Speaker 1: Kdw E Houston, k t V HD two Houston, an iHeart radio station.
Speaker 2: As a Rocket.
Speaker 1: This is Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home team Salisbury Olbury, Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Sean Salisbury to usc trues, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Ryan Lima, Go Lobos. This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 3: Rockets Spurs tonight at the Toyota Center. Seven pm is the tip off. Six o'clock is when the launch pad. We'll start right here on seven out of your home for Rockets basketball. NFL trade line trade deadline has come and gone. Texans don't make any moves by acquiring anybody. They traded uh Khalil Davis over the defensive tackle Khalil Davis over to the San Francisco forty nine ers, but no additions to the offensive line or wide receiving room. They take on the Lions this coming Sunday. First college football playoff poll was released yesterday. Got some interesting teams that are on that top twenty five. Army coming in at eight to er, but just at number twenty five. Obviously Oregon the number one team in the nation. Let's talk Astros baseball Dana Brown spoke to the media yesterday Tripley. I know you've got a lot of things going on over there with you know, your duties during the day, but can we get the one where he talks. He talks about the good conversations he's had with Scott Boris. Scott Boris obviously the agent of alexburg This is Dana Brown, good going.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we've had a lot of a lot of discussions with Scott book, multiple conversations, so we hope that they've been and we're hoping, you know, we're hoping that some good things happening.
Speaker 2: You feel different. I think we really returned.
Speaker 3: I think we have a really good chance, meaning bringing Alex Bregman back. They've had some conversation with a lot of conversations with Scott Boris. You know, I you asked me the question, Sean, when we talk about fifty one nine percent if Alex Bregman comes back. I think one thing that is interesting about this whole process over the last couple of months is we haven't heard a damn thing.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard anything.
Speaker 3: No no no insider, no beat writer, nobody has said anything about how many years he wants the money he wants. Nothing has come out a little different. When George Springer became a free agent, we heard rumors, we heard different amounts of money. When Corls Karele, we heard three hundred million right off the bat, right, Garrett Cole, when he was getting ready to leave the Astros, we knew he was going to sign a massive contract, and we knew that he wanted to go to the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Alex Bregnan, we haven't a thing.
Speaker 1: So the question begs the It begs the question of is it wise not to put out there what you want because he put out there and it's not a high number and the team doesn't match it. Aren't you as a fan base? You're thinking, why'd you let him go? If it's too low or if he if he puts it out there and he wants too much? Like, okay, what did when when Correa left? What did most of the fan base say that's way too much? I mean when he wanted thirty million for ten years, we knew what he wanted. He didn't get it. So in the end, it looked in the way pain you played, it looked as if the Astros won that gig. Right, So is it a wise negotiating move. I'm big on not a not negotiating in the media, right. I think it's a wise move and I think he's crafting the right way because then you don't and I'm not saying he's worried about pissing people off, but this is still his home base, this is his team. If he leaves, then you leave it for out there. Well, regardless, somebody's going to report how much was offered at some point, right at something.
Speaker 2: But at least at least you're not.
Speaker 1: It's almost when you do that, you put yourself in because most of the fans can't most of us can't understand that kind of money, right, And when you do that, the dude who's making seventy five grand a year or fifty grand a year or forty grand a year and feeding families and has to go to work every day can't quite understand how you can turn down twenty five million a year.
Speaker 2: So you just kind of let them think about it, right.
Speaker 1: And I think it's a I don't know if brilliant is the right word, but smart way to go about it. And in truth, I do believe that they're in play. This is I mean, Alex Bregman feels like this is this is his place, man. You know what I'm saying, this is his place to be. So with that in with that in play, I don't know about hometown discounts. And if there is one, what hometown discount to me? For Alex Bregman is taking taking you know what, a million dollars less than somebody else offers you a year, and that's but that's fair. But when it gets to three or four million extra year, if it got to that for five or six years, you can't expect him to take a hometown discount.
Speaker 2: Regardless, if we sit back and say, how can you turn all that money?
Speaker 1: What's what's one hundred and eighty versu one hundred and sixty five million? And to that's a lot of money to anybody. It's a lot of how much money you make. So I think it's a wise move. So I asked you the question and seven one, three, two and two five seven ninety, I asked you the question about fifty one the over under said, at fifty one the percentage of chances that he's coming back here, and you took the over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took the over sixty one over.
Speaker 3: I feel like a couple of months ago. Excuse me, Yeah, what changed? A couple of months ago? I thought there was no way in hell he was coming back. I thought for sure that he would depart from here and go towards Boston Corbzona Cubs.
Speaker 2: San Francisco Giants type of thing.
Speaker 1: They got money out, Yeah, play play it that way right where you can least listen to.
Speaker 2: The big boppers. Yeah, I would, I would think. So it's one of those teams.
Speaker 3: And then I think my mindset has shifted over the last couple of weeks just because one and for whatever reason, I think the fact that we haven't heard anything, we haven't heard how much money he wants, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: So I think that.
Speaker 3: I think that the Chapman contract also comes into play. I think he's getting what twenty five and a half million dollars for Chapman.
Speaker 2: Good base.
Speaker 3: The reason why, the sole reason why Ox Bregman hasn't won multiple goal gloves is because of Matt Chapman. That dude has won multiple gold gloves when him and Alex Bregman are in the running every single season.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So I think that helps with keeping the cost down. I also think and that's for the astros sake and then equalizer those Scott Boris, you know that. Yeah, But also I think Scott Boris, he's a Josel tuove is a.
Speaker 1: Scott Boris guy. And remember it's the player's decision, not the agent. The agent is supposed to advise and you make the decision. But Scott had a rougher off season last season than so maybe this is a.
Speaker 3: Makeup call, is exactly, So that goes hold all your guys out, so that goes into play for me as well. You look at the deals that Scott Boris made last year. Every single guy had an opt out after one year, and a lot of his guys didn't get signed until spring training. Joran Montgomery fired Scott Boris. Think about that. He fired Scott Boris. So with that being said, in my mind, Scott Boris has to go to the table with Dana Brown and with the Astros.
Speaker 2: With legitimate hopes and staying exactly.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you though, and I also think you know, we we can say that, you know, Jim Crane, it's not going to be the be all end all if jose Al Tuve is continuing to endorse pregnant, but I think that plays a big part in it. Not a big part, I'm sorry it it plays a significant role in my opinion.
Speaker 1: But that can't be the final single player. Can't be the final decision. No, if you're the Astros or Alex Bragman, but they just can't.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 3: We don't hear very much from Josel two vains.
Speaker 2: He's been so adamant.
Speaker 1: Well he's he's watched a couple of his dogs, Yeah to leave and it's like again, you know, I'm sure that that's part of it. And of course a guy who is on the team and does his thing and speaks. He doesn't speak often but a loud but when he does, I'm sure that Jim Crane listened.
Speaker 2: But it's not surprising that he wants Bregman here.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't With that, I'll say this, if Alex Bregman would have had a MVP offensive season, had a gold gloves, he would not be here gone. I hate to say this, but the blessing of him having an average season offensive production where you know, a lot more pop ups than we're used to seeing, you know, the power was it isn't you know what's he a twenty two to twenty five home run guy. I think he's got more than that. I mean that's short left field. I mean he can pound that if he goes. But you know, hitting two ninety five and driving in one hundred run being an MVP offensive candidate, if he'd have been that guy this year.
Speaker 2: Priced out. Yeah, the only.
Speaker 1: Advantage of him having what we would consider and I'm sure for him as hard as he works, that he didn't get because he didn't walk as much this year. All those things that didn't make Alex Bregman who you want to keep and been a staple for this team at third base is he does everything fairly well some phenomenon, but he didn't have the normal offensive production he'd expect from him.
Speaker 2: Well during the season. It sucked at.
Speaker 1: Times for like the slow start and the rest of it. At the end of the season. If this scene you didn't win a World Series, all that the blessing is that may be the very very reason you get to keep him because had he have played like an MVP offensively, Alex Dana Brown couldn't sit in that chair rightfully with their with the way they go about payroll and contracts and say because then he'd getting thirty one to thirty two million dollars a year and be in that Devers, that group of guys Manny Machado, and you'd say, have at it, man, And he may still who knows. It only takes one to love you outside of the one who's got you. But the season that he didn't have, that we that you wanted. If he'd had the same season Korea had in his free agency Alex Bregman, the chances of signing him would You wouldn't have taken the over, You'd have taken the under by thirty percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd have said eighty twenty against right seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Let us know, uh, fifty one percent or forty nine percent which way you're leaning uh when it comes to the Astros potentially bringing Alex Bregman back. Call in, let us know your your thoughts on that. You lean in fifty one, you lean in forty nine seven one three two point two five seven ninety. We want to hear you, uh, and your thoughts on the free agency with Alex Bregman. That's going to be next right here on Sports Talk sevninety