Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Is that what your sweepers just setting up the lights, the mobile light units, closing down lanes. Nothing's really even going on yet, but let's close it all down in rush hour like before nine am. I want it which takes away lanes from you know, necessary travel.
Speaker 2: I want to say it has something to do with unions, okay, but I don't know that for certain like the union would prefer that they work during the day than overnight, despite the fact that everybody else in the world.
Speaker 3: I love that for them after nine am.
Speaker 4: Would rather they work at some point.
Speaker 1: And shutting down lanes in the eight o'clock hour seven o'clock hour is especially when nothing's going on yet, is perplexing.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome, you made it good. That's a good thing.
Speaker 2: So the President is in Abu Dhabi today and in the UAE. He's there continuing his trip throughout the Middle East. We'll talk about what kind of stuff is going on with him. He's not making a whole lot of headlines today other than this headline that is the Supreme Court today is talking about his executive order that would otherwise end birthright citizenship, and it is the first time that the Supreme Court is hearing arguments on a Trump policy since he took office. They could have a sweeping implications for his ability, of course, to implement whatever agenda he has been going through.
Speaker 4: We know the record number.
Speaker 2: Of executive orders that he has been able to sign in and then the very few pieces of legislation that he's actually signed. I think it's somewhere like five or six bills that he's actually signed into law in the first one hundred and some odd days of his presidency, which would be one of the fewest, if not the fewest, we've ever seen. So the question on the table for the Supreme Court is birthright citizenship. Fourteenth Amendment basically guarantees that anybody born within the United States or a territory thereof is granted citizenship in the United States. No questions asked. That's not where it ends. That's not where this question ends. But University of Virginia Law School professor Amanda Frost says, this is pretty clear that part of the question is pretty.
Speaker 5: Clearcutship is so fundamental and this executive order would create such chaos or to go into effect that I have trouble believing that five justices would conclude that the executive order is not just constitutional but also doesn't violet the statute. I mean that it's such a clear cut case for finding executive order to be illegal.
Speaker 1: But that is not what the Supreme Court weighs. What kind of chaos would this cause? How much? And do we want to deal with that? That's not something I'm supposed to And then they don't. I don't believe they do.
Speaker 2: But the other question about this specific case is what power does a single federal judge have? Can one federal judge in one small district I think there's a few six hundred I think is the number. I saw, six hundred districts for these federal judges. Does one judge in a tiny little district like that have the power to issue an injunction nationwide?
Speaker 4: Loyal LA Law School professor Justin Levitt.
Speaker 6: The narrowwerk question for the court is, if one judge decides that the government's doing something wrong, can it order the government to stop for everybody? Or better put, what are the conditions under which it can order the government to stop for everybody.
Speaker 2: So the Solicitor General in this case, John Sower, complained to the justices that there was was this cascade of these injunctions, these nation wide injunctions against a bunch of executive orders from the president, and he argued that that created a host of practical problems and said, these orders are a bipartisan problem, these injunctions that has now spanned the last five presidential administrations.
Speaker 4: And he's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, people on both sides of the political aisle have complained about a single judge being able to issue a national injunction on certain cases. But that argument of it just causes chaos. To your point, that's not why we do away with things. Generally, there is a process by which we live by the rule of law. That's one of the arguments against what the deportation programs that the Trump administration has embarked upon right now is that they're flooding the zone. Trump's oone argument is, okay, well, if we try to give everybody their due process, we're talking about millions of cases that they would have to go through that the immigration system simply cannot handle. That is not the that's not the right argument. The idea of chaos is something that we need to figure out and deal with, and that doesn't necessarily meaning do away with the rule of law.
Speaker 1: Mean Girls continues on the world stage as President Trump and Vladimir Putin are no shows. When it comes to Vladimir's Lenski, I mean, they're just like, we don't want to hang out with you. Putin's like, am I going to hang out with you? Trump's like, why would he go if I'm.
Speaker 3: Not going to go?
Speaker 1: It's very Mean Girls. We'll get to all the latest when we come back. Also, you're shot at one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: It struck me as the inviting somebody to a fake party and then watching them show up.
Speaker 3: Like middle school girls do.
Speaker 1: Like in Mean Girls, when they invite her to the party and they say it's a costume party and she shows up as a bunny.
Speaker 3: Hate costume parties, You love costume parties.
Speaker 4: Garyan Shannon will continue.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Walmart's chief financial officer says the terriffts are still too high, even though they went down to thirty percent on goods imported from China, he said, we are wired for everyday low prices. He's talking about Walmart, but the magnitude of these increases is more than any retailer can absorb. He says, he's concerned that the consumer is going to start seeing higher prices. You'll see that likely towards the tail end of this month in the Walmart stores, and then certainly much more in the month of June.
Speaker 1: Well, President Trump and Vladimir Putin continue to treat to Vladimir Zelenski like he is the step child on the Frost Soft team. Before we get to that. Your chance at one thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: Now, your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website bills.
Speaker 4: That's bills, b I l LS.
Speaker 7: Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything. Call the winning attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 2: Bills again, is that word goes on the website. If you win one thousand bucks, then we'll let you know via email. In an hour from now, we'll do the whole thing again.
Speaker 3: President Trump says he's.
Speaker 1: Not surprised that Putin was a no show for peace talks with Ukraine.
Speaker 8: Nothing's going to happen until Putin and I get together, Okay. And obviously he wasn't to go. He was going to go, but he thought I was going to go. He wasn't going if I wasn't there. I actually said, why would he go if I'm not going because I wasn't going to go.
Speaker 7: I wasn't planning to.
Speaker 8: I would go, but I wasn't planning to go. And I said, I don't think he's going to go if I don't go.
Speaker 4: And that's turned out to be right. Nobody.
Speaker 1: It's such a female middle school, high school response. It just is if you are a female and you went to high school, you know exactly what that is. Same thing, same thing of a party you're going to go to. If your best friend isn't going to a party, you're not going to go to that party. And if you know, maybe a friend who wants to be in the friend group, they're going to the party, but your friend's not going, you're not gonna go to the party to see your friend that you're not really that close with. I mean, it's all very reminiscent of the hellish time that is in a girl's life.
Speaker 4: And then whoever does go to that party's at dork.
Speaker 1: Do guys do that or is that a female thing that is very much a female Yeah. Trump did leave open the possibility of going to Turkey tomorrow. He acknowledged he does have a full schedule on his next stop in the Middle East UAA.
Speaker 2: But let's be clear, the President wants to go to Turkey. He's going to go to Turkey because the full schedule will be damned. He can do whatever the hell he wants. Yeah, and the Secret Service will make it happen.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: President Zelenski of Ukraine did show up in Turkey today to underscore his commitment to end even war and then just stood on the tarmac and basically went where is everybody? He is going to be meeting with the president of Turkey rests up Erdowan in Ankora. But he is not expected to meet with the group that is there from Russia. And again, this is a bunch of Triple A guys that show up from Moscow, not the major league guy that he wants to talk.
Speaker 1: To to play devil's advocate is Zelenski on the same level that President Trump and Vladimir Putin are.
Speaker 4: No, he is not. He is not a world power.
Speaker 1: He's just not. And they're showing him that. They're trying to say, Hey, you've gotten too big for your breitches. Pipe down. We'll meet you with you on our schedule. We're going to give you what we give you, we will. And that's just that. Putin included. If I want to see land to you, I will do that, but there's no way in hell you're going to force me.
Speaker 3: Trump saying the same thing.
Speaker 1: If I want to give you aid, I'll do so, but there's no way you're going to have a say in it.
Speaker 4: You don't have that power.
Speaker 2: It would be nice if Trump got back to his frustration with Vladimir Putin. Remember after there was some talk of a deal, Vladimir Putin launched a handful of missiles and drones at Ukraine. And whatever frustration comes out of a truth social post of Vladimir. Stop the weakness that that was. But they need each other.
Speaker 1: And if you know this about popular girls sticking together, yes they do have problems.
Speaker 3: With each other from time to time.
Speaker 1: They're not always in line with each other, but they need each other because together they're more powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but to me, that's the only crack that's gonna If there is a crack between those two, that's the thing that is gonna facilitate some sort of piece.
Speaker 1: The only crack. Do you think Trump cares about attacks on Ukraine?
Speaker 4: He does not. The only thing that will well.
Speaker 2: It makes him look bad, It makes him look like he can't control Vladimir Putin right, and.
Speaker 3: He can't cannot.
Speaker 1: So so they both have to realize that they can't control each other. You got two type a's here, two alpha dogs that realize that they need to exist together. And the only way they can do that because neither one is backing down. It's kind of like China and Us when it comes to Trey talks. No one's backing down from this. No one's going to be the patsy here. Like you have to just realize you're up against another alpha and then you just crap on people together because that's all that's left.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly what's left. Was Zelenski.
Speaker 2: Now there are some other talks that are going on that are lower level talks. I mentioned the Triple A team that's there from Moscow. We kind of have our own Triple A team. We have Secretary of State Marco Rubio who is in town, Senator Lindsay Graham, the Foreign ministers of France, Germany and Poland are there.
Speaker 3: Has Marco Rubio located his balls?
Speaker 7: Do we know?
Speaker 4: I haven't seen still he's actually.
Speaker 3: We have like a find my balls alert on our phone.
Speaker 2: He's the one cabinet member that has gotten particularly staunch support from from both sides of the aisle and the work that he's been doing, at least in the early days of the of the this administration. He is doing the dirty work, it seems of President Trump. But Middle East and Russian Envoy Steve Witcoff, his Special Envoy for Ukraine Keith Kellogg are all expected there. So I mean, we're getting a good International League versus Pacific Coast League matchup between those those Triple A players.
Speaker 4: But we want to see the big ones.
Speaker 2: We want to see Putin and Trump and Zelenski there in Turkey making some.
Speaker 1: Hay Didty's former girlfriend Cassie Ventura back on the witness stand today. A lot of the media backing off the details because yes, we've done the same thing. There's things where we're like, we're not going to get into that, but we knew this testimony was coming on cross that His defense has been that this is all consensual, and the defense is bringing up text messages that kind of say just that. One of the latest ones is that she expressed to Diddy that she was excited to participate in freak offs. Now with that text message where she says I'm down, also comes with the context that she was twenty one at the time. This was a relationship where the power was completely not balanced, and you're going to probably want to go along with whatever the guy who has the power wants to go along with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the prosecution has done a good job of describing and characterizing that fear that she had of him, and that they'll do so again when they have a chance to redirect, when they come back and ask her again.
Speaker 4: But again the defense is on the stane. We'll talk about some of the questions they've been asking her.
Speaker 1: Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Athletics at Dodger Stadium, a first pitch at seven.
Speaker 3: Listen to All Dodger games.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallupin Motors Broadcast Booth. Stream all Dodgers games INHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. When did we start saying the athletics routinely and not the a's not weird?
Speaker 4: Whoever wrote that?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Tonight is also show Heyo Tani fifty to fifty pablehead night.
Speaker 4: You're gonna want to get its fifty.
Speaker 3: To fifty men?
Speaker 4: Is that like a raffle or something?
Speaker 3: No, it's from last season fifty fifty stole. Oh okay, cool.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 8: Gary, you can't hate cost two parties because you look so great in the dress.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, you do. It's very nice you do.
Speaker 3: I mean your calves are a little large, but.
Speaker 4: Listen to you ankle lady. Oh thanks, Serry.
Speaker 3: Did you just tell me I have strong ankles? I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I was going to use the word sturdy, but strong was probably the more complimentary way to put it.
Speaker 1: The Sean Diddycomb's federal sex crimes trial back underway in New York City. Former girlfriend remains on the stand. This morning, the jury was shown emails between Puffy and Cassie Ventura. He's accused, of course, of forcing victims to take part in these drug and sex field parties over two decades. Faces life in prison for sex trafficking and other charges. His defense is, no crimes were committed and the accusers are out for money. I'm just going to park the car there for a second and walk over to the other side of the street where Smokey Robinson, by the way, was accused of stuff a couple of weeks ago by housekeepers. You would have thought with the career that Smokey Robinson had if that was the case, if he was that guy, and I again I'm not calling him a saint, I don't know him, but if he was that guy, there would have been more women that have come out since those allegations surfaced.
Speaker 4: If he was that.
Speaker 1: Guy that didn't start when he turned eighty, that didn't start when he turned seventy five, or however far those accusations go back. It's not that long, but there would be more women that have come forward since those initial women filed.
Speaker 2: You can use the context of Bill Cosby. Kind of right about that, because that was a long time when the words, when the allegations finally came out about Bill Cosby, there were a lot of people who came out and suggested that he was a predator in a way that we had never expected.
Speaker 3: Right, but we haven't seen that with Smokey.
Speaker 1: All right, leave that car over there, go back to the other side of the street. Now we knew this was going to come, right. We knew that they were going to go after Cassie and her character after she laid out Ditty for the prosecution right in the last couple of days Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, that today would be the day when they tried to impugne her character.
Speaker 3: Is that the right way to say that?
Speaker 4: Great? Okay? Perfect?
Speaker 1: She did via text message evidence expressed to Ditty that she was excited to participate in freak offs.
Speaker 2: This is a We mentioned this that this is going to be a touchy.
Speaker 4: The defense has an interesting.
Speaker 2: Line here because you're talking to a young mother who is eight and a half months pregnant, she's got two little kids, her husband's in the gallery, and the defense attorney in this case, Anna estev Esteval, who is on the Diddy team started questioning Cassie in what a Hollywood reporter called a very gentle tone of voice. Notable because a lot of times on cross examination, the first thing you do is you go in, You agitate the witness, you unsettle them, you cause them discomfort.
Speaker 4: But you can't do.
Speaker 3: That with a woman who's eight and a half months pregnant.
Speaker 2: Right, so she has to basically, she being the defense attorney, has to come in and say, basically, oh, you're mistaken, kind of like you're doing. We understand that you're upset, but you're upset for the wrong reasons. And she said, you and Sean Combs were in love for eleven years. You loved him and believed him that he loved you as well, and then said that love explains why it hurts so bad when he lied and when he cheated on you. And Cassie said yes to both of those. And the text messages you mentioned. One of them was a text message from Cassi Ventura two Sean Combs in April of twenty ten, quote, going to sleep now so it can be tomorrow faster and you can and you can be home. Love you, and he replied, love my baby.
Speaker 1: There was a text message in August of two thousand and nine that read this, I'm always ready to freak off. It can be whenever. Now that was two thousand and nine. It seems like the freak offs evolved, shall we say, to twenty seventeen, when the most gruesome of the testimony is that we heard earlier in the week is from they claim everything was consensual, and that's what they're trying to convey by these text messages being read in court.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you said this yesterday or the day before.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a hard that's a hard bar to get over for the defense to be able to claim that a woman wants that. Yeah and yeah, you could point to these these text messages as suggesting that it's either one of two things. Either she was into it, or two she was very fearful of this guy because, as you mentioned, the power dynamic was so wildly in his favor, and she had this burgeoning career that if she crossed him, she felt like at the snap of his fingers she would be destroyed.
Speaker 7: And he was.
Speaker 2: Holding over her head these videos where he claimed that he would make her look like a slut. If those videos were ever made, public.
Speaker 3: Right, here's the issue. I guess that they're trying.
Speaker 1: To to raise the defenses. She did testify earlier in the week that her first freak off was in the first year of their relationship, when she was twenty two, that it made her feel dirty and confused.
Speaker 4: That's what she testified.
Speaker 1: But now it's showing that subsequently she was saying I'm down for the freakoff, I'm ready whenever. But again you have to put into account, like you mentioned, the imbalance of power there, that she was probably scared. Who knows why she wrote I'm down. Maybe she thought she had to write that.
Speaker 4: You don't know.
Speaker 2: And she's one of expected three women to testify about these things, about the stuff that went on in these freak offs, and obviously she is the key witness because of her relationship with Sean Combs for ten years.
Speaker 1: It's not just that there's a lot of intimate text messages that we will not get into. If you want to read about it, read about it, but really probably very hard to listen to.
Speaker 2: What if you're her husband. That's the thing that I've been kind of stuck on. I have mentioned earlier that the judge had to allow the husband to watch the testimony because of the possibility that he has called as a witness by the defense. Later on, Cassie says that Shawn Combs raped her in twenty eighteen while she was dating the guy who was now her husband, who was now the father of her children, and he allegedly sent a text message to Sean Combs threatening to beat the f out of him for what happened.
Speaker 4: To cass surprise, it was just a text message. How do you get close to a guy like that?
Speaker 3: That's a good point, It's a very good point. Excellent.
Speaker 4: They are right now in a lunch break back in New York.
Speaker 2: They say the testimonies can resume, probably close to the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: So as these details come in, we'll.
Speaker 1: Definitely bring to all right, And a mother has been arrested in Texas this week for allegedly buying weapons for her son's planned attack at a middle school for his mass violence plan.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about what we know when we come back.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Supreme Court hearing arguments connected with Trump's order to end birthright citizenship case isn't directly about constitutionality of the order, but the scope with which lower courts can issue nationwide injunctions. Trump's order to end birthright citizenship, generally accepted as the law underneath the fourteenth Amendment, drew immediate lawsuits.
Speaker 4: Three lower courts have.
Speaker 1: Issued injunctions, So now it's up to the Supreme Court to decide if the lower courts really have any kind of authority like that.
Speaker 2: President Trump did say he was not surprised that President Vladimir Putin of Russia was a no show for the peace talks with Ukraine in Turkey. He told reporters, I didn't think it was possible for Putin to go if I'm not there. Secretary of State Marco Rubio is in Turkey for meetings with NATO counterparts. The Special Envoy, Trump's Special Envoy, Steve Whitcoff, is also in Istanbul tomorrow for what they say will still possibly be some talks on peace.
Speaker 1: Ashley Pardo is thirty three. She was arrested this week in San Antonio. They say she bought Ammo and tactical gear to assist in her son's attack on his middle school.
Speaker 2: This woman, it's not a surprise what happened to this kid based on this woman's own discussions with police.
Speaker 4: Well it's not just this woman.
Speaker 1: I have questions about the school as well.
Speaker 2: Back in January, the boy was first contacted in reference to drawings of the local school that he attended. The drawings included a map of the school, something called a suicide route that he had written, and then the name of the school written beside a rifle. School officials at the time talked to him and he admitted that he had a fascination with past mass shooters.
Speaker 3: So that's a problem right away, right away.
Speaker 1: Red flag in April, So January, February, March, April, the sun is now found researching the two nineteen christ Church mosque shooting in New Zealand, that one killed fifty one people. He's researching that on a school issued computer. He was suspended later that day, and that day he attempted suicide with a straight razor, caused a damage that required over one hundred stitches. And so he goes he's sent to an ultra hospital. Right, no, no, no, no, the alternative school. Oh until May. His mom, sorry, his grandma. He'd been staying with grandma every once in a while. Tag to police after she found her grandson hitting a live bullet with a hammer, much like you might see Wiley Coyote doing in a cartoon. He told his grandma that he received the bullet from Mom and that she had guns and AMMO at her house. Grandma told police that Mom had been taking the boy to a local surplus store and bought him AMMO, a tactical vest, black helmet, various army clothing, and on Monday, right before Mom was finally arrested, the boy told grandma he was going to be famous. Mom picks him up takes them to school. Grandma goes into the kid's bedroom and she finds all of these magazines loaded with live AMMO, pistol magazines loaded with live AMMO as well.
Speaker 4: Well, don't forget the improvised explosive device. I won't.
Speaker 1: It was a firework mortar style wrapped in duct tape. It had the words on it for Brenton Terrant, that was the shooter in that twenty nineteen Mosk attack.
Speaker 2: Along with the weapons in the kid's room, grandma found a handwritten note that referred to other mass shootings. Mass shooting suspects had a list of the numbers of victims in each of the incidents.
Speaker 1: Now, Mom's obviously a monster and an own mental health episode herself. But here's what I don't understand about why the school didn't intervene. Good thing, grandma called police. But why didn't the school intervene? Because Mom had been made aware of the threats by her son and at one point expressed to the school her support of his violent expressions and drawings. She said she did not feel concerned.
Speaker 4: For his behavior.
Speaker 2: Now, what did this kid have to do to get mom to buy the equipment at the store, the gear and ammunition just baby sit his younger siblings.
Speaker 1: Now, if your kids drawing pictures of suicide routes and rifles leading from school, and you know, the school brings that attention to the mom, and the mom it's like, yeah, no, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm not worried about it. And have you ever seen this place? Right exactly? That's a problem.
Speaker 1: You know, it's one thing at the school's overreacting and the parents are brought in and you're like, I understand why you would think this.
Speaker 4: I know my kid, I've got this. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: This won't ever happen. Again what have you. But that wasn't her reaction. That was like, yeah, I get it. This place sucks.
Speaker 4: Mom was released on bond.
Speaker 3: Also very troubling.
Speaker 2: I don't know how necessarily it works. I know, very thankfully. I don't know the bail and the bond system the way it's supposed. She was released on a bond of seventy five thousand dollars. Supposed to be in court for a pre indictment hearing on July seventeenth.
Speaker 4: This is free until mid July.
Speaker 2: I mean, she does have other kids, but grandma is obviously capable of caring for at least some of them, at least some of the time.
Speaker 4: So that story out of Texas, this is just insane.
Speaker 1: The La City Council's laying off a bunch of city workers, but it says to local businesses, you got to pay your people more.
Speaker 4: How does that work? Because that's what the.
Speaker 1: La City Council is telling businesses that work in tourism.
Speaker 3: You've got to pay your people more. You're gonna have to pay your people more.
Speaker 4: That's what happens when you legislate with feelings in that line.
Speaker 2: I got and as any part of the show go back and check out the podcast. In fact, subscribe to the podcast because every day, when we're done with the live version, the podcast version goes up right after one o'clock.
Speaker 4: Subscribe to and it'll get delivered right.
Speaker 3: To your Sometimes when I have coffee, it mixed me on.
Speaker 4: But also comment on it, rate it, share it, all of that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will continue after this.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app