Speaker 1: Four Finger Discounted.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, welcome to four Finger Discount. With this week, we're very lucky to be joined by a man who wrote the episode. We're going to be discussing it's Last Exit the Springfield. You may know his podcasts. Don't be Alone, it's Jay Cogan. Don't be alone with Jay Cogan. How are you going, sir?
Speaker 1: May be with Jack Cogan.
Speaker 2: Hat there you go.
Speaker 1: It's all about the merch guys. Do you have the four Finger Discount merch?
Speaker 2: Now we've been doing this podcast for ten you still know merch. We need to get merged merch. The thing is, we used the Simpsons font with our logo back. We know before people care about things and now looking I go, if we do this, Disney going to be angry.
Speaker 1: It's all a big last suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just we need to create a new logo. But then it's like we've had this logo for ten years, all right.
Speaker 1: People don't like change, they don't.
Speaker 3: They certainly do not.
Speaker 2: I'm one of those people. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for having me. It's great to be here. I'm usually on my podcast Don't Be Alone with Jake Cogan, and we normally discussed. We've discussed a lot of Simpson things on my podcast, but never, we never, We're not dedicated to the Simpsons. So this is fascinating. And of course last exit to Springfield has been a People seem to love this episode, so I'm glad they do, and I like it okay, But but everybody else seems to love.
Speaker 3: It absolutely the case. By the way, a little bit of self deprecation to begin, because it's always a tasty spice. But I saw the title of your podcast, Don't be Alone with Jay Cogan. I thought that is heartwarming and sweet. This is a message that everybody needs. Don't be alone, you know, create, you know, nourishing, nurturing social circles. Then I re read it's like, oh yeah, don't be alone with Jake Cogan exactly.
Speaker 1: Both, It's both.
Speaker 3: It works on so many levels.
Speaker 1: You're it's like a Simpsons joke. You look at it and then you look at it again. Oh, I get the other one.
Speaker 2: Who's the first per in the site I'd be alone with Jack Kagan?
Speaker 3: Was it Wally Woollodowski?
Speaker 1: Wow, don't belong with Jack Cogan. It may be my first babysitter. I'm not sure. But now Wallywalladerski is not afraid, clearly after all these years, not afraid to be alone with Jack Cogin. That's not that is not a problem for him.
Speaker 2: Were you guys a team when you were on because you were both pas for Gary Shanling's show. When did it become the duo that we now know in love?
Speaker 1: Well, Wally and I were very good friends in high school and we used to get each other jobs for when we were over the summer. So if I was working at a movie theater, he'd go work with me at a movie theater. A record warehouse, he'd go work with me at a record warehouse. And uh, I got a job as a production assistant on its Scary Shaling show. And then there was an opening and I called him and said he had just graduated from college. And I called him and said, you know what, there's a job over here, and he is being completely and constantly out of work. Said okay, I'll come do that, and he worked as a production assistant on the show with me, And while we were there, he said, you know what, let's take a chance at trying to write one of these episodes, a spec version of the show, and then we did, and they loved it, but they refused to buy it. They said, okay, well we'll have you write one. Oh man, we'll have to be assigned a script that they'll like. Well, they never did that, so then we wrote another script and then they like that even better than the first one, but also didn't buy it. But that's the script that I showed a producer who was on the Tracy Ollman Show. It was on the Gary Shaling Show. Was also on the Tracy Ollmen Show. And he said, ah, I think I can get you a writing audition with the executive producers of the show.
Speaker 3: And we did.
Speaker 1: We pitched a bunch of sketches. They picked one.
Speaker 3: We wrote one.
Speaker 1: They liked it enough and said we're willing to hire you at the minimum amount of money that the show business pays anyone.
Speaker 2: Never change. And you said we'll take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll peg itt. So we did that. But so why and I his name at the time was Mark Wallace. He changed his name to Wally Walladerski when he became a professional writer. And so we've been buddies since we were fourteen years old.
Speaker 3: Can I talk about the logic or maybe like thereof of change your name from Mark Wallace to Wallace Wiladoski. Mely, Wally Wiladowski does have a ring to it, but kind of it. I'm thinking of the olden Knights of Hollywood, when Bernie Schwartz had to become Tony Curtis.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting you say that, because his father, Irv Waladererski had to change his name to Irv Wallace to get work in show business as as an assistant director. So he went from the you know, the old country name to the americanized name, and Mark, being sort of a good liberal boy, said I'm changing it back reclamation, so that he went back with his name legally became Mark Wallace Waladarski. It was always Mark Wallace. Now it's Mark Wallace, Waladarski and Waladwallerski alliteration. Oh yeah, memorable, Mark Wallace kind of boring.
Speaker 2: Have you ever told him that?
Speaker 1: Oh? He knew.
Speaker 3: I'd like to ask you about the process of writing with a working partner. I mean, how similar and dissimilar you have to be in your strengths, in your weak spots, and your preferences and your tastes. I mean, is it like two people lifting the same couch. Is it one's driving ones navigating?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: How do you discover you work well together?
Speaker 1: Like two people licking the same catch?
Speaker 3: What'd you say looking the same cat? That's exactly what I said. This is a common Australian metaphor. We do thing, it's differently down here lifting the same couch?
Speaker 1: Shall we lift in the same couch? It is? I would say, it's not like lifting the same couch. It's like any it's it's like figuring out where you want to go for dinner. You know, it's like some people are easy going and want to go where you go, some people don't. Sometimes you're in the mood for Chinese. So here's what happens. The very best version of this is you like each other okay, and then you appreciate each other's taste, and you think each other everybody the other person's funny, and you're willing to listen when they tell you, I don't think what you just said is very good. In fact, I think it's not very good at all. And you have to go like, okay, that's fine and not be hurt. So if you know, basically Walawadski knows I love.
Speaker 2: Him, is that Wally Colling you Van Yah.
Speaker 1: Now it's my dad, my dad. But wallywas knows that I love him very much. And you know, we've been buddies' best friends for years and it was the best man of my wedd So when I say to him that sucks, he knows it's coming from somebody who actually thinks he's funny most of the time and and and cares about him. And when I hear Jay, that's the worst piece of shit you've ever thought of, it's also coming from love with a.
Speaker 3: Little sprinkly of something else on top.
Speaker 1: Maybe when partnerships go sour, it's usually like a marriage is going, so you don't think the underlining respect is there, and so things can go haywire at a certain point, and they often do. But the other good thing about partnerships is you don't want anyone in the room who thinks exactly like you do. You want somebody who think a little bit differently, so that you have two minds conquering the same problem from slightly different points of view, and you're apt to get something interesting going on. You want paint about it and chocolate right, and that way we both lock the same cat. You know teams in Hollywood, they proliferate mainly because you get two writers for the price of one, and Hollywood loves a bargain, so their chance. The fact that Wally and I were a team, I think is one of the reasons we got hired on The Tracy Owens Show because we have got two bodies for the price of one, and so two writers in a writer's room, we're basically doing the work of we're not the two of us aren't doing the work of one writer. When we're in a rear room, we're doing a work of two writers. But they get to pay us half as much money.
Speaker 2: So you paid a single income for the two of you. Yeah wow, okay, so you're hired as a team.
Speaker 1: Or hired as a team. We split our salary right down the middle and that so it's a big bargain for them, and we got to leap frog off for other really much more talented people who were much more expensive.
Speaker 2: So do you think of raising that doesn't exist? Or exist? It didn't exist as much as it probably should have, just the grade on the person's behalf because they didn't want to split their money, or is it? How does it work?
Speaker 1: I mean, when you get to a certain point in your life where in your career where you're commanding more money and you're a team, and you're commanding more money than you're not you're splitting. You're not splitting the minimum. You're getting as much as any individual writer, and then sometimes more. And then the line of writers lighting teams do split up eventually because they want A they want creative autonomy and B they want the full salary. So that happens a lot. And when Wally decided to split off from writing television with me, I was very sad that he didn't want to do that anymore, didn't want to work on TV. But I was happy to think, well, if I ever get hired again, I'll get the full price.
Speaker 2: What point did that happen was that after you left the Simpsons? Correct?
Speaker 1: Yes, we got a development deal after we left the Simpsons, and we worked for Universal for a while, and that development process really took a lot of joy out of both of us. But Wally sort of decided I'm going to be He always wanted to bake movies, and so he says, I'm going to be exclusively movies, and I want to do my own thing. And there was like, I of course said what but then then right after that I said, I for do what you need to do, of course.
Speaker 2: But I think it was similar with with Michael reson Nolo Jean. Right, they left to do the critic and then they just sort of they realized that it wasn't as much fun as the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, Mike wanted to stop and Al never wanted to stop. Yeah, so that's just a life choice, you know. It's like Mike likes to travel with his wife. He likes to do stuff. Al does not workhorse. He just likes to work and work and work and work.
Speaker 2: And he didn't stop until this year. Last year.
Speaker 1: In fact, Al is the guest and this week's Don't Be Alone with Jay Coogan, Al Jean is my is my is my guest on this week's episode. Yeah no, I mean you can ask Al any question you want. Is uh, he'll be very nice about it. I'm I'm much more likely to say bad shit about people, but Al will not. But the thing about it is, uh, yes, we people. People burn out, People get tired. Al Jean worked on the Simpsons for thirty years, I mean, an unbelievable amount of time. On one show. Uh and and and I think most writers, if they said, hey, you could work on one show, even as a show as good as The Simpsons for thirty years, a lot of writers go, I don't know, I'd like to try to do other things.
Speaker 3: I was bad to say. I mean, given the sort of the spectrum of material that you've worked on of the course of your career, I mean, does that feel more like a full body creative workout as opposed to just working one muscle as he might be doing on The Simpsons, even though the Simpsons would probably offer you a fair bit of scope creatively speaking.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could do a lot of things on the Simpsons, because it's a cartoon, and you can parody things and do a lot of fantasy things and all kinds of stuff. But I liked working in live action. I liked working in single camera. I liked working in movies. I like working into a lot of things. So animation is just one of many things that I wanted to try in my career. So I was interested in working in animation and also in many other things. I got the opportunity when I got the chance to leave the Simpsons. I didn't try to make more anime shows. I tried to make more live action shows, single camera live action shows and multi camera live action shows. And I've worked on movies, live action movies, some animated movies, and some sketch shows, some award shows, like anything. A lot of different choices.
Speaker 3: But predominantly in comedy. You're right, Jay, I mean, I'm looking out of it.
Speaker 1: You know you'll see Vogca comedy, all comedy. I've tried to write drama and that winds up. I can't resist putting jokes in.
Speaker 3: So it's something I was curious about because, I mean, your dad was a famous, well well regarded comedy rodit Righte a mad magazine calling me yes, And it's a very it's a very serendipitous segue that we're talking about your dad. But was I mean, was it always sort of on the CODs view that you'd be doing comedy for a living.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean, I love comedy and I grew up with comedy, and my ability to make my father laugh was like my my connective tissue father son connective tissues, so like he was sort of raising me to do that, So maybe it was always going to be comedy. I don't know he ever really thought it was going to be writing. I really didn't think I was going to be a writer. It looked horrible when my dad did it. It looked lonely and sad and you know, pulling your hair out and frustrating and all that other kind of stuff. So that's the one thing I didn't want to be. I was trying to be an actor and a comedian and director, and I did special effects. I did a lot of things, and then eventually failed at all those things and eventually became a writer.
Speaker 2: When you were a kid, you dad obviously could write very funny jokes. Did you see him as a funny person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a silly guy. He did a lot of jokes all day long. But you know, sometimes when he had to be a dad, he was able to do that. He put on the dad hat every now and then, especially when I was in trouble. But my dad traditionally did funny things, and he fell into rooms and put whip cream on his face at award shows and like he was a weird, oh silly, really silly guy. One time he sent out a Christmas card for our family. It was me, my sister, my dad, and this blonde lady who had nothing to do with my nothing like my mom. And he just sent it out to everybody we knew and said, Mary, you know, happy holidays from the Kogans and my my father's friends. Most of them thought it was a joke and laughed, but there were a few people called up my mom and said, I don't know what happened, but we're on your side. He did me many practical jokes his whole life, and when I was born, he sent out a birth announcement announcement with his my father's height and weight on it and uh, you know there's a plank. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was and continues to this day. He loves a good joke. He's very funny. And I grew up in the shadow of that buddy.
Speaker 2: What did he think of your Simpsons work?
Speaker 1: Uh, it's good quote. I think he liked it. I don't think the Simpsons was his. It certainly wasn't his preference. When I told him I'm gonna leave this Emmy Award winning sketch show to go work on a cartoon live, you know, a prime time cartoon, he said, you're ruining your career. Don't do it, you know, that's a big, huge, huge mistake, and I had to go against my father's advice.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because the people that we've spoken to have worked on The Simpsons, there seems to be real connective tissue between Mad Magazine and the show. They seem to be a bit of a connective through line or a bit of a two and pray between the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, because I mean I think they're both They are both in their era touchstones of comedy for different generations, and so the Mad Magazine sat it out Live Money Python the Simpsons. I mean, there's certain shows and things that have sort of identified what comedy is in a particular era, and The Simpsons, certainly in the nineties, was that thing. So yeah, I mean there's a touchdown and a lot of the people on my writing staff when I worked at the beginning since loved Mad Magazine and we're heavily influenced by Magnet Magazine. And when I was able to get all our pictures in Mad Magazine because my dad's connection, they I was a hero for a brief moment before they went back to calling me an idiot.
Speaker 2: How many of the of the original Simpsons writing stuff did you know when you joined that first season. How many did you know beforehand?
Speaker 1: Well? I knew Sam Simon and Matt Groening, and.
Speaker 2: So you didn't know Ali didn't know Mike. He didn't know all those guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, hey, we do do. Alan Mike had worked on the Gary Shandling Show, so I knew them for one season of that. I think maybe I'm trying to think maybe John Veedy also worked in the Gary Shanling Show. Briefly, I'm not I don't really remember. But there were a few people who worked on It's on the Gary Shanling Show. Not many, but George Meyer I had not known before this, Jeff Martin and I hadn't known before this. I'm trying to think of John Schwartzwelder. I certainly didn't know. So a lot of these guys were brand new to me when we showed up.
Speaker 2: Did it feel like you'd been picked or somewhat of a super team by James L. Brooks and Sam Simon.
Speaker 1: No, well, it didn't feel like we were just a super team. I like that idea, though. It felt like we were, yeah, much more close to the underdog. We were going to experiment with this strange little show. That is doomed to failure but could be really funny. And that's what we proceeded to make. We thought James L. Brooks got us thirteen episodes, not a pilot thirteen episodes, so we have thirteen episodes to fail, and that's what we thought we'd do. We just make ourselves laugh and make it as silly and as crazy and as fun as we wanted to be while also trying to tell a story and have emotional resonance because our boss, James L. Brooks insists on it. But I mean, we're just, you know, twenty something idiots and we emotional residents. You know, we're too spectro me to care about emotional resonance. But we exceed to his wishes and made sure that there is emotional resonance to the show. And that's why I think the show is actually pretty good, because it matters. Jeah.
Speaker 3: I'd like to veer a wife from the Sims just quickly, but I'd like to ask about what you learned at at Groundlings, which is this legendary comedy troupe I guess you'd call it, But was working with those guys a being part of that organization, was it like comedy one. I won in terms of fundamentals and technique.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's comedy school and it's writing school. Yeah, because you have to write sketches. It's a sketch troop. It's like Second City or you know a lot of people from drownings go to Saturn Alive and it's the perfect It's the perfect place for people who work on certa a live because you write sketches, you do characters. You you know, try to figure out what's funny. You keep editing and editing and editing, you fix things. You have to agree in the moment, and if you learn an improvisation, you have to be quickly in a scene and saying things that make sense within the scene. So those are all great things for comedy writers. So if you're going to a scene write a show, it's good to be able to think in the voice of one character, then suddenly think in the voice of another character, and go back and forth and be consistent. If you're in a rewrite room with a lot of other writers, it's good to be able to say yes to what the showrunner wants and agree and then offered eight nine twelve suggestions on what the joke or the moment could be. So you're looking at story, you're looking at character. Growling is a very big on character, and you're looking at comedy. And it's all being taught to you and forcing you by doing, by making comedy and learning how to fail, learning how to go on stage and not be funny or not get a lab when you thought it would, and hone your craft. So Growlings was very essential to my development and the development of so many others. Like I think half of everybody in comedy at least came at least half came from the Growlings, the other half from Upfront Gate or Second City or something as else. But but to stand up comedy, but ours, the Groundings is a very good school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the ink be audit for people like Will Ferrell, Christen wig Elvira because Andrew paid some even the Simpsons on Trust mcnail. Yeah, I mean, does a ground leak recognize another groundling out in the wild, you know if you're.
Speaker 1: By reputation, Okay, by reputation. So I kind of keep track of who who came through the school, and I went there when I was a kid. I started when I was seventeen and eighteen sou But I keep track of people, and i know people from the Groundings, and I'm still friendly with people who I didn't wasn't in the Groundings, they weren't in my era, but I still keep up with those those people too. So yeah, the Groundings still very cool functioning place.
Speaker 2: I've seen interviews where you've said some of the best advice you can give comedy udors to when you join a team is to just shut up and just listen and just take it all in.
Speaker 1: When you join a writing staff, Yeah, not a team. When you draining a writing staff, that's a weird and there's only two of you and one of your shuts up, that's not a good team.
Speaker 3: But you just described the full finger discun done exactly right, exactly.
Speaker 2: So what were the first things that you learned when you went to that Simpsons writers room yet that what caught you off?
Speaker 1: Guys, Well, that was my first room. My first room was the Tracy Oman room, and I'm there with James L. Brooks, a guy named Jerry Belsons, very famous comedy writer. Heidi Perlman from Cheers, one of the executi producers of Cheers, Sam Simon, one of the executivecers of Cheers and Taxi and ken Aston. So I'm with these giants of comedy and Wiley and I are just these two little peons who have been hired because we work really cheap. So the idea is be quiet and listen. First of all, if you're quiet enough, you'll figure out who's in charge, so you can figure out who's the boss and who do you want to please. Second of all, every show has a tone, so you have to really. You can watch the TV and the TV show and still not get the tone they're going for. Listening to what people are doing in the moment gives you the tone. Uh. And then after a few days you start talking suggestions. Something something you say gets in fantastic, something you say doesn't get in. You're still hustling and working, but don't interfere. Don't slow them down. You know you're the slow man in the photopol be a lot of people who just start out want to prove themselves and say and at the gate they just start pitching ideas, but they're slowing the room down. Let the big boys handle a lot of it. And then when you have a moment, try to try to pitch a golden a little golden idea and see if it gets in.
Speaker 2: But when did you ever feel like one of the big boys at the citizens?
Speaker 1: Oh? I felt like the big boy at the sentences right away. Wally and I were first on board, so like it. It was Matt Groening, Sam Simon and me and Wally so like everybody else was like you came later, guys like we felt. We felt very warm and welcome and and and part of it right away. I wasn't worried about that. And and the Simpsons. The tone of The Simpsons was being thought of by all of us as we were starting figuring out what the show was, and it was growing exponentially with every idea and uh, all the premises that were laying down and all the characters that we were developing. And the very first script that we wrote while and I wrote it was called Homer's Odyssey, and it was the very first script that existed for The Simpsons. It was not there was no pilot script.
Speaker 2: It was just like we're running a season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of many in the pipeline, but ours was the first and our first script. I think Homer was called Homer, but Marge's called Juliette really because she didn't have a name. Yeah, it was Homer and Juliette because we were we were trying to be cute.
Speaker 2: So they hadn't named the characters. But that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Now mother, father, brother, sister, baby, I think that they were. They were.
Speaker 2: So the story of when, uh you know, Matt says that when I went into pitch the idea to Fox and You, I had to quickly think of the names of the of the characters and quickly write them down. I went in and I pitched the idea.
Speaker 1: Didn't happen, right, He may he may have had those and then that, but you didn't tell us. Yeah, and when we're doing the shorts on the Tracy owned show, they didn't. Really. Bart may have had a name. I mean, a lot of characters didn't have names, including Marge, so we just made one up. But that's not the one that stuck. Turns out Matt wanted to honor his family, so he did.
Speaker 3: You were the big men on campus in the Simpsons his room. But is there a reset when you move on to different projects, or if you gathered enough sort of clout and credibility when you move on to say something like Fraser.
Speaker 1: Every time you go to a grand new show, you're the logo. It's the same thing. You clam up and you figure out how does this room work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And who is the person that you really have to pitch to? And who are the assholes? Who're the nice people? And who are my friends? And who are going to be the people I'm not gonna like? And like, you know, what's what's the tone going to be? So and especially on a show that's been on for a couple of years. I and I've got on a Frasier. It had been on for many years. So I'm walking into a Emmy winning TV show that people's going All I can do when I show up is ruin it. That's the only thing I could do to change things. So you want to be very careful, listen to what the show is, but then do your best to join in and give them what they need. But you still think it's funny. You know, be true to yourself, give your own ideas, but you know, learn the layer of the land before you start making big suggestions.
Speaker 2: And trouble did you find as times evolve, comedy evolves? But do you find that writer's rooms tend to sort of stay the same when it comes to the structure and vibe or does every show in every year have its own sort of different vibe in the room.
Speaker 1: Every show, every show sort of has its own vibe, and it's usually set by the showrunner. So since showrunners are all different people, they're going to have different vibes. The christ Lloyd, Christopher Lloyd, not the actor, the writer who run who ran the Frasier Writer's Room, has a much different vibe than Sam Simon had at the at The Simpsons who had a much different, more different different vibe than Thenard Boomer had at Malcolm in the Middle and uh Bruce Helford had at The Low Pet Show or something like that. They the showrunner sets the tone of the humor, but also just the vibe of what kind of workplaces is. I think everybody who works at any workplace, their bosses set the tone for them. If their boss is a grouch who is you know, hates his life, he's gonna make sure you hate your life. And if their boss is a sort of Fezziwigs style lovely man, then your life will be much more lovely too. So you hope when you get a job that you find the fezziwigs of the world.
Speaker 2: What what best described Sam Simon's vibe?
Speaker 1: Uh? Wow, that's a great question. I mean, Samsung is genius, so really funny, but also just a little bit angry. So uh uh and by I say this as someone who loved him dearly, I love Samsung like a brother. But he he could be really angry. He could scream at you at the top of his lungs. It was he was not shy about overreacting to a million things. But he's also really smart and really funny, and he could be as ferocious as he could be. He could also be like a lamb at times. But so it was kind of the vibe is mercurial. What's the weather like when you watch into Sam? Is he is he good Sam? Or is he not good Sam? Uh? And so that's that's the kind of you're walking on eggshells a little bit when you're dealing with him.
Speaker 2: I think that's a difference between angry and angry for the right raisins.
Speaker 1: Though Okay, no, he was not angry for the right reasons.
Speaker 2: He wasn't.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean sometimes he was, but sometimes he wasn't. I don't you know, he had he you know, every we're all products of our childhood, so in his childhood he learned to be quick to anger and then but he's also really, really smart and funny, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bad to ask him. Would there be times when you feel like I shouldn't be taking this personally? I know it's office hours here, but I'm kind of taking this personally.
Speaker 1: I think the trick to surviving a show like that is not taking things personally. Sure, So, like he's just saying, like, you know, Sam's in a bad mood, doesn't mean I'm horrible. If there he's screaming at you for writing the shittiest script in the world. It's hard not to hear that as a writer and go like, oh, is it really the shittiest script of the world. But and sometimes he's right. Maybe sometimes you've written something bad, But most of the time he's just engaging you in the way he likes to engage.
Speaker 2: When you say angry, then do you mean angry because you haven't written a joke the way he wanted? Or is he just in a bad mood because something happened now out of work and he brought it with him to the office.
Speaker 1: I mean, he could lash out it for you for anything, any reason at all. So like I remember walking down with Sam down the twentieth century Fox Walkway and then guy ran into him said hey Sam, and then and Sam just started screaming at him. I was like, Hey Sam, you're gonna say hey Sam to me? And then and then he walked. They had this little tiff, and then they walked along and then Sam said, you see what he said to me? I said, Sam, he said nothing to you. The guy just said, hello, you heard you heard something else you heard I'm going to kill you. But what he said was have a nice day. And you know, I don't know why you react the way you did, But they said, really I did, Like he really had had a messed up sense of who was coming at him and who was not coming at it.
Speaker 2: I find that this so interesting because you never hear these stories best Sam, obviously because he's passed and if they want to talk positively of him. But I think it's interesting to hear that there's a reason he was so successful because he I guess, he got shit done and he wanted things done his way. And you gotta have a bit of mongol you, I guess.
Speaker 1: He absolutely want to get shit done and want to get shit done his way. He's also and this can't be this is not a small thing. One of the great audiences of the world. So, like he knew who is funny. He loved to laugh. When somebody wrote something, he would like laugh hysterically. So he loved people, good people and good things. When when they hit him right, he was fantastic. So he found all the writers of the Simpsons. He found all his people and appreciated them. And so if that was one of the great writing staffs of all time, which some people claim it was, it's cause Sam found those people.
Speaker 3: I don't mean this to be a leading question, Jay, but I mean it seems like the kind of behavior that you're talking about with Sam there is becoming less and less tolerated in show business. Is the work diminished as a result? Bet does better work get created if some heads getting kicked? Metaphorically speaking, I mean I would say no, I don't. I run shows before it, and I don't kick in people's heads.
Speaker 1: I try to. I try to give a very warm, welcoming, kind loving environment for people to feel safe to pitch their best work. You know, satun Lahib is a pretty rough and tumble place and people manage to survive that. It's a very light, cutthroat, you know, pit people against each other kind of place. So some great work gets done there. But my favorite kind of work is when everyone helps everybody. When when somebody writes something, everybody else chips in to make that better, and then the cast chips in to make that better, and everybody tries to make everybody look good. That's that's magic. That's I had that at certain places. It was like that. At Frasier it was like that, and and honestly it was like that. It's The Simpsons. You know, all the writers really put in great jokes in everybody's script. So when you know, you talk about Last Exit to Springfield, that's something that was written by me and Wally, but also written by ten other people.
Speaker 3: It's probably difficult to review your own work in terms of ideas and themes and that. But when it comes to The Simpsons, were there certain things that you found you and Wally came back to like you wanted to explore. I mean, these could be like big overriding ideas about community in society or just about family dynamics and character interaction to mean.
Speaker 1: We were just trying to mind our childhoods for things that we thought were fun and interesting. Also, we were just trying to sell. The way you got an episode is you pitched an idea to Sam or Matt or Jim Brooks, and so you would think about, like, I'm want to write two to three episodes this season, and then we had we had we had sort of weeks where we would a few several few days where this we do a story conference out off lot. We go to a hotel room and we just pitched stories. And so at that point we sort of had ideas. I had a bunch of ideas from that are written down, while he had some ideas written down, and I would pitch it to Sam, and Sam go, oh, that's the shittiest idea in the world. And then I will I turned to Jim Brooks during lunch and said, oh, do you think this one, Jim? And if he liked it, I sold it. Sam had it do it, and so I was able to push the things. So it's the idea like the jazz singer, we ripped off the jazz singer and made Krusty for Krusty gets busted. I guess it was a U and I was like father, like cloud and and that was an idea that Sam hated, Matt hated. But then I went to Jim and Jim liked. I said, we gotta do it, so you know, and that idea why I don't want to do that, I don't know. I just thought it's funny to do a weird show busy story with the weird cloud. So it it's things that made me laugh or I thought was interesting. Barta Daredelvill came about because we used to see these ads for truck Asaurus. There is this giant truck that I couldn't figure out why people were going to see it in the stadium, this monster robot truck, but people loved it, and so we, uh, we just made fun of that. And Evil Knievel was a big thing in our childhood too, so we made a fake Evil can Eevil. I don't even know when we were doing the nineteen nineties. Evil Canel probably didn't wasn't doing anything, and kids that era probably have no idea. There wasn't Evil can Eevil. But that's the guy that we were. We were making fun.
Speaker 2: We'd heard the name. We probably didn't know who he was, but he'd become a point with if you did something silly, you mom and dad would say, who you think you are? Evil?
Speaker 3: It's just right.
Speaker 2: It was a brand by that point.
Speaker 1: Sure, So I mean crazy lunatic, mostly drunk guy I don't even know, but I was like, we he jumped over things on his motorcycle. That seemed like if you're if you're nine years old, that seems like a really cool job. So you're very interested in jumping over things on your bike, and that was that was fun for us, So we mind that, we mind other things. We also knew that if we had a good Lisa episode or a March episode, a lot of the other riders, who were let's say say very spectromy who not great with email relationships, didn't want to touch the women characters metaphorically and not possibly physically, that we weren't servicing those characters. So if we had a good Lisa story or March story, we knew that's a sale. We could get that then, you know, so we would we would, we would think about that too. Those were fund for us ride.
Speaker 2: I know MEMI wrote the part what became the part of the Simincess Open Fire. Why do you think there was a real lack of female voice in that writer's room in the beginning.
Speaker 1: There a couple of reasons. One is, you know, it's misogyny, honestly. I mean in nineteen ninety there were a few women writers, but there weren't a lot of men. Weren't seeking out the voice of women for these things. It was boys club, mostly white guys. You know, it's like there's a lot of there was no there was no diversity being sought after, so it was so there was definitely misogyny. The pool of writers that Sam was looking for was a very limited pool. Was like this, there was a magazine called Army Man that was being self made, and more than half the writers in that Simpsons room came from Army Man. And there were mostly guys except for like Merrion Marco who didn't want to work in the Simpsons. So like there's like mostly guys. So that that's the main reason was the limited view of the pool of writers and the lack of wanting to make a diverse staff was why there weren't a lot of women writers then.
Speaker 2: So you said you were good at writing. March at least the stories you guys to those because the others didn't. When you didn't have that female voice in the writer's room, did you ever seek did you ever run and buy a female friend of yours whatever and say, hey, what do you think of this idea? Did you have a chancetick advice from female associates of yours to see whether you were getting that female voice right in your script?
Speaker 1: No? No, I mean I don't know. I mean I didn't run. I didn't run mister Burns's lines by an evil man either, like I didn't. It's it's being a writer means that that you imagine in your head what the characters are like. And accuracy isn't really the goal. The goal is entertainment and and and the feeling of legitimacy. And you know, I don't I'm I'm I'm against the way things are right now. To sell a show, you just have to say it was my authentic experience, this happened to me. And that goes against everything I believe as a writer. As a writer, you have created freedom to write anything. I should be able to write spy novels and I should be able to write romance novels, and I should be able to write a show about a teenage girl who's also falls in love with alien. And none of those things happened to me, but as a writer, I get to write them, and so uh and and I don't think that a female writer needs to check with me to write a male character. I mean, I don't think that's what we do. We have to we have experience. I have experience of females in my life, and I have experiences of evil people in my life. And I have experience of moments when I felt like I was an evil genius even though I wasn't doing mister Burns style evil. But like, we all know what it's like to be angry but not angry enough to murder, or angry or fall in love but not fall in love like Romeo and Juliet. We can. We know these emotions and we tap into them for our writing, and writing is for making things that are even more interesting and fabulous than your real life. So the fact that it doesn't necessarily specifically be authentic, I don't buy that.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't think you watched those first seasons of The Simpsons and think there was a lack of female of what you don't. It doesn't feel like it's coming across poorly by any means.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, And if there was something that you're like really doing the cultural episode about Jewish people or something else, then we like we did while and I we did, like fatherlike land about a rabbi. I went and talked to rabbis and I said, is this real? Would this happen? What are some things that I could use that are real from the culture, And so you do research from that, or you do research about Italians, or you do research about any other culture, and you try and you know, be as accurate as you can and bring forth things that people like. And it does help these days if you are doing something about someone from a certain culture that that person of that culture is on the writing staff, I think people feel better about it. But I don't think it's necessarily the only way to do it. I would recommend a diverse writing staff. But if you want, if I wanted to make a show about Inoit people, I still can do that. If I can't find an Inoit writer available to me who's really funny to hire on staff, I might be able to still do enough research to do them proud to make something that's true to into it.
Speaker 3: Write what you know is very reductive, but you've got to add write what you want to know as well.
Speaker 1: Well. The worst thing every starting out writer rates is it's about a play, right, trying to figure out how to write a play, and like, I want to shoot myself every time I read that first draft the writer's first thing, and it's very authentic to who they are. It's like, it's just boring and and cliche. So, yeah, what give me something more interesting?
Speaker 2: You're talking about the success of The Simpsons sort of was a part of the fact that you guys had this underdog mentality of what desn't to fail? When you realize that you weren't going to fail that this is arguably the biggest show on television. Did the mentality shift in the writer's room? Did the vibe change? What was it like?
Speaker 1: I mean, we were shocked, we were thrilled and shocked. We were having fun, so it meant, oh, we'll get to make more. This is fantastic. We get to make more fantastic. And further, people were liking the jokes, were like, what was making us laugh must be making some other people laugh. So that's very life affirming to us. So that was great. So we wanted to continue making really funny shows that people would like. I'll tell you about the end of the first year or season two, we got a polling some data from Fox who said, you know, because we thought people love our our insightful wit and all the detailed jokes and the references to Kirker Guard and to you know, Citizen Kane or whatever and all this, and Fox gave us data that suggested that the reason people liked The Simpsons was the pretty colors and that people fall down. It was like, fuck, you like that, that's it, and it's true. Then the pretty colors and people fall down is happening while we're making fun of Kirkerguard. So it's okay, but it was very frustrating to think, oh no, We're spending all this time to think of the greatest references and use all these things from pop culture and it doesn't matter. But I guess it does ultimately matter. It did. I think the reason the show survived for that long is it mattered. And those other cartoons do the same thing. If a family guys all references and South Park is all pop references, So I think we're not alone.
Speaker 2: Who were you writing it for. We're running it for the younger audience or the older audience. You yourself are for ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't think young people or actually kids should be watching the show. It was definitely not made for kids, so we asked kids not to watch it. Of course that fell on on deaf ears because it's a cartoon. What of course kids are going to watch it. So we kept doing things as if kids weren't watching it, and eventually we had to realize kids are watching it, and we have to watch what we say and what we do. But we were literally exclusively writing it for ourselves.
Speaker 2: But there were some dark themes in that first season, Like you said, Homers Odyssey, Homa is going to commit suicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we were trying to we were something dark.
Speaker 2: That's one of the darkest episodes in the history of the show.
Speaker 1: I agree. We just we just started out to go and start start with a.
Speaker 2: Bang, yes.
Speaker 1: Uh, and go from there.
Speaker 3: Having said that, Jay, I mean, I personally just wanted to give you a shout out for Old Money, an episode that you that you and Wally right, I mean, dignity on dignity on me, is one of my favorite lines from any movie or TV episode. Ever, as far as.
Speaker 2: I'm concerned, he's not bullshiting. He mentions it on the podcast all the time.
Speaker 1: I have no idea if I wrote it or somebody else wrote it, but I thank you on behalf of the many people who could have written it.
Speaker 3: And it's not necessarily aimed at a youthful audience one moment, our.
Speaker 1: Shows weren't aimed. It aimed at anybody but ourselves for the most words. And so, but aging isn't It is a real thing, and dying is a real thing. And you know all that. It's it's uh, gambling is a real thing. Uh, it's all, it's all, It's all there.
Speaker 2: When it came to the pop culture references you would be making, though, was there a quite of how popular it had to be or was it just something you knew You didn't care, you were writing the show for you. It's going in if you thought it was funny, and James thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: We.
Speaker 1: Uh, it had to pass the muster of the room, like we thought enough enough of our audience would know it should that should be the rule. Not nobody knows it shouldn't be so niche that only John Ved knows it. It should be. It should be enough that enough people understand either the context through context or the specific to get the joke. So yeah, it couldn't be just anything. And it had to make a room full of nerdy you know, I don't know how many there were anytime. Maybe start out with seven of us and grew to be twelve or something, but it had to make most of us laugh.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing. Even if you're not one hundred percent familiar with The Godfather Part two or Yellow Submarine, you know, the Beetles, you know enough about American cinema, enough people know about these kinds of things that these gags in last aeg. Of Springfield are gonna land. They're gonna hit to some degree or to bearing degrees with bearing members.
Speaker 1: I mean, I felt pretty safe with Godfather references. This is one of the most seen movies of all time, and certainly back then, maybe less so now.
Speaker 3: But getting him as granular as making him like Don Ferucci, and you know, he's sort of grabbing stuff off there, heaus off cards and all things, and well the band all that's kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In saying that, though, I grew up in the nineties. I was born in eighty eight, so as a kid, I literally had no idea what was going on here. I didn't know who the Godfather. I didn't know. I didn't get the Batman reference with the mirror, right, I didn't get any of this stuff. It's too young, right, but you knew but it was funny enough you knew it was something.
Speaker 1: It's like what kids do when they do six seven now. It's like they're laughing at something but they don't know what it is. Yea, And that's fine, But that's not as satisfying to me as a writer as people laughing at something that they know what it is. So I would rather they recognize Don Ferucci and think that's really funny that that's what we're doing, rather than just say it's something. Now. When I grew up, I read now magazine parodies of movies I'd never seen, and at least i'd read them all. I saw Looney Tune cartoons, Warner Brothers cartoons, also talking about movies. Henry Bargat movies The Petrified Forest or something I also never seen, and so I understood what humor could be from context. But when I got older and knew the reference, they were better, So I think I think they're better when you know.
Speaker 2: But I think the Simpsons My point was sort of more that I think the Simpsons introduced a whole generation of us in the nineties to these pop cultural icons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm the point is the same for the for the World Looney Tunes, and for Mad Magazine. Like I'm going to go see Lawrence of Arabia because I read it in Mad Magazine and okay, what that movie came out in nine sixty three. I was not alive. So it's like, I'm gonna I'm gonna see that because I read the parody and I'm going to try and figure out what that song is that Frank Jacobs is doing a parody of. I'm reading it, so I like, what's that? What's the real song? So it inspires me to go look for better references in my.
Speaker 2: Life with Last Exit the Springfield. So the idea I've read, I've read that that of the plant going a strike came from Mike Reese. Is that that's correct? Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, Mike said, so I don't I don't know that that's true, but okay.
Speaker 2: But what were your thoughts when you were first pitched this idea or was it was it an idea that you and Wally came up with, Like, how how did this come about? This, this particular story.
Speaker 1: I mean I think they they may have said we want to do a strike episode. Yeah, that may have. That may have been discussed first. So, I mean, I have no reason to doubt Mike Grease. I mean, he's a goddamn liar about everything else.
Speaker 2: But that's one thing you never went on. That submarine never happened exactly.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean it could be, but that that that seems like a very reasonable story. Like Homer's Odyssey is basically very almost a strike like an episode. It's the Homer Homer almost takes down the plant because he's a safety inspector. So it's similar to that.
Speaker 2: It's almost like an origin story that episode for Homer, isn't it. Yeah, how he comes to safety inspector? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right. But also there's a you know, we had been on strike, the writers. I had been at least one strike by the time we're doing the last exit episode, and my father had been on strike many times. So I was very aware. We're very pro union family, you know, I was Writers Guild WGA member before I was born, and so it's like, you know, I'm a member. I'm literally a member of now five or six unions. So like I'm a big mean union guy, whether I want to be or not. And so we're we're we're fans of unions.
Speaker 2: It's not necessarily a funny concept, though, though the plant goes on strike and how do you approach this and go, how do we make this funnier?
Speaker 1: I would say that anything that's a dramatic subject is also a comedy subject. There's no subject that couldn't be funny, and I don't care what it is. It's anything. If it's like somebody's somebody's diagnosed with a deadly disease, if somebody is is trying to hunt for the murderer of his father. You can make anything funny if you choose to find the humor in any particular situation of the absurdity or the weirdness or all those things. But you do need a good story no matter what, And a good story means there's going to be real conflict and real drama at the heart of every story. When Homer invites the Daredevil, when Homer's afraid his kid is going to kill himself on a skateboard. That's not funny. You know, it's not funny. It's real. It's like you're worried that your kid is he is getting the wrong message from daredevils and putting his life in danger. There's nothing funny about that. However, we could make it funny by pointing up the absurd level of things and how kids don't really understand things that are dangerous, and the idea that there's a popular guy who jumps over things is ridiculous too. So like if you just highlight put a spotlight on the stupid of America or culture in general, you'll find what's funny. And there's plenty to put a stoplight to put a spotlight on. Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the story of Framed. In another way, it's a bolshie union organizer versus a capitalist big wig. These two butting heads. They've both got very different drives, different desires, except guy one of them's absolute dumbass, right, So.
Speaker 1: Like an idiot, an idiot and an evil guy fighting with each other couldn't be funny because you're extreme characters, even though the situation you know, healthcare, salary, dignity at your work. Those are all not necessarily funny things, but that's not the center of the center of the story is the conflict between characters. And if those characters funny and they have funny motivations and they do funny things, then it can be very funny.
Speaker 2: We're also talking on the emotion as well, and the drive for Homer to do this in the first place is because he wants best for his daughter. That's why he's doing all of this. So and he's sort of all he's doing is big thing, but he's oblivious to it all. And I like the fact that you have the scene just to set up the fact that Burns doesn't remember who he is, so you can have all those moments where Burns is oblivious to the fact that Homer's just a blue idiot as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I you know, at a certain point it got so stupid for us, even when it says, like Homer Simpson, who is he like? Good? That that joke. We never got tired of that joke, even though it was ridiculous. So I don't know, Yeah, he should be Homer, Marge, the Simpsons family should be on the forefront of mister Burns's mind because he's dealt with them so many times. But in our little universe, he doesn't care about the little Man, so he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Whenever we talk to Matt Salmon, he always says that each episode should be viewed in its own vacuum, that you shouldn't worry about what comes before. But I think that there has to be some sort of element of continuity, like you're saying, there where Burns probably at this point should know who Himer is.
Speaker 1: Matt Matt. Matt needs to work in a vacuum. Matt is required. You can't do eight hundred episodes and be really worried about the seven hundred and ninety nine that came before you. Yes, we were on the episodes twenty yeah, forty, very reasonable number than not to be aware of what the universe was for that show. Then it gets into the hundreds, forget about it.
Speaker 2: When The Simpsons became a success, did you feel off the success yourself?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I mean I've Here's the thing. Everybody, every writer, every actor, everybody I know, we all feel like impostors anyway. We all feel like we don't deserve the success. That we the success that happens to us is dumb luck. And you know, the really good stuff was written by other people or other actors, and there are many more talented people who aren't working and all that stuff is all true. So when you wander through the world knowing that you're just a dumb idiot who got lucky, then when something you're working on is very successful, you go, yes, I got lucky. This is fantastic. And then I don't know if you think, boy, it's because of my genius. I think you just think I'm working with really funny, smart peace people and I should just shut up and let everybody make my work look better. And and I think that's true of most writers and most creative people. It's part of us that thinks were fantastic and a part of us that thinks we're just you know, playing playing game here and hoping that no one discovers us. So when the Simpsons became popular, I was all all in on enjoying the ride. I knew that there was not going to be things like this don't happen. I knew that I've been grown up in show business. I knew things like this don't just happen. You don't get on the show that people are selling T shirts on side of the road, bootleg T shirts. Just it's like I had seen Star Wars happen. That was like Star Wars. Everybody knew who Star Wars, everybody knew what The Simpsons was at that moment, and it was crazy to be in the center of it. But I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Did James and Matt and Sam. Did they let you guys the rotting stuff, let you guys know how important you were to the cog, to the system, or do they want you to sort of feel like you should be thankful to be here, or do they make you feel like you are part of this You're you're part of the reason.
Speaker 1: Yes, they constantly said that we're knuckleheads who are lucky to be there, and then every now and then said we couldn't do the show without the great writers. So like it would, they would go back and forth all this stuff and what they You know, Jim, Jim believes in writers and writing for sure, Sam does too, Matt does too. I mean, everybody believes in it. But at the same time, it's just like we're just all knuckleheads anyway. I mean, we really were dumb kids. I mean nerdy, smart kids, but idiots in our own way. And so it was a very motley crue. At the very least.
Speaker 2: We've asked this question to several of the key writing staff of The Simpsons, But did you yourself? Have you ever reflected on and gone I kind of wish I didn't leave.
Speaker 1: Now I'm really glad I left. I was tired. I was working for five years, no real vacations, nos, NonStop. I'm mining childhood stories after childhood stories. It's starting to get feel the same. And I got a chance to go work for something else and get paid a shit ton of money, So like, all right, well and go on the next adventure. Like part of the thing about being an artist is and again I say the word artists knowing that I'm an idiot, but that's fine. Like part of the journey of trying to lead a creative light is to experience new things and to try new things and put yourself in world of change. And at least that is for me. And that was exciting to try and do that and make our own show. That was an opportunity to make our own show. We spent three years trying to make our own show. We were unsuccessful, but that was fun to try and do too. We learned lessons on how to do it well and some things we didn't want to repeat, and I wanted the opportunity to do it myself. And I've eventually got those opportunities. But it takes branching out and trying new things.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's important as an artist to never be comfortable.
Speaker 1: Financially, artistically comfortable.
Speaker 2: How comfortable in a sense of you know you've got this gig, you don't have to leave, they're not getting it rid of you.
Speaker 1: Yes, even if you work forever, if you're Al Jean or Matt Sellman and you work on this show and you know you're not going anywhere, it's one of the things. You're still uncomfortable because every episode is tough, and every story breaking is uncomfortable, and there's always going to be days where you're spending like staring at each other saying we can't break the story and this joke doesn't work. Discomfort comes with the process, So I don't think we have the manufactured discomfort to be a good artist. It's part of the process.
Speaker 3: Figuring me if this sounds like an absolute rookie question, Jay, which it is. But I mean, I'm always curious about the term breaking the story. What exactly do you mean by it?
Speaker 1: So breaking the story is a term for coming up with a good story. So you come up with an idea, and maybe the idea is that the plant goes on strike, but that's just an idea. That's not the story. The story. Why does the plant go on strike? And why does and how is Homer involved? And what does Homer do to make it work and make it worse? And what happens when that gets is worse? And what are the what are the details of the story to make it worthwhile? And those details are called breaking the story. And they called it sounds violent because it is kind of violent. Breaking it is really sort of figuring out, like breaking out a pony, Like we're gonna we're gonna tame it and make it into something that we liked, that's understandable and that makes sense, and it's surprising and it's interesting and all those things. And to be all those things is really hard, and it takes a lot of really creative minds to make good ones, and you it's easy to make bad ones. Actually it's not easy to make it. It's still hard to make bad ones, but it's hard. The whole process is hard. So that's why I bring and story is the hardest part of the whole job. Every everybody will tell you that jokes are easy. Story is hard. And figuring out what the story is going to be and making it one that you haven't seen before and one that you don't know exactly where it's going, and one that's having fun interesting stops along the way. That's a hard thing and that's what you have to choose to really dedicate yourself to do. And that's what you know. Really great shows are based on having really good storytellers.
Speaker 2: Did you know this was going to be your last episode last day at Springfield when you were writing it?
Speaker 1: H I think so. I think we knew that it was going to be our last episode because we had signed a deal of some kind, although there was always an opportunity to come back and write another one at some other point in time. But no one has ever asked us.
Speaker 2: So you went part of the Simpsons movie or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, the people who were on the Simpsons movie were people who were working on the show at the time.
Speaker 2: I thought they brought some of the original Rode back for that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean that George was still there and I was there, Mike was there, still consulting capacity, like all those people were kind of still in the orbit. But maybe they just hate us.
Speaker 2: Possibly could be they just said you're but uh, the thing is because I'm watching this knowing it was your last episode, and rewatching it for the for this, and it's it feels like there's just so many jokes cranny. Obviously that was just how The Simpsons worked. But I just didn't know whether it was the idea of We're just gonna cram in as many ideas as we had, because it was like a last Hurrah kind of mentality.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's it. I just think that's what the Simpsons was. Like, We're just jamming ideas and jokes and ideas and jokes and ideas and jokes and having some sort of heart in the center of it that that makes sense, and some some you know, father daughter loving situation going on, and you know, and and Lisa's idealism going on. Like we had some legitimate things in the episode, but mostly it was just like how many jokes. Can we tell what can we make if it's funny? Uh, and let's be as funny as we possibly can. But that was every episode of the Simpsons we ever made. Was that was trying to be?
Speaker 2: That was it? Did you have sort of a time limit of how long was too long? With add a gag of some kind?
Speaker 1: Uh, it's to taste. So like, for example, the joke where Lisa needs.
Speaker 2: Uh, dental plan Lisa needs brices.
Speaker 1: Right, dental plan Lisa needs braces. It just goes back and forth a lot of times what we wrote, what I wrote this, that particular joke I wrote. I think I did it on four pages long, maybe five, just back and forth of that that joke. I thought that joke Coo would stand forever, like I found. I felt there was a joke that would go laugh at first, then it's like why does it keep going? And then laugh again? Oh my god, it's keep going, and then laugh again. And I thought it could stand a really long time, and it wound up being thirty seconds maybe, But I my original thought was two minutes.
Speaker 2: You know, it was always just dental plan lace and these prices or is there other No?
Speaker 1: I think that was it. I just Devil Brown lacing these braces. Maybe one other thought in the middle, but I don't think so. It was really just that back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, simple back and forth, showing basically how stupid Homer is.
Speaker 2: Is that why you break it up with the pencil down the butt crack, just to sort of separate it a bit, because you thought more will the audience be able to stick it out this long?
Speaker 1: Or I don't remember. I think maybe the butt the pencil and the butt crack wasn't mine. I think maybe that's something that you'd l add it in. But I just thought it was really funny to just be stuck in that moment.
Speaker 2: Because the Simpsons hadn't really done that up to this point. I don't think we're just dragged and dragged and dragged.
Speaker 1: No, that it's funny. It's new, it's a new thing, but it's where it's not new that Homer is an idiot. That's not new. It's what new ways can we show his idea?
Speaker 3: I must admit watching that scene, I was just before the pencil went into the butt crack, I was like, the stretch this out. I can feel it's not reaching breaking point, but I really got some stretch on it now, right, And then yeah, there was that break and then it resumed. So yeah, how.
Speaker 1: Long How long should a joke go? It depends, like you do. You make it, and then you see it and then you edit it, and then you see it again, and then you edit it and then you see it again. And sometimes it works, and sometimes it's it's too long, like when when Homer fell down the cliff in bark the level. How long how long should he go? You know, long enough long?
Speaker 2: And then go and then do it straight away again. Able.
Speaker 1: My favorite jokes of all time is the if any joke I've ever written in my whole life, it's that whole sequence is my favorite thing I think I've ever written.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that the ambulance hit in the tree that's right in front of it.
Speaker 1: It's daisily stolen. It's buster keating jokes stolen. But you know what steal from the grates.
Speaker 2: That's right? Yeah. Well, this episode here last Sex's springfield like dental plan Lese and these braces. It spawns so many icon now Simpson's memes, so many moments have turned into memes. You've got where's my burrito an onion into my belt. You know, the Big Book of British Smiles. How does it feel for you when you say an idea that you and Whally wrote thirty plus years ago get a new lace on life through the main culture.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm an old man, so memes mean nothing to me. What do I care about? Me?
Speaker 2: Means everything to us?
Speaker 1: Right, that's everything to you guys. But I like that jokes are in the culture. Those jokes will fade away from the culture. I've seen. I've seen people be very famous and then very unfamous things that were in the culture in the nineteen seventies when I was growing up. Now people have no idea about vice versa. Things will fade away. It's okay, it's fun that it's there. The Big Book of British Smiles is wal you wat erski joke. It's fantastic and I'm glad that it resonates because I don't know that that. I wasn't sure that all of the world knew how horrible British teeth.
Speaker 3: Were, but.
Speaker 2: That was that just sort of the stereotapt that it was mentality in the states of British people have terrible teeth.
Speaker 1: It's not just stereotype. It's true. At one time with the advent of sugar, when sugar was brought into England was colonizing everything they brought over sugar, and sugar started destroying English people's teeth in a horrible way. I think there was Terry Jones, one of the Python guys, talked about it that before sugar they dug up the remains of British people and their teeth were fine, and then after the advent of sugar, sugar started destroying people's teeth very quickly. So it's there was a period of time when just devil care was not great and people, British people's teeth were particularly awful. But I think that's true.
Speaker 3: It feels like you walked so Austin Powers could run.
Speaker 1: Exactly well Austin Powers. I mean, if you're a fan of Elvis Costello, as I was, he did have great teeth for a while, and then he had great teeth after he got some money. So like, I don't know, it happens.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Austin Powers, I just want to sidetrack for a little bit. But script doctoring it seems like one of the coolest jobs in the world. And you seem to have got your fair share of credits or not credits in that regard, including the Austin Powers movies. I'm just wondering how you got into it, how it works, and maybe the punch up that you're most proud of.
Speaker 1: Wow. I mean, I really enjoyed working on The Nightti Professor with Eddie Murphy because I got a chance to work with him. That was really cool, and they were filming it while we're writing it, and that was really fun. Really, so that when you write a joke and they actually film it, is that, Oh, that's fantastic. Because I've done so many rewrites where you write a million jokes and then nobody it never sees the light of day. It's just script pages that go nowhere. The Austin Powers movies, I am. I can not take credit for Austin Powers. Austin Powers is Mike Myers. He's a genius. He's fantastic and if you whisper something to him and he like, then you know, you feel like a hero. But it's all Mike Myers and Mike smeers brilliance and and but I love working with him on on things and I respect his genius immensely. I like working on the Shrek movies.
Speaker 2: You big on You're big on building connections. Did did you get the Shrek gig? Because he built that connection through Austin Palace?
Speaker 1: I got the Shrek gig because I'm I'm yeah, knew Mike Myers. Yeah yeah, So like, yeah, I think some of it's too you know, guys, I don't want to say that it's not a meritocracy. It is a lot of it is having a dad who's a writer. Didn't hurt and uh get me. That got me the job at Gary Shanling show. That got me the gig. So connections matter, uh, and then you know, it helps if you can deliver once you get the opportunity. But you're gonna get more opportunities more people, you know. So I worked to developed relationships with people and sometimes they worked. They they they turned into jobs. Uh, sometimes they didn't. But that's all right. I like I like people in general, so it's it's all good.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at look at the guest list for your podcast. She was on the biggest Names in entertainment. It's it's incredible.
Speaker 1: The biggest names in entertainment, name the biggest Robert de Niro. I got him.
Speaker 2: But that means a lot of a lot.
Speaker 1: Of a lot of really good people come to my podcast. You've got the mine's called the Jake Cogan Experience. What's it's called? No, don't be alone with Jake Cogan? Yeah, no, if Brian Cranston comes out. But guy, these are people I work with. Mostly. There's a few people I didn't know came on the show that I love.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: Tony Shaloub I had never met and I always wanted to meet him. And I asked a friend or a friend, will you ask Tony Shaloub to be on the show, And they said yes, I loved it.
Speaker 3: You had the pad of guys on them. Sorry, this is probably gonna be cut out of the the interview, but I mean, uh, you had Shane Black and Fred Decker And I was like, oh my god. I was actually speaking to uh to Dano about Fred Deckert the other day and then all of a sudden his name comes up on your podcast. Oh I'm putting this aside to listen to you later on a loop.
Speaker 2: We're big love for We're big love for Ricochet the film.
Speaker 1: They're great, But what I really like about them is their friendship. So like that they they're true friends, and they're movie friends, but they're real friends and they talk to each other in a real way. And it's kind of cool to come up with people who all dream of being in the movie business and they all were in the movie business.
Speaker 2: It's a particular favorite moments of mine from this episode Last Sex at Springfield, where like Grandpa's rambling story, so that spawned the obvious time on into my belt. So when you're writting one of these scenes, how do you know when enough is enough? When it comes to Grandpa's rambling?
Speaker 1: You don't. You write it and then you edit it later, but you just go you go along. I mean, there's no the scripts. When we wrote a Stimpson script, we would generally write a seventy page long script and then the scripts would be cut down to a unreasonable forty pages. So like it still and forty pages is still crazy long for a show that size, but a lot of its stage directions and visual jokes and all kinds of stuff. But uh, we wrote long. We wrote long. I still to this day, I write long.
Speaker 2: It's probably just it's bet best to just wrote it out rather than just leaving and you want to write it, and they want to keep it, they can keep it, and.
Speaker 1: Then a lot of it's gonna be shitty, and so you're gonna cut the shitty parts. I always when I teach writings, you write stuff that is in your head. You go from this stuff that's good to this stuff that's good, and all the stuff in the middle is shitty. Just put them together, you know, it's like you can wrinkle in time.
Speaker 2: Do you think this ramble would have been lot three times as long then in the visual script?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure it was. I'm sure it was. And just like Homer's you know, dental plan Lisa in these Braces was more was twice as long as it was in the script as it was, and that you you just you write, what do you write? And then a wom full of really smart people go this is boring, or I don't like this, or let's this is the best part, or let's stuff you wrote. I have something even better, let's put that in, and then you do thank them very much, thank you, it's good, it's better. I'm glad it has my name on it, even though it's your joke. Thank you, And then you do the same for their scripts. But but that's that's just how it goes.
Speaker 3: It seems like so many funny people have the perverse urge to push a joke as far as it will go, almost push it into the realms of being unfunny, to see if they can do that circular loop of making it funny again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, that's a little bit of a comedy high wire act that who doesn't like it? If you're if you're a pro, you're gonna want to You're gonna want to push the joke, I think, and be willing to risk people scratching their head for a second before they laugh. That everybody hasn't know what's going on the whole time to ultimately get where you're going. It's good maybe if there's confused up until the point.
Speaker 3: I'm always reminded of uh, Norm McDonald at a roast for someone one. Yeah, he was basically just doing bits out of some how to do comedy from book from the ninety fifties or whatever the way. It's anodyne jokes ever, but delivering him in that inimitable Norm mcdng style, The audience just like absolutely baffled. They got no idea what's going on, and the comedians are just dying. They think it's the funniest thing they've ever heard in their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, listen, it's meta. It's a little bit meta, and that's that's funny too. So like you, if you're a student of comedy and somebody's doing playing with the form, you could appreciate that. You don't need to just like you don't need to know all the references to Godfather too, It's still okay to not know everything and learn it later.
Speaker 2: I think you want to bring up the Aristocrats too.
Speaker 3: On that note, I did, actually, yeah, I mean I've recently tried to explain the concept that the Aristocrats to Dando, but I may have messed it up. So as someone who was in the documentary the same name, what can you explain it? And what is the notion of the aristocrats joke? What does it mean to comedians?
Speaker 1: That is the ariscrats is just a joke. It's a dirty joke, really filthy joke that gives an opportunity for a anybody who's telling it to do their own version of the joke. So basically, it's like jazz, you have a template of something, but then you go off into your own solos and your own so it's it's the artistry of it is how you tell the joke and what you put into it, and how you make it your own, and how you make it specialized. And that's the beauty of that joke. That joke is not a great joke in and of itself. It's a it's a form. It's a joke form that a lot of people know that the best of the best can make brilliant just by how they play it.
Speaker 3: What's the best or the worst version of the Aristocrats that you've heard or who told it?
Speaker 1: Ah, the best or the worst version, I don't know. The worst version is probably whatever I said. But the best, I mean, Gilbert Godfried is pretty funny. Bob Saggot's pretty funny. I mean, their version, everybody version of the joke, so she's pretty intense. But the intensity the one the people go crazy in it. I'm very interested in it because it's not about the specifics of the joke and everybody getting a joke. It's the weird strange act. So they're they're describing a family that does a vaudeville act, a nightclub act, and the act is both morally repellent, disgusting, sexually deviant. Is everything that you could do in it that's weird. So it's what are you willing to talk about and say and describe? How gross are you willing to get? How you know? Are you willing are you willing to say the words exactly? Do you dance around the words? Do you what do you do to make your audience intrigued? So that's what it is. So, I mean, every every comedian has their own version of it, and it's the movie's worth seeing just for that.
Speaker 3: It's a good documentary. It's like a comedy rorschock test though the Aristocrats, isn't it?
Speaker 1: I guess so for some people. I find that most people don't storm out in a huff and go, oh, what's that? They get pretty quickly they get it's not it's not the gross stuff. It's we're watching comedians, you know, riff Is.
Speaker 2: It one of those stories and one of those gags where you start telling it with that and nets and you're gonna start telling it and if you know, you know, But if you don't know, you're like, what what the fuck's going on here?
Speaker 1: I suppose? I mean that's a lot of jokes to me. I mean, that's not My favorite jokes are not direct line jokes. My favorite joke, like my favorite joke. Uh, I'm not great at jokes, but my favorite joke that I ever tell is a guy goes out on his porch, sees a snail on his door doorframe, and he takes a snail and he throws it away and then goes back inside. Cut to six years later, there's a knock on the door. He opens the door, doesn't see anybody, looks down there's the snail and says, what the fuck was that about? So it's not nobody expecting the snail to talk. The guy didn't have any attitude when he threw the snail away, but it's like it's coming out of nowhere. But of course now suddenly you're seeing the snails point of view and.
Speaker 3: You're enjoying it.
Speaker 1: So like, why that's kind of a surprise you're seeing the snails point of view.
Speaker 2: Well, another favorite mode of mine from Last Eggs it was that the Hired goons right Crusher and Blow. I don't know why for some people everyone seems to love the hired Goons. Was it a joke that you guys wrote in there, or was that something was added later on the hired Goons?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't remember, I imagine I can. We love the phrase hired goons is just like henchman. Yes, also greed great phrase, no reason hired goons and henchmen. But we love it. They're old fashioned, old timey fashion things that we like.
Speaker 2: Also think it's one of those gags where it's not necessarily funny on paper, but it's the way Dan delivers hired goons. Did you ever write jokes that you thought, you know, we're writing because we know Dan c is going to be saying this. We know he'll make this work.
Speaker 1: I mean, no, just knew that they would make it work anyway. But so we did that wasn't It wasn't like, oh, well we have Dan Castlena or we have Harry Sheer. It's just like, is this gonna be funny? And then oftentimes those guys made it funnier. Yeah, So it's unlike, it's not like this is dependent on this person's read of this thing. It's sort of we're hearing a voice in our head. They often come up with a funnier voice.
Speaker 3: Having said that, talking about funny voices, I'd like to ask about the Let's get him tells a character m VP of this episode. One might say, uh, can you tell us about the I guess the shout out that that that that character is. Is it a tribute to uh anarcomic tripes of years past?
Speaker 1: Is it Droopy Dog Dog?
Speaker 2: Dropy Dog is the voice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get it Phil, that's the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Droopy Dog. But it's a Pana Bibarra character.
Speaker 2: He's so memorable. But he says about eight words and his entire existence. But you know every Simpsons fan and I know that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, uh no, I never did any voices on the Simpsons, but I was. I'm a big fan of all those guys. And when we did, when we pitched in the room, we pitched the voices of the characters. We tried. We pitched like mister Burns, we pitched Homer, and we pitched part We we modulated voices to to to activate the characters as best we can to give it, give the jokes their best.
Speaker 2: Shot, which Rody did the best Burns.
Speaker 1: Everybody had their own version of it. But I guess Sam's I think Sam Simon had the best Burns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, And if we are talking about favorite moments and we're gonna give a shout out to Quigly cross quickly sorry Quigly, I thought that was great. And also the Rimple of Monkeys with the thousand time rid Us, best of times, blurst of times, poor monkey getting slapped across the head and just going primal as a result. Yeah, that's a bit of a bit of a meme as well.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that was our joke, but maybe it was, I think, but it was a that's a great joke.
Speaker 2: You watched this though, and yes, it's a great story behind it. But it also does feel like there's a bunch of gags that these guys could exist in really any episode. They all work so well together here.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we're in Burns's mansion. We're in like we're in we're in his world. We get to do funny things about that, and and uh, you know, lots of episodes are in Burns's mansion, and certainly many many more have been since we did that episode, So I don't know, it's it's filled with Simpson law Simpson jokes. Uh, And again the audiences have voted that show as the best. It's not my favorite show, but I think it's really funny.
Speaker 2: I think it's great, and it's funny because I was telling Guy before we started recording Forgive Me. When I was a kid, this wasn't, by no means one of my favorite episodes. The older I got, the more I appreciate. But as a kid I was, this wasn't one that I gravitated towards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me neither. I didn't dislike it, but I was. It was one of those things we were just like, you know, all right. I thought it got a little sentimental, and I thought that the song it got bogged down by the song a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, for what reasons? You thought it sort of took away from the comedy or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just gotta get gets little quiet and serious around the song when she sings the song.
Speaker 2: So it's a very unseerious episode up to that point, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wrote a Bob Dylan protest song for her to sing and wound getting trimmed down to that.
Speaker 2: Oh so you've still got the full song like you could? You could play it for somebody.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I could. I mean, I haven't haven't been asked to in thirty years, but I'm taking fine, we're asking you now.
Speaker 2: So there is So there's a union Simpsons union song out there incomplete? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the style of Dylan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, this is.
Speaker 2: What we talked a lot, Josh Weinstein and whatnot. There's got to be a Simpsons museum, this kind of stuff. Simpsons fans want to say this ship do they?
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if you would never have said that. I've got the full song. We cut it back to like one verse, but you wrote a full song. People want to hear that.
Speaker 1: I guess. So, I mean it's it's you know, what's better is what the what the show was. I think what people really want to see is the show they like. They're they're the anciliary stuff around the show, Like I don't. I don't want to see the cars that weren't the Aston Martin, the James Bond cars that the prototypes of the cars that weren't as cool as the Aston Martin. You know, I'm going with what we saw.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I think I grew up in the era where you know, you had your behind the scenes documentaries, you had your audio commentaries. We want to know how these things were made. We've seen the show, we love the show, we'll watch it every day, but we want to see how it came together.
Speaker 1: But I'm assuring enough people read the version I ra said, this is not as good.
Speaker 2: All right, But did you ever have jokes that you feel easily could have made the show?
Speaker 1: But it was just all the time, got jokes that are that made the show, that that made this from the script all the way to recording, all the way in and still get cut out. But dah, you know you want your jokes to stay. But you know, either they get there, they get cut for time, or they get cut because they're ruining the character, or they're not part of they're not accurate for the story or what we're trying to mat No, that's fine. You know, as I got older, I was less precious with jokes and more with what the whole story says.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not the team thing. Well, there's a Rather than go through the entire episodes, a few key things I wanted to point out. So this episode kicks off with a clip from the McBain movie right with Mendoza unleashing the swank, you know, ten times more pout, more addictive than marijuana. Was that in your original script?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we had we had a McBain show.
Speaker 2: Did you guys, did you guys know the writers, Did you guys know that you were putting together essentially a McBain mini movie if you splice all those clips together, Like, was there a case of what did what happened in the last McBain scene? No, we had to carry over from that or is it just you're just writing your.
Speaker 1: Own No, they were just they were just parody movies at the moment.
Speaker 2: And it just conveniently worked out to be a mini movie.
Speaker 1: I guess so. I mean, I imagine if you put all the itching scratches together, you can make a mini movie too, But maybe there would be a boring movie. But it was like, I don't know, it's there. It's it's a parody of a type of thing that's real, and and uh, they they shouldn't. I don't think they're they're purposely connected. But I'm glad it's able to do.
Speaker 2: It because there's there's a home, there's a whole McBain law out there now where, like even McBain and Mendoza got their own line of action figures as a result recently.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, McBain there was an actual move a detective series called mc bain. There was like a movie. I used to work in a bookstore and they would sell McBain books. Uh so I think, uh we we owe that author some money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rotter at McBain absolutely, and there was a crystopal walking action movie called McBain exactly.
Speaker 1: So, I don't know it's it's it's really funny. I guess McBean's like Donald Schwarzenegger. And you know, any anything that's like a villain's like mcbern like and can have a cliche, a detective movie cliche. That's a McBain story.
Speaker 2: This this scene though, this one in particular, is really violent. I mean people are getting shot in the face and there's holes in their head. I watch this going how did this happen? How did this get through the.
Speaker 1: Hands of those movies? We watched those movies.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm I'm talking from Fox. How did Fox let this get through the television?
Speaker 1: It's cartoon cartoon.
Speaker 2: Some of the ship that I've heard that they wanted to not let you guys do and then this happens.
Speaker 3: Then a guy get shot in the head and drowns in the in the punch bowl. Holy Mullen.
Speaker 1: Violence was almost never the issue. It was usually sacks or language. Maybe then they one time they told us Homer can't say shove this license up your ass, but they said you could, We could say shove this license in your ass.
Speaker 3: And we said, okay, wow, romantics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you had you had the James L. Brooks low though, right where they really they could comment, but they couldn't really stop you from doing stuff. Is that right?
Speaker 1: That's the center can stop us. The sensor could stop us. Now. That was the only notes we ever took with sensor notes executive. We didn't get story notes from executives, but the sensor was able to say, we don't do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right. Anything else in particularly eats the definitely some one that you want to sort of cover.
Speaker 3: This is very immature of me, but I'm a big fan of the double entendres in the conversation between Burns and Smiths where I'm sorry, we're we're between Burns and Homer, where Homer thinks that Burns is coming on to Hi'm sure, I'm flattered. Maybe I'm a little curious, but the answer is no. It's like, don't go in for these back door snannigans. I'm sorry. I just thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too. I think they're really funny. I'm that is again another opportunity to make a funny joke out of what's a normal you know, negotiation or interaction, and uh, how fun is that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there's so many different degrees of humor throughout this episode, though. I mean, there's stuff that's kind of I won't say low brown, but I mean this stuff that is. But there's a lot of the stuff that's you know, nastly cynical, like and gets made the union delegates like, well, there's no jobs unpaid unless you have crooked woo. That's boblous.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm laughing at it. They're not my jokes. There's so many jokes. This show is filled with really funny things brought by so many different people, like, for example, the word onion around the belt, which was the fashion at the time. I don't think that's our joke. Who knows who Maybe George Meyer's joke. I have no idea, but it's really good and great. So we're we're the Wally and I are the beneficiaries of the genius minds of a lot of really funny people who worked on the show, and at that point was I guess Conan was there by then, and so it's Conan and David Stern and there's lots of other really funny writers who are working there at the time.
Speaker 2: You're great friends of kind of being on your podcast Bright episode one of my favorites. What was he like to work with? For you? Personally?
Speaker 1: I loved working with Conan. I was the loud, annoying guy at the Simpsons room until Conan showed up, and then he was the loud, annoying guy. So yeah, I was usurped by him and grateful that there's somebody even louder and more annoying than me. But he's an adorable guy, endless energy, super smart, super creative, and you can see how hard he works when you watch his shows or the Oscars or whatever. You know, he puts in maximum effort and it shows. It's not they doesn't hit all home runs, but you can see that he's really really trying.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a competitiveness in the Simpsons Wroders room.
Speaker 1: There's always a competitiveness in every writer's room because you want your joke to get in because you pitched it, not necessarily that guy's joke to get in, or that woman's joke to get in, if they ever led a woman in. But but you know, it's like you want yours to work because you want validation that your value and creative. But you also want the show to be funny. And so if somebody pitches something that's so much funny that we just pitched, you cannot help but just go laugh and go like that, that's great, that has to go in.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But I've worked in writers' rooms where people try to sabotage each other, and people try to shit on people's jokes and and make sure that they don't get in and that kind of stuff, And that's it's so antithetical to the process that we're trying to do make the best show possible. And and there are jealousies, and there are favorites on every writer's room and every and the favorites can change from time to time, So whoever's running the room suddenly likes this person. You know, it's it's it's hard to argue. Sometimes George Meyer was the well respected I think lampoon guy, Harvard lampoon guy, that Mike and Al and all v D and all these guys looked up to George when we showed up. That was already the dynamic with them. I didn't know George all that well, so I didn't look up to him. I didn't go to Harvard, I didn't have that Harvard lampoon stuff going on, So to me, he was just another shmo. But what he would say things people would look on him as with reverence that I did not understand. So it's like, okay, but you know, not everything George said was hysterical, but a lot of his stuff would get in because he was the perceived favorite. Now that being said, George is hysterical and a lot of what he says is really really good. But I think it's it's interesting how the social dynamic can lift some some material, sometimes over over what it really is.
Speaker 2: Accepting that another RATA on the same team has a funnier joke or has made georgejoke funnier. Being able to accept that, is that something you have to learn or is that just part of who you are is it? Can you learn? Can you learn to accept that?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you have to. I mean you have to. If you're the showrunner, you're begging for that. That's all you want is people to give top the other one. That's a funny joke. That's the funnier. That's funny. That's that's all you want. You want people to add and uh you build and add funding to it. So yes, if you're a writer and you're gonna be storm out of the room somebody else makes a funny joke, you're not gonna be very welcome there for very long. So you should learn, and you should appreciate it, and you should be grateful that person who wrote the funny joke that's going in the script is getting you home. You want to go home eventually, and that person is getting you home. So fantastic. I get to go home. I get to go you know, watch T watch TV at home.
Speaker 2: On the topic of George Mayer, there's a moment in this episode where they steal the diamond from Lenny's teeth and they say yoink. Now, apparently George Maya is the man who coined that phrase yoink, and no one seems to realize that that's a Simpson's word. Is that true?
Speaker 1: Was it, George? I mean, isn't this scooby Doo word?
Speaker 2: No, Apparently yoink was coined. That's that's the ship. That's that's the ship they called bullshit. Prevailing wisdom is that it's a Simpsons word. Yeah, you're everywhere online joints. I say, zoinks zoints.
Speaker 1: Okay, zoints. So zoinks and yoink don't get uh credit for each.
Speaker 2: Other because zoinks is sort of more like zoinks. I'm scared where yoink is to take something.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you guys are nuts. It's it's just a animal animal on a pia goofy word. It doesn't mean anything, and it's fun and I'm glad that it started on my on that episode fantastic. Great, but it's people look too closely sometimes at things and then and and they missed the forest for the trees. Yuick is a funny noise. Great, It doesn't mean much more than that. It's it's the same kind of thing where they Simpsons predicts the future like that, that kind of crazy bullshit. It is sort of like is missing the point is no Simpsons does not create predict the future. What happens is Simpsons has a lot of really funny jokes all over the place, and some of them weirdly come true. How aired is that? That's that's more amazing to me that if you did a million jokes and of the million jokes, forty of them came true. That's insane to me. That's crazy that the dumbest things you thought of at that time is actually what happens.
Speaker 2: That's what Salmon said. Salmon goes, we think of what's the craziest shit that could happen, and we'll be on tava long enough that have Unfortunately, some of it's not starting to come.
Speaker 1: True, right, And that's the perversity of fate. Fate chooses to extol the dumbest of our ideas and make it into reality.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Dr Wolf real quickly. Clint Eastwood and Anthony Hopkins initially approached Anthony Perkins actually cost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've also, oddly enough, I think we wanted Donald Schwartzenegger really, oh my gosh, because we had a German vibe to Doctor Wolf. But yeah, I mean a lot of people say no to the Simpsons all, at least back then said no to the Simpsons all the time, and probably now do too.
Speaker 2: But did I really even at that point when it was still so successful, they were turning it down. I know that Springsteen turned down the Well episode, but right already? But yeah, you know that story, right, I probably do, but please rate tell me all right.
Speaker 1: I think we were trying to get to hold of Bruce Springsteen to do the Well bid and sing the song Kid down the Well. And we can't get a hold of Springsteen, so we keep calling his manager, John Landau, who we now have seen famed in film Delivered Me from Nowhere. So we get a hold of him. He says, I can't get a hold of Bruce, like bullshit, all right, No, I think he'd like to do it. It's like you can tell us no, we have to move on, But no, no, I think he'd like to do It's well then, to find him and let us know because we have to move on. We're good recording this soon and okay, I'll do it. I'll do it anyway. That night, I go to the movies at a movie theater in Los Angeles said no longer exists, and guess who's at that movie theater. Bruce Springsteen and Patti Sciavola. They're at that movie theater and I see Bruce Springsteen across the hall, who we've been trying to reach for weeks. We can't reach him, and I go Bruce Springsteen joints and I uh, and I make a bee line for Bruce. And I'm wearing a Simpson's jacket. The Simpsons producer Jack you get it. There was a leather jacket, red, the red and black jacket that you got, producers. So I'm running up to him, to Bruce Springsteen, and then he sings. This fat guy running towards him and he's like, eyes mean, and he steps in front of Patty because he's a fucking hero, right, He does the one anything Heard.
Speaker 3: And then Clarence Clement stands in front of him.
Speaker 1: Well no, I stands in front and says, hey, man, it's like Bruce h I'm uh mister Springsteen, miss Springsteen. I'm so glad I caught you. My name is Jake Cogan, I'm a producer of the Simpsons. And I point to my jacket as if that's truly anything. We're selling T shirts on the freeway in storage and venice No one only a jacket means nothing. That the amount of merchandise come to the Simpsons is into the billions of dollars. So I said, we've been trying to get a hold of you. We can only reach your manager John about this thing that we're doing on the show. It's like doing a song for a girl in a well. It's really funny. And I was like, I just have to know if you would be interested, and he said, yeah, man, I really like to do it. I was like, he wanted to get the crazy fat guy away from him, so he said yeah, and he said no, and and then we never heard back from him or John Lenno ever, and then we just gave up and went to spring But I scared the shit out of Bruce Springsteen. I literally made Bruce Springsteen think he was going to have his sort of scary John Lennon moment. And you know, thankfully I don't carry a weapon, so that's good. But it's like, it's it's I'm I scared the boss.
Speaker 2: You'll lock on when Homer approaches the Oscaran truck when he's fat and he's got the moonmo and he's at the gossips and just take it all. I just take it all exactly.
Speaker 1: He just wanted to get me to get away. And I don't blame him. I don't blame in the least, but it was I just didn't not I'm so unaware of myself, and how would I would that I could be scary? The thought that I could be scary to anybody is shocking to me.
Speaker 3: What movie was it?
Speaker 1: By the way, God who cares? Movie theater doesn't exist. It was in a It's in Los Angeles. There was a place called the Century City entertained ABC Entertainment Center, and there was movie theaters and a Schubert Theater in there. It's all been knocked down. It doesn't exist anymore. So I can't imagine. I don't know what movie.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm picturing you Moore as Lenny, sort of a drunken Lenny, approaching the limousine and just giving the thumbs up to mister b.
Speaker 1: No. I was just like sweating, like I was acting like a producer, like I wanted him. I wanted the Springsteen to do it, and I was so excited.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, though, I sting turned out to be a fantastic choice in the for that episode. He worked out perfectly.
Speaker 1: I'm not shitting on mister Sting. I mean it's fantastic. He was great. He's fantastic, and he was great, and who's perfect for it and all the great And I bet I assume Springsteen has been on the show since then, So.
Speaker 2: No, he still hasn't.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I don't want to work with don't be alone with that guy. So he's like, and I don't, I don't want to work with that guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, well then he doesn't have to be anymore. I'm not there, but he does have to be on my podcast. So that's all right, I'll get I'll get Springsteen for the podcast.
Speaker 2: But you did have one guest on this episode who mocked herself Joyce Brothers. Oh smart line and in and out real quick. Yeah, it wouldn't even really called a guest appear. This just a cameo of anything, right, I.
Speaker 1: Think we didn't write it for a guest. And and and I think she called and said, hey, would I could, is there ever a spot for me on the show? And sure, yeah, I mean she she was very nice, and I mean she was very good also very famously good at marketing herself and constantly trying to be re up her cred and I guess getting on The Simpsons maybe helped your credit a little bit. I'm not sure. Maybe she's just a fan of the show. Anyway, she was great, very gracious. People are willing to make fun of themselves, are fantastic. Tony Bennett fantastic. I mean Tom Jones, we did. We had so many great people who.
Speaker 2: Were all of the celebrities that came in and just blew you away because you just weren't expecting him to be so open and lovely.
Speaker 1: Well Tony Bennett, I remember being just I was so thrilled to hear him sing the Capital City song on that was so and he was so great. You know, Joe Montagne was fantastic. It came back many many times.
Speaker 2: So you would you have worked with Kelsey before Frasier then?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I worked with him because on the I created the character of side show Bob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crusty gets busted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, of course, yeah, and so but also we worked it was a guest on the Tracy Ollman Show even before.
Speaker 2: Then, so I actually didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it was my job to roust him out of his trailer because he was so drunk and high or whatever he was that I had to sort of like shake him away and say it's time for a rehearsal. Uh. You know, he cleaned up his years later. But what's remarkable was as stoned as he was and whatever he was taking when he went on stage, he was fantastic. Immediately great, snapped to it, did a scene perfect, line perfect, and then went back to his trailer and fell asleep.
Speaker 2: The ultimate professional.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so before we let you go though, So this is obviously a mister Burns episode. I love the animation of Burns at the end when he listened to them singing, he looks like the Grinch? And whatnot?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: What was it? What was Burns's one of your favorite characters to write? Is such an enjoyable character to watch? Was he an enjoyable character?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: WHILEY and I get credit for creating mister Burns, we created mister Burns and Smithers.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm as honesty of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very nice script for it. So I have a special love for him. When what we wrote wasn't what tears. He was developed by everybody and by artists and by everything to become the excellent guy that he was. But our first version was just evil boss, but he became very evil and very funny. I love mister Burns and I loved the relationship with Smithers, you know, and we when we developed Smithers, we definitely wanted Smithers to love mister Burns in all the ways that he loves mister Burns.
Speaker 2: I need you to settle this for so, Yes, playing at home, did you write Smith's to Bean African American?
Speaker 1: Yes? Really he was black and gay?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, then, but there we go, finally settled because the people always go, oh, it was an animation era, but no, he was, you know, he.
Speaker 1: Was black and gay. And they decided, we we all decided Jim Brooks and whoever was he couldn't be both. Why why make the one black character gay? Also because I can't choose choose the same thing with doctor Hibbert. Doctor Hibbert was a woman was Julia Hibbert, And they said why a woman an a black so diverse too much? And so I was named it after Julia Sweeney, the actress, the comedic actress, and her married name was Julia Hibbert, and I named the character after.
Speaker 2: That's where doctor Hibb comes from. There you go, we learned something every day.
Speaker 1: And Julius Hebert and then when we went up against Bill Carsby, it was perfect foil to make fun of Bill Carsby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there we go. Well, and you also created Kanye and Cotis. You guys essentially are the reason we got Treos of Horror because I know Matt pitched the idea kids tell Us to Ghost Stories in the Treehouse, but you guys sort of went, that's a great concept. We can run with this.
Speaker 1: We supported the idea in a place when a lot of people didn't want to support it, but we supported it and we liked it. And yes, man Greening gets credit for that thing. We get credit for saying that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, though, that's arguably the episode that everyone really still looks forward to this day. It's the Halloween episodes. Say what you will at the Simpsons. You know, I still enjoy the Simpsons, My kids like watching the new episodes and put it on from Disney Plus has been a great thing for discovering the new episodes again, particularly for the younger audiences. But you know, even if someone doesn't necessarily watch the Simpsons anymore, they'll still keep up with the Halloween ones that's been the mainstay.
Speaker 1: Think they're fun. I think it's so much fun. It's also you know, they're standalone. They're fantastic. Usually it's a parody of something that's cool that's happening at the moment. You know, it's I agree, they're a lot of fun, and they're fun to write. They're really fun to write because they're a little ten minute cartoons. You know, it's it's uh, yeah, everybody wins, we all want we loved it, they love it. It's all good. They've been a few shitty ones, but mostly they're pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes the parodies aren't great. But when you're doing those first Treas of Horror episodes, things like the Raven, did you think the kids would have any idea what's going on there? Or did you just not care?
Speaker 1: No? And I think that's one of the bad ones. Like I honestly no, I don't think it's any good at all. Sam. The only reason we did Trias of Horror, the reason the reason we got Sam Simon to agree is that we told him you could do the Raven. They went oh. He hated the idea up until he heard we could do the Raven. And then he did his version of The Raven, which is fine. It's Edgar and Poe, it's it's educating. I feel like it's more educational. I feel like it's something that that and then and that bums me out because I don't need education in my Simpsons cartoons. But we had James old Jones fantastic reading it, and uh I got to meet him and that was fun when we we did it before he did his his The Raven, you know, giant plate of chocolate chip cookies. It's like, what are you doing? Don't you have to have a clear throat to do? What do you do? Is no, And he was chomping down and chopped the two cookies, and then he started doing the Raven.
Speaker 3: Just passing a box of chips. A hoy, what.
Speaker 1: What's going on? But uh, I think to me, the the the tanging codos, you know, to feed Man parody. I think it's not just because we wrote it. I just think it's much funnier and it's that's better. And I and and there's Frankenstein one that's good. That is one of the Amityville Horror in that same episode. That's better. I just think they're better. But you know what, Sam Simon loved him. He wanted to educate the world and he did. And it has jokes in it. It does have jokes in it, It's just not immediately as funny as the other ones.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, like you said, you got to please the boss to get what you get to do what you want to do as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, you always have to please the boss.
Speaker 3: Yes, some guests.
Speaker 2: All right, finally, before we let you go, he's you want to ask more question?
Speaker 1: One more? All right?
Speaker 3: I'm taking the internet's word for this, which is a fool's errand. But apparently you were voted most likely to drop his pants on a dare in high school. It's raises the question, how are you responsible for the will drop pants for food? Gag? And Krussy got canceled.
Speaker 1: I don't remember being most likely to drop my pants in high school. I don't think that's true, although had somebody asked me to drop my pants, I would have for a dare or for for the comedy value of it. I used to do anything for a joke.
Speaker 2: Is that tiring after a while?
Speaker 1: Yes, there's a lot of energy. You've got to use a lot of energy being always on, being always on. But also I like it, and as I said, my dysfunction with my father made me want to really be funny all the time. So it's okay. But no, I don't think my ability or willingness to drop my pants has anything to do with that joke of the show. Okay, I think that's just funny.
Speaker 2: The final question we always ask people, and I said, you said, you don't prepared anything, but you can do it because you are J Cogan. But the question is, it's nineteen ninety eight. Fox have asked you to put together a five episode Friday Night Simpsons marathon. Which episodees are you going with? And what are you starting with? In particular, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna start with the seventh episode, which was the Christmas episode, which became our pilot. I'm gonna start with that because it was so successful right out of the gate, people loved it, fantastic. I'm gonna follow that up with Like Father, Like Clown because and I'm gonna follow that up with Barth the Daredevil, and I'm gonna follow that up with Old Money, and I'm gonna follow that up with last exit to Springfield. And the reason why I pick all those other ones is because I get residuals, and so I want the money. Baby, They're all cod I want to ask you written not the best ones, but the ones I get paid for.
Speaker 2: So okay, the residual still exist with the Simpsons, you guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, we get money. We get money from the show is sold all over the world. It's also we get a fraction of a fraction of a penny when they played on Disney Plus, so we get some money.
Speaker 2: So do you just have like a three laptops going constantly on your episode.
Speaker 1: Kids Got to Eat Man Charlie Cogan. Charlie Cogan, who is a uh is a very funny musician, not funny talented, talented, talented musician, singer, songwriter. Charlie Cogan. He is a genius. But you know, I need I need to make some residuals to get more band members for him. And oh this is his sad this is music stage.
Speaker 2: Here before when you were talking about was that a band set up?
Speaker 1: That's yeah, this is my son's music recording studio and so h Charlie Cogan kog and listen to his music. Tell me if you like it, tell me if you don't like it. I want to hear because we're he's making about to make a new record, so I want to hear what people think about his music so he can adjust to the audience.
Speaker 2: We'll chuck the links in the description. We'll chut the links in the description of this podcast. But speaking of podcasts, plug yours one mole time before we let you guys there there it is.
Speaker 1: Don't okay Cogan, that's my podcast. I usually have a guest on and we talk about my problems and we can we can really get into solving my problems and learn about our guests. And often it's a comedian, it's a writer, it's an actor, it's an artist of some kind. Sometimes it's a grief specialist, but not always. It's always somebody who's interesting to me and hopefully interesting to you. But listen to don't be along with Ja Cogan. But more than listen to it, subscribe to itsri You never listen to it, just subscribe to it. Don't you the same thing on your show? Right? You need subscribe, like and subscribe, You not like and subscribe, but subscribe, Just subscribe. What does it cost? You nothing, just subscribe.
Speaker 2: The thing is and he's had Matt Groening on the show, a man who you know very rarely does podcast episodes.
Speaker 1: But you know it's only done too as far as I know, Mark Maron and me, that's.
Speaker 2: It because he gave us the Springsteain treatment. So you know he said, I love to be young. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't do it. He doesn't do it much. I just contacted him on Saint Patrick's Day. I uh, I called him to wish him a happy birthday, even though his birthday is Valentine's Day, but always Saint Patrick's Day reminds me that.
Speaker 2: I'll think you're getting Jay. It's been an absolutely hona.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed it. Guys, and you're not you know you ossies. Aren't the dicks everybody say you are? You know what? You're sweet, nice, lovely people with a good heart. I like it. I want to go. I want to go to Australia. And where if I go to Australia, where should I go?
Speaker 2: It depends?
Speaker 3: Why are you coming?
Speaker 2: He's coming for touristy shet. Are you coming to enjoy Australia?
Speaker 1: I want to absorb the culture. I want to sort of figure out what's cool about the place. I want to be able to come back and say I want to go back there again.
Speaker 2: I recommend a little town called Jeloon. That's where I'm from, so Bally. For culture, i'd go to Melbourne, which is a capital city. You just want to do the touristy stuff like the opera house and the bridge and what everyone thinks is that's Sydney.
Speaker 1: I will fly over that stuff, I'll see it, but I want to know what, like the great food is, or the great music or the things that make it special.
Speaker 3: That's Melbourne. But if you want a unique astrayant experience, maybe head up north, go far north Queensland and the Northern Territory.
Speaker 2: To get your beaches and your outbacks and your whatnot.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, all right, and the animals that will kill you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm afraid of that.
Speaker 2: Plenty of those, We are lots of them. You get used to them, yeah, yeah, just be nice to them. They'll be nice back.
Speaker 1: Best way to protect yourself from a kangaroo.
Speaker 2: Well, don't try and act tougher than it, because they are always tougher than you.
Speaker 3: Right, the kangaroo will it will out out for you.
Speaker 1: The pouture of a kangaroo is disgusting.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, very very mucusy, Yeah, reportedly, so I go. And funny, I learned that from the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: I just learned get recently too, so I know maybe from the Simpsons, but just how discussed because you think it's so cute in there but it turns out no, it's disgusting.
Speaker 2: It's where babies live and that ship. Yeah no, good, Thank you again, Jock, Thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: This isn't a pleasure. I really enjoyed this. I hope you edited so that don't seem like moron