Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search Ie on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to My on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve, you're Dave.
Speaker 2: We've got Kobe uh coach old House can't call us at four, he's too Busy's in a meeting or something, so we'll have to get him tomorrow or Thursday. Probably tomorrow, so we'll see, maybe get him and Brian at the same day.
Speaker 4: So you have breaking news there, coch Yep, we got some stuff. Former Arizona guarden Mike Bibbie named Sacramento State head coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does it say anything about his contract too, We already went to show not going to be very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sax State. What are they in Divisional one? I think they are they are, Yeah, I think they're very small. They played Arizona a few times years, would be like an early season game here, so that'll be you know, it's kind of curious, but we'll see that if that's what he wants to do, and maybe, like you said, it could be a stepping stone to something something else.
Speaker 2: I have no doubt, no doubt that he's gonna do well. He's a he's a tough coach. He's a tough coach. He and this is totally different because he did his high school coaching stint and might he won a number of titles.
Speaker 3: He's a tough dude.
Speaker 2: He's a demanding dude, and almost almost unlike today's coaches, he's probably a little tough on him.
Speaker 3: I would think. So he's kind of old school.
Speaker 5: And you know, his father was quite the coach and quite the player himself, so you know, I know they weren't close in his adult years, but still, you know, there has to be some some genetic connections there.
Speaker 3: Between him and he knows the game.
Speaker 2: And the one thing that made Bibby Bibbi was he was a smart i Q guy, right and any you fundamentally exactly, And that's that's what makes good coaches. I mean, Miles was the same way.
Speaker 5: But sometimes those guys don't make great coaches because they're expecting their players to.
Speaker 3: Well, to be like them. Yeah yeah, Michael Jordan like me, Yeah true, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: Two more enter transfer portal for Arizona women's basketball. Skyler Jones was a late corner to Arizona's highly ranked sophomore class. The the athletic guard was originally committed to Missouri, enjoyed the Wildcats after decommitting from the Tigers. Katrina Zevich was a late corner for the year's freshman class. But that's the case with many international players. Both will be entering the portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has work to do. Yeah, that was yesterday's Jada. That's four big So I don't know, you know, there's so many things happen, Yeah, yeah, so many things, so many variable variables to the story. I would think that the coaching question has to be answered maybe first before players are going to want to come here wondering who the coach is going to be, Right, can still be the same situation, right, well, you yeah, you can't make that move unless you really definitely know.
Speaker 5: And everybody's in a rush, and you know, players are going to be jumping in into their under their new teams, probably by this weekend. I would think it goes fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, lusus yeah, and then they change your mind, players.
Speaker 5: Get eliminated on Thursday or like on the men's side, you know, the lose teams that lose on Thursday and Friday, I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 3: They're on a new team by Monday, Yeah, somewhere else.
Speaker 2: And who knows what happens to the to the guy side, the men's side, because you know, well you saw the Borovich do fairly well in New Mexico.
Speaker 3: Yeah, help them.
Speaker 2: And then the kid I can't Marshal nis Is, who's the guy Makovis? Or he went to Saint Claire.
Speaker 3: I think he did. He did it well there, they didn't get into the tournament.
Speaker 5: Getting back to Bibbi, they say he's worth sixty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Now he's worth I don't.
Speaker 5: Think whatever his contract is just going to be a little extra added on to what he's worth.
Speaker 3: But I mean he made a lot of money as a pro. He was there fourteen year. Yeah, he made you know over one hundred million dollars player Oh that much? Yeah.
Speaker 5: So again this is I think you know, he's probably looking at this as just an opportunity to see do I like this?
Speaker 3: Do I want to do?
Speaker 2: Oh no, there's no doubt that he wants to do this. Yeah, he's ninety seven, right, he was going to be nineteen and twenty. He's gotta be about forty eight ish. Does it say his age about forty eight? Forty seven?
Speaker 5: Yeah, born in nineteen seventy eight, so forty seven. Yeah, just had his birthday. Yeah, no, no, he's going to have his birthday, his birthday.
Speaker 2: One of the connections is his birthday is a day after mine many years later. Yeah, me many yearsly yeah. Yeah, gosh, you know when.
Speaker 5: He's a legend in Sacramento too, So that's going to probably be a little bit helpful in terms of marketing the team, and people are gonna want to come out.
Speaker 3: And see him play.
Speaker 5: They bet you know, history there had his his best years was with the Kings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris Webber.
Speaker 4: Okay, unlv hires u of a alum, Josh Passner.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: We said that fight saw about nine hundred thousand dollars a year about Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean coaches are being poached out of ESPN these days like they.
Speaker 3: Used to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that's the whole thing. I don't know if it's for the good or bad day. But but people who watch that and they listen to these guys, they think, oh, they know what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: But does it translate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know who's the guy that with the GM at the at the Detroit Lions many years ago?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: Good, Dudet Mill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he made his mark in the TV booth and then the hired him. The one that it didn't work out. The guy that's we're doing it is the San Francisco Jim, the forty nine ers running back.
Speaker 3: I think give me a couple of more hints.
Speaker 2: San Francisco forty nine ers Jim. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: John Lynch was, Yeah, he was the dB. I think that's that's him. I think that's it. I think that's he was. He was on the air, Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: But you know what I'm saying, that's where they get expected. Josh is on the earth. He's That's why I joked with him before, says, why would you want to go coach? You don't have to deal with all that craft. You're good at what you do here. He said, no, no, I want to coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in their blood.
Speaker 5: But it's interesting because you know, you're right, these guys that get these positions where they leave the sport, leave the coaching profession for a good year or two.
Speaker 3: Sometimes happens all the time.
Speaker 5: They go on TV and they sit there and watch and they kind of, you know, whatever problems they may have had JJ Reddick, you know in their last job that kind of gets washed away.
Speaker 3: I'll give you no.
Speaker 2: Steve Kerr, you know, he's kind of an exception. He's more of a people person too. I think you have to be that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were talking about I was talking about him with some friends and family this weekend, just about you know, isn't.
Speaker 3: He going to go into politics? I mean, what's what does he want to do. I wouldn't I wouldn't doubt that, But why would he do that? Yeah, I mean yeah, who knows.
Speaker 5: But I mean I think he's he's positioned himself to go in many different directions with if he wants to stop, I think he's probably go to the end of the Steph Curry contract whenever that is soon, I would think in the next couple of years, and then maybe make a move at that point to whatever is next, either going back to you know, running a team or back to TNT.
Speaker 3: Well, no, we'll get.
Speaker 5: Back to somewhere on broadcasting. Who knows where the games are going to be on all over the place start. No, he doesn't need the money, but does he want to stay connected to the game that might be open.
Speaker 3: And he's fifty eight ish, I think Okay.
Speaker 4: The New York Giants and free aging quarterback Russell Wilson have reached agreement Tuesday on a one year deal worth a to twenty one million, including ten point five million guaranteed to be mediocre.
Speaker 3: To game million. This is the end of the NFL salary is hard.
Speaker 5: Every every one or every quarterback is now in that in that twenty million range.
Speaker 2: Every one home I mean baseball, basketball or whatever they do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's the salary cap just keeps rising because the TV money just keeps coming in. And that's the way it's going to be with basketball too. It's unbelievable numbers. What else anything else?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm not.
Speaker 4: They're not much today from breaking news, A little bit of a dry day and.
Speaker 2: You have anything go to an easy disserts form. I think the swim team left today to go to the n C Double as they're in Indianapolish anything with softball baseball for that.
Speaker 4: Jada Williams went to the transfer portal. Do we get Yeah, we've been talking about that. The Mike Bibie deal's fourteen years. No, no, no, no four years and the past Neers is a five year deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just under under five million. Not bad money. I mean.
Speaker 5: Wildcat baseball eighteen and five having a nice Did they sweep or did they.
Speaker 3: Lost home game? Yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Thirteen and no? Okay.
Speaker 5: So they are in action where I'm our home game against Seattle, you okay? And then they're home here for the weekend against Baylor. Always like those night games in the middle the week they're always kind of fun.
Speaker 3: To go too. So tomorrow and it won't be too it won't be too hot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's gonna cool down a smidge, I think over the weekend. So Baylor comes in, they have some big twelve games. Baylor used to be pretty good in baseball. I'm not quite sure how they're doing this year, but it's good to see the Cats with Chip and the boys playing pretty well. Okay, Brandon summer Hill their top players out for like three weeks though, right, so he's injured one of their top players.
Speaker 3: What happened to him? I just saw he was injured, Okay, Okay, what else? Anything else? You got? Nothing else? That's it for today's breaking news.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine. Maybe we'll get a call here. You can get a call five.
Speaker 3: Two four one hand injury by the way.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, just before we go to break here in about three four minutes, and then we get ahold of Ben Holland we'll have to get Todd hold house tomorrow or the day after, although I kind of want to spend most of the day on Thursday talking about the game.
Speaker 5: Are you available THURSD You're gonna You're gonna be uh, I'm gonna have a reviewing.
Speaker 3: You can do a show. Yeah, yeah, because it's a six three start, it should be fun fornight. Yeah, it's a long day. Bamma plays b Yu first, do they? Yeah? Isn't that the first game? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't pick work. I forgot. I have to want the first games too. Now I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't know. I don't know. All these TV's were going to get TV's. Maybe maybe we'll see we haven't yet.
Speaker 2: You want to go, let's go and come back and then we'll wait for Ben on the other side.
Speaker 3: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy.
Speaker 7: And excitement, from the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 5: Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Moady to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 4: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 10: Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: On twenty second this quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 7: Salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from.
Speaker 3: Don't forget your corporate apparel.
Speaker 7: For a rate sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 11: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrix syncredit rates and available loan programs or subjec to change with don't notice did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at his chart or expand your collection. Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best.
Speaker 3: In sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has at all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen rout, sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 13: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or Rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why mining so important.
Speaker 14: It's the foundation of the everything that defines the society.
Speaker 3: Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 14: Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals.
Speaker 6: Of a process.
Speaker 3: That's why i'mlining is so important DVM dot com.
Speaker 8: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one soft warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 7: You'll find it all.
Speaker 8: Here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the ipsis at OHS. This is on the ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve Rivera. You're Dave Silver.
Speaker 2: Kobe will be looking at the phone for Ben Helan any second now, hopefully as as he's in southern California. Uh, and to talk about just his his stretch run here at the in.
Speaker 3: The tournament back in the day. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, three straight final fours, the three two, three consecutive two thousand and six, seven and eight, and run her up in two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 5: God, I thought it was two who were like, maybe maybe my chat ept is wrong.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're probably right. Well that's that's probably right. Yeah, six seven and eight. Okay, Oh, we'll get her from Ben. We'll get the word from Ben.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw him here. We had him on the show where you A was here actually that night that day. Yeah, and he had just been here with to watch TCU play Arizona and uh.
Speaker 3: Because of Jamie Dixon.
Speaker 2: Jamie Dixon guys, m hm, remember they coached at the NAU together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jamie was assistant to him.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, I don't I don't want to we don't have to bore him with this story. But I was working one of my second TV job was in San Luis Obispo, California, and he was at you see, Santa Barbara. So we were like, we would cover their games.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 5: He was an assistant for like a coach named Jerry Pim Yeah, long time a c SB. Yes, so the PC double A teams. Yeah, I was well, New Mexico State was part of the right in San Diego State when I was in college, we were in the PC Double before we moved over into the whack of Arizona mid seventies.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, because I was in the mid eighties and that's but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hot Ben Holland was.
Speaker 5: You know, he was an assistant coach there for a long time before he got the head coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think I ever saw him personally, but we would cover their games and we'd show highlights, okay, some old time.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, so we'll bring that up. And I have some people here in town that wanted.
Speaker 5: To say, who had quite a run there in those three years.
Speaker 2: I went to those final fours, and I thought it was just two.
Speaker 3: I think it's three. Looks like here on Basketball Reference.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna question that. I questioned myself before I questioned that. Yeah, players, he also had what's his name? They had two guys. You had Westbrook, right, and they had the big guy reboundery. God, my memories killing me. I'll be like, Jay, you're right that guy, that guy.
Speaker 3: NBA career. We paid for him. I thought he played for Steve. I don't know exactly. Maybe there's some kind of overlap. Maybe that. Okay, we gotta call hello, coaches, this shoe, Hello coaches, is Steve.
Speaker 2: Is a spin Ben coach? How are you go? Were doing fine? We wanted to picked your brain about the DENC. Do you miss this time of year giving your success in it?
Speaker 6: Well? You know this is these are the best three weeks every year of my life. I love it. You know, it's just so fun to follow. And again another incredible tournament. I mean, Colorado State was so impressive. What a heart gut renter for that was. But you just loved to see, you know, teams this time of year playing their very best. And I remember the last time I was on with you, Steve, I believe you know, that was way back in late December early January, and I'll tell you what, Arizona sure had a great season and I have a chance now to beat the number one team in Duke. So I hope the fans there in Tucson and everywhere that follow the Wildcats are really happy and proud of their team and proud of the fact they got such a great coach and Tommy Lloyd because he's done a masterful job, and you know, watching and following them, that half court actually a three quarter court yeah shot game was incredible.
Speaker 5: I mean, what a year, right, yeah, I mean, and he's been very very consistent really the last I don't know what, four or five games. That's kind of what everyone's kind of been waiting for, is they don't want to have that game where he's gonna go four for seventeen or something like that. But he's been pretty good about that most of the season and not really having too big of a plump in the middle of a game sometimes. So it's great if he can just be consistent because they seem to have the right ingredients.
Speaker 6: He's known to be pretty good this time of year. He has a good track record, and you know that one little play that they kept running over and over again. In the last was really effective where he ended up top the keys or the wide open tree or opportunity to penetrate and drive. But he's played great. You know, your stars are stepping up this time of year, and he's definitely been their start of the last two years. But I'm just excited for the tournament.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 6: It's really interesting though, when you look at NIL and how much that's impacted the game. Now that everybody left, there's a power for conference, you know, with seven SEC, four Big twelve, four Big ten and only one from the ACC which hasn't happened in like the round of thirty two in like fifty years. Wow, you know, and you can tell who's got the most NIL. And it starts with the SEC quickly followed by the Big ten and the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: That's the deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about that, your coach, you know what, you talk about the nil and athletes and best best athletes. But you know what, I'm still a believer and the coaching matters. So coaching matters. I mean, you can have the talent of the wazoo and if you can't coach, you won't get there. Because I still believe guys like you. You got there three straight times, right, that didn't happen by accident. That didn't happen by accident one thousand percent.
Speaker 6: That's why Uh, I got a little uh talked from with you guys last time about well the fans aren't there and happy right now with Tommy. It's like, I, as a fellow coach, was just amazed because I don't think they know what they have in him, and I think he is really special and incredibly consistent and has been a part of winning for two decades. Uh. And I think you know, the coaches that remained, You know, the coaching profession is so rich with talent, but you know, the cream rise to the top, and you know what you have right now the tournament's left. It's it's really incredible how well coached they are. All that goes into the preparations reaching these games, and you know, the game changing decisions that are made, you know, based on how you're playing and personnel and foul trouble, et cetera. It's just really interesting to watch. I mean, I love this time of year. If you're at the absolute best.
Speaker 3: If you were to look into like.
Speaker 5: A crystal ball, do you think next year will see the sort of the same thing, the effect of nil and maybe this is the way college basketball is going to be here moving forward.
Speaker 6: I do I do believe that. I mean I believe that, you know, the teams were the best players that also pay to have the best coaches and coaching staffs and support their program. Of the teams, they're going to win and win the most consistently. So I'm not surprised at all, nor will I be in the future. I mean, I think you'll see, uh, you know, another league get represented. Whether you know Colorado State's right there. I think it comes down to the last you know, half a second of the game for them to lose that game against Maryland, and you talk about a great coach, Uh, you know that guy has proven to me how good he is. I mean, he is incredible. There's just so many good coaches and it's just fun to watch them.
Speaker 3: So if you've got to call X school.
Speaker 2: We think we talked about this before, Ben, If you got a call from X school that you wanted to go to, would you give up your grandkids from coaching them to go coach at school?
Speaker 6: No, I'm I'm happily a spectator now from Afar.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you see well now you see Kela Partie and you see Patino and these guys are still going on it.
Speaker 3: Did you get a kick out of them over the weekend too?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? I mean you look at the numbers that they put up over the years, et cetera. You know, and you know, John is I think about two years younger than he's probably about sixty six Rix in his seventies, I can't remember exactly. You know, that's great and I'm happy for them. And they have great jobs now, I mean especially you know cal you're talking about money. You know you have mister Walton, mister Tyson and mister Hunt. There's your boosters. You got a chance to care about the hogs down there in Arkansas. And what Tino did at Saint John tis the first time in thirty years to win the Big East. Yeah, you know, what he's done is miraculous and he is one of the greatest coaches ever, and that's great for them. I am really happy living in Santa Barbara, California. I count my blessings every day and I love ball and I loved coaching that it was, you know, my life. And when you're a coach in this day and age. More than any a time, it is twelve months a year. There is no time off. Every coach now in the country is trying to put together a new team because it's musical chairs. You know, I hate the more than anything. I hate the portal. I know the money's great. They should have a salary cap. You know, this year the cost of a player is going to go up another thirty to fifty percent from what it was last year. There has to be, you know, a limit because you know it's gonna really really didn't be the haves and have nots with many less halves than there are have nots.
Speaker 3: And what are your thoughts on here in Tucson.
Speaker 5: We've of course watched Sean Miller for a number of years and him now landing. You know, it looks like a great situation in Texas, speaking of money and speaking of opportunities, how do you think he'll do there after?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 3: Kind of.
Speaker 6: Great? I think you'll have a chance to win it all. I think they have brand new facilities. Uh, you know, it's a phenomenal job, unlimited resources. The only the only thing that I think is a little bit of a battle there is that they think basketball is what you have between football and springball. You know, it's not quite as important as as any as football football in the state of Texas. You know, it's ridiculous the fan support, but you know you're seeing a lot of schools now that get that it's really something that you can have both. You know, Alabama is a great example and the job that Nate oas is and you know they were their first Final four ever last year and there's a great chance so they can get there again this year. And that that's what you're seeing. You're going to see those leagues SEC being number one and Big ten being one B and then Big twelve being one C. You know, those are the teams where they have the most resources because they're fans and specifically their billionaire fans really care a lot about those universities and their programs success athletically.
Speaker 2: So we talked about Caleb earlier with love and not that he's the only guy on this team, because he has a good compliment of people. But do you back in the day you had Westbrook, you had love yourself another love. Did you have to write a guy one guy and then hope the other guys came around or did you have a complimentary group?
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, we had great culture. I mean and uh you talked about leadership. You know, we had Bob Moute on those teams who was phenomenal and you know, dirty work guy. We had guys that, uh, you know, set the tone like Alfred the Boy and Lorenzo Matta. But no question, you know love in Westbrook Collis and you know how good was Darren Collison. He's had a nine year pro who who could have actually spent more time in the NBA if he'd so chosen. I mean, we had a lot of really good players and that's what it takes. And I agree with you. I think Arizona's got excellent talent. And to overcome the fact that they're starting BIG's been out for the whole year, uh, and to be able to make up for him. I don't remember the kid's name, the big kid that got in the foul trouble in the last game. Man, he was a stud. And he and the kid from when they really compliment themselves. Uh, they have, you know, two different looks coming at you. With those two, Radley's been spectacular.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: I love the freshman for man from California and Carter brac Donald's yeah, and he's spent now. He'll probably be in the NBA next year. I mean, uh that that'll be a hard one too to see how it all on Pulls. I I'm not following that right now, but whether it's a year from now or this company, he'll be in the NBA. You know, there's a big guy you can sup floor shoot. He's special, He's got a special talent, and that just speaks to what a great job they're doing recruiting there.
Speaker 2: So let me let me say go to your old didn't know. We're not gonna talk about basketball. We're gona talk about olt time basketball.
Speaker 3: Dave. Tell me your connection to to coach.
Speaker 5: So so you don't we've never met. I'm kind of Steve sidekick every once in a while. And I was a broadcaster in Tucson, but I was also broadcaster in San Luis Obispo before I came here, so we were we were together for a few years when you were at UCSB and I was up there covering cal Poly same years. I mean like I was there eighty one to eighty three, so we were side by side and I know we used to show your highlights. I don't know if I every even came down to a game because the market it was like ninety miles between the two cities. But I just want to say, it's nice to talk to you now after you know, all these years forty years ago, when we were young, young starting out in the broadcast the world and coaching world.
Speaker 3: It was funny. It was a good time. Mine was brown. And then here's another thing.
Speaker 2: Coach the guys at Pima, Brian Peabody and and they wanted to say hello, you know, to say hello to you because I guess Mike Morgan and those guys because they did really well. I don't know if you know that. They went thirty three and oh I went to the fin went to the semi finals of the JC tournament and they lost in the semi finals and finished third.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, I knew that. And Brian, he's spectacular coach at tol Point, did an unbelievable job, and you know, just great, great people and outstanding coaches. But uh, it's it's fun to be watching his career and uh, I'm glad he to be able to stay in the area there because They're lucky to have him. Uh, you know, basketball is really special in the Tucson area. And you know, for me, it all started with Loot. I mean, Luke created a monster and a love for basketball with all success that you know started really with him consistently winning at an incredible rate there at u of A. And uh, you know, just being back there in the building in December when I came to see PCU and Jamie Dixon platers on a what unbelievable fans.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, there's no question that Michale's Center has some of the best fans in all of college basketball. And their support for their love for their team and how they travel. I mean it was like a home game the other night when they were playing. Yeah, they support there and love their cats, and it's just fun to have witnessed that. And they've played that environment with those UCLA teams that were really good and actually won a few of those games.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you real quickly. This might be a bizarre question because we talked about players. You know, the better players have better chances of winning a tournament. Did you ever scout the guys like lout the Montgomerys of the world were you know, it says, Okay, it's Loot's team, this is what we have to guard against, because I'm sure he had tendencies too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean everybody does, every coach does, every team, and you just named two Hall of Fame coaches. I mean the fact that that Mike Montgomery's not in the Nasmith Hall of Fame just apples me because he's is was so good and so consistent at Stanford, which you can see how hard a job it is. I mean, you know, post Montgomery hasn't been close to with Montgomery, uh, you know, he really knew what he was doing, and he and Lude had a special bond. Those guys were like the two deans of the league. When I joined, but was in the back pen, and it was fun to see, you know, how much they respected one another and competed so hard against one another. But you know, both Long Beach guys initially from back when they knew each other.
Speaker 3: Right, And.
Speaker 6: You know, Lut's teams were so good offensively and so spaced out, you know, the way they spaced the floor and ran with their you know, great fast break and no question Lout was as good recruiter as anybody in the country. You know, you think about all the unbelievable players, and he really also recruited character. You talk with the high character guys like a Chud Buschler or you know, Steve Kerr or Sean Elliott. I mean, the list goes on and on and on and on. You know, the kind of kids that were recruited over the decades.
Speaker 3: To U of A.
Speaker 6: You know, that's what made I think those fans so falling up, along with the fact that you used to have guys who stayed for three and four years right to get to know and be a part of them. And those guys all love U of A and going back to tuc Suns so much to this day. It's incredible, you know how much they love their experience. And I would say the vast majority of guys that went on to you know, make it big in the pros, which are many still look upon their years as Arizona the highlights of their career. Guys, they do. That's just how it is.
Speaker 3: Right, You're yeah, I mean I love it.
Speaker 6: I loved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's what's specially about college.
Speaker 2: You're something like college right right right now, it's so transitory Hey, Ben, thanks for the call.
Speaker 3: We appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Okay, good luck, good luck Wildcats.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you. I know that pain to say that.
Speaker 6: Hey, I want the West. We want the West to do well. Yeah, you're right, I want the West the way we need Arizona to beat Due. Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: Thanks Ben, take care, appreciate it. He's cheering for the cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the catline right there. Yeah right, I'll use it. I want to use it. Okay, Well, take a break here. Sorry, we took a little long. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the men who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach Listens from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot.
Speaker 3: Compy wilk at Nation.
Speaker 10: Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, Nation myide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four ah three five five one four four four four a H three five five one four four four.
Speaker 7: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 3: With the Edmund.
Speaker 2: Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Caampble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 13: Where do you.
Speaker 3: Buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 4: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 3: Of course, to.
Speaker 9: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. Arizona Health. Our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health. The lead manage an exercise requotment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: Craving, Tucson's best burger, the fourth Avenue Legend is back Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 8: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 9: We believe less is more.
Speaker 1: Let's pies need more money in your Pocketless hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means.
Speaker 4: More confidence in your financial future.
Speaker 1: Pyramids A Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum permid Federal Card at Union where.
Speaker 5: Less is More federally insured and by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to me on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver.
Speaker 3: Your Kobe. He was pretty fun. That was good.
Speaker 5: That was good talking nice things to say about the Wildcats and Luth. I mean they were rivals for a long time and yeah, you know, and they were on a side by side, great games.
Speaker 3: H him. How is Helen Montgomery and Lut? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean really for a stretch of what ten years or so, when when he was at UCLA and Montgomery was always at Stanford, it seemed like, and you know, Loot was just kind of holding down four here. But those were the three teams in the Pac ten everybody wanted to see or once in a while, you know, in Oregon would sneak in there, but Washington would sneak in.
Speaker 3: But it was always those three for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Have your is already tweeting out that Ben Ben is saying, uh, beet duke.
Speaker 3: You know, I was gonna just kind of ask him kind.
Speaker 5: Of who does he Is he rooting for teams or is he rooting for his coaching buddies?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna ask Yeah you should asked it, because I was asking who he thought was gonna win.
Speaker 3: But we ran out of time. Yeah, I mean, he's you.
Speaker 5: Know, he's got all these coaches he's coached, you know, against and they're all a fraternity. They all kind of know each other. They recruit together and they stay close. I mean you could tell he and Lout were close in terms of just really you know, having you know, being friends and rivals as well, but you know, friendly on the recruiting trail they're doing, they're all doing trying to do the same thing. Yeah, you wonder how he is now where he's off to the side, he's looking at Oh, yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Was my you know, he was an assistant, right those coaching trees, Yeah, Lout had some. It's no longer. They're no longer out there. Well play now, but not coaches. Yeah, Oh it's a Rosboro. Rosboro's you know, doing really well. He's still coaching with the women. I think he's got some pretty good influence with them too. Yeah, I would think, yeah, yeah, anybody want to call, We have about ten fifteen minutes. It's about ten minutes, right, five to zero, four one, six, seventy four forty. If you try to get in yesterday, here's your chance. I think John was trying to get in and even team money into the show.
Speaker 3: Here's your chance.
Speaker 2: Maybe talk about the Cats real quick, see what you're hoping for this weekend or this week.
Speaker 5: Funny article on Yahoo's Sports about different types of final fours that we could possibly be seeing, and things like the brainiac final four.
Speaker 3: Would Duke would be Michigan.
Speaker 5: Florida Duke and Purdue, the party school final four. We're not in it, Arizona's not in it. It's Alabama, Old Miss, Florida and Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Who's the author is there? Always look at the author just to see if.
Speaker 3: Jeff Eisenberg no for Yahoo? Yeah, are you there anywhere? I don't think Arizona's in any of them.
Speaker 5: Don't chaos final four would be Old Miss, Arkansas, b YU and Purdue.
Speaker 3: Four teams that nobody would would be predicting.
Speaker 5: You have your bracket. You my bracket. My bracket is not terrible. I've got some of the teams surviving, but I'll be done probably.
Speaker 2: Everybody unless you hit those early upsets because everybody has the same teams.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's chucky exactly. So I was talking to you earlier about it.
Speaker 6: I have b Y.
Speaker 3: You kind of advancing a little bit, you know, maybe maybe.
Speaker 5: Get to Alabama.
Speaker 2: That's give me a heck of a game because it's a bunch of old dudes, because that's by is crafty and they're very good. But Bama's Bama loves to run Nato. It's is just like your neighbor, you know. It comes out and does the laundry. He puts put your shorts on the laundry man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he doesn't sit down, some of those coaches. It just never sits down.
Speaker 3: And he's a good old boy. No, he's just a good old boy. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Final four guaranteed to capture the NBA audience would be Michigan State, Maryland, Duke Houston because they're got a bunch of lottery picks on all those teams.
Speaker 2: Maryland survived. My son teaches and teaches he works at Maryland sent me in a cool Maryland top. So I've been worrying that a little.
Speaker 3: The wins spring practice.
Speaker 5: Final four, Michigan, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee, all those football schools, but they're in the final four or in the Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's very rare to have a football good football school and a basketball school. And maybe I just say that because it doesn't happen here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I mean, you know, Michigan of course, has had the history of yeah winning over the years. But Florida, yeah, you know, they won the two championships, but that you don't really hear much about them.
Speaker 3: But here they're still Yeah, we got a call. Okay, cool, you're in the air nine of the ball. Who's this, Jared? What's up?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 3: I was thinking the I think that they're going to have a better chance having.
Speaker 16: Lost to them already and then being an underdog.
Speaker 3: Tot agree with you, totally agree.
Speaker 2: In fact, in fact, I think that's a great point because Arizona I always and I talked to this with with Tommy today, that Arizona always shows up as an underdog and if you've already beaten them once, they'll be pissed off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So I think I think they're gonna nip them by three or four.
Speaker 2: I think, well, so if you're a gambling man, you take the points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, who's this again? Who's this?
Speaker 6: Jerry?
Speaker 3: Jerry? Thanks?
Speaker 6: God?
Speaker 3: You have you just your first time?
Speaker 6: Colin?
Speaker 3: Have you called before?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 3: Maybe the second time? Maybe? Okay? Cool?
Speaker 2: Wel Jerry, thanks for calling. I hope you enjoyed the show, all right, Ben, Yeah, thank you appreciate it. Take some more calls if you can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'd be curious to go back and see how how the UFA has done, you know, with second chances against some of these I wish teams you should do that story. No, no, I'm gonna do that story, but kind of in a non history.
Speaker 2: I want to do this, but you're can make me do some homework, maybe how Beer could do it for me. But but in covering them for all that time that I've covered them, it was very difficult. It's sweep Arizona in a year. I can't remember how many teams have did it or I've done it. I know when Luke's time, it was very difficult. Shawnstein probably the same because even if you go back to shann in your memory, he didn't get blown out very much. No, so you know he was always close within you know, seven or eight. Tommy's thing is he's got these gets, these double digit lead you just don't know if he's gonna hold it. That's kind of been his inmos.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, again, like Luke, how many seventeen and one seasons they weren't losing, you know, to the past ten teams. No, but there's always that occasional non conference game they're playing in you know, Hawaii or someplace or Vegas, and then they wind up facing them again in the tournaments. So those are it's always kind of cool to see if that happens and vice versa.
Speaker 2: I mean, they had it's always tough to be the team twice and Arizona've been up the guy be here.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even close.
Speaker 5: No, no, yeah, that's why I'm a little bit skeptical. You know, there's still a ten point underdog basically, and yeah, you know it's going to be a I don't know, I don't know with the court it's going to be it's a neutral site, but certainly you think there'd be more Duke fans.
Speaker 2: Well, remember because I had Brian on yesterday, Brian Peterson, and he's the numbers guy. Right, Duke came in and I think it was about the same amount of points last time in twenty eleven that they were favored over Arizona, and Arizona did away with that one going away.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right?
Speaker 5: So can Derek Williams come back and play like one more? One more games?
Speaker 3: You would need?
Speaker 2: Okay, who would be your who would be the Derek Williams not named Caleb here, Well, Caleb is dear Derek Williams in the start, I mean, who has to go again?
Speaker 5: You need him to get his twenty and you know a few other guys to get in the fifteen range, and they could be in position.
Speaker 2: I still think that maybe it could be kJ. kJ has that in him. Just remember at the beginning of the year he was one of the top NBA prospects on this team. He just didn't live up to it. But the last few weeks he's kind of moving that way.
Speaker 4: We got a call now, just breaking news stuff on Diggs just signed with the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you had talked about that Dave off the year. I think, yeah, I thought he might go to the Cowboys with his brother.
Speaker 5: And of course the is there any quarterbacks left besides Aaron Rodgers. I mean, there's Marcell We talked about Russell Wilson going to the Giants. Yeah, I don't want him anywhere, to hear me, But I mean the Vikings maybe is that the last.
Speaker 16: Well, the Steelers need a quarterback now. I guess he visited there last week, right, Yeah? Cardinals, Cardinals Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I didn't want them. I'm not even a Cowboy fan anymore. I don't want him there. Now.
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody calls, we'll be ready for you. You got about four minutes to talk about it. Yeah, it was funny because I've been pulling for Arizona the West. I mean, UCLA has been the last pretty much West team. Gonzaga went to the Final four two thousand and seven, teen eighteen, when Arizona should have been there with your with your Treer team, with the you know, DeAndre Ayton team Raally. Yeah, yeah, the Buffalo, the Buffalo disaster. God, I still can't believe that one. That was a hard one to watch. Yeah, they didn't want to be there. They didn't want to be there, so we'll see.
Speaker 5: Well using that quote again, that was the Idea Barnes quote kind of oh yeah, the men after they're they're loss in that, no question. Oh they didn't really want to play well.
Speaker 2: Jane and I got into our little conversation here and he said, yeah, they're going to go to the postseason. Wn I t whatever is. I said, I don't think they're going to accept it. I don't think they would accept it. And I was totally wrong with that. But for the reasons I thought they would accept it. That season was over. It was already kind of a haphazard, crazy finish. Oh would you want to prolong it? And as it turned out, they didn't want to prolong it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean just the fact that they publicly said that I was a little bit strange.
Speaker 3: What did you the coach to come out and say that one? Did you literally want to play? Did you listen to the press commerce Oh? No, I saw the quotes. You got the quotes. Okay, if you listen to the press corp.
Speaker 2: They're very telling with one of the players, she's finishing her school year.
Speaker 3: Oh what do you miss?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll miss some of my players, my coaches, but I'm being honest, some of my players, some of my teammates.
Speaker 3: That tells you a lot, you know, of dysfunction.
Speaker 5: I think this year, without question, you know, for it to come to a crashing and the way it seems to be working and not.
Speaker 3: To get a shot off, It was like do I have to shoot this? I want to do this? End is I don't know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Young athletes, old athletes getting getting getting moody at the they shouldn't be doing this at the ages of twenty.
Speaker 2: They should be excited to well to the points of the fans. I mean, they've spent money on this. They go to get excited and they back you and then this. Yeah, I shaved my legs for this. Any calls, We're good, Okay, We're just too exciting for people to call.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we had a few calls. Ahually we only got about two minutes anyway, right, got about two minutes before the end tomorrow.
Speaker 3: You're not in tomorrow? Right? But are you in Thursday? And I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it Thursday? But okay, didn't you tease me with that day? I don't know. I may have to renegotiate my contract.
Speaker 2: No, I have no NA, you'll be you'll be working for DK next time. No, No, I think we're gonna uh I get I have a don't I have uh blake tomorrow? Probably Jay on Friday Thursday. I'm still trying to forget what we do because that's the day of the game. Yeah, you're gonna call him sick because you want to watch your games, right.
Speaker 3: Which a smart move. It's after the show you you can talk about it. I might, I might, I might. Yeah, you can't come in.
Speaker 2: I gotta gotta watch your games because they're all they're all.
Speaker 3: They're not all day, but they're no, they're just after evening yeah, early afternoon. Yeah, okay, all right? Are we good there?
Speaker 4: Yeah we're good to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, Thanks everybody those who called, Thanks Ben, Helen, Sorry Todd. We'll get ahold of you at another time and talk more