Speaker 1: You like fantasy ball, sense talk chasm that I shall not me hear myself stops fans and they can't even count some of uniforcasom s rodo you ain't better the health? Well yeah, several charges on everyone coming else and I'm alreadium to hear my baby sounds just like your name was, Mark. And it's a ride by podcast. It's a rapop podcast. It's a rapp podcast. It's a ride bo podcast. It's a rap up podcast.
Speaker 2: Don't have a rap up podcast? Got a turn? It should rap bo podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody, welcome back. It is the Rasball Fantasy Baseball Podcast. I am beat on, joined by the spectacled Wonder, the Fantasy Master of Thario, the Master of the slick back hair. Gray. All right, that's going over there, Gray.
Speaker 2: What's up, homie? Uh yo, homie, you don't know me. I like my Tierra Masue a Marska pony. So I don't know if you saw your your man PCA Pete Crow Armstrong. Did you see uh? Did you see his weekend?
Speaker 1: Uh? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Okay? So? Uh? If you so? For people who aren't aware, uh, I guess he uh he ran into the fence. At the White Sox game and a fan started yelling at him, a I'll say, a female fan. She started yelling at him and he said back to her something like you can suck my and uh so then today on Monday, we're recording this on Monday. So then on Monday, he said, I regret my choice of words the most and who that affects in my life directly and indirectly. And I'm wondering if you can explain to me how words could indirectly affect someone. Is he talking about the butterfly effect? Because I really don't understand what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: Uh you know, I mean indirectly, words get hurt and people that weren't involved in the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you're saying he says, you can suck my d and she hears it, and then she goes home home and she says, to like her her say her boyfriend. She says, uh, you know, she gets into a fight with him and she's like, you can move your stuff out. I hate you. But indirectly, she's really just she's bottled up her anger from when Pete crow Armstrong yelled at her. Is that is that what you're thinking?
Speaker 1: There, you know, that's fine, or like a little kid takes it home and tells, you know, the random woman to do that. That's that's not an ideal either, not a not a great role model.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it is like the butterfly effect is what you're saying, just just.
Speaker 3: Cascading effects down the line of you know, I mean, so okay, day like let's say so, let's let's say a let's say he says you can.
Speaker 2: Suck my and uh he says it, and it uh, it causes a butterfly to change its path because when he says it, his words are come out so venomously that he spits. He's spitting when he's taught, when he's screaming. So the butterfly changes his path and goes onto a road down the street and lands on the windshield of a bus driver right right around of a bus driver. The butterfly smacks on the windshield, and that bus then veers off the road and goes into crashes into a nuclear plant and causes a melt out. So that that is indirectly is that directly or indirectly?
Speaker 1: Uh? Indirectly I believe, but you know, I mean, it's all up for interpretation. You could, you could. I'm sure you know there's there's ways around these things. The Internet has taught us anything. No statement can be correct. There's there's no that statement that's that's true.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that was this weekend and Pete crow Armstrong, Yeah, I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: I had I had family in town. I was at the Cubs brace games during the week, but did not hear about the the PCA news so to speak. I saw he had a home run that was nice, you know, him actually being useful on the fantasy side of things for for change recently. But no, I did not see that news. So thank you for that education, Grant.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, like, if if you're if you're driving to work tomorrow and uh say, like a butterfly smashes on your wind shield, you can thank Pete crow Armstrong for that.
Speaker 1: It's all pekro Armstrong's fault.
Speaker 2: It's basically final destination colon pie crow Armstrong.
Speaker 1: Well, something that Seattle is trying to do to change their butterfly effect in their season. Gray is calling up Colt Emerson twenty six games in Triple A or sorry, thirty eight games in Triple A seven home runs ten stone bases. He's hitting two fifty five, three forty seven, four sixty nine. He was a twenty seven point two percent strikeout rate and a ten point one percent walk rate. What are your thoughts here on Colt Emerson.
Speaker 2: I was actually so when you were when you're reading his stats, I was looking at the Mariners lineup because I actually so, I wrote up Colt Emerson for Rasball today and I made him the lead by I want to say, like about a month ago, so I've I'm all about Colt Emerson. But I was when you were saying that his stats, I was looking at the Mariners lineup to see if there's any chance because right now he's batting ninth, which had I don't love, right I don't. I don't love any I don't love anyone batting ninth. Cold Emerson though he was called up and he's batting ninth, and I'm looking at the lineup and I'm I could see JP Crawford moving out of there, and Cole Young is currently above Colt Emerson. So you know, I'm I'm kind of feeling I'm feeling like and Colt Emerson did hit ninth in the in the first game in after his call up yesterday on Sunday Sunday Night Baseball, he was in the lineup, hitting ninth. So I am a little bit concerned about the hitting ninth. But well, I'm looking at the lineup, I'm seeing kind of I was. I didn't realize this yesterday. Like I when I wrote him up, I wasn't really thinking about like how he got into the lineup because I know he he signed a big deal for the be with the Mariners long term. I believe it was eighty million, and so I know they had incentive to call him up. But now that I look at it's like, it looks like Brendan Donovan, Uh was it? He? He he heard his groin TMI and went to the IL. So that looks like how he got how Colt Emerson got into the lineup. But I'm wondering when brand I guess, you know, cross that bridge when it comes to it. But it's a little bit bizarre that Brandon Donovan was the guy to be Uh he went to the I L and that brings Emerson up because at some point Donovan, you would assume, would return, and at that point, I guess cross that bridge. When we come to it. But I don't know. I guess Crawford then gets bumped, or Cole Young gets bumped, or maybe they go into a platoon. I don't know. I guess there's still time to decide on that. I'm just trying to think how long term Colt Emerson. I'm assuming he's up for good because of that deal that the Mariners made with him, but he's also he struggled a bit in the minors this year, you know, with a twenty seven plus k k raid. So if he's not making contact in triple A, he was, I will say, though he was in the last like week or so. But if he's not gonna make contact in the major leagues to anywhere close to you know, you assume if he's doing twenty seven percent of triple A, then that's gonna balloon up to over thirty in the majors. I mean, I know they won him in the major leagues. I just I could see potential here where he may not stay up. Now, with all that said, he I think he's a by slash pickup in every league, like I would pick up Cold Emerson in the shallowest of leagues. So don't get me wrong. I'm all about him. You know, good power, good speed, but the contact is a little bit concerning for me. And you know, the Mariners Park isn't really isn't really a hitter's park and batting ninth. So there's a few things going against Colt Emerson right now. Now he's only twenty years old, so I'm talking I'm talking more right now, Like obviously a guy who gets called up when he's twenty years old and already has a long term deal with the team. I mean, this is a guy who could be you know, a top fifty overall bat as soon as next year. Like, I'm absolutely not trying to undersell Colt Emerson. I'm just looking at him for this year. I'm trying to be, you know, a little bit of the Devil's advocate, because I do think he's absolutely worth picking up and I like him, but I do think there's a few things that are going against him for or like the immediate future. I could see a scenario where Donovan comes back and Emerson's k rate is over thirty five percent and they're like, you know what, maybe you're only twenty years old. Maybe go back to the minors for a little bit more and then you'll come back in like, you know, the second half of the season. I could see that scenario. I could see a scenario where he starts hitting immediately and he you know, he he gets, he gets. You know, he has a great first couple of weeks. JP Crawford and You'll and Cole Young move into a platoon. Brandon Donovan comes back and you know, Emerson is now hitting lead off, and it's like, you know, all there's all systems ago. There's no problems at all with Cold Emerson. He's you know, already a huge star in like no time. I could see that scenario. I'm just saying, there's a couple of scenarios here where things don't work out so well. So I would pick him up, but I would, you know, maybe hedge a little bit and don't drop, you know, a guy who's extremely valuable, just to get Cold Emberson on your team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm fine with everything you said. It's kind of one of those scenarios. Like you said, it doesn't necessarily mean he's up for forever, but at the same time, as long as he doesn't mess it up, it feels like this is this is opportunity to be up with the majors and kind of sees the spot for for good. There's definitely opportunity for to move up. JP Crawford is also a little banged up right now, waiting to hear whether he's going to be okay, you know, in the in the short term here. So all of that could all up to Colt Emerson getting a little bit of an extended runway here, even if he doesn't hit the ground running right off the bat. As you mentioned strikeout rate, it was a little high this year. It really wasn't bad at any stop along the way until he got to triple A and then it kind of spiked a little bit at that point. But he's also, like he said, nineteen twenty, if not the youngest among the youngest at that at that league, so he is, he's well on his way here. Let me ask you, among third base where you think Colt Emerson fits in rest of season? Would you rather have Colt Emerson or Isaac Parades who has not been not been his usual self this year and he's killing me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's killing me as well. I actually I think I was asked this question today and I believe I went Colt Emerson with the answer, And I would say Colt Emerson because like parades we've seen now, especially if the league shallow, like if the league is deeper, and this becomes a situation where if you drop Parades and you can't get him back or you can't get another guy to fill in. If ever, if Emerson doesn't do well, then that's a different story. But if it's a shadow league, I would go cold Emerson because we've seen now parades sort of done. He's done nothing now going on like eighteen months, Like it's been a while since we've really seen parades be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has been. You know, I thought it was just injury and he's not back this season. It has not happened. How about somebody that you have always always liked grey and that is Mark Fiento's.
Speaker 2: I would actually I would go Emerson over vient Do's and you know, and you know I love Piano's but you know, Emerson's got great speed. Even if he doesn't hit the ground running as far as power goes, I think, you know, if he can chip in, say I don't know, like a couple steals here and there and maintain a two point fifty average, He's gonna be more valuable than Viento's because the speed and power. Vento's has no speed whatsoever, and he's got very little average, so it's like cold Emerson's already like cold Emerson and Viento's are probably a push on average. Emerson has much more speed and he's also got a little bit of power, which Vento's has only shown a little bit of power. So I would go Emerson.
Speaker 1: All right, about recently hot Brady House.
Speaker 2: You know, that's tough because House has been hitting third in uh he's been hitting third for the Nationals, and the Nationals actually have been a pretty good hitting team. I'd probably, you know, there's scenarios where I could see going for upside with Emerson, but in you know, push came to shove, i'd say Brady House.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think if you have if you have your third basement, if you have your corner infield, and this is a backup spot, I could see going Colt Emerson.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: But if I had to start these guys right out the gate, I think I'm just gonna go with Brady House. Or if I just have a gigantic lead and power, then you could go with cult Emerson because Brady House isn't really gonna steal bases.
Speaker 2: So no, exactly, that's a good point. Like if a guy is like your third basement or corner man, it's like it's there's a little bit more of a calculus involved. If a guy is a utility guy, and it's like just go upside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's just benched Depp. That's guys you can usually get back if you drop them, and if you if Colt Emerson is out there, if he does hit the ground running, he is not gonna stick around. He's gonna be grabbed up. If he's not already so he's sitting around, probably go grab him and see what happens. Unless your team is just you know, stacked, in which case, congratulations to you. Thanks for listening to us.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. I'm sure you've listened to every single day we've said and followed it to the team.
Speaker 1: How could that go wrong? Right? How could that go wrong? How could this go wrong? The Mets called up a pross that definitely can't go wrong, But they have called up a j ewing thirty games between Double A and Triple A this year. He is two home run seventeen stone bases. He is hitting a combined three poin thirty nine four forty seven five to fourteen is a fifteen percent strikeout rate, a sixteen point seven percent walk rate. He's had six games with the Mets. He has a home run two stone bases. He's hitting two ninety four and a five hundred on base in those six games. Obviously, he is the next greatest hitter of all time. Agent Ewing. Yeah, he's taking the best Ewing title life from in New York from from Patrick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a if fab bids this Sunday or any indication, then absolutely no question about it. He's obviously going to be the best call up of all time. Yeah. So anyways, so yeah, I guess I actually I could talk about that for a second. So fab bids had aj Ewing was far and away top guy this weekend. He went for two thirty in one of my leagues, and he went for one sixty seven in another league. The close runner up bids were close too, so it wasn't like those were just two random people who throughout large bids like aj Ewing was definitely the hottest commodity this week across all my leagues, so I guess we should talk about him.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah, I mean I actually I granted Ajewing in my twelve team mix league are RCL league because that seems.
Speaker 2: Awful, so I need something. But even beyond it being awful, I would have grabbed aj Ewing if I had a spot form, which I did, so I think he's a pickup, just like I said with Cold Emerson. I think aj Ewing is also a pick up in every league. I think there's a good chance that aj Ewing is better than Emerson. I think, you know, just uh it's I would say they could be closed. But Ewing has a ton of speed, even more than Emerson. Emerson has good speed and power, sort of like a combo of both. Ah, I would say Colt Emerson's more like a thirty thirty guy. Once he gets to his prime, aj Ewing could steal fifty bags like he's he's got that kind of speed. I don't know if people have seen him play yet, but like he had a he had a triple one. I forget if it was his first game or one of his games. He hit a triple and he got the third and like I mean, it's basically nothing. He was basically like Billy, Uh, what's would call it? What's his name? Bobby, Bobby w Bobby with junior type speed or you know, like a burner, great turner, like a burner, like he aj Ewing is fast. So that alone gives me more hope for a j Ewing because there's just no way, like you can't you know, is assuming he can get on base. You know, there's there's no stopping the run. Game is assuming the Mets don't say don't run, which you know, knowing the Mets, it's a possibility, I guess. But aj Ewing's already stole two bags, so it looks like he's got the green light if he has the green light from now until if he's up, and there's no reason to think he won't be if he's up and has the green light, like he could steal forty plus bags just this year, Like he's got that kind of speed. I you know, i'd probably put his realistic projection probably close to thirty. But still, I mean, you know, steals come fast, and Ewing's got it so and he also makes a ton of contact. Like the strikeout rate looked real good in in the minors fifteen point two percent. He comes up, you figure a bump of three to five percent on that, So you're looking at like a twenty percent strikeout rate in the majors. So he's making contact, he's hitting the ball. He's got great speed. I really I see aj ewing. The only thing really stopping him, I think is gonna be his lineup spot in the you know, right now he's hitting eighth, which isn't great at all. And the other thing that I guess could potentially hurt him a little bit is if the Mets do something stupid when guys get healthy, and you know, because he's a lefty, they start platooning guys. But I mean, and meaning him as well. But I think he's I think he's probably if he's not, like you know, I was kidding with the fan beds, but he could be one of the top call ups this year. I mean it's possible. I don't see necessarily the power, even though he's already hit a home run. I don't see the power being like, you know, that great for this year. I mean, he could build, he could probably grow into more power, but maybe seven seven homer, maybe five to seven homers thirty steals to sixty to seventy average. I mean it's like you get that off of waivers. That's you know, that's a really good pickup. So yeah, I would say aj Ewing is probably the top pickup of you know, one of the one of a handful of top pickups this year. So I yeah, I like him a lot. I would I would not hesitate about picking him up in any league, and he would be above Colt Emerson for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. It just looks like he's a little more polished in terms of his approach, a little bit cleaner in terms of strikeouts. He always is taking walks across the board along with like you said, just top level speed, you know. I mean it's it's hard to really put this on anybody or like start making comparisons, but he's kind of like he's kind of like the poor man's Connor Griffin. Like he's not going to have the power that Connor Griffin has, but he has that speed. He could work his way up in the lineup. They I know, the Mets have some money invested in the top of the lineup obviously, but nobody is hitting. Like if he comes up and hits how would you not move him up if nobody else is hitting? Uh, and he feels like the future leadoff guy, why not give him that spot sooner rather than later. So I really don't feel like his spot in the lineup is is quite as set as Emerson's where it feels like when when Seattle's healthy, they're going to be very stubborn and just stick him in the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I also think, like, you know, you have guys coming back with the Mets with like Lindor in theory, Polanco is supposed to get healthy at some point. I'm very curious if Polanco ever comes back, but Polanco is supposed to get healthy, Lindor hopefully is coming back at some point. Uh, Francisco Alvarez like they the Mets have Louis Robert Jr. Like the Mets in theory have guys who could return, but none of those guys scream top of the lineup guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely not a leadoff spot. Maybe Lindor because he's he's definitely done it before, but you know, he's kind of slotted more in the two spot recently. That feels like a better use of his talents. So we'll see what happens here. But yes, I like ajent Ewing. Let's move on to Henry Bolti, who's called up by the Athletics this season. He has twelve home run seventeen stone bases. He's getting three forty eight, four eighteen six fifty eight. He is a twenty two percent strikeout rate and a nine point six percent walk rate. Wait, does Henry Bolte fit in the mix of these three guys that we've talked about so far?
Speaker 2: For you, you know, it's funny because I like Boltay a lot. I think he's probably on par with aj Ewing. For me, the bigger issue is the A's seem like they really want a platoon on which I mean is not as brutal. I don't you know, I don't want to. I don't want to see Bolta add of the lineup ever, and if he is out of the lineup, it's like that, you know, I understand the Carlos Cortes thing, like I I like him as well, but like I don't want to see Cortes play over Bolte. Like if Bolta is playing every day and he hasn't been, I mean had like I I picked up Bolte in our our twelve team mix league as well. Uh, And I know there's been a few days where I've had the bench Bolta because he hasn't been the lineup. So like, I like Bolta as much as Ewing, but if he's not playing every day, it's like it's it's it's a it's brutal for weekly leagues. Obviously, for daily leagues, it's a little bit more manageable, but you still have to you know, you still got to managine and you have to work around it with you know, picking up guys or having a bench bat which isn't always ideal. So I like, I like Boltay a lot. I think, you know, he's very similar to Ewing in that, Like I would say he's Ewing plus like you know, maybe five percent on the strikeout rate potentially. Uh. You know, Boltay did cut his strikeouts this year, but you know, previously they were much higher. But you know, if he cut him this year, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. They were still higher. You know, they were still at triple A. There were still twenty two percent on the strikeout right, So that's still higher than Youwing. I would say Bolta has the same amount of speed as youwing. Though, So if like you know, they if they give him the green light, which I have no reason to think they won't. So if they give them the green light and he can steal you know, twenty twenty five bags, because you know, I'm figuring in a little bit of a platoon. If he can steal twenty five bags, he's going to have more power because you know, Sacramento is better for power, and he's also he's got more power in the minors, so he has in theory, he has more power, just as much speed as youwing, a little bit more of a little bit less of a steady at bats, and a probably roughly fifteen to twenty points on average lower than youwing. But that's still kind of a wash. It's really the at bats. If Bolte has every day at bats, I love him. If he's got you know, any sort of platoon at all, even if it's only like a game or two a week, it's still killer. So I like Bolta a lot, though, So you figure, you know, all things being equal, maybe twelve homers twenty five steals two fifty average potentially two forty five, and you know, maybe maybe higher on the speed, maybe a little bit lower on the power. Kind of depends on playing time a little bit, but absolutely worth rostering in almost every league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I really like intervald to you. I think he's made some changes in the last couple of years to increase his launch angle, which is not really hard because it was quite literally negative at certain times in the minors. So I like what he's done. He's done in the last couple of seasons. He's got the k rate, the average has gotten better, and as you mentioned, the speed is crazy. If anything, he's actually faster than doing so crazy amounts of speed. And of these guys that we're talking about, he's the only one who got up and he gets shoved to the bottom of the lineup immediately, although he is potentially looking at a platoon, which sucks so monitor of the platoon. But really like Innry Bolte as well. Zebby Matthews, somebody who has talked about in draft season and drafted kind of across the board, got sent down the monitors, which was surprising. But he is back seven starts in the minors. He had thirty four and a third innings. He had a four to seven to two, a one to five to one, whip, twenty two percent strike out rate and a seven point three percent of walk rate. Those numbers do not scream call me up. But then he came up, had seven innings of no earned, five strike out, one walk ball. What are your thoughts here? On zebby Matthews.
Speaker 2: Finally a call up that I'm not crazy excited about. I mean, he's fine. I don't know. I wasn't really in on him in the In the preseason, I felt like I felt like people were a little bit more excited about him than they should have been, Like every every point, Like last year in the majors, he had a five point five to six ERA. Now, granted ERA is in everything, and his peripherals say he should have been much better, but he was giving up a lot of home runs, and you know, his babbit was high. But the babbit was high for a reason. I mean, he was giving up hard contacts. So I don't know, man, I feel like he's a streamer in most shallower mix leagues. In a fifteen team mixed league, you take a flyer on him if you can get him for cheap on fab and see what happens. See if he can you know, if he has the good command, which he did the first game, the first game he started with the Twins this year, and he's actually he's always had really good command. So if he has the good command and he limits the damage, he could be Okay. I don't think his strikeout is going to be that great. He's never like he has had strikeouts in the minors, but never to that big of an extent. So I don't know, Man, he's fine. I think he's I think he could be. I think he could be usable if he can figure out, like, you know, the commands to the point where he's like limiting homers and hard contact. But he hasn't really shown that. He didn't even show it in the minors this year, like in tripa A he had a two point four homer per nine in the minor leagues, Like you know, it's like not good. It's not good when you're giving up nine homers and only thirty four and a third innings, like come on, man, Like it's like that's almost impossible to roster in most mixed leagues. But I could see streaming in a fifteen team mix league maybe. And obviously every everything, you know, anything goes in an ale only, so whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ao, only he was already and probably kept through his time in the minors. Even so, that is what it is I am with you that I'm not a Zebie Matthews fan. I thought I was going to be coming into the season because the stuff is nice. You know, ninety six mile an hour fastball, he's got a couple of breaking balls, he throws a change like, he's got the pitch mix, he's got the velocity to be a good pitcher. But it just never really feels like it gets put together. Do you remember, like, and I know's he's kind of a black sheep of baseball now, but do you remember like early career Trevor Bauer where he had like twenty five pitches and just never could keep his pitch bicks in line long enough to be good. Like this, that kind of feels like Zebi Matthews to me at this point, because he'll have a start like he did where he goes seven inning innings of no earn and the next time he's gonna come out and I promise like within the next two games he's gonna have a four inning, six earned like four off game, Because that's that's kind of his m right now. Until he gets gets an idea of what what he's doing at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe I don't know, that's that's the read I get.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe other people like him more. Seems like in the draft season for sure, Yes, Dixon Garcia was called up by the Pirates. Not really a whole out here, but I figured I'd go ahead and mention it since he has a really fun name. Great any interest here in kicking him up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like, yeah, if his name was like Joe Schmo, people would be like, he hit two forty two in triple A with a twenty seven percent strikeout. There's nothing there really, but yeah, host hosty Hosty Nixon, Hosty Hosty Nixon Garcia, I would say NL only like he's he's had. You know, he's shown some power in the minors this year, and he's always kind of had a little bit of power and some speed and he's not really he's not that old, so you know, maybe something will click at some point. But I don't even know if like I don't know if Garcia is really gonna be uh a pirate's.
Speaker 1: Starter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he like he he might platoon. I don't know how he's gonna be used. I don't know if he can really hit the major major league hitting excuse me, major league pitching as of right now, I don't know. I mean in a and I'll only take a flyer and see what happens. I don't think we're at the point yet where he's uh for mixed leagues.
Speaker 1: I would agree. And it just feels like this might be a little bit of a quad a bat which is uh, you know, a starter for the Pittsburgh Pirates. So that's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put over, I think I think was it r Ryan O'Hearn got injured, so I guess they had room to bring them up. Yeah, yeah, I mean probably might be quade. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will see, but yeah, it'll only for now. Can you just a little random trivia to mix it up here? Great? Can you tell me who the number one player on the play Raider is over the last thirty days?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, Uh, you know, I don't I have I mean, I could guess Matt Olsen maybe.
Speaker 1: Nope, it's not Mattleson, who is number seven, So it's a solid guess number one, number one in the play Raider over the last thirty days. It's none other than Miguel Vargas.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's say three h three night home runs, three stone bases, twenty four runs, and twenty one RBI is great. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, for a long time, I always thought that the Dodgers were paying off prospect writers to build up their prospects so they could trade them for better be yes, well, you know, because like if you think about it, like how much would it take to buy off someone, you know, a prospect writer and be like, hey, could you grade Miguel Vargas as an eighty hit tool guy? I mean, I'm not gonna know. I'm not messing with my integrity just for your little Dodger scheme. Okay, uh what if we gave you a hundred bucks? Okay, sure, yeah, no problem there, man. I I think Miguel Vargas was though at one point was considered a really good prospect. So maybe he's finally you know, like guys mature at different rates. You know, I'm pushing fifty and I'm still not sure. So it's like, yeah, but I think, you know, it's like if a prospect does not really you know, if a prospect's not quite there one hundred percent, like the first year doesn't mean he's totally you know, he's just gonna be a failure. Uh So, I don't know, Maybe Miguel Vargas is finally clicking. The weird thing is with Vargas, uh in general, was always like he he never really struck out a lot, like he was actually really good contact guy. It was just that his contact just wasn't very good. It was like he would make contact, but it'd be really weak soft contact. So you know, maybe he's I don't know, did he go to drive line. I don't know, maybe something out. I mean, it wouldn't Honestly, migue bargains broke out. It would not be like the biggest shock in the world. To me, I could see it possibly continuing. I would I wouldn't bet that it will. I would bet against it, if you know, just because the track record tells us that at some point he's gonna come back to earth. But you know, you never know. Stranger things have happened.
Speaker 1: Uh. Well, Gray, if you ask him, you shall receive he did go to drive line. Uh No, Sometimes if the organization isn't working for you, you just need that extra set eyes. And apparently it's drive line, is the answer. To damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm telling you, I think we said this previous week so that this winner. You and I are just going to stand in the drive line parking line. We're just taking notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just gonna work from there. I'm just gonna sit my laptop out in the parking lot. I'm gonna work from the parking lot. And also just kind.
Speaker 2: Of like, who's the David Caruso sunglasses sitting in the in the bush out in the park lot. Have you seen that guy?
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: It's not it's nothing, man, leave me, leave me alone. I just like sitting in bushes.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna ESPN News this thing, but without the under the table sex on the side. You know. That's how how I'm gonna do this. Great for rass Ball and our listeners.
Speaker 2: No as me where I'm at, I'm tell commuting from the drive line park a lot. Yeah, Jordan Walker now and the Guel Vargos, I mean we should be they should sponsor this podcast at this point.
Speaker 1: They really should, I mean.
Speaker 2: Send us life. Drive Line said this is a lifeline.
Speaker 1: They should. We should really get that along with a conspiracy theory one for all the things that I randomly throw against the wall. Here. Number one, number four, and number nine on the thirty Day Play Raider are the from the White Sox. Gray. I don't I didn't think i'd ever see that, Like in the rest of the history of baseball, I don't think I would see that. So good good for the White Sox. But we're going to actually talk about some catchers here Gray because on the Season Long Player, not the thirty Day the Season Long Player Raider, the number one, number two, number seven, seventeen, forty one, and forty two. So six of the top fifty gray on the Player Raider are catchers. Of all things gray, they are catchers. Number one on the Player Raider is Drake Baldwin seven games, he has thirteen them round the stone base you sit in three oh one, three eighty five, five forty three is a twenty point seven percent striker right in a ten point eight percent walk rate. Like just we're gonna just buy selling. Like the catchers in general, I mean, we can talk about them as a whole, but also we can we can walk through each one because these guys have been absolutely phenomenal to start the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm gonna say something that might be blasphemous in some circles. But I I feel like if the catchers are gonna be good, then I don't want to punt them. It's like, I know, I know most people would be like that's the opposite of what you would think, like if if it's a deep position, then you punt it. But I actually feel like if the catchers are good, I might not be punting catcher if they stay good. Like I I feel like, you know, it's like you know, going to like the outfield, which is a deep position. It's like saying like you know, like if you have like you you want a top outfielder, like if if catchers, if catchers are this good, if like there's a good like you know, five catchers that are really good, you want one of the good catchers, like you like you don't want Francisco Alvarez. If you're if your league mates have Drake Baldwin, Ben Rice, Shae lang Lears, Liam Hicks, Ryan Jeffers, like you don't want to be the guy who has Christian Vasquez, you know, Like it's just I don't know, I feel like it's uh, it might be a a different a different world potentially uh for next year. Uh, it's you know, it's still it's still early. Things could happen. And also, catcher, unlike outfielder, is a difficult position, and we see it with you know, it's also we see it with like Cal Rowley, and it's you know, Cal Rawleigh this year, and uh for insis conference every year. No, we see you know, Augustine Ramirez really flamed out. I don't think uh you know, I don't. I don't think catchers as easy as as easy as a position as outfielders. So it's uh, there there could be some thought to it though, about not punting the position if there's some really good guys at uh, if it's more than just one good guy. Because when it was one good guy, when it was just Cal Raleigh or whatever, or or William Contreras, which people tried to sell me for many years, but if it was just you know, when it was just Cal Raleigh, uh, it was like, okay, I mean, you know, you're you're right, you're you're basically rolling the dice that he's going to repeat a season that seemed completely out of nowhere. And there's all there was all kinds of red flags with cal Rawleigh that people did not want to they didn't want to address h during the preseason because I think, you know, people were so sold on like a sixty homer hitting catcher, which was never really you know, he was never really that guy. Like, you know, like we said it repeatedly in the preseason, cal Rawley was always a thirty homer two thirty hitter with a wild swing of incredible power. Last year that just was not gonna be repeated. But you know, Drake Baldwin, Ben Rice, like if these guys are playing one hundred and fifty games at and they're like dhing and playing first, and you know, assuming Ben Rice keeps catcher eligibility for next year, and like, you know, if these guys are so good that they're dhing, like Liam Hicks is dhing a bunch of games, he's playing first, some games shee Lang Eleiers is playing like you know, they're staying in the lineup. Like my big you know, my always, my big concern with catchers is always like you know, what are they going to get four hundred and twenty at bats versus like, you know, the five seventy five that you can pencil in for an everyday hitter from other positions. So yeah, I mean, it could be a whole new world with catchers. I don't know, I'm not one hundred percent there yet, but I could see potentially. That's my thought process at least as of right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think, you know, us not liking catchers, was not liking the standouts that we were talking about. The cal Raley's willing trais was fine, but like even when he was the number one catcher, it was like twenty five home runs to seventy five Good County numbers. It wasn't them being a top ten player on the Player Raider, like we're seeing three of them right now, you know, be at the top. It is a hard position. One of my favorite sayings is to find the best catcher of the second half, you know, find one of the worst catchers from the first half, because it's really hard to continue at catcher going on through the season. But as you mentioned, some of these guys are doing more than just catching. They're not taking that abuse. And when you're not catching, you also get to spend a little bit more time actually hitting, because if you're a full time catcher, there's a lot of time you spend with the pitchers that other people on the team, the outfielders, you know, all the position players are actually hitting and actually getting that practice. So if you're not managing as many pitchers, you have a dedicated guy or too, it's a little bit easier on that front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, completely, I yeah, I agree, And yeah, I mean I think it's really like if the catchers can push five thirty to five fifty at bats, like if the top catchers, that is, if they can get to five thirty five to fifty at bats and everything looks good like you know, then it's like, yeah, I mean, there could be something to it. I mean, Drake Bodwin just looks like a good hitter, like just in general, like he doesn't like not a catcher necessarily, just just a good hitter. Like I can see why, you know, he's, uh, he's they're trying to keep him in the lineup every day, even if it's not a catcher. Like he looks like really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely he does. And again so do has Ben Rice. He's looked good all season. Shay Langaliers has looked phenomenal. Liam Hicks has been like all these guys were talking about Liam Hicks, Ryan Jeffers, Hunter Goodman. Those are the six guys the numbers that I read off. They're all they've all been great. I mean Hunter Goodman has been the least great of them, and he has eleven home runs uh through the season. So that's that's a pretty solid catcher there. You know, we'll see. Let me ask you some you know, would you rather hear with the top guys. So we're talking about like the Drake, Baldwin, Ben Rice, Shae Langaliers group, which have them? Or we'll start high ord On Alvarez.
Speaker 2: I would go yord On.
Speaker 1: Okay, actually above yord On on the player raider, but it feels a little less secure, even though I don't know Matt Olsen.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I would go Matt Olson.
Speaker 1: Okay, mare commy, Oh you know.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm kind of I would actually I would go Baldwin, Rice Langoliers over more commie. I you know, I like more commy. I just worry that the expectations are now getting too out of control more comedy. Whereas I do think at some point, like they're gonna stop throwing him four steamers, I'm trying to hit another pitch. Whereas like I think like he's hitting like one fifty versus like breaking pitches or something like. I think there is I think at some point more Comedy could fall into a slump and people are gonna be like, uh oh, I mean I do like more comedy though, so I don't want to say, you know, sell them necessarily for anything, but I would go Bowin Right's Langelayers over more Comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, how about I'm gonna throw two names here just to kind of speed us up, Junior Camon Narrow and Nick Kurtz.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would, I would go both of the bats, both of them over those three catchers.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, good, I'm just asking you know, if we're looking at the player righter right now, more comedy is above both of them. But we know, you know, what they are right now is not necessarily where they are at the end of the season. So just just throwing those names against these top catchers, because again they are performing just amazingly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, totally, yeah, no, I yeah, I mean, I you know, I mean, I wasn't I drafted Langaliers in a few leagues because in a few two catcher leagues that is, uh where I where I didn't draft Augustine Ramirez oops from the two catcher leagues. I did like Langaliers' price because I like, you know, I like Sacramento, I like bing Bongs. I like Langaliers, so I was in on him. I did feel like, you know, laying our cards on the table. I did feel like Ben Rice was being overdrafted. So I was wrong on Ben Rice. I I was worried about the lefty platoon thing. Drake Baldwin. I would have drafted I think where he was going. I just I went with Langoleers instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Ryan Jeffers is on your Ale only leading team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I do I like. I like Jeffers is a guy who I have in a bunch of leagues too. I like Jeffers as well. I didn't I didn't in Liam Hicks, and I still don't really fully Goodman is. I think Goodman is who he is. I think he's a thirty homer two fifty to sixty hitter in you know, and he's in a good park. I mean, I don't think Hunter Goodman's a surprise in any way. I think he's he He was that coming into this year, and I think he's still that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Hunter Goodman is doing what we expected for the most part. I like Leam Hicks. I like what he's doing. It does feel like he's overperforming to some extent just looking at the underlying numbers. But he also just feels like somebody who just knows how to hit. I mean he does. He has a nine percent strikeout right, like at seven point nine percent of walk rate, Like he just knows how to put the bat on the ball, where to put it. I like Liam Hicks, like when I watch him play, he just feels like a guy who knows what he's doing with a baseball back kind of a throwback player to some extent, like Lampix. Actually, let's move over to middle infield Gray, where we have just a slew of players heading to the IL on the IL. Going back to the IL Jose al Tuve, beat On Part two, Deeverish Story, Cavillero, Corey Seeger, Jacob Wilson, JP Crawford, Mason Wyn, Carlos Correa. We're still missing Lindor and Jeremy Pania, Jackson, Holliday. All these guys are missing from middle infield. That is adding to the reason that middle infield is a little atrocious this season. So let's run through some you know rankings here for the listeners, and just give me a top three to five of some of the free agent middle infielders. I'll run off a bunch of names. You have the list, so you can kind of look through and get your thoughts while I run these names through. But Brian Rocchio, Ezekiel Durant, Marcus Simeon, Sam and Nacchi, Brandon Shoemake brooks Lee, Bryce Matthews, Michael Massey, Ezekiel Tovar, Mason Wynn. Feel free to throw in anybody else that that you would like into this. But this, this middle infield group is not great, but it's what we have available to us, and a lot of us are missing him. This week.
Speaker 2: Uh All and uh All had named that I don't know this guy's available in any leagues except for maybe the most shallow leagues. But on how Martinez has looked incredible for the Guardians, I think he's now I want to say he's cemented his place as the leadoff hitter. I think he's I think he's gonna stay there for at least for you know, the time being while he's hitting so well, I think there's also, you know, a case that possibly Brian Rokio is probably under owned, like and so those are both guardians I think, you know, on the Player Raider, I looked up for some reason, oh, when I was doing the when I was doing the Bycolm last week, I look up the rostership the ownership numbers for guys because I like to keep the by CAOLMN at fifty rostered or under, so I don't, you know, I try and keep it with guys who are available. So on hell, Martinez was was not really available, but he's been great, seems to be breaking out even I'll go as far as saying that. But anyway, the top guy who was roster who the top guy in the Player Raider who was rostered and under fifty percent of leagues was Brian Rochio. So he's under he's being undervalued. H you know, I don't think he's necessarily the most exciting of names because he's kind of of like, you know, very little power, very little speed, good contact, so hits for a decent enough average, but you know, it's a little it's not the most exciting profile. But Rochio has been actually very good. And then there's also Ezekiel Duran, I think has been better than anyone expected, even probably Ezekiel Duran. I I don't know if you really thought it. And now that Seeger's out, Duran's gonna have He's gonna have a good another good couple of weeks at least in the lineup. And he's also he's been hot for a few weeks now, So I would say Rochio Duran, and then i'd say Brooks Again, he's not the most exciting of profiles because like I mean, he's not gonna be high power, high speed. He actually doesn't even hit for a good average either. But he has been somewhat valuable. He's been playing, and he's done a little bit of everything with the emphasis on little. So I would say Rokio, durand Brooks Lee in that order. But Antonacci for speed is fine maybe for runs if he hits leadoff, he hasn't consistently. Ezekiel so far has been really disappointing as far as like waiver wire bats go. Marcus Simeon, I mean, I don't know what the Mets were thinking. You know, It's like he was so obviously cooked last year. There was no reason why Marcus Simeon should have ever been traded for, Like it just didn't make any sense. Polanco is also so obviously coming off of a career year and the Mets gave him like it just doesn't I mean, I guess it's just how the Mets do. Like it's like that's what the Mets do. But anyway, Yeah, that's my thoughts on most of those guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will say I uh, so far in the last week has started to hit. I don't know that there's anything to that. They They were also, I believe at home for most of that, so that's always kind of the piece of what's actually, No, he wasn't. I'm sorry he was only at home this weekend. But he's been hitting this week. Maybe there's something where he's coming around a little bit. But it's been pretty disappointed as somebody who thought it did really make sense where he was going in draft season. He seemed like a pretty good value. He has not been. And I will say Mason Win, I know he's a little banged up, but I feel like there's still you know, Mason Win from this year and Mason went from last year are really not that different. There's just been a little bit of health. He's played, you know, hasn't been in games. He's not been scoring any runs, which is kind of the biggest difference between last year and this year. But average is pretty much in line. He's still going to stay you some bases. So I feel like if Mason Win just gets you some runs, he's pretty much back to the player you thought he was gonna be a draft season. Time to talk about some sagged off and some save ops. Great over in Houston, Brian bray You gets a save. Both King and Enio Delas Santos were in the game earlier, so there was kind of a situation where he fell into it. But what are your thoughts here on the Houston bullpen As we patiently await the Hater return.
Speaker 2: I saw I saw a news blurb saying that Josh Hater wants to He just wants to get ten more appearances in the minor leagues. I was like, what is going on? Ten more appearances? Is he hoping to take the the Corpus Christie's am Squyers to the U Triple A UH Championship? Like what is going on here?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't understand why he needs so many appearances. It's almost like they want him to get enough appearances until he's finally injured again, like they're just waiting. They're just waiting for like, Okay, one more appearance. Eventually he's got to get injured, right. Yeah. I don't know if the Astros want to collect insurance or what, man, but yeah, A bray You looks like he has he has figured out his issues from earlier in the season, and A bray You looks like he's decent again. So I'd probably go to bray You first. Brian King I think is probably second, but I don't think i'd I don't think I would speculate on more than one guy, So i'd go Brian to bray You, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're really going after saves, I would say both Brian's are kind of in the mix. They're just splitting at this point, and you all feels like the third option in this grouping right now. He just has not performed well when they give him the save opportunities. Over in San Francisco, Caleb Killian got a save. Is this just his bullpen now for for save ops?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like it's Killian's job to lose. I uh, you know, I wouldn't put it past him to lose it either, but it does. It does seem like it's his job for right now at least, like his his command is a mess. Like I don't know, I mean, he does not look like a closer at all. I don't know, I'll be I'll be surprised to see him like last the whole season as the closer. But yeah, for now, Caleb Killian, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll probably be like the number five closer for the season and the great gray over in Texas, Jake Latts blows a save. Do you think he's losing his script there? Or is it still his job?
Speaker 2: I mean, he's again like another guy who like and not like they have other great guys behind him, but Lats is, I mean, Lats's numbers under the surface don't look very impressive, like, you know, barely a seven k per nine you know, good command, but eh, you know, decent ground balls, I guess, but he doesn't. He doesn't look like a closer to be honest. But I don't know if they really have anyone else that is, you know, worthwhile there to speculate on. So I would I would say Lats is fine for now until you know, until they until he blows another save or two and then starts speculating. But as of right now, I would say Lats is the closer, And I don't know, I mean, win Cole Winn looks decent under the surface, at least for his peripherals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it feels like Garcia is still like a month and a half two months away from getting back, so there's still some save opportunities to have here. It's just feels kind of clouded and not not like a great opportunity anyways. In regards to there's not really a oh if they got the job, I think they'd be really good type of person here. It's just it 'd be a little bit scary, all right, Greg giving people some way for our bats. Whoa whoa?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you know, like I mentioned earlier, on Hell Martinez has been great. He's rostered according to the ras Boll seven day Player Raider, he's rostered in eighty four percent of leagues, so technically probably not going to be available, but if on on Hell Martinez is available, I would pick him up. Also, Gavin Sheets has been incredibly hot Dayalen Lil Jake Berger, JJ Boude. I mean, come on, man, come on man. Kber Ruiz has been hot, Cedric Mullins, Mike Yastremsky, Casey Schmidt, Louis Arise, Matt McClain, Matt McClain, what, oh my god? Okay, Luke Raley has been hot, Kyle Menzardo, Harrison Bader, Brian Rochio who I mentioned earlier, Carson benj Kobe Mayo, Jacob Young A j Ewing is in the top twenty on the seven Day Play Raider in his first week of the major leagues. That's gotta be a record, right. We'll talk to Elijah Sports Bureau on that. Tera Wales has been Tara Walls has been hot, JP Crawford, Dylan Dangler, and Dane Myers. So there's some guys to pick up.
Speaker 1: All right. And on the pitching side, some streaming options for you, Peter Lambert at the Cubs, Edward Rodriguez versus the Rockies, Connor Prelip at Boston, Trevor McDonald versus the White Sox, the aforementioned, Zebbie, Matthews versus Houston, Sean Burke at Seattle, Martin Perez at Miami, Cage Cavali versus the Mets, Jansen John versus Atlanta, Luis Severino at the Angels, and Grant Homes versus Washington. There are some streamers. If you have more questions, you can find us on x I Am at Rasbeat on Gray's at Rasball. You can find us on YouTube dot com slash Rasball Fantasy or on rasball dot com in the comments section. May your line us be perfect, May you move up your standings and I will talk to you later.
Speaker 2: See you great, all right, ladies,