Speaker 1: What's up, music heads, We are back. You are listening to Crash Course Pod. It's been a long hiatus, about nine weeks, but Crash Course Pod is officially back on the mic.
Speaker 2: I am your.
Speaker 1: Host Ashtone and I really needed a break to recharge, but I just couldn't stay away any longer, especially not this week. So let's get into our topic for the day. Two days ago or a few days ago actually now. One of the most anticipated music biopics of the decade, Michael hit the theaters, and if you've seen it, you.
Speaker 2: Know why we're here today. I have not yet.
Speaker 1: Anyways, we're just talking about a pop star. We are talking about the architect of the modern music industry.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: We're breaking down the genius of Michael Jackson. All right, you guys, So.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: You can't talk about the genius of Michael Jackson without talking about the Sponge. With Sponge, I'll tell you. In nineteen sixty eight and nine year old Michael auditioned for Motown by mimicking James Brown's every move. Nine year old Michael performed James Brown I got the feeling for Motown executives. Gordie later said that Michael was a sponge in the way that he didn't just sing. He studied the way the adults worked, controlled the room. And it just that Barry Gordy didn't just see a kid, he saw a professional in Michael Jackson. So then we have the Motown machine. The Jackson Five were the ultimate product. They were the first act ever to have their first four singles go number one. By nineteen seventy those four singles that went number one was I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save, and I'll Be There. They all went number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred.
Speaker 2: So the first major crash.
Speaker 1: Course lesson, in my opinion, is always knowing when to leave. And in nineteen seventy five, the group left Motown for Epic Records because Motown wasn't letting them write their own music. With that leave, they rebranded as the Jacksons, and Michael began transitioning as a solo dominance with Off the Wall in nineteen seventy nine and also by teaming up with Quincy Jones. So let's get into the musicality of this man. Michael Jackson was a vocal percussion. He didn't just sing lyrics. He dictated every baseline, every synth layer into a tape recorder. Michael Jackson would often beatbox or vocalize every single layer of a track, the rhythmic pocket and even the string counterpoints, and his engineers would listen to that on the tape recording and produce the magic. He was essentially a human daw digital audio workstation. His hiccups and gasp I'm not gonna gasp, but his gasps weren't just ticks. They were percussive instruments. They were there to fill the empty spaces and the melody, keeping the listener's ear engaged even during the transitions.
Speaker 2: So let's start off.
Speaker 1: With my very first song, human Nature. That's like one of my very favorite songs so written by Steve Piccario of the band Toto.
Speaker 2: That's the origin.
Speaker 1: Anyways, if you listen to the subtractive arrangement, it's ethereal. Michael Jackson uses a reathless, whispered delivery that creates a sense of intimacy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The why why?
Speaker 1: The that part is like a call and response with the sense that sticks to your brain forever.
Speaker 2: Why why that way?
Speaker 1: I love that song. It's so angelic and beautiful and melodic.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: So then we have the song black or White, which you guys should be writing these down. So if you have never listened to a Michael Jackson song, because who knows, I would say start off with the band you know, listen to I Want You Back, ABC's.
Speaker 2: I'll Be There.
Speaker 1: Those are like the top three from them as a group that I really really like and everyone else does too. And then if you want to start getting into his solo career than its human Nature and then Black or White, Black or White, So so far you should have those songs written down to check out later. Anyways, everyone thinks that Slash played that main riff on Black or White because he's in the video, but the actual riff, according to my sources, was written and played by producer Bill Botreaux. Just a little, just a little fun fact on the crash cars. Anyways, this was a genre bending label at its finest, hard rock, pop and rap bridge. Michael Jackson used one note harmonies in the verses to build pressure before the chorus exploded. My favorite part of Black and White is that guitar.
Speaker 2: Turn dun.
Speaker 1: Dun.
Speaker 2: I took my baby fond.
Speaker 1: I don't know the words, guys, but anyways, I love that song because baby or my baby don't matter if you like go why I love that song.
Speaker 2: Can we get an apploud for me? Alright? So the last song I really love. I feel like this last song.
Speaker 1: First off, write it down, but then I feel like this last song should be like the new national anthem. Like this song, every American or wherever you're from, you should wake up and sing the song every single morning. It should be national bells that go off and every human being seen to this song every every morning. And that song I'm talking about is Man in the Mirror. That's like my top three Michael Jackson song.
Speaker 2: The Build. It starts with just the.
Speaker 1: Just dry vocals, no reverb, and it's raw, and then at like the two minute mark, like the two minute fifty second fifty three second mark, we get the legendary key change.
Speaker 2: I don't really know, but like this specific maybe G major, I don't know, but that's.
Speaker 1: When the key changes. And this is the holy grail of pop modulation. It's exactly when the gospel choir enters signifying the change in the lyrics. Not to mention the lyrics are are just so reflective and inspirational. I love a song. I was gonna mimic it just now, but I forgot the open.
Speaker 2: I'm starting with me looking at the man in the mirror and change his ways. That's all I remember. And then like as the song progresses, he gets more like into the song and it's just like I'm starting with the man in the mirror. Whoa, you know. I don't have these written down. But another song.
Speaker 1: That I really really like of Michael Jackson is You Rock My Round and Nana.
Speaker 2: As You Rock My World.
Speaker 1: I really liked that song and it's a fun listen. I really I think when I was a kid, I saw the premiere of that music video up the year it came out.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and one, so I was like ten when the song came out. But I really like I like the music video because it tells a story, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gives me a little bit of like a modern take on Billy Jean, like the vibe of Billy Jean. You Rock My World is is epic.
Speaker 2: You Rock my Wound. And my favorite part of that song is when he goes and girl, I know that this is love.
Speaker 1: I felt the Magic song Indy I forgot the I forgot the melody, I forgot the whole the melody, but I love it and then.
Speaker 2: The oh oh oh.
Speaker 1: All of those little takes in the song, as you could say, I love it. And then there's another song. I call it the Free Willy Song, but the actual song is called It's actually will you Be There?
Speaker 2: Dude. I loved that movie Free Willy as a kid. That song came out in ninety one, and so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this song will play like at the end of the movie Free Willy, and I would just do my little performance.
Speaker 2: I love that song. Hold Me you and my friend carry Me like you're my brother, like you my mother? Will you be They? And then at the endages builds up hold Me, hold Me. So yeah, those are like my couple of you. He has some modern music and they're good. Actually I do like it. It's just these are my favorites. These are my favorites.
Speaker 1: So hopefully you guys wrote those down, and yeah, check them out for yourself and listen to them. Just to throw in a final one. People also like Smooth Criminal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was gonna go into detail about his newer album, and we'll probably do that on another episode, but let's move on for now and talk about his.
Speaker 2: Let's see what.
Speaker 1: Do we want to go into now We're about to end the episode, so let's talk about how Michael didn't just want to be good. He wanted to set the standard that Virgo perfectionism in him, and so he spent his later years calling the next generation to preach the gospel of branding. He was great at branding, and I think that's what separates a superstar from a global.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: And I use the word god as the step higher than superstar. Anyways, he told the group Brownstone to treat their name like Coca Cola, like a Coca Cola brand, not just a hit. And during the Invincible Sessions, Michael Jackson mentored Brandy on harmonic stacking, and so if you listen to her album Full Moon, you're hearing the Michael Jackson method of vocal percussion.
Speaker 2: And then we have Usher.
Speaker 1: And Justin Timberlake, who they both cite him as their stage professor. He taught them that being a master requires a sacrifice. Most people aren't willing to make. Tune into the next episode because this was just part one of Michael Jackson. We are just getting started. So if you want to hear more about him, tune into our second episode. That is where all of the Part two information comes. Thanks for tuning in, guys, I had a great time. Links and everything are below Bite