Speaker 1: It's the two seventeen Recovery Podcast with Corey Winfield. Corey Winfield, Corey Winfield, Corey, you have a rich person's name, like you should be a billionaire with the name Winfield. Anyway, call me back, bro, it is.
Speaker 2: I'm Corey Winfield. This is the two seventeen Recovery Podcast and have very special guests in the studio with me today, Kim Hopkins, Kimberlee. How are you?
Speaker 1: I am good? How are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right? You're over there dancing, Yeah, so good. We're gonna have a good podcast today, a because we're doing one, of course. I mean, you got to do one to have it be good. We haven't done one so long and like done a really good one, seriously, I mean, I guess we did, but it's just been so long ago. Yeah, and it's just've been busy and I don't want to get out of here and complain about doing this or doing that or not. I just want to talk to Kim Kim Lee Hopkins.
Speaker 1: So, Kim, yes, Corey.
Speaker 2: Why don't you talk about where you're from? How'd you grow up?
Speaker 1: Well? I'm from Detroit, Detroit, Michigan, Southwest Detroit, I'm the twelve out of thirteen children.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of kids, Kim, Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 1: But she did it very strong woman, Vera.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But we had a really good, a really good childhood. You know, we was very close growing up. She was the best cook ever. Yes, everybody used to come to our house and eat everybody. My mother used to cook for people too. Don't fall off from the tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a lot, Kim. And before we get into more of your story, let's we should probably talk about how I know you and all that good stuff. So, Kim, I've known for a couple of years now, it seems like, right, yeah, Mo, than couple more than two. Yeah, it's been a minute, right, And you started coming to the two seventeen Recovery Center and you come here for me. So you have a mutual friend and he kind of introduced us to you and you to us, and you know, we've kind of helped you and you've helped us. You know, I mean, this is great and the stuff that you do for us is wonderful. I was just talking earlier because we're planning for Recovery Stories Part six in July, and we were talking about like, because we like to feed people because there's something about like having a meal with people, sitting down with someone. It could be strangers, but everybody in the room is either in recovery or has a tie to recovery because you're at recovery story, so like to bond with people and people you don't know and to have a meal and so it's really cool. So we were thinking about that and then Marnie throws out like, hey, Kim does this kind of thing, like this is what Kim does, Like well, I always see if she'd be interested in doing it, and it's like, oh okay, And then we started kind of joking about like because whether you wanted to have a catering business or not, you know, I mean, this be just a one time thing whatever.
Speaker 1: Remember the first yes?
Speaker 2: Going back to yeah, yes, And I.
Speaker 1: Was like I got my first job.
Speaker 2: And the people that gave us funding for this place, you know it to allowed us to have this place. Like I'm like, that's like they need to see Kim, you know, like a person that started out using us and then like helping us by volunteering and we wanted to pay you and you're like hey, camp right now, but but still like you volunteer here and like the stuff that you're doing, and then now we're gonna probably have you cater the food for the event, and it's like, look how that comes full circle. And then just by you volunteering for that very first recovery stories and then Stewart seeing you and going hey, man, like this woman is great, you know, and and Big Perm I think it was too. It was like, hey, ma, I we should hire her. And you got a job by volunteering, Like if you'd have been like, nope, I don't feel like doing that. And that's why I tell people all the time, like if you just sit at your sit at home on your couch and you wait for opportunity to show up, it's not knocking, Like you have to go out. You have to be in those places right right.
Speaker 1: And I was there at the right place, right time, you know. And I met the head the head chef Perm. He was in the kitchen. Didn't even know that he was the head chef. I didn't even know it. And I was in there just a cooking doing and everything I have to do, and he just a talk and it then come out that it was his kitchen, and I was like, thank you, chef for letting me come in your kitchen, and we hit it off so good and we were just laughing back there. Remember we was laughing coming back and forth. And at the end of the night he was like, hey, yeah, I'm coming to pick you up Friday, and that was a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were like, that is so cool and we're so happy, Like the event went really well, you know, we had that was the first one we ever did. We did spaghetti, like we made it ourselves to serve the people. Yeah, and we had salad and breaststakes and all that stuff, and so it was a lot to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but was so much fun and we did it. We did and first one. And look how big it got.
Speaker 2: Now how big is it now?
Speaker 1: Oh wow? And how many people was here last time?
Speaker 2: I think it's many that could fit into the building fire coding.
Speaker 1: Because as I hear, standing room only, Yeah, it was standing room only. And the very first one, if he has seats, you know, just a couple of seats empty and all and the n now everybody really wanted to get the chance. Now we have you have people rapping, yeah, saying the poems Gary everything, Gary did really good? Did he really did.
Speaker 2: And that's and that's something that I yeah, I'm gonna say yeah to that. You know, even if he was bad, I probably would have said yeah. I mean, I don't know, like if somebody wants to get because it's what he came up and he's like, hey, I want to perform. Is it okay if I do a rap? And I think he asked you or something or you said you know, you should ask Corey and so he did and I was like yeah, you know, he started like kind of freestyle and I was like, oh, yeah, okay, you're good. So yeah, absolutely, and it was fun and it's cool to give people like that an opportunity of the outlet. And I know that's what I need. That's what I use this podcast for. You know. I needed that, like I need to entertain, I need to talk because this was my kind of like my therapy almost.
Speaker 1: Saying people love this, Oh, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if they love it. I love it and it keeps me sober. So that's what I do. But for Gary, he likes threatn and we talked about that rush you get and I don't get it really anymore. But like early on when I would have to go introduce people on stage or be in an event from a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: What about the event we did the U fail it was you excited being a MC and then you get your rush.
Speaker 2: Yet I mean it doesn't Yeah it was. I mean, that's that's such an honor to do that, and I kind of don't want to screw it up. So I don't even think I said my name when I did this last U FAM last month or whatever or a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it. I know I kept walking by.
Speaker 2: Corey, I know, but I don't think I said. It's just like, all right, thanks, here's what we're doing. Thank God, and people I was like, all right, let's go. But yeah, I don't know, I don't I don't get the nerve or I don't get that rush as much as it used to.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, you're so calmon used to it, but you're just still love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still love it, And there is there is a little bit of like getting up there and having the mic. It's just it's fun. But at first it will freak you out sometimes, you know. It did. Me and Gary we talked about that, like, yeah, like just to get that right, he said, he was a little nervous when I got up there, But that's good. You can you can be nervous, and it's actually normal to be nervous. And when I wasn't nervous in front like this time that you fam, I was like, why am I not nervous? Like what was going on right? Which I don't know what that means. But but it's.
Speaker 1: When it's something you love, like they say, and it's really true. When you love it you're not working. You know, it's something that just come easy to you, and it feels so good to do it when you doing it. You know, I love it when I'm cooking, I am so it comes to me and it made me. I want to make it look pretty. I want to make it look good, and I wanted to taste good, you know, And that's something I can do and I really appreciate doing it. I'm glad I had that gift, you know, so hey, so far, so good.
Speaker 2: It's nice having because I have Marnie who's a great cook, and then you so it's.
Speaker 1: Like bacon, Oh my gosh, she is so good.
Speaker 2: She's good. And I don't know why I'm fat. I know that's a whole other conversation and we'll do this, we'll do the whole Losing Weight podcast episode next.
Speaker 1: But we're all going to be up here.
Speaker 2: Jumping on the train. But with with your story thoughing back to it, let's talk about So we talked about volunteering. Let's talk about how you got to violence. So how did you end up in Travers City volunteering at Recovery Stories Message of Hope Part one.
Speaker 1: Well, I've a friend when I came here and I've just got out of the rehab and I was in a sober living and I was coming up here every day. Every day I was coming up and I was like, yeah, you know, I can cook, but I'm just up here doing everything and doing all my meetings and everything. And when I heard y'all speaking of this sorry, the event that was about to happen, and I was just listening like wow, oh okay, I wondering what I could I cook? And I think they came up and I was like, you know, I can cook. I went to school and I am a chef. And you was like really, because I guess you had to get to know me. We had to get to learn each other because I was coming up every day and you thought maybe when I said you will see me every day, I know you thought I was joking. You see I wasn't. Yeah, I was here every day, I was even walking.
Speaker 2: But in your defense, I mean, some people are like, wow, like she's crazy, stalker or but we have a lot of fun here, and at that time, it was it was different, and we did have a lot of fun here. I mean we have fun here now too, but it was just it was different.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: We were new, we were opening, we were trying new things, and there's just kind of a new growing experience in the community and just like learning people. And then you come along and you're in sober living. I don't even I don't know if they have a thing, but there's like some some sober living sabits where you can even have a job for the first sixty day or thirty days. You know, like what are you what else are you supposed to do? You know, are you just going to sit at home and talk about and listen to or listen to people talk about all the fun drugs they used to do. Because there's one guy in every house in the world, every sober living home, there's a guy there is and yeah, there's that guy every house, even in the women's houses, there's that guy. So what are your options? You know, like, hey, it's right down the street, might as well, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And one thing is you were so you was. I mean to me, it is walking distance, which it is, and I can come every day and I can do something different every day, and then I can hear something different and I can learn something different every day. And that was important to me because I'm still learning different things and things I didn't even know, you know, and I'm learning and that was so cool to me, you know. And then going places because at that time we was going places. Were was going rock cunting, which I never did, not that guy in the rock counting, you know, never, you know, no I changed, you know. So it was so it was so different, you know, and being around one thing, being around people to have fun and sober. That's what I never did. I never have fun sober anytime I go fishing, anytime I'm cooking, anytime were playing cards around a big group of people. I never was sober. And this is just taught me how to have fun and being sober. So that was important, and that's important to people now they have to learn how to still have fun, but they have to be stay sober.
Speaker 2: Scary. Was it scary for you and think about that, to think about how am I going to go fishing? Yeah, without drinking a little summer, have a little something.
Speaker 1: Right, because you always have your beer when you're drinking, and you have your liquor. And it was really, it was really scared. It was scared to come out and talk to people without being with I mean, talk to people being sober. Sometimes I have to have a drink, you know, and then you laugh and joke and have fun. Now I can have fun now and don't even drink. I can talk to people and don't even drink when I go fishing. I can fishing. I don't have to have a drink. And it's pretty cool, you know, because now hey, I can feel that hook in my finger. I can feel oh yeah, so fun, you know, you know. I mean, now it's a rush. It's a rush now, you know, to get the hook stuck and just be getting to fish up and everything. I had a ball, I had a ball. I was so sore, but I had a ball, you know, and I was sober. And that was the ip pointing part. I was with my brother and my sister in law down there and there was like how you doing? They was, they were so shocked. You know. I got up and when fishing came back, I went around twice in the day came back. There was like you want to eat? I eat when I get back. You know, it was so cool and to be around people like that is so cool that you can be around people that they don't dream, no cussing, no fussing, nobody arguing, and nobody trying to get over on you, you know, and by us being in recovery, we need to find people like that. We need to find good people to be around. Once you find that one person to be like, oh girl, come on, you can have a drink, girl, come on, you can do That's over? Yeah, you know it's over because I mean, it's sad. It's sad that people want you to do be.
Speaker 2: It, and it's sometimes it's not they want you to do bad, but they just say that misery loves company and m you know, and especially if people are in you know, early recovery several living houses with other people like let's go do it together because it's gonna make me not feel bad about it, and I'll justify it to you, and you can give me your story and I'll justify it and we'll be all good. And here's the reasons why we did it. And it's because this and that, and it was an incident in talent that just happened. And I was talking to somebody about it the other day and these people, I guess we're left at the same place or something. And person wasn't real happy about it, and anyway went out to start doing drugs and stuff again. And that was well, because I was mad. We'll use anything as an excuse, you know, Like I mean, like, there's a lot of bad things happening, and it's not because of our what we do or anybody's fault. But with the recovery community right now, there's a lot of funding being pulled because people don't need help anymore.
Speaker 1: Or something, but we still need help.
Speaker 2: We're good or something.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, something.
Speaker 2: Well, it would be a good way to get rid of poor people in middle class because rich people can send their kids to private facilities, but middle class and lower class going now, even if you have insurance, okay, do you have ten grand to pay the okay, probably maybe maybe forty, maybe more, I don't know. Okay, what about those other Okay, let's say sixty percent? Then okay, they don't have it, so what's happening to them? And then if they lose their job and then my medicaid wait what oh Medicaid's getting cut and all this funding like I've been hearing bad thanks man, and it's not good and this is unacceptable for me, So we have to do something about it. I'll just stay tuned. But I have a son now, soap, so so I'm not going to sit back and let the people that are taking my money from my check before I even get it tell me that my if my son has this problem one day that he can't go get help.
Speaker 1: You see, you see, yeah, and we need to. This is such a good community up here, you know, of recovery people, and they really want to help and we have to stick together and they do so, I mean that's the best part that they find. It's really fine for them.
Speaker 2: But your average person, the one that's out there voting for whoever they're voting for, I don't know, you know, And this is where they kind of sidetrack people. Hey, what is it one percent. Okay, maybe if it's two, what if it's three. I don't care the percent, but I'm just throwing it out there because they'll do this. They'll take an issue that affects one percent of the whole world and make it this big thing. And you know, this is somebody's right to be a woman.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, great, how about we focus on something like but then you get the people that are like, hey, I want to be that. Like I'm saying, go be that. That's fine, but let's really worry about the real issues. You know, like more people are dying every day because they're not getting to treat me because they're not getting the proper treat treatment being sent through McDonald's. The This just pisses me off and it needs to change. Yeah, because and I don't know how people sit back and let it happen. Like I'm somebody's kid. You're somebody's kid, you know, like everybody in this building, everybody in this world is somebody's kid, and the parents aren't going wait wait, wait, wait, hold on. What So you're putting a commercial in every stop set, in a TV program and it's gonna have gambling. It's gonna have liquor, gonna have something, you know. I mean the kids shows probably not know now that they want to sell some toys, so they'll go with that. But that's what they're trying to tell you. So they're taking the money, they're reaping the benefits, and then when people need help, they're like, no, kick you like a dog. And I and the whole Michigan things saying, well, federals taking our money, and you know what, we get a lot of money through the syntax. And I'm talking about alcohol, I'm talking about tobacco, I'm talking about weed, I'm talking about all of it. Gambling, we could take care of people. And the fact that if somebody writes now wants to go home to treatment for gambling, if you want to go, kim, sorry, we're just gonna We're gonna have somebody to call you in a couple of weeks if she has time, because there's not anybody doing it.
Speaker 1: And that's when we need help because a lot of people still need help. A lot of people still need help, you know, and a lot of people it's scaring a lot of people, you know, people are leaving, people are wanting this is an excuse for a lot of people to get high. Yeah, you know, they're going out and they leaving, and they're doing this because they're afraid. Wow, wait a minute, we can't go get help. Now, I know it sounds crazy, but they can't go get help, so what else can they do? And this help is teaching us how we can cope with things like this. You know, I'm so fortunately. I'm very fortunate that I got help and I learned how to cope with certain issues. And that's what we need to learn how to do. And we need these houses. We we need these programs because people need to learn how to cope with it. You know why I'm out here doing this? Why am I keep going out drinking? I'm drinking every day? Why? There's a reason why. And these these places is helping us find out the reason why. But you know what, we also have to want it. We have to want to change and we have to do like this. Like I remember a time when you used to tell me, Kim, you have to work the program. You have to do it. If you really want to, you can do it, you know. And when I first went, I really didn't. I really didn't work. And you know, it didn't bother me. But when I go left and came back, I realized, wait a minute, I need this helping. These people are going to help me if I open up. And you have to open up. And a lot of people don't know how. They don't know how. So we need these places for that to teach us how to open up, to teach us how to cope the teachers. You know, some people don't even know how to get along with other people on that state under the influence.
Speaker 2: That's a real thing, it is. And with being where you are now, being where you've been, and you can look back and I probably told you like you're going to look back at this one day and be like, man, you did you did you?
Speaker 1: When I first got here, you said You're gonna look back and be like, wow, how did I do that? You know? And this happened in two years? And in two years, this is so crazy. You mean to tell me I'm sober? You mean tell me I got my own place.
Speaker 2: There's a place I know you could go to today and get a job, right, you know, like and we're trying to cain I can go to which career path should choose? You know, Like it's just two years, isn't it? Yes, idiots, Because when you first came through your fed, sat you down, said this were you can be in two years. You would say, how is all that? I'm like, Kim, this is this is the things that are gonna be happening, right.
Speaker 1: And it happens and and the best part of it, it was happening so fast. And I remember you telling me sometime you're just gonna just think about it and tears come to your eyes, you know, And that was that's really true. Tears just came to my eyes because I was like, oh my goodness, why is this happening to me? It's all happening, all good, and it was happening back after back after back, Like wait a minute, because you know, at a time you think you don't deserve it, but when you put that work.
Speaker 2: In, then you're just look back and you're like, damn, man, I've been through some ship and some ship, and man, I made some good decisions in there. Because you look back too, and there'll be that fork in the road. You could have went left right and you stayed right. Man, would have been easy to go left, and so like, and so I don't knock other people something it's not a funny thing. I think, let's get back up and let's keep going, you know, like.
Speaker 1: You have to keep going.
Speaker 2: Where do we go from here?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And hopefully there was a lesson in there, because there was a lesson every time for me. And I don't know if I ran out or know, I just didn't want to be that guy who killed somebody driving accident. So that fear of being that guy is something that motivated me. But it takes it's different for every everybody. And you said it best, you know, when you can figure out, like why is this going on? And when I was in treatment and I was like, wait, I think I have abandonment issues, and you know, it started really coming to me and was it the treatment center? No, you know, there was some good stuff I learned there from good people. They don't even work there anymore, so you know, it is what it is. And that's the same with all the treatment centers. People come and go, and you know, like those therapists that are in treatment centers, you're only going to see them maybe twenty eight days, maybe two weeks, you know, maybe ninety days, But how many times you really see them? How much can you really unpack and they don't have you for a client for the next year. They got you for that time. I mean, how much time are they going to invest in you? So like knowing what to share with them is very important because when I first went in, I was opening up Pandora's box and it was everything's coming out, and then it was never closed. So like when I left, I'm just like, oh my god, I remembered stuff that I forgotten I buried and now it's out here and I can't do nothing about it. And I go see a therapist about it and they were like, oh no, we can't treat you for that because you haven't been sober for six months. You need to go see somebody else. I'm like, I'm I me Kate, like this is where I have to.
Speaker 1: Go, like exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I was very confusing and very weird and I don't even know where I'm going with this. Nowoon that r I'm back to some dark places and I don't think I'm eating right, So my brain's a little fucky.
Speaker 1: You went back to dark got lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was back. Whatever I was saying it had good point to it, and I appreciate you listening that was the end of it.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: I went to a dark place at I thought so.
Speaker 1: And it's topped. It just stopped right in the middle of a sentence. It just stopped right then and.
Speaker 2: There, and we could stop it and go back and listen. I can be like, oh, yeah, but that's no fun.
Speaker 1: Nah, So my goodness.
Speaker 2: So Kim, it's it's been a it's been a blast having you here though, and being around and you know, making those connections, which again is so so important and early recovery, and you have to be in a place where you're at now. I think it's very awesome. And you know, I think the people that fund us, you know, and it's not say hey, look at Kim, she's doing good. But Kim, you are doing great.
Speaker 1: But thank you, I mean, hey, thanks to you guys for all the help. And to have somebody in your corner. It's amazing. It's amazing what you can do when you have somebody in your corner. Every time, anytime I needed somebody that was here, you know, and you know, I can't forgive them a way, Mitch do it? Did I put him?
Speaker 2: He's a few times, Kim, coach and training and you didn't take the class through the car train, but you know you still need to take the state stuff. But yeah, so you know computers, you know, okay.
Speaker 1: And I'm old. You know. This was like, oh my god. It was like I need a raise. I need a raise. Now wait a.
Speaker 2: Minute, keep.
Speaker 1: I can't keep doing this. I think I need another job. I was a job by myself, wasn't I It was so amazing. But you know one thing, y'all was still y'all stuck with me. You know that's the best part. You stuck with me. I can open up my computer now, I can do my own tapping.
Speaker 2: Telling Mitch Corey earlier that this is almost like a college, because I was telling Corey to like learn how to do sub lamation or whatever it's called, like put stuff on T shirts. It was like, I don't know, Google learn it. That's your jo. Have learned that. And then I'm gonna say do you know how to do it? And you can say yea, I'm gon okay, go make this.
Speaker 1: And that's so cool.
Speaker 2: And Mitch has learned so much, you know, and it's like, man, you got this is a college. You get your credits on the fifteenth and then the last day of the month, you know.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anytime you can get someone else to pay you to learn stuff, it is good. Anyway, I'm gonna wrap this up though today, but Kim, thanks for coming in. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: It was fun here.
Speaker 2: They won't have you and again to get more detail about some of the stuff. But you're doing good and it's good to see people come through. You know, we see a lot of the other stories, but it's nice to see the good stories once a while. And yeah, probably appreciate you. And if you have more, I'm Kim. She's actually at two seventeen recovery dot com. Go to the team and you'll see Kim Willie Hopkins and that's repeat And if you have the app, you can see her on there as well. Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast. Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com.