Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside Number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: Hey, Slay Queens.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: I am fabulous starling. How are you? River has entered the chat, So yeah, that's how of recording. I put a poll on our Instagram yesterday to see if listeners agree with you that I'm Camp. And I was let's just say, I was expecting maybe somewhat of a split vote, right, but no, unanimous, hundred percent agreed with you. So I'm forced to reevaluate my personality. It's fine, it's fine. I feel awful. No, no, no, you should. It's fine. It's funny though, because what does camp mean? Like? And I always thought camp was like flamboyant and like I did you know joking at the start there, and that's not me.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I like to think I'm softly spoken. But anyway, regardless of campness.
Speaker 2: How are you, I'm good, good? How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right? I had a very long meeting at work today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounded painful, five.
Speaker 1: Hours and it was one of those where they forced you to have your camera on. Oh no, And I was saying to my colleague, like, the trouble with that is you've got to remember to control your facial expressions when someone says something ridiculous and I'm just there like making a face like what the fuck are you talking about? And then I'm like, oh god, I'm on screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if you can get away with not having your camera on. But it's yeah, We've got a manager that will always make his stock joke of are you in witness protection if you don't have a camera on, And it's like, oh, it's not funny, it's not funny. Okay, let's get the cameras back on. Yeah, the joys of office life.
Speaker 1: Oh well, anything exciting going on in your life? No? No, this week fair enough.
Speaker 2: Got warm, which is nice. You're all welcome for the warm weather. I tried to sow grass seed at the weekend, so it won't rain again for about six weeks. Okay, you're all welcome for the nice weather.
Speaker 1: Should we reveal our hair from last week?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What was it last week? Oh? It was Nana's party. Love a nice shout out for Dorothy Perkins. She doesn't get much love blessing. They're not even that old, are they, Like, I'm sure that's where my nana's party dress came from. Like, it's all old lady clothes. Yeah, I made up the fact about my grandma. I'm sorry, Grandma. I think her dress was from Bombash.
Speaker 1: The other old lady shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So see whether you can hear this week's slipped in somewhere mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Just in case anyone's not sure what we're talking about, we like to hide an episode title in our discussion every week for you to spot. We call it our hair or hidden allusion to a random episode.
Speaker 2: We do need to keep refreshing people every now and then, or we're going to get us some new listeners and they're gonna have no idea what the hell we're on about.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I don't know if people would would people just jump in and listen to the most recent one. Maybe maybe I don't know if I started new podcast, they're trying to start from the beginning. But yeah, well it's.
Speaker 2: An anthology, so I guess you could jump him whenever you want exactly.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, hurry up and wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, we're on episode four of series six, The Oh. It's a short one today. The synopsis. Actor James is waiting for his big moment on ITV's new crime drama in a static caravan owned by a strange family that clearly have something to hide.
Speaker 1: General views, this is one that I remember.
Speaker 2: Thinking was a bit meh, and then watched it and quite enjoyed it today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's good. It's enjoyable. It's got a lot of humor. Yeah, interesting stuff in it. It's not my favorite, it's not not there with the best, but it's it's perfectly serviceable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They do a good job. Yeah, it's interesting, it's funny. Yeah, it's not a wildly memorable one.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: The whole concept of this episode is that we're in a caravan, we're at an ITV shoot, and they like to sort of co opt people's houses or in this case, the caravan has green rooms nearby if they can't get somewhere to keep people, all the actors and things on set between yeah, between scenes. So they've hired, they've paid off this family to use their lovely caravan, and hilarity ensues.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, hilarity and awkwardness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so much awkward.
Speaker 1: Yes. I know my partner Ben would hate this episode because he hates secondhand embarrassment.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: He finds it really cringey to deal with. So yeah, there's a lot of that, and.
Speaker 2: There's there really really is. I would so struggle with this, And I've been in that situation. They're hanging around while people are just doing stuff around you and you just want them to sod off. Oh yeah, but you can't say anything.
Speaker 1: You've got to be polite and friendly. And James, the character of Reese plays he's so nice and friendly and polite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which has a nice guy for this week for a change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, it is a really awkward situation to be in, and they have paid off this family, like, and they've asked them to kind of, you know, give them space.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: So I suppose they're within their rights to say, can you buger off? Please, but you just don't feel you can.
Speaker 2: How do you say that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So apparently this episode was inspired partly by a lot of their own real experiences while filming things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: Particularly apparently there was an episode of League of Gentlemen they were filming where they went into someone's house and there was a lady sitting there in a dressing gown and she said, it's my birthday. I'm having a glass of champagne. And they decided to put that in the episode because it suck with them for all these years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so weird, like why would you surely, if you've made a bit of money you just go out for.
Speaker 1: The day, Well you think, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: At least stay in your room, Like, I know, it must be tempting if there's someone actually, you know those downstairs.
Speaker 1: So they were talking about this in the official podcast Isn't His Day? And Steve described them as little Woodland creatures that just can't help but come and have a little peak.
Speaker 2: And I mean it'd be one thing if you've got Brad Pitt in your living room, but if you've just got extra James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but people do get fascinated by the whole acting industry and everything, don't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's something you never get to see. Yeah, most jobs are kind of relatable in a way, but acting is so different. I can understand why people are fascinated by it. We don't know how much they've got paid, like it might be nothing fifty p Yeah, yeah, you have to keep the heating on for the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I feel we should mention Joe the Runner. Obviously, you know that's a limited cast as usual within side number nine. But this, this character Joe, she stands in for the production as a whole, I think, and yeah, rude, politely, Yeah, I mean I get it. It's a very busy environment. James is a very small cog in a big machine. She's got a lot of pressure, but she is very dismissive. And then when Adrian comes in later and you see the difference with how she treats him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, no, yeah, she'll do anything for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's disgusting really but yeah, and this, oh god, I can't bear this whole thing. If she's got the earpiece and you can't tell if she's talking to you or not. Yeah, that's so frustrating.
Speaker 2: It really it's so rude. It's Yeah, I don't like her at all. No, I can, like you said, I can understand that she's under pressure, et cetera, et cetera. But man has cost nothing. M you don't have to be a dick.
Speaker 1: No, you're choosing to be. And poor James like he's he's so desperate to have a word with costume, and every time he asks, he just gets ignored.
Speaker 2: What he's up with his costume like it never actually becomes it's never actually explained what. No, just this running joke if he wants.
Speaker 1: To speak to about his watch. I saw someone online was suggesting that maybe his watch didn't have a battery and it or something really tiny like that. And because he's such a he's so thorough like he thinks that's important.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've got Joe's draw into the caravan. He's sitting there trying to learn his lines. Bless him, and then him comes Bev.
Speaker 1: Mmm. She's an interesting characters, just fascinating.
Speaker 2: I'd hate to have been the casting team this episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: How you cast Bev? Yeah and not offend her massive exactly. Yeah, there's so many jokes at her expense.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I often think this when I watch a film or something. You can just imagine someone being called by their agent being like, we've got this role for you. It'd be great. You're awful, you're disgusting, you're blah blahlahlah. Yeah, we think you'll be great for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Emelda s Thornton tells a story about when she got wrung up about Umbridge and she said, oh, you know, this short, ugly toad like woman, apparently you'd be perfect for it.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, And there's some characters where you can do it, like with costume and still.
Speaker 1: Exactly you know. You look, you look up Donna Preston, who played Bev, and she's she's a very beautiful lady, but she's able to like dumb herself down for this role. Yeah, I know what you mean, though it is a bit awkward, like how do you And also with the you know, the twist that's not a twist of her potentially being a boy. Yeah, that's another angle on.
Speaker 2: That you have a actor that you almost can believe could possibly maybe exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen her in anything else. I wasn't aware of what she looks like, but yes, she looks very normal, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah she does. Yeah. Yeah. And apparently Donna Preston is a massive Inside Number nine fan.
Speaker 2: Oh nice.
Speaker 1: So she was so excited when she got the role.
Speaker 2: Well you're going to be playing yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Apparently Steve wrang her up to sort of say, oh, you know, we're going to be working together, and he was like, you know, this is Steve Pemberton from Inside Number nine and apparently she went fuck off? Is it.
Speaker 2: Okay? So she's not far off there. Yeah, she's closer than you maybe wanted to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean we haven't got to that section yet, but I just had to call out probably my favorite line of the whole episode.
Speaker 2: Mmm, I've got a few which one of you going with?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it has to be I haven't got mental health. I'm just shy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's on my list.
Speaker 1: I've had it in my head all day to day. It is one of my bugbears. When people say mental health when they mean mental health issues or something like that. Yeah, like everyone has mental health. It's like saying I haven't got health. Yeah you have, you have some level of health, like yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if anything, having mental health meeting.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing. It's a good thing I have my mentally health healthy. Yeah, yes, anyway, semantics, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's the tash cream that's just there for the whole.
Speaker 1: Time, so unflattering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in a perfect mustache shape. Yeah, it's not just smeared on across the top lip. It's like in a perfect little mustache.
Speaker 1: Because again, if, like you said, if you've got you know, you've got actors coming to use your space, you kind of would think you'd be a bit more presentable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe, I mean at least put clothes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not just sitting there and dressing gown. Yeah. But then I don't know. On the other hand, it's like, you know, why should you change your routine just because of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I guess, but it's it's the same way that if you had the builders around or whatever, you wouldn't just be there in your pants, like you'd actually put clothes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sorry, that just conjured up an image I thought. I just think the contrast between James and his sort of you know, he's so earnest and so sort of nerdy about you know, like the Jeff Pope when he goes on about stuff he's written and stuff he's seen Adrian dunbar In and stuff like that. He's so sort of these people are just you know, they're not on the same wavelength and that sort of thing, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Awkward from very different worlds.
Speaker 1: But he's so nice as well, because he tries to make a conversation with bit of about that and she's just like that Disney and he doesn't just say, oh, well, that's the end of that conversation. He then tries to sort of ask her, you know, what's your favorite one? Like he's sweet Dumbo one one. I didn't know there was a Dumbo two.
Speaker 2: You know there was there know there's been a domb two that went straight to v h.
Speaker 1: Straight to video. Yeah, but that's that's just such a great turn of phrase, like because you you don't call it, you don't call it Dumbo one. You just call it Dumbo, wouldn't you? As a as a strange dressing gown wearing girl, he's obsessed with Disney, you can understand it.
Speaker 2: She ran me with the character in Come Fly with Me. I know it's not an acceptable program problem. Yeah, but the Disney loving woman that's going on holiday to see to Disneyland. Oh yeah, she's so excited and everything she talks about is Disney. And then someone asked her why she likes Disney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's I'm a bit yeah yeah, no shame if you're a Disney fan, no, no, no, we love Disney.
Speaker 2: It's when you only enjoyed Disney and the exclusion of literally all other culture that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Bless her. Yeah, I also think she's so sweet when you know, when he talks about, you know, being an actor and being able to be different people, and she's just like, I wouldn't want to be anyone different and happy being me.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's pretty sweet. Yeah, good for her her next character, Yes of the Wonder for Pauline McGlynn. Oh, she's great.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's frustrating as all hell, but she's great.
Speaker 1: Irish accents are always funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kind of are.
Speaker 1: I don't mean that in a rude way to be Irish. I just mean like, I often think, you know, something just sound funnier in a strong accent than they would in a bland sort of like my kind of accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kind of, like, I don't know, there's just something about it.
Speaker 1: Gives a musicality to it. Yeah. Yeah, but yeah, she's very good. Are you a father ted fan?
Speaker 2: I was back in the day, Yeah, years ago. I very much enjoyed that they made her makeup to tea. Yes, you're so typecast, you can't not make a cup of tea. Yeah, there's just so much staring at this point in the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is a bit like an animal in a zoo that they're just looking at.
Speaker 2: There's one thing to be you know, she's doing, say she was doing the washing up or whatever, but they're literally just staring at him learning his lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: Like my dad will do this, Like if I'm up there and I'll be like, I don't know, cutting up veg for tea or whatever, and he'll just sit at the table and watch, and it's weirdly off putting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I can imagine.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: And she's she's got that brilliant little thing about you know, nothing worse than someone busying themselves around you while you're trying to concentrate.
Speaker 2: Is that you just want peace and quiet.
Speaker 1: She's like, say, she's aware, but she's not aware enough to realize that she's doing it.
Speaker 2: Exact same thing. Yeah, another great quote of have you got a big parach Oh? I love that, shut up your doty bitchy.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is a good joke though, it's a classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, oh it's simple but it works.
Speaker 1: But no, as it turns out, it doesn't have a big part. No, and it's going to be getting smaller.
Speaker 2: What's face Joe comes back at this point. I think the great line of just to their faces? Are these people bothering you?
Speaker 1: I know that she's so rude, Yeah, so rude, real disrespect right there. Yes, we should maybe explain as well that the drama that they're making is based on Earth. Yes, what you know within the universe of the episode is a real historical well from what twenty years ago or.
Speaker 2: Something, Yeah, about twenty years yeah.
Speaker 1: Case of a baby being abducted.
Speaker 2: Indeed, dramatization for ITV kind of.
Speaker 1: Thing, yes, which I think there's some interesting stuff there around, you know, because Pauline's carric to just say, I think they should leave it be. You know, it's real life for some people. Yeah, and there's there's definitely some truth in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I know, twenty years is quite a long time, but it's not if it's something like a baby being stolen, like that's a serious thing. It's not like, you know, someone I don't know smashed in a car window or whatever, like it's it's yeah, yeah, top of emotional cry.
Speaker 1: Family are very very much still around the people who knew them and this and that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a bank heist or something is you know, it's not emotionally devastating exactly. Yes, Yes, it's a funny thing that, like the dramatization of a story that doesn't have a resolution. I can see a meme about this, like me being annoyed when the dramatization of an unsolved murder doesn't have a soult at the end. What did I expect?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be honest and say that when I first watched this episode and they were talking about Jeff Pope, I assumed he was someone they'd made up.
Speaker 2: No, he's really, Yes he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've discovered hears and he's apparently he's of factual Drama It TV. So he does a lot of these kind of dramatizations.
Speaker 2: Do you have transformation to do that, to.
Speaker 1: Use someone's name like that? Yeah, Well, Reese on the podcast said that he hoped he didn't mind. They didn't ask.
Speaker 2: Yes, those songs, you don't say anything negative. Yeah, they only praise him, don't they exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they were saying, oh God, so it's going to be a bit shit, yeah, then that would be different. But yeah, also, Jeff Bishop is the writer.
Speaker 2: I would have liked that to have been a long more ongoing joke of different like like church position names. Every time they mentioned it was a different one.
Speaker 1: Jeff Cardinal, Yeah, get away with all thoughts. So we have the awkward scene of James going to.
Speaker 2: The loom just to get away from them.
Speaker 1: And oh my god, I get such ooh at this bit when he's in there and then you hear Stan come home. Yeah, he's kind of terrifying.
Speaker 2: He's he's Yeah, he seriously would not want to run into this man in a dark alley.
Speaker 1: No, he's really creepy. I don't like him.
Speaker 2: Steve, that's such a nice person. He really pulls off well, like terrifying. He does like rough guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is such a good actor. M really embodies the roles. Yeah, I was even thinking that the bit when he sort of flops himself down into the chair, you could just really tell that this is his home, and he's just like, yeah, he's king of this old house, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's only that set, and like, yeah, it's not just a set, it's really is his house.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We can talk about the set for a minute though, because I'm I really know really how it works, because it seems to be a lot bigger than this caravan could possibly ever be. Because there's a good chunk it's this living room and kitchen, which must be at least half of the place, and then you've got the toilet bit, and then you see Bev's bedroom at one point that has at least two windows on opposite sides.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't know where the hell the parents sleep. That doesn't seem to be room for them to have a bedroom.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure think, I mean, it's not a set. Apparently it is a real caravan.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, maybe it only is a one bedroom.
Speaker 1: Caravan, but they've had to pretend it's.
Speaker 2: Pretend it's too But we'll never see the second one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it's a sofa bed.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, minor gripe of mine.
Speaker 1: I've just got a note that says stands toilet habits. Mm hmm. Unsavory.
Speaker 2: I was reading up or read it people's opinions and things. You're seeing the great snooker joke, they do, hear.
Speaker 1: I think I read the same thread. Yeah, you probably did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's having a enormous shit at the same time that someone pops the brown and the snooker at the exact same moment.
Speaker 1: Sounds delightful.
Speaker 2: That is such a great joke that you don't even notice. I didn't notice it until I've read that. Yeah, brilliant, brilliant work, guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, for me, it's how he's coming out, like doing his trousers up clearly, don't wash his hands, no, Yeah, And it's just, oh my god, men like that, you know when here we go. But you know, when James is in the toilet and he's you know, obviously he's he's a guess and he feels uncomfortable and all that, and this man just comes in and you can just hear him saying, no, I need a ship first, and you just know, oh my god, I don't want to see this man. I don't want to be near this man.
Speaker 2: No, but I have to be I need to be right. I can't leave.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, I'm so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Surely they knew, like they're being paid for their caravan. Surely the wife is quite switched on. Surely she'd have told him like, remember this afternoon, they're turning up or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's the thing. He just doesn't care. Well, true, he's very much of the thing like, this is my house. I'm going to behave like I want. I'm going to just do. I'm not going to change my routine for them. You know, they're a strange couple.
Speaker 2: They are. I don't see them how they work together. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't really feel like they would be together.
Speaker 2: No, And if anything, she comes more across as like his mom than anything else. I don't buy that there are a couple. I buy that they're almost like mother and son or something like. Yeah, no, it's weird. It's an odd family. I think that just sums it up, really, just an odd family.
Speaker 1: So I think what follows is probably for me my favorite scene hm hm, basically Stan and James in the living room area. Yeah, and the conversation they have, right because James is so like, you can't read the room.
Speaker 2: To Stan, it's struggling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get this whole thing about You're not a real pig, are you? And it's like, no, I'm just playing pig.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this whole thing about Bobby versus the Bobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really trying to make a part out of this, isn't he. Yes, he's not even got to know even bless him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Reminded me of the thing in Stage Fright, of the guy who had the tiny part in the play trying to pick it up. I just love this, this clash of cultures with James trying to be all sort of, you know, slightly high brown and talk about the hollow crown Shakespeare's wore the Roses cycle, and the look on Steve's face that he gives him, it was just like, what the fuck are you talking about? You prick.
Speaker 2: For James, he just doesn't have a clue, does He just can't relate in any way.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then I tried to write down just just one little bit that I loved, but I ended up writing down the whole exchange because just like he's saying about waiting around can be tiring, though, and he just looks him, you fucking what. It's just more mentally draining sat slump than having to jump into it. Sat slumps. Wish my job were fucking sat slumps all day about tarmac and the rolls and the freezing cold. Ah five of the morning, mate. And then there's his pause and then he's like, or we do Averly starts as well, because they get you in for the breakfast before you going for makeup. You're taking the piss. It's like the worst thing you could have said. And he's like getting his hands dirty at half five Ontomac and the roads and he's just like, well, you have to get up early for the breakfast and the makeup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't go well, does it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're like the working class like clash with whatever. James is like, yeah, it's it's painful, but it's very entertaining. I think it's my favorite scenes. It's uncomfortable but very funny. I was I was hooting with laughter at that bit. I'm starting to see the camp now I'm with laughter. They also discuss about what happened to baby Ryan all that time ago, apparently, and the mum left him outside of news agents for two minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, why the fuck?
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Nah, there's no excuse for that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry there's not, but I feel like decades ago it was probably quite common.
Speaker 2: Well maybe twenty years ago. Yeah, maybe, but.
Speaker 1: It just goes to show the world's change, why you shouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the end of the day, babies are Small'll bring it in with you. Yeah, even if you left the proan outside, bring the baby in at.
Speaker 1: Least, So he asks them about it, isn't it. Then there's there's well, clearly someone's lying, discrepancies about whether they were living there at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, things are adding up. Something's going on.
Speaker 1: And then we're leading up to what might I'm guessing might be another one of your favorite lines, or at least line deliveries.
Speaker 2: Oh, which have we got?
Speaker 1: So Bev suggests that a dog took it. Oh yeah, yeah, it happened in Australia and the way the way, Steve says, yeah, I've read it with three h's. Yeah that I love that line delivery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the real story, I believe.
Speaker 1: Oh it was the famously and didn't Meryl Street make a film of it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Did she?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: I didn't I took my baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's in Buffy. One of the characters is in a band called dingo'st My Baby.
Speaker 2: How is it okay that we can laugh about this? We really should?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's not. We shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's just such a silly word exactly. Yeah, that's what I'm laughing at, Yes, genuinely, yes, but yes, that was another line I written.
Speaker 1: It is quite a funny episode, considering this so much darkness to it.
Speaker 2: It's very dark, but yeah, it's very funny, like on the face of it, until we get further down the rabbit hole. So we get Joe back again and Adrian Dunbar playing Adrian Dunbar, Yes, which is not exactly a new thing, like, oh extras that kind of thing, isn't it of people playing themselves but a bit of a dickhead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite fun though when you see that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's enjoyable. I always wonder when they do these things, how what the script said, Like when they originally write the script, are they writing it for Adrian Dunbar hoping it'll get him or is it written as celebrity will make jokes up later depending on who we can get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in this case, apparently they weren't sure who they were going to get. So they just wrote it generically and they once they cast him, they sort of adapted it around him. And obviously once they had him, obviously they've then got a wealth of material with the Line of Duty stuff that they can reference. So that was quite handy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was liven. It was that its hype back then. Yeah, it was a very good catch for them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I can understand like the whole playing an asshole version of yourself, because if you just played like a more realistic version of stuff, it wouldn't be that interesting.
Speaker 2: No, it's more fun to do that exactly. Yeah, he is awful.
Speaker 1: He is. He's really awful. I wonder if he does what he does to James purely because he makes that comment about playing another policeman. I wondered this his way of getting back at him.
Speaker 2: I imagine it probably is. I don't think he would have done that otherwise, Yeah, because yeah, because I mean he's a big enough factory. It's not like he's scrabbling for lines, Like surely he doesn't really care either way. Who knows, Yeah, I assume it's that way around there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably, But yeah, the way he's like so offended, like I'm playing him totally differently to.
Speaker 2: Chalk and Cheese. It's totally different.
Speaker 1: Was it one of them swept to the side, yeah's.
Speaker 2: Got a side parting. This guy's totally swept back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also love how during that whole scene, Steve's just sitting there enjoying it, throwing in the odd little comment put your foot in there.
Speaker 2: Didn't you staring where he can?
Speaker 1: Yeah. It reminds me of like Satler and Waldorf, like just making unhelpful comments.
Speaker 2: Just keep the drama going.
Speaker 1: Beckling. Yeah. We also when Joe brought him in as well as another one of her rude comments was just like sorry, it's so small and dingyingy, it's so awful, so rude. They're like, they're not treated like human beings.
Speaker 2: No, no, not remotely. At the end of the day, this is their home. It's not even like they've rented out an office or something. Yeah, it's their home, like you know, if they've booked out a B and B or whatever. Yeah. But while we're on Ted's hair, if you notice when you get a bit at the end where it's from the actual shoot and his hair is parted on the right, he is exactly the same.
Speaker 1: That's a nice little joke. I hadn't noticed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's so subtly different anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a funny joke anyway, isn't it The fact that the difference of the character is the hair is just yeah, it all comes down to the hair.
Speaker 2: I don't think you have a watch line of duty.
Speaker 1: I've not known. It's just one of those things, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, they are very similar characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes when something's so popular, it's just a bit like everyone's watching that, so I don't really want to watch it.
Speaker 2: It was really good, but yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I call it the slum dog millionaire effect.
Speaker 1: Yes, Ben suffers from it a million times more than me, I'll tell you that, right. Yeah, it's like as soon as someone suggests something, he's like, nope, no interested.
Speaker 2: Not even does well one person liked.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, so they have their little let's have a look at the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and James actually has got quite a few lines. I remember thinking you only had like a line and he was bigging his power up so much. But he actually does have quite.
Speaker 1: A bit to say, he's got three lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not if Adrian's got anything to say about it. No.
Speaker 1: The thing is, though, in a way, I think Adrian's right, like scene does work better the way he suggests it probably does, but you know, obviously they have to put it that way to you know, to make him seem like an asshole for the humor of it. But yeah, because why would we care about what this what this policeman has to say, like we would we would be more interested in the main character, I think so.
Speaker 2: I suppose. But if you've got a main character who obviously he's the main character in this, if all of you could argue that for every part, like we're only really interested in what his opinion on something is, so like before you know what happens, it's a one person show, like like where do you stop?
Speaker 1: I just felt like Reese's lines were quite sort of overwritten.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: Obviously you know they're there to be something for him to lose. Yeah, but you know, if if that was the real script, I feel like his part would be a bit unnecessarily big.
Speaker 2: That laugh for James's big part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just love the way, you know, all this acting wankery about you know, there was real emotion in that last line isn't there. And then when they run it and he just says the last line anyway, and and Reese is like, well, yeah, you swapped the line, didn't you, so that you said the last line and he pretends he didn't even notice. I did, deny.
Speaker 2: It's even worse. He said, we did, didn't we? Oh yeah, as if it was a joint decision that they should do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thing is we laugh. But I'm sure stuff like this happens. You know, the stars. There probably are some who probably essentially bully their way around and get what they want, you know. I mean he might be you know, maybe Adrian's like an executive producer on this drama or something as well.
Speaker 2: Probably, but still, yeah, we whittled poor little James's lines down.
Speaker 1: To yes, yeah, the sad little way when he's gone and he just has to run his lines again and it's just that one word, he just goes yes. So this is where we get the information that it would have been Ryan's birthday today, and that is what sort of triggers James to the cogs to start going around. Yeah, and he starts to put two and two together and make five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least five may nine nine nine.
Speaker 1: And we also we had that line earlier that he always wanted to be a detective when he was younger. Yes, so yeah, and now he's getting to sort of put his deer stalker on and get his magnifying glass out.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's what I imagine a lot of people are thinking at this point.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: We've sort of laid the groundwork for a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I think you know, if it's looking obviously like it's going in that way, it's never going that way usually not.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, there's not many where you where you can tell so too obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I find it quite disappointing, to be fair, when you find out that he wasn't right, because it does feel like quite a juicy twist for it to be that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's juicy, but yes, it's obvious at the same time, like it's the obvious story to tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, the clues like the Man in the Red tracks to the hair removal cream, the.
Speaker 2: Man in the Red trope. So it's the implication that Stan has only one pair of clothes, like one set of clothes that twenty years ago'd been wearing that same thing.
Speaker 1: Apparently, Yeah, I suppose. I don't know. I doesn't say. It's red tracksic quite an uncommon thing. I don't know, maybe not.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Track sis are quite common up North, at least.
Speaker 1: In a range of colors.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, It doesn't matter because it turns out he's wrong anyway, So he's just leaping to conclusions. So yeah, so he comes to the conclusion that they stole baby Ryan, yeah, and raised him as Bev. What's her name, Bev? Yeah, So he tries, so what why does he go to Joe the Runner to tell her? Of all people? I know, it's because she's the character that we've got. Yeah, we don't have anyone else, But like, what's she going to do?
Speaker 2: I guess maybe he doesn't have his phone and he's thinking, you go call the police. I'll keep these people here.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Well, he's probably because he's he wants to be he said he wants to be detective. But him being a detective is probably based on ITV dramas, and that's how an ITV drama would work, Like it would be resolved in the caravan, like it wouldn't be. The police would be called, they'd go off and get interrogated like a poiro You would do it there. And then yes, he wants his moment of accusing them.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, boy does he. Yeah, but Joe as ever infuriating. You think she's you think she's responding to him, but actually she's responding to the earpiece.
Speaker 2: Yeah. God, she's awful, she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he gives up and he'll sort it out himself. So he goes to find Bev. She's playing with the dolls in her room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's quite the collection.
Speaker 2: Quite the collection. We'll come back to that. And he's wanting pictures of as a baby. Are guessing to prove that it's Ryan mm.
Speaker 1: And it all points when she says, oh my dad doesn't let me get in the album out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean every clue is there saying.
Speaker 1: That he's on the right lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even ones that you wouldn't think that aren't really very obvious that you might think, oh, I'm clever, I spotted that, but they still don't.
Speaker 1: Work, like, yeah, it's a lot of coincidences, yea.
Speaker 2: And then the killer clue being the blanket that apparently Ryan went missing in. Yeah, even to the point where it's nicely folded over in the right.
Speaker 1: Place to obscure his name so he can reveal it cerical.
Speaker 2: In dramatic fashion. Yeah. Inside his head, he must be like, you know, party popper is going off and like confetti and yeah, he's thinking that he's going to get hailed as a hero here. Yeah, not so much. No, they find out all of this isn't isn't real? Like everything's got a pretty much innocent explanation. Yeah, the blanket's just a prop from the TV series. Yeah, the moment dad of being suspicious because he's been working while he's been claiming, yeah, claiming disability. She's going to have hair removal cream because the family are all quite downy or whatever she said the way she pronounces it, culminating in her ripping off, her ripping and opening her dressing.
Speaker 1: Gown of course, because yeah, why not.
Speaker 2: At this point, it's.
Speaker 1: Quite a moment, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: I mean, how awful must he feel when, Yeah, he realizes in that moment that he's wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then stanby Stan and him in the face of course he does.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't blame him, No, I don't at that point, just slight tangent, but that that moment just always reminds me of them. So years ago, I was in a play. There was this guy in it, my friend Nick, and he was wearing a dressing gown and at a certain point in the play he had to like to like flash his bum at me. Okay, don't ask. It was a very strange player, but yeah, so he just like lifted up, like what and I think it was quite a similar dressing gown actually, like pink and bluffy. Yeah, so, like just watching this scene, just like all I can think is just I just remember Nick lifting his dressing room a dressing gown. Sorry, it's just all I can think of. Oh dear, see it on my memory. AnyWho. And then, of course if that wasn't what bad enough, agent comes in and takes away his final line. You know you can do that with a nod, with a nod. And then we jump forward in time. Ye have many months it takes before it airs.
Speaker 2: Episode one's going out or getting his James's big moment. He's not even got his face in the camera, like yeah, back of his head.
Speaker 1: It's very Mike Wazowski. I was thinking, I don't believe it. I'm on TV.
Speaker 2: You see the thing. Just thinking on that for a second of whenever you months, I think on DVD in like in a shop, they always put the price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the commitment, like an accepted Yeah. Good DVDs were showing our age.
Speaker 2: I got rid of all the mine I took them. I took an entire shelf to see X of about fifty dvdst most of them worth a penny and I about four quid. Wow, it was amazing. I just produced this massive bag and you could see this woman's face. Fall knew she's gonna be there for the next twenty minutes pricing all this up. It's gonna be worth about three quid. But yes, So we are watching this, this last scene and Adrian's doing his best getting his little tear out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so dramatic.
Speaker 2: James just gets his little nod, turns around. He's got a massive black eye.
Speaker 1: Of course he does. I mean, as if they'd keep that in, Yeah, surely they just cut there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has well, I would say that. But is Adrian still pissed off? And he's like, no, keep that in. We're really fucked this guy over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'll never work again, saying.
Speaker 2: I can only play one role. Yeah, yeah, implication that it was all just a misunderstanding. Yeah, like nothing actually was going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or was it?
Speaker 2: Because they're complaining that, you know, they can't do anything exciting because they can't change it. It's a real story, but it's not got an ending because no one knows what happens. And the Bev's like, no, no one knows what happens and looks down and we find that baby Ryan is secreted inside her doll she's been carrying around the whole episode, in an incredibly dark twist that comes out of nowhere at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's what an image, isn't it? That skeleton hand?
Speaker 2: It is, Although I can't look at it and not laugh in a way, I know what you mean because it looks so like a prop skeleton that've got from a joke shop.
Speaker 1: It does. It does.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to rationalize this in my head because it's twenty years this thing will have rotted away to nothing. The hand wouldn't hold together, it would just fall to bits. Yeah, it would just be bones. So all I can imagine is that she's like got some glue and stuck it back together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she keeps fixing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the only way I can rationalize this. I'd preferred if it was you know, the hair was coming away a bit on the doll's head and you could see that it was a skull inside. Oh, would have been better. Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: I think that might have been quite hard to make clear what exactly it was.
Speaker 2: But yeah, when you'd had to have her open it or something, I suppose you'd have done something really dark of her opening and kissing it or something. Yeah, or something weird like that. But it just takes me out of it so much, this weird hand. Okay, it's clearly plastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true. Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this twist. No, A bit like I don't really get it. I mean, I know she's you know, she's got mental health as they call it, but like, you know, why why is she stolen a baby and kept it for all this time?
Speaker 2: Well? I took it as that her parents are very overprotective. They don't let her go out. She's not got any friends. Yeah, she's quite like infantile. She like a lot younger than she is Yes, so maybe when she was like ten, she was even you know, she thought of herself as a child, very young child. She saw this baby that'll be my friend and took it home. Yeah, and then it died because obviously it would because she wouldn't have to care for it, and she just kept it a secret. I don't I can't decide whether I think that her parents know or not.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think they do, no, because it's the way that Una very much says we don't know what happened. Believably to me. Yeah, yeah, I agree, Like I can understand her saying not wanting to say out loud where you took the baby, but she just said something a bit more cryptic of well, they're probably never going to know what happened or exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think it is. It's only Bev who knows, I think. Yeah, but she seems quite you know, she does quite a malicious little smile at the end of evil little smile.
Speaker 2: She knows what she's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very weird and there is something to be said about I know there have been complaints about you know how a lot of episodes of this show have people who have mental health issues who murder someone just for no reason, yeah, or whatever, And I'm like, yeah, I don't know. It's tricky one.
Speaker 2: I can see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because at the end of the day, you could argue that anyone who murders someone is not mentally.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I don't think she murdered the child. Well, I think she was probably a little like naive kid took the child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hid it. Yeah, it wasn't intentional in.
Speaker 2: The same way that a kid might take a snail or something and put it in a jar. Yeah, like the same sort of thing and then wonder why it died in three days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, sir, I shouldn't you usse weren't murder in that sense, but comes to the same effect at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the more grim thing is the amount of dolls she's got. M Is this the only child she's taken?
Speaker 1: Are they all or many of them?
Speaker 2: Could more than one of them have? Yeah? And she just she's carrying this one around today because it's its birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like to think not because this is a big like they're making a TV drama about it. It was a big deal. This child went missing. If lots of children had gone missing, it would be that would have been said. Yeah, they're just talking about one child that went missing, unless they've moved a lot and they do know, and she has taken children all over the place. Yeah, keep an eye only child maybe would be better. But to Uner and.
Speaker 1: Stan, I mean, I think maybe maybe she's just always liked dolls and then seeing this baby left alone, she thought it was another doll maybe that she could take, and you know, yeah, so it's just that's just that that's her special one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe I like to hope that that's the letter of all of the evil.
Speaker 1: As well, Like on a rewatch when you know the twist. It's interesting to see her holding that doll the whole time and the way the sleeve is just covering that arm arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, she does hold it very lovingly throughout the episode. It's not like how a child would hold a doll of just holding it by your hand, down by your side, just dragging it along the floor kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of effect.
Speaker 2: She does really treat it affectionately. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Creepy though, oh, very creepy.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know for keeping this a secret for twenty years though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how she's managed that. And when they commented about how the place smells, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, growth, m m, well that's a fun one people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are we going to give it? Out of nine?
Speaker 2: Mmm? I'm thinking of five.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm being too generous. I do enjoy it. It's fun, it is. I think it has a decent twist. I like that it's sort of a fake out twist as well, and like the fact that it's literally in the last sort of ten seconds of the episode of that that you find out when you think that there isn't one, and like the whole twist was that there wasn't a twist.
Speaker 1: Those ones are always quite fun when it's a sudden last minute, very much the last minute we contextualizes everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like devil a Christmas or that kind of thing. Yeah, how about you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking for mm hmm. Yeah. So yeah, middling, yeah, good but not the best but not the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, cool that time of the week. Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Would you?
Speaker 1: I'll say yes, Oh yeah, go for it. It's in her room, isn't it. It is among the dolls and things. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's on the sort of left end of the doll shell.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's it. Yeah, nice, wonderful listeners spotted our hair.
Speaker 2: Yes, now we will tell you where it was next week. We will. It was a good one, I think. So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we have an email i'd like to read. Oh so this was sent into us from Daniel.
Speaker 2: Hi, Daniel.
Speaker 1: The subject line says, a random act of kindness. Ah, Hello, my name is Daniel. I just wanted to say I've been loving the show lately and just wanted to thank you both for putting such a positive light into my world for the time being. I've been struggling with some things as of late, and a little beacon of hope has been listening to both of you and your wonderful commentary on my favorite show and making me feel like I'm having a good chit chat with my friends so much so, making me laugh in my college classes and having everyone look at me like a madman. I also thought it was quite cool that me and Steven saw the same London show of Stage Fright with Matt Berry.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We keep up with good work and I'll continue listening peace and bless ah. Thanks Daniel, it's a lovely email. Thank you, it was really sweet.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I know exactly what it feels like when you're going through a tough time and then you've got some sort of media or something that is keeping you sort of afloat. So to be part of that for someone is yeah, very humbling. Actually yeah, yeah, we're glad. We're glad to be of some sort of help.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Oh thanks for writing in, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. We'll be back next.
Speaker 2: Week very well. For how do you plead? Indeed, until then.
Speaker 1: I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.