on the air that we were talking about, uh, there was a there's a TikTok influencer involved in ownership. He's got twenty million viewers. Jason Worth, the baseball player back on center stage. He's already won a triple Crown race. I'm wondering, Kenny, do you feel like this might lead to more of new blood. I guess they say when it comes to ownership and involvement.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it might because I tell you they're both very active in trying to drum up support. I think what Jason walked around I think on Oaks Day, and he was looking for people that had mullets, I guess, and if you had one, you you know, a flying mohawk and the rare, rare chance that he won, he was going to invite them to come down to the winner. So people selected tour. He selected two or three people that had the best mullets. Nice that he ran into Oaks Day, you know, and some of the old guard may go hurr on Perora, you know, but let's face it, some goofy stuff like that, it doesn't hurt anybody and I think it makes it interesting. And you know, racing has to take a look at MMA and some of these other sports out there that continue to attract young people and realize, you know, they got to maybe change the system up. I know it sounds sacrilegious. Maybe have less time between races, you know, keep the action going. Kids seem to like that. Work out something with apps, Dick. I'm not going to say too much, and I don't want you to either, until the NPR gives us a deal, Like they pay these guys from New York to always come down tell them the same stuff they've been doing for twenty years. I want them to tell I want you know, if they cut me and you in on a deal, Dick will gladly sit down with them at the Jockey Club and everybody else that'll lay out something for They don't want to hear from anybody in the business. They want to hear from consultants that you know, you know they know about racing some but it's the same thing. Let's print up some T shirts. Hey, that's great, that'll get a kid. I don't what twenty one year old college kids don't want a T shirt, And you know they want to They want to know what's going on. You know, I think they kind of can start getting human versus human you know, you know, do you do you like this guy versus that guy? You know have my junior Albarez is going to win again? You know something that during the radio. But yeah, having the influence in there is huge. Nice guy too, met him for the first time. He's very friendly West Point. They're very you know, different. Uh, you know, I don't want to stereo if they're growing up in eastern Kentucky. I hate stereotypes, right, so I sure didn't want to do this, but you know this was a very articulate young guy, well, you know, well dressed, mannered and and yeah, I mean people like him. I don't know what an influencer is. You're my influencer, I said, want to Dabriel do it down the show. But aside from that, I don't pay attention to it. You know, I don't need somebody. I don't need to look and say Brittany or I love work for Britney. Brittany said, do you ever talk about going on and building up your audience by by like a series of showing which ties what tie? Should I work to the Derby today because she does that like with her outfits. I said, really, really, you know, you know, I said, forget everybody else. You know, you know about five or six of my friends. What the answer would be if I said, which, Hi, guys, should I wear it today?
Speaker 1: You know, let me know ahead of time if you're ever going to do that. I need to be parked in front of the TV for that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: One thing about that kid, the influencer, I cannot recall his name, but I saw an interview with him both before and after the race. He's not just along for the ride either. He's really into the sport, which I think really helps. And when while we're talking about online presence, I really it's part of it is because kind of on a whim, I jumped into my race horse venue and I owned a piece of authentic and so now I've got to now I own some of the breeding rights. I mean, I get a couple of bucks, but I can say I own a tiny piece of a Derby winner, and I bought a couple more shares of other horses trained by Bob Bafford, by the way, But I think that I I think if that can really take hold and catch on. I think that's going to be big for younger people. Not than I'm one of them, but four younger people THEO might want to get involved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: And Griffin Johnson, I just now thought of his name, and I just met him for the first time. I told him, I said, Griffin Johnson.
Speaker 4: He said yes.
Speaker 3: I said, I just want to say your name out loud, making sure I got it right. We're going to be on it in about fifteen seconds that we were. And Terry Feeler I know for like twenty five years. But anyway, so he yeah, he he, he actually knows it. Like you said, that was the key. He's not just some guy said. You know, I've got some money because I've got a you know, I think he's got like twelve or fifteen million followers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe more than that. I know, hard to believe. I'm not on TikTok.
Speaker 3: I know I'm amaz you know, you know me the social maven that I am. Anyway, he yeah, you know, he But but like I said, he's done these little videos. I watched some of the videos after where he's talking about you had tough luck, but he's staying with racing and explain why. And I mean, got to be honest, he's more articulate than some of these people. Has been doing this for thirty years, some of these owners and trainers, and I agree, I think that way that that's exactly what racing needs. What I hope they do is really, you know, stay with it and not get too carried away and think everybody's going to be an influencer. You know, you've got to have guys that really want to do the business, not just pop up. And I think he's a guy that really wants to do the business. And obviously worth is he got. He got Barry the executive for the for the San Francisco Giants involved, you know, so he's really like he's reaching out to get people.
Speaker 4: I mean he was.
Speaker 3: I saw him up there. You couldn't miss him by the way you see that. Yeah, and you know, but he always comes by and he's really happy guy and he gives you a big hug.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 3: I always asking me about John Shelby because he played for the you know, when he was with Shelby with the Dodgers, you know, and Shelby said, I walked over with him last year and Shelby sitting at text said, hey, say, I had Jason work and I didn't put it all together, you know at the moment, you because I think mostly Phillies and Nationals. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, he has a house tea doing I say, I guess he's doing good. Who was up at the derby by the way, and I didn't get a chance to catch up with him because, as you know, the derby's not a good day to be social, at least if you're working.
Speaker 1: It's not a good day, especially if you're stuck in one place as you are. I got a couple of minutes left. But earlier on the show, I had a young man from Lexingon who transferring down from Miami to UK, and I was I was talking to him about the fact that Joe B.
Speaker 6: Hall.
Speaker 1: You might recall this, Joe B used to catch a lot of flak and when you were covering sports in election in high school, basketball was much more front and center. It took I think, really a national spotlight. But Joe B would hesitate to recruit a local kid because he knew the pressure that a local was going to be under. You know, why why aren't you playing more? Mom and dad and family? And neighbors and all that. But I kind of flashed back on that Joe Hall era. But it's good to have a lection and kid back on the team, isn't it.
Speaker 4: You know it is?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'd love to have these local kids. I think there's just a rooting interest. I don't know him. I don't Malaca Moreno personally. His mom plays at Bria Christian Churse of Piano. Where we go, he plays piano, And I remember Jasper Johnson when he's a kid, because you.
Speaker 5: Know, like you you know, I've known the whole family.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I root for that. I hope this guy does well. I tell you what he's got. This guy has got a lot of guts. And I say that at all respect to step in. You know, there's a pretty good guys in there that hope's already lined up and he feels that he can step in there and bang with him. I say good for him, because you know, if you shy away from that, you don't want the guys sit reluctantly. I think I might play apparently. You know, he's got a good attitude and got the confidence, and I don't think you can have, you know, with and reason enough Kentuckians on the team. I think that really helps everyone bond a little more, you know, rooting interesting things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I know you as an Eastern Kentucky and you're rooting for Trent Noah, you hated to see Travis Perry leave, but he's got to do him and he landed in a pretty good spot at Ole Miss.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it was a good move for him. You know, the guy can shoot, and I think it'll work. I think it'll work out better. And he was recruited by Beard in the first place, right we el, so it wasn't like they were unknown to each other. So I think it was a good move for him. And uh, you know, look, he's down in the western part of the States. Like our good friend Rodney Woods was almost ten a z years ago, you know when he played for the ball. So I wish him well. And no, I think it's pretty good. You know, he's got good size on him, He's got a little hype. He's got the size that you know Perry didn't have. I think that gives him a little luge too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and he's got that Eastern Kentucky grit like you.
Speaker 3: So uh, I'm gritty. I'm getting grittier every year.
Speaker 1: Kenny Rice of NBC Sports, Thank you, brother, We'll watch for you on the Preakness. Hope to see you soon.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's always a pleasure. Yeah, we'll definitely catch you up again. So thanks Dick.
Speaker 1: Then he goes back to believe it or not, the days that Channel thirty six w TVQ, where his former co worker Jeff of Coorro is now sports director. Some of you, some of you may remember this, that Channel thirty six here in lectioningon and they don't really want people to use the numbers anymore. They want to call letters because that's what shows up in the ratings books. Anyway, Channel thirty six used to be channel sixty two. When I first got the lectionon back in the early seventies, it was channel sixty two, and in June of nineteen eighty they switched from sixty two. You know, you get a better reception. The other channels are closer in numbers, so if people are spinning the dial, it's easier to find. They moved from channel sixty two to channel thirty six, and I think it probably helped them at that point, but they've still been playing for a lot of years catch up to the other TV stations, but they've had some good people and still do in that place, and Kenny Rice was one of them. Speaking of the other stations. Up next from WLAX Channel eighteen, Keith Farmer, you know on The Big Moon Sider six thirty Alap welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider joining us now is a longtime friend of the show, friend of mine, and he is Keith Farmer, sports anchor at wli X Channel eighteen, and you see him each night, not just on the news but on BBN tonight and came in. I want to talk to you about the Derby and about Kentucky basketball, but I need to talk to you about a story that you and Alex Barbera worked on. I guess it was yesterday with the Jack gibbons An election and Traditional Magnet School. And of course Jack has written a book finally, and I've talked to Jack about the boys at once, but everybody I know who's read it really he's loved it. And now these kids get a shot at it. Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: This couple.
Speaker 5: The lady Peggy Henderson was a principal in the school system and she read it and she went to a book signing. She was so touched by what she read in there and said that every kid in Lexington should read this book.
Speaker 1: And so what they did.
Speaker 5: They went out and they talked to Goose and said, we'd love to buy this for a school, and they kind of got together and they decided to go to his old school, which is Electings and traditional Magnet School used to be I think Electionington Junior High or something like that, and so they purchased books for every sixth seventh eighth grader. I think the eighth graders got them first, and they already were doing a book report on it and they even wrote him letters about what they learned from it, which is really neat. But this couple, the Henderson's, just bought the books for the whole school. So yesterday just got to go back to his old school, talk to the students, motivate them, and then they all got the books. And I just think it's such a great story. In the Henderson's are obviously hoping that somebody else will pick up from that and maybe do the same for another school.
Speaker 1: You and I have done both of a zillion UK sports related sidebars through our respective careers, such as they are, and this is one of the greatest stories. I remember. He just, you know, a former player. I think you know, they kind of had to twist Jack's arm just a little bit to get to do the book. He was like, I'm not sure, you know, he'd been a part of other ones, but this was all about him and the response to it, and I mean nationwide. He was signing books at an alumni event in San Diego, but now right, four hundred books for kids.
Speaker 5: It's just fantastic, I mean, just incredible to see where he came from. He tells the story of you know, how it used to be in lect and then there was a chain link fence that went down one street and only whites were on one side, only blacks were on the other, and you didn't cross, and you know, especially at certain times. And it was just the way he grew up. You know, it wasn't a chance for him to go to the University of Kentucky for the longest time until somebody broke the color barrier and gave him that chance. And so it could have been such a different story, right if things hadn't progressed nation And so it's just it's wonderful for these kids to hear his story and what he had to overcome and the motivation he had to have, you know, to make his career that he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when you when you look at Jack and you hear him on the radio, you see him on television, and it's weird and there's a better word for it, but that when he was a kid, and he references that, he says this to the kids. When he was a child, the SEC was segregated. UK was not UK desegregated in nineteen forty eight, but there was a quote unquote gentleman's agreement to not write black players in the Southeastern Conference. So a kid like Jack Gibbons, what did his dreams involved? Well, maybe I can go out of state or to Kentucky State or whatever. That that's really sobering. So but it's also uplifting to know where things.
Speaker 5: Are now right right, And I think that's part of it. With him having this talk with the kids yesterday, some of them probably can't comprehend, you know, sixth seventh eighth graders can't comprehend some of the stuff that used to happen, you know, unless they've heard it from relatives and such. But but yeah, you know, for for them to hear it from a guy and yeah, and to be quite honest, they never saw him play, you know. So even one of them was like, I'm a little confused, did you play or you're a broadcaster? And he said, I'm all the above. He's like, you know, so they really you know, that's the great thing about it. You know, if they read this book, they're going to learn that he was a UK player, and then that's gonna you know, they know that, right, They know that part of it, so it's going to make them really interested in reading the rest of it.
Speaker 1: What this should be required for every UK basketball player.
Speaker 6: That's not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: But what was interesting too is these kids who transferred in through the portal last year sound like Kelly Perry. These kids, but I think you probably picked up and talking to him. They knew, they knew who Jack Gibbons was, And if they didn't know when they got here, they found out very quickly because they all showed him enormous respect, which I really I really like. But these guys are all students of the game anyway, you'd think they're going to know it and Jack has been. Jack's been where they want to be, you know, He's been, you know, an n and an NBA player. So I did you know you would expect that, I guess.
Speaker 5: But I do even remember, like when we were in Toronto and Jack would sit down and talk with those guys one on one. He wouldn't say, you know, he wouldn't even say I played at Kentucky. He was just a broadcaster Jack, and I had to be like, yeah, he played a little bit too, you know. And I was telling some of these guys and I remember doing him and Cameron Fletcher and some of those guys, Oh really okay, And then I can't remember who it was. I think, oh gosh, who was it. Somebody saw I said, yeah, He's like, yeah, I want to ring here, and they showed and goes, oh, I want one of those, you know. And so yeah, but that's Jack. He's humble Jack, and he's not going to bring that up to those guys. He's gonna let it figure it out there.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. You know, you might if you talk to him long enough, you'll pick up on the fact that, yeah, he played somewhere, and you know, but you won't even realize that he did. Okay, so anyhow, Yeah, but if you want to see this story, it's at uh it's on the website at the lax eighteen dot com. Okay, man, as I mentioned, you covered the Kentucky Derby. I guess you're probably dried out by now. As much as I miscovering the Derby over the last few years, I didn't miss it this year because of the weather and I've done my shas you know, my share much through the mud. But uh huh it it didn't literally dampen anybody's in two They had one hundred and forty seven thousand people there, so they just did it feel like it had a derby.
Speaker 4: It was amazing.
Speaker 6: It was just because right before the race last.
Speaker 5: Year, I didn't actually stand on the track like we do to watch it because I wanted to make sure I was over at my broadcast area, which is on the back of the first turn. And so this year I was like, I got to go watch this one. So I got out there in the mud and I looked around and you just see everybody come from those two big yachts that are on the sides of the Twin Spires to the edge of the you know, railing, and it was just I've got some incredible shots of them ready for the race, and I mean they're on They're everywhere you can be. They're on staircases looking out, and it's just amazing to see h and to hear it's always fun to hear them as they make the first pass and then obviously as they come for home and everybody yelling out their number or their name that they're wanting to win.
Speaker 6: And it did not dampen it.
Speaker 5: The rain did not, and it was a great race.
Speaker 1: There were no incidents or you know, none to speak of. Nobody was just qualified. Nobody got really badly jumped or flipped or whatever. Right, and now we've got another thrilling come from behind in the last furlong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it kind of look like journalism. I mean maybe maybe for the Belmont, maybe journalism wins that one with the extra length. But you know, Sovereignty was the one that I had my eye on. Anyway, I don't always I don't always take it, but this year I did. And I just like the way he was running. If he didn't finish first in his prep races, he was usually coming on pretty strong. So I felt like that extra link at the derby was going to give him, you know, some help, and it obviously did. And you know, it comes down to, as always, the good trip which he got. And I saw that there was someone else, maybe Burnham Square or somebody that got just pinched.
Speaker 6: Off on the rail towards the last turn.
Speaker 5: So you know, it's one of those things where he got a favorable trip and he did what I thought he could do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to have the trip, you know, or at least you got to have something that not happened to you, especially correct first turn. So well, congrats on the coverage to you and your entire team. How many people from your station? I saw the group photo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that here's the thing. They decided, let's go take that good photo now, and it was pouring the rain at the time, so there was probably about eighteen of us that didn't go out and do the picture. So if you add that on to what you see in the picture, that's your number. So I would say we had probably close to fifty fifty people there probably, Yeah and.
Speaker 1: All yeah, yeah, worked out well. Keith Farmer, my guest sports anchor w l E x BBN tonight, we'll talk Kentucky basketball new faces on the roster when we come back here on six thirty. Welcome back my guest, Keith Farmer of WLA X eighteen and BBN tonight and came in. As I said before the break, mark Pope's roster. Now since you and I last saw each other with two new players, so apparently he's done. Now he's got to be done. He's at a roster spots. Let's talk first of all about the newest Rheese Potter. You spoke to him, what was it last night, I guess or Sunday, one of the one of the two. Do you remember much about him when he was at Lacian Catholic?
Speaker 4: I do, I do?
Speaker 5: I mean he was, you know, I don't think I would call him physically imposing as far.
Speaker 6: As like he's strong, but he's not overly like just.
Speaker 5: You know, he's not a shock. But he's got good strength in his legs. Like Patino used to always talk about that, right, like he wanted guys to have, like like Mashburn wanted him to have strong legs. And I feel like that's what Reese had he may not have had. Maybe that's what it is. He didn't have the upper body strength yet, which he probably does now after being in a program for two years, but he had that lower body strength. He had the ability to block shots. Even in high school, he had the ability to go out and hit three pointers, and so I think that's something that makes it real dangerous at seven to two. And he's also a pretty good passer, So I think that's maybe something that fit into what Pope likes, running that offense through his bigs, and so I think it'll be interesting. We were pulling some video to put up for him yesterday and we came across one of my guys. I said, here, try these, you know, and they were pulling some video and he said, yeah, I found that one you had with great crossing and baby Malachi. Because obviously Reese is two years older, so they've gone against each other before and now here they are going to be teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had him on earlier and he talked about Malicky. He admitted that, yeah, he's got the ring, he said, but we've we've played a couple of times, and he basically indicated he did fairly well against Malachai because can you imagine what the what the just to pick up games alone are going to be.
Speaker 5: Like, oh my goodness. I mean, you know, then he's throwing Brandon Garrison right man, who's going to be the guy to teach them the offense? And yeah, that's you know, and how tall I can't remember how tall yellowch is, but you know this is height on this team. It's going to be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not just bigs athletic bigs, right right.
Speaker 5: Right exactly. I mean when you're talking about, you know, a Reese that can and obviously we saw Brandon, you know, do both go down low that you know, go out and shoot a three, and we believe he can do that. And we'll see if Malachi can hit the three. He was trying to broaden his game a little bit this year. I'm not so sure he had the chance to do that while he was, you know, also trying to win a state championship. So I'm looking forward to seeing how they all gel together and how Brandon becomes that Amari leader on this next team. And certainly I think another thing is that we've seen the team that Pope has put together is maybe not so much like last year's because you know, last year he talked about nothing but shooting threes. I think he realized the SEC is physical, and I've got to go find some physical players that also fit what I want to do. So I don't know that that changes up his scheme or makes it any less. Let's not take threes, but I also think he needed people that were going to be a little tougher down low.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned Yellowvich coming in from the European style. That's big guy shooting threes. He, by the way, is listed at six', eleven so whatever he, is he's, yes BUT i think we're going to see that at least that young. Man and then talking To, reese he said he can hit the occasional. Three he, said he's not going to be looking to step. Out and then working To sweet sixteen this year while you were at NCAA's i'm talking To Great crossings. People they, Said malachai can shoots the, three shoot the, three likes to shoot the, three but we don't need him. Shooting is?
Speaker 6: There we exactly?
Speaker 5: Exactly you, Know so none of.
Speaker 1: That's going to surprise, me you, know, yeah, yeah oh.
Speaker 5: Exactly and you, Know, REESE i think it's an interesting thing with him having spent two years he was, LIKE i, think forty five percent shooting in it from three point range in his first. Season, yes only he only.
Speaker 6: Took thirty, three but he was forty five percent and kind of trailed off.
Speaker 5: A little bit in his second. Season BUT i like the fact that those guys have the confidence to step out there and take it because they obviously have tons of time to work on the shot and to have the confidence to take it and hit. It, so you, know it's just so fun to Watch hope put together a team with all the analytics and things that he wants to do in his, system and it's just gonna be fun to see how this one compares to.
Speaker 1: Last, yeah it really. Is and like you, said it's going to be a bit of a different looking, team but he's got the point guard he. Wanted apparently it's going to be a big. Deal though came. IN i, believe oh take a away's, decision and you, KNOW i quit trying to predict such. Things maybe a. Team what all it takes, is you, know is one team to fall in love for or at least fall inlike with. Him but fortunately A G league contract is not the bait that it.
Speaker 5: Used to, be you, know not at. ALL i, mean there are so many people that are staying in college. NOW i can't remember the, number BUT i saw somebody put up something about the number of players that opted to go pro this year was so much lower than it has been in recent, years and it's because you can make more money in the college game right now than you can betting on yourself to make AN nba contract or get tossed down to THE G. League, so you, KNOW i think a lot of people are, like IF i don't know for sure now That i'm, going Then i'm just going to go back to college and make some money and improve my game and it'll be there next year for.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah, yeah. Definitely if you minutus up With Keith farmer OF lax eighteen AND bbn, tonight you guys cover the Baseball. Wildcats they have what has become a crucial series. Now looked like they were all set if they just kept going the way they were, going but they took a major step backwards last weekend and, now, Yeah oklahoma comes to town for the first, time and this is a must have, series isn't.
Speaker 5: It. YEAH i, mean let's, see you've got what ten wins now in THE sec and every time we have we've in the last couple of weeks Had Darren, Hedrick Darren williams on both of them continue to say thirteen wins is like that magic number that you need to get, to maybe even fourteen if that's the. Case kentucky's got three Against, oklahoma three At. Vanderbilt you're going to have to get three to four of those six in order to feel good about yourselves making, it or make a really long run in THE sec tournament one or the, other to really have that feeling that you're going to make AN ncaa.
Speaker 1: Tournament, yeah AND i guess it was inevitable that fans, would of course look for more of the same from this year's team compared to last year's. Team i'm sure to remind myself That, kentucky if nothing, else had a left fielder who was putting together a first round draft pick kind of season that went a long, way you. Know and plus, yeah And nick's you, know not Making i've never heard him even talk about, this but, man the injuries on this team to the worst people at the worst time have really been, something haven't To, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah they've had him for, Sure and of, FACT i was sitting down With Mitch barnhardt a couple of weeks ago and it really hadn't hit me till he even said he's, like, man injury bug just hit us all across the board this, Year and he's. RIGHT i, mean think about even women's basketball had two players they expected to play this year they didn't even. Play you, know at, football everything you can go down the, line and almost every sport had some, key like even softball With, bump she was expected to be a big she was a big get out of the. Portal she ends up injured and now, look you know they're they're struggling a little, bit and she's such a good, player and so it's like those missing pieces you know that people may not know about, it especially with baseball unless you you've definitely followed. It it just has been tough For nick Mind jones to make it. Happen so, yeah tough year all.
Speaker 1: Around, well speaking Of barnardy and his fellow, ads we're going to have that house settlement by the next time you AND i. Speak we hope that thing will be, settled so we'll have something else you chat. About but we're at a time came In thanks so Much Keith farmer from w l E x and again go to the website to see the story About Jack gibbons's book and the kids at the Lex Inner Traditional Magnet school and Follow kman At Keith farmer eighteen On. Twitter thank you, brother see you.
Speaker 5: Soon appreciate. You take care that's going to do.
Speaker 1: It thanks so much of my Guests Keith, Farmer Kenny rice and of course the newest wildcat reeese potter that said good night from the garage In, Lexington.
Speaker 7: Charlie here colors the deuce and when you speak of, me speak well. TOTALLY i was going to throw into this right, yep and netball get out of here in a. Hurry anything travels that far to have a damn stewardess on.
Speaker 4: It do an you think.
Speaker 2: Stats donning, anything then don't back out to pass the tenson it don't don't tos