Speaker 1: Job scam, another hit skinner.
Speaker 2: Why can't you be a gentle clinker? Four finger discounted.
Speaker 1: Welcome to four figure this game where this week we're here to review episode eighteen of season nineteen. At the Simpsons. It is any given sundance.
Speaker 2: I'm down to and I am guy, not quite a nerd, not quite a hunk.
Speaker 1: Na I feel like carb diet. You becoming hunky?
Speaker 2: Yeah, less husky, one might say.
Speaker 1: Has Louise commented on it? You clearly dropped Wait a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Louise has dropped like nearly ten kilos next to which I don't think she needed to do because she was beautifully curvaceous. Yeah, and now.
Speaker 1: She's stunt so Nicholas the same. She's been like exercising the garage gym set up to be working out and doing like the YouTube workouts, and they're really really hard. She got me onto them, but she's been doing for the last three months. And last night she was sort of like following the washing and I was just like, first of my sort of properly notice I was. You know, because you live with someone all the time, you see him every day, it's hard to sort of notice differences unless it's a hair cut of things like that. But I just went shit, Indeed, you're looking great.
Speaker 2: Welcome to more simping with Dando and guards. Welcome to the wife guys.
Speaker 1: But a question for you tailgat parties. Do you wish we had these in Australia?
Speaker 2: This is my very first notes. I think I like the idea of tailgate is more than tawergate parties themselves. You see footage of them in the US for outside any professional football game, especially college football games. They seem to be huge, real community but they seem they seem like great fun. And you know, I remember school sports days, you know, when people sort of rock up with the full driver station wagon and whatever and just unload the picnic basket. I think I don't think I'm the kind of person who gets invited along, say so, have a sandwich you or anything like that. A tailgate party seems a lot more you're right, inclusive, a lot more friendly, a lot more welcoming.
Speaker 1: I think I need to experience one to have a proper click, and that's with most cases. But as I said, I like the idea of it. I think every single time we'd probably get annoying. But I do think I would appreciate just hanging out before a game, cause I feel like now when we go to the footy, we get there like twenty minutes before the bounce. It used to be when I was growing up. My memories of the gone to the AFL footy growing up was that we'd leave it like eleven am because they'd always pay the seconds that the reserves came beforehand, so we leave like ten thirty eleven am. It was an event. You go pick up Beaumont's pies on the way to the footy, get there early, watch the reserves play first.
Speaker 2: Pick up our footy record, hot hot pie, cold drink. Yeah, you'd get a double feature. You'd get you know, like the reserves and then you get the main event.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was perfect. Yeah, now just we need to go back now. It just feels like you get to the game just before the bounce and you know, you get the game finished, you just walk off. There's no sort of community vibe to it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get a big gay Katie Perry experience. I mean that in a very positive way. I went to a Grand Final here in Australia. We had the Grand Final, the AFL Grand final Los again.
Speaker 1: Our super Bowl, very very small, smaller scale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that extends to the entertainment as well. But Katy Perry provided the opening entertainment, the pregame entertainment. Katie Perry has been in the walls a little bit recently. Her recent album has been regarded as a bit of a stinker.
Speaker 1: We've got that first interruption here. So Elliot is home from school holidays at the moment, Alliot, what's up, buddy?
Speaker 2: It's a special guest.
Speaker 1: Turned off? Right, Come here for a second. I've got actually a storytep. You finished this story in the second mister, mister Davis, Come here, Elliott.
Speaker 2: Come. It wasn't really so much a story as a rambling anecdom.
Speaker 1: Elliot coming mate. So it's currently don't knock that camera, buddy, come over here, all right, So we're gonna hop on this camera with me. Okay. So what happened was this week at school holidays. So Elliott's home at the moment, he's, you know, being a good boy, watching his cricket out in the other room. Well it was, but on the weekend we went to the swimming pool. Now a month ago, Elliott was a child who wouldn't was panicking before swimming lessons because he didn't want his face in the water. It just hated the water. Wouldn't get in the water, hated water. I can relate Elliott telling, good guy, what did you learn how to do yesterday? Swim? He actually swam. He taught himself how to swim yesterday. We bought him some goggles and he goes. I said, he, I don't want to keep what I was going to teach myself, and he is practice practice and he was swimming by the end.
Speaker 2: Tell people, for.
Speaker 1: Those of us, how good was it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: For those of us watching on video, you'll see that Elliott has a Spider Man t He's not actually Spider Man. He's Aquaman.
Speaker 1: He's Aquaman. Yeah, moment was very very proud of you. Proud of you, wasn't she? What's Aquaman's man? Is a Marld kid?
Speaker 2: Get out of here.
Speaker 1: That just shows how bad of a job DC you're doing.
Speaker 2: That's true. It's like it don't even know who Jason Mama is and you look like him. I don't know, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'll come fix the TV. Will be right back after this short back.
Speaker 2: I'm going to finish most story about Katy Perry, see Bud. That's very impressive. That's a good work by anyway. What was I Yep, Katy Perrys are having a bit of a hard time at the moment. Her recently release album is regarded as a bit of a stinker, her single is regarded as a I don't know, bit of faux feminism. Is not really landing on that well. In twenty twenty four, she's kind of played out for mine, redeemed herself completely at the part of the pregame entertainment at this year's AFL Grand Final thought you did a really good job.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch any of it. I'm back. It's good that you weren't here for that. That's all you got to add to the story. Yes, but tailgate parties just seem like a lot of fun. I want to experience them at least once, just to have a proper thought on it.
Speaker 2: I get the feeling you may have people who in the Simpsons, of course it's satire and pushes scenes to extremes, but you may have people in real life who do go a bit far and like, you know, set up a really elaborate grill or something like that. I think a Towergate party should be you know, keep it simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, have a few snags Hamburgers, few snaggs Burgers. Yeah, don't go chicken kebabs occasionally, yeah, wow, okay, okay, the skewers, I know, because some people think kebabs are souvakis. It just depends where you come from.
Speaker 2: I guess, as I've said, I mean, there's that bit in the Flight of the Concords where the New Zealand guys have got their line about I'll buy you a kebab in the song. Yeah, they've read like added to America, so they're buying you like a sho It's like, okay, no, no, it's a it's a Schwamer.
Speaker 1: It's it's a Sorry.
Speaker 2: We're doing Seinfeld a bit later, and already I'm going to Seinfeld for Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had to do the pick exclusive for our supporters on.
Speaker 2: Patriot and as you said that, I went like that and it could be easily misconstrued.
Speaker 1: So any given Sun Dance, I mentioned last week the end of the episode that oh, I don't have really fond memories of this one. I actually enjoyed it. I really enjoy that charm was in Skinner one're life nothing. It didn't blow it for them at all. No, they were Actually that's pretty cool, and I liked that they were power players. And yeah, we're able to tell redacted to We'll get to the cameo. We'll get to get the cameo.
Speaker 2: It was nice sort of cameo from John c Riley, John c Raley with John c Riley, which I wasn't expecting. I'd forgotten about that entirely, and I initially thought it was going to be a cameo by independent film legend Jim Jarmush. Turned out he played a pivotal role in the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And it was actually really good, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: He's really good. I mean he came he came into prominence when I was becoming like a budding film nerd in the eighties. Okay, you see this guy and he was always wearing like as guy bends over and he's changing his death. He always had like ray bands on if you're if you're watching video, I just put ray bands on. But he's always got this like rockabilly hairdode that's went from dark to gray and now it's this shock of white. But he's still got the you know, the long Sideburns and the and the rockabilly rockabilly quiff. It just seems like the coolest man, imagetable and very laid back, and.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't know who he is. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: He just makes a bunch of He's never really sort of broken through, but he's made the kind of movies he's wanted to make for like forty years or something.
Speaker 1: Is he the Pixies of the film, He's a bit like that. Yeah, everyone likes Pixies, but they've never really been mainstream, that's correct. Yeah, Yeah, Well I thought he was great in this. Really they worked the cameo into a story, into the story that actually felt natural and organic and actually flowed the story flowing absolutely, it didn't just feel sort of like thrown in for the sake of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because, I mean the way they're talking about Sundance here, I mean it could feel inside baseball and also a bit kind of oh, look at these wankers.
Speaker 1: Which is why I don't think I liked it as a kick. I had no idea what was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and I think that probably is if there's a fault with the episode.
Speaker 1: It's that that's a fault. They're definitely making it for themselves. But I think it's important that they did this because in a way, do see Sundance kind of in a pretentious way, or they sell independent films. Their consensus is it's kind of pretentious in its way, right, and it's inside basewise. You said, so, I think an episode that sort of flows like that suits.
Speaker 2: The Sundance Festival. It does be Yeah, I mean gently taking the piss out of it as well. Yeah, but you're always taking You're right in what you're saying. It's like, we kind of made this for ourselves, and we do want to show that we're not in with the in crowd, but you know, we can speak the language. And one day we hope to maybe graduate out of the writer's room and oh, get my low budget investigation and my family made and shown that Sundance and bought for teenlean bucks and now lunching with the big boys.
Speaker 1: I've just got here. The quote of I'm a Bond filmmaker when you're younger, so true. We've all had that moment. We're just like, I can make movies. I'm going to do this. It's going to be a piece of piss. When you're a kid, you're fearless, right, You're fearless in your approach, and you haven't truly experienced professional failure yet, so you've got no fear of the fail.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, yeah, so you just do anything you please. And yeah that's Jaws usually, well that's the thing. I mean, for every dude who made Jaws, that's Steven Spielberg. By the way. Yeah, there were probably a dozen to one hundred and two who made their first movie and it's like, we don't want this, We don't want you, sir or madam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you're you're a Lisa. They kind of want you. And then Nelson's okay, Spielberg comes around, like we want that one, or.
Speaker 2: Is Nelson even Spielberg. It was really just because yeah, that was a sign. Dance is littered, and all these films was a littered with people who's like, you gotta be the next big thing, or you know, we love your movie. I mean, the best example I can think of, I'm not sure if it's a sun Dance movie or from another film. Firstival, there was a movie called Happy Texas and it was what, ye oh, this is mid nineties. This is when there was a real sort of boom in independent films.
Speaker 1: Is that because of pulp fiction?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was a low budget crime company about these two escape cons who Texas.
Speaker 1: Okay, looking at it now, break out of jail.
Speaker 2: These aren't Steve's are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's got a good cast, it's yeah, and they pose as I think it's gay party planners or festival organizers or something in this small Texas town and everybody has a life lesson. It's just mainstream. It's quirky enough not to be considered holy mainstream, but it's mainstream enough not to be considered holy quirky. I think Miramax bought it for like ten million bucks. It was made for like two million, and but then nobody went to see it.
Speaker 1: It's like nineteen ninety nine ers when it came out, No no, no, yeah, and that's a box office one point nine million. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the Ausier movie The Castle was like a similar example. I think it played at one of these film festivals and it was like, there's gonna be huge, and I mean, of course it was huge. Everybody loves the Castle, but it don't if it really translated yeah, but yeah, that's kind of what Sundance is. And yeah, you've got a whole bunch of filmmakers like I'm gonna be Steven Soderberg. He was, He was like a huge hidden sun Dance. But yeah, for every soda Burg or Spielberg or whatever, Yeah, you've got a thousand who are like, Okay, I'm going to Tarantina got his break, I reckon.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it wasn't wasn't pop fictions that cans cans, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But Reservoir Dogs I think was at Sundance, was it? Okay? Yeah, yeah, but anyway, that's enough sort of me film winking.
Speaker 1: But that's what this episode it is about, though, And I thought that the line it's near the end where he goes this is my new favorite clist, the one I just watched. Yeah, that completely just sums up the vibe of these festivals. Isn't it's absolutely the hot new.
Speaker 2: Thing, and certainly even I mean they allude to it. With Comic Book Guy being an nonline reviewer for ain't it fat much of your question, Ain't.
Speaker 1: That felt very nostalgic for me, just a little nerd on his little website.
Speaker 2: But certainly with the rise of social media, you'll see people changing their Twitter acax handles to so and so at this festival at Tip Toronto International Film Festival or whatever, and a lot of you're not really getting considered reviews of the movie. They've just come to see. It's like just out of so and so first impressions. Yeah, another time, that's me.
Speaker 1: After I saw Force Awakened, I was like, they've done it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, I mean you're going to get a lot of that snap judgment as opposed to considered opinion, and so that's I think that was something that the that the episode actually did pretty well.
Speaker 1: And they incorporated just a really sweet family Lisa's story here right. Oh, you're Lisa learning and this is very relatable. You know, you might think that your family life's no good, but there's going to be someone else who's worse off than you and Lisa. Not that they're saying here that Lisa got nothing to complain about because she has, but she realizes it's not as bad as she thinks.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely right. There was something else I want to talk about regarding that as well. I mean, if you're a creative person or you want to pursue some kind of creative endeavor, you have to be old saying go is write what you know. I mean it can have you know, dragons or wizards or hobbits or whatever. But what's really going to connect with people is what you bring to it on an emotional level. What you know is your emotional truth. And that's why a Simpsons podcast. But how much how much on the on this on this podcast are we often talking about the Lovely Luise all.
Speaker 1: It literally came in and how to swim?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So yeah, any creative thing that you do is going to be derived from what's around you. And yeah, there's going to be a risk that the people that you draw inspiration from might not like what you got to say about it, or might not. You're saying too much, You're revealing too much, But you know that's what that's where, you know, the heart of art actually lies.
Speaker 1: I think the longer a show goes on too, For example, we get a lot of people writing in saying I listen more so for just you guys just chatting, as opposed to hearing you review the Simpsons. I wasn't even watching the Simpsons by this point. But when we're first start in the podcast. We do often get reviews of people saying, stop talking about your life and talking about the Simpsons. I think people's expectations of a podcast has also changed as well. I think so when we started ten years ago, it was I want to hear a show about the Simpsons. Now it's I want to hear these guys talk just talk about the Simpsons and every the other.
Speaker 2: Day and how we fold, you know, what's happening in our lives, how it relates to the episode that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and yeah. I just thought, yeah, I've got here. This wasn't just a spoof of film festivals, the festival of the festival hype. It was actually just a sweet story of Lisa realizing her family life isn't as bad as she thinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct.
Speaker 1: I do think it was kind of similar to Barney stealing the thunder at the film Festival In the Stars.
Speaker 2: Burns, Oh yeah, I mean this is very much a star as Reburns, isn't it. Yeah. I mean there's a lot of beats that are quite similar.
Speaker 1: I mean it's not I think it's not beat for beat, but it feels like that they.
Speaker 2: Have sort of strip mined stars burns for some part and particularly that yeah, that final part with Barnie or Nelson.
Speaker 1: It was definitely it was more of a crossover with the critic that was that was the heart of that episode. It's right, it was a piss take of film festivals and just people throwing in films. But this one felt more adult. I think a more sophisticated version of a star's burns. Stara's burns is fantastic, but this one felt like a more direct takeoff of know, referencing sun Dance and having that kind of thing, but.
Speaker 2: Be a little more specific and actionally name checking Sundance as well. Yeah, I mean that that has its upside down its downside.
Speaker 1: My favorite will be you favorite moments from the episode quite a few beside charm Skin.
Speaker 2: Do you ever think about the logo of course production full Finger Discounts, that's what it's called, right, I was up very late working so last minute deadlines. I'm not firing on all on the full Finger Discount industries or Fulling dishan product the full Finger Discount network. I mean that sort of has a logo, I guess, but if you ever thought about like a yeah, because we're about to launch another podcast and you're sending through here's a logo that we're thinking. It's like, yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Put a clock in it.
Speaker 2: Charmskin was great, something that I like a little throwaway gag. But the Lisa's can called is called my Little Sony.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't say that, and it.
Speaker 2: Had like the rainbow from my Little Pony, which.
Speaker 1: It would have been at my Little Sawny.
Speaker 2: You can't have everything. I love Jim Jarmer showing up. I loved that it was more than a cameo, and I thought it was great that John John c Riley just showed up at the end. He did a really fun and fascinating, likable guy. Incredibly talented. I mean he's great in dramma, he's great in comedy, he's great in musical.
Speaker 1: I loved him in was it King Kong? He was in King Kong Kong? Yes, yeah, yeah, he's really good than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But he would just pop up in things unexpectedly, like he was in like the Tim and Eric Show, the Tim and Erics Sketch comedy show, playing like this wacky doctor named Steve Brule, and he just had like really thick coke bottle glasses on and sort of like shock of a raiser head hair and just pulling faces.
Speaker 1: And if he was like Big in the nineties, he would have been like a perfect guest star for Seinfeld. Oh, a quirky friend of Kramer's or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, he's just fantastic across the board. So for him to pop up just and have a couple of lines and be very self.
Speaker 1: DEPI felt very much. John c Riley didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you've got a lot of good Homer stuff in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved his definition of quirky. No, no, it was be quirky is a grandmother giving a finger. I'm like, that is like the perfect description, is I mean, that's that that grandma is basically a character from any given Jack or Jack, but also his riff when he's gone through the junk mail, the charity mail.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's their listing things gag.
Speaker 2: But it's when it's done well. Yeah, I really I think my friend was green Peace. You know, get a piece. I'm I agree, and you can tell you he's really stoked a little of zingers and he's coming up with it. But honestly, so was I I love.
Speaker 1: His vision of the forty four film Festival was oh yeahause the.
Speaker 2: DVD islary.
Speaker 1: Time has gone by and everyone just left film ships at the festival.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there are more and we will get to the man get to them. But what did you enjoy?
Speaker 1: Well, my other home and was him? I wanted to be famous for catching Santa Corus. I'd be famous for being me for catching satday course and the gasping. But you need to limit your gasping where it's such a high actually eight years old. If you're a fan of everything we do here at fourth Finger Discount, but you're kind of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger discamp family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your palas Guy and Dano for a little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash fourth Finger Discount. Next question, you there eating the beast?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: It's trivia time. My first question for you, mister Davis, is what is the headline of the newspaper when they're talking about they hold up something that has Homer on.
Speaker 2: It, Oh, the news or something? Yeah? Uh, local man reason because beer is banded, aquarium or something.
Speaker 1: Just as a querm to stop serving beer.
Speaker 2: That's ok. Yeah, because he's in bunching with local man ruins everything. What's on Molman's apron?
Speaker 1: Oh? Good question, no idea cereal griller? Okay, not bad. I have another question. What does the sign say at sun Dance?
Speaker 2: A little sub it says do not feed Ben Affleck. Poor old Ben cops it on every show he really does. At the same time, you and I both have pretty good lives. Yeah, would you trade it for Ben Afflex.
Speaker 1: If I was single, Yes, I wouldn't trade.
Speaker 2: I don't think I trade lives with them. I don't want to trade life with Matt Damon so I could hang out with Bennett. I don't want. If it means no, how long I have Nicola with the kids in my life, then no, Yes. But I think I think if we're single, you going with Ben Afleck's life, right, you'd have to.
Speaker 1: I think it just seems like such a rollercoaster. You never know what's gonna happen when you open the door.
Speaker 2: It seems like that's such an interesting dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, mat David just must look at him and.
Speaker 2: Go, ye, crash on the can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that just wakes up and bends on the couch, is like, yeah, alright.
Speaker 2: In this household we love and respect Ben Affleck. What scene of Lisa's film has March tenderizing meat?
Speaker 1: Ah, so you're going to pick this? Is it one thirty two? B?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: Yes, Clark was going to be one of my questions that you've ruined one of mine. So I'll say, what is this teacher's name, the film teacher? It's Kincaid, Kaid, Yes, the correct Yeah, and I'm done my questions?
Speaker 2: Do you have anymore? I got one more?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: What is Nelson's mum getting with her Laramie Bucks? Ah?
Speaker 1: Man, I should know that too. What is it?
Speaker 2: It's a golf umbrella?
Speaker 1: Golf umbrella? That's right. Okay, it's now time for some stone cutters.
Speaker 2: Stone cutters.
Speaker 1: We do indeed love the following people. Katig with her one hundred support, thank you so much. katG andrews her with his fifty dollars support. Of course, Zach Pruitt, our main man here at for a discount, our editor, helps with the editing. And Andrew Swanny Swan, the Lord of Discord. He's going to be on a call with me tonight to help set up the TV channels on my plates. Then I mentioned one of the recent podcasts.
Speaker 2: I felt slightly vindicated. The other day I saw one of the patrons had mentioned.
Speaker 1: The three stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is the third d down and that story because not, well, we're recording another podcast. Keep alluding to it, but you know you'll get to it when we get to it. I said, you use that line in both of them, and I edited that both times.
Speaker 1: You know, I listed him once and no. The first one was because it was a mistake because it was talking about the wrong anniversary date and he set up after that, so you because it was about the mats, I was litib bely there'll be no mats, which is because that was your cover up for getting the anniversary wrong. So I just added out the whole thing. Scond Onie was edited act just like O in every podcast.
Speaker 2: I just love that line. But it made me feel good to realize that Dando is also prone to rebeating him.
Speaker 1: I think I usually preferce it too by going I know I've told this before, but I get tired again.
Speaker 2: I hear myself saying that, I'm sure I've told this story before how many times? Yeah? Put that on your being O card. Guys, I'm sure I've told this one before, and also yeah, the following people as well. But plex please, yes, good, don't come to my place next and help me sort mine out.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Rossi, Rached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn d V, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin Dantel, Planned Flood, Shannon Hoofer, Bella winder Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrick McLeod, Lewis Cavanaugh, Martral Even Reese, Roberts, Ginger and Pickle Preston Murray, Telea, en Riquez, Jeep Mesado, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Hellier, Logan, b James Shephard, Joe Reading, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lang, Dami Miller, and Charlie Joe. Thank you for being top tier stonecutter. Supporters at four finger discount.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're cutting in a stone to build a skyscraper.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. Yes, we're very lucky. And of course, if you have joined us in the last couple of weeks and you are a five dollar plus supporter but not on the top tier, you'll get your name right at the end of the month. All right, let's get into our review of any given sundance. So the episode originally aired May the fourth, two thousand and eight Star Wars Day. The couch Gag The Family is a pop up in a pitch book not chortboard gag, written by Daniel Chun and directed by Chuck Sheets.
Speaker 2: Is it is an alias for someone doesn't feel like a real name.
Speaker 1: Chuck Sheets, doesn't It Just it reminds you of Chuck Laurie Chuck? What Chuck is Charlie? What's Chuck short for? For Charles Charles Charles Sheets. It's a bit of a tounch Charles Sheets, Charles.
Speaker 2: Sheets, imagine he went with Chuck Sheets. But the same time, it feels there's like a character in like an eighties teen bona freck co.
Speaker 1: It reminds you of something that what's the dude from two families. Charlie Sheen would actually play of Chuck Sheets.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I don't. I don't think it sounds like the cool guy. I think it sounds like the cool I Reckon's the nerd who like shit the bad ones. Like he had the Chuck sheets. So now we've got to call cherk sheets. Look at the Cherk sheets. And then yeah, by the end, Chuck Sheets becomes like a stud.
Speaker 1: I wish I was ever thought of as a stud. Like that's like the peak of man, right, Like, I what a stud? If you hear girls call you a study, You're like, I've made it.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I can't get any better. I'm a stud or a studd muffin. If're a study muffin, that's what your grandma calls you, Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully you don't what your grandma said, Come here, your big studs.
Speaker 1: Nicolay called me a spunk once, and I was like, oh, take it. Yeah, I heard that.
Speaker 2: I heard that once as a teenager and wasn't feeling particularly you know, up on myself that side, and some girl said, oh, you're a spunk, And I'm like, wait what.
Speaker 1: I overheard nickol like calling me a spunk the night where we met to one of her friends and I was like, I'm going to go to that girl.
Speaker 2: Half the battles one.
Speaker 1: So we kick off at Springfield Stadium. The family are arriving early because there's a tailgate party. And what childbirth is to women, eating trunk meats is to the be waned. So basically, yeah, I just go here tailgating. It seems like a lot of fun. We din' get flags. Tailgating is fun. It's been a while since we had his little flags, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is? And you know how I like flags.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's something I ended to bring back because it always brought me great jo because I never noticed it as a kid. Then once he pointed it out, I was like, they're everywhere, and Button Lisa are arguing because Homo says there's nothing better than this, and they say anything's better, everything's better. But I think I would love to experience this. Yeah, as we said, but Ralph, he's made a Ralph witch and I could have.
Speaker 2: Done with it as I've written here enough for the Ralph. Yeah, they need to move on, And then they follow up with some sides meal. Yeah not as much side Jo mail which isn't he That's true and admittedly what they've got him doing here with his Yeah, it's traditional rival schools yelling insults in one another, and these are kind of esoteric and that kind of thing. It makes sense. It wasn't necessarily they had funny, but I appreciated.
Speaker 1: Like the payoff was cuddling at the end, but that the payoff was worth it.
Speaker 2: That was good. Yeah, but I appreciated what they were going for, even if you know the execution wasn't quite right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also like mooching, which is what Hammer and Bart do here as well. Don't bring in the meat, that's moo mooch off the mole man.
Speaker 2: I've been known to mooch. There's mooching, and then there's this outright theft, which you know, you grab a stag off someone's I guess, so, yeah, gave a mole man's meat.
Speaker 1: Yes, So margin Maggie are washing the foam fingers, doing some chores. Lisa then says she's gonna work on her school video project, which has to capture the beauty of the every day in her school film, and she captures just like a little montage with things Carl and Mal they were arguing now and hugging the tattoo on the back of the drunk woman laying on the ground a turtle on its back, and also Barney laying on his back. So he's just back to being a drunk again. Revert about yeah, yep. Lisa then shows the video to mister Kincaid and this was great, as we're saying earlier, when you make your first little video whatever, you think it's the best thing ever made. You think they're gonna love this. Oh yeah, and you give that three stars out of the three points out of a possible five. She's like, ah, are you sure? Are you sure I can give it a two?
Speaker 2: I don't. Yeah, there's a great line. Listens to the show and I'm a big fan of the filmmaker Wes Anderson in his film The French Dispatch. You've got this young guy played by Timothy Shallamy, the Shilah buff of twenty twenty four, not quite a nerd, not quite hunk. He shows like his political manifesto to this woman and she actually gives him notes. I just gave it to you so you could tell me how good it was, so I didn't expect notes. And I'm like, oh god, I can relate. It's like when I'm buzzing on the first draft and someone's like, what do you think of this? Like I would tell me that I would change this this, and this's like, well you would, but yes, mister Kinca gives her three out of out of a possible five.
Speaker 1: And yeah, like the quick cut, the man is an idiot, just telling Skinner that, you know, this is what's kind of likes it, doesn't he She goes, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. It's Kinna actually likes the East.
Speaker 2: But he's a frustrated filmmaker. And yes, so yeah, he's he's really into it.
Speaker 1: He's got his emotions, got confidence, he's got mill house.
Speaker 2: I did love that. Lisa was just again being a right nerd. Its like, was it talking about Aristotle's principles of the story. John, He's like, there are six pillars.
Speaker 1: Tell us what you're thinking about drama. Don't give me the nerd drama in your life. Don't don't tell me the nerds stuff about you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she can't stop herself. It's the other three is one.
Speaker 1: But no. Cinema is his secret passion. He's written screenplays, including with Ednam at Seymour Ghost Willy, which pays off later. And I think one of thee was killing Skinner's mother mother, Simmer's mother and the principal who sold a screenplay. Yes, so he's no longer allowed at the Universal A lot? Was this a jab at Universal in La? I didn't know it existed either until I heard there was a second Simpsons World. I didn't know there was a Universal Studios in l A and you not the one you went to was the one in Florida Theme Park. I didn't know there was the one in Florida. I and I knew there was a thing for it there, but otherwise thought that's the big one. That the one in LA's tiny. I'm thinking about the Universal Studios tour. The tour, yeah, yeah, I didn't know that that. I need the Warner Brothers one. We did the Warner Brothers one, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, Ohio, the Universal Studios Tour in LA is the one with like the shark.
Speaker 1: With the you know letter on, just like, how did I know this? But there's one in Hollywood because he's banned from the Yes, yeah, Skinner wants to know that the drama was already discussed, and she says she's going to do one better family and he tells me make a documentary about the family, gives it a key to the a Vy cage, which has a film nerd. It was like, well the magic yep. And but he does say, if you ever win an oscar, you have to give it to me. She's like, yeah, sure, whatever, especially built cabinets, cabine makers. They all laughed at me. We come back from commercial and Lisa is still in the family. I don't want to say breakfast time.
Speaker 2: Okay, everyone just be yourself, don't look at a camera. Were dad, I'm not here? And No.
Speaker 3: Two pays well, and I'm going for a Shila buff thing, not quite a nerd, not quite a hunk, sh the buff.
Speaker 1: That pretty much sums up Shy with the buff right pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's.
Speaker 1: Not really doing anything.
Speaker 2: Nah.
Speaker 1: He sort of honed it on the mean world for a while, didn't he Like, yeah, well he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of gone off the rails and oh yeah, I mean I think his private life is shall we say, troubled and turbulent. Okay, yeah, but it was interested when he was a child star for a while there, and yeah, like a literal child star, like it's maybe eleven or twelve, and being on Disney Channel shows and I've been the scrappy little comedian and then.
Speaker 1: I don't know until Transformers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Transformers comes on and it's like you might want to buff up a little bit, so clearly hit the gym, and then he was doing other stuff. He's a really good actor. I mean even in those Transformers movies. I mean he really commits and.
Speaker 1: Yelling out after that was like, okay, he's gone for it. But one of my favorite memes is him applauding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great. Although that whole thing that what was it?
Speaker 1: Do yeah, do it? Yeah, But now that the study you've had applauding, it's just the best. But like here too, that he's going to all this an onset romance and Marge referencing sex as snuggle I think it's like the best. One of the best things that Simpsons have ever done, have discussed is that they never say they say sex, but Marge refers to as snuggling. Awesome, I don't think it's so cute. And we get a montage here the song here so great spoon, I turned my camera on right. I really liked it. I thought it fit this montage, this Spoon.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm really writing for the Lovely Lays this episode, but she turned me on the Spoon Good Band.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I watched this rite and realized, particularly in the latest seasons, I want to do a piece an article. I feel like the Simpsons, you know, we always talk about it. It introduces you to various films in the introduces me to a lot of bands now that I didn't realize, and songs that I really love. They particularly use them in montage, just when they But it makes me go on referencing, look and look it up and research and go, oh yeah, I like that, And I find new bands as a result. The Simpsons, not just film references, musical references. Yeah, I had never heard of Spoon.
Speaker 2: Not gonna lie and I don't listen to this, and I was like, I now like Spoon Good Band. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the family just doing a bunch of random stuff that wasn't all that funny.
Speaker 2: But I've got a nitpick.
Speaker 1: I've got a particular one for the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I've got one from right now. You see Homer alowing they passed out, got a number of beer cans around him, five to begin with. Later the cut back and it's shot from the same angle, but there are six.
Speaker 1: Enough time to sort of sin one in.
Speaker 2: I think, don't reckon anyway.
Speaker 1: The magic of filmmaking. That's true, but how often do you watched sitcoms and they have make mistakes like that because one person took a bite out of something and they forgot to sort of That's why they say you should not eat much when you're filming.
Speaker 2: A cigar.
Speaker 1: A real bite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: But Charmers arrives, you're encouraging students creativity, and he says, we've got to support Lisa here because we can live vicariously through her.
Speaker 2: So I mean soul that you thought I was angry, so now legitimately.
Speaker 1: Now legitily angry. But he wants to show up the Creative Arts Academy who have their building made out of modeling clay.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they keep reading Modeling It every afternoon, just despites despite Charmers.
Speaker 1: Yes. Now, what's the film festival that Skinners suggests first? Because it starts to be I think it's going to go.
Speaker 2: Sounds Canadian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then Chalmers, there's been a Bamshman or whatever. We're going to go to Sundance with this thing. Oh you mean the preemptive Film Festival held in January and Park City, Utah. Was that just a gad to sort of make everyone aware of what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. I think everyone's a really obvious exposition.
Speaker 1: I think anyone at least in their teens has at least heard of Sundance. Right if if you don't really know what it is, you've just you've heard of sun Dance. Is Sundance the independent film festival.
Speaker 2: I think it's certainly one of the first, and it's yeah, got a bit of longevity. It helps it. It was established by Robert Redford.
Speaker 1: Oh of course, yeah, because he gets reference later on an episode, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the letters from Robert Redford. Isn't it that once she gets Yeah, but the school are now not only the High, have the High the school with the highest Hampston mortality rate. They're going to be known for having a successful film. The band are doing the score, the bullies doing the sound effects. So as we're saying, so, they're doing this set up hitting Martin. When magicule in the mate she brings out like a clever or whatever. Now we're at Sundance and they're going through the various films which they're going to accept.
Speaker 2: We're getting too many mainstream movies.
Speaker 3: Where are we going to see a submission with a sun Dance independent film spirit Paul Gier Marty is the world's greatest super spine who only exists in the mind of an overweight, a gooraphobic jazz musician played by Martin Lawrence in a fat suit. Oh okay, here's one from Springfield made by a vegetarian, intellectual misfit people. You know, you have to limit your gaps at this altitude because oh and she's eight years old.
Speaker 1: And then accused of the ambulance and they dead.
Speaker 2: Run out of breath.
Speaker 1: Yes. So now we're back at home and this is you're mentioning earlier home. We're going to the mail and then he's just mocking various charities. Yes, but then Lisa gets accepted film festival. I just thought one of the better moments in a while. Now they're driving to sun Dance. Was this a take on the Shining because it looks very similar to when the Simpsons are driving in the shitty yeah, around the cliff good point, Yeah is it?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It kind of looked like it the winder and the cliff there anyway. So it's where Parker Posey meets Parker red Poses wants to meet Jim Jaron Mush. We can ask you who he is. That's funny. It's so true because it's one of those people, like you said, you may have heard of him, but you don't actually know much about it.
Speaker 2: It's just a cool name. Yeah, well it's like Jim Josh Mush, Jimush. Yeah, I actually know who this person is. Hey, that's him.
Speaker 1: Who are you? I'm the guy that can eat onions? But and I cry, But then he cries because the last time they were going to see each other. And you think that's it, but it's not. Lisa is now handing out the badger so they can get into any film they want to go see. Marge here goes to see Regularsville. It sounds like my kind of place.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what was it? Yeah, it was a dude in Dragon, Yeah, in Drag and then.
Speaker 1: Uh Candy Family Game now a great family movie.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's able shooting up.
Speaker 1: Every title means the opposite of what it means. So then we graveyard. I think I like this. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was waiting.
Speaker 1: I was waiting with a bunch. I was like, I really heard their nails and they did love I did all that needed?
Speaker 2: Was it? I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 1: This was a good episode, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of good stuff in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lisa's now it stands top of Lisa's screening and I didn't like you, but but I mean it fits the character. But when Scar Chalmers and Skin are trying to get in and then I have the passes, I don't know them, I was like, it works again, well fits the character, but I don't know throw on a bone, yeah exactly. But then they get put on the sled. This is actually good playoff too, like the Mormon Church. This doesn't seem realistic. Oh it's not. You crash you have lying in countries on a snowbank. Then it's time for charm Skin Simpson and this is my family. One two three, another shoot go.
Speaker 3: Why life me letters?
Speaker 2: We never get more than one move into this change.
Speaker 1: What a wonderful film about horrible people. They're like the family from Helen Acid that's on steroids. You stupid kid. What if I wanted here barefoot? You did? Dad? Good?
Speaker 2: Happy faith?
Speaker 1: They Mom, thank you dear what a depressed saying, Oh god, it's happy birthday. Mom was like, oh that's actually depressing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But then I don't remember what they say about Maje. But the death to Maggie looks the family are annoyed by this, obviously, and Lisa says, look, it's all change in the editing room, edited by Lisa Sinemson. And what she actually says, yes, proudly edited we come back, and the family explained that they're all disappointed about it.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and then but said, well, my knew always near you a lame. I didn't know you were bogus.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then want to burn We get the quirky. Quirky is a grammar who gives people the thing so true. And he says, you know, you made us look like monsters. And she says, don't worry because no one's ever going to really hear about this, you know, like it's just at the film festival. Cue coming book guy on these websites.
Speaker 4: Yes, Lisa Simpson's unflinching, darkly comic family portrait is the can't mishit of the festival land Speeder, Do not benfer to your nearest cinema to see Lisa Simpsons stab her family in the back with her camera.
Speaker 3: Don't you dare post that review?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you're too late. I have just hit entered sending the Wi Fi beams along their way.
Speaker 1: If I can help it, come here, beams, Come on where you come? Too many? Then we get a Willie Allen, we do, Yeah, he's thinking the adopting scarlet Johansson? Is that so wrong? Should we even go into it?
Speaker 2: We should not?
Speaker 1: Do you think that's one thing they probably want to take back now? Or was it by the Oh no, by this point they're taking the piss out of him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think so. I think when is this because I mean eight, yeah, the real current backlashing ongoing backlashings when I didn't start until what twenties sixteen, twenty seventeen? Was that okay? Yeah? Yeah, I mean, look, this is a can of worms that we really shouldn't open. Now we'll never get all those worms back in, but the people now want to get But still, I just wanted to do my Woody Allen personation one more tame I don't think it's so bad that it won't you know, Scott's Johnson.
Speaker 1: People want to get into the charm skin business and Skinner the good businessman. Here a ten percent of the first dollar price European distribution rights and access to the most exclusively IRP ten at Sundance. And do you think that something's going to happen? It just you think you think they're.
Speaker 2: Going to sort of be a quirky grammar and give him the finger. But no, no, he gets into was it a scary hobos chili tenth?
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever it is. Yeah, everyone just keeps coming up. Skinner, it does. Yeah, now that's time. Reading the Daily Variety. The Sun Dance Loves Little Backstabber is the headline, and the crowd will look at them say something dysfunctional. I love the crowd yelling because they say something to Nelson as well, say something tragic. But Homer, you know, he checked my kid. I want you doesn't want to do it. We pay your salary. I feel like, you know, it's so often people just feel like they don't own actors, but actors have to sign things like I said, we pay your salary. It's like, oh yeah, but they're also providing entertainment. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In my ongoing bid to to remain relevant as I reached the end of my life only fans, I'm trying to pay more attention to popular music bands like Spoon, for instance. Are you aware of the singer songwriter Chapel Rowan. This person sort of it. She's so innovative and I listened to one song, I'm like, this is Cindy up a mit Lady Yaga. There's nothing new that put the clock in it. But yeah, talented, energetic, a good performer. She has recently been in the news. He's like, guys, I know, I know you like the music, and I know you're like stuff, but you know, please don't come up in the street give me a selfie, bitch, all this kind of stuff. You know, I'm kind of a person with feelings. Everyone's going, fuck you.
Speaker 1: Bitch, so self dis fuck your feelings.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it really is kind of a bargain that or a you know, a weird bargain that you make. It's like, hmm, yes, I think I'd like to be in the public eye and famous and recognized for my work. But at the same time, he'll like Homer in the in the shower piece. My animal friends guys come on five minutes.
Speaker 1: It would be like con He's top of He's on top of the world. He just rides the subway and people, people respect himenough to just going me.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if he orchestrated that sad meme. It's like he might be sad today you're living. He's probably a.
Speaker 1: You suckers for fools, spit three the key. I'm not sad, I am kia.
Speaker 2: It must be nice, it.
Speaker 1: Must be nice. Indeed, But Lisa thinks that perhaps that you know, maybe I knew all along this was going to happen. Maybe I'm the monster this film is exposed. Maybe I wanted to expose my family and expose myself as the monster. Then Jim Jammers comes to comfort, comes to the rescue, and he talks about his Chipped by the dozen three film, which is all dead kids. If you're a fan of everything we do here at Fourth Finger Discamp, but you're kind of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the Fourth Finger Discamp family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your palas Guy and Dano for a little as one dollar per month patreon dot com slash four finger discount. But he takes it to see Life blows Chunks by Nelson and very much similar to the the Barney Gumble film. But yeah, charm skinn, I like that. That's like, oh yeah, I never put eggs in one basket two buses. Skinner game didn't really work. I don't think it's just.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't hate it, that's right.
Speaker 1: But this has this was also really tragic this film. That's one of the saddest lines I've just heard on The Simpsons. I like to cry at the ocean because that my tears feel small. Oh shit, lovely crap. At least it realizes maybe you know that people are the bigger family issues. You know why am I so worried about mine?
Speaker 2: Oh? By the way, another film nerd Reverence. The very last shot of Nelson's film where he's standing in the ocean and you get the very pretentious Finn on the end that is a deliberate echo of Francois Truffau's famous film The four Hundred Blows.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The Barny one end with Finn as well probably does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of shorthand for just say the end. You're in English, just say.
Speaker 1: The artistic ending. Yeah, but the festival buzz is a funny thing. And I like this film way more because I saw it today. Yes, as we mentioned earlier, Lisa's film will only be seen now. And Slept flights for a Leska Airlines and its regional partners actually just partners. Yes.
Speaker 4: The point is you made a great movie and you ought to be proud and now, like the best independent films, I must fade out with a cool dissolve.
Speaker 1: Ow. That hurts silly, but it just seemed to work. It just seemed to work.
Speaker 2: Well, it's him just being you know, cool wise, yeah, but also taking the.
Speaker 1: Piss out of him. Yes, exactly. Yeah, and Nelson's now popular with his mum. There say something poor.
Speaker 2: What I really enjoyed was then posing for the paparazzi. I really love the poses that Nelson was striking to just go.
Speaker 1: He is having a great time, wasn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then his.
Speaker 2: Mom did like a karate post like Charlie's Angels or something. That's great.
Speaker 1: But the Simpsons now kind of missed being in the limelights. And this is that I didn't see this gag coming. I should have seen it coming from a mile away. But they're like, you know, Homerson, maybe can do another movie March, see no more Simpsons movies. One was plenty. Yes, didn't see it coming, but it worked. It was well played. But I think this is where Lisa says I know that you love me, and vice versa, even though we just show it in a quirky way, a little call back to the Queens work. And this is where John c and we get a nice, little soft sweet music and it's it's like, oh, it's not a nice ending.
Speaker 2: You actually told a story you've finished at the beginning, a middle, and an end un present.
Speaker 1: Then John c Riley appears and he wants to be in the charm skin business as well. I am ghost really? Who I am ghost? Really? Seems kind of needy see you on the set. So they give him the gig and over the credits, Skinner and charmers, the glass can't Why can't you be a gentle Clinkland And that's the end.
Speaker 2: Good episode, Good episode, any given sun Dance. Yeah, well, I think I was a little concern going in. I thought, you know, not that I dislike Lisa episodes, but or Lisa sort of focused episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I can be a bit preachy, a bit didactic, but no, this one was what was kind of fun.
Speaker 1: It was nice to get a story. We like story, Yes, we do like stories, as would say I like stories. Yes, I just think that this is an episode that you appreciate a lot more the older you get. Yeah, because as a kid, I can see what I would have been what not a kid by this time have been twenty But I actually I don't remember watching this one. I remember charm skin being a thing. I could not tell you what it was on the front. But maybe I don't know. Maybe I thought it was a different episode. I always whenever I think of documentaries, I think of that one that features Eric from Monty Python and that one I just didn't really know.
Speaker 2: They weren't great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't great anyway, Good episode, any given Sundance indeed, what do we learn bomb esp what you learned from episode?
Speaker 2: Mister Davis, under no circumstances should you feed Ben Affleck?
Speaker 1: Ah? Well, if you were invited to a dinner for Ben or Ben texts you right and it said take me somewhere, where are you taking Ben Afflet for food Duncan?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That just seems like he's hanging it, doesn't it tracks. I'm sure I've talked o'clock shadow again. Put it on your being o Card. I'm sure I've told this story before. But there's the clip from SNL when Casey Affleck was hosting and they did.
Speaker 2: Like a short video him. It's just this Boston dirt bago hung out of Duncan Donuts. All that one of the funniest fucking things. Casey Affleck, very funny guy. Ben Affleck, very funny guy. But yeah, i'd take him to Duncan.
Speaker 1: Casey Affleck seems like a guy that would be more of the loose cannon. Though if you went out, I feel like he's going to be the problem.
Speaker 2: Apparently.
Speaker 1: So I learned that you can never topple and they will always be king director's commentary deleted scenes. I can take a gift whatever. Director's commentary always the King.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a winner on the when you you know you pick it up the increasingly bare shells JB or somewhere else smaller and small well, I mean I'm a member of the Facebook group.
Speaker 1: That's I mean there putting out like stops, short stores gone, or taking like sad photos. This used to be the the av sex of the JB. It's not there and any cuts to the cloud.
Speaker 2: Just a single tear rolling down the cheek. But yeah, I mean when you're grabbing off the shops like director's commentary. Okay, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite special feature special director's commentary for me, I reckon So that are a good making of doco making of Yeah, yeah, I do love making it for me. Though if I'm buying something up making of, I'll probably buy it. It's going to making of a good one. I look at the length as well, because now they put the length it was like forty five minutes plus. You know it's going to be a proper one, absolutely, not just one of those spots where it's like, oh he was so great to wake one.
Speaker 2: Of those ten minute things. Now they were paying the ass I was looking through old tweets the other day because I have got a big ego and B it was research your old tweets, my old twist yea yea yea yeah yeah, Well I'm going to read other people forget about it. I own this movie on DVD called Bad Dreams. It's like a Nightmare on Elm Street.
Speaker 1: And I know bad Dreams dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, good movie and when it was broad.
Speaker 1: Also a good local Australian band. They're still a band, but they were when I used to be on radio. They were a good band. I like them bad dream I've never heard of the band, just an independent Australian band. Really liked the from adelaideykay continue, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to look them up on one of my a music streaming.
Speaker 1: Service back when used to be check us out on tip j onearthed, oh.
Speaker 2: Check us in and band camp.
Speaker 1: Still a band, I'm just looking just looking up here directly a Bad Dreams is an Australian rock band from Adelaide. I was right and it says is and are so they are still a band. They formed in twenty eleven, released a debutp in twenty thirteen. Four Studio albums. Now we've all reaching the top forty in the Area charts. A poor formed alongstid of the likes of Midnight Oil, DM as a Scientists and the Chats. Yeah, well the Chats my boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bad Dreams still kicking goals after all these years.
Speaker 1: I was big in the local music scene fifteen years ago, like it was my thing. I was know as like the local music guy. People like, I mean, he'll always be the kim Pipers to say to me, you're kind of like the Malagium of like today, And I was like, I can hopefully I don't pull my pants on the stage when I'm mold up.
Speaker 2: But not making any guarantees.
Speaker 1: But you watch old school Molly Marrigement, it's like the guy had no idea what he was doing. He was drunk at the time, but he knew what he was doing. But it wasn't it wasn't professional. It was just a mate on TV. And that's what people liked about it. He had a strong enough base knowledge, but most of all, he had enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think we should get all bands on the show. It's a good idea, yeah anyway.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Bad Dreams not necessarily huge. It necessarily a critical success. But you know, those who know it know it. But yeah, when it was brought out on DVD, it's like, this's got a director's commentary, this has got a whole lot of behind the scenes stuff. It's got, you know, a couple of trailers. They know what they're doing, a music video for it's and this is a film that you didn't really go any the eighties, didn't. It was like eighty eight. Yeah, so you look now it's like, okay, furiosa, this should be a big title, a lot of stuff on it.
Speaker 1: There's not much a trailer the digital download I want that give me, Yeah, just commentary making of you and your set. That was it. Our pals and Entertainment know exactly what they're doing. They really do.
Speaker 2: They genuinely do. Actually, actually they really do, because you know they hire people like your strongly to provide some of that contact. Umm, that was a really we added a bit. How appropriate that we added extra features to the what you've learned? How about I think that might have been your plan from the get go. Yeah, so that's what I learned, and that's what you learned, and now you know it too.
Speaker 1: Now I am about to learn who is going to be getting three points in the Great Davis New Name Championship.
Speaker 2: That was a pretty silky segue by.
Speaker 1: I tried that. I was like through the weeds.
Speaker 2: I got it, I made it, I landed the plane. Well done you, I own new names, new name.
Speaker 1: Time forward, Your names will be all right. Currently the board stands at this Mister Davis in first position obviously is our mad Jared Hornby on twenty three points.
Speaker 2: Got twenty three points.
Speaker 1: The dead.
Speaker 2: It never gets old, except it really does.
Speaker 1: In second position we have Adam Wolhouse sorry, in sec Phil Hawkins on fifteen points, and in third position we have Adam Moorehouse on fourteen points.
Speaker 2: You made Adam all excited then second anyway, I.
Speaker 1: Made Phil go wait a minute, wait up minute time number two. Do you think people get genuinely annoyed? If I suppose they're putting lots of effort to come up with these names. If I fucked that up, it would ruin Phil's day. They would ruin Phil's next five minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: One point in the new Name Challenge for any given sun dance goes to fifteen minutes of shame.
Speaker 1: Oh not bad from Rage Beasley Rag another one point of what on Rachel? I think she's on two points.
Speaker 2: Now good John and rage two points goes to well Rache Beasley, but also to the Sundance kid.
Speaker 1: That's what's our man?
Speaker 2: His name, he's jeered, he's got to him my buns.
Speaker 1: I think that means he wins now right, he's less unless our next one is our man Phil with the three pointer.
Speaker 2: Let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: I still don't think you can catch up now. I think that's that's enough, just episodes left, so I think I think it is.
Speaker 2: Still keep putting names in jar because we like, we just like singing that song. Three three three points, yeah, three points go to sundance, bloody sundance.
Speaker 1: What's a good one with our man Steve Roberts, I mean Steve, I don't think he's working in the factory anymore. We used to call us on.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, he'd be operating heavy machinery while calling us on zoom and yeah, we was afraid he was going to lose a digit or an eye or burn the factory down. But he's still there and he's still giving it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it doesn't work if it's not Jared, so he is now in eight points. Well I'm Steve and man Steve all right, so lived the world now third position. We have adamoal House on four. Unfortunately Phil our Man didn't get any points oh boy this week, so he's still stuck on the fifteen and Jared hornby ten points. Clear now in.
Speaker 2: Two episodes to go, as I like to say, it was my understanding there would be no mad six points. He said, we're gonna catch up to ten points. I believe that six is less than ten. So look, we're not going to name a winner at this stage or do that at the very end of the race. But yeah, his name is Jared and he looks like he's than you did. But we'll announced that properly when or when it's all when it's all done and un you say said and done out say sun dance, but said and done couldn't come out properly. Yeah, I've got I've got problems with words.
Speaker 1: What was that? What did you have for breakfast? See garbing out for a nice breakfast? Pull the curtain back. We record the new names a couple of days after, just to give you guys the next couple of days. Could we record on the Monday the main review on the Wednesday morning, we do the new names. Just to give you guy a couple of extra days to put in some some some chances. That's correct, some entries. But going out for a lovely breakfast with Louise today.
Speaker 2: I did with not just Louise, but two of her kids because at the school holidays, her brother and her dad. Who is saying, I'm going have for breakfast every day, kids feel free to join.
Speaker 1: Me even when you can or feel like goes every day for breakfast.
Speaker 2: Well he just goes down to the Condinua Cafe and every day, well he's not far from there, and he has a cup of teen. He knows the guy who runs the place.
Speaker 1: And there's a guy he knows a guy.
Speaker 2: He knows a guy who's willing to put a bit of bacon and eggs on the grill. So we did that. Well, I mean I had a little time before we started recording. Wednesday is traditionally lose day off the kids are on school holidays. We said, so it was like, well, this is the one day that we're not recording our new podcast that we have to do at a specific time on a specific day. More information to come. I keep looking at it. So yeah, it went down to the Codinua Cafe on Latrobe here in Geelong, Gelong reference for Geelong people had sausage's knes. It was a very traditional I mean it was not like not like fancy. It was just like you know, it was like I was a truckee on the road roadhouse. Yeah, but even Roadhouse started to fancy this ship up, this bit fancy. Yeah, this is just you know, you got to the places I'll have the big breefast and you get fancy sausages and what have you done with? What have you sprinkled on these eggs? This was like he's some scrambled snags. He's a couple of snags that looked like the pack of ten that you get the no name making a bit too crispy. The bag looked really good. I just had sausages and eggs on and it wasn't on sourdough.
Speaker 1: It was on that's the thing off this hour. It was on plain tip top with a bit of butter bread. I'll tell you what. It was fucking delicious. It was really nice, just the way Mama used to make it.
Speaker 2: You'll take that like ap So, yeah, this was really good. So yeah, I'm feeling quite energized because I had a good Aussie breakfast in good company, couple of snags in the morning, a couple of snags and coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The smell of sauce. What does that remind you the most of sausages? For me, it reminds walking into Bunnies on Oh okay, yeah, I was like, we're at Bunnies. You can smell the barbecue. Reminds me of walking down.
Speaker 2: Packer giving a gold coin donation to Nikola.
Speaker 1: And my wife.
Speaker 2: Here you go, you earn this all right?
Speaker 1: So the next episode I've seen nineteen minutes shall be reviewing is Mona Leaves It. I believe this may be the finale of Homer's mark. Oh, I know she meets her demise at some point soon. Her name is Mona and it says Leaves in the title.
Speaker 2: Wow. Could they could be calling their shot at that one? But no.
Speaker 1: The better bit of a roll season nineteen so far we have not been last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Terribly disappointed were the I think the theme of these last few weeks that wasn't bad, but that was all right.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong. We've had some shit episodes this sea. We've had some shock the last three. I feel like I've been pretty good.
Speaker 2: They haven't quite knocked him out of the park, but they have been. I don't earn more baseball terminology the home run.
Speaker 1: To quite a conversation we had profride there. You mean they went total five out of five?
Speaker 2: Wow? What a subtweet.
Speaker 1: There is just I think it is out.
Speaker 2: There is just get it out.
Speaker 1: There are too many Simpsons content creators out there saying that the new episodes are perfect and they're great and then tagging the show creator is.
Speaker 2: Like, fuck off, one off.
Speaker 1: They are good. They are good episodes, they are not five out of five. Honestly, I don't think there is a five out of five episode of The Simpsons. Maybe a handful, to say, the premiere of season thirty six was a total five out of five. Stop with the circle joke.
Speaker 2: Indeed we are you were basically John Love's going another Jim So I don't do it.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, whatever, just made me laugh Anyway, guys, next episode is going to be Mona Lisa. Thanks for supporting the show here each and every week at the four Finger Discount Network. Remember if you listen to some Spotify Apple podcasts, please don't get don't only give us five stars, give us a crime review as well. We'd love to read all the reviews. If you want to get in touch with us, it is mail bag at four finger discount com dot au. If we do have a couple of sped dollar you do, some financial support on Patreon would be much appreciated as well. But for now, I say, Davis, any final words for those amazing listeners out there.
Speaker 2: I do a final words, but I just want to say, you know, the five stars is good for the algorithm, but a good review is good for our egos, which is equally important. Now final words for our listeners. Well, we hope you've enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: I love that you turn to the camera. Day you've created among stups I've turned. Nobody wants to see Marshall no more. The camera's off for this be here. Every time he turns to the camera, it makes me smile.
Speaker 2: Then I'll then I'll keep doing it because I like to make his money.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of forfing a discount to the podcast that is sometimes lame, but never bogus