Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a common email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, Follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com Slash Radio Detectives. Today's program is brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners, and I want to thank our latest one time contributor, Jam. Thank you to force the pouring us through support dot great detectives dot net. You can also mail in one time contributions to Adam Graham peelbox one five nine one three Boise, Idaho eight three seven one five. That's peelbox one five nine thirteen, Boise, Idaho eight three seven one five. Can also become one of our ongoing Patreon supporters at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. Also over at great Detectives dot net. This weekend my review of the new Saint tvmovie and you can get all of my reviews automatically delivered to you, and you can try that service out free for two weeks. Search the kindlestore for Great Detectives of old time radio. Now it's time for today's episode of Dragnet. The original air edate October the twenty sixth of nineteen fifty two, and this one is the big number.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. The story you were about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned a robbery detail. You've got a call that a bank has been robbed from the mo You'll know the job was done by a professional.
Speaker 3: He's made good his escape. Your job get him.
Speaker 4: Dragnet the documented drama of an actual crime. While the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribed from official police violence, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment, Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 5: It was Monday, January twenty first. It was cold in Los Angeles.
Speaker 6: We were working the.
Speaker 7: Day watch out of robbery detail. My partner's Frank Smith. The boss is Captain Didion.
Speaker 6: My name is Friday. Was two fifty six.
Speaker 5: Pm when I got the room. Twenty seven eight robbery.
Speaker 8: Joe yeah, sure cold.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, papersition you'd warm up a little for the end of the week. Oh, I hope, So i'llut your weekend go.
Speaker 6: Don't bring it up. What happened at my house is only one thing that could happen.
Speaker 7: What do you mean my brother in law arm and all the time, it just sits around the house, sits there and reads those detective magazines.
Speaker 6: Doesn't he work. He's ever held a job, He's kept it a secret, just moves around between the relatives.
Speaker 7: This year it's phase turned and he just sits around all day. Yeah, reads those detective magazines. Always send him for those books that are sent in the plane wrappers, you know, the ones to tell you how you can have a business.
Speaker 6: In your own home. Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, this time he really did it.
Speaker 7: He sent for one that tells you how to go into the house cleaning business. I thought at first it might be a pretty good deal. You know, if it worked out, he could give a fair hand with the house else. Saturday morning, the book gets to the house with all the formulas and instructions for making the cleaners, for the rugs and the postings.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: First off, he bars five bucks from me to buy the stuff to mix the formulas.
Speaker 6: Then he goes to the kitchen and takes all the fays good pants to mix up the goop in.
Speaker 7: It smells terrible, all the bleaches and soaps. And I'm sitting in the front room watching television. All and all, I'm pretty comfortable, you know. He comes in, he says the room is filthy. End he's going to clean it.
Speaker 6: Tells me to get out of the room, and he's going to surprise all of us. Yeah, well he did.
Speaker 7: Fay and I took the kid down at the barbers to have her haircut, the little shopping for the weekend.
Speaker 6: He should have seen the house when he got back. Joe just miserable. What wouldn't he be done?
Speaker 7: First off, he wasn't there left a note on the kitchen table telling us that he was out for a walk. I kind of figured when it happened. So Fay and me walked into the living room. Joe, you wouldn't believe it is so they almost think pretty awful.
Speaker 6: Worse than that room was beautiful.
Speaker 7: Everything ended was clean as a whistle, all spotless, Kurt carpit, the upholstery, even the tables have been waxed, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 6: Sounds to me like a pretty good deal, Faye, or what about her?
Speaker 7: Right away she starts climbing all over me, reads me off for being so mean to him, says all about how I should be ashamed of myself, said that I should have thought of the house cleaning gimmick myself. I should have given him a hand and cleaning up the place, and that the next day off we have to do the whole house. I tell you, Joe, no matter what the guy does, it always ends up making me look bad.
Speaker 5: Well, you say, you've only got this year with him, huh Yeah.
Speaker 7: Then he goes to Fay's sister in Pedemont. Oh, sure be glad when that time comes.
Speaker 6: Hot shot, I'll get it.
Speaker 7: Adt to eleven bank robbery in progress. It took us a little over four minutes to get to the bank at the corner of Lebanon and Broadway. In that time, in the bandit had completed the robbery and made good his escape.
Speaker 6: A radio car had arrived at the scene, and.
Speaker 7: The officers had gotten a description of the car and of the bandit. They called the information in the communications and the broadcast has gotten out to all cars in the vicinity to be on the alert for the hold up man. Two forty pm. Frank and I arrived at the bank.
Speaker 6: Back there, bank guard. Yeah, I couldn't tell her. What do you want me to do?
Speaker 3: Try to stop and haven't shoot that gun off.
Speaker 6: He'd killed half the people in here.
Speaker 9: I'm not saying that you should have actually tried to stop him. All I'm saying is that there is something that you should have done. You just stood there and looked at it. You could see the gun. There must have been something you could do.
Speaker 6: I beg your Friday, sir.
Speaker 8: You get away.
Speaker 9: You're probably in cahoots for the robber. You probably came back to get the rest of the money. Well, Gibson though, just down there to stop these man.
Speaker 6: We're police officers, sir.
Speaker 9: You see Gibson there. Police officers go a badge of something. After this, I don't think I'll trust anyone again.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, he's their ID edification.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it's Officer Friday.
Speaker 6: He's my partner, Frank Smith.
Speaker 7: How do you do I suppose you want to ask me a lot of questions. Well, there are some things we'd like to know, so you'd like to talk in my office. I guess it'll be more quiet there.
Speaker 9: Fine, would be all right if Gibson came along. I'd like to have him see how a couple of real detectives work.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I think it'll be all right.
Speaker 9: Fine, Back this way, our officer, Friday. This is Gibson, the bank guard.
Speaker 8: Now I use the term loosely.
Speaker 7: There's mister Jones.
Speaker 6: At Smith, Sir Frank Smith.
Speaker 9: Oh, yes, Smith, go ahead, just it down any place?
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 7: How you listening?
Speaker 6: Good Gibson?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, mister Allan, you were the victimy.
Speaker 7: I certainly was.
Speaker 6: It was just three o'clock.
Speaker 9: Gibson was just putting up the chain across the door, you know, to keep people out. Yes, sir, Gibson was out there.
Speaker 7: I was in here in my office.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Gibson.
Speaker 7: Tell the officers about it.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir.
Speaker 10: Well, he parked his car right in front of the bank, and when he pulled up, I thought it was a customer trying to get in before the bank closed. I held the chain for him.
Speaker 6: That was nice of you. What happened then, mister Gibson.
Speaker 10: As soon as he got the doorway, I saw the shot gun he had it kind of under his coach, you know. I tried to stop him, but he had the gun pointed right at me. He said that if I made a move, he'd as soon shoot me as look.
Speaker 7: At mem Sure it was a shotgunny, Yes, sir, I could tell it was a twelve gage.
Speaker 6: It was sawed off.
Speaker 10: Told me to get over in that little alcohol the entrance to our escro department. I did, and he told me a hand over my gun. I started to get it out of the holster, and I thought that maybe I'd have a chance to surprise him. But he must have known when I was planning.
Speaker 6: Why do you say that?
Speaker 10: He told me to face into the corner. Then he took the gun out of the holster. M hm, Well, I did what he told me.
Speaker 6: What happened.
Speaker 10: Then he asked me where the manager was. I found it out his office.
Speaker 7: Well to this time, did any of the people in the bank have any idea what was going on?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 10: Certain way he acted. He knew what he was doing right off. I knew there wasn't anything I could do, and kept thinking about the people in the bank.
Speaker 3: That shotgun.
Speaker 6: Didn't want anyone to get hurt.
Speaker 7: It's only bribe thing you did.
Speaker 6: Do you want to go on? What happened then?
Speaker 10: Well, like I said, he asked where the manager's office was. I showed him and he told me he wanted me to go back there with him.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: We walked back there.
Speaker 10: He put the shotgun under his coat and buy some miracle, nobody saw it.
Speaker 9: That's where he brought me into the picture. He just walked in, told me it was a stick up. He had this little leather bag, the kind of doctor uses. He opened it up, told me to walk in front of him.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 9: He made me carry the bag ket the gun at my back all the time, I could feel it, And he walked down the row of windows, the ones into the teller's boxes. Each one he made me stop and asked the tellers for the money.
Speaker 6: Did he touch anything at all? Do you remember? No?
Speaker 9: No, he wore gloves all the time. He was real careful, wouldn't touch anything. After I put the money into the bag, you'd tell each one of them that if they made a sound, he'd kill me and then come back and kill them too. It was terrible, almost scared me to death.
Speaker 6: For who was it?
Speaker 10: They turned in the alarming Water, the clean up man swer he was in the back of the bank, and he came out of the Vice president's office.
Speaker 6: He saw the robber, and then he sneaked back into the room and called you.
Speaker 10: The bandit just barely got out of the place when the police car pulled up.
Speaker 7: We gave the other officers the description of the car and the bandit.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, we heard the broadcast. All the cars in the area had been alerted.
Speaker 7: I wonder if I could have a drink of water, Officer.
Speaker 9: I'm so nervous. I'm still not over it. My stomach's going to be grinding.
Speaker 6: For a month.
Speaker 5: You're a member of the Federal Reserve here, Oh, yes, well.
Speaker 7: Then the Federal Bureau of Investigation will being out of two.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, Water's right over here.
Speaker 7: I keep in the office for my pills. I have ulcers, you know. Would you like a drink?
Speaker 6: No, sir, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 7: Well what happened after the man finished taking the money from the cage.
Speaker 10: He walked out at the front of the place and got in his car. By that time I could hear the sirens of the police car coming. He just left on the way out. He said, if we told him anything about him, and he'd come back and kill us.
Speaker 7: Yes, he looked right at me when he said it. You've got to give me some sort of protection. I'm not going to make a sitting duck of myself.
Speaker 6: We'll take care of that.
Speaker 7: Could you give us a description of the man, sir, I've already given it to the two officers who were here.
Speaker 5: Well, we know, sir, but if you wouldn't mind, of course not.
Speaker 6: How tall would you.
Speaker 9: Say he was, oh about five or eleven, maybe six feet?
Speaker 6: How old would you say he was? Thirty thirty five?
Speaker 7: Round in there?
Speaker 6: How much do you think he weighed?
Speaker 7: About one hundred and sixty? Maybe I'm not very good at guessing.
Speaker 6: Might How about his coloring?
Speaker 5: It was a darker light, light light.
Speaker 9: He had real light blonde hair. His eyebrows were almost invisible. They were so light that you almost couldn't see them at all, same.
Speaker 7: With his eyelashes.
Speaker 6: How about his clothes, beg your pardon his clothes? What was he wearing?
Speaker 7: Well, he had on a blue shirt.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry, shirt.
Speaker 6: I think it was a white shirt.
Speaker 9: Well, no, I'm sure it was blue. I remember because he was wearing a brown coat. I thought that he certainly didn't have very good taste. What was wearing a blue shirt and a brown coat?
Speaker 6: No, gipson.
Speaker 7: All the shirt was blue.
Speaker 9: No tie, brown coat and black loafers shoes. I remember these because they were the only thing about him that looked good. It looked like those ones that are advertising the magazines, you know, skegans or something like that.
Speaker 6: Black. Was there anything unusual about him? I big pardon any unusual.
Speaker 7: About him, anything he might cause you to remember him, know him if you saw him again. Well, there were the bandages.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 9: When he came in he had bandages on his face, one over his right eyebrow, another on his chin right.
Speaker 7: Here, sort of on the throat.
Speaker 6: You mean regular bandage, no show.
Speaker 10: They were those adhesive kind you know, with a gauze on table all together.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, And you say he had one over the right eyebrown and one on his chin.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I.
Speaker 6: Still think it's a white shirt.
Speaker 7: I said it was blue. Are you trying to say that I don't know blue when I see.
Speaker 10: No, sir, I just think that you might have made a mistake in all the excitement.
Speaker 7: Officer, Yes, it was a blue shirt.
Speaker 6: How about his car, the one he got away in.
Speaker 7: It was parked right out in front.
Speaker 6: Did you see it? Certainly?
Speaker 7: I saw it. I was standing right in the door when he drove away.
Speaker 6: What can he described the car for it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's like I told the other officers. It was a late model Buick, dark blue cope.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry, sir, but it was a green Ford.
Speaker 5: Now let's see if we can't let straw and tell his story.
Speaker 6: Mister Gibson will check it when you.
Speaker 9: Can, or I don't know what you're trying to prove with these officers. After the way you handle the affair, there's no use trying to impress them with your promise.
Speaker 6: As a detective.
Speaker 7: It was a dark blue Buick coupe. Anything unusual about the car that you could see? And he dented defenders, stickers, windshield emblems, anything like that.
Speaker 6: Would you remember?
Speaker 7: No, I didn't notice anything special, No, sir, looked.
Speaker 6: Pretty new as far as I could tell. I. Fine.
Speaker 7: Well, you two gentlemen of helpless a lot here. There are some questions we'd like to ask the other people in the bank.
Speaker 9: Oh, yes, that's what the other officer said. I told them all to stay. You like to talk to them now, yes, sir, fine, I'll send them in.
Speaker 7: Here to you.
Speaker 6: No, we can talk to them out there, sir br Oh.
Speaker 7: Fine, Gibson, maybe you can help them.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, off, sir yeah, Gibson.
Speaker 10: I didn't want to tell you why we were in there. He'd probably make some remark. I didn't even tell.
Speaker 6: The other officers.
Speaker 10: It's about the license number of the bandit's car.
Speaker 6: Did you get it?
Speaker 10: Well, not all of it, sir, just the first three numbers.
Speaker 7: The bank guard went on to explain that in the confusion, he had failed to give the information about the license number to the other officers. We continued to talk to him. He told us that the bandit.
Speaker 6: Had tied a cloth over the rear license plate, and.
Speaker 7: That as he drove away from the scene, a corner of the cloth had come loose and he was able to see the first three numbers of the plate. We call this information in the communications, and the supplemental broadcast was gotten out. In company with agents from the FBI. We talked to the rest of the employees and the bank From them, we got a fairly good description of the hold up man and of his car. They agreed that it was a late model dark Ford Sedan with FBI agent Tom Ashurd. Frank and I checked by the office and asked the Stat's office to make a run on the mo. We checked the outity file on R and I on the possibilities that the tape might have been used to cover scars or other marks that would make identification easier. Ninety six pm we stopped and got some sandwiches and coffee, and.
Speaker 6: Then we went to the DMV offices. Hi, Joe, George, you know Frank? Yeah, h how's it going, George? Tom Ashford agent and the FBI's working with us on this thing.
Speaker 10: Oh right, Glad Knight, Yeah, same Here.
Speaker 6: Where do we find the files here? George? Oh, that's the number, guest one U five. That's all we have, not much.
Speaker 8: Oh, you'll find a file for that number in these George. Here. Uh, you know what kind of card is?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Ford Sedan, late model. We're not sure what year up? Go to it? I don't remember you Yeah, and ninety nine possible.
Speaker 11: Well that's it for the night. I think I'll shove off anything. You guys need to be somebody here. You can give me a call. Leave the home number on the desk, right, thanks. Lock ad Night, Jordecknight, Help you find before I get back so away.
Speaker 5: Well, let's get to us right, Let's see.
Speaker 6: One U five.
Speaker 7: It took us the next eight hours to go through the almost ten thousand licensed registrations. Each file card had to be checked for a similarity of make and model. Each automobile in the Los Angeles area was listed, and then each one in the entire state.
Speaker 6: Each of them had to be checked out.
Speaker 7: Six oh two am, Tuesday, January twenty second, we finished checking.
Speaker 6: The file that does it?
Speaker 10: I did know there was so many cars in California, let alone that many with a license that begins with one U five in the Los Angeles area.
Speaker 6: What's a total, Joe? How's it look?
Speaker 7: Well, we got a place to start here, three hundred and two names. Six thirty am we checked back into the office and then we went home to get a couple of hours sleeps. At eight thirty am, Frank, Tom and I met on the robbery office. Captain Diddyon had assigned four other teams of men to work with us. The FBI had also assigned additional agents. The list of possibles was divided up and we began to check them out. We spent three days on it. In each instance, we didn't talk to the person involved directly, but to their neighbors. We didn't explain what it was that we were after, merely that we were conducting an investigation. We ran into the usual false leaves, the usual petty jealousies in the neighborhood.
Speaker 6: It all served to slow.
Speaker 7: Us down and make the job more difficult. There'd been no replies to the local or the APV that we'd gotten out of the car or the bandit. The staff's office had come up with two possibles on them. These were both checked out, but let us know where. We went back to checking out the license plate numbers. January twenty eighth, the names on our list were down to seven. The next one was a mister Ivan Q.
Speaker 6: Field.
Speaker 7: We rang the bell to the house next door and waited, yeah, sorry to buy you man, police officers.
Speaker 6: When if we could talk to you police?
Speaker 12: Well, what's it about? I haven't done.
Speaker 7: Anything, no, man, We'd just like to ask you a couple of questions about your next door neighbor.
Speaker 12: Mister Field, I should have known. I thought a couple of times about calling you about him myself, A miserable man.
Speaker 10: I wonder if we could come in, ma'am, I'd be better than talking.
Speaker 6: Out before you.
Speaker 12: Just bet you can come right in. I'll tell you what you want to know, Thank you very much. What are you wanting for? What's you done?
Speaker 7: Or we're just conducting investigation, ma'am. A few things we'd like to know about mister Field.
Speaker 12: Uh huh, Well, you don't have to play cozy with me. I know what kind of people they are. Can't understand it either, ma'am, I said, I couldn't understand it. His brother's so nice, real gentleman. Seems hard to believe that they even be related, let alone be brothers. Nothing but trouble since he and his wife moved in.
Speaker 6: You mean it's not their house, of course not.
Speaker 12: Don't think he'd one of them could afford the rent on the one room apartment, let alone a house.
Speaker 6: Would you know if they have a car?
Speaker 12: No, No, not them. Like I said, I don't think he's ever worked, just lives off his brother. His brother has a car's real nice.
Speaker 6: What kind of a car is, ma'am? Do you know?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 6: It's a Ford. You know what marble matter? Yes, ma'am, the Coopers.
Speaker 12: It's the damn real nice, sort of a dark green, only I guess it really isn't dark then it isn't like really just green pretty though.
Speaker 6: Yes, ma'am. Do you know if mister Field's in right now?
Speaker 12: Yes? I think so. I saw him out in the backyard a couple of hours ago, him and his wife. She was prancing around. One of them, skimpy little sun suit's terrible, no decency at all, I tell you, Officer, Neither one of them any good.
Speaker 6: Do you know what mister Field does for a living? Oh?
Speaker 12: You mean does he work? Yes, ma'am, Oh no, at least I've never seen any indication that he does. All he does is just sit around the yard and throw rocks up my cats.
Speaker 7: It's terrible.
Speaker 12: That's what I was gonna call you about. Isn't there a lar or something about throwing things at poor dumb animals?
Speaker 6: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 12: Of course cats aren't really dumb. Lots of times I think they're a lot smarter than some people I know.
Speaker 10: Now, I wonder if you could describe ivan feel forest, ma'am.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 12: Sure, he's kind of a little man, not very big.
Speaker 6: About how tall man?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 12: Maybe five feet seven?
Speaker 6: How about his coloring.
Speaker 12: I mean it's hair, yes, ma'am, dark, very dark.
Speaker 6: Let's that's out. Well, thank you very much, ma'am. Sorright it cause you all this trouble.
Speaker 12: Oh, no, trouble at tall? Are you going to arrest him now?
Speaker 6: No, ma'am, well why not?
Speaker 12: What about the rocks and my cat?
Speaker 6: Well? I think the SPCA are the people you want to talk to on man.
Speaker 12: Well, all right, but I tell you right now, mister Field isn't going to like it. He likes my cat. He isn't gonna like the idea at all when he hears about it. Just wait until he gets home. I'll tell him about his brother he's been acting.
Speaker 6: Or just a minute, ma'am.
Speaker 5: Yes, you mean that the man living next door isn't Ivan Field.
Speaker 12: No, I didn't say it was.
Speaker 8: It's his brother, Harry brother.
Speaker 12: What's the matter with you, young man? Don't you hear well everything I say? Yes me to repeat?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't mean to him, Ma'am'm just that I want to be sure of what you say.
Speaker 12: What's going on here?
Speaker 6: First?
Speaker 12: Ask me a lot of questions about mister Field, and then I tell you that he isn't home and his wife went back East for the holidays. They haven't come back yet. While he was gone, he.
Speaker 6: Said that his brother could.
Speaker 12: Use the house. I thought at first it would be nice. Then I found out Harry is nothing like his brother, nothing at all.
Speaker 6: I wonder if you could describe him for it?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 12: You want to know about everybody, don't you.
Speaker 5: Well, we just like a description of Harry Field man.
Speaker 6: That's all.
Speaker 12: Well, he's taller than Ivan. Harry must be close to six feet. It doesn't look anything like Ivan and any other way. Ivan's dark and Harry's life. His hair almost doesn't have any fellow's real blonde.
Speaker 6: How long ago do they move in?
Speaker 12: Well, now, let me see Elizabeth, that's my Persian captain. Well, Elizabeth had her last letter in December, the December the twelfth, Harry and his wife moved in the next morning. I remember that because I was up most of the night with Elizabeth. She didn't need me awfully independent. But it was the morning that they moved in, or I remember it well. Elizabeth had six little kittens. It was December thir when Harry moved in.
Speaker 5: And they've been using Ivanfield's cars.
Speaker 12: Oh my, yes, hardly a day goes by. But what they don't drive it somewhere.
Speaker 6: I want if you could use your phone?
Speaker 12: Man, Oh sure, it's on the table there in the hall.
Speaker 6: Thanks, I'll check the names.
Speaker 7: Who are would you happen to know if this Harry Field has any marks the scars on him?
Speaker 6: Well, now let me see.
Speaker 12: I think so. Seems to me that I saw him and his wife out in the backyard one day. He was wearing swimming trunks and she was in one of those sun suits I told you about its graceful.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 12: Well, it seems to me that he had a scar on his leg, yes, just above the knee. I think it was the right leg.
Speaker 7: No. What I meant, man, was does he have any marks in his face, in his forid or on his chin?
Speaker 12: No? No, no mark. Oh wait a minute. The other day I noticed he had a cut over his right eyebrow. It looked like he'd been in a fight, probably a drunken brawl.
Speaker 7: Yeah, anyway, talk to cunning hamm He checked the name. Looks like it might be the same one. What's that they paroled to Harry cue Field from San Quentin? Description checks out Monday, Parol, December tenth. Last year did a term for robbery.
Speaker 4: You are listening to Dragnet, the authentic story of your police force in action.
Speaker 7: January twenty eighth, four point thirty pm. We called the office and told them of the latest developments. Tom Ashford called the local FBI office and arrangements were made to take Harry Field and his wife in the custody. A further check on him was made through R and I and we found that his record listed four arrests for armed robbery with only one conviction. He spent four and a half years in San Quentin before he'd gotten his parole. The name of his brother was also check. He had no previous record. The car and Fields driveway match to one used by the bandit. Five twelve pm the men from Robbery arrived and the plan for taking Field was formulated. The working detective knows that the successfully apprehend and armed and dangerous suspect, he must act quickly and employ the one big advantage on his side, the element of surprise. By moving rapidly before the suspect becomes aware of any attempt to apprehend him, the officer, in many cases cannot only avoid bloodshed, but can often have a better chance of preserving any and all physical evidence necessary to prosecute the suspect. Five thirty six pm. We were ready to move in.
Speaker 6: I'll set gentlemen are on back. Good, no indication he knows what sulf. The lights are still are.
Speaker 7: Let's hope it stays that way of that's sobriety A Jenkins woman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, over, ma'am.
Speaker 5: Would you mind keeping your voice down?
Speaker 6: We don't want feel to know we're here.
Speaker 12: Well, I'm not talking loud, but there's something I want you to know.
Speaker 7: Well, it'd be better if you went back into your house, ma'am. Just stayed atill this is over again.
Speaker 12: That's sorry, but I want to tell you about that.
Speaker 6: Ma'am.
Speaker 12: Well, I got to thinking and I figured maybe here he wasn't too bad at it.
Speaker 6: After all, we don't want to be rude here. But I think it'd be better people back in your house. All this talking is a lot.
Speaker 5: Will let him know that we're here, but that's just it.
Speaker 12: I don't want anybody grout. So I called him, well, I called him, told him he didn't have a chance to give himself up.
Speaker 5: Unknowingly, missus Jenkins had made it.
Speaker 6: Impossible to take the suspect without violence by warning him. She had put him on the alert.
Speaker 5: We had no alternative now, but the apprehendum is best we could.
Speaker 6: Five forty pm.
Speaker 10: Caleb and Crowley are cover in the back of the fellows are covering the sidewinders.
Speaker 6: All right, let's go.
Speaker 7: What do you want?
Speaker 8: Open up?
Speaker 6: Come on, Field, we want to talk to you.
Speaker 8: Oh, be there in a minute.
Speaker 6: He open up, Field police officers.
Speaker 8: All right, over there in a minute.
Speaker 6: Let's go. He's stolid block. Come on, let's hit it, all.
Speaker 7: Right, all right, the fireplace, Joe, I'll get it, guys, I'll roll you cups only Malone.
Speaker 6: I'm straight, bags full of money.
Speaker 5: Joe Parsley burns my money.
Speaker 10: I could do what I want with it, and you bet you can't.
Speaker 5: Hands behind you.
Speaker 6: Come on, I'll take him down. He's clean, Joe.
Speaker 7: You got him.
Speaker 6: Huh Yeah, we got part of the loop too. He was trying to burn it. Charlie and Ill shake the rest of the house, right Mac, All right, how about it? Field? We got the money. People are can identify you.
Speaker 7: Car park in the driveway fits the description. You've been through this before. I got out a que on December tenth. You pulled this job on January twenty.
Speaker 10: First set right, Like I said, I fell once, I did my time.
Speaker 6: Joe, Yeah, Mac bomb his wife hiding in the back bedroom, bomb a saw off shotgun.
Speaker 10: Let's get him out of here, say Frank, Yeah, message came in for it before I left the office forgot about it.
Speaker 8: Say who it was? Firm?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't leave the name. Here's a number. One's your phone right away. I'll call it now. We can take feeling good Mac. Thanks, we'll be right behind you. We're want to talk to his wife anyway, okay, forel let's go all right, come on, Frank, come on Hollywood two four seven one. I don't know anybody with that number. A simple way to find that just to call him. And it's kind of late. I'll go ahead and call him anyway. Yeah, here's a phone.
Speaker 10: I'll check where you later, Frank, check right time?
Speaker 6: Come on, let's go. I want to use the phone. Yeah, go ahead. You gotta die. Yeah, yeah, I'll leave it for the call.
Speaker 8: Who it is? Hello?
Speaker 6: What place is it? Oh? Well, this is Frank Smith. Are you looking for me? Yeah? Yeah, he dies. Oh yeah, that's that's the right address. Yeah, I should have known.
Speaker 7: What's that call from the Murphy house, Queen and Company, where they were my brother in law call him in the queen up our house?
Speaker 6: Yeah? What about how they wanted no where to send the bill?
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true. The names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 4: On February nineteenth, trial was held in federal courts City of Los Angeles, State of California. In a moment the results of that trial, Kerry Q. Field was tried and convicted a violation of the federal bank robbery Statue. He received a sentence of twenty years in the Federal Penitentiary McNeil Island, Washington. The investigation showed his wife, Dora Field, was not implicated in any way in the robbery. You have just heard Dragnet a series of authentic from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Departments Technical Advisors. Captain Jack Donahoe, Sergeant Marty Wynn, Sergeant Vance Brasier. Heard tonight, We're Ben Alexander wit Connor, Jack Rushan, script by John Robinson, music by Walter Schumann.
Speaker 6: Hell give me speaking tonight.
Speaker 7: It's Barry Craig, confidential investigator on NBC.
Speaker 13: This is Andrew from Otrwesterns dot com. I wanted to invite you to come take a look at her site where we put on podcasts of old time radio Westerns. Check us out at Otirwesterns dot com. You're listening to the great detectives of old time Radio with Adam Graham. Let's get back into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. I have to hand it to Ben's wife's family for having the forethought set up a dedicated system of rotating relatives in order to deal with the deadbeat brother in law. Now, of course, what the bank owner wanted the guard to do in this episode is generally the opposite of what most modern companies want people to do when confronting a robber, because the guard did the only thing he could do well. I do think the bank president had a legitimate complained about holding the door open for the or the chain open for the guy. Well, that's usually good customer service. You kind of think, all things considered, he might have spotted the guy was up to no good from a greater from a distance. That's the end. We see how things can get messed up if you decide to take action just on your own thought, rather than contacting the police. Thankfully, no one got hurt or killed as a result of the landlady's intervention, though the bank did have some money loss that obviously can't be recovered. All right, well, that will actually do it for today. Join us back here tomorrow video Theater and it will be Richard Diamond. Join us back on Monday for not Beat, and then next Saturday another episode of Dragnet. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, Slash Radiodetectives from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham signing off.