Speaker 1: It's nice time with Dan on WAZ Boston.
Speaker 2: How they get it out of this system? It's it's nine to one, you know. That's okay, Well, get him tomorrow, get him tomorrow, Al no doubt.
Speaker 1: We always have the Celtics.
Speaker 2: Well, that's okay, that's okay. I know that we'll focus on. Our focus will be in the Celtics. We'll right about the Bruins in the summer and Red Sox will well, I'll give Alex Corra Carlton. I don't give him a little pep talk. I'm sure that yeah, that'll that'll help. Oh, I'm sure sure. Thanks appreciate it. All right, everybody, we are changing topics and want to welcome Mark Philbin. Mark Philbin, welcome, How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Damn? How are you good?
Speaker 2: Mark's a project developer for charlie Ian Renovations out of Cambridge. They do what's called residential design build and we're going to explain that and if you have any questions about, you know, doing some substantial work in your home. We've never had someone who's a project developer on before, so Mark. We like to sort of give people something positive to think about. We spend most of the week, the ninety percent of the week arguing about politics or dealing with serious issues like we did last hour with an innocent man spending fifteen years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. So we like to kind of exhale here and focus on happier things. And there's nothing that is happier than when people do some work at their home and make the home more comfortable, more livable, and in some respects I guess, more modern. So tell us first of all, tell us about Charlie in renovations out of Cambridge. It's been around I guess since what the late seventies, early eighties. You folks have quite a reputation and you confine your work to the great Boston area. You you really are people who want to do a good job. From what I understand you've got You've got some great some great references from people that I've talked to. So you can brag a little bit about the company. It's uh, it does some great work. Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Well, we do a large part of what we try to do. It's not just the end result of the project. That's the entire process, uh, which we the design build process has us as the remodeler in on the ground floor. We like to take the project from really from its inception, you know, all the way to a you know, feigns pick job book, right to the completion of the job. So we do a lot of handholding with the clients. We try to help with the design. We work with the architect and the homeowner together and uh and that we think actually is what makes for better project experience. It's not just the end project, it's the whole process. Working in people's home is is pretty traumatic, as you can imagine, tearing apart your kitchen and your bathrooms, sometimes half your house. So that's easy thing to live through. And so a large part of it we do is to try to develop the project properly in a way that makes that as smooth as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the first question anyone who has lived in a house for you know, more than ten years and someone says, oh, gee, you know, the bathroom's looking a little shabby, or the kitchen needs to be updated, or maybe we've got to do some work and maybe expand something or develop a family room, whatever, whatever the project might be. How do you do that? So people? Do people have to move out for like three or four months, or how do you work around them so that they can live their lives and not have to evacuate the home.
Speaker 4: Well, we've done it, you know, both ways. We've done remodels of course that are on a scale where people do have to move out. They just can't live there, no bathrooms, no kitchen, and so some people who actually have to move out, But for the most part, you know, if it's a kitchen, well we'll set up a temporary kitchen in the dining room that people can function out of as long as you have a you know, a source of water and a place to cook. We will typically set something up like that when we do a kitchen. A model bathroom remodels a little more difficult. If you have two or three bathrooms, it makes it a little bit easier. And what we'll typically do is the cordon open area that the work is being done. We plastic off a section of the house and have a separate interest for the contractors and we try to make it as easy as possible for people that way. And and so it depends, it depends on the scale of the project, whether people have to move out or whether they can actually live through the house, live in the house, you know, during the remodel.
Speaker 2: I assume that a lot of you work. I don't think did you advertise From what I can see, I'm not familiar with the company. I'm not even familiar with the whole idea of house renovations. I'm assuming that that you must rely upon word of mouth advertising more than most most companies that do any level of remodeling. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Yeah, we don't really have We don't do any advertising. It's it's word of mouth. We do have a website, people can people can find us on a website. We also belong to something we encourage to, you know, clients who are looking for a remodel, remodeler or any kind of professional contractor is We belong to trade organizations so people look up. You know, some of the trade organizations for builders and modelers were members of all the main trade groups in New England. And that's a that's a great resource for people to find, whether it's a contractor electrician, commer, architect, and so we get some work to that as well.
Speaker 2: So what are the I'm looking at, like, what are the trends? I mean, I know that that depending I'm not particularly observant, if you will. When I'm invited to someone's home, I tend not to make judgments. But there are some people who will walk in and they'll be kind of looking around and they'll say, gee, this this home is looking very nineteen seventy ish and here we are fifty years later. What sort of businesses? What's the latest trends in terms of what people are looking for looking they looking to update or renovate and is there much of a difference between updating and renovation.
Speaker 4: Well, that's sort of the same. I mean, most of it is updating. There's sort of that sort of a two pronged question. There's what people are looking for from a sort of a design standpoint. Is it hasn't changed a lot. You know, working in the Greater Boston area, people looking for open floor plans as opposed to a lot of New England homes are cut up into small rooms and so we open up the floor plans doing some structural work. So people want to have a much more flow through their living space. That's still popular, has been for quite a while, and more people looking for to get away from looking for more sort of I call it urban chicic, it's clean designs, sleek modern sort of mid century modern look is what people are after right now as opposed to older New England charms.
Speaker 2: When you say mid century modern, look, we're not either at mid twentieth or mid twenty first century. Define that for me a little bit more.
Speaker 4: That's sort of it would be it's post World War two and it's a lot of wood tones, fabric, warm, warm tones, earth tones, that sort of thing. It's sort of you know, the fifties, you know, post World War two into the fifties.
Speaker 2: So what I'm hearing on that say is that maybe things that were popular that went out of style are now coming back, you know, coming back in style.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's isn't that always the way?
Speaker 2: Well that's interesting. There might be some people, yeah, well there might be some people who are listening who have never done any sort of a design build or a design rebuild at their home, who now they might be pleased to hear that, because they're going to say, no sense of changing. Now we're back, We're back in style. But my guess is Mark philban Mark is a design build contractor with a company called Charlie Allen Renovations. Out of Cambridge. We've never done a show. We've done probably now close to forty one hundred shows. We're never done with a with a project developer a this magnitude. His company H does residential design builds, so you don't do commercial. It's all residential, right it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we used to do some small commercial, but it's it's pretty much all residential now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm sure that there are folks out there who know more about this subject than I do. Uh, And so I'm going to invite then we join the conversation at six one seven, two five four ten thirty or six one seven nine three one ten thirty. If you have a question about your home, or you have a question about what you would like to see developed for your home, you got an opportunity here. Feel free to join the conversation. I'll continue my questions with Mark Philbern who is a design build contractor with Charlie Allen Renovations out of Cambridge. And again this is we try to do some different topics, folks, and we do. If you want to show that does the same political show night after night after night, and we we mix it up. We try to have stuff and guests which will be of interest two different people, and hopefully Mark is going to be of interest to you. And if you have a question, you know the number. Give us a call. Coming right back on night.
Speaker 1: Side Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with Mark Philman. He's a design build contractor with a company called Charlie Allen Renovations out of Cambridge. That company has been around for about forty five years. The fellow who was the founder, I guess kind of an interesting backstory. Mark, he was a student at Harvard and he decided to start his own company, and eventually he retired and moved back to the state of Washington. And this is a company that's been around for a long time. Are you right in Harvard Square, per se or where are you located in Cambridge?
Speaker 4: Actually not Harvard Square. We are in Central Square, Central Square, well right in between between Mit and Harvard.
Speaker 2: Yep. Absolutely, So there's a lot that we can talk about.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 2: By the way, the name Mark Philbin. Mark writes a biweekly advice column in the Globe, Ask the Remodeler, and this is this is your opportunity to ask him a question directly. So there's a lot that you and I can talk about here in terms of well even the timing here that we're talking about tariffs, and without getting into the politics of it, this is going to cause I assume some turbulence for your business if these tariffs are in place for any period of time, without making a comment politically or otherwise.
Speaker 4: Correct, absolutely, as all righty, it's a question that comes up, excuse me, with a lot of our clients projects we're putting together now, they're concerned about should I buy it now, will it be more expensive you know two months from now when I really need it, will it be available at all? So the question is coming up quite a bit. And of course you know price of lumber is expensive enough.
Speaker 2: Well we get a lot of well we get a lot of lumber out of Canada.
Speaker 4: Right totally that most most of it comes from Canada.
Speaker 2: So why do we not create what? Why do we know we used to have mills here in New England, you know, lumber mills. Did they just go away? I don't understand. I can understand they sent the chips over to Taiwan. Again, not getting political, why was it that that you know, these lumber manufacturers we now have to rely on Canada. We have we have a lot of lumber and a lot of trees. Anytime any fly, anytime I fly across the country, I love to look down and see all the wide open spaces and the forests and all of that. But what's the history of that. I mean, there used to be lumber mills up up in Maine.
Speaker 4: Correct, Well, most of those are paper mills. Most of the lumber, you know that came out of New England. You know, they harvested all the old growth wood was paper mills up in Maine. It was all that was all for paper, and so it was never really not much lumber. The reason it really comes out of Pacific Northwest is they have more trees. They have more trees, and and the type of trees that that we need for building, the spruce and the and the you know, the redwoods and the cedar's just far more plentful. And a lot. It does also have to do with our environmental laws are a little stricter than Canada, so it's harder to cut them down in the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 2: No, I get it, and I guess once once again we've for for good purposes. We put ourselves in a bit of a bind here because if these tariffs do hold for some period of time, uh, it's only going to be more expensive here in Massachusetts. Again, I love trees, don't get me wrong, but uh you good replant trees. I realized that. But anyway, let's let's get let's see if we get some halls incorporated here. There's so many other topics that I want to get to. I want to get to. Uh, you know, what are the most important factors? What are the challenges? We get to all of that in the cape in on Cape car on Cape. I actually and how.
Speaker 6: Are you, Hi, Dan? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? So I had a mark Philbin. Do you have a question? Mark?
Speaker 6: Hello, mister Philman. Can I ask a question? Hi? Can I ask a question on roofing?
Speaker 2: Yes? Go right ahead. Sure, that's why he's here.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Okay, thank you. I have a an a framed pitched roof, and I had it. I had a new roof put on twenty five years ago, and it was the second layer. And so I have just a just a little handful of quick questions. For instance, my first the first time I had my roof downe twenty five years ago, I had a small contracting company in my city do the job, and he had all his own guys. Now I'm finding that the roofing companies do not have their own men and they use a preferred roofing company. And I have so many questions.
Speaker 2: Well, let's try to end. Let me do this. Don't be nervous. Yeah, why don't you ask whatever questions you want? The history is interesting, But what what would you like to ask? Mark? Go ahead?
Speaker 6: I'd like to ask if a company has their own preferred roofing people to do the roof that they that they source out, who who holds the oh, the type of insurance workmen's compensation insurance? Would it be the company that actually is the company, the roofing company or the preferred.
Speaker 4: Company whoever you're It sounds like you're hiring a larger company that subs it out. There are plenty of roofing companies. Kind of going back with a little bit, plenty of companies out there are owner they're basically its owner run business. They actually don't sub it out. It is their own employees, so you can find them. There's plenty of them out there. That's who we use. We use a company whose owner is up on the roof with the rest of the crew. That said, if you hire a larger company that's subbing it out, you want to make sure that the larger whoever you are writing the check to is that's who you want to have the insurance policy for. And an important note here is too, they should have workers' compensation as well as liability insurance. They should have both. You want to make sure that you can get both those insurance certificates, and you want to call their insurance company to get that sent over. Don't just ask the contractor for it, ask for their insurance company and have it emailed over directly from the insurance company. And that's really important. To get it from the insurance company, not from the not from the company itself. That's how we do it.
Speaker 2: The other phrase that I've heard don't mean to interrupt in, but the other phrase that I've had is company who say, well, we're bonded to do this work. Is that another way of saying we have the we have the adequate insurance.
Speaker 4: That's sort of it's sort of the same thing. Usually typically when you're dealing with a bond, you're doing the municipal work. You know, we get a bond. If we have to work on a sidewalk, we have to buy a bond from our insurance company to do sidewalk work. It's because it's a public you know, public access, so it's sort of the same thing. A bond is sort of an insurance policy, but typically it's for municipal work, not not HOMEO to work.
Speaker 2: And don't and don't take the word of the company, Oh yeah, we're insured. You want to see the actual documentation that proves that they are insured. And are they insured for Ian's specific work? Are they ensured generally? Does their policy run to the particular client that they're working with, or is it more a general liability policy.
Speaker 4: It's no, it should It's usually it's a general liability policy and a general workers compensation and you want to make sure you get both. It's important to when you talk to the insurance company, they should put the bottom they're all the same form. The bottom left hand corner of the insurance policy should say a certificate holder and your name should be in there.
Speaker 6: What kind of question when I call the insurance company? What kind of question am I supposed to be asking them?
Speaker 4: Ask them, tell them you know the name of the company that you want to hire for the roofs, and tell them you'd like to have a copy of their liability policy and their workers compensation policy. You want to have both.
Speaker 2: And the policy that has been purchased by the company that's doing the work for you.
Speaker 7: In Okay, I.
Speaker 6: Understand, I completely stand. I have one more quick question, may I okay? Thank you? So, mister Philman, my a framed roof, if I have a company do it. I've spoken to a few and they say they do the roof in one entire day. So my house is one hundred and twenty five years old, and I'm thinking and visualizing everything is torn off my roof, the two layers of roofing, and probably the decking, the wood, the decking. Probably I don't even have a decking. I have actual old fashioned studs and their big spaces in between. So I'm thinking, if everything comes off the roof, including my studs, is my house gonna is? When my house collapse like a deck of cards. Well, with you thing holding the top together, Well.
Speaker 4: They're not going to take the raptors out. You're called sheathing. You're talking about the old boards are gonna probably have to come up. They don't all have to come off. Sometimes you can just replace the rotted ones with plywood. We do that fairly often, so you don't necessarily have to take all that off. I'd say, if they're going to replace all the sheathing on your roof, it's it's it's going to be more than a day. That's quite a bit of work to replace all the wood sheathing on top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do.
Speaker 4: You have anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me jump in for a second and get more than one quotation and make sure you're dealing with at least a couple of good companies. Go ahead, Mark, I'm sorry I interrupted you. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Do you have you have things stored in the attic?
Speaker 6: No? No, I do not. Just my I had. I had the floor of my of my attic all thoroughly insulated. So should I ask them I probably should ask them to have a covering to protect all that insulation from all like the fives and nails and all kinds of deboos.
Speaker 4: That's what I was suggesting. It's going to be really really messy down there. It's gonna just there's so much to bring. It was going to rain from the rope absolutely, it'll be really really messy.
Speaker 2: All right, Anne, I got to let you go out. You got a lot of good information. Thank you for the call, talk to you so I have a great night. Good night, Mark. Very comprehensive answers appreciated. We're going to take a quick break out of news at the bottom of the Ara back with my guest, Mark Philbin, a design build contractor with a company called Charlie Allen Renovations out of Cambridge. If you have a question like and did, you were more than welcome to join the conversation back on Nightside after this, It's.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Mark, we got more phone calls here. Let me just real quickly. You mentioned that the concept of sustainability, uh in the materials that you that are used and also the energy conservation products that are chosen is important. What does that mean when you talk about sustainability, I mean something that's going to last long, is what I guess you you're referring to correct.
Speaker 4: Well, not exactly. It really is. Sustainability is more sustainability of our planet. Earlier we were talking about trends and I'd mentioned it's sort of a two pronged question. A lot of the trends that we're seeing now beyond just the design as the materials that we're using now, and that has to do with the sustainability, has to do with the sustainability of the planet. People want to have products that are sourced responsibly, low carbon footprint. That sort of translates into a lot of energy efficiency, and the windows that they choose, installations that we use indoor air quality. People are much more conscious of that. This is a really really important trend in building and remodeling right now.
Speaker 3: Is look I look.
Speaker 2: At that as I look at that more from a personal point of view, and that the I'm not going to save the planet by bye I myself using energy efficient windows. However, I'm going to save some money if I use energy efficient windows. I mean, I have friends of mine who talk about that, and I look at them and and I mean, again not to get into the politics of it. You know China and Pakistan is they're they're belching stuff out of their factories into the atmosphere. I don't think I can offset that by using simply you know, I will use the materials that are that are the longest lasting and the most efficient and obviously I want safety from my family. I don't know, maybe maybe I am out of step with society. But I get pitches in the mail all the time from these solar energy companies, you know, switch your your gas supply or your electric supply to solar energy, and it says in very small print, this might cost you more money, but you'll save the planet again compared to what's going on the rest. I just don't buy into the theory that that what I do at my home. And then again, if it makes people feel good and feel better about themselves, I'm all in on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, well that is, I mean that is and that is a trend. A lot of people are doing it, you know, for altruistic reasons, to do their little their little bit to help save the plant on whether it's so. Yeah, and to be honest with you, do a lot of this a lot of being mandated by the by the building codes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, yeah, I can't get around the stuff that's mandated. And more and more is going to be mandated, that's for sure. Let me go to Elaine in Melrose. Elaine, you're on with Mark Philbin of a company called Charlie Allen renovations. He's a design build contract, build contractor go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for taking my call. I appreciate it. I had a couple of questions. I have a cottage down the cape and we were going to be putting in Central Ear in it. It's one level, our three bedrooms, a kitchen in a large family room, in one bathroom. And I was wondering mini splits versus Central Ear. And before I even get to that, there was a person we were considering who had done service the similar thing with Central here for our neighbors. And he does it on the side. He works for somebody who does it, but he does it on the side. What's your opinion of that? And would we get the same thing that you said to the other lady which I really appreciated about getting the liability insurance and the worker's conversation. Would he provide us with that as well? Or do they not do that if they do it on the side.
Speaker 4: No, and you should anybody who works on your home, and you should have they could do a lot of damage potentially, you know, working with your electrical system to get these systems powered up. So anybody who works on your house, you want to have a liability and a worker's comp policy, assuming unless it's just the only people who can work without workers COP would be a sole proprietor somebody who works strictly by themselves. In Massachusetts, as soon as you have one employee, you need to have workers COP. So it's hard to do that work solo. So somebody should have a worker's comp policy as well as a as well as a liability policy. And I think you should also they should be licensed to do it and should pull up. We have to pull building permits so we don't do any work like that. If we were doing a new HVAC system, whether it's any splits or whole house, you need to pull a permit for that at the time. That's very important because that way affected then it'll be done to the code. So sort of three things to think about is it should they should be a building permit, so he should be licensed to do it, which he's doing on a side he might not be. And you should absolutely have the two insurance policies in hand before anybody works on the house.
Speaker 2: And I want to weigh in here, do you really need air conditioning on the cape? How many days during the summer. Is it the need air conditioning? It seems to me to be a brutal.
Speaker 7: Last summer, the heat was brutal, even on the Cape.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I spent most of the last summer in the Cape, and I didn't quite experience the same thing. I guess, But that's okay. I mean, you you've got to figure out what is best, what is best for you. But I think what what what Mark just told you is to be very important with whom you with whom you're dealing want to make sure that they're they're fully insured. Did you have another question for Mark?
Speaker 7: Yes? I did have another question? What Mark? What is your opinion of mini splits? The system we put in the heating system is gas instant hot water. It was a very expensive heating system and when we had mass saved come they said that it would it wouldn't be good, that it would be foolish for us to do it because the heating system was so expensive and it wouldn't work for MASSA because you have to go to electric and for what we take for that. But what what what do you feel about mini splits versus central ear?
Speaker 4: Well, you already have so right now you have what's called the forced hot air. The heating system is forced hot air. So the duct work is already in all the rooms.
Speaker 7: Correct, it's like along the baseboard.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, that's okay in that case. If in that case, I would say the mini splits are a good way to go. They're far more efficient, they will be a lot less expensive to put in. It's hard to put in duct work in a house that's already built, and so it's much much more cost efficient to put in the mini split system and they're more efficient to run in the in the long term, and they also work. The mini splits nowadays also do heat and so you can actually use the mini splits to sort of take the edge off using it as in heat mode. And so they're they're they're pretty versatile systems.
Speaker 7: So you could even use them with the new with that system that we have, even though masks say with saying they wouldn't even touch it because it would be crazy to do it. To convert.
Speaker 4: Yet to convert totally. But you know something that we've been doing a lot is we've been putting in mini splits and telling people to keep their heating system just in case it gets really really cold. You can leave your heating system in place and put the mini splits in for the air conditioning. If that makes sense.
Speaker 7: Yes, it does. In a quick little question. So the place down the Cape is one level, so it's kind of long. So the mini do the mini splits?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 7: Are they all around the whole house?
Speaker 4: How do they get They have to run the lines which are very small to run compare the traditional you know, AC systems. You'd have to have one in each bedroom and one in the living room typically maybe one in the dining room, kitchen area. I'm not sure how it's laid out, but you do have to have multiple you know, you have to have multiple heads. And nowadays they make some nice units to go into the ceilings so they're not hanging on the wall. So uh, but you would have to get one in each bedroom, living room, kitchen, dining area.
Speaker 2: Helene, I hate to do this to you, but we're way past my break here. You've had six minutes. You've asked great questions, but I got to move on. Thank you, best of luck, and I hope it's a cooler summer of the cape form Okay, thanks thanks for calling. You welcome. Very quick break back with Mark Philbin. Final concluding segment, Joe and Phil and Alex are going to try to get all of you in. I promise coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Rayton's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, John, Phil and Alex. We have about eight minutes and I got three callers, so I'm gonna ask each of you to be six SYNCD in your questions for my guest, Mark, Philbin, Alex set the standard. Go ahead, Alex.
Speaker 5: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 5: Hey you miss Phil, go right ahead?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 5: I have a couple of questions, so uh uh home, you know, as I call it, my endless love. We've had installed the old house generator a couple of years ago and it probably used it once, uh, and then had a question about the roof, so that uh, you know, would you say that would be a good investment, you know, as far as uh you know, uh, Godd's value to your home or is it you know, uh.
Speaker 2: Absolute absolutely Alex. And when you need a generator, go ahead, Mark absolutely. If you can afford a generator, to get a generator, go ahead, Mark.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, Actually that was that's something that has been coming up with some of the projects that we've been looking at and talking to our electricians that the right now the energy grid is under such strain right now because everybody's going with electric cars and heat pumps in their homes. It's being mandated by building codes no fossil fuels and the new home construction so hot summer could cause a lot of blackouts and brownouts, and generators are going to become a bigger part of you know, building and remodeling and the not too distant future. Energy grid is much under duress right now.
Speaker 2: All right, one more quick question, Alex, I want to get everybody a chance to go ahead.
Speaker 5: Our roof is fairly new, but when it comes time to change it, do you think installing a metal roof is worth the money. They're you know, kind of pricey or I haven't seen too many people metal roofs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they they are. They are pretty pricey. They're you know, popular up north, so snow slides off of them. That that's more important up there than it is down in our neck of the woods. It's really not that critical. Light roofing nowadays. You can get a good architectural shingle with a you know, fifty year guarantee. That's a pretty good guarantee without the cost of a metal roof.
Speaker 2: Oh Alex, thanks great, great questions. You got to keep moving. Thanks Alex. Let me go next to Joe in Ross and Dale. Joe, you're next on Nightside like Alex, please be quick and direct. Go ahead, Joe, Yes.
Speaker 3: Joe, Hi Dan, thanks for taking my call. I have a question for.
Speaker 2: Mister markhead Mark.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hi Mark. I've said property in Rosindale, it's got asbestos siding on it. My question to you is every thinking about whether I should repaint it or have the asbestos removed? And the question is what is the procedure for removing asbestos nowadays? I realize it's hazardous, believe it or not.
Speaker 4: If that's true, sais if you want to take it off carefully, you can and get a special dumpster that it goes into. If you have a contractor do it, it's they have to be licensed to do it, and it's incredibly expensive to have because of their liability policy that they have to have. If you don't want to take it off, I can tell you right now if that's the siding, well, if you paint it, that's perfectly acceptable and uh it'll last forever. It's it's the most durable siding I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Joe, you just might save yourself a lot of money by making this phone call.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, thanks Mark, Okay, thank you very much. And I won't hould you an because I know you're running out of time there.
Speaker 2: So well, you saved yourself some money, Joe. Listen to what the gentleman said. Thanks Phil in Boston. Phil, you gotta be quick. We got about a bit and a half left.
Speaker 8: Go ahead to the colonial house windows Wooden. Should I keep the storm windows and get the rope free places in the windows that want open open up and downs, I just you know, lock them all out and putting the windows in.
Speaker 4: You know, we've done both. You know there tends to be about the same price. We've we've done a lot of restoration of windows where you get the windows properly, uh, the the old pulleyweight windows. You can put weather stripping on all sides of them and make them much much more thermally efficient, and then get a really high quality storm window on outside of outside of that on the attached to the casing of the house. And that's actually is a is a very good way to uh, to get a thermally efficient window without ripping the old ones out.
Speaker 8: You need a permit for that.
Speaker 2: You got that.
Speaker 4: Not to do windows now, not to do windows of storm windows, you don't need a permit.
Speaker 8: All right, doing heck of a job. Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, Phil, you just might have got some great advice. And again, the company is out of Cambridge. You in the city, what neighborhood?
Speaker 8: Well, I'd rather keep that well fair enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well Phil, let me ask you. Are you in the greater Boston area? They only work Okay, good, that's all I'm just saying. Well, that's great, no problem, no problem. All I'm just saying is it's the company is Charlie Alan Renovations out of Cambridge. It wouldn't hurt to have them come over and give a look and give you a price. Do you do that work type mark? Do you go out and price a job for someone like like Phil?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, we've done that, and we also have some contractors that specialize in it. So either one, depending on the scope and size of the project. But yep, yep, wen we could do that.
Speaker 9: Okay, sounds great, Phil, Phil, Phil Will Phil Phil Phil Phil I'm out of time, Okay, I'm sorry I got to let you go, but thank you for your call.
Speaker 2: And again I think you got some good advice. Appreciate it, Phil, talk to you soon, all right. I want to thank you Mark, Philbern of Charlie Allen Renovations. You know Cambridge based. Uh, you certainly know your stuff. I wish I had better questions, but there's there's a lot to consider here, and anyone who's looking to do some some work at their home. I think you've listened to a guy tonight who knows his stuff. Mark. I appreciate your time and really doing. Of course, people can read you in the Globe every couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: As well, right every two weeks. Yeah, it comes out every two weeks in the Boston dot Com and the UH and the Boston Globe.
Speaker 2: And the name of the column it's is give us the name of the column. They can look forward.
Speaker 4: I'll ask the remodeler. It's in the UH. It's any address section of the Globe, Okay.
Speaker 2: And do they do you end up in the print section or only in the digital?
Speaker 4: No, No, it's in both. It's in Boston dot Com and that comes out on a Wednesday, and then it's in the Sunday Globe in the address section, sort of the real estate section. Ye Globe on the Sunday print.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Mark Philman, thank you for your time. I really enjoyed the conversation. Thanks. I learned a lot myself. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: I thank you.
Speaker 2: When we get back, it's Brushes with Celebrity, having done it in a while, line up, let's get the calls going. Brushes with Celebrity coming up on the eleven o'clock The twentieth Hour,